NATION

PASSWORD

Ascension of the Aurelians (Meillur Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Ascension of the Aurelians (Meillur Only)

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:17 pm

En route to Rakga, Nukasta

Princess Marié-Thérèse d’Aurelians looked over her talking points as the jet she was in arched over the planet, dancing along the line between the atmosphere and outer space. This flight pattern, whilst a bit dramatic, shorten the flight time from Derita, from where Marié-Thérèse was coming to Nukasta, were her destination and the first step towards her destiny lay. She was excited to visit the country for this mission. Nukasta was a god send. It was only a pity that it came as it did now, in the form of a civil war.

A civil war, it was Marié-Thérèse’s mission to put an into. At least that was the reason for her visit to the city of Rakga, the base of the Hyvärinen lead Supreme General Committee that control the northern half of Nukasta. She was part of an unofficial diplomatic mission from Derita in order to bring peace back to Nukasta before violence escalated further in the nation and the region. Originally it had been planned to be lead by Marié-Thérèse’s cousin, the Duke of Alençon, Alexandre. The once militaristic pretty boy had gone and had an epiphany or something. Over the last two years he’d swung in the complete opposite direction, becoming a pacifist and trying to become some sort of...ugh...politician.

Marié-Thérèse loved her dear cousin Alexandre, but she disliked his unpredictability. It made it hard for her to make plans. And she liked making plans. She like carefully crafting a sequence of events and carrying that crafted sequence out to its fruition. Alexandre on the other hand was a wild as the wind in a typhoon, flying by the seat of his pants where his heart at that moment lay. He was so pretentious, and horribly oblivious to that side of him in his quest for democracy and peace and blah, blah, blah.

Marié-Thérèse too cared about peace, stability and a better future, but she was a realist unlike her cousin. Alexandre was famous and beloved by the Deritain people, and Marié-Thérèse knew why. She had carefully watched polls. Alexandre consistently challenged or even surpassed their fathers and grandfather in popularity. And whilst Alexandre took gold, Marié-Thérèse held onto silver. But she was playing a long game. There were several things that Marié-Thérèse had that Alexandre didn’t. Ambition was one. Alexandre was listless, rudderless, his heart jumping in random direction, wanting general good but never truly deciding. Marié-Thérèsehad not just once found herself sweeping up the remains of his efforts. The Makonian Refugee Crisis came to mind.

But ambition was not what got her in this plan on this mission as its leader, about to stand in front of the world in a highly calculated risk for peace. It was the other tool that she had perfected and what had been totally lost on Alexandre. She had her grandfather’s ear. The King-Emperor certainly loved all his grandchildren. He didn’t however love them all equally. And Alexandre was deeply disadvantaged in that department. Dear old Grandpère despised Alexandre’s showy and decisive personality. His youth and arrogance and fundamentals brute force naivety simply rubbed Grandpère the wrong way. And the hint of suspicion he held towards Alexandre ever trying to revolt against him only made it worse. The setting sun never looked kindly on the rising one.

This Marié-Thérèse found her way into her grandfather’s heart, flattering, obeying him and basking in his greatness. Appealing to his gentlemanly and antiquated ideas she had humbled herself and won her grandfather to her cause, even if he didn’t know it. One might fear what Marié-Thérèse would do with the single most powerful individual in the galaxy wrapped around her finger. But Marié-Thérèse’s goals were simple. So she had whispered into Grandpère’s ear and won herself a mission. Dear Marié-Thérèse after all asked for so little. He could give her this.

And thus so many plans were set into motion. Marié-Thérèse’s true goals were closer than ever. And if peace was mad along the way, well that was a bonus.

Nukasta
Secretary

Founded: Jun 30, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:19 pm

Rakga International Airport, Rakga, Nukasta

Eevi Hyvärinen sat between her chief of staff, Annukka Harju and her Chief General, Henrikki Nurmi. They were in a bulletproof limousine flanked by two transports making their way to the Rakga International Airport, one of the three in Nukasta, the other two, regrettably being in the hands of the false president Niskanen.

Hyvärinen was hardly the woman you would expect to see leading the Supreme General Committee into war against an illegitimate government. A short woman in her late forties (she was 48) with a petit frame, long blond hair pulled into a utilitarian ponytail and dressed in an inoffensive navy pants suit, Hyvärinen was aware that she didn’t exactly scream insurgency leader. But she had been given no choice.

Niskanen was a president who had just barely made it into office and he had quickly lost what little mandate he’d manage to scrape by in his presidency. He had become an ultra-liberal puppet in the hands of foreign governments, caring more about kowtowing to big businesses in Aesia than about the lives of Nukastans. Niskanen was breaking down the every meaning of the phrase, and that was something that Hyvärinen could not let go and hope to be solved in the next election cycle. And when the leaders of the National Alliance Party refused to challenge Niskanen, it had only shown that the legal path could not be taken and it up to Hyvärinen to take matters into her own hand. And now here they were.

The motorcade pulled onto the grounds of the airport, turning directly onto the runway. They came to a stop and guards lined the way to where the jet of the Deritain Princess would land. Hyvärinen had been hesitant to meet with Princess Marié-Thérèse, as Derita was one of the nations that had had great invested interest in Niskanen and his administration, yet it had also been that very fact, that the princess had wished to come her that had convinced her to have this meeting.

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:20 pm

The cityscape of Rakga grew in Marié-Thérèse’s window as the jet curved downwards back towards the planet, towards northern Nukasta. It came down in a gentle swoop down into the airport runway. It was a slightly bumpy landing but it was quickly turned into a smooth taxing of the plan through the airport. It curved around the asphalt of the runway. It came to a smooth stop in the designated location for the princess meeting the leader of the Supreme General Committee.

Marié-Thérèse looked at herself one last time in her hand mirror. In the classic style that she had pioneered for herself, that imagine of the down to earth princess, the responsible eldest daughter of that middle class family that was just like everyone else she was sure to gain some favor. She wore a simply light soft pink blouse and matching trousers, white two-inch heels and a matching headscarf. She wore no jewelry and minimal makeup. She found the idea of impressing everyone was not necessary. This was not one of the occasions were such impressing was, for her, necessary.

Marié-Thérèse rose from her seat as the jet came to full stop and smiled. Stepping out of her private cabin she was greeted with her mission’s troupe of analysts, aides and security personnel that were there to make sure everything with on without a hitch. The princess gave them all a genuine smile. No great woman works alone, and thus she was so grateful for her team to be there to support her in her endeavors. And it always served as a good mark of a leader to be genuine and well connected with her supporters.

The doors of the jet opened and unfolded into a staircase that touched down onto the runway of the airport. Marié-Thérèse smiled as she made her way to the door. Stepping out onto the stairs she smiled and waved at the greeting party of the Supreme General Committee’s leader and her military guard. Marié-Thérèse watched them, her eyes scanning over the small woman that was leading the tearing apart of the nation that the princess was now stepping into. Yes, Marié-Thérèse deduced from the apparence of the woman, this Hyvärinen, would be someone that she could deal with.

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:20 pm

Hyvärinen held her head high as the princess of the Aurelians dynasty descended down into Nukasta. With a nod from Nurmi, Hyvärinen walked forward, meeting the Princess half once she was off of the staircase of the jet. She smiled politely, matching the Princess’s own charming one. Hyvärinen spoke in accented Deritain.

“Your Highness, welcome to Nukasta.”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Princess Marié-Thérèse offered her hand to the head of the Supreme General Committee. An act that alone must have horrified her fellow Deritains. It was a great faux pas that had never been approved of by the Deritain populace, but Marié-Thérèse found that it was always best to be polite and respectful of the culture and customs of and in the nation’s that one is in as a guest. Please it further humanized her. It did not make her seem like a Princess, but as a person.

“Madam Hyvärinen, it is a pleasure to meet you and please, call me Thérèse.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:21 pm

Hyvärinen’s smile only widen at the Princess’s down to earth way of speaking an the lack of the condescending tone that she had expected from her. A prejudice yes, but one that could be seen as justifiable considering the reputation that royals tended to have. And yet as Hyvärinen looked at this woman standing before her, she could not imagine her as someone who looked down at her simply because of her own bloodline. She shook the princess’ hand firmly.

“Well then, it is a pleasure to meet you Thérèse. Thank you from coming. Please, let’s sit, we have a tent encampment for us to discuss matters.”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Marié-Thérèse nodded her head in agreement with Hyvärinen. She meet the older woman’s firm handshake with one of her own.

“I wholeheartedly agree.”

Releasing Hyvärinen’s hand, Marié-Thérèse waved her hand in a searching gesture.

“Please, lead the way.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 pm

Hyvärinen nodded her head. She gestured herself to a path lined with the soldiers of the Supreme General Committee that wrapped around the building of the control tower of the airport onto a large lawn that was next to the grounds of the airports, lined with the airplane hangers of the small planes and jets that sometimes landed and took off from the airport. Here on this lawn a massive white tent camp had been set up, soldiers were everywhere, though these wore blue armbands, in hopes of displaying their desire of these peace talks being secure.

“Right this way,”

Hyvärinen pushed back the curtains of the tent, revealing a large table and two chairs and a server with lemonade and water pitchers.

“Let us sit, would you like something to drink?”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:23 pm

Marié-Thérèse gracefully took a seat across from Hyvärinen and nodded her head.

“Thank you, I would like that very much.”

The Princess gave the servant a brilliant smile as they poured lemonade into her glass.

“Thank you,” Princess Marié-Thérèse repeated. She then turned her attention to Hyvärinen, a soft but serious tone adopted in her voice.

“Madam Hyvärinen, I understand and sympathize with the great strife that you feel and that your country feels. You and your supporters feel like your voice has not been heard by the administration of President Niskanen. And I am well aware of the fact that you are concerned that Niskanen has great international support. We are living in an ever increasingly globalizing world, and while it will always be the greatest desire for the government to protect its citizens and to put there interests first, it can not always be alone. I admire your spirit and since of justice, as well as your mandate here in Rakga and elsewhere. Thus I believe that with the right tweaks, you could win this war.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 pm

Hyvärinen nearly choked on her water at the Princess’ comment. She had been listening carefully to her, considering what this royal mediator was going to say, only to suddenly become entirely surprised and get virtual whiplash with the turn in the conversation. She had expected for the princess to be a mediator that would focus on compromise, not one to take such a cutthroat and cold calculated woman who would make such a decisive statement on the stake of the civil war, certainly not one that was in Hyvärinen’s favor.

“I’m sorry, did you just say that I could win?”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:24 pm

Marié-Thérèse smirked. It seemed that her planned had worked. After all, she was here to try and reach a conclusion that return to a state of peace. It was never precisely state how that peace should be reached. And now she had Hyvärinen’s attention.

“Yes. I did.

Marié-Thérèse took a sip of her lemonade, letting her brief and history changing comment hang into the air. Finally she lowers her cup and tilted her head.

“Have you considered becoming a monarchy?”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:36 am

Hyvärinen could feel her jaw dropping, but there was simply nothing that she could do to stop it. Surely Princess Marié-Thérèse, a Representative of Derita had not come here to plan a victory with her, much less fundamentally change the manner of governance in Nukasta. She spoke of peace, a decisively one sided peace. A peace that would have Hyvärinen ruling over Nukasta. And while certainly Hyvärinen wished for the Supreme General Committee to take power away from Niskanen and his ultra-left cabinet, she couldn’t help but feel a twinkle of hesitation with the princess’s last question.

“A monarchy? No. I haven’t considered such a proposal.”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am

“Well,” Princess Marié-Thérèse set down her glass of lemonade and leaned forward in her seat. “I think you should.”

“I have done my research, and if I am correct, Nukasta had never had a monarchy, you all chose to become a republic right out of the gate, even as kingdoms and empires rose and expanded and exchanged hands around you, which I admit is an impressive feat. But you know as well as I that this is not the era of republics. The vast majority of nations are monarchies, and the most democratic of them are monarchies. The republican experiment, the 21st century has shown us, has, unequivocally, failed. Thus I offer you a solution, bring a crown to Nukasta.”

Marié-Thérèse settles back into her seat.

“Nukasta is currently engulf in a civil war, set in the heart of the Eacusia, it is one that is of great interest to the global and interstellar community. You all were among the few to remain untouched during the Eacusian War, it would be such a terrible thing for you to collapse into chaos now. A monarchy will stabilize the nation and prevent this challenging of mandates from happening again. But of course, I am a monarchist, but I am not hear to preach to you the benefits of such a system. I offer monarchism for a pragmatic reasoning.”

The Princess intertwined her hands.

“No woman rules alone. That applies to both underlings and allies. Niskanen holds the south and the capital, which makes him seem legitimate. But the monarchies of the world tend to prefer one of their own. A Nukastan Monarch will gain you numerous allies to your cause.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:37 am

“So...”

Hyvärinen looked down into her glass a bit perplexed. Monarchism had always been an insignificant ideology within Nukasta, and for decades their neighbors had respected that. Rogoda, a sister republic to their eastern border had been a great support in that regard, and with Espana to the north being a strange sort of monarchy, and Dattan’s far away Empress, pressure had always been light. Though it was true that in recent years the situation and geopolitics of the region had changed. Rogoda had be crushed into a viceroyalty and Dattan throughly subjugated by their Empress. Espana recognized Hyvärinen and her supporters as the legit government, which they were, but they refused to help. Hyvärinen spoke skeptically.

“You would have me destroy the republic and crown myself as Queen of Nukasta for allies? And you think foreigners and Nukastans alike would warmly welcome Queen Eevi?

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:39 am

Marié-Thérèse gave a small chuckle.

“I am sure that a number of people would find it quick novel, though I shall admit that I do not think that to be a suitable course of action towards victory. No, I do not believe Nukastans would sing in the streets ‘God save the Queen’ for you, no offense. And monarchs abroad would only see you as an upstart, the Polongains have a special hatred for homegrown royal families.”

She picked up her glass of lemonade and she examined it, feeling as if she were an actress studying a skull on the stage before an audience of one, speaking in to bes or not to bes.

“I would not have you do such a thing, I wouldn’t have you do anything. But I do suggest certain courses of action. I suggest that you select a royal candidate.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:39 am

Hyvärinen nodded, realization starting to come over her.

“I see now. You would have us go the way of Beliany and select a foreign prince, or princess, to come and sit on a throne of my creation. A princess who would bring us allies and a sense of stability that would help us defeat Niskanen and reunite the country, with a constitutional crown holding us together.”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:40 am

Marié-Thérèse set the glass down.

“Precisely. Madam Hyvärinen, the only way to create a legitimate monarch in the minds of most is to take a clipping from the branch of a pre-existing dynasty. I know you represent the ideals of the Nukastans first, but one can not be blind to the great deal of strength that my proposal would bring to your cause.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:41 am

“I see.” Hyvärinen repeated.

She could more easily see the game plan now of the Princess. A crown, freshly minted and a clipping from a dynasty. Hyvärinen wasn’t entirely sure, but if she remembered correctly, Marié-Thérèse was far from inheriting any throne. Her personal desire to see Hyvärinen win now seemed to make sense. This wasn’t a peace conference. This was a application meeting.

“And I assume that you came here and proposed this monarchist move to take place within my faction with a candidate in mind. The person who would become the first monarch of Nukasta, at your suggestion, I presume, is you?”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:41 am

Marié-Thérèse chuckled once again, amused by Hyvärinen’s course of deduction. If Marié-Thérèse were a simpler woman, yes, Hyvärinen could be no genius to connect the dots and see that the princess would propose to take a newly created throne and reign over Nukasta, using the vast fortune and resources of her grandfather to prop herself up. It wouldn’t be the first time that Derita had propped up monarchs abroad. And whilst the idea in General entertained her, and had been entertained, albeit briefly by her, that was not part of her plan. She had looked several steps ahead and knew that it could not be.

“Madam Hyvärinen, I am flattered, but I afraid that you presume incorrectly. If you were to offer me the throne of Nukasta, I’m afraid I must say no.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:41 am

Hyvärinen felt like she had been hit with a frying pan that came straight out of left field. What?

“No?”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:42 am

Marié-Thérèse was only amused by the completely bemused look on the face of Hyvärinen. Yes, a great shock when one looked at it on paper, one newscasters would say makes no since but one that historians shall call ingenious on Marié-Thérèse’s part.

“No.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:42 am

“And why not?”

Hyvärinen’s voice was somewhere between confused and offended. She was not particularly convinced, much less married to the idea of handing a specially crafted throne over to a foreign princess, regardless of how charming she may be as a diplomat, but she also find the idea that if Hyvärinen were going to offer her such a throne, that Princess Marié-Thérèse would outright refuse her. Thus it also made her wonder further:

“If not you, then who did exactly did you have in mind?”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:43 am

Marié-Thérèse crosses her legs, resting her interwoven fingers laying in the well formed crest of her top knee. She at least had Hyvärinen’s ear still. An ear was all that Marié-Thérèse needed.

“Don’t laugh.”

Nukasta
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Nukasta » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:43 am

Hyvärinen raised an eyebrow. Oh dear. The princess did indeed have someone else in mind. Which would leave one to wonder why exactly she would create such a scheme only for her not to be the chief benefactor, leaving that to someone else. Unless of course the princess suspected that the chief benefactor of this scheme would not be who ever sat on a throne in Nukasta, a throne that Hyvärinen was not even sure she would surely support yet, this idea too much of a fetus for such consideration. That meaning said, victory over Niskanen tempted her and continued to hold her attention.

“Who is it?”

Kingdom of Derita
Senator

Postby Kingdom of Derita » Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:49 am

“He is married to a Nukastan, young, has a pretty face and if my intelligence is correct, fabulously stupid. I believe that he may serve as the perfect diplomatic chip piece on the international stage whilst being a complete non-initiés in Nukasta, at least as far as standing in the way of you and the Supreme General Committee’s conflict with Niskanen. I can guarantee that you shall gain armies willing to fight behind your banner thanks to him, and once you succeed, he shall be a complete figure head for you and your legislators to control. A talk piece that will strengthen Nukasta’s position and win you this war.”

Marié-Thérèse took a sip of her lemonade and purses her lips into a half smile. She had been planning for this moment for weeks. Not particularly like this, not particularly in Nukasta or even particularly to this woman but the act in itself, the launching of the stone, the letting go, the first step in a journey of a thousand light years being taken. That, she had been planning for so long and now it was finally hear. She had carefully and painstakingly taken the time to find the right moment, opportunity and person to serve as a catalyst. The domino who fell in order to put on a spectacular-show.

And now here she was in a tent on a lawn at an airport in a country about to be torn apart by war, with a few syllables, Princess Marié-Thérèse was about to knock that domino over and set the world ablaze.

“Have you ever heard of Prince Frederick of Connuriste?”

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents