NATION

PASSWORD

Arsenal of Civilization [Closed, ATTN: Fuvuni]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Kisia
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Arsenal of Civilization [Closed, ATTN: Fuvuni]

Postby Kisia » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:03 pm

Lobby, Director’s Office
Heikari Research Station
Yeisho-ju, Asankari Star Republic, Kisian League

Deputy Commander Keisage Heikoru wasn’t in the best of moods today. He fast-walked down the corridor, flanked by two members of the State Army. Keisage was an older kisian, in his late 80s, his hair and fur had long since turned grey-white, his whiskers also drooping with age. His muscled body and scarred visage betrayed his age however. A veteran of the First Republican Rising, the Five Bloody Years, as well as the Republican Reunification Wars, Keisage had been around for some time.

His olive drab half-cloak fluttered slightly from the speed he was walking, matching his equally colored tunic; the dark khaki trousers with red piping and jet-black boots complimented the entire outfit. A garrison cap with red piping adorned his head, four equally red diamond shaped pips sat to the right, just below a blue, white, and red colored cap badge indicating he was an officer of the Asankirian State Army.

As he walked into the lobby of the Director’s Office, a young woman looked up from her desk and eyed him. “Deputy Commander Heikoru? Director Meitado is waiting for you in his office. If you’d follow me…” she said, before he stopped her.

“It’s fine, I know the way. Just buzz me in, if you would please.” Heikoru spoke, before giving a curt nod to the secretary. Turning to his guards, he motioned for them to wait in the lobby, before proceeding ahead alone.

Directors Office

Director Aiku Meitado was sitting at his elegant desk, absentmindedly thumbing through some reports while smoking a cigar. The entire room, which resembled more of a mansion’s study than it did a central office, even had a window overlooking one of the worlds in the system. Bored with reports for now, he got up and walked over to a wall console. Hitting a button, a panel moved away to reveal a fully stocked liquor bar.

He was in the middle of pouring himself a glass of Naporsli when Heikoru walked in, giving Meitado a quizzical look at the bright green looking beverage. When he returned the gaze in response, Heikoru merely rolled his eyes and took a seat.

“We have matters to discuss.” Heikoru stated plainly.

“They call it Naporsli. I got a rather expensive bottle of it as a gift from one of the leading Fuvuni working with us on the project. I knew there was a reason I’d open it today…” Meitado replied, ignoring the comment at first.

Heikoru disliked Meitado to some degree, both of them being different products of their times. While both of them were Asankirians, Heikoru had grown up in the twilight years of a dying empire and rather crisis-prone First Republic. Meitado had grown up in the relative peace and prosperity of the Second Republic, the troubling times of the First Republic mere chapters in the history books to him.

At only 32 years old, the light-grey furred Kisian had managed not only to obtain a prestigious position- he’d done it without his family, having been disowned by them shortly into adulthood. Being the second son, it was expected he’d enlist in the military to fight for glory and honor; instead, he took another path- that of an engineer. Being from a prominent political family, the resultant internal discord and public loss of face the family suffered was severe, and as a last ditch effort to save face, his father disowned and subsequently banished him, revoking his original last name as a final insult.

He cared little, taking on the family name of his mother before she married. Using what little savings he had left, he bought a ticket, and set sail for new opportunities in the frontier. He was not as order-bound as his father- or Heikoru for that matter. He held a view that patriotism could come in many more flavors than just fighting and dying on the line for the League, that order and stability, while having it’s place, needed to be tempered with proper democratic zeal, and that the alien, while to be distrusted, could be worked with to some degree.

It was these contrasting views between the old and new generations that split them apart, causing the two to not see eye to eye on many issues.

“I don’t appreciate your tomfoolery in the least.” Heikoru replied, wrinkling his nose at the foreign beverage. “I don’t see how you do it, treating with these aliens and partaking of their food and beverages. Is that really how you think a Kisian should behave?”

“The Fuvuni by all means, are very skilled weapons designers and allies of the Republic. I think it is safe to partake of their meat and spirits, at the least. They help us in our overall goal of keeping our nation safe. That’s all that matters to me.” Meitado fired back, Heikoru giving a slight nod.

“Anyhow.” he continued, sipping on the beverage. “I take it you’re here to inquire about the…delays in the new department?” He inquired, looking at the aged general.

“Indeed. I’ve put a large investment of my time and political credit, if you will, into seeing this project blossom. Succeed, and we’ll both be looking at a smooth ride for the foreseeable future as the League pioneers these new weapons systems into general combat usage. Fail, and we’ll both be dismissed as fools.” He looked across the room to the window, staring out at the planet. “I’d rather take my own life than suffer the embarrassment of such an abject existence.” Meitado scoffed.

“You sound very much like my father, his honor is his life.” He said in a mocking manner, before suddenly becoming much more serious. “I am however, still an Asankirian, and my word is my honor as well.” Hammering back the rest of the drink, he slammed the cup down on the desk and began rapidly clacking away on his keyboard, before turning one of the many screens on his desk to face the general. On the screen were several images of various prototype weapons, with associated technical jargon and other such stats. Meitado stood, pouring himself another drink before walking to the other side of the desk. Before Heikoru could complain, he stopped him again.

“Admittedly, I think better when I’m slightly inebriated.” he stated plainly, with his colleague shrugging and motioning him to continue. Taking a sip, he then went on. “Before you are all of the prototype weapons you and your colleagues have requested. Working with the Fuvuni, who are admittedly much better experts in the field of uranium and atomic based weapons systems, we’ve more or less finalized everything, and we’ll be holding the joint preliminary trials before we put them into full production very soon. “

Heikoru clapped his hands together. “Excellent. I’ll info-” he paused for a second. “Joint? You mean they’ll be there?”

“This is a combined effort development between the Hand of Xikanra Manufacturing Corporation and Fennesraum People’s Armory. They’ll be there to also observe and to collect data on the weapons designed specifically for their species. Obviously, a Kisian weapon is much too big for them to handle, and vice versa for ourselves. Speaking of….” Meitado briefly walked back around, typed some more commands, and an outline of a tank came into view. He talked with apparent pride evident in his voice.

“This is one such design. We created a vehicle that essentially induces criticality events to fire concentrated beams of irradiated energy at people. It would be great for area denial or to clear out buildings and other such areas before a general assault. We got the idea by-”

“You can spare me the more technical aspects of your weapons platform, Director. Just inform me of when it’ll be taking place and I’ll be there. I’m making final preparations to propose the formation proper of the Nuclear Cadre, and I need these results before I go before the Army Command to suggest such a thing.” He stood, beginning to take his leave.

“Soon, so very soon, I’ll be in command of the newest branch of the Combined Armies….” He said, trailing off in delight. He turned back to Meitado. “Sometimes, we don’t exactly see eye to eye. But I know you're a patriot in your own way. Do what needs to be done.”

Meitado raised the drink up while simultaneously doing a nod with his head, before downing the 2nd glass, and going back to sit at his desk to work on things.

Sometime later
Testing Range No. 4

Assembled at the range’s observation room was a small handful of researchers, a cadre of military officers led by Heikoru, as well as Meitado. They all were in quiet conversation as they watched what was the first of the final prototypes of the so-called ‘Atomic Railguns’ to be set up. Metado brought some displays up on screen.

“Gentlemen, being set up now is we are calling the Type 242 Uranium Anti-Material Rail-Rifle. It utilizes a depleted uranium penetrator round, which is encased in a magnetic sabot to assist in firing the round and in maintaining its accuracy over long ranges. Additionally, with the help the Concordat, we’ve made significant improvements in battery life compared to our older Type 174 Marksman Rail-Rifle.” Meitado stated, the assembled looking on at the various stats of the weapon, before turning back to the armored viewport overseeing the range.

A soldier came on over the radio. “Director, Type 242 Prototype 6 is ready for demonstration. Targets have been set up down range and safety measures have been disengaged.” Meitado made a hand motion to one of the researchers standing next to a comms panel, who flipped some switches, and the lights in the room turned a dull red, and a distant buzzing noise was heard.

“Zone is secured and testing alert has been sent to the greater station. We’re ready to proceed.” the same researcher stated.

“Excellent. The first targets are three Imperial-era warsuits. Deputy Commander, would you like to give the order to fire?” Meitado enquired. Heikoru nodded, stepping forward, accepting a headset that Meitado retrieved from his pocket, already configured.

“Firing authority has been granted to the Deputy Commander, stand-by!” the researcher barked into the comm unit.

Heikoru took a breath, before hitting a button on the headset. “Fire!” he shouted.

There was a flash of light and the screeching of crumpling metal as the round shot through all of it’s targets like butter, before eventually hitting several layers of reinforced metal and concrete. Everyone clapped as the weapon test went off without a hitch. While everyone in the observation room celebrated, on the range the now destroyed husks were removed, and different ones put in place.

“As you can see gentlemen, the Type 242 will be an excellent addition to our Arsenal of Democracy, with the uranium rounds giving increased ‘oomph’, if I do say so myself. Our next target will be some mockups of heavy tanks. After you, Deputy Commander.” Meitado stated.

Heikoru nodded. “Fire!”

Like before, there was a flash of light and the screeching of crumpling armor. This time however, the soldier operating the weapon fired off several shots in quick succession, showing the quickness and ease-of-use of the weapon. While the majority of the rounds fired off penetrated all the tanks, there were a few that didn’t, something that was reflected on the viewscreens in the observation room.

“Most of the rounds managed to penetrate all the tanks in the same general areas, as you can see on the screen there. Naturally, not every round will manage to do so, but considering these will be employed in units larger than one man, the volume of fire shall compensate for this. ” Meitado explained.

The room again broke into clapping and approval, as the prototype was removed from the room and the armored shutters in the observation room closed back. "As you can see gentlemen, this powerful weapon is just one of several we've developed. We will be ready to put them into full production within the next few months, for actual field testing against our enemies. I thank you for your time." Meitado turned and gave a deep bow, before one of the attendant researchers opened the door leading out of the chamber.
Last edited by Kisia on Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Member of TSAR

Kisian Newsthread
Factbook of the Kisian League

LadyRadarEars: I forgot what Kisian ships are powered by
Crypt: unfiltered nationalism

Daimler-Benz: The League is literally just 'Have War Crimes, Will Travel'

Zuulman: Kisia is my spirit animal.

Daimler-Benz: There's spilling blood and dragging an inflatable kiddy pool around with you to drain your enemies' jugulars into so that you might be able to swim in it

Devee: Kisian children's ideas of games are using worn out artillery pieces left around from constant clan warfare to play ‘lob unexploded ordnance at the neighbour kids’

Fuvuni
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 09, 2010
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Fuvuni » Sun Dec 30, 2018 7:34 pm

Weapons Testing Range #36, Kusachei
Yeisho-ju, Asankari Star Republic, Kisian League

The dry, cracked ground of the impromptu firing range was littered with thousands of pieces of scrap metal, burnt plastic, and the occasional pile of melted rubber fused with ash, an ephemeral testament to those assistants who had not heeded the warnings of the self-proclaimed ruler of the test site, one Doctor Rusknirri Yarkyx of Fennesraum, the chief scientist on loan to the Kisian League as part of the joint research initiative. The aforementioned fuvuni attempted to stand tall atop a nearby rock, her four foot, six inch frame failing absolutely at that task, the only thing visible as a group of heavily armored, hazmat-suit wearing kisians bustled about under her orders being her grey, green-tipped ears. And only those because the energetic vulpine alien was jumping up and down, her heavily accented Kisian squeaking every few seconds as she directed the research assistants to and fro until everything was to her satisfaction.

Finally with a dissonant whistle, all of the assisting kisians scattered to the four winds save one wearing a hazmat armored suit in bright orange, with a lieutenant’s ranking on his shoulders. He gave the doctor a thumbs up, his verbal response completely muffled by the various layers of headgear and filtering systems that were built into his helmet, as he stood by Prototype #6 of their attempts to build the Type-244 Directed Plutonium Particle Beam Cannon for the hybrid tank design.

Doctor Yarkyx stepped down off of her rock in order to go inspect the device, so that any errors today were the result of the design, and not installation-error. Her golden eyes looked out over a specialized rebreather fitted over her muzzle as she padded over to the weapon, idly brushing stray bits of gray fur off of her uniform jumpsuit.

It was a bulky thing, in its current state, still not yet miniaturized enough for deployment. The rings around the barrel, the gravitic accelerators, were still too large, too easy to spot from a distance with an anti-tank rifle. The fission generator that was currently powering the turret mechanism and the accelerators was also above weight and size for the kisian requirements, given their needs to be in specialized radiation-absorbing rubber suits in order to operate the device. Thankfully the criticality chamber of the neutron gun from hell was finally up to spec, the neutron-reflecting alloys finally at an acceptable thickness where supercritical events wouldn’t flash-fry the operators when it was put into a tank, yet light enough that it didn’t contribute overmuch to the overall weight of the weapon.

Her inspection complete, Rusknirri nodded to herself, deciding that the installation was adequate. Now it was time to do a power diagnostic. With a wave of her hand, the orange-clad lieutenant saluted and marched to the fission generator, following the extremely precise startup procedure for the miniature nuclear plant, the instructions of which he was currently reading as if they were proclamations from First Premier Taisvan himself. Probably a good thing, considering the last assistant who made a mistake in the startup procedure caused a minor meltdown that shut down range #25 for six months while the fennesraumian and kisian clean-up crews were busy trying to contain it and reclaim the materials.

Another salute from the lieutenant whose name she had not bothered to memorize indicated that the fission generator was online, and power was now flowing down the arm-thick cables and into the capacitors which charged the accelerator rings. A nod from her and the kisian hefted up the nuclear pit of the criticality chamber and inserted into the rear of the gun, closing and locking the hatch until the wheel was locked all the way to the right and the breech was completely sealed.

“Reading capacitors as charged, breech as sealed, and fission plant functioning at nominal capacity. Lieutenant, aim the cannon at target four, range four hundred meters.”

Another salute, and the turret began tracking, swiveling on its mount and pulling up slightly as the kisian dialed in the range, the capacitors dumping their energy into the accelerator rings, causing them to light up in a clockwise motion around the barrel.

“Fire.”

The lieutenant pulled the trigger, really a mechanism for releasing the pent up neutrons currently swirling around the dangerous nuclear core within the breech of the cannon, and a bright blue light could be seen emanating from microscopic fissures between the hatch and the chamber, a sign that the seal was imperfect. A moment later, the muzzle also began to glow, the end glowing blue from the radiation, the barrel itself glowing a light red from the heat. Then the accelerator rings pulsed, going completely dark as a bright blue beam issued form from the gun and impacted the target at incredible speeds.

The target, a mock-up of an old Imperial Kisian-era troop transport, briefly glowed a much brighter red before a great, gaping hole was torn in the center by the beam to the sound of thunder. Unfortunately for both the lieutenant and the good doctor, the loud noise was not entirely the sound of the particle beam hitting the target, but also one of the four accelerator rings exploding from overcharge and the barrel partially melting.

Thankfully, the safety cut-off activated properly this time, and the criticality chamber was closed without any further incidents, the only damage to the device itself being to the barrel and the gravitic manipulator rings.

Rusknirri bit back a curse, her boots kicking up dust as she walked over to the poor kisian research assistant, pulling him back up to his feet so he wasn’t stuck on the ground like an upended turtle waving his limbs around. She whistled three discordant tones through her rebreather, and a group of kisians wearing red hazmat suits sprayed down the entire gun, fission plant and all, with non-reactive coolant. Idly she leaned down, picking up a piece of once-molten slag and slipping it into her pocket before she stood up again.

“Well. Two of the accelerator rings are salvageable, the criticality chamber and fission generator are fine. Better than the last four tests. I shall go work on the alloys for the barrel once more, and perhaps a new blueprint, with more accelerators.”

As the kisians assigned to help her snapped to attention and moved to disassemble the half-melted slag that was the sixth prototype, Rusknirri stomped back to the prefab bunker that was her current ‘office’ at the moment, her tail flicking about in annoyance as she slipped inside the dark, half-buried set of repurposed shipping containers. She found herself staring at a wall of physical blueprints covered in notes, fingering the slag in her pocket as she began to mumble and mutter to herself, her eyes briefly glazing over as the skin of her palm touched the still-warm chunk of metal.

“Heat tolerance on the rings needs to be increased, perhaps a different alloy… No. The current alloy works, different layout. Perhaps a lattice? It needs better heat dispersal, otherwise functions well within parameters… Heat needs to be mitigated within the barrel more, would mitigate issues with the rings. Definitely needs an alloy change, fractures began to form before the heat began to melt the chamber. Very dangerous…”

Her eyes refocused and she growled to herself, heading to her workstation and sweeping all of its contents onto the floor as she put on her anti-smudge gloves and grabbed a pen, and got to work, her mutterings continuing for several hours as she began to refine Prototype #7 in order to send it off to those in charge of manufacturing her experimental weapon systems.

Her minders and assistants knew better than to interrupt her while she was focused, the only interruptions as she furiously scribbled, carving new lines into the table, being the orange-clad lieutenant from before, briefly waddling in and leaving a tray of tea, dried fruits, and smoked fish before excusing himself once more, not to be seen until the next mealtime. During a few brief moments of lucidity, Doctor Yarkyx even allowed herself a few bites of food while chugging down the tea before resuming her work.

Finally, six hours later, it was finished, and Rusknirri collapsed at the table, asleep, most of her dinner untouched, and the unnamed lieutenant walked in once more, gingerly sliding the blueprint out from underneath the exhausted fuvuni in order to pass it up the chain to the fabrication engineers.

Haideng shook his head underneath the full-body radiation suit he was forced to wear around the weapon testing site. Wrangling the alien scientist was almost as bad as trying to manage some of the workaholics he knew back home. Although at least the doctor could actually be pried away from her work in order to eat on occasion before working herself to exhaustion.

And, the kisian thought to himself, sending technology samples to the Home Office is significantly easier to do when she works herself unconscious.

While the ‘ion rifles’ were effective in their own way, the alien crystal’s energies boiling flesh such that targets appeared to explode from the inside out, they were a touch too grotesque in how they functioned, being the larval form of some rock-alien from the Concordat attached to a rifle stock. Still, the crystals themselves could be useful in creating better laser lenses and capacitors, and having a few boxes shipped to a separate testing facility was trivial. He half suspected that it was intentional on the Concordat's part, though the whys behind it were as yet beyond him.

His secondary objective in plumbing the depths of Doctor Yarkyx’s mind, on the other hand, left much more to be desired. The small fuvuni woman bounced around from project to project, her notes only half-legible, often referencing concepts beyond him, or seemingly unrelated to the topic of the notes themselves. He half-suspected that the good doctor was more than a little mad, with the way she seemed to intuit problems in her prototypes simply by laying her ears on them for a moment while muttering to herself and tapping them.

It was cause for worry to the Home Office, as they desired to know her ultimate motivations in order to better predict her, should the unthinkable occur and the Concordat and the League went to war. Knowing the mind of one of their great thinkers would allow for a small manner of predicting possible weapons that could be developed during the conflict.

The kisian sighed to himself as he reached his tent, rummaging through his belongings in the lead case assigned to him, pulling out his bulky personal computer. He wouldn’t be sending back a report just yet, so there was no need to attach the communicator module, but there was still some information he needed to add from today’s test.

It was a lengthy process, booting up the computer in the secure mode, rather than the one that he used as a ‘lab assistant’. Three of the language-dials had to be turned to a precise setting to first activate the secure operating system, and then turned to another before said operating system was in any way legible to any dialect of kisian, and the power-on sequence was likewise significantly different. It was, in ways, more of a physical combination lock than anything else, with encryption relying heavily on the myriad dialects and sub-languages of Kastia and its colonies. As a distinct bonus, he could very easily render everything he was typing completely illegible to any living kisian with the flick of a button, which made it rather easy to compile reports in public.

Even on the off-chance the individual wasn’t familiar with the faux-dialect that would result from the collision of two obscure, dead versions of the language, they weren’t likely to make a fuss and simply assume it was some dialect from a rural area they were unfamiliar with.

A foreigner attempting to decipher it would simply be bashing their heads against a wall of linguistic complexity.

The sound of rushing feet and metal groaning against metal forced Haideng to look up from his work, seeing that his superior in name, if not in spirit, was once again awake, leaving a trail of spent energy supplement drinks behind her as she once again barked orders at the various menials who were assigned to the testing area. At best she might have gotten four hours of rest. Not enough time for a proper recharge, but just enough for the first productions of her new engineering requests to be done and ready.

He didn’t want to say she got any sleep as he was quite certain she would still wake up in fits and bursts, taking notes while half-awake.

At this rate he was going to have to slip sedatives into her food in order to keep her from literally working herself to death. He wondered what could give her such a drive, that she cared so little about her own safety, as his eyes followed her as she set up the newest iteration of the weapon she had been working on. This would be number seven, if he recalled rightly.

She seemed even more demanding and on-edge than usual, though that could be the lack of sleep.

His eyes watched as she, with practiced motions now, began directing the assembly of Prototype #7, the new barrel slotting into place along with all of the other new parts. He noted with some curiosity the accelerator rings had been changed slightly, flatter, but wider now. Not at the numbers she had requested in the changes to the blueprints, but from what he recalled she was going to be testing the design itself on how it handled heat, first, before adding more to compensate. Miniaturizing the design to the specs desired would take some manner of time, as well.

He very quickly had to take his eyes off her and the other lieutenant assigned to her, however, when the corner of his eyes caught the fluttering of the cape of the customized radiation-suit of the Deputy Commander, and shortly after that, the specially marked suit of the Director himself. Twitch-worthy fashion choices of the veteran aside, it meant that Haideng had to very quickly switch his computer over to its normal operation mode and look busy working on reports to the Director, rather than the Home Office. One as old as he might just be able to decipher what he was typing, regardless of linguistic encryption. Always better to be safe rather than sorry, after all.

As he was leaning over the bulky machine, twisting dials and properly setting it to civilian mode in a manner that most definitely was not percussive maintenance, his eyes caught another flash of movement.

Doctor Rusknirri Yarkyx, one of the most ruthlessly work-minded individuals he had ever had the pleasure to work for, was smiling. More than that, her tail was moving from side to side. It was like one of those human 'dogs' would do, zipping back and forth along with the fuvuni, as she began to very animatedly explain the processes of the prototype weapon system to the Director and Deputy Commander.

The only time he could ever recall the doctor being so excited about anyone was when a Vipran dignitary had visited, inquiring on some of the developments. In fact, the way she was looking at the old war veteran was very similar to the exuberant adoration the atoran had received.

The young kisian stopped as the final thought crossed his head, before he looked once more at the fuvuni, then to Heikoru, then back again.

No.

It couldn't be that simple, could it?
[14:01] Vipra invades Feaz and uses his women to bring fertility to the crops, and men to bring fertility to the people
[14:04] Vipra : Also, invading Feaz would make me sad
[14:05] Vipra: because he has a gender skew
[14:05] Vipra: which means that there aren't as many women to flay and turn into wineskins ; - ;
[14:07] Sifus is pretty sure that if he sigs that, it would apply to every nation Vipra has ever made.
[14:07] Vipra: lol

"I want to live in a galaxy where the Fuvs are a majority species." - Auman

"Fuvs are weird. Doomguy but like a million of him and they're all fennecs." - Arkiv

Most loyal vassal of Vipra

Kisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kisia » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:50 am

Directors Office

Meitado always had a slight discomfort dealing with his superiors. They were fine individuals, just- a tad too zealous in their devotion to Xikanra, Celestial Forgemaster. Dogma proclaimed he was one of the children of the Heavenly Emperor, crafted from the strongest metals, with a steel facemask with an unchanging expression.

Many in the Manufactory had taken the devotion of their patron god to a cult like status- simply called the Cult Xikanra, which had only gained traction in the past years, to where many had shed the “flesh of weakness” in favor of the “strength of steel”. The cult following was particularly strong amongst the leadership, to the point where the line between “corporate entity” and “religious organization” had been blurred to the point where the Hand of Xikanra was essentially one and the same- a company and religious following of sorts, devoted to one of the many major gods of the Kisians.

Directors were generally expected to begin undergoing the process of ‘Illumination’, the total conversion from man to cyborg; though Meitado had held off for some time. Increasingly, he wondered if he ever would- perhaps for promotional reasons, as the entire senior leadership of the company was more steel than flesh, if he ever wished to ascend any higher in the company hierarchy, he’d need to eventually join the ranks of the Illuminated.

Meitado was snapped out of his thoughts by a buzzing and the sudden activation of a holographic projector. A hooded figure came into focus. Nothing was visible, save the three softly pulsing red eyes arranged in a triangular pattern in the upper center of the hood. Meitado made the Sigil of the Forge, balling his left hand into a fist, his right hand extending vertically, then placing his right hand over his left in the center of his chest.

Hēshachuo. Kuimata i Xikanra, ketabujo.” Meitado said, saying the words in a rhythmic, trance-like motion.

Kuimata i Xikanra, yekechenjo.” The hooded figure replied in a deep augmented voice. Meitado bowed and tapped a button on a wrist device he was wearing. He jerked slightly and continued to speak- though now he spoke in the enlightened tongue of the Illuminated, a mixture of technical terms, scientific jargon, and pure machine code. The esoteric ‘language’ wasn’t designed for non-Manufactory individuals to hear, nonetheless understand.

“Update requested, assembly of weapons.” the hooded figure continued.

“Optimal. Weaponcraft is proceeding at acceptable paces, full completion of weapons is expected within the next several cycles.”

“Elation. Update requested, weaponcraft of Fennesraum outsiders.”

“Presumed acceptable, personal assessment will be done within the next quarter-cycle. Detailed report following assessment.”

“Satisfactory. Update expected within next five full cycles. Termination of transmission.”

Kuimata i Xikanra.” Meitado replied once more, making the same sigil again.

Sometime later
en route to Kusachei

Meitado had forgotten to inform the Deputy Commander that augmented members would be accompany them on the trip to observe the field tests of the Fennesraum weapons. He barely suppressed a grin as the aged military officer had a look of abject confusion and horror at some of his compatriots, dressed in robe-like garments, with cords and hoses arranged in patterns all over their bodies in a combination of flesh and steel. Some were even so far augmented that parts of their face had been replaced with polished metal and presumably photoreceptors for eyes, a gentle red pulse emanating from them. The Deputy Commander seemed particularly offput by his chief engineer, whose “legs” were actually a combination of metallic-tentacle like devices with grasping elements. The Chief Engineer looked back at Heikoru. If he had any sort of emotion, it was impossible to tell.

“I am sensing you are distraught Deputy Commander. Are you feeling an onset of shuttle sickness? It is advised that individuals suffering from-” the cyborg started, before Heikoru interrupted him.

“N-no. When do we land? I’m eager to see the other weapons, that’s all.”

“We will make landfall within one half-cycle.”

“In layman's terms, please.” Heikoru replied, slightly agitated.

“A less accurate approximation would be twenty-five minutes.”

“Thank you.” Heikoru said, catching himself before he muttered a curse- he was sure most of the damned clanks in the room would hear him anyways. It was silent for a moment, then the chief engineer started barking in some ungodly gibberish that sounded like numbers and static, with the faintest trace of actual words. He shot a death glare at Meitado, who simply shrugged and pressed a button on his wrist device- then began speaking in the same damnable tone as the rest of them.

“Heaven preserve me, I don’t know where I am anymore…” Heikoru thought.

“I detect slight animosity from the Deputy Commander. Is he okay, Director?” the Chief Engineer spoke.

“He is unaccustomed to being around augmented, like many others.” Meitado replied.

“The ignorant fear the more perfect form.” another augmented officer chimed in.

“Annoyance. Enough. We have a job to do. While touring the Fennesraum facility, you are to catalogue items and devices of interest for further analyzation.” Meitado stated

“To acquire knowledge for the good of Kisians.” the Chief Engineer stated.

“Yes, and to further advance our technology beyond the Imperium and their mystical Vishyari.” someone else chimed in.

“Indeed.” Meitado replied.

“Elation. We will surpass them in time.”

Weapons Testing Range #36, Kusachei

The rest of the trip was uneventful, and eventually the group landed at the surface-side facility that the Fuvuni were using to test their weapons. Kusachei was a dead world, it’s surface was highly radioactive. It made an excellent place to source material for the weapons, as well as being the natural habitat of the small fennec weaponsmiths.

Unfortunately for the Kisians, they had no such immunity to the lethal amounts of radiation on this world, hence Meitado and Heikoru arrived in heavy powered radsuits. Meitado’s was in a dark purple and white color, with stylistic markings of the Cult Xikanra adorning it. This contrasted with Heikoru’s, which was in an olive drab color- even with a matching half-cloak like his usual uniform had. Four diamonds adorned the upper right breastplate, as well as another four running vertically down the top of the helmet.

The Chief Engineer was essentially a heavily armor plated robot, and continued as is. Heikoru now wished the rest of them were like him, considering how they were ‘visiting’. The other individuals had chosen a…. less orthodox method. While they were all sure their half-steel bodies could withstand some exposure to radiation, it was considered best not to take the chance.

Their bodies had been placed into cold storage on the lander, while their heads “detached” from the rest of them, wearing heavily plated face-masks in the unerring visage of Xikanra. The rest of their heads were also covered in reinforced plating. Adding to the oddity was a tracked robot of sorts, carrying a large armored tank, which contained vital nutrients for the detached heads to nourish their brains with, in the absence of being attached to their bodies proper. A few of them flitted around in the general presence of the nutrient tank, while others were more content to stay attached to the various ports on the tank and let the robot do the “heavy lifting” as it were.

The collection of men, cyborgs, and armored flying heads made their way to the actual testing range, the latter two talking in deep pitched binary screaming the entire way. Meitado simply reassured Heikoru that it’d be over soon, while Heikoru himself deactivated his actual external speaker and yelled curses, a slight audible muffle coming from the heavily plated suit. Eventually, they saw Doctor Rusknirri herself, the two walking over to her; the Chief Engineer excused himself to talk with who appeared to be the senior kisian working alongside the fuvuni, and the heads all at once detached themselves and flew from the nutrient robot, flying around the facility screeching in their esoteric language observing and scanning everything.

“Please, excuse my more technical colleagues. They’re very interested to see what has developed in the past few months of our shared development program.” Meitado said, an awkward chuckle escaping him. He gestured to Heikoru.

“This is Deputy Commander Keisage Heikoru of the Asankirian State Army. He’s the primary interest in this project. The Deputy Commander wishes to form a new military unit for the League, hence his interest in how everything is proceeding.” Meitado stated.

“The honor is mine.” Heikoru said, doing a brief bow of his head- as best he could in the armored suit. “As the Director has stated, I’ve come to see developments and trials of the various weapons we’ve created as a result of this partnership. My superiors are eager to see if this adventure has born fruit- as am I. With these weapons a new elite unit of warriors will be formed, ready to defend the League from all aggressors.” Heikoru continued, slightly unnerved at what was going on behind him. The chief engineer skittered over to the trio.

“We are pleased to be here, will the testing be commencing soon?” He said, a hint of what could actually be described as anticipation in his voice.

“Perhaps it would be best to begin the demonstrations.” Meitado said, doing a brief bow to Rusknirri.
Member of TSAR

Kisian Newsthread

Daimler-Benz: There's spilling blood and dragging an inflatable kiddy pool around with you to drain your enemies' jugulars into so that you might be able to swim in it

Devee: Kisian children's ideas of games are using worn out artillery pieces left around from constant clan warfare to play ‘lob unexploded ordnance at the neighbour kids’

Fuvuni
Lobbyist

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Fuvuni » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:18 pm

((OOC: Sorry for being slower than frozen molasses.))

Haideng has seriously miscalculated in the actions he had taken while the Doctor was asleep.
Not ensuring that the good doctor was kept from collapsing entirely due to her proclivity to choose work over food, but rather, that he had hidden a certain item from her.

Within Kisian society, there were certain traditional methods of courting between those of high standing that were considered tasteful, but were as subtle as a thermonuclear detonation. One of those being a female seeking a mate would wear a sheath without a dagger or sword, advertising that she wanted to bind her clan to another’s. The sheaths (and partnered daggers) tended to be highly elaborate, often embellished with depictions of family or personal honors.

At first he wasn’t sure why Doctor Rusknirri even had one in her workshop, and had reported it as lost to the proper authorities, so that they could identify the markings to see who it belonged to.

He later found out that this resulted in it not being available when the eccentric fuvuni was getting dressed for the weapon tests, and his guilty and horrified expression at realizing that she was attempting to court the Deputy Commander lead to her realizing who had ‘misplaced’ it in the first place.

He was now, most certainly regretting this.

Intensely.

He was currently being wrapped up in a second layer of protective garments over the top of his radsuit, the other assisting kisians refusing to look a soon-to-be-dead-man in the eyes while the fuvuni researcher was pontificating at the kisian sponsors of the project, turning her eyes every few moments to glare at him. She even used his name earlier.

She never learns any of the assistants’ names. The only time she speaks them are in the moments briefly before they test a weapon design, her small, vulpine hands holding onto their radsuits for a few moments before she backs away, waiting to see if the test would be successful, or if she would have to order the test-site cleaned of a lab-tech’s remains again.

He supposed that at the very least she learns the names of those she sends to die, but that still didn’t change the fact that he was being ordered to test fire the infantry-rated Vkuznikakrit sprayer, the so-called ‘OrangeClean All-Purpose Organic Sanitizer’. It had taken three months and twice as many researchers’ lives to finally find a meta-material that would be flexible enough to attach the sprayers to an arm-mounted system using a back-pack mounted chemical tank. Nothing organic derived, synthetic or otherwise, would work. It would react to and melt it.

And now he was performing the very first test with the new meta-material hoses. He didn’t even know what they were made of, really, as he was normally assigned to working on the nuclear projects, rather than any of the more esoteric weapon systems.

“Haideng, if you would please.”

The kisian turned his head over to Rusknirri, the small vulpine looking at him with bared teeth as the test mount was rolled out from a warehouse and a very unfortunate terran hog was dragged to the target area, being placed inside an aluminized hazard fabric that was sized for it previously. According to the brief safety report he was forced to read before the test, apparently they had considered using some process to coat organic hoses in metals in order to safely pipe the chemical to the sprayers, but the results were less than satisfactory in the endurance department for how long the materials would remain coated whilst under fire.

His heavily covered right arm was placed inside of the mounted glove as two more pigs were brought out onto the target area, Haideng muttering a half-silent prayer to himself before turning on the activator switch to the arm, feeling the glove constrict slightly around his hand as its internal components molded to best fit him. He brought up the glove, aimed it at the first pig, and then depressed the firing button located on the inside of the glove itself.

Orange, citrus-smelling liquid streamed out of the nozzle attached to the top of the gauntlet, jetting out to cover the three targets. The first pig, covered in the modified haz-mat suit, was fine at first, but the second and third pigs started to squeal immediately.

The ‘control’ pig, wearing no armor or coverings whatsoever, died within minutes, the chemical hissing and spitting as it made contact with the creature, pooling and sinking through it until it was bisected, the edges slowly being eaten away by trace amounts of the chemical still attached to them.

The third pig, wearing armor made out of riot-kit, was unaffected at first, merely trying to get away from the control pig’s corpse for a few moments before the chemical melted through all of the non-metal, non-ceramic portions of the armor. Haideng had coated this one almost entirely rather than streaming across it with one pass, and slowly the pig’s struggles ceased as it slumped to the ground, until all that remained to state that a living thing had been there were a puddle of orange goo and several metal and ceramic plates.

The first pig was completely fine up until its panic at the deaths of the other two caused it to tear the hazmat suit, at which point the chemical seeped through the tear, eating away at the material from the inside now that the aluminum coating was broken, and into one of the pig’s legs, effectively dismembering it within seconds of the breach occurring.

Its squeals were silenced when another technician put it out of its misery with a single shot from his sidearm.

“As you can see, Director, Deputy Commander, the chemical is extremely effective against organic targets, and any compounds utilizing organic molecules, even synthetic ones. This has resulted in some difficulty in meeting your desires for a man-portable deployment system, but as has been shown, we have fixed that particular issue with the Kisian-held chemical sprayer.”

Haideng let out a sigh of relief as he was extricated from the mounted gauntlet and a fuvuni who he didn’t recognize came by and sprayed the inside of the nozzle and the entire target zone with a viscous, clear fluid, the chemical weapon breaking down into harmless byproducts wherever it touched.

“And the deactivation chemical is relatively easy to deploy in comparison, although the aerosol deployment system we are testing on the opposite side of the planet would be considerably difficult to deactivate, if only due to the large dispersal area. We expect the cleanup from the mock city testing of the aerosol weapon to take roughly three months, with trace amounts of the chemical making the mock city unsafe for children or small animals for significantly longer, but such is the case with all aerosol chemical weapons, from my understanding.”

The grey-furred, golden-eyed alien turned to look at him after her explanation, a single ear flicking once in his direction as the target range was prepared for another test, and he stepped away from the mounting platform, trying to not let too much relief show in his body as he headed back to his computer to begin filing reports again, the fuvuni marching over to Prototype #7.

This time a demilitarized Imperial-era troop transport was towed out to the firing range as Rusknirri began going through the startup sequence for the fission generator, mumbling out safety regulations to herself as she monitored the charging of the capacitors for the accelerator rings, all done seemingly from memory alone as her assistants for this test scrambled to keep up with her. Once more a nuclear pit was loaded into the rear of the gun, the hatch secured tightly, and all assistants moved away from the device.

“Reading capacitors as charged, breech as sealed, and fission plant functioning at nominal capacity. Aiming the cannon at primary target, range four hundred meters.”

She stopped, her breath rattling for a moment through her rebreather.

“Firing.”

This time the only glow emitting from the weapon came from the barrel and the accelerator rings, the new rings glowing a dark blue as the barrel heated up to a dull red, an ominous glow coming from the end. Then, once more, the sound of thunder as a bright blue beam tore its way out of the device and into the target. The destruction was perhaps even greater than the previous test, as while demilitarized, some ammunition was left in magazine compartments in order to provide more realistic testing.

The entire back half of the troop transport erupted in flames, and the front half was still a dull red by the time the fuvuni had finished with the reactor stepdown procedures.

“As demonstrated, the Type-244 Directed Plutonium Particle Beam Cannon offers a significant advantage to a mobile force that, while having significant mass, one effectively has infinite ‘ammunition’ for any reasonable combat deployment, and allows one to confidently engage infantry and armored targets with impunity. While the design is not yet perfected for infantry use, the current model can be easily mounted onto any compatible vehicle, and the designs itself, while initially difficult to miniaturize, are much, much easier to scale upwards.”

She turned a feral grin to the Deputy Commander, ignoring the kisians who were cooling down the prototype with non-reactive sprayers so they could disassemble it to inspect any internal stresses.

“And given the device utilizes neutrons, rather than charged particles, it could provide an effective short and medium ranged weapon even for space vessels, with less power consumption given the lack of a laser required to create a vacuum channel. I suspect that, provided with a large enough power source, enough accelerator rings, and a large enough deployment platform, one could even reasonably engage targets in low or medium orbits from a ground-based platform using this design.”

Her ears flicked once before she bowed slightly, her body becoming slightly rigid as she squeaked out her next words.

“Unfortunately we suspect it may take several months before we can sufficiently miniaturize the unit entirely for infantry use, but the criticality chamber has been miniaturized according to the Kisian League’s requirements while still meeting safety requirements. If you would follow me we shall demonstrate the final, and most developed weapon we have been building.”

The eccentric fennesraumian doctor continued even as the next firing range was prepared, fuvuni and kisian alike buzzing about and setting up several heavily modified fuvuni tankettes at different ranges to be sacrificed as targets.

“As you have likely already been shown, the Type 242 Rail-Rifle is a success, however issues with barrel cooling and weight mean that its current iteration is mostly delegated to being used as a Marksman Rifle. We have developed a variant fully capable of automatic fire, for use as a squad support weapon, through the use of alloys in the barrel similar to that of the Particle Cannon. The barrel heats up slower, and with improvements to the accelerator rings we’ve managed to cut down the weight some. Not as much as we’d like, but enough that a Kisian can lift it unassisted and a fuvuni can operate it whilst using powered armor or on a swivel-mount for an emplacement.”

Another fuvuni with cropped ears gave a quick salute to the Deputy Commander, Rusknirri, and the Director, attaching the battery packs to the demonstration weapon and inserting the belts of ammunition, swiveling it to point downrange as he awaited the signal to fire.

“The Type 242/2 Heavy Repeating Uranium Rail-Rifle can be belt-fed or utilize a thirty round box magazine, or a one hundred round drum magazine, and is capable of both automatic and semi-automatic fire. While the balance of the Type 242/2 means that even in semi-automatic mode its accuracy will not approach that of the original design, it will nonetheless be useful in a squad support role or in urban combat.”

At the first wave of her hand, several technicians with large, boxy contraptions spread out before them that Haideng vaguely recognized as computers with transceivers attached leaned forward, and suddenly the tankettes on the target range began to move.

The small vehicles, Bystriza if he remembered correctly, sped around the target range, steadily increasing speed as the ad-hoc drones started zipping at roughly eighty miles per hour, kicking up dust clouds in their wake.

“You may fire.”

The accelerator rings glowed bright and then the end of the barrel began to glow as round after round sped downrange, the fuvuni firing a few test shots in semi-automatic mode to get a feel for the weapon, before the assistant’s thumb flipped the firing mode to automatic and let loose. The tempo of noise rose as the vulpine alien’s hands gripped the rifle, sweeping it left and right. Haideng heard one of the drone operators let loose a sling of curses and saw one of the tankettes sputter to a stop, holes perforating it throughout. A second drifted too close to the first and had its treads completely removed as the rifle swept away from the first target.

The third evaded for a few minutes longer until the fuvuni, perhaps with a stroke of luck, managed to finally put a round through its engine block after its operator began pushing the small vehicle to its limit trying to avoid its destruction.

“Enough.”

With a single word, the weapon-operator began safetying and partially disassembling the weapon, removing its ammo feed and batteries.

“Due to the dense metals of the rounds and the speed with which they leave the barrel, the Type 242/2 is comparable to weapons found on light vehicles, such as the very tankettes which were serving as targets today, and weapons usually reserved for power armored troopers. There are a few minor hiccups to beat out, but the weapon is more or less ready for general production as most if it can be fixed on-site by maintenance technicians, rather than as a general design issue. If there are any other questions?”

Haideng closed his eyes for a moment, then turned back to his laptop as the chatter of the doctor and the two kisians began to go over what he already knew, the kisian operative slowly switching his computer back to its original configuration in order to type up reports to the Home Office once he was sure that the older kisian would not be able to look over his shoulder. He only looked up once, when he heard someone stumble, and saw the fuvuni doctor staring for a moment at the unsheathed courtship dagger of Deputy Commander Keisage Heikoru hanging off of his belt.

No, no, that wasn’t real, I didn’t see that. I’m not in one of my cousin’s stupid romance games.

He closed his eyes again, shaking his head, before looking up once more. The doctor had managed to right herself, playing it off as a lack of sleep, which, to be fair, she hadn’t been getting very much lately. The dagger was still hanging off of Heikoru’s belt.

The longer I live, the more I hate my life.

Haideng sighed, and tried to bury himself in his work.
Last edited by Fuvuni on Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[14:01] Vipra invades Feaz and uses his women to bring fertility to the crops, and men to bring fertility to the people
[14:05] Vipra: which means that there aren't as many women to flay and turn into wineskins ; - ;
[14:07] Sifus is pretty sure that if he sigs that, it would apply to every nation Vipra has ever made.

"Fuvs are weird. Doomguy but like a million of him and they're all fennecs." - Arkiv

Kisia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Kisia » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:21 pm

Though it was impossible to tell through the armored suit, Heikoru was- for the first time since he’d arrived in this place, genuinely ecstatic. Perhaps he had underestimated the diminutive Fuvuni. It appeared they too, could be masterful crafters of weapons, something he could appreciate. A relaxed sigh escaped him, as he observed the destruction before him, and nodded succinctly as Doctor Rusknirri explained the various ins and outs of the weaponry. He found the good doctor surprisingly easy to listen to, less irritating than his more technical compatriot, or the increasingly erratic and maniacal half-Kisian cyborg heads acting no better than young children on the playground.

“Nay, the weapon demonstration was enough, Doctor Rusknirri. I will admit, I was...uncertain of what to expect, when our respective nations approved this venture, but the results have been very fruitful thus far. Indeed, any minor issues can be beaten out during the first production runs.” Heikoru replied, looking down at the grey-furred Fuvuni. “I’m certain they’ll find any lingering issues.” he went on, harshly cutting his eyes to the floating Manufactorum heads, babbling once more in their screeching speech.

He heard a stumble, and looked back to see the doctor righting herself, claiming it was due to a lack of sleep, though he could’ve sworn for the slightest second she had seen her staring at the courtship dagger hanging off his utility belt. As if wanting to be a part of the conversation, the dagger fell through the loose hole it was attached to, and landed on the ground with a soft thud.

Meitado looked. “You dropped yo-”

“Yes. I know. I’m not deaf, despite what you may think.” Heikoru retorted. “My apologies doctor, it’s an old thing this, eighteen generations if I recall correctly. Oftentimes I put it on without thinking, force of habit.”

Reaching down to pick up the elaborate weapon. His family crest was on it, and the actual weapon itself was adorned with elegant calligraphy dancing up and down the actual blade itself, inlaid with a reddish metal against the highly polished steel. He grasped it, picking it back up.

“They don't make weapons in this particular style anymore. It’s a late Imperial piece, and weaponsmiths during the heady years of the First Republic were eager to experiment and create new styles of crafting not explored or discouraged under the Empire. Ironically, now there’s a surge of people eager to get their hands on these style weapons.” He went over the weapon in his hand, before pausing.

“Would you care to look at it closer? I’m not sure if the Director has very much artistic merit in his weapon philosophies, so such a thing would be wasted on him, but I presume you can appreciate fine craftsmanship.”

Meitado scoffed. “You say that, but which one of us actually made all these prototypes?” As he said that, there was a ringing on his wrist communicator. “My apologies. I need to take this, I’ll see you back on the shuttle, Deputy Commander?” Heikoru made an affirmative grunt, to which Meitado gave a quick salute. “A pleasure as always Doctor; we can finalize transfer of the prototypes later.” With that, he walked off. In the background, the various Manufactory agents had apparently been satisfied as well, and appeared to be hovering back towards the dropship, presumably pleased with the demonstrations today.
Member of TSAR

Kisian Newsthread

Fuvuni
Lobbyist

Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Fuvuni » Thu Nov 11, 2021 5:59 pm

(OOC: Tried posting this three times and it kept posting with a different account what even.)

Haideng quietly congratulated himself in not dropping his extremely expensive cryptographic laptop when the Deputy Commander outright handed the mad doctor his courtship dagger, praying to every god he could remember that the fuvuni, for once in her life, would perhaps show restraint and not simply run off to slam it home into the ceremonial sheath she had built to be its counterpart, for reasons romantic that the double agent was desperately attempting to scrub from his long-term memory with much more palateable thoughts, such as his own impending demise should he damage his state-owned equipment. Nevermind that his life would surely become a soap opera of the most sordid sort should any of the doctor's courting attempts actually succeed.

He watched with growing dread as the grey furred vulpine takes the weapon gingerly, removing one of her gloves as she runs her fingers lightly over the calligraphy, her eyes glazing over slightly as she mutters to herself. To his surprise it sounded like she was reciting one of those archaic poems that the old nobles would hang up on tapestries in their homes. This one about a woman who chooses to honor the memory of her husband, who died in battle, by refusing to remarry or take any lovers before her death of old age. It took a moment before he realized that she was reciting the poem inscribed on the sword. When he realized it was in the exact dialect it would've been spoken at the age of its forging, he had to suppress a shudder, then slight confusion as he watched another fuvuni approach with almost casual slowness, grabbing Doctor Yarkyx's ungloved hand and tugged it away from the weapon, the glaze in her eyes lifting as she quickly put her gloves back on, neither acknowledging what had happened nor the other fuvuni in the slightest.

The spell seemingly lifted, the kisian intelligence officer's nominal employer went back to inspecting the weapon, lifting it up by the blade with two fingers to test its balance before handing it back to Heikoru hilt-first.

"A fine blade. A work of art and function, its balance and weight as a bringer of death unmarred by its aesthetics. One wonders if the blade was inspired by the poem, or if it was merely the favorite of the smith's."

What the Home Office agent heard, and hoped the kisian veteran did not, was the vulpine alien's almost subvocal mutterings about 'inadequate dimensions, new design required', because of course the mad doctor was going to want it to be a perfect fit for the marriage sheath. He took a deep breath to settle himself while desperately attempting to ignore the animated conversation between the two on the merits of different smelting and cooling techniques for sword production, instead moving to acquire a decent seat on the shuttle before they moved to another testing site. Preferably a seat away from the cybernetic affronts to nature that still hadn't ceased their techno-jabbering since arrival. Having to listen to it while cooped up inside of the shuttle might very well drive Haideng insane, and attempting to beat one of them to death with his laptop's case might cause more than a little damage to his career prospects.

It wasn't long before he was resting his suited head against one of the supports on the shuttle's crash seats, resting his eyes and letting the various conversations and arguments roll over him, the stress from enduring Doctor Yarkyx's brief foray into homicidal rage leaving him in a nap as short as it was uncomfortable, one of the other lab-techs shaking his shoulder on her way out as everyone disembarked into one of the underground bunkers the fuvuni had constructed on the planet, the subterranean entrance closing above them as they were all lead into a radiological 'clean room', designed to aggressively sanitize and cleanse their suits before removal, the process moving them into six more rooms as they were swept and inspected for bugs, hazardous biological compounds, or other more esoteric intelligence gathering and sabotage devices before being allowed to redress themselves into clothing and uniforms fabricated to specifications sent days beforehand.

And all this capped by a medical inspection so invasive that it included full body scans and surgical extraction of stem cells and other genetic material in order to verify their identities against possible Ekonite infiltrators, or worse.

He personally thought it was a bit much, given they were already on a death-trap of a planet so obscenely irradiated that every non-fuvuni leaving it had to take cancer preventatives upon reaching orbit, but his job wasn't information security, so he simply accepted it as his lot as a lowly field agent. He could've done without being told he had to take one of the said cancer preventatives after the scans were done, though.

After that, a relatively calm, if speedy, trip involving a mag-tram, one of their borehole elevators, and a second security check at the bottom, and they were inside of what the fuvuni referred to as 'Secure Facility Six'. Haideng suspected that there were, in actuality twice as many subterranean facilities riding close to the mantle of the planet, but the reports he could acquire from his employer only ever mentioned Facilities Four through Six. Likely because they were the only ones where she, personally, had experiments or research studies ongoing. He also had the sneaking suspicion that he only found out all of this by intention, especially given that his laptop was not seized and replaced with a fabricated replica. He knew this because when his equipment was brought back to him that all the toolmarks and wear and tear were the same.

The thought of an allied intelligence agency assisting him due to earnest desire to see the Kisian League strong was certainly a much brighter thought than 'they can recreate your equipment down to the errant smudge marks on the inside of the casing from your maintenance four months ago without you noticing'.

Definitely a much brighter thought.

He was brought out of his musings when Rusknirri began speaking again, leading the group to one of the 'large internal testing chambers', their euphemism for indoor firing ranges, the fuvuni's arms waving back and forth as they were lead to an observation center built above a meticulous recreation of one of the islander cities on Kastia, complete with emulated shoreline, live plants, and animals. He could even spot clotheslines with still damp clothes hanging on them, swaying in a simulated breeze! No 'kisians', however, outside of some semi-humanoid combat drones, cut-outs designed to look like civilians on mobile tracks, and the rumbling of modified remote control tanks, apcs, and Concordat drone gunships as they moved in patrol rings. A small group were held off to the side, roughly two squads worth of the combat robots with supporting elements of UGVs and UAVs, smaller versions of the automated drones in the course, more or less.

"-ou are already familiar, of course, with the XQ1 Multipurpose Combat Droid, initially produced by Huntleigh-Thatherton in the Colonial Republic, and their performance statistics. Likewise the more conventional unmanned vehicles present for this exercise are merely modified versions of old Kisian Imperial military technology and the Concordat's own Pektchovka Semi-Autonomous Support Craft. A storied and old design, if lightly armored and built more for interception and support rather than proper gunship slugging. I trust everyone present is familiar with the Type 32 MC3 helmet utilized by Kisian aerospace assets?"

A quick nod from everyone present and the alien continued, standing on top of a kisian-scaled chair in order to look out through the observation windows as techs began activating a series of cameras, some linked to the combat drones themselves, others placed in strategic locations in the faux city, displays activating on either side of the room to show the feeds.

"Through careful regulation and modification of the drug regimens and modifications to the interface systems, as well as the broadcast unit-"

And at least two hundred volunteer deaths during the calibration process, not that anyone would point it out outside of the memorials in the mess hall on the station in orbit.

"-we have created a variant that allows a single operator to control multiple drones. Of course, those who can utilize this ability to its utmost are few and far between, until the genetic and neurological testing has been improved, but of those that have been found compatible with the MC3-B and DMC3-B prototypes have shown the capacity to control entire squads simultaneously, allowing for seamless, fluid responses to the chaos of war. Some, however, rise above even that, and while we have hours of footage of the more 'mundane' operators and their efficiency in combat operations, today we will be observing the greatest success of this research project."

The door opened behind them, Haideng carefully shifting to one of the walls to observe the newcomer while keeping his volatile employer and the camera feeds in sight. A kisian woman with white fur, a shorn, bald head, and red eyes denoting ancestry from one the many, many concubines the Imperial Family had over the centuries before being eradicated, the numerous scars on her body just barely visible in the patches of almost transluscent fur that grew from them. Her severe expression took in the entire room as she folded her hands above the neurohelmet sitting in her lap as she was wheeled into the room by some lieutenant who hadn't been working here for longer than three months, and thus was unworthy of memorizing anything other than his rank insignia.

If he were a less dutiful man, he would have missed the slight widening of her eyes as her gaze hit the Deputy Commander.

"I present to you Mihabichei Taisvanani Hikouan, selected for this program both for her military service during your revolution, and for her high compatibility scores with the MC3-B neurohelmet. She will be utilizing the non-integrated variant for this exhibition, as she possesses an overactive immune system allergy to cybernetic implantations, but you will find her performance to more than make up for the slight loss in efficiency."

"Objectives?"

Her voice was quiet, only just above that of the purification machines in the ventilation system, her hands lifting the helmet up and settling it on, the lieutenant assisting her in securing the straps and activating the system in charge of administrating the Kalrithium mixture, gas venting out of the sides of the helmet as its internal cooling systems switched on.

"Target elimination. Simulated infiltration into occupied territory to remove officers and destroy supply lines."

"Acknowledged."

Haideng's eyes turned to one of the camera feeds as the units set aside for the drone-jockey began to shake themselves out of standby mode, the woman's own instincts overlaying them as the not-quite feline humanoid robot drones began to cycle and check the weapons they had been holding previously. He idly noted quite a few of them were carrying some variant of the Type 242 with the same ease a power armored fuvuni would. One of them even had the Heavy Repeating Rail Rifle with belt feeds attached to an ammo compartment on its back!

Outside of the use of the newer weapons they were outfitted generally the same as any kisian would as far as uniforms, equipment, and body armor went. Some had minor modifications in order to make room for fuvuni tweaks to the HT Industries droids, in the form of back-mounted jumpjets, or thicker tail-analogues holding various multi-tools, but that was it as far as the differences went that he could see. The UGVs were small tracked gun carriers, some carrying heavy support weapons, others carrying such things as short ranged missiles or mortar units, and the UAVs looked to be a smaller version of the Pektchovka, trading out the 40mm autocannon for a laser system and switching out the rocket pods for micro-missiles.

There were smaller drones flitting about, probably reconnaissance models and repair support units. Concordat designs he was personally unfamiliar with.

"Given the ranges involved in ground warfare are significantly less than that of aerospace combat, the bandwidth that would otherwise be used allows for the control of multiple drones simultaneously, and Taisvanani is our proudest achievement. In tests against other neuro-pilots she was even observed hijacking their connections through means we have not yet deciphered in order to seize control over their drones. From what the liasons have told me, your Metaphysical Activities Directorate might have to get involved to investigate that particular trait. Subject Taisvanani! You may begin the presentation."

"Hantua shudoi."

After that brief acknowledgement, Hikouan closed her eyes and the forces under her control began to move.

The intelligence officer had once seen one of the Concordat's MIU equivalents performing a wargame against a fuvuni commander. The fuvuni was good, but no amount of talent could hold up against a coordinated onslaught for long, every unit moving in tandem to an unseen will like they were part of the same whole. It was that same fluidity of motion and coordination that Haideng saw in the sqauds given over to the neurohelmet jockey. Spy drones would flit around corners, up to windows, and the modified XQ1's would follow, scurrying up walls or around corners with machine-granted speed, the bulkier, more vehicular drones trundling or floating behind them a short ways before the jockey found what she was looking for. He briefly noted the corners of her mouth, visible through the open face of the helmet, twitching upwards slightly as the felinid combat drones began to deploy a series of radar and infrared baffling camo-cloaks across several of the roofs in that sector, some rigged with explosive devices, others with remote-control micro-missile launchers and jury-rigged rifles. He even noted a few EWAR jammers being spread through some of them, attached to windows, existing dishes or antennae, or simply underneath the camo-nets.

Rather than set up prepared killing fields to lure enemy patrols into with the gun-carriers, Hikouan instead appeared to be abusing the deceptively strong XQ1 units to break into buildings and... Ah. That's what she was doing. She fought in the revolution, after all, so distractions and booby-traps would be more her forte than proper fighting, if she were a partisan instead of regular armed forces. This was further cemented into his mind as he watched her direct her 'troops' into the service tunnels below the city, with the reconnaissance drones scattering across the city and hiding under awnings and in window over-hangs in order to give her better real-time eyes on all of the local patrols.

What followed was a perfectly textbook guerrilla campaign, patrols being ambushed, the prepared positions being used to baffle enemy attempts to interdict or contain her forces, the occasional improvised device or two crippling vehicles to allow for her XQ1 units, operating at full capacity instead of being limited to Kisian biological limits for the duration of the test, to destroy entire convoys with relative ease before slipping away again into the undercity. Certainly praiseworthy, but not nearly as impressive as the fuvuni had made it sound.

The sudden feeling of ice traveling up his tail and a paranoid twitch of his eyes to see if he was being watch revealed that yes, not only was Hikouan glaring at him, but the bane of his existence known as his current 'employer' was grinning back at him. Of all the worst times for his habit to mutter to come back, it had to be now?

"You are, of course, correct. How do the NeoTerrans say, ah, yes. A show is in order. OPFOR, Raztasz."

The good doctor was still grinning at him even as one of the viewscreens flickered, showing only a series of geometric shapes that vibrated and rotated according to the projected sound of a synthetic voice scrambler which, while disguising the gender and identity of the individual, did absolutely nothing to hide the oily smugness that radiated out from the speakers.

"Designated OPFOR present, Chakran."

Either they don't want to know who the other commander is... or its one of their eccentric cousins to the Metakisian Intelligence Units. Given the tone and the honorifics, the latter. Almost a certainty.

"Simulate an attack by a squad of Enemy Champions of the so-called Scutum-Crux Crusade, designated as 'Fused'."

The intelligence officer could feel Hikouan's desire to maul his face and beat him to death with his own tail, and he knew in his heart he would probably deserve it. There were very few things that could simulate the technologies and robustness of those things that were being reported on some of the fronts, which meant-

"Authorization for the deployment of the Razkraasavron and attendant Vritkraasavron escorts?"

"Granted, Raztasz."

"Acknowledged, Chakran."

-that those vehicles that were normally used to screen the mobile war crime factories known as Smekutinya were going to be deployed, forcing the veteran to deal with, for all intents and purposes, a gravitic artillery platform with a series of hover-truck mounted plasma-throwers whose temperatures were best described with the same temperature scales as starship exhaust.

In the end however that realization was not as important as going back to taking notes and pretending he didn't hear the hissing of gas coming from the drone commander's helmet as she upped her intake of chemicals and the heat in her skull began to rise, the kisian female snarling before turning back her attention to the battle at hand.

And what a battle it was, as the massive 'Great Slaughter Wagon' strode onto the field from within a warehouse in the mock city, the modified cargo hauler's cab smashing through the side and onto the street as the modified gravity-banners and lances mounted on the trailer carrying the supercomputer and turret housing flattened everything around it within three city blocks, the shearing forces of twisting spacetime and kinetic energy turning building materials into powder that swirled around the terrible machine. From what he knew from speaking with some of the other fuvuni researchers, despite the anachronistic development of the device involving studying a roving marketing robot for the software, it was built out of mostly Concordat-sourced technologies, even if half of them were based on template designs they hadn't reverse-engineered yet. The monolithic machine wasn't as large as the monstrosities it was designed to protect, of course, but the fact that it could deploy itself as an artillery piece, anti-infantry piece, or even as a shielding device meant that it was highly versatile, and thus annoying, to combat.

The 'little slaughter wagons' that followed out of the dust, were in fact of similar imposing size, vast tanks and overlarge nozzles replacing the supercomputer housing, turret, and maintenance drones of their gravity-wielding cousin, though both held starship-grade reactors, for similar reasons. In the case of these single-purpose devices, however, it wasn't to power esoteric tractor fields, but instead to power an immense plasma-cannon built using similar, if miniaturized principles, to what he was informed was a 'nuclear saltwater drive system'. The fuvuni had essentially taken a starship's thruster, turned it into a flamethrower, and bolted it to the back of a cargo truck. All because of an obsession with perfecting fission technology rather than import from their neighboring non-fuvuni member-states.

I want one.

His admiration was interrupted by the gunships, XQ1s, and other drones under Taisvanani's command, as they reacted like a kicked ant-hill, the woman using every single dirty trick in the book while she's gritting her teeth hard enough to set her gums to bleeding. Explosives were detonating and decoys firing, the veteran holding nothing back in the face of fighting an AI commander who had been given carte blanche to make her mission as difficult as possible. Even as the coordination in the enemy drones was significantly increased, simulating the presence of a Welded Commander organizing the defense through cyborg soldiers, she was toppling buildings and setting off IEDs wherever she could, avoiding contact whenever possible against a foe whom hit and run tactics would only aggravate. An entire squadron of UGVs and a UAV had been sacrificed to 'save' her two squads of XQ1s, four of the five vehicles being shredded by the shielding system of the core unit before a det-charge formed a sinkhole beneath the cab, briefly causing the vehicle to dip as it registered the height change below it, forcing it to recalibrate its defenses to match, only for the UAV to slam into one of its attendants in a kamikaze run that set off a radioactive fireball as the fuel tanks ruptured and then exploded.

If anything this seemed to set off the mysterious 'OPFOR', as the other two attendant vehicles began to spray streams of death that were quickly caught by the tractor beams of the Razkraasavron, the gravitic weapon platform compressing the plasma and slamming it into targets that otherwise its escorts couldn't hit, whether due to range, or in one case, due to the fact that the targets were currently underground, around two corners, and running as fast as their robotic legs would allow.

Although, how did they know they were there in the first place?

As soon as the question entered his head he knew the answer, his eyes noting significantly more aerial recon drones than Hikouan had deployed. He wondered, briefly, if perhaps the supercomputer managing all of the command inputs for the gravity array was also managing a small fleet of drones, but it could be a local command hub for all he knew-

-and given half of them dropping out of the sky when one of the skyscrapers in the simulated city began to sink into itself like a scheduled implosion demolition, that was probably the case. The potential casualties this kind of warfare would cause would be immense, but generally if one of those 'champions' was on the field, the world was either lost or in the process of being lost, and anything that could buy time or temporarily mission kill them was generally more important in the strategic sense. That and any city occupied by that particular enemy tended to have very few civilians still capable of being saved.

In the end, however, Haideng knew it was a losing proposition the moment it started. As brilliant as the commander was, and as much the drugs, stims, and neurohelmet gave her advantages over her enemies, she was but one commander with the remnants of two squads and their supports at her command against a machine mind with the resources of an entire city garrison. She managed to mission-kill another of the Vritkraasavron escort trucks, but by then the simulated city was burning in all of the sections that weren't flattened by hammers of kinetic force, and her unit had been bled so dry that the exfiltration consisted of two battered XQ1 drones clinging to the top of one of the robotic gunships as it flew low enough to almost touch the pavement as it fled the combat area.

The synthetic voice rang through the speakers again, this time without the scramblers hiding identity, revealing a decidedly masculine tenor to go along with the almost chafing sense of superiority the Kisian intelligence officer could hear.

"A splendid showing for one handicapped with lag and an almost entirely physical-space processing capability. I look forward to your progress, Mihabichei Taisvanani Hikouan."

"Rastasz."

Rusknirri own voice was chiding, and slightly exasperated, if the snort blowing out her nostrils and the flicking of her tail was any indication, before the short fuvuni woman turned to all present with a nod.

"Originally the introductions to our head of security were to occur later, but even the Gods Above and Below know the older ones are stubborn. He is currently designated CYBERCOMM but has chosen the common name Miyarkyr when performing outside of those duties. He is the administrative artificial intelligence who coordinates our security, especially against any possible digital intrusions, and assists in the containment of any experiments that are of the more volatile nature."

"Calm seas, Chakran."

As the speakers faded and what little presence in the systems Haideng's paranoid mind could ascertain had left, he was witness to a sight almost as disturbing as the fuvuni doctor's current obsession: she was smiling. A small, fond smile, with no teeth, her eyes closed as her ears tilted back slightly.

She is genuinely happy and if it were possible to fear for my life any more than I already am my heart would explode.

"He is also six subjective centuries old, not counting the memory cycles we had to purge from his databanks from the centuries he had spent encased in rock before we found him, and is considerably eccentric even for his own kind. Should one of your guides go missing or you get lost, simply state his name, he will hear you and guide you back to where you need to be."

The fuvuni doctor whistled something then in a bizarre battle-cant the Kisian couldn't quite place, though the other fuvuni in the room apparently understood it, swiftly corralling the other techs into downloading the data from the computers, both the video and audio recordings, as well as the frequency and medical information from the neurohelmet's internal systems. He even spotted drones, fuvuni workers, and large construction mechs lumbering their way into the 'simulation chamber', likely to rebuild or rearrange everything for another test while others swarmed over fallen drones to bring them to separate labs for damage analyses on their armor and computer systems.

"Subject Taisvanani will, of course, have to proceed to one of the medical bays so that any side effects from the modified serums and the stress she put her brain under do not have any unforeseen consequences, but if the rest of you will follow me I believe it is a splendid time to break for a meal."

As he began to scurry after the group following the fuvuni scientist in the hopes of avoiding the gaze of the now seething Taisvanani, it occurred to Haideng that the honorifics that 'CYBERCOMM' and the doctor were using could be translated to 'grandfather' and 'child', and he was filled with yet more thoughts as to how strange their allies were.

Return to International Incidents