NATION

PASSWORD

The Splendid Little War

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

The Splendid Little War

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:26 pm

The Confederacy of Atlantian Dominions has had little interest in imperial expansion - it has remained content with a handful of islands and coaling stations, and most of its interactions with the outside world are through commerce and trade. But a situation has developed on the island of Kuba to the southeast that has seized the country's attention and imagination.

A rebellion against the foreign colonial power has made headlines. Journalists have published sensation stories of fighting and atrocities. The governing Democratic Party sees an opportunity to rally public support and open the island to Atlantian business interests. When a ship flying the Atlantian flag (which had been smuggling weapons to the rebels) is seized by the colonial government, the Confederacy has its opportunity and declares war.

That is the setup for The Splendid Little War, a Past Tech war RP. It is loosely based on the events of the IRL Spanish-American War, though it is not intended to be a simple rehash of that conflict. It will feature an eager if underprepared nation (me) launching an invasion of an island controlled by a colonial power who is also contending with an ongoing rebellion.

The RP will be Past Tech, specifically using the technology of the 1860s/1870s, so the American Civil War and the time immediate afterwards. I'm happy to provide more information for those who aren't sure what that means in terms of allowed weapons systems/technology.

What I am looking for is not a dogpile of nations sending their own expeditionary forces. Some contributions of troops is okay, but there must be a compelling reason for such a commitment. What I am definitely looking for is one player to RP as the island's colonial ruler, to oppose the invasion.

The role of the Foreign Imperial Power Occupying Kuba is OPEN.

More Information on Kuba
As I currently conceive it, the island of Kuba is occupied by a colonial power. The island is populated by a mixture of indigenous peoples, colonists, and mixed-race peoples. Spanish (or something close or equivalent) is the main language of the people, though it may not be the language of the colonial power. Its main exports are sugar cane and tobacco, as well as cattle. The island is ruled by a Marquess and organized along feudal lines. The rebellion is comprised of indigenous and native-born Kubans fighting for independence against the colonial power. I am open to working with the colonial power RPer to alter some details of this description.

In the map below, the black lines represent railroads connecting the major cities. Sandino is the capital city. The island is 520 miles long from northeast to southwest and 120 miles wide. The mountain ranges in the center of the island are 6,500 feet at their highest point.

To Join the RP
If you want to be the colonial power who will battle me for control of the island, fill this out:
Code: Select all
Nation Name:
RP Sample: (ideally a Past Tech RP)
Size of Colonial Garrison: (cannot be above 200,000 troops and 10 warships)
Additional Information: (any ideas you want to share)

If you want to join the RP but not as the colonial power occupying Kuba, fill this out:
Code: Select all
Nation Name:
RP Sample: (ideally a Past Tech RP)
What do you want to do:
Last edited by Atlantian Dominions on Fri Apr 24, 2020 8:32 am, edited 3 times in total.
The Confederation of Atlantian Dominions
My nation can be referred to as "the Atlantian Dominions" or "Atlantia"
Continuity currently undergoing major reconstruction - please stand by

Crimetopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

OOC: HI!

Postby Crimetopolis » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:18 pm

Would weapons like the Broomhandle c96 auto pistol, Maxim gun, Bolt action rifles, pump shotguns, double action revolvers, and Winchester 1892 and rifles be allowed?

Atlantian Dominions
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantian Dominions » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Crimetopolis wrote:Would weapons like the Broomhandle c96 auto pistol, Maxim gun, Bolt action rifles, pump shotguns, double action revolvers, and Winchester 1892 and rifles be allowed?

No, as I said this will be using weapons from the 1860s/1870s. That means muzzle-loading weapons are very common, single-shot breech-loaders are new inventions likely only in use by militaries and maybe not by all soldiers yet. Gatling-style guns are still big, bulky, and mounted on artillery carriages. Artillery is rifled but still largely muzzle-loading, with breechloading being an experimental technology. Ironclads are wooden-hulled with wrought iron plating.
Last edited by Atlantian Dominions on Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Confederation of Atlantian Dominions
My nation can be referred to as "the Atlantian Dominions" or "Atlantia"
Continuity currently undergoing major reconstruction - please stand by

Crimetopolis
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 10, 2016
Ex-Nation

OOC:

Postby Crimetopolis » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:37 am

Thank you but I really don't fit here. All the best!

Return to International Incidents