NATION

PASSWORD

An immediate dialogue [New Earth Only]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Andenkommunen
Secretary

Founded: May 11, 2018
Ex-Nation

An immediate dialogue [New Earth Only]

Postby Andenkommunen » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:57 pm

[This is a regional RP thread for the region New Earth, though the participants will, at least for now, be limited to the relevant parties of Aeuria and Andenkommunen.

Following the sudden arrest of several suspected Aeurian intellegence agents in Andenkommunen under accusation of attempted sabotage of the nation's finances, an immediate dialogue was called for by Aeuria. The government of Andenkommunen has since reluctantly obliged.

On a rainy evening in the nation's capital, foreign minister Franz Lindholm arrives outside the door of the Aeurian diplomatic mission accompanied by a small retinue of other elected and administrative officials. Standing under the awning, he gives a short nod toward the guards standing motionless on the other side of two large glass doors. After a few moments, one appears to speak to someone else inside out of sight, wait for a few moments, gesture slightly, and finally open the doors.

"Thank you," Franz walks past and is immediately greeted by a member of the diplomatic staff, to whom he addresses, "It is my understanding that the Aeurian foreign minister is to have just arrived?"

"His Excellency is to arrive within the hour. In the meantime, feel welcome to wait within the mission before the formal meeting can begin."

"Thank you."

He and his staff are guided down a hallway towards the dining room and lounge, the walls lined with valuable paintings, gold inlays, all warmly lit with highly ornate gilt-silver chandeliers, opening into the main dining hall even more heavily decorated. Though you may not have been able to tell from the exterior, it was certainly one of, if not the single most opulent and lavishly wealthy building in the entire nation, and whomever was tasked with it certainly had in mind the goal to entirely stand out from anything else.

Beginning to walk back out through the hallway, and gesturing for a guard to keep watch, the Aeurian staff continued, "You should not have to wait much longer. In the meantime, please, have a seat, we will come get you."
Last edited by Andenkommunen on Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeuria
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 13, 2014
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Aeuria » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:13 pm

Aeurian Embassy, Ewigeschneestadt
Foreign Minister Richard Bordeaux twisted his signet ring nervously as the Rolls-Royce state car slowed to a stop outside the embassy. Taking a shaky breath, the Minister tapped twice on the window before it was promptly opened by an aide. Quickly examining the building's unassuming exterior as he walked with purpose towards the doors, he was reminded quite sharply of just how different the two countries were. Indeed, the country had deviated and developed beyond anyone's expectation since the end of Aeurian colonial rule nearly 200 years ago. Receiving a formal salute from one of the guards who flanked the doors, the other quickly opened them and made way for the Minister and his aides. Stepping into the embassy's foyer, he was met with the painfully ornate Aeurian architecture; completely out of sync with its exterior.

Standing up from an armchair, one of the embassy's staff crossed the spacious interior to meet the Minister. "Your Excellency, welcome to the Andes."

Clearing his throat, Minister Bordeaux nodded at the woman with a faint smile. "Valentina, a pleasure to see you. Lindholm is here?"

"Yes, sir. We directed him and his staff to the lounge where they await your arrival." Valentina replied, motioning with one arm as she began leading the Minister and his aide through the embassy. "We have ensured they have remained comfortable and entertained, although the Andens are less... excessive than we are."

"Naturally." Bordeaux replied simply, grimacing at a particularly gaudy painting as the small group made their way through the marbled hallways of the embassy. "I must apologize for your assignment here, I thought it would have been a rather simple one. Hard to predict a disaster like this."

"You mustn't apologize, Richard. As you remember, I asked for this assignment. But as you say, we could hardly expect an entire team of 'Tarii to get themselves arrested." Valentina countered, as the group rounded a corner. "Now enough, we're in earshot."

Stopping outside the heavily carved wooden doors to the lounge, the Minister and his aides made final adjustments to their outfits; straightening their ties and running hands over their slicked hair. After final puffs of cigarettes and plenty of deep breaths, Bordeaux nodded to Valentina who slowly opened the doors revealing an even more palatial room. Within sat Minister Lindholm and his staff, who quickly rose to meet their Aeurian counterparts.

Putting on his most charming of smiles, Bordeaux met the eyes of Lindholm as he and his aides crossed the room. Stopping before them, Bordeaux and the other Aeurians offered a bow of the head. "Minister Lindholm, I thank you for agreeing to this meeting on such short notice. If you'd follow me through, we'll settle in the conference room." he began cordially, motioning with his arm towards a pair of doors that an aide quickly opened to reveal yet another lavish room of hardwoods and intricate carpeting.

As the two groups settled into their chairs around the conference table, their various aides unpacked their cases and folders quickly turning the spotless table into a morass of paperwork, documents, evidence, treaties, and legal opinions and rulings. Minister Bordeaux offered his counterpart a small smile as the process unfolded, taking little more than a minute. When all was done, the two men sat opposite one another flanked on either side by their respective staffs. Nodding to the guards who stood by the doors, Bordeaux watched the men leave and close the doors behind them. Taking a moment to pour himself a glass of ice water from one of the dozen pitchers spread across the table, Bordeaux took a sip before lighting a cigarette. Taking a single drag, he exhaled through his nose as he set the cigarette in an ashtray. Looking down at his notes, he shook his head.

"I must again thank you, Minister Lindholm, for meeting with me personally. I believe given the gravity of the situation, it is only appropriate we should speak directly." he began, hyper-aware of his aristocratic accent and the natural message it sent. He hoped it would not be a distraction or point of contention to the Andens any more than the embassy's palatial interior. Considering the circumstances of the meeting, Bordeaux quickly put such silliness out of his mind. "Onto the matter at hand... rather than make a fool of myself by issuing futile denials and indignation, I believe you have the right to the first words of substance. I shall listen earnestly to anything you wish to convey on behalf of your people and government, as it is my opinion that you are the wounded party in this ugly affair; despite the official line of my government and the unbecoming displays by my countrymen."

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:22 am

"Thank you, Minister Bordeaux." He coughed as a cloud of smoke began collecting around him in the stale air, "You spend millions on a lavish interior like this and then decide to stain it all with smoke?"

Shifting slightly away into fresh air, he continues, "My apologies. Anyway, as far as this issue goes, I do not personally see what resolution between our nations there is to be had. These men have all been detained on suspicion of very serious crime, and they will be tried in a court of law, with a defender as in any other case, and sentenced accordingly. As it stands, the matter of what will happen to them is no longer a political matter, it is a legal and factual one. Further evidence is being gathered by both counterintellegence in the city and local municipal police in order to shed further light on the situation. Only a few hours ago I have been informed they discovered further evidence in the form of several documents that appear to be part of a dossier of seemingly Aeurian origin hidden within the residency assigned to their fake identities they professed when captured."

Franz leaned back into his chair for a moment, looking around the room and thinking of the hilarity of the situation. Here he was, within the capital of his own nation, sitting in an embassy that you would have no evidence was anywhere in Andenkommunen short of looking out the windows, talking with a collection of Aeurian aristocrats who were likely just about to request he find a way to interfere with the nation's process of law and have them released for some reason or another.

Clearing his throat after that now clearly overly long pause, Franz continued, "Now, if these men are found guilty, that will simply be the situation. A sentence will be served, and, in the eyes of our law, Aeuria will be guilty beyond a shadow of a doubt of attempting to sabotage an entire third of our economy and finances, for reasons that I myself am not even sure of. Nobody really suspected you would have any malice or desire to give harm to us—well, except for the counterintellegence in Liemak, clearly—but that is what it is looking like now, and the truth of that is to be determined in court."

Knowing their obvious response, and not wanting to have to beat around the bush in false politeness, Lindholm adds one more statement before he lets Bordeaux continue, "If I am correct in assuming this, as is the entire reason you have come here, you are now going to profess their innocence and request their immediate release?"

Aeuria
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Aeuria » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:07 pm

Bordeaux listened closely and without reservation, Lindholm's bluntness and determination becoming clearer as he spoke. Gently tapping his thumbs together, the Foreign Minister had expected this to be the most likely course of action by the Andens. When Lindholm posed his question, Minister Bordeaux rested his hands on the table.

"As I said, Minister Lindholm, I have no intention to claim the innocence of these men as we both know that would be a futile exercise. You have made your government's position on this matter clear and I cannot fault you for wanting to prosecute these men." Bordeaux began, prompting a curious expression from his senior aide. "Of course, we cannot allow this occur so you are, at least in part, correct as to the reason for my being here. Understandably, Imperial Intelligence is rather concerned as to what has occurred and they have informed me quite clearly that men you arrested hold senior rank and a handful of them are from noble bloodlines. This obviously puts our two governments at odds as you wish to jail these intelligence officers and my government cannot allow the imprisonment of seven high-ranking officers of the aristocracy."

Taking a moment to take a drag from his cigarette, Bordeaux consulted his notes. Much of it was useless or trivial but offered potential incentives for Anden cooperation. The level of Frumentarii interference in the nation's economy was substantial to say the least and Bordeaux felt, quite strangely, that the Andens were justified in their position. That only made his role in freeing the spies harder.

"No, rather than make demands and threats over their release, I have been vested with full authority of the Emperor to negotiate an arrangement that will secure the release of the officers and avoid the media circus that will come from the trials." Giving his senior aide a glance, the man quickly produced a folder that Bordeaux opened. "I will concede you're likely hesitant if not unwilling to bargain, as I have said your position is justified. However, the Commonwealth is willing to offer significant reparations for these officers foolish and clearly misguided actions. I have no intention to attempt bribery or any such indignity but rather to offer the Anden government contracts on behalf of His Majesty's government to provide foreign investment and capital to the Anden economy; namely within Liemak where these officer's operations were targeted."

"I cannot begin to apologize for the attempted subversion of your nation's economy but it is the position of the Crown that reparations must be made and a very clear message sent. I would propose rather than dragging this scandal and shame further into the public realm, we instead offer the peoples of our nations a new sense of cooperation and partnership. Granted, there are far better ways on which to found a productive relationship but I believe in at least making the attempt. If circumstances have so far made a relationship between us a distant and impossible notion, perhaps it better for a scandal to occur get us to the table and resolve such differences."

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:43 am

Hearing the Aeurian foreign minister's response, Franz nearly began to break into laughter at what was simultaneously both an incredibly unexpected and an incredibly unsurprising response. Visibly relaxing into his chair, he lifts his glass of water and, after taking a long drink, responds.

"You clearly have a significant misunderstanding both of the concept of bribery and the economy of Andenkommunen. Impregnation of foreign capital and contractual investment into Liemak is hardly reparations, and fundamentally could not function without directly bypassing well established laws of the nation. Inherently, an economic investment implies the acquisition of right to some form of property and its subsequent economic fruits, to which we would never—simply could never—be amicable."

Realizing the obvious intense discomfort and frustration immediately present on his Aeurian counterparts due to his response, after finishing the rest of his glass of water, he continued what was originally intended to be a complete statement.

"Now, that is not to say we aren't open to beneficial co-operation with Aeuria, nor that we wouldn't desire friendlier relations with you as a whole. It would, however, have to be something other than what you have offered thus far, and I am of course willing to discuss for as long as need be to place ourselves in a situation most beneficial to the both of our nations and people. I also would like to suggest that this meeting could be an opportunity to begin a dialogue on subjects of larger scale than this particular incident, our nations certainly do not often address one another and I am certain that if need be I could acquire further involvement from the necessary bodies of government to consider other situations. Otherwise, that is beside the point, and for now we can return to the current discussion, if you have anything to add."

Aeuria
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Aeuria » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:54 am

Bordeaux gritted his teeth at Lindholm's response, his aides offered silent sighs as they closed countless folders. Picking up his cigarette, the Foreign Minister pulled heavily on it as Lindholm continued, his explanation of his government's position on foreign investment more than frustrating to Bordeaux. He of course had been warned of this by his staff; how could these communists possibly involve themselves in foreign investment? Investment that came from from imperialists and the former rulers of the Andes.

As Lindholm returned the conversation to a more productive atmosphere, Bordeaux relaxed. In his mind, the worst-case scenario had just occurred yet the dialogue remained opened. Despite his rejection of Bordeaux's offer, Lindholm seemed genuine in his interest of cooperation. Of course, Bordeaux was now in a bind he thought as he again pulled heavily from his cigarette before returning it to the ashtray. Most of his plans involving the officers' release depended on some form of economic incentive to the Andens, incentives whose mentioning nearly derailed the talks.

It seemed they knew the true value of the men they held: far more than several billion Denarii in state funds.

"I must admit my disappointment, Minister Lindholm, but also my understanding." Gently clearing his throat, Bordeaux closed the folder in front of him. "I am, at least, relieved to hear you are open to other opportunities to resolve not only this situation but the larger issues between our nations." Taking a moment to reflect, he fiddled with his signet ring before leaning over to whisper to his senior aide. After a few moments of a hushed exchange, the aide nodded and produced another folder. Opening it and scanning the documents, Bordeaux adjusted himself in his chair. "As you have said, I lack an understanding of the workings of the Anden economy. Given the circumstances for us being here, it was perhaps inappropriate to suggest such a solution." Leaning forward, Bordeaux again rested his hands on the table. "Presuming similar offers would be met with the same response, I would ask you directly, Minister Lindholm: what can I offer that would make your government amenable to releasing these officers?"

Minister Bordeaux was glad no representative of the Crown was here to witness or involve themselves in the talks, as they likely would have already ended with a display of indignation and anger. For better or worse, the Foreign Minister held his position due to his uniquely diplomatic disposition when compared to his peers. While he regarded his empire as the greatest and most significant political entity on the planet, unlike his compatriots he felt no compulsion or need to express or operate from such alienating rhetoric. Despite its military conquests and administrative skill, the Aeurian state largely lacked a cooperative diplomatic attitude; preferring instead to use its significant resources to threaten, cajole, bribe, or otherwise manipulate foreign governments into cooperation. If nothing else, the Andens had evolved into a principled people; something Bordeaux could appreciate despite the uncomfortable position it was currently putting him in. Their adherence to their principles and the magnitude of the scandal had now forced Bordeaux and the Aeurian delegation to negotiate from a position unique to them: one in which they did not clearly possess the upper hand.

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:09 pm

Franz smirked in mild surprise at not seeing the storming out in a huff of the other side as he had thought most probable from giving such a response, and felt delighted at the sight of an Aeurian of such high dignity and power taking no for an answer.

“Well, you see, we are neither a dictatorship nor a monarchy; the difficulty of getting these men released cannot be understated and will require the involvement and approval of multiple institutions of our government. Any potential incentive simply cannot be trivial if it is to get through legally, regardless of my personal opinion. And getting through legally is not optional, we are neither your errant subject nor a wounded animal desperate to do anything to survive, and as such have no obligation, legal or geopolitical, to accept any offer for reasons other than its merit in and of itself to us.”

Beginning to become mildly annoyed at this foreign minister’s complete lack of education on the nations of the world, Franz stretched lightly in his chair and continued in a slightly more dejected tone.

“If Aeuria still desires to use its finances to its advantage here, even if it is not the entire incentive, the simplest offer that we can legally accept is direct monetary transfer without attached strings that would be used internationally for the acquisition of resources and goods, which we ourselves could use to advance the economy. There are also other options that may be of interest to our government, such as direct governmental deals or treaties lying on a more geopolitical level. However, you must remember that whatever you offer I cannot promise the acceptance of beyond a mere guess, and as such you should likely consider multiple options.”

Aeuria
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Aeuria » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:29 pm

Nodding at Lindholm's words, Minister Bordeaux again began to idly spin his signet ring around his finger as he thought. "I see."

He was surprised to learn Lindholm was not vested with the full authority of his government, although in hindsight this was to be expected of a nation who seemed to detest unilateralism. Bordeaux's own status as a plenipotentiary ultimately meant little when his counterpart could not claim the same authority. Bound by his nation's bureaucracy, Minister Lindholm was not in a position to order the officers' release, however cordial the two men became. Leaning back in his chair as he began to appreciate the legal complexities that made their release so difficult, Bordeaux felt a sense his work in the Andes would extend far beyond this one meeting. Sitting up, Bordeaux took a sip of water before continuing.

"It would appear that if I am to accomplish my goals, we must expand the scope of these discussions beyond the simplicity of capital and material resources. I would ask for your forgiveness, Minister Lindholm; I believed a solution to this matter was readily available but it seems the situation is more complex than I assumed." Taking a moment to collect his thoughts, Bordeaux considered the many paths now before him. "Nonetheless, I believe we occupy a position that can be used to accomplish something greater than the release of a handful of men. As you say, we will be unable to unilaterally settle this matter today but we are able to create the foundations on which we can work to resolve our outstanding differences."

Tapping the ash from his cigarette as he picked it up, Bordeaux took a long drag as he flipped through the pages before him. The dozens of plans drawn up by his Ministry were all shots in the dark, some now entirely unsuitable given the change in circumstances. Closing the folder as he realized it held nothing of value, Bordeaux considered his options. What could he offer that would not only please the Andens but not risk creating a scandal at home? While he held full authority to make whatever deal he felt appropriate, he would have to personally report his decisions to the Emperor; a man not known for his patience nor a liking of communists. Sighing heavily, Bordeaux put such thoughts out of his mind. They were just another obstacle to his mission. Twisting his cigarette out, Bordeaux met the eyes of Lindholm.

"I would propose a formal Declaration of Diplomatic Normalization between Aeuria and Andenkommunen." Bordeaux stated boldly, prompting his senior aide to choke on his water. Giving the man a passing glance of disapproval, the Foreign Minister returned his attention to Lindholm. "Aeuria can end an outdated approach that, for decades, has failed to advance our interests, and we can instead begin to normalize relations between our two countries. Shedding the animosity of ideological disagreements, we may make fundamental changes to our relationship. Through the elimination of barriers placed on trade and travel, greater numbers of tourists, students, and businessmen alike may flow between our nations. Through these changes, we can create more opportunities for the Anden and Aeurian people alike and begin a new chapter in our national histories; a chapter of cooperation, of peace, and of respect."

Taking a deep breath, he continued. "I will not lie to you, Minister Lindholm - what I propose is nothing short of a radical shift in Aeurian foreign policy. This normalization will be the foundation on which our future relations will rest. It will comprehensively redefine the very nature of our relationship. Even with the authority delegated to me, it will take considerable effort on my part to convince His Majesty that this is indeed the wisest and most beneficial course of action. Before I take such action, I would hear your opinion on the matter. I would not risk my career to secure an arrangement undesired by your government."

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:56 pm

Listening intently, Lindholm's frustration merely grew at the man sitting before him who had been somehow entrusted with the full power of the greatest economy and empire the world had ever seen. After exchanging occasional glances with his accompanying diplomatic staff, clearly experiencing the same emotions as himself, Lindholm let out a short sigh.

"Your proposal does seem to be missing the mark in that there would be no private enterprise—perhaps beyond one man, personal enterprises—for which you to open 'free trade' to, nor for businessmen to come from and to. Such an agreement, beyond requiring a radical change in the economy, would only lead to Andenkommunen becoming one of many other satellite production economies of the wealthiest nations of the world."

He once again relaxed, hoping Minister Bordeaux had finally gotten the message and would not continue to give such 'offers', and then began considering the rest of his proposal. It was, indeed, very strange to hear this put forward, and as much as his competency is certainly in question the Aeurian appeared to hold actual care for a good outcome of this conference not only for himself but for Andenkommunen as well. Visibly less irritated, Franz moved his chair further toward the table, leaning forward towards Bordeaux, now no longer speaking to him with a clearly distanced and impersonal posture.

"That aside, we would be fully in support of relaxing borders in general; as it stands, from nations that allow travel into Andenkommunen it is a relatively simple process with very few barriers, in or out. As it would require no new legislation, that is one of very few things that I can promise you will be arranged if we are able to decide on it during this or further conferences. Beyond that, as is clear from the very happening of this meeting, we would like nothing more but for further channels of diplomacy to be opened with any nations that seek it. Now, my question is this, would this offer be solely on condition of the releasing of the prisoners, or in addition to that discussion, is it possible we could work out such a situation not for the resolution of an international incident, but for true care of the benefit of both of our respective people?"
Last edited by Andenkommunen on Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aeuria
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Aeuria » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:27 pm

Minister Bordeaux felt disappointment at Lindholm's initial rebuttal; the man's firm stance against any Aeurian influence within the Anden economy clear. Bordeaux felt the man had misunderstood his offer of free trade. Hiding his wounded pride and sense of bitterness, he listened as the man softened his tone before responding. "We of course recognize the Anden economy does not possess private enterprises as Aeuria does, Minister. The relaxation of trade was made in reference to trade conducted between our governments, not by privately-owned corporate entities."

Considering his question carefully, Bordeaux replied. "The offer is not solely conditional on the release of our officers but you must understand we cannot allow the matter to proceed any further than it already has while at the same time forging a new path of cooperation. I cannot return to His Majesty with a deal that does not include the release of our men. Minister Lindholm, I have proposed normalization in an effort to transform this scandal between our nations into something other than an international incident. Given the significance of normalizing relations, I would ask you to consider whether the release of seven individuals would truly strain the Anden government."

Minister Bordeaux did his best to restrain his irritation by his counterpart's continued questioning and doubt. He knew the two nations clearly had a distant understanding of each other but Bordeaux approached a state of anger as he felt the Anden wasn't appreciating the unprecedented nature of what Bordeaux was offering in exchange for a handful of spies. He thought perhaps the Andens were unaware or did not care about the benefits or international implications of having the favor of Praevalidus, or indeed that the Anden commitment to justice blinded them to even the most pragmatic of motivations to bend. Whatever the case was, Bordeaux took a deep breath to calm himself.

"I give you my assurances their release will be received as a sign of goodwill by both the Crown and the Aeurian people. With the officers out of the picture, there is nothing limiting these discussions other our governments' ambitions and willingness to commit to cooperation. There is a fruitful relationship to be had between our nations, we should not allow a few spies to sour its potential."

Leaning back in his chair, Bordeaux quickly lit another cigarette as Lindholm considered his words. Hoping his counterpart understood his position, the Aeurian felt the situation was in risk of fracturing if the matter of the spies was not resolved. If the Andens would not budge on the matter, there was little to nothing Bordeaux could offer them.
Last edited by Aeuria on Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:34 am

Franz continued to listen to Bordeaux, gesturing towards a member of the diplomatic staff with a pitcher of water, before suddenly becoming very embarrassed. He realized now he was too busy being contradictive that he had a significant misunderstanding of Bordeaux and essentially had insulted him with an assumption of not realizing his earlier statements. Swallowing his pride, along with another glass of water, his grin faded as he went to speak once more.

“Oh dear, my apologies Minister... I was under an impression you were specifically talking about private industry in particular, not public trading. That is my blunder, I now understand what you mean. Now, freeing trade in that sense would indeed be possible, however you must keep in mind our policy of avoiding the trade of goods that were produced under harsh or unfair labor circumstances, and I unfortunately am not fully read on what labor circumstances are present in most of Aeuria. As such I cannot promise that we would be in fact willing to accept most of your goods, but if they are produced in fair conditions without cruel treatment or cruel pay I assure that it would be an option.”

A sense of shame slowly growing on him, he leafed through a dossier quickly prepared for him to read over to refresh is understanding of Aeuria. And... nothing, not one page on their labor circumstances. Likely due to the fact not one person expected an offer such as this coming from Aeuria nobody figured it useful to include, nor even tell Lindholm at any point.

Now, he was left in a position of uncertainty where he could make no promises to the man he faced in front of, a man who has been asking specifically for certainty so they could move on. Drinking more water to extent the polite amount of time he would have to think, he set it down and continued his response.

“I would also like to note that, as much as I personally would be delighted to open up said opportunities of trade, there is still the questions of whether my fellow comrades in government would consider it worthwhile enough to be the sole reason for entirely bypassing the usual systems of justice. After all, your prices likely wouldn’t be very different from other trading opportunities of nations with acceptable labor conditions that we already have, so I cannot see a guarantee here either if this is the sole offer. I am truly sorry that I cannot promise more, but without a deal that would simply not be an option to deny I cannot give any guarantees at this moment.”
Last edited by Andenkommunen on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

Aeuria
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Aeuria » Sun Feb 03, 2019 9:04 pm

Bordeaux looked to his senior aide, eyes widened with indignation. Literally biting his tongue, the Foreign Minister reflected on Lindholm's words as he began to seethe. Never in his career as a diplomat had he encountered such an impossible counterpart, refusing to guarantee even the most basic of agreements. He knew not whether this was his own ignorance of the Andens or how they conducted themselves but Lindholm's refusal to commit to anything had quickly eroded the Aeurian's patience. Bordeaux even began to question whether preventing the spy scandal was worth humbling Aeuria to a nation seemingly more concerned with labor rights than a diplomatic breakthrough.

In the end, Lindholm couldn't provide Bordeaux with what he needed: a guarantee. The Andens' bureaucracy paralyzed them and prevented the swift resolutions commonplace in Aeuria, whether by the Emperor himself or on the authority of a Minister such as Bordeaux. Stubbing out his cigarette, Bordeaux considered how extraordinarily differently the two governments operated and how the stark differences would influence a working relationship.

"Minister Lindholm, with all due respect, my patience grows thin. I recognize you cannot commit to anything today on your own authority however my task here is of the utmost urgency to the Aeurian Empire and the Crown. I cannot allow this conversation to become bogged down in irrelevant matters such as labor rights." Taking a moment to calm himself, Bordeaux inhaled sharply. "Since this matter will be decided by your government, I ask that you relay the Empire's offer of diplomatic normalization to your superiors. Given you cannot negotiate with guarantees, I fear there is little more progress to be made today beyond that. I propose we adjourn until your government has had sufficient time to consider the situation and our offer, would you agree, Minister Lindholm?"

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:29 pm

Lindholm sat disappointed at the, in hindsight, quite predictable lack of Aeurian experience with diplomacy towards non-monarchies. Already beginning to gather his things and preparing to leave the embassy, he made his reply short and quickly to the clearly near-exasperated aristocrat before him.

"That is surely understandable. Our government meets regularly and as luck would have it began session while I awaited your arrival."

Beginning to slightly scowl as he realized the choice of words and tone Bordeaux had used was bordering on an insult, not wanting to allow his politeness to get the better of him and allow that to entirely slide.

"The government of Andenkommunen is designed to have minimal bureaucracy beyond what it necessary for democracy and has been created in such a way to respond to urgent situations both democratically and with haste, so it really should be no concern, and I will be able to provide you with an answer by sundown. Is there anything else you request I bring to their attention or request a guarantee on?"

Finishing his sentence and waiting for an answer, he finally pushes back on his chair, stands up, and pushes it in, waiting for a response which he hoped would not be complex so he could finally leave the meeting for at least some time.

Aeuria
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Aeuria » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:21 pm

The Aeurians instinctively rose as Minister Lindholm stood up, the aides offering nods of deference to the Anden while Bordeaux simply smiled softly. As the doors were opened by a servant, Bordeaux adjusted his cuffs. "No, that will be all, Minister. It has been a unique pleasure. I look forward to future dialogues between our nations. Lady Valentina will see you out, safe travels."

Turning to the embassy's chargée d'affaires who stood in the doorway, he nodded once to the woman. As the Andens made their exit, the Aeurians waited patiently and with smiles. As the doors closed, the silence lingered for several moments until the muffled footsteps became inaudible. Taking a deep breath, Minister Bordeaux all but ripped his tie off as he loosened it.

"What the hell was that?" one of the aides exclaimed.

"Unbelievable." another huffed. "Never in all my years..."

"Sir, are you quite sure normalization is the best resolution to this matter? If this is how these people think to negotiate with us..."

Bordeaux sighed as he sat back down, lighting yet another cigarette. After a few puffs the man cleared his throat once, silencing his subordinates. "Enough. The offer has been made. If these people refuse to bend, we will play their games. The release of our officers remains the priority. If the Andens wish to deliberate, let them. I advise you get comfortable gentlemen, I fear we may be here for some time."

Standing up, Bordeaux swiftly exited the conference room, passing through the parlor and finding his way back to the embassy's foyer. Ascending a staircase, and traveling through several more hallways, he arrived at the Ambassador's apartments which sat unoccupied; the Empire never appointed a full Ambassador to the communist nation, instead leaving its diplomatic mission in the care of a chargé d'affaires. As Bordeaux made his way through the lavish quarters, he considered a shortlist of potential candidates for the position if the Andens accepted his offer.

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:34 pm

Lindholm emerged from the nation's capitol onto a long staircase and out into the unusual ever-increasing summer downpour as the evening had descended sharply into night. Somewhat disappointed, but also quite relieved that the Aeurians wouldn't immediately get off scot free, he held in hand a hopefully watertight briefcase. Encased within were a number of documents from the discussion that had occurred moments before which would hopefully do the explaining for him towards Minister Bordeaux who had clearly become tired of Franz's refutations of their subjectively generous offers. Thunder clapped through the city and a gust of wind blew a cloud of rain and mist across the streets, occluding vision even across to the other block.

Beginning to tire even further from an already somewhat exhausted position, and observing the blackness of night and intensity of the storm, Lindholm turns to one of his diplomatic staff that had exited beside him.

"Please. Travel to the embassy and inform them that I cannot continue for the night, and that discussions may resume this morning."

"Of course."

"Thank you."

The two diverged paths as Franz started the short walk to his apartment only a handful of blocks from the capitol to finally get to rest for the night.

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:02 pm

As the sun first began to peak out from behind the mountains in its way, Stephen Lindholm and a collection of staff once again approached the Aeurian embassy. Entering, he and his staff exchanged greetings and after waiting a few minutes returned to the hall to further continue the diplomatic exchange.

After the great frustration of the Aeurians in the last session, he tried to think of some way to present what he inevitably had to without having to endure their silent scoffs and moans in response.

“Thank you, again, for taking the time to meet in this second session. However, what I have to report is that our government will unfortunately not be accepting an offer solely of diplomatic normalization. And while it is my greatest desire to see a favorable resolution to both of our interests I am inclined to agree that in our geopolitical situation, diplomatic normalization is of comparatively little benefit to our people.”

Aeuria
Diplomat

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Aeuria » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:39 am

The Aeurians waited for their Anden counterparts in reflective silence within the embassy's second-floor library. The smoke of a dozen cigarettes slowly choked the room as diplomats poured over documents and missives. Sitting at a large desk, Foreign Minister Bordeaux cleared his throat before making his way to one of the room's windows which he quickly opened. As he did so, the heavy doors to the room slowly swung inwards and a servant offered a bow. "Your Excellency, Minister Lindholm and his associates have arrived."

Sitting in the conference room for about a minute, the doors were opened and Lindholm and the Andens made their way to their seats. After a few moments, the man spoke. Bordeaux merely clenched his jaw, slowly grinding his teeth together. Looking to his senior aide, the man's frustration was apparent. Staring at the Anden for what became an uncomfortable period of silence, Bordeaux offered the faintest smile. "Very well, Minister Lindholm."

Taking a deep breath through his nose, Bordeaux looked down at his papers. The Emperor had not offered a favorable opinion on his efforts; indeed the monarch had all but recalled Bordeaux out of anger. "How dare these reds pull a stunt like this and then refuse arbitration!" he had roared over the phone. With the carpet pulled from under him, Bordeaux had nothing to offer the Anden now.

"I must express my government's dissatisfaction. His Majesty has instructed me to withdraw our offer of normalization, so it is for the best your government has declined. Minister Lindholm, I fear there is no peaceful solution to this affair given your government's obstinate resistance to our offers of goodwill. I have nothing to offer you and you evidently have nothing to offer me. This entire exercise has been a waste of time." he spat bitingly, drawing the looks of his aides. "Prosecute our officers to your heart's content but understand you have made enemies in Praevalidus. We shall see how your people benefit from this. There is nothing more for us to discuss." Standing up, Bordeaux snapped his fingers and the room's doors were opened. "I would thank you for your time but we both know that would be a hollow gesture."

Andenkommunen
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Andenkommunen » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:47 am

Lindholm sighed, looking at the flock of outraged imperials that day before him.

“Very well. I suppose I should have expected nothing more from a hegemony such as yourselves. The fair process of trial we have instituted and kept to since our founding will continue as planned. I would have hoped that, as you were caught as the offending party deliberately sabotaging our nation you would not use said violence as a justification for more, but if your statement that there will be no peaceful solution is a credible threat the days of this embassy are numbered.”

Lindholm quickly exited the embassy, ready to inform all those who were interested what had just occurred. He muttered to his staff around him,

“So I suppose we should suggest to the generals to be on alert.”

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents