NATION

PASSWORD

Plight of the Abortionists (MT only, closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 02, 2020
Ex-Nation

Plight of the Abortionists (MT only, closed)

Postby Kyundao » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:52 pm

Rules:

1. No warfare
2. No espionage
3. Modern tech only

Story:

In the wake of the passing of GA resolution #499, several dozen young women were sentenced by the Kyundaoan justice system to 50 years in prison without parole for having an abortion. One week later, 100 abortionists and 6 parents, all of whom hail from WA member states who voted for the resolution, were arrested on the following charges:

1. Over 100 counts of murder for the abortionists

2. 6 counts of conspiracy to commit murder for the parents

3. 6 counts of aiding and abetting murder for the parents

The defendants remain in solitary confinement due to their numbers being too much for the court to hold. No verdict has been reached so far, but all 106 are facing the death penalty if convicted. As a member of the WA, you are obligated to save these people from a court-ordered public execution. Your conduct will determine their fate, so act wisely.
Last edited by Kyundao on Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:27 am

OFFICIAL STATEMENT OF THE KENMORIAN WORLD ASSEMBLY MISSION

This is a formal condemnation of the recent actions taken by the government of the Capitalistic Republic of Kyunda, henceforth Kyundao, by the Kenmorian Diplomatic Mission to the World Assembly, henceforth the Kenmoria WA Mission. It demonstrates an official promulgation of this nation’s intent and beliefs, as well as the personal views of the signatory, and has been publicly released in accordance with international law.

More precisely, the Kenmoria WA Mission wishes to make known to the international community, here consisting of both all member states and all interest non-member states, its strong disapproval and anger towards the illegal and amoral actions conducted by Kyundao. These actions include: the breaching of GA #499, Access to Abortion; the breaching of GA #286, Reproductive Freedoms; the breaching of GA #141, On Abortion; the breaching of GA #002, Rights and Duties of WA Member States; the breaching of numerous international agreements around the fair process of the justice system; the arrest and subsequent detainment of abortion patients and abortion-related healthcare providers; the apparent plan to execute those accused; and any possible other actions not currently discovered which may break other pieces of international legislation.

These actions are not only violations of international law and therefore a direct mark of disrespect not just to the World Assembly, but also to all member states, but also deeply immoral actions that convey a severe lack of regard for bodily sovereignty. Although Kyundao does have a limited freedom to act as it pleases, such flagrant disregards for international legislation and common morality go far beyond what may reasonably be permitted by the world at large. The Kenmoria WA Mission condemns these actions for being reckless, irresponsible and dangerous.

Furthermore, there are serious questions to be raised about the integrity of this trial, even notwithstanding the illegitimacy of its premise. The timing of this event makes the accused’s arrests seem politically-motivated and retributive, thus casting doubt about he independence of the judiciary upon this arrest. In addition, the sentences given are wildly disproportionate even allowing for the possibility of a fair trial and presuming that three pieces of World Assembly do not exist. This demonstrates that Kyundao seems to have little respect for the norms of international justice nor for fairness in the criminal system as a whole, in contraposition to its obligations as a a member of the international community. The Kenmoria WA Mission condemns this lack of concern.

Lastly, the idea of public execution is simply abhorrent and cruel, not to mention in violation of the GA legislation Preventing the Execution of Innocents. This is simply an additional mark of shame on what appears to be a growing body of reasons to not trust Kyundao with its obligations as a member of this international community. It is with this in mind that the Kenmoria WA Mission calls on all other relevant parties to also condemn this pariah state for its flagrant disregard for both the letter and spirit of the law. This injustice shall not be allowed to stand.

Hereby signed by:
The permanent ambassador of the Kenmoria WA Mission to the General Assembly, Sir James Lewitt, on behalf of his colleagues and others.

The promulgation was publicly sent out on all available channels. Meanwhile, waiting in an office in the uniquely-positioned World Assembly Headquarters, ambassador Lewitt began to twirl a pen around his fingers. This was the second condemnation he’d had to draft following the passage of 499, and he was not looking forward to the inevitable angrily-worded response. He had several other missives prepared, sorted by order of how harshly-worded they were, which he was planning to send out as Kyundao got closer to a potential execution. This wasn’t actually his job, but it fell under his domain as chief ambassador, about which he was most annoyed.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:16 am

Kenmoria wrote:The promulgation was publicly sent out on all available channels. Meanwhile, waiting in an office in the uniquely-positioned World Assembly Headquarters, ambassador Lewitt began to twirl a pen around his fingers. This was the second condemnation he’d had to draft following the passage of 499, and he was not looking forward to the inevitable angrily-worded response. He had several other missives prepared, sorted by order of how harshly-worded they were, which he was planning to send out as Kyundao got closer to a potential execution. This wasn’t actually his job, but it fell under his domain as chief ambassador, about which he was most annoyed.

Letter to the Kenmorian government from the Capitalist Party of Kyundao:

As much as we understand your concerns, we are former members of the World Assembly and as non-members, legislation from the World Assembly does not affect us nor can it affect us. Furthermore, we are a nation of laws and the rule of law must be upheld; it must be applied in the most impartial manner. In this case, the abortionists committed murder as unborn children are still living persons and innocent ones at that. Conspiracy to commit murder as well as aiding and abetting murder are both serious offenses as you certainly know and the parents in question did exactly that because of the reasons mentioned above.

We're sorry, but unless you have a reasonable alternative, we will have a public execution carried out should a guilty verdict be reached.
Last edited by Kyundao on Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Mon Jul 20, 2020 6:52 am

Kyundao wrote:
Kenmoria wrote:The promulgation was publicly sent out on all available channels. Meanwhile, waiting in an office in the uniquely-positioned World Assembly Headquarters, ambassador Lewitt began to twirl a pen around his fingers. This was the second condemnation he’d had to draft following the passage of 499, and he was not looking forward to the inevitable angrily-worded response. He had several other missives prepared, sorted by order of how harshly-worded they were, which he was planning to send out as Kyundao got closer to a potential execution. This wasn’t actually his job, but it fell under his domain as chief ambassador, about which he was most annoyed.

Letter to the Kenmorian government from the Capitalist Party of Kyundao:

As much as we understand your concerns, we are former members of the World Assembly and as non-members, legislation from the World Assembly does not affect us nor can it affect us. Furthermore, we are a nation of laws and the rule of law must be upheld; it must be applied in the most impartial manner. In this case, the abortionists committed murder as unborn children are still living persons and innocent ones at that. Conspiracy to commit murder as well as aiding and abetting murder are both serious offenses as you certainly know and the parents in question did exactly that because of the reasons mentioned above.

We're sorry, but unless you have a reasonable alternative, we will have a public execution carried out should a guilty verdict be reached.

To: The Capitalist Republic of Kyundao
Subject: Re: Letter
Encryption: Low
Dear whomever this concerns within the Capitalist Republic of Kyundao,

I firstly would like to apologise for the incorrect labelling of your offences as including violations of World Assembly legislation. Since you are not a member, it cannot affect you. Be sure that a correction shall shortly be issued. However, this does not solve the crux of the issue, which is the immorality of execution as a penalty for abortion. If you are a nation of law, then you will surely be familar with the concept of the wrongness of penalties ex post facto. For elucidation purposes, a nation cannot criminally punish someone for an action committed while that action was legal. Unless your entire criminal arresting and sentencing procedure lasted for a matter of days, which would be wrong for different reasons, these ‘crimes’ must have been committed when Kyundao was a member if the World Assembly, when abortions were legal per GA #141 and GA #286. Therefore, these people cannot be punished for this.

Even leaving aside the question of legality, I find that the entire basis for these penalties is flawed. As I am sure you are aware, people have the fundamental right to enact control of their bodies, a concept often referred to as bodily sovereignty. It is from this principle that all other rights are derived. Thus, a penalty for an abortion is inherently baseless, since abortion is a procedure that exists in order to allow an individual to exercise control over their body. This is a noted exception to the crime of murder, which cannot apply to a foetus irregardless. Murder is defined as the illegal killing of a person. The idea of counting unborn humans as persons runs into problems since making foeti people would necessitate people’s ages being counted from conception, miscarriages being recorded in death certificates, and a whole host of other ludicrous situations.

Therefore, I do offer you an alternative. The alternative that I offer is to release the accused from custody and immediately cancel any executions. Reparations and statements of apology are encouraged, but I recognise that these might be challenging to enact in the political climate.

Signed,
Sir James Lewitt
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:54 pm

After the jurors received word from the Kenmorian government's latest response, one of them began sorting through the various laws that were passed by the Capitalist Party following the Kyundaoan Civil War. It didn't take long for him to find an old law that outlawed abortion. Later, he presented his findings to the other jurors.

Mr. Kane: A law that outlawed abortion entirely was passed in the Senate around 80 years ago, long before Kyundao joined the World Assembly. It was proposed by a Senator named Marcel Yeun and according to many sources, the man himself was an abortion survivor.

Mr. Yi: Has the Senate repealed it yet?

Mr. Kane: As far as I'm aware, the law is still in effect.

Mr. Yi: They still broke the law then.

Mr. Yarkoni: Let's look at the evidence we have on the table before we jump to conclusions.

The jurors looked through the evidence and concluded that all of the defendants were guilty.

Mr. Yi: I'm heavily leaning towards the death penalty on this one.

Mr. Kane: We tell the judge, then let him decide what to do from here.

All of the jurors agreed since the lives of people from World Assembly member states were on the line. After being told of the jury's recommendations, the judge writes a letter to the Kyundaoan government, who then send the letter to the Kenmorian government as it was addressed to them.

Letter to the Kenmorian government from Judge Smith:

The law that outlawed abortion in Kyundao was passed long before we were members of the World Assembly, even though our time there was short. The law in question is still in effect so we will not be releasing them, nor will we pay reparations.
Last edited by Kyundao on Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zhi
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 18, 2020
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:05 pm

OOC: Just observing, but what WA citizen would cross a staunchly anti-abortion (if the jury is representative enough of the popular opinion) nation to conduct an operation they must be allowed to have access to in the homeland?

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:17 pm

Zhi wrote:OOC: Just observing, but what WA citizen would cross a staunchly anti-abortion (if the jury is representative enough of the popular opinion) nation to conduct an operation they must be allowed to have access to in the homeland?

OOC: They arrived when we were still part of the World Assembly. They were also completely unaware of laws that were still in effect.

MC United
Envoy

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby MC United » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:46 pm

July 20: The government of MC United released the following statement:

"The government of MC United supports Kyundao in the proactive application of its laws pertaining to abortion, now that Kyundao has left the World Assembly. Aliens present in Kyundao would be well advised to evacuate, and ideally to return to their nations of origin, rather than violate Kyundao's laws."
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly." -- Michel de Montaigne

"A woman is only a woman, but a good Cigar is a Smoke." -- Kipling

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." -- Ecclesiastes 10:2.

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:37 pm

Broadcast from the National Kyundaoan News Network:

An armed man was shot and killed by local police and armed citizens just outside the Kyundao City Regional Court after fatally shooting a police officer who stopped him for questioning. The killer was identified as Connie Jackson, a citizen of Farnhamia. As for his motive, authorities and witnesses believe he intended to kill the judge in reprisal. Because of this, as well as the possibility of future attempts to delay the trial via terrorism, the Kyundaoan government has ordered all travel between Kyundao and Farnhamia suspended for the time being. All Kyundaoan expats in Farnhamia have also been ordered to return home effective immediately. Farnhamian citizens within Kyundao have been ordered to leave the country as well.

Broadcast from the Revolutionary Capitalist Herald:

An armed globalist who was on his way to the Kyundao City Regional Court was shot and killed by law enforcement and local citizens in self-defense after he had murdered a police officer at point-blank range with a small-caliber pistol. The globalist in question, Connie Jackson, is widely believed to have intended to commit murder inside the building in protest of the trial. He was also revealed to be a citizen of Farnhamia. As of this news report, the Kyundaoan government has in response suspended all travel between Kyundao and Farnhamia, with Kyundaoan expats ordered to return home and Farnhamian citizens within Kyundao ordered expelled from this country.
Last edited by Kyundao on Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:32 am

I must vehemently disagree with your analysis of relevant law. As I am sure you are aware, General Assembly legislation supersedes national law, which was the case during the time in which these supposed infractions are alleged to have happened. Therefore, when these women procured abortions, it was legal by international law, which overruled any contradictory Kyundaon legislation. Thus, they had the expectation of legality and, more importantly, were committing entirely legal actions. Any penalty applied to them would be based on a law that was not in effect, insofar as any mandates violating GA #141, GA #286 or GA #499 could not be activated, and any such penalty would therefore be illegitimate.

Signed,
Sir James Lewitt
My pronouns are he/him.

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:24 am

Kenmoria wrote:

I must vehemently disagree with your analysis of relevant law. As I am sure you are aware, General Assembly legislation supersedes national law, which was the case during the time in which these supposed infractions are alleged to have happened. Therefore, when these women procured abortions, it was legal by international law, which overruled any contradictory Kyundaon legislation. Thus, they had the expectation of legality and, more importantly, were committing entirely legal actions. Any penalty applied to them would be based on a law that was not in effect, insofar as any mandates violating GA #141, GA #286 or GA #499 could not be activated, and any such penalty would therefore be illegitimate.

Signed,
Sir James Lewitt

Letter of response to the Kenmorian government from the Capitalist Party of Kyundao:

Although General Assembly resolutions such as Resolution #499 supersede existing laws in member states, we left the World Assembly prior to the drafting of the aforementioned resolution. Because of this, Resolution #499 never applied to Kyundao. With this fact and your alternative in consideration, the punishment decided by the judge will be carried out.

The World Assembly cannot force its laws, especially Resolution #499, onto nations that left before the drafting process of said laws. We've made our stance on the topic of abortion very clear and we will not go back on that.

The day after the Capitalist Party's public announcement was made, the trial finally continued. The 106 defendants couldn't make an appearance because there were simply too many of them for one spot. The judge went through the evidence, as did the court officials and the jury. Because the jury unanimously reached a guilty verdict after examining the evidence early on, the judge was told about the verdict and gave out the sentence accordingly.

Judge Smith: Existing albeit forgotten law agrees that abortion is murder as unborn children are still living beings. The fact that they are living beings is reason enough to invalidate the argument of bodily autonomy. By the logic of bodily autonomy in general, abortion inherently violates the bodily autonomy of unborn children. With all things considered, the 106 defendants are hereby sentenced to death by public hanging.
Last edited by Kyundao on Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:34 am

I refer you to GA #286, Reproductive Freedoms, which also legalises elective abortion in all member states. As far as I am aware, Kyundao was a member of the Assembly at this point. If not, then GA #141, On Abortion, also legalises most abortions, and Kyundao was definetly a member at that point. Therefore, my previous argument still applies.

Signed,
Sir James Lewitt
Last edited by Kenmoria on Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:00 am

The 106 prisoners - 100 abortionists and 6 parents - were led out of solitary confinement in straight jackets. One by one, they were loaded onto prison buses and driven to where the executions were scheduled to be carried out: Tae-joon Square, the site of a government-sanctioned massacre that killed hundreds of neo-Nazi demonstrators during the Yeshayahu administration. 11 crane-like trucks, each lifting steel bars that held 10 nooses each, lined the square. The 106 were unloaded and dragged towards the trucks, angry Koreans wishing death upon them as they were led to the nooses.

Kyundaoan soldiers tied each noose around the 106 and stepped back. The order was given and the crane-like trucks began the lifting. The 106 condemned were lifted high above the ground, at least 50 feet high. Within moments, they were suffocated. Upon seeing this, the crowd began to disperse, pleased to see that justice was carried out. The soldiers who were operating the truck stayed and some of the other soldiers also stayed as the bodies had to be disposed of eventually.

By nightfall, the bodies were taken down and the soldiers placed them into body bags. A cousin of one of the executed parents had returned to see his cousin one last time. Traumatized by the execution he witnessed earlier, he turns around and leaves, holding back tears of grief and sadness as he made his way home.
Last edited by Kyundao on Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:16 am

“Well that’s just glorious.” Ambassador Lewitt sighed as he received news of the recent executions by Kyundao. The use of capital punishment was, of course, profoundly illegal. No doubt the states from which the patients and doctors care would be up in arms about the blatant disregard for international law. There might even be a war, he thought, centred around this act of aggression. Between this and MC United, his job had just become a lot more difficult. Now he had to draft up another condemnation of recent events, send it off to all major world leaders, and call for international sanctions against Kyundao. Kenmoria would be easy to arrange - the government was usually very pliant to his demands, but other countries might be more challenging to arrange.

OFFICIAL STATEMENT OF THE KENMORIAN WORLD ASSEMBLY MISSION

The Kenmorian Diplomatic Mission to the World Assembly hereby condemns the Capitalist Republic of Kyundao, for the illegal execution of 106 foreign nationals. This penalty was illegal, since General Assembly Resolution #286, Reproductive Freedoms, was in effect in Kyundao when the abortions occurred, and were therefore legal by force of international law when they happened. As such, the execution can only be viewed as an act of aggression by the Capitalist Republic of Kyundao against these nations. For this hostile action, the Government of Kenmoria will refuse to produce any visas for Kyundaon citizens wishing to visit this country. The Kenmorian Diplomatic Mission to the World Assembly calls on all nations to enact similar sanctions.

Hereby signed by:
The permanent ambassador of the Kenmoria WA Mission to the General Assembly, Sir James Lewitt, on behalf of his colleagues and others.
Last edited by Kenmoria on Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:59 pm

It didn't take long for Kyundao's ruling Capitalist Party to hear about Kenmoria's reaction to the executions. And they didn't have nice thing to say on the matter. Cameras and patriots stood in front of a podium. The General Secretary, the most powerful man in Kyundao after the Chairman, makes an appearance and steps onto the podium

General Secretary: We've heard about Kenmoria's reaction. They're not even members of the World Assembly and yet they're calling on ALL World Assembly member states to take action against us. The last time we checked, World Assembly member states cannot do anything against non-members and former members like us. Despite this, Kenmoria still believes the World Assembly can take action even though they absolutely cannot. We have only this to say to Kenmoria: who the hell do you think you are?! They need to get off of their high horse, respect our sovereignty and stay out of our affairs completely! No one owns us as a nation and we intend to keep it that way.

Kyundaoan nationalists clapped and cheered. Having finished his quick speech, the General Secretary leaves.
Last edited by Kyundao on Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Astrobolt
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 30, 2019
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Astrobolt » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:09 pm

OOC: This thread is kind of ridiculous to be honest. Kyundao you were not providing proper responses to Kenmoria's concerns (such as a possible violation of GA Resolution #286 and the problems arising from counting unborn children as persons). The fact that you failed to address these concerns and killed 106 people so quickly seems to me that you had no interest in a well-functioning RP.
Delegate of the 10000 Islands
Ambassador to the WA: Mr. Reede Tappe

TITO Tactical Officer

For a detailed list of positions, and other things of note, click here.

Polish Prussian Commonwealth
Senator

Founded: Oct 30, 2018
Democratic Socialists

Postby Polish Prussian Commonwealth » Tue Jul 21, 2020 4:14 pm

"based"

-Berengar, Crown Prince of Prussia and Poland, upon being asked about the actions of Kyundao.
"Furthermore, I submit that Carthage NSG must be destroyed." t. Marcus Porcius Cato

IC name is "Blauveldt-Ryszana".

A traumatized, but recovering, MT-Early PMT/FanT constitutional monarchy consisting of a personal and constitutional union of two Realms. Features: near-universal gun ownership, governmental dysfunction, terrified Christinaslander Air National Guard personnel counting down the days until they rotate back home, and an eternal standoff with the last of it's former oppressors.

Kyundao
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Kyundao » Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:43 pm

Astrobolt wrote:OOC: This thread is kind of ridiculous to be honest. Kyundao you were not providing proper responses to Kenmoria's concerns (such as a possible violation of GA Resolution #286 and the problems arising from counting unborn children as persons). The fact that you failed to address these concerns and killed 106 people so quickly seems to me that you had no interest in a well-functioning RP.

OOC: I told him that I was open to alternatives and repeatedly told Kenmoria that GA resolutions do not apply to non-members, especially former members like me. Kenmoria knew this and continued trying to force the World Assembly's laws onto my nation, even demanding that I release the now executed 106. If anything, he had no interest in a well-functioning RP.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents