NATION

PASSWORD

Deus non Irridetur (OOC, Open)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Anatidor
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 23, 2019
Ex-Nation

Deus non Irridetur (OOC, Open)

Postby Anatidor » Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:19 pm

Rockford was a shithole. The schools were bad. The healthcare system was a joke. The roads were in poor condition. The closest thing the locals had to culture was a couple of run-down cinemas and a few greasy restaurants. But so what? A lot of towns were like that, all over the world. What made Rockford so special? Why did every officer of the Civil Guard live in mortal fear of being transferred to Camp Saint James outside of town? Most new arrivals seethed with barely-contained rage, certain an unfriendly superior had transferred them there in retaliation for some slight, real or imagined. Everyone knew Rockford, indeed, all of North Lucien Province, was a bad place to be. Colonel Mosley had made a habit of seeing all newcomers personally, to reassure them. The Civil Guard always needs more men at Saint James, he would tell them. We lose more men here than every other province put together. Invariably, these young men would always ask, Why doesn't the King just send in the army, y'know make an end of the whole problem? Mosley often wondered the same thing, even if he could never let a subordinate know of his misgivings. He always smiled, instead, and told them the King knew best.

Gerald Mosley sat on the armchair in his parlor, smoking a cigarette. His dark hair had long since receded from the top of his head. Were it not for the his well-kept uniform and the trim mustache on his lip, he might have passed for a tonsured monk. His wife Edith, a thickly-built brunette, sat on the nearby sofa. Their daughter Mary, a girl of fourteen who was beginning to look striking like her mother, sat beside her. The television was on, though Mosley hadn't been paying it much attention. It was one of the quiz shows Edith liked to watch, playing along and calling out the answers before the contestants could.

The distant sound of automatic gunfire registered faintly over the drone of the television. Edith glanced briefly at the window, and then at her husband.

“Is it close, Gerry?” there was only a trace of concern in her voice, the question asked almost automatically.

“No,” he replied, rising to his feet. “it's outside the perimeter.”

Mosley glanced briefly at his daughter, who hadn't even reacted to the sound, and frowned. She was used to it, was too young to remember living in a place where insurgents didn't attack checkpoints or gun down guardsmen on a regular basis. This was just what her life was like.

“But I should call the base, just to be sure.”

As he walked over to the telephone, he sighed. If King Alexander knew best, he would have figured out what to do with the Headchurchers.

Times were rough back in the eighties. The Anatidorian economy had collapsed. The welfare state, such as it was, simply could not handle the strain. Holy Mother Church as ever tried to pick up the pieces of a shattered society. But people inevitably slipped through the cracks. One such individual was 'Jimmy' James Robert Pole. He was a preacher and faith healer to the Protestant minority in Dismasport. He set the blind to seeing and the the lame to walking, but when donations fell away so did his miracles. He drifted for awhile in the east, ultimately settling in the sleepy mining town of Silverlode, North Lucien. The town wasn't much. But the people had fallen away from the Faith. Men got drunk, beat theirs wives and their children. Young folk went about and did all manner of unseemly things to each other. It was the sort of place crying out for a reckoning, but the local parishes didn't have the funds for outreach, and that beside the local priests had become numb to it all. But that was alright. Jimmy Pole was a good listener, and an even better speaker. The blissful surety of Heaven and the ghastly fires of Hell both dripped from his lips every Sunday. More and more congregants traded one church for another. In a few years, he had a narrow plurality of the King's subjects in all of North Lucien Province under his power.

But the Church founded by Christ and entrusted through time and space, through Apostolic succession unto the bishops of Anatidor across all ages- that is, the Church Catholic- was not terribly worried. Flash in the pan heretical movements were almost as old as Christianity itself. Jimmy Pole and the Church of the Godhead would be a faint memory soon enough, but the Ecclesia would still be there for its sundered brethren. Unfortunately, Pole and his peculiar theology would prove quite difficult to unseat.

At first, Pole taught an unorthodox, but recognizable Unitarian, Sola Scriptura theology. It could be formidably persuasive against a poorly-catechized Catholic. But by the mid-nineties some strange ideas entered his sermons, and an in time came to dominate his thought. For one thing, he began to preach about the immanence of the Apocalypse. He avoided setting an exact date, but constantly harangued his followers to be ready. Later, near the end of his life, he began to suggest that 'true believers' could usher in Christ's return by waging an armed struggle against the 'Whore of Babylon,' usually associated with either the Catholic Church or the Anatadorian government- usually both.

Jimmy Pole died in 2007 at the age of sixty-five, his third wife and his many children at his deathbed. The Church of the Godhead was now in the hands of his son and heir, 'Bobby' Robert James Pole. Matters become much worse, after that. Large swathes of North Lucien province were effectively beyond Royal control, virtually overnight. Catholic churches and government buildings were attacked by armed men. A Eucharistic procession was gunned down- priests, altar boys, nuns, and laypeople- in what history has come to call the Corpus Christi Massacre. King Graham IX, nearly eighty years old, doddered indecisively over what to do about the situation, fearful of the international backlash that might accompany sending in the army to crush the troublemakers. After more than a year of waiting, the local faithful grew impatient. Catholic militias were formed across the province, ultimately uniting their scattered strengths as the Brotherhood of Saint Anthony. The Brotherhood organized vicious reprisals, and became particularly well-known for their preference for bombings.

After King Alexander III took his grandfather's seat in the fall of 2008, the Civil Guard finally entered the picture and violently enforced a sort of stalemate. In the years since, little has changed. A Headchurch mob attacks a Catholic school, a priest quietly blesses a Brotherhood bomb bound for a Headchurch compound, and a few Guardsmen get shot every week. Everyone knew that something had to give. But nobody expected foreigners.

Diplomatic Communique of the Kingdom of Anatidor

Ora et Labora

From the desk of Sir Anthony Bridger, Secretary to His Royal Majesty Alexander III Biscos-Hamor of Anatidor, Dei Gratia, etc.
To: Whomever it may concern
Subject: North Lucien Crisis
Encryption: Medium
Sir/Madame/Etc.,

You are no doubt aware of the difficulties that have plagued North Lucien Province over these last several years. If you are not, then at the risk of severe oversimplification, I will say that a fringe religious movement has seized control of much of the province, and that a rival, Catholic militia has sprung up to combat them. Our brave Civil Guard is all that stands between the region and open warfare. All attempts by the Royal Government to settle the crisis have come to nought. Our noble sovereign has come to believe that our nation is unable to resolve the issue without resorting to violent military suppression. But, being a pious, peaceful man, the King has asked me to relay his desire for foreign support in laying the problem to rest. In particular His Majesty is interested in employing the services of skilled diplomats, finding our own domestic service lacking, but he would also be quite happy to welcome experts in policing hostile populations or any other aid that your nation might be willing to offer.

That said, our government will not accept any settlement which grants formal recognition to the Church of the Godhead as a political institution, and under no circumstances does this request for aid constitute any cession of Anatidorian sovereignty.

Warmest regards,
Sir Anthony Bridger,
Secretary to HRM and Acting-Minister of Foreign Affairs

Okay, thanks for your interest, if you're still reading.

Most of a province in eastern Anatidor is operating more or less as an independent state, run by a fringe religious movement called the Church of the Godhead. A Catholic resistance movement, The Brotherhood of Saint Anthony, opposes them violently. The Royal government uses the paramilitary Civil Guard to maintain some semblance of order, but is frequently accused of allowing the Brotherhood to operate unhindered. The King has decided that the situation cannot be resolved without sending in the regular army to slaughter an awful lot of people. Concerned that this will hurt Anatidor's reputation abroad, he had instead decided to enlist foreign help in deescalating the crisis.

This is where you come in. I'm not really into the idea of doing a military RP, so Anatidor won't allow any large-scale deployment of foreign troops. I might be open to doing to some small, RP-heavy police operations or something like that, as long as the focus is on maintaining order and not on a straight-up military campaign. What I'm really interested in is a more diplomatically-oriented RP, but I'd be happy to hear suggestions. Once we have some interested parties here I might get started on an IC thread.

I didn't really bother writing an application form, so if you want to join in you can just write an in-character reply to the communique and add whatever other notes or ideas you might have OOC.

Anatidor
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Anatidor » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:37 pm

Bump

Old Tanokiana
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Corrupt Dictatorship

You son of a gun, count me in

Postby Old Tanokiana » Wed Oct 28, 2020 2:58 am

Anatidor wrote:

Ora et Labora

From the desk of Sir Anthony Bridger, Secretary to His Royal Majesty Alexander III Biscos-Hamor of Anatidor, Dei Gratia, etc.
To: Whomever it may concern
Subject: North Lucien Crisis
Sir/Madame/Etc.,

You are no doubt aware of the difficulties that have plagued North Lucien Province over these last several years. If you are not, then at the risk of severe oversimplification, I will say that a fringe religious movement has seized control of much of the province, and that a rival, Catholic militia has sprung up to combat them. Our brave Civil Guard is all that stands between the region and open warfare. All attempts by the Royal Government to settle the crisis have come to nought. Our noble sovereign has come to believe that our nation is unable to resolve the issue without resorting to violent military suppression. But, being a pious, peaceful man, the King has asked me to relay his desire for foreign support in laying the problem to rest. In particular His Majesty is interested in employing the services of skilled diplomats, finding our own domestic service lacking, but he would also be quite happy to welcome experts in policing hostile populations or any other aid that your nation might be willing to offer.

That said, our government will not accept any settlement which grants formal recognition to the Church of the Godhead as a political institution, and under no circumstances does this request for aid constitute any cession of Anatidorian sovereignty.

Warmest regards,
Sir Anthony Bridger,

It was late in the evening, Tsar Krisstian just left the State Duma about the agrarian sector's conflict with the Industrial sector. He heard enough from Kolchak and Gumm, it was time to relax. He flicks the switch to his lamp, and sits in his favourite chair... "My Tsar! A Letter!" Barging in, Mr. Oxford, his dearest friend and speaker, shouts at uncomfortable levels. "What?" The Tsar asked tiredly, he was only 29, yet he already feels 50. "Anatidor, it seems they need help with dissidents, the Catholic kind." "Like FarCry?" Asked the Tsar. "Yes, sir, like FarCry." Can't we send in the military?" Asked the Tsar childishly, "Just read the letter." ... The Tsar read the letter, stood up, stretched, and then said: "In that case, send over 120 trainers, tell Kolchak he's got a quota to meet; 100,000 riot shields, the heavy kind. And bring in the Sierran guards." "Of course sir, but what about the diplomatic approach? We can't just bring Mrs. Yamamoto from her vacation." "You're the next best thing" the Tsar said, "And bring General Kavrok with you." The Speaker was hesitant, but he followed the plan. He contacted Kolchak for his quota, he informed the Colonial Administration of Antra Sierra, and a letter of notice to a certain Sir Anthony Bridger.

To the kind Secretary Sir Anthony Bridger,

Salutations, good morning, evening, or afternoon. As of your request for aid, we would like to provide. With our surplus of 1,300 heavy riot shields per week, our Arms manufacturing districts, and the 7,000 Sierran men, along with help from me, the Speaker of the Tsar, Mr. Raymond Oxford, and Brigadier General Kavrok, we would like to know if your logistics can handle the influx of Sub-saharan men onto your streets, as we don't wish to starve you or ourselves. We would also like the approval of the King to ratify that we will help with dissidents only. Of course is negotiable, please respond when you see this.

With kind regards, Speaker of the Tsar Mr. Raymond Oxford.

Ooc: I'm just gonna go with the flow of whichever direction this'll take
PT-MT Nation used to be a representation of my views, NS stats are used rarely
Former Member of: CUSP, UIC
TG me if something's off. I'll probably rewrite my lore when I get to it, if I get to it lol

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE RUSSIAN CZAR | Old Tanokiana is an Orthodox Greco-Frankish nation located in modern day Lower Saxony, Germany.

Anatidor
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Anatidor » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:27 pm

Old Tanokiana wrote:
To the kind Secretary Sir Anthony Bridger,

Salutations, good morning, evening, or afternoon. As of your request for aid, we would like to provide. With our surplus of 1,300 heavy riot shields per week, our Arms manufacturing districts, and the 7,000 Sierran men, along with help from me, the Speaker of the Tsar, Mr. Raymond Oxford, and Brigadier General Kavrok, we would like to know if your logistics can handle the influx of Sub-saharan men onto your streets, as we don't wish to starve you or ourselves. We would also like the approval of the King to ratify that we will help with dissidents only. Of course is negotiable, please respond when you see this.

With kind regards, Speaker of the Tsar Mr. Raymond Oxford.

Ooc: I'm just gonna go with the flow of whichever direction this'll take

Triarchus, Graham County, Anatidor

"ah, you see, Bridger. I told you this would work."

King Alexander sat beaming, his legs on the massive desk and a glass of whiskey in his hand. The palatial office was large enough for a small army of courtiers and functionaries, but at this late hour contained only the sovereign and the man he called Bridger. It felt terribly empty, so the the man moved closer to the desk, away from his position by the roaring fireplace, the Tanokianian communique still held gingerly in his hands. He was a small, unassuming man in a simple black suit, with little round spectacles and a cheap haircut. A visitor would no doubt have mistaken him for a lowly aide, or perhaps a servant. Sir Anthony was neither.

"I agree the offer seems promising," he replied, sounding noncommittal. "but do we even need that many riot shields? The Civil Guard in North Lucien only numbers about six thousand now."

The King frowned. He hated to frown, to be pensive and angry. It made him look like an old man, like his grandfather had. Every time he did it in public, one of the newspapers would remark how like old King Graham he was. He knew this was meant as a compliment, given how much the people had loved Graham the Ninth. But Alexander had a vain streak, and could never abide getting old. He had been in a good mood, and intended to stay there.

"A whole regiment of Guards is being raised in Dauventroy, are they not?" he asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yes, your Majesty," Bridger replied, just a trace of annoyance in his voice. "but they will need to be trained, first. In the meantime, these, uhm-"

The secretary paused to examine the missive.

"Ah, yes, these Sub-Saharans will be most helpful. I will phone Colonel Mosely in the morning to see about where we can quarter them. The only question that remains is where to put up their high officials."

The smile returned to King Alexander's face. He had already considered this question, and felt he had an elegant solution.

"Of course, they will stay at Saint James House, in the mountains."

While the King looked pleased with his answer, his subordinate looked rather alarmed. So close to Headchurch territory? Is he mad? He was about to object, but the King waved his hand dismissively.

"Relax, Sir Anthony," The King said soothingly, "I have already consulted with the Army. Regular troops will defend it, to spare the Civil Guard the trouble. It will be an impregnable fortress by the time the foreigners arrive. Why, I might even drop by to meet with our new friends after they've settled in."

Oh, Lord Jesus Christ. A Royal visit to a war zone. Bridger felt like he was having a stroke.

Ora et Labora

To: Mr. Raymond Oxford, Speaker of the Tsar
Subject: Re: Re: North Lucien Crisis
Encryption: High

Mr. Oxford,

His Majesty was overjoyed at the receipt of your missive, and I emphatically join him in thanking you and Tsar Krisstian for your support. We wholeheartedly accept, of course, though His Majesty feels we may not need quite so many riot shields. Ten or perhaps fifteen thousand would be more than sufficient in total, I think. As for your Sub-Saharans, supplies and billeting will be of no great concern for a force of that size. Yourself and your high officers will be quartered at Saint James House, a rather grand lodge in the hills belonging to the Royal Family, and which is presently being outfitted to serve as a fortified command post.

We very much look forward to a fruitful partnership in this endeavor.

Warmest regards,
Sir Anthony Bridger,

OOC: Sounds good. I think I'll wait another day or so to see if we can drum up any additional interest. If not, I'm sure we can proceed just fine between us and get an IC thread rolling.

Old Tanokiana
Envoy

Founded: Jan 18, 2020
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Old Tanokiana » Wed Oct 28, 2020 8:38 pm

Anatidor wrote:OOC: Sounds good. I think I'll wait another day or so to see if we can drum up any additional interest. If not, I'm sure we can proceed just fine between us and get an IC thread rolling.

Ooc: aight, I'll give it time to possibly grow.
PT-MT Nation used to be a representation of my views, NS stats are used rarely
Former Member of: CUSP, UIC
TG me if something's off. I'll probably rewrite my lore when I get to it, if I get to it lol

NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE RUSSIAN CZAR | Old Tanokiana is an Orthodox Greco-Frankish nation located in modern day Lower Saxony, Germany.

Holy Zeonia
Political Columnist

Founded: Oct 29, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Holy Zeonia » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:17 pm

OOC: INTERPOL logo created by Stoklomolvi, who I hope is okay with me borrowing it for this post

Security: Sensitive, Not for Public Release
Subject: Connections Between Church of the Godhead (Anatidor) and Zeonian Regime

It is confirmed that the unrecognized government in Zeonia ("the Matthews Regime") engages in a number of clandestine and illicit activities in partnership with a variety of non-state actors, including terrorists, insurgents, extremists, and organized crime networks. These activities appear to be divided into two categories. Some activities appear to be solely for the purpose of acquiring currency for the purpose of funding the operations of the Zeonian regime, such as the cultivation, production, and sale of narcotics or the facilitation of human trafficking. Others appear to be motivated by ideological or strategic geopolitical motives, such as the provision of arms to groups which engage in direct action against perceived enemies of the Matthews Regime.

In the case of Anatidor, the theology of the Church of the Godhead ("the CoG") aligns with that espoused by the Zeonian Church of the True Spirit. It is likely that Matthews Regime decision-makers see the CoG as "fellow travelers." However, it is the determination of INTERPOL that profit is the primary motivation for the Matthews Regime to support the CoG. North Lucien Province contains deposits of valuable minerals, including silver, iron, and precious gems. The sale of those mineral resources on international markets through intermediaries would provide a consistent stream of revenue to fund Matthews Regime operations.

INTERPOL data analysis has uncovered communications between the CoG and officers of the Jerusalem Guard, the organization which handles most of the clandestine international actions of the Matthews Regime. These communications indicate that the CoG has offered to provide the Matthews Regime with precious gems and other minerals extracted from mines controlled by the CoG, in exchange for weapons and other military equipment. Members of the CoG's armed wing have also traveled to Zeonia to receive military training, then returned to Anatidor.

It is the recommendation of INTERPOL that efforts be made to defuse tensions in North Lucien Province and reduce the territory controlled by the Church of the Godhead. Continuing violence will only provide greater opportunities for the Matthews Regime to enrich itself and empower fellow rogue actors to do greater damage to the international order.

OOC: this comes on the heels of a Telegram exchange with Anatidor about my nation supporting the Church. I pulled some information from Factbooks and made some assumptions about past actions, which I hope meet with OP's approval
Last edited by Holy Zeonia on Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
(RIP Mount Zeon, Justly Deleted 10 June 2020)

Anatidor
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Anatidor » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:00 pm

Okay, I have an IC post up. It's a little shorter than I'd like, but I really wanted to get something up before I went to bed. Hopefully I gave you guys something you can work with.

New Antarcticania
Minister

Founded: Oct 25, 2020
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby New Antarcticania » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:16 pm

Incoming transmission from the republic of new Antarctica
Recipient: secretary to His loyal majesty Alexander III Biscos-Hamor of anatidor, Dei Gratia, etc.
Encryption:low

can confirm 5000 regular troops to deploy at north Lucien at moment's notice.
Former Frozen commie hole somewhere in Antarctica. Now rebranded as an slightly less frozen and less commie hole somewhere in the South Atlantic, we out-navy the Russian Navy (This is less of a brag now. Isn't it?).

Anatidor
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Anatidor » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:52 am

New Antarcticania wrote:
Incoming transmission from the republic of new Antarctica
Recipient: secretary to His loyal majesty Alexander III Biscos-Hamor of anatidor, Dei Gratia, etc.
Encryption:low

can confirm 5000 regular troops to deploy at north Lucien at moment's notice.

Ora et Labora

To: Whomever it may concern of The Republic of New Antarctica
Subject: Re: Re: North Lucien Crisis

Sir/Madame/Etc. ,

I would like to convey on behalf of his Royal Majesty most our people's most sincere thanks for your concern regarding our crisis. That being said, however, we feel that now is not the time to bring yet more soldiers to bear in North Lucien, as we will surely have trouble enough housing and supplying forces already sent by Old Tanokiania. Financial or material support, quite frankly, would probably be of greater help. In particular, the local hospitals are in particular need of medical supplies- antibiotics, frozen blood plasma, and so on.

Warmest regards,
Sir Anthony Bridger,

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents