NATION

PASSWORD

The Immortal Pathogen OOC Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Huerdae
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 28, 2009
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:33 am

See, I think that would be fun. But I don't have teleporters, generally for a large boarding action, I'm going to ram you.

I lack subtlety, after all. Shame I can't do anything particularly unique, though. I'll keep looking.
Last edited by Huerdae on Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Huerdaen Star Empire is an FT Nation.

Xiscapia wrote:It amused her for a time to wonder if the two fleets could not see each other, so she could imagine them blindly stabbing in the dark, like a game of tag, if tag was played with rocket launchers in pitch blackness.
[17:15] <Telros> OH HO HO, YOU THOUGHT HUE WAS OUT OF LUCK, DID YOU
[17:15] <Telros> KUKUKU, HE HAS REINFORCEMENTS
[17:15] <Telros> FOR TELROS IS REINFORCEMENTS MAN

Rezo wrote:If your battleship turrets have a smaller calibre than your penis is long, you're doing it wrong.

Ekilion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ekilion » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:01 am

Huerdae wrote:
Balrogga wrote:I remember reading an RP long time ago where they actually used tanks in a boarding action. This was years ago.
Damn. I was planning on doing that to some of the people who have multiple-kilometer ships because I thought it was creative. Now I feel cheap and lesser for just following in someone else's footsteps.

Though, maybe if I could get a full-scale battle across the hull of a starship, it would be fun.

I use little tankettes for boarding actions. Also the only problem with a fight over the hull would be fighting in space suits (thinking of shattered horizion here (fun game))
Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25855
Ekon: We try to avoid getting ourselves genocided
Premislyd: ^First time I've ever heard that

Proud member of TSAR. By way of Indentured servitude to the Vipran Imperium.
"We're never going to survive unless we get a little bit crazy"

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:25 am

Ozymos wrote:Considering this is a space station we're talking about, tanks is abit excessive. Unless Horn wants it destroyed, in which case I will offer the services of HMS Bismarck and HMS Tirpitz to annhiliate it through kinetic fire.

I meant the whole burning webs and shit like that. \:

Yes I have flamethrower infantry, but most of them are armed with futuristic 'plasma' guns that I still haven't quite explained fully yet. \: I will in my "factbook of awesome and win", however. D:
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Huerdae
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:35 am

Bah. Explanation of how it works is far less interesting than explanation of what it does. I just assume that because none of my characters know, it's not quite that important. After all, you use a microwave, but I suspect the exact manner in which if functions is not understood by you. As far as you know, it warms things up.

Xiscapia wrote:It amused her for a time to wonder if the two fleets could not see each other, so she could imagine them blindly stabbing in the dark, like a game of tag, if tag was played with rocket launchers in pitch blackness.

Rezo wrote:If your battleship turrets have a smaller calibre than your penis is long, you're doing it wrong.

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:06 pm

Huerdae wrote:Bah. Explanation of how it works is far less interesting than explanation of what it does. I just assume that because none of my characters know, it's not quite that important. After all, you use a microwave, but I suspect the exact manner in which if functions is not understood by you. As far as you know, it warms things up.

I echo this man's statements (one of these days I'm just going to disagree with you on something for the heck of it. It'll probably be like dividing by zero).

Furthermore: Updated with new threads.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:07 pm

If you read a number of fiction (science, fantasy, or otherwise) you will notice the author does not get stuck on how exactly something works. The ones that do offer an explanation usually does so in a manner that does not emulate a college textbook. They instead describe what happens without going into plasma flow rates or rate of heat sink operation. The stuff works and it is shown by the effects described.

This is why I never RP using values. The only numbers I use are quantity based (number of ships, torpedoes, victims, ect…). Other than that I describe what I am trying to make happen be it going into FTL, the effects a weapon is intended on having on a foe, or the way a ship approaches a station. It does not really matter how something happens as long as there is a logical reason. It matters what happens for events make up the skeleton of a story, not the science behind it as long as you don’t break the suspension of disbelief with science fact or science obsurdity.

We are here to have fun afterall, not read science papers.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:27 pm

Balrogga wrote:If you read a number of fiction (science, fantasy, or otherwise) you will notice the author does not get stuck on how exactly something works. The ones that do offer an explanation usually does so in a manner that does not emulate a college textbook. They instead describe what happens without going into plasma flow rates or rate of heat sink operation. The stuff works and it is shown by the effects described.

This is why I never RP using values. The only numbers I use are quantity based (number of ships, torpedoes, victims, ect…). Other than that I describe what I am trying to make happen be it going into FTL, the effects a weapon is intended on having on a foe, or the way a ship approaches a station. It does not really matter how something happens as long as there is a logical reason. It matters what happens for events make up the skeleton of a story, not the science behind it as long as you don’t break the suspension of disbelief with science fact or science obsurdity.

We are here to have fun afterall, not read science papers.

I usually agree with this in principle, however there are a couple somewhat specific exceptions.
In the case where I am using something which *is* known and understood to RL science, I may add more detail than usual to my description of intended effects and such like Bal describes above. One example is my recent use of RKVs (Relativisitic Kill Vehicles, aka C-fracs). I found several online tools that can allow me to get a realistic ballpark for actual energy and effects, and I will include some of this detail in my writing. Part of the reason I am doing this is to illustrate just how ungodly deadly and destructive relativistic impacts should be. When something is moving at 90% of the speed of light, it is carrying enough kinetic energy that something the size of a glass marble will hit with the force of a nuclear weapon. This also means it takes the same scale of energies to destroy that glass marble moving at 90% of C.

Most of the time this is rarely an issue. I suppose it just annoys me when I see people using C-frac weapons like they were sprinkling them on their cereal. Course, I say this just in general, not about anyone specific.
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

Balrogga
Minister

Founded: Apr 16, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Balrogga » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:43 pm

Of course, there is an exception to every rule. and that would fall into the "few" I mentioned above.
The Fallen Empire of Balrogga

Intergalactic Trade Hub Thread - Founder / Argument Thread / Advice Thread / DoGA Resource site / ESUS Alliance / The Bloody Hand / Ta'Nar Rumor Thread
Not because it wishes harm, but because it likes violent vibrations to change constantly
Horror – the true horror that paralyzes the mind and scars it with nightmares – is never truly healed.
I had to read that post a couple times to make sure there was not something brilliant burried under all that stupidity...
The quiet foe is the one you need to pay heed, not the loudmouth attracting all the attention.

Ordering lunch

Rethan
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:57 pm

Oh look, more threads in the list. Christ I think this is the busiest I've ever been on NS.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:41 am

OOC: I said I would come, did I not? Also, Rethan, how close is the planet to the sun?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Rethan
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:17 am

Allanea wrote:OOC: I said I would come, did I not? Also, Rethan, how close is the planet to the sun?

Allanea, I thought you might like to know that your arrival triggered my trap due to being the proverbial straw which broke the back. I'll make sure the others thank you.

It's the same distance as earth, give or take a minor fraction.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:26 am

Rethan wrote:
Allanea wrote:OOC: I said I would come, did I not? Also, Rethan, how close is the planet to the sun?

Allanea, I thought you might like to know that your arrival triggered my trap due to being the proverbial straw which broke the back. I'll make sure the others thank you.

So, unless it breaks physics, the main destructive wave of the supernova will reach the planet in about 80 minutes after the explosion starts. Is this correct?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:27 am

Rethan wrote:

You've activated my TRAP CARD!

Or is it more along the lines of IT'S A TRAP!?
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Rethan
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:04 am

Allanea wrote:
Rethan wrote:

So, unless it breaks physics, the main destructive wave of the supernova will reach the planet in about 80 minutes after the explosion starts. Is this correct?

I don't quite know what you mean by the 'main destructive wave', but I did research this quite thoroughly and was under the assumption that enough energy traveling at the speed of light would reach the planet within eight minutes and incinerate everything anyway. I may need to double check, but that was my understanding of the end result.

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:06 am

Allanea wrote:So, unless it breaks physics, the main destructive wave of the supernova will reach the planet in about 80 minutes after the explosion starts. Is this correct?

Ummm, you slipped a decimal place there Allanea.
1 astronomical unit = 8.316 746 396 7 light minute

Rethan wrote:I don't quite know what you mean by the 'main destructive wave', but I did research this quite thoroughly and was under the assumption that enough energy traveling at the speed of light would reach the planet within eight minutes and incinerate everything anyway. I may need to double check, but that was my understanding of the end result.

No, you're correct here Rethan. The shock front (Allanea's "main destructive wave") from the detonation will arrive at the Rasthan homeworld in just over eight minutes. We'd all better be clear of her by that time.
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

Rethan
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Wed May 12, 2010 2:51 am

Updated with new threads and alliance/organisation memberships

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Wed May 12, 2010 4:46 am

*Smashes through the wall in a gleaming white battle tank.* HAI GAIZ WUTZ GOIN ON IN DIS THRED?! I'm more or less tagging this what for wanting to stay informed. Move along, nothing to see here.
IBNFTW local 8492

Sennai
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sennai » Wed May 12, 2010 6:09 am

im happy im not majorly involved in any galactic politics yet xD
Of course..me and Huerdae have been chatting overwhat The Sen System Alliances position due to the formation of Legion: Formed by your good self Rethan.

weather ill join or not has yet to be seen, im hoping for a thread on that..though most probably an open policy to it yet not joining...or joining by force if made to xD
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Dramatic Dashie
Sen system Alliance Factbook
My Little Soviet's, Communisim is Magic.

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Wed May 12, 2010 6:27 am

I'd say you should review the political scene before arbitrarily joining alliances. There are six groups that I'd mention as reasonable galactic players either right now or in the future. That'd be Hermes, the Galactic Empire, the League of Armed Neutrality, the Joint Systems Alliance, the Syndicate and Legion. All of which have very specific goals and political character. Hermes being your elitist mercantile federation that is generally benign and nominally peaceful if not heavily prepared for war. The Galactic Empire, in my opinion, is like a bad rash that's come back to haunt my nether regions, but they tend to be insular and concerned with their own plots. The Empire is looking to get more involved in the affairs of the galaxy at large, though the character of their membership is more sinister than most. I don't call the Beta quadrant "Bat Country" without good reason, the GE is that reason. The League of Armed Neutrality is as the name suggests, a group of heavily armed people that just want to mind their own business. The Joint Systems Alliance, which you're already familiar with, is, in my opinion, a communist cess pool that's trying its best to get up to par with Hermes in terms of their ability to transport goods and maintain the collective security of its members. The UTA is my biggest informant on what the JSA stands for, so take what I've said with a grain of salt.

Both the Syndicate and Legion have stated clearly that they wish to impose order on what they see as a chaotic galaxy. One can assume they're willing to aggressively pursue these goals by what ever means necessary. I don't know much about them, but knowing Huerdae, I'm confident that Legion is going to be implementing phase one any day now.

I'm only offering advice and a brief, biased, summary of what I know from experience. Don't just jump into an alliance because there's nothing to do. Because you might find yourself doing or saying things that you might not mesh with personally. There's plenty of time to shop around and figure out where you fit in the grand scheme of FT. A hurried decision can see you in a place you never imagined or never wanted to be. Ask yourself a few questions after reviewing the membership of these alliances. Do you really want to be allied with a race of biological weapons, aggressive military dictators, abusive alcoholics, do nothing neutrality huggers, communists or... Space bats...?
IBNFTW local 8492

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Wed May 12, 2010 12:58 pm

Well the interesting thing about Sennai, is that very early on he earned himself a place in the Huerdaen good graces. Since then, they've slowly been working themselves into a position of subject nation (not literally, but more like the lapdog).

So when Sen said that he might be joining Legion at gunpoint, it might turn out that way.

Sennai
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sennai » Wed May 12, 2010 1:12 pm

heh heh...it's mostly a trying not to anger the larger tougher more millataristic nation beside me, the Alliance isnt a millatry focused natin, it has a good army and fleet but wouldent match the Huerdaen in open warfare it'd be a decent fight but they just dont have the capability for that sort of thing. the focus maily on electronics and holographic interfaces for a good electronic systems advantage while their weaponry is fairly basic. they could use lasers and plasma and all that jazz easily enough..just they found their current weapons to be effective enough.. that and they're too busy searching for their founders and the concept of going on the offensive doesnt appeal to them since last time they did it only their founders stopped themselves from wiping one another out in a MAD situation.

A sort of tacked on Edit...someone keeps tabs on me? O_o never thought i was that important.
Last edited by Sennai on Wed May 12, 2010 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Dramatic Dashie

Huerdae
Ambassador

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Huerdae » Wed May 12, 2010 1:28 pm

Sen, MC keeps tabs on everyone, it seems.

He's kinda creepy that way. Like when you TG me two minutes after I post a new thread, but for EVERYONE. :shock:

Sennai
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sennai » Wed May 12, 2010 1:29 pm

heh heh..its a gift...but dear god its scary..
(\/)
(-_-)
(")(")

Dramatic Dashie

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Wed May 12, 2010 1:46 pm

Huerdae wrote:Sen, MC keeps tabs on everyone, it seems.

He's kinda creepy that way. Like when you TG me two minutes after I post a new thread, but for EVERYONE. :shock:

Yep, that's us! We've got our eyes and ears out in almost every corner of the galaxy. While we do not have records on everyone, we do have our eyes on quite a lot of folks.

Ekilion
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 27, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Ekilion » Wed May 12, 2010 1:51 pm

Morningstar Coalition wrote:
Huerdae wrote:Sen, MC keeps tabs on everyone, it seems.

Yep, that's us! We've got our eyes and ears out in almost every corner of the galaxy. While we do not have records on everyone, we do have our eyes on quite a lot of folks.

Do I fall under the quite a lot of folks group, because if I do I really need to fix my intelligence department.
Factbook: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=25855
Ekon: We try to avoid getting ourselves genocided
Premislyd: ^First time I've ever heard that

Proud member of TSAR. By way of Indentured servitude to the Vipran Imperium.
"We're never going to survive unless we get a little bit crazy"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents