NATION

PASSWORD

Caluscaria seeks international aid! (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Fri Mar 26, 2021 10:10 am

"...but I suggest we set up a dual base camp system, one close to shore for basic logistics with the primary scientific mission being set up near where the slope becomes unstable....we can train the locals in the use of modern climbing equipment there and scout for the best accent before the joint mission ascends itself. That is my recommendation for your concurrence Wisest."

The Wisest listens to the proposal and takes a deep breath. A glance at Professor Cuaridim confirms the old man can count on him to support in the scientific mission on whatever the Alconians might need. A glance at Conscript Kwon reveals... well, it reveals nothing, as usual; but Wubana knows he will do his best as a local guide.

A last glance at High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma, still standing up with the pointer in her hand, meets a pair of timeless eyes that seem to watch inside his soul. The Caluscarian leader slowly joins his palms, keeping his eyes on hers, and slightly raises the innermost part of his eyebrows, tacitly pleading for her consent. Finally, she snorts and nods at the Wisest.

"Your suggestion is the best plan we could imagine", Wubana cheerfully replies. The druidess returns the pointer to the steward and sits down, her facial expression unreadable. "And you can count on us for whatever you need for your missions to succeed. Specifically, Professor Cuaridim will help you in the scientific mission and Conscript Kwon will be your guide".

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Fri Apr 02, 2021 11:40 am

Caluscaria wrote:
"Your suggestion is the best plan we could imagine", Wubana cheerfully replies. The druidess returns the pointer to the steward and sits down, her facial expression unreadable. "And you can count on us for whatever you need for your missions to succeed. Specifically, Professor Cuaridim will help you in the scientific mission and Conscript Kwon will be your guide".

The Baron nods "Thank You sir, I think we have a few hours more flight time before we'll be in your airspace...I will leave it to the Admiral to decide who should accompany us from the Marines...and work out some of the initial base camp details...Both I and the Doctor look forward to working with you all..."

The good Dr. keeps on swinging her head between her view of the Admiral and the Baron with a squinty eyed look. As though she is trying to figure something else out between the two men.

"...Research Team Out" the Baron states as the line closes off leaving the screen blank except for the large illuminated map.

"Ah...Good..." The Admiral begins and motions to the stewards..."serve the port...Ladies and Gentlemen tradition holds that at the end of such a meeting that we should have a bit of port and a toast with our desert. Being that we have a lovely island to go look at, I suggest instead that we have our toast and then wander out to the Promenade where I am told ice cream is being served."

As he speaks the stewards pass out small glasses of a dark, ruby red wine that seems to eat almost all of the light.
The Admiral leans over and whispers to the Wisest, "Er...usually the toast is by the most junior officer but I leave it to you if your side wishes to give a toast..."

As the last glasses are placed before the guests, the young Ensign stands and holds up his glass...The rest of the Alconian officers also stand...

"To our Duty to her Grace, the Keys, and the People!" He announces with practiced flourish, "and to better times in the land of Caluscaria!" He adds at the end...

This catches out some of the other officers but most just respond with a heart "Aye, Aye! as they also raise up their glasses.
If you haven't seen a sky furnace...
You're young...
Member: Federated Klatchian Coast
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:34 am

As he speaks the stewards pass out small glasses of a dark, ruby red wine that seems to eat almost all of the light.

The Caluscarians receive the forbidden drink in a confused silence, nervously glancing at the Wisest and not daring to touch their glasses.

Er...usually the toast is by the most junior officer but I leave it to you if your side wishes to give a toast...

"Yes, I appreciate it, thank you", the Wisest replies as he scratches his beard, trying to find the least politically-harming solution to this complex situation. On the one hand, the leader of the Caluscarians perfectly knows how important is a toast for making alliances, both in the personal and in the national levels; on the other hand, there is a Caluscarian decree forbidding the consumption of alcohol. Not an article of the Constitution of Caluscaria, but a clear implication from it.

Responsible drinking is not easy to teach to people who have never drunk. Wubana himself has never tried such dangerous beverages, although he has had the opportunity to talk about them with kings and chieftains of other countries. Some people claim that a copious meal can reduce the nocive effects of wine, something he could not bet his hand on. He tries to catch Doctor Rafaella's eye, but she is engaged in an intense conversation with Professor Cuaridim. Her advise could have been pretty useful at the moment, but calling for her help would be interpreted as a hesitation.

The Wisest of Calusaria stands up. "Before the toast, I would like to explain the meaning of this sign to the people of Caluscaria, because it is not something that we are used to in our nation", he says loudly. "A toast consists on raising a cup, naming a common goal and taking a small sip". There was the hint. "It is a sign of friendship, commitment and celebration. Some people say it has a magical meaning..."

Gustavo listens to the respectable old man's speech undaunted. He will raise his glass when the moment came, even if he knows there is no cockroach inside.

"... and hereby I ask you all", the Wisest continues, " to raise your glass and take a sip of this exquisite wine..."

... he leaves an intentional dramatic pause...

"For our friends who have come from the United Duchies to help us in the moments of need!"

Just as the Wisest takes the glass from the table and raises it, the rest of the Caluscarians raise their glasses and roar:

"FOR OUR FRIENDS!"

Well, the synchronization of voices could improve a bit with practise, but it sounds fine.

After that, the Wisest kisses the wine with his lips and puts his glass down on the table. Gustavo, Advisor Favedor and Professor Cuaridim take a sip, while Doctor Rafaella, Conscript Kwon and High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma just leave the glass on the table, not daring to touch the red liquid. The bodiguards' interpretation of taking a sip is much more liberal, though, and their glasses end up half empty (or half full, if you ask them).

"To our Duty to her Grace, the Keys, and the People!" He announces with practiced flourish, "and to better times in the land of Caluscaria!" He adds at the end...

The Caluscarians rise their glasses again - Bodyguard Kena has to ask for a refill - and respond to the young Ensign' toast with a shower of "AYE!"

Trying not to look at the bodyguards - who are now making their glasses clink while inventing their own toasts he luckily cannot hear - the Wisest keeps his cheerful smile and sits down.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:05 am

Admiral Keller turns to the Wisest. "So shall we lead our delegations to the promenade and let them mingle a bit while enjoying desert."

Some of the Alconians have noticed the obvious issues with supplying their guests with alcohol, and the body guards quickly discover they only to get two small glasses of the 'good stuff' before the glasses begin to be filled with a liquid that looks and states much the same but isn't actually alcoholic.

With the Wisest agreement the Admiral leads the group on to a long covered walkway that overlooks Caluscaria. It is open to the breeze coming off the warm sea and is quite pleasant. Deck chairs lay out along the deck in small groupings to allow for conversations. At one point a group of stewards stands behind a table set with goodies like ice cream, strawberries and other refreshments.

As the Admiral leads the Wisest to a particular spot he lets his staff begin to also intervene. Doctor Zarma of course renews his conversation with Doctor Rafaella. "Doctor, there has been a question dogging me and my staff about local medical service and traditions. You see, how are your Doctors and nurses trained?"

Advisor Favedor and Professor Cuaridim are engaged by Lieutenant Winton-Smith and steered away to another group. "Gentlemen, it was obvious during our tour that your government is interested in better leveraging the local seas for local transport. However, I think you both likely need some advice from someone who's grown up with that life style since we in the Outer Islands have very few roads between the islands...and none back to the Grand Isles..."

Burns attempts to tackle the High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma. "Madam your comments about your members being in touch with the land reminded me greatly of some of those who practice...well 'The Way' back home up in the hills. I am just wondering how similar they are...what is the central tenants of your...well path?"

Conscript Kwon discovers the midshipman Vormeer at his side. She smiles and then states, "Since your working with the expedition we should likely loan you some equipment here from stores so your ready for the rest of the expedition to arrive. Have you been trained in climbing gear and multi-frequency band radios?"

Gustavo finds his fellow reporter leaning back with a wry smile on his face. "Well, we got one screw up there..Alconian Navy serves port to teetotalers. But your locals didn't fly off the handle so its going to be a one day farce at best." He stands up and chuckles, "So who do you think is going to have the most newsworthy conversation out on deck...the Admiral or Lieutenant Winton-Smith?"
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:05 am

The Wisest is lost in the contemplation of the land he is meant to lead. Washed by water and ash, the island looks insignificant from the promenade. Without removing his eyes from it, he slowly raises his right hand towards his lips and licks the chilly ice cream. An unexpected shiver creeps down his spine as the cold substance slides down his throat.

"I wish they could be here and enjoy the view", he tells the Admiral. "You know what? Most Caluscarians have never seen the world beyond the island. It's not their fault, of course, our rafts wouldn't survive a long trip from our coasts... and I try to imagine how their life would be if they could travel beyond. One of your daughters was a pilot, wasn't she? You must be proud of her, visiting remote territories like her dad...", he softly smiles, trying to remember what did the Admiral's other daughter for a life. She was...

... an engineer, like Professor Cuaridim, who is listening to Lieutenant Winton-Smith.

"Yes, I know what you mean", the academic replies. "We're having the same problem with the Northern districts: too few roads for what we need".

"Trade with the Northern Districts is almost inexistent", Advisor Favedor adds, "which makes them almost develop on their own. A pity, because with better communications their economies would not only grow faster, but also accelerate."

"On the other hand, the available roads are difficult to maintain because of the wild life and our laws are too protective about the forest to build more..."

"It would not pay off", Favedor interrupts. "Wilderness attracts turism, which is the main feeder of our economy at the moment. Sacrificing it for the sake of future benefits would be too risky".

"Yes, I mean that", Cuaridim replies. "That's why I would like to build ships that circumnavigate the island".

"Of course, I'm sure the people from the Outer Islands have already considered it to transport people and cargo to the Grand Isles, haven't they?", Favedor asks the Lieutenant.

In another part of the promenade, Doctor Rafaella is explaining Doctor Zarma how Caluscarian doctors and nurses are trained in Caluscaria.

"It depends. We have many specialities but few books; in most of the cases, we start as apprentices, helping a doctor and learning by observation. I know some healers who cannot even read, but that's not the typical case. Others swallow whole towers of books before making eye contact with a real sickness".

"That's wha'she did!", Bodiguard Benjamin interrupts with an unusual out-of-tune voice, popping up from nowhere and leaving before anybody can reply.

Doctor Rafaella, stares at him and shakes her head.

"Actually, I started with more practice than theory", she confesses. "But as soon as I realized that my training was not enough to deal with all the cases, I started reading books. I got more questions than answers, but I learned a lot."

Not far from there, High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma explains Burns the tenets of her religion.

"We have no set of commandments or pillars of faith like other religions", she says. "Our main tenet is our commitment with the preservation of Nature. Did you know that most animals and plants are made of a community of small living cells? I am made of millions of cells, you are made of millions of cells... each of them is a living being; but together they are a sentent being. You have got a soul, a spirit, a mind... don't you?"

"Now think of the people living in the island", she goes on. "We are the Community of Caluscaria, but the same can be applied to the United Duchies or any other ecosystem. I'm sure your cells have not noticed your unique mind. Have you noticed that the people from an ecosystem have an unique mind?"

"Our beloved island is a sentient being and, since the day our civilization arrived. we have tried to integrate in the island. We do not want to be invaders, like bacteriae or viruses, but symbiotic life forms, like the ones who live in our bowels and help us assimilate the nutrients. By living in harmony with our land, we become a part of its body and, therefore, a part of its mind".

"Druid apprentices are chosen from people who show genuine commitment to preserve Nature. They are tought about the fauna, the flora and the soil; they learn how they are, how they behave... and how to commune with them. Our rituals are not a magic formula that just works; there is no mechanism to communicate with Nature as well as there is no mechanism to communicate with people", the druidess explains. "But yes, it help us feel one with the land, the trees, the birds, the clouds..."

Conscript Kwon turns to Midshipman Vormeer, his eyes slightly less slit-like than usual. Used to survive in harsh environments with rudimentary equipment, the opportunity to be able to use high tech tools makes his heart jump inside his chest.

"Not yet", he replies. "The most sophisticated tools I have used so far is a pair of big nails and a rope, in case I fall. But I will learn quickly to use your climbing gear".

"Yeah, it's our last opportunity to get a good interview", Gustavo agrees. "I'm sure you know it better than me, but my intuition tells me the Lieutenant's got an interesting story to tell"

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:02 pm

Caluscaria wrote:
"I wish they could be here and enjoy the view", he tells the Admiral. "You know what? Most Caluscarians have never seen the world beyond the island. It's not their fault, of course, our rafts wouldn't survive a long trip from our coasts... and I try to imagine how their life would be if they could travel beyond. One of your daughters was a pilot, wasn't she? You must be proud of her, visiting remote territories like her dad...",

"I've been proud of her for a number of things, though when she got her cadet wings was the proudest she ever was of herself." He smiles for a moment longer and then sighs. "I looked at her and part of me could not believe my little tomboy pocket hurricane, who seemed to be never able to stay in one place for more than thirty seconds, and had a tendency to cause mischief in her wake had knuckled down and earned those..."

The Admiral turns and points at a distant ship, "And the outside world came to Caluscaria...and its left its materials at your doorstep...but those materials, and our assistance is going to drive change. The question for you sir of course is how Caluscaria should change...because it will. My job is to try and make whatever actions the United Duchies does here works in favor of those changes...unless of course you want to name yourself Grand Puba or something..." He chuckles, "No desire to claim living Godhood I hope?"

"Of course, I'm sure the people from the Outer Islands have already considered it to transport people and cargo to the Grand Isles, haven't they?", Favedor asks the Lieutenant.

"Yes, though our problem is you can't build roads over deep water lagoons...especially ones as large as the Alconian crater is...the yanks pulled off a 38 km causeway on a lake of theirs somewhere but it would be out of the question for us." She pauses and takes a sip of her lemonade. "And for the last oh four hundred odd years we've used boats, small boats, larger vessels, etc...first small sailing ships then small steam ships and now larger motor craft using desiel electric engines." Winton-Smith looks at both of the locals.

"And you've pointed out all the devastation a road can cause...but what about all of the support materials and space boats will need? Boat yards typically are not small things, they contain need to contain machine shops, welding shops, carpenter shops, dry docks, material storage, fuel storage and waste treatment to just name a few of the usual activities needed to keep your boat operating rather than sinking and stinking. And then they need safe harbor for large storms so they don't wind up broken on the beach somewhere which means even more potential ecological changes. And note none of those things I just listed allows you to build a boat...just maintain it."
She watches the men's faces at her statement knowing that she just threw up a major roadblock to their ideas.

"Before you get discouraged gentlemen, you do know that the number of people in the world who like to tour places by sailing around in a boat is ten to twenty times that of people who will, or can, go back packing into a roadless wilderness?"

"Actually, I started with more practice than theory", she confesses. "But as soon as I realized that my training was not enough to deal with all the cases, I started reading books. I got more questions than answers, but I learned a lot."

The Alconian doctor nods, "Yes, apprenticeship was my personal guess based on something said earlier. But do you have medical libraries and other ways of disseminating learned knowledge? For example, how would you share information with the northern settlements about a new disease you find on the south side of the island? And what treatments were effective and not effective?"

Burns nods, "Quite, an interesting perspective on how to live with the land. Similar to Gia theories of the 'living earth' though the actual precepts of those concepts I haven't been quizzed on since University. But tell me how you see predatory actions, by creatures on other creatures..."

"Not yet", he replies. "The most sophisticated tools I have used so far is a pair of big nails and a rope, in case I fall. But I will learn quickly to use your climbing gear".

"Yes, which is why I was asking, I thought we should see about getting you at least kitted out and given the basics of what the equipment by some of the Marine units in the fleet." She has a slightly painful smile, likely because she knows that complains about Kwon by the peer are going to wind up on her head.

"Yeah, it's our last opportunity to get a good interview", Gustavo agrees. "I'm sure you know it better than me, but my intuition tells me the Lieutenant's got an interesting story to tell"

"Well she is the Klatchian Tiger in the room...Is that your national finance person with her?" He pulls up his camera and takes a photo. "The cynic in me hopes she would be caught trying to sell your government Winton's newest ship design or trying to buy the island to turn it into some secret research center...the humorist in me wants me to have her telling them she just found that her mother has the deed to the place so could they please fin their way to pay them the back rent owed" He sniffs, "But the realist in me knows she's a being a good little future Peer and advising them on something they didn't want to hear, but needed to."

He nods at Gustavo, "I think I'm going to see if I can arrange an interview with your Wisest...see how well he knows who he's getting into bed with...well figuratively. But I think that is a key story for your folks to know" He indicates Winton-Smith.
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:45 pm

The Admiral turns and points at a distant ship, "And the outside world came to Caluscaria...and its left its materials at your doorstep...but those materials, and our assistance is going to drive change. The question for you sir of course is how Caluscaria should change...because it will. My job is to try and make whatever actions the United Duchies does here works in favor of those changes...unless of course you want to name yourself Grand Puba or something..." He chuckles, "No desire to claim living Godhood I hope?"

Wubana scratches his beard, looking at the sky with a comical smile... and then bursts into a joyful laugh.

"Me... a god? Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha...No, no, no, no, no, no... I wouldn't change my life for the one of a god, looking after each droplet of the ocean to... flow in the right manner. No, it would be too much paperwork for me and, y'know, gods don't drink banana juice, always ambrosia nectar... No, I like being The Wisest, because I can help my neighbour build a fence against wild turtles and grow a banana tree in my yard".

The old man seems lost in his thoughts for a moment. "But I see your point: life ain't gonna be forever this way and our children or grandchildren will all be burocrats that will spend their free time playing video games and never touch the sand with their bare feet... I cannot fight this. As long as I can keep them together, I'll be happy".

