NATION

PASSWORD

Grasping Power | IC | [Interstellar Winds]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yasuragi
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 24, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Yasuragi » Sun May 12, 2019 4:26 pm

There was no response from the units, who turned in unison to dissipate into the crowd. Bittersweet Sun [Son] had already departed, turning its attention elsewhere in the dome. As Solan watched, Thesh began clearing the transcript of the conversation, line by line disappearing, before ending with a quiet chime as the screen retracted back into the ceiling. They were alone, or as alone as they could get in the darkened cavern. Welcoming light shone from the tunnel they had taken back, the nature scenes continuing to play on an eternal loop, before fading to black behind them as they passed.

The conversation had given Bittersweet Sun [Son] much to contemplate. Not too much; Solan had been cautious, sidestepping questions where possible. He had mentioned the Carasi as a possibility, strong enough evidence that he was not truly considering them. They were a good candidate race, albeit not without their problems, so for Solan to mention them meant he likely had another candidate in mind. But which one, was the question. It examined its memories of the meeting, viewing it a few dozen times from different perspectives, pondering Solan's phrasing and terminology. It would be useful information for the Seven, regardless.

The emotional appeal of friendship amused Bittersweet. It knew Solan had no such emotions; the Xyn was as calculating as he was old. The offer of friendship was a ploy. It could not have been legitimate - the Xyn befriending a collective mind of five thousand insectoid units? An unlikelier proposal had not been presented to it in decades. The mere concept was ludicrous. And yet, appealing. Oddly. It would be foolish to not acknowledge the underlying appeal, the 'yearning of the heart's desires' as the Terrans might say, despite the great dangers involved.. Appealing enough to risk Solan learning the truth about itself? Likely not.

So: a ploy. Solan had lost his touch in dealing with nonhumanoids. The Carasi were clearly not his choice, leaving precious few options. The Urqa were an unlikely possibility given their strenuous lack of aligned moral codes. Most other races were too small or contrarian for Solan to risk supporting them. That left... Bittersweet Sun [Son] considered the options. The Shiypatsan, and the Ravnikai. Likely the Ravnikai. That would be a difficult one to counter. The Ravnikai could play on much sympathy from within the Drudari, promise to support the Carasi, and scrape up a few other votes here and there - say, from the Urqa, with the promise of some territory.

Yes, the Ravnikai would be his most likely choice. And a rather unpleasant option, given their general loathing for both the Drudari and the Ternary. Grateful to the Xyn for elevation, distrusting of the Seven for harboring the Bright Roost, and angry at the other two Elder races. It had to almost admire the ingenuity. Ah, but there was potential to capture two objectives with one move. It would need to move quickly.

First, a message to Red Feather:

Proceed to open lines of communication with Carasi ambassador with the intention of discussing the Carasi bid for the open Council position. Inquire as to general Carasi thought with regards to the Drudari vis a vis Drudari-led political initiatives and efforts. Personal opinions of ambassador are irrelevant, but desire information on Carasi government objectives and viewpoint.

Bluntly inquire to the Carasi ambassador what resources or concessions she and her government would require for their loyalty. Culture is heavily based on openness of providing resources for deference. See if said approach works favorably at your discretion. Do not assent to a finalized agreement beyond previous discussions. Lack of success is not failure.

The approach was heavy-handed, intentionally so. The Carasi might find its offer insulting, but it was highly likely they would provide, whether indirectly or directly, their views on the Drudari in the process -- and also a counter-offer to buy Seven support. Red Feather's failure was nearly guaranteed, but the information of the encounter would give Bittersweet Sun [Son] much to consider. If it succeeded, then all the better. The next message would be more interesting, and far more likely to fail utterly, given the personalities of the ones involved. Still, an effort should be tried, and if all failed, at least valuable diplomatic resources would be exhausted on their ends. A minor, minuscule benefit, but there was little else to do. The situation had to be addressed eventually; why not now?

Honorable Ambassador Utpish Kuyshiz-tsa Muzh; blessings unto the Muzhpatsa Clan and its many children. Devout Ambassador Sadavyr Turayn Idar; may the Heavenly Triad guide your course.

Let us not waste words. A time of great tension is upon us. The Galno Basin, home to each of our polities, is not large enough to constrain the ambitions of your two governments. The battle for dominance has no doubt spread to include the struggle ongoing to be anointed the next Elder race. Such a position would grant substantial powers and responsibilities to the race receiving it, requiring dedication and commitment to the higher principles each of our polities value greatly. Neither of your governments wish the other to succeed. Your opposition to each other denies an opportunity that ensures neither gains the prize, but instead wins a new one - not as great, but more assured than a risky gamble.

Neither of your nations will declare open conflict, for fear of Assembly intervention against the aggressor. Let us then meet, to discuss a path towards prosperity - although I do emphasize, not peace. That would be unsustainable, and I shall not offer either of you insult in pretending it is a possibility.

Prosperity, then. A chamber within the Assembly dome has been reserved for our initial discussion.

All three messages were delivered by Thesh immediately, appearing on the datapads of the ambassadors - or their close attendants, as protocol dictated.
Last edited by Yasuragi on Sun May 12, 2019 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Sun May 12, 2019 5:01 pm

Xyn Gyrosphere Terminal
Amity, Interstellar Space.

The ride on the gyrosphere had been quiet. Too quiet. Solan was heartily drinking from a pitcher of water. His fingers, all fourteen, were submerged in the liquid. He himself was content, yet tired. And his day was not yet to be over. First the Carasi, then Bittersweet, and it dawned on him (mainly because he had received a message) that the Ravnikai were in his offices now. He needed this drink.

Meyenii stood at her station as always, but she was ashamed. She had dishonoured herself. She had made a mockery of her station.

"I did not mean to do that, Lord Councillor. I would ask for a thousand pardons. Please do not replace me." Her pigmentation was intense and orange of embarrassment.

The sucking of the liquid stopped. He was still silent.

"I am not going to replace you." Was finally said. "Mistakes have been made. And you shall atone."

It was the most pleasant of feelings when the outside was visible again. It was even more pleasant when the gyrosphere re-entered the Xyn dome. Solan was already floating his way out of the cabin before Meyenii spoke to him again.

"The artifacts, First Awoken?"

Anchor the sphere and leave them there, we cannot retrieve them now. Not with others present."

The Councillor Offices and Apartments of Brugmansia Solanaceae

"I am pleased to inform you, ambassador, that the Councillor is on his way. Did you fill out any of those forms? I'd appreciate it if you can submit them to me. A simple message will do fine." Maculatum stated. His purple highlights shone in their natural colour and he got up from the councilor's desk and returned to work elsewhere within the apartments.

It was not long after that Solanaceae had arrived, floating in with little concern for what might be in his way. He deftly navigated around the plants and fountains, the bushes and the water features, before gracefully descending down into his chair. "I apologise for the delay, Ambassador. I had business elsewhere." Meyenii took her place beside him, the halberd extending out to its full height in ceremonial purpose.

"Well, down to business. I trust Maculatum offered you drink and food, I hope so. Regardless, if not, it shall arrive. Anyway, anyway." Winds, he grew tired. He wished to meditate, but work had to be done. "I've summoned you here for a talk. Much like I have done for others. I have much to understand and comprehend from you. Do you Ravnikai desire the Councillorship? Does it interest you, do you feel as if it is an item that you deserve, given your turbulent history?"

For what he hoped would be the last time today, his mind wandered and soared. Looking. Feeling. Deciphering. Aiming to comprehend.

"Tell me all of that and more. I am... interested."
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Mon May 13, 2019 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Kisinger
Senator

Founded: Oct 26, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby Kisinger » Sun May 12, 2019 7:01 pm

The Fighting Arenas, Amity, Interstellar Space
Zhis sat with the three other Shiypatsa as all hunched over their personal communicators while a fight between a monstrous Ravnikai and Urqa.

"The Chirrin seems to believe that we can agree to something with the Pavitla, other than killing each other." Bitlpa spoke clearly to the other four around him, before taking a sip from his glass on the black table. The room still seemed to remain silent while the others contemplated the message itself. "Well?" He asked, "What are your thoughts or even anything?" Even after this question the room still hung in silence, Zhis himslf was still contemplating the message itself wondering what exactly was necessarily mutually beneficial.

Kuybu spoke, "At least the Chirrin realizes war is inevitable between the Clans and the Pavitla." The words hung in the hair for a moment before the ancient monk moved to rest his hand on the table, "We could at least attend to see what the Chirrin says, though we likely will not like it." The monk spoke wisely and as tradition dictated his opinion head considerable weight even among those appointed directly by the Utzhpatsa.

"Attendance could be seen as a form of weakness." Vitla said as he stood straight and an audible crack was heard, "Granted I'm doubtful of that notion and you could find some valuable information on what the intentions of the Chirrin are." the old ambassador stood and walked over to the large screen broadcasting the fight, he visibly tensed up as the Ravnikai was thrown across the arena.

Zhis bowed as he looked up from his communicator, "Attendance sounds to be the right course of action." Kuybu bowed in acknowledgment as did Vitlpa

"I will ready the suits then." Bitlpa said, standing and bowing as he headed to the airlock to ready the environmental suits and to inspect them.

Mus, the youngest of all the Shiypatsa in the room looked up at Zhis, "Need me to come along and assist you?"

Zhis rose from the table bowing to the ancient monk and old ambassador before standing and leaving, "No I will not nor will I ever need your assistance." Bitlpa helped Zhis into his environmental suit as the two prepared to head to the Assembly Dome. Before leaving he would send a quick message.

Honorable Ambassador Bittersweet Sun,

I will agree to attend this meeting and look forward to discussing this 'opportunity.'

Hail Clan Muzhpatsa

Assembly Dome, Amity, Interstellar Space
Zhis walked in silence as he continued to contemplate the message and the meaning of the message itself, as they neared the chamber Bitlpa stepped ahead of Zhis to open the door to the Chamber that had been reserved for them. Zhis entered the chamber and as he looked around he realized he had arrived early as it was empty, he would proceed to stand and wait for the arrival of the other Ambassadors.
Nanatsu no Tsuki wrote:Don't you dare take my other 75% orgasm. I'm a greedy womyn, influenced by the cold hard erection of the patriarchy.

"First rule of leadership: everything is your fault." ~ Bug's Life

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Mon May 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Museum of National History, Cultural District
Drudari Mega-Dome, Amity

Áthulé stood stoic, her hands clasped together behind her back, as the Ambassadress spoke to her. She studied the facial expressions of the Young One intently, as she spoke of Carasi legend and folksy translations of truth. Even as the former pirate mentioned the destruction of Ravnikor, Áthu held her nerve; even when she heard the screams once more. Sevali's point was clear, of course, throughout her spiel; support the Caras to atone for the past, forsake any hope of reunification. As the Ambassadress concluded, the Lady of Dhávuve widened her eyes and allows her ears to relax from their strained state. Taking a deep breath, she brushed her long locks of hair behind her shoulders, and placed a hand atop the Fallen's shoulder.

"I always appreciated the beauty of your post-modern folklore" Áthulé remarked, unaware of the snark of her comment. "Yes, it adds a sweet sense of destiny - fate, what have you - to a story of schizophrenic depression."

The Councillor pulled her hair behind her ear, and shuffled her feet on the spot. "Folk tales and tourist trap histories aside, however, you make a compelling case" the Councillor proceeded, aware of the light that filled the Ambassadress' eyes as Lady Áthulé toyed with her opponents expectations, hoping to subvert them. The Councillor relented, and continued. "I consider it bad faith to deliver falsehoods to a sister, however."

As Áthu finished her sentence, she heard the screams of the Ravnikai once more. The screams of a hundred thousand souls, crying out in anguish and agony. It wasn't my fault Áthu told herself. I didn't know. The Councillor felt her consciousness adrift, far behind the museum, at Ravnikor once more. She saw a thousand miles of ash and blood, a city leveled to dust and tears. Ravnikai corpses littered the ground, as frantic souls scattered to survive the cataclysm. Shell after shell crashed from outer space, as she saw the Drudari and Ternary fleet in combat above. Herself a captain, a commander, aboard a ship which gave the order to fire.

Na'Ludôch snapped back to reality, her mind still in pain. She hid the pain and the suffering, and carried on, suppressing the anguish of her soul as she had done for eighty-five years.

"Sister, my sister, I will not impart false knowledge unto you" the embattled Councillor re-stated, her voice picking up. "We are distressed that you left; distressed that you felt you had to leave. We offer you charity, mercy and good faith. We offer you a safe return to your old home, and we offer you a safe reunion with your kindred and kin. We offer you much; and I assure you, were it up to me alone we would offer you far more."

Lady Áthulé embraced a light scowl before continuing. "I am afraid to tell you that we do not offer what you already have, hate it though you might. I already possess your seat at this table, sister, and I am afraid to say that is never going to change. I do not act as a lone wolf, and I would not desire to. My sister, there are Senators who this very moment clamor and campaign to reintegrate your kind with fire and blood. They are pitiful folk who will never understand; in that regard, that much, I can find with you common ground. Yet they my brothers and sisters too, and they hold a great deal of power. We fend them off, yes, but we would not be able to uproot them."

"My sister" the Lady of Dhávuve continued, "in this there is nothing I can do. Politics is more complex than kind words and shared experiences." Áthu sighed, relenting for a moment to allow herself to recover. "My hands are tied, sister, and though I would find a favourable voice on the Council more than appealing, the means to achieve it are not within my grasp. The Senate would prefer a candidate they cannot see their own reflection in so clearly."

The Councillor once more let out a great sigh. "But that there were another way, sister" she remarked.
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 08, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Mon May 13, 2019 1:18 pm

Drudari Mega-Dome, Amity

The light in her eyes, those vivid violet eyes, had all but faded away. Only a glimmer of hope remained in them, though Sevali could not help but notice that Áthulé had seemed perhaps a bit distracted. She wouldn't conduct any sort of mental probe, each had their own and it might not necessarily be her business to invade in such a way. Perhaps, then, she recalled some event? Or perhaps an opposition to all of it? Something that rested in her mind and gave her deep consideration, something that Sevali perhaps did not want to see, and certainly something she did not wish Sevali to see. It was curious, but ultimately Áthulé's own business.

"My hands were tied once, too, Sister." Sevali made a gesture in such a fashion, "When I scraped my way up from the dregs and slums to that piracy that I thought correct. I swore my very self to a captain to be induced in her circles, her work, her experiences. I dedicated many years to that all, assured that it would get me where I needed to go, even if it was not always the cleanest thing. I was wrong, and I would not wish you to follow in my mistakes."

With this, Sevali moved back to her previous, more neutral stance, hands crossed behind her back in a fashion quite similar to Áthulé. She heaved a sigh, "Sister, there is a way, you know. Perhaps you've got influential people breathing down your neck. Trust me, I know how that feels. I had, at that point, the warrior experience and military rank still nominally in effect to stand against them, and I had the support of my Primarchousa. Perhaps you don't have all the...luxuries, I suppose, that I did when I made my move. Perhaps you cannot provide any open support, no matter how sympathetic I may be to your causes, because of their assimilationist positions. I'd say to argue that having two of your kind on the council should be of no issue to your interests, but I know they care not, because it's about crushing us like we were so long ago more than it is about the rights of anyone or bettering anything."

"But," she continued, "There is still a way. You, Sister, hold an innumerable amount of soft power within the Assembly. Your will be done, you have also wisely left it to the general population to vote instead of the Elders. You don't have to make any official statement of support at all, only one that accepts the decision of an assembly that was 'out of your control' as far as anyone is concerned. By all means, this is not a betrayal of anything that has been set forth. You have made no contract with them, you have sworn no oaths to them, you don't even seem to enjoy them particularly. Through the use of this...this soft power, you may find yourself able to overcome their pettiness and express yourself against their will, while obliging them that your official stance remain unchanged."

Sevali reached out one gloved hand to meet Áthulé, resting on the Drudari elbow or forearm moreso. Her touch was soft and delicate, gentle, faint, even dainty, one might never have guessed that she had once been a battle-worn marauder. Though, the exquisite quality of her gloves might contribute to this, the buttery-soft and smooth texture emphasizing each quality of her touch, and the aesthetic itself might impart such thoughts. Was this, perhaps, the unspoken reason for them? Clever girl.

"Sister, I appreciate your forthright honesty with me. You are a woman of such character, as am I. You are, I hope, well aware that I am bound by oaths I take, that I do not take them lightly, and that I always see them fulfilled. This is my honor, as a woman of such character, and as a member of the Caras. My station relies on my ability to conduct such affairs successfully and consistently. I would, Sister Áthulé, make no exception for you in all of this."

Sevali left her hand on Áthulé's arm, and looked up to her with those big doe-like vivid violet eyes of hers. Although Áthulé had no pupils, the way that Sevali looked to her one might think she saw a direct center where nobody else did. Eye-to-eye, heart-to-heart, coin-to-purse.

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Mon May 13, 2019 5:22 pm

The Ambassador's factorum was not an unpleasant fellow. The forms and decorum were, of course, extra but there were far more unpleasant things to encounter. Like being disconnected from the Foremind or the thought of being erased. Cracked Beak handed the fellow his forms and waved off the offer refreshments. He spent the rest of the time in communion with the Foremind. When the ambassador arrived, his being returned. Solan took his seat, after gliding across the room. He was followed by his guard, or assistant. It was hard to tell at times, nor was it uncommon for such roles to merge in many cultures.

"Well, down to business. I trust Maculatum offered you drink and food, I hope so. Regardless, if not, it shall arrive. Anyway, anyway." Winds, he grew tired. He wished to meditate, but work had to be done. "I've summoned you here for a talk. Much like I have done for others. I have much to understand and comprehend from you. Do you Ravnikai desire the Councillorship? Does it interest you, do you feel as if it is an item that you deserve, given your turbulent history?"

Straight to the point it seemed. And opening with the pity and entitlement claims. Interesting. It wasn't the route that the League wanted pursued, at least not at first. To paint oneself as the victim risked ruining any rightful sympathy being an oppressed minority might conjure. Better to let others feel sympathy on their own than to shove it down their throats. The last thought was not really his own, but rather the unconscious belief of his predecessors.

Of course we desire the Councillorship. To say otherwise would be a blatant and flagrant lie. We doubt there are many states, barring perhaps single system nations, that would turn down the Councillorship if offered. If offered, we would gladly accept the mantle. But the mantle is not offered. The League still desires the seat, but it does not desire it with abandon. The is not the end but the means. The means to a safer, stabler, more prosperous galaxy. The League is perhaps the most widely distributed member of our Assembly. Billions of our flock reside in other nations, from the Ecumene to the Shiypasta. Citizens of the League or not, we Ravnikai are everywhere. It is in the interest of our people that all nations prosper, that galactic society stays stable and ever at peace. We are aware, perhaps more than most, of the dangers that a galactic war brings. We don't deserve the seat because of the Ravaging. But we would serve the galaxy well in that capacity, if only, but not solely, because it would benefit ourselves.

Second of Bright
Amity, Interstellar Space

Red Feather read the message from Bittersweet Sun again. It was...going to be an interesting conversation to say the least. Open lines of communication with the Carasi was fine and normal. Being so open about bribery was less so. Another Ravnikai may have balked at the act, but Red Feather was born Bright and understood the whims of the Seven well enough. And his vaunted Ravnikai moral compass was aberrant at best. Bribery was just another word for incentives and bribery was the lubricant that made bureaucratic machinery move. As a particularly large cog in one of the biggest political machines in the Galaxy, he understood that more than most. He had, afterall, taken a large amount of incentives from domestic and xeno companies to be a particularly slow cog. Delaying laws and regulations was fine by him, as obstruction was the name of the game for the Bright Roost. The Seven ordered them to be a spanner in the works of the Council. It was no harm that he made some cash for his Nest on the side. It pained him to see the Council being expanded. A new player on the council wouldn't be so prone to inaction as this council was. In fact, Red Feather rarely had to be the sole obstructionist. Usually the United Planets or the Hierophancy would drag their feet. But new blood, no new blood might galvanize action. And action would shake lose the very comfortable tree that the galaxy currently nested in. Nonetheless, orders were orders. He was, after all, a Proxy.

Through his viewscreen, he sent a message to the Carasi Ambassador, one Lady Sevali T'anas. The Bright Roost was well aware of her, their memories and feelings of her filling Red Feather's mind as soon as he thought of her. She was a noted micromanager, yet seemingly competent at it. Didn't seem to have any aberrant tendencies so hopefully she would be susceptible to incentives. He fired off a message to her office, inquiring as to when she would be available for a face-to-face meeting and if she would so kindly visit the Second of Bright Roost when she was free for such a meeting.
Last edited by The Holy Dominion of Inesea on Mon May 13, 2019 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm really tired

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Thu May 16, 2019 5:53 am

"Of course we desire the Councillorship. To say otherwise would be a blatant and flagrant lie... The League is perhaps the most widely distributed member of our Assembly... It is in the interest of our people that all nations prosper, that galactic society stays stable and ever at peace... But we would serve the galaxy well in that capacity, if only, but not solely, because it would benefit ourselves."

"Are the Ravnikai in Drudari space not served by the Drudari Councillor? And surely if they are not, then I would say your kind are already represented and spoken for on the Council by my esteemed colleague and friend: 'Red Feather' " Solan asked. There was no maliciousness in his tone. His suit shone a cool blue. He was being genuine. "I can go on, but you understand my point.". Yet there lacked a certain charm to this. Whilst he was tired and yearning for a break, this lack the substance of the intellectual duel he felt he had had with Bittersweet. Nor did it have with it the beautiful and rigorous protocol and diplomatic undertones that his conversation with Sevali had had.

"It matters to me, of course, that you would so willingly declare the Ravnikai has being able to better everyone. Yet you admit this is a sense of practicality for your own people." Solan did not like that. "And the races were there are no Ravnikai? Are they of little concern to you?" The Councillor needed to pry, his own mentality required him to squeeze out every bit of information he felt he could possibly get. "I would hope not, Ambassador."

At this, Pelamis strode forth into the room once again. Here he came with an immense glass, that resembled more a fine piece of art than any reasonable vessel. It was wide bottomed, with a thinning middle and widening top that made it resemble a squashed hourglass. Within, shards of ice and a deep blue shaded water. Cut up fruit was present inside, in rings of flavour and colour and sweetness. Two sticks of a spice stuck out from the centre of the glass. The Xyn councillor, noting that Cracked Beak had cared not for refreshments, stuck his suited hand into the drink and began to absorb its contents. All the while he stared at the ambassador.

"And would you not feel Ravnikor's destruction would not play into some... game of obstruction, or malicious compliance, against the Drudari and United Planets?"
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Thu May 16, 2019 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Interstellar Winds Admin
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Interstellar Winds Admin » Thu May 16, 2019 4:55 pm

With a gentle chiming sound and a warm glow from datapads across Amity - or at least those tuned and subscribed to official channels - an official overlay appeared, detailing the breakout of the second vote. At the same time, Thesh spoke quietly through the announcement systems, repeating the same information. "Inconclusive. The Tetrarchy; one vote from the Ambassador of the Tetrarchy.. The Commune; one vote, from the Ambassador of the Commune....."

No one had won the vote. No one had even won a single additional vote beyond their own. The struggle would continue....

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Sun May 19, 2019 11:38 am

Amity, Interstellar Space

"Are the Ravnikai in Drudari space not served by the Drudari Councillor? And surely if they are not, then I would say your kind are already represented and spoken for on the Council by my esteemed colleague and friend: 'Red Feather' " ....... "I can go on, but you understand my point."

"It matters to me, of course, that you would so willingly declare the Ravnikai has being able to better everyone. Yet you admit this is a sense of practicality for your own people." ...... "And the races were there are no Ravnikai? Are they of little concern to you?" ....... "I would hope not, Ambassador."

"And would you not feel Ravnikor's destruction would not play into some... game of obstruction, or malicious compliance, against the Drudari and United Planets?"

"If we feared the Ecumene or the United Planets for the destruction and hell they rained upon Ravnikor, we would not have allowed our citizenry to emigrate to their nations in droves. And if our citizenry felt that they should still be held culpable for their actions, they would not have emigrated there in droves. The Ecumene have made amends for their actions, and perhaps today feel more affected by it than we. The United Planets has not apologized, but their actions were not truly born of malice. In their own, perhaps more alien than most, moral code, they feel they did us a favor. While some may not be able to forgive as is their right, the League has. It was the subject of deep consideration, reflection, and discussion, but move on we did. We acknowledge that the system, or lack thereof, is what caused the Ravaging, ultimately. And should the Ecumene or the United Planets feel some moral imperative to favor the League in whom they side with, so be it, but know that those actions are theirs alone.

It was painfully obvious to Cracked Beak that Solan was neither paying full attention nor cared fully for this conversation. It was tragically rude to invite a fellow Ambassador to talk only to be dismissive for the whole conversation. Yet it was a feeling he'd felt before, both in his own feathers and through the feathers of his forefathers. Irritating and rude, but part and parcel of the galaxy. Cracked Beak would ignore and dismiss it, unconsciously, for now.

"Perhaps the Ambassador misheard my statements. Such is the pains of age, I'm afraid. I did not declare the League as being able to better everyone more than anyone else. I said, and will say again, that the League would serve the galaxy well in that capacity and that we benefit from all nations prosperity. If we better some small part, it betters the galaxy. It's perhaps archaic to say, but a rising tide lifts all boats. And again Ambassador, I spoke the of the basest reasons for why the League would serve the galaxy well. 'If only, but not solely'. If you care to hear, the League does have more altruistic reasons to see a prosperous galaxy. The very ethos of our species is one of cooperation and peace. We've made peace with the Tetrarchy, we've made peace with the United Planets, we've made peace with the Ecumene. We helped unite the fractured nations of Sol and welcomed them and the Shiypasta to the Galactic Community. There were no Ravnikai there, yet care for them we did."

Cracked Beak paused for a moment. It was unfortunate that the meeting had gone this way, yet not entirely unpredictable. The other races were, after all, alien. One could never fully predict how they'd react. And while Solan's influence would be a major boon for the election, he himself had not votes to cast. It was time to meet with other, more amenable, parties.

"Not every Ravnikai is a citizen of the League but not every Ravnikai abroad is a citizen of another. Even disregarding members of our race abroad that are under the authority of other races, there are still many more of our own citizens traveling the stars. In fact it is the very freedom of travel enshrined in the Interstellar Assembly that has made it so easy for our Roosts and Nests to migrate through the heavens. Unfortunately Ambassador, I'm afraid my schedule calls me away. I thank you for your hospitality."

He performed a respectful Ravnikai tilt and withdrew from the Ambassador's quarters. Meanwhile, he reached out to his subordinates in the Foremind, instructing them to arrange meetings with the Shiypasta and the Tetrarchy. The two nations, perhaps polar opposites of the League, were nonetheless on good terms with them. Ministers contacted their opposites in each of the races respective embassies, politely inquiring as to when and where the ambassadors would be able to meet Cracked Beak or the esteemed Jet Black Sky Stream.
Last edited by The Holy Dominion of Inesea on Sun May 19, 2019 11:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm really tired

Krugmar
Minister

Founded: May 06, 2012
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Krugmar » Mon May 20, 2019 4:01 pm

Ambassadorial Manse
Ternary Dome, Amity

Artificial light began piercing his chamber, rousing a dazed and faint Thyssian noble. His limp groans to shut the blinds went unheeded. Anger began to flow through him, he was not used to his commands being unheeded.

"Slave, shut the damn blinds or you'll be on the first ship back to the foul flesh-markets of Teng." He said. It was not an empty threat, he had sent numerous disobedient or simply unlucky slaves to be remodelled at the grim home of the skin-shapers.

"I am not a slave my Lord, and I fear I must disobey your order. I fear Her far more than you." Replied a familiar voice, one that Halen had been hoping to avoid the sound of until the afternoon, at worst.

"Nujis, bastard, you overstep your mark. Did you send the slaves away?" He asked, pushing himself out of bed and letting the sheets fall away to expose an impressive body, albeit one Nujis had very little interest in. Nujis' shimmering eyes remained focused upon Halen's face, studying in detail the two new scars dragging across his left cheek.

"Poor things were exhausted. You never dismissed them and they remained rooted to their spots." He said, moving forward to study Halen's injury further as the Ambassador wrapped one of his sheets around his waist and yawned. "I see you were indulging yourself in your favourite sport, but your prey got away?" Nujis probed.

"Of course not." Snapped Halen, "She left a parting gift while I was momentarily occupied. Do you want to know every detail of my day and night or are you here for a purpose beyond bothering me."

Nujis smiled, though at Halen's comment or his misfortune he did not know. "Actually I would very much like to know why you have been absent at a time like this. There is potential for a new Elder Race to be elected, and She is very concerned that the right race is ascended, if one must be at all."

Halen shook his head, "Just deal with it yourself. The other Ambassadors are used to your presence by now."

"My words do not have your weight, we are absent from the Council so long as you refuse to do your job. She is very displeased." Nujis Replied, pressing several icons upon his datapad.

"If you were my creature I would be off this rock in days, but you serve some other's purpose, or have deluded yourself into thinking you orchestrate your own rise." Halen snapped, though his mood was slightly lifted when several of his slaves entered the room and began aiding him in the process of waking up.

"I want your position, and I want you off this rock. Do this job well and I am sure She will restore your to good graces. Your enemies at court are growing louder. I'm not your friend, but I'd advise you to hurry up and act the part of ambassador." Said Nujis, turning to leave.

"No, you're not my friend." Replied Halen, always eager to throw spite at the only man trying to aid him. He did not need Nujis' pity. In his mind Nujis was already dead, a man whose ambitions did not rise beyond trivial politics. Amity was not a centre of power, it was a place destitute of meaning or sense. The Drudari or Xyn might have seen it as a new beginning for the galaxy, but for the Thyssians it was a temporary ceasefire. Unfortunately for Halen he was stuck as a glorified negotiator, but that would soon change.

☵☰☵☰☵☰☵☰☵☰☵☰☵☰☵☰☵

The Ambassadorial Manse had always been a major part of the United Planet's Dome on Amity, taking up a great deal of room and dominating the skyline, but Halen's arrival had precipitated great change. He had immediately found it inadequate for a being of his greatness, ordering its expansion three days after arrival.

In the four years since then it had been expanded four times, having about tripled in size. Halen had also moved his offices and those of the bureaucracy to it. The unnatural pace of the expansions had left the building as a monster of differing designs and multiple visions. Those living in the station had started taking to calling it 'Halen's Folly', though few had the guts to speak that name to his face, and few kept said guts in their proper place if they did so.

Halen's office was vast, a monument to his indecisive nature as to what an office should contain. Some who stepped in believed they had entered a museum, seeing as Halen often plundered the Thyssian sections of Amity's museums to spruce up his personal space. Others believed they had entered a garish nightmare, the gaudy pad of a man with too much money and too few of his senses to understand the dystopia he was creating. Those who had the misfortune of having met Halen, or having visited before, knew that it was his place of work, though little work was accomplished by the deficient ambassador.

For once Halen was sat at his desk, attempting to use a system which for most was not complex, but for those learning to use it for the first time could be complex. This was his third time using it. Posted around the room were several slaves and guards, the latter being very necessary. There was not a man, woman, or other alien genders that Halen had not insulted or attempted to insult.

Today there was a reason to work. Envoys from ambassadorial races would likely come to seek his favour, and Nujis had drawn up a very short set of instructions on how to deal with each.

The envoys themselves were insignificant to Halen, as was this task. But it represented redemption and the chance to escape the barren rock. Rholosh forbid he would actually have to attend a meeting of the Elder Council soon, though Nujis' response earlier seemed to hint his days of deputising were over.

Redemption then, at any cost.
Liec made me tell you to consider Kylaris

Etruria2
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 11, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Etruria2 » Fri May 24, 2019 5:41 am

As Sadavyr and his senior team wrapped up their strategy, the data pad held by his chief aide came to life, passing it to the ambassador with a bowed head, the war veteran took it softly smiling as he did in thanks.

He swiftly read through the message from Bittersweet Sun [Son], noting that it had also been sent to the ambassador from the Shiypatsa Nation, the morass of tribal savages to Tal’Akdar’s galactic south. The same barbarian horde that denied the Holy World it’s room of natural expansion into the Galno Basin, unfortunate that he would need share physical space with such a being, but diplomacy asks much.

“The Seven request we attend a summit with the Shiypatsa, it would seem our neighbours in the Seven have doubts over our viability for elder status, least he correctly feels the same about those tribesman” Sadavyr sighed.

“An opportunity no doubt to sway the Seven” Lagatyr Tal Akdar Razshad, his principal strategic adviser smiled.

“Such efforts are best made in private I feel, but if they seek to deny both us and the savages elder status, then I am sure they are willing to provide some recompense. If not, then may all creation come to the realisation that the Seven are as unworthy of such power as the savages” Sadavyr pontificated as much to himself as his team.

“Are we to attend your Blessedness?” His chief aide inquired.

“Of course!” Sadavyr spat.

“With every opportunity comes progress and success and this is an opportunity we cannot throw away. We will hear the Seven, but keep working, best to keep the option of pursuing the status regardless” Sadavyr continued, receiving nods in acknowledgment from his team.

His aide swiftly compiled a response confirming the Tal’Akdari’s attendance, while two further aides collected data pads regarding the Seven and Shiypatsa, pads of great detail and analysis, naturally drawn from the Assembly, but also from more shadowy means.

Rising to his feet, the blue skinned and featureless Tal’Akdari diplomat straightened his white robes and ochre coloured sash and departed, may the Heavenly Triad guide his course.

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:26 am

Drudari Mega-Dome, Amity

A sigh left the her lips, as the eyes of herself and the Young One locked in contact. Áthulé brushed the hand of the Ambassadress away from her arm, and diverted her view to the work before them. She paused, for but a moment or so, to once more admire the work of Ithethvi One-Ear. She studied the canvas, now with the folklore of the cousins in mind, trying to find new meaning in the piece. She found only disappointment, and consistency.

"Do you know redemption, sister?" the Lady of Dhávuve inquired. "To come back from the brink of darkness, to return from the edge of the light..." she added, enunciating each word with perfect clarity until her voice quivered close to the end.

The Councillor turned once more to face Sevali, to meet her eye to eye. She knew full well that the Ambassadress could read her; that she could read the anguish within her mind and soul. Áthulé allowed her eyes glide across the Carasi pirate-turned-diplomat, studying her as she did, allowing her apparent vulnerability to work to her advantage. She placed her hand upon Sevali's shoulder, as she had done to her only moments ago, before continuing.

"I was lost once" she recalled, her eyes drifting towards the wall. "Young, impulsive. Yet manipulative and, as they told me, 'gifted'. I shouldered responsibility that far outweighed my age, far eclipsed my capability" she added, allowing her eyes to return to the Ambassadress. "I buckled, snapped, and I fell. I made a mistake, one that I have not yet forgiven myself for". The Councillor swallowed her breath, and allowed herself a moment's pause. "I am still working towards my redemption, sister. I am still working to right my many wrongs. That is my penance, that is my sentence. I do not adore it, but neither do I recant it" she continued, before once more giving pause. She sighed.

"Sister, take this not as a rejection of your capability, but as an affirmation of my belief" she remarked, before continuing. "This is an event in which I must exercise extreme caution, so that none should have to repeat my mistakes, my struggle".

Lady Áthulé sighed once more, before removing her hand from the Ambassadress' shoulder, and allowing herself to regain composure.

"Eldership is no gift, Young One, but a curse. One which can only be bared by those races with sin enough to justly desire penance, and justice. I do not doubt that our cousins have that same spark as ours, yet I must confide in you that I do not believe most would see it in the same light as ourselves" the Councillor said, her voice heavy with guilt of a sort. "Yet" she added, her voice lifting, "were an influential enough voice - mayhaps the Xyn, or Seven, or enough of your compatriots in the Forum - speak out on your behalf, the Senate might yet relent" she remarked, sighing as she finished. "I know this is not what you sought; but it is all that I can offer".

"I wish you luck in the days to come" the Councillor said, before pulling back from the Ambassadress.
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:30 am

Drudari Mega-Dome, Amity

"Do you know redemption, Sister?"

The question pierced Sevali, it caused her to freeze and consider. She might like to say that she did, indeed, know redemption - that her own personal story was some evidence of that. She'd very much like to say that all her diplomatic effort had redeemed her violent life before, that turning her nation away from piracy had eased the nightmares she suffered. She would like nothing more than to say she no longer felt burdened by that past, had moved on from the great psychic scream, and that her concern for her very self and soul was gone - that she'd felt secure in wherever the Winds took her. The unfortunate truth was that she perhaps never could, not fully.

Áthulé offered little, in the end. No official support, no private support, she only offered what Sevali already knew to be the plan. The conversation had, as far as Sevali cared, been more-or-less utterly fruitless. Áthulé had only restated what she herself had said only moments ago, though the diplomat couldn't help but carry on and at least respect her for trying, and for sharing something quite personal. "And may good fortune, and redemption, find you as the Winds take you." she replied at last, seeing the end of the conversation. She bowed, hand-over-heart, and began to walk off. Freezing for just a moment, she added - "and I hope you do not mind that I will be probing your guard for information about the whereabouts of my Yekxo."

And with that, the telltale click-clack took her away. Stopping at the doorway, she stared down the guard, a creature of size much larger than she, and stared him down. Mentally invading him, probing him, she poked at every corner she could find for any useful information. At last, she found it - Yekxo had quite simply been turned away at the door. Sevali scoffed and began her trip home at last, where hopefully Yekxo had already joined the rest.

Home, at last

Yekxo walked through the door, to find her three counterparts sitting around, idling. "She has already left, then?"

"Yeah"

With a sigh, Yekxo took a seat. "They turned me away. An absolute brute at the door, to be specific. I hope she doesn't suffer the same." With this, she began to get for herself a somewhat late meal. Remnants of what had been eaten already, quickly tossed in a bowl, and heated sufficiently. Sitting once more and digging into it with a spoon, the other girls began to talk.

"I wonder what they'll talk about" K'ari proclaimed, "Apart from the obvious."

"Probably bribes, or negotiations. She's good at getting what she wants," replied Thouka.

"Hey, we're getting something!" D'orale then called out, turning the screen to face the others and showing them the message. They all watched, and D'orale saw fit to send the 'official' reply of the office. Preparing the message, she simply said back:

"Apologies, Lord Red Feather, but T'anas is out of the office at the moment. As we speak, she discusses terms of support with the Drudari council. She should be available quite soon, and we will relay your request to her once she has exited her meeting. Thank you for your contact, and we hope you have a nice day."

It was fairly canned, but what could one expect? Sure, D'orale wanted to have a little bit more fun every time she answered, to be spooky or mysterious, to mess with the people that tried in earnest to get a response, but she also knew in her heart that it would be simply wrong to do so. Even taking into account that it'd be wrong, if she did it anyway, it might lead to a termination of opportunity in the future. She didn't sell herself to the Sevali T'anas for nothing, after all. It was a very active decision, one she'd rather not compromise any time soon by getting sent to be a maid instead. Oh despair, oh dread, oh how funny that weird mush Yekxo was eating sounded as she spooned through it.

A mental blip came up for Yekxo. Putting down the spoon, she muttered a few vague responses. The blip closed and opened for D'orale, who conveyed the message she had been given to the word. Sevali expressed her disappointment that she would not yet be home, but a hint of curiosity as well to what The Seven, or at the very least Red Feather, desired of her. Noting that, of course, the Ravnikai lived in very cold conditions, she prepared herself mentally for the trip. Not home quite yet.

Red Feather, turn on the heater

Sevali knocked on the door. She was already shivering somewhat, and her rather full outfit did little to keep the cold away. It was, after all, designed for a more tropical lifestyle, or at the very least a temperate one. Even knocking, the door felt as ice against her knuckles. Should she have brought a coat, perhaps? No, that'd have taken too much time. Come on, Sevali, you're a tough girl, you can handle a little bit of cold. It's not a little bit of cold, but you can handle it. Truly, you can, stop thinking about leaving, he hasn't even had time to answer the door yet. Maybe he'll have something to help? What if he doesn't? Oh, stop it, you'll be fine.

Interstellar Winds Admin
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 09, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Interstellar Winds Admin » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:21 pm

The Jade Garden Apartments, Interstellar Assembly
Helena Chao - GNN Reporter and Political Correspondent.

The Jade Garden Apartments loomed over her. To her human eyes and tastes, the buildings, which numbered in their dozens within the dome, could be described as baroque. They were ornate and extravagant, something she had come to see in the Ternary. Indeed, their veneer often came across as distaste to the Assembly -- they still had muscles to flex and points to prove. And art was a good a medium as any.

Their gate was imposing, with reminiscent and impractical - if not beautiful - iron and steel spears pointing upwards. Luckily she was a regular. Enough so that the normally attentive Thyssian, with her dark complexion and white hair, piercing eyes and stern demeanor, flashed her a quick smile. She had been here numerous times before Helena Chao was also one who wasn't easily deterred.

As the gates parted, she strode in, looking for the correct building.

In her hand she clutched a tea her own flask, in the other a tupperware of food. A fantastic device that actually cooked the food as she walked, rendering a beautifully prepared meal once she arrived. Though this was not for her. It smelled like meat and looked like meat, but was far more exotic than she could come to know. No, this was for her friend - Misun şe Tiji ceş Rhoja, who lived here in the Jade Gardens. Misun was a fan of this particular dish, which Helena herself couldn't pronounce, from a local street vendor in the dome. He was... nice enough, if a bit unpleasant when it came to her mere pointing at pictures online of what she wished to order.

Her little adventure was over quick and before long she came across Apartment Complex 6, a towering structure with a hundred homes. She had plenty of memories of this place. When she first joined the GNN some four years ago her first friend has been Misun. Misun had brought her here for a house party and the two had celebrated amongst mutual friends of their new found working relationships.

There was no doorman, merely an automated guard and a key-code to punch in to prevent intruders. She knew Misun's off by heart at this point and before her the glass doors parted to the pristine, chrome lobby. There were plants galore and fine rugs that resembled those one would imagine a Persian Shahanshah being the owner of. It always felt like a luxury coming here. They were far better than her own accommodation, a lower end apartment in the human quarter of the Xyn Dome. It was always far too meadowy for her liking and smelt strongly of the sun and flowers, something she wasn't particularly fond of every waking moment.

The lift ride was again filled with pleasant memory. She remembered nursing a hangover in this lift and bringing here a stranger she'd found at a club, rubbing shoulders with Misun who was in a similar predicament. She remembered coming up this elevator when she had a break in her story on the negative effects that chlorinated chicken had on the diet of all space faring races. It was such an odd concept. They taught you of aliens and their manners and general belief at school, or a brief course, but she could have never thought -- as a younger woman on Earth -- of ever coming to befriend one. Become best-friends with one. Yet her pleasant memories had turned to sadness quickly, as she also remembered this place as where Misun had cried when she was demoted from political correspondent, someone who rubbed shoulders with the elite and powerful, to merely writing reviews on restaurants and stores across Amity. She felt immensely guilty when a few weeks later she had been given her friend's role. Helena's memory also darted to the increasing amount of times that Misun had been drunk or hungover and irate in this elevator, walking into work with a scowl that little removed.

Misun's homely door was the first as the painful thought dispersed. She hadn't seen her friend since yesterday, as she had not come into work today. Assuming she had fallen ill, that was what the comfort food was for.

Crooking her fingers, she rapped against the door in her signature knock. There was no reply. In bed, perhaps? Having a nap? She smirked to herself and let herself in with a keycard she knew Misun hid beneath a specific rock in a nearby plantpot.

The door parted in every which way, casting her shadow into the dark corridor of the apartment. Still in her reporter's uniform her shadow came across as slick, suave and proper. The smell of alcohol overcame her quickly and she brought a hand to her face, almost spilling her tea as she did so. That was unlike Misun, to keep things dirty. Though... well, she was down recently...

Striding in, she peaked her head around ever corner. Her calls deteriorated from a cheerful 'Misun!' to '...Misun?' as every corner revealed no-... the smell became overpowering. Alcohol, sick, urine all at once barraging her senses. Her living room door opened to the bright blue hue of the only light being a computer's screen, before Helena lit the room up and immediately wished she hadn't.

The room was revealed in its dilapidation. Hundreds of empty glass bottles in varying sizes stood upright or toppled over. Unwashed plates piled every room, unwashed clothes stacked in a corner. Insects of all sorts, inadvertently brought aboard the station, crawled over the scraps and through the clothes. The monitor screen, taking up such a huge portion of the wall before her, shone bright blue -- with a text she quickly scanned over in blind panic as her complete attention was taken up by the armchair.

Sprawled across it, the lifeless body of a Thyssian woman. Her skin was black, but splotched and green. Her red eyes were rolled over and a faint pink now. Her hair was greasy and without form. Her hands slumped to either side of the chair, two shattered bottles beneath them both. Sick stained her mouth and her clothes, a battered and seldom-used uniform of the GNN's reporters. That was her uniform from the height of her career. Numerous journalist prizes were cradled beneath her armpits and around her person, some were unfortunately coated in that green sick.

Helena dropped the food, the tea and almost herself all at once before she darted over. Wiping away frantically at the sick she brought the limp body of her friend upright but all that did was cause blood to trickle down from her nose, saliva and sick to seep out of her mouth and her head to sway downwards. There was no pulse. Not at the neck, nor on the wrist, nor anywhere. She kicked away at the bottles and glass and clothes and bugs in anger. Why had her friend done this? Why hadn't she said anything? Why hadn't she called her for help?

When she finally stirred, it had felt like hours. It had been hours. The tears had run down her cheeks and off her face onto her friend, the armchair and onto the floor. Struggling to her feet she entertained calling the police, the paramedics... but her eyes were drawn to the computer screen. She knew this was a transcript, so she ran to the screen and pressed play upon it.

Misun's voice pierced through her soul like a spectral knife.

"Helena, I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry.

I can't. I can't continue anymore. He ruined my life. I crossed a line I was apparently not supposed to cross, I shed light on something that was then quickly extinguished. I see him when I sleep, I see him when I close my eyes. He told me that I'd live to regret what I did. Solanaceae Brugmansia is a monster of a man, a plant, a thing. He's ruined my life. He's ruined it! He's the reason I got demoted, the reason why I can't rise in the ranks, the reason why... everything has gone downhill.

I can't take it anymore. He's boxed me in. I can't talk to anyone. I can't be seen outside. I can't even... I can't even bring myself to go to work. The work is meaningless. My life is meaningless.

WHY! WHY?!

I can't find joy in drink. Its my escape but it doesn't let me run. I tried to talk to you about anything but I was worried if I told you anything he'd come for you next. I tried...

I tried, I found... this... the Councillor, he suppresses any news on his activity, anything that might whiff of corruption or shady dealings -- or some hypocrisy relating to the 'Xyn' and their 'dormant worlds.' Any criticism he seeks to silence. There must be others. I can't be the only one...

He came to visit me. Or he beckoned me to come to see him. I thought it was going to be an interview, its what... its what it sounded like. But I felt him in my head, I felt... him pry and use his magic. He told me things I can't remember. But what I do... my article 'The Xyn Problem: A Galaxy That Is No Longer Theirs', argued that they have no right to the worlds they once owned because of the... WHO CARES, WHO CARES, HE TOLD ME ALL I
HAD WAS AS FICKLE AS THEIR SUPPOSED CLAIMS ON WORLDS AND IF I... I dared to destroy his life he would destroy mine. He got me fired. I don't know how. He got... people watching me, everywhere... even when I slee.. I sleep..."

By the time the authorities had arrived, she had nestled onto the armchair again, cradling her friend. The night was a blur after that, but she did not forget the smile that briefly crept across her face as she forwarded the voice-recording to her superiors at GNN. Those she knew would be sympathetic to her and her friend.

Thesh Spoke out across the station, its voice crisp and clear in the languages it spoke. "This is a Special Announcement from the Galactic News Network...!"

Yasuragi
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Yasuragi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:42 am

Bright Roost Ravnikai Complex,
Seven Mega-Dome, Amity

The dome was set at a nice 45 standard, a compromise between the needs of the Chirrin units and the Ravnikai. Most of the dome was similar, a concession between the native habitat of the Seven's units and the other species they happened to share the galaxy with. Even the atmospheric mix was suboptimal for the Seven - although the deepest chambers of the dome had the correct mixture, requiring some sort of atmospheric breathing apparatus to enter further - but Sevali had no such need for a thing. She was on the outskirts of the Seven's dome, in the narrow area that resembled a normal-looking living unit before transforming into the modified mountain and tunnel system that made up the rest of the dome. For her, it looked much as if she were standing in a mountain-side town nestled at the base of a very, very tall cliff, covered in alien vines.

Occasionally the Seven's dome even saw a few daredevils that attempted to climb the cliffside to jump from the top and glide back down to the bottom via parachutes or even natural wing membranes, but the Seven had staunchly discouraged such a thing, and the untimely death of a few of these individuals dissuaded much of the rest.

Or perhaps it was the atmosphere - not the oxygen-nitrogen mix, but the general aesthetic, instead. A cold dome, filled with strange terrain manipulation, with the normally-bright lights dimmed to a bare glow, and the constant sensation of a breeze, well. It gave one the impression of a ghost town - whatever the cultural equivalent was.

The Ravnikai of Bright Roost were the primary inhabitants of the dome, with several hundred or so of them clustered in a few buildings, but even their bright lights were barely a pinprick in the general darkness that played out in the rest of the dome. Plus, their offices were even colder than the rest of the dome, probably at around 20 standard or less - it was hard for Sevali to gauge it properly, although she could just ask Thesh if she was especially curious. She knew the Ravnikai liked their cold, but there was a difference between knowing it intellectually, and actually feeling the cold biting at your joints and bare skin.

Before Sevali could knock further, there came a slight chatter from behind her, and she turned to regard a cluster of multi-jointed legs and chitinous carapaces crowding the hallway behind her. Thesh spoke, his electronic voice chiming melodically through the rustling of mandibles and twitching eyestalks. "Good day/cycle, honored Ambassador/envoy. I am pleased/eager to see you have honored/agreed to/accepted the invitation. Red Feather is preoccupied/concerned/busy with the affairs/issues/disputes of his kind. Please, follow/accompany/walk alongside me."

As before, with the meeting with Solan - although Sevali had no knowledge of it - the Chirrin units spoke in their melodic speech, the chirruping and rasping forming an interweaving speech laden with over and undertones. Thesh translated this precisely, assigning each undertone and overtone a more appropriate and suitable word, giving their intended audience a more precise accounting of Bittersweet Sun [Son]'s phrasing. This was not how it had originally been, but it had been implemented shortly after Amity had been built at the behest of many other races; it allowed the other ambassadors to gain further insight into the minds of the Seven, given their strange structure and absence of body language. The Seven had not objected, and had instead found the project to be amusing, providing Thesh with multiple uploads of language processing suggestions and patches. It was one of the largest libraries Thesh maintained, especially given the Seven's propensity for reinventing their language on a whim, or whenever a new mind was created.

For now, however, Thesh was not needed, as the Chirrin units remained silent as they traipsed down the hallway, their legs skittering rapidly to keep ahead of Sevali's. As alien as they might have looked, they were not entirely ugly. A soft crest of some sort of fur covered each carapace, giving the units their mottled green, brown, and black coloration, and their faces, oddly hinged and jointed, resembled those famed talking birds of the Common League. Of course, the elongated neck and multi-eyed faceplate would potentially give her pause, but in all, she could almost trick herself into believing she was being escorted by a pack of some sort of crab-dogs.

The illusion would falter - if it even passed her mind - almost immediately as she noticed the Chirrin units moving in precise unison, each leg moving simultaneously, each faceplate swiveling to regard passerby at the same time, even each eyelid sliding across the eye in what passed for a 'blink' at the same time. It was this, more than anything else, that tended to disturb most visitors and colleagues of Bittersweet Sun [Son]. Few were prepared to deal with a creature that inhabited all the bodies of the Chirrin simultaneously, moving its units in a precise and complex dance that never faltered or fell into chaos, no matter the stresses placed on its mind. Perhaps Sevali was; she had had few dealings with the Seven, mostly done virtually since Bittersweet's withdrawal into seclusion some years prior. It would be an excellent opportunity to--

Her thoughts would be interrupted as the Chirrin abruptly turned into a room - an unremarkable meeting space, resembling many of the rest, and chittered. Three tarsi gestured for her to take a seat, and as the door slid shut behind her, the heaters embedded in the walls and floor vibrated slightly to indicate their activation. Soon, the temperature would be at a much warmer 75 standard - but the Chirrin still continued to stare at her implacably.

Several long seconds passed as they examined her, their palps churning the air to taste the smells, before they spoke again - in unison, always in unison.

"How do you/people/Carasi decide/determine what to wear/drape/dress?"

Yasuragi
Diplomat

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Yasuragi » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 pm

Meeting-Space #45-a, Green,
Assembly Dome, Amity

"Honorable Ambassadors, it is a great pleasure to see both of you in attendance," Thesh's voice said, speaking once more over the chirruping of a half-dozen Chirrin units that congregated near one end of the tripartite table. "And without any weapons of violence at hand, even better. Hah. Hah. Hah." Thesh paused, before another wave of husking and whispering washed through the room. "That was a joke. Please acknowledge any feelings of amusement with the appropriate vocalizations; it is the only metric by which I can improve my attempts at humor and interpersonal communication."

Bittersweet Sun [Son] paused, allowing silence to settle in the room before continuing. Maintaining two conversations - the discussion with Ambassador Sevali was ongoing simultaneously - was not taxing in the least, but it did require the tiniest amount of micromanagement. When it had been first generated, it had taken some time to develop the habit; early meetings with other ambassadors had led to some confusion, as Bittersweet attempted to address people who were not in the room, but were instead in another meeting with it across the solar system. It had also learned not to integrate new units mid-conversation; the disruptions to its personality and mannerisms, however slight, were occasionally jarring or even frightening to its audience. It had attempted to explain such disruptions away, but oftentimes the explanation was even more frightening to its colleagues than the display of the disruption itself. Other sentients, it seemed, were very afraid of the idea of forcible personality shifts, or cessation of consciousness.

Not that Bittersweet could find fault in that. It really couldn't understand it at all; with a lifespan that measured in the centuries or millennia, Bittersweet was uncertain how other sentients found time to do anything but exist and quail in terror at their impending end, and yet they seemed to do so much. Its lifespan was indefinite - tied as it was to the end of the Assembly. It had been created for the purpose of representing the Seven at the Assembly, and if the Seven ever withdrew, or the Assembly ever left, Bittersweet would be forced to return to Kernel as well, to be reabsorbed into the mind that created it. The thought.... concerned Bittersweet.

It was partially the reason why it was feeling some inexplicable emotions at Solan's presumed rashness.

The creation of a new Elder position meant chaos, meant turmoil, meant division and challenges and change -- and with each of these, came the risk that the Seven would ultimately grow tired of the struggles and issues and ultimately remove themselves from the distraction. And with such a thing would come Bittersweet's obsolescence and termination. It was, really, truly, one of the only issues that could be truly said to occupy Bittersweet's thoughts: the preservation of the Assembly, and the prevention of galactic conflict for as long as possible.

Which brought it to here, to today. The Shiypatsa. The Tal'Akdari. Perhaps the two species most likely to engage in conflict with each other, and both situated in close proximity to the Seven's own interests. Driven by emotions and illogical thought - the two were not identical - the impending conflict was also driven in large part by the common theme underlying most sentients: greed. The all-consuming desire for power, coupled with an insatiable need for strength to grasp it, and chasing close behind, the fear of weakness and failure.

Failure in the interstellar arena often meant consigning millions or billions to poverty or destruction - or slavery or torture or a negative-oriented afterlife. The list went on.

"I will not, as I stated in my initial communique, waste words or time. Your two polities stand opposed in multiple ways, and have spent a great deal of time planning how best to destroy or undermine or thwart the other. The Seven offer an opportunity to continuing doing so, while also postponing the inevitable final conflict in a way that is productive for your respective species." A tarsi stroked the table, and on cue, a holographic image of the Galno Basin appeared, projected by Thesh as he continued to translate Bittersweet Sun [Son]'s words. The image showed the Basin as it currently existed in Assembly records, with an exact replica of all officially approved and reported mining stations, colonies, claimed systems, gates, and the like. It explicitly did not show any further information, despite Bittersweet's personal knowledge of at least half a dozen illegal - or at least barely-legal - mining stations in unclaimed space.

"The Galno Basin, as recorded by the Assembly Bureau of Inter-solar Planning. Your species will inevitably draw into further conflict as you expand into additional systems -" a handful of systems glowed bright green, located between the Shiypatsa and the Tal'Akdar - "and the conflicts will grow all the more desperate as your corporations and entities seek to exploit the resources available in the Basin. This is not inherently a wrong, or immoral, or improper thing. Struggle is important for a species, whether personal, spiritual, or political. This is a common theme in a combined corpus of Shiypatsa and Tal'Akdari literature," Thesh continued, as various titles of specific plays, texts, and writings spun into existence before vanishing, serving only to underline Bittersweet's point. "The timing of this struggle, however, is inconvenient to the Seven. There are a number of initiatives they wish to complete prior to large-scale conflict emerging, and are therefore asking for postponement."

"Naturally, you will require incentives for your governments to consider such a request seriously. Item one: the establishment of a large-scale summit between the Seven and the Shiypatsa and the Tal'Akdari, in which all three polities commit to preserving peace and prosperity within the Basin. In addition to the anti-piracy and gate-building commitments at said summit, the Galno Basin will be divided into spheres of influence," Thesh spoke, highlighting the Basin in multiple colors to indicate shifting priorities and claims. "This will allow for uncontested expansion, colonization, and internal competition. Both parties will strengthen their position equally, with the Seven acting as neutral mediators."

"Item two: the Seven will commit the Seventh, our primary fleet and military entity, to guaranteeing the territorial integrity of both the Shiypatsa and the Tal'Akdari as they stand at the end of the summit - or currently, if said summit fails. Neither polity will be able to engage in full-scale warfare against the other without the intervention of the Seven. This will last for a period of twenty years, after which open conflict may begin."

"Item three: both the Tal'Akdari and the Shiypatsa will withdraw their attempts at attaining an Elder Race status, and in exchange, will receive a number of diplomatic concessions from the Seven, to be negotiated in follow-on meetings. This is not in perpetuity; should our separate negotiations fail, you may resume your efforts in accumulating additional votes. Nor do the Seven wish to bind your votes to a specific candidate."

"Honorable sentients, the Seven propose a route through which both of your peoples can enjoy prosperity for two standard decades, if not more, without risk of destruction. You will not be bound from a war, should either of your polities choose to pursue that action at the end of this proposal period. Consider: an opportunity to build up your strength further, to cultivate additional souls and ships, to explore and expand further than most other Assembly races. You will be acclaimed internally for such a feat, and lauded publicly for your commitment to diplomacy -- all the while, conceding little to each other."

"I have given you much to consider. Allow me the honor of hearing your thoughts, both here, and in private." More tarsi gestured, and the holographic display disappeared. The assembled units turned to regard Sadavyr and Zhis in unison, half of them regarding each ambassador and their group quietly. Outside, further units waited along the path from the meeting-place to each Ambassador's domicile, loitering for the opportunity for private discussions with each ambassador separately, should the joint discussion go.... poorly.

The Ik Ka Ek Akai
Postmaster-General

Postby The Ik Ka Ek Akai » Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:54 pm

As chilly as it was, there was no doubt that it was beautiful. Soaring cliffs and crawling vines reminded her all too much of home. Perhaps, with proper attire, she could return here almost like a vacation. Relaxation. Comfort. The nestled town that housed the many inhabitants was quaint, in a sense. Once again familiar, but that meant it raised her heart just a little more. Maybe this place didn't feel all that cold anymore, just maybe. How could it be so cold when it reminded her so much of her ever-distant home? The air was crisp and fresh, not quite as stuffy as it could be found to be elsewhere in Amity. Ah, but that was its ruin. The air on Atrenas was often moist, muggy, thick, but here it chilled her inside-out with each and every breath, and it was fragile - it felt like treading upon thin glass eager to break. Is that why the air felt a bit...spiky? Broken glass, huh? Crisp indeed.

Each breath felt not only spiky from the crispness of the air, but the peculiar mix it was as well. Such a mix was well suited to the Drudari, who breathed such a mix mainly, but Atrenas was largely oxygenated. Sure, she could breathe pure nitrogen if she wanted, but it would give her quite the sickness for a bit while she adjusted. Here, it was awkward. She wasn't sick, not at all, but she felt a bit short of breath. Walking was never so much an issue, much less with so little to carry. She knew the exact reason, she could tell why she felt the way she did, it was simply an annoyance. Indeed, she felt quite alright standing here, not winded at all, but the simple act of walking fastly as she always did had given her at least a little pause.

Then there came a chittering, the sound of multiple chitinous legs all moving together. She turned to see the Chirrin, three of them, and looked down to meet them. You know, looking down for once felt kinda nice. She was greeted and then rushed along, asked to follow for conversation. Those little legs worked as hard as they could to keep ahead of her, it was almost cute. Almost. Though that fur sure helped, the things in front of her were most certainly insects all the same. Now, some recoiled from the things, but Sevali was too experienced in this world, she was a warrior once and warriors don't get creeped out by bugs. Not easily, at any rate. It was moreso their unity that was curious, that always was curious.

Indeed, the way they acted as a single being in multiple bodies was quite curious. She'd heard of hiveminds of course, but never before she first met the Seven and their kind could she imagine it so literally. There was some merit to it, she supposed - was it not true that souls traveled the Winds and the Winds flowed through all things. She looked at the Chirrin once more with her vibrant purple eyes, her special elf eyes, and could practically see it before her. The mystical Winds, which gave souls, which guided everything in the universe, weaving through their bodies like needle and thread. They were stitched together by the Winds, bound together as if a quilt of chitin and fur and flesh. Looking at it that way, it almost made sense. Almost.

Well, they came to a stop, found a place to rest and meet up, a warmer place indeed, and she was vigorously smelled. This fine lady would, of course, smell of her leathers, but perhaps moreso of the elegant perfumes she wore to mask that smell. Mind you, the Caras didn't consider it a bad smell by any means, but a lady of her status simply must wear such perfumes. Not because the alternative was a bad smell, not because such perfumes were hard to get, but instead simply because it gave a gentler, more refined sort of impression from those she came across. In a galaxy of soft speaking and great ritual, it suited her to smell more of wildflowers, juicy fruit, a tropical breeze, much more than it would to smell of mud, sweat, and animals. Not that she'd smell like that otherwise, given the rather clean conditions of Amity, but it was worth a thought certainly.

And there it was. Small talk, it seemed. She was asked how she, and her people, decide what to wear. She blushed a little, realizing that she had indeed not well prepared for her meeting with regards to warm attire. Crossing her legs in her seat with a bit of a squeak from her attire, she folded her hands together and thought for a moment to explain it all.

"My people," she began, "choose to wear what we do based on our status and available materials primarily. Our people don't have an especially strong agricultural tradition and, regardless, our worlds are very often not well conducive to mass-scale agriculture. When one sets up a new life on a new planet entirely, one barren of any native infrastructure, our more traditional methods helped us survive. I suppose you could say we might've continued out of sheer tradition, that we could've made some sort of industrial agricultural lifestyle to suit our needs, but we didn't. We breed and hunt animals, we scrape from bark and pick from leaves, we pluck from bushes and vines. We set up groves, cities, but simply said we prefer our clothing this way."

She unfolded her hands and leaned back, "Make no mistake, we waste nothing. When we have an animal dead, possibly killed in defense of a village, possibly from old age, possibly scavenged in the jungle, we use each and every part. The skins go to our clothes, the meat to our bellies, bones and claws to decorations, weapons, and so on and so on - and what we cannot use, we give back to the planet to feed it, nurture it. It's all quite nice, I assure you: our beasts are quite massive, so even a single one provides a great bounty."

She crossed her arms, rubbing her glove up and down for a moment, "As for choice of items and coverage, well, it only follows that the more status one has, the more they can cover up. The clothes of the lowest tiers of society are immodest by some standards, though we don't think of them in such a way - they simply use little material. Think, perhaps, a breast-wrap and a knee-length skirt. Quite simple, yes? Well, such an outfit is also quite conducive to varied work too. It suits their lifestyle, as well as their status. This is a recurring theme, you might imagine, up to me. I am of high status, and so my clothing is quite 'modest' indeed. I am covered neck-to-finger-to-toe because, with my status, I have the resources to be so. Moreover, it suits the formal modesty requirements held by near every civilization that utilizes clothes. Yet another reason would be that it functions as a sort of armor, for though many forget - I am a noble, and was a warrior."

Sevali smiled, "Yes, that is yet another benefit of using skins. You see, they are durable, resistant to tear, slash, or break. They can withstand all sorts of strikes. Despite this great durability, leather is also quite soft and supple. It caresses the form gently. When allowed the room to tighten or loosen as needed," she points to one of her brooches, "it will always keep the right fit without fail. Just look how smooth and soft it seems, hugging me as it does with little room for any flaws. It sure makes me seem smooth and soft, by sight and by touch, does it not?"

"Now, then - I think I know why you asked. You asked because I was clearly not suited for the cold. Well, I have to admit that I was caught a bit off-guard. I was just returning to my apartment when the message was delivered to me, first-thing, and I simply had to rush back out. Then again..." she paused, "I would also like to state my people live dominantly in warm environments. Sure, we've got some quite cold colonies, but I come from near the equator of Atrenas myself. Our clothing is well suited to such a thing, the leather is thin and breathable. A sort of second, pretty skin covering up what's underneath."

"I thought it was best I come personally, anyway, since none of my attendants would've been any better prepared than I. Indeed, they're all attired quite similarly to me. That's part of my duty, as a noble, to return the investments they've made in me. I'm sure you've seen them, did you not? Spoke to them, perhaps? They follow me of their own accord because of this contract we have, it is a vital part of our society. I give them my own quality of life to share, but they simply can't be better prepared for the cold than I because I can't share what I don't have. If they had signed up with an Arctic Caras, perhaps they might've been better suited for it. We sometimes have to look to others to fill the gaps, that's why I have my Lady, the Primarchousa, to turn to - she gives me that which I cannot procure with my own influence, and has my loyalty because of it."

"Do you see, now, my friend? I know you appreciate wisdom, knowledge, learning, information, you must be quite learned yourself - but I doubt this summons was simply to ask me that question, just as I doubt my answer was satisfactory for the sole purpose of answering it. To summarize, however, my attire is made of many layers thinly covering the body, several pieces that come together to form a cohesive whole. Tell me, do you like that whole?"

Qianrong
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Qianrong » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:33 pm

The thing Loketral tsi'Tsiriikabuur missed the most about k'Vidir was the fruit.

He had been assigned to Amity as the Deputy Ambassador of the Rhaltek-v'Riiki Union for nearly four years, having ascended from a previous position in the government of the v'Riiki Commonwealth with the help from some relatives- some blood, some marriage- within both the Commonwealth government and the Union Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The job was prestigious- it placed him as the most prominent v'Riiki in the Union delegation on Amity- so he had gladly taken the opportunity. He knew he would be playing second fiddle to a Rhaltek, which galled him slightly, but at the same time, why look a gift Seviran in the mouth? Even deputy ambassador was a stunning achievement, both for Loketral himself and for the clan of Tsiriikabuur. Besides, being recognized for one's undeniable talent was always pleasant.

So he had left his family and home on k'Vidir, and his old job on k'Tykkre, and gone off to Amity with some of his favored possessions (inanimate or otherwise) to help represent the Eternal Consociation before the Interstellar Assembly. And he had little to complain about; his quarters were pleasant, his slaves loyal, his clothes elegant, his position prestigious and well-paying. His superior, Prince Cerunon had-Codrales- though Loketral, having technically gotten through a greater percentage of his species' average lifespan, often insisted on treating Cerunon as his junior- was remarkably reasonable for a jaded sot. The only complaint he really had, he thought to himself, was that being so far from the Union made it hard to get proper fruit, the sort that would've been grown beneath the suns of the Commonwealth, vividly-colored and sweet and juicy, uniquely and delicately flavored by the soil in which it had been planted. Any fruits from the Union had to be preserved in order to survive the litany of trips through the Winds, which detracted from their ripeness, and those grown on Amity lacked that je ne sais quoi of being grown on a proper, living planet.

He picked up one of the Amity-grown fruits laying in the bowl in his sitting room, an oblong reddish-orange fruit, eyeing it while rolling it over in his hand, inspecting it for bruises. After several seconds of inspection, he sank his beak into it, ripping off a portion and revealing its semitransparent orange flesh, letting the juice run down his face while looking aimlessly at the room's sleek and minimalist green-and-white decor. The flavor was sub-par, of course, but it was an adequate breakfast nonetheless.

A quiet rapping on the hallway door of the sitting room interrupted Loketral's thoughts. "Come in!" he called, his mouth still full of half-chewed fruit.

The door opened and a v'Riiki dressed in fine if austere clothing walked in. The second v'Riiki's beak, marked in shades of gold and green, was markedly different from Loketral's, whose beak was blue and silver, marked with black at the tip. "Master Loketral, the Seviran is awake as you requested. He will report here as soon as he's ready."

"Thank you, Aatryk," Loketral replied warmly. "As always, your obedience commends you."

"It is an honor to serve," Aatryk said, bowing his head respectfully. "Is there anything else I may do for you?"

"Come later in the morning I might want some food a little more substantial than fruit delivered to my office, perhaps, but that can wait until I've arrived. I also suspect you've already got the others working on preparing my notes for the day? It's rare that Cerunon opts to actually schedule appointments in advance, so whatever he wants to talk about must be important."

"Yes, Master, I have."

"Good, good! In that case, then, the only thing you might be able to provide me at the moment is conversation," Loketral proclaimed, taking another bite out of the fruit.

"Is there any particular topic you want to discuss?" Aatryk asked.

"Oh, nothing in particular, really. Let's say... your thoughts on the other races here, perhaps, if you have any."

"You would ask me for advice?"

"Not advice, no. Just your opinions."

"Truth be told, Master, my interactions with the other races here- aside from the Rhaltek and your Seviran- is relatively limited. I encounter most of them only in passing."

"Surely you've heard things, though."

"Oh, of course, but things can always be distorted in the retelling."

"Quite true, quite true," Loketral mused. "You're very astute for a Clanless, Aatryk. I do find it a distinct pleasure to talk with you."

The feathers around Aatryk's neck puffed up slightly, conveying some mixture of a flattered blush and a proud smile. "Thank you, Master. It is an honor to be complimented by a Clansman, especially one so distinguished as yourself."

Loketral ate up the flattery, and another piece of fruit, before continuing to speak. "Truth be told, I find many of the other races here... bizarre. Species with bizarre morals, no respect for blood ties, wearing strange clothing and speaking their guttural tongues. It's fascinating, in a strange way; I sometimes wonder how some of them managed to make it to the stars. Of course, there are the good ones- the Ravnikai, for example, they know the importance of blood, and the Carasi recognize the value of slavery, unlike some of the more uncultured races out there- but there are others that are just odd, aren't there? Ones it's truly hard to understand."

"Oh, yes, of course," Aatryk replied without hesitation. "I hear many strange things about the Chirrin-"

Loketral shuddered while letting out a noise of disgust, his wings folding tight against his body as he did. "Spirits around us, the Chirrin creep me out. Their language can be quite beautiful in its nuance, apparently, but those chitinous exoskeletons and the way they do things in perfect sync is just... off-putting."

There was a sound of heavy footsteps in the hallway outside, and the head of a Seviran poked itself through the doorway, wearing austere but heavily-padded clothing with an aesthetic similar to Aatryk's, and an expression of thinly veiled resentment.

"Ahhh, Maqshir!" Loketral beamed, striding over to the door and putting his arms around the Seviran's head in an attempt at a warm embrace as Maqshir tensed up and winced. "Your feathers are looking particularly lustrous this morning," he continued, running his taloned fingers gently down Maqshir's neck. "It's good to see you're taking care of yourself. I take it you're ready for harnessing?"

"Yes," Maqshir answered curtly, glowering.

"Good, good," Loketral replied, running his hand over Maqshir's head in the way a human might stroke a dog or a cat. "I'll leave you to get on with it for now. I'll be down shortly."

Maqshir extricated himself from Loketral's embrace and mutely headed away, his tail trailing behind him as he passed. Loketral ran his hands through that too, letting his claws slip through Maqshir's long, sapphire-blue tail feathers.

Once the Seviran had disappeared down the hallway, Loketral turned back towards Aatryk and sighed. "I don't understand that Seviran," Loketral began. "It's been nearly seven years since I purchased Maqshir as a mount and I've treated him with nothing but the utmost kindness- far better than any of his previous masters did, if what Mytiikre told me about how he was punished for disobedience was true- and while he obeys diligently, he's always so sullen and resentful. Ungrateful, even. He eats well, sleeps well, is clothed well, and I never show him anything but kindness and pride- to have a Seviran is a mark of pride, especially so fine a specimen as him- and yet he treats me as though I've done him some wrong."

Aatryk shook his head and moved his wings in the equivalent of a shrug. "I remember your father telling me and my siblings old stories about what things were like before the Union, including stories about what the Seviran were like before they were brought under the august rule of the Convocation and put in their rightful place. They used to try and lecture the Commonwealth on morality, as though a gaggle of clanless aliens run by mob rule could claim superiority over the noble patriarchs of the Convocation. Especially with slavery- your father told me the Seviran claimed that slavery was unjust, that they thought one had merit merely for existing, and that putting those without great deeds or blood in service to their betters was immoral."

"And you suppose that he still clings to those old ideas?"

"Exactly, Master Loketral," Aatryk replied with the enthusiasm of someone well-used to telling Loketral exactly what he wanted to hear. "You treat us with nothing but the utmost kindness and fairness, but the Seviran thought that even that was unjust. That Seviran must think similarly- that no matter how well you treat him, and even though you are his better, the fact that he serves you is some cruelty to him."

Loketral made a tut-tutting noise while shaking his head. "You know, Aatryk, it's no wonder that the Seviran lost to us," he declared. "With ideals that absurd and their mob rule government, their society must have been absolutely atomized compared to ours. We're bound by a recognition of the worth of blood, and the merit of service, the Rhaltek are bound by loyalty to their nine gods and to the line of Codrales had-Corault- even the Rhaltek know the importance of blood at times- but the Seviran, they didn't have anything like that. Instead they fetishized their separation, their isolation. There was no way they could have opposed us, divided like that- and now they're in their proper place, serving their natural superiors."

"Indeed," Aatryk replied loyally.

"Really, Maqshir ought to be grateful. Can you imagine what his life would have been like if Seviran society had been allowed to continue careening down such a ghastly course? Living in some slum of a city, ruined by incompetent demagogues, utterly alone in a society so focused on the individual that everyone ends up cut off from everyone else, with nothing to bind them together, a society turned upside down by the pursuit of some notion of 'equality' that affronts the natural order. Instead he has a comfortable life, a place in noble servitude to a scion of the clan Tsiriikabuur, and a master who appreciates him."

"Quite true, quite true."

"What does surprise me is that he still holds those nonsensical old ideals. It's been nearly two hundred years since the v'Riiki-Seviran War, and it seems they still haven't abandoned these ideas, despite the best efforts of so many to teach them proper values."

"Because Sevirans live longer than us, perhaps? For one of us, the war was four or maybe even five generations ago by now. For them, it was only two or three. It might take longer for those old ideals to die off as a result."

Loketral paused for a second, then nodded approvingly. "Yes, that does make sense. Once again you prove yourself astute for a Clanless."

Aatryk opened his beak to reply, before noticing the time given on a digital clock hanging on the wall. "Master, I believe that now might be a good time for you to begin heading towards Prince Cerunon's office if you wish to be on time."

Loketral turned around, craning his head over his shoulder and moving one of his folded wings out of the way. "Indeed it is! Your diligence and loyalty are exemplary, Aatryk. I trust that you can keep the household in order while I'm away?"

"I'll do whatever you command, master."

"Good," Loketral grinned as he exited the room and began to walk down the corridor towards the stairs. "I will see you again this evening."

Aatryk called out a farewell, but Loketral's mind had begun to drift from his favored v'Riiki slave to the task ahead of him as he proceeded down the staircase. It was rare for Cerunon to call him in well in advance, rather than at the last minute, and had gotten rarer as the Rhaltek increasingly spent his time drunk, hungover, or both; he had been particularly reclusive the past few months, making it all the more bizarre. Perhaps he would have to try and convince Cerunon to at least remain sober enough to do his job, in addition to discussing the Union's course of action on Amity, Loketral thought as he grabbed a tablet computer from a female servant and gave her the typical pleasantries.

Walking down another hallway, he came to the main doors of the deputy ambassador's quarters, which opened onto the interior of the Union's dome. Pushing the doors open, he was greeted with a burst of air that was- for a v'Riiki, or a Seviran for that matter- at the unpleasantly cold temperature of 80 units standard. The domes on Amity allotted to certain polities were supposed to be specially climate-controlled so as to be comfortable for the species which inhabited that polity, so that- in theory- all species could feel at home there. Unfortunately for the Union delegation, however, the species which composed its population had sharply different definitions of "comfortable"; the Rhaltek had evolved on a planet dominated by tundra and boreal forest, and considered a room temperature of 50 units standard to be toasty warm, whereas the v'Riiki and Seviran had developed on hot, humid planets, and tended to feel comfortable at temperatures of 110 units standard. As a result, the Union's dome had been set at a compromise temperature of 80 degrees, leaving it unpleasantly hot for any Rhaltek and unpleasantly cold for any v'Riiki or Seviran.

Loketral tried not to think of this as some metaphor about the Union.

Breaking himself out of his thoughts, he walked over to Maqshir, now wearing a saddle and a bridle and an openly resentful expression. Loketral ignored the Seviran's obvious displeasure, stroking Maqshir's head even as Maqshir attempted to pull it away. Maqshir kneeled slightly to let Lokettal put one of his feet through a stirrup; the v’Riiki then hoisted himself onto the saddle and grabbed the reins draped over Maqshir's lower neck.

"Alright then," Loketral said warmly, "let's be off."

Maqshir paused momentarily to let out an angry, impotent sigh through his bit before complying, moving to a quick jog to transport the v'Riiki across the dome.

His Highness, Prince Cerunon cur Aldinor, of the Sacred Blood of Codrales had-Corault, Ambassador of the Eternal Consociation to the Interstellar Assembly, took a swig of distilled spirits from a finely-engraved crystal shot glass while clutching his forehead and slouching in a well-padded chair. The lights in the room- ornate, perhaps even baroque in its decoration- were deliberately dim, barely bright enough to read by; but Cerunon couldn't bear to have them much brighter at the moment, and his chief bodyguard Kesseraul dol-Tynegreth was used to finding Cerunon sitting in darkness as he nursed a hangover.

"You sure it's a good idea to be drinking this early in the morning?" Kesseraul asked. He was tall, muscular, and physically-imposing, with brown tabby fur and a noticeable ruff thereof running down his neck and chest.

Cerunon- tall when he wasn't slouched, dark-grey-furred, and visibly worn-down and hungover- refilled the glass using an equally well-engraved bottle filled with brownish liquid, then took another swig. "At this point I don't care, and even if I did, I have more pressing concerns," Cerunon replied. "I'm sure that you're aware of the incident with that GNN reporter?"

"You'd be hard-pressed to find someone on Amity who isn't aware of that, Your Highness."

"I assume you're also aware of the allegations that Brugmansia Solanaceae was involved?"

"You'd be hard-pressed to find someone who's not aware of that too."

Cerunon nodded. "I want you to make sure that my sons are always under guard at all times for the forseeable future. There will no doubt be some... tense negotiations in the future, and I want to make absolutely sure that none of their lives end up as bargaining chips. Whether it's your men or you personally, I want someone with all three of them at every hour of the day. Guard them more stringently than you guard me, even, under the circumstances."

"Do you legitimately believe Solanaceae is responsible for that reporter's death?" Kesseraul asked, cocking an eyebrow.

"Doesn't matter if he is," Cerunon replied, taking another swig. "So long as people think he might be, there's a risk. If one party here is willing to consider murder, encouraging suicide, blackmail, soforth- even allegedly- there'll be others considering that sort of thing. If the Xyn can resort to blackmail and murder, what's to stop someone else from contemplating kidnapping, or hostage-taking?"

"Fair. I'll make sure to have my men with them at all times. What about your wives and daughters?"

"If you have the resources, go ahead, but they're only women. The sons are more important, not to mention that they spend most of their time indoors." Cerunon paused for a second. "Except for Annuend," he added, sighing faintly before opting to bypass the shot glass and take a gulp directly from the bottle. "That girl... she's a troublemaker. If any one of the women is going to make themselves a target, it's going to be her. Try to separate her from Padarn too, while you're at it, that little wretch keeps taking her on distinctly unladylike adventures."

"Understood, Your Highness," Kesseraul replied dutifully. "Is there anything else I should-"

"Good morning, Cerunon!" Loketral crowed as he pushed through the office's double-doors, carrying a tablet computer and a chipper expression. "I'm here as you requested."

"Prince Cerunon, and yes, I noticed," Cerunon noted dryly before turning to Kesseraul. "Tend to the children. You're dismissed."

"Your Highness," Kesseraul said as he bowed to Cerunon and then left the room.

Cerunon sighed wearily, poured himself another glass of liquor, and grabbed and filled a glass for Loketral as well, who was pulling a chair to rest in front of Cerunon's desk.

"I apologize that it's taken me this long to schedule this appointment with you," Cerunon began, "but it's well past time that we began discussing who the Union might want to see elevated to the new Elder Race seat, and I was hoping to receive your inp- ah, fuck!"

Loketral had abruptly turned the room's lights from their dim setting to full brightness.

"Nine above, was that really necessary?" Cerunon shouted while shielding his eyes and nursing a now-aggravated migraine.

"Spirits around us, Cerunon, we're at work and you've got the lights on like you're trying to put us to sleep!"

"Prince Cerunon, and it's my office and my damn lights!"

"And it's your fault they're having such a pronounced effect on you," Loketral replied, taking the tone of an elder educating a child while holding up the glass Cerunon had poured for him. "If you were more temperate-"

"Oh be quiet," Cerunon exclaimed exasperatedly. "I'm not going to be lectured on temperance by a v'Riiki and that's not why I called you here anyways. As I was saying before you interrupted me-" Loketral raised an eyebrow but said nothing- "I've brought you here so that we could discuss whose campaigns for the new Elder Race seat the Union ought to consider backing."

"Are we not putting ourselves forward?" Loketral queried as he took his seat. "Surely the most beneficial choice for the Union would be the Union itself."

"We could try, certainly, but it seems a lost cause to me. Our closest galactic partners have already initiated their own campaigns, the list of polities vying for the seat is overcrowded, and we'd need to offer a lot to win the support of any other nation," Cerunon noted. "I can't particularly think of anything that we offer that isn't offered by at least three other polities already, and I'd be surprised if you or any other member of the delegation could. We'll have far more success if we shop around for partners, find the one who offers us the most, and lend our support to them."

"Reasonable," Loketral conceded. "Speaking personally, my first choice would be the Ravnikai. They're good friends of the Union, an honorable and moral race, and I know that their ambassador, Cracked Beak, has spoken quite favorably with regards to weakening the Elder Council's authority and the Ravnikor military restrictions- goals that align perfectly with those of the Union and both its halves. Backing them would strengthen our existing relationship and guarantee us a close friend with shared motives on the Elder Council."

"Aren't they already kind-of represented by Red Feather? That one who shows up on behalf of the Chirrin?"

"Not really, or so I'm told. Apparently there's something of a rift between Cracked Beak and Red Feather over the internal politics of the Ravnikai League. Besides, a Ravnikai working on behalf of our allies in the League is going to be far more amenable to our interests than a Ravnikai representing the Chirrin."

"That is true, given the... uniqueness of the Chirrin." Cerunon paused for a second to reposition himself in his chair to a position that was less of a slouch- and to take another drink. "What about the Tal'Akdari? We're not particularly close to them, like we are with the Ravnikai or the Urqacauq, but they match the ethos of the Union and-"

"No, they match the ethos of the Rhaltek," Loketral cut in, unsmiling. "And you're only half of the Union."

Cerunon sighed. "Fair. That aside, however, they're the candidates perhaps most openly dedicated to overturning Ravnikor's restrictions, and their policy on trade would benefit us by increasing the level of trade flowing from the Core to the Outer Rim through Mid-Region polities, the Union included. And there's been a lot of talk about them as a viable candidate for the seat on Amity, which might make it easier to get them into it than some of the other candidates."

Loketral frowned and shifted in his seat, trying to reconcile the Rhaltek-style seat with v'Riiki wings and tail feathers. "I feel you're overoptimistic about the Tal'Akdari."

"What do you mean?"

"Say we go ahead and extend an offering to the Tal'Akdari. In my mind, this goes three possible ways. First, and best but least likely, the Tal'Akdari decide that even though they and you Rhaltek are so deeply devoted to different and contradictory gods, you're similar enough in ethos that they enthusiastically accept, and we get them on the Elder Council. Second, they're put off by the fact that we're all heretics in their eyes, but wise enough not to say it and accept our support regardless. We get them on the council, they lift the fleet restrictions, and they use that to conquer their neighbors and become a galactic power. The Union-Tal'Akdar relationship stops being an equal partnership, they get tired of our 'heresy', and our descendants end up among their 'exorcised'. Third, they reject our help outright because we're infidels to them and we remain stuck at square one."

Cerunon snorted. "And I thought I'd become a pessimist. The Tal'Akdari are devoted to their gods, yes, and yes, their Heavenly Triad is not the Nine. But they are not unreasonable, and know the values of fidelity and pragmatism regardless. Besides, they're on the other side of the galaxy. We're hardly going to be a target of theirs."

"You can't deny that the Tal'Akdari are markedly belligerent, and while distance protects us from them for now, giving them a position as an Elder Race would leave them unchecked and uncheckable," Loketral warned. "They aren't on our borders now, and I would prefer we avoid giving them a position where they can expand towards them without fear of consequence."

"You're being paranoid, Loketral, and this is all a hypothetical anyways. The Tal'Akdari taking that seat offers us tangible benefits, which matter infinitely more than hypothetical threats."

"What about the Urqacauq? The Urqacauq are just as ferociously devoted to reducing or repealing the Ranvikor fleet limits as the Tal'Akdari, and they have a long-standing, positive relationship with the Union, which the Tal'Akdari decidedly do not."

"A strong candidate from the Union's perspective, perhaps on par with the Ravnikai. It's common wisdom, however, that the Urqa are unable to govern themselves, which leads many to see them as unfit for the seat. Why should they set laws for others, when they can barely enforce their own upon themselves?"

"The same could be said for the Ravnikai and their litany of roosts. It could be said for the Union, for that matter."

"Perhaps, though the situation with the Ravnikai isn't the same as the situation with the Urqa, and our situation is a different matter entirely. And some back home might object to naming such a... godless species to the seat."

"Let them object. We have a solid relationship with the Urqa, godless or not, and it's not like your nephew seems to care much about the Interstellar Assembly regardless. Chances are he'll just ignore any complaints."

Cerunon bristled involuntarily at the mention of his nephew, Union Minister of Foreign Affairs Peraldor cur Lifres. "Yes, he's quite good at ignoring complaints," Cerunon snarked, bitterness seeping through every word.

There was an uncomfortable pause.

"What about the Carasi?" Loketral asked. "I've heard them widely mentioned as candidates, and- unlike many of the other races here- they aren't the sort to try and lecture others on morality simply because they have certain traditions. Their ambassadress has been seen with some of the Elder Race ambassadors recently, or so I hear, and if they can obtain the backing of an Elder Race they might have an immensely easy time getting the seat."

"That's a substantial 'if', given the Drudari's position," Cerunon replied. "Besides, I'd prefer a candidate more explicitly opposed to the Ravnikor treaty. To my knowledge, the Carasi don't currently have a stance on this issue."

"Thinking of explicit stances," Cerunon continued, "I mention this only to make sure that we're both on the same page: the Shiypatsa are unacceptable to the Union. You and I both know perfectly well the troubles that ensued the last time the Union and its parts were forced to reduce their fleet sizes, and the Shiypatsa appear to be running explicitly on making the limits even lower. Given how... tense negotiations between the Union, Empire, and Commonwealth got when Ravnikor was implemented, any further lowering represents an unacceptable threat to the Union's integrity, and for that reason the Shiypatsa cannot be allowed to take that seat."

"Agreed," Loketral said. "It's a shame- the Shiypatsa appreciate the importance of clan and blood in a way I wish more of the races in this galaxy did- but so long as they support maintaining or lowering fleet limits, they cannot be elevated to Elder Race."

A silence fell over the room for several seconds, interrupted only by the noise of Cerunon pouring himself another glass.

"Well at least we have no shortage of options," Loketral stated.

"Indeed," Cerunon said, in between swigs. "The issue is just in deciding which one to throw our weight behind."

There was another pause.

After several seconds, Loketral spoke up. "Perhaps we ought to just... wait and see."

Cerunon cocked an eyebrow. "What do you mean by that?"

"So," Loketral began, "thus far, every race that has put itself forward a candidate has obtained only one vote- that is, their own- because every other race is either voting for itself or abstaining at the moment. But for any one of them to win Elder Race status, they would need to obtain the backing of other nations- such as, for example, the Union."

"Right, but what are you getting at?"

"Well, we'd hardly be kingmakers, but given that not one of the candidates has been able to obtain a second vote in their favor, and no other polity has yet declared its support for anyone other than itself, if we were to be the first to lend out our support, it's possible that we could set that bid in motion, so to speak. After all, a bid finally getting more than one vote would certainly draw attention, and might attract others to it-"

"-allowing it to pick up momentum like a snowball rolling down a hill," Cerunon finished, taking another swig.

"Precisely," Loketral declared. "It's our backing they need to get off the ground, so let them vie for it, and we see who offers us the best deal."

'That's a good idea," Cerunon said, causing Loketral to visibly puff up with pride. "On the other hand, if we wait, we might lose that advantage- we're not the only people to have abstained from voting thus far. If we want to be the first, we probably ought to begin discussing possible deals with the polities we're considering soon, lest someone else beat us there."

"You make a fair point," Loketral conceded. "It sounded to me like our top candidates were the Ravnikai, Urqacauq, Tal'Akdari, and Carasi?"

"Yes, that seems like a good shortlist."

"In that case, you probably ought to be the one to meet with the Tal'Akdari Ambassador, Savadyr I believe, since you Rhaltek and the Tal'Akdari share that religious ethos." He paused for a second. "You probably ought to be the one to meet with Cracked Beak, too. The Ravnikai have been faithful allies for many years now; we don't want to accidentally slight them by sending someone who's technically an underling." A hint of resentment slipped into his voice, mostly hidden but still there.

Cerunon sat up in surprise. "Are you sure? The v'Riiki and the Ravnikai have a lot in common; a strong communal or clanlike nature, a prominent legislature for governance, you even look somewhat alike, in terms of stature. Surely you and Cracked Beak could get along quite well."

"I appreciate your confidence," Loketral replied, again swelling wth pride. "If you can't get Cracked Beak himself, then I will attend, but if he is available it is best that they receive the full ambassador, rather than a deputy. Besides," he added jokingly, "you'll be far more suited to the temperatures in their dome than I."

Cerunon chuckled. "So, does this mean you're planning to meet with the Urqa and Carasi?"

"Yes, that would make it an even split of candidates between us."

"The Urqa have also been our allies for a long time. If you're worried about the Ravnikai taking insult to getting only the deputy ambassador, why not the Urqa?"

"The Urqa ambassador is quite young, apparently, barely past childhood. I doubt she'll make or give much trouble."

Cerunon raised an eyebrow, but said nothing.

"In that case," Loketral declared, "we both ought to make sure we're presentable, lest others think less of us for it. Do you think it will matter who we contact first, or should we simply extend an invitation and see who responds first?"

"The latter," Cerunon replied, ignoring the subtle jibe at his disheveled look. "I'll go ahead and have my staff send out invitations and begin preparing notes immediately. We'll begin worrying about the rest once we get some responses."

"Good!" Loketral nodded. "I look forward to it."

"As do I," Cerunon answered, internally dreading the idea that he might have to wean himself of drink for a few days before any meeting with another ambassador. "You are dismissed."

Loketral dipped his head and spread his wings in a gesture of farewell, then exited the room.
Last edited by Qianrong on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:48 am, edited 9 times in total.
Formerly Ruridova - Come join Kylaris!
---"Don't kill, and don't be killed, alright? That's the best you can strive for."---

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents