NATION

PASSWORD

The Union of Nations [NWI Only|IC]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Cymiopolis
Lobbyist

Founded: May 02, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Cymiopolis » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:14 pm

Karteria wrote:OOC: This resolution shall be debated for a few more days, but once edits have been made, it shall go to vote in this thread (not the regional poll).

Can't we just use the regional poll, specify that only UN members can vote and enforce this rule in case of rule-breakers (same thing we do for non-NWI citizens voting in GA polls)?

Karteria
Envoy

Founded: Jun 28, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:31 pm

Cymiopolis wrote:
Karteria wrote:OOC: This resolution shall be debated for a few more days, but once edits have been made, it shall go to vote in this thread (not the regional poll).

Can't we just use the regional poll, specify that only UN members can vote and enforce this rule in case of rule-breakers (same thing we do for non-NWI citizens voting in GA polls)?

OOC: I think it's more effective to utilize the one here so that we keep regular regional polls separate from UN activity. There would fewer conflicts between polls that way. I'll notify everyone via other means when we are voting on it.
World Assembly Delegate for the New West Indies region.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Final Draft Before Vote

Postby Karteria » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:14 pm

Deputy Isringhausen walks to every seat, passing out copies.

"This is the new draft of 'Open Space,' with the edits mostly coming from the Karterian Delegation. We included an organizational redesign as well additions that include addressing terraformation, a permanent space security force, and further specifications of claiming celestial bodies."

Authors: Kronshtadt, Karteria

Sponsors: Karteria

Category: Legislation

Affects: Aerospace, Scientific Research

Knowing space as the final frontier for humankind,

Understanding our thirst for knowledge and our relative lack of it outside our world,

Realizing the diplomatic and cultural significance of nations unifying to achieve a common goal,

Emphasizing the importance of new astronomical discoveries and scientific advancement,

The Union of Nations Security Council hereby enacts the following:

1. The Union of Nations Space Command shall be established, herein referred to as the UNSC (while not referring to the UN Security Council), which will be a separate entity within the Union of Nations but also falls under the jurisdiction of the Union Assembly and Security Council when concerning issues on the Earth's surface or other specifically described situations

2. The UNSC is authorized to establish a permanent space security force utilizing current UN Peacekeepers

1. All provisions of UAR#1 apply to UN Peacekeepers while in space

2. Any Peacekeepers being utilized by the UNSC are encouraged to be trained in space flight and other necessary space training

3. Ships and military resources shall be donated to the UNPC by member-states as they see fit, and the UN shall use donated funds for military purposes as it sees fit

1. Such ships shall not surpass the cruiser-equivalent class level, and the UN shall define specific parameters for such class following the passage of this resolution

2. Additional funds may be procured via future resolutions
    4. This security force shall be utilized for enforcing UN law, confirmed claims by member-states, and protection of earth and other territories
  3. The Scientific Research and Development Department, herein defined as the SRDD, shall be established within the UNSC as the backbone of UN astronomical research and scientific discovery in space, and shall state its main goals to the UNSC once established, such pursuing the discovery of extraterrestrial life, analyzing geologic and chemical makeups of extraterrestrial bodies, etc.

4. In the event that the survival of the human species is in jeopardy due to an extraterrestrial threat, the Sapien Protocol shall be enforced. While this protocol is in effect:

1. The UNSC shall be granted access to the entire UN Peace Corps without Security Council approval and may utilize it with complete military authority

2. The UNSC shall be granted access to any UN member state's space forces as it sees fit

3. The UNSC shall be granted access to muster an offensive military of its own in addition to the UNPC that will serve in the interests of the UN; but, more importantly, that military shall pursue our survival at all costs
  5. The UNSC shall convene within one month of a Member State claiming an interstellar body

1. Such bodies include but are not limited to:

1. Planets

2. Gas giants

3. Dwarf planets

4. Asteroid belts

5. Gaseous anomalies or nebulas
    2. Member States may only claim interstellar bodies when they have:

1. Landed on the surface (for solid bodies) or

2. Orbited for at least 3 days (for gaseous bodies)
    3. Nations may not claim Stars, Black Holes, or entire systems consisting of more than 3 non-dwarf planets

4. Nations may only claim one classed body previously defines until their claim is decided upon by the UNSC

5. The UNSC will confirm or deny the claim(s) in question based on the aforementioned criteria and the intent of the claim

1. The Security Council may veto such confirmation or denial; such a motion can be proposed by any SC member, and it will be decided by a simple majority vote

OOC: The new draft can also be found here as well as the original post. The vote on this proposal will begin in three days.
Last edited by Karteria on Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:07 am, edited 6 times in total.

New Sistonia
Civil Servant

Founded: Sep 06, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby New Sistonia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:19 pm

*Reads through copy, makes a few notes*

“The Sistonian delegation wishes to address an issue that we believe has still not been corrected. We are worried about the lack of resources available to the UNSC. There is no mention of building ships, shipyards, funding, or the necessities of preserving a space force that can fight for humanity. We all have seen what others out there can do (mentionignnthe kidnap of our leaders), and without proper and specific details on how the SC or UNSC will be able to maintain and grow this fleet...we fear for humanity. Thus, if this does not get addressed, the Sistonian vote will be a Nay.”

Kronshtadt
Lobbyist

Founded: Jul 27, 2018
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kronshtadt » Fri Mar 15, 2019 1:09 pm

Lady Jean Nevsky, Kronshtadtian UN Ambassador, raises her placard to be called upon.

"I wish to address the concerns of New Sistonia, as we believe they have found a fair flaw in the Resolution. Since the UN only buys or is gifted ships and tanks currently, I believe we can implement the same model for spatial vehicles. I know that the Kronshtadtian Government would be happy to contract to build ships once Spacestation Obelisk is completed."

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:50 pm

New Sistonia wrote:*Reads through copy, makes a few notes*

“The Sistonian delegation wishes to address an issue that we believe has still not been corrected. We are worried about the lack of resources available to the UNSC. There is no mention of building ships, shipyards, funding, or the necessities of preserving a space force that can fight for humanity. We all have seen what others out there can do (mentioning the kidnap of our leaders), and without proper and specific details on how the SC or UNSC will be able to maintain and grow this fleet...we fear for humanity. Thus, if this does not get addressed, the Sistonian vote will be a Nay.”

Palenque stands, straightening his tie overconfidently.

"We have acknowledged Sistonian concerns by amending clause iii of section II to read 'This security force shall be utilized for enforcing UN law, confirmed claims by member-states, and protection of earth and other territories.' Therefore, the proposal no longer necessarily discourages militarization, which will allow for necessary protections to come to fruition.

However, we wish to inform the Sistonian delegation that they do not have a seat at the Security Council, thus not being able to vote on this proposal. While feedback is appreciated, we suggest for them to read over our voting procedures again – a bit more carefully this time."

He gives the Sistonians a stern look and retakes his seat, somewhat disgruntled.

New Sistonia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sistonia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:53 pm

Page Boleslav, New Sistonian UN Ambassador, raises her placard to be called upon.

“While contracting out construction of ships to private entities may be possible, we must remember that the UN has no means of making money nor levying taxes against others. Thus, with your proposed resolution we are relying on the grace of companies to lose money in producing ships for the UNSC. If I may be so bold, we believe that the best outcome would be the construction of a shipyard within our solar system to act as the construction force behind our fleet, the moon can be a training academy of sorts, and resources can be procured through a nations claimants of entities for a fixed period of time* rather. Should other meme bees agree, we ask that it be put to a vote if needed, or amended as such.”

OOC: *to clarify if someone makes a claim to an interstellar body, they can either pay a one time price for that claim or give a set % of a set amount of resources to the UNSC caused for a fixed period of time. This part may need to be worked out

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:18 pm

New Sistonia wrote:Page Boleslav, New Sistonian UN Ambassador, raises her placard to be called upon.

“While contracting out construction of ships to private entities may be possible, we must remember that the UN has no means of making money nor levying taxes against others. Thus, with your proposed resolution we are relying on the grace of companies to lose money in producing ships for the UNSC. If I may be so bold, we believe that the best outcome would be the construction of a shipyard within our solar system to act as the construction force behind our fleet, the moon can be a training academy of sorts, and resources can be procured through a nations claimants of entities for a fixed period of time* rather. Should other meme bees agree, we ask that it be put to a vote if needed, or amended as such.”

OOC: *to clarify if someone makes a claim to an interstellar body, they can either pay a one time price for that claim or give a set % of a set amount of resources to the UNSC caused for a fixed period of time. This part may need to be worked out

"This is certainly a fair point. It is important that we establish protocols for conducting a space agency under the UN, and we can worry about paying for it afterwards. The UN has plenty of manpower pool to pull from currently, and nations can also donate tech and equipment to get the command started. In its current state, the proposal would allow the UN to conduct affairs with companies as it sees fit.

However, we agree that the costs will need to be addressed. We will look to specify further regarding how the Union should go about getting materials and ships.

In other news, we will be striking section VI, which does not directly deal with astronomical claims or space security and can be legislated at a later time. "
Last edited by Karteria on Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leavath
Civilian

Founded: Oct 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Leavath » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:18 pm

I'd like to bring up the issue of militarisation of space.

As all of you now know, I am against it and I think it should be banned.

OOC: I'm not good at writing large pieces.

Farechia
Political Columnist

Founded: May 01, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Farechia » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Leavath wrote:I'd like to bring up the issue of militarisation of space.

I agree.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Farechia wrote:

I agree.

Palenque notices the two delegates, who are speaking for the first time in a long time. He stands to speak.

"I must say, first of all – welcome! We are happy to hear your feedback.

The Karterian Delegation is certainly sympathetic to the idea that space should not be militarized. However, the UN necessitates ways to protect itself, member-states, and enforces its laws in space. Therefore, a balance must be struck.

Farechia – would adding restrictions to the types of ships and weaponry allowed to be utilized, while perhaps encouraging other member-states to not heavily militarize, allay your concerns?"

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:20 am

New Sistonia wrote:*Reads through copy, makes a few notes*

“The Sistonian delegation wishes to address an issue that we believe has still not been corrected. We are worried about the lack of resources available to the UNSC. There is no mention of building ships, shipyards, funding, or the necessities of preserving a space force that can fight for humanity. We all have seen what others out there can do (mentionignnthe kidnap of our leaders), and without proper and specific details on how the SC or UNSC will be able to maintain and grow this fleet...we fear for humanity. Thus, if this does not get addressed, the Sistonian vote will be a Nay.”

"To address Sistonian concerns, we have added a clause that allows for the donation of ships, funds, and other military resources for the security force in space. While we have considered the procurement of funds, we have decided that such a task should be reserved for its own resolution in the future. We are happy to donate our world-class resolution writing team to get to work on such a resolution.

Per UN orders, the resolution will be up to a vote later today."

OOC: While I do not wish to directly copy, such a resolution could look like what the WA has already done in GAR17.

Soullsey
Civilian

Founded: Dec 10, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Soullsey » Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:54 am

Karteria wrote:

Farechia wrote:
I agree.

Palenque notices the two delegates, who are speaking for the first time in a long time. He stands to speak.

"I must say, first of all – welcome! We are happy to hear your feedback.

The Karterian Delegation is certainly sympathetic to the idea that space should not be militarized. However, the UN necessitates ways to protect itself, member-states, and enforces its laws in space. Therefore, a balance must be struck.

Farechia – would adding restrictions to the types of ships and weaponry allowed to be utilized, while perhaps encouraging other member-states to not heavily militarize, allay your concerns?"

Yes absolutely.
Any military ship that goes into space should be for defence ONLY.
Ships meant for attacking will pose a problem in the future.

This should apply for anything landing on the moon or Mars as well.
Any ship meant for military use that goes into space should be for defense only.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Sun Mar 17, 2019 2:01 pm

Soullsey wrote:*snip*
Yes absolutely.
Any military ship that goes into space should be for defence ONLY.
Ships meant for attacking will pose a problem in the future.

This should apply for anything landing on the moon or Mars as well.
Any ship meant for military use that goes into space should be for defense only.

"Your concerns have been addressed in clauses i, iii.a, and iv. To summarize, the UNSC can only harbor ships of cruiser class or lower, utilize such a security force for protection and enforcement of UN law, and must adhere to UAR#1 (which states that the UN Peacekeeper Corps 'will only be utilized for civilian-based security'). This has been thoroughly covered."

The Union of Nations
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 27, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of Nations » Tue Mar 19, 2019 3:34 pm

The vote on Security Council Resolution #1: "Open Space" has concluded.

New Zealand and Taiwan both voted against the resolution, so it passes on a 3-2 vote with four abstentions. Its contents will go into effect immediately.
This nation is run by Karteria.

New Sistonia
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby New Sistonia » Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:07 pm

Page Boleslav, New Sistonian UN Ambassador, raises her placard.

"Ladies and gentlemen of the Union of Nations, I am here to introduce the New Sistonian Chancellor, Chris Goehe."

Chancellor Goehe walks up to face the Assembly:

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am honored to be able to speak here today. Most of you know what has transpired with recent events and the claims that have arisen from it. I am here to inform you what we, New Sistonia, will do in the upcoming weeks. I have signed off on Operation Pathfinder, a small operation to go forth into space to confirm or deny any claims that may seem controversial. Due to the severity of this recent event, I had to reduce the timeline of the project, scrapping the tests that we planned to conduct, leading right into the construction phase. The point that I am getting at is that I am inviting the global community to join us. We will be launching three *Cruisers to explore what the Karterian Space Agency discovered. These three ships will have room for 20 troops on each ship, and after taking out essential crew, that leaves us with a possible 45 open spots for any nation to send doctors, scientists, or soldiers along for the voyage.

What we ask from you is that each nation contributes at least 1 gold bar to this cause. Many may be upset by this, but with help from every nation, we may be able to get our leaders back. We will keep you and others updated. Thank you."

With that, the Sistonian delegation takes their seats.

*https://goo.gl/images/zQ1sX8

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:28 am

Palenque rises.

"Karteria motions for UN Peacekeeper Intervention in Idiocarasia, specifically in the capital city (Host of Cara). The new civil war has created a refugee crisis in which thousands of civilians are being expelled from their homes at an alarming rate. The UN must intervene.

Additionally, the motion will also establish a no-fly-zone over the nation. Both actions will proceed indefinitely until violence significantly subsides. It is certain that violence will continue, even after the new civil war officially ends."

Shakadia
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 25, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Shakadia » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 am

huh homes? idiocarasians are nomads, they don't settle

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:56 am

Shakadia wrote:huh homes? idiocarasians are nomads, they don't settle

"Host of Cara is the noted meeting place of the Flaming Hand Council, and is largely where most Idiocarasians do settle, when such occurs. Additionally, that is the location of the Grand Arena, which draws many Idiocarasians to one place.

Thus, that is the location where such Peacekeepers will center evacuation procedures, considering the large number of civilians in one place already."

Shakadia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakadia » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:19 am

Karteria wrote:
Shakadia wrote:huh homes? idiocarasians are nomads, they don't settle

"Host of Cara is the noted meeting place of the Flaming Hand Council, and is largely where most Idiocarasians do settle, when such occurs. Additionally, that is the location of the Grand Arena, which draws many Idiocarasians to one place.

Thus, that is the location where such Peacekeepers will center evacuation procedures, considering the large number of civilians in one place already."

we should protect the people and i'm not arguing that we shouldn't
i'm saying that they're used to war and it'll be bloody even in the refugee camps
heck do you think an idiocarasian warlord will allow his people to run and not join the civil war
the refugee camps will be empty, the host of
again they're nomads, they don't live in concentrated areas, even the host of cara isn't just one standing settlement it's like 1 or 2 settlements and hundreds of smaller nomadic caravans so it wont be efficient

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:15 am

Shakadia wrote:
Karteria wrote:"Host of Cara is the noted meeting place of the Flaming Hand Council, and is largely where most Idiocarasians do settle, when such occurs. Additionally, that is the location of the Grand Arena, which draws many Idiocarasians to one place.

we should protect the people and i'm not arguing that we shouldn't
i'm saying that they're used to war and it'll be bloody even in the refugee camps
heck do you think an idiocarasian warlord will allow his people to run and not join the civil war
again they're nomads, they don't live in concentrated areas, even the host of cara isn't just one standing settlement it's like 1 or 2 settlements and hundreds of smaller nomadic caravans so it wont be efficient

"Violence is unlikely in refugee camps. UN Peacekeepers are well-trained and well-equipped – they are the equivalent of modern soldiers. They can adequately protect civilians and the camps themselves from outsiders.

The UNPC will broadcast its message to all radios in the country, as well as sending pamphlets to every major population pocket, urging any civilian that wants to escape the onslaught to move to Host of Cara for evacuation. Because those 'nomadic caravans' aren't settled down, they can be on the move even quicker than normal. Your evidence actually proves that our operation can be more efficient, rather than less.

Finally, even if most Idiocarasians will want to fight and are trained to fight, that doesn't mean all of them will. There would still be, at the very least, thousands of civilians wishing to escape the violence – not to mention any tourists or foreign citizens. Are you willing to let thousands of people be subject to these atrocities without the international community batting an eye? I don't think you're quite that inhumane, ambassador.
Last edited by Karteria on Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shakadia
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Shakadia » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:18 am

Karteria wrote:
Shakadia wrote:we should protect the people and i'm not arguing that we shouldn't

"Violence is unlikely in refugee camps. UN Peacekeepers are well-trained and well-equipped – they are the equivalent of modern soldiers. They can adequately protect civilians and the camps themselves from outsiders.

The UNPC will broadcast its message to all radios in the country, as well as sending pamphlets to every major population pocket, urging any civilian that wants to escape the onslaught to move to Host of Cara for evacuation. Because those 'nomadic caravans' aren't settled down, they can be on the move even quicker than normal. Your evidence actually proves that our operation can be more efficient, rather than less.

Finally, even if most Idiocarasians will want to fight and are trained to fight, that doesn't mean all of them will. There would still be, at the very least, thousands of civilians wishing to escape the violence – not to mention any tourists or foreign citizens. Are you willing to let thousands of people to be subject to these atrocities without the international community batting an eye? I don't think you're quite that inhumane, ambassador.

i agree with, then let it be, we will help in the evacuation

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:39 am

Shakadia wrote:
Karteria wrote:"Violence is unlikely in refugee camps. UN Peacekeepers are well-trained and well-equipped – they are the equivalent of modern soldiers. They can adequately protect civilians and the camps themselves from outsiders.

Finally, even if most Idiocarasians will want to fight and are trained to fight, that doesn't mean all of them will. There would still be, at the very least, thousands of civilians wishing to escape the violence – not to mention any tourists or foreign citizens. Are you willing to let thousands of people to be subject to these atrocities without the international community batting an eye? I don't think you're quite that inhumane, ambassador.

i agree with, then let it be, we will help in the evacuation

"Very well, we are glad to see your support for the measure, regardless of your voting power."

OOC: There will be a vote on the motion starting tomorrow.

Rhodes-Land
Political Columnist

Founded: Mar 07, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhodes-Land » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:10 pm

The Rhodes-Land Government has formally requested urgent action from members of the UN regarding the situation in Idiocarasia. The statement, addressed to all members who are able, requests the resolution be made a top priority before the forces defending the capital are overrun.

"The forces approaching the Capital heavily outnumber the defenders and the evacuation is still in progress as such the resolution must be debated and passed with all due haste before the situation becomes too dire and the evacuation is called off."
Last edited by Rhodes-Land on Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Karteria
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Karteria » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:18 pm

Rhodes-Land wrote:The Rhodes-Land Government has formally requested urgent action from members of the UN regarding the situation in Idiocarasia. The statement, addressed to all members who are able, requests the resolution be made a top priority before the forces defending the capital are overrun.

“Once the current Security Council motion passes, as we expect, the situation will be adequately addressed. UN Peacekeepers will protect civilians as necessary against the ravaging hoards approaching the capital.”

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents