NATION

PASSWORD

Indomitable (MT, IC Thread, Open to Ajax Only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Cynereth
Secretary

Founded: May 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Indomitable (MT, IC Thread, Open to Ajax Only)

Postby Cynereth » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:35 pm

Everything was happening in an instant, a complete sensory overload that was short-circuiting his ability to rationalize what was actually happening. The explosion had not only sent shrapnel and bits of the plane flying through the fuselage like flechettes, it had also sucked several people out into the sky, doomed to a gruesome death from on high. Tania was barely strapped in to the seat beside her, clutching at a gaping wound in her throat from the explosion. The blood was coursing down her hand, hot and thick; a look of abject terror was permanently etched into her sullen eyes.

"Get your masks on! Now!"

The shrieking hellscape of the empty night sky was interspersed with fierce flames, licking at the shattered engines and fuselage. Papers and other debris were bei whipped in the violent surge of the depressurizing aircraft, becoming aerial projectiles almost as dangerous as the hunks of metal flying apart at the rivets. Yasel pawed at the back of the seat in the row ahead of him, unable to see that it had been
ripped from the plane and was hurtling of its own accord down into the mountains below. People were screaming, some in pain and all in fear: it had all happened so fast, so very fast. There was a sharp, stabbing sensation pricking his heart – the anguish over realizing that he was about to die, and that there was nothing to do but wait for the end. Soon, the plane would impact the ground, and darkness would overcome him.

Any residual ability of the plane to continue gliding was now lost, and the remnants of the craft pitched forward at a steep angle. The screaming passengers had now gone silent, replaced by the sound of one of the engines exploding in a fiery hiss almost as violent as the initial explosion. There was a rough
jolt, and then a bone-breaking crunch as something hard and firm impacted the bottom of the fuselage. But the momentum didn’t stop; they were still moving forward at a violent rate of speed. Sparks were flying from the collision of metal with rock; several people ahead of him were burning in the fires, their frantic pleas strangely muted in the cacophony of noise. The air was suddenly sucked out of his lungs, and Yasel could feel his body lift up and away from the floor as his row was torn up and tossed like it was made of papier-mâché.

"Everyone! Hold on! We're about to-"

The last thing he felt was the sensation of ribs giving way under the stress of a violent impact with a bulkhead before the world spun away in a macabre moment of madness...

Two Months Earlier...

SYDRA ACADEMY, RAEDA SATHALISSUNDAY, 1ST SEPTEMBER, 20199:20 AM CYT

“And so, the ancients were more concerned with keeping the intricate framework of their tribes intact than they were exerting influence over rival units far removed from their borders…”

Dr. Tania Velarne raised the control to press the button for the next slide in her right hand, sneaking a peek back at her oh-so-engrossed and enraptured students, who looked as though they were being slowly drained of their collective energies. The large lecture hall was not accommodating in the summer months, having been built shortly after the construction of the wheel; no central air and no windows meant that the tin-roofed auditorium was something of a furnace. Unfortunately, the curriculum required her graduate students to learn this material, and it was the only lecture hall big enough with space for the projector.

She unbuttoned the top of her blouse, carefully wiping a bead of sweat from her brow with her free hand as the next slide loaded. “This privilege was called the Niveil, and it only extended to those tribes who shared no prior history with one another. This privilege did not extend to blood rivals, who tended to be closer to the tribe’s lands and thus… what?”

The class collectively answered: “Competed for resources!

“See, you lot are good for something after all,” she smirked, drawing a curt laugh from her class. “The nature of ancient Cynerethic warfare was shrouded in complexities that would make modern society look like child’s play, but the sociocultural justifications were always an extension of natural evolutionary processes at work. When you need food, you go to war. If you feel bad about having to go to war, you cook up a justification that brings honor and nobility to a dishonorable profession. But the decision making at the tribal level will always fall back to resources, time and time again.”

“In this way,” Tania continued, “we have a fundamental insight into pre-Concordant Cynerethic society: the pragmatic justifications valued by our late ancestors was couched in rich symbolism and mythology. They were indebted to the cause of rationalizing a sometimes-irrational world, which produces the necessary paradigm for superstition to infect both rational and religious thought. If you do bad things to protect your people, you will ultimately find a way to couch your bad actions in a justification that makes your bad actors turn into good actors.”

The vibration of her watch’s digital alarm broke her concentration. She shot a glance down at the timepiece, scowling under her breath – she’d ran out of time again. “Alright, we’re going to have to pick this up on Tuesday. Remember, we’re having a group review session on the commons Wednesday evening from 6 to 9 PM, and then the summer midterms on Thursday. They count for a third of your final grade, so be prepared to work everyone!”

The professor turned towards her computer, reaching to unplug the laptop from the projector cable. Every lecture was the same: she’d start packing out her gear while the students rustled around, doing their best to get out of the roasting oven of a lecture hall as quickly as possible. Then she’d book it over to her office to get her evening lectures prepared for taking a meeting with her colleagues over the seasonal intensives. Today was going to be particularly tight, since she had some private tutor sessions scheduled with ‘benefactors’ – students who had political connections that precluded the possibility of failing them. Some of them were at least honorable enough to admit their shortcomings; most were spoiled brats that rubbed their privilege in the faculty’s face. It was a hazard of the job, unfortunately.

As the sound of the departing students ebbed, the sound of louder footsteps behind her drew her attention. Tania turned, and was nearly taken aback by the pair of men walking towards her. She wasn’t familiar with the bigger of the two: a distinguished, dark-skinned man wearing the uniform of the Erannul, the state police service. But she was absolutely familiar with the dignified cohort beside him: elegantly dressed and dignified, bearing the mark of the Aunura on his lapel. She watched the news, and knew of the Queen and her Court; she recognized Shiye Tuthan, the Head of Clan Osseniar and the chief Counsel – Hathar – to Selania’s court. It was almost too bizarre to even process, someone so famous suddenly there in the room with her, without pomp or ceremony.

Tania quickly remembered formal protocol, bowing deeply at the waist. “Honor and glory, Hathar Tuthan, Officer!”

“Wisdom to you and yours,” the Hathar replied briskly, raising his right hand in acknowledgement of her salute. “You are Dr. Tania Velarne, are you not? One of the registrars thought you might be lecturing in the auditorium.”

“Yes, Hathar Tuthan!”

The constable shot a look at the Counsel, then added his own question: “The same Dr. Velarne that chaired the Conference on the Preservation of Historical Shrines last year in Jolhi?”

"Yes sir, Officer," she answered carefully, almost nervous to make eye contact. "I was invited by the city elders to host the conference; they appreciated my willingness to rebut against magnates from Laeleath trying to develop virgin lands for new farming cooperatives around the city perimeter."

The two men shot a quick glance at one another; Tuthan then nodded affirmatively. "Ms. Velarne, as I'm sure you're no doubt aware, I represent the Court of Her Eminence the Aunura. Would you be surprised to know that Lady Selania has taken an interest in your academic career, and wishes to reward your faithful service to this institution with Concordant honors?"

"That's... That can't be right, that's impossible," Tania stammered, flummoxed beyond all reasonable measure. "What could I possibly offer Her Eminence that isn't already present in the nobility of her Court?"

"Your service in a very important undertaking," the officer acknowledged.

Tuthan spoke up now: "Ah, where are my manners; Ms. Velarne, this is Mez Rege Rol Riya, the Deputy Chief of Special Operations for the Bataan Garrison. He's been so kind as to assist me with security for a special project that has garnered much interest in the corridors of power in Laeleath. A project that your name has come up for on multiple occasions."

"I'm... I am greatly honored, and would gladly serve at the pleasure of Her Eminence," Tania blurted out, her heart almost ready to come flying out of her chest. "Please excuse me, I'm just overwhelmed by this..."

The Erannul officer, Riya stepped out from his position slightly behind Tuthan, revealing for the first time a small black binder in the crux of his right arm. Made of leather and sealed with gold foil around the edges, the faint glint of the overhead light in the auditorium shined off the metallic fray. His gloved hand quickly produced two separate sheets of heavy paper, each baring the royal signet of the Aunura. He kept one sheet close to his chest, then carefully handed the second over to the Hathar, who studied it carefully for a moment before extending it out to Tania. To her surprise, the paper was actually the back paneling for a thin photo holder: the other side revealed a black-and-white photocopy of an old daguerreotype, most certainly from the earliest age of the technology. The lack of fine detail made the picture no less exquisite in her eyes.

Tania frowned, straining to make out the small object of the daguerreotype's focus: a spherical instrument of some sort. Behind it was some ancient tome, its title illegible from the photocopy. "If I may, what am I looking at, Hathar Tuthan?"

"That is what we want you to find out," Shiye responded glibly. "This is a daguerreotype of an long-lost ancient text, thought to be an early tome from one of the establishing tribes of the Concordance. Our clerics have reason to believe that this book, if it still exists, would contain invaluable information on the formation of our theocracy."

The professor's eyes grew wide. "Wait, you refer to the Ancient Book of Wisdom, the Colestis Hilt, correct? The book was purported to be lost ages ago; most of my colleagues aren't even convinced it ever existed in the first place. They considered it folklore, or else a highly-exaggerated account of a much-less impressive book..."

The ramifications of the daguerreotype were not lost on her. "Are you saying the Colestis Hilt might actually exist?"

"It's one possibility," Shiye replied, leaning on his years of academic studies. "The existence of the tome was the subject of intense debate; clerics hid the daguerreotype, fearing that unscrupulous academics might try to pilfer it. It was all conjecture anyway, since the man who made the image died shortly after producing it, keeping the location of the book a secret."

Velarne studied the image again, puzzling over the object in the foreground. "What is this sphere, then?"

Tuthan exchanged a wary glance with Rol, who now spoke up: "This is the problem: we don't know. None of the clerics seem to know what it is, except that their existence piqued the interest of the Draeuz of Velrias. And when the High Priest is interested in something, the Aunura is interested in it, too."

The Hathar concluded: "We don't know what these spheres are, but we think we might know the location of one. Are you familiar with the Caemden Ruins, near the border region with Caenara?"

"Yes... Yes, I am," Tania replied. "It's in the Cailor Mountains, if I'm not mistaken: it's a largely-untapped site, too remote and virtually inaccessible without some serious transport. My department chair was actually on one of the first aerial surveys of the site back when it was first-discovered in the 1980s."

"That sphere? A hunter lost in the Cailor Mountains purported seeing something like it near an ancient shrine that he took refuge in," Shiye exclaimed. "The markings he described? They're almost an exact match for the markings on the sphere in the original daguerreotype. We can't be sure, but the hope is that if we manage to find the sphere..."

"-Then you find the Colestis Hilt too," Tania completed the train of thought aloud. "Unbelievable, to think that after all these years, random luck could provide such providence. You think the book may be at the Caemden Ruins?"

"It's worth a shot," Riya replied. "And that's where you'd come in."

Tuthan added: "You possess certain skills that make you a very valuable commodity in the research expedition we're putting together. You're knowledgeable on ancient Cynerethic history, have done field surveys before, and most importantly of all: you're multilingual, fluent in three languages and capable of conversing in three others. You're the perfect translator for the team."

The professor recoiled slightly, confused. "I'm sorry, the team?"

With that, Rol Riya took the first piece of paper and extended it towards her. "You won't be going in alone."

The paper was an official communiqué from the foreign ministry in Laeleath, stamped and sealed with the Aunura's personal signet. Tania scanned the letterhead intensely, her mind racing with competing thoughts of excitement, shock, and sheer credulousness. "An international expedition? We're inviting in outsiders?"

Tuthan nodded in the affirmative. "Lady Selania requests it. You will be our official translator on the expedition, and will accompany Mez Rege Riya and a cleric of the Anaryssian Church to the ruins."

Tania was stunned. Nothing like this had ever occurred before: it was unprecedented in the annals of scholastic history in Cynereth, to invite outside scholars to join an archaeological expedition inside the borders. What's more, the team she was apparently going to translate for would be undertaking an archaeological survey of the ruins of one of the ancient shrines, sites considered so holy and sacrosanct by the Anaryssians that outsiders were once punished with death and dismemberment for even looking upon the shrines. That the expedition was going to be opened to foreigners was a shocking revelation, and one that she was struggling to process fully. Why would the Aunura want outsiders exploring the ruins of such a sacred Cynerethic site? And what did their presence mean for the significance of the sphere, and whatever symbolism it may represent?"

TO THE ESTEEMED REPRESENTATIVES of the INTERNATIONAL COMMUNITY OF ACADEMICS AND SCHOLARS...

CASTLE VALSIA, LAELEATH, PAAZ DU CYNERETHESSATURDAY, 31ST AUGUST, 20198:45 PM CYT

HONORED GUESTS OF THE CONCORDANCE:

My name is Isuza Kees, Misa to the Aunura of the Concordance of Cynereth. As Abettor to the Sovereign, I act on this evening as a member of the Aunura's Imperial Court at Castle Valsia, and do hereby ordain this letter to represent the Aunura's Foreign Ministry. As such, this missive, and the accompanying Signet of the Concordance shall serve as my formal credentials to speak on behalf of Her Eminence Selania III Selenn and the great and powerful Concordance which Lady Rukka has blessed in perpetuity.

The Concordance has established a hitherto-unprecedented scholastic mission to the rugged Cailor Mountains in Western Cynereth. This expedition strives to unite archaeologists, historians, and independent researchers from around Northern Belisaria and the larger community of nations internationally in the academic pursuit of knowledge. Independent government researchers have concluded that the ruins of an ancient pre-Anaryssian shrine known as Caemden could hold significant archaeological importance to understanding the early-medieval period of Belisarian history. It is the opinion of Laeleath that this archaeological site should be open to researchers from the international community, that they might share in the wealth of knowledge our expedition purports to discover, and to assist in the survey of these ruins.

Through the benevolence of Her Eminence the Aunura, researchers from credentialed academic institutions will be permitted full diplomatic privileges, and given priority accommodation as protected guests and temporary residents in the Concordance. This extension of good faith is made under the auspices of Laeleath's desire to extend warm diplomatic relations with its neighbors, and extend the vision of Cynereth as a proud and contributing member of the international academic community openly to peoples abroad. The personal seal of the Aunura shall guarantee the unfettered access to the research site in Western Cynereth.

Acting as Official Agent for the Foreign Ministry of the Aunura at this time, I hereby deem any and all replies to this missive to represent the formal acknowledgement of the corresponding Foreign Ministries of the independent community of states that this invitation has been made in good faith, and all assurances made herein are personally guaranteed by the Sovereign of the Concordance. Accommodations for those who shall accept the invitation to participate in this historic research expedition shall be handled by this office, and I will make said office available for future queries regarding the observation of protocol as it pertains to formally accepting this invitation, and arriving on OCTOBER 31ST, 2019 for the official invocation ceremony to mark the expedition's commencement. We look forward to corresponding with participant-scholars in the near-future.

I ABIDE AS THE SERVANT OF THE COURT, THE MISA TO THE AUNURA OF THE CONCORDANCE.

YOUR MOST HUMBLE SERVANT,
Isuza Kees, in the stead of the Aunura

I M P O R T A N TL I N K S. . .
Unofficial Theme Song of the Roleplay:
El Dorado by Two Steps from Hell
Last edited by Cynereth on Sat Aug 24, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NO HATE.- I -- L -- O -- V -- E -- U -NO FEAR.

THECONCORDANCEOFCYNERETH
PATHEAS CAISTUSAES CYNERETHESTHE GREATER ANARYSSIAN REALM

A New Member of the Roleplaying Region of Ajax.

IMPORTANTLINKS
Cynereth II Wiki|NS Factbook: Introduction|NS Factbook: Leadership|Roleplay Sign-Up Thread: Indomitable
POLITICALCOMPASS
Economic Left/Right: -4.13Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92Party Affiliation: Democratic / Labour

STRONGLYOPPOSE
Bigotry, Communism, Fascism, Homophobia, Nazism, Political Violence, Racism, Sexism

STRONGLYSUPPORT
Egalitarianism, Environmentalism, Gender Equality, Freedom of Speech, Intellectualism, LGBT+ Equality, Meritocracy, Religious Tolerance

"Make life an art, rather than art from life." — David Gilmour, Lead Guitarist, Pink Floyd

Enyama
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2019
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Enyama » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:27 am

University of Fujikawa Campus | Ken Kuramoto Memorial Library, Meeting Room 02 | 3rd September, 2019 13:02

“...pertains to formally accepting this invitation, and arriving on October 31st, 2019, for the official invocation ceremony to mark the expedition's commencement… we look forward to corresponding with participant-scholars in the near-future.”

Dr. Arai Kyoden set down the recently-unfolded paper upon the podium, looking out at the five people sitting in the largely-empty hall before him. The day outside, easily visible through the slotted windows near the top of the stairs, was murky and overcast, but bright and dry: typical weather for the oft-empty streets of old Fujikawa. The doctor continued his speech.

“As you can see, this is a rather extraordinary opportunity for archeological research into a previously undocumented area, and one not typically offered to foriegners, especially foriengers such as ourselves, from lands as exotic to those across the sea as Enyama.” Though the doctor paused for only a second, it seemed that when he did, the eyes behind his glasses briefly shifted in direction to the half-Latin girl sitting second-from-the-left: Enya Yuuma, the only one of Dr. Kyoden’s research assistants with qualifications in Psychology.

“Now, you all may be wondering what makes me, Dr. Kyoden, so interested in what not-even-fully-ancient Cynerethians were getting up to, and the whole point of their religion. Simple, really. I have put in many academic man-hours here at the University dedicated to uncovering the “new angle”, as you all know it, on our Olkota precursors, and their intermixing with our own colonial ancestors. I have reason to believe that this Cynerethian dig site will allow us to see similar patterns of creation in an entirely different environment - I have written a paper on the similarities between ancient Tulura and ancient Enyama already. Of course, you all have more than scientific prospects to look forward too, my fellow archeologists and anthropologists, for this is going to be a welcome beginning of a diplomatic connection for our own governments - you don’t need to hear it from me to know that President Muratagi has been growing our roots ever closer to those already entrenched in Belisaria. We will certainly appear in newspapers, and we will certainly project an image of Enyama worth remembering, especially given recent...developments in our own news.”

He shuffled his papers and looked down, careful not to talk too loudly about even making a backhanded reference to current goings-on in Enyama. As tensions with both Skaldafen and Jhengtsang grew ever higher, Enyama’s technically libertarian ideals had been under the slow and oft-grueling process of morphing into something far more dictatorial than the original constitution had ever intended; one in four men was in some sort of uniform, even if the army still numbered below half-a-million in number. And to think that all five of his research assistants had received military training! What a time to be alive - he certainly couldn’t have imagined this during the era of gangs and parties in which he had grown up.

“Now, you five are my research assistants. Some I have more experience with than others - and to those that I have not fully gotten to known, I of course regret our lack of contact over the last year-and-a-half, but, well, sometimes duty calls and time twists your arm in positions you never thought possible before. I think you will all find Cynereth to your liking - many have considered its landscape rather familiar to us Enyamans, especially their mountain ranges. That’s where this site is located.”
A hand lazed up from the crowd of five; it was Aoki Matsudaira, the only man approaching Dr. Kyoden in age, a man in his early thirties well on his way to a Ph.D. in Archeology - with a Belisarian focus.

“Doctor, forgive me if you have talked about this already, but what other nations are expected to send their own esteemed parties on this expedition? Or am I correct in being led to believe that this is simply a joint Enyama-Cynereth operation?”

Kyoden shook his head. “No, Aoki, this is more or less an open invitation, from what I have been led to believe, though I can’t tell you exactly who shall be sending their own on this expedition. For our sakes, I hope no socialist nations decide to participate - it could complicate the political aspects of our participation, and President Muratagi has made it clear to me, personally, what his goals are in that regard. We’ll have many plane rides to talk about this, of course, and a month to prepare until then.”

Aoki nodded his head and dropped his hand, thinking momentarily; the assistants all murmured as the Doctor again pursued through his papers once more. All distracted by some prospect of the mission, except for Enya Yuuma, sat near the end of the group, who stared at the doctor, not intending to ask a question but rather musing on what she could glean out of this site. A firsthand account of the creation of a religion? Now that could be juicy information for all sorts of historiographers, but she had a very unique angle to take on the whole ordeal, given her evolutionary psychology background. An often-controversial and controlled field, especially in Enyama, which had recently taken to organizing a (fictitious, to Enya’s knowledge) racial hierarchy of Enyaman history, one which put her Latin ancestors second on the ladder, much to her chagrin. This Cynereth expedition, though, it could be a well-needed breath of fresh air into all of the mess of her research and conflicting fields.

2020 Renaissance Avenue|Fujikawa, Enyama| 11th September, 2019 18:29

As the day had trudged on, the sky grew darker, with only spots of orange dancing above the misty shadow of the clouds. From the distant ocean shoreline, small flickers of electric light briefly illuminated the storm that was to come. And below it all were the varingly colored lights of the city’s center, still bustling with businessmen off late and dignitaries on their way to appease the next rung of the ladder. From the hill upon which Renaissance Avenue was located, the clash of nature’s own air forces with what the Enyamans had built on the ground appeared rather beautiful to Enya Yuuma, perched on the 4th-floor balcony of a government-provided apartment building, included as part of her tuition. The little moments in days such as this had kept the dim flame in her head going on a bit longer, every time offering some unique view of a moment in time that would never again occur.

Enya crossed her arms as she retreated from her perch on the balcony, turning around calmly into the bright digital light of the living room behind her. The trip was a month away, and she had already thrown a heavy-duty travel bag on the ground, equipping it with all sorts of cold-weather apparel and trinkets she could expect to use out in the field - compass, local map (on a printout from the library, as provided by blurry internet photos), field journal, digital camera.
Her thoughts again drifted to home, visualizing the starkness of her childhood street under the strict police state imposed there for years, or the new curfew instituted after the previous week’s hostage situation. To be going on a field study in a different continent would truly feel as a liberating escape for her, one that she had been longing for since hearing of the opportunity. She had always been ecstatic to work with Dr. Arai, but could not have expected that she would be accompanying the man into the field! He was virtually the top anthropologist in Enyama, although his reputation had been tarnished lately due to his decision to submit to his distant acquaintance the President’s demand that the whole of Enyama’s early history be “revisited” to look for “evidence of superiority” regarding Tsurushiman colonists. Enya sighed, thinking of her former idol. She couldn’t tell if the man was showing his true colors in supporting Muratagi, or if he had been threatened into it. Regardless, interference from the government was on everybody in the Enyaman part of the expedition’s mind; Aoki had confided in her yesterday that he had no expectations that any of their discoveries at the Caemden ruins would survive unmodified by the government, or Dr. Arai’s own hand.

Enya sat down on her couch, pouring herself a glass of Enyaman rice wine as she flipped through the different streaming services on her medium-sized television. She idly flipped through movies and documentaries, reading the implicit pro-Government bias in their titles explicitly. Distant thunder rumbled outside. She glanced down at her travel bag, and then to the cabinet behind it. She still had her old service sidearm locked away in a box on the bottom-most shelf, though her mind immediately dismissed the idea of bringing it. Since escaping the military aged 19, she had kept none of her fondness for weapons, even as she felt that the rigorous routine to which she had been subjected still impacted the way in which she organized and disciplined herself now. Even back then, the military had been a different beast than what it had been morphing into the last months - her father in Akutera had personally told her of the various “changes” and “regulations” that his superiors in the Internal Troops had imposed upon the service - he had told her that very few “reputable” members of the organization remained at all.

Dodged that bullet, she thought. Perhaps literally.

14 Bulevar da Vila | Porta Mobria, Gran Aligonia | 14th September, 2019 03:29 PM

It was a smoldering day along the streets of Gran Aligonia’s third largest city, Porta Mobria. The light had just begun to shift from an almost-white morning to an increasingly-orange mid-afternoon. Raul Sabedra sat on his outside patio on the top floor of his apartment building, taking in the sounds of the street as a rather emotive jazz tune echoed through the balconies. His mid-day coffee had already come and gone, with only a newly-emptied empty cup resting on the balcony’s coffee table as he idly typed away at his laptop. He had been quite enjoying his latest streak of successes, having just completed a long form discussion with Ostrozava’s top archeologist the night before. Still, he felt exhausted. He had a million more things to look up, emails and memos to read, and of course, the trip to Cynereth, which drew ever closer and occupied more and more of his mind every time. He had been able to make a living in Gran Aligonia as a “psychedelic bard”, convinced after all of the experiences of his younger adulthood that those substances lay at the core of human religious origins.

He felt nervous about sharing the trip with so many scientists, however, especially those reluctant to share his theories on the origin of religion. Though he had convinced himself, and even urged many more reputable academics to study what they could, he had no definite proof as of yet that the origin of all human religion went up the path of the third eye. He had qualms about the Cynerethian government, as well, but he hadn’t vocalized them in some time, especially publicly. He blinked, and realized where he was as the smell of high-grade coffee wafted through the air. Back in his mind, he had been, analyzing scenarios and alternate pathways and generally both revelling and suffering in anticipation of this event of a lifetime. Footsteps steadily approached from inside the apartment, and before long he found himself staring at his wife Melissa, a pang of teenage-like longing going through his body as he hadn’t even realized that he’d been missing the sight of her beautiful face. She was almost fifteen years his junior, a Lusittian student that he had met through sheer chance in the streets of Villa Romera seven months prior. He felt the honeymoon phase of attraction strongly, only made stronger by the fact that she was currently visibly pregnant with his child; a “happy accident”, he had been prone to call it to her, though in his mind, and especially when in the vicinity of his stricter father, he couldn’t help but think, at his most self-criticizing moments, that he had made a mistake. He smirked. Love tended to work in mysterious, irrational ways. Melissa grinned her wide grin at her new husband, pushed her curly hair and trudged up to the couch, sitting on it next to him and leaning her head on his shoulder as he continued to idle over his laptop.

“What’re ya doin, there?”

“Just...work. Conferences, podcasts. Scheduling.”

“Are you excited for Caemden?”

“I’ve got to be honest, I’m still nervous about it. All those scientists, Mel, it’s a tough order for me to sell what I’ve been saying to people who start unwilling to even consider where I’m coming from.” he confessed, twisting his head in her direction as he locked eyes with her. She maintained her smile, and squeezed his shoulder.

“I think you’ll be surprised.”

“I’m surprised every day, by a lot of things. I have no doubt that whatever happens in Cynereth will surprise me too.” he nodded, feeling pacified.

“So stop wondering what might happen, and just know that it will. You’ve told me that a million times,” she giggled. Raul shrugged. “I know, I know. But we all need that reminder sometime in our lives, don’t we?”

“When’s the trip, again? October sometime?”

“The ceremony’s on the 31st of next month. Halloween.”

She giggled at him, “Spooky,” she noted. “I’ll hold down the costumes for you.”

“Knowing what they wear in Cynereth, I’m not sure you’ll need to.” he grinned, before they both erupted into a bit of laughter, marked by nervousness and anticipation. Raul’s whole life seemed increasingly confusing under all of the burdens in it now, and, extremely positive as some turns of events had been, he couldn’t help but feel as though he was losing it, just a little, just enough for doubt to rear its ugly head. He closed his eyes and breathed once, letting it all go. For now, he was at peace. The next month’s stresses would come when they would...
Last edited by Enyama on Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
"To Our Dreams. For They Alone Keep Us Sane."

IN AJAX:
Enyama | Ostrozava | Gran Aligonia

Pulau Keramat
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pulau Keramat » Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:46 pm

The Grand Gereja of Kopiona Poi
Kopiona Poi, Pulau Keramat
September 7th, 2019 12:08 PM

“Nakkha Uhlam Kauthai, the Upasamada will see you now.”

The simple bow of her head was enough to convey her compliance, a show of respect to the young, static Bhikkhuni, sitting at his perch atop the spire that adorned the center of the hall; She glanced over ornamental carvings weaving their way down the stone-hewn structure before spreading across the petrified wood and obsidian enlays the decorated the floor, admiring the work for a brief moment. Her footsteps echoed, the lone sound in the quiet temple room, as she paced her way to the garden, ignoring every single statue that stood imposing in the rafters of the halls, tranquil faces stained with fresh red paint in twisting cyclones across their marble skin.

If she was going to be honest, Makara had little to no idea why she was here. Not only was she summoned to Kopiona Poi from her comfortable little corner of Nhivaran, but to be meeting with the Upasamada was traditionally a call that had either ill intent, an irrefutable task, or praise that she was certain she didn’t deserve.

A crimson tricivara twisted slightly against her skin as she made her way into the courtyard, the sudden plunge into daylight jarring, if not the suddenly lush miniature jungle and the cries of songbirds that stood out immediately. She continued down the path, bearing almost no mind to the duo of pamelon lounging right by her feet, their lazy forms uncaring as she stepped around the marsupials, a consistent march that seeming almost autonomous.

At this point, she had already internalized her concern entirely, every single flitting thought of fear as she ran through every single thing she had done in recent memory over and over, knowing that her conduct, whilst brutish, had been standard for her role, even expected, so the idea of some kind of confrontation seemed unlikely. She had almost convinced herself that everything would be alright when it became apparent that the Upasamada had already seen her.

The Upasamada of the N’nhivaran order, Voroami Songdhammakalyani, had earned her reputation of being terrifying. She bore no enormous frame, or sour disposition, and even if one were to meet her gaze, they would only see a wave of warmth behind bloodshot hazelnut eyes, and maybe even find some concern in themselves on whether or not she was getting enough sleep. At any unaware individual’s first glance, she would appear to be nothing but kind, smile lines deeply engraved in her pock-marked features, neck heavy with various beads and a slightly plump figure, the epitome of a friendly grandmother, save the lack of hair and various tattoos that ran up and down her skin. Makara knew that the image in front of her was not only superficial, in that she had always spoken in a slow, warm tone, the wobble in her voice laced with praise and kindness, making it evermore terrifying to hear it when knowing it was the same voice that she used when she shattered kneecaps, and tore muscle with only the flesh of her palm. The Upasamada had their intimidating reputation for how well versed they were in martial arts, and how brutally they performed, every single brawl with fighters a fraction of her age, and more than double her size, traditionally ending with something broken before the opponent could even realize they had been hit, and collapsing with cries of pain, panic, and more often combinations of the two.

Makara shuddered at knowing such matches only scratched the surface of how brutal the Upasamada was willing to go, her more illicit activities traditionally being far more deliberate, and slower, as to ensure that people knew what fate would befall upon them. Without much of a second thought, she knelt before the other figure, bowing deeply as she touched her forehead to her palms that lay against the stone walkway, a clipped, “ Salam Sejahtera, Upasamada Voroami.

Salam Sejahtera! You must be the Nakkha Uhlam, Kauthai, yes? Please have a seat with me.” Without hesitation, Makara rose, and made her way to the seat across from the Upasamada, the only one at the hand carved mangrove table, with only what appeared to be an ornate tea set adorning it. “Ah, I do hope you’re alright with ginseng. It’s good for relaxing ones joints, as I’ve been told, and when you spend as much time as I do standing still for hours on end, you begin to appreciate relief when it comes your way.”

“Of course Upasamada, thank you.” She almost cursed herself for how stained her voice sounded, taking her already filled cup and lifting it in deference to her superior, who responded in kind before taking the first sip. Makara followed in tow, unblinking even as the Upasamada hummed a two note rhythm in pleasure at the taste of the tea, a strong aroma that she herself knew was more medicinal than anything else.

As both their teacups were set against the table, the Upasamada smiled gently, looking out to the garden with a short, content sigh, keeping her eyes fixed on a lone ibis that stood not far away, alert on the banks of what seemed to be a small pond. “I hear that you have some experience with the history of faith, Nakkha Uhlam Kauthai.”

Makara was silent for a moment, eyebrows furrowed at the unexpected question. While she had been part of the order, Makara was also a graduate student, majoring in Religious Studies, for reasons she can’t even begin to rationalize fairly. As soon as she had finished her program, she had time to fully dedicate herself to the faith, and had received the title of Nakkha Uhlam with little discrepancy, even earning some impressed glances at how swiftly the mastery of Hancur Silat had come to her. “Yes, Upasamada. Is there something I can assist you with in regards to my studies?”

Voroami simply hummed at the affirmation, a letter with a broken seal in her hand as if it had apparated from nothing. Makara received it gingerly as the Upasamada slid it across the table, before turning back to her tea, gently blowing to cool the heated, amber liquid. “Now, while the N’nhivaran Order as a whole isn’t exactly what people perceive as an academic institute, I was quite pleased to discover that the national university of Kopiona Poi’s Religious Studies program was happy to endorse one of our own to attend in their stead. How lucky!” As the Upasamada sipped her tea, Makara took a moment to look up from the letter to see her bright smile and cheerful gaze, quickly recognizing that the situation was anything but luck.

“Ah. May I ask a question, Upasamada?” With a brief, gentle nod, she continued. “Why me? I’m confident there are many of the order that have skills and academic pursuits that would be just as sufficient, if not more relevant, to this supposed...mission, and especially those that would’ve already been in Kopiona Poi for your availability.”

She was met with yet another warm smile, this one with closed eyes and a toothy grin, the Upasamada’s steady grip on her teacup breaking the illusion of any weakness, no signs of fatigue or wobble as she brings it up to her mouth. Makara’s senior takes another sip of the ginseng brew, before looking at her once again. “It’s very true. At the Gereja here in Kopiona Poi, there are geologists, astronomers, biologists, even archeologists who have joined the N’nhivara. However, none of them are Nakkha Uhlam, Kauthai.” Voroami places down the teacup, the gentle smile still present, but her eyes are cool now, level and focused. “Because of that, if I send any of them, I can’t trust them to do what really needs to get done. Now, before we continue, how about lunch?”

Before Makara can even respond, the Upasamada has risen from the garden, and had begun walking deeper into the path, where if she recalled correctly, the inner sanctum of the Gereja lay. The Nakkha Uhlam was slow to rise, eyes wide, both confusion and excitement at the sudden revelation battling one another, unblinking as Voroami turned back to face her. “Well? Come along, we have much to discuss.”

Slowly, she began to follow, the rapturous calls of songbirds ignored, the grin on her own face growing slowly, a clipped call of, “Yes, Upasamada.” all she needed to say.

The Pulaui National Environmental Research Facility-Marajada Campus
Kopiona Poi, Pulau Keramat
Sepetember 11th, 2019, 4:59 PM

In every sense of the word, Sri was exhausted. Eight hours in the lab was usually fine, if not a little dull for what he had grown accustomed to, but the lack of steady sleep was having a toll on his ability to even focus on the report he was supposed to be checking once more, and even stopping to think about going home was a painful thought at this point. Almost instinctively, he looked down to his hands as he typed away at the computer, some muscle-memory driven response that he had little investment in, a tinge of pain hitting him once more as he saw bare fingers, the lack of silver just another reminder that hit him heavily.

Instead of focusing on it, he took to cursing under his breath, and clicking on a new tab to open up his email, knowing that it’s a senseless distraction, but he knew he could still use it for the moment. He scrolled past a block of drafts sent by his researchers, each of them sending in testing results and draft approvals for new projects, something that he would deal with in due time. He passed over the message from the university once, before scrolling back up, raising an eyebrow at the alert for another research travel opportunity.

Sri leaned closer to screen as he scanned over the message a few times, looking over the details of the supposed expedition put on by the Concordance with an uncomfortable mix of intrigue and doubt. “Awesome Sri, looks like you haven’t learned anything.” Despite normally being embarrassed to be caught talking to himself, he couldn’t bring himself to care, a heavy sigh as he leans back in his chair, looking up at the fluorescent lighting and colorful swirls that added some color to the white, uniform panels of the lab office.

The whole reason he had been divorced was his distance, the fact that it had been trip after trip without time spent at his actual home, with the actual people that cared about him, and now he sat in front of another offer, a chance to go off once more for his passion without a care to what he’s leaving behind. He clicked back onto the other tab, managing to write a few more feeble words in an attempt to push away from the intrusive urge in his own mind to either send his confirmation or delete the email, weighing the two options between a grimace and hastily produced data tables.

It’s a relief when his phone goes off, with the hope that it’s some kind of distraction that most likely has the opportunity to take him away from the predicament, before he slid his finger across the screen and tapped on the speaker option, a subdued, “Dr. Veasna Keo, how may I help you?” almost cut off by a high pitched cheer.

He winces at the noise, turning to lower the volume as the voice on the other end of the speaker launches into a tirade. “Sri, have you seen the research opportunity? This is right up your alley! Northern Belisarian with former inhabitants that’s most likely way overgrown? This could be great for comparisons you made with the data collected to the overgrown structures that were studied in Seredinia! I’m so excited for you!”

He bit the inside of his lip, a tinge of frustration at having to confront this with another person rather than stir in silence, even if it was over the phone. “Doctor Nanarut, it’s good to hear from you as well. I’ve seen the email yes, but I haven’t accepted it yet. I’m... unsure if attending is this trip is the best option for me right now.” He winces at how unsteady his own voice is, silently noting that his throat is quite possibly sore.

“Oh. This isn’t...this isn't about the divorce, is it Sri?” He cringed at the words, having pulled away from his computer keys, the clacks of his keyboard halting evidence enough for the voice to continue. “I’m sorry for prying Sri, but you know I’m...I’m here, you know? And Thao said th-

“I don’t want to talk about that right now Surya.” His voice is harsher than he intended, scolding himself because of it, before continuing. “I’m just… maybe he has a point, you know? I was never there, and now I’m just going to go on another trip, and pretend like I’m not just doing the same thing that ruined my fucking life?” He can’t help his voice cracking slightly at the end, his own tone still hollow and he pities himself for a moment. “That wasn’t professional of me, I’m sorry.”

“Oh, for fucks sake, this is about being professional Sri, this is about you. You followed your passion, and you did what you love, and yeah, maybe there was something about communication that I’m not qualified to build on, but you can’t hate yourself for being passionate about your life, Sri. This is what you love, and it sucks that this happened, but that doesn’t mean you make a sharp u-turn and backtrack entirely. I know you’ve already declined every other trip besides this one,” he cursed his understudies at this point, knowing that they had probably spread news of the declined offers to her at some point in the past week. “But this is good work! And most importantly, you’ve actually thought about it, instead of just signing on immediately, so hey, improvement right?” He actually can’t keep himself from chuckling at the point, albeit a little dryly.

“...You know I hate that you care so much.” He’s met from laughter on the other side of the phone, and he can’t help but smile, clicking back onto the email with a more detailed scan of the offer. “I’m probably going to be the only one who isn’t Belisarian on this whole trip.”

“That hasn’t ever stopped you before. And you know I have to care about you, dude, you’re the only other doctor that can drink on my level and not be a total pig about it.” He chuckles at this, a much more light hearted note than before, as he hovers over the reply button, hand lightly tapping at the mouse.

“Thank you, Surya. I’ll cc you in my response more than likely. Are we still on for drinks tomorrow?”

“Are you really asking? Ha, I’ll meet you at Seven, alright? Lot B, more than likely, Thaumai’s been snagging my spot recently and I’m tempted to actually file a complaint at this point.” He scoffed, knowing that despite her title as chief researcher of environmental geology and volcanology, it’s more than likely that she wouldn’t ever file a complaint if it meant staying in the office for an additional thirty minutes. “Have a good evening, Sri.”

“You as well Surya.”

As the screen flashed black, an indication of the call ending, he looked once more over the email, clicking his tongue as he clicks on the reply, and began typing in his response. “At least I’m getting out of the office.” He shook his head at his own hint of rationality, and continues typing away, already thinking of what to pack.

Mauri’ Aran National Airport
Northern Birhanu, Pulau Keramat
October 29th, 2019

“So, why are you here?”

The question itself was relatively harmless, the traditional hostility and accusatory tone near absent from the statement. However, Makara knew better than to take a level voice as anything less than one rife with suspicion and doubt, as she looked over the Biologist with a bored gaze, a single raised eyebrow her only suggestion of even hearing the statement itself.

The airport lounge itself was relatively quiet, one being reserved for travelers given special clearness by the Dewan Emas for the validity of their trip, usually given to ambassadors, researchers, and the ilk.

It had been some time since the Nakkha Uhlam had been provided the opportunity to exist in such a position with the government, and Makara Kauthai was cautious about it. Since the installment of Dwi Cahyo Metharom as a Dewan Emas Councilmember, there has been more oversight by various councils on the exploits and actions of the N’nhivaran Order, making her supposed vacation garner more attention then she would've prefered.

Even ignoring the journalists and local agents who had inquired upon the purpose of her travel in the days coming to the flight, the first step of the voyage had already been tainted by the presence of the Biologist, Dr. Sri Veasna Keo if she wasn’t mistaken. The two had known that they would both be attending the same trip for some time now, albeit his own position with the Pulaui National Environmental Research Facility had already spelled out his automatic wariness of her, as soon as her own moniker would come to light. Makara knew that he was right to be inquisitive, a thought she internally laughed at, but even entertaining such a train of thought would more than likely be against protocol, the discussion within the Inner Sanctum still fresh on her mind after the months of preparation and waiting.

It wasn’t at all surprising that he would harbor some suspicion of the N’nhivaran order, given his field of study, at least to Makara. The traditions of the Melangkah and the unavoidable aspect of ‘Runtuh’, have always been areas of suspicion to the toxicologists and environmental biologists of the region, and even beyond, inquiries onto the substances and their safety a near constant in her own work. She knew that she obviously couldn’t be obvious, but stirring in silence would only raise any suspicion the Pulaui researcher already harbored.

Makara sighed, letting her exasperation be known as she drummed her knuckles against the glass table, a Whiskey Sour in hand accompanying her own distasteful expression. “I’m at the airport because I’m getting onto a flight, Doctor Veasna. I thought that much would be obvious.”

Her opposite rolled his eyes at the snarky remark, his own fruity cocktail left untouched, the bits of fresh fruit sitting sadly along the rim of the glass as the lankier man fiddled with his thumbs.

Makara could tell there was a tinge of wariness in the other Pulaui, buried somewhere in the dour, casual way he tried to engage with her, which was to be expected. Makara wasn’t exactly trying to exude a hospitable presence at the moment, and for anyone well versed enough to know what the story behind her winding red tattoos were, it would be a normal reaction for them to keep their distance.

As the other man sat silent, still stirring in a sour mood from her response, Makara scoffed. She took to taking a sip of her own drink before placing it firmly back on the table, the clink of the glass enough to jolt the other slightly, garnering his attention as the doctor watched her with a wary gaze.

“I’m here because I want to relax. I find the idea of a winter hiking trip to be a good vacation, at the very least, unless I need to deal with stupid questions throughout the entire experience. What were you expecting?”

She was met with silence, as if the abrupt honestly wasn’t something that he had been considering; an almost novel concept, that in most situations, she would’ve seen as an insult. She flexed her fingers outwards in obvious fashion, as if intently observing her tattoos, the intricate swirls that ran down to her knuckles a stark crimson against the bright daylight shining into the lounge.

“We’re probably going to be the only ones from Pulau, hell, most likely all of Malaio there, so I thought it wouldn’t be too bad of an idea to try and at least make small talk with the one person who’ll know Raji. My mistake, I suppose.”

She huffed at the response, knowing that her own sardonic response wouldn’t be fostering anything but an awkward flight to Cyreneth, and due to it being a private vessel, it would only be the two of them, and even the in-flight beverages wouldn’t be enough to ease the tension.

“You can’t really blame me for being defensive, Dr. Keo. I’m a Bhikkhuni traveling into Belisaria without anyone else from the order, where a whole swarm of scientists from up north will be pestering me with the same questions. However, I expect you’re doing it less to admire my ‘exotic’ tattoos, and more because you actually know who I am, hm?”

The doctor rolled his eyes, taking a brief sip of his own drink, subtly whinging as if realizing that it’s a bit too sweet to be enjoying at this time. “I’d be a moron if I didn’t know what a Nakkha Uhlam looked like. I was trying to understand why you thought a research trip and expedition would be the best way for you foster such a vacation.”

She nodded, understanding at the least if this was his suspicion, it being one of the more rational inquiries he could’ve made. “I actually have a Masters in Religious Studies, specializing in Pagan Faiths and Religious Architecture. It means I’ll get this trip covered, and maybe I’ll have my name featured in one of the research papers I’m expecting some of these people to write. Traveling to North Belisaria isn’t exactly cheap, especially when nobody speaks any of your own native languages, or know what the hell good alcohol is.”

To her surprise, the doctor snorted, a dour, snarky noise, but one that seemed to exude his own entertainment at the statement, garnering a grin of her own. He puts his own drink to the side, looking at her own whiskey with a subtle, but slightly playful look. “Clearly, I don’t either.”

Before he can continue, there’s a quiet chime in the room, a hidden PA humming to life with a pleasant tone, “Flight Bo17-A3 is ready for boarding.” The brief message repeating twice more before another chime rings, the room then met with silence.

She looks at him, knowing that while the tension in the room had, at surface level, been cleared, they still had several hours to go. She smiled, pushing her unfinished drinkt to the side before rising from the cushioned seat. “How about you tell me about your own work on the flight? I’m sure an actual scientist probably has a better story than I do.”

When he nodded, still without a smile but a far less intense gaze in his eyes, she nodded back, reserved and gentle grin hiding a flash of relief, and a small, comforting thought.

‘This’ll be easier than expected.’
Last edited by Pulau Keramat on Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm gay

Pulau Keramat
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 19, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Pulau Keramat » Sat Oct 19, 2019 2:05 pm

Roan National Airport
Roan, Ottonia
10/10/19
8:12 PM
Co-written with Enyama

It was cold. Despite everything, this was the most pressing thought at the forefront of her mind, the rush of airport clutter and bustle chaotic ambience as she weaved her way through the crowds of confused tourists and exhausted families. As a Nakkha Uhlam, Makara was humble enough that she could admit that she was tired from the several hours of flying she had just endured, irritated from the less than subtle stairs and murmurs that she received from every other civilian that she crossed, and most importantly, she was cold. Despite the padding of her triciavara and the several layers she had woven into her attire, there seemed to be little escape from the chill that enveloped her and her companion ever since they had left the plane.

She looked over to the biologist, a huff of discontent from his direction as he seemed to glare at nearly everyone, shivering even worse than her as he bundled himself in a thick array of scarves and plush jackets, the notable shivering almost a tinge of entertainment to her, before she felt another blast of cool air to rip away the brief respite she had found in Keo’s displeasure. Her features twisted into a sharp scowl for a brief moment, before returning to a calm, mask of mild content, the dissatisfaction burning in her eyes poorly hidden behind her even pace and subtle smile. “It can’t get worse then this, I suppose.”

Even though she had turned away from him, she could tell that Keo had an eyebrow raised, and as most incredulous of an expression he could manage despite the discomforting frost. ”Oh, really? I can imagine our connecting flight getting cancelled, and we having to navigate this frozen country for the nearest hotel, negotiating their language, and dealing with every single ‘Dayuhan’ who thinks we look exotic enough to take a picture with.”

She chuckled, a dry note that seemed to blend into a scoff. ”Ah, I guess I stand mistaken on this. Thank you, Mr. Keo, for taking that last glimpse of comfort away from us. I suppose that makes you feel good about yourself, hm?” He retorted with a sharp glare and a curse under his breath, which she could only smile at, watching a gaggle of small children cross them with wide eyes, a few of them touching their own heads as they gazed upon her own baldness. “Regardless, the private lounge we’ve been given access to should be coming up soon. We can warm up with a drink, or several, and finally get something good out of this.” A note of distaste rang out from across the two, an older man staring at them with some form of disgust, that Makara could only meet with a happy smile, her fingers flexing outwards as if preparing herself to palm-heel strike the man. ‘Still’, she pondered, ‘while it would be entertaining to see how far the man could fly, attacking a civilian wouldn’t be worth the cleanup and rationalization.’ Another gasp rang out from him, and she couldn’t help but turn back, watching as the biologist made an outwardly obscene gesture to the man, his gaze dull and almost bored. “You’re ugly.” While it wasn’t an eloquent insult,Keo had refused to shift from his native tongue of Raji, and she couldn’t help but chuckle, not from the lack of comprehension from beyond the language barrier, but on how simplistic and monotonous the statement had been made.

The two hurried onward, ignoring the gasping older figure, Makara’s eyes alight with satisfaction as she could make out the private lounge. “Ah, here we are. Finally, some time without having to think about another language.” With a precise click of the door code, and a flash of her passport to the drowsy attendant, she nearly rushed past the door code, only halting in her hastened pace when she fully processed the collection of figures in front of her.

”I swear, if I need to talk to ‘Dayuhan’ anymore about anything, I’ll actually explode at...ah.” She could feel his hesitation as Keo caught up to her left, looking over the figures that were relaxing across the lounge. ”Well.” If she could hear thoughts, Makara believed her companion would be screeching at the top of his lungs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dr. Arai and the Enyamans found themselves blasted by an immense wave of cold air as they stepped through the doors of their Tlagi airliner into the crisp autumn air of Ottonia, a place far removed from the explosions and firefights which had erupted in Enyama in the past few weeks. They’d been lucky to get out; indeed, Fujikawa was a long way from where they were now, and they’d had to dodge quite a bit of border patrols and rampant Internal Troops on the way out of their own nation.

Dr. Arai couldn’t care less about the blast of cold hitting his face; he was out of the woods, and not particularly intending to return to Enyama at all in the foreseeable future. His assistants, judging from the stressed and occasionally reddened look on their faces, apparently felt similarly. Yuuma had spent most of the flight with her face buried in her hands, lightly sobbing or otherwise giving a similar impression of someone barely holding it together - and, though, on most other occasions, he would have been inclined to call her out on her behavior, even shame it, he knew all-too-well what the girl was going through, with the death of her father only weeks before.

And then, among the other faceless Enyamans was Aoki Matsudaira, who had refused to talk about anything but the Caemden expedition since they’d crossed over into Kaayhltaa Tlag, a quirk which was, at times, a welcome change of pace from the Enyama-focused conversations that the expedition had been having, and at other times, a rather odd and obvious coping mechanism for the imminent dissolution of his research funding. Arai also had that stress to worry about, and the additional weight of his connections with Muratagi buckling rather abruptly - hence his growing inkling of an idea to leave Enyama for the foreseeable future.

As the entourage trudged off of the cold sky-bridge and into the rather warmer terminal, Enya Yuuma, bags under her eyes, thought to the handgun which she’d concealed in her luggage. Ever since she’d gotten the phone call about her father’s death, she’d become much more vigilant about her own safety, perhaps tediously so. Half of her wondered if it was just her army training kicking in, and half of her wondered if it was some sort of fate that had undone her previous affirmation. Now, that Udebaku revolver bounced through security, properly secured to a point that she doubted anybody would care that she’d brought it. A small waiting area at the terminal promptly turned into a customs check-in, and then again into a small and rather desolate waiting lounge. Only a tan man, maybe Latin of some kind, sat on one of the couches, his eyes closed and his breathing indicating that he was asleep.

Enya certainly felt asleep - she hadn’t been able to sleep on the plane, instead subjecting herself to the far more mentally frustrating practice of reflecting on her father’s death and the state of her nation. To her, at this point, Caemden would be a temporary patch to her problems, certainly nothing offering a proper solution to them. She thought of her apartment back in Fujikawa, overlooking the harbor; she had no way of knowing if it even still existed.

The other assistants, and Dr. Arai, entered the lounge with little more than a murmur. As they entered, a depressive atmosphere of what could only be described as upjumped war refugees engulfed the room. Enya couldn’t help but feel as if she was in a holding cell, a kind of purgatory that would send her god-knows where. One assistant got a call, and out of fear, didn’t answer it. Aoki mumbled something about Caemden, but nobody particularly cared to hear him drone on about his hopes for the twelfth hour on end. And so, with an awkward pause, he too receded into the couch and into his own little world, pulling out a book. Enya checked her phone, the white light burning her tired eyes with enough of a flash to make her want to turn it off and sleep - yet she was convinced she couldn’t, and so she went to watching cat videos on the internet…

“C̄hạn s̄ābān, t̄ĥā c̄hạn t̂xngkār phūd khuy kạb"chāw t̀āng chāti," xīk t̀x pị keī̀yw kạb xarị c̄hạn ca rabeid thī̀ ...Ah.” Even with the language barrier, it was hard to detach the dry, irritated tone that had petered out into an awkward heistation, the two figures in the doorway of the lounge providing stark contrast from the sheek silver walling. While the man who had broken the silence was bundled in various scarves and layers of plush jackets, the monk that stood across from him was a far more jarring image, her own eyebrow raised with a tinge of surprise as she seemed to scan over the room once more, as if processing the presence of the others in the lounge. “Dī”

A brief moment of silence passed over the duo, as they seemed to look at one another and engage in a nonverbal spat, eyes narrowing and hands accentuating some level of frustration, before the Monk turned back to the people in the room, looking to the nearest awake person with a gentle smile, and respectful bow. “Salam Sejahtera. Ah, apologies, do any of you... speak Latin?” Her voice was even, a patient and pleasant tone that seemed to contrast from her punctual stance and alert gaze. Likewise, her companion seemed to note the formal introduction, and bowed his head, a reserved, “Salam Sejahtera”, that seemed hesitant, his own tone far more quiet, muffled under the layers of fabric.

Enya found herself shaken awake by the voices, and she spent the next thirty seconds rubbing her phone-bleached eyes only to see the rather jarring image of a female monk and a man thoroughly afraid of the cold trying to talk to her. “Uhm, yes, I can speak Latin.” she blinked, looking a little miffed from having been disturbed from her all-too-brief sleep. “I’m half-Latin, technically,” she explained, her dialect littered with Norumbrian oddities. Aoki and Dr. Arai, the only Enyamans besides Enya still awake, only glanced at the two that had entered, and then at each other, before Aoki shrugged and returned to his book, while Dr. Arai waved a hand. “I can also speak it...badly,” he said, though his accent indicated that he was actually quite good at it, with an almost Belfrasian edge to his voice.

The monk nodded with a soft deference to the party, smiling as their responses went on. “Ah, thank you. I’m sorry to disturb, but I just wanted to know if some of you are also here for the expedition to Cynereth. It may be silly, but we had...rather presumptuously assumed we would be the only two not from Belisaria in attendance.” Without turning away from the group, she seemed to nudge her shoulder into her companion, who seemed to turn to her with a bit of a glare before looking out to the scattered group, seeming to huff as he made his way to an unoccupied table, still holding himself tightly as if the cold was more bothersome than introductions. She looked back to the group, her smile a bit sheepish. “If it’s alright, may I inquire where some of you are coming from?”

Enya threw her eyes up rather defiantly, leaning back on the couch and yawning as she spoke. “Well isn’t that just a stroke of luck?” she mumbled in Enyaman. Her gaze met Makara’s several times, enough of a curiosity for Enya to notice rather abruptly how the monk seemed to be scanning the Enyamans, strangely alert for such a place as an airport terminal. And I thought I was the only one,, thought Enya, though her vigilance was of a strain more disruptive. Dr. Arai suddenly chimed in, almost shushing Enya from how quickly he spoke over her tired musing;

“We’re going to the Caemden Ruins, yes. A strange coincidence that we should meet in this lounge, out of all in the airport. You must forgive my assistants - they’re - we’re rattled. The conflict has hit our research prospects hard. We’re from Enyama.”

“So it looks like there’s more than just Enyamans and Cynerethi after all.” noted Enya as she sat up on the couch. “Apparently so, Yuuma,” nodded the Professor as he stood up and bowed, before extending his hand. “I am Dr. Arai Kyoden, University of Fujikawa.”

Makara met the professor with a reserved hospitality, shaking his hand with her own, wrapped in red silk to the tip of each finger. “It’s quite a pleasure to meet you. I am Makara Cahya Kauthai, and I am in attendance as a guest of the University of Kopiona Poi.” She turned to her companion, who seemed to have already made himself comfortable, balled up against the pillows of the couch. “Ah, and that is doctor Sri Veasna Keo, of the Pulau National Environmental Research Facility. Please, I hope you can excuse his less than stellar hospitality, as he hasn’t yet acclimated to the weather.” The man piped up, a short phrase called out in Raji, resulting in Makara playfully rolling her eyes. “He says it’s nice to meet you. And allow me to express my condolences. I don’t much about the incident in Enyama unfortunately, but I can at least sympathize with the loss.”

With this, she seemed to turn her attention over to Yuuma, eyes still alert, albeit tinged with what seemed to be a subtle sorrow. “There were some people very close to me that were present at the Grand Republic Banquet. I sincerely hope none of you have had to suffer any harm. Would you happen to be from the University of Fujikawa as well?”

Dr. Arai looked to the two and bowed again. “Very well; a pleasure. I am the leading anthropologist in Enyama. May I ask why the Pulaui government has seen fit to send a monk to an archeological dig site? Unless you have actual qualifications?” he asked, his words carrying with them a perhaps unintended sting. Enya sat on the couch, locking eyes with the monk yet again; she pondered whether even to respond, for she wasn’t particularly searching for more sympathy. Unconsciously, she found that her hand had gone to rub her forehead, as if she were lost in thought, and perhaps she was, seeing as she still hadn’t answered the question: “It’s been rough.” she said plainly upon her realization, thankfully not with the tears that had come earlier on the plane ride - she was drained.

Makara was silent for a moment, before bowing her head slightly at the simple statement. “I understand. It may just be me, but I always find that a drink or two doesn’t hurt, if you would care to join me. I’m not sure what time it is for each of you, but I’m more than happy to unwind before another freezing flight.” Her statement is said lightly, touching as to not be said mockingly, whilst not layering on any hint of sorrow or solemn pity. With that, she turned her attention to making her way to the bar, kindly looking to Arai whilst doing so.

“Ah, perhaps I should’ve mentioned my doctorate in religious architecture and theological history? I understand the confusion, kind professor, that it might seem unorthodox for a monk such as me to have such education under my belt.” The statement is absent of malice, if only a bit teasingly, as she sat herself comfortably at the bar. “I will say, I am far more relaxed in my tricivara than any other attire, as it makes for a far more fitting contrast to the shaved head and tattoos.”

From the couch, Keo watched the interaction with wavering interest, before looking across the way, noting the still unconscious tan man, an eyebrow raised at how relaxed he was, and how obvious it was that he wasn’t with the Enyaman group. “At least he isn’t cold.” he grumbled sardonically, as he mulled over whether or not it would be worth getting up to have a drink.

Enya Yuuma, on the other hand, had no such qualms, for at first reference to alcohol, her ears seemed to perk up, and she sheepishly stood up from the couch, asking “Where’s the bar?”. Dr. Arai shot her a look of half-hearted disappointment; he didn’t want a drunk assistant, but he didn’t want her to jump off of a building either, and so he looked towards the monk. “A drink it is, then. Your academic domain is clearly suited to the task - and I’d love to hear about it.” he offered a polite, but not totally friendly smile. Arai seemed to give respect based on academic titles, and though he’d broken through the initially jarring barrier of Makara’s monk status, she still had yet to earn his academic respect. Not that it means much these days, he thought.

As the bartender made their way into sight from the back of the chromatic bar rack, expensive liquors on shining display, Makara gave a cheerful grin to the two joining her; almost invitingly, she took to pulling out the stool to her left as she allowed her feet to dangle off the right end of the bar. “Three of whatever is strong and local.” She looked to the others, her composure smooth as she seemed to relax her gaze slightly. “We should get used to whatever they have up here in the north, instead of rice whiskey and plum wine.” With a quiet nod, the bartender turned back to the cabinet, reaching for an intimidatingly fluorescent blue bottle, Ottonian script decorated with heavy flourish. She kept her gaze fixed on the Professor, while making a mental note that she still hadn’t gotten anything from Enya to her own origins. “If we’re going to be getting into the intricacies of our own academic pursuits, at least allow me to shake off the flight a little. I’m not sure how long it took you all to get here, but I’ll just say I’m more than happy not to take a direct flight on the way back.”

She nodded politely as the Ottonian attendant returned, three rounded glasses containing swirls of amber and scarlet, warm spice seeming to waft from each glass. “Thank you. How about you, Dr. Arai? Are you following a sociocultural route of study? Or perhaps linguistically inclined research is more your taste,” She swirled the glass once, before raising it slightly in an informal cheers, and taking a short sip, her smile and gaze kind, yet unwavering.

“I am seeking sociocultural parallels between Enyama and Cynereth - especially when it comes to a religion springing up in the 800s.” he explained. “Or, rather, that’s what I was to study, if my entire University’s funding was not in jeopardy.” he admitted, to which Enya, already sipping on the mahogany liquid, chortled, surprised that Dr. Arai himself had admitted something such as that openly, and before having a drink. Cleaning up the liquor now dripping down her lips with the drink’s napkin, she commented, “Well, that’s one way to put it. It’s a miracle we’re even here, and not in an active war zone right now.” she said towards the monk, her eyes momentarily brightened by the burn of the drink clearly making its way through her chest. Dr. Arai gave her what seemed to be a half-hearted glare, the type that seemed rather automatic for a stern personality such as his, before sipping on the drink himself.

With a quiet hum of acknowledgment, Makara paused for a moment, swirling her glass once more as if thinking of what to say. With a gentle smile, she looked between the two, her tone warm with a brief click of her tongue. “Well, the good fortune of you still having the opportunity to go on this trip safely is something to drink for, at the very least. I can’t truly conceive the difficulties you both must be enduring right now, but I have to applaud your ability to keep going. In my faith, the act of perseverance is perhaps one of the most important things to ensure your mind can find peace.”Catching the glance of the woman at the table, Makara briefly thought on how close they were in age to one another, before flashing her a kind smile, “At least you seem to be enjoying the drink. While it’s certainly not bad, I was unfortunately never fond of Belisarian whiskies, to be honest.”

She turned her head slightly, as to catch the gaze of the professor as she took another sip of her drink. “I’m assuming then, you must have some assumption and knowledge to my own order then? There’s quite a few faiths that find their home on the archipelago, but I assume the tattoos might’ve given me away for you.” She concludes her statement with a light chuckle, although in placing her glass firmly on the bartop, it was a subtle indication that the topic was something she found worth more attention pursuing.

“Are you a N’nhivaran monk? Forgive my guesswork, I have been occupied with domestic projects for a large majority of my academic career, especially, well, since the rise of the New Frontier” explained Dr. Arai, watching Enya sip her drink, though he only swirled it himself, briefly, “And, of course, thank you for your kind words. Many of us have lost loved ones in the conflict already,” said the doctor, his gaze momentarily drifting to Enya, who was, through no surprise at all, looking directly at him now, with a bit of an accusatory glare in her eyes. Enya stared briefly at Arai, and then at the monk, who was admittedly giving off enough positive energy alongside her inebriation that she almost opened her mouth to say something, stopped, hesitated, and then opened it: “I lost my dad on Day One. I knew he was dead before I knew that there was a war happening. They say he got killed by Skaldanian operatives.” she crossed her arms, leaning back from the stool onto the bar, and looking rather unfazed externally.

Makara couldn’t keep a brief shock from expressing itself in wide eyes and the whitening of her knuckles against the glass, quickly recovering to her placid demeanor, save the beginnings of a small frown giving itself away in a downturned mouth and pursed lips. She took to nodding slowly, all indication of responding to the doctor forgotten in the new revelation, a chance of prying further and understanding now provided, albeit on a narrow and volatile path. She fully understood the pain that death could bring, and whilst she certainly knew that it could be of aid in gaining some trust, it would have to be cautiously, and with a heightened awareness to every word.

She took instead to a bitter smile, looking to Enya with warm, if not a slightly cautious gaze. “I’m sure I am not the first to offer my condolences, and to thank you for trusting me to hear this. There’s many things I could say I suppose, things that I don’t really know, and fairly don’t deserve to. I could say your father would be proud of you despite not knowing your relationship to him; I could extend a branch of sorrow despite not truly grasping your pain. I could offer to be an ear to talk to, or a shoulder to cry on, despite not knowing how much you’ve mourned, how much you’ve said over and over. I extend my sympathy, but I promise, I bare you no overt caution or sensitivity, Ms. Yuuma. I would like to understand you for you, instead of being narrow-sighted and trying to pity and coddle you without understanding your strengths, your needs, and your story.”

Each word is said carefully, an eye trying to gauge her reaction with every statement. “Ah, I find myself lost in what I’m trying to say sometimes, but I hope you understand. I hope not to be a detriment in your grieving and your time here, if that makes sense. If you want to discuss any further, I’m happy, but if you would prefer to drink, that is just as satisfying to me.” She gives a subtle, more concise nod to this, now looking more to her drink than the Enyaman duo, a short sigh after finishing her brief extension of hospitality.

Enya’s brow ruffled as she listened to the Monk, who had turned to talk to Dr. Arai:“Ah, and yes, I am of the N’nhivaran, Dr. Arai, a Bhikkhuni in moniker. I merely extended such inquiry in case you had any question in regards to it. I find myself having to discuss my faith more and more the longer I’m outside of my home.” Her gaze is far more calm, a polite response that belies a cautious gaze still towards Enya, as if awaiting her full reaction and response.

After what seemed like a second longer of deliberation on Enya’s part, she chimed in. “I’m still...processing,” she paused, fighting an urge for raising hostility from the suddenness of the monk’s gesture towards her; she had been raised to expect fakeness in Enyama, discipline, social boundaries not to be crossed; these things never usually phased her, but now she’d found the comfortable blanket of privacy ripped off unceremoniously, and she didn’t know how to react in kind, except to look down, down her drink at once, and as the burn reached up higher into her throat, and the doctor glared, she said: “I’m sorry, that was kinda shocking. Enyamans do not typically talk so openly about such things, and I think that’s why the country’s imploding as we speak.” Arai, for his part, seemed to have nothing to say, fully distracted by Enya’s assessment as he examined the drink swirling around in his cup. The bar seemed loud, after such a harrowing time as he’d had, even though barely any people were in it. It was then when another man walked in, a fairly-well built and well-rounded man who looked rather Latin; Enya recognized him as the man who’d been snoring the lounge, though she didn’t have a chance to react further before the man’s electric voice, speaking perfect Latin, burned through her grief-deafened eardrums.

“Hello, hello,” he raised his hand in a wave. “Your compatriots tell me that we are to be on the expedition to the Caemden Ruins together? How exciting.” he paused, sitting down at the bar. “One pint of something medium, please,” he nodded at the man, watching him bend down behind the bar to search for beers, as he turned to the other two, introducing himself. “I am Raul Sabdera, Professor of Theology at the University of Villa Romera. You must be Dr. Arai,” he said, extending a hand to shake the Doctor’s, who, eyeing him cautiously beforehand, tentatively accepted. “And you must be Makara, as I have heard.”

Makara stilled at the imposition of the new figure, her face becoming a calm and pleasant mask despite an internal scowl, knowing that any chance of continuing on to the topic had been spoilt by the intrusion. Still, she gave a quick glance toward Enya, a short nod of understanding to her concern to try and convey some form of acknowledgement before smiling fully at the new figure, jotting down the name in her mind. “Salam Sejahtera, professor Sabdera. I hope your travel here was a pleasant one. It is good to see another mind of religious studies has found a calling to the trip as well.”

Without a beat for the Belisarian man’s response, another figure shuffled in, with far less chipper hospitality; Dr.Keo was far less bundled up than when he had entered the lounge, instead bearing only a light jacket, his eyes droopy as he took a seat at the far end, a polite if not exhausted wave and dull, “Salam Sejahtera,” all he extended before he turned to the bar menu, eyes wavering as if he could fall asleep at any moment. Makara almost chuckled at the sight, knowing that he wouldn’t try and push himself into the discussion if he could help it, the biologists’ introversion too imposing for any such engagement.

Salam Sejahtera!” replied Sabdera, clearly not his first time saying the greeting, as he threw a cautious arm around the new-coming Dr. Keo, “Aha, there he is!” he said jauntily, clearly unphased by the bleakness of the room into which he had entered; he noticed the rather silent Enya Yuuma sitting in the corner, “Aha, and another Enyaman protégé of Dr. Arai’s, I assume? What’s your name, girl?” he asked with a sense of panache, to which she replied, meekly, “Enya Yuuma.”, not disclosing any of her specializations or interests for fear of more misplaced sympathy going her way. “It delights me to see that you have escaped what I can only assume were harrowing conditions back in Norumbria; I hope this trip can serve as an opportunity for well-deserved escape,” he said to both of them, tugging his arm around Keo as his gaze turned to the Pulauans. “And, of course, that you from the warm south may also find escape from what I can only assume is some form of academic drudgery.”

Makara could only watch with a subtle entertainment gracing itself in a raised eyebrow, at the bravado of the Gran Aligonian man,looking at her companion who was clearly too tired to express his discomfort with the immediate presence at his side. Keo looked down, a quiet, “I just wanted a drink.” all he managed to produce in Raji, looking to the others with a silent question of if anyone could do something to remove him from such a predicament.

She spared a glance once more to Yuuma, a tinge of dissatisfaction still running dry in her mind at how the encounter had ended, before turning to the professor once more. “Oh, I wouldn’t go that far. I just found it to be a new, and welcome experience, to see such beauty to the far north. I hope to treat this expedition in equal parts an opportunity to expand my own knowledge, and perhaps a vacation in part. It’s not often I get to see snow, or such grand evergreens. It may do well to find something besides freezing weather if I were to be up here. And what of your own opportunities, Mr. Sabdera?” She spared a glance to Dr. Arai as well, trying to get a gauge to his own reaction at the presence of such a dichotomic mood,a drastic reprise from the solemn conversation that had settled over them not moments prior.

The Enyamans seemed rather meek, looking into their drinks and sipping, and even nodding along to Keo’s statement, but their minds, to those with a trained eye, did seem far away, immersed in the infinitely-peelable onion of worried thought, Raul glanced towards the group but found himself too distracted by the attention that the Pulaui were giving him. “A worthy cause, indeed. My conferences have me travelling far and wide, but I’m afraid this is my first incursion into Cynereth, which looks gorgeous, even if their government is a tad too unpliable for my personal tastes; I wish to see if I can find evidence of the use of psychoactive compounds in the founding the Cynerethi religion. You may have heard my name as one of the proponents of the “Forbidden Fruit” theory, a variant on the “Stoned Ape” theory, if you will, that postulates that modern religions have their roots in tribal shamanic beliefs, and likely originate from dosage with some psychedelic compound.” he explained, an air of academic confidence grounding Sabdera’s current to the ground. Dr. Arai looked skeptical. “Nonsense, I don’t think that’s what you’re seeing at Caemden, Mr. Sabdera. The timeframe is far too historically forward, and I don’t see any outward similarities to psychedelic-using cultures such as those in Jhengtsang or Mutul.” he mused, to which Makara couldn’t help but chime in with a playful, “Or Pulau, for that matter. If you’re looking for the ties of faith and such substances, I think I may have a little credibility in such a discussion.” To this, Keo couldn’t help but look up to her, an eyebrow raised. “Do they not know you’re N’nhivaran? Your whole ‘Melangkah’ thing is like, all about substance usage.” She couldn’t help but respond in kind to their native Raji, “I’m just as anticipatory as you are. Maybe they think it’s all fake, or something of the sort?”.She couldn’t help but look once more to the subdued reactions and stirring doubt that were plain to see in Yuuma still, and that had been troubling Arai before his own involvement. With a quiet assessment of the Gran Aligonian, she knew it wouldn’t take much for the man to pry further on the more subdued people in the room, and perhaps erupt a far less pleasant response than desired. “I would be pleased to discuss this further, perhaps in the lounge? It’s quite an interesting topic, but I would hate to be rude to our dear friend Keo, he’s quite a bit jet-lagged I believe.” She hoped that Yuuma would pick up that the invitation of escaping the discuss was extended to her and Arai as well, as the monk stood up from the bar, unwrapping her silken handwraps to display the intricate floral tattoos that decorated her hands, swirls of crimson against her skin. “I couldn’t have earned the title of Nakkha Uhlam without being at least a little familiar with such substances after all.”

Raul, noting the invitation to leave was clearly for the benefit of some perhaps literally shell-shocked Enyamans, offered the pair a warm smile as they both raised their glasses, saying something comparable to “I’m gonna stay here,” though he didn’t catch it, for his enthrallment in what had throughout his life become his favorite conversation to have. “Ah yes, I have much to elucidate, for I think you have me misconstrued for one who claims substances such as these would create something as the active worship and use of these substances; I, on the other hand, do not claim, that, say, the Pope in Sydalon has knowledge of the origins of his religious impulse, merely that his religious impulse is an ancestral carryover from whatever we ate when we roamed the forests hunting mammoths. But I think you’re right, Nakkha Uhlam, let’s leave our expedition-comrades to rest.” he nodded towards the monk, gesturing to the door with an open hand, as if he were a butler. Enya nodded at the change of plans meekly, swiveling in her stool to once again face the bar as she raised a finger, pointing down to the worn wooden surface in front of her, upon which another drink was readily placed, this one far redder and taller.

Keo watched the two leave, Makara giving him a quick glance that blatantly meant, ‘you owe me’ as she nodded politely, walking forward out of the bar, with the Gran Aligonian following suit. He turned awkwardly to the other two, a weak wave as he saw his own drink arrive, warm cider and whiskey blending together with a spiced comfort. He looked to the other two, as if he was unsure of what to do from here. “Ah..I guess neither of you speak any Pulaui languages?” the statement, made in the most common tongue of Zahrani, was meek and obviously a polite gesture, as if Keo himself seemed a little awkward now that the two more conversational entities had left the room. He sipped his own drink, happy to at least find some comfort from the warm alcohol, and at least a little satisfied he was dealing with two similarly more subdued personalities, rather than the boisterous voice that was the Gran Aligonian.

Dr. Arai shook his head at the man, understanding the sentiment. “Tsurushemese?” he asked. “Ghantish?” in both languages, glancing at the quieting Yuuma. Enya was off in her own world now, feeling her mind zoom out from the newest drink as she drifted off, far away from conversation and into the light jazz playing in the background of the bar, the distant echoes of intimidating silent conversation washing down the hallway and far away.

“Ah, yes, Tsurushemese.”Keo gave a short sigh that could be construed as relief, and yet a subtle disappointment that meant that actual discussion was something that could be held instead of simple silence. “I’m Sri Veasna Keo, I’m the chief environmental researcher for biology and toxicology back home. I, um, hope Makara wasn’t too...jarring. Even for a Pulaui, she’s extremely good at...discussing feelings, even if people don’t exactly want to. I’m, ah, sure she didn’t mean to do any harm. Maybe. I don’t know, she’s very different.”

“You don’t know?” chimed in Enya, speaking her Latinized-Enyaman, “What, does she have motives for being so nice?” she asked, querying before Arai had a chance to re-introduce himself.

“I,um, I’m sorry, I don’t understand what Ms. Yuuma is saying.” He paused, looking at Arai with an awkward frown, as if worried about what the other Enyaman could have said. “I don’t know much about Makara, really.”He shrugged, looking at his drink now. “I don’t want to assume, but it just seems like she’s not used to talking to people outside the monastery. She’s always so careful with her words, it’s like--”

“Listen,” frowned Enya, sipping her drink. “Whatever it is, I don’t care, yosomono. Right now, I really don’t.” to which Dr. Arai, rather shocked by her response, brushed her off. “You must excuse her, Dr. Keo, she has been having the hardest time of all of us.” he enunciated, with a sigh. Enya scoffed, turning her back to the both of them. “I am Dr. Arai Kyoden, Head of the Anthropology Department at the University of Fujikawa. And I assure you, that neither your presence or Makara’s has not done us any harm, quite on the contrary, actually. This is far better conversation than we have had so far.”

The doctor couldn’t help but scoff at the statement, less so in disbelief but a more snarky agreement. “You’re telling me. Makara and I have been triple checked at every opportunity, and the subject of her monkhood and my skin tone have been commonplace queries any time we take the time to sit down somewhere. There was even an elderly couple who tried their hardest to convert her ‘to the right faith’ on our flight here.” He chuckled at the awkward memory, remembering how Makara had politely nodded to every single statement on the damnation of her faith for an hour straight, eye bags still betraying how tired he was.

Arai nodded at the man, “We had to escape through the Iwawara battlefield, spirits know how many checkpoints, and finally through Kaayhltaa Tlag. Annoying, at best, Dangerous, at worst.” He finished his drink rather quickly, grimacing as he pulled the plug on further torture of his throat through the next half-hour.

He nodded at the danger, aware of the fact that trying to continue on that path was probably a far more loaded conversation than he dared to discuss. “Makara almost got held back by the airport security. They searched her four times, and were almost going to keep her for questioning before we finally got some validation for our invitations. Ah, I work at the Pulaui National Environmental Research Facility, sorry, I don’t think-I don’t think I said that.” At this, he yawned, realizing his fatigue was getting the better of him. “Ugh, I’m sorry, I’m quite bad at dealing with changing time zones. It was good to meet you both, but I think I’m going to try and sneak in a little more rest.” He rose, leaving his almost finished drink behind, and with a polite “Air Hangat,” the man shuffled off, rubbing his eyes as if he had trouble keeping them open. Enya glanced to Dr. Arai after he left. “Well,” she closed her eyes, scrunching up her face as if desiring to drop into a deep sleep right then and there. Dr. Arai began to speak, slowly: “Please do not embarrass me in front of foreigners, like this, Yuuma.” Yuuma’s face finally shifted in valence, a slight smirk erupting over her. “You embarrassed yourself when you thought the monk was unqualified.” she pointed an accusatory finger at Dr. Arai, who simply scoffed and looked to his drink, the music lightly echoing through his ears.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“How familiar are you with N’nhivara, Mr.Sabdera?” Makara was disappointed, to an extent, at how the interactions with the enyaman duo had gone, despite her kind inquiry, and pleasant smile. Dr Arai had been pleasant enough, and to achieve a decent rapport with the head of the Enyaman group seemed to at least be a success. The sour mood she had left Yuuma with, coupled with her more reserved identity, had been more of a mark to her in total, any potential suspicion undesirable, and a mistake on her behalf for provoking. She was accustomed to working from people within the region, and the Enyaman conflict coupled with their own social attitudes had been difficult to adjust to, something she would need to prepare herself for when landing in Cynereth; even more so than with the Enyaman entourage given her abject unfamiliarity with the languages present, having only a month prior took to learning Illewei. She could only hope she could garner more hospitality from the Gran Aligonian before her. “I would assume it would be something that would come up in your studies.”

“I am, perhaps more intimately than any man in Gran Aligonia. I spent four years living in Pulau Keramat, back when I was between universities, as you say.” said the Gran Aligonian, stopping by the window of the lounge to gaze upon the aircraft prepared to take off and land in the windy sky.

“It must have been quite the experience, living in a world so far away from your own. I assume you must’ve lived in Kopiona Poi then? The capital is quite beautiful, and as it holds the grand Gereja, it must’ve been very conducive to your field of study. I myself find it quite intriguing, given my own relationship with faith.” She maintained her tone with even grace, looking out into the dark, tinted with snow. “It must be so interesting, to see our ways from the lens of an outsider.”

The man laughed heartily, with a pronounced “ha-ha-ha” that was hard to mistake for anyone else’s chortle; “Trust me, Gran Aligonia can be just as interesting and strange. Humanity itself is a strange phenomenon to me.” he explained, crossing his arms.

Makara couldn’t help but smile at the sentiment, a kind simplicity and perception becoming apparent through such responses, the idea of prying further seeming less and less conductive. “I’ll have to find myself in agreement there. Where else could such a colorful assortment of identities find themselves all heading the same way, searching for different things in the same goal of knowledge?”

He shrugged, “Dolphins, probably. And countless others beyond the atmosphere.” he said, another aircraft touching down on one of the runways in the distance. “Do you know which flight you’ll be on?” he glanced to the side, to the sleeping Enyamans, “Or them, for that matter?”

“I’ve been assigned to a private flight, planned through my order. They’re very adamant that I am given a moment of meditation before I enter Cynereth, supposedly.” She sighed, a signal that she herself found such an action to be tiresome. “For the Enyamans, I am unsure. I believe they all came together, and most likely will be leaving in similar fashion. And yourself?”

“Economy class. I hope at least the Enyamans shall be travelling with me.” he explained, “If all goes well, the next grant will involve far more money dedicated to travel expenses...but, in my academic climate, one works with what one has.” He paused, digging into his pocket, “Is cannabis legal in Ottonia?”

She couldn’t help but snicker at the question, the blunt honestly a refreshing tune to hear in such a context.”I’m not sure, but I certainly won’t tell.” She dug into her own personal bag, looking towards the professor with a smirk of her own. “Mulut Darah has a far more subtle scent, if that’s to your interests.”

Raul laughed again, “Ah...Old ‘Darah. Perhaps the smoke alarms shall enjoy that,” he commented, looking only slightly surprised that she’d brought her own drugs with her, perhaps on religious exemption which he was not privy to. “There shall be plenty more time for smoking my various concoctions in Cynereth.” he commented as he shuffled around in his pocket again, removing a slick steel lighter marked “Del Villar”. “May I?” he queried,

Makara could only smile at such an assertion. “Only if you can make room for me to join you when we meet again up north.” With little hesitation, she tossed the small paper wrapped parcel towards the other man, knowing both the leaf and nut of the signature mixture to the N’nhivaran order were already prepared. “Being an ordained and government recognized monk has its perks, I suppose.”

Raul nodded at the monk’s request cheerily, catching the small rolled paper in his hand and lighting it up, quickly inhaling: “I hate to say it, but I believe I needed that,” he explained. “This trip may be a great breakthrough for us both, if my intuition holds, but I may miss the birth of my daughter for it;” he explained.

She hummed at the melancholy note, allowing herself to meet his gaze with one of sympathy. “I’m sorry to hear such news. Perhaps we’ll be back soon enough for you to witness such a blessing, hm? And next time, when we have more time and less pressure, I believe I have enough Asci’diana to spare another to partake, if something a little more intense is your fancy.” With that playful tone, she couldn't help but perk up at the less than subtle figure approaching them, an attendant smiling widely and without much reaction to Raul’s activity save a quick glance. “Pardon, Ms.Kauthai? I’ve been told your plane is ready for you.” Makara raised an eyebrow, allowing disbelief to grace her otherwise calm and pleasant demeanor. “Oh, so soon? I suppose I should be off, though it would be rude to leave without goodbyes to the others. It was quite a pleasure to meet you, Mr.Sabdera, I humbly await our next encounter. Air Hangat.”. With a bow of her head, Makara smiled kindly at the Gran Aligonian, pleased that she had found some boon to hospitality with the other man.

It didn’t take long to make her way back to the bar, entering with a sheepish smile and hands joined under her tricivara, her own mind having fun through the best way to enter without upsetting the duo further. “Ah, am I interrupting anything?”

Only Enya still remained - strangely, though she had indulged far more in the Ottonian spirits, Dr. Arai was slumped in a loveseat in the corner of the bar, asleep. The Enyaman girl looked down at the bar, and then back towards the monk. “Not much,” she replied, locking eyes yet again with the monk, a hint of intensity about her still.

The monk couldn’t only smile at the remark,less gentle and more tired than anything, a shadow of sardonic acceptance tinged in her voice. “Fair enough. I just came by to say goodbye I suppose; although I suspect we’ll be seeing much of each other soon enough.” She paused at the sentiment, as if pondering on some way to extend sympathy, before deciding against it altogether. “Have a safe flight, Ms.Yuuma.” With that, Makara turned to leave, a subtle sigh escaping her lips as she began to make her way back to the lounge.

Enya’s lips curled themselves into a slight smile as the monk left, a warm afterglow of her earlier visit still radiating through her. Perhaps she’d make it through this yet...
I'm gay

Cynereth
Secretary

Founded: May 13, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Cynereth » Sun Oct 20, 2019 11:20 am

A collaborative post with Pulau Keramat

"Liberty means responsibility. That is why most men dread it."
George Bernard Shaw

L Y N   N A R Z A R A
Saturday, October 12th, 2019 CE|0600 Hours Cynereth Time

THERE WAS AN EMPTINESS+
to the city that startled him to the deepest depths of his soul: a strange, effervescent veneer hiding a vacuous core that reeked of hollowness. Despite being one of the largest boroughs of one of the Concordance’s largest metropolitan zones, Lyn Narzara was perhaps the most desolate hamlet his eyes had ever laid sight upon – a land aflutter with people wallowing in the avarice of a fetid dream world gone mad. Pomp and circumstance hanging from every colonnade, signifying little but the vanity of a people traversed through Hell and roasted round about the edges. The lasciviousness and gluttony of Remirah was a foul odor in his nostrils, bested only by sickly sweet smell of grease, burning rubber and acrid jet fuel on the busy tarmac of the airfield at Narzara Regional. The sooner he could collect his charge and be rid of this hellish den, the better; the longer he tarried, the more he began to loathe it.

Yasel Althin was accustomed to a much simpler way of life, bereft of the creature comforts of Remirah in all its resplendent glamour. To be sure, Xarana was hardly a hamlet in the high, lonesome peaks of the west; there was a fair parcel of iniquity to be had on the cobblestone streets of almost every city in Cynereth these days. Yet he couldn't help but feel as though the land in the north was stained with something far worse here than what permeated the grounds of his home. Perhaps it was the culture shock of the place; Remirah was a neo-modern metropolis, lit up with bright lights and the wistfulness of the wealthy and those who dreamed to be counted among their number. Xarana was a working class town; beer halls and bunkhouses lined its streets, unlike the gambling parlors and salons that patronized Remirah's broad boulevards. There was at least a purpose hiding in the pooling eyes of the children of Xarana; here, there was little but shallow emptiness in the pretentious spawn of the northernmost lands.

The cleric-priest sighed, taking a long, soothing drag on his Meerschaum pipe, allowing the flavor of the matir-leaf tobacco to calm his frazzled nerves. He just wasn't meant for bright city lights; something about them had always made him feel uneasy. Perhaps he just missed being back home in the parsonage; Yasel had long since put his traveling days behind him, deciding early on that his small villa near the monastery of Tyr Ehrin was about as close to Amorha as he would ever experience. Unlike the man-made jungles of concrete and steel that permeated cities like Remirah, his quiet abode in the mountains of the Cauzen was lush and natural; timbers cut of evergreens, the red ocher of the wood contrasting with the juniper trees and the vivid cherry blossoms that sprang forth in the springtime. His communal square was the apple orchards that provided the rich bounty of fragrant red delicious cultivars; his mezzanine was a small veranda overlooking the Jeash Valley far below, the handiwork of Auleth and Sathaa.

The warmth of his frock coat and his hand-carved pipe amidst the biting cold and gray gloom of the northern morning was a pittance compared to the affection he drew upon from the remembrance of Tyr Ehrin and his beloved Jeash Valley. To be certain, Yasel was a Sadean at heart, and would willfully abandon the trappings of his stately abode in the hills if his superiors ordered him to; nevertheless, he couldn't help but yearn for his quiet corner of Sedrima whenever his service to Lady Rukka led to prolonged travels. The evenings spent on his balcony were the best; streaks of orange and lavender in the sky, kissed with the gentle breeze that fluttered the row of dogwoods lining the trail up to his cabin. The lower the sun hung in the west, the brighter the twinkle of the city lights from Xarana in the distance; those false beacons of light, he could appreciate (at a distance, at least). Enjoying a smooth, copper ale from his oaken stein as the evening colors deepened, casting an ethereal glow on Creation that shone pure...

Easy, boy — focus! A short season longer, and you'll be free to return home.

He exhaled sharply, the fleeting memory of home vanishing in the face of his renewed focus. He would be home when his task was complete; until then, wistfully daydreaming was an unproductive drain on his resolve. Not that he had much to do at the moment, except to wait for his charge to arrive. Yasel was perhaps the only individual on the tarmac not bustling and hustling about to and fro, engaged in some manner of frenetic activity under the overcast sky. Baggage handlers driving their trams back and forth from terminal to terminal; ground directors and escorts leading private aircraft from their hangars towards the landing strip. Narzara Regional was a private airfield designed for light commercial service and state affairs, affording arrivals a modicum of privacy away from the crowded public terminals at the international airport. Though it may have lacked the heraldry of the Aunura's crowning achievement, the more utilitarian airfield would help make Yasel's task more manageable when it came right down to it.

The drab, muted gray skies were beginning to spit at him; the soupy fog yielding to the first sprinkles of an approaching autumn rain storm. Yasel instinctively pulled down on the brim of his campaign hat to keep the misting rain out of his eyes. He had taken care to dress accordingly for a trip to the north, but it didn't negate his distaste for the dreariness of it all. The city of Remirah — as with other northern ports along the coast — were notorious for their finicky weather in the fall. One moment, the bright and crisp morning sun would warm your bones, just long enough to prepare for the pallid squalls to blow in from the northern seas. And although he was accustomed to his fair share of cold October rains living high in the Cauzen at Tyr Ehrin, he had just about decided that the weather here — much like everything else along the 'Golden Coast' — sucked something fierce. The delayed appearance of his charge to the airfield was only contributing to the seeming dolor of the miserable morning was reeking on him.

From his periphery, a mechanic was approaching him with a bright orange bundle in his arms. He cocked his head to the side, noting the plastic poncho that the ground crew wore on the tarmac. The burly figure was of a meek countenance, deferring to Yasel's rank in the Church — he was obviously an adherent, showing such deference and reverence. "Scribe Althin, I thought that maybe you would like to put this on? It'll help shield you from the rain while you wait."

"Thank you; no," the cleric replied curtly, waving him off. "I have no need of it; a little rain never hurt anyone."

"Yes sir," the crewman replied meekly, motioning behind him back towards the terminal. "Well, if you change your mind, you're welcome to wait in the break room adjacent to the first hangar there. It's not much more than a rec room for the baggage handlers, but it's warm and comfortable; got fresh coffee and warm scones available."

Yasel arched an eyebrow at the mechanic, a bit put-off. "Has there been any word on the status of our guests' flight from the air controllers in the tower? I had expected them in a bit sooner than this, quite frankly."

"I haven't gotten an updated ETA from the tower, but I can check for you, sir," the deferential man answered. "At last check, they were slowed by the approaching front, but should be arriving to the airfield shortly."

The cleric scowled briefly, then nodded. "Very well, please keep me abreast of any word on their arrival time."

"It will be done, sir!" The mechanic exclaimed, bowing slightly before hurrying off back from the direction he'd came, no doubt rushing to retrieve the latest data from the flight tower. Yasel had no doubt that in five minutes, the same husky fellow would be begging to report, all in service to a cleric of the Church of Her Holy Grace. True piety was fleeting in this strange age; many still paid lip service to the priests that crossed their paths, but it was a far cry from the days of yore when the unyielding yoke of Lady Rukka bequeathed high honor and privilege for those called to Her side. It was one of the main reasons that Yasel had taken to sequestering himself away from people in his parsonage at Tyr Ehrin — hypocrites cloaking themselves in the false flag of vain religious fervor couldn't worm their way into his good graces if he kept himself separate from them. Every once in awhile, though, a lamb amidst the wolves would dare present itself openly. The courage to hold to one's convictions in this sinful age was laudable.

Bless the timid soul who labors to show respect to your servant, Lady Rukka.

Beauty was something that held a near infinite value of form, facet, and display; to appreciate beauty was not a simple task of perceiving glamour and allure, but also to recognize each individual flaw, each misshapen mark that spoke pain and struggle, and to see how much has been sacrificed, how much as been forged into the dream of making something unique in heart and story. As she looked out past the aluminum pigment of the airplane, the dull buzzing of it’s engines a monotonous ambience, out past the plane of asphalt and paint, hues of ash and white nearly blending into the haze of the lazy morning, out past even distant lights that flickered in with erratic fashion that seemed to highlight bustling skyscrapers and irradiant glow to the soul of a metropolitan center, it became easy to draw upon a simple conclusion — that despite her best efforts, it was challenging, even arduous, to try and confer an idea of beauty to the city.

As the sweet, perfunctory tone chimed in once more, a welcome to the nation ringing in various tongues with the same, monotonous cheer, she couldn’t help but scoff at the welcome, knowing that her time in the city would amount to little more than a brief moment of transit before the real voyage began, her destination a far more appreciable and engaging environment altogether. Even the usage of an automated voice, despite her being the sole passenger to the flight, seemed to be a dissatisfying excess, with the buzz in from the captain having been kept minimal, perhaps in part due to his own stumbling introduction when he had first seen the monk walking towards his vessel.

Even with just the experience of getting to this destination, with bustling airport layovers and the dull hours spent simply reading; masking her humor at responding to poorly butchered Raji of the attendants and tourists who pointed her out from her various engravings and blatantly shaved head. Makara Cahya Kauthai knew that she was an oddity to the people here — at the very least more so than her companions who she had left at the Ottonian airlounge, who at face appeared civilian in nature — and as such, she had accepted that the inherent basis of most conversation and interaction would be fixated on approaching her as some form of exotic and foreign relic. Her faith was old, archaic even, and the fact that it has survived to the modern day was something, with each custom and practice preserved from millenia in the past, was a wonder in itself.

However normal and casual it had been to see the N’nhivaran Gereja adorn busy streets throughout Pulau, to walk throughout a public park in her tricivara and only get an occasional glance to her jawline, Makara knew that such casual notion to her identity would never be a possibility here. Even in the secluded grasp of a few scholarly entities for what was essentially a nature retreat, Makara had resigned herself to embracing the obtrusive remarks and questions that would inevitably be sent her way, knowing it best to simply approach it with a calm smile, and unwavering posture, in anticipation that a level kindness would be enough to keep most questions civil.

We thank you for your patience. Welcome, to Lyn Nazara. The time is six fifteen, and the morning fog should be lifting shortly. We hope you enjoyed your flight with us, and we look forward to servicing you in the future. Please stay seated until the light indicates it is safe to begin departing the aircraft.” A muted hum was all she gave in recognition, noting that the Raji, albeit clipped and static in pronunciation, was at the very least correct in structure, more than could be said for most foreign entities she had the pleasure of speaking to in her past recollection.

It wasn’t at the forefront of her mind, but the issue of the language barrier was already a subtle discomfort that Makara knew would eventually have to be dealt with. For all the languages she knew, it would be difficult to believe than any one of them would be especially commonplace this far from Pulau, save for her knowledge of Latin and perhaps Ottonian. She had taken to learn some Illewei when she had first accepted the task, due to it’s similar structure to the tongues she had already found in her mastery, yet to learn a language in only a few months was still a trial in and of itself, and with all the preparation and conditioning she had done to ensure she was wholly prepared for the extent of her task here, there had unfortunately been little time to become fully comfortable with the tongue.

‘At the very least Sri seemed to pick up on Illewei,’ her thoughts were a quiet and inquisitive recognition, as she bit the inside of her cheek in recalling the biologist’s own ease at picking up the language. ‘Although, I can’t rely on him to be anything but unpleasant and reclusive as of yet. The sour attitude of her companion conveyed itself in a sullen apathy, his engagement dulled and intrigue seemingly plagued by some anguish to the existence of the trip altogether. Makara almost regretted leaving the other Pulaui behind, but her flight here had already been scheduled by the Order, and with the debrief left for her on the flight, it had been essential she had arrived on her own accord and solitude.

A bright ‘ding’ indicated that it was time for her to finally rise, which was done so with a tinge of reluctance; her flight, albeit only a brief venture, was a soothing break from keeping up with the bustle and hurry that came with dealing with air travel, especially when dealing with airport security who were unaccustomed to how exactly to deal with a bhikkhuni in the middle of northern Belisaria. Tucking her satchel and carry-on backpack to comfortably fit against her robes, Makara made her way out of the vessel, a brief and polite nod to the pilot, who still gazed at her with intrigue and a tinge of wonder. Her placid smile stayed warm, a hint of disappointment hitting the back of her mind as the thought of having to deal with such an apprehensiveness throughout the trip became a tiresome expectation.

As she made her way down the stairway, her footsteps a dull thud against the metal plates beneath her feet, she allowed her composure to droop for one more moment in the brief solitude, a single sigh escaping as she entered the gaze of the airline workers, eyes forward and expression gentle without looking to the sudden array of eyes that began to fixate on her. She winced at the chilling wind that seemed to sit as a heavy miasma as she truly took in the environment around her, the sun a glimpse of sparkling radiance, as it was only now waking up and embracing the cold northern runway.

She was happy enough to have the opportunity of, to some extent, privacy in meeting her escort; she knew little about who to expect besides a name, the moniker Yasel Althin quick and easy on her tongue, although she held little idea of what figure would be tied to such a name. A quick scan over the runway gave such speculation an easy end, as the predominant entity not dressed in sickly orange and husting for regulated maintenance was hard to ignore. He was, with some flourish to the identity, a living bulwark, towering with a strong frame and hardened gaze, his graying mane and stone gaze a contrast to her own smooth head and gentle, albeit scanning demeanor.

It was obvious to her that he was a man of faith, the Anaryssian faith an ideology she had made herself familiar to in her days as a student. She knew the faith was young in comparison to her own, but still one fervent and influential within Cynereth, a piece of information she kept mentally pinned. She continued with her steady pace until she stood before the other, another scan allowing her to note the collection of scars that adorned his figure, and the impassive gaze that betrayed little emotion was enough to make her grin, a subtle and welcoming notion that masked a far greater satisfaction in her own mind, sizing up this priest designed for war as someone worth engaging with. She met him with her own customary headbow, arms clasped with one another as in prayer, a melodious tone emitting a simple phrase, one so familiar it was nearly muscle memory. “Salam Sejahtera, Yasel Althin. I am Makara Cahya Kauthai, Nakkha Uhlam to the N’nhivara.”Her introduction was in IIlewei, the essentials already recollected and memorized as to at least provide a proper first impression. “It is a pleasure to meet you, cleric.”

“No’dra linis Azaele Rukka, Siva Kauthai,” Yasel replied in the liturgical language of his faith, then again in Illewei: “Welcome to the land of the Children of Rukka, Nakkha Uhlam. You honor us with your presence in the Concordance.” Yasel was impressed; Makara’s mastery of the Illewei tongue was equal to his own, no small feat given the peculiarities of the language.

Makara gave a polite smile at the welcome, another note to the depth of his faith being registered as she gave a subtle nod in recognition, turning her gaze to the environment around them. “If you are ready, I am prepared to get moving as well. While it may do us well to exchange pleasantries, it may be preferable to do so away from the airfield.” Her eyes darted to the airway workers as she said so, briefly watching them before looking back to the cleric.

“Indeed; we have a sedan waiting near the private terminal to escort you to your lodgings here in Remirah,” Yasel motioned towards the pathway leading off the tarmac, taking note of Makara’s respectful — if reserved — demeanor. Somehow, it pleased him to no end, working with someone that could dispense with the benign pleasantries of ‘diplomacy’ (such as it were) and get down to business. “I pray your flight was uneventful?”

“As uneventful as can be, when traversing your way through a continent wholly unfamiliar with your faith.” Her voice is tinted with a casual playfulness, as if the irritating ordeal of dealing with enthralled and disgusted entities that ate up her appearance was a simple task. “There is some satisfaction to be gained in the presence of more mature company.” With little hesitation, she made her way onto the path, glancing at the airway with subtle intrigue, her calm unwavering still. “If you would happen to know, has anyone else from the expedition arrived yet?”

“To my knowledge, you are the first,” Yasel responded, looking up at the ornate, antique clock that hung from the control tower’s northern face, as though it were some sort of antiquated town clock. “Though that will be changing momentarily; most of the expedition will be arriving within the hour, should everything hold to the itinerary. Laeleath has a… peculiar way of inviting diplomats into the country, even in such an informal setting as a research expedition. They never bring dignitaries in through the same airport. Your colleagues on the survey are landing all over the northern coast this hour, Rukka willing.”

Makara hummed at the response, a soft acknowledgment to the information provided. “Understandable. The subtle intricacies of the state are best kept for peace of mind, at least in my familiarities.” She followed the gaze of Yasel, looking at the senescent clock with a brief appreciation for some form of aesthetic to the urban environment. With little more to say on the topic, she allowed herself to still the conversation to a comfortable silence, instead unwinding the silken wraps that had consumed her hands, giving way to floral patterns of scarlet that burned against whitened knuckles and calloused palms. She flexed her hands once, as if allowing them to breathe, before simply depositing the cloth into a pocket within her tricivara.

Try as he might, Yasel was confounded by the appearance of the intricate design upon his guest; it was quite unlike anything he was accustomed to, betraying the realization within him that he was an absolutely atrocious choice to be engaging in diplomatic pleasantries, even in such an informal setting as a backwater airstrip in the misting rain. His counterpart, Makara… It was nearly overwhelming his courtesy not to begin indulging his intellectual curiosity over the servant of the N’nhivaran Order. The Pulaui of the United Confederacy were more than a mystery to him; they were an enigma, wrapped inside a puzzle. At once unique to his Anaryssian sensibilities, yet fascinating to his scholarly sensibilities, it was all he could do to keep from assailing his guest with interminable questions. “You are certain to have a host of servants at the ready to assist you once we reach your lodgings, but I’ve been instructed to make myself available by the head of my Order should the need arise. It is the wish of the Concordance and the Church that your presence in our country be a comfortable one.”

Makara nodded in polite responsivity, turning to face the priest once more to respond in kind, a brief pause as she recognized the glimpse of curiosity that seemed to shine behind a shield of political courtesy and customs of Belisarian conduct. She couldn’t help but feel a tinge of intrigue at the fact, aware that the unwinding of her wraps had been anything but a subtle call to her own markings. “I do appreciate all that has been prepared for the guests of such an expedition. It is quite kind to see such hospitality be raised, even for those of my ilk.” She enforces her tone to hold a subtle baiting dissonance to it, making the phrase a piece heavier than the words alone. “Of course, I assume you must also be at least in some way familiar the burden we of faith must carry in this world, Cleric Althin. There will always be intrigue, always query, always a question of why, that is placed upon our voice and soul.” She hums pleasurably with the statement, extending a quiet, subdued invitation. “Forgive my ramblings though. I wish not to barrage you with the intricacies of my own faith.” She chuckles at this, a marked event as she stretches her neck upwards, the flash of red running up the vulnerable skin an indication to the full stretch of the art adorning her skin like a canvas of piety.

Though their beliefs were certainly divergent, and the trappings of their respective faiths different in marked — drastically so, observing the handiwork of the artistry upon her body — Yasel could both relate and appreciate a sort-of kindred connection with Makara. Though borne of different circumstances and reared upon worldviews perhaps incompatible with the other, there was yet an intrinsic connection between the two on a spiritual level. Though she may yield the credit to her own divines, Althin wasn’t unconvinced that there was something special about this woman. It were as though Lady Rukka herself had placed her in his path for some reason; to what end remained to be seen. “Haillan,” he answered, then again in the Illewei tongue,” I find your presence here intriguing, I must confess. To travel so far from your homeland, to a country whose hospitality over the years has been less than forthcoming… Something must have piqued your curiosity to join this expedition.”

“I appreciate the honesty, Cleric Althin. From an outward lens, it must certainly seem more than a little confusing as to why a Bhikkhuni from so far away would travel without some greater calling. I’d like to call it a desire for experience, if anything.” Makara hummed with a melancholy bliss, as if reminiscing to her vibrant flower gardens and the cries of songbirds flitting throughout the Gereja.”There is so much to find in the world that we have made our home. So much to inspire, to mystify, to resolve, and I thought that perhaps here, amongst the towering evergreens and a faith not my own, I would have the opportunity to experience some of it, to embrace a form of, ah, ‘ascension’, with this new experience.”She knew that this wasn’t her only motive, the tasks that had demanded her presence still a secretive list in the back of her mind, but she knew this to at least be truth in full. While she may not have expanded truly to her own methods of approaching such ‘ascension’, she could at least assume her phrasing would make the dream seem far more comforting to the priest.

Whatever secrets Makara may hold, they went undetected (or undisturbed) by her Anaryssian counterpart. Yasel accepted her response at face value, acknowledging again a kindred relatability with her response. It was not unlike the motivation that had drawn him into the Cauzen years before, finding solitude in the great writings of the faith in his isolated abode. Truly, there were mysteries to unravel in the high, desolate ruins of Caemden, or else he would not be going. Still, that a stranger to these lands could find such value was certainly a fascinating turn. It again prodded Yasel’s spirit, to know that his own beliefs, even prejudices against outsiders was forming a woefully-incomplete worldview in his mind. “I would imagine that you shall find the experience you are looking for ⁠— the mountains of Western Cynereth are not without their majestic splendor. They’re also not for the timid; something dwells in the mountains here. A spiritual awakening of sorts, but also a crucible that strips away all frivolity. It is a spiritual place, but it is certainly not for the timid.”

With the gentle warning, a suggestion of caution and struggle, Makara couldn’t help but allow her smile to grow, her gaze still warm, but a spark of daring satisfaction shining through at such an indication of trial. “Oh, I would prefer it no other way. The greatest beauties are earned, in my own experience.” Flashes of such memories played by in the back of her mind; the momentum of her palm crashing into the solar plexus of a sex trafficker and the enthralling crunch of bones that had followed, the burning sting of screaming muscles as she tracked the aspiring drug dealers for the third day straight amidst the thick jungle, her fingers running over the smooth wood of her first bo staff that was hand carved and made for her hands only. She looked once more at Yasel, her smile a tinge more playful than gentle now. “I didn’t achieve the moniker of Nakkha Uhlam by submitting to adversity, after all.” She looked at the car that waited not far away, the look in her eyes still warm, but certainly tinged with some form of satisfaction.

“Indeed,” the Anaryssian Cleric answered, bowing slightly in deference to his counterpart as they approached the sedan in the open-air hangar. He motioned for the uniformed security waiting by the vehicle to open the rear passenger door before turning back towards Makara. “Unfortunately, this is where we part company for now. Your escorts will make sure that you get settled in at your lodgings; the banquet to mark the start of the expedition is scheduled for 5 PM local time. Our flight will depart several hours later, assuredly after half of the team is buzzed from ritzy champagne and the accoutrements of wealth Laeleath has afforded the occasion.”

“Of course. It has been quite the pleasure being introduced you, Cleric Althin. I look forward to having opportunities to discuss amongst one another in the near future. Perhaps after the others have enjoyed their, ‘ritzy champagne’.” She chuckled at the note, a subtle note that perhaps such indulgence wouldn’t be a fond activity of the cleric before her, a stark contrast in their faiths if proven true. “Air Hangat, Yasel.” a polite bow followed the formal goodbye, as she waited in turn before she would enter the vehicle.

Sa majes, Makara,” Althin responded in kind. “Until this evening.”

Makara smiled once more at the polite conclusion, entering the vehicle with a brief acknowledgement to the driver and security as she resigned herself to a reflective ride to the lodgings. She gave a polite wave to the cleric from the car window, before pulling a weathered, jewel-encrusted journal out from her satchel, and wrote in her native Raji the name of the cleric, underlining it twice. “Not the worst first impression.”

"It is amazing how complete is the delusion that beauty is goodness."
Leo Tolstoy
NO HATE.- I -- L -- O -- V -- E -- U -NO FEAR.

THECONCORDANCEOFCYNERETH
PATHEAS CAISTUSAES CYNERETHESTHE GREATER ANARYSSIAN REALM

A New Member of the Roleplaying Region of Ajax.

IMPORTANTLINKS
Cynereth II Wiki|NS Factbook: Introduction|NS Factbook: Leadership|Roleplay Sign-Up Thread: Indomitable
POLITICALCOMPASS
Economic Left/Right: -4.13Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.92Party Affiliation: Democratic / Labour

STRONGLYOPPOSE
Bigotry, Communism, Fascism, Homophobia, Nazism, Political Violence, Racism, Sexism

STRONGLYSUPPORT
Egalitarianism, Environmentalism, Gender Equality, Freedom of Speech, Intellectualism, LGBT+ Equality, Meritocracy, Religious Tolerance

"Make life an art, rather than art from life." — David Gilmour, Lead Guitarist, Pink Floyd

Communist Xomaniax
Minister

Founded: May 02, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Communist Xomaniax » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:22 pm

Anthropology Research Sub-chamber
University of Kalapa
Union of Socialist People's Republics

An eye stared down at a stone tablet, the barest hint of carving on its corner invisible to the unconditioned. Dorje brought the magnifying lens closer and felt a cold sweat roll down his brow. Eyes wide, his pupils pinpricks, he saw what he hadn't seen before: a little hook on the first character, one that completely threw his translation out of wack. A firsthand account of an ancient king's assassination turned into so much less. He wasn't shot from his horse and fallen to death, he'd fallen from his house like he'd been shot. A bolt of lightning traveled up through his bowels into his chest. This had all been completely pointless.

I'm a fucking. . .

". . . idiot!" He roared, shattering the magnifying instrument on the desk, scattering the papers. His head sank into his hands. It took all of Dorje's strength not to break down and cry. All those twelve hour days wasted. Months of research and time flushed down the drain, and what did he have to show for it except a fat, steaming load of shit? A load of shit I'm going to have to answer for. He could see those cackling ghouls in the computer sciences wing now, could see Tenzin's fat, stupid fucking face now. They'd done what in he past few years? Made a tape with a thirty-five gig capacity instead of thirty-three? They'd get free vacations and a fat bonus for everyone on the team. Maybe even get a spot in the news.

Dorje laughed bitterly. That's all they could offer them at this point, that whole department's slew of bullshit projects had secured funding up through who knows how long? At least until we're supposed to have communism. He thought. His vape pen found it's way between his lips before he could register the thought, trembling hands working mechanically to light up. He watched the herb dance and burn in the chamber, the sweet, harsh smoke scorching his lungs. He blew out with a sigh and sank into the egg shape of his chair. He'd have to push back the project's deadline at least another few months. Again. A groan croaked out of his throat. His colleagues were going to skin him alive.

And you know what? I'll fucking deserve it.

Another drag from his pen took the tension out of his shoulders. It wasn't the first mistake he'd made, wouldn't be the last either. He'd just have to sell it to the rest of the budgetary committee. Yeah, that's it. He thought. These fragments were thousands of years old, in an extinct dialect of an extinct language. He'd been vague about the potential assassination, they were just expecting something noteworthy. His dark eyes cast a furtive towards the tablet's fragments. But what if had been killed? He'd have to go through the passage a few more times, see if there was anything else he'd missed. Maybe a horse trampled him. The thought made him snort. At least it'd make the news.

"The committee is meeting in ONE HOUR. Would you like to postpone?"

His virtual assistant's chipper, smiling face appeared on his computer screen, big eyes staring at nothing at all. It took the form of a young woman, conventionally pretty with pale, unblemished skin and sharp, fox-like features some perverted egghead in the technology department's development wing clearly had too much fun developing. The idea was to create a friendly, human-like interface for people to interact with at a food kiosk or ATM. The cutesy, cartoonish gimmick was supposed to make it friendly to kids, too. He found it to be garish and more than a little creepy. He and the rest of the department were supposed to use it to "help the thing learn". Personally, Dorje just thought someone out there was fucking with him.

"No. I'll be there."

The assistant giggled. "I understand PROFESSOR NYIMA. I went ahead and sent a confirmation email. Have a great day!" It said, the character model giving a crude wink and thumb's up. A moment later and it blinked out of existence. Dorje enjoyed the silence, sinking deeper into his seat. There was a lot of work to be done. He rummaged through the drawers of his desk until he found his little orange bottle and fished out half a dozen pep pills. He crushed them up on the table and brought the dust to his nose, the bitter rush sending tingles through his body. He was focused now. That's good, he figured, plenty of time to clean up.

Field Research Committee Meeting Room
One hour later. . .

The meeting room gave Dorje headaches. The deep blue paint of the concrete floor bled gradually into the sky blue of the curved upper walls and domed ceiling. The smiling visages of the Union's leaders seemingly casting their gaze downwards at the mere peons gathered around the long, silver table. It made the professor feel adrift at sea. The meeting itself didn't help, most of the itinerary comprising of bureaucratic details that probably didn't require a full vote. Dorje kept his hands in his lap and his face still, his demeanor one of a reserved, but attentive, listener.

". . . and so, the planning committee believes if we postpone renovations to the outdoors meeting hall until after winter, it would free up labor-hours and funds to go elsewhere in the budget." The chairman cast an eye in his's direction. He couldn't mean. . . Dorje thought.

"That means that we now have a surplus in our coffers we need to spend before the next budgetary cycle. Any ideas on what we should spend the labor points on?" Another mischievous look from the chairman. If the old man was sitting any closer, he'd probably have nudged the professor with his elbow. A giddiness crept up into his chest. He couldn't be referring to the Cynereth expedition, could he?

"I'm afraid not, comrade chairman." He cast an eye around the table at the other committee members. Their neutral expressions betrayed no meaning. He decided to play his cards close to his chest.

"Really?" The chairman asked in an exaggerated tone. "Not even one single idea? You haven't gotten anything in your email that might spark something?" The chairman laughed, the committee following suit. He was talking about Cynereth.

"Are you telling me that you're going to send a team to Caemden?" He asked, almost incredulously.

"Not a whole team, no. You'll have to leave some of the budget for the rest of us. Are you interested?" The chairman asked, his tone not leaving much room for argument. Not that Dorje would have argued in the first place.

"All in favor of sending Dorje and a couple assistants on the expedition?" The chairman asked. The other members of the committee raised their hands.

"Well then, it's unanimous. Nyima, pack your bags. Your flight to Remirah leaves tomorrow. Enjoy the Imperial See, make sure to tell us if you see any beggars shitting in the street." That elicited a hearty round of laughs from the committee members, and for once Dorje joined in.

Eternal Father of the Revolution Muunokhoi Khan International Airport
Kalapa, Union of Socialist People's Republics

Dorje was relieved when his number was finally called. He'd waited probably no more than thirty minutes but to him it felt like hours. The minute he approached the kiosk the screen blinked to life. The digital face of Repa, the cutesy, anthropomorphic snow lion greeted him. The familiar footage of the character sticking her hand out looped over and over, PLEASE INSERT PASSPORT flashing in bright red letters.

"Hi, I'm Repa! Please insert your passport into the designated slot!" She said, her tone all bubbly sweetness.

"Hi Repa, I'm Dorje. . ." The professor muttered to himself, scarcely paying attention. He followed the cartoon lion's directions and watched the green laser scan his passport. The looping image changed to the cartoon character dressed in an inspector's uniform. She clutched a huge magnifying glass and poured over a passport, her face fixed in tight concentration. Underneath her the word SCANNING flashed in bold yellow. Suddenly the image changed to Repa wiping sweat from her brow and gesturing towards the screen, passport in hand. PLEASE REMOVE PASSPORT flashed in green. He removed his from the slot and carried on through the now unlocked gate.

He hurried through the enormous complex and soon found his terminal. Waiting there were his assistants, both doctoral candidates journeying with him in order to finish their respective theses. The man, though compared to Dorje he looked more a boy, firmly shook his hand.

"How's it going, professor?" The man asked.

"Things are good, Duga." Duga was a student of his, well on his way to graduating and a teaching job. "Who's your friend?" He asked, gesturing towards the woman. She too shook his hand.

"My name's Padma, professor. Padma Tsemo. I'm a doctoral student in the botany department. I'm going with you to study the flora of the mountain region." She gestured widely with her hand. "The ancients there lived in a region not to dissimilar from our own, and I'm hoping that seeing how they adapted the local plant life might shine a light on how our own ancestors got started."

"That's very interesting." Dorje said, genuinely impressed. He cast an eye towards the flight board hanging on the wall. Their plane was just getting ready for boarding.

"Are we all ready then? No last minute food or restroom breaks?" Dorje asked. The two declined, and soon the entire group was off. The professor soon found himself nestled into the plane's plush seats, a drink in hand. The captain came in over the intercom and informed them that the plane was now leaving. No sooner did he speak that Dorje felt the plane begin to lurch forward. He pulled a packet from his coat pocket and tore it in half, nearly dropping the sleeping capsules that fell out. The professor crushed them in his mouth and washed it down with a glass of lemon brandy. He closed his eyes and rested his hands on his chest, content to sleep through the uncomfortably long journey.
MT: Democratic People's Republic of Phansi Uhlanga
FT: Ozun Freeholds Confederation

tren hard, eat clen, anavar give up
The strongest bond of human sympathy outside the family relation should be one uniting working people of all nations and tongues and kindreds.

Return to International Incidents