"Yes, though our problem is you can't build roads over deep water lagoons...especially ones as large as the Alconian crater is...the yanks pulled off a 38 km causeway on a lake of theirs somewhere but it would be out of the question for us." She pauses and takes a sip of her lemonade. "And for the last oh four hundred odd years we've used boats, small boats, larger vessels, etc...first small sailing ships then small steam ships and now larger motor craft using desiel electric engines." Winton-Smith looks at both of the locals.

"And you've pointed out all the devastation a road can cause...but what about all of the support materials and space boats will need? Boat yards typically are not small things, they contain need to contain machine shops, welding shops, carpenter shops, dry docks, material storage, fuel storage and waste treatment to just name a few of the usual activities needed to keep your boat operating rather than sinking and stinking. And then they need safe harbor for large storms so they don't wind up broken on the beach somewhere which means even more potential ecological changes. And note none of those things I just listed allows you to build a boat...just maintain it."
She watches the men's faces at her statement knowing that she just threw up a major roadblock to their ideas.

"Before you get discouraged gentlemen, you do know that the number of people in the world who like to tour places by sailing around in a boat is ten to twenty times that of people who will, or can, go back packing into a roadless wilderness?"

Professor Cuaridim's eyes plummet to the floor, his gorgeous project sinking before setting sail. He was prepared for The Wisest to reject such an expensive enterprise, but if a person with a neutral point of view considers it unviable...

Advisor Favedor, however, does not look discouraged. Caressing his jaw with his right hand and dashing his eyes though figures only he can see, the economist is adding the new information to his calculations. Would the profits pay for the maintenance costs, plus the operation costs? The benefits should be impressive enough for The Wisest to ignore the archidruidess' complaints about the environmental impact.

"Why not have both?", he says at last, making Cuaridim slowly raise his eyes from his toes. "Sailing around for cargo, Caluscarians and old tourists... and backpacking through roadless wilderness for young adventurers? It is not going to be a one-shot go, of course. We'll have to develop the local industry in a way that makes sense even without the ship".

The engineer casts a confused glance at him, then at Lieutenant Winton-Smith.

"For example, you mentioned carpenter shops", Advisor Favedor continues. "These could be started as a project to improve our huts before asking them to collaborate with the shipyard. During the building phase, carpenter shops with low workload would contribute to the ship building. The same could apply to storage: we could build silos to store many things, including ship-related. The good thing of the building phase is the low maintenance cost".

The advisor stops his speech to smile at Quinn and pose for the photograph.

"Wait, do you know how long would all those preliminar projects take?", Professor Cuaridim asks.

"Of course, there is a cost of opportunity, because we would be stopping a lot of favours that would otherwise produce more favours", he goes on, ignoring the engineer's question. "We'll make a market study to forecast the business volume and the inactivity ratio, which should be kept at minimum. The question is whether the operating benefits would compensate what we'd have gotten if we'd spent our favours in a shorter-cycle project... I mean: is there another way to spend the citizens' efforts that would be better for the whole community? Numbers, I have to make numbers..."

"So our next project will be to build wooden houses?", Cuaridim asks.

"Numbers, numbers..."

The Alconian doctor nods, "Yes, apprenticeship was my personal guess based on something said earlier. But do you have medical libraries and other ways of disseminating learned knowledge? For example, how would you share information with the northern settlements about a new disease you find on the south side of the island? And what treatments were effective and not effective?"

"Yes, sort of", Dotor Rafaella replies. "Our libraries are full of books written by Caluscarians, so we can disseminate what we learn; but we've got too few foreign books and no access to internet, so we can't exchange knowledge with scientifics from other countries. Moreover, some of our foreign books might be obsolete and others are arguebly unreliable".

Burns nods, "Quite, an interesting perspective on how to live with the land. Similar to Gia theories of the 'living earth' though the actual precepts of those concepts I haven't been quizzed on since University. But tell me how you see predatory actions, by creatures on other creatures..."

High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma smiles, considering the posible implications of inviting those druids of Gia to an international congress.

"Predatory actions belong to Nature", she replies. "Some animals have evolved to be able to eat other animals as well as other animals are able to eat plants", she explains. "Both animals and plants are living beings and the life of an animal is as worthy as the life of a plant. Moreover, plants eat minerals from the soil, which is also alive. Some plants have broken rocks with their roots, so they have killed those rocks they grew on. This is the circle of life and we respect that. There are druids who refuse to eat meat, of course, but this is a personal commitment that we never require".

"Yes, which is why I was asking, I thought we should see about getting you at least kitted out and given the basics of what the equipment by some of the Marine units in the fleet." She has a slightly painful smile, likely because she knows that complains about Kwon by the peer are going to wind up on her head.

Conscript Kwon nods affirmatively.

"He nods at Gustavo, "I think I'm going to see if I can arrange an interview with your Wisest...see how well he knows who he's getting into bed with...well figuratively. But I think that is a key story for your folks to know" He indicates Winton-Smith.

"Okay. Good luck with The Wisest!", Gustavo says with a friendly smile.

The green skin heads towards the Klatchian Tiger, but not in straight line. In fact, he follows a fly-like trajectory that will hopefully allow him to overhear potentially interesting conversations.

"Mmmh, the brightest minds together!", he salutes, "May I join and, perhaps, learn something?"

Professor Cuaridim blushes, but Advisor Favedor arches an eyebrow at him.

"You were speaking about numbers, weren't you?", the reporter hints.

"Nothing interesting, really", Favedor declares, grinning at Gustavo with a tense jaw.

"I cannot see how you couldn't find an interesting topic of conversation with someone as multifacetic as Lieutenant Winton-Smith!", he winks at her. "I'm sure there's an interesting life hidden under that military uniform. What do you do when you are not sailing the Ocean, if I may ask?"

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:19 pm

Caluscaria wrote:The old man seems lost in his thoughts for a moment. "But I see your point: life ain't gonna be forever this way and our children or grandchildren will all be burocrats that will spend their free time playing video games and never touch the sand with their bare feet... I cannot fight this. As long as I can keep them together, I'll be happy".

"I truthfully hope your population doesn't become one of beaurcrats, the island would be deforested just to support their need for filing paperwork...to file paperwork...to show they filed the paperwork properly...." He chuckles at that. "No, but as changes come not all of the factions of your island are going to be happy. I mean your Druid isn't going to be keen on you having to cut down a couple of trees to build a boat for example. Or when your scientist winds up with an array of seismic sensors and the computing power to support analyzing the island's geologic behavior using science rather than her communing with the island."

The Admiral appears ready to continue on but is interrupted.

There is a loud cough and the Alconian reporter steps forward, "Ah may I introduce myself Wisest sir, Ellery Quinn,...I'm doing a story for Klatchian News Network, I wondered if I could ask for some of your time to do an interview about your local disaster here and how the Alconians are assisting in your recovery efforts?"

The Admiral sighs but holds his tongue, just looking at the man in the fedora with a blank expression.

"Of course, there is a cost of opportunity, because we would be stopping a lot of favours that would otherwise produce more favours", he goes on, ignoring the engineer's question. "We'll make a market study to forecast the business volume and the inactivity ratio, which should be kept at minimum. The question is whether the operating benefits would compensate what we'd have gotten if we'd spent our favours in a shorter-cycle project... I mean: is there another way to spend the citizens' efforts that would be better for the whole community? Numbers, I have to make numbers..."

"So our next project will be to build wooden houses?", Cuaridim asks.

"Numbers, numbers..."

"Sorry, I can't help you on numbers since I don't know how your converting tourist hard currency into favors and back out again. But you've missed two key items, the first is skilled personnel, which you don't have any of as far as I can see...and licensing which might allow you to gain hard currency income, access to skilled personnel, provide positive need for multi-use facilities and avoid diverting too much of your local 'favor' income into a long term investment scheme versus immediate rebuilding projects..." Winton states just before she hears Gustavo make his introduction.

"Mmmh, the brightest minds together!", he salutes, "May I join and, perhaps, learn something?"

Professor Cuaridim blushes, but Advisor Favedor arches an eyebrow at him.

"You were speaking about numbers, weren't you?", the reporter hints.

"Nothing interesting, really", Favedor declares, grinning at Gustavo with a tense jaw.

"I cannot see how you couldn't find an interesting topic of conversation with someone as multifacetic as Lieutenant Winton-Smith!", he winks at her. "I'm sure there's an interesting life hidden under that military uniform. What do you do when you are not sailing the Ocean, if I may ask?"

The young woman raises an eyebrow at this. She sips at her lemonade to give her time to figure out how to respond. "Usually, when I get asked about what is 'under my uniform' it is usually a prelude to someone's attempt to convince me to have sex with them...so I am a bit lost on this as a start of a journalistic interview, but for future reference...none of us are hiding within our uniforms sir...it is a part of all Alconian citizens, a byproduct of our history and the region we live in. But when I am not sailing the ocean in uniform, I am sailing it out of uniform...or working on my boat, or reading a good book." She takes a sip of her lemonade to see how the reporter fairs with her response.

"Yes, sort of", Dotor Rafaella replies. "Our libraries are full of books written by Caluscarians, so we can disseminate what we learn; but we've got too few foreign books and no access to internet, so we can't exchange knowledge with scientifics from other countries. Moreover, some of our foreign books might be obsolete and others are arguebly unreliable".

"Ah, yes and depending on their age you might have major changes in practice in the outside world you would not know of. I suppose the largest issue with an internet connection would be the relative cost in...well...hard currency."

This is the circle of life and we respect that. There are druids who refuse to eat meat, of course, but this is a personal commitment that we never require".

"Yes, unfortunately living in the Klatch means that who is predator and who is prey can become...confusing...Manx kills Hassan, Hassan kills Manx...a never ending bitter struggle for species dominance...which is why we likely are always wondering about where we are standing ourselves at any moment."

Conscript Kwon nods affirmatively.
[/quote]

"Ah good, I will see about getting you a ride over to the Otto at the end of the reception." She smiles again and vanishes back through a doorway leaving Kwon to his own devices.
Last edited by Alcona and Hubris on Mon Apr 26, 2021 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat May 01, 2021 11:31 am

There is a loud cough and the Alconian reporter steps forward, "Ah may I introduce myself Wisest sir, Ellery Quinn,...I'm doing a story for Klatchian News Network, I wondered if I could ask for some of your time to do an interview about your local disaster here and how the Alconians are assisting in your recovery efforts?"

The Wisest interpretes the Admirals' sigh as an end of the conversation and turns to the reporter.

"Yes, of course", the old man replies to Ellery, "What do you want to know?", he asks, still thinking in Kruller's prophetic words. Controversy was knocking on the doors of the Community of Caluscaria...

Usually, when I get asked about what is 'under my uniform' it is usually a prelude to someone's attempt to convince me to have sex with them...

Gustavo laughs as his face turns a brighter shade of green at the Lieutenant's words.

none of us are hiding within our uniforms sir...it is a part of all Alconian citizens, a byproduct of our history and the region we live in. But when I am not sailing the ocean in uniform, I am sailing it out of uniform...or working on my boat, or reading a good book.

"So navigation is really in your veins", the reporter appreciates, repressing an alternative interpretation of sailing it out of uniform. "Some people say that loving your job is one of the keys to happiness, so congratulations", he adds with a wide smile.

"But you also like reading", the green skin comments. "Would you recommend a book to our... readers?"

"Ah, yes and depending on their age you might have major changes in practice in the outside world you would not know of. I suppose the largest issue with an internet connection would be the relative cost in...well...hard currency."

"Actually, there was a sort of political issue and internet access was forbidden", Doctor Rafaella grimly replies. "In my opinion, whoever did it lacked perspective... and I think rulers should acquire some insight before banning technology", she groans, visibly angry.

"Yes, unfortunately living in the Klatch means that who is predator and who is prey can become...confusing...Manx kills Hassan, Hassan kills Manx...a never ending bitter struggle for species dominance...which is why we likely are always wondering about where we are standing ourselves at any moment."

"Yes, I know what you mean", High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma comments. "We've got a plant that eats animals: its fruits seggregate a substance that dissolves any insect that may break in through its skin. Some big animals eat that fruit and they find it acid; what they don't know is that, while they are eating the fruit, the fruit itself is eating them".

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sun May 02, 2021 12:14 pm

Caluscaria wrote:
"Yes, of course", the old man replies to Ellery, "What do you want to know?", he asks, still thinking in Kruller's prophetic words. Controversy was knocking on the doors of the Community of Caluscaria...

"Well I would like to get some basic information sir, first how long ago did you assume your current position? Additionally, how does your position relate to the national treasury of Caluscaria and Caluscuaria's national assets?"

Kruller says nothing but eyes Ellery like a father seeing one of his girls dating a boy with a bad reputation. The kind of cold, iron hard glare that wants to see him make one wrong move to justify dropping the hammer.

"So navigation is really in your veins",

He gets an eyebrow raise at this. As the poor reporter just said the equivalent of 'so have ink in your blood' to a Disney.

"But you also like reading", the green skin comments. "Would you recommend a book to our... readers?"

"You do realize that a very dangerous question you've asked? Or are you seeing what I, and perhaps we Alconian's prioritize?" She sips at her lemonade seeing the reporters response.

"Instead, I will suggest something practical your populace as well as of interest to these two gentlemen...she pulls out her phone and looks through a few screens..."Ah yes...I suggest 'Buildings of Earth and Straw' by Bruce King." She looks over at the two Caluscarians..."That text will likely help to massively improve the structural integrity and comfort of Caluscarian homes compared to your current methods, while still relying on existing and available resources. I had to write a book report on it in the academy."

"Actually, there was a sort of political issue and internet access was forbidden", Doctor Rafaella grimly replies. "In my opinion, whoever did it lacked perspective... and I think rulers should acquire some insight before banning technology", she groans, visibly angry.

"Unfortunately the control of information is seen as a means to control the populace for good and bad. I can't argue too strongly against those organizations that do so for religious reasons, usually because ultimately those groups are voluntary in nature...if someone doesn't like it they can leave...but the political based controls usually enable sort term stability for long term catastrophe. Hubarian's learned that well after the First World War, but..." He looks over at the Admiral. "...interfering in local politics too much might be a bit...problematic for us colonizing reprobates."

"Yes, I know what you mean", High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma comments. "We've got a plant that eats animals: its fruits seggregate a substance that dissolves any insect that may break in through its skin. Some big animals eat that fruit and they find it acid; what they don't know is that, while they are eating the fruit, the fruit itself is eating them".

"So is there an official catalog of Caluscarian plant and animal life? I can think of an ex-girlfriend who'd love to be able to document your acid fruit to go along with her various carnivorous plants...she runs a biological garden of carnivorous plants in London."
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat May 15, 2021 9:26 am

Well I would like to get some basic information sir, first how long ago did you assume your current position? Additionally, how does your position relate to the national treasury of Caluscaria and Caluscuaria's national assets?

The Wisest scratches his beard while he thoughtfully looks up. "Mmmmh... that was a long time ago... let me think... ten years?", he replies. "It seems a whole life for me and, well, it was: it utterly changed my life, believe me!"

The old man laughs as though he had just said a joke. "National treasury, you say?", he repeats, "I've got a good advisor, y'know Favedor around here: he's good with numbers and so on... but the last word's mine, if you ask me".

"Caluscarians don't use money, they're good at collaborating: one day I do a favour for you, another day you do a favour for me...", Wubana explains," they don't exchange cash, but economists started using the word 'favour' in their statistics, as though it were an actual coin. You can imagine why, when we started trading with other nations, we issued bills nominated in favours".

"Instead, I will suggest something practical your populace as well as of interest to these two gentlemen...she pulls out her phone and looks through a few screens..."Ah yes...I suggest 'Buildings of Earth and Straw' by Bruce King." She looks over at the two Caluscarians..."That text will likely help to massively improve the structural integrity and comfort of Caluscarian homes compared to your current methods, while still relying on existing and available resources. I had to write a book report on it in the academy."

Gustavo slowly blinks. "A survivalist? No doubt a good navigator is the one who can build her own home wherever she docks a ship!", he remarks, writing down in his notebook.

"... and that's an advice I could follow!", Professor Cuaridim adds. "Won't you happen to have that book around? Acquiring foreign books is really hard and perhaps, if I could have a look and get the main ideas...", he trails off, blushed.

"... we'd owe you a small favour", Advisor Favedor finishes with a wide smile.

The engineer's eyes dart to the advisor's and back to the Lieutenant's, while he unconsciously rubs his hands.

"So you're in favour of supporting foreign text imports?", Gustavo asks the economist, frenetically scribing.

"Of course. Culture and education pay off in the long term", he replies, apparently offended by the question.

"That's wonderful! I'll let you go on with the details after one last question", the reporter says, turning to Winton-Smith. "We would like to know about your childhood, the home you grew up, your parents. What builds an outstanding person like you in a wild place like the Klatch?"

Hubarian's learned that well after the First World War, but..." He looks over at the Admiral. "...interfering in local politics too much might be a bit...problematic for us colonizing reprobates."

"Yes, there's nothing we can do about it...", Doctor Rafaella replies with a defeated voice, "... but wish they'll eventually have the wits to stop building walls to the medical science".

"So is there an official catalog of Caluscarian plant and animal life? I can think of an ex-girlfriend who'd love to be able to document your acid fruit to go along with her various carnivorous plants...she runs a biological garden of carnivorous plants in London."

"Oh, I would really love to visit her biological garden of carnivorous plants if I ever go to London", High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma says with a melifluous voice. "That would allow me to get an even more thorough lore about Nature".

"And yes, there is a book titled 'The Turtle Walks Around The Island' that describes the flora and fauna, but it's not complete", she replies to the question about the catalog. "Neither official nor complete, but it's the best written essay. If she reads the book and wants to know more, I'd recommend her to ask a druid for deeper details and hidden species".

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Fri May 21, 2021 4:22 pm

Caluscaria wrote:The old man laughs as though he had just said a joke. "National treasury, you say?", he repeats, "I've got a good advisor, y'know Favedor around here: he's good with numbers and so on... but the last word's mine, if you ask me".

"Ah, so you are in control of the national treasury...thank you..."

"Caluscarians don't use money, they're good at collaborating: one day I do a favour for you, another day you do a favour for me...", Wubana explains," they don't exchange cash, but economists started using the word 'favour' in their statistics, as though it were an actual coin. You can imagine why, when we started trading with other nations, we issued bills nominated in favours".

"So wait, you don't use money but you have money that is denominated in favors. So you have money, the people just don't get to have any, they have to bargain their favors between each other. But how are those folks over there fed?" He points to the body guards, "they don't seem to be suffering from malnutrition..."

Gustavo slowly blinks. "A survivalist? No doubt a good navigator is the one who can build her own home wherever she docks a ship!", he remarks, writing down in his notebook.

"Hardly a survivalist text, it is an engineering text..." She comments.

"... and that's an advice I could follow!", Professor Cuaridim adds. "Won't you happen to have that book around? Acquiring foreign books is really hard and perhaps, if I could have a look and get the main ideas...", he trails off, blushed.

"You could see if the ship's library has a copy...but personally I got mine from the Library. If you had an Alconian Embassy here...well you'd likely be able to borrow a copy of that and other texts through an interlibrary loan."

She just seems to have a small smile at that comment.

"That's wonderful! I'll let you go on with the details after one last question", the reporter says, turning to Winton-Smith. "We would like to know about your childhood, the home you grew up, your parents. What builds an outstanding person like you in a wild place like the Klatch?"

She blinks at him, "You do realize your the first person to ever ask me what I thought of my life growing up? My life has been usually either maligned or praised by my mother's or sister's political enemies or their allies and media handlers...though my sister seems to proven to be a modern media savant herself...but no Gustavo, I won't do your job for you...after all you need to do some research. But how do you think I feel about growing up in rolling hills and valleys filled with dairy cows, or rows upon rows of tea bushes, or plantations of live oak or blue pines? With the ocean always nearby, the distant sound of surf penetrating almost everywhere? Of course the tags and I loved it...so does my sister...and my mother...though she grew up in Thunderbay."

"Yes, there's nothing we can do about it...", Doctor Rafaella replies with a defeated voice, "... but wish they'll eventually have the wits to stop building walls to the medical science".

"I am sure they have their reasons, but at least you can get a chance to learn something while we poor colonial reprobates are about." He smiles slightly, "After all this was designed to be a training mission for us...educating one more doctor isn't much of a burden."

"And yes, there is a book titled 'The Turtle Walks Around The Island' that describes the flora and fauna, but it's not complete", she replies to the question about the catalog. "Neither official nor complete, but it's the best written essay. If she reads the book and wants to know more, I'd recommend her to ask a druid for deeper details and hidden species".

"Er...well where would get a copy of this book?"
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat May 22, 2021 7:36 am

"You could see if the ship's library has a copy...but personally I got mine from the Library. If you had an Alconian Embassy here...well you'd likely be able to borrow a copy of that and other texts through an interlibrary loan."

She just seems to have a small smile at that comment.

Professor Cuaridim genuinely smiles.

"That's a very good idea!", he exclaims, "I'm going to propose The Wisest to invite you to stablish an embassy here so that we can exchange books".

Leaving the group, he heads to the leader of Caluscaria, who is currently speaking to an unknown Alconian.

Ah, so you are in control of the national treasury...thank you...

The Wisest's eyebrows sequentially arch in confusion, as though a wave had crossed them from side to side, keeping his polite smile as much as he can.

"So wait, you don't use money but you have money that is denominated in favors. So you have money, the people just don't get to have any, they have to bargain their favors between each other. But how are those folks over there fed?" He points to the body guards, "they don't seem to be suffering from malnutrition..."

"They're well fed and well trained. What use would a hungry bodyguard have?", Wubana laughs, "I know they get a bigger ration than the rest, for the same reason as the people who set sail for fish get more rafts. We're a community and share the things we've got", he says with a stern voice.

The old man sighs. "People don't eat all the bananas they grow, so they store them where everybody can get as much as they need", he explains. "If they need a haircut, they go to the hairdresser... and nobody tells them 'Hey your're cutting your hair too short!'. That'd be weird, wouldn't it?", he adds, comically.

"Excuse me, Wisest", Professor Cuaridim interrupts with the most politically correct manners he can muster. "The Alconians are proposing us to stablish an embassy in order to exchange books!"

"Yes, they've told me so", the Wisest replies with a fatherly smile. "And I have agreed".

The engineer smiles, his pupils growing bigger and bigger.

She blinks at him, "You do realize your the first person to ever ask me what I thought of my life growing up? My life has been usually either maligned or praised by my mother's or sister's political enemies or their allies and media handlers...though my sister seems to proven to be a modern media savant herself...but no Gustavo, I won't do your job for you...after all you need to do some research. But how do you think I feel about growing up in rolling hills and valleys filled with dairy cows, or rows upon rows of tea bushes, or plantations of live oak or blue pines? With the ocean always nearby, the distant sound of surf penetrating almost everywhere? Of course the tags and I loved it...so does my sister...and my mother...though she grew up in Thunderbay."

Gustavo silently nods as he takes notes. So that reporter on TV was her sister? He might have to check out. What was evident was that the Klatchian Tiger found her rage in the pressure of being expected to be as notable as her mother and her sister. A stressing family, even before considering the political war around them.

"An inspiring family, I must say", Advisor Favedor comments. "I'm sure your mother made a try at teaching you the basics of her business before you two decided to go for your inarguably successful occupations... how do you think she would like selling to another nations? Our incipient industry would appreciate it and we'd owe you a favour..."

"I am sure they have their reasons, but at least you can get a chance to learn something while we poor colonial reprobates are about." He smiles slightly, "After all this was designed to be a training mission for us...educating one more doctor isn't much of a burden."

"I love this training mission", Doctor Rafaella replies, clumsily raising her juice like if she wer about to make a toast. Then she just drinks the rest in one shot. "I cannot wait", she adds, stretching her lips in what, with a bit of imagination, might look like a hint of a smile.

"Er...well where would get a copy of this book?"

"I can recommend you a library", High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma whispers. "You only have to tell them that I'm sending you".

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Mon May 24, 2021 4:56 pm

Caluscaria wrote:
"They're well fed and well trained. What use would a hungry bodyguard have?", Wubana laughs, "I know they get a bigger ration than the rest, for the same reason as the people who set sail for fish get more rafts. We're a community and share the things we've got", he says with a stern voice.

The old man sighs. "People don't eat all the bananas they grow, so they store them where everybody can get as much as they need", he explains. "If they need a haircut, they go to the hairdresser... and nobody tells them 'Hey your're cutting your hair too short!'. That'd be weird, wouldn't it?", he adds, comically.

"So they are fed a ration of food from the central distribution point where all food, beyond the farmer's own need is then common property..."

"Excuse me, Wisest", Professor Cuaridim interrupts with the most politically correct manners he can muster. "The Alconians are proposing us to stablish an embassy in order to exchange books!"

"Yes, they've told me so", the Wisest replies with a fatherly smile. "And I have agreed".

The engineer smiles, his pupils growing bigger and bigger.

The reporter looks up and then over at the Admiral, "You have asked to set up an embassy here sir?"

"No treaty has been yet worked out, but setting up a regional embassy here could be considered per my writ by the Outer Minister."

"Ah, so the United Duchies is going to open an embassy in a Communist country then?"

The Admrial glanced over at the wisest. "Obviously, the Hubarian record with Marxist Communism shouldn't cloud establishing good relations with the people here..."

"An inspiring family, I must say", Advisor Favedor comments. "I'm sure your mother made a try at teaching you the basics of her business before you two decided to go for your inarguably successful occupations... how do you think she would like selling to another nations? Our incipient industry would appreciate it and we'd owe you a favour...

"Military service is compulsory in the United Duchies sir, especially for someone in my... position...and my mother served both in the Navy herself as well as the Duke's personal envoy at times. But would the company managers have a problem selling you a ship?...No, but my recommendation is that you contract with a reputable, small cruise company to provide regular cruise and cargo services around the island, with a contract provision for training slots so they train your own people as merchant sailors and look to starting up a provisioning yard too."

She sips her drink, noticing the doctor sort of going into orbit for a moment and then causing massive silence. "...Then in seven or eight years you'll have people trained and experienced who can staff the ship and enough of a logistics hub it won't spend half of its time sitting in a maintenance berth in China Wright"

"It will also give you time to build up some hard currency reserves to buy a ship with, as well as build up some political capital as well for dealing with people who might be more conservative in their politics" Her eyes very clearly dart to the priestess's group as she says this then returns to the advisor.

"It also gives you time to see about grabbing an existing ship...something small, decently maintained, and affordable that you can cheaply modify for your rather limited costal traffic needs or even do the design work for a custom built ship. And my family's ship building firm can help, for the right number of favors, with either of those tasks."

She again sips..."But you don't want to run off and just buy something, you have no crew, no logistics, no laws, no support ...Unless of course the Wisest just really wants to go buy an Otto to go threaten the neighbors..." She points at the other 'hospital ship' viewable towards the stern. "Those go for about...1.8 to 2.5 Billion depending on how closely and attentively you want your neighbors to listen to the Wisest..."

"I love this training mission", Doctor Rafaella replies, clumsily raising her juice like if she wer about to make a toast. Then she just drinks the rest in one shot. "I cannot wait", she adds, stretching her lips in what, with a bit of imagination, might look like a hint of a smile.

The Alconains standing around fall quiet with her. Not able to follow her at all and trying to figure out if she is being sarcastic, or making a joke at their expense. The silence grows awkward...

"I can recommend you a library", High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma whispers. "You only have to tell them that I'm sending you".

"That would be nice, thank you"
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat May 29, 2021 3:03 am

"Ah, so the United Duchies is going to open an embassy in a Communist country then?"

The Admrial glanced over at the wisest. "Obviously, the Hubarian record with Marxist Communism shouldn't cloud establishing good relations with the people here..."

Perfectly aware that the differences in political ideologies might cause rejection from other social strata beyond the humanitarian aid military, the leader of the Caluscarians uses the wisdom his job is named after: he just smiles and nods. Uttering a single word in this moment would be too risky.

"Military service is compulsory in the United Duchies sir, especially for someone in my... position...and my mother served both in the Navy herself as well as the Duke's personal envoy at times. But would the company managers have a problem selling you a ship?...No, but my recommendation is that you contract with a reputable, small cruise company to provide regular cruise and cargo services around the island, with a contract provision for training slots so they train your own people as merchant sailors and look to starting up a provisioning yard too."

"That's a very good idea", Advisor Favedor replies after considering it for a few seconds. "This way we would get the professional service from the first day and we would be getting the know-how through those merchant sailors in training".

"It will also give you time to build up some hard currency reserves to buy a ship with, as well as build up some political capital as well for dealing with people who might be more conservative in their politics" Her eyes very clearly dart to the priestess's group as she says this then returns to the advisor.

"It also gives you time to see about grabbing an existing ship...something small, decently maintained, and affordable that you can cheaply modify for your rather limited costal traffic needs or even do the design work for a custom built ship. And my family's ship building firm can help, for the right number of favors, with either of those tasks."

"Fantastic, we'll be in contact", the economist replies, rubbing his hands.

She again sips..."But you don't want to run off and just buy something, you have no crew, no logistics, no laws, no support ...Unless of course the Wisest just really wants to go buy an Otto to go threaten the neighbors..." She points at the other 'hospital ship' viewable towards the stern. "Those go for about...1.8 to 2.5 Billion depending on how closely and attentively you want your neighbors to listen to the Wisest..."

"Well, we actually have some laws", the advisor replies, "but I know what you mean: with our limited international commerce experience and infrastructure, there are many risks, specially in the security sector". He rests both hands on his back, each one grabbing each other, and straights himself, looking a bit taller. "Our military forces would surely find a use for one of your Ottoes, but the roughly two billions would surely mean a lot of great favours that we cannot afford in our current situation. At any rate", he adds, bracing himself with each hand under the other's armpit and keeping the thumbs up, "the security expenditure should be proportional to the secured assets, so probably buying an Otto would be excessive at the moment. We might consider cheaper defences or even just rely on insurance".

The Alconains standing around fall quiet with her. Not able to follow her at all and trying to figure out if she is being sarcastic, or making a joke at their expense. The silence grows awkward...

Doctor Rafaella blinks twice, confused by the awkward silence, slow to understand its cause.

"Oh, I really mean it, literally", she finally says. "This is good", she explains with a serious nod.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Mon May 31, 2021 12:47 pm

"So your not giving the opposition a major coup by claiming the government is cozying up to Communists?" The reporter's eyes narrowed to slits, glaring at the officer.

"The United Duchies saw a people and nation in need and acted, the fact that those who need our help are in such a position may, or may not, be related to their chosen economic structure. But point of fact Communism was a conceived economic model long before Marx even hinted at existing, Thomas Moore's Utopia being an interesting example,. but calling the Caluscaria the return of the Pumba is a bit...extreme."

"Thank You...Admiral...Wisest...How do you feel about the Admiral implying that women are owned as communal property in your country?"

The Admiral can be heard choking on his drink.

Caluscaria wrote:
"That's a very good idea", Advisor Favedor replies after considering it for a few seconds. "This way we would get the professional service from the first day and we would be getting the know-how through those merchant sailors in training".

The Lieutenant nods at this, a slight smile as she notes the advisor realizes the benefits of her idea.

She raises an eyebrow at him and chuckles..."I really was not being serious...the Ottos were designed for Alconian military policy in the Klatch...the old sword and dagger...Caluscaria owning an Otto in the Thousand islands would likely just get it taken away by some of the far more militant nations of the region. For Caluscaria, you mostly would need vessels designed for search and rescue with enough fire power to make it economically negative for someone to come and take over...and you have zero sailors to man even those at the moment."

There are chuckles all around, "Doctor, reading you is quite confusing..." someone says and there are a few more chuckles around. "We spend too much time with Dyellians...Doctor...we're always waiting for the knife to suddenly appear heading for our backs..."
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:45 pm

Thank You...Admiral...Wisest...How do you feel about the Admiral implying that women are owned as communal property in your country?

The Wisest bursts into laugh. "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... oh, sorry!", he apologizes, giggling. "That was a good twist of meaning for the Admiral's words, but I'm sure he didn't mean that. There are many ways of being communist without being sexist and, believe me, we do not treat women worse than men. Communism was a need when Caluscaria was founded, because this was a wild land and people had to collaborate and share in order to survive. If we are here today, it is because our ancestors stayed together", he solemnly declares.

She raises an eyebrow at him and chuckles..."I really was not being serious...the Ottos were designed for Alconian military policy in the Klatch...the old sword and dagger...Caluscaria owning an Otto in the Thousand islands would likely just get it taken away by some of the far more militant nations of the region. For Caluscaria, you mostly would need vessels designed for search and rescue with enough fire power to make it economically negative for someone to come and take over...and you have zero sailors to man even those at the moment."

Advisor Favedor frowns a bit, but he quickly recovers his cold stance. "Never underestimate the learning capacity of a young Caluscarian", he replies. "About the search and rescue vessels, I'm sure you have a fine ship for a fair price".

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:14 pm

Caluscaria wrote:
The Wisest bursts into laugh. "Ha, ha, ha, ha, ha... oh, sorry!", he apologizes, giggling. "That was a good twist of meaning for the Admiral's words, but I'm sure he didn't mean that. There are many ways of being communist without being sexist and, believe me, we do not treat women worse than men. Communism was a need when Caluscaria was founded, because this was a wild land and people had to collaborate and share in order to survive. If we are here today, it is because our ancestors stayed together", he solemnly declares.

"Well then how are you going to deal with having a ship full of individual property capitalists wandering around your island home?"

Advisor Favedor frowns a bit, but he quickly recovers his cold stance. "Never underestimate the learning capacity of a young Caluscarian", he replies. "About the search and rescue vessels, I'm sure you have a fine ship for a fair price".

"You want me to sell you a ship while on Government business before the local press?" She indicates the reporter. "I think my sister would figure out how to charter a sea plane to come out here and throttle me. My suggestion to yourself and to my chain of command will be to send you and the engineers out to visit a naval ship yard and procurement officer to discuss your needs. Of course your also going to have to pony up hard currency for those purchases."
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:03 pm

"Well then how are you going to deal with having a ship full of individual property capitalists wandering around your island home?"

"Ah, yes, that's the big question!", the Wisest replies, swinging his forefinger and nodding with the patronizing smile of a teacher rewarding a student for raising a good point. "Mostly though foreign tourism companies: they negotiate the price of all-included holiday packs with the Minister of Tourism and buy, say, one thousand of those packs, which they sell to those individual property capitalists you mentioned. They get everything for free here, because Caluscarians know the Government will owe them favours. Of course, money itself does not flow; but the Government pays those favours by providing... well, everything we distribute".

"You want me to sell you a ship while on Government business before the local press?" She indicates the reporter. "I think my sister would figure out how to charter a sea plane to come out here and throttle me. My suggestion to yourself and to my chain of command will be to send you and the engineers out to visit a naval ship yard and procurement officer to discuss your needs. Of course your also going to have to pony up hard currency for those purchases."

"No, no, of course!", Advisor Favedor exclaims. "I was meaning later with more time and privacy! I need my tools and my notes to take a decision on the purchase, anyway, so I could not do it here and now", he explains.

"And I need to request the Wisest's approval, depending on the price", he adds after a while. "There are procedures, you know".

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:03 pm

Caluscaria wrote:

"No, sir I mean the Admiral and the rest of the Alconians..."

"No, no, of course!", Advisor Favedor exclaims. "I was meaning later with more time and privacy! I need my tools and my notes to take a decision on the purchase, anyway, so I could not do it here and now", he explains.

"And I need to request the Wisest's approval, depending on the price", he adds after a while. "There are procedures, you know".

"I don't think you should rush into buying things, but my job is to help your people at the moment. Not to sell my families ship building and servicing. You should talk to your leadership, but I think that's another item to negotiate with Alconian political leadership."

(OOC: I think its time to move to another scene, sorry I've been so slow in responding to this but I've been in training for these last two weeks)
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:51 am

(OOC: No problem, you can skip a week or more if you need it)

"No, sir I mean the Admiral and the rest of the Alconians..."

"Ah, that's no problem...", Wubana replies with the relaxed voice of a student who is asked the lesson he has just been studying. "You're making us a great favour, so everybody in Caluscaria will be pleased to do any favours the Admiral and the rest of the Alconians might ask them".

"Wisest", suddenly Conscript Kwon interrupts. "Another eruption. Requesting permission to jump off board and swim to the island to help the citizens".

Arching an eyebrow, the Caluscarian leader slowly turns back. As his eyes move around, he can see the Alconians and Caluscarians enjoying the party, some of them gathered in small groups, probably sank in deep conversations, a lone green skin feverishly painting something with a pencil, his bulging eyes jumping from the notebook to the island and back...

And then the old man sees: breaking the dark sky, a red shine slides down Land's Mouth.

"Permission denied", the Wisest replies, mimicking Kwon's jargon. "If you spend your energies in getting to the island, you will arrive tired. The Alconians will take all of us there".

"We can no longer ignore what the island is saying...", High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma's voice can be heard behind.

"Admiral", he asks. "I'm afraid we're gonna have to leave now. Another eruption has started and my people need me there. Could you take us back home?"

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:08 pm

Admiral Keller turns and swears something about a Dyellian Sodamy Club when he is notified about the eruption. A moment later a young man in marine dress appears and hands over a large tablet. "Wisest, if your going over there...you should leave some folks here to act as representatives and help us coordinate a response from our end..." He states this as he uses his finger to punch at the screen. "My suggestion would be the doctor, the scientist and the economics guru over there..." He continues to work the screen, as begins to move and shepards the Wisest with him. "...remain with us at the moment."

"Lieutenant round up the locals and get them too the boat bay." As he says this he hands over the tablet which shows a top down view of the island with a thermal overlay. Allowing the location of the red glow to be identified and tracked. "I will be handing out some tablets with multi-wave mesh radios to you and your guard to assist in keeping track of the eruption ejecta, hopefully better at getting people out of harms way with that. It will also show all of the those with a tablet where the other people with tablets are..."

The group of locals finds themselves headed down the promenade and back around through a doorway to the massive elevator they had first been on. The admiral led onto it as it opened, and brought the wisest and his guard onboard. Letting the Lieutenant follow. "I am sending Col. Baggins with a marine detachment to help assist your emergency response. They should be departing the Otto soon..." He studies the screen for a moment longer as the large elevator stops and opens up. The space has two hovercraft sitting with their noses pointed at the elevator. Low doors on both sides show the ocean beyond. A marine standing on the platform shouts at people exit the elevator "Alright...one on the port...the left...is heading back to Caluscaria...one to starboard...the right is heading to the Otto...We will be using her CAC for operations..."

The Admiral stands watching the scene as states, "Wisest...good to have you aboard...sorry your visit got cut short...but your ride awaits..." He offers his hand to shake.
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat Jun 26, 2021 3:00 pm

Admiral Keller turns and swears something about a Dyellian Sodamy Club when he is notified about the eruption. A moment later a young man in marine dress appears and hands over a large tablet. "Wisest, if your going over there...you should leave some folks here to act as representatives and help us coordinate a response from our end..." He states this as he uses his finger to punch at the screen. "My suggestion would be the doctor, the scientist and the economics guru over there..." He continues to work the screen, as begins to move and shepards the Wisest with him. "...remain with us at the moment."

"Of course", the Wisest replies. "Just let me speak to them first".

The old man slowly walks to the selected representatives and explains the situation. The Admiral can see their initial reaction: Advisor Favedor freezes while Doctor Rafaella crosses her arms and Professor Cuaridim lets his eyebrows slide down around his eyes. However, as the leader of Caluscaria ellaborates, their attitude improves and the trio end ups nodding in agreement.

The bodyguards do not take too much time to chaotically gather around Wubana. High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma is already around Keller, in a relaxed stance that her upset eyes betray: the island needs her. The last one to get there is Gustavo, who spends a few minutes to say farewell to Quinn.

"We're ready".

"I will be handing out some tablets with multi-wave mesh radios to you and your guard to assist in keeping track of the eruption ejecta, hopefully better at getting people out of harms way with that. It will also show all of the those with a tablet where the other people with tablets are..."

The Wisest turns to Gustavo, confused, but the green skin shrugs.

The Admiral stands watching the scene as states, "Wisest...good to have you aboard...sorry your visit got cut short...but your ride awaits..." He offers his hand to shake.

"The pleasure is mine", the Wisest replies, shaking his hands with a friendly smile.

Meanwhile, in the highest trees of the island, parrots and harpies abandon their nests, fleeing from the threatening grey cloud invading the sky. Unlike the insects swarming all over the island, most birds have witnessed the previous eruption and already know what to expect. The same applies to reptiles and amphibians, who run for the coast. In the case of chelonians, it could hardly be considered running, but they try to get as fast as they can to the apparently safer water.

Mammals are theoretically more intelligent, but they behave the same, with the exception of some of the nurses taking care of the injured from the previous eruption. Other nurses neglect their responsibilities and head out of the city. Those who decide to stay search fabric to protect their patients from the falling ashes and hope for the plummeting black rocks not to hit them.

Still watching the beach with the rest of the welcome committee, Conscript Ahmed looks at the blue horizon.

"Do you think my sister will be all right?", he mutters.

"I'm sure she will", Conscript Haloola replies with sincere optimism.

"Help!", a woman cries behind them.

When both conscripts turn back. Coming from the jungle, they see a carrot-haired woman and a short man, followed by a stampede of all kinds of animals. The woman trips and falls, and the animals overtake her, some of them stomping on her back.

"What the...", Ahmed starts.

"Look", Haloola interrupts, pointing at the lava sliding down Land's Mouth. "It's happening again".

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sat Jul 03, 2021 6:18 am

30,000 feet above Caluscaria
The aerostat watches downwards, thermal imaging sensors detect the location and path of the lava now streaming from 'Land's Mouth' below it. Electric motors and propellers do their best to remain on station as heat and light ash rise up towards it. Sonic sensors and radar begin to identify and sort the ejecta by size...streaming the data back to its mother ship.

ARN Otto, Command Action Center

In the darkened space Commander Gates stands watching the screens of his domain. He is officer of the watch right now and its his duty to act. He barks orders, "Get the engineers headed out and get two G-130's moving too..." "Aye, Aye...engineer groups alpha, bravo, and charlie are readying for deployment...101 and 105 drivers are already spinning up their AEUs to maneuver..." someone responds.

Gates nods as the reports return to him. His focus again on the vast situational awareness screen as the computer array somewhere below his feet begins to generate probability maps. Maps of probable heavy and light ejecta rates and sizes based on the wind, the atmosphere and the volcano's actual eruption. Maps of possible lava areas, using the rough topography already established earlier and the current location of lava flows.

Gates looks at the screen. "Any thoughts on where to set up a redoubt?" He asks the electronic warfare Yeoman sitting at a terminal to his right. It might seem an odd question, but the twenty six year old's history thesis that he is working on is actually the history of Alconian redoubts. The yeoman looks up and scans for criteria used by his dutch ancestors centuries ago; close to population centers, high dry ground near the ocean or other large body of water so not to flood, preferably with three sides surrounded by water and neck back to the mainland to maximize the ability to insert water defenses against lava flows.

They both study the map..."That looks like the best place there sir..." The Yeoman states with a slight hesitation.
"Agreed, will send it up the tree...find me your second and third choice Yeoman."

The 'Alconian' Beach
Hovercraft have been pulling in, being loaded with patients and heading back out across the ocean for hours now. Marines doing stretcher duty have trotting across the sand for hours also.

A few alconain crew members from the hovercraft being loaded have wandered around the beach poking at other nations shipments idly and looking at the contents before moving on.

One one large box, a rather rotund crewman in blue coveralls has sort of set up an 'office.' He sits on the large box while a red sun umbrella, suck in the ground, shades him. He leans against two large drink coolers. Occasionally he pulls the cold stub of his cigar out of his mouth and takes a swipe at the tablet sitting next to him.

The moment the ground shakes and the birds and mammals begin to panic he sits up strait and pulls the tablet to him. A moment later he drops off the crate and throws away the dead sub of cigar.

The wandering Alconians turn and run back to him. Also some of the hover craft crew appear around him. "Alright, looks like we got an eruption...I am holding all of the craft here till we can overload them with wounded. Damn well keep the local fauna on board to a minimum, use the hoses to make them think elsewhere. I want you lot to see about pulling out those plastic panels those yahoo's dropped off... set up an emergency bunker there near those dunes... Alright...questions?"

"Er...what about panicking locals?"

"They get to help set up emergency bunkers..."

"No other questions..."

"No Chief..."

"Then be about it..."

"Aye, Aye sir..."

"Huzzah you Demon Dogs!"

"Huzzah!"

The chief pulls a cigar out of a breast pocket and lights it. He smiles with a devilish grin, "Ah its good to be Chief of the Beach!" He exclaims as he watches people moving to their assigned duties.

And so all of the poor, lost fauna...running onto the 'alconian' beach get a quick shot of fire hose if they start running towards the hovercraft gangway...the local humans running onto the beach discover that they are shanghied into setting up a lean to of plastic panels along the beach, or shoveling sand on the slanted plastic panels to provide thermal protection against the expected hot ejecta falling down.

OOC: I don't know where the poor soul and welcoming comittee are in comparison to the beach the ARN is using and where everyone else has dropped junk off...

City of Caluscaria

The Alconian doctors watch some of the nurses run...and look at them with a mixture of pity and disgust. Those that have run have abandoned their duty...and left themselves open to the tender horrors of the fates.

Dr. Shelly has been working with some of the more senior nurses since Dr. Raffella being pulled for more 'senior duties'. Before those nurses can leave to find coverings she stops them. "Here" She pulls out her tablet and shows the nurses the data. "This is the projected fall pattern of rocks from the eruption based on the winds here and in the upper atmosphere. We need to move these people to somewhere that is less likely to have as dense a rock fall or out to the ships"

She hits a button on the screen showing the layout of the remaining patients. "We can get these people evacuated out to the ships now...but if we can get more people to be emergency carriers we can get some more folks to help carry them out to the beach." Now the diagram begins to indicate even more patients in their beds flashing, indicating those that can be evacuated with some assistance.

"Also, we're likely setting up some stronger shelter at the beach, so we need to see about getting these patients there as fast as possible before more ash and rocks begin to fall..."

Although she hasn't ordered any of the nurses to do anything, there is an iron will in her voice. This is a woman is obviously used to giving orders and being obeyed. She might be putting her words into the velvet of asking...but the will and history of doing what must be done is still there and evident.

The boat bay
After the Wisest shakes hands with the Admiral he is lead onto the 'Caluscarian' bound hovercraft. As he sits down a young man in uniform steps up to him and shows him a tablet. "Sir, we have a request from operations to set up a redoubt here sir..." he indicates the location on the map "...somewhere to evacuate people from the lava flows. Your being asked for permission for us to start setting it up sir...There likely is going to require a good deal of ground changes for us to protect against the lava sir..."

As the 'Caluscarian' bound hovercraft begins to raise it's loading door there is a bang on the deck above their heads. After a few more jerks of the hovercraft as it maneuvers in the boat bay, A hatch opens and Quinn pokes his head down inside. "Ha...did make it you green fool!...now the world is going to see Caluscaria on Fire! See if the world can ignore your plight this time!"

The Otto bound hovercraft is almost silent as a tomb. The Admiral sits with his eyes closed as the craft makes its way across the short distance to the other vessel. He lets the Lieutenant do the speaking. "Doctor, Professor you'll be headed to the CAC to provide local knowledge and help us support your response to the eruption. Advisor Favedor, you'll likely be headed with the Admiral up to his bridge to advise on external support coordination.

380 Miles West
The Hercules flying boat turns in the air and begins to move to the north. The scottish professor, who is now asleep with half a bottle of her native 'water of life' in her doesn't notice. The Alconain Lord does, he stands and moves down the narrow corridor and into the cockpit. "What is up?"

Captain Raella Burns turns and looks up. "We've got reports of another eruption in Caluscaria...I'm not flying in to that with these geared turbines so we're going to hunker down at an atoll that's got a lagoon large enough for this flying monstrosity to land in. Yanks used it for submarine resupply during the war and there might have been a russian spying operation out there in the 80's but current population is supposedly zero.

KCN NEWS FLASH
Second eruption of Caluscarian volcano estimated soon.
Broadcast of live news feed in 5 minutes...International News Channel feed 155.75.89.798.101
END FLASH
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sun Jul 04, 2021 9:59 am

30,000 feet above Caluscaria

Sonic sensors and radar begin to identify and sort the ejecta by size...streaming the data back to its mother ship.

There is a 30% of 1,2-metre diameter chunks and a 5% of 0,3-metre diameter ones. The rest of them have a diameter smaller than 0,07 metres.

ARN Otto, Command Action Center

Gates nods as the reports return to him. His focus again on the vast situational awareness screen as the computer array somewhere below his feet begins to generate probability maps. Maps of probable heavy and light ejecta rates and sizes based on the wind, the atmosphere and the volcano's actual eruption. Maps of possible lava areas, using the rough topography already established earlier and the current location of lava flows.

Probability distribution maps show a likely single source of the ejection force and a complex network of heat-resistant caves through which lava flows, uprooting rocky chunks from them in the process. The trajectory, velocity and size of the ejecta yields information about their density, most of them matching obsidian, basalt and other known volcanic rocks; however there is an unclassified material with a high specific heat capacity forming chunks with a diameter about 0,3 metres.

Eastern Beach: The 'Alconian' Beach

Eekry was a young male harpy. He used to enjoy the comfortable life in the nest, just sleeping and waiting for mum to regurgitate food on his mouth, until several days ago, when she told him it was about time he learned to hunt. He could not be happier when he heard the news, but he soon found out how hard it was to follow the prey with his mother, flapping and shrieking to paralyze the occasional parrot or monkey.

Tonight everything has changed. The huge grey cloud that rained rocks slowly approached to Eekry's nest, scaring all neighbourhood. For the first time in his life, harpies were shrieking of terror; instead of hunters, they were prey.

Mum knew what to do: with a pair of screams, she told her son to hurry up and the set off to the south. Below them, the whole forest stirred with flying birds, rodents climbing down the tall trees, insects buzzing and mammals galloping. Some of the dangerous apes even abandoned their wide nests and rushed for the coast.

One silent shiny bird stood still hovering the island, oblivious to the threat.

But it was in the crisis when coexistence became tougher; some of the refugees from the woods arrived to the beach where the metal-whale riders had built their nest, and they were not going to let them invade their home: extending their tentacles through the sands, they shot rays of water against the invaders, keeping them at bay. For the moment.

City of Caluscaria

Although she hasn't ordered any of the nurses to do anything, there is an iron will in her voice. This is a woman is obviously used to giving orders and being obeyed. She might be putting her words into the velvet of asking...but the will and history of doing what must be done is still there and evident.

The local nurses recognize Doctor Shelly's instructions as the same type of the ones Doctor Rafaella or any other doctor would give them, and they start doing as they are told. Transporting the injured is hard, though; even those on a wheeled bed have to suffer the deficiently paved streets in the city and dodge the falling chunks.

The boat bay

"Sir, we have a request from operations to set up a redoubt here sir..." he indicates the location on the map "...somewhere to evacuate people from the lava flows. Your being asked for permission for us to start setting it up sir...There likely is going to require a good deal of ground changes for us to protect against the lava sir..."

"You have my permission to do as many ground changes...", the Wisest immediately replies.

"Keep in mind...", High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma interrupts, raising her forefinger.

He does not let her speak, but scowls at her and finishes his sentence.

"... and as many setting ups as you need".

"Ha...did make it you green fool!...now the world is going to see Caluscaria on Fire! See if the world can ignore your plight this time!"

"Hey, Quinn! Welcome onboard!", Gustavo greets him happily.

For some reason, Wubana does not look so happy.

"Doctor, Professor you'll be headed to the CAC to provide local knowledge and help us support your response to the eruption. Advisor Favedor, you'll likely be headed with the Admiral up to his bridge to advise on external support coordination.

"Perfect", Doctor Rafaella replies, followed by an "I'll do my best" by Professor Cuaridim.

"You can count on me", Advisor Favedor asserts.

Western Beach: The 'Welcoming committee' Beach

"Are you all rigtht?", the short man asks the red haired woman lying on the sand, when the stampede lets him reach her.

"We've...", she coughs, "... we've lost everything".

"Easy, Vronik", he says with a soft voice. "We'll unearth our devices after the end of the eruption. Some of them will still work... and the rest of them... we'll make them again. As we did before."

Her green eyes slowly move towards him while she smiles, a thin blood stream pouring from her mouth.

"She needs medical attention!", the short man roars.

Conscript Blue Chimpmunk sprints towards the raising sun, where she'll hopefully find an Alconian doctor to save Vronik's life.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents