NATION

PASSWORD

A long-awaited reunion [CLOSED/Attn Kylarnatia]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Aquilinia
Senator

Founded: Feb 05, 2010
Libertarian Police State

A long-awaited reunion [CLOSED/Attn Kylarnatia]

Postby Aquilinia » Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:24 am

Residence of the Daimyo
Saikyo, Hana Prefecture
Western Aquilinia

“Arigato, daimyo-sama.” The official bowed, and left the office. Sakura shook her head as she sat behind her desk in silence. Three months ago, she was comfortable in her little house in the mountains, contemplating life and watching the world pass by as it had for centuries. She had watched history unfurl, but she had kept to the sidelines for most of it. But everything changed when the bloodline of the Hattori clan ceased.

Hattori Kenji, the last Daimyo of Hana, had been as close a friend as Sakura allowed herself to have nowadays. When his wife and only daughter perished in a tragic accident, he had known that his death would be the end of four hundred years of history. Just like that, one of the oldest names in Western Aquilinia would be no more. Sakura had watched him fall into depression and withdraw himself from public life more and more over the past two years. And while the official story was that he had succumbed to an illness, Sakura knew better. Hattori Kenji had ended his own life, when he found that he could no longer bear this reality. And in his last will, he had named her as his successor.

It had been a cold winter morning when Sakura woke to a loud knock on the door of her cabin, and found a series of official vehicles parked outside her home. A few hours later, she had gathered what little possessions she had, and moved into the official residence, overlooking the port of Saikyo. Sakura smiled to herself as she looked out of the window behind her desk. At least the view was worth it.

Nakatomi Taiichi, the Kaicho of her government, had ensured a smooth transition, and introduced her to her duties. He was a good man, Sakura reflected. Diligent in his duties, always with an open ear for the needs of the people of Hana. She was glad that she could rely on him to handle most of the daily duties of government. Still, certain things required her personal attention, and this matter certainly was one of them.

With a sigh, Sakura rose from her desk. Time for one of her less enjoyable duties.

Parliament of the United Empire
Reichsstadt Ravenna
Eastern Aquilinia

Another day, another session, thought Jennifer Millner as she stood and faced the Speaker’s chair. As the Speaker took his seat, she raised her right arm in salute, as did the other Eastern delegates, with the Westerners bowing instead, as was their own tradition. She had only been elected to this house four weeks ago, and she was finally getting more comfortable with her duties. Today would be yet another discussion of the budget, one of the more boring aspects of politics, she thought. Still, there was a lot to learn.

She was only a backbencher, but the nation had proven how quickly things could change in the last election, triggered by the previous Ministerpräsident resigning over allegations of being a pedophile. The images of Kanaka Heiji being arrested by the Kenpeitai in the middle of the Parliament’s chamber were fresh in everyone’s mind still. His downfall had been a massive blow to his party. After ten years of successful government, the Greens had been reduced to only the third largest party in the house, losing more than two thirds of their seats. And now it was up to the new Ministerpräsident, Sigmund Neubauer – Jennifer’s own party leader, and her uncle no less – to restore the public trust in politics. An uphill battle, she was sure.

Hours passed as members debated the smaller details of some tax or other, and Jennifer had long lost track of time when the Speaker rose and suspended the session for lunch. Again, members saluted the chair, and began to file out of the room, until she was left on her own on the government benches, with only one other member for company. She was about to leave when her colleague approached her.

“Miller-san,” the man said, bowing. “My name is Ito Noriuki, junior secretary to the Trade Ministry. May I have a moment of your time?” Noting his nearly accent-free German, Jennifer shook the offered hand, and nodded. “How may I help, Mr Ito?” “I was wondering if you could help me. You were a German teacher before politics, were you not? I was asked by Minister Kido to write a request to the Empress, and I would like somebody to read over it to make sure I have not made any mistakes.”

“Could you not simply have written in Japanese, Mr Ito?” The young man shook his head. “No, Miller-san, the Minister instructed specifically to write in German. It is concerning a matter of great personal importance to him, concerning the new Daimyo of his home, Hana Prefecture.” Jennifer frowned. “Yashida Sakura? What about her?” Ito hesitated. “I would prefer to discuss the matter more privately. Could you come to the Minister’s office after the session concludes?”

Jennifer agreed, and Ito bowed again as he left her alone in the chamber. She was confused. Kido was one of the senior members of the government. He could have easily approached the Empress in person, why would he have instructed a junior secretary to write to her? And in German, not Japanese? Something was up. Jennifer resolved that she would get to the bottom of this as she finally made her way out of the deserted chamber.

Residence of the Daimyo
Saikyo, Hana Prefecture
Eastern Aquilinia

I will never, ever, get used to this, Sakura thought to herself as she closed the door to her office. And maybe it was better that she wouldn’t. But the law required the Daimyo to be present when a member of the armed forces was to be executed, and this had been no different. A young navy officer, who had intentionally sabotaged a landing craft before an exercise, sending forty of his comrades to their deaths. She never bothered to learn the details of his crime, his motivation, even his name. It was easier that way.

The event was still heavy on her mind when there was a knock on her door. “Donata?”, she asked, when the door suddenly opened, and a young woman entered. The messy black hair with a white fringe, the differently-coloured eyes, the dark blue uniform complete with cape - the identity of her sudden visitor was immediately clear. Sakura almost jumped out of her chair and bowed deeply. “Heika,” she said respectfully, then switching to German. “Your visit was not announced to me. I apologise for not being prepared.”

The Empress laughed and put her hand on Sakura’s shoulder. “Drop the formalities, Bachan. I’m not here on official business,” she said, in Japanese.

Sakura straightened herself, and waved her hand in the direction of the sofa in the corner of her office. “What is it that brings you here then, heika?” Lucille took off her cape as the two women sat, and Sakura called for one of her staff to bring tea.

“Well,” Lucille began, “I just wanted to check in on how my old teacher is settling in to her new role, really. You’re as good as family, can I not just drop by for a visit?”

Sakura laughed. “Well, heika, you are the Empress. There is no such thing as “just dropping by”, is there?” “Quite the reverse, bachan. I can do whatever I want. I needed to get out of the capital for a bit, and I haven’t done my flying hours yet this month, so why not come by for a visit? I haven’t even seen you since your investiture!”

The Daimyo nodded. “That is true. Still, some formalities would normally need to be observed, need they not, heika?”

“Oh please won’t you drop the formalities!” Lucille snorted. “That’s the one thing I hate about this, everyone is so formal around me now. I know, it’s been three years now, but I will never get used to it.”

Sakura shook her head. “I apologise, heika, but you are the Empress, and you deserve the appropriate respect.”

“Whatever. I did not come here to discuss formalities. I trust you have been settling into your new role well?”

“I have indeed, thank you. My kaicho has been most helpful. Some duties, like those I had to perform earlier today, I will never get used to, but they will be performed as the law requires, of course.”

The two fell silent as one of Sakura’s personal staff entered the room carrying a tray with a teapot and two cups. She placed it in front of the two women and bowed as she left the room again.

“I’m happy to hear that,” Lucille said as Sakura poured the tea. “Arigato. Now, is there anything I can do to assist you, is there anything you need, bachan?”

Sakura took a sip from her tea. “Thank you, heika, but I do not require anything at the moment. I have everything I need to perform my duties.”

“I see,” Lucille replied, taking her own cup. “That leaves only one thing to do then. The formal investiture ceremony. Have you begun to make the arrangements?”

“I have indeed, heika. I would prefer a smaller ceremony, in all honesty.” Sakura hesitated for a moment.

“What is it?”

“Heika, I have one request. I would like to invite a foreign guest to my investiture. A very high-ranking one.”

Lucille smiled. “I was wondering when you would ask. I will instruct the Trade Ministry to make the necessary arrangements. You may send the invitation, bachan.” She stood and reached for her cape. “Unfortunately, I’ve got to head back to the capital. Send Silvier my regards when you invite her, bachan.”

Parliament of the United Empire
Reichsstadt Ravenna
Eastern Aquilinia

Jennifer was a little nervous as she knocked on the door to the Trade Minister’s office. “Enter”, a voice sounded from within. She steeled herself and walked into the office, immediately saluting the Minister, a slightly older gentleman with silver-rimmed glasses and a kind face. Kido smiled. “Ah, Miss Millner. Please, sit.”

She sat on the offered chair, and was about to speak, when the Minister interrupted her. “Please, excuse the slightly roundabout way we used to ask you here. You see, there is no letter for you to read. We had to trick you a bit, I am afraid.”

Taken aback, Jennifer said nothing, so Kido continued. “Your mother is a priestess of the Goddess Iyona, is she not?”

At this, she finally found her words. “She is, Minister. What is this about?”

“I am sure you are aware that Yashida Sakura is, in reality, the Avatar of Inari, or Freya as you call her. Tell me, miss Millner, what do you know about the Avatars?”

“With all due respect, Minister, I am not one to speak to on questions of faith. The Daimyo is certainly old far beyond her appearance, but I am not convinced of any divinity.”

Kido shook his head in disappointment. “I see you are not following in your mother’s footsteps, then.”

Jennifer held up her hand. “Minister, I did not say I do not believe, I am just not convinced that Yashida Sakura is an Avatar. A child of a god, living among mortals? Then why would she have been living in a hovel in the mountains for so long?”

“Maybe she was waiting for something, or someone?” Kido looked at Jennifer. “You represent one of the constituencies of Saikyo, do you not, Miss Millner?”

She nodded. “I do, Minister. I may be of the German-Aquilinian community, but my mother is Nishi.”

“I am aware, Miss Miller. I believe you are uniquely placed to be of assistance. Let us assume that Sakura is indeed an Avatar. Then what brought her out of the mountains? What made Hattori name her as her successor?” Kido leaned forward. “Miss Miller, we need you to get close to the Daimyo, and find out why she took the position. What made her come down from exile.”

“We?” Jennifer was confused. “And anyway, how do you expect me to do that?”

Kido smiled and pushed a document towards her. “Welcome to the Trade Ministry. You are now Junior Secretary for the ports. And the port of Seikyo will be your first visit.”

From the Office of the Daimyo of Hana
Seikyo, HN-174SK7
Aquilinia

To Her Majesty, Caesar Silvier
Krytopia
Kylarnatia

CONFIDENTIAL – PERSONAL CORRESPONDENCE – EYES ONLY

Dearest Silvier,

As you may well know, I succeeded my dear friend Hattori Kenji as Daimyo when he passed away a few weeks ago. Empress Lucille has seen fit to permit me to invite you to my formal investiture ceremony, and I enclose a formal invitation giving the dates and all other information you will need.

It took me some time to accept that I would have to return to the forefront of history. I knew this moment would come, and I have been expecting it for at least a century now. But I cannot say the circumstances did not come as a surprise. I am, however, more certain now of the reason.

I need to confirm my assumption is correct, however, and it is for that reason that I have also enclosed a letter to Hyperion. Please make sure he receives it, and ask him, too, to attend the ceremony, for I feel we may see the evidence I had hoped for then.

It has been too long since we met, my dear friend, and I am looking forward to seeing you. Lucille, too, sends her regards.

I remain, as always, your friend,

Yashida Sakura

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

Old friend,

I need your help. I believe one of the others has returned. Please accompany Silvier when she comes to visit for my investiture and see for yourself. I do not know what it may mean, or who it may be, but we need to find out. Why now? Why here? Something has been building up for at least a century. You know my suspicions. I cannot be entirely certain, but it is coming. We must meet.

Inari no musume
Etat Liber Aquilini - Freistaat Aquilinien - Free State of Aquilinia
Libertas et Unitas - Freiheit und Einheit - Freedom and Unity

Empress: Lucille II of the House of Silvanus Aquili
Consul: Dr. Zoé Metelli

Proud member of Esvanovia
Formerly of Sondria

Return to International Incidents