NATION

PASSWORD

The Trial of Governor-General Franklin Simpson (Semi-Open)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Founded: Sep 12, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:06 pm

South Pacific Ocean
12 nautical mi. from the northeastern coast of Harvest Island / 79 nautical mi. from the northwestern coast of Beithe
0355. 22 October 2018.

BCGS Seahorse (PB-98) had responded to Kelpie’s alert regarding a suspicious vessel off the Harvest Island coast. The Beithe Coast Guard fast-attack patrol boat intercepted the vessel in under 10 minutes.

“Our FLIR confirm Kelpie’s analysis?” asked Seahorse’s captain when the civilian trawler entered visual range.

“Aye, captain,” a junior officer replied.

“Not enough to go off by itself. But I see the registration number’s been scraped off the hull—justification for a search right there.” The patrol boat increased its speed to 25 knots and circled its target.

“Beithe Coast Guard! Heave to and prepare to be boarded!” bellowed a sailor over a megaphone. After 30 seconds, the civilian vessel refused to comply. A machine gun burst across the vessel’s bow changed the civilian skipper’s mind, and the trawler stopped its engines and dropped anchor.

Lieutenant Edward Gladden boarded the trawler, accompanied by two petty officers armed with the advanced model, marine-grade AR-33s. They were greeted by a man wielding a Soviet AK-47 (which appeared to be quite old). “Place your weapon on the deck! Slowly!” commanded Lt. Gladden. The man complied without protest.

“Any other weapons on board?”

The man shook his head.

“Any illegal wares or anything you wish to declare before we begin our inspection?”

“You’ll see what you’ll see, I guess.”

“How many others aboard?”

“Again, you’ll see what you’ll see.”

One of the petty officers pressed the barrel of his rifle against the man’s stomach, as a warning for his attitude.

“Alright, calm down, petty officer,” the lieutenant told his subordinate. “Let’s all play nice, okay?”

Lt. Gladden ordered one petty officer to remain on the deck while he and the other sailor searched the trawler. They would begin their inspection where the IR cameras had detected an abnormal level of thermal activity.

It was pitch-black below deck in the sleeping quarters. A faint buzzing sound emanated from somewhere, and the Beithe coastguardsmen’s noses were assaulted by a pungent odor.

“Find the light switch,” Gladden ordered as he powered-on his torch and moved towards the source of the buzzing. In a far corner of the room, he found what, at first glance, appeared to be an industrial-grade refrigerator. But the air around the appliance was hot, suggesting the opposite function. Gladden searched for some type of identification and eventually found engraved on the side: Mikrologitechque Inkubator M-24.

“Found it!” the petty officer announced as the room illuminated. “Hey Lieutenant, check this out!”

Lieutenant Gladden turned and found the petty officer standing next to a bunk covered with a dark shower curtain. He watched as his partner pulled aside a corner—and then fell backwards, screaming. The petty officer jumped to his feet and ran topside; Lt. Gladden could hear him vomiting.

What the hell could have made Bob react that way?

His heart pounding with fear, Gladden slowly approached the bunk, his hand gripping his holstered P226. The lieutenant berated himself for having watched too many horror movies in his lifetime.

The pungent odor was stronger near the bunk. Gladden swatted several flies away from his face. Okay, it can’t be all that bad. He grabbed the curtain and braced himself. On the count of three.

One…

Two…

It can’t be all that bad. Three…

It was that bad—worse.

Gladden jumped backwards like a frightened cat. Instinctively, he made the sign of the cross—an act he hadn’t performed since childhood—and whispered, “Holy Mary, Mother of God…”

He had seen many corpses and disfigured persons before; he had worked as a civilian medic before joining the Coast Guard. But never anything close to this. What is IT? Gladden’s mind could not register the lifeless creature laying before him as having once been a human being.

The man — or perhaps a woman, who could tell anymore? — was indeed deceased, likely for a few days at least, maybe up to a week. Decomposition had begun; flies happily feasted upon the rotten flesh. Patches of bone were visible, and the remaining skin was rust-brown, covered in large pustules—as if the skin had been boiled.

A Beithe Navy EELS Hazmat Response Unit removed the incubator and the corpse from the trawler and loaded them onto a helicopter. Lt. Gladden, his petty officers, and the trawler’s crew of four were placed onto a separate helicopter and would be taken to the isolation ward of Willowick Naval Base’s hospital for observation.

Once the trawler had been emptied of people and evidence, BNS Kelpie was ordered to launch a single torpedo at the vessel.

---

Centreville, Harvest Island
0830. 22 October 2018.

Doctor Lawrence Vicks had been feeling ill since Saturday evening. At first, he’d believed it was just nerves: a psychosomatic reaction to the tragic loss of Sophia White. He and his colleagues had tried for days to save the poor girl. Eight surgeries total. A young life gone… for what? The victim of some petty political feud. Dr. Vicks had seen many patients pass away in his 22 years as a surgeon, including children, and though it never got easier, he had—like all doctors do—learned to move on. You had to control your emotions so that you’d be ready for the next soul needing your help. But Sophia White was different; the doctor knew that her memory would haunt him to the grave.

The fever was worse this morning, and Vicks’s stomach ached like a bomb had gone off inside him. His skin burned. Blisters had formed on his extremities.

Like most doctors, Vicks was a stubborn man. He had called off sick from work, but he refused to seek medical treatment. Whatever ailed him, it would pass, he assured his wife, Justine.

At approximately 0830, Dr. Vicks collapsed in the kitchen, bleeding from the nose and mouth. Justine Vicks found her husband 15 minutes later and called for an ambulance.
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
THE ALLIED STATES OF THE ISLE OF BEITHE
MAIN FACTBOOK | SIDE FACTBOOKS | EMBASSY PROGRAMME | NEWS | CURRENT POLITICS
Head of State: President Ehrich W. Kemp | World Location: Australasia | Government Type: Constitutional democratic federation (official), meritocratic authoritarian democracy (unofficial)
Level 7 World Power according this index. Member of INTERPOL. Current RPs: 1. Political Views.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

Founded: May 02, 2007
New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:04 am

[OOC: Oh my, now that most recent development is quite worrying.]

Beithe Supreme Court Building
Capitol City, Southern District, Isle of Beithe
0920 hours 22 October 2018

Mikhail and Artyom sat and waited patiently for the witness's testimony, with Mikhail studiously taking notes on what he heard. Commander Bolton is some sort of authority figure, it looks like, he jotted down. He looked over to Artyom and tapped him on the shoulder, raising an eyebrow at Colonel Jefferson. Artyom nodded and stood.

"Mr Jefferson," Artyom began, "You appear to be implying that Mr Simpson was motivated by an external force; that is, he was not in control of the situation. Aside from the simple fact that Simpson appeared nervous when talking to you, do you have anything conclusive to substantiate your suspicions, or is it more a hunch?"

Federal Building
Harvest Island, Beithe
0945 hours 22 October 2018

Natalya tapped her chin. .docx was a common file format in the computer community, since it was used by a famous word processor, developed by a certain multinational software company. "This first file here, Ev3.docx, looks like it's a... file used by a standard word processor software, and the target of some kind of operation appears to be... the governor of Sussex at the time. Mr Kemp...? As in, the current Beithen president Ehrich Kemp? Presumably, not a body double..."

She continued reading alongside Agent Williams. "PHC, huh? So then, there is some relationship between President Kemp of today and this Mr Kemp in the documents here."

She turned to Agent Williams. "Mr Williams, do you have any knowledge of what a 'procedure 20-B' may be referring to? Oh, and before I forget..." She quickly donned a pair of gloves from her forensics tool-container. Taking the bag containing the USB into her gloved hands, she held it in front of Agent Williams.

"I found this flash drive in Mr Simpson's computer when I was in the room," said Natalya, smiling. "I was going to bring it to Beithen forensics for analysis, but you caught up to me before I could make my move. I wonder if you'll make more sense of it than I will."
Demonym: Stoklomolvi
Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation
Factbook -- Interpol -- Liaoism (old) -- News Agency (old) -- Commerce Comissariat -- Minyang
Defensive Preparedness: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Nuclear Launch Protocol: А | Б | В | Г | Д
Leader: Commissar Vladimir Mikhailovich Stuyonovich

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:33 pm

0920, 22 October 2018

Colonel Jefferson fidgeted in his seat and cleared his throat nervously. "Well, I can't exactly substantiate--not with real, hard evidence, that is," the colonel replied, "but there have been rumors. I'm sure you've already heard the one about Simpson having met recently with this weirdo 'The Father of the Cause', yes? I think that was in the news. Well, have you heard anything about the Harvest Island kidnappings? That's a rumor itself--maybe a strange coincidence--but some have alleged that the Governor-General knows something about it, had been blocking police investigations."

"Some have suggested that Simpson's a crook. It's well-known that Simpson is an accounting guru, and he's worked for the government so long, if anyone knew how to hide their financial activity from the government, he'd be the man. But like I said, this is just gossip; I can't confirm anything."

Federal Building
0945, 22 October 2018

Agent Williams nodded. "Aye, that's correct: President Kemp was Governor of the state of Sussex back in the '90s, his first public office." Williams frowned and continued, "Sorry, can't tell you anything about this Procedure 20-B. Nor should I know anything about it. It's clearly some sort of CSS procedure. See those rank titles used? 'Field Commander.' There's only one agency in Beithe that uses that particular rank: the Central Security Service."

"Hey, I suppose the dates don't mean anything to you, being foreign and all. Well, they rang a bell to me. Check this out." Agent Williams pulled out his phone and opened a Wikipedia article on President Ehrich Kemp. He scrolled to the following text:

The year 1997 was one of significant personal hardship for Kemp and his family. His father, Johannes Kemp, III, passed away at age 90 on 2 March 1997. Shortly thereafter, on 28 March (1997), his wife Elizabeth was killed in a car accident, having been hit by a drunk driver during heavy rainfall while driving along national highway I-9. She had been on her way back home to the governor’s estate in Newark after visiting her mother in Capitol City. According to the police report, her vehicle was sideswiped by a drunk driver at approximately 2245 (10:45pm). An eyewitness who had been driving behind Elizabeth stated that she’d attempted to maintain control but had begun hydroplaning. Elizabeth’s car struck a guardrail and flipped three times. She was declared dead on the scene by paramedics 15 minutes later. Kemp’s youngest son, Jonathon, was also in the car and had broken both of his legs and his right arm. The drunk driver was also killed after a head-on collision with a third vehicle; the third driver and his wife were killed, as well. Following Elizabeth’s death, Ehrich Kemp took a 3-month hiatus from his duties as Governor of Sussex, deferring power to his Lieutenant-Governor, Gordon Smith.

“I have to wonder,” Williams told Natalya, “if this Procedure 20-B is related to the death of President Kemp’s first wife.”

When Natalya handed him the USB recovered from Simpson's computer, Agent Williams checked his watch. "Normally, I'd say we wait 'till we got back to Central, especially since we have so little time before our flight back to Beithe. But screw it; in light of what we've already uncovered, let's check this out." Williams finished backing-up Simpson's files to his own external hard drive and then disconnected the device. He pulled a CD labelled 'Tails Linux' from his jacket. "In case the USB has malware, of course" he said. The FBI agent loaded the live boot OS and inserted the USB. "Alright, let's see...."
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Fri Dec 14, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Head of State: President Ehrich W. Kemp | World Location: Australasia | Government Type: Constitutional democratic federation (official), meritocratic authoritarian democracy (unofficial)
Level 7 World Power according this index. Member of INTERPOL. Current RPs: 1. Political Views.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:56 pm

0925 hours 22 October 2018

Artyom nodded to Colonel Jefferson. "Indeed, the esteemed Mr Simpson was a knowledgeable man, and most likely still is." He rubbed his chin. "Speaking of the event that actually occurred, were you present at the site of the shootings, alongside your men? Or were you somewhere else? Depending on your answer, our follow-up questions will differ."

He pulled out a sheet of paper and lightly tapped it a few times. "I note that none of the literature we have received thus far provide many details with regards to who, on the government side, were at the scene that day. Only a little while ago did we learn that there were one hundred and twenty five marines who were to give statements about the situation. It is with that in mind that I ask you, Mr Jefferson, provide us with as many details as possible about what happened."

Artyom then proceeded to ask the colonel how the order was given, at precisely what time the order was given, and when the order was communicated to be executed by the marines.

Federal Building
Harvest Island, Beithe
0951 hours 22 October 2018

"So, President Kemp's first wife... out of two, huh?" pondered Natalya. "If what you say is true, Mr Williams, then it may be indeed a most insidious plot to have had his wife assassinated under the guise of an alcohol-related accident. The dates are far too perfect to be coincidence if there is a relationship here; the procedure, given by, as you say, a member of the Central Security Service, seems to be a reaction to some 'investigations' by Mr Kemp. Mr Kemp, being considered the meddler that he was, was then to be sent a warning of sorts? By the CSS? Procedure Twenty B seems to have reached its conclusion on the twenty ninth of March that same year, one day after Elizabeth Kemp was murdered." She tapped her chin.

"And, continuing that same line of thought, if the evidence that we can currently recover in the other document refers to the same Mr Kemp, then it looks like the CSS is actively engaging in some sort of plot against him. Someone's assassination attempt ended in failure, though we have reason to believe here that the target may have been Mr Kemp himself..." she trailed off, staring at the computer screen.
Last edited by Stoklomolvi on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Factbook -- Interpol -- Liaoism (old) -- News Agency (old) -- Commerce Comissariat -- Minyang

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:21 pm

0925. 22 October 2018

Colonel Jefferson seemed embarrassed to respond to Artyom's question. "Well, sir, I was not there with my men. Normally, I would have been. But I was under strict orders from Governor-General Simpson to remain off-site."

Jefferson raised an eyebrow at Artyom's statement regarding the number of marines who'd been present at the protest. "No, that...that can't be right," he replied. "I'd ordered EVERY man and woman to give an official statement. And my orders are not ignored! This can't be right. A clerical error perhaps?"

Federal Building
Harvest Island, Beithe
0955. 22 October 2018.

"Aye, something is clearly amiss," Agent Williams said casually as he waited on his to software to load. "President Kemp's wife? What a cheap shot. An innocent woman!"

When Tails Linux loaded, Williams inserted the USB stick. "Alright, let's see...."

The seasoned FBI forensics agent was stunned. "Nothing! The USB is empty!"

Williams's partner, Agent Gregory, simply shrugged and said, "Well, looks like the kid wasn't a saboteur at least. Must mean he was after some data. Perhaps this juicy information we've uncovered? Or more?"

"Whatever he was after," Williams responded, "we need to interrogate this kid ASAP. Forget going back to Beithe this morning, we have some old-fashioned detective work to do."
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Sat Dec 29, 2018 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:39 pm

0925 hours 22 October 2018

Artyom pointed in Mikhail's direction, who tapped something at a tablet. Mikhail nodded back to Artyom.

"So, at the time of the shootings, you were not present at the site. However, as you are a member of the sixth infantry battalion, out of the one hundred seventeen statements that the investigation now possesses, and out of the one hundred twenty five statements we actually should have in our possession, your statement should be included. Is my conclusion correct, or is your statement actually not amongst the statements from marines that we either have or should have? If there is a clerical error, then this error is grave indeed.

"Following up with my earlier line of questions, how did you give the order, if you were not present amongst your marines? Did you give instructions to them beforehand, for example, 'under certain conditions, execute this command or order,' or did you transmit a kill order remotely? Did you have some line of communication to your men at the scene at the time? Mr Jefferson, Did Mr Simpson give you some specific reason to remain off-site, separate from your marines?" Artyom pressed Jefferson.

Federal Building
Harvest Island, Beithe
0951 hours 22 October 2018

Natalya wondered about the flash drive. "Is it actually empty, or does it merely appear to be empty?" she asked Agent Williams. She shook her head. "We can figure out what actually occurred with regards to this flash drive once we get back to the forensics labs. Anyway... do you know where this youth is being held at the moment? I'm not sure if I am supposed to deviate here and head back to my main group, or if you'd like me to come with you. Either way is fine by me."

She took off her gloves and put them back into her pack for later disposal. Knowing that she would be leaving either way, she began checking her belongings to ensure she was not missing anything.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:38 pm

0927. 22 October 2018

Suspecting that he was now under investigation, Colonel Jefferson's demeanor changed; he stiffened his posture, and his face become stoic. "Well, I did not give a statement to the Harvest Island PD like the rest of my marines as I was not personally present at the time of the incident," Jefferson said, "but I did talk briefly with Agent Walton over the phone -- to confirm that Governor-General Simpson did indeed issue a direct order." Agent Walton nodded to confirm the colonel's statement.

With Artyom's next question, Colonel Jefferson became noticeably agitated. "I relayed my orders to my senior officers, of course!" he exclaimed. "Now, I only told them that they were to disperse the protestors. I didn't authorize that they should use lethal force! I told them only what Simpson told me! This was all verbal communication of course -- it was only after the fact that Simpson issued a formal, written order retroactively."

Sub-Lt. Robertson chimed in. "That's correct. A written order was issued by Simpson's office retroactively, approximately an hour after the conflict."

The colonel straightened his tie. He decided to ask a bold question: "Now listen here, gentlemen: just what are you after? It seems as if you're suspecting me of some wrong-doing. I was only following orders, damn it! And as to why Simpson didn't want me present... well, you'll have to ask him that, now won't you? I can't speak to the man's motivations. Most certainly, as a proud Beithen marine, I challenged his wishes. I don't like to put my men and women's lives on the line when I'm cushy-comfy and safe, but Simpson insisted and wouldn't tell me why, no matter how hard I asked."

Federal Building
Harvest Island, Beithe
0952. 22 October 2018

Agent Williams rubbed his chin. "Yes, Miss Natalya, it is possible that the drive is not truly empty. I had considered that. But would this kid really know how to do that? At least in a way to fool me that is. Possible, yes, but likely? Well I guess we'll see. We'll know more once we get the USB back to the lab for comprehensive analysis. In the meantime, I believe it's imperative that we question this young lad." Williams checked his phone for the time. "There's another hour and a half before the flight back to Beithe's scheduled. Plenty of time for a quick questioning, I'd say. But obviously, you must get in touch with your superiors and appraise them of the situation and to seek further orders. Most certainly, we'll ensure that the suspect remains under custody for your colleagues' questioning."
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Sat Dec 29, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 6 times in total.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:24 pm

0930 hours 22 October 2018

Artyom shook his head at Colonel Jefferson. "No, Mr Jefferson, neither I nor Mikhail suspected you of any such wrongdoing, but that may change if you so desire. Please continue to cooperate with our questioning, as we believe it will likely not only fully exonerate you of responsibility, but also elucidate the murky circumstances surrounding the shootings." He tapped the table with his right hand. "Misha?"

Mikhail closed his eyes and nodded. "Indeed, sir. Mr Jefferson," said Mikhail, turning to Jefferson. "We have had no intention of accusing you of any crimes today. Please continue to cooperate with our investigation, Mr Jefferson, and the situation shall remain that way." He resumed tapping into his tablet.

"Now, Mr Jefferson," stated Artyom, "You state, and Sub-Lieutenant Mr Bud confirms, that you were not amongst your marines, and that your subordinates had orders to, I quote, 'disperse the protesters'. Surely, rules of engagements would prevent your subordinates from freely firing into a crowd of purportedly unarmed protesters, but as we know today, that was not the case." Artyom picked up a page documenting some statements from those present.

"This statement from Joseph Anderson, a bystander, reads, ...we noticed fully armed soldiers had appeared some time after the protest started..." said Artyom. "And then, later, ...suddenly, the soldiers opened fire into the crowd... Another statement from Lancaster Taylor, a police officer, reads, We noticed some of the marines adorned gas masks... But no such agents were used." Artyom then put the page down.

"These soldiers you sent to disperse the protesters seemed a lot more well-prepared for armed engagement than what we now know took place. What kind of information did you give them? More precisely, what exactly did you tell your soldiers, or as you personally stated for the record, '[your] orders to your senior officers'? Please try to recall them as precisely as possible."

Mikhail added, "In addition, could you please describe for the record the rationale behind gearing up your men as much as they were? For example, were you expecting the protesters to be in possession of chemical weapons, since you or someone below you equipped your men with gas masks? Why were your men not equipped with crowd dispersal weapons, such as tear gas, heat guns, or water hoses? Instead, they were equipped with standard issue battle rifles, as we have established earlier." He addressed Sub-Lt Robertson. "Mr Robertson, can you confirm for the record that the marines were only armed with their standard issue AR-33 assault rifles? Or were they armed with perhaps something else, in addition to those rifles?"
Last edited by Stoklomolvi on Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:04 pm

Colonel Jefferson raised his eyebrows. "Gas masks? No, that can't be right." The colonel closely examined the referenced statement. "I did not order such gear. Now as to crowd dispersal tools, frankly, sir, the 6th Infantry Battalion is not equipped with such. Honestly, I'll have to admit we were not well-equipped period for our assigned task. I had considered asking Harvest Island PD for assistance--they'd have the appropriate equipment--but time was of the essence."

Jefferson looked to Sub-Lt. Robertson as the naval lawyer answered Arytom's question. "Aye, sir," responded Robertson, "officially, the marines were only armed with standard AR-33s and general combat gear, not anti-riot gear. But we have photographic evidence showing at least a few marines wearing what seem to be M40 protective masks."

The colonel rubbed his forehead and groaned. "This is just getting stranger and stranger. M40s? The Beithe Marines haven't used those in years. We've switched to the R. Klein Associates M-77. Let me see those photos, Lieutenant." Robertson handed the colonel a photograph clearly showing two marines wearing M40 protective field masks. (The photograph was taken just after the first local police arrived and showed many of the marines exiting the area.) "No. no, no. This is not correct," Jefferson exclaimed. "These are not my marines! Look close, they don't have the 6th Infantry insignia. In fact, there's not even rank insignia, which would be present on the standard field fatigues. What the hell is going on here? Are you fellows trying to trip me up or something? Or is this for real?"

No one in the room noticed the man in the tweed jacket grinning.

"Now as to my precise orders... I'd told them to command the protesters to disperse. I specified that they were to use force for defensive purposes only. Honestly, I never thought it would come to that, but aye, how sadly mistaken I was. I'm still confused, however, as to just what triggered my men to fire. I've asked many myself, and thus far, I cannot get a concise answer. No one seems to know anything."

Just then, there was a brief knock on the door, followed by the entry of Assistant Attorney-General William Stanford, already adorning his court dress (wig and robe). Stanford raised his hand to indicate the men to continue their conversations as if the prosecutor were not there.
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Sun Jan 06, 2019 12:46 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:01 pm

Artyom and Mikhail looked at the prosecutor, then at each other, and then back to Colonel Jefferson. "So, what you're telling us," said Artyom, "is that the men in this photograph, and by corollary, likely all the marines who were present at the unfortunate shooting, were not even from your unit? Rather, someone with knowledge of your orders deployed an entirely different unmarked unit to police the protest, possibly agitated someone from the marine detachment to incite violence, and decide to frame the sixth infantry battalion?"

He rubbed his chin. "I somehow find that unlikely. I think it's more likely that someone used your men and usurped your authority. After all," he said, tapping the stack of statements from the marines in his hand, "there are statements from the members of the sixth infantry battalion. It is, however, a possibility that each of these statements is also a fabrication, created with the intention of framing the sixth infantry battalion. Actually, come to think of it, we haven't had the chance to actually read the contents of these statements."

Mikhail chipped in. "Mr Jefferson, rest assured that we are most definitely not attempting to deceive you. As a matter of fact, I believe that it is now a possibility that all of us in this room are actively being deceived; it is also possible that any of the evidence is doctored or fabricated, which certainly complicates the matter. However, we must trust in our evidence, as it is what we have to go on, and if it leads to logical conclusions, then we may confirm its trustworthiness. Let us wonder not from where this evidence comes, but why the situation depicted in the photographs is the way it is. We may be able to corroborate the contents of the photographs with the contents of the statements from marines and other statements we have not yet examined."

Artyom called over Sub-Lt Robertson. "Sub-Lieutenant Mr Bud, if you would please read some of these statements aloud? I believe it would be prudent to allow you to select the relevant statements to read, as Misha... Mikhail and I have not yet had a chance to peruse."
Last edited by Stoklomolvi on Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:07 pm

“Aye, I don’t know what to believe anymore,” Jefferson replied. “All I can say with certainty is that at least the person in that photograph, the one with the mask, is not one of my own. But my whole unit? Christ almighty, wouldn’t that be some Houdini horseshit?”

Sub-Lt. Robertson spend the next 15 minutes reading from statements given by members of the 6th Infantry Battalion. It was not long before many of the statements seemed to blend together.

“throwing objects, glass bottles and such...shots fired but don’t know who shot first...”

“They threw shit at us. We were angry but we tried to hold strong, at first, but then that first gunshot…panic, panic everywhere….”

“When the first shot was fired, the protesters and onlookers ran about like chickens...they were agitated, so were we...”

“...a single shot and bam, chaos. It was a domino effect…. Someone took a swing at me...”

Suddenly Robertson paused and then preceded his reading with a personal comment: “Hey, this one’s real interesting!” He skipped the first part of the statement and read: “That first shot, I don’t who it was from, but it was definitely the sound of an AR-33. I have ears like a cat—sarge says I should apply for sniper training—so I am certain.”
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:57 am

"Houdini horseshit indeed, Mr Jefferson. The replacement of an entire battalion... quite unbelievable," said Mikhail. "However, it... is true that there is a discrepancy between the number of statements we have in our possession and the actual number we should possess. Namely, that we only have one hundred seventeen out of the one hundred twenty five. With this new information, perhaps the one who fired a shot was actually one of those men recorded as present, but did not actually provide a statement? We cannot rely on the first shooter to submit a valid statement, of course, but we now know a critical bit of information— that is, that the first shot was fired by a marine."

Artyom continued, "We must discover the identity of the first shooter. Sub-Lieutenant Mr Bud, who provided that statement? We must add him to our list of witnesses that require interrogation." He turned to Colonel Jefferson. "As far as we know, if we can correlate the identities of those providing statements with the identities of the men present at the scene, we can at least establish a baseline for our evidence docket. If we are unable to verify that the men providing these statements were at the shooting, then all the evidence we have would be immediately invalidated and require further investigation."

He sighed and shook his head. "We're really not doing too well as far as reliable information goes," Artyom whispered to Mikhail.

"We could be doing worse, sir," replied Mikhail. "At least we know that everyone involved is just as in the dark as we are."

"That's... okay, that's fair," said Artyom, "but as reassuring as it is to know that we're not alone, it doesn't really help us in our investigation to uncover the truth."

Mikhail nodded. "Yes, sir, that is true. But let us not be discouraged by setbacks, for all of these discrepancies must have a reason behind them, whether that reason is rational or not."

Artyom spoke to everyone else in the room. "Colonel Jefferson, I must say, I am rather dismayed at the lack of fire discipline displayed by the marines as illustrated by these statements. I understand that tensions were high, and panic can debilitate one's capacity for rational thought, but look; someone fires a stray shot, and everyone loses their cool?" He shook his head disapprovingly.

Mikhail also shook his head, but for a different reason. Now's not the time to be lecturing people, sir. He lowered his cap a little, as if to hide his eyes.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:20 pm

Sub-Lt. Robertson checked the statement. "A Private First Class Lionel Dawson provided the statements in question, sirs." The lawyer pulled out a notepad and jotted down the name for future reference. "I'll see to it that he's added to the witness list, and I'll pull a copy of his personnel file as well."

Colonel Jefferson turned red at Artyom's remark. It was uncertain whether his reaction was out of embarrassment or anger -- perhaps both. "Well, sir, I don't believe it's like my men to simply panic. There must've been a good reason for how they'd acted. But not having been there myself, I suppose I cannot speak intelligibly upon the matter."

Sensing that tensions were high, Asst. Attorney-General Stanford decided this was an opportune moment to interrupt the interrogation and introduce himself. He extended a hand to Artyom and Mikhail. "William Stanford, pleasure to make your acquaintance," he said. "I actually have a favor to ask of you gentlemen. How would one of you like to speak during this morning's hearing? I believe an independent, foreign perspective would be most beneficial in this troublesome affair. In fact, President Kemp has insisted upon it."

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:57 am

Mikhail shook his head. "My apologies, Mr Jefferson. Mr Ivanov sometimes does not know when it is appropriate to be talking about such things." He peered at Artyom, who coughed and looked down. Mikhail turned to William Stanford and shook his hand. "The pleasure is all mine, Mr Stanford. Detective Mikhail Kolganov, Stoklomolvi Judiciary Commissariat. Currently deployed in the Allied States of Beithe on behalf of the International Police Force, or Interpol, for short. It is good to meet the prosecution in this case." He stepped back to let Artyom forward.

Artyom also shook Stanford's hand. "Indeed, we are most pleased to meet you, Mr Stanford. My name is Artyom Ivanov, Investigator also from the Stoklomolvi Judiciary Commissariat. I'm in charge of the delegation from Interpol, which was previously from the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation."

Mikhail tapped Artyom on the shoulder and raised an eyebrow. Artyom nodded. "Mr Stanford, I believe that between the two of us, meaning Mikhail and me, Mikhail would be most suitable for this purpose."

Mikhail made a flamboyant display of a bow. "My superior flatters me, but I would gladly take on this role if need be." Artyom subtly rolled his eyes.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:25 am

Stanford smiled. "I am pleased to see the professional enthusiasm from you both. If time would allow, I'd have you both testify. Now, when we're in the court, the judge will explain to you what's generally expected from you, and then you'll be allowed to speak. It won't be a questioning per se, but rather a chance for you to present all your relevant thoughts freely, albeit with some restriction. The legal terminology is amicus testimony, but you need not concern yourself with what that means. I may or may not interject from time to time, however."

1015. 22 October 2018.

The investigators were just finishing their interview with Julia Lomond, a witness to the events on Harvest Island. She was a middle-aged woman who had broken both legs after being trampled by other protestors and who'd also received minor injuries to her face after being tackled by a Beithen marine. Though her testimony was heartbreaking, it provided no useful leads.

The courtroom was quickly filling, the time for the hearing drawing near. As the investigators exited their command room, the man in the tweed jacket slipped by Mikhail and patted him on the back. "Good luck on the stand, buddy," he said as he carefully placed a folded document in the Stoklomolvi's pocket.

The document showed signs of age and was stamped with "TOP SECRET ALPHA-1-ZETA" as well as the seal of the High Council of Beithe. It was dated 06 May 1959.

High Council Directive 59-112B

The Wraith Platoon of the Central Security Service shall be established with a singular goal: to maintain the dominance and the integrity of the National Party by all means necessary. Henceforth, the activities and even the existence of the Wraith Platoon shall remain secret from all persons outside the platoon, including the High Council of Beithe and its President.

There was a handwritten note at the bottom:

Share this with no Beithean except Professor Emmanuel Thompson.

OOC: Professor Emmanuel Thompson is regarded as Beithe’s best criminologist. He used to work for the FBI’s Behavioural Sciences Unit before he was forced to retire early due to health issues, but he still assists with cases from time to time. Thompson’s specialty was political-based terrorism. Dual-doctorate in psychology and sociology, plus a master’s in Beithen political history. Currently, he is a professor of Beithen Studies at the University of Kent and has authored multiple books on the history of crime in Beithe and was a contributing author to the official national factbook. His most-recent book was quite controversial: a study of the early history of the National Party, particularly the National Reform Party Special Services (NRP-SS), the direct predecessor to the Central Security Service, and its tactics. Had it been written by anyone other than Thompson, it would’ve been banned.
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:54 am, edited 7 times in total.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:28 pm

OOC: Now might be a good time for Natalya to relay the information she's collected.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:01 am

[OOC: Will do.]

Mikhail nearly jumped in surprise, as he had almost entirely forgotten "Mr Donaldson"'s presence. He didn't actually know who he was, but his odd attire certainly had made him stand out in the room. Mikhail made sure that nobody was looking at him through his peripheral vision, and pulled out the document to read. The stamp of "TOP SECRET" compelled him to mask this document with some unrelated statements that he had been looking at earlier.

He read the words "Wraith Platoon" and froze for a moment. So, it is true then, that there is someone up above? The powers that be, governing Beithe from the shadows? Surely, nobody would dare to forge such a document... Mikhail smiled to himself. What on earth have we gotten ourselves into? ...Hmm, I'm not entirely sure what to make of this at the moment. He put the document back into his coat pocket. His phone vibrated.

The only people who could call his phone at the current time would be members of his team. He knew Artyom wouldn't be calling, and so raised an eyebrow when he saw the name "Natalya" on the screen. "Natalya? This is Mikhail," whispered Mikhail into his phone.

"Mikhail! I have some information I'd like you to take a look at. It might be important for the investigation. Sending it over secure channels now," said Natalya.

"Understood, Natalya," responded Mikhail. "Awaiting information."

It took a few seconds, but Mikhail received photographs that Natalya took of the evidence on Simpson's computer. Mikhail blinked. Does that say... top secret alpha-one-zeta? He pulled the document out of his coat without opening it. Oh, bugger. He slid it back in.

"Natalya, I do not think I can understate the importance of the information you have just sent. You have my gratitude."

Natalya laughed. "Stiff as a board, as always, aren't you, Mikhail?"

"You know full well that I treat my job with the utmo—"

"Yeah, yeah, yeah, save the lecture for later, wooden man. You're gonna sound like Artyom if you keep that up," said Natalya.

"Gnrk! ...right, yes. Ahem. At any rate, I must return to my duti—"

"Yeah, yeah, I gotcha. I'll be heading over there at some point, I'm sure. See you in a few!" Natalya hung up.

Aaaargh, why are all of my coworkers so strange?! He pinched the bridge of his nose. We also have a bit of a situation here. If the evidence corroborates and we can confirm its authenticity, then we're in over our heads. Not even President Kemp can save us now... I better find a way to reach this... Emmanual Thompson person. Maybe Artyom can help, but only after the hearing, I imagine.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:23 am

OOC: I'm going to skip a bit after this. I had written a more detailed introduction but lost it. D'oh.

---

The courtroom had filled quickly with nearly a hundred onlookers -- filled to capacity with journalists from Beithe and abroad, uniformed military and law enforcement personnel, and the usual crowd of court-junkies with nothing better to do on a Monday morning. Fortunately, seats had been reserved for the investigative team in the first row.

The court walls were painted glossy dark magenta. Behind the judge's bench was a golden Beithen coat-of-arms, surrounded by the the national flag of Beithe and the flags of each of the nation's constituent states as well as its federal protectorates. The room's design was unique, specially constructed to place psychological pressure upon a defendant. The seats for onlookers circled around the court and were raised 15 feet. The court was like a stadium, with the defendant at center stage. Its intended effect seemed to be working as Franklin Simpson held his head low and appeared as if he may cry at any moment.

At precisely 1030, the court bailiffs, two marines of the 1st Highlander's Brigade, entered from rear doors and drew their ceremonial swords. The first marine, the court's Sergeant-at-Arms, shouted "Fortuna virtute!" (the official Beithen motto, Latin for "By good fortune and valour!" The second marine replied with the same statement but spoken in Scots Gaelic: "Le deagh fhortan agus gaisge!"

"ALL RISE!" shouted the Sergeant-at-Arms, and the first minute of the Beithen national anthem played.

Upon completion of the national anthem, the bailiffs holstered the swords and the Sergeant-at-Arms spoke: "All shall remain standing for the right honourable Magistrate-Judge Archibald Juilus Gordon MacMahon Duncan, presiding officer of the Federal Court of Internal Administration!" Per Beithen tradition, Judge Duncan entered the court from the same door from which the onlookers had entered, a sign of solidarity with the Beithen public. He nodded at each row as he walked down the steps.

The judge saluted the bailiffs and took his seat. "Please be seated..."
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:41 am, edited 4 times in total.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:27 am

“What charges does the government seek against Franklin Abraham Simpson?” Judge Duncan asked. “And what facts exist to substantiate such a charge?”

William Stanford stood and presented his opening arguments. “May it please the court, the facts of the case are this:
• On 16 October 2018, Franklin Simpson, acting as Governor-General of the Protectorate of Harvest Island, issued an order to utilize armed Beithen marines—rather than local police—to disperse a group of protesters.
• The protesters were not armed and did not threaten violence before the marines’ arrival. The protesters had acted peacefully and within their constitutionally granted rights. Mr. Simpson’s orders were, therefore, not issued lawfully, and no mitigating evidence has surfaced to invoke a good faith exemption.
• The marines dispatched by Simpson’s command opened fire on the protesters. These actions did cause most grave civil, political, and personal damages—most notably, the loss of 37 lives, including persons not directly involved in the protest, the youngest victim having been an innocent twelve-year old girl. The events of 16 October further provoked armed civilians to station themselves outside a major military installation and incited reactionary response by foreign governments, including the dispatch of naval formations near Beithen territorial waters. These latter events represent a true threat to national security as well as a defamation of the Beithen government’s public reputation. Mr. Simpson’s actions are, therefore, unbecoming of a federal official.”

“With full consideration to the above, the government hereby requests from Your Honour indictment of Franklin Abraham Simpson for the high crime of gross misconduct by a government official.”

Judge Duncan’s next question was unorthodox, but it was a question that had been on every Beithean’s mind. “Does the government not also wish to add charges for manslaughter, murder-by-proxy, or felonious assault-by-proxy?”

Within Beithe and abroad, many people, like Duncan, had wondered why Franklin Simpson had been charged only with misconduct. Though in its highest degree, this charge was near-equivalent to treason, an offense punishable by up to life imprisonment—and thus additional charges could be regarded as “overkill”--it was commonly believed that the victims were not duly recognized by this charge alone; it was a matter of moral justice at its core. The government’s decision not to charge Simpson with murder was made more confusing when considering the president’s reputation for overzealous prosecution: since his earliest days as a politician, President Ehrich Kemp had charged government officials with murder and assault for misconduct far less significant than the actions of Franklin Simpson on the 16th of October.

Assistant Attorney-General Stanford froze in response to Judge Duncan’s query; he was unprepared and appeared internally conflicted. After a long half-minute, he finally replied, “No, Your Honour.”

Judge Duncan frowned. “Very well, then. Please present your evidence.”

Stanford continued. “May it please the court, the government will present written testimony by the marines involved in the Harvest Island incident, civilian witnesses, and local police, as well as photographic evidence and preliminary reports from the Harvest Island medical examiner. Furthermore, the government intends to invite to the witness stand for amicus testimony our esteemed independent investigator from abroad, Mr. Mikhail Kolganov of the Stokolomolvi Laoist Federation, sworn officer of INTERPOL.”

“Objection!” Elias Autumn bellowed as he rose with surprising swiftness. “Mr. Kolganov’s testimony is both irrelevant and exorbitantly prejudicial against my client!”

“Approach the bench, gentlemen,” instructed Judge Duncan.

“Your Honour, a foreign officer has no place testifying in this hearing.”

“Your Honour, counsel’s contention is absurd,” defended William Stanford. “And may I remind Mr. Autumn that Mr. Kolganov has been granted privileges by our right honourable President Kemp. Surely if the High Council president believes that there is due cause for a foreign perspective in this matter than this court—and Mr. Autumn, a federal senator and representative of the National Party—should trust in Kolganov’s judgment. Or does defense counsel intend to confuse matters here by invoking xenophobia?”

Autumn scoffed. “Invoke xenophobia? Barrister, my concerns are based upon logic. My concern is only, that as a non-Beithean, Mr. Kolganov may not understand the nature of this hearing: that the question of relevance at this time is not my client’s guilt or innocence but the strength of the present evidence and whether said evidence is commensurate with the requested indictment and sufficient to warrant procession to trial. My concerns are compounded by Kolganov being a representative of a government which had requested my client’s unlawful extradition—a request which our esteemed president rightfully denied and dismissed as a spiritual affront to Beithen sovereignty. It would appear as if the Stoklomolvians—excuse me, Stoklomolvis—already believe Franklin Simpson is guilty of crimes against humanity: a most bogus allegation, I dare say.”

“As an experienced professional, I am certain Mr. Kolganov can set aside his personal and political biases and discuss only the confirmed evidence at hand,” Stanford rebuffed. “And surely, with the proper instruction from the court, he can understand the nature of this hearing. At a minimum, he deserves a chance. Given Kolganov’s special status as temporary Officer of the Court, he has not only the right but the responsibility to testify.”

“Furthermore, foreign testimony is most relevant, as it is one of the government’s principal contentions that Franklin Simpson’s actions did result in a defamation to the Beithen government’s public reputation, both at home and more importantly, abroad. I believe that the sensitive nature of this matter further commands the need for a non-Beithen perspective.”

Judge Duncan wasted no time in issuing judgment. “The objection is overruled. Mr. Mikhail Kolganov may testify, and I will instruct him accordingly on the expectations from him.”

---

OOC: You can jump straight into Mikhail's testimony at this point, if you wish.
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:21 pm

Centreville Regional Airport
1046. 22 October 2018.

Agent Williams waited alongside Natalya at the Harvest Island airport. Their flight back to Capitol City was scheduled to depart at 1120.

Williams's phone rang. "Special Agent Williams," he answered. "Hey, Aaron, what you got for me? ....No shit! Really? You've hit the gold mine, lad. Good work!" When the FBI agent hung up, he ran to Natalya, his face lit up like a child on Christmas morning. "Well, ma'am, what we found on the computer wasn't the only good evidence to surface today. You're going to enjoy this." Williams handed Natalya his phone, on which he had the video recording (with amplified audio) sent to him by Technician Phillips.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Wed Jan 23, 2019 11:23 am

Mikhail smiled and flamboyantly bowed to the judge. "Thank you for this opportunity, Your Honour. I am sure the International Police Force would be proud of the proceedings here today." He then immediately straightened up and faced Elias Autumn. William Stanford began the testimony.

"Mr Kolganov," began the Attorney-General, "please state your name and occupation."

"Mikhail Kolganov," replied Mikhail, "detective from the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation on behalf of Interpol."

"You may begin your testimony, Mr Kolganov," said the Attorney-General.

Mikhail nodded at William Stanford. "Thank you, Prosecutor Stanford. Mr Autumn," said Mikhail, "allow me to begin by thanking you for bringing a set of very valid concerns in my amicus testimony. Namely, one, how I may be approaching the issue of evidence and its purported authenticity, and two, the bias that I may demonstrate today. However, I will seek to assuage your concerns, for my purpose here is not to assist in the conviction of Mr Simpson. While it is true that the government that originally was behind the extradition demand was that of the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation, I am a representative of the International Police Force, not the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation. My only purpose here is to discover the truth behind the case of Mr Simpson, regardless of how convenient or inconvenient that truth may become.

"I appreciate you, Mr Autumn, for suggesting that the strength of the evidence is insufficient. Indeed," Mikhail said, crossing his arms. "it was very perplexing to me, the situation surrounding some of the evidence we have today."

He pulled out a sheet of folded paper. It was a series of notes he had jotted down about the marines and Colonel Jefferson. "Earlier, during our interrogation of a Mr Nicholas Jefferson, we were examining statements made by Beithe Marines regarding the shooting incident six days ago. However, there were inconsistencies in a number of areas. The first and most troubling inconsistency was in Mr Jefferson's orders to his marines, and how his marines behaved and appeared after the incident. Let it reflect in the record that I will seek to submit a number of pieces of evidence to the court today."

Mikhail donned a pair of rubber gloves and presented a plastic bag containing a photograph of the M40 gas masks the Beithe Marines wore. "Depicted in this photograph are two marines, both wearing an M40 model gas mask according to Colonel Jefferson. However, also according to Colonel Jefferson, the current model of gas mask worn by Beithe Marines is the R Klein Associates M77 model. If an expert witness may corroborate this information, then it is clear that there is some reason behind the marines deployed to the square on Harvest Island that day with outdated gas masks. We discovered this information through a statement made by a Mr Joseph Anderson, who was not involved with the protest but was present that day."

Judge Duncan looked at the two lawyers, who seemed to be silent. "The court accepts the photograph into evidence." A bailiff walked over to Mikhail and collected the bag.

Mikhail then presented Joseph's statement. He said, "A bystander noticed the gas masks, but no chemical agents were used." He rubbed his chin. "Mr Jefferson appeared rather confused and distraught when he commented on the behaviour of his marines, as it did not appear that the marines he deployed were the same marines he gave his orders to. He did not appear to have enough time to mobilise his marines in a way that would prepare them for a non-violent encounter. After all, all of his marines were equipped with AR-33 assault rifles, not crowd dispersal weapons such as tear gas, which is a chemical agent. Naturally, if any of us were to command a team of subordinates, and later, it does not appear that the team of subordinates were not the same people, it would be very confusing.

The judge looked again at the lawyers, who raised no objections. "The court accepts the Joseph's statement into evidence."

"I am referring, of course, to the source of the chaos on that day." Mikhail brought out yet another bag, this time containing the statement by Lionel Dawson. "This statement, made by a Mr Lionel Dawson, states that the sound of the first shot he heard was that of an AR-33 assault rifle. While this statement alone does nothing as far as the charges at hand go, it does add increased uncertainty to the situation that we currently know about. All of the other statements we had processed today did not claim to know the source of the gunshot. Mr Jefferson seemed to believe that the marines he deployed may have been different from the marines actually present. How much of that is true is currently uncertain. I do believe, however, that Mr Dawson has been summoned to join us at some point to be subject to further cross-examination."

"The court accepts Lionel's statement into evidence," said Judge Duncan.

Mikhail then pulled out some government documents that had been given to him by the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation, declassified for international use. "That is as much information as I have directly relevant to the trial at hand as far as the shooting incident is concerned. Moving on to the topic of bias, as I have stated, I do not consider myself an actor acting on behalf of the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation. However, as the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation is a foreign state, it does classify as an actor in determining the international reputation of Beithe. I have in my possession a communications device with a direct line of contact to a representative of the Stoklomolvi Foreign Affairs Commissariat if cross-examination is required, and I have here a set of documents prepared by the Stoklomolvi Foreign Affairs Commissariat before I had departed, describing its stance towards the situation in Beithe." Mikhail presented those documents to the court.

With no objections, Judge Duncan again accepted the documents into evidence.

"In summary, the Foreign Affairs Commissariat states that regardless of the reasoning Mr Simpson may have had in ordering the shooting of innocent protesters, using violence to squelch the voice of the people demonstrates either an inability or unwillingness of a government to listen, which in turn demonstrates that the government in question may have lost the mandate of its people in some form. The intention of the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation at the time, in demanding the extradition of Mr Simpson to face justice, was to remove a problematic actor from the Beithe government and to reassure the people of Harvest Island that they were not alone. Mr Kemp's decision to refuse extradition and instead open cooperation demonstrated to the Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation that hope was not lost, and that the government of Beithe was still fully capable of acting reasonably. Nevertheless, the opinion of Beithe in the eyes of the Stoklomolvi government was severely impacted by the way the Beithen government handled the fallout immediately after the shooting incident.

"Being that the official policy of the Stoklomolvi government is non-interventionism under most circumstances, the situation in Beithe following such a policy, the Stoklomolvi Foreign Affairs Commissariat states that it would have likely resorted to diplomatic and economic means to pressure the government of Beithe. It is clear to the government of Stoklomolvi, however, that other parties in the region were most definitely of an aggressive intent, which demonstrated to the government of Stoklomolvi that the shooting incident on Harvest Island had wide international impact. That is, in short, the viewpoint of the government of Stoklomolvi." Mikhail then made a slight bow. "Let it be clear to the court that these are the words of the Stoklomolvi government, summarised for brevity. They reflect the perspective of neither Interpol nor me. That concludes my testimony at this time." Mikhail bowed to the lawyers and the judge.

Judge Duncan nodded. "Mr Autumn, you may begin your cross-examination."

"I have just a few questions for you, Mr Kolganov." Elias Autumn rose, straightened his court robe, and approached Mikhail.

"Did Franklin Simpson order the marines to use lethal force?"

Mikhail shook his head. "Unfortunately, Mr Elias, I have insufficient evidence at my disposal to determine whether Mr Franklin Simpson explicitly ordered his marines to use lethal force at this time. I am unable to answer your question."

Elias Autumn continued. "You’ve had a chance to speak with Colonel Jefferson, the commander of the 6th Infantry Battalion. Did the colonel tell you whether or not he authorised lethal force?"

Mikhail pulled out a set of notes about Colonel Jefferson's interrogation and held it out in front of himself. "Colonel Jefferson stated, I quote, 'I'd told them to command the protesters to disperse. I specified that they were to use force for defensive purposes only.' Emphasis made in the original statement by Mr Jefferson. This statement contradicts a statement he made previously, when Mr Jefferson stated, and I quote, 'Now, I only told them that they were to disperse the protesters. I didn't authorise that they should use lethal force! I told them only what Simpson told me!' Sub Lieutenant Robertson confirmed that Mr Simpson gave a retroactive written order after the incident. Between Mr Jefferson's orders and Mr Simpson's orders, there appears to be a slight contradiction, as Mr Jefferson says that presumably lethal force would be permitted if used defensively, whereas Mr Simpson appears to have merely ordered him to disperse the protesters without mentioning whether lethal force was authorised. Again, Mr Jefferson is present today, so it may be best to ask him directly." He put the notes away.

"To the best of your knowledge, are any of the marine officers directly involved in the Harvest Island incident facing criminal investigation?" asked Elias Autumn.

"Objection!" William Stanford interrupted. "Your Honour, that question is not relevant to the current case, as we are discussing the conduct of Mr Simpson, not the marine officers in the incident."

Judge Duncan shook his head. "Overruled. I believe that there is reason to acknowledge the relevance of the marines deployed by Mr Simpson by proxy through Mr Jefferson. Mr Kolganov, please answer the question."

Mikhail bowed again. "Yes, Your Honour." He pulled out his tablet and looked through some notes from his coat pocket. "As of right now, the only person involved with the shooting incident that we have interrogated is Mr Jefferson, but he was not directly involved as he has stated that, I quote, '...I was not there with my men.' He then went on to say, 'But I was under strict orders from Governor-General Simpson to remain off-site.' It seems that had Mr Simpson not ordered him to be away, he would have directly been involved, and he would then be the only officer directly involved who is also facing criminal investigation. However, Mr Jefferson fails the criterion of being directly involved. Therefore, to the best of my knowledge, none of the officers involved are facing criminal investigation. I am unsure if Mr Dawson counts as a marine officer, but he is in line for interrogation, I believe."

Centreville Regional Airport
Centreville, Harvest Island, Beithe
1052 hours 22 October 2018

Natalya looked at the recording on the phone. "There's an actual recording of the shooting?" She tapped her chin. "This is an amazing piece of evidence!" she exclaimed, eyes widening. She played through the video, tapping notes into her tablet as she went.

"We've been operating only on photographs and statements up until now, according to Artyom and the rest of the crew. I've contacted Artyom while we were here, and he briefly explained the current situation back in Capitol City. Apparently, they discovered some seriously odd details about the marines who were at the scene of the crime."

She scrubbed the video to the image of the last marine. "Like the gas mask he was wearing. There was something about the model of gas mask? And that nobody was expecting chemical weapons? I'm not too keen on the exact details here, but this video shows a contradiction to what most people apparently know."

Natalya returned the phone back to Agent Williams, and then paused. "Mr Williams, do you think the guys back in Capitol City could make use of this video as evidence in the courtroom?"
Last edited by Stoklomolvi on Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:08 pm

"Thank you, Mr. Kolganov, for illuminating the facts of the case thus far and having answered my questions aptly," said Elias Autumn. "I have just one more question, sir. In your professional opinion, and based strictly upon the current facts as they are, do you believe that my client, Franklin Simpson, should be indicted for the high crime of gross misconduct?" Sensing an objection from Stanford, Autumn waved his hands and said, "No, no, withdrawn; let me re-phrase. I understand that you are not an expert in Beithen law and may not appreciate the difference between general misconduct by a government official and gross misconduct. So, in your professional opinion, do you believe that, based on the current facts, that Franklin Simpson can, at this time, bare full moral culpability for the events that unfolded on Harvest Island the afternoon of the 16th of October?"

At the same time, the Sergeant-at-Arms slipped Judge Duncan a memo marked "URGENT" from Agent Williams of the Beithe FBI.
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:34 pm

"As far as I am, as a professional, is concerned, a government representative of the people is responsible for overseeing the welfare and continued prosperity of the people he or she is to represent," said Mikhail. "I am a detective, so my opinion can only be derived from the evidence we have at hand. It is clear to me that Mr Simpson held responsibility for affairs under his control on the island, owing to his prior position as Governor-General. His deployment of the marines was conveyed to Mr Jefferson via verbal and later, retroactively, written order. However, due to the confusion during deployment, and the contradictory evidence we have at our disposal with regards to the facts of this case, I am unable to say with confidence that either Mr Jefferson or Mr Simpson maintained control over the deployment of the marines."

He crossed his arms and furrowed his brow a bit. "It is true that Mr Simpson was the man in charge at the time. However, I have reason to believe that Mr Simpson himself is hiding a lot more than we know at this point, having seen what I've seen up until this point. You asked, 'based on the current facts', what my professional opinion is. The fact that Mr Simpson is withholding information is one of the current facts of this case at this time. Therefore, in my professional opinion, I cannot answer your question, specifically with regards to the words 'moral' and 'culpability', as there are too many unknowns to elucidate and too many contradictions that we have yet to resolve."

He stared at Elias Autumn.

The Isle of Beithe
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Isle of Beithe » Thu Jan 24, 2019 1:39 pm

"An interesting assessment," replied Elias Autumn. "It would almost seem as if the government has been quite hasty in their indictment, given that the facts of the case are, as you've elucidated, so murky thus far. Would you agree, Mr. Kolganov?"

Prosecutor Stanford grinned.
Last edited by The Isle of Beithe on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:46 pm

"I do not agree, Mr Autumn," responded Mikhail. He pulled out a sheet of paper with some notes he had jotted down during the statement and held it in front of himself. "The charge against Mr Simpson is gross misconduct by a government official. The very first fact of this case is that the Governor-General made the orders to disperse an unarmed protest. To my understanding, in Beithen law, this move, made without probable cause, such as the knowledge of violence or weapons at a protest, is in itself unlawful. Furthermore, Mr Simpson made the conscious decision to utilise marines, rather than local police, to handle the protesters. It is also clear that Mr Jefferson, a colonel in charge of said marines, was well aware that the marines were ill-equipped to handle the unarmed protest at that time. The immediately apparent results of these actions by themselves were the deaths of over three dozen innocent civilians and inciting several foreign governments to deploy multiple combat fleets to the vicinity of the Isle of Beithe. Considering these facts in isolation, regardless of the other factors also involved, I believe that the government of the Isle of Beithe was not at all hasty in its indictment of Mr Simpson."

Mikhail then put his notes away.
Last edited by Stoklomolvi on Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents