NATION

PASSWORD

CelSym (Abandoned)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Nerotysia
Minister

Founded: Jul 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

CelSym (Abandoned)

Postby Nerotysia » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Stories of the Alvish Dynasties

A Roleplay from the Ordis Community
The following thread may contain inappropriate or adult imagery.

O Fortune, Like the moon
You are changeable,
ever waxing
and waning.
Hateful life,
first oppresses,
and then soothes
as fancy takes it;
poverty,
and power
it melts them like ice.

Gozich, Capital of Alvia
Within the Arrowhead of the Alvish Imperium
511 years after the Chaos

It was just after sunset, the sky splattered with red to match the carnage on the ground, when King Gildomir shuffled into the Garden of Night. The rain was light, like dust, and the clouds breaking. Gildomir had shelved one arm inside his robes, to protect the precious parchment inside. Slowly, ever slowly, he trod his way to the final empty lawn chair, smiling around at the assembled men of power. He took his seat with a huff, and spent several minutes setting up his umbrella.

“Can we get on with things?” It was the lord of House Azach who spoke first. Vosmir was the youngest in the garden, barely older than the sticky purple Ausenauft flowers he sat beside. His voice was cold, impatient, arrogant. He was the last survivor of the Azach imperial line, the last direct link to Aldana I and the ancient history of his house.

“Well, it is quite necessary to protect my parchments, Vosmir.” The old Clovish king smiled. One-hundred was not an easy age.

“And why are we using parchment?”

“Oh, I find it charming. You must allow an old man his foibles.” Gildomir finished extending his umbrella, and straightened to eye his noble guests.

At this point the first screams emerged from the towering palace behind them. Fire and smoke had clouded the building for hours, as the mob ripped its way through the residence like a plague of locusts. But they had finally reached the imperial apartments, where the Zaeserin Lo’vala and her children slept.

“She did not escape?” Vosmir breathed, his voice shuttering.

“Oh, in my endless forgetfulness, I failed to warn her, unfortunately.” Gildomir shrugged. “Call it the Justice of the people, highness.”

It was another patch of screaming, this time higher-pitched, clearly that of a teenager, or a child. It simply did not stop.

Gildomir whistled. Fourteen heavily-armed palace guardsmen emerged from the periphery, taking positions around the assembled noblemen. A chorus of shouts arose immediately.

As always, Vosmir spoke up first. “What is the meaning of this, old man? We are not street criminals. There’s no need for your thugs.” He was still young, and he didn’t hide the quiver in his voice.

Gildomir cleared his throat. “Gentlemen, our wicked Therian Zaeserin shall be dead very soon. In fact, we shall be able to tell.” He grinned. “As soon as the screaming stops.”

The guardsmen placed their hands over their weapons.

Gildomir spoke. “When she inevitably falls, it will be our job to select her replacement. Now, as her beloved husband, I personally think I am best-placed to take her position, as I am already familiar with the practice of imperial governance, and have already laid plans for this very eventuality.” He withdrew the parchment from his robes. “Are there any other claimants?”

This time it was Struda, lady of House Olten-Schala, who spoke first. “Gildomir, this is a farce. I was told we would be discussing how best to reconstitute the Volthaug, not succession. That is for the Volthaug to decide.”

“Unfortunately our present political crisis demands immediate action. The chaos is so widespread, you can hear it! Listen!” Gildomir paused and closed his eyes.

For two minutes there was silence. The assembled princes contemplated the screams of the imperial family, the howls of the mob, audible even at this distance. Occasionally, a staccato burst of gunfire.

Vosmir broke the silence. “Well, if you demand it, then I will answer. House Azach clearly possesses the most legitimate claim to the throne.”

Gildomir diligently copied Vosmir’s words down on his parchment. “Ah, excellent. Well, let us have some discussion then, yes? The older I get, the more I appreciate a good discussion.”

At this the Clovish king whistled again. The guardsman behind Vosmir shot the prince in the back of the head. The body crumpled forward into the dirt.

“Well, that was enriching. Any other claimants?”

The roundtable was silent. The houses looked to each other for cues, and all shook with fear. Weeks and weeks of chaos, rioting, disorder, and it culminated in this? They could hardly believe the scene.

“Good!” Gildomir copied the events down on his parchment. “Well, I believe we can consecrate this gathering, then!” He handed the parchment to one of his guardsmen, who carried it over to Vosmir’s corpse.

“He was the last of his line,” breathed another prince, the lord of House Vortmundausel, Germald. “He was the last.”

“Oh yes. No more true Azachs, I suppose. Unfortunate, but necessary.” Gildomir was smiling wildly. “I suppose he should have found a wife to fuck a little earlier!”

There was another prolonged silence, in which the screams and howls intermingled with Gildomir’s crackly laughter.

“The Dadanoi and the Azachs will not forget this night, Gildomir,” whispered Struda. “There will be retribution.”

“Struda, you are an admirable lady,” Gildomir said, wiping his lips. “But you don’t understand. Princes are like wild dogs. When they forget their master, you beat them again, and they fall back in line.” He spit a globule of phlegm onto the dirt. “Now, since you people have spent the last seventy years picking fights with each other, House Kaisthurm has the largest fleet in Alvia. If I recall correctly, it’s a pretty significant margin as well, now that the Dadanoi are beaten.” He smiled. “I think we will be very good at beating dogs.”

Struda kept her gaze fixed on Vosmir’s body. “There will be retribution. And it will not be you, Gildomir. It will be your family that suffers.”

He leaned forward. “Did you not hear me? Violence does not bring retribution. Weakness does. House Kaisthurm shall never be weak again.”

Struda pursed her lips.

“In any case,” Gildomir said, returning to his slouched pose, “if you please, sergeant.”

The guardsman retrieved a bucket of liquid greenfire from behind a hedge, and dipped the parchment inside. He then set the paper alight and dropped it on Vosmir’s body, which immediately caught the flame.

“Parchment is worthless. The flame, however, is vastly more fascinating.” With much trouble and the aid of a guardsman, Gildomir stood. “You see, my friends, this is what happens to the enemies of House Kaisthurm.” He gestured grandly to the fiery corpse, which had by now begun to burn green. A repugnant organic slime started to ooze into the dirt.

Triumphantly Gildomir turned and departed as Zaesir of Alvia.

Seven Years Later

Seven years later he was dead, and Lo’vala needed to act quickly.

In her nightclothes she raced through the Azach apartments, nestled deep within the great tower of the Palace of Rhapsel. Unbeknownst to the dead Zaesir, the Dadanoi princess and her cousins had been staying with the Azachs for almost two weeks, the culmination of years of planning. Aristocratic privilege had protected their secrecy: now, she was hours from seizing the Empire.

She burst into the dressing room of Ingald kov’Zaltha, leader of the Blues in the Volthaug and Lord of House Azach. He was naked.

Kreisel, Lo’vala! You can simply ring me, you know.”

“It must be in person,” she muttered, striding past him towards his contact lenses. “You Alvish are too squeamish anyway, a naked body is a fine thing.”

Ingald dressed himself slowly as she ran through his messages, replacing one of her lenses with his. “Lo’vala, I am eighty-four years old. My body is no fine thing.”

“Everything is according to plan?”

“Yes. I’ve already confirmed with our admirals.” He dressed in the traditional garb of a Volthir: a long, blue robe, high-collared and trailing on the floor as he slouched. The fabric was encrusted with gemstones across the shoulders and neckline, a mark of his status and wealth. He stepped over towards Lo’vala and held out his hand. “Those are my private devices, young lady.”

Reluctantly she returned them. “Alright, we must move quickly. I will inform our men that now is the time.”

Situated much higher in the Palace of Rhapsel were the imperial apartments, currently occupied by various members of the extended Kaisthurm clan, all gathered to watch their patriarch die.

Gildomir, now one-hundred and seven years old, had been comatose for weeks after a vein had burst in his head. His organs began failing soon afterwards, and there wasn’t enough time to grow replacements. He had been slowly falling towards Hades ever since.

The heir, Dalfindir, was situated in the apartments directly under Gildomir’s own, along with his direct family. His grandmother Svethela refused to live in the same building as her hated father even as he died, so she stayed in the city, along with most of the Kaisthurm elders. This left Dalfindir’s parents, uncles and aunts to stay in Rhapsel and look after the family’s affairs. Well, at least the family’s immediate affairs, such as the funeral.

The night of Gildomir’s death the heir in question was cross-legged on the floor of his and his brothers’ suite, agonizing over his plan of attack. The board was awash in Alvish armor, and the clackers were facing annihilation. About fourteen minutes and seven seconds after Gildomir’s death, he found his out.

“These two fleets attack E7,” he muttered, moving the bronze figurines into position.

His cousin snorted. “Why? You’re still fucked.”

“Hush, you’ll wake up Persi.” He looked up with a glint in his eye. “Well, we going to roll the battle or what?”

Dalfindir won easily.

“Well good job, you took one victory – ” he trailed off as he gazed at the board.

“You forgot about Thalag. Which means now you’re fucked,” Dalfi breathed, trying to contain laughter.

The two were playing The Last Empire, a rather complicated wargame based on the novel of the same name. In the book, Alvia faces a war with an insectoid alien race known only as the Clackers, ruled by a host of Queens in a hivemind. The Alvish are saved by a boy genius who is tricked by the Alvish military into wiping out the Clackers – or so the story goes. In the game, Dalfindir played as the Clackers, and his cousin Tassimir played as Alvia.

“You have to be cheating somehow,” Taz said, scanning the board. His largest fleets were too far away from Thalag to protect it, and Dalfi was poised to destroy its skeleton defenses.

“No, it’s just experience. I’m better.”

“Shut up.” Taz rolled back on his heels, letting out a sustained sigh. “Fuck me. I can’t kill your fleets in time, I don’t think.”

“Well, it’ll help even the odds a bit when they attack Thalag. But yes, you’re screwed.”

“Alright, let’s roll it then.”

The rolls were interrupted.

“Highnesses! Wha – ” Through the doorway was Gerwig, one of the former Zaesir’s most trusted butlers. “You’re supposed to be asleep!”

“We will be! Soon,” Dalfi said, moving towards his bed. “Uh, Taz is sleeping in here – ”

Gerwig shook his head. “Nevermind that, come with me. Your great-grandfather has passed.”

“What?” Taz sprung to his feet. “When?”

“Only in the last hour. Come with me, the family is gathered.”

The walk to the Zaesir’s bedchamber was oddly long and winding, and Gerwig was oddly nervous and sheened in sweat. Dalfi and Taz looked to each other, a sleepy Persi stumbling along behind them.

“Uh, where are we going?” Dalfi finally spoke up. They came to a back staircase, hidden behind innumerable peeling hallways.

Gerwig rounded on them. “Listen to me carefully. There is a coup underway. Therian soldiers are overtaking Rhapsel. Your family is currently held hostage in the imperial bedchamber.”

Dalfi felt his heart drop into his stomach. “What?”

“You must escape. They are going to use you as leverage. His Majesty built this staircase a few years ago as an escape route if his guards ever turned on him. There should be a hangar below the water, with an escape craft. One of you can pilot, right?”

Dalfi looked to Taz, who was shaking. “Uh, I’ve had lessons, but – ”

“Good! Go, now!” He threw open the door with his shoulder.

“Halt!” There came a booming voice down the corridor, accompanied by several warning shots. Gerwig shrieked and ducked into the stairway: Dalfi and Taz pulled Persi through with them.

“Alright, new plan, I will do the piloting. Follow me.” Gerwig rushed down the steps, with the three Kaisthurms rushing to keep up. Persi cried that he wanted his mother.

They only made it one level down before they encountered more Therians. They had anticipated the escape route.

“Halt!”

The imperial bedchamber was chaos. Therian mercenaries had already ransacked the place, tipping over fine furniture and ripping up the thick red carpets in search of treasures. Some of the bribed Guardsmen joined in, and they knew where to look: behind certain paintings, under the imperial dressers, and inside the pipes feeding the imperial baths.

Thirteen Kaisthurm princes were handcuffed in two rows, kneeling before raised rifles. Behind the mercenaries, Lo’vala paced the room and muttered to herself. Ingald calmly rested himself upon one of the imperial chairs, thickly cushioned in red and gold velvet.

“Lo’vala, quit your pacing.”

“Why haven’t they returned yet?” She rounded on Ingald. “You paid them off, didn’t you? You don’t want us to have the children, that would be too – ”

“Check your tongue, Lo’vala,” Ingald growled. “I have done no such thing. Rhapsel is a big place.”

All the while the former Zaesir, his face withered and gray, laid peacefully under the covers of his elephantine bed, his eyes closed to the violence around him.

Lo’vala returned to her pacing. “How is the battle?”

“Successful. The few remaining loyal Guardsmen have been trapped across a few different offices.”

“And the fleets?”

“They are still clueless. I have our demands prepared.”

Lo’vala stopped abruptly at Gildomir’s bedside. She laid her hands over his, taking a few deep, shuddering breaths. “So this is the monster that tortured my mother.”

“He was merely an effective politician, Lo’vala. Your mother was not.”

Her jaw clenched, but she kept her tongue. “He really trusted you?”

Ingald laughed. “He didn’t trust anyone. He had no choice but to rely on me. He was quite the dogged boss, I must say.” Ingald retrieved a smoking pipe from his robes. “However, he grew complacent in power. He never expected House Azach would ally Therians.”

Lo’vala spit on the corpse’s face. “Well, his mistake, our reward.”

Just as she spoke the doors burst open, and the captives were frog-marched into the room. Lo’vala loosed a sigh of relief.

“Excellent.” She strode over to the captives. “This one betrayed us?”

“Yes, Majesty.” She turned her gaze to Gerwig, who at last managed to straighten and cease his shivering.

“My loyalties are not for sale, Highness,” He whispered.

“Shame, that. You would’ve been rich.” She drew her sidearm and shot him in the forehead. Then she turned her attention to the Kaisthurms.

Dalfi was staring at the ground, his energies focused on keeping himself from collapsing in fear. Taz returned her gaze. Persi was sobbing into his nightshirt.

“Brave boy, this one.” She smiled at Taz, then turned back to her mercenaries. “These are the last ones?”

“Yes, Majesty.”

“Good. Take them upstairs, with the others.” She strode over to the floor-to-ceiling windows that offered the Zaesir a stunning view of the waters and islands scattered to the west of Rhapsel. Quickly she shot them all out, inviting in the terrified screams of the Kaisthurms held in the garden above.

“Alright! Ondivald, you were Nausir to Gildomir for the last years of his reign. Please step forward!”

Dalfi’s father was pulled forward by two mercenaries, his eyes red-rimmed and couched in bags. Lo’vala did not face him, but kept her eyes on the islands in the distance.

“You are a witch,” Ondivald muttered as he was brought to kneel behind her.

“Alaxir Dalfindir has not come of age, therefore you are still his legal caretaker. He is clearly unfit to rule the Imperium, and possesses no legitimate claim, as his predecessor, Gildomir, was a criminal usurper. You are therefore legally obliged to relinquish his claim.”

Ondivald laughed. “Why the pretensions, Lo’vala? The Therians are a stupid people, they’ll accept a bloody coup without them.”

For this insult he enjoyed a rifle butt to the side of his head. Lo’vala swiveled, thrust her face into his.

“You should remember that we have your children upstairs,” she hissed.

“Fine,” Ondivald grunted, looking away. Another scream echoed from upstairs, rattling the elders below. “It is relinquished.”

“Please look into the camera.” She took a small iris-reader from a soldier and held it in front of his face. A blue light flashed across his eyes, and then the machine beeped happily.

“The paperwork is completed!” She grinned wildly. “Now, you must excuse me, as I have a session of the Volthaug that I must attend. I expect it will be quite exciting.”

“What about the children?” Ondivald could not hide the fear in his eyes.

“Ah, them. Well, my soldiers have prepared a show for you. Although, it is mostly an auditory show. They are the stars.” She whistled into her wrist, and moments later, a blood-curdling shriek rang out from the upstairs garden. One of the kneeling parents began to scream.

“No! Not Arosie! Please!” The woman leapt to her feet, but was quickly beaten back down by her captors.

Ondivald was shaking. “Look, we’ve given you – ”

Lo’vala smiled. “You see, House Dadanos owes you a favor. It has owed this favor for seven long years, ever since the crowning of that cretinous old man on the bed. We’re making our payment now.” She pushed him aside and began striding towards the door. “We’d like to restart our rule with a clean sheet, you see.”

“Lo’vala!” Ingald bellowed, stood, and blocked her way out. “This is unnecessary. Order your soldiers to cease.”

She had not stopped smiling. “I told you, I’m repaying a debt.”

Ingald sneered. “This childish quest for revenge is not becoming of you.”

“You know nothing of me,” she growled.

“He killed Vosmir that night too. Yet am I consumed by juvenile vengeance?” He placed a hand on her shoulder. “Discipline yourself, Lo’vala. If the Houses, or the Alvish people, hear of torture, you will not keep your throne.”

“The Alvish people tortured and raped my mother.” She thrust him aside, and the fragile old man suddenly realized that he was surrounded mostly by Therian mercenaries. “They are brutal creatures. I don’t think they’ll mind a bit of extra bloodshed.”

The third generation of Kaisthurms after Gildomir were often called “the children,” despite the fact that the oldest among them was approaching his 30s. On this rather calm night they had all been gathered in the open-air gardens above the Zaesir’s apartment.

Well, gathered is perhaps not the correct word. Really they were dispersed in a massive crowd of mercenaries and guardsmen, laughing, drinking, and firing into the air in celebration. They had been ordered to ‘have fun’ by the new Zaeserin herself, Lo’vala III.

Dalfi, Taz and Persi were dragged through the manic crowds to the very edge of the gardens, where only a railing of reinforced glass stood between the visitor and the long drop to the sea below. The three Kaisthurms were made to kneel behind a rather stout Therian figure hunched over a table, which had been brought up from the apartments below. Beside him crouched some unfamiliar beast, six-legged with thick fur and long fangs. It did not acknowledge the new visitors.

“So! I have heard tell you are trained as a psion, young Dalfi. Moreover, as your family follows the Schismatist doctrine, you have taken implants, no?” The Therian did not turn around as he spoke.

Dalfi’s teeth were clattering. Persi was sobbing. Taz was ashen and silent. Roughly half of the Kaisthurm children had been found, and even now the soldiers had begun their entertainments. To one side Dalfi caught a glimpse of his cousin Arosie, who had already been stripped half-naked.

“Y-yes.” He mumbled. The next moment his chains finally broke open. He had been working on them since his capture, utilizing the flamethrower implants in his fingertips, slowly burning them away.

“Good! I’ve been wanting to – ” He cut off as lightning leapt from Dalfi’s wrists and electrocuted the two mercenaries holding his shoulders. With a panicked scream he leapt to his feet and dashed for the stairs, rubbing his wrists together to prepare another discharge.

Before he’d made it ten yards the Therian beast launched itself at him. A hot, snarling sixty-pound weight dropped on his shoulders, digging its claws into his chest, back, and face. He was thrown forwards onto the dirt, screaming as his body erupted in pain, and the creature closed its mouth around his neck, but did not bite.

Three long gashes had appeared across the left side of his head, and many more across his body, consuming his mind so much he hardly noticed his arms being pulled apart and pinned down by startled soldiers.

“I told you imbeciles, you have to separate his arms! I told you twice! Move out of my way!” Through the pain Dalfi felt someone clasp a steel band around his left hand. “This will block his large gill, just avoid his fingertips and you’ll be fine.”

The voice belonged to the Therian man from the table. The beast remained impossibly still, its teeth brushing Dalfi’s throat. He twisted his head to the right and opened the eye that was not smothered in blood. “W-what – ”

The man crouched in his face. “Hush, young one. You will need your throat tonight.” He disappeared, and Dalfi caught Taz’s worried yells from behind him before they abruptly cut off. “You may be wondering who I am.”

Dalfi did not respond, trying to calm his breathing. His heart hammered the dirt through his shirt, and every small movement set his wounds alight.

“You see, Therians have been struggling to replicate your species’ natural psionic gifts for many years.” He appeared in Dalfi’s view again, crouching near his right hand, partially blocked by the soldier that sat on his arm. “We have come far. Already we have created synthetic versions of the glands you are born with, allowing us to replicate your pheromonal control over lesser animals.” He raised his head and smiled. “Like you, we have begun modifying our pets as well, to respond more perfectly to these secretions. The adorable creature on your back is a testament to our progress.”

Roughly he twisted Dalfi’s right hand upwards, and clamped a brace over his wrist, which he drilled into the ground. “G-g-get off!”

“Don’t burn me, or Ozzi will tear your throat out,” he growled. Dalfi shut his eyes.

“W-what are you doing?”

He dug through a pouch attached to his belt and retrieved a few small metal instruments. “Well, as I said, we have created synthetic versions of your pheromonal glands. However, the technology behind your electromagnetic and thermal implants remain closely-guarded church secrets.” His face returned to an excited smile. “So, I am here to conduct research. Be forewarned, however, that your implants are very sensitive, so there may be some discomfort.”

Each of Dalfi’s hands and arms had been encrusted with organic implants: one in both wrists, and two in both hands. The electromagnetic ones rested in his wrists, just below his veins and arteries, protected by layers of skin and muscle. However, his thermal implants, due to the nature of fire, were near the surface of his hands. His fingertips held millions of microscopic pinpricks, which together could emit small but potent fires. Secondly, running vertically down the middle of his palms were long gills, through which he could emit far greater quantities of flame. These were the so-called “flamethrower” implants. And these were the targets of the Therian’s research.

Without another word he plunged a small needle through the delicate membranes, piercing one of the roiling glands underneath. Dalfi did not stop screaming for two hours thereafter.

1. Taken from the poem "O Fortuna," part of the Carmina Burana manuscript.
Last edited by Nerotysia on Wed Aug 05, 2020 1:51 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:24 pm

Fate - monstrous
and empty,
you whirling wheel,
you are malevolent,
well-being is in vain
and always fades to nothing,
shadowed
and veiled
you plague me too;
now through the game
I bring my bare back
To your villainy.

Gozich, Capital of Alvia
518 years after the Chaos

The Palace of Kintsel was two colossal marble towers jutting into the night sky, crusted in gold. Before it had been a monument to the wealth and opulence of the Imperium. Now, it was a ghostly building, still tainted with memories of blood and death, untouched by anyone but the maintenance staff for years. Lo’vala knew she would have to return there. She simply knew it.

Ingald had brought two personal bodyguards along with him this time, high-ranking officers in the Rhapsel Guard. For her part Lo’vala had taken to traveling with about half-a-dozen Therian soldiers.

The two were seated in the uppermost apartments of the Palace, the imperial bedrooms, where Lo’vala’s mother had suffered and died on that fateful night. When she arrived Lo’vala immediately fell onto her mother’s former bed and quietly sobbed. Then she fell asleep. Ingald was not amused, but took the time to prepare a cup of Mangel water, an expensive drink of the upper-class, using his bodyguards to fetch materials. He finally woke her up several hours later, when decisions needed to be made.

“I have negotiated with the Kaisthurm starfleet. They are willing to accept our terms.” Ingald had settled himself at a squat dresser, turning it into a makeshift desk. “They will return to the Clōve and dismantle part of their fleet, so long as the safety of our hostages is guaranteed.”

“Ah, good,” Lo’vala muttered, rubbing sleep out of her eyes. “So, our fleets have assembled, I presume?”

Ingald sipped a cup of his special water. “Yes. The Azach fleet approaches from the galactic west, and the Dadanoi from the east.”

“Excellent.” She rested herself on one of the plush purple sofas. “So, they are outnumbered, correct? Or have they been reinforced?”

“No, they are outnumbered.”

“Wonderful.” Her contact lenses turned on, and before long, she was speaking to the Dadanoi admiral.

“Highness! We have assumed a holding position – ”

“Nevermind that. Launch the assault now.”

Ingald spit out his water. “What!?”

“Are you sure, Highness?”

“Yes.” Briskly she closed the channel and examined Ingald. “You make your decision now. Do you stand with the rightful Zaeserin, or with the traitors?”

“Lo’vala, what the hell is this? This was not how we planned – ”

“House Kaisthurm is a house of traitors.”

“This is idiotic. We cannot afford another war. Order your fleets to halt immediately!”

Lo’vala’s lips were flat. Her eyes lacked expression. “House Kaisthurm is a house of – ”

“You are a child, then. You are an overgrown child. I cannot work with children.” Ingald stood.

Lo’vala flicked her head, and two of her men shifted in front of the doors. “Order your fleets to join mine. They must be destroyed, or they will retaliate.”

“Your mother tried to be an autocrat, Lo’vala.” Ingald’s mouth twisted in disgust. “I see you are deluded by the same foolish ideas.” She noticed that he had turned his lenses on.

“Ingald, the Kaisthurms cannot survive. They will retaliate.”

Ingald blew out a frustrated sigh. “Destruction of the Kaisthurms would require a totalistic, annihilating war such that the Imperium has never seen before. The kind of war that would destroy all of us. If you are such an imbecile that you don’t realize this, then I reiterate, you are a child, and this partnership is over.”

Lo’vala stood. “House Dadanos is also possessed of my attitude.”

“Then House Dadanos is also full of children.” Ingald stepped towards the doors, his bodyguards closing rank around him. “I’m leaving, Lo’vala. More Guardsmen are on their way.”

The moments stretched into a minute. A bead of sweat formed at Ingald’s neckline. Finally, she nodded to her soldiers, and they stepped aside.

“House Dadanos will fight them alone, then. I do hope this disagreement doesn’t affect our partnership.”

Ingald’s jaw clenched. “Look for me in the Volthaug. The votes will come. I shall do what is necessary, as I always do.”

As he left the first flashes of battle lit up the night sky. War had finally returned to Gozich.

Hestor's Nest, Free Miner City
Within the Kest System, Part of the Outer Rim Confederacy

Bitter cold. Ice dusted in snow. Glint of sunlight across the lake. No cracks. He was cross-legged. The Last Empire, he was playing Arosie. She’d gone. Why’d she go? Where’d she go? Look up and around. There she is! Naked. Utterly naked. She smiles. Avert your eyes. Her body is slicked in blood. Her body is pebbled with bits of torn flesh. Cracks crawl outwards from her feet. The cracks approach. You cannot move. Your body drops into the frigid water and –

Dalfi’s eyes shot open and his whole body was shot through with pain. He attempted to groan but did not find his voice. I want someone to amputate my hand right now or else he screamed before he finished the thought. Rather, he attempted to scream.

“Dalfi?” A familiar voice. He tilted his head to the side. He realized he was sitting propped against a hard surface.

“Taz?” Tassimir approached his face. His cousin did not look well. Bruises bulged on his cheekbones, dried blood clung to his hair, and his right eye was covered by a torn strip of white fabric.

“Are you, er, okay?” Taz blinked rapidly as he spoke. Dalfindir studied him intently, as if trying to determine who he was.

“What happened to your eye?” It was very hot. Stifling. Dalfi shifted and his back complained.

“Uh, well, I hadn’t taken out my lenses when Gerwig arrived.” His smile was weak, but it was there. “And, er, the soldiers noticed.”

Finally Dalfi’s thoughts began to coalesce through the pain. “Where are we? I thought – ”

“Yeah, I thought they’d kill us too.” Taz grunted and moved to kneel in front of Dalfi. “But I guess they didn’t. Is your hand okay?”

“Uh.” Dalfi cast his eyes downward. His right hand lay limp in his lap. What appeared to be an open pair of lips looked back at him, choked with blood and torn skin. “It hurts. A lot.”

“I didn’t know what to do. Hann is out looking for food and bandages, but,” Taz’s voice cracked, his eyes glistening. “We don’t know w-where we are, Dalfi. There’s no Alvish anywhere. It’s all – alien.”

Dalfi’s mind was slow as a butter churn. “Um. Okay. Are we in a city?” His eyes wandered around. They sat within what looked to be the husk of a vast cargo freighter, so large that the opposite wall was shrouded in darkness. It appeared to be mostly upright, and the Kaisthurms were clearly inside the storage area. They were lit only by the glow of the sun, which flowed in through the half-closed cargo doors nearby.

“No, it seems like we’re in the rundown part of some starport.” He looked to the outside, which was dotted with the abandoned skeletons of old starships, throwing vast spidery shadows onto the ground below, which appeared to be concrete. “There’s a city nearby though. That’s where Hann is going.”

“Who is with us?” Dalfi looked around in a sudden panic. “Where’s Persi?”

“He’s over there.” Dalfi’s young brother was curled in a ball nearby. His shoes were missing, but otherwise he seemed untouched. “There was only the four of us when I woke up.”

“What?” Dalfi sucked in a breath as pain spiked from his hand. Don’t you dare move that hand, young man. “W-what about the others?”

Taz shook his head. “We don’t know.”

“It’s only us, then.” Dalfi chewed his lip. “Only the heirs?”

“What?”

Dalfi’s eyes had regained some of their focus. “Well, your grandfather was the original heir, and you guys were presumed to be somewhere in the line of succession after him, given your rankings. And then there is myself and my brother. It’s only the heirs.”

Taz blinked, sat back on his heels. “Huh. Maybe it was intentional?”

Dalfi groaned. “I don’t know. Fuck me.” He attempted to slide his butt leftwards, to get closer to his brother, gritting his teeth against the pain. His plan was not successful. He bit off a tearstained growl.

“You’re going to have to get up eventually,” Taz muttered, looking around the space. “Is it your hand?”

“Yes, primarily.” Dalfi looked at his face again. “Where’d you get that cloth over your eye?”

“Oh, Hann cut his shirtsleeve off.” Taz got to his feet and retrieved a broken piece of glass to Dalfi’s left. “That gives me an idea, actually.”

About thirty minutes later Dalfi’s shirt had been torn into three strips of fabric. The largest they wrapped around his upper body, covering the gashes from the animal. The smallest they wrapped around his pulsating hand, which they also trapped against his chest with the final loop of fabric. Dalfi nearly ground his teeth to nubs trying not to scream as his body was manipulated, but in the end it was a comfortable setup.

“Well.” Hann sat back to admire his handiwork. “That went well.”

Dalfi was still trying to calm his breathing. “Yeah, easy for you to say.” Taz chuckled.

Suddenly a long Alvish shadow appeared in the doorway. Taz nearly broke into tears again: the two brothers hugged before Hann spoke.

“The city’s behind some sort of customs barrier. I didn’t want to try and go through. I also didn’t find any more water-cookies or spray. But, look what I did find!” From his pockets he pulled two handfuls of alien berries. Taz eagerly ripped one of the stacks from his grasp, and Hann laughed, carefully pouring the other bunch into Dalfi’s lap.

“Hann, I forgive you,” Taz sputtered through a mouthful of berry flesh.

Hann laughed. “For what?” He stepped towards Persi and nudged his shoulder.

“For the next stupid thing you do. I forgive you for that.” Taz crumpled to a seat next to Dalfi, a happy burp slipping through his lips.

“He’s not awake yet, I don’t think,” Dalfi said between mouthfuls, nodding towards Persi.

“Well, he needs to wake up.” Hann turned back to them with a giddy smile. “There’s basically a whole city of shipping crates nearby, and it’s basically unguarded!”

Taz grunted. “Wow! Shipping crates? In a starport!? Fuck me, this place is weird.” Dalfi laughed.

“Shut up. You don’t get it, we can hide ourselves inside one!” He was practically hopping up and down. “We have to get out of this place anyway. Then maybe we can negotiate with – ”

“Alright, you’ve used up your free apology,” Taz interjected. “That’s stupid. Whoever owns it will shoot us soon as they see us, because we look like street urchins.”

“Really, we are street urchins at the moment.” Dalfi said.

Hann furrowed his brow. “What? No, we’ll just negotiate for them to take us back to Alvia.”

“Hann, if you discovered street urchin stowaways in your cargo ship, would you negotiate with them?”

Hann blinked. “Well, I guess, why not? If I had princes on board – ”

“Hann, they won’t know or care who we are.”

Hann placed a hand on his chin. “Well, we can simply promise them – ”

Taz turned his head to Dalfi. “Can I have your brother instead? I think mine’s broken.”

“Boys, listen, listen.” Hann’s eyes were glistening. “Nevermind that. Inside this one crate, there’s hundreds of these berries. Hundreds.”

And so, the decision was made.

1. Taken from the poem "O Fortuna," part of the Carmina Burana manuscript.
Last edited by Nerotysia on Sun Sep 02, 2018 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meriad
Spokesperson

Founded: May 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Meriad » Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:26 pm

Jaff Starport, Hestor's Nest, Kest system
Free Miner Space, Outer Rim Confederacy
10:40, 1973.8.3, Revised Standard Year

"Muevanse! We don't have all day!" Rodrigo Hernán de las Campanas' voice carried clearly over the hubbub of the spaceport, punching through the white noise of the idle chatter of the workers, the steely slams of the shipping crates, and the occasional roar of rocket engines as a shuttle lifted off from the the cargo facility. The sun was already high in the sky, having peeked up over the distant mountains on the western horizon almost five hours ago, but the air was still chilly, biting at whatever skin was exposed. De las Campanas was careful to keep as much of his fair skin covered as possible, well aware of the rather startling effect the sun's UV rays could have on skin accustomed to the artificial light of a starship.

Despite the urging of the quartermaster, the cargo handlers continued to chatter as they transferred the containers from the cargo lorries to the gaping cargo door of the rented shuttle, but were conscious enough to set them squarely aligned with the grid of thin tiedown girders that would keep the cargo from floating off once the shuttle was in orbit. De las Campanas muttered several quaint obscenities beneath his breath and leapt down from his perch atop the cargomaster's stand. He made his way to the lowered ramp of the shuttle, dodging through the ant-like line of cargo handlers, and strolled through the dark interior of the shuttle towards the bow. Leaning his head through the narrow door, he watched his two compadres, Henry Sterling and Francis de las Campanas, as they worked through the lengthy startup checklist on the shuttle.

Sterling, who had married into the family as Rodrigo's second cousin, muttered under his breath as he scanned the checklist, pointing out various switches and computers for his younger copilot to adjust. Sterling was the oldest person on the three-man resupply team, and had been making this journey every planetside stop for the last thirty-seven years, give or take a run when one of his children was born or, more recently, had been married off to another family. He caught a glimpse of Rodrigo in a reflection off the bolbous canopy, and glanced over his broad shoulder. "Don't you have your hormigas to be looking after, hermano?", he asked, smiling slightly.

Rodrigo returned the smile and shrugged. "Ah, you know how it is; they load when they load, they break when they break, and they won't hear a word you have to say about it. How's the puddlejumper?"

"No worse than the one they rented us last summer. Which is to day, barely flyable and totally untrustworthy. With the price they charge for an orbital hop, you'd expect chrome and leather interiors and an onboard AI." Francis, more than twenty years Sterling's junior, smiled at this; he was used to his companion badmouthing the Port Authority's rental shuttles, but had little experience flying anything other than the pot bellied freight haulers than they used to ferry supplies from the markets on the surface up to their vessel in orbit. Before marrying into the family, Sterling had been a pilot with one of the most influential free miner consortiums, a group of nine large families that collectively owned over a dozen ships and could afford to store their own cargo shuttles either in the port or in a hangar aboard a ship. The De las Campanas family had no such luxuries, a fact Sterling had been fully aware when he chose to move out of the big leagues for love, and yet he never ceased to jab his family, friends, and shipmates about his more affluent past.

"How much longer do you need, hermano?" Rodrigo asked, checking his watch. The launch window for intercepting the Tortuga was fast approaching, and he didn't want to wait another eighty-two minutes for the sharship to circle around the planet one more time.

"Round about ten minutes, Rod. Can you get everything shipshape back there by then?"

"Ojalá que sí," Rodrigo replied, giving his pilot a pat on the shoulder and turning to exit the cockpit. He slipped down the narrow gaps between long rows of shipping crates to the low rectangle of light eighty feet back from the cockpit, and squinted as he emerged into the sun once more. Only ten or twelve containers remained on the tarmac, and the half-dozen cargo handlers made surprisingly quick work of stowing them in the cargo hold and latching them to the floor. Their foreman walked up the ramp, gave the last row of containers a cursory once-over, spat out a long string of words in some language the cargomaster didn't recognize, and gestured for Rodrigo to pay the bill. He did so, swiping a small black plate over the foreman's tablet before returning it to the recesses of his pocket. Satisfied, the foreman gestured to his crew, and all six turned away and started the long walk back towards the starport's offices.

Starport was an elegant way to term the Jaff complex. Many square kilometers of concrete stretched away to the west from where De las Campanas stood, dotted by shuttles and low buildings in various stages of repair. Beyond the far end of the starport from the independent mining docks was Hestor's Nest, the "city" that gave the planet its name. It's bars, nightclubs, and back alleys were a haven for mining crews enjoying their short periods of shore leave, reveling in genuine gravity before another eight-month stint with nothing by centrifuges, magnetic trickery, and the occasional artificial gravity to hold them to the floor. Between the city and the starport lay the customs highway, a picket line of large buildings, scanning devices, and fences designed to keep the city separated from whatever illicit material passed through the starport. While the Port Authority had little control over what their guests brought onto the planet, they did their best to make sure that anything illegal or undesirable left again in short order without coming into contact with the 75 million people in the city.

Immediately before the customs border were the corporate landing pads, extensive and coveted stretches of pristine concrete where the ORC's various megacorporations and trillionaires condicted their business. Officially, most of the largest corporations were prohibited from operating anything more grandiose than small shipping offices in the starport, but through various shell companies, puppet firms, and because of the Port Authority's proven willingness to turn a blind eye for a pretty penny, few cared to make a stink about their presence. In practice, the corporations' physical presence was far more symbolic than anything else; few corporate ships ever used the expanses of concrete, as they already walked a thin line between aggravated tolerance and outright loathing with many of the free miners. Most of the starport's traffic came from people like De las Campanas: small free miner families or consortiums, landing for shore leave or to resupply their ships before heading back out to the various asteroid fields to mine their fortunes.

On either side of the cargo door, the shuttle's main engines hissed and slowly sputtered to life, gradually building to a steady roar. Taking one last look at the sun, Rodrigo pulled the yellow-and-black-striped handle to his right and the wide ramp slowly closed, sealing out the light of the sun. He turned and carefully made his way down the rows of containers towards the cockpit, fingers brushing over the seals that dangled from the containers. He distractedly noted that the latch on one container was only barely turned, and he gave it a firm twist closed. From somewhere past him came the sound of a vaguely mechanical, vaguely human squeal, but Rodrigo registered neither that sound nor the shipping container's missing seal as he hurried to strap himself into his jumpseat for takeoff.

Mining Ship Tortuga
Kest system, Free Miner Space, Outer Rim Confederacy
15:38, 1973.8.3, Revised Standard Year

With a groan, Rodrigo and his three companions slid the last shipping crate into it's slim cradle on the hangar floor. He straightened and stretched his back, glancing back to where several groups of men and women were slowly working their way between the rows of containers, cataloguing everything and earmarking them for storage in various parts of the ship. He watched as his younger brother Francis and Henry Sterling slowly cycled through the airlock to get back aboard the ship, returning from their errand of returning the rented shuttle to the spaceport far below where he now stood. They had taken the ground-to-orbit Ballistic Elevator back up from the surface, a harrowing ride that took many repetitions to fully get used to. Even with the aid of the artificial gravity, the sizable G-forces of the metal capsule being flung from the electromagnetic catapult into orbit was enough to make even the most imposing miner pass out like a baby, and the deceleration of the capsule at the orbital transfer station was something that Rodrigo did not envy his colleagues.

With all of the Tortuga's complement of two hundred and twelve aboard, all related via blood, marriage, or adoption, the ship ignited it's engines, and Rodrigo shifted his weight slightly to compensate for the slight acceleration. For the next three weeks, everyone walking towards the bow of the ship would feel like they were walking up a slight incline, despite the comparatively state-of-the-art artificial gravity system that some of Rodrigo's more theoretically-minded relatives had cooked up in the ship's onboard lab. While it only amounted to around 1/2 of a G, the gravity was enough to keep the crew of the ship at least in token shape for planetary excursions, minus the weeks of time spent in the exercise and centrifuge rooms to fully acclimatize to the full pull of gravity.

Now that he was back aboard the ship, Rodrigo remembered just how much gravity made him uncomfortable. He, like 70% of the Tortuga's inhabitants, had been born aboard this ship, and had lived on reduced Gs for most of his life. Another 25% had been born on other ships, each with its own system to keep its crew in shape. Only eleven people aboard the Tortuga had been born aboard a planet, and four of those had left to live in space within a year of their births. The De las Campanas family was truly a family rooted in space, as most only felt genuinely comfortable when aboard their home, office, factory, and world, the Tortuga.

"¡Rodrigo! ¡Venga aquí!" De las Campanas was pulled from his thoughts by the sound of his name being called. He turned and hopped down the row of containers to one of the trios of people working their way between crates, and caught himself beside them.

"¿Sí, mamá? What's the issue?", he asked, glancing over the shiny aluminium container that was the subject of his mother's scrutiny.

"This crate does not have a seal, and there are perishable goods inside." Rodrigo leaned forwards to glimpse the handle around the corner and saw that she was correct; the red seal that marked the handle on every other crate in the cargo hold was missing.

"I thought I saw something with one of the crates as we were taking off," he mused, shaking his head. "I bet one of the cargo handlers snuck off with something as a little bonus. Open it and see if everything is still there?"

His mother, Ciruela de las Campanas, nodded and complied, giving the handle a sharp twist and pulling the lid open. Rodrigo saw her take a step back, and the mouth of one of the other two people slackened ever so slightly. Warily, Rodrigo stepped around the corner of the container, half expecting to find some lewd message scrawled across the metal inside. What he saw instead shocked him.

Beyond a small pile of berries and torn white plastic wrappers sat four small forms, two backed up against each wall, with dark, matted hair. The two closest to the now-open door squinted at the light, and one raised a hand to block the light. The other tried to raise his right arms against the light, but grimaced and squinted tighter.

"¡Madre de Diós!", Rodrigo's mother breathed, her hand dropping to her side. The boy on the right closest to the door shifted slightly, revealing the vomit stain running down the side of his shirt, and tried to speak; only a croak came out. Ciruela turned to the young girl standing next to her; "Rosita, run and get us some water, would you? And tell your papá to come down here immediately." The girl turned and ran toward a pair of doors on the closest wall, taking one last astonished look over her shoulder. Ciruela looked at Rodrigo and mouthed "Be nice!" before crouching down in front of of the open door.

"My name is Ciruela, I'm not going to hurt you. You are safe here. What is your name?" This she addressed to the one boy who had tried to speak. The other three looked sufficiently terrified and exhausted to let him do whatever talking needed to be done.

The boy glanced warily between the faces of the three people standing outside the container, and then returned his gaze to Ciruela. He swallowed, seeming to understand the question despite the language barrier. "Hannivald auf schkaus och," he said in a surprisingly clear voice, given his appearance.

Ciruela nodded, obviously relieved that he could understand her in some fashion, even if at a very shallow level. "Hello, Hannivald," she said, looking over the four people once more. She raised her eyebrows at the array of cuts, bruises, and makeshift bandages that the quartet sported between them, and then looked back at the apparent spokesperson of the group. "May we take you and your friends to our sickbay? I promise we will keep all four of you together, and explain anything we do to you." Hannivald furrowed his brow, obviously not understanding what Ciruela had just said, so she pointed in succession to the number of cuts and bruises that the quartet shared between them, and mimed stitching a wound closed. This seemed to convey the right idea, as the young man's face cleared slightly and he nodded once. By now ten additional people had gathered in a group behind her, a mix of men and women who muttered uneasily amongst themselves. Ciruela turned and gestured at them, and a young woman with long, dark hair stepped forwards to the edge of the container.

"Hola. I am Annie." She extended her hand to Hannivald, who cautiously took it and allowed himself to be gently pulled upright. Three additional people followed suit, and soon a slow procession of exhausted stowaways, cautious caretakers, and onlookers was making its way towards the sickbay. Ciruela made to follow them, but Rodrigo extended a hand to stop her.

"Mother, I do not like this," he said carefully. "We need to get them off of our ship as soon as possible. Stowaways are only trouble, no matter how innocent they look. Who knows who they may be working for."

Ciruela grimaced, and shook her head. "Rodrigo, I am a mother, and these children need help. I will help them first, and then you, your grandfather, and the council can decide whether to space them or not. Now, if you please!" She turned and followed the steadily growing line of people that had now reached the doorway in the hangar wall. Aboard the Tortuga, word travelled very quickly, and nothing served to excite the crew more than the discovery of stowaways.
Last edited by Meriad on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
THE KINGDOM OF MERIADTHE OUTER RIM CONFEDERACY (FT)
Ordic TechnocratMeriad on the Ordic Encyclopedia[CAUTION: Roleplaying Hivemind!]
Demonyms: Singular: Meriadni - Plural: Meriadnir - Noun: Meriadni

Meriad
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Meriad » Fri Aug 31, 2018 1:13 pm

Mining Ship Tortuga
16:40, 1973.8.4, Revised Standard Year

Hernán quietly opened the door of the sickbay and slipped inside, the bright lights of the hallway behind him momentarily casting a tall shadow on the inside wall of the dimly-lit white-walled room. He gently pushed the door shut, and stood still for a moment to let his eyes adjust to the dimly-lit room. The strips of lights recessed in the ceiling around the room’s perimeter shone dully, their yellow-white light lending the poorly-defined shadows an eery quality. On the far end of the long room, the four stowaways lay in their beds, vital signs monitored by a row of screens set in alcoves in the wall.

All four screens glowed a solid red, indicating the wild abnormalities of the four patients. Even though they seemed to be resting comfortably, what amounted to their heart rates were far slower than a healthy human, and the ship’s artificial intelligence was unfamiliar with Alvish physiology. Fortunately, Hernán, as the ship’s resident physician, had a stash of medical books squirrel away on a hard drive, and had been able to dredge up enough information to determine the the heart rate displayed on the screens was, in fact, perfectly healthy, and probably indicated that all four would make a fully recovery.

Probably was the operative word. While Hernán de las Campanas had operated on humans hundreds of times, and would even sew up a Kest in a pinch, he had never even seen an Alvish, much less tried to diagnose or operate on one. He had breathed a very deep sigh of relief when none of the four had needed any serious medical attention, aside from stitches, sutures, and some kind words, even if he hadn’t been understood.

Hernán walked quietly over to the foot of the first bed, and glanced over the readout on the screen. While for a human patient the vital signs displayed there would indicate a serious medical disaster, the Alvish boy seemed to be resting comfortably, and was well within the safe range that the book had described. Hernán moved on to the next bed, again assessing the boy’s vital signs. Once more, terrifyingly far removed from his perception of “healthy,” but seemingly indicative that the Alvish would make a full recovery. He looked up at the still form on the bed, and was startled to see that the boy was awake and looking back at him, his deep blue eyes studying the doctor carefully.

While surprised, Hernán still managed to smile reassuringly, and stepped to the side of the bed and sat at the low stool that pulled out from beneath it. “Hello,” he said, consciously keeping his voice level and his sentences as simple as possible. “I am Hernán,” he said, pointing to himself. “I am the doctor.” He pointed around at the sickbay in which they sat, and again pointed to himself.

The boy seated in the bed seemed to understand both of these gestures, and repeated, “Hernán”, his pronunciation affected by a rather noticeable accent which reminded Hernán of his second cousin by marriage, who had married into the family off of a Zossic free miner starship. The boy pushed himself a little straighter in the bed, and said “Hannivald auf schkaus och.” Hernán furrowed his brow, clueless as to what the young man had just said. The boy repeated the same statement again: “Hannivald auf schkaus och!” The helpless look writ large across Hernán’s face was obvious to the young man, who looked over at the next bed to the right. Following his gaze, Hernán saw that one of the other boys had woken up from his drug-induced slumber, and was apparently following what attempts at conversation were being made several feet away.

The first boy started to repeat the same phrase once more, but was swiftly interrupted by his companion; “Zau, dofcka!

The first boy obviously took some offense at this interjection, and an annoyed look crossed his face. Hernán turned to face the second boy, and repeated his name. The boy nodded, and then said, “Zom Alvund ach,” strongly stressing the second word and gesturing at himself and his companion.

This Hernán did understand from his book, the Alvish term for their own race. He nodded, and said “Alvish, yes.”

The boy smiled and nodded, and continued, “Ga Valckwampe sussach,” once again stressing the second word. Whatever meaning he hoped to convey with this was totally lost on Hernán, who simply shrugged helplessly.

The sound of the door behind him opening caused Hernán to turn, and he saw the silhouette of another person step through the door. He waited for his eyes to adjust once more to the low light, and then made out the sharply-defined features of the patriarch of the De las Campanas family, and captain of the Tortuga, Luciano Andrés Valentín de las Campanas, generally referred to by his extended family as Padre Luciano. The patriarch of the family wore all black, a sharp contrast to the silver hair atop his gradually balding head, and hie pair of old-fashioned rounded spectacles glinted in the low light.

Hernán stood, and walked over to where Luciano stood. “Luciano, these two are awake enough that they’re trying to speak.”

Luciano simply nodded, and stepped over to the foot of the two beds. He pointed at himself, and said, “Luciano.” He then pointed in succession to the two boys, who both looked at their new arrival with fascination. While he obviously had some authority from his stature and the way that Hernán had immediately broken off what he had been doing upon the patriarch’s entrance, neither had any familiarity with how the ship’s social structure was laid out.

The young man on the left spoke again, this time with just a single word: “Hannivald.”

The second boy followed suit; “Tassimir. Taz.” He then repeated his prior words, “Ga Valckwampe sussach,” once more stressing the second word, and using his hands to mime the action of speaking. Luciano seemed to understand, nodded, and walked to where another computer terminal was set into the wall.

As a ship that had been mining for six generations, the Tortuga was certainly aging, but her long tenure meant that there had been ample time to augment the rather basic design of the ship with a whole suite of new technology. One of these new additions was the ship’s onboard artificial intelligence, a model barely above baseline, but that was nonetheless almost unheard-of aboard a free miner starship. The computers and programming necessary for the AI had been purchased from a consortium of rather unsavory characters on the black market of New Eden, another free miner world far to the north-west, and had probably been stolen from some corporate software development subcontractor before being resold; The De las Campanas clan had known better than to ask about its history, and preferred to remain blissfully unaware of the corporate espionage that was always integrally involved in obtaining this sort of equipment.

The AI did have its uses, however, such as being able to communicate with servers and databases back on the free miner planets far faster than a human computer operator was able to do. This was the role Luciano assigned it now: “Santayana, please locate the language database at the Maktaba Library, and search it for ‘Valckwampe.’”

No sound emanated from the computer terminal, but Santayana was nonetheless hard at work, remotely accessing the local copy of the Great Library of Maktaba’s linguistics database back on Hestor’s Nest. The light speed lag was still quite reasonable compared to what it would be once the Tortuga arrived at the mining claim, but the four-minute round trip time was still an eternity for a computerized entity like the Tortuga’s resident AI.

A full five minutes later, Santayana spoke, the speakers emitting what sounded like a perfectly natural voice, tinged with a slight Castilian accent. “Valckwampe is primary language of the Alvish; I have taken the liberty of beginning a full download of the database’s content on that language, excluding localized slang and the more obscure dialects. It should take another two hours at this rate of transfer.”

“Ah, thank you, Santayana," Luciano said, straightening.

“What are we going to do with them, Padre?” Asked Hernán cautiously. Considering whatever the quartet had been through on Hestor’s Nest, he was reluctant to have them returned to a planet where they did not speak the language, know the customs, or, apparently, have any ability to survive independently.

Luciano sighed, glanced at the two boys, still looking at the two men, and then looked back at the doctor. “I don’t know yet. We will convene a meeting this afternoon to decide how to move forwards.” Hernán nodded. Luciano was a very thoughtful man, and would take no action without carefully considering the advice of the ship’s most important crewmen and his closest family members. Whatever happened, it would be in the best interest of the ship and, hopefully, the boys themselves.

Mining Ship Tortuga
13:15, 1973.8.4, Revised Standard Year

Outbound Text Message• • •Auth. Code #1739B9399

Origin: h.r.dlcampanas\\tortuga\\1782\\frmnr\\outrimconfed
Destination: m.sukenobu\\static\\10773100819\\horaisan\\empunifnats
Subject: Happy Birthday!
Timestamp: 39.15.13.05.08.1973

Oji Murata—

¡Feliz Cumpleaños! I can’t even believe that you’re already 65; it seems like only a couple of years ago when you used to toss me up into the air when we came to visit you, and I tried to grab pedals off of the cherry trees in your garden! I am confident that I speak for little Angél as well when I say that we love you, miss you, and hope to see you again soon.

We’ve been quite busy here aboard the Tortuga this last week. We spent up until yesterday finishing offloading the cargo on Hestor’s Nest and picking up new supplies. My goodness, resupplying is a hassle! María and José have decided that I should start shadowing them around when they’re purchasing new supplies, and I am in awe of the both of them. You would think that on a planet like Hestor’s Nest, the bureaucracy would be pretty manageable, but it felt like we were in the middle of corporate space! We had to get three licenses in order to get just one replacement part for the primary drill, so I can’t imaging what buying a whole new drill setup must be like!

Licenses aren’t the only exciting development of this week; we had only just left orbit yesterday when Rodrigo and Ciruela discovered four stowaways in one of the shipping containers that we had loaded aboard that morning! Marta says that they are Alvish, but all four of them are still sedated, so I guess we won’t know for sure until later this afternoon when they wake up and we can try to talk to them again. All four look like they got in some planet-side bar fight or something, and have maybe a dozen or two cuts and bruises between them. However they got aboard the ship, it seems like the risk of dying in space was smaller than whatever they were hiding from on Hestor’s Nest. We’re already leaving the system, so it looks like we’re stuck with them until we put back into Hestor for resupply in another nine months.

Anyway, enough about me. How are you, Aunt Oka, and little Tsuda doing? Father sent me a letter last week that said you were settling into your new job at the shipping company, but I haven’t heard anything since; I really hope that you are enjoying your new workplace, are putting all of your myriad of skills to good use. He also sent me a picture Tsuda in her brand new blue dress. She is so adorable, and looks just like her mother! You must be so proud of her!

Lots of love to you and the family, and please say hi to Inai for me!

Forever your little niece,

Hirayama de las Campanas
17937147 11283 1039991 771000381938 90183 AUE83 H27

Mining Ship Tortuga
16:40, 1973.8.4, Revised Standard Year

Perdón, ladies and gentlemen; we need to begin. The faster we can make a decision, the better.”

The swell of voices that had filled the Tortuga’s bridge slowly died away as the twenty-six people in the room took seats around the room, either in actual chairs or on the steps that led from the raised back of the room down to the front.

The Tortuga’s bridge was the most aesthetically thoughout place on the ship; from above, the floor plan would have looked like a squashed circle, with the widest ends pointing across the beam of the ship, one long wall facing towards the bow, and the other towards the rear of the ship. The front wall of the room was a distorted dome, rising vertically from the floor but gradually curving up and over the room to a height of around twenty feet. There, once flat, it ran towards the aft and ran up against the back wall.

The floor of the room was reminiscent of a terrestrial amphitheater, with slightly curved terraces of duty stations sloping down towards a flat area at the front, where Padre Luciano now stood. The members of the Tortuga’s ruling council sat around the room, either in the duty stations intended for the operation of various parts of the ship or simply seated in one of the three aisles that ran from the floor at the front to the raised walkway that bounded the rear wall of the room.

“We are here today to discuss the rather surprising events of yesterday afternoon, when four stowaways were discovered in an unsealed shipping container loaded onto the ship at Hestor’s Nest. Now, we still have been unable to have any meaningful communication with them as to why they are here, where they are from, and indeed anything more than their species and their names. Ana has assured me that we are working on a translation device that will allow us to actually hold a conversation with these young men, but for the time being, we need to come up with a course of action.

“So, allow me to outline our options. Firstly, we can take them with us to the claim, maybe put them to work once they have regained their health. This will, of course, cost us a good deal of food, water, and, most importantly, oxygen, and I’m not yet sure how much of our safety margin this would cost, and how short we would have to cut out run. Secondly, we could turn around. As you all know, we have stopped accelerating for the time being to preserve both fuel and the option of returning these stowaways to Hestor’s Nest, although Marta says that this will come with a rather considerable cost in terms of fuel consumption.” The ship’s chief engineer nodded, accompanied by a slight grimace. Fuel for the ship’s thirsty engines was an expensive but very necessary commodity, and she hated using a drop more than was necessary.

“Or thirdly, we could let them go for a swim.” This suggestion was accompanied by a murmur of discomfort from around the room. Luciano held up his hands; “I’m not recommending any of these actions, just stating our options. I want to hear your opinions, so that we can make an informed decision.” He stepped back slightly, and took a seat in the one chair that sat at the front of the room.

There was a moment of silence, and then a middle-aged man stood up near the back of the room. He cleared his throat, and then said, “I think we can immediately throw out the third option. We aren’t barbarians or corporates, we don’t space anyone who doesn’t serve a purpose.” As he sat, there was a murmur of agreement around the room. Nobody liked the idea of spacing another person, and while it was technically a legitimate penal option, the council had never ejected anyone from the ship while in space. Luciano nodded along with his peers, and continued to look around the room.

“I agree. Whether they have done wrong or not, they deserve at least a shred of human decency.” This came from Ciruela de las Campanas, the person who had discovered the stowaways in the first place.

“I don’t think we can make a truly informed opinion about this until we have actually communicated with these people,” came a voice from the second row of seats. “If they are fleeing from someone who means them harm, then I feel we have an obligation to protect them. If they are fleeing from a crime, however, then we should return them to Kest to face justice. If the corporates are involved, then the faster we turn around, the better.”

Again, a murmur of approval swept through the room. Harboring fugitives was something nobody wanted to do; The crew of the Tortuga tried to stay as far removed from planetary politics as much as possible, and if one of the Outer Rim Confederacy’s two main corporations was involved, then things could get very nasty very quickly.

In short order, an agreement was reached: Spacing the four Alvish stowaways was off the table. Nobody wanted to watch people go into the airlock and be ejected from the ship, no matter what they may have done. The ship would continue to glide through space, unpowered, until Hernán and Luciano had managed to talk to the four young men. If they didn’t pose a danger to the autonomy and safety of the ship, then they would be taken along to the asteroid claims, and be put to work as much as possible to pay off the cost of their oxygen. If their stories didn’t sound quite right, or if they were fleeing from someone the Tortuga did not want to go up against, then they would be returned to Hestor’s Nest and possibly handed over to the authorities, freeing the Tortuga from potential danger.

No-one wanted them aboard, but every member of the council was convinced that, since they were on the Tortuga, it was their responsibility to make sure that they were kept safe and secure until they proved they were not worthy of such safety.
Last edited by Meriad on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ordic TechnocratMeriad on the Ordic Encyclopedia[CAUTION: Roleplaying Hivemind!]

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:56 am

The Medical Bay of the Mining Ship Tortuga
Traveling within the Kest System of the Outer Rim Confederacy

The slow panic was eating Dalfi’s heart. It was a familiar beast, frequently finding its home within Dalfi’s chest and taking over all the most primitive parts of his brain. It was the feeling that his whole life was dissolving beneath him, that everything familiar was just sand falling through his fingers. Only this time it was much worse.

The same nightmare returned, once or twice, as Dalfi tried to find refuge in the arms of sleep. His fucking dead cousin was going to drive him insane. The voices of the humans were salvation. Something for his brain to chew on other than itself.

“Hello, I am Hernán. I am the doctor.” What kind of alien gibberish is that?

He listened quietly as Taz interrupted his brother, his voice wavering and slurred. His ears perked as one of the aliens repeated his native language to the AI. He waited until the two aliens left.

“Taz? Hello?” Dalfi rolled over underneath the covers. The painkillers were killer, as good as anything he’d gotten back home. So these aliens are not savages, that is good to know.

“Dalfi?” He watched his second-cousin’s dark-red curls turn over. He caught his bright green eyes inside the darkness.

“Uh. Are you okay?”

“I feel like I just smoked three-hundred Wickels.”

Dalfi smiled against his pillow. Quite soft. “Well that’s good. That’s basically your normal state.”

“Shut up.” They were whispering for no reason. “I do hope they don’t kill us.”

“We’ve already almost been killed. Now we’ve got the magic touch.”

“Yes, you tell yourself that.”

“I am.” Dalfi closed his eyes. “I’ve got the slow panic, Taz. Except worse than ever.”

“Me too. It’s really not unusual, given the circumstances.”

“Did they seem kind? The aliens?”

“Yes.” Taz giggled. “Also, why are we whispering? They can’t even understand us.”

Dalfi shrugged underneath his blanket. “It just seems like the right thing to do in bed.”

“Taz! Taz!” Hann was whispering so loudly he may as well have been yelling.

“What?”

“Are you okay?”

Taz blew a sigh through his lips. “Yes.”

“How is Persi?”

“He’s alright.” Dalfi said, finally abandoning the whisper. “Still sleeping, last I checked.”

Taz grinned at Dalfi. “Alright, Hann, now butt out, I’m trying to spend some quality time with Dalfi.”

“Why not spend some quality time with your beloved brother?”

“My brother is a lobotomy victim, thank you very much.” Taz mimicked an offended huff. “He cannot form complete sentences.”

“You’re lucky I can’t get up.”

“Yes you can,” Taz laughed. “What, did they tie you down or something?”

“Shut up.”

Several Hours Later

Several hours later Dalfi and Taz had begun singing giddy songs from their homeland, in a sort of drunken unison. This finally woke Persi, who joined Hann in complaining loudly about this fact. The rather fragile merry mood collapsed abruptly as the door clicked open.

Two men entered, one slightly taller and much older than the other, and they approached the four Kaisthurms, eventually handing them small earbuds and pointing to their heads. The four cousins slipped the translator devices inside their ears.

The wrinkled human with the white hair spoke first. “Hello; my name is Luciano de las Campanas, and this is Doctor Hernán de las Campanas. Welcome aboard the free miner ship Tortuga.”

As always, Hann spoke first, trying to thrust some confidence into his voice. “Hello. I am Hannivald, of House Kaisthurm. This is my brother, and two of our cousins.”

“I hate to sound overly inquisitive, but would you mind telling me how you came to be inside a shipping container on this ship?”

Hann glanced to Taz. “Well, we were, er, we woke up – ”

Taz interrupted. “We woke up in the starport after a rather unfortunate series of events. We did not know what else to do, so we stowed away inside the crate because we were hungry. We have never left Alvia before, and we have no idea where in the galaxy we are.”

The two humans shared an incredulous look. “As I said, you are aboard the Tortuga, an Outer Rim Confederacy free miner vessel of which I am what you would consider the captain. We have just left the Kest system, which was where you stowed away in a shipping container that was being brought up to resupply this ship. I am unsure of the exact distance, but your are many hundreds of light-years from Alvia.”

Dalfi paled. His heart leapt into his throat.

“So this begs the question, what happened in Alvia that led to you – ”

“The Outer Rim Confederacy?” Dalfi almost whispered. “That’s where we are?”

“Yes, in the north-western part of the galaxy. A rather long way from your home, if memory serves.” The old man raised an eyebrow as Dalfi sagged back in his bed.

Hann was perplexed. “What’s the Outer Rim Confederacy?”

Taz ignored his brother, locking eyes with Dalfi. “We are princes of the Alvish Imperium. And, er, we were caught up in some political troubles.”

“Political troubles?” Hernán looked warily at Luciano.

The patriarch continued, “What kind of political troubles? Forgive me for asking, but we free miners try to avoid politics as much as possible, so I would very much appreciate knowing exactly what sort of troubles may have been brought down upon us by your appearance.”

The four Kaisthurms all felt their throats tighten. “It’s, er, nothing that concerns the Outer Rim Confederacy, I assure you,” Taz said, gulping rather deeply. “Our family was ousted from power. We were among the casualties.” Taz looked at Dalfi again. “Or, we were supposed to be.”

“So, how is it that you suddenly appeared on Hestor's Nest, a backwater starport in the middle of nowhere?”

“We really don’t know.” Taz shrugged. “Someone felt a pang of guilt, perhaps. We just woke up there.”

Dalfi interjected again. “Our injuries are the work of our family’s enemies. We don’t know why they didn’t finish us off afterwards. We really don’t know anything.”

“So, you're saying that you don't know where you are, how you got here, or why you're even alive?”

Taz gulped again. “Er, yes, this is what we’re saying.” He cast a forlorn glance at his lap. “We’re not spies or anything, I swear.”

“Oh, I don't think you look quite devious enough to be spies, believe me. There isn't really anyone who wants to spy on us free miners anyway; we leave well enough alone and are generally left well enough alone. Now, I do have to tell you, you pose a bit of a conundrum to us. Having four extra stomachs and sets of lungs aboard is expensive, but so is turning around and dropping you back off on Hestor's nest where we picked you up. You can see why I'm in a bit of a bind here.”

For once, Taz looked lost. Hann butted in again.

“Our House is the third-richest in all of Alvia. Our family will reward you generously if you return us safely to our home.” Taz stared daggers at his brother, muttering an expletive.

“My dear Hannivald, the simple fact is that, even if we wanted to return you home, Tortuga cannot physically get us there. You see, between here and your home there is a rather impressive expanse of interstellar space, with no convenient planets for refueling or resupplying. Whoever put you on Hestor's Nest had a very, very nice starship and a sizable budget, neither of which are available to us here on the Tortuga.

“Technically, as you are all stowaways, I have the legal right to do whatever I want to you, including spacing you. You're using up valuable air, water, food, and fuel simply by existing, and that immediately puts you in the debt of me and my rather extensive family. However, you four seem like nice, upstanding young gentlemen, so I would like to give you a choice on what happens to you. The council that runs this ship has already decided that we would rather not eject you into space. So you have two options open two you. Firstly, we can turn the Tortuga around and return to Hestor's Nest. Understandably, this will be an extremely expensive undertaking, and as much as I would love to drop you off in a nice hotel and wish you the best of luck, that is not an economically viable option. So you would have to somehow rustle up enough money in order to pay for your passage, as short as it has been thus far. Hestor's Nest is a long way from anywhere, so I suspect that whoever put you there doesn't want anyone to know about you. That makes me inclined to doubt you will find any friendly faces there.

“Your second option is more straightforward: You can stay aboard the Tortuga. This is a mining ship, and we are headed for a claim that is full of mineral-rich asteroids. If you so choose, you can stay aboard, help us mine out a couple of asteroids, and hopefully pay off at least a part of what you're going to end up costing my family. We will be in deep space for nine months, so it is a significant investment in terms of time, but if what you've told me is true and you're already dead, then that seems to be a commodity of which you have no shortage.”

Silence settled over the four like an overcast sky. The old man Luciano studied their faces.

“It will cost you more than that,” Dalfi said, his voice low and defeated. “We require special equipment to survive. We do not breathe oxygen, and the molecule is harmful to our skin, as our chemistry is based on ammonia, not water.” He finally returned Luciano’s gaze. “Plus, our bodies cannot handle the high temperatures of water-based planets without protection. There are two products we need to survive in these conditions, which I suspect you don't currently possess.”

Hernán cleared his throat. “We do have a rather extensive, if jury-rigged, chemical laboratory, which I keep well-stocked with various chemicals and supplies of varying importance and utility. It's possible that we could synthesize something onboard.”

Dalfi and Taz exchanged a look. Dalfi responded, “Well, is there some way for us to look up the recipes?”

Luciano looked at Hernán, and furrowed his brow. “We can probably get whatever specific chemical information we need from Maktaba, and then make it in the lab.”

“Good. Well, there’s also one other thing.” Dalfi sat up in his bed and examined his good hand. “I, er, my people sometimes take a certain drug with very specific chemical properties. Without access to this drug I will eventually go into withdrawal.” He looked up at them. “How extensive is your collection of chemicals?”

Once more, the two men looked at each other. “It does depend on what kind of drug you need," said Hernán. "I avoid keeping highly addictive drugs aboard the ship whenever possible, but processing some of the more rare minerals does require some rather unusual chemicals, so it is possible that I will have what you need.”

Dalfi smiled. “Well, then, I suppose this could work out.”

Hann spoke up, switching to their native dialect of Dottish Valckish, a highly distinguished variant which is only partially intelligible to speakers of Standard Valckish. “Dalfi, we cannot stay on this ship for nine months. We must return to Alvia!”

Luciano raised an eyebrow as the translator ceased functioning properly, catching only snippets of the words.

Taz broke in before Dalfi could respond, again in Dottish. “We have no choice, Hann. These people have been very kind, and they cannot turn around.”

Dalfi nodded in agreement. “It’s fine. We can try to contact the family when we return to that planet.” He gestured to his tortured hand. “I don’t think Alvia will be very welcoming of us for a little while anyway.”

Hann opened his mouth for a rebuttal, but didn’t find any argument. He reluctantly fell silent: Dalfi and Taz turned back to the humans with halfhearted smiles. Taz spoke first: “We, er, humbly accept your offer.”

Dalfi finished his cousin’s words. “Now, may we see that laboratory?”

Nerotysia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Nerotysia » Mon Sep 03, 2018 2:06 pm

The wheel of Fortune turns:
I go down, demeaned;
another is raised up;
far too high up
sits the king at the summit –
let him fear ruin!
for under the axis is written
Queen Hecuba.

Gozich, Capital of Alvia
18 Days after the Coup

Overturned burning vehicle carcasses litter the streets. Glass is like a light dusting of snow, covering everything. Bloodsoaked rioters assault police barricades, and they break. Several Alvish uniforms drown underneath the crowds. They’re torn apart. The Alvish mob finally meets the Therians, and fists fly. Broken bottles and knives appear. Panicked police inside buildings nearby begin firing. Screams rise with the smoke into the air.

The newscaster’s voice, deep as chocolate and wavering at the violence, squashes the noise of the fighting. “Rumors of Lo’vala’s brutal treatment of the Kaisthurm children have sparked violence across the capital. Large Alvish mobs descended into Therian neighborhoods, carrying crude weapons and chanting anti-Therian slogans. This provoked a response, and police have been unable to contain racial outbursts like the one you are seeing right now.”

Two police aircraft appear in the frame and hover overhead. They begin dumping water on the people below.

“Since then, further rumors have emerged that the Zaeserin refuses to release the remaining Kaisthurms she has in custody. Additionally, news of the Dadanoi fleet’s victory over the Kaisthurms seems to have caused panic among many citizens.”

From one of the buildings a banner is unfurled, heralded by screaming fanatics on the roof. The fabric reads, ‘Only Savages kill Children! Only Heroes kill Savages!’

The newscaster murmurs inaudibly to his aides, and then continues. “So far only the Black Fang has responded to the rumors, calling for the arrest of the Zaeserin and, quote, ‘the destruction of vicious Therianism before more of our Alvish children suffer.’ The Volthaug has so far not announced any plans for an emergency session to address these issues.”

The sunset cast a hellish glow on the chaos down below. For the past several hours Gozich had been drowned in smoke, fire, and blood, punctuated by the shrieking whine of sirens and the growling engines of police aircraft. And then there were the screams, laid overtop the whole violent orchestra like a piano.

Svethela kov’Kaisthurm touched her cheeks, right to left, a spiritual gesture common in both Zockensian and Vossi rituals. Her fingers hardly moved: she still needed that surgery, and the aches continued to worsen. Her eyes, recently rejuvenated by Alvia’s best opthamologists, dwelt on the broken city’s glass-and-steel skyline. She had always adored Gozich.

Well, she had always adored its skyline.

With a heavy sigh she turned and knelt before the small golden statue, placed on the roof of the massive skyscraper that the Kaisthurm elders had made their home. The gilded sculpture depicted a small Alvish boy lounging against a tree, reaching for something over his head. Known only as “the Young Hero” in the Book of Zockoft, this was the boy which overthrew Zockoft following his corruption and fall from grace. He was traditionally the patron of children, peace, and innocence.

Svethela spoke a short hymn for her only child, Volfrida, still held captive in the Palace of Rhapsel with her son-in-law, Ondivald. She moved on quickly to a hymn for the dead, murmuring the names of her grandchildren Dalfindir and Persimir. This second incantation took far longer. Her eyes welled with tears. She angrily wiped them away.

“Highness!” It was the low, gruff voice characteristic of the short, squat Dauvish people native to the Clōve. Svethela looked up, and found her bodyguard Garzion Shenobal standing near the roof entrance.

“Yes?” She called out. Her smaller voice was snatched by the wind.

“Highness! A visitor has come! You must return downstairs immediately!” He began to approach, having first hoped to avoid entering the sacred space.

“What is it?” He finally reached her side, offering a hand. Unusually for his race, his beard was quite small, hanging just barely past his chin and tied into a short bun. Svethela met his large green eyes as she stood.

“A visitor has come with extravagant claims regarding the night your family was attacked.” Svethela stood about two heads taller than Garzion when she stood – the ancestral homes of the Dauvish were the mountains of the Clōve, and they generally did not enjoy tall stature.

“Sygmald is incapable of handling this?” She muttered as she followed him back downstairs.

“No, highness. I came without orders.” He threw a glance back at her. “I am absolutely certain you should be there.”

Upon Gildomir’s death the Kaisthurms had overtaken the entire top twenty floors of the massive resort, and following the coup they had turned them into an armed camp. The Kaisthurm fleet had dispatched several hundred more members of the Whitefur Guard, the elite Dauvish guard corps, upon learning of the coup, and as the battle raged with the Dadanoi, the fleet had evacuated the rest of its Dauvish contingent. The manpower present at the top of the tower was thusly enormous.

The two Dauvish guardsmen, clad in black combat armor lined in traditional white fur, nodded to Svethela as she passed through the double doors into the largest conference room in the building. Garzion followed behind, nodding to his comrades.

The Chamber of Mirrors, or so it was called, was thrust out over the lake which surrounded the resort, and sported windows for walls and a skylight for a roof. A gargantuan steel table rose from the center of the room near the door, oval-shaped and draped in velvet finery. Past the other end of the table opposite to the door was a large glass circle imprinted into the floor that offered a stunning view of the lake below. This was one of the resort’s trademarked “Skyview” windows.

Lined against each wall were twenty Dauvish guardsmen, rifles clutched diagonally across their chests. Svethela passed all of them, taking a seat near the far edge of the table, opposite to Sygmald and several other Kaisthurm princes. Garzion took a position behind her.

“Who is this man?” Svethela said, scanning their visitor up-and-down.

The visitor in question was Therian, rather small for his race, reaching just over six-foot-four, dressed in the elaborate garb of a starship pilot. He stood with his arms folded behind him directly in the center of the Skyview window. Two Dauvish guardsmen stood just off to the side, their eyes trained on his back.

“This is Commander Becco, of the Zatios family. He is counted among the best pilots in Alvia.” Sygmald sneered. “He is also Therian.”

“Why is he here?” Svethela asked. She carefully avoided looking at her brother.

“He claims to have information regarding our grandchildren.”

Svethela’s heart skipped a beat. She met Becco’s eyes. “Do tell, then.”

The Therian cleared his throat. “I am Becco Zatios, and, for the correct price, I can help you save House Kaisthurm.” He smiled. “I no longer hold any loyalty towards my former employer, the Zaeserin Lo’vala Dadanos.”

Svethela groaned. “Spit it out, then.”

He licked his lips, slowly. “Your grandchildren are still alive.”

For the next few moments Svethela could not breathe. For the seventh time that day she felt hot liquid rush to her eyes. Her grandchildren?

“What? The grandchildren?” She leaned forward. “What did you just say?”

“Your grandchildren are still alive.” He counted them off on his fingers. “Dalfindir, Persimir, Hannivald, and Tassimir. I was tasked with killing them.” He bowed graciously. “However, as mine is a gentle and caring soul, I could simply not stomach the murder of innocents. It would have been a violation of the most sacred – ”

“Oh, shut up.” Svethela stood up, clenching the table against the pain. “Where are they? What happened?”

“I took them to the furthest corner of the galaxy, to keep them away from Alvia and the Dadanoi.” His smile grew wider. “However, my gentle soul can no longer tolerate the torment of their separation from their home. With the resources of your House, I am sure you could find them.”

Svethela nodded to the guardsmen behind Becco. Before he could react, they had darted into position on either side of the window and aimed their rifles squarely at the glass underneath his feet. Garzion calmly withdrew his sidearm and fired two shots into the Skyview, cracking the glass. Becco shrieked.

“What are you doing!?” He froze as twenty pairs of rifles shifted towards him.

Svethela approached him. “You will tell me where they are. Or you will die.” The cracks continued to wind through the window. Becco cast a desperate glare at Svethela.

“What the fuck is this!? I come to you with a deal!”

“Correct. These are our terms. Your life, or the information.” Svethela suffered a sudden bout of coughing and retrieved a handkerchief from her robes.

“This is absurd! I am a prince of the realms! I will not be intimidated!”

Svethela smiled. “Well, this window doesn’t know who you are. And it seems awfully close to breaking.”

Becco glanced at Sygmald. He was slumped in his chair, his eyes downcast. He appeared to be crying.

Becco turned back to Svethela. “If I die, they are lost forever.”

Svethela shrugged. “Your crew knows where they are. With the resources of my House, I’m sure we could find them.”

The wind whistled through the holes in the glass. The silence stretched into minutes. Neither Svethela nor Becco moved an inch.

“Fine,” Becco snarled. “If I die here, may your House rot.” He shifted back to his standing position. “I dropped them off on Hestor’s Nest, a planet within the territories of the Outer Rim Confederacy.” He tried to calm his breathing. “I left them in a starport, so it is possible they have left the planet already.”

“Excellent!” She nodded to the guardsmen to lower their weapons. Becco launched himself backwards off the glass.

“I shall send a message to every bounty hunter, every disgraced captain, every piece of scum inside and outside Alvia,” Sygmald muttered as Svethela took her seat. “They will be found.”

“Ensure they are trustworthy,” Svethela said, reaching into her robes for her painkillers. “I do not want some crude ruffians kidnapping my grandchildren.”

“They are mine as well, Svethela,” he grunted.

Ignoring him she turned back to Becco, who had just risen to his feet. “If you were ordered to kill them, you must have bore witness to their torment, surely.”

Becco was trying to catch his breath. “Yes. It was truly horrifying to my gentle – ”

“So you can provide firsthand testimony as to the brutality of Zaeserin Lo’vala?”

“Well, perhaps.” He examined the old woman. “What do you imply?”

“You will testify before the Volthaug that the rumors are true. You will confirm that Lo’vala brutally tortured the innocent Kaisthurms, that she is possessed of a wicked and savage mind, and that she wishes nothing but blood upon the rest of the Alvish houses. You will provide as many details as possible.” She was blinking rapidly, her eyes darting inside her contact lenses.

“And why should I do that? If the Volthaug does not tear her apart, a vicious Alvish mob will.”

“The Zatios family will be amply rewarded for your efforts.”

Becco sneered. “Rewarded with what, summary execution?”

Svethela popped a pill between her lips. “Once all of this is over, and House Kaisthurm has reclaimed the throne, House Dadanos will be obliterated.” She sat back in her seat. “As such the imperial government will need to award the throne of Ringshine and Popira to a new Therian house, one which is more loyal.” She grinned. “I believe House Zatios will be the perfect candidate.” She shrugged. “And perhaps the new King Becco will require a bit of financial help from House Kaisthurm. Well, he shall be awarded anything his heart desires, so long as his loyalty remains.”

Becco took a seat at the top of the conference table. Garzion drew his pistol, but Svethela waved him off. “Well, this sounds vastly more reasonable than killing me.”

“My apologies for the roughness, my child,” Svethela grunted, turning to Sygmald. “Contact one of our allies in the Black Fang. Let them know what is coming.”

Sygmald grinned despite his sister’s presence. “Alright. Let’s make Ingald squirm.”

“Indeed.” She turned back to Becco. “I am told that he is looking for an opportunity to abandon Lo’vala already. We shall see how quickly he can react.”

Becco interrupted, “This will only intensify the chaos, you realize. Look at what is happening even now, over nothing but rumors.” He leaned forward. “You’re only giving the Alvish a casus belli. The bloodshed will be unimaginable.”

“Indeed.” Svethela smiled wider. “Gozich will be soaked in blood. And thus when the Kaisthurms return to wipe the streets clean and close the wounds, they will be worshipped as heroes, and an all-important lesson will be imparted on the realms. We shall never lose the throne again.”

Becco snorted. “You cannot buy popular support with just – ”

“The people will cry out for order, and House Kaisthurm will provide,” Svethela continued. “However, in order for the people to recognize their inner thirst for order, they must taste chaos first.” She smiled. “That is our task for the foreseeable future. To give them chaos.”

“You really are a cunt.”

“I’ve been called worse, dear.” Her smile faded. “The death of that despicable witch Lo’vala will be a plus, as well.”

After an awkward moment, Becco stood to leave. “Well, I will go prepare my statements, then. May I claim one of the penthouses?”

“No.” Svethela held up a hand, and the guardsmen raised their rifles. She took a few deep, shuddering breaths as Becco lowered himself back into his seat. Garzion placed a hand on Svethela’s shoulder, murmuring something into her ear. Finally she spoke.

“You will stay. You will tell me every godforsaken thing she did to my grandchildren. You will not leave out any details.” Her voice shook.

Sygmald finished her thought. “After this, you will apologize for her. And then you will be allowed to leave.”

Svethela met Becco’s eyes. He took a deep breath.

The Chemical Laboratory of the Mining Ship Tortuga
Traveling within the Outer Rim Confederacy
19 Days after the Coup

Recommended Listening

The egg warms his hand,
The storm blusters around him,
The egg warms his hand,
And he will not be cold tonight.

The happy song bounced around the little lab with reckless abandon. Dalfi and Taz were not singers, and they belted the words like drunken barmates, and the cutesy holiday song assaulted Hann’s eardrums and he could not stand it.

“Fucking shut up!” Hann said, picking his way out from between the tables to go to a far corner. The chemistry lab was a long white rectangle, sporting three long island countertops for chemical work and constant counters along the edges for storage and extra space. Dalfi and Taz had claimed the table furthest from the door, and were hovering over several beakers full of frothing liquid. They had spent most of the past week working on producing the various substances the Alvish required to survive, all while the Tortuga slowly made its way to its next mineral deposit. Their work was slow and irritating. The tiniest of arguments sprouted and died on a minutely basis like small particles.

“Are you sure this is the right temperature?”

“Yes, I had to memorize this shit, Taz.”

“This seems too hot. It’s changing color. Should we stop it?”

No, as I said, I had to memorize – oh, shit, you’re right. Turn it off.”

And so on.

The drudgery was such that they’d taken to singing ballads of their homeland. At first they tried a variety of popular music, but very quickly they turned to holiday music, and even quicker to songs of the Wismacht, the most popular and celebrated Valckish holiday. “The Egg” was among the most repetitive and simplistic of these songs.

“Please! Shut up!” The two merry singers laughed.

Taz stuck his tongue out. “Look, we’re trying to get into the holiday spirit, Hann. Stop being a fuddy-duddy.”

“You two are awful, really.”

Luckily for Hann, it was only an hour later that the two were forced to stop their singing, as they had just completed evaporating their final black liquid into its gaseous form.

The human chemist in the corner sighed loudly. “Remind me why I’m not allowed to help?”

Dalfi did not turn, as he was focused on drawing the gas into a breathable pipe. “These are church secrets. If I revealed the recipe to you I’d be excommunicated. And that wouldn’t do.”

Suddenly a dark-haired human appeared in the doorway. Hann stood.

The man spoke. “If you're not in the middle of a chemical reaction or something, we're coming up on something that I think may interest you.”

Dalfi did not look up from his work. Taz turned. “Um, one moment.”

Before long Dalfi finished and Persi had been woken up, and the four headed up to the Tortuga’s expansive bridge. The Kaisthurms follow their escort along a walkway to the right of the amphitheatre of steps, their eyes darting over the new environment. Eight serious-looking humans in uniforms sat behind various computers in the room, but none of them spoke.

“Where are we going?” Taz asked, speeding up to keep pace with the man. Before he could answer, however, he stopped, just after the point where the glass ends and the hull begins.

With a smile he gestured outside the ship. “Look!”

The four crowded around. The view outside is black, dotted with distant stars and cluttered by asteroids of various sizes.

“We’re moving through an asteroid field?” Taz asked, furrowing his brow. “So what?”

“Look at that one,” the man said, gesturing to the largest planetoid in view. Unlike the others, this one was ploughed with random holes, like a block of swiss cheese.

“Why is it like that?” Taz muttered.

“That is the asteroid that we were mining out three or four months ago. It used to be much bigger, before we split it into chunks and extracted most of the valuable minerals. Are you at all familiar with the mining process?”

The four were silent. Taz shook his head.

“You'll see this for yourself starting as soon as tomorrow, but understanding it now will help with the learning curve. We tagged this trip's first mining target with harpoons on the way back to Kest, to keep other miners away from it. We're now homing in on it, and should get there early tomorrow morning. When we do, we will carefully maneuver up next to it, and then fire a dozen harpoons into the rock. If you had come aboard on a shuttle like a regular person, you would have seen the harpoons on the hull as you came in to dock.”

“Why harpoon the asteroid?” Taz muttered. “Could you not just use thrusters to stay next to it?”

“We could, but that uses a lot of fuel, and actually chipping away at the asteroid would be a challenge. Once the asteroid is harpooned, we'll make detailed scans of the interior so that we will know where in the asteroid the best minerals are located, and then we start to break the rock apart. On the starboard side of the ship, that's the left, we have three racks of mining drones. Those drones, as well as the four big drills we have mounted on the port side of the ship, will all work together to break pretty sizable chunks off the rock. Not only does that mean we can immediately discard any slag that is in the way of us getting to the inside, we can also chip off large chunks that do have minerals and then dismantle them by hand.”

Taz blinked. “By hand? Isn't that, er, inefficient?”

“You would think so, but not really. You see, while all the big corporate ships can just pick up a whole asteroid, cannibalize it with nanodrones, and then move on, we don't have the tech to do that. So when we break off a good piece, we use harpoons and the drones to maneuver it inside one of the big three hangars on the port side of the ship. Once we have the rock in there, we can lash it to the walls and then go after it with handheld tools. That's why we have so many more people on board than one of the big corporate ships, even though we're only a fraction of the size.”

“Huh. That’s weird.” Taz looked at the man. “So you guys literally crawl around on rocks?”

“Well, not exactly. The three main hangars that we use for picking the rocks apart have neither atmospheres nor artificial gravity, which makes maneuvering around much easier. We still have to be really careful about flying rocks and stray tools, but it means we don't need drones or massive winches to move the minerals from the mining bays to the storage bays.”

This did not ease Taz’s confusion. “But you still use – you still don’t use drones. Huh.”

“Well, not for actually extracting the minerals, no. They are far too expensive to buy and maintain, so we only have the dozen or so to do the dirty work outside the ship. Because trust me, you do not want to be on that rock when we have all four big drills going. Look the wrong way at the wrong time, and you'll be seeing spots for a week.”

Dalfi giggled, and took a long drag on his improvised pipe of magnified . “Humans are weird.” He met the man’s eyes. “We use drones for everything in Alvia.”

“If you'd like to pay for them out of pocket, then I think you'd understand why we can't really use them out here in the black.”

Dalfi studied their instructor. “Erm, who are you, precisely?”

He smiled. “Oh, I apologize. My name is Nicolás Santiago, but you can just call me Nico. I'm the navigator!”

1. Taken from the poem "Fortune Plango Vera," part of the Carmina Burana manuscript.
Last edited by Nerotysia on Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Meriad
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Meriad » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:49 pm

Mining Ship Tortuga
14:00, 1973.8.7, Revised Standard Year

“Okay, compañeros, we are down to three point six mets, delta-vee point oh-five. We should have a relative stop in around 72 seconds.”

“Thank you, Juan, bring us in nice and easy.” Padre Luciano stood behind the helmsman’s chair, leaning slightly on its back and staring out the window in front of him. He deftly masked the paranoia that was always present when parking next to an asteroid behind an easy expression of relaxed confidence, but his white knuckles on the setback betrayed the tension inside him. Even after nearly a century of being on the bridge, as an assistant, the navigator, the helmsman, and now the captain, the Tortuga’s patriarch still hated this part of the mining process the most. If the navigator had screwed up, then the ship could hit a chunk of rock at concerningly high velocities, and nothing kills a crew faster than ramming an asteroid by accident.

The other reason Luciano hated the deceleration process was because he couldn’t see. While the shutters that could cover the bridge’s massive windows were still wide open, the asteroid at which they would be parking was invisible from where he stood. There was a knot of people on the rear walkway staring out the window on the right side of the ship, where you were finally able to see the asteroid at two kilometers distant, but the bulk of the ship and the engines that were doing the work of stopping the ship stood between Luciano and seeing the rocks he had come so far to break apart.

At long last, the helmsman flicked a switch, and the ship shuddered slightly. Luciano caught himself on the back of the chair as his engines cut off and his center of gravity changed just enough to make him stumble. The helmsman, his great-nephew, looked back at him and said, “Okay, Padre, we’re at relative stop!” Luciano smiled, clapped him on the shoulder, and released his grip on the chair.

When he turned and saw the knot of people looking curiously at the asteroid out the window, he put on a fake scowl. “Ay, haraganes, what are you looking at? We have work to do!” The people immediately dispersed, many of them chuckling at their patriarch, most leaving the bridge to begin whatever tasks they were supposed to be doing throughout the ship.

He turned to the left side of the ship, where the ship’s maneuvering station sat, and smiled at the woman seated there. “Honey, we’re home!”

His wife, Gloria Ximena chuckled, and would have slapped him had be been closer. She bent over the controls in front of her, and gently began to coax the ship closer to the asteroid using the thruster banks on the left side of the ship. They were still two kilometers away from the asteroid, not daring to use the main drive to bring them in any closer in case previously undetected smaller rocks were orbiting the asteroid, and it would take another hour or so before they were close enough to actually halt all movement relative to the rock, but in the meantime, there was lots of work to be done.

Mining Ship Tortuga
09:33, 1973.8.8, Revised Standard Year

Nicolás Santiago de las Campanas knocked gently on the narrow door of the cabin, leaning against the wall of the hallway as he waited for an answer. The low murmur of voices on the other side stopped, and he could hear someone getting up from a chair and making short strides towards the door where he waited.

The door opened inwards, and Hann looked out at the unexpected visitor in the hall. He smiled when he saw the Tortuga’s navigator, and opened the door further. "Oh, hello Nico! We don't have our translators in right now, but you can come in. We're just playing one of the games you had on board.” Behind the Alvish prince, the other three Alvish boys were clustered around the circular table in the center of the room, chattering in their language about whatever game it was they were playing.

Nico grinned, and stepped through the doorway into the green-walled cabin, pushing the door closed behind him. He strolled over behind where Hannivald sat, grimacing at he small spread of metallic disks that sat on the table before him. From the height of the stacks, it was clear that he was not particularly well off compared to his companions.

“Ah, monopoly!” Nico smirked, knowing well the feeling he saw writ across Hannivald’s face. “My cousin crushes me every time I play this game!” Persi had apparently given in to his fate, and sat at the desk on a wall, fixated on the cabin’s one small holographic screen. “You obviously figured out the rules.”

Taz looked up from the disturbingly tall stack of property cards he was hoarding, and grinned. "Well yes, it's basically just Zaugroftpingausung. It's kinda similar to a game we have in Alvia, actually.”

“Well, if you wouldn’t mind taking a short break from crushing your brother’s soul, I thought you all might enjoy a look at the ship from the outside.”

"Really!" Persi's eyes lit up. As far as Nico could remember, it was the first time he had consciously spoken to anyone on board the Tortuga.

“Certainly. Now, we don’t have any pressurized shuttles, so we’ll all have to be in EVA suits, which will take a while, but we can see the grappling operation underway and I can point out some of the more interesting parts of the ship.”

Dalfi shot a glance at his brother. "Well, that sounds lovely!”

Persi leapt to his feet and stood at-attention, his teeth jumping out of his smile. "Ready for suiting, sir!”

Nico smiled, and beckoned for the four Alvish to follow him. He led them out into the corridor and along the hallway until the reached the forward EVA bay the only hangar space on the starboard side of the ship, and the only one that could safely be used without temporarily suspending the grappling operation that was underway outside the ship. The center of the white-painted room was dominated by several dozen tall cage lockers, each containing EVA suits of various shapes, sizes, and types. There was little standardization between the suits other than tools and life support couplings, so the variety of colors in the lockers was disconcerting. At the far end of the room, he stopped in front of a row of a dozen lockers, each containing an undersized EVA suit.

“These are the suits that we generally used for instructional purposes for our own kids. They don’t have any tool mountings, which makes the process of learning to maneuver around in zero gravity much less cumbersome.” He pointed each one of the Alvish to a suit that looked to be about their size, and then retrieved his own purple and red suit from a locker opposite theirs. He proceeded to walk them through the reasonably standard routine of double checking that every major function on the suit worked as expected, and coached them in the proper procedure of putting the suits on.

Once each of the four boys had a suit on, was holding a helmet under their arm, and had double-checked the suit of the boy next to them, he stepped back and adopted a much more stern face. “As I’m sure you’re aware, EVAs are no small deal aboard this ship. If something goes wrong, we don’t have the facilities or the vehicles to quickly get you back inside if something should go wrong. The reason we almost never have serious injuries outside is because we are so careful. Everyone on an EVA must be accompanied by at least one other person.

“You’ll notice how small this EVA room is; it only has enough suits for maybe a sixth of the crew. That is because this is the only airlock on the starboard side of the ship. As you will see once we are outside, there is a lot of activity on the port side of the ship right now, and everyone out there is wearing specially-hardened suits or are behind shields of some kind, just in case there’s a pocket of gas in the rock that we don’t know about, or in case a grappling gun malfunctions. We are going to keep well away from there for the time being, although I’m happy to talk you our again in the coming days to see the mining operation closer up. For now, I’ll just give you a tour of the ship from the outside, and coach you through spacewalking. Sound good to you?”

The four Alvish boys nodded, and Nico dropped the stern expression. “Alrighty! Vamanos, chicos!” He gently put the helmet on his head and gave it a sharp twist to lock it in place. As soon as all four had done so successfully — and once he had double-checked their seals — he led them into the airlock beyond a narrow doorway. A few short minutes of decompression later, he clipped all four onto a lengthy tether, pulled the large, red lever on the wall, and the airlock door slid open.

The intercom between there suits crackled slightly, and one of the four — Dalfi, Nico though — quietly breathed “Fuck.” Persi seemed to have no reservations about the lack of gravity, and clumsily maneuvered himself to the edge of the door, grasping onto the handles that ringed the door and eagerly glancing around the outside of the ship. He laughed, and looked back at the other four people in the airlock, a grin clearly visible through the slightly hazy glass of the helmet.

Nico smiled and chuckled; he remembered having exactly the opposite reaction his first time outside the ship. “Okay. So, now that we’re in null-G, let’s take a moment to figure out movement.” He led the four Alvish just outside of the airlock, which formed the center of a broad, latticework platform surrounded by a low railing. “This platform is designed specifically for this; teaching you landlubbers how to maneuver in space.” He pointed out the rows of handles that extended outwards radially from the airlock door towards the handrails twenty feet away, and gave a brief demonstration of how to move smoothly from one to the other. He then gave all of them several minutes to figure out moving from one side of the platform to the other. He was surprised by the ease with which all four of them adapted to the new environment; his first time on null-G, he had puked up the contents of his lunch, and wasn’t able to see past his faceplate for the next half hour.

The Alvish, on the other hand, seemed to have no trouble with it, quickly learning to use no more force than necessary. Persi has definitely the best, and Nico showed him how to add a slow half-rotation into his movements in order to reverse his orientation in flight. Taz was far more reluctant, and only let go of the handles after much encouragement from Nico, and a fair amount of heckling from his younger cousin.

After fifteen minutes of maneuvering, Nico directed all four to a gate in the platform. “There is a small hangar twenty feet this way, where we store a small rocket sledge. That is what we will take out to look at the ship. Please follow me!” He led the Alvish to the small hangar, slid back the perforated sliding door that protected the sledge, and seated his four charges in the sledge. He then detached the sledge from it’s mounting and gave it a strong shove, pulling himself aboard as the sledge glided slowly outside the ship. The sledge shuddered to life as the rocket motor below where the four Alvish sat ignited, and Nico guided it to a point around two hundred yards above the Tortuga.

“Alrighty,” Nico said as he guided the sledge to a stop. “So, as you can see, this is the Tortuga. Any first impressions?”

Dalfi’s voice cracked over the intercom, “It's not - it's so chunky." He looked to Nico. “Alvish ships are so different.”

“Oh, Tortuga used to be a sleek girl in her time. She was originally a light freighter, made to carry goods between planets quickly, and could actually enter planets' atmospheres. In space, you don't really need to be streamlined at all, so once we acquired her a couple of generations ago, she very quickly lost that ability.

Tortuga also isn't really... balanced, I suppose you could say. As you can see, there is a lot more external hardware on the port side than on the starboard side. That's because we only ever tie up to asteroids on the port side, and most of the mining takes place there. From front to back, you can see Martillo, Irena, Puño, and Porra, our four mining drills. 'Rena is the biggest, so we use her the most. Porra is too far back to use on all but the biggest asteroids, which is why she's folded away against the hull right now.

“Between the drills, you can probably see a bunch of brightly-painted things sticking out from the hull. Those are the grappling guns and hardpoints where we connect the cables that keep the asteroid connected to the ship. If we don't anchor ourselves to it, trying to drill away at the rock will only shove it away from us, and they we'd have to go chase it down again, so we use around fifty steel and carbon-composite cables to tie everything rigid. That’s what the people outside are doing right now.

“A couple of years back, we got a dozen new cables off of a planet-side seller of... dubious character that were made specifically for this. Once they are in place and tight, we just run a low-voltage current through them and they tense up, locking everything immobile. I can't even begin to tell you how valuable those have been; before, we had to mount half a dozen thruster boxes to the asteroid in order to keep it completely immobile!”

A couple of chuckles echoed over the intercom, although Nico couldn’t quite tell who they came from. He continued, "The big latticework structure on the starboard side, just to the aft of the airlock we came out of, is the drone rack. That is where we store the mining drones that do most of the hard work of splitting the asteroids apart. Having them stored on the opposite side from the drills means that not only do we have more room for mining, but we can also have some rather delicate solar arrays help recharge their batteries when they aren't in use."

“Are the drones autonomous?” Taz asked

“Good question!” Nico glanced back at the Alvish prince sitting behind him. “The answer is, sometimes. They don't have any form of artificial intelligence, so they are controlled mainly by the Tortuga's onboard computer and a set of specialized programs, but we also frequently take control of them individually in order to do tasks we're not sure the computers can execute sufficiently well.”

Nico continued, “All the way at the back of the ship, you can just barely see the engine cowling poking out. Tortuga is powered by four plasma engines and three ion engines. At maximum thrust, we can pull about 1.5 times what our main fusion reactor can produce, which will drain our pretty considerable battery reserves in just under fifteen minutes.We try to never go above half thrust if we can help it, since it's much more energy efficient.”

"Unless you need to escape star pirates," Taz said with a goofy grin. Dalfi chuckled.

“Yes, well, thankfully we haven’t had to deal with any of those yet.” He looked back at the four Alvish, and asked, “Any other questions?” The four slightly undersize forms shook they heads, and Nico nudged the sledge back towards the Tortuga.
Last edited by Meriad on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents