NATION

PASSWORD

Caluscaria seeks international aid! (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:46 pm

A letter was sent to The Federation of States of Kumasunai:

To President Raharjo,

We are really grateful for your support and for the help you are offering us. We shall never forget those who helped us in these difficult moments. Please meet us in Western Beach, Caluscaria City.

Signed by the Wisest of the Community of Caluscaria

Last edited by Caluscaria on Fri Dec 11, 2020 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:19 pm

Admiral Keller nods..."Er...certainly Conscript Haloola..."

The group nod and follow along. The blonde with the sword keeping eyes on Kwon who seems to be armed himself.

The helicopter will rise up as they leave again. And the red balls will sit there quietly flashing on the beach.

The Admiral seems unperturbed about being greeted by mere conscripts and friendly. His eyes wandering over the place as they make their way inland. "Very good...very good...Conscript Haloola...nice island you have here..."

Admiral Keller stops when he sees the structures..."Ah, so what is this place? I mean the name..."

The rest of the team also stop and spread out a little. Looking over the scene...there is concern in their faces. Someone says a little too loudly..."slum of Cyro..." and then shuts up immediately.

A woman in light blue steps up and states with concern in her voice. "Ah who is in charge of medical treatment here Conscript Haloola?"

"And are there other damage sites like this one around the island?" The commander asks.
If you haven't seen a sky furnace...
You're young...
Member: Federated Klatchian Coast
Observer Status in LDO

Ferdialand
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 10, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Ferdialand » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:16 am

To Caluscaria,

Thank you for your reply, and our government in Břeclav has decided to aid your country, even if you choose not to follow our previous requirements. We hope soon that your nation may recover from this terrible disaster.

Food, water and emergency supplies are being sent at this very moment to your capital. The official figures of how many supplies we are sending you have been sent via private telegram. We trust you to use these supplies wisely and improve the lives of your citizens, as you said, not overnight, but instead over the long future of your nation.

- József Alberti, Ferdian President.

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat Dec 12, 2020 8:54 am

Conscript Haloola blushes, flattered at the Admiral's compliment about the island.

"Thank you, Admiral", she replies with a smile. "It's our home. We care about the land, and the land cares about us".

Conscript Kwon nods to himself, satisfied.

"This is Caluscaria City", she explains, "the main settlement of our nation and, for a long time, the only one. There are small towns and villages around there", she makes a vague gesture with her hand, "but more than half of the population live here..."

A handful of children run across them, almost tripping with the Alconian woman in light blue.

"Actually, there's no one in charge of the medical treatment", Conscript Haloola explains, "our doctors collaborate with some autonomy..."

"My sister is a doctor", Conscript Ahmed comments.

"Rafaella?", Conscript Haloola asks. "Yes, she is a good doctor. Can you introduce our guests to her?"

Conscript Ahmed led the Alconians to a shelter a few minutes away, while Conscript Haloola told Commander Bones about the Northern Districts, a set of towns and villages scattered in the north of the island, fortunately not so close to the volcano. They had reported an increase in the bronchitis affections and a few deceases of asthmatic citizens.

A young woman in a grey dress with a shortly-trimmed brown hair is talking to a fat man lying on a cot, the first of the array. His face is mostly destroyed, leaving only one eye intact.

"Rafaella!", Ahmed calls, "The International Aid is here!", he announces, his eyes shining as he looks at her.

"That's good news", she croaks, turning back. "We're low on horn cream and my concoctions are not enough to heal this. We need better medicines and many, many hands", she adds, nervously moving her fingers as fast as she speaks. "Do you have merchromine, analgesics or bálsamo de fiera bras?", she asks. "Have you brought a bacta tank?"

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat Dec 12, 2020 9:23 am

The Wisest signs the letter and puts it on the outbox tray. Exhausted after hours of reading letters and writting replies, he sighs and grants himself the license to rest his face on the table, using his left hand as a pillow. A few seconds later, he slowly starts standing up from his chair, his back complaining from the extended time in bad posture.

Tap-tap, tap-tap, tap-tap...

"Another letter!", a grin skinned young man coos, entering the hut and immediately being caught by one of the bodyguards, who takes the letter from his hands and pushes him out.

The Wisest falls on his butt, making the chair creak, and takes the letter.

"More aid?", the bodyguard asks, playing with his black moustache.

"Yes", he replies, "It seems that The Republic of Ferdialand is going to help us anyway".

"Anyway, Wisest?", the bodyguard arches an eyebrow, his hand frozen while pulling from a hair over his lip.

"They asked us some political changes in return for their help, and I refused", the old man explains, "You know, our nation is not on sale..."

"...and now they are going to help us, anyway", the bodyguard completes, laconically.

"Essentially", the Wisest confirms. "Which speaks volumes about their good principles".

"And your ability to negotiate, if I am allowed".

Ignoring the compliment, the Wisest writes a new letter, to be delivered to the President of The Republic of Ferdialand:
Dear József,

We are really grateful for your support and for the help you are offering us. We shall never forget those who helped us in these difficult moments. Please meet us in Western Beach, Caluscaria City.

Signed by the Wisest of the Community of Caluscaria

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sat Dec 12, 2020 3:14 pm

Caluscaria wrote:
"Actually, there's no one in charge of the medical treatment", Conscript Haloola explains, "our doctors collaborate with some autonomy..."

"My sister is a doctor", Conscript Ahmed comments.

"Rafaella?", Conscript Haloola asks. "Yes, she is a good doctor. Can you introduce our guests to her?"

"Very good, Doctor I leave that part of the mission in your hands. You can call me if anything is needed or permissions granted or what have you..."

The Admiral turns to Conscript Haloola, and the Commander and listens, with the Lt. Winton-Smith, the armed blonde at his heels.

When she finishes the Admiral nods, "Thank You...Constript Haloola...ah perhaps we should take a walk around...to survey the damage...get a sense of things...maybe meet a few of the local leaders..."

"That's good news", she croaks, turning back. "We're low on horn cream and my concoctions are not enough to heal this. We need better medicines and many, many hands", she adds, nervously moving her fingers as fast as she speaks. "Do you have merchromine, analgesics or bálsamo de fiera bras?", she asks. "Have you brought a bacta tank?"

"Doctor Rafaela glad to make your acquaintance. I am Dr. Mary Shelly and these are my fellow advance team members....she rattles off some ranks and names for a moment.

"Per your question, yes we have analgesics and topical antiseptics on hand with us." She pulls the backpack off her back. "As for the other items..." She looks back at the rest...

"Er..the fiera bras is a legendary healing potion stolen from the Romans if I recall correctly..." Dr. Pellew states from the back. "Sorry, was an world literature scholar before medical school...though I think you needed to be a knight or something to have it work effectively?" He adds trying to pull from memory.

"Oh...and Christoperson do you know?"

"The closest we have to a Bacta tank is well...truthfully it would be the Var UT tanks but you've heard the problem with those..." A second taller man with intense green eyes answers.

"Quite...so then the regen tanks would sort of fit..."
"They are designed to help heal wounds and burns...though facial wounds will be a problem...as is the eye..." Christoperson states..."But we can use some of the advanced bandages and bio builder to assist in getting that to heal faster...and maybe with less long term damage..."

Dr. Shelly turns and looks at Dr. Rafaela, "Just so your aware we brought two hospital ships to help treat people with our faculties and equipment. My hope was to identify the worst cases we can best help with our facilties and send them out for treatment."

She pulls out a ruggedized tablet from her backpack. "My suggestion is to gather up both my team and the local physicians so we can identify their worst cases and transfer them to our ships for treatment. Do you think you can assist with that?"
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:52 am

Conscript Kwon's eyes almost jumped off his eyes when the Admiral asked Conscript Haloola permission to walk around freely to survey the damage, but he did not complain when she agreed. He just considered the meeting finished and left.

The Admiral would find the Caluscarians busily working and willing to provide him whatever he might need: hand-made tools, 99% animal-hair towels, fresh water, banana juice...

Meanwhile, surrounded by the remains of what might have been a Caluscarian home before the eruption, Gustavo is talking to a Conscript in hushed tones.

"I feel curious too", he says, "and I'll be pleased to keep you up-to-date. You know how I like this, Kwon", he adds, rubbing his hands.

Conscript Kwon sighs and leaves.

"That's fine for me", Doctor Rafaella replies to Mary Shelly's proposal to work in collaboration. The Alconian medical team seems to know all the advanced medical treatments Rafaella has asked about, and those regen tanks Christoperson has mentioned sound promising. Working with them will be interesting.

"We have our medical shelters classified by state", she explains. "Patients with third-degree burns must not be mixed with patients having infectious diseases, and patients needing a transplant are given more priority than those with shallow wounds". She makes emphasis in the word transplant and cast a sideways look at doctor Mary Shelly to see her reaction. Her homonymous' treaty on transplant surgery is a classical reference on the subject. "Donors are preserved under a different shelter, too, of course".

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:14 pm

Caluscaria wrote:
The Admiral would find the Caluscarians busily working and willing to provide him whatever he might need: hand-made tools, 99% animal-hair towels, fresh water, banana juice...

The Admiral would walk around letting Conscript Haloola lead him. He would ask questions about what people were working on. Why they chose to use mud as a building material...the source of damage to the place since it didn't seem to be run over by a lava flow itself...how they were managing their fresh water supply...

The truth was the Admiral had spent so long not at war, he had become an expert at managing fighting units and their logistics he just fell into that pattern here.

When first offered something by a local he would look at Conscript Haloola with a wry smile..."Er...we don't have really any information on your culture...is it one of those where offense is given if an offered gift is not taken...because I grew up in a tropical fishing village myself...don't really need a towel at the moment..."

If it is one of those, he will take it and make note of the giver..."Thank You on behalf of the Duchess" he will state and then hand over the item to the Commander...and have Winston-Smith record it in a small tablet.

After awhile he will turn back to Conscript Haloola, "Thank You Conscript Haloola for the tour...Now then...since you have shown us some hospitality...I should also show your nation that in return. So from our brief diplomatic exchanges there seems to one known as the Wisest...I would very much like to invite them as well as yourself and a few others to a meal..."

"We have our medical shelters classified by state", she explains. "Patients with third-degree burns must not be mixed with patients having infectious diseases, and patients needing a transplant are given more priority than those with shallow wounds".

The Alconians nod and a few make notes onto their tablets. But at the emphasis on transplant everyone looks up and over at Dr. Shelly. She sighs looks at the heavens for a second, as though asking the fates to smite a few people for her.

"Thank You Doctor...I suppose the easiest way to do then is assign my folks to each triage state and we can discuss patients with their respective local doctors on a rotating basis. At least my understanding is that most local Doctors will have patients across all of the tents but if I'm misinformed please tell me."

Dr. Shelly will turn after that "I will take the burn ward...Dr. Pellew, I know your going to want infectious diseases and we're all damn glad to have you on this mission..."

The Alconian group nods and look at Dr. Pellew with that...Pellew looks at another Alconian and they nod at each other before starting to open their packs to pull out gear including masks and gloves.

"...Christoperson you've worked under Hoggarts so lead on the whole wound and transplants area please..."
"Right, I'm no Dr. Shelley though..." There are a few suppressed chuckles at his comment.
"Ha, Ha, funny man guess who's in line for inheriting third watch all the way home..." Dr. Shelly states dryly.
Chistoperson winces at that..."Yes Ma'm...no more Shelley versus Shelly jokes..."

"Morris...come to burns with me but keep flexible to switch up if needed..." Dr. Shelly notes.

She turns back to Doctor Rafaella, "Is there anything else we should discuss or local knowledge before we split to our respective wards...states as you call them?"
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:19 am

Conscript Haloola was glad to answer the Admiral's questions.

"Caluscaria had to survive to very hard times with only the resources they could forage on the island", she told him, "so they soon learned to mix mud and straw and then dry it to make provisional homes. Well, it seems it was a long time ago, but we've kept doing that", she added with a smile.

"In winter, there's a lot of snow up there", she pointed to the top of the volcano, "that in spring flows down as sweet water. Some people use buckets to capture raindrops... and there's the well. A friend of mine works in the maintenance of the purification system, so I suppose we can't just drink the underground water".

Haloola shrugged. She did not know why or how, and she had never felt the curiosity about it.

"The source of the damage is mostly the eruption", she explained, "the black stones that rained on us, the ashen clouds..." Her voice faltered. "The lava did not reach the city itself, but it killed the trees and the animals that could not flee..."

It was a matter of time that the economy ended up in the conversation.

"Don't worry, it's no offense", she replied, giggling. "We don't use money to trade our goods; we just share them. Whenever you need something, you can borrow a spare one and, if you need someone to give you a hand, you just say 'I owe you a favour'. All of us owe you a great favour for your aid, everybody will be glad to give you a hand if you need it".

Conscript Haloola immediately nodded when the Admiral asked her to lead him to the Wisest.

"Of course, let's go!"

Doctor Rafaella chugs, ashamed of having provoked an unintentional joke on the Alconian's surname, but she quickly recovers and resumes the topic of the conversation.

"Nothing else, but I'll keep around in case you need an explanation about any particularity that may arise".

The Wisest Hut is easily recognizable by the six bodyguards at the door. All of them have a well-built constitution and a banana-leaf sling hanging from their belts.

"Hi, I'm bringing a visit", she salutes the bodyguards.

One of them, a strong blonde woman with arms as thick as her legs, enters the hut.

A couple of minutes later, the bodyguard returns. Behind him, an old man in a yellow and green turtle-tiled shirt gets out, smiling. His dark-brown skin contrasts with his shortly-trimmed white hair and his white teeth.

"Welcome to our beautiful island!", he greets the Admiral, extending his hand. "I'm Wubana Orthosophos, Wisest of Caluscaria. Please, come in", he beckons in to a room with a bureau, a couple of chairs and a cot. "Do you like banana juice?"

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:50 pm

Caluscaria wrote:

"Nothing else, but I'll keep around in case you need an explanation about any particularity that may arise".

Dr. Shelly waves Dr. Raffella over..."So I believe this is your patient...can I get a name, age...any medical history we should know?"
As she gets answers she types in the answers into the ruggedized tablet. The other alconian assists by taking blood pressure, pulse and other typically health details.

The rest of the Alconian doctors do the same. They begin entering information into tablets and asking doctors and patients about their cases. Dr. Pellew and his assistant are dressed in protective gear for infectious diseases as they work over their group.

At some point in gathering data Dr Shelly swears. "Damn...I'm sending a message to the admiral to see if we can get a better connection..."

"Welcome to our beautiful island!", he greets the Admiral, extending his hand. "I'm Wubana Orthosophos, Wisest of Caluscaria. Please, come in", he beckons in to a room with a bureau, a couple of chairs and a cot. "Do you like banana juice?"

Admiral Kruller shares the extended hand and smiles, "Well in some ways it is like parts of home...James Kruller, Rear Admiral, Royal Alconian Navy..." He stops and points to his aide..."My aide Commander Bones and my Armsman Lieutenant Winton-Smith." He moves inside and smiles again taking one of the chairs. "You know I've never had banana juice...but I'd be willing to try it. "

He smiles for a moment then a beep pops from Commander Bones pocket. The Commander pulls out a small device and nods at it...before showing it to the Admiral.

Admiral Cruller nodes and begins..."Ah, sorry for the interruption but do you mind if I station a aerostat over your island? It seems my medical folks are having trouble communicating back to the hospital ships without a relay station..."

He smiles again and relaxes slightly.

At the ships a set of three hovercraft emerge from the rear floating dock of the ARN OTTO. They begin to make cautious approach towards the shore.
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:14 pm

Doctor Rafaella does her best to provide the details of the patient to Doctor Shelly, although his medical history seems to be lost. Those patients whose medical history is available have a bunch of papers attached to their cots, but most of them have nothing. The Caluscarian healer beholds with evident curiosity as her Alconian counterpart uses her tablet.

Eventually, Dr. Shelly complains about the quality of the connection.

"Yes, you're not going to get a good bandwidth here", she immediately replies with a snarl. As a lore-avid medic, she had asked for a broadband connection, but she has not been granted one yet.

The Wisest shakes hands with all the notable Alconians with a friendly smile and enters the hut with Admiral Kruller.

"Ah, banana juice...", Wubana sighs, taking a jar full of a yellow liquid and pouring it into a pair of clay cups, "we drink it here like water. I'll tell you a secret: we don't just squeeze the bananas; we add some water and some people add a slight touch of pineapple. I made this juice myself, but you have to try Hansen's!"

The Wisest laughs and gives a cup to the Admiral and another to Commander Bones.

"Forgive me for not having a cup for everyone", he says, smiling apologetically at the rest of the retinue. "I didn't..."

A beep pops from Commander Bones' pocket.

"Of course, my friend", the old man affably replies when Admiral Kruller explains the need for an aerostat. "Actually, your leader told me you would fly a helicopter over the island to investigate how to prevent more eruptions".

"I'll tell you a story", he says, sitting on his cot as though it were a bench and leaving the spare chair for the Commander. "A long time ago, a young Caluscarian decided to climb to the top of Land's Mouth and enter the caldera to find a way to stop the fire rains. He did not go alone, but his partner felt ill when they got to the top", he comically shakes his hand in front of his nose. "I have a theory: you know the sulphur smell...", he trails off and offer more banana juice to his guests; then he serves himself.

"The fact is that one of the two adventurers climbed the way back home and the other climbed down the caldera", he goes on. "And just when the... cautious... adventurer arrived, the volcano made its own fireworks show, setting the city in a state very similar to the current one. Needless to say, the brave hero was left for dead and nobody ever tried again to get in".

The Wisest sighs and drinks the whole cup of banana juice in a single swallow.

"We didn't have well-trained soldiers or high-tech equipment by that time", he says, "Unlike you..."

The shore is almost empty. Only six Caluscarian conscripts stand there, waiting for the arrival of more international aid.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Wed Dec 23, 2020 5:26 pm

Caluscaria wrote:Doctor Rafaella does her best to provide the details of the patient to Doctor Shelly, although his medical history seems to be lost. Those patients whose medical history is available have a bunch of papers attached to their cots, but most of them have nothing. The Caluscarian healer beholds with evident curiosity as her Alconian counterpart uses her tablet.

The Alconian doctor is not really paying too much attention to the Caluscarian's interest but also doesn't hide the technology. The system seems to be just an electronic version of standard medical forms. They also use the internal cameras to take photos of the patients, their wounds, or other signs of ailments. They also use the cameras to image the medical histories and quickly move on to the next to be efficient.

"Oh so you do have broadband somewhere on the island?" Dr. Shelly asks...

"Quite alright...I am here to keep an eye on the Admiral really..." Winton-Smith replies as she is the only without a cup.

Admiral Kruller looks a bit startled at second statement...As the Wisest gives his story... the Commander and he shoot looks at each other...

Winton-Smith leans over and whispers into the Admiral's ear. He smiles at that and nods.

"Ah, just the subject we need to discuss..." The Admiral begins..."You see we are here as a diplomatic and....emergency response force...but well, its obvious we're military trained so we think like military people...and well we think like Alconians, Hubarians, Catawabians...Klatchians which might cause some friction or misunderstandings..." He sips at the banana water again..."So the first thing we have to do...as the leaders of our respective people...is come to an agreement to ensure that if some friction or misunderstanding happens we've already set up a way to deal with it...rather than be struggling with it when someone is howling mad and throwing their emotion onto the table when working to come to an agreement..."

He stops and leans forward, "Now what we, the United Duchies, has typically done before..." He stops to try and explain on a slightly different tack "...my folks are all military so their under Alconian Military Law...and that is how they should stay...if they break Caluscaria law...We arrange to charge them on the best similar AML rule and go through our ALM process, with a Caluscaria rep there to ensure we think about their natural rights too...Essentially, you as the host nation have the right to charge them for breaking your law, but they stay under the legal rules they know to protect their rights...And if one of your people break our laws when they are on our ships...well most likely we will just politely ask them off the ship if it is even semi-serious..."

The Admiral leans back thinking [i]Well...that's the nonsense between me and the Outer Minister for the last couple of days...I get to cut this damn knot let's see if it works...then I get to somehow explain that most volcanos don't really 'stop' in human terms...unless you blow up the planet they are part of...or they blow themselves up...like Krakatoa...but that would take the whole island with it..."

The hovercraft still move slowly towards the beach.

Above, the large aerostat seems to turn direction far more quickly and move quickly and silently through the air above the water towards the beach. A few minutes later it is crossing above those on the beach a decent altitude and headed inland.

As the aerostat crosses the beach...the hovercraft suddenly push forward, increasing speed dramatically...they seem now far more responsive as they cross the waves and rush to the shore. They push up the sand and let their assault gangways drop to the ground...

And groups of 12 marines from each hovercraft decend down the ramps...at a saunter. More like a group of men and woman arriving early to a party...or a bunch of Baliford supper club kids out in a park after a formal...

They are all dressed in camo duty uniforms with white armbands and a red cross. Most of them carry the same bayonet short swords that the earlier group did, but also about half carry what look like rolled up stretchers. Most of them just stand around near the bottom of their respective ramps; while three older marines gather into another clump and begin to discuss something...there is hand gestures and waving as they point in various directions on the beach.
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:23 am

The Wisest patiently listens to the Admiral's terms, nodding from time to time to mean he is understanding. And he really is. The abrupt topic change can only be interpreted, or so the Wisest thinks, as a rejection to his proposal of sending an expedition to find the cause and the solution to those devastating eruptions. The old man does not voice his mind, though; he stands silent for a while, his head resting on his hands and his elbows on the bureau.

"I am sure your soldiers have not come to Caluscaria to break our laws", he finally says. "So we shall tell them in case they accidentally do. If they persist, we shall ask them to leave the island. On the other hand, our people shall respect your laws, as well as ours, when they are in your ships. Regarding the punishment proceedings, if they accidentally break something... well, I think they will mend more than they break, so we are not going to put them into prison; on the other hand, Caluscarian citizens have no money to pay for whatever they might accidentally break in your ship", he explains, shrugging.

"Finally, there are blatant infringements of the law that would cause real trouble... but your people are not going to murder anyone or bring robots to the island, are they?", he laughs. "Neither will our citizens".

Conscript Otto scratches his red hair as he watched the marines come out of the hovercrafts and exchange a confused look with Conscript Blue Chimpmunk.

"And now... how do we welcome them all?", he asks. "They could have made a queue... or something".

Conscript Blue Chimpmunk shakes her long black ponytail.

"I'm going to ask for another welcoming committee to come here", she says before running towards the city.

"Err... Hello?", he calls the strangers, confused. "Welcome to Caluscaria, which nation are you from?"

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sat Dec 26, 2020 9:57 am

Caluscaria wrote:
"Finally, there are blatant infringements of the law that would cause real trouble... but your people are not going to murder anyone or bring robots to the island, are they?", he laughs. "Neither will our citizens".

The Admiral nods..."Well that seems acceptable...after all if they cause real trouble they are in trouble with Her Grace's government as well..." Kruller notes they haven't settled most of anything but it seems both sides are trying to non-confrontational which might be the best that could be hoped for at this time.

"However...you just mentioned something there about robots..."

He looks at the commander to see if he caught that item..."Yes sir...and it will hold up us on the item they were interested in discussing"

"Yes, what is your proscription against robots? I mean we have several different kinds aboard our ships but none are currently planned for operations on your territory..." Admiral Kruller asks.

The Commander coughs..."And is it robots or artificial intelligence that is prohibited? The reason we ask is our best sensor platforms are all unmanned vehicles...remote human piloted robots...we use them because when you don't have to worry about 90 or so kilos of human matter and safety gear then that is a lot of weight for sensors and fuel...a proscription on those items would hamper us on that research item you were interested in sir..."

All the Marines turn and look at Conscript Otto. The group of three look at each other and then one answers. "We're from the United Duchies...we're here to start transferring patients out to the hospital ships once we have orders to do so...right now...right now we are waiting..." This is in a gruff voice that doesn't seem to care if Otto responds or not, just sort of relegates his inquiry to a nuisance. The speaker turns and starts to address the two others in his group.

Most of the Marines continue to watch Conscript Otto. Mainly because they have all spent a lot of time on beaches...and this one isn't much different from the thousands of others they have all been on. So Otto, and his fellows, are the only interesting things here at the moment.

One of the other members of the group of three asks..."Where are your boats?" All eyes turn to him now... "The boat crews kept trying to figure out from their scopes if flashes of light just were waves or low boats or what...They wanted to keep from running over any local boats accidentally..." He adds and various Marines all start nodding to each other as though all thinking 'Ah, yes of course...this was wise but of course there...where are the boats?'

The group of Marines start to look around for signs of fishing boats or other aquatic vehicles...and then one by one return their attention back to Otto to explain.
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:40 am

The Wisest listens to the Admiral's details about the advanced technology they have brought to Caluscaria.

"Don't worry about it", he says in the end, laughing. "Just as you said, we only forbid artificial intelligence; so you can use as many unmanned machines as you like, as long as there is a human in control, even if the human is many miles away from the machine".

"There's a legend that our ancestors had some sort of trouble with an intelligence they created or summoned and got out of control", he tells Kruller.

"Around here, robots, golems and demons are popular names for artificial intelligence", he explains. "Developing chatbots or raising people from the dead are also included in the ban... I hope it's not too hard a restrain for you", he finishes, smiling.

Suddenly, a bold woman, her arms as thick as her legs, pops in through the door.

"Wisest, I have some news from...", she begins.

"We are discussing state matters", he interrupts.

The old man sighs.

"Sorry, I am busy now. But I trust your wisdom, deal with the matter if it's something that cannot await and tell me later, please".

"I would like you to reconsider the expedition to the volcano", he asks Kruller when she leaves. "I would send one of my best soldiers with you, as a guide".

The little girl kept looking at the debris as the silouette of the tired woman mixing the mud and the straw became blurrier and blurrier.

"Why are the conscripts leaving, mum?", she asked with a nasal voice before sniffing.

"They have said something about a command override, honey", the woman replied with a broken voice, cleaning the mud in her green dress.

The girl scratched her hair for a while, trying to understand the meaning of those cryptic words.

"Yes... but why?", she finally asked.

"I don't know, but I'm going to find out", she said, standing up determined. "I'm sure Gustavo knows why".

"We have no big ships like yours", Conscript Otto replies, "only small fishing rafts". He points somewhere in the distance. "Like that one".

Several minutes later, Conscript Blue Chimpmunk returns, with a group of six more conscripts.

"I've found more people, to help you with the...", she looks around, "... stretchers".

Another twelve-conscript welcome committee was sent to the other beach and several pairs of conscripts were sent to patrol the sea-shore.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:38 am

Caluscaria wrote:
"Around here, robots, golems and demons are popular names for artificial intelligence", he explains. "Developing chatbots or raising people from the dead are also included in the ban... I hope it's not too hard a restrain for you", he finishes, smiling.

The Commander nods..."Er...We haven't been known to raise the dead..."

Kruller chuckles, "Well we've had our own war with artificial intelligences in the past...We participated in War of New Shiron to save a fellow Klatchian state at one point against an AI lead army... but we had the Var on our side in that conflict...and trust me their...dislike of Artificial Intelligence was far more...expressive than just about anyone else in the universe..."

Kruller nods at this..."Our plan was to first send out some unmanned air vehicles with lidar, thermal and chemical mapping equipment to provide a survey of the volcano and surrounding area. Then we would decide on sending in a joint team" He points to both himself and the Wisest at this statement...

"My major concern is that I don't know that the United Duchies have anyway of stopping the volcano...the best we might be able to do is mitigate the damage it does and allow you to avoid the worst of the consequences. But we need to loop in some geologists from back home to discuss..." He stops and looks at the Commander. "Which brings me to inviting you to out to our ships for a joint meal between our staffs...I can then also provide the detailed geographic information our unmanned vehicles capture and we can make a decision about who and what needs to be sent to survey the volcano."

The Admiral continues on..."Normally we would let you the hosts make first offer of a joint meal but...well your people are working on rebuilding and I have six floating kitchens and fairly well stocked stores so it seems best if we offer first. That and you should be able to visit those of your people who have become our patients..."

The alconians turn and look at the rafts and everyone turns and looks at Otto again. "You go out on the sea on rafts? To fish...how the hell do you steer them and are you just using poles to guide them?" The particular marine sergeant asks trying to get a good view from this location. The United Duchies has a very high number of watermen and such because its own geography. They tended to be quite particular about small craft...the idea of an island nation having such weak small craft was shocking to most of them.

As the other conscripts appear, the other sergeant turns and looks at them when they announce they are here to help with the job at hand. "Well...if your going to help litter the injured to the beach, where are your stretchers? I've got ones for my teams..."

The doctors have finished their preliminary reviews of the patients and begin to gather into a circle again. "So I think we should send the burn victims first and then we can start prepping the transplants and their donors to go next." Dr. Shelly notes to the group.

"Ah what should we do about the infectious disease patients?" She asks

"The majority should likely stay here...we can improve conditions on site and treat with bionics and anti-vitals here...some might have some secondary damage needing to go out but that's a small minority it appears at the moment..."

"Ah m'am? What about the locals...I mean we can't have families going out to the ships too...just not enough space..." Someone notes.

"Right...Well we will need to set up some kind of virtual viewing space around here...we can pull some vid screens and set up some tents."

The aerostat sits silently above in the air...its radar looking out at other ships and its electronic sensors mapping many of the moving heat sources below...
Last edited by Alcona and Hubris on Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:30 am

The Wisest approvingly nods at the Admiral's proposal to provide a survey. "I cannot wait to have a printed copy of the results of your... detailed maps", he says, unable to reapeat all the technical terms the Alconian has uttered. "They will provide the information that we need to analyze the situation prior to take action". The old man starts rubbing his hands at the thought of a map of the island with a deeper level of detail than any other that a Caluscarian cartographer may have ever drawn, then he taps his lips twice, lost in deep thought.

"We shall be thankful even if you don't stop the volcano", he says when Kruller says that the United Duchies might not have a way to solve the problem. "Volcanoes are like noisy neighbours: you can ask them to moderate their voices and, if it does not work, build thicker walls".

The old man replies to the invitation to a meal on board with a wide smile. "I'll be glad to have a meal with you... and I think my staff has never seen a floating kitchen", he adds, laughing. "Thank you very much, really. And I also agree that the injured Caluscarians transfered to your medical ships will feel better after my visit. Most of them have never left the island, you know..."

"Yes, it's a hard work and we get mostly small fish on our nets", Conscript Otto replies. "And the day that we get a big one, our rafts hardly support its strength; so we try not to do it".

When the sargeant asks the conscripts about their stretches, they look at each other, confused.

"Nobody told us to bring stretches!", complains one of the new conscripts, a young freckled man with blue eyes and a fair mane. Conscript Blue Chimpmunk hits her forehead with her palm, making a clapping sound.

"I'm sure we can be useful anyway", another conscript says, looking at everybody around her, Alconians and Caluscarians. She does not specify how, just stay there, adjusting her dark brown topknot.

"Yes, that's the right order", Doctor Rafaella concurred. For different reasons, burned patients and donors were the ones that needed better isolation, which they would find in the controlled environment of the medical ships.

"Infectious disease patients should be kept appart", she replied to Dr. Shelly. "I would keep them in the outskirts of the city, to prevent the pathogens from spreading in your ship. Your crew's lymphocytes might not be prepared to repeal our bacteriae".

"Bionics is a marvelous technology, I've heard", Doctor Rafaella reluctantly said when the Alconian doctor mentioned them, "but I regret to inform you that they are not allowed in Caluscaria, sorry". The last word sounded more like a curse than an apology.

Telling the families was also the Caluscarian healer's responsibility. "I'll speak to them", she said with a gruffy voice. She hated doing it, but there was no other way.

The virtual viewing space and the tents were reasonable, so she granted them permission with a nod and a vague gesture. She was still wondering how to tell the families that the patients would be sent alone to a stranger ship...

At the foot of the high peek, a short bearded man stares at the sky.

"Are you sure that it's over there?", he asks.

The green-eyed woman removes her headphones from her carrot hair and leaves the cave.

"Exactly, a stationery unidentified object sending a regular signal".

"Whatever it is, if we can detect it, I bet it can detect us. Let's turn everything off", he says, hurrying inside.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:59 pm

The admiral and his staff seem relieved at the Wisest's reasonableness about it all.

"Quite...Well Bones is there anything else we need to deal with now? I'm sure that the captains are right now plotting a full..."
He stops..."Well you know they are a bit concerned with me just sort of being out here..." He adds.

"No, sir...I think we can safely allow the wheels to move and let our host deal with the day to day...and get you back to dealing with the Outer Minister, the Service Lord...a report to the Grand Chamber..."

Kruller hunches over a bit as each task is named..."Vacation is over eh?"

"Yes sir..." Bones adds...but then asks a random question. "Just out of reference sir, how does your population travel internationally? we haven't seen any infrastructure that supports it really.... I ask since if there is an air strip it would be easier to have the international press come out and report on your needs and recovery...always good to get the international public on your side...especially to keep promises from other nations."

"Infectious disease patients should be kept appart", she replied to Dr. Shelly. "I would keep them in the outskirts of the city, to prevent the pathogens from spreading in your ship. Your crew's lymphocytes might not be prepared to repeal our bacteriae".

"More likely the other way Doctor...we're far less isolated than you are and less live animal/ human interactions than some of our trading partners. But we've got a good deal of proper isolation wards for such...but there isn't much we can do better out there than here so I agree we should set up a ward father from the city proper...and we will have shipments of the antibiotics and antivirals out and instruct you in any you don't know how to use properly for the infectious. Now we can call in the bearers and they can start to pull out the burn patients...."

Dr. Shelly taps on her screen a few times and there is a bing back. "Alright, we are locking and loading folks...you know Marines don't stand in their way..."

"Need a Carolina Log..." Says one sergeant in response...Another huffs and shakes his head I think a coracle would do them better...Nah a cat would do them good..." Says the third...

A bing stops the conversation and the three sargents turn and start issuing orders. "All right you demon dogs time to hump in land and get this boats full. He looks down at the pocket screen that is in his hand. "We will be taking burn victims out first..."

The gruff one looks over at Otto and barks, "If you're here to escort...start escorting..."

The Alconians form two lines and begin to march inland following a similar path to the Admirals group. They don't appear to wait for any of the conscripts just carry their stretchers rolled up over their shoulders and march forward. Though each group's sergeant appears to be providing navigation from their small pocket tablet devices. Their lean bodies and tan skin and array of hair color seem not to differentiate themselves as they all wear the same duty uniform and march at a quick pace into the interior.

The aerostat doesn't care about a single radio signal. The large floating structure, that looks like two thin blimp shapes merged into one, just keeps hovering. Somewhere a thermal camera notes the man outside of the cave and marks it into the data stream.

But no-one onboard the ships is looking for a radio signal target. No one cares about a local living in a cave.

So it just gets marked by an auto data reading program and filed if someone does care in the near future.

ARN Otto
The Mayfly UGV was raised up on the deck. The single massive turbo prop engine roars to life as the wings lower and lock into place. It taxies across the deck and onto the launching rail.

The mayfly is noted because of its second boom, not fitted with an engine but filled with sensors. Five silver eyes sit around the bulbs end looking like a bugs eye. Though the top section is not an eye but a long barrel of the 75 mm cannon sits quietly disarmed for this mission.

The deck crew call in to the CAC..."Otto, this is control we have Otto-Scout-1 ready..."

"Control, this is CAC drone control...all sensors are ready..."

"Launching in 10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1"

The Mayfly is suggenly jerked by the powerful electromagnetic rail in the deck. The unit tosses the large UGV out into the sky. She turns in the air and settles down onto her course to begin scanning the island by going over it grid by grid...

Meanwhile Otto-Scout-2 emerges from the deck elevator to begin her taxing to the rail and launch...
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Fri Jan 01, 2021 9:23 am

The Wisest slowly nods at the question about the infrastructure; he does it about five times before replying.

"You've noticed that. Its an important issue, provided that our economical relationship with the foreign nations significantly relies on turism". He takes a sip at his banana juice. "We usually let the counterpart run the logistics and offer a discount in our exports to pay for that. In the case of turists, we negotiate with the agencies, which pay us for guided tours, lodging and souvenirs."

"You can imagine how expensive is for a Caluscarian to travel beyond our frontiers", he goes on. "We only seldom send citizens abroad, and we mostly live on what we find in the island".

"It's... temporary, of course. Better times will come and we'll build infrastructures...", he says, looking somewhere in the distance, "... but, for the moment, we're busy with more immediate needs".

Doctor Rafaella frowned at Doctor Shelly's disagreement and her eyes turned crimson when the Alconian said that she did not know how to use the antibiotics and antivirals; something that was right, on the other hand. Tucking her fist behind her, she took a deep breath and replied.

"I'm sure I will quickly learn the proper way to use the antibiotics and antivirals. Will you teach me?", she asked with a tight grin she pretended to be a smile. She would have to swallow her pride if she wanted to be taught the modern healing methods.

The large welcome committee escorted the Alconians. At first, they tried to offer directions, but they finally realized their guests were finding their way on their own devices, literally, and stopped giving directions.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Fri Jan 01, 2021 11:32 am

Caluscaria wrote:"You can imagine how expensive is for a Caluscarian to travel beyond our frontiers", he goes on. "We only seldom send citizens abroad, and we mostly live on what we find in the island".

"It's... temporary, of course. Better times will come and we'll build infrastructures...", he says, looking somewhere in the distance, "... but, for the moment, we're busy with more immediate needs".

"Obviously sir, but..." Bones is cut short by a look from the Admiral. "Yes, sir..."

The Admiral looked back at the wisest. "So three details need to be worked out...
First, when do we wish to dine?..I will send over a helicopter to pick you and up to twelve others to carry you over say an hour before dinner...give you a bit of a tour of the kitchens then we can eat...likely this is going to be something of a working meal. I know that the Outer Minister will want to speak with you more than likely.

Second, I am going to set up a delegation of sorts, mostly a communications site over on the beach. That way if something needs to be discussed you can raise us even if none of our boats are on station.

Third, I want to assign you a temporary adjutant to help keep things smooth over on this side...make sure we don't do something stupidly culturally insensitive or such...and let your folks have someone to ask questions of what we are doing..."

"Sound reasonable?"

Doctor Shelly watched the younger woman seem to frustrate at the statement about guidance.

"I'm sure I will quickly learn the proper way to use the antibiotics and antivirals. Will you teach me?", she asked with a tight grin she pretended to be a smile.

Doctor Shelly didn't return the smile but looked at Doctor Raffella with a level stare. "I apologize for any insult given Doctor, but no insult was intended." She sighs, "I'm sure you have lots of practical experience with local medicines and even with with most of the modern pharmacology we are using, but likely no experience with Alconian preparations, combinations, or dose size, or specialized containers. When I did an assignment in London, between the changes in labeling, dose size differences, and difference in preparations being used I had to walk around with a local pharmacology reference for weeks and was always double checking with the local nurses to make sure I hadn't prescribed something that the pharmacist was going to misinterpet...or the nurse was going to use in a different way than I had intended..."

Then she gives a wry smile, "I haven't seen anything by the Caluscaria medical team that isn't sound medical practice. And I'm from a region of the world where some nations still treat barbers as legal medical practitioners and let them write out scripts for opioid drugs."

"So Doctor, are you still feeling insulted?"

She turned slightly before the younger doctor could reply. They both saw the two lines of Alconain Marines enter the medical area. The medical staff began to give instructions and the Marines just nodded and began to find patients and start the transfer process. The medical staff also began to wrangle the welcome committee members into helping the marines do the transfer from beds to stretchers.

"Because we are not neccessarily better doctors and nurses and we are not looking down our nose at you all...This group has trained for this kind of event, and we have a Government that spends money towards giving us resources to make our responses efficient, because any of us...Outer Islanders, Hubarians, Grand Islanders, Red Islanders, Western Marchers, Eastern Marchers, Calwabians, or even CWs could be in a similar boat when a typhoon, tornado, walrus revolt, tidal wave, astroid, vampir hassen outbreak or even volcanic eruption hits one of our particular regions or archipelagos....so together, the United Duchies forms this unit and train to respond and save lives quickly"
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sat Jan 02, 2021 1:23 pm

"Quite reasonable", the Wisest affably replies. "I will need a couple of hours to deal with a few issues in the island... so, if you agree, we shall meet in two hours' time at Eastern Beach".

Two hours should be enough to deal with whatever Bodyguard Kena had arranged to solve that urgent problem, the Wisest thinks. Or to undo whatever she has done, if she has chosen unwisely.

Doctor Rafaella blushes, unconsciously stepping back. "No... I'm not", she stammers, ashamed.

The Caluscarian healer takes a deep breath and regains her composture. "There's no insult", she says, with a serene voice. "I'll be pleased to learn how to apply your antibiotics and antivirals... and feel curiosity about how you dealt with so diverse events. Might we have an opportunity to share experiences later?", she asked, smiling. After so many days of incessant work, having lunch with a colleague would be a change for better.

"So you have doubled the security measures around the... nurses?", the Wisest cannot believe it.

Bodyguard Kena stands still in front of the old man, her thick arms tucked behind her back. They are alone in his hut; the Alconians have already departed to prepare for the meeting.

"I could not tell you about the security breach while the enemy was present...", she excuses herself.

"The enemy?", the Wisest laughs, making the turtles in his shirt jump and shake. "They are our friends! They came here to help us!"

"Please accept my apologies if I have chosen badly...", Kena mumbles, aiming down.

"No, your mission was to ensure security and that's what you did", the Wisest says with a grave voice. "I told you that I trusted your wits and I keep my word. Just give order that the extra conscripts help the Alconians or resume their duties. And prepare for tonight: we have a dinner with the Alconians"

Gustavo sinks the bottle in the sea and dries it with a cloth before corking it. The green skinned man turns his bulging eyes towards the odd group behind.

Conscript Kwon stands firm on the beach, looking at the dark sky as though a huge beast were going to descend and swallow him whole. Beside him is Bodyguard Sturm Swiftsling, who grins as he plays with his large moustache, apparently confident about the situation. Their attitudes could not be more different, at least in appearance.

Bodyguard Kena is talking to the remaining four bodyguards, her thick arms akimbo and her feet separated. Suddenly, she starts laughing, her blonde hair and her chest jumping in unison.

Doctor Rafaella is engaged in a deep conversation with Professor Cuaridim. The famous engineer is working on a sea purifying system that would ensure the sweet water supply even if it does not snow on Land's Mouth.

High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma is kneeling on the ground with her arms buried on the sand, in the middle of a circle she has drawn. Mumbering unintelligible words with her eyes closed, she looks deep in concentration.

Finally, walking around the group is the Wisest, talking to Advisor Favedor about the economic implications and the way to restore the old status quo.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:30 pm

Caluscaria wrote:"Quite reasonable", the Wisest affably replies. "I will need a couple of hours to deal with a few issues in the island... so, if you agree, we shall meet in two hours' time at Eastern Beach".

“I will send a helicopter to pick your group up from the beach.”

The Admiral stands and turns, “I will be assigning Lieutenant Winton-Smith to duty here.”

The Lieutenant blinks at this and says nothing but the Admiral smiles broadly. “Really, I think some diplomatic training for a future peer is always a good idea.”

The Admiral and Commander Bones depart…allowing their guides to lead them back to the beach. And are picked up by a helicopter.

Lieutenant Winton-Smith also leaves but waits outside for a bit and watches the locals.

"There's no insult", she says, with a serene voice. "I'll be pleased to learn how to apply your antibiotics and antivirals... and feel curiosity about how you dealt with so diverse events. Might we have an opportunity to share experiences later?”…

Dr. Shelly shakes her head. “A good number of those events have occurred over the past four hundred years, I am not that old…and some never occurred to us but others in the Klatch…So we plan on how to deal with them…But you will receive the training.

“Now then shall we see how these Marines are actually getting people out to the ships? And we might see if we can get one of the boat crews to bring over some lunch from the ships…Since then we can also be there to receive the medical supplies…”

The Alconians move the wounded to their hovercraft, loading about 36 wounded per craft before it pulls back and out across the water.

Another hovercraft comes out to replace it and a cycle begins of hauling Caluscarians out to the hospital ships.

The hospital ships use floating docks to take their patients into the ship where large elevators transport them up decks. Most are sent to their medical cabins to await treatment. While others are transferred to medical stations where treatment begins for their wounds…

Gustavo sinks the bottle in the sea and dries it with a cloth before corking it. The green skinned man turns his bulging eyes towards the odd group behind.

Conscript Kwon stands firm on the beach, looking at the dark sky as though a huge beast were going to descend and swallow him whole. Beside him is Bodyguard Sturm Swiftsling, who grins as he plays with his large moustache, apparently confident about the situation. Their attitudes could not be more different, at least in appearance.

Bodyguard Kena is talking to the remaining four bodyguards, her thick arms akimbo and her feet separated. Suddenly, she starts laughing, her blonde hair and her chest jumping in unison.

Doctor Rafaella is engaged in a deep conversation with Professor Cuaridim. The famous engineer is working on a sea purifying system that would ensure the sweet water supply even if it does not snow on Land's Mouth.

High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma is kneeling on the ground with her arms buried on the sand, in the middle of a circle she has drawn. Mumbering unintelligible words with her eyes closed, she looks deep in concentration.

Finally, walking around the group is the Wisest, talking to Advisor Favedor about the economic implications and the way to restore the old status quo.

The group is watched over by Lieutenant Winton-Smith who tries to be friendly enough. However, she eyes Kena’s sudden laughter with narrowed eyes. Really the whole group is going to be interesting.

When her pocket communicator bings she looks at it and states loudly, “Inbound in three minutes…” She moves to politely have the Wisest and his advisor stop moving into the circle she has made on the beach.
“Gentlemen, please stay outside of the safety zone.” She states. She remains standing in the center, more to keep the locals from entering it again.

The roar of the engine passes overhead as the double roater helicopter descends from above. Just as it nears the ground at the center of the circle…Winton-Smith runs from under it at almost doubled over and then turns at the edge of the safety circle. She leans into the air and the blowing sand as the vehicle finally drops onto its large set of wheels.

The sound and force of air changes suddenly, the air seems to be now slightly pulling towards the helicopter as she feathers her blades…stopping the malestrom of sand she had created earlier.

A short, stout woman of middle age walks down the ramp. She adjusts her helmet and the name Pisaro is stretched across her flight uniform.
“Lady Winton? Are we here to pick up all these folks?” She asks.

Winton-Smith stands and turns to the Caluscaria group. “Yes we are…”

“Conscript Kwon if you and the others wish to inspect the craft before the Wisest boards please do so…”

They will find that the short hull of the aircraft holds about seven seats on each side of the cargo bay. At the far end there is a ladder the leads up to a smaller cabin that is fitted with a modified aircraft galley on one side and a small desk space with a couple of seats on the other side.

Beyond that is the cockpit with two flight officers sitting at the controls who look back impassively at anyone who enters their space.

The seats are decently, comfortable. They are made of aluminum welded tubing with stretched ballistic nylon webbing. And they obviously can be folded up to give more cargo space if needed.

After the inspection, and as people begin finding their seats, the short stout woman will announce “I am Cargo Master Pisaro and I am your attendent for this wonderful ten minute journey…unless you are trained to be air crew…such as the Lieutenant you need to stay in your seats buckled in…If you do not I will...”

Winton-Smith raises an eyebrow at that. She is still standing on the ramp. Pisaro stops, nods and then moves over to the Wisest.

Cargo Master Pisaro will say, “Sir, if I might help you put on your safety belt to demonstrate to the others?”

“Alright…This V shaped web with the buckle goes over your head like so. Then these two bottom straps go into the buckle like so. Now then to tighten press the green button once…double tapping the green button will cause you to be locked down into your seat not just snuggled in. If you need to release it grab and squeeze both sides of the buckle…”

She stands up and then begins to look at little led icons above peoples seats and correct those who don’t have themselves buckled in properly.

Once all of the visitors are loaded in, the craft will take to the sky. Pisaro will sit down the hatch between her office space and the cargo. Winton-Smith will walk up to the same bulkhead and pull another jumpsuit out from a small compartment built into the bulkhead to sit down and lock herself in.
Last edited by Alcona and Hubris on Sat Jan 02, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:01 am

"Of course", the Wisest says when Lieutenant Winton-Smith states them to stay outside of the safety zone.

The old man slowly moves out of the circle. There was a time when he would have just jumped out of it, but now he walks slowly everywhere. At first, he considered it a loss; now, however, he sees it as an advantage, because it gives him time to think about each step.

The six bodyguards follow suit and surround him, as well as Advisor Favedor, who happens to be next to him. They stay silent, patiently waiting for the helicopter to arrive. Conscript Kwon joins them, his eyes fixed on the roaring flying vehicle about to land. It is not the first time he sees one, but now he is going to enter and allow those strangers to carry him to their base ships.

Also mesmerized by the helicopter are Doctor Rafaella and Professor Cuaridim. However, they are gazing in awe at the marvel of technology that is descending upon them. Without removing his eyes from the double rotors, Cuaridim touches Rafaella's forearm and they both leave the landing circle.

High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma continues her ritual, her arms now caressing the land as though she were trying to tell the frightened sands there is nothing to fear from the metal monster from beyond the shore. She is not on the landing circle, and nobody dares to interrupt her.

Gustavo observes the whole scene with the bottle in his hand, paying attention to each detail in silence. There will be plenty of time to speak later. And he will have many things to tell.

Finally, the helicopter lands and the wind calms. Prthveekeeaatma opens her green eyes as though she had just awoken from a pleasant dream and stands up with a soft movement, like if her body were floating to a stand-up position.

It is then that Cargo Master Pisaro walks down the ramp to the sand. After a perfunctory conversation with Lieutenant Winton-Smith, the latter allows Kwon to enter the helicopter and inspect it. The sharp-eyed conscript nods and proceeds.

"Clear!", he announces after a while.

The Wisest enters the vehicle, followed by his six bodyguards. After them come Advisor Favedor, Professor Cuaridim, Doctor Rafaella, High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma and Gustavo.

Cuaridim lets out a sad sigh when Cargo Master Pisaro states that everyone should stay in their seats, but does not complain. All Caluscarians take a seat in the cargo bay and pay attention to the instructions to fasten their seatbelts. All guests follow them with no issue, except Bodyguard Kena, who claims that the V shaped web is not her size; she needs a bit of help with the green button, but she finally manages to lock herself down.

As soon as the helicopter takes off, six conscripts arrive at Eastern Beach. All of them watching the sea but one, Conscript Ahmed, who watches the high-tech fiying vehicle disappear in the night sky, wishing to have been chosen to go in there.
Last edited by Caluscaria on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Alcona and Hubris
Chargé d'Affaires

Postby Alcona and Hubris » Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:58 pm

Flight Caluscaria One

Lieutenant Winton-Smith sat quietly for about thirty seconds before the Cargo Master tapped her on the shoulder and handed over a headset.

The Lieutenant donned it and listened for a few moments than nodded to herself.

She stood up and went over to the Wisest..keeping against the motion of the craft by holding onto straps hanging down from the center of the bay…

”Sir, the ARN Nightingale is going to actually officially receive you, so she’s going to fire a twenty one shot salute when you land. Also, When you reach Captain Wilcox it is the general practice to ask for permission to board. Since it appears that this will be going out on the news wires we thought you should know”

After answering any questions the Wisest may have she will go sit down again…

ARN Nightingale

As the ARN Nightengale’s salute gun fires off harmless rounds out to sea. The helicopter lowers itself onto the helipad of the ship built near the stern.

The cargo ramp lowers to reveal the upper decks of the ship rising up to the massive rear funnel of the former ocean liner. A few decks above a group of people stand at a railing and look down on the scene below.

On the current deck, a group of individuals in white dress uniform stand waiting. They are relaxed and form two groups on either side of a rather large doorway.

Winston-Smith stands and the cargo master makes sure no one is stuck in their harness as she lets the Caluscarian delegation organize itself and walk out to the waiting delegation.

The first Alconian is a short, stout woman who grey hair and tanned skin seem at contrast with the bright blue eyes. “Wilcox” is stretched across her heart with a few lines of ribbons below. Andrea Wilcox appears to have a couple of years on Admiral Kruller who stands right behind her.

Admiral Cruller and Commander Bones both are now dressed in full white uniforms waiting and smiling. Kruller making some comment to Bones.

On the group on the other side of the doorway is led by Captain Sir Jeffry Burns. He looks like a poster child for the Alconian navy with full black hair and a bushy mustache that makes him look like he is trying to be cast for a Magnum P.I. reboot.

Standing next to him is Doctor Peter Zarma, the medical symbol over his name tag denotes his profession. Whispering into his ear is a very young woman Midshipmen Angela Vormaar. She looks like she should be in school, not on the deck of a ship in a military uniform.

As the Wisest leads out his party a boson’s whistle blows out and a statement of “Caluscaria!” is called out by a gruff voice over an unseen intercom.

Wilcox steps forward and smiles at the Wisest, “Welcome Aboard, on behalf of her Grace and her Regent welcome to the ARN Nightingale”

She then begins the introductions.

OOC: Sorry to ask but how 'magical' is your nation? Some people around here used to give Druids 'powers' but not all...of course that was long before the infestation of the My Little Pony Nations...
You're young...
Observer Status in LDO

Caluscaria
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Caluscaria » Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:37 pm

Conscript Kwon screams. He has been warned about the salute gun fires, but the sudden thundering noise startles him. Ashamed, he stares at the void in silence, pretending that he had never shouted.

The world stops shaking. Gustavo blinks slowly. Twice. It seems that the helicopter has finally landed on the ship, but his head is still spinning. In the opposite side of the cargo bay, Conscript Kwon stares at the void while, beside him, High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma is lost in meditation. Neither of them bother to ask about Gustavo's health.

The bodyguards do not seem to care, either. They are commenting the experience like children in their first raft sail.

Professor Cuaridim is trying to explain Doctor Rafaella something about the double-rotor system, but she looks confused. Either she does not understand the technical details or she is seasick; probably both. Advisor Favedor listens attentively and makes short questions.

The Wisest is quiet. He must be getting ready for the encounter.

The cargo ramp starts lowering...

High Druidess Prthveekeeaatma shakes her head as she tries to commune with the sea to apologize for the contamination that the salute gun fires are littering on the ocean. Even with her eyes shut, she can smell the salty waters. And notice the incoming light.

She opens her eyes just to see the exit door lower, letting a slit of light filter into the cargo bay. The thin line slowly widens, revealing the world beyond: it looks as though somebody had built a whole city by sticking one house to the next, neglecting the gap for banana trees... and then heaped more houses onto them. Prthveekeeaatma has seen several-story buildings before, but never such massive blocks. They are no longer in the island.

The Wisest thanks Lieutenant Winton-Smith for freeing him from the seat belt and stands up. Immediately, the six bodyguards follow suit and, behind them, Conscript Kwon and the rest of the Caluscarians.

Before walking on board, the old man looks at the short, stout woman labelled "Wilcox" and smiles.

"We come in representation of the Community of Caluscaria. Do we have your permission to board?", he politely asks.

Only when he is allowed in, the Wisest boards the ship, followed by the bodyguards, who form in two lines, letting the rest of the Caluscarians in the middle.

"Well met, and thanks for inviting us into this gorgeous ship", he replies to Wilcox's welcoming words before Alconians and Caluscarians are formally introduced.

OOC: Magic is currently very rare and weak in Caluscaria. Many arcane spheres are forbidden (i.e. necromancy) and most wizards prefer practicing in secret rather than arguing about the legality of a particular spell. The High Druidess is more a hippie minister of environment than a sorceress: her bond to Nature is based on her faith and all she does is care for the land and preach for others to do so; it would be very unlikely that Nature replied with miracles to her prayers. But nothing is impossible...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents