NATION

PASSWORD

A Cordial Request (Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Sub Sector Protractis
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 24, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

A Cordial Request (Closed)

Postby Sub Sector Protractis » Tue Oct 20, 2020 2:52 pm

Silvestria Mundi frontier world and system capital, Planetary Governor's Mansion

Top the fabled Ring of Silvestria, above the Imperial Aquila fashioned buildings stood and extensive complex that sprawled many Terran miles. This was the residence of Governor Lupin Vorthal. Planetary Governor and Marshal Militant of the Silvestria system, soon to be host for a delegation of Royal Frankia and the wider Sub-Sector's diplomats. The hall was prepared for a grand entrance, but first the guests would have brave the bitter cold of Silvestria from the landing pad to the dining hall.

Governor Vorthal stood with a contingent of guards on the landing pad with snow hurling over the collected parties.

A 6.1 civilization, according to this index.

Royal Frankia
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 21, 2016
Father Knows Best State

Postby Royal Frankia » Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:10 pm

Into the bitter cold

The Frankian delegation descended down the ramp on the DKS Estanna, the green capes of the Guards flapping in the wind. Secretary Jevik took little stock of the cold, his eye on his surroundings and the Protractisian guards that surrounded him. He looked at the Protractisian representative before him, saluting him with his cane.

Secretary Jevik was dressed more as a servant at court than a representative of a great nation, his dress clearly not suited for the weather. However, a great warmth seemed to be within, having withstood the very cold of the Void. He moved with a limp, an old war wound from the Great War some thirty cycles before.

The Prince followed shortly, aiding the aged Secretary on his descent down the ramp. His dark green eyes scanned the horizon, approving of the general architecture that appeared before him.. A practical people.

Prince Artorious Prestannus Wuflius had been tasked with representing the House of Wylus abroad, acting as a representative of the dynasty where the Sovereignness could not. His heavy boots crumpled in the snow, his furs interwoven within his skins helped insulate him from the cold. His skin was as white as the peaks of mountains, his hair as black as the raven.

Behind him strode figures a good deal taller, wearing armor emblazoned with the Hand of Norva. These were the Novorondons, those whose loyalty to the Realm and Crown had been tested on many a battlefield. Their eyes glanced everywhere, looking for any sign of trouble that might be settled with a feat of strength,.

Some of the Frankians were reminded by their surroundings of tales of the artic wastelands inhabited by the Pords.. Save it was too warm, for surely they would have frozen to death without proper equipment.

Greetings and salutations...

Looking at Vorthal's dress, the Secretary took him for the equivalent of the Dux of this world.

I see that we that are servants of the Dread Sovereignness are most honored by the God-Emperor.. It is the wish of the Mater's Elect that these talks bear good fruit, and that our two folk might drink together in friendship.
Last edited by Royal Frankia on Tue Oct 20, 2020 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
O Pious, do not forsake us!
We keep the Law of the Mater Atkana.
Her name is ever upon our tongue.
O Pious, do not forget the Children of Atkane!
What must rise, must fall. What must live, must die. What must be, must cease. Only the One shall remain.

Annals in the time of Ynga II-Factbook
Atkana the Merciful, Blessed be She and Her Beloved Norva

Sub Sector Protractis
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sub Sector Protractis » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:33 pm

The DKS Estanna landed and deposited her passengers, the entourage looked regal in nature, but at the time time plain. These were a people whom no doubt preferred function over form. Vorthal noted there was no love lost with the absence of Pomp and circumstance, He walked forward and spoke "My honored guests, please join me in the main hall. There is plenty of drink and food for you and your entourage, forgive us the modest welcome as we are a frontier in the Imperium and do not have the ceremonial staff for more elaborate greetings. Also, it is rather chilly and the troops hate nothing more then standing in the elements for the sake of Impressions. Please accept instead the full breath of my hospitality."

Vorthal extended an open arm down the walkway into the Gubernatorial palace.

"Present Arms!" Barked a color Sergeant and the contingent of troops posted their banners and rendered a salute to the foreigners. "Order!!!! Arms!!!!" The salute was cut and the troops faced inboard to the walk way.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Inside the Gubernatorial Palace

Governor Vorthal walked in a more relaxed manner with the dignitaries, not for him was the rehearsed greeting and ushering of the wider Imperium. He was a simple military man treating his diplomatic obligations with the straightforward manner he would with any other task.

"So please tell me Gentlemen, is Silvestria much like your home? Or is the climate different?" remembering the importance of small talk taught to him in the Schola

Royal Frankia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Royal Frankia » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:45 am

The Frankians nodded and thanked the Protractisian for his hospitality, even in an apparent frontier district.

The Frankian Secretary shook his head.

Our home are mostly mountainous, with fertile valleys in the lower plains.. However, if there is space for the legs to wander and the mind to think then it is very much like the worlds we prefer to inhabit. We cannot damn the Mater's creations to urban blight.. The hum and buzz of the cosmopolitan abyss.

The Prince nodded, before interjecting.

Our history has seen such... centers of urban disorder bleeding their resources dry and requiring a much greater loss of the rights of subjects everywhere. Home to corrupt officials at best, demagogues at worst. Lands that can never know a moment's peace, lands that can never know that which is utmost and true.

Secretary Jevik smiled.

Of course, my honored host, my Prince speaks too much of great powers that once were..

And powers that still are... It is the will to survive through hardship, if anything... To endure even as others fall by the wayside.

The Frankians within the retinue observed the Gubernatorial Palace, noting the architectural styling. Some talk amongst the servants was on the manner of the guards, and the likelihood of such a citadel of civilization coming under assault from enemies of the God-Emperor afar. Even in an age of peace, where the great battles in the Void were at an end, there were still threats from the occasional nomadic fleet or upstart Sith Realm.

From what I have observed that the Imperium has come to the same conclusion... The need to keep one's sword sharp, in case of peace.

The Secretary tried to steer the conversation away from the talk of swords and philosophy, for both of such were what his folk were noted for.

I take it you must have a number of good cooks, no? My entourage is interested in sampling Protractisian cuisine.
What must rise, must fall. What must live, must die. What must be, must cease. Only the One shall remain.

Sub Sector Protractis
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sub Sector Protractis » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:34 am

Governor Vorthal spoke, "There is not much in the way of Protractian delicacies here but my house staff are very good cooks. There is some local wildlife that is known for its rich flavor that is being prepared currently. I also have instructed the dining staff to open a bottle of wine grown from the Vineyards of Axios from the Bastion. A case from the Lord-Regent himself was given to me upon my appointment to systems Governor and I think today's events would be ideal to try a bottle.

As for our preparedness the Sub-Sector is embroiled in Pacification efforts and low intensity operations constantly. We take the old adage, It is better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. We are at this point however, at a relative level of peace.

The door to the dinning hall opened and the guests were shown to their seats, dark oaken wood matching the glossed finish of the table with a blue Velvet upholstery. Vorthal allowed a retainer to remove his powered gauntlets own retaining his side arm that served as his Badge of Office as Marshal Militant. "If you would be so kind to remove any non-ceremonial weapons of badges of office for the duration of the meal. I myself am a man of arms, but I too enjoy laying down the burden as it were. Your Guards however may stay armed or retire to a common area if you feel comfortable with that."

Vorthal placed the white silk napkin on his lap and motioned to the waitstaff to begin, pillars of ice water from local springs were brought out as was various breads and oils. While the waitstaff moved down to assess the needs or concerns of the delegation the head Butler opened the bottle of wine and poured it into a chilled Decanter.

"Gentlemen we have a planet similar to how you have described your home, Jainenguard, within our sway. Very robust culture strong people, very capable soldiers are produced there. In fact, we have a small company of them here as scouts and foragers, they are the ones who hunted tonight's meal." Vorthal finished before taking a piece of bread and dabbing it in the oil on his plate.

Royal Frankia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Royal Frankia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:49 am

The Secretary smiled.

Choice game is most savory, Governor, as is the presence of a certain degree of Pax the Divine have bestowed upon your Realm.

The Prince nodded.

A true saying, especially in times that are uncertain.

The love for wine amongst the Frankians was legendary, as well as that of choice spirits. The Prince motioned to his guards to take up choice positions as the two Frankian officials laid down the mantle of arms in the presence of their host. At the mention of wine, the Prince remembered a basket that one of his attendants was carrying. Bottles of choice liquors, aromatic oils, and a few copies of the avantgarde Frankian literature of the day had been selected as choice gifts..

There was also a drive detailing Frankian history, religion, culture, foreign affairs, and her dynastic history. Of some note might be Frankia's current position in the Cosmos, her rivalries with the Great Powers, and their Great Wars that had shaken the very fabric of the Cosmos. Names such as Yamsai, Kressnia, Septimania, Neustria, and Legacy were recorded without bias, so that the names of these great clashes would never die.

The Prince and Secretary took their seats, breaking bread with the Proctrasian. Usually, a thick yogurt was served alongside bread and wine in Frankian custom. Still, the Prince delighted at an oil that reminded him of that of the olive.

I say.. Those at court might desire such oil..

Jainenguard... We might very well construct a consulate there, if the God-Emperor permits... I take it the systems under the scepter of your God-Emperor are quite diverse, are they not?

Sub Sector Protractis
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sub Sector Protractis » Fri Oct 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Vorthal received that basket and thanked the attendant who carried it too him with a nod, "A gesture well received, and seeing that you enjoy this oil I will ensure that a compliment of it is prepared for you to take with you prior to your departure."

Vorthal handed them to a retainer after inspecting the items with genuine interest. "As for Jainenguard, that domain is under the control of High-King Abolt banner pledged to our Lord of War, Jonnako Tsagos. Any diplomatic missions or visits to Lord Tsagos' Fiefdoms must be petitioned to him, I will say that he is a fair and open man. I have had the pleasure to serve under his command during the pacification of the Bellgard insurrection. I even witnessed him take to the field on occasion to lead his house troops personally."

The main course began to arrive, plated decoratively and still steaming.

"Ahhh yes, the food is here, I will have the staff prepare another bottle of wine. I also would like to take this time to inform you that a formal Imperial delegation is still two days. Although I have the voice of command in this system and have diplomatic authority within it, a formal delegate has the ability to speak with the voice of the body Imperium. I hope that you do not take this as a slight, I have been advised to extend the delegations deepest apologies for this inconvenience."

Royal Frankia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Royal Frankia » Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:33 pm

Ah, there is less red tape within our Realm when it comes to our recently incorporated territories.. We rarely bother with assimilating conquered foes if we desire their territory, preferring to resettle them on our periphery to act as a buffer. Separate folk, separate laws, or so our Assembly would have it.

Artorious nodded, though he knew that the metic legions of old had fought and die in serve of the Throne. Frankian worlds were defended by those of the governing species, with those that even had a drop of Frankian blood largely excluded from the common mess.

Do not worry Governor, we are not a folk to take offense..

The Frankians dined, noting the cuisine and savoring each drop of the wine.

The Prince wiped his mouth.

This Bellgard insurrection... What was the precise nature of it?

Sub Sector Protractis
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sub Sector Protractis » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:10 pm

"The bureaucracy runs far and wide, much to the disdain of many, it is however a necessary evil when attempting to administer to the masses we control as well as the range of planets under our sway. I can only describe it as centrally de-centralized in nature. *Turning to the Prince* The insurrection was due to a request for local governance being granted and then the locally elected population began to strike and protest when their elected planetary governor was not able to have the persons tithe granted a forbearance. Bellgard was the name of the revolutionary governor that organized the strike on the planet Geripedus, he claimed that it was unfair to resettle the excess members of the female population. A 35% imbalance occurred due to three emergency manpower tithes that robbed a large core of the systems present male generation. This implosion of the population was unacceptable as the realm needs children who go on to become workers and soldiers. Bellgard wished for the injured and maimed men of the planet to be relocated back to the planet from the conflict zone stabilizing the imbalance.

It was not for Bellgard to determine how the God-Emperor's ships or subjects were to be used, further a crippled population would only strain the depleted workforce further. Bellgard was allowed to treat with the Imperial authorities and the Planetary Governor and was explained that the excess population would be settled on a frontier world that was recently settled by a military expedition who earned the right of settlement for their glory and dedication to the God-Emperor. Once relocated they would live their lives as Imperial subjects normally and would settle in time into this new world. Bellgard indicated that the women of what he claimed was 'his' planet should not be relocated out of necessity alone. He then advised that he would be placed under arrest and he proceeded to detonate a melta-bomb assassinating the Governor and the Imperial delegation. A significant portion of the planet was plunged into anarchy and a armed civil unrest ensued, the Lord of War ordered the troops from Gedipedus removed from the front and relocated to pacify their planet under threat of virus bomb. The troops performed well and crushed the rebellion, and then enforced the tithe to settle the frontier world as planned. "

Vorthal finished

"I hope that you like re-caff gentlemen. I have the finest re-caff being ground and brewed and would like to take you to the star deck while we enjoy the beverage. It is served hot if that is alright with you both?"

Royal Frankia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Royal Frankia » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:48 am

The Secretary signaled for a refill.

Yes, though bureaucracy is a sign of civilization. Our form of government, based on the need to maintain both Throne and Realm by force of arms above all else, has led to our Magister Navigum assuming authorities previously held by our monarch... Including, upon consultation with the Magistrum, the ability to say declare war.

Perhaps what my friend is trying to say is that the bureaucracy within the Realm is efficient, and acts as a counter-part to those parties that desire militarism too a greater degree than is necessary. More guns over butter doesn't guarantee that those wielding the guns have had time to be both trained and to be blooded in action...

As the Prince cut his meat he took into account the actions against the Bellgard undertaken by the God-Emperor's forces.

I see.. Such a matter is necessary in conflict, though we prefer volunteers to levies as the former are more likely to distinguish themselves in battle. Still, the notion of the need to move one's population at a moment's notice should not be questioned, particularly when one is in a state of war. Our Magistrum and Bureaucracy, normally at odds, cooperated with another for the greatest movement of persons and equipment in our history.. What needs to be done to preserve one's power, one's folk, and one's throne must not be questioned by those bereft of just authority...

The Secretary approved.

It was this Bellgard who unsheathed the sword and slaughtered the innocents in a most cowardly manner. It would have been better had he taken the field against the Imperial forces than die as a suicide bomber.

Jevik did not delve into recent Frankian history, where the monarch had to intervene against monopolistic Guilds whose ruthlessness towards the Sovereignness' subjects matched that of the enemy. Not desiring to shed blood, she had had the majority exiled beyond the Realm's frontiers or confined in the great monasteries of the Faith. In a time of war, her authority upon the loss of her father had to be cemented with maintaining the oath made to her subjects.

Artorious stuck a bit of flesh with a fork, noting its texture and gristle.

Aye, Secretary... If Bellgard were not a governor he could have made a member of the ancestors' general staff. Granted, they had not been enlightened by the Mater Most High that the destruction of the stars is a terrible blasphemy against the gods...

Governor, does your God-Emperor possess what is commonly referred to as a Divine Right to rule? That has been most applicable in the Realms we have seen, that and good governance.

Artorious nodded.

Listening to wise council is also necessary.. A Nestor's words are greater than any treasure within this Cosmos, if I recall my Homer.

Sub Sector Protractis
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sub Sector Protractis » Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:52 pm

"The God-Emperor, despite his corporeal form no longer existing does in fact rule our stars through the hands of His servants and we maintain that rule through he blessings and divine grace as is right and proper.

As for conscription, it is a utilized method when needed or if a campaign is suspected to inflict a large number of casualties by its very nature. Take a siege for example, if the Imperial Strategos determine that despite the best efforts of our siege units losses will exceed predetermined parameters an emergency tithe will be enacted to form Light line divisions. These Divisions will be fed to the grinder with the best support that can be provided but they are expected to suffer heavy losses. This ensures that the remaining troops are combat experienced and can be folded into proper divisons as hardened replacements, this allows our specialist units to remain competent and experienced without losing a trained Corps of veterans needlessly taking outer defenses. Then only the most able and experienced lives will be spent on key objectives with the replacements being selected from the Light Line Division by members of the Siege units themselves." replied Vorthal observed the Secretary's glass to be refilled

"So tell me Gentlemen who acts as the balance for the competing needs of militarism and growth at a more local level. Does it fall to the hands of nobility or is there a 'Third Pillar' as it were that acts an the arbitrator when it is a matter of local attention?"

Royal Frankia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Royal Frankia » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:46 pm

The Prince nodded.

Regional guilds within our Realm act as a counterweight to militarism to the point of ruination, through the ability to bring matters to the direct attention of our monarch.. My cousin.

Guilds within our society possess the right to a representative within our Assembly, though said representatives are selected from lot by the guild to prevent corruption.

If such a matter of abuse is brought before the Assembly and dispatched to the Monarch there will be consequences.. Our monarch possesses significant influence, and his or her disfavor can bring down popular opinion against the Magistrum.

Abuse of the laborer is not tolerated, for is by his or her work that our civilization is built.

There is also the local bureaucracy, which is appointed by the Crown itself. Our Governors are separated from our Magistrum, with the latter given power over military matters and affairs outside the realm of civilian life. At the local level, say when a Dux desires to raise up a retinue from the folk by force, the Governor is capable of stopping the conscription by declaring that the conscripted are subjects of the Crown. It is the Governor's duty to oversee the completion of the plans, the sanctity of the temples, the productivity of the fields, and the continued sustainability of the ecosystem.

Our Governors also possess councils, comprised of the representatives from the various orders.

Priests, guild representatives, academics, directors, and so on..

Said councils assist them in their duties, and help draft reports back to the Economic Planning Bureau.

As far as the Magistrum is concerned, our High Command, growth at any level must be taken into account for the needs of the Fleet. The defense of the fields we possess and the communes we reside depends upon the outcome of conflict in the Void... This has necessitated our preference for orbital manufacturing facilities that can be relocated in the event of a major conflict...

Jevik nodded.

It could be said that the Economic Planning Bureau, appointed by the Crown, possesses as much power as the Magistrum for their decisions are harder for the Assembly to overrule.

An ascendancy of technocrats, but a Realm such as ours cannot function without planning of this sort. The allocation of resources, the settlement of excess subjects, the development of new territories, and so on and so forth.

The Economic Planning Bureau and the Magistrum are in agreement that war is the lifeblood of our folk.. Both regard conflict as vital for the health of our folk to be tied to battle, even if said battles should be lost they enable a strengthening of sorts of our folk.

Tell me, Governor, what is the thought of the God-Emperor's domain on the subject of economic planning and the position of labor?

Sub Sector Protractis
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Sub Sector Protractis » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:13 am

"Interesting indeed, it is important for the workforce to be exercised in a sustainable fashion otherwise the tree is hallowed out from the inside so to speak. Within the Sub-Sector there exist two sets of worlds. Bound worlds and collected worlds so to speak..... A Bound world is one that is pledged to a member of Imperial nobility as their personal demesne. These powered are governed by the holding house or Lord and their administration is far and wide autonomous serving only the goals of the local nobility and the greater defense of the Sub-Sector.

Barring of course Heretical or seditious activities. Other Bound worlds include Forgeworlds, answerable to the Adeptus Mechanicus; Shrine Worlds answerable to the Ecclesiarchy; Fortress-worlds or War Worlds answerable to the Imperial Army. Collected Worlds however, are the remaining body Imperium who are divided into various sectors, Sub-sectors, systems, and finally worlds. These Worlds are subject to the Departmento Munitorum and Adeptus Administratum in their economic planning and settlements. The catch is, many of the High ranking Imperial Nobles also fill the role of Imperial Governor.

For Example Lord of War Tsagos acts as the overall military commander, the Segmentum Governor, the Protractis Sector Governor, the Sub-Sector Protractis Governor as it is the sector capital, Governor of the Lakonia System, Planetary Governor of Glennus. In addition to these responsibilities Lord Tsagos is also head of house Tsagos and all of the planets in its sway pledged to him by his Bannered allies such as the earlier mentioned Jainenguard.

Understand however their is a fair amount of Autonomous rule in this system so as long as things are going to plan only the most important or dire issues are brought to Lord Tsagos who also leans upon his siblings to assist in this matter.

For example His brother Duke Evon is the Steward of the House and handles the matters that arise in the Demesne; Dame Kathrine oversees the welfare systems, public relations, and orphanages. His wife , Lady Victoria often acts as ambassador to other Imperial entities. Not to mention a staff that consists of thousands that serve to help administer his duties."

Royal Frankia
Diplomat

Father Knows Best State

Postby Royal Frankia » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:37 pm

The Prince nodded.

A good deal of kin reside in the Ministry, for sure, though we do not have the aid of a true hereditary nobility. Our nobility is based on merit and appointment by the Crown.. If a noble's liege should perish there is a chance that his or her noble title will come under review by the Registry.

Jevik nodded.

There is also that which must be done, be it in battle, ministry, or the management of one's vessel in time of war. Before our Great Wars thinned the old nobility there was greater difficulty in implementing changes at their expense.

Even with the authority of the Crown, a conservatism of a sort exists among them that rejects innovation.

Enough blood was shed to bring in new, younger faces.. More open minded to replacing the old with the new.

As for our Ministries, lesser orders are more likely to be found that are allowed the chance at nobility based on their service. A paper pusher could theoretically attain the rank of Dux and see his daughter marry his very Sovereign.

The Sovereign possesses certain estates and libraries, but he does not possess entire worlds. A marriage to him or her begets certain advantages as well as disadvantages.

However, all is held by his scepter, though it is ministered by his agents and subjects.

Artorious broke off a piece of bread and spread oil on it.

Fortress worlds are needed when one has enemies.. What enemies do you possess? Ours range from the Great Powers in NS-1 to the nomads on our own frontier... Our Dux guard our borders, with the Prasental Fleet in wait should one of our bulwarks be overcome.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents