NATION

PASSWORD

Small nations with an unrealistic military.

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Clamparapa
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Clamparapa » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Ulu Turan wrote:
East Fancainia wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:
Clamparapa wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:
East Fancainia wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:why not? we dont eat and support the military logistically

You'll get killed real easy without Logistics, meaning you troops have to carry everything, no radio operators, there are still logistics, even in the Taliban

we have logistics, we have radio operators, we just dont eat

Really? Human beings that don't eat? That sounds a bit FTish; are you MT or FT?

we eat only on friday. one time.

They would likely pass out from lack of food, I can barely last a day without food (It was a dare, don't ask)

the soldiers eat, the civil people dont eat. you can`t but we got used to it

Yes, because our bodies can GET USED TO GOING FOR DAYS WITHOUT FOOD. The human body requires food for energy; if you have no food for energy, where do you get the energy from? Walking and breathing takes up energy; how do you account for this?

East Fancainia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby East Fancainia » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:48 pm

Clamparapa wrote:Yes, because our bodies can GET USED TO GOING FOR DAYS WITHOUT FOOD. The human body requires food for energy; if you have no food for energy, where do you get the energy from? Walking and breathing takes up energy; how do you account for this?

He must not have an army then! :p

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:49 pm

So my military of about 3,900,000,000 is unrealistic? ):
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Ulu Turan
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 25, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulu Turan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:49 pm

Clamparapa wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:
East Fancainia wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:
Clamparapa wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:
East Fancainia wrote:

You'll get killed real easy without Logistics, meaning you troops have to carry everything, no radio operators, there are still logistics, even in the Taliban

They would likely pass out from lack of food, I can barely last a day without food (It was a dare, don't ask)

Yes, because our bodies can GET USED TO GOING FOR DAYS WITHOUT FOOD. The human body requires food for energy; if you have no food for energy, where do you get the energy from? Walking and breathing takes up energy; how do you account for this?

from the cigarettes, the coffee and the tea

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Clamparapa wrote:Yes, because our bodies can GET USED TO GOING FOR DAYS WITHOUT FOOD. The human body requires food for energy; if you have no food for energy, where do you get the energy from? Walking and breathing takes up energy; how do you account for this?

Your body cannibalises itself for energy. This usually results in muscular atrophy and organ failure if prolonged. Not very pretty, thats for sure, and doing it to a soldier is suicidal.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Ulu Turan wrote:
Clamparapa wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:
East Fancainia wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:
Clamparapa wrote:
Ulu Turan wrote:
East Fancainia wrote:

from the cigarettes, the coffee and the tea

Because we all know that cigarettes are really good for you </sarcasm>.

Yep healthy cigarettes
Last edited by The Anglo-Saxon Empire on Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IC Nation Name: The Glorious Empire of Luthoria
Monarch: Emperor Siegfried XVI

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:29 pm

I RP my military as pretty damn tiny, especially considering that people around my size are already claiming to have 200 million plus man armies. Right now I RP that my military is 76 million strong, and the government's working hard to add four million more to the military.

Of course, considering the massive military budget of the GWO, this means my troops are extremely well trained and equipped, definitely making them individually one of the most competent forces in the world.

Ulu Turan wrote:we have logistics, we have radio operators, we just dont eat

Bullshit.

Food is necessary to produce adenosine triphosphate- you can't just "get used" to not eating, otherwise your body won't produce ATP and cellular respiration stops- which is the biological definition of death. Considering that your body uses literally billions of ATP molecules just doing basic things, just think of how much soldiers will need, given that they're constantly moving, carrying heavy equipment, and regularly shooting adrenaline through their body (which increases the rate of the body's processes, thus consuming even more ATP). Eating once a week would result in them becoming so weak that they wouldn't even be able to walk, let alone properly aim and operate a firearm. At this point, all I'd need to do is have my civilians walk out to your crawling skeleton-like troops and start literally stomping them into the street with their feet.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Satirius
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:41 pm

It is decreed: Ulu Turan is a lol nation.

BEFORE THAT MUSCULAR ATROPHY SHALL STRIKE ME DOWN I SHALL DIE WITH MY RIFLE IN MY HAND
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Grandtaria
Minister

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Grandtaria » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:18 pm

Sugara wrote:
Yellow Zone 20-A wrote:I have looked at the military of several nations in nationstates and i believe that some nations (I admit iam pretty shure even my own even my own)
Claim way more military technology than there nation could logicly support.
For example a nation claiming to have f-22 raptors and b1 bombers or an army of 100.000.000 whilst only having a population of lets say 18 million.
Whe all agreed that you need 100 million population to build nuclear weapons.
What should be the rule on the number of tanks bombers planes jets etc etc.....
I believe that there should be clear rules to better prevend god-modding.
Do you agree and if so why.
Or disagree and if so why.

RL Israel's got nukes, and there are sure as hell no 100 million israeli's in the world.

Same case with the UK. I think the point of the 100 mill rule is so new players can ease into the power of nukes, see some good rps and learns some tips, ect. BEFORE they start rping with WMDs themselfs. That way they know how to use them, and the rules of nuke use. Im no expert though.
Putting his foot in it since 2009.
Me talking to Reploid Productions
~Evil Forum Empress Rep Prod the Ninja Mod
~She who wields the Banhammer; master of the mighty moderation no-dachi Kiritateru Teikoku

I just have to say this and its worth possible spam warning, for its gone too long unsaid: "I defeat your Banhammer with my ignore cannon!"

My nattering with Vipra:
Vipra wrote:Heh, I remember when I had a nasty lung infection. Had to get shots in the ass every couple days for two weeks, and not the fun kind of shots in the ass that involve a busty nurse with an ominous bulge in her uniform.

Grandtaria Factbook (Absolutely outdated.)
Please disreguard everything I have said, reguarding politics before 2012. I have matured since then. I was a bigot and I am deeply sorry.

Izistan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Izistan » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:02 pm

You get nukes when you can write a coherent sentence.
306 all tha way yo, reppen fer mi home boyz thro it up

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm

Satirius wrote:It is decreed: Ulu Turan is a lol nation.

BEFORE THAT MUSCULAR ATROPHY SHALL STRIKE ME DOWN I SHALL DIE WITH MY RIFLE IN MY HAND

ULU TURAN INVADES THE GWO: CIVILIAN MILITIA PRACTICES CURB STOMPS ON ATROPHIED UT SOLDIERS
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia

Emporer Pudu
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 22, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Emporer Pudu » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:08 am

The Grand World Order wrote:I RP my military as pretty damn tiny, especially considering that people around my size are already claiming to have 200 million plus man armies. Right now I RP that my military is 76 million strong, and the government's working hard to add four million more to the military.

Is that 76 million fighting men, or 76 million in totality? My fighting population is just less than 26 million, but I have approximately 200 million support persons for that population.
Last edited by Emporer Pudu on Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Estainia
Senator

Founded: Jul 03, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Estainia » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:51 am

Emporer Pudu wrote:
The Grand World Order wrote:I RP my military as pretty damn tiny, especially considering that people around my size are already claiming to have 200 million plus man armies. Right now I RP that my military is 76 million strong, and the government's working hard to add four million more to the military.

Is that 76 million fighting men, or 76 million in totality? My fighting population is just less than 26 million, but I have approximately 200 million support persons for that population.

GWO is one of the more realistic guys around so chances are thats in total.

For myself, 10 million men are the total, broken up between the branches and logistical and support troops.
The Empire of the Etai
Is a bit of magic your thing, or scientific post-modernism?
Consider joining Rostil today and help build a lasting setting!

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Tue Apr 13, 2010 12:25 pm

My entire army is around 1 million, although for defensive purposes I do have a massive national militia of around 7 million.

Franberry
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:10 pm

village idiot wrote:GWO is one of the more realistic guys around so chances are thats in total.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny.
-Aeschylus

Clamparapa
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 25, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Clamparapa » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:27 pm

Franberry wrote:
village idiot wrote:GWO is one of the more realistic guys around so chances are thats in total.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Interesting flame and mix of smilies there; next time, try contributing something to the thread.

I know my military seems really wanked (what with around 250-300 million total), but I rarely ever use them in MT. I'm mainly a PMT/FT player, where both my PMT and FT armies are quite scaled down from the norm (only around 4,000 ships in FT and 6,000,000 troops in PMT)

Basically, I don't worry about my numbers; I use story elements and plot more than stats when I RP. My nation's plot calls for a tiny, well trained and advanced army.
Last edited by Clamparapa on Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Uiri
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Uiri » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:35 pm

Of course, considering the massive military budget of the GWO, this means my troops are extremely well trained and equipped, definitely making them individually one of the most competent forces in the world.

OK, I'm going to call you out on this. Going by your nation page's population, 76 million strong is just over 1.45% of your population. This is by no standards damn tiny, especially because I don't see anyone, anyone, claiming to have armies with more than 3.8% of their population unless they are in war and in some kind of emergency. I don't know where you're getting these figures from.[/quote]
SH*T HAPPENS
<Franberry> a WA condemnation is more useless than an irl UN sanction

The Anglo-Saxon Empire
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby The Anglo-Saxon Empire » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:39 pm

Uiri wrote:

OK, I'm going to call you out on this. Going by your nation page's population, 76 million strong is just over 1.45% of your population. This is by no standards damn tiny, especially because I don't see anyone, anyone, claiming to have armies with more than 3.8% of their population unless they are in war and in some kind of emergency. I don't know where you're getting these figures from.
[/quote]
There are plenty of people that claim to have 5% or in some occasions an even larger percentage of their population in their military. Granted though that most of these people are godmodders, or incredibly ignorant.

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:49 pm

Uiri wrote:

OK, I'm going to call you out on this. Going by your nation page's population, 76 million strong is just over 1.45% of your population. This is by no standards damn tiny, especially because I don't see anyone, anyone, claiming to have armies with more than 3.8% of their population unless they are in war and in some kind of emergency. I don't know where you're getting these figures from.
[/quote]

Let's consider...

1: 5% is the maximum accepted in peacetime, although those armies are going to be, at best, as terrible as the DPRK's military. You know, one rather respected RPer has his military at 7%...
2: My nation's been involved in one war or another constantly for about a decade, not counting the Communists at home.
3: My nation's culture is pretty damn warlike when Leftist revolutionaries or meddlers are involved.

Just a few things off the top of my head.
Basque American

Novikov
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 13, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Novikov » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:50 pm

I role-pay with a total military force of 10.370.000 troops. Considering I'm a nation with damn near 3 billion people, that's an unusually small force (just 0,35% of my total population.) Partly, that is caused by RP concerns which force me to maintain a small military. However, seeing as most people role-play high tech, highly trained militaries, I doubt whether I could exceed three times that force and still maintain technological parity with other nations. The US, which has a very strong R&D, a high level of technological development, and a relatively well trained military sits at just 0.9% of their total population in the armed services - including reserves. I think the US serves as the best benchmark for NS nations because it is not only technologically advanced, but because it develops and produces most, if not all, it's hardware in-country (like many NS nations) and because it maintains a large number of overseas commitments (like many NS nations).

Just as important as a nation's total military size is the ratio of support troops to combat troops within that military. Many small NS nations are inclined to simply determine their military's size (let's say, for example, 1% of a 5.000.000 population, so 50.000 total in the military) and assume these are all combat troops. They will role-pay with several brigades and perhaps hundreds of aircraft and armored vehicles. In reality, though their military requires a large number of support units to maintain each individual combat units. In general, these troops will account for the vast majority of available personnel. Militaries which are actively deployed overseas will require a larger proportion of troops in these support units, but a good general rule is to use a ratio between 7:1 and 10:1, depending on how your military posture is. Other factors which affect this ratio are the number of mechanized vehicles, aircraft, tanks, and ships in your military (remember, the more aircraft you have, the more air controllers and radar operators and maintenance personnel and flight trainers and security personnel you will need.) I personally have my military set at 85% support personnel in the army, 90% in the navy, and 92,5% in my air force (between a 7:1 and 9:1 ratio.) For small nations, this means they may well only be able to support one combat brigade and a squadron of aircraft (using our example nation, a simple 7:1 ratio would equate to 6.250 total combat troops, or just over two brigades).
NSWiki (needs editing), Embassy Exchange, You know you are...
A member of the United Kingdom of Oceania and Nova
Host of the First International Chess Tournament.
Economic: 8.25 Left
Social: 3.03 Libertarian
CoP I (3rd), CoH XLIII (3rd) & XLVI (2nd), WCQ LI-LV

Gardez-vous d’écouter cet imposteur; vous ětes perdus, si vous oubliez que les fruits sont à tous, et que la terre n’est à personne.

Uiri
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 14, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Uiri » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:08 pm

The Grand World Order wrote:Let's consider...

1: 5% is the maximum accepted in peacetime, although those armies are going to be, at best, as terrible as the DPRK's military. You know, one rather respected RPer has his military at 7%...
2: My nation's been involved in one war or another constantly for about a decade, not counting the Communists at home.
3: My nation's culture is pretty damn warlike when Leftist revolutionaries or meddlers are involved.

Just a few things off the top of my head.

1: I was under the impression that was war time. It'd be better to just name names, rather than say 'one rather respected RPer'
2: That would utterly destroy your economy if anything.
3: Then you obviously won't have a damn tiny military...
SH*T HAPPENS
<Franberry> a WA condemnation is more useless than an irl UN sanction

The Adrian Empire
Senator

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Adrian Empire » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:39 pm

I tend to claim to have a gratuitously large military force on top of claiming a ridiculously impossible population, 2.4 trillion and the military representing roughly 5% of my population, but I usually explain myself around that by saying:

A) I would never actually use that many troops in a war, as I would be kicked out for gross godmoding, and I'm not that sort. It is entirely a factbook number that I keep because I am so enamoured with my nation. I keep my real deployment numbers to the standard deployment numbers of my opponents, I prefer to avoid stating numbers at all.
B) As for the high percentage of population, it is a requirement in order to gain citizenship for every single person to serve in the Armed Forces and citizenship is hereditary (after 18 they become Denizens again), so that explains a few percentage points. The further professional force and the citizen's militias account for the other part of the 5%
C) To explain how my economy can survive that, I should point out that my further number noobery makes me claim that my population having perfected mitochondrial age reversing therapy, can live well into their hundreds appearing to be no more then 40 biologically, as such Adrians can serve in the Army and contribute to their economy for much longer then the average person, so 5% of the population while economically destabilizing in a modern country where only perhaps 25 to 40% (if you're lucky) of people are capable of being productive members of society or soldiers at anyone time. In the Adrian Empire that number is nearly 75 to 80%, again it's tech wankry that I only reference and would never use to justify 50% of my population being in the military.

Edit:
Oh and
D) I'm Future Tech, so the population and military size makes more sense when you consider that in order to stretch multiple star systems one would require many billions of people and a very powerful armed forces.
Last edited by The Adrian Empire on Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.
From the Desk of His Excellency, Emperor Kyle Cicero Argentis
Region Inc. "Selling Today for a Brighter Tomorrow"
"What is the Price of Prosperity? Eternal Vigilance"
Let's call it Voluntary Government Minarchism
Economic: Left/Right (9.5)
Social: Authoritarian/Libertarian (-2.56)
Sibirsky wrote:
Lackadaisical2 wrote:The Adrian Empire is God.

Oh of course. But not to the leftists.

Faith Hope Charity wrote:I would just like to take this time to say... The Adrian Empire is awesome.
First imagine the 1950's in space, add free market capitalism, aliens, orcs, elves and magic, throw in some art-deco cities, the Roman Empire and finish with the Starship Troopers' Federation
The Imperial Factbook| |Census 2010

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents