NATION

PASSWORD

Down A Slippery Slope [OOC/Interest/Open/MT]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Goram
Senator

Founded: Jan 30, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Down A Slippery Slope [OOC/Interest/Open/MT]

Postby Goram » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:10 am

Down A Slippery Slope

In late 2009, the United Kingdom's centrist government introduced the twin "Modern Slavery Act" and the "Piracy Act". In an unusual display of partisanship, the Acts received a not inconsiderable amount of support on both sides of the House. The only real opposition came in regards to what to do with liberated slaves and the reaction of those pro-slavery/piracy states that still existed in some parts of the world. Yet the Acts garnered enough popularity to be brought to vote only eight weeks later, in January 2010. It passed with 72% of the available votes. The majority of the 28% that did not vote for the Acts chose to abstain. These MPs, despite their misgivings, did not wish to have their voting records chequered by votes against piracy, or worse, slavery - institutions that were almost unanimously regarded as twin evils by the overwhelming majority of the Goramite populace.

By the summer of 2010, the acts were being put into practice. Since then, upholding the Slavery/Piracy Acts have been the biggest drain on the Royal Navy's books. Precisely 576 sailors, naval aircrew and Marines have been killed in action - with approximately the same again seriously wounded. However, to date, not a single ship has been lost and only one severely damaged by a suicide device. Yet, the results have been somewhat above what was expected. Each year has seen an average of 138 ships intercepted, the release of more than 5,000 captive persons and the interdiction of drugs to the magnitude of thousands of kilograms. The street value of the narcotics and trafficked persons were, in a study presented to the house last year, estimated at upwards of 50 million Sterlings a year. As such, the waters immediately around the United Kingdom have become bereft of trade for the patrolling RN corvettes, with their supporting aircraft. Buoyed by success, Parliament has voted to extend the remit Acts and, as such, of the military operations sanctioned therein. Yet, the downside of such a move is a worsening public image of the Acts. Although still extremely positive, there is a growing concern in certain constituencies - particularly where slaves were being resettled - as to just how many of these liberated peoples would be arriving to take their jobs and their homes. Equally (although far further from the popular concern) is the old concern of what those pro-slavery/pro-piracy states might think as the Royal Navy moves deeper into international waters. These tigers have been poked before, with few losses and much offsetting success.

But just how long can this success and public opinion last?

Above is the general background to the RP, as I've just made it up carefully thought it out. The OP will detail the Gannet Class Corvette UKG Murre, on her combat deployment in support of the anti-slavery/anti-piracy acts. Contact with Murre will be lost as the ship is destroyed by unknown means. Perhaps it was an accident or an isolated act of terrorism. Perhaps it was the work of a foreign power who's finally had enough of having their (in the laws of their country) perfectly legitimate businesses interdicted by the United Kingdom.

I leave the detailing of why and what killed Murre up to you. I'm looking for at least one antagonist as a minimum, but anyone is welcome. If you're keen, drop me a telegram or post here. I'm not one for sign up forms, so just post who you are and what side you're on.

Thanks.

Krumbia
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Krumbia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:35 am

This looks interesting. Happy to be the Murre's Royal Marines OC, either as a Sergeant, Colour Sergeant, or Lieutenant depending on the size of the complement. Character name can be Spencer James.

Goram
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:49 am

Krumbia wrote:This looks interesting. Happy to be the Murre's Royal Marines OC, either as a Sergeant, Colour Sergeant, or Lieutenant depending on the size of the complement. Character name can be Spencer James.

So, this isn't a character RP - more of a national one. Sorry, I should have been more clear. That said, if you're super keen to play a specific character then that's fine. Just get ready to start swimming, because your Corvette may not be long for this world.

Krumbia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krumbia » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:59 am

Goram wrote:
Krumbia wrote:This looks interesting. Happy to be the Murre's Royal Marines OC, either as a Sergeant, Colour Sergeant, or Lieutenant depending on the size of the complement. Character name can be Spencer James.

So, this isn't a character RP - more of a national one. Sorry, I should have been more clear. That said, if you're super keen to play a specific character then that's fine. Just get ready to start swimming, because your Corvette may not be long for this world.

In that case, I'll send Captain Spencer James the privateer and his ship, the KNS Commonwealth. It's a frigate, with letter of marque from the Krumbian government. As such, it's employed in this case by a government that practices piracy in order to protect pirating operations in wherever the Murre is operating. It will be opposed to the anti-piracy operations.

Goram
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:28 pm

Krumbia wrote:
Goram wrote:

In that case, I'll send Captain Spencer James the privateer and his ship, the KNS Commonwealth. It's a frigate, with letter of marque from the Krumbian government. As such, it's employed in this case by a government that practices piracy in order to protect pirating operations in wherever the Murre is operating. It will be opposed to the anti-piracy operations.

Sweet as, sounds great. I’ll start it tonight or tomorrow, my time (UK - which I suspect is also your time?)

Krumbia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Krumbia » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:19 am

Goram wrote:
Krumbia wrote:In that case, I'll send Captain Spencer James the privateer and his ship, the KNS Commonwealth. It's a frigate, with letter of marque from the Krumbian government. As such, it's employed in this case by a government that practices piracy in order to protect pirating operations in wherever the Murre is operating. It will be opposed to the anti-piracy operations.

Sweet as, sounds great. I’ll start it tonight or tomorrow, my time (UK - which I suspect is also your time?)

Yeah, it is.

Badiyah
Lobbyist

Founded: Sep 23, 2018
Ex-Nation

Postby Badiyah » Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:27 am

This is an interesting RP concept. I have a question though. Would you consider the ‘sponsorship’ system of foreign guest workers in the Arab world (such as Lebanon, Kuwait, UAE) as modern slavery? Some human rights groupa do due to the relatively poor conditions and restricted rights in most areas.

Trying to see if I would be determined a slaver state.
Last edited by Badiyah on Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Al-Mamlakah Al-Badiyah | المملكة بادية | The Kingdom of Badiyah

Goram
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:49 am

Badiyah wrote:This is an interesting RP concept. I have a question though. Would you consider the ‘sponsorship’ system of foreign guest workers in the Arab world (such as Lebanon, Kuwait, UAE) as modern slavery? Some human rights groupa do due to the relatively poor conditions and restricted rights in most areas.

Trying to see if I would be determined a slaver state.

Honestly, it wasn't something I had considered - I'm afraid I don't know enough about it and will have to do some reading. However, if you want to join in on the premise that your nation feels it is or may soon be threatened (or whatever you like, really) - then be my guest.

Goram
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 am

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=450478

There you are. Knock yourselves out.

Goram
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Goram » Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:41 am