NATION

PASSWORD

Klaus' War {OOC|MT|CLOSED}

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Decius
Senator

Founded: Jul 24, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Decius » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:11 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:Okay, finally got my post up. Sorry if it's not as "high-quality" as the rest of mine have been, I didn't have that long to work on it but I just wanted to publish something to move the RP along.

Apologies in advance if I missed anything, again feel free to bring up anything I addressed unfairly or didn't address here in the thread or with me over TG.

New Decius:

I'm not super well-versed in anti-air tactics, but as far as I know, flak is pretty much the best defense against helicopters. Is this incorrect?

Also, I appreciate the irony of von Sonnenschein's name. ;)

In terms of anti-air defense any of these weapns are effective however flak and SAM’s are most effective against high flying or medium altitude aircraft whereas low-flying high speed helicopters are more often than not better handled with MANPADS. MANPADS are meant for shorter ranges such as dealing with helicopters or medium altitude CAS aircraft.
Proud advocate that Europe stands stronger together than divided. The EU may be flawed in some areas but the idea of a united Europa can only bring good fortune to Europe and the world. For more than two thousand years, Europe was home to conflicts inspired by coveting one another's territory and resources, even making the continent the home to some of the world's most destructive and costly conflicts. But the idea was all wrong in their minds. Their idea was to bring this territory or that under their flag and spread influence on the continent. The idea they should all have been thinking was that the goal should be to bring the continent under one unified flag.

IATA Member

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile
Senator

Founded: Jul 12, 2015
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:48 pm

New Decius wrote:In terms of anti-air defense any of these weapns are effective however flak and SAM’s are most effective against high flying or medium altitude aircraft whereas low-flying high speed helicopters are more often than not better handled with MANPADS. MANPADS are meant for shorter ranges such as dealing with helicopters or medium altitude CAS aircraft.

Hmm, my research actually led me in the opposite direction. Of course, by their very nature MANPADS are going to be suited for shorter range situations, but I've read that modern helicopter gunships are pretty much impervious to that type of weaponry due to DIRCM, which makes it pretty hard to take down a helicopter with MANPADS unless you're firing a volley from the same direction, which is going to be impractical in an environment such as the Sumpfwald anyway.
This is, of course, assuming that you're using up-to-date technology in your helicopters. But why wouldn't you?

Without radar, anti-aircraft guns are pretty much only used at short range, anyways. But the Jagdhunde have radar. Essentially what I'm getting at is that, according to everything I've found in my limited search, SPAAGs would be the deadliest threat a helicopter could encounter. Which is why they are usually avoided by helicopters. This scenario is unique, however, as, in the spirit of your Luftkavallerie, they have decided to risk the odds and fly their choppers into an area saturated with SPAAGs.
Capilean News (Updated 16 November)
Where is the horse gone? Where the warrior?
Where is the treasure-giver? Where are the seats at the feast?
Where are the revels in the hall?
Alas for the bright cup! Alas for the mailed warrior!
Alas for the splendour of the prince!
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

New Decius
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Decius » Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:38 pm

What Reudel will quickly discover is there is a very good reason the Luftkavallerie motto isn’t ‘do or die’ but rather ‘die but do’. The Luftkavallerie is known as the flickering service because its members are not frequent veterans due simply to the nature of combat they are thrown into but you can be sure that the veterans among them are not just fantically loyal and willing to die for Throne and Empire but also are seasoned veterans who will fight using every trick, both fair or dirty, they’ve picked up in their unique combat experience.

These troops are basically intended to suffer casualties at an expected minimum of 60% but they’ll still get the job done, even if they die in the process. All they really have to do is play hell with Reudel’s forces long enough for the 12th and 22nd Armies to finish their encirclement then muahahaha those prisoners’ll be whistling Heil dir im Siegerkranz if they know whats good for them.

Also I found your post to be of the usual high quality you churn them out at
Proud advocate that Europe stands stronger together than divided. The EU may be flawed in some areas but the idea of a united Europa can only bring good fortune to Europe and the world. For more than two thousand years, Europe was home to conflicts inspired by coveting one another's territory and resources, even making the continent the home to some of the world's most destructive and costly conflicts. But the idea was all wrong in their minds. Their idea was to bring this territory or that under their flag and spread influence on the continent. The idea they should all have been thinking was that the goal should be to bring the continent under one unified flag.

IATA Member

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:39 pm

New Decius wrote:What Reudel will quickly discover is there is a very good reason the Luftkavallerie motto isn’t ‘do or die’ but rather ‘die but do’. The Luftkavallerie is known as the flickering service because its members are not frequent veterans due simply to the nature of combat they are thrown into but you can be sure that the veterans among them are not just fantically loyal and willing to die for Throne and Empire but also are seasoned veterans who will fight using every trick, both fair or dirty, they’ve picked up in their unique combat experience.

These troops are basically intended to suffer casualties at an expected minimum of 60% but they’ll still get the job done, even if they die in the process. All they really have to do is play hell with Reudel’s forces long enough for the 12th and 22nd Armies to finish their encirclement then muahahaha those prisoners’ll be whistling Heil dir im Siegerkranz if they know whats good for them.

As an aside:
>60% loss rate
>made up of seasoned veterans

X to Doubt

Anyways, good luck with that encirclement in an environment such as this. Your advance will have slowed to a crawl because of the terrain and because your troops will have to move extremely cautiously and at a snail's pace if they don't want to be caught in an ambush. Even your rear echelon troops will have to be cautious, as there's no way to be sure that every mine, trap, and ambush has been cleared.

Your best bet (for an encirclement) would be to have the 16th Army move through flat land and surround the Sumpfwald as a whole, at which point you would then either have to try to starve out the encircled troops or fight your way through the forest. Trying to fight through the forest with the 12th and 22nd would be a long and bloody affair, because it negates your advantage of numbers and its terrain is entirely suited toward the defenders.

As for Reudel, he won't be concerned with the Luftkavalleriers (?) that made it to the ground. If they want to attack him head on, he's up for the challenge, and has the advantage of terrain, heavy weapons, and presumably numbers. Otherwise, there's little they can do. They've overrun the Fascist pickets, but if they want to do anything else they'll have to run headfirst into Reudel's fortified positions, or either skirt around it until they reach its flank, at which point they might as well just join up with the 22nd and 12th.

(Note that I had envisioned the Sumpfwald as more of a massive region such as the Ardennes rather than a small, individual forest. Apologies if I had not made that clear. I'm realizing that a tactical map might help here.)
How that time has passed away, dark under the cover of night, as if it never were.

The Wanderer

Karevka
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:51 pm

So was my post up to scratch? I can edit it if you wish.

New Decius
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Decius » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:54 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:
New Decius wrote:What Reudel will quickly discover is there is a very good reason the Luftkavallerie motto isn’t ‘do or die’ but rather ‘die but do’. The Luftkavallerie is known as the flickering service because its members are not frequent veterans due simply to the nature of combat they are thrown into but you can be sure that the veterans among them are not just fantically loyal and willing to die for Throne and Empire but also are seasoned veterans who will fight using every trick, both fair or dirty, they’ve picked up in their unique combat experience.

As an aside:
>60% loss rate
>made up of seasoned veterans

X to Doubt

Anyways, good luck with that encirclement in an environment such as this. Your advance will have slowed to a crawl because of the terrain and because your troops will have to move extremely cautiously and at a snail's pace if they don't want to be caught in an ambush. Even your rear echelon troops will have to be cautious, as there's no way to be sure that every mine, trap, and ambush has been cleared.

Your best bet (for an encirclement) would be to have the 16th Army move through flat land and surround the Sumpfwald as a whole, at which point you would then either have to try to starve out the encircled troops or fight your way through the forest. Trying to fight through the forest with the 12th and 22nd would be a long and bloody affair, because it negates your advantage of numbers and its terrain is entirely suited toward the defenders.

As for Reudel, he won't be concerned with the Luftkavalleriers (?) that made it to the ground. If they want to attack him head on, he's up for the challenge, and has the advantage of terrain, heavy weapons, and presumably numbers. Otherwise, there's little they can do. They've overrun the Fascist pickets, but if they want to do anything else they'll have to run headfirst into Reudel's fortified positions, or either skirt around it until they reach its flank, at which point they might as well just join up with the 22nd and 12th.

(Note that I had envisioned the Sumpfwald as more of a massive region such as the Ardennes rather than a small, individual forest. Apologies if I had not made that clear. I'm realizing that a tactical map might help here.)

I figured it was an Ardennes-esque scenario but I also am playing to the fact that Krebs does not possibly have enough professional troops to properly hold up my advance for very long everywhere. Isolated defenses can hold up one division or possibly two but all along the front is less likely.

I would like to point out that, unlike when the Wehrmacht pushed its own offensive through the Ardennes in 1940, modern armies have much more sophisticated engineering vehicles meant to clear paths through terrain like they Ardennes, and the Sumpfwald, which is heavily covered in forest and lacking many sophisticated roads. Fording the Roche River or any of its runoffs is also less of a problem due to bridge-laying vehicles also being attached to said engineering units.

You see 16th Armee will continue to try and press Krebs professional troops around Stammburg, trying to goad him out into engagements even if on a smaller scale where superior German numbers of infantry, armor, and aircraft would win the day. The real key to the Sumpfwald encirclement isn’t in fact from the land but from the sea.

If 22nd and 12th Armee have Reudel surrounded in this pocket rather than slowly closing in on him they will form an unbreakable steel barrier to prevent escape. At this time elements of the flotilla at sea will begin moving from blockading Stammburg to offshore of the Sumpfwald Pocket where they will be in range to bombard Reudel’s troops with not only cruise missiles but also the conventional guns on the Destroyers and Cruisers as well. This will coincide with what I would term relentless air strikes by the ground based CAS squadrons to basically bomb Reudel into submission or at least into confusion. True the aircraft will take casualties but not only will his supply of anti-air munitions begin to run low until his Jagdhund are out of ammunition but also any time they do fire they risk the now much closer artillery around the pocket launching counterbattery fire on the position.

If he cannot be made to surrender by air and naval bombardment then I’ll send in the infantry and fight it out in the brush.

Its weird to actually safely say OOC what I intend to use as a strategy IC without worrying. Most RP’s people will just metagame as soon as they hear it and come up with the perfect countermeasure but its nice to RP with people who have a genuine creative bone

Oh and posted
Last edited by New Decius on Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

IATA Member

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:53 pm

Hello all, as you might have noticed, I have posted.

Now, an important announcement about the state of the RP:

Summer is over, and with it, my freedom from responsibilities. I have numerous obligations which, as I mentioned earlier, will not allow me to have as much time as I would like to spend on NationStates or on leisure in general.

However, I have decided that NationStates is one of my obligations. I started this RP and I very much intend to finish it, even if, by the end, I'm the only one posting. And since NationStates is one of my obligations, I've also decided that it should function as such, and thus have a rigid and unavoidable schedule.

I have found that I work best on a schedule, with deadlines that cannot be moved back or avoided. So, here is my planned schedule for the foreseeable future:
Every:
-Tuesday, from 7:30 - 10:30 pm :
I will post in the IC. Note that this IC post may be shorter or less comprehensive than others, simply because I will have less time to synthesize it.

-Saturday, from 2:00 - 10:30 pm :
I will post in the IC. This post will always be comprehensive and up to my usual standard.

-Sunday, any time :
I will update the roster, ORBAT, map, timeline, etc. Any of the RP's resources which I feel isn't up-to-date will be overhauled.

-At any time :
I may post OOC updates, and answer questions in the OOC or telegrams, at any time. My NationStates access is not strictly limited to the above three days, so I will definitely be able to communicate with you most of the time. Those days are simply those when I will have enough downtime to complete a more time-intensive task.

Notes:
*All times are in Pacific Standard Time.

**There are about four or five weekends during the Autumn and Winter when I will be away for rowing events, and thus won't be able to post. None of these is particularly close, but I will post relevant dates and information about a few days in advance for each.

Now, as to this schedule. This is what I think will work best for me. I didn't want to slow my post rate down to once per week, which would be easiest for me; so I compromised on two per week. Hopefully that will be enough to sate all of you.

If you find that the RP is starting to move slowly, I would suggest you to invite your friends to join. The RP is open, after all, and it's up to other people to post, because two posts per week is really the most I can do.

Once more, my TGs are always open for questions.

New Decius wrote:-snip-

New Decius, I enjoyed your latest post. The politics of it all really got my gears turning. I must say that it would be extremely interesting if German public opinion turned away from Capilean intervention and the German elections became the most important battleground of the war, with Royalist Capile's fate hinging on just a few ballots...

Ah, and as to my latest post. When I set out writing, I had intended not only to respond to your loan with a passage about Wilhelm Knott's government, since I think it's time some more light was shed on his situation, but I also wanted to portray the exploits of one of the Reich's submarines, and was toying with the idea of having them ambush your navy in the Red Sea.

Unfortunately, I had to scrap all of these ideas because of time constraints. Hopefully, the scrapped elements will return with my next post come Saturday. Just wanted to let you know that I didn't ignore those parts of your post on purpose.

The Wanderer

New Decius
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Decius » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:30 pm

[Sarcasm Engaged]

Oh good cause I was just getting ready to arm the nukes when you said that. Ill stop them now

IATA Member

Luxembourg-Bavaria
Envoy

Founded: Jan 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxembourg-Bavaria » Fri Aug 30, 2019 4:38 am

hey ah i was in this at the beginning and i just refounded. You said i could join back so do you want me to start from scratch and redeploy or what because when i CTE'd my troops had just landed at Gravines. I guess we could just say they were improving the defenses and stuff the whole time.
Breaking News! Chancellor Kasel has announced another foreign intervention in the country of Laraosi. This move has been echoed with some praise, but many are decrying the move as another "Capilean Folly." The Chancellor is scheduled to give a speech on the matter in the next few days.

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:10 am

Luxembourg-Bavaria wrote:hey ah i was in this at the beginning and i just refounded. You said i could join back so do you want me to start from scratch and redeploy or what because when i CTE'd my troops had just landed at Gravines. I guess we could just say they were improving the defenses and stuff the whole time.

That's fine, note that you'll be coming up against a VF offensive aimed at capturing Gravines.

The Wanderer

New Decius
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Decius » Fri Aug 30, 2019 10:17 am

Luxembourg-Bavaria wrote:hey ah i was in this at the beginning and i just refounded. You said i could join back so do you want me to start from scratch and redeploy or what because when i CTE'd my troops had just landed at Gravines. I guess we could just say they were improving the defenses and stuff the whole time.

That's fine, note that you'll be coming up against a VF offensive aimed at capturing Gravines.

I’m waiting on your comprehensive post before I post

IATA Member

New United States of Columbia
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New United States of Columbia » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:21 pm

...well nuts.
http://i.imgur.com/l5GAwrs.jpg
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature!

New Decius
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Decius » Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:37 pm

New United States of Columbia wrote:...well nuts.

Quite rather

IATA Member

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:14 am

Managed to post, although it's a few minutes late, I suppose. Sorry if it isn't what you'd expected, I had a lot to cover and felt that this was the most sweeping way I could do it. Let me know if it didn't work for you.

I'm saving a few good ideas for the next post or two. Namely, expect a comprehensive update on both Nemetz and Blücher and their situations (similar to the post I just uploaded, but probably not both in the same post). Also, I am planning to finally shed some light on the Dutch and French and what's happening in their governments.
New Decius wrote:
I’m waiting on your comprehensive post before I post

So, I did consider staging a Fascist submarine attack in the Red Sea, but ultimately decided that it was unrealistic. The Royalist Navy is still by far the largest and deadliest of the factions'. What submarines the Fascists do have and which would be able to slip past Royalist ships would be more concerned with harassing shipping than floating all the way out to the Red Sea (no friendly ports either). Then there's the issue of how this submarine(s) would obtain the intelligence about German fleet movements in the first place.

Anyways, I think it's better that I abstain for realism's sake.

The Wanderer

Karevka
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:12 am

So where can my troops land?

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:42 pm

I have updated the map.

Karevka wrote:So where can my troops land?

Any Monarchist controlled port. Südhoof or Jaroburg, or the de facto capital, Rochefurt.

The Wanderer

Karevka
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:41 pm

The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:I have updated the map.

Karevka wrote:So where can my troops land?

Any Monarchist controlled port. Südhoof or Jaroburg, or the de facto capital, Rochefurt.

Okay, also know school is starting for me in two days.

New Decius
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby New Decius » Sun Sep 01, 2019 11:47 pm

Karevka wrote:
The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile wrote:I have updated the map.

Okay, also know school is starting for me in two days.

Ha well I’ve got you all beat in terms of obligations IRL. I’m off for maneuvers in Poland in a week. My posts may not be of the same quality as usual since most of my time will be devoted to training with my colleagues just across the border. Must keep at practice so we can keep those Russians out.

IATA Member

Luxembourg-Bavaria
Envoy

Founded: Jan 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Luxembourg-Bavaria » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:03 am

sorry for the short post im writing this during school but I think it works.

also i know this doesnt really matter but im not on the roster yet.

anybody whos confused go to page 2 read my posts.
Last edited by Luxembourg-Bavaria on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Breaking News! Chancellor Kasel has announced another foreign intervention in the country of Laraosi. This move has been echoed with some praise, but many are decrying the move as another "Capilean Folly." The Chancellor is scheduled to give a speech on the matter in the next few days.

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:02 pm

Luxembourg-Bavaria wrote:sorry for the short post im writing this during school but I think it works.

also i know this doesnt really matter but im not on the roster yet.

anybody whos confused go to page 2 read my posts.

No problem. I removed you a while ago about the time you CTE'd, you'll be re-added this Sunday (see OP if you haven't already, but I now have a posting schedule).

The Wanderer

Karevka
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:54 pm

I don't know how to write my guys boarding the boats. I got the name of the expedition leader (Major General Nikita Stepnov) and I want the weather to be rainy and gloomy but I don't know how to write the scene.

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:46 pm

Karevka wrote:I don't know how to write my guys boarding the boats. I got the name of the expedition leader (Major General Nikita Stepnov) and I want the weather to be rainy and gloomy but I don't know how to write the scene.

Sorry you've got writer's block. My suggestions:

-Introduce some characters; perhaps the officer commanding the expedition, and/or one of the rank-and-file soldiers. Explain their origins, why they are fighting, what they're missing back home, what makes them an interesting character, their feelings about the war in Capile and their government, etc.

-Describe in detail the plan Stepnov intends to undertake, or perhaps how exactly he is going to fool the Capilean officials into believing that his is a peace-keeping expedition.

-Describe the general feeling of the soldiers about to go about the mission. Are they negative, feeling that they are going to die in a pointless war for a lost cause far from home? Are they excited to fight for a cause they believe in? (Most likely) A mix of both?

I'm sure others can think of more, but hopefully, one of those will get you started. I find that once I start writing, the rest often comes to me naturally.

The Wanderer

Karevka
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:10 am

Karevka wrote:I don't know how to write my guys boarding the boats. I got the name of the expedition leader (Major General Nikita Stepnov) and I want the weather to be rainy and gloomy but I don't know how to write the scene.

Sorry you've got writer's block. My suggestions:

-Introduce some characters; perhaps the officer commanding the expedition, and/or one of the rank-and-file soldiers. Explain their origins, why they are fighting, what they're missing back home, what makes them an interesting character, their feelings about the war in Capile and their government, etc.

-Describe in detail the plan Stepnov intends to undertake, or perhaps how exactly he is going to fool the Capilean officials into believing that his is a peace-keeping expedition.

-Describe the general feeling of the soldiers about to go about the mission. Are they negative, feeling that they are going to die in a pointless war for a lost cause far from home? Are they excited to fight for a cause they believe in? (Most likely) A mix of both?

I'm sure others can think of more, but hopefully, one of those will get you started. I find that once I start writing, the rest often comes to me naturally.

Thanks.

Vymar
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 14, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Vymar » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Official Name of Country: The United Federal Republic of Vymar
Colloquial Name of Country: Vymar
Form of Government: Federal Republic
Head of State: John Williams
Head of Government: John Williams
Population: 104,000,000

Which Faction will you support? BSU, Saatland, Dutch, French
How will you support them? Financial Aid, Military Aid, Naval and Air support at first, perhaps a few strategical strikes using ground troops if the need comes around. If the conflict escalates, ground troops will be deployed first.
What do you hope to accomplish by intervening? Propping up a socialist state in Capile while also maintaining Dutch, French, and Saatland sovereignty. It'll be difficult, but I'm sure that the BSU will be willing to cooperate with another left-wing government. That being said, if the BSU does not cooperate, the Dutch, French and Saatland will continue to be funded as long as they fight the monarchists and fascists.
RP Sample: https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=448691&sid=8575421fcf8dbc3bb521e3f19d8a56ce
Questions/Comments/Notes: I've got more information in my factbooks if you would like a more thorough look at my nation
The United Federal Republic of Vymar
Proud Owner of Realpolitik Armaments and The Ballero Group!
Proud Founding Member of the Commonwealth of Free Nations
Proud Member of OSAN
I'm part of the Estaria Region, are you?

Senator

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand Duchy Of Nova Capile » Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:12 pm

Vymar wrote:-Snipped Application-

Accepted.

The Wanderer

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents