NATION

PASSWORD

The Crusading Period [OOC - TWI Only]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 04, 2016
Psychotic Dictatorship

The Crusading Period [OOC - TWI Only]

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Sun Sep 29, 2019 3:21 am

The Auchen Papacy, 1109

With the crowds watching, looking up at the balcony of where he presided, Pope Konrad IV reads a bold speech and turns a crowd of relaxed and content peasants and knights into a mob of angered and violent brethren.

This speech, named as the Declaration Bullion of the Holy War, came after the news of a group of pilgrims being brutally murdered by a horde of Mundhum Pagan barbarians. This, coupled with the desire to regain the holy city of [INSERTCITYNAMEHERE], lead the Pope to attempt to unite Christendom under one single banner and regain the Holy Land from the Mundhum...

Thread Rules

1. This thread is specifically for TWI members. Absolute zero exceptions.

2. This is a major work-in-progress community project. Don't go around your own path making all the decisions yourself. All decisions must be decided by all of us.

3. Realism, people, realism.

4. Just be nice, okay?
Proud and British member of the New World Union
Government: Should act in the name of the people but have no restrictions to do so

On democracy: Democracy should be a pinnacle to set national opinion but uneducated individuals should not be allowed to vote

Athara Magarat
Minister

Founded: Oct 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:09 am

So the premise...

Saint Phalgunanda

Saint Phalgunanda was an Eastern Kirati man of uncertified tribe born to a devout Buddhist (San Jimenez said Buddhist but they would more likely be Yumaists) family on 998 in what is now Arun Valley (then part of the Mahakirat Hangate). Phalgunanda grew up alongside 6 other siblings, 4 sisters and 2 brothers, and was the youngest of the family. At age 6, Phalgunada assisted his family in the fields while receiving religious teaching from his father (it was tradition for the eldest son to join the imperial army/mercenary band, the middle son to become monk/family shaman and the youngest to look after the farm/lands). When Phalgunanda turned 14, his 27 years old elder brother who had joined a mercenary band (as was tradition) brought a Jimenean woman he had met in his travels as his wife. The parents objected to this engagement and disowned him (racist Magaratis? wow...color me surprised). Phalgunanda's sister-in-law suggested migrating to the Del Aguan Empire on the island of Bolea, the island that would later be known as San Jimenez. The couple managed to convince Phalgunanda to join them.

Christians sources mention Phalgunanda initially refused to go but received divine visions. For more info, please head to this link below:

https://www.nationstates.net/page=dispatch/id=964391

In Del Agua City in the island of Bolea, Phalgunanda joined Saint Joseph's School for Boys and became a Catholic priest by 1017. He became sort of famous there for saving the local Pope (???). A year later, he returned back to his home in Mahakirat Hangate (in Khas-Kirat Empire) and started preaching the Bible. In the census he conducted five years later, his followers (aka Catholics in AM) numbered around 2,000. However, the fact that he preaches nonviolence and claimed there was only one true god pissed a lot of people in Mahakirat Hanagte. He was charged with practicing witchcraft (black magic would be more accurate term) and then tortured, had his limbs severed and then hung. The church hehad established collectd these remains and sent them to Bolea (San Jimenez) where he was a delared a martyr and saint by the Jimenean Catholic Church.

After Phalgunanda

The church he had established continued to face persecution in the Mahakirat Hanagte. You see, most of the Eastern Kiratis were Yumaists and they were also monotheists (sort of). To them, the supreme being was the Mother of All Things (aka Yuma) who lorded over everything and they had no room for some old bearded guy who stared down from the sky. The church migrated south to Hangate of Chatha. The lands were inhabited by polytheist Central Kiratis who were open to all religions (in fact it was the Central Kirati Tamangs who were the first to become Buddhists and most of early Muslims in the empier were also Central Kiratis).

Chatha was ruled by the Chepangs, a Centra; Kirati tribe. According to Christian sources, a Chathaese hang had lost his way while hunting. When he had abandoned all hope, (the deceased) Saint Phalgunanda appeared in a vision and led to way to those Christian refugees coming from Mahakirat Hangae. He remembered the vision and asked them about their faith. At their suggestion, he sent a message to the Metropolitan of Merv for priests and deacons to baptize him and his entire tribe. As a result of the mission that followed, the hang and around half of his people (many fiercely remained worshipers of the Chepangic earth gods) were baptized.

Phalgunanda's followers early on (while preaching the Bible still) primarily kept themselves to two important cities: Purano Mandali and Naya Mandali (literally "Old Church" and "New Church" and in Eastern and Western Chatha in modern-day AM respectively). These cities became sort of holy site (I guess) for Christians in the Khas-Kirat Empire and elsewhere.

Christian Hangate of Chatha?

The exact dates are unknown but after the conversion around mid-11th Century, all hangs of Chatha were Christians (Jimenean Catholics to be specific). It was an oddity but still a hangate. Which meant, it was subject to constant wars by its fellow hangates for the flimsiest of excuses (remember how I said that eldest son had to join imperial army/mercenary band? ; that law was the reason why the Khas-Kirat Empire could field much larger and "experienced" armies against similary sized enemy states...also, there were no exceptions and a daughter was conscripted if the family had no sons...not to mention, the best way of rising through ranks in Khas-Kirati society was by "proving yourself in battle").

News of the Chathaese (who happened to be Christians) fighting valiantly against armies of other hangates (who happened to whatevertheheck pagans) were retold in foreign "Christian" nations as Chathaese led by Saint Phalgunanda (forget the fact that half of the Chathaese were also pagan and individual Christians existed among the other enemy hangates) glorious wars against forces of the Demon himself. It was considered that the Christian Hangate of Chatha might one day even give birth to a Christian Mahang (aka the Emperor...who is actually quite powerless to be real) who would make the entire Khas-Kirat Empire Christian.

That dream was shattered when in 1102, the then Hang of Chatha died. Two claimants rose to the throne. The dead man's younger son who was a devout Jimenean Catholic like his father and the older son who was the very stereotype of a Khas-Kirati raider (pillaged foreign lands, always went to fights or battles on whatever excuse available and still worshipped the earth gods of his ancestor). As you would expect, the elder son was heavily favored as a war-hardened leader who would lead Chatha to glory. On the other hand, was this bookish younger boy who claimed that their dead father had made him the heir on his will and had support of the powerful Christian factions in the hangate. The civil war lasted for five years and as you would expect, the war-hardened armies destroyed the larger but inexperienced armies of the younger brother. He and his followers were exiled and Chatha was once again ruled by a non-Christian for the first time in more than half a century.

I Need Mercenaries

The exiled younger brother found refuge in the Auchen Papacy. He immediately started searching for Khas-Kirati mercenary bands but he was broke and an exiled person. Furthermore, his elder brother had earned favors from the Mahang to make sure that no Khas-Kirati mercenary band would be involved in another Chathaese civil war. So instead, he asked the Auchen Pope for men for hire who could fight his war to win the throne and said the Pope could get anything in return. However, the Pope misunderstood and his fantastic speech that said how the "horde of Pagan Mundhums had pillaged Holy City of Purano Mandali and committed unspeakable atrocities against Christians (which historians to this day debate was whether true or exaggerated)" was inspiring enough for much larger than expected army of volunteers to appear. The exiled Chathaese prince was delighted with the number of warriors ready to fight for his banner and changed his plans from becoming the Hang of Chatha to becoming the Mahang of the Khas-Kirat Empire. However, he was an ill man and died on the voyage...

So, let's get this Crusade thing done :P
Last edited by Athara Magarat on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:02 am, edited 4 times in total.
Proud Member of the The Western Isles.

Please read my dispatches regarding the context of the symbol on the flag.

What the symbol really is...

What my flag stands for...

And my IC constitution

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 am

Athara Magarat wrote:Snipped post above^

This all sounds good to me. I feel what we need now though is the Christian powers to be involved in the Crusades and also Christian Military Orders mirroring the Templars and Hospitallers.
Government: Should act in the name of the people but have no restrictions to do so

On democracy: Democracy should be a pinnacle to set national opinion but uneducated individuals should not be allowed to vote

Havalland
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Havalland » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:42 am

Newly unified and just out of the 40 years war, Havalland will join their fellow Christians.
DEAM VULT!
DEAM VULT HERETICS!

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:06 pm

The First Argus Crusade, 1109

Okay so with this Crusade I think the leading Catholic powers such as the Auchen Papacy, and many nations within the Austren Archipeligo (see this image below for a map of Austrovik-Germania in 1109 - new history coming soon!) would launch said crusade and this would result in Christian hangates, or maybe hangates and regions with a small Christian minority, becoming Crusader States along with the capturing of Purano Mandali in 1109 to create the County of Chatha (maybe) and the Kingdom of Mandalium.

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:01 am

My drawing skills are not that good as the post above but I think we can work with these details. San Montagna has agreed to having his majority not!Italian people be descendants of these Crusaders with what is now San Montagna then under Kirati yoke.

At this very time, Domanania has just gained independence from the Kiratis some 10 or so years ago. There are rumors of widespread anti-Kirati violence and literally crucifying those Kirati heathens. Hence, most of the little hangates actually want to retake Domanania than fight against these Crusaders who they considered untrained peasants (to clarify: we agreed to have mobs of farmers, women, children, elderly and people with no combat skills in general who were impatient that Auchen Pope's deadline for Crusade was "too late" and decided to Leeroy Jenkins only to end up in wrong islands, get mauled by Magarati wildlife or end up dying so horribly that the Khas-Kiratis are like "meh" and end up lightly defending the Crusading areas and this helps the real Crusaders to curbstomp when they arrive),

This could result in Roendavar, Chhantyal Hangate in Townside or even the isolationist Xiangu Hangate in Wellsia to come and save my arse.

And my IC constitution

Razzgriz
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 01, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Razzgriz » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:17 am

I am very interested in what the results will be for this crusade as it will set the stage for the Áklíán Crusade nearly century later. Perhaps the fighting between the Crusader States and Yitoría could allow the Khas-Kirati Empire to eventually recover and expel its invaders.
Last edited by Razzgriz on Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
____ The Empire of the Iszkárien Isles____
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Learn more about it here

Interested in, or want to participate in the Beyond the Isles Project Click here

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:08 am

So it appears that due to the large scale of the map and also the surprising amount of lucritave and dangerous battles that could unfold, maybe it would be a good idea to cut back a bit to maybe 1106-1107?

Here is my proposal,

As highlighted here in the red, are the crusading powers at the time. These are the the nations of the Austren Archipeligo (i.e: Austrovik-Germania today) which include the Holy Austren Confederation, the Kingdom of Middle Austrenia, the Kingdom of Austrovia - which was in a Personal Union with the Kingdom of Pruscany - and also the Auchen Papacy. The Knights of the Order of the Christ also owned a small island off the coast of Middle Austrenia due to their service defending Pilgrims travelling to the Holy Cities in Central Argus; it is important to note however they are not fully-fledged warriors, moreover they are simply normal commoners with a weapon at hand and a white cross emblazened on their black tunic. There was also the Kingdom of Havalland, a close trading partner with mainly the Kingdom of Austrovia, and [Belle Isle en Terre?].

The first movements would occur in January [1106-1107], highlighted in the dark yellow, with the invasion of the Brellan Hangate. This was a move mainly backed by the Knights of the Order of the Christ (K.O.t.C) and Havalland, as the Emperor of the Holy Austren Confederation and the Auchen Papacy wished to raid straight away into the Chatha heartlands and pay for their lost Christian brehtren. However, it wa decided that Brellan Hangate should be the first target. Over the course of the next [4-8] months the Christian Armies began to swarm the island and eventually conquered it, and a [Havallandish?] noble was declared [King of the Kingdom of Brella?]

The next salmon movements are from Brella to that island with the settlers on that small island for a sort of pit-stop to Chatha. Then the green is movements to Chatha and the creation of the Chathan crusader state.

Thoughts?

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:00 pm

Razzgriz wrote:I am very interested in what the results will be for this crusade as it will set the stage for the Áklíán Crusade a century later. Perhaps the fighting between the Crusader States and Yitoría could allow the Khas-Kirati Empire to eventually recover and expel its invaders.

Three Christian states: the Kingdom of Brella (I guess that's a good name), the County of Chatha (smaller Magarati Chatha) and Kingdom of Mandalium (larger San Montagnan Chatha and other regions) will be established.

The Baram Hangate (which had minority Christians here and there) in Brulafi could also have a huge boom in number of its citizens who believe in Jesus.

With these many Crusader states being popped up in what is considered de jure Imperial Magarati territory, future Crusades will be inevitable.
Last edited by Athara Magarat on Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

And my IC constitution

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:09 pm

Austrovik-Germania wrote:So it appears that due to the large scale of the map and also the surprising amount of lucritave and dangerous battles that could unfold, maybe it would be a good idea to cut back a bit to maybe 1106-1107?

(Image)

Here is my proposal,

As highlighted here in the red, are the crusading powers at the time. These are the the nations of the Austren Archipeligo (i.e: Austrovik-Germania today) which include the Holy Austren Confederation, the Kingdom of Middle Austrenia, the Kingdom of Austrovia - which was in a Personal Union with the Kingdom of Pruscany - and also the Auchen Papacy. The Knights of the Order of the Christ also owned a small island off the coast of Middle Austrenia due to their service defending Pilgrims travelling to the Holy Cities in Central Argus; it is important to note however they are not fully-fledged warriors, moreover they are simply normal commoners with a weapon at hand and a white cross emblazened on their black tunic. There was also the Kingdom of Havalland, a close trading partner with mainly the Kingdom of Austrovia, and [Belle Isle en Terre?].

The first movements would occur in January [1106-1107], highlighted in the dark yellow, with the invasion of the Brellan Hangate. This was a move mainly backed by the Knights of the Order of the Christ (K.O.t.C) and Havalland, as the Emperor of the Holy Austren Confederation and the Auchen Papacy wished to raid straight away into the Chatha heartlands and pay for their lost Christian brehtren. However, it wa decided that Brellan Hangate should be the first target. Over the course of the next [4-8] months the Christian Armies began to swarm the island and eventually conquered it, and a [Havallandish?] noble was declared [King of the Kingdom of Brella?]

The next salmon movements are from Brella to that island with the settlers on that small island for a sort of pit-stop to Chatha. Then the green is movements to Chatha and the creation of the Chathan crusader state.

Thoughts?

Excellent post. Dialing back the time? Sure thing, why not :P

Ummn, that pink island is not the one with Khas-Kirati settlers. The much smaller isand next to it is. But yeah! We could have Crusaders landing in other nations and Deus Vulting along the path.

And my IC constitution

Townside
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Townside » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:33 pm

This does look mighty interesting.

So for those who don't know, here's a bit of background: the Chhantyal Hangate is one of Townisde's three predecessor states (and currently a constituent country of the modern Land of Townside). It was created by Athara Magarat in 1066, so it has existed for 40 years or so by the time of this crusades in 1106. It is ruled by the Hangma of Chhantyal (succession being matrilineal), of the House of Mahawangsa (that I would like to be somehow related to the House of Mgar, if Athara Magarat permits). The Hangma is Buddhist, as is >90% of Her subjects. The Chhantyals are famous for mining, and for being fierce Gurkha-like soldiers (and mercenaries).

I just need to clear some things up to see how I can (or cannot) fit into this.

Firstly, a question for Athara Magarat - what exactly is the relationship between the Chhantyal Hangate and the Khas-Kirat Empire at this stage? I'd think 40 years of existence is a bit too soon for the Chhantyal Hangate to become independent from the Empire.

Working under the assumption that the Chhantyal Hangate is part of the Khas-Kirat Empire by the time of this crusades, the Chhantyal Hangate would have an interest in this crusade, especially if those bozos from the west are aiming to topple the Mahang.

However, if my assumptions are wrong, the Chhantyal Hangate would need another good reason to get involved, especially since the crusades seem to be mostly restricted to the western portions and doesn't directly affect Chhantyal's little island in the Southern Sea.
Last edited by Townside on Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of the The Western Isles.

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:24 am

Townside wrote:This does look mighty interesting.

So for those who don't know, here's a bit of background: the Chhantyal Hangate is one of Townisde's three predecessor states (and currently a constituent country of the modern Land of Townside). It was created by Athara Magarat in 1066, so it has existed for 40 years or so by the time of this crusades in 1106. It is ruled by the Hangma of Chhantyal (succession being matrilineal), of the House of Mahawangsa (that I would like to be somehow related to the House of Mgar, if Athara Magarat permits). The Hangma is Buddhist, as is >90% of Her subjects. The Chhantyals are famous for mining, and for being fierce Gurkha-like soldiers (and mercenaries).

I just need to clear some things up to see how I can (or cannot) fit into this.

Firstly, a question for Athara Magarat - what exactly is the relationship between the Chhantyal Hangate and the Khas-Kirat Empire at this stage? I'd think 40 years of existence is a bit too soon for the Chhantyal Hangate to become independent from the Empire.

Working under the assumption that the Chhantyal Hangate is part of the Khas-Kirat Empire by the time of this crusades, the Chhantyal Hangate would have an interest in this crusade, especially if those bozos from the west are aiming to topple the Mahang.

However, if my assumptions are wrong, the Chhantyal Hangate would need another good reason to get involved, especially since the crusades seem to be mostly restricted to the western portions and doesn't directly affect Chhantyal's little island in the Southern Sea.

I think they were part of the Empire. It was more like a federation.

Related to the mainland Mgars? Sure thing.

In early 900s, the empire had been a unified entity under two generations. But in the mid 9th-Century, four daughters split the realm equally (creating three hangates in north-east AM, south-west AM and north SM while the youngest got Domanania). In this "Hanglaw" however, the territory started being further and further divided whenever someone died. The bordergore you see here is actually much more cleaned version. In 11th Century, there were nearly 200 hangates due to this sort of stuff. The inner hangates (only hangates from AM and SM primarliy but maybe Hadzanye and Brulafi are considered that) are being "united" of sorts but would again revert back to 200-ish states in 13th and 14th Centuries.

The outer hangates never had this problem. They were technically "settlers/colonizers" on "foreign realm" and often assimilated into local cultures and religions. Which is why, despite being unable to become Mahangs (they could technically but its complicated and let's leave it at that for now); outer hangate rulers fielded much larger armies and were politically influential. The outer hangates often played the role of kingmakers during Mahang elections (now that I think about it: the Mahang is more like a secular pope who nods while hangates do their own things and present ideas).

In 13th Century, two hangates are going to be established in Gael: the Sunuwars in north and Danuwars in Verdon. You could play rivals to these two while continuing to do your own thing in Southern Sea (continuously declaring holy wars against Muslim Kachee, raiding various non-hangate nations in Southern Sea and maybe invasions of ID are some examples). A hangate is pretty much its own entity. They only have to recognize the Mahang and pay him/her annual tributes/taxes.

So yeah, back to the point. The armies of them little hangates are insignificant. And like half of them are either still fighting against each other on their petty conflicts or trying to "retake Domanania". So the Crusaders would sweep easily. That is where you and other outer hangates plus Roendavar arrive as our cavalry.
Last edited by Athara Magarat on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

And my IC constitution

Scantarbia
Spokesperson

Founded: Dec 31, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Scantarbia » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:10 am

Sounds interesting, noting that during this particular time period, Scantarbia has a rather large Catholic population (roughly 30% of the population).
Although, we don't have anything noteworthy in this particular time period, guess that's something to work on.
I see Scantarbia, although the appropriate term for that time is "Kingdom of Laniakea", acting as someone whose interest is to exploit the conflict to gain as much benefit as possible without necessarily entering the conflict.

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:00 am

Scantarbia wrote:Sounds interesting, noting that during this particular time period, Scantarbia has a rather large Catholic population (roughly 30% of the population).
Although, we don't have anything noteworthy in this particular time period, guess that's something to work on.
I see Scantarbia, although the appropriate term for that time is "Kingdom of Laniakea", acting as someone whose interest is to exploit the conflict to gain as much benefit as possible without necessarily entering the conflict.

I think it would be cool if the western crusading masses sort of had an uneasy alliance with the Kingdom of Laniakea, fuelled by the unification of Catholic Christendom under the Auchen Papacy.

I'm assuming all other Mesder Catholic nations would see the Pope of the Auchen Papacy as God's man on Earth, right?

Townside
Attaché

Founded: Oct 23, 2017
Father Knows Best State

Postby Townside » Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:08 pm

Athara Magarat wrote:I think they were part of the Empire. It was more like a federation.

Related to the mainland Mgars? Sure thing.

I love how you just keep agreeing to my demands. Thanks!

Athara Magarat wrote:(Image)

In early 900s, the empire had been a unified entity under two generations. But in the mid 9th-Century, four daughters split the realm equally (creating three hangates in north-east AM, south-west AM and north SM while the youngest got Domanania). In this "Hanglaw" however, the territory started being further and further divided whenever someone died. The bordergore you see here is actually much more cleaned version. In 11th Century, there were nearly 200 hangates due to this sort of stuff. The inner hangates (only hangates from AM and SM primarliy but maybe Hadzanye and Brulafi are considered that) are being "united" of sorts but would again revert back to 200-ish states in 13th and 14th Centuries.

The outer hangates never had this problem. They were technically "settlers/colonizers" on "foreign realm" and often assimilated into local cultures and religions. Which is why, despite being unable to become Mahangs (they could technically but its complicated and let's leave it at that for now); outer hangate rulers fielded much larger armies and were politically influential. The outer hangates often played the role of kingmakers during Mahang elections (now that I think about it: the Mahang is more like a secular pope who nods while hangates do their own things and present ideas).

In 13th Century, two hangates are going to be established in Gael: the Sunuwars in north and Danuwars in Verdon. You could play rivals to these two while continuing to do your own thing in Southern Sea (continuously declaring holy wars against Muslim Kachee, raiding various non-hangate nations in Southern Sea and maybe invasions of ID are some examples). A hangate is pretty much its own entity. They only have to recognize the Mahang and pay him/her annual tributes/taxes.

I also love how you just built the foundation for my medieval history like that on a whim. Beautiful. Thanks!

Athara Magarat wrote:So yeah, back to the point. The armies of them little hangates are insignificant. And like half of them are either still fighting against each other on their petty conflicts or trying to "retake Domanania". So the Crusaders would sweep easily. That is where you and other outer hangates plus Roendavar arrive as our cavalry.

I think this is a nice way for the Chhantyal Hangate to be involved. I'm looking forward to see how this develops. A good opportunity for the not!Gurkhas to flex their muscles. I'll save you Mama Magarat!

Austrovik-Germania wrote:I'm assuming all other Mesder Catholic nations would see the Pope of the Auchen Papacy as God's man on Earth, right?

Here's an interesting thought. Because strictly speaking TWI is part of the real world Earth (see Map Notes), we can't technically have a Pope, because there can only be one Pope in Rome.

I brought this issue up with San Jimenez many moons ago, because he's the most Catholic nation in TWI (but he's a bit inactive right now). You might want to consider something he was considering, a region-wide Catholic diocese in full communion with the Pope in Rome, but whose head is some sort of Archbishop/Cardinal that just practically acts as the TWI-version of the Pope (but technically speaking still a servant to the "off map" Pope in Rome). Whichever nation with a Catholic population/church in their borders can then choose to associate with this diocese, or associate directly with the Pope in Rome instead.

Just an interesting thought based on the technicality of TWI's setting. But regardless, I don't think there's an assumption that other Catholic nations recognise your Pope unless you get their written agreement that they do.

P.S. like your new flag btw
Member of the The Western Isles.

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:34 am

Going to start designing flags for the Kingdom of Brella, the County of Chatha and the Mandalium Kingdom. Any suggestions on flag heraldry/who should be the dominant royal families in these states?

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:27 pm

Austrovik-Germania wrote:Going to start designing flags for the Kingdom of Brella, the County of Chatha and the Mandalium Kingdom. Any suggestions on flag heraldry/who should be the dominant royal families in these states?

Dunno about Brella. Since Mandali means Church, Kingdom of Mandlium would mean Kingdom of the Church or something like that (and hence church-like flag designs??)

For Chatha is simpler.

https://www.nationstates.net/nation=ath ... id=1159862

And my IC constitution

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:09 pm

Time to reinvigorate this thread with some good old classic flags. With them, I tried to incorporate both Havallandish and Austrovik (well, back then it would've been Austrovian, Austren, etc., as seen with the map) heraldry to create some unique flags. With Chatha I just used pretty much the same design as the modern flag of Western Chatha but with different proportions.

Flag of the Brellan Kingdom

Flag of the Kingdom of Mandalium

Flag of the County of Chatha

Austrovik-Germania
Bureaucrat

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Austrovik-Germania » Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:14 am

BIG POST

The First Mesder Crusade - 1104-1106
May 1104: Archbishop Quislent-Urban I makes the Crying Speech of Pilgrimage in the Auchen Papacy, calling for a Holy War against the Pagans in the Mittelland (Argus; the Khas-Kirati Hangates). In this speech, he described the brutal murder of "hundreds" of Pilgrims travelling to the costal city of Naya Mandali - believed to be the site of the ascension of Jesus Christ to Heavan by many people living in Havalland, the Kingdom of Austrovia (in a personal union with the Kingdom of Pruscany), Middle Austrenia and the Holy Austren Confederation. The crowd quickly grows to the thousands and many prepare to set sail for Naya Mandali on Christmas Eve of 1104.

December 1104: Approximately 28'000 crusaders, who were a mixture of farmers, soldiers and knights, and simple Pilgrims, left the city of Lorwich on Christmas Eve, and around 11'000 leave from the shores of the Kingdom of Havalland.

January 1105: Christian boats arrive on the shores of the Brellan Hangate on the 21st of January. The crusaders are accompanied by King Otto V of the Kingdom of Austrovia (later known as King Otto the Religious), Heinrich of Nayers (a close friend of the royalty of Middle Austrenia), Prince Albert of the Holy Austren Confederation [and possibly some Havallandish royalty]. They immediately begin to capture key locations and cities, taking the Hangate by surprise.

February 1105: After four weeks of vicious fighting, and the loss of around 3'000 Crusaders, the Brelland Hangate is defeated. The [name] family of Havalland are coronated as the royal family of the new Brellan Kingdom: the first Crusader State on the Western Isles at the time.

March 1105: By around the 18th of March, the Crusaders arrive on a small island, unnamed by is Khas-Kirati settlers. They savagely and brutally murder all the settlers in sight, however due to major and turbulent storms during the voyage to said island, the Crusader's numbers are depleted from 34'000 to around 29'000.

April 1105: The first 6'000 Crusaders land on the shores of the Hangate of Chatha. Seriously outnumbered, around 3'000 of them are killed off by the Khas-Kirati defenders of the Hangate, who expertedly use horseback [?] and spears to savage Crusader lines. However, as more ships with more Crusaders begin to arrive on the shores of Naya Mandali, the pagan defenders begin to get pushed back. A last-ditch defence of the gates of Naya Mandali is made where oil is slung over the walls and set ablaze, but this is inevitably overcome by the Crusaders who capture the city. They also begin to take more of the surrounding area and Otto V takes the title of King of Mandalium to add to his belt of regal titles, along with the King of Austrovia and the King of Pruscany. The new Kingdom of Mandalium is established around the city of Naya Mandali and the Crusaders achieve their goal.

July 1105: With the borders of the new Kingdom of Mandalium forever shifting and changing due to the various skirmishes and conflicts on the border, the Knights of the Order of Christ are establlished by Robert of [kinda want him to be from Havalland] to defend against the pagans; officially called the Most Poor and Humble Knights of the Order of Christ within the city of Mandalium, this marks the start of a new wave of religious orders being created to defend the Mittelland from pagans.

September 1105: Robert successfully achieves recognition from the Papal States in Rome and also the Auchen Papacy, and the Order of Christ recieves many decrees and bullions effectively making it immune from any authority besides the Pope's, much like the Templars and Hospitallers a century prior.

October 1105: Disastified with the current state of affairs, King [?] of Mandalium begins campaigns towards the much more urbanised city of Purano Mandali. Otto and the Havallandish monarchy are at first against this, but then agree with his plans. 5'000 Knights of the Order also join in organising Mandalium's armed forces.

January 1106: By the 21st of January, the Crusaders manage to take Purano Mandali, and establish yet another state known as the County of Chatha, and the title of Count is claimed by Prince Albert, despite at first being for Heinrich of Nayers. This plants the seed for the tension that would rise in later Crusades between Havalland, Austrovia and Middle Austrenia against the much more influential Holy Austren Empire.

Thoughts?

Dothrakia
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 13, 2018
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Dothrakia » Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:25 pm

Hey sorry I'm a little late to the party.
In my own countries lore I had my southern island being incredibly christian starting in the 1200's and had used it as a kind of internal conflict between the pagan north and christian south so if any of you crusaders would be interested in occupying the southern island I could change that portion of its history into being an actual crusader state and I could tweak the years to line up with one of the planned crusades.

Havalland
Envoy

Founded: May 27, 2019
Father Knows Best State

Postby Havalland » Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Dothrakia wrote:Hey sorry I'm a little late to the party.
In my own countries lore I had my southern island being incredibly christian starting in the 1200's and had used it as a kind of internal conflict between the pagan north and christian south so if any of you crusaders would be interested in occupying the southern island I could change that portion of its history into being an actual crusader state and I could tweak the years to line up with one of the planned crusades.

id be willing
DEAM VULT HERETICS!

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:58 pm

Austrovik-Germania wrote:
BIG POST

The First Mesder Crusade - 1104-1106
May 1104: Archbishop Quislent-Urban I makes the Crying Speech of Pilgrimage in the Auchen Papacy, calling for a Holy War against the Pagans in the Mittelland (Argus; the Khas-Kirati Hangates). In this speech, he described the brutal murder of "hundreds" of Pilgrims travelling to the costal city of Naya Mandali - believed to be the site of the ascension of Jesus Christ to Heavan by many people living in Havalland, the Kingdom of Austrovia (in a personal union with the Kingdom of Pruscany), Middle Austrenia and the Holy Austren Confederation. The crowd quickly grows to the thousands and many prepare to set sail for Naya Mandali on Christmas Eve of 1104.

December 1104: Approximately 28'000 crusaders, who were a mixture of farmers, soldiers and knights, and simple Pilgrims, left the city of Lorwich on Christmas Eve, and around 11'000 leave from the shores of the Kingdom of Havalland.

January 1105: Christian boats arrive on the shores of the Brellan Hangate on the 21st of January. The crusaders are accompanied by King Otto V of the Kingdom of Austrovia (later known as King Otto the Religious), Heinrich of Nayers (a close friend of the royalty of Middle Austrenia), Prince Albert of the Holy Austren Confederation [and possibly some Havallandish royalty]. They immediately begin to capture key locations and cities, taking the Hangate by surprise.

February 1105: After four weeks of vicious fighting, and the loss of around 3'000 Crusaders, the Brelland Hangate is defeated. The [name] family of Havalland are coronated as the royal family of the new Brellan Kingdom: the first Crusader State on the Western Isles at the time.

March 1105: By around the 18th of March, the Crusaders arrive on a small island, unnamed by is Khas-Kirati settlers. They savagely and brutally murder all the settlers in sight, however due to major and turbulent storms during the voyage to said island, the Crusader's numbers are depleted from 34'000 to around 29'000.

April 1105: The first 6'000 Crusaders land on the shores of the Hangate of Chatha. Seriously outnumbered, around 3'000 of them are killed off by the Khas-Kirati defenders of the Hangate, who expertedly use horseback [?] and spears to savage Crusader lines. However, as more ships with more Crusaders begin to arrive on the shores of Naya Mandali, the pagan defenders begin to get pushed back. A last-ditch defence of the gates of Naya Mandali is made where oil is slung over the walls and set ablaze, but this is inevitably overcome by the Crusaders who capture the city. They also begin to take more of the surrounding area and Otto V takes the title of King of Mandalium to add to his belt of regal titles, along with the King of Austrovia and the King of Pruscany. The new Kingdom of Mandalium is established around the city of Naya Mandali and the Crusaders achieve their goal.

July 1105: With the borders of the new Kingdom of Mandalium forever shifting and changing due to the various skirmishes and conflicts on the border, the Knights of the Order of Christ are establlished by Robert of [kinda want him to be from Havalland] to defend against the pagans; officially called the Most Poor and Humble Knights of the Order of Christ within the city of Mandalium, this marks the start of a new wave of religious orders being created to defend the Mittelland from pagans.

September 1105: Robert successfully achieves recognition from the Papal States in Rome and also the Auchen Papacy, and the Order of Christ recieves many decrees and bullions effectively making it immune from any authority besides the Pope's, much like the Templars and Hospitallers a century prior.

October 1105: Disastified with the current state of affairs, King [?] of Mandalium begins campaigns towards the much more urbanised city of Purano Mandali. Otto and the Havallandish monarchy are at first against this, but then agree with his plans. 5'000 Knights of the Order also join in organising Mandalium's armed forces.

January 1106: By the 21st of January, the Crusaders manage to take Purano Mandali, and establish yet another state known as the County of Chatha, and the title of Count is claimed by Prince Albert, despite at first being for Heinrich of Nayers. This plants the seed for the tension that would rise in later Crusades between Havalland, Austrovia and Middle Austrenia against the much more influential Holy Austren Empire.

Thoughts?

Excellent post. I will add points from my prespective.

And my IC constitution

Aizcona
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 28, 2019
Democratic Socialists

Postby Aizcona » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:36 am

I’m a bit interested in this, mostly from a watching standpoint. Aizcona has, even to the modern times, has its own religion that it follows and is a polytheistic religion like the romans and the Greeks. The Estral would be considered Pagans by Christianity.

I don’t know if this can be of any use, but, fuck the Khas-Kirat
President of The Western Isles

"You're a decent guy with enough personality quirks to keep you interesting, yet tolerable to talk to."
"Polar's all like "I like you as a friend" but that feels empty. Polar would say that to a kitten he just met because he's just a really nice friendly optimist (which I like about him)"

Athara Magarat
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Athara Magarat » Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:01 am

Aizcona wrote:fuck the Khas-Kirat

A man of culture, I see.

Wait a minute...

And my IC constitution

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents