NATION

PASSWORD

Rebellion against tyrants is obedience to God [IC|MT|Open]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 08, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:00 am

LEOZINA, DAY 1 of the L.W.M.—The numbers of the Leozina Watch Militia steadily grew over the course of the afternoon, as more and more people heard of the establishment thereof, and came to join up. There was developing suspicion within some quarters of the population of the growing Royalist presence, however none were brave enough to venture out and declare their opposition to an entire militia of virile men. Of course, the militia was not only filled with the young and strong, and there were a sizeable number of those more advanced in age. East reckoned that they would likely serve well in administration or in public service, rather than in battle, if worse came to worst. He and Thatcher, after a pleasant lunch, decided to get things going quicker. Some posters had been packed in the crates, and they were quickly posted strategically in the streets and known haunts of Royalist sympathisers.

Training had begun for the watchmen already enlisted on a large, square and flat green close to the city centre. They were first instructed in the standard rules of behaviour, including the rank structure of the Militia, uniform requirements and soldierly behaviour. Most quickly grasped the idea, no doubt hastened by the ever-present real threat of attack and thus the pertinent need for discipline within the ranks. Though some military theorists had hitherto posited that drill and marching were of secondary importance to military and tactical ability, East firmly believed in the need for strict discipline, sharp drill and effortless marching as the key foundation of a successful armed force. Indeed, most of the men already knew the general tenets of marching and drill already, and with practice, became rather good at the basics of marching and halting for only a few hours' work, though the timing of the movements left much to be desired.

At the end of the afternoon, the militia had amounted to over 300 men, which had been ordered to form in four ranks facing the centre of the green. Most were sloppily dressed in their normal street clothes and apart from positions in file and ranks their bore little resemblance to soldiers. East found a sturdy box and stood out in front of the formed-up men.

“From what I have seen, to day has been an excellent and most productive first day of the Leozina Watch Militia. I shall have much good news to send to our good friend Sir Alexander about the most positive efforts displayed by you, his loyal subjects. The road ahead will be difficult; our enemies must we vanquish, and thereby advance the Cause and deliver Leozina and Posteastan into the hands of him who is ordained by God. But God preventeth us with his blessings of goodness and goodwill, and the Holy Ghost chargeth us with spirit and determination. Let us therefore pray in the way Christ our Lord taught us.”

Taking off their hats and berets, the green resounded with the intonation that was so familiar to all Orthodox Posteastans and Christians every where: “Our Father which art in heaven; hallowed be thy name; thy kingdom come; thy will be done, in earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive them that trespass against us. Lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil. Amen.”

This done, East continued. “Now, you will have surely all realise by now that serving in His Posteastan Majesty's Militia is not easy. You will have to learn discipline, order, and obedience. To day, you have been taught by your officers and by those who have had experience in the armed forces, the basic tenets of military drill and marching. You may ask, 'Why need must we learn how to walk and move in a fanciful fashion? When we be under attack nothing, no about of marching or turning about will save us, surely, but skill and experience with the firearm.' But I must tell you all that are here assembled now, and to all who are yet to join us: a fighting force need must have discipline and order and obedience. It is no use of your leaders plan an attack but each one of you decides to do things his own way. No; a fighting force is a unified force. This is what we must instil in you.

“Furthermore, it is a means of raising morale within Leozina itself. When your wives, sisters, children or friends see us marching down the street, in smart uniforms and rifles, their hearts shall be lightened and filled with hope that we shall indeed, vanquish the enemies of the Cause and bring peace to these lands. But do not fear; you shall surely be taught military strategy, learn how to shoot straight, how to use the various weapons which we are presently obtaining for the Militia here, and how to defend and attack. To morrow, Company I, led presently by Captain Daniel Ionescu, will practise the use of the rifle. Therefore, every man in Company I who already owns or has a rifle at home, is to bring it to morrow at 0900 hours.

“That is, however, not the only job of this Militia. We must also serve the people of Leozina. Firstly, the present government-controlled police are ineffective and poorly or irregularly paid. Starting from tomorrow morning, there shall be men patrolling the streets of Leozina from dawn to dusk, in shifts. Company II shall for this week have this job, patrolling the streets, maintaining the peace and assisting the public. One platoon every three hours, starting from 0600 hours and ending at 2100 hours. Your captain will explain it to you after this. Company III will engage in further training in strategy and communications. Report at the Royalist Headquarters, the tea room, tomorrow at 0900 hours. Finally, Company IV will engage in physical labour, to strenghten your bodies and develop your endurance. Filling potholes, repairing roads, fences and civic infrastructure, picking up rubbish and cleaning the streets will be your allocated tasks for tomorrow. Report to the Royalist Headquarters tomorrow at 0900 hours as well. That will be all. Good day; you are dismissed.”
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Founded: May 15, 2017
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 am

7:00am. Mussolini Military Base, Kingdom of Lux Pulchrae

The Mussolini Military Base was one of the Kingdom's top facilities. Since the country had no external enemies since the Second World War, the military has been mostly on standby, but that never stopped the kingdom from training like there was war tomorrow. The all training and no war had made Lux Pulchraean troops anxious and almost trigger happy, they were dogs of war and they were starved. The top officials in Defense as well as Foreign Affairs and the King's Desk had decided on 500 troops for the time being, seeing the conflict as a small matter, only a small dispatch was needed.

The base was abuzz with movement. Men ran here, other went there, trucks moved supplies, planes were loaded to the ceiling with either men, cargo or both. Five C-17 Globemaster planes were scheduled to be on the detail, six were on the runway. Two full of troops, two hybrid, and the last two for 'heavy' cargo. The 500 from the 2nd Battalion, part of the the 3rd Infantry "Savoia" Regiment, were ready. They took care of domestics hours before. Sons kissed their mothers, husbands kissed their wives, fathers kissed their children, all goodbyes were said. Confessions were made, the battalion was blessed and the hatches were closed. Off the planes went one fifteen minutes after another, down the runway and into the air, a couple hours of flight was all that was needed to reach Posteastan.

They had been flying for an hour the leading plane carried the commander of the whole operation, Lieutenant Fredo d'Umbra, and he was giving some more or less kind words before reaching Posteastan. "Alright men, we land in about an hour to Posteastan. Some fallen country in a godforsaken part of the world that has not seen piece in decades. Why we are headed there? No one knows. Only the suits. But that does not mean we won't try the best we can. We are to land and give our full support to the Royalist cause. You, will be facing opposition and aggression from many enemies these bastardi have managed to acquire: democratics, republicans, rebels, communists, the irreligious, and all around scum of the earth. What will happen? I do not know, but be secure in the fact that God is with us. And if He is with us, than who can stand against us? You WILL ALL come back alive, battle hardened, injured, maybe a little depressed, but alive. There is no room on any of these planes for coffins. Fight with heart, men. Don't make your children orphans, your wives whores, and your mothers angry. Lord knows an angry mother." laughter followed the last sentence as some were put to ease. Songs were sung, about war, about glory, about strength and honor.

"Commander, what about the women?" one of the soldiers asked with a smile

"That's why we brought food Corporal. Give one of these women a can of, I don't know, fucking strawberries. She'll probably be on you the whole stay." laughter came as they began messing around and chaplains shook their heads, holding back smiles "'We'd have to battery ram the door to her room just to get you out Corporal!"

"Fuck, a bar of soap and a pair of shoes might do that. A can of food and she'll be a stowaway." another soldier responded to the result of more laughter.

The Lieutenant calmed everyone down "Alright, alright. Be lucky the nuns are on a separate plane, or else they're not stitching wny of us up."

30 minutes until landing, the pilots alerted the troops in hold "ATTENTION PASSENGERS: WE WILL BE LANDING IN THIRTY-ISH MINUTES. BE PREPARED."

The Lieutenant made his way to the cockpit and sat down. "Thanks for the reminder boys. Got to call Foreign and let him know we're almost there, if he hasn't been killed. Or robbed and beaten by locals. You anyone by the name Giani Gentile?" he asked to the pilots as they nodded a "no". Taking a phone from the wall, d'Umbra called the minister.

Leoniza

As Gentile introduced himself, his phone rang "Excuse me one moment." walking away, he answered "Who could this be?"

"Your back up Signore Gentile. Lieutenant d'Umbra. We'll be arriving in about 30 minutes."

"Ok. I'll be sending my aid, Lorenzo Nevicca. He'll be at the airport. I am somewhere else at the moment. Unless it is imperative for the survival of you, your men, and any others, you are to remain and hold the airport until either me, or a mister Michael Thatcher of Great Nortend are there to direct you otherwise. There is someone else, first man of the Royalist party Rasvan Luca. I haven't decided if he should be pulling on any reins yet, but we'll see. Just land, organize all the cargo and secure the airport."

"Si, capito." D'Umbra nodded and hung.

30 minutes later

Landing time rolled around and the first planes could be seen landing, little by little. An hour later, all planes had touched down. D'Umbra got out before anyone else, Nevicca approached him and presented himself, the two saluting to each other. Soon, every soldier had exited the planes and stood in their formations. Next to d'Umbra stood a chaplain, a cross-bearer, a flag-bearer and a lictor. Guns in their hands, the 500 awaited further orders from their commander. They all carried the Beretta ARX160 assault rifle.

"<Welcome to Posteastan, Commander. d'Umbra. Can't wait to win so I can get out of this hole.>"

"<Much obliged and feelings shared Signore Nevicca.>"

Nevicca looked at the troops and leaned to d'Umbra "<Until someone of actual rank comes in to direct you, either this Thatcher guy or Gentile, the cargo remains inside. I'd ask around for any administration but I highly doubt the language barrier would help. Please tell me you speak English.>"

"<It's why they put me on this detail. Or else I'd be in an office.>"

Port Serenity

"Mangia mio cazzo maldetta puttana." Shades said as they got on the helicopter.

"It's a friendly way of saying goodbyes back home. You'll know when we're done here." Nero said as they were lifted and landed in the city. Finding a cheap hotel, the two got rooms. Relaxing through the day, planning and discussing, making calls, they had a long day tomorrow.

The morning came. They woke up, put on civilian clothes and headed to a breakfast.

"<So, Stanton is the first one right?>" Shades said as he sipped his coffee, appropriately still wearing his sunglasses. They had switched their original black fedoras for the beach variants. They went from black coats and pants, to tropical shirts and short khakis.

"<Yup. Some police chief. Maybe work his wife a bit to get hit look away.>" Nero suggested, reading the local newspaper.

"<Fuck it, call some of the guys, get them down here and blast these guys. They next in line doesn't see it our way, same thing happens to them. Their predecessors will serve as examples.>"

"<As much as that idea is tempting, she wants us to try other ways first. Killing is the ultimate last resort mi amico."

"<She? That Costin lady? Fuck her! I wouldn't let her suck me for free, that cunt. Can still smell the smug aura emanating from that bitch.>"

Nero shrugged at Shades' anger, flipping pages in the paper "<Silvio want more markets. She's the kind of person that can get us those markets, especially in that shithole. Where's there's war, there's weapons and drugs, and women waiting to be sold. Everyone benefits over there. The military gets some first-hand experience for once, all the families get a piece of Posteastan and so do we.>"

"<Yeah? Why didn't we work this port guy, Nechin or whatever the fuck, from the beginning? His leads right into where our people at.>"

"<Someone's already working them down. Some construction company. We don't want to fill their plates too much. Gotta spread it around, make a little competition out of it.>"

"Ah! Vafanculo! I'm taking a walk.>" Shades stood up, downing his coffee, he went for a short walk around the block.

Keilersmoor
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 30, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Keilersmoor » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:58 am

Recipient
Region of Forest

REPUBLIC OF KEILERSMOOR

Topic: Crisis in Posteastan

Esteemed friends and colleagues,

I am surprised by the recent developments. The allegations against Construction Enterprises are deeply concerning. While neither owning stocks in the defense industry nor working for profit are immoral or problematic, working with criminal gangs is. I think the best way to deal with this situation is to file a law suit against Construction Enterprises in Kenmoria.

Equally surprising is the death of the Forest Dream. What has become of the idea of a unified approach? While the Landtag most certainly does not favor Velascu as president of Posteastan we also reject the overhasty call for his resignation solely based on the allegation that he supports free-market economy over command economy. In a time where the survival of the starving people should be his first concern there is not much room for him to negotiate. He has to take what is offered.

Now that humanitarian aid from Forest is tied to the demand of resignation it is much more difficult for us to help the people in need. To be honest, I have difficulties finding the difference to imperialism here. Humanitarian aid must never be tied to political demands. Keilersmoor does not support this behavior in any way. Unfortunately, the political maneuver here is all too obvious. Our Forestan friends have taken the starving people of Posteastan hostage. The intention behind the call for resignation and the offer of humanitarian aid is that Velascu rejects the aid and more people die in hopes to pin these deaths on him. This is not only cynical and immoral but also against all that Keilersmoor stands for.

We still do not favor Velascu and we do not think that he is doing an acceptable job but the call for resignation while close allies of Caracasus and Uan aa Boa have invaded Posteastan is more than suspicious. Who is supposed to take his place? The UGF? The Moralists? Remus Balan? What is that supposed to mean?

Keilersmoor could now escalate the situation by following Uan aa Boa's example and engage in unilateral support of the Renegades or Royalists but we will not do that at this moment. Instead we ask our friends in Forest for clarification and for a concept of the future of Posteastan. For us it looks as if Posteastan is supposed to become a colony of Carcasus and Uan aa Boa. A single party state (the UGF?) with command economy, no elections and under military occupation of Karevka?

Sincerely

Rutger Thorbecke
Foreign Minister

Esteemed Friends,

Recipient
Sir Donald Endersby
Posteastan Alms Society
Great Nortend

REPUBLIC OF KEILERSMOOR

Topic: Humanitarian Aid

Dear Sir Donald Endersby,

I write to you on behave of the Landtag of Keilersmoor. It has come to our attention that your organization serves the people of Posteastan without fear or favor. The situation in the troubled nation is reason for deep concern. We commend your volunteers for their bravery to risk their own lives for the good of others.

I hope that your men are all in good health. To help you in your work the Landtag has decided to grant the substantial amount of 25 million New Deut to the Posteastan Alms Society. Additional 25 million will be delivered in goods like highly maneuverable off-road trucks modified to burn all kinds of fuel including alcohol and equipped with ballistic and mine protection, mobile distilleries, two mobile hospitals, mine detectors, flak jackets, night vison equipment, two-way radios, outdoor computers, satellite communication equipment and solar collectors. We will also deliver water purification chemicals and pumps as well as individual med packs. We hope that we can help to minimize the risk to health and life of your volunteers through this delivery.

It will be shipped by cargo plane to Great Nortend as Posteastan has been classified as too risky for our own ships at the moment. As customary with humanitarian aid no prerequisites besides your approval are tied to the delivery. It is, however, the explicit wish of the Landtag that the Posteastan Alms Society tries to find an agreement with the Renegades to deliver aid to the people under siege by the National Guard.

Sincerely

Rutger Thorbecke
Foreign Minister
Last edited by Keilersmoor on Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:48 am, edited 6 times in total.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:19 am

Sir Alexander,

I have received promising news from Leozina. Endersby's men have from their latest telegramme successfully implemented the first stage of the Rose Garden plan. I have also been told by Endersby that he has received an offer from the Government of Keilersmoor to send aid on their behalf to Posteastan. This is an excellent development for the Erbonian Government. I have advised the other Directours of the society to accept the offer, and Somerham has been most encouraging. 25 million New Deut in cash and the same in goods. A welcome boost for the Society's funds, I should not think.

(Sgd.) LIMMES

SECRETARY OF THE POSTEASTAN ALMS SOCIETY

Dear Mr Thorbecke,

The Society was very humbled by your letter which we received to-day, and dare not countenance the non-acceptance of your Government's generous offer. The Society appreciates that the Republic of Keilersmoor has recognised its humanitarian policy and assures the Landtag that all aid and alms received will be used for the benefit of the people of Posteastan. The supplies which you have indicated would be sent will certainly improve the safety and wellbeing of not only our brave volunteers, but also those Posteastans in need.

I shall write immediately to Mr Valaska to seek approval for distribution of the aid once it reaches Posteastan by the National Guard in the province held by the National Guard. Our volunteers are unlikely to risk entry into the area without satisfactory armed guard and so our delivery of aid to that region is conditional on Mr Valaska's approval. We will also need to write to the de facto leaders of the Renegades to broker a deal with them, should Mr Valaska agree, as without an agreement there is a real danger to life and limb.

Regarding logistics, the goods will be accepted at Royal St Christopher's Airport. We shall make the necessary arrangements with the domestic Government of Great Nortend. We send all alms by sea to Rostechko, and thence by the River Telin to Leozina, our current base of operations. Food and other humanitarian aid will be loaded onto some railway waggons and with an armed guard, sent to Province Three. If we are unable to send aid to the Renegade-held areas, rest assured that they will be used to supply humanitarian aid to people in another region of Posteastan.

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant.

(Sgd.) D. J. ENDERSBY

Sir Donald Endersby,
Secretary of the Posteastan Alms Society

SECRETARY OF THE POSTEASTAN ALMS SOCIETY

Dear Mr Valaska,

With regards to your official telegramme wherein you so agreeably accepted our Society's offer to distribute aid, I am pleased that as a result of your sagacious permittance, we have stocked two ships with humanitarian aid goods, which should arrive in Posteastan late tomorrow evening, Posteastan-time, with one more being readied. We wish to seek your permission to aid to your citizens trapped in the regions held by the Renegades, in co-operation with the Republic of Keilersmoor.

It is proposed by the Landtag of Keilersmoor that the Posteastan Alms Society deliver aid products on behalf of Keilersmoor. It has been requested by the Landtag that the Society attempt to broker a deal with the Renegades to distribute by your National Guard aid goods, such as food, water purification tablets, clothing and the like to the people in their territories.

If you would be willing to countenance such an agreement, with your permission we shall write to the leader of the so-called “Federal Republic of Posteastan” to investigate further options.

I beg to remain, Sir, your most humble and obedient servant.

(Sgd.) D. J. ENDERSBY

Sir Donald Endersby,
Secretary of the Posteastan Alms Society

MMXIX · PRINTED IN LENDERT · ONE PENNY

Posteastan Crisis: Great Nortend sends alms

  THE newly formed Posteastan Alms Society, which received its Royal Charter as a charitable institution only days ago, to day announced that it had begun the process of sending alms to Posteastan, the impoverished nation gripped in the beginnings of a possible outright civil war. The Posteastan Crisis, as it has been dubbed, as well as the recent wars and dysfunction therein, have left over one million people displaced and killed over four thousand men, women and children.

  The Secretary of the Society, Sir Donald Endersby, said to day in a release that the Society had begun shipment to Posteastan, starting with twenty pallets of tinned vegetables and fruit, five pallets each of fresh carrots, cabbages, turnips, parsnips, beetroot and potatoes, twenty pallets each of corned beef and salt pork, fifteen pallets of flour, five pallets of salt and sugar, ten pallets of essential medications and pharmaceutical products, two pallets of light woollen cloth, five pallets of thick woollen cloth, five pallets of cotton cloth, three pallets of tanned leather, two pallets of paper and general stationery, and five pallets of alcohol, drinks and plumery.

  The alms will be delivered to Posteastan by ship, the first ships having already left Sorredge to day, and are scheduled to arrive in Posteastan by to morrow afternoon. Along with the alms are around twenty dedicated volunteer almoners, as well as a small contingent of soldiers to guard the valuable alms from looting and ransack. Sir Donald was quoted as saying that the alms would “be a welcome chance of hope where the lights of hope have dimmed.”
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
News from Great Nortend : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417866
Diplomacy, Consulates &c. : https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=417865

This nation is an exaggerated representation of my personal views in most areas.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:49 am

The two friends had names. Surnames, even. Families, lives. However, in the secret communications of the Allanean government, their names mattered very little. They were Rosenkrantz and Gildernstern. The only things that mattered were that Rosenkrantz and Gildernstern were employed with a 'human resources' agency which recruited the desperate, the hungry, the incredibly poor for 'work abroad' – and then the usual story happened. A young girl who was promised a place as a bartender, an au paire, a stripper or a prostitute in a prosperous foreign country would have her passport stolen and become not a prostitute, but a sex slave. Her brother might end up also as a slave, in an illegal coal mine with a bathtub for a lift. An older man might become a farm hand, toiling without pay in a rice plantation somewhere.

This was something that mattered – as was the fact that Rosenkrantz and Gildernstern had a habit of drinking coffee on Gilderstern's porch every Saturday morning. This would matter a lot more than the two men's real names.

It was a lovely morning for the two friends as they sat down with their coffee and their buttered toasts.

"I really liked how work had gone down at the agency this week," – Rosenkrantz said. "We filled all the client orders and made the company" – he did not like using the word 'Syndicate' – "some real dough. Do you think they'll give us some reward?"

"Well they by all rights should. We are good workers and I think you at least deserve it," – said Gilderstern – "Also, this is a lovely morning."

"Yes, I like how clean the air is." – Rosenkrantz replied. – "It makes the coffee taste better – or maybe it's just the fact I quit smoking last week. You know, it really brings all the tastes back."

There was a click. As the two friends raised their heads, they saw a man standing on the porch, but two yards away from them. He was dressed like a laborer, in blue work clothes, a yellow high-vis vest and a work helmet – how did he make it on the porch unnoticed, Rosenkrantz thought? And the click sound, that must have been the safety on the pistol that the man had in his hand – PISTOL?!

The gun barked fire once, blood soaking the front of Gildernstern's shirt, and then, without skipping a beat, the assassin put two more bullets in his target's face.

"What-" – Rosenkrantz was still processing, he had never been one for violence, this had never been his role.

In a single motion, the assassin yanked the chair from under Rosenkrantz, causing him to fall painfully onto the porch. He splashed the coffee – painfully hot – onto his victim's face.

"What is happening? WHY ARE YOU HERE? WHAT DO YOU WANT?"

"I am here because the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."

The gun barked once, Rozenkrantz doubled over an incredible pain as the bullet pierced his lower belly. A second time – the slave-trader gasp as bubbly, pinkish blood bubbled up on his lip, his lung was holed. A third and fourth time, these were for the head.

The assassin shot each of the two men once more, in the back of the head, for good measure. By the time the police were on the scene, he was of course long gone.

And of course, once again, Popovich received another package with photos of the dead, and the same fateful words.
Last edited by Allanea on Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:09 am

To: The Watchmen organization of Leozina
Subject: Aid, etc.
Dear friends!
As we covered in previous communications, we are not sanguine about the future of the Monarchist movement in this country (even though we judge your goals to be just). That said, since you are now quite a bit more powerful than you used to be, we are interested now in cooperation.

Specifically we want as many Syndicate thugs to be dead as humanly possible. We're willing to provide funding and intelligence, in exchange for your intelligence and dead Syndicate thugs.

To: Comrade Vasilescu Tavitian
Subject: Aid, etc.
Comrade!
As the representative of a monarchist, capitalist, imperialist nation I cannot say I endorse your cause. However, we do have a shared goal, several of them really.

1. I am interested in killing Syndicate slavers. As such, if you are interested, Allaneans can provide you law enforcement training, trucks, rifles, etc. for that purpose. In exchange, we want to see slavers hanging from lamp posts.

2. I'm interested in providing humanitarian aid in Posteastan. If you are willing, we can begin flying more supplies into the airfield you now control – food, medication, etc.

To be clear, similar offers are being made simultaneously to a range of factions, and I have no problem with training everyone's law enforcement at once, as long as the Syndicate is destroyed as a result.

To: The governments of Caracasus, Great Nortend, the Posteastan Alms Society, President Niculai Valaska, King Alexandru II, Vasilesku Tavitian, Patriarch Iancu Funar, Marta Arcos
Subject STOP SCREWING AROUND.

As starvation and flu epidemics beset Posteastan continuously, it is now obvious that the lone airport the country has cannot continue to serve. However, we wish to remind you that aircraft such as the C-130, AN-12, and even larger ones such as the Galaxy and AN-124 can land in a flattened farmer's field or in some cases can use a private aviation airfield.

We should not, and cannot, continue depending on the single, and unusuable, airport near Leozina.

We propose the following course of action, to be taken immediately, if lives are to be saved:

1. We request that all representatives that we contact here send us coordinates of small civil aviation airfields in your areas, or at least whatever plausible farmer's field there is to land in.

2. We request that the government of Caracasus aid us in airlifting food and supplies from Caracasus to these airfields, and allow us to airlift and sealift more food to that nation.

3. We believe that we must immediately receive additional information regarding the spread of the flu epidemic, and either Allanea or Caracasus should deploy a field hospital at its epicenter.

4. We should be permitted to contact hospitals in your areas of control, and to deliver the vaccine there, either by aircraft or by drone.

5. We should sail a ship or two up the river and use it to resupply as soon as possible.

We are ready to listen to your responses.
Yours,
Peter Nizhinsky.
Last edited by Allanea on Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Kjalaara
Envoy

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kjalaara » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:32 am

KINGDOM OF KJALÅRA

(Encryption: Public)

To:Public Statement

Friends, enemies, neutral bystanders,

As you all know the bi-yearly naval exercise Ran’s Net is about to take place. To celebrate my birthday, I have decided that this year’s exercise will consist of four groups instead of the normal two. As the time of the year dictates we will use the international waters off the shores of Posteastan for this great exercise because other oceans are too dangerous for an operation of this size.

To avoid confusion or delays I am glad to list the full number of participants in the exercise. The Expeditionary Strike Groups Trollhammer and Ice Wolf will train for a swift amphibious military intervention while the Carrier Battle Groups Fafnir and Nidhogg will test their abilities to provide theoretical air support for this fictional intervention.

For additional transparency, I invite neutral observers from Schwarzenfels to participate with their own battlegroup in this exercise. Tomorrow’s wars will be fought by alliances and not by individual states. The sooner we all prepare for that the better.

As a measure of precaution, I think it is highly recommended for military aircraft and ships to avoid a zone of about 100 nautical miles around the exercise since we are going to use live ammunition.

I will personally observe the operation on board of one of my ships and I invite all dignitaries of the involved nations to celebrate my birthday with me. I’m sure that Ran’s Net will be a beautiful show of skill and technology. If you have any questions regarding the exercise don’t hesitate to ask.

Heil og Sæl

Heil og Sæl

Last edited by Kjalaara on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
List of nations currently considered enemies.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 23, 2017
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:44 am

STATEMENT OF THE GOVERNMENT OF UAN AA BOA

Recent comments by Rutger Thorbecke, Foreign Minister of Keilesmoor, require response and clarification.

Firstly, the humanitarian aid currently being supplied by our government is subject to no conditions and is not tied to our call for the resignation of President Valaska. We will continue to provide food, medicine and other essential supplies irrespective of the political situation.

Secondly, Uan aa Boa has not endorsed any Posteastan faction and has no military presence within the territory of Posteastan.

Thirdly, we have no connection to the government of Karevka and do not in any way endorse their ill advised military adventurism.

Fourthly, we do not object to President Valaska on the grounds that he favours the free market. The truth is that he does not. He is engaged in creating monopolies in the provision of essential services on behalf of Construction Enterprises and the Contin and Nechita clans. There is nothing free about this, nor does one need to be a socialist to find the conduct of Valeska, the oligarchs and Construction Enterprises reprehensible.

Fifthly, Uan aa Boa has no desire to create a command economy or a socialist state in Posteastan. That is a matter for the people of Posteastan. We ask only how it can be possible for them to determine their own future while their access to water, transport, communications, healthcare and so forth is under the control of profiteers?

We understand the best prospect for a unified Forest position to be one based on (a) non-endorsement of any faction (b) unconditional humanitarian aid (c) maximum effort at procuring a peaceful diplomatic solution. We are committed to all of these. If there is an obstacle to Forest unity it is the nation of Rivienland and its endorsement of the monarchist faction.

From The Revolutionary Workers' Navy
To Tove of Kjalara
Encryption None

Be advised that we have no intention of moving our ships away from the location of your planned military exercise in the vicinity of Posteastan. If you cannot be confident regarding what you are shooting at then you should avoid using live ammunition until your sailors have acquired this elementary skill. Any incidents will be treated with the appropriate diplomatic severity.

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:22 am

Leoniza Airport

As they waited for Gentile or someone else, turns out camion meant the same thing in Romanian as it did in Italian as well as Spanish and French. They were able to ask for trucks from some of the locals but due to the limited availability, they varied. They ranged from beaten pick-ups to flatbeds, all parked next to the planes with cargo. The one's stocked with civilian aid was differentiated from the military cargo with brown and green colored crates respectively. The civilian aid included canned foods, clothing, blankets, medicinals such as syringes, remedies, cold cures, etc. Other civilian crates carried 'tools' such as Beretta pistols, shotguns, and semi-autos, those were were differentiated from the regular civilian aid with red Xs(Pistols), Ys(Shotguns), and Zs(Semi-autos). All remained in the plane.

As Nevicca and d'Umbra waited, the soldiers marched, moved around, and organized cargo. The chaplains helped and the nuns stood to the side, their were about five priests and fifteen nuns, some of them were young and some were a bit older, couldn't have geriatrics on a battlefield. A car pulled up on the tarmac towards the planes. The two men looked as it stopped near them, through the glass they saw that it was Gentile. Getting out, he walked up towards them and saluted, they saluted in return. D'Umbra was noticeably shorter, not much only by about an inch, but it was noticeable.

"Buongiorno Lieutenant d'Umbra I presume?" Gentile shook the Lieutenant's hand, to which he nodded in confirmation

"Buongiorno Minister Gentile. We're here with everything, only awaiting orders. Food, clothing, blankets, medicine, arms and more. Just tell where they go."

Gentile looked at the planes and the assortment of trucks parked near. It was an odd pairing but it would have to do. He counted the planes and saw that there was one too many. "Lieutenant, there are six planes. I was told their would be five."

"That one was a "little something extra" from Defense." he smiled "Want to see it?"

"Hmmm...maybe later. Right now you will come with me to meet the other heads of this operation. Last I heard of them they were organizing a militia, thankfully these weapons came at the right time, let's go. Nevicca, you stay here." Nevicca nodded in obedience

D'Umbra whistled and one of the soldiers came over "Capitano Giornada, you're in command while I'm gone for a spell. Heed Nevicca if he tells you anything. We shouldn't be long."

"And get the civilian cargo loaded up, by the time our meet is done, you'll know where to take them." Gentile instructed. The two got in the car and headed to the Royalist HQ. They arrived and exited the vehicle. Greeting many from the newly established militia, Gentile noticed a larger presence in badged and uniformed men. Finally, they had found Michael Thatcher.

"Minister Thatcher. Greetings again, I am happy to announce that my men have arrived, the civilian aid is being loaded and ready to be given directions for their new home. And may I present to you Lieutenant Corporal Fredo d'Umbra, commander of the 2nd Battalion of the 3rd Infantry." D'Umbra saluted, arm straight like a Roman.

Kjalaara
Envoy

Founded: Sep 28, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Kjalaara » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:51 am

KINGDOM OF KJALÅRA

(Encryption: Public)

To:Public Statement

Dearest Workers and Revolutionaries,

It is a great pleasure working and revolutioneering with you. After reevaluating the theater, I have come to the conclusion that you are actually right. Your exercise is too close to the place where Ran’s Net was about to take place. The use of missile defense systems and long range interceptions makes damage or injuries as well as confusion of our navies very likely. To ask you to move away from the spot would be unfair and undiplomatic as we both know that the sport is the perfect place this time of the year for this type of exercise.

With all the ships already in place and my birthday drawing near I have decided to move the groups a few hundred miles south, closer to the coast and away from your work and revolution. We are now technically in Posteastan waters but that is not a problem as they have neither air force nor navy which could interfere with our countermeasures. Civilian traffic is not hindered by our presence so there should be no problem.

I thank you personally for your words of waring and I hope that your work and revolution will be fruitful and that your exercise is a great success. I also wish to use this opportunity to inform all authorities in my beloved Posteastan that we are now in their waters training hard for the liberation of a small, insignificant, run down nation. I hope that one of you will send me an invitation to your waters. I would be very pleased.

Heil og Sæl

Last edited by Kjalaara on Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
List of nations currently considered enemies.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Founded: Jul 03, 2017
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Kenmoria » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:07 am

The letter seemed to have the desired effect upon the populace, which was helped by the fact that is was the only source of information about the conflict that Construction Enterprises delivered to the locals and their employees. A combination of that and a relentless propaganda team sending messages of the humanitarian aid program elsewhere created a positive effect on workforce participation and general productivity.

In addition, a chilling effect was also deemed to be necessary and thus the Syndicate were directed to engage in some threatening of any people who were deemed to be compromising the official atmosphere of the place. Another useful method of making people satisfied with the Kenmorian corporation was the weekly list to President Niculai Valaska. If a person were afraid, they would be much more motivated than one who was satisifed with their life.

At the same time, uncontroversially, the wireless and wired phone lines were extended all the way to the peripheries of Pibtsy, and put to their full strength and power in Roztechko. No matter how much the other nations involved in the Posteastan were critical of Construction Enterprises’s program, they could not deny the sheer vastness and performance of the networks, nor the positive effect it was having on morale in the Government-controlled areas of the country.

However, it appeared this was not enough to placate the foreign power’s vying for the removal of the enforced monopoly that was holding essential services for the people of Posteastan. On the view of most Kenmorians, a company holding a monopoly was a sign that said company was doing very well, and that competitions ought to improve their goods or services to compete effectively. This served the coporations’ interests very well. Unfortunately, Uan aa Boa’s press statement highlighted that the entire of that country, not just a certain Adeema Pula, did not follow this line of thinking. Indeed, it was probable based on the missive that the entirety of the Forestian nations involved had some degree of opposition to Construction Enterprises. This was extremely worrying.
Hello! I’m a GAer and NS Roleplayer from the United Kingdom.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Great Nortend
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Great Nortend » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:16 pm

LEOZINA—Though Thatcher still could not understand why he was constantly addressed with the rather odd construction “Minister Thatcher”, as if he were some sort of priest, he smiled politely at Gentile and the officer. He awkwardly returned the salute in the Erbonian fashion, palm facing forwards covering half of the eye. Perhaps he ought to carry a sword, like East did, to salute with in the future.

“Your Excellency, Colonel, how do you do? How excellent that your men have arrived; five hundred, was it? We have signed up I believe at last count, 323 men from Leozina itself. There has been growing interest however, and I can confidently predict that we shall hit the 2,000 mark within a few days. Though in a city of over 300,000 permanent residents, it's not much, but it is a start. Bravery is hard to come by when one is threatened with perishment.

“Where are your men to stay, Colonel? I can think either they set up camp on a field or green somewhere, such as the large green where our Militia have been training to day, or to billet them in some private houses. I would advise the former, as it would be unwise to me to give the citizens of Leozina the feeling of... invasion, as it were. I trust you understand.

“I have received some warnings of a minor flu epidemic in some of the Southern provinces, I believe. It may be wise to man some checkpoints to prevent it from threatening us. Sir John East, of... the Posteastan Alms Society, has brought with him a supply of flu shots, which should be enough for the civilian Militia for now, but certainly not enough for anyone else.

“Anyway, let us not dwell on this for now. What are your plans for the coming days? There are rumours that enemy forces will attempt to either recapture the airport, or indeed, Leozina itself, having abandoned it quickly a day ago. The watchmen of our Militia are poorly trained for now, but I am confident that they will with a few day's work, be satisfactory. We are short on weaponry, but some should be coming on our humanitarian alms ships sometime tomorrow.

“Why bless me, it's the afternoon already. Have you yet eaten?”
Last edited by Great Nortend on Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lux Pulchrae
Minister

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lux Pulchrae » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:24 pm

Leoniza

"Yes I have actually, before the flight, which itself was not long, about two and a half hours. But to accompany you would be fine. Discuss things further, as I was told you were to head things here. Locals are almost never any good in battle, realistically speaking. It takes much time and effort. Why do you think we spend months, even years, training? To be the best we can in any situation. And in war, any situation is possible. Luckily we brought somethings that can help hurry the process: guns. Not enough to equip everyone but enough to help. If I remember correctly it was about eighty pistols, fifty-five semi-automatic rifles and thirty shotguns."

"Quite an arsenal Lieutenant." Gentile remarked

"Not much of an arsenal though, Grand Minister. We have a crazy surplus back home. A country that's always preparing for war but never fights, what else is there?" he responded to Gentile "But to return to a plan, the first thing we should do is secure the airport and set up checkpoints at all roads leading to it. We work on defense, then if the time is right and God permits, we go on an offensive. As for this 'epidemic', I was brought here to fight, maybe the nuns can help you, but they aren't much in numbers, sufficient in training though." putting a cigar in his mouth he lit it and puffed "Lead the way amico. Lunch awaits, no?" he took out another one and offered it to either superior.

"Oh, that reminds me, we have all the civilian aid loaded onto some trucks. I'd imagine their destination is here at the headquarters. Rasvan might know where best to allocate this." Gentile added, waving the cigar away, deferring it to Thatcher.

Rivienland
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 14, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Rivienland » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:25 pm

Letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

The Position of the Grand Duchy of Rivienland on the Plan for Peace in Posteastan

To: The nations of Forest

Dearest allies and neighbors,

I find it unfortunate to write to you at this hour, for as we enjoy the prospects of peace within Forest, the nation of Posteastan faces incredible misfortune and hardship. Though, when crisis looms in distant lands, it is now Forest, a region united in principle, that may act as mediators to assist in those in such distress. The Grand Duchy of Rivienland, along with many others, agree that military intervention cannot be considered, and that peace talks are the best option for all parties. With respect to President Valaska, the Grand Duchy would advise that peace talks continue to be supported in order to bring peace to this great, and historic nation. Without a doubt, I know Forest understands the complexities of this conflict, as shown by the line of questions from Keilersmoor, and that Forest is ready to move forward in bringing truth and justice to this situation.

We stand hand-in-hand with the recent statement from Minster Thorbecke of Keilersmoor in having a feeling of disappointment over the slow development of a pan-Forest position, and the uncalled condemnation of the free markets of Posteastan. Not only is this inconsiderate of the opinions of those native Posteastans who support this system, but only adds more complications as our region attempts to bring multiple parties to peace talks. In addition, we applaud the decision on delivering humanitarian aid to Posteastan, regardless of any political demands. As a result, Rivienland will be, in the next few weeks, sending relief supplies to the country to show our continuing support for the people of Posteastan.

But, before we can continue, I, as Minister of Foreign Affairs, feel obligated to address the allegations insinuated by Uan aa Boa, that were not only stated once, but twice. First and foremost, the Grand Duchy has not, in any way, declared our support for any of the factions, or lent our “influence to the Royalist faction”. Unlike some nations involved in this crisis, Rivienland is committed to seeing the promotion of stability, and peace within Posteastan as soon as possible. We admit to Forest, in the name of transparency, that Rivienland has sought information on the position of the Royalists, but just as much as any nation has investigated the conditions of any political faction within the country. We remain committed to a pan-Forest position of neutrality as, we a region united, discuss possibilities for a joint response.

In the best interests of showing our fullest support of a united position with our allies and neighbors, I will express again our interest in supporting the Royalist faction within Posteastan. As discussed earlier by Keilersmoor, the Royalists not only support a constitutional monarchy with free elections, but provide the opportunity to install an independent king that would not be involved in any previous crimes, and portrays the best hope for a stable nation.

Following these discussions over the position of a pan-Forest position, and belief that every nation has shared their position in detail, we push to assemble the representatives of our respective nations, and any other faction interested in observing our talks, at Villi Island in Caracasus to settle these matters in person. For every day we delay this summit, the less chance we have at finding any solution to this worsening situation.

We await your responses in good faith, and friendship.
Count Moncheur et d’Orban
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Letter from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs

To: Sir Alexandru Bàrdi—de Leu, KSE GCH

Sir Alexandru,

Today, I write to you on the behalf of my government, and our express interest in the Posteastan Crisis. Throughout Rivienland, our people morn for the chaos, and traumatic loss the people of Posteastan have gone through. On behalf of His Royal Highness’s government, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs would like to take a stronger position in the Crisis to help the country once again see an era of peace, and prosperity. To this end, I would like to request an audience to better understand not only your position in these matters, but to what end the Royalists are working towards a unified country. We wait for your response, and, until then, Posteastan will be in the prayers of Rivienland.

Together may we witness a restoration of peace and tradition in Posteastan.
Edourard van Houtte, KGDR
Ambassador-at-Large

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:16 am

Villi Island – Caracasus

First Minister Marrik of the Council Elect addressed the meeting room. Here it was nearly ten in the morning. In Postestan it would be night. The gathered crowd largely comprised of diplomats from Forestian nations, though many other observers were noted. The main meetings and conferences at least were open to all.

It was strange really, Marrik thought. Postestan was some way away from Forest and frankly appeared to most to be relatively insignificant in the grand scheme of things. It was just another failed Wolf state – part of the great Northern Collapse that had seen the rising “Nordic nations” of which Posteastan had been considered something of an honorary member implode as quickly as the new power bloc had appeared to be overtaking other, longer established powers. Of them, only Latusgardd could reasonably still be considered a success story.

And yet, here, decades after the gaze of the world had shifted, television cameras and holorecorders. Microphones and even the occasional journalist could be found in the crowd. He was far too young to remember Ohiton. He would barely have started his first placement at a commune manufacturing industrial chemicals when the first crises hit Postestan. Had he been old enough the parallels would have felt eerily similar.

“Forestian representatives and honoured guests, I am here today largely to address growing concerns regarding the developing situation in Posteastan.”

The Caracasusian accent struggled with the name. Unnaturally flattened vowel sounds.

“However, as many have told me after my speeches, sometimes less is more. I wish to begin with someone whose personal experience of the ongoing crisis may allow us to appreciate the human face behind the statistics and news stories.”

The drama of the short videoclip was lessened somewhat as Marrik struggled to locate the correct button on the control stick, but after a few seconds the lights dimmed and the holodisplay sprung to life.

“As I am sure you are all aware, decades of extreme racism directed by the state of Postestan at Caracasusian citizens means that there is simply no way that Caracasusian media communes can set foot within the country. This of course poses many difficult questions regarding the distribution of medical aid in the country, however these will be addressed later. What you are about to watch is testimony from a Postestan refugee who thankfully saw through the lies of his government and sought refuge in Caracasus.”

The still image started up. A small room. On the wall cheery posters in multiple languages – half a display of children's pictures in shot – written above in Caracasusian “Art Therapy”. A timestamp on the video noted the time and location – Therapy Room 6b. Refugee Crisis Centre. Quoris City.

The Caracasusian began. His Postestan was fluent. In all likelihood she too had arrived fleeing one or other catastrophe to hit Postestan. Subtitles were transmitted in real time to the communications devices of the assembled audience.

“Now before we begin Mr Lyenko, can you please confirm you understand the following statement. This is, to the best of your knowledge, a factual account of what you have experienced in your native country of Posteastan.”

“Yes.”

“Excellent. And can you please confirm that you understand you will not receive any preferential treatment or reward for this testimony?”

Lyenko frowned a little. “I do. Of course.”

“Now, could you please describe to me how you came to escape Postestan? I may ask you at some points to clarify any statement you make.”

“Well I... As you know work is scarce. Really scarce. It's bad enough in Roztechko. I was...”

“And sorry, just to confirm. You spent your life living in the city?”

“Apart from six months during the bombing. Yes. Anyway, yes it was bad in Roztechko and we knew it must be worse elsewhere. The papers never said anything but they were always talking about Ninedayists – uh.. Caracasusians. They were blowing up oil pipelines. They were selling guns to rebels. It was all they would talk about. It got better before the bombings. After Ohiton... But then things got much worse. I... I made a living where I could. I trained to be an electrical engineer you see. I fixed things for people, rigged up... uh....”

The woman sighed. “Please. It is important we get a complete picture. Even if you committed a crime, we need to know.”

“I uh... I rigged up streetlights so that people could have electricity. The Syndicate owned everything else, but they didn't own the streetlights.”

“I see. And what happened after that?”

“The papers stopped reporting everything outside of Roztechko. We got food delivered, we got fuel and we got fliers handed out. Construction Enterprises were rebuilding the country and they needed people with technical experience. I applied.”

“Understandable. And what was your job?”

“Well... the company – Construction Enterprises – they started out fixing roads and stuff like that. I got turned away from those work crews. Then they wanted electricians so I signed up. I got put on a work crew.”

“And what were your responsibilities?”

“Well, they wanted a new telephone network. But of course, why would anyone build a new network from scratch? A lot of the old network was still there, or at least the buildings and some of the cable was. I was responsible for integrating their technology and equipment into the old network and salvaging what couldn't be integrated.”

“Was there anything unusual about that?”

Lyenko shook his head. “Not at all. It made perfect sense. Telecommunications companies do it all the time. Like I said, rebuilding and upgrading a telecommunications network is what any sane person would do if there's already infrastructure in place. You don't reinvent the wheel.”

“So what was unusual?”

Lyenko thought. “It's hard to say where it started. They were very keen, really keen about details of the next of kin when I signed up. I kept telling them, there's only me. My parents died in the bombing, and I don't know where my uncle is. And the non disclosure agreements... we weren't allowed to say anything about what we were doing. We were searched when our van stopped. All of our gear.”

“Surely those are just standard practises for a company though?”

“Yeah. Yeah, but they weren't looking for people nicking stuff off site. This one guy was stopped and... well, he just had a book on him. They took him away and I never saw him on shift after that.”

“What was the book?”

“I uh... I don't know.”

“And what of the other workers?”

“They seemed OK when I started but then... well, we got an exchange that had been reported clear. Turned out the surveyors had missed a hole in the roof. Most of the exchange needed gutting. A huge job and no way we could manage. We let the company know and next shift a couple of vans turn up. I'm... I'm pretty sure they were syndicate. Anyway, twelve lads get out and start gutting the place. Thing is... thing is they didn't speak to us. Barely stopped for a break. It was... creepy you know? Anyway, next day my manager gets on phone to the company saying it'll be another two days before the exchange is clear enough to set up the new equipment. Some of the... workers well, they heard that. Then they started panicking. I mean, they were muttering prayers as they were working. They really stepped up the pace and I remember thinking someone's gonna get killed if they aren't more careful. I tried to get one of them to slow down, take a breather but... he turned to me and he was crying. Properly, silently sobbing. I don't know what they did to them, or what they threatened them with but...”

“But you got out.”

“Yeah. Most of us won't though.”

The lights rose and Marrik addressed his audience again.

“As you can see, we share the grave concerns raised by many others regarding Posteastan. While it would seem fitting and just for us to place the blame on the governments of Postestan and on the Construction Enterprises company, we would be engaging in the same overblown rhetoric as the Posteastan press does. Construction Enterprises and the other accumulated factions bickering over control of the country are vultures. When you see vultures circling, you don't shoot the vultures, you look to what they are circling. The state of Posteastan is collapsing and unless we mobilize to do something about it, it will be time for the vultures to descend and feed in earnest.

In the short term, Caracasus has sent a great deal of aid via the task group Persephone II. A small naval escort will be joining the task group and will link up with the Boani naval group already in the area. Deployment by plane will be carried out by those nations capable of ensuring the aid reaches the destinations. I believe that the Free Nation of Allanea is also equipped to carry out these deliveries and distribution and as such they will be notified and copied in to any delivery.

Due to the overwhelming hostility against Caracasusians within Posteastan – with one recent editorial comparing our people to genetically inferior cockroaches and pleading with … uh 'civilized nations of the earth to drive the pernicious Ninedayist Bolsheviks from their own borders and from existence in general and to bathe the subhuman scum of the Caracau subcontinent in nuclear fire' no Caracasusian personnel will be able to take part in the on the ground distribution of aid.

We also wish to address claims that Karevka is somehow aligned in policy or military alliance with Caracasus. Aside from a few trade deals with our socialist brothers in Karevka, we have no knowledge of their intentions within Posteastan and condemn as always any movement of soldiers into the nation. The Karevkaian diplomat to Caracasus will be addressed by our own in short order. We will discuss Karevka's presence in Postestan as well as many of the aforementioned trade deals. It looks to be a robust and interesting meeting.

The official position of Caracasus is that Postestan must decide its own fate. Provided that no faction breaks international law and bars the dispatch of humanitarian aid across the country or commit some act of genocide or ethnic cleansing, we plan to work with whatever group we can to ensure not only the distribution of aid, but also establish Posteastan as an independent nation with its own, equal voice on the international stage.”
Last edited by Caracasus on Fri Feb 22, 2019 3:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:03 am

“Oh come on!” That was the dominant response of the project managers after hearing the Caracasus meeting and the disclosures thereof. If it wasn’t Uan aa Boa, it would be another annoying nation getting in the way of good business. How did they manage to find that video? The Syndicate were hired, amongst other things, specifically to prevent anyone from finding out about any of the more controversial parts of the operation. It was an utter nightmare to deal with all of the opposing factions trying to interrupt the operations. Some were even talking of just killing most of the workers, blaming it on the Communists, then starting again with Kenmorian workers. Of course, that would be excessive, nevermind how much covering up it would take now that there were two nations stalking the corporation’s every move.

“Hello.” The manager, a short fellow with a mild French accent who went by the name of Gael Robinson, began his speech to the assembled workers, employees, and higher-ups. “I have gathered you all here today in order to discuss the current situation with regards to the international community. It is no secret that the work we do is... disliked by some foreign powers, in much the same way that Martin Luther King was hated by certain regressive and unadvanced people. Indeed, every humanitarian, activitist or philanthropist has faced, at times, criticism of the vital work they do. This is a fact and it is one of the hardest things you can face while working for us.”

A pause, as a deck of flashcards exchanged hands. “Therefore, you may ask, what can we do to help? Firstly, if someone approaches you when you are working, make sure to ask for ID. If they are a fellow worker, greet them with a pat on the back and perhaps a joke or two. If they are of the Syndicate, nod and employ a policy of non-interference. If they have no ID, act with caution. They are most likely just a villager, so be polite, but make sure not to reveal anything about your work or Construction Enterprises. If, however, they produce journalist ID. Be suspicious! The chances of them being from a legitimate Kenmorian or Posteastan source is quite remote, and we would have told you of that were the case. Do not reveal anything that could possibly be used to harm the company or your fellow workers.”

“This policy is for your benefit, and is designed so that it has the minimum impact possible on your work. However, do not break it. There can be no excuses for somebody deliberately endangering the safety of all those around you. Look around. See those in front, behind and to the sides of you. They could suffer from foreign aggression if information is revealed. There will be consequences.”

As he finished his speech, he stepped backwards behind the curtain, to induced applause delivered by signs reading “Applause” and “Applaudissements”. When he was fully out of view of the audience, most of whom were now getting ready to leave and some were streaming out of the building and going back to work, a masked figure grabbed him and hauled him behind a chair. “You were supposed to finish the message. You said ‘firstly’, why wasn’t there the ‘secondly’ or the ‘thirdly’.”
The manager stammered slightly, “It just didn’t feel appropriate, telling them to report their colleagues to us.”
“I see.”
A gunshot could have been heard, if one was listening closely, through the background of industrial noises, and some Syndicate members hauled a vaguely humanoid shape out of a grey building.
Last edited by Kenmoria on Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
My pronouns are he/him.
Any posts that I make as GenSec will be clearly marked as such and OOC. Conversely, my IC ambassador in the General Assembly is Ambassador Fortier. I’m always happy to discuss ideas about proposals, particularly if grammar or wording are in issue. I am also Executive Deputy Minister for the WA Ministry of TNP.
Kenmoria is an illiberal yet democratic nation pursuing the goals of communism in a semi-effective fashion. It has a very broad diplomatic presence despite being economically developing, mainly to seek help in recovering from the effect of a recent civil war. Read the factbook here for more information; perhaps, I will eventually finish it.

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:07 am

From Adeema Pula, Revolutionary Workers' Council With Responsibility for Foreign Affairs, Uan aa Boa
To Grand Ambassador Peter Nizhinsky, Free Kingdom Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Allanea
Encryption Robust

There are no bystanders in the class struggle.

Grand Ambassador,

Although we represent very different nations I do not hesitate to commend your tireless struggle against the activities of slavers in general and the Sakala syndicate in particular. You may be aware of information we recently released on the symbiotic relationship between the syndicate, the Valaska government and the Kenmorian corporation Construction Enterprises. We have been disappointed that this has, in many quarters, been received as purely communist propaganda. This collusion between government, corporations and criminals should be of concern to all irrespective of their politics. We should all agree that this is the unacceptable face of corporatism. My comrades and I differ only in that we do not share in the belief that there are other faces.

To this end we believe both of us would find our objectives furthered if you were to join in the exposure and denunciation of the current activities in Roztechko.

Please find attached a dossier on the activities of Construction Enterprises in a number of other developing and war torn countries, including details of their systematic disregard for World Assembly guidance on wages and conditions of employment, their use of trafficked and otherwise enslaved workers and the tendency of trade unionists, civil rights activists and other such individuals to "disappear" in the vicinity of their projects.

I would welcome the opportunity to hear your thoughts.

There is no greater honour than the condemnation of the oppressor!
Onwards to the breaking of a red dawn!

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:31 am

From: Grand Ambassador Peter Nizhinsky, Free Kingdom Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Allanea
To: Adeema Pula, Revolutionary Workers' Council With Responsibility for Foreign Affairs, Uan aa Boa
The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
Comrade!

The situation as I view it is this: the government of Posteastan is likely so corrupt that no real business dealing are possible – and especially in infrastructure building, which shall we say is a dubious enterprise even in many 'advanced' societies – without bribing a whole range of officials (bribing a deputy ambassador to speak to the ambassador, bribing the ambassador to speak to a cabinet minister, finally getting to speak to the people who call the shots, and bribing them).

Into the scene rides Construction Enterprises. The legal environment in their own country is such as to supposedly aid exporters to operate in environments like Posteastan, but defacto allows Construction Enterprises and other companies to act as de-facto criminal gangs, both themselves engaged in de-facto slavery practices, and as we have seen, using the Syndicate as one would use an HR company – except with people who can only be described as enslaved persons.

[Due to department guidance, I do not refer to victims of slavery as 'slaves' but rather as 'enslaved persons', 'human trafficking victims', and other similar verbiage, see also the Foreign Service Style Manual, Edition 31. This distinction is used to signify that slavery is at best a forced and illegitimate status for its victims, and not, as some slaver leaders insist, a state of philosophical inferiority.]

In the long term it would be ideal if we negotiated with the government of Kenmoria to end these practices. In the short term, I believe it would be ideal if we demanded – perhaps in exchange for more foreign aid – that the various governments of Posteastan crack down on all slavery operations, and impose on Construction Enterprises that it employ individuals under free-labor conditions.

[If Construction Enterprises cannot afford to pay its workers and is forced to resort to kidnapping people and slavery, it should go fucking bankrupt. However, I wish to note here – as I will when negotiating with the Kenmorians – that the present regulatory environment in Posteastan makes me think that Construction Enterprises is lining itself up to be the sole phone provider in several of the country's major cities, and in the event that turns out to be true, it would stand to get back any investment it would make now in wages, so it can well afford to operate within the bounds, of, you know, not being comic book villains].

Furthermore, death to the slaver.

Yours,
Peter Nizhinsky.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Uan aa Boa
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Uan aa Boa » Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:32 am

From Adeema Pula, Revolutionary Workers' Council With Responsibility for Foreign Affairs, Uan aa Boa
To Grand Ambassador Peter Nizhinsky, Free Kingdom Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Allanea
Encryption Robust

There are no individuals. There is no outside the text.

Grand Ambassador,

It is important that humanitarian aid is without conditions or prerequisites. We will therefore never place requirements on its delivery. It should go without saying that we are very happy to promote workers' rights and to urge all parties, in Posteastan and throughout the world, to uphold them.

It seems to us futile to expect the government of Kenmoria to rein in Construction Enterprises. The corporation no doubt bases itself there in large part due to that nation's noted reluctance to provide any kind of regulation of business, and in the unlikely event that it tried to the company would simply relocate to some other laissez-faire location. Neither do we believe this is an organisation familiar with taking directions from governments - it appears they expect the relationship to work in quite the opposite way.

Forgive me, but I do not think this is an issue on which we should be content to exchange vague statements of intention like bourgeois parliamentarians. What I have been able to discover concerning your, shall we say, forthright methodology leads to me to conclude that this is not a serious answer.

Nevertheless, thank you for your time.

They call for peaceful protest... with their boot on our throats!

Meanwhile in Kenmoria a similar dossier on the activities of Construction Enterprises had been delivered to The Custodian, a liberal newspaper favoured by supporters of the Democratic and Environmental parties. It was generally given to shrill protests that past-their-prime celebrities had said something that might be interpreted as transphobic, but it did also take a strong line on corruption and championed the cause of farmers markets and small bookshops. It had also made calls for democratic reforms and improved civil liberties in Uan aa Boa.

"We will not insult your intelligence," read the accompanying communication, "by pretending to be anyone other than who we are. We do not ask you to endorse our cause or what we stand for. Yet we believe this information is of interest to you, and you are free to use it without mention of how you came by it. The vast majority of it could have been uncovered by a capable investigative journalist, while the remainder could be attributed to anonymous whistle-blowers.

"If you do choose to publish this material you will be granted a full and uncensored interview with Samuel Kabende who, as you will no doubt remember, was the leader of a pro-democracy insurgency in Uan aa Boa 5 years ago and who remains in detention. You may do entirely as you wish with whatever he decides to say to you."

Karevka
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:19 am

The news conference set up wasn't spectacular: At the front was a stage with a microphone-laden podium with Karevkan flags on either side. Behind the stage was wall with the national emblem of Karevka mounted on it, positioned so it would be directly behind the Prime Secretary. In front of the stage was a sea of folding chairs, journalists and foreign officials would sit here and each one would be given a bottle of water and stress ball prevent boredom. The Prime Secretary was going to put on his best poker face and would only show expression when needed. Transport from Marshal Reznikov International Airport would provided by taxis (driven by SPD agents) and they would stay in either the Hotel Loyevka or their country's embassy. The conference was scheduled to start at 1:20PM the next day.

Caracasus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Caracasus » Fri Feb 22, 2019 10:19 am

<<secure message. Sender IDref:Butter Side Up.

Rec. Unknown.

Death to slavers!

I am glad you saved many of the humans.

Do you like boats? I do. I oversee shipping sometimes. As a favour.

There's one boat I do not like. An ore freight ship is riding very high in the water for a full cargo of ore.

The Flying Porcine. It won't even tell me where it is going, but it came from Postestan. >>
As an editor I seam to spend an awful lot of thyme going threw issues and checking that they're no oblivious errars. Its a tough job but someone's got too do it!

Issues editor, not a moderator.

Kenmoria
GA Secretariat

Postby Kenmoria » Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:53 am

Construction Enterprises was dying, metaphorically rather than the literal executions of those it opposed, for some good publicity. Making letters, distributing pamphlets and issuing threats to workers was perfectly fine and indeed a common part of its strategies. However, those were all reactive, mere responses to the damage caused by foreign actors and internal dissidents, whereas what the company bosses wanted was proactivity, actively making people all across the globe aware of the good work the corporation was doing. Ideally, they wanted some way of making the corporations sphere of influence much more solid in the regions it held, and able to spread into wholly different fields. In addition, some sentimental shots of starving refugees being fed by blue and white emblems never hurt.

This was partly due to proactivity being one of the company’s best buzzwords, but also because the telecommunications work wasn’t doing as well as hoped. It was still turning a profit and looked set to establish market dominance, but the bad publicity was harming cash flows and smothering potential trade deals.Whilst the Posteastan project managers were indeed important, those they worked for were far more so, and, although they couldn’t actually be killed due to being covered under the mess of Kenmoroan labour laws, the instant they were fired quite a few hurt families would be out looking for blood. Therefore, the Karevkan conference seemed like the ideal opportunity to regain at least some prestige, for the company and for themselves, lest they become the next bodies hauled out of concrete buildings.

With this having been decided and agreed upon by the most senior bureaucrats and managers in the Posteastan operations, a short-term plan was put into action. Firstly, work on the wired and wireless networks would speed up, even more so than normal, to look good for potential investigations following a broadcast. Secondly, the sporadic deliveries of humanitarian aid would speed up to complement the Kenmorian government deliveries. At the current time, the Parliament back at Construction Enterprises’s home nation had been delivering food, water, clothes and basic medicine to the populace using mainly the port of Roztechko, as well as about a third being sent through Pibtsy. On the other hand, the corporate aid mainly took the form of just nutrition, and was delivered at the same time as industrial equipment, also through Roztechko. This angle had been somewhat overlooked, partly because of overshadowing by the far more generous other governments, and partly because of the overriding controversy over the support of the Syndicate.

In addition, the communication between the Kenmorian government and Construction Enterprises was basic to say the least. A major facet of the Laissez-Faire economy was never interfering with the activities of business, even when this would constitute nothing more than caution away from more illegal economic activities. Thus, nobody in the ministry of Foreign Affairs even looked at the telecommunications network or cast a cursory glance of the Boani complaints, nor did they accept any responsibility for the corporation’s employment and usage of the Syndicate. The former could change, but the latter never would change. It was not to neither the government’s nor the company’s knowledge that both of them would be attending.

The Kenmorian decision to join the Karevkan conference was motivated mainly by a desire to actually at least break even on the humanitarian aid investment. In the capitalist country, not a single organisation other than religions and the government existed to do anything other than make a great deal of money. The churches, mosques, temples, synagogues, and prayer groups all existed, at least thirty-three percent, to help people, which could have been why atheism was at the all time high of eighty-four percent. On the other hand, the government was much more willing to make and spend cash in order to improve either the state of the nation or the MPs’ paychecks, depending on whom was asking. Humanitarian aid thus served a dual purpose of effective advertising, and the generation of tourist monet by those who were inspired by pictures of starving children.

Despite being two very different structures, the Kenmorian government and Comstruction Enterprises were scheduled to arrive at roughly the same time. Both groups sent an esteemed representative: foreign secretary Jonathan Fletcherson and head of the Posteastan project Adalene Smith respectively, who were sent via private aircraft to the Marshal Reznikov International Airport. Then, they would be transported by taxis, driven by SPD agents, to Hotel Loyevka, where both would prepare their way to put a positive spin on any negatives and exemplify any positives. No matter with whom they would be faced, neither felt afraid of anything that could conspire there, for a certain level of arrogance wa necessary to survive in Kenmoria.

At roughly the same time, somebody working for The Custodian found a dossier on their doorstep from Uan aa Boa. It had detailed within its pages various activities of note to do with Construction Enterprises, some of which could be worth a lot of money were they to be sold to the company. However, that wasn’t at all safe to do. With labour laws as lax as they were, it would be easy for a hostile takeover to be launched and the entire newspaper to be brought then liquidated by the company, or one of its many corporate friends. That said, there was a way to get around any problems that might emerge with this: subcontraction. Although officially marketed as a liberal, relatively leftist newspaper, nobody could get anywhere if they weren’t willing to compromise on their ideals. Yes, the best way to publicise some scandal would be to get somebody else to do it.

Subject: Publication of Dossier
To: Whomever this concerns in Uan aa Boa
Encryption: Low
Dear whomever left the dossier for us,

Thank you very much for your delivery of the materials; they were extremely useful to us and will no doubt put a large dent in the hide of Construction Enterprises. We would love to publish the materials ourselves, but fear the possible wrath of a much larger company were we to do so. Thus, we have sent, securely, the dossier to the Sunday Perspective, which we have instructed to publish in a double page spread focusing on the actions in Posteastan.

Yours sincerely,
The Custodian
Last edited by Kenmoria on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
My pronouns are he/him.

Schwarzenfels
Secretary

Founded: Dec 17, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwarzenfels » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:09 pm

The Principality of
SCHWARZENFELS

It's good to trust others but, not to do so is much better

Hail to the Queen,

Your invitation is a great honor. There is no question that we will attend. There is a small problem with dispatching a fleet to this exercise. Schwarzenfels is entirely landlocked. We don't have a navy. I still think that participating in the exercise will be a great experience for our soldiers.

Schwarzenfels will send a special forces unit, two helicopter squadrons and four elite airborne units to your Strike Groups to participate. I hope that this will find your approval and we will be able to increase our nations' abilities to defend ourselves when we come under threat.

On Guard!

Generalissimo and Guardian Guide
of Schwarzenfels by the Grace of God

Albrecht von Hammerstein

Encryption: High | Kingdom of Kjalaara

Karevka
Envoy

Founded: Jan 16, 2019
Ex-Nation

Postby Karevka » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:21 pm

Komissarov took to the podium "International comrades, officials and journalists, as Prime Secretary of the Democratic Republic of Karevka I must address a very serious issue. As many of you know, the harrowing crisis in Posteastan is occupying the thoughts of many people. The people there live in tents or bombed out buildings with no roofs, suffer from disease and malnutrition while rival factions vying for control destroy the last remnants of peace and stability, giving little care to the people who claim to fight for them. We as a nation are not involved in the plight of the Posteastanian people but wish for a peaceful solution to end the conflict."

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:38 pm

Those who sell their liberty for security are understandable, if pitiable, creatures. Those who sell the liberty of others for wealth, power, or even a moment's respite deserve only the end of a rope.

From: Grand Ambassador Peter Nizhinsky, Free Kingdom Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Allanea
To: Adeema Pula, Revolutionary Workers' Council With Responsibility for Foreign Affairs, Uan aa Boa
Encryption: Secure encrypted diplomatic line
Comrade!

To be absolutely clear, if there is any attempt by a group like Construction Enterprises to move to the Free Kingdom, those responsible will be arrested and prosecuted as soon as such a fact is made known to the authorities. We honor and continue Lysander Spooner's abolitionist heritage.

If it is not possible for us to put pressure on the Kenmorians on this matter diplomatically, two things must be done.

a. We should redouble our efforts to physically extirpate human traffickers, and if they end up employed with Construction Enterprises, then so be it.
b. We should organize with a worthy entity to provide the services CE is right now aiming to provide. The easiest start, I am informed by my consultants would be with wireless communications. Usually I'd be trying to look up which Allanean company will do that, however I believe that doing so in this juncture would expose the Free Kingdom to additional accusations of doing what it is doing right now out of a pure desire for geopolitical points. It could be a for-profit company, a charity, or a government agency. Doing so would deny CE the monopoly status it doubtless craves.

Furthermore, death to the slaver.
Yours, Peter Nizhinsky.[/align]

"Bring her about! We have urgent orders!"

The destroyer FKS Industrious changed course rapidly, and its engines roared, straining against the ocean's waves. In several hours, the ship would be intercepted, along its course, by a pair of Navy helicopters that would land a small team of men aboard the vessel. The entire course of action was one of emergency – the Industrious was the only ship available, in that part of the sea, to intercept the Flying Porcine

It would take quite a while. A long seven hours, at full speed, before the ship was… no, still a whole sea's worth, two hundred miles, away from the Porcine, when one of the Narvik's tiny, roving observation drones detected the shape of the cargo ship.

"Attention, Flying Porcine, this is the FKS Industrious. To be blunt, we're a Free Kingdom Navy destroyer. We've six thousand five hundred tons of steel, fuel, and weapons, and we're asking you to slow down and allow yourself to be boarded. Cut engines and radar, please, and if you could make our boarding party some tea, that would be swell."
Last edited by Allanea on Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents