NATION

PASSWORD

[CLOSED - ESQ ONLY | IC] Fourth Esquarian Summit

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Namor
Minister

Founded: Mar 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Namor » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:40 am

After speaking for the first time, President-General Antelope paid closer attention to the other speakers. The summit - once again - was debating over whether authoritarianism is a source of Nautasia's problems that needs to be addressed. Such a question was also discussed in Xiangmen. However, there seemed to be few qualms with Moutari's proposal for an economic plan to stabilize the Nautasian countries. Antelope reasoned that all the plan needed was no explicit political strings attached in order to gain greater acceptance.

"An economic stabilization plan is in line with the spirit of the Xiangmen Summit, in which we agreed that prosperity is crucial to a stable future for Nautasia. I cannot speak for all developing countries, but coming from a developing country, I can attest to the fact that prosperity secures stability. When the people enjoy a satisfactory standard of living, they have greater confidence in their own ability to stand on the world stage. They neither have the grievances nor will to wait on the next disturbance or invasion for their lives to improve.

"As such, I hope this summit can stand foursquare behind efforts to develop Nautasia's economy. These efforts do not have to be restricted to a fund. They can also include strengthening commercial links with Nautasian countries and developing the continent's infrastructure. Namor will be more than glad to work with Nautasian countries in these efforts.

"I must emphasize that development is not the only prerequisite to stability. No country can truly develop if its right to political independence is constantly under attack. This summit must reaffirm its support for countries to develop within the framework of international laws and norms, and warn against any attempt to disregard the very principles that keep the world largely at peace."
NMR-free since August 2017!

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 am

The Regent decided against humouring the proposal from the leader of Luziyca, given how it is affront to common sense, international laws of customary and codified alike, as well as being able to unite the diverse cast of international diplomatic players against it. With a simple sip of her water, she decided to opt for the less controversial stances where most participants would be inclined to agree.

"His Most Serene Majesty shares the same concern as many of the honourable participants of this summit, and much prefers the Nautasian continent to be a prosperous and stable land, where mutually beneficial trade could be conducted for the betterment of all willing and capable to utilise its bounty. As such, His Imperial government has honour His will through respectful cooperation with its polities, including the government of Ankoren and the newly-unified Irvadistan in various aspects, including the much-needed reconstruction. Naturally, the Emperor Incumbent would be content to see this being part of a greater, more coordinated international effort to support Nautasian polities to rebuild themselves after the devastating war that has plagued the continent for a long time."

The Regent had opted to not mention the details of the deal between the Empire and Irvadistan - Ankoren, really. The old capital city of the country, once flying under the Imperial banner and then the Koy banner, had seen extensive damage during the war, and the Ankoreni government apparently saw fit to rebuild it entirely from scratch as a beacon of its vision of "New Nautasia" with help from the Empire. She herself did not have high hopes for the Qiyama project, but then again, it would not come to fruition for a long time - probably longer than most leaders present now would be in office - and she most likely would not have to live in the aftermath.
Last edited by Tuthina on Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Litorea
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 02, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Litorea » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:59 am

President-General Moutari sat at attention through the next volley of comments from the assembled leaders, looking on patiently and jovially. He showed particular interest in what the host, President Uspelevičius's words, nodding in firm agreement as he spoke, particularly when the conversation turned to authoritarianism. It contrasted starkly to his reaction to the Teutonian representative's comments - while it hadn't been as bad as he feared, it still clashed fundamentally with his vision for a new Nautasia, one which stood against the new imperialism the Ankoreni plan constituted.

Once the regent of Tuthina ceased to speak, Moutari almost immediately and characterisically stood, leaned on the desk, and pressed the microphone on button.

"The Litorean government, and I personally, wholeheartedly concur with the sentiment on authoritarianism and dictatorship expressed by our most gracious host, President Uspelevičius. I have made it clear, ever since I first dabbled in foreign matters as a member of the Konsēala, that the only real hope for a prosperous Nautasian future is to create a Nautasia of equals, one in which all peoples of all colors, religions, and creeds may hope to express themselves freely and fully in a continental democratic system and have the right to equitably and fairly pursue whatever routes to prosperity and personal happiness they see fit."

Moutari glanced over to the Ankoreni, Evren Volkan, who had remaining conspicuously silent.

"And that goes for all people's, including those so-called "remnants of colonialism", of whom nearly half of my own country's population takes its stock and its heritage. It is the firm belief of the Litorean government that there can be no such equity, no such Nautasia of equals, without a firm commitment to the development of democratic institutions on the continent. And it is with that belief in mind that I must insist that the proposed Nautasian Development Fund only count democratic nations among its beneficiaries."

Moutari looked away, still standing, looking particularly at the representatives of the large democratic economies.

"I believe that all nations here, those nations that truly have the best interests of the Nautasian continent in mind, agree that there will be no stability in Nautasia without democracy. Democracy gives the frustrated, the concerned, the downtrodden voices. It keeps people in touch with their government and creates a sense of being together, in a common nation. Authoritarianism, of the sort certain countries espouse, is definitionally the rule of a select group over that downtrodden population, with no recourse for those populations except violence, and thus, instability is created.

As we know from experience, there is no greater power through which to spread democracy than the power of the purse. By binding the Nautasian Development Fund to a commitment to support only democratic developing countries in Nautasia, we can convince common Nautasians that democracy works, that it gives them a voice, that it improves their daily lives. A general fund that applied to all Nautasian countries would not only encourage continued aggression on the parts of certain authoritarian states, but it would create an overstretched fund with less resources and less donors. Hence, this fund must be democratic-only, should we truly expect to support the small nations, the impoverished nations, the developing nations of Nautasia.

Should such a restriction on the fund not be created, we shall be collectively dooming that continent, our continent, to a hell of oppression and despotism.

Many thanks."

With those last words, the Litorean President-General took his hand off the microphone button and slouched back into his chair, looking on anxiously yet determinedly. My feet are going to be killing me once this is over, Moutari thought, chuckling internally.
Last edited by Litorea on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:39 am

"His Most Serene Majesty and His Empire disagree with the proposal by the honourable delegate for Litorea. Setting aside the digressing topics on the merits of various political systems, the matter at hand is that Nautasia is just at wake of a brutal war that seeks to tear the continent apart. Igniting the sparks of war and division not long after the last Caliphate banner was torn down and burnt would be counterproductive to stability and prosperity of the continent that our gracious host of the Summit aims to achieve." In many ways, the idea of democracy seems to be not dissimilar to a curious form of venereal disease - it is quite transmissible without proper protection, and for strange reasons, those infected tend to have a strange urge to scratch it and bring it up even in polite company. "His Empire sees no logical reasons to support destabilising proposals to where stability is in painfully short supply."
Last edited by Tuthina on Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Union of Akoren
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Akoren » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:59 am

Volkan and Dündar had sat in complete silence, one hand holding the earpieces, the other making notes, or in Volkan’s case holding his head up. They knew this summit would be difficult, the world has a habit of uniting against nations that succeed, especially if it’s against their desires or for the status quo to remain intact. By remaining silent, not only did they let the so called “troubled states”, primarily Rifat and Litorea express their little emotions and perceived injustices about Ankoren’s god given rise in power and strength, but ensured that they became uncomfortable over their silence.

Dündar passed the necessary notes to Volkan, though in truth his first utterance at the summit was already pre-written. He wasn’t going to respond to the suggestions put forward, as warped and clearly anti-Ankoreni they were. Instead, he would give Ankoren’s most honest appraisal of the free world’s wishes.

He didn’t stand, these people didn’t deserve it. To stand would be offer himself, so he opted to remain seated. Leaning forward after the Litorean finished, caressing his moustache he took a deep breath and cleared his throat.

“Compared to some of you, I have lived and breathed politics for a very long time. I have been a member of the Ankoreni legislature for over twenty-seven years, I have been at the top table of Ankoreni governance for twelve years. In that time I have seem history be made and repeated time and time again. I sat and watched as the first stirrings of the Caliphate scourge arose in Kraq and Irvadistan. I sat and watched as Amin Kamel and Ahmed Hussein discarded the wishes and wants of their people in exchange for their personal enrichment. I sat and watched as these two men, the strongmen of Siphria and others treat the deals for resources by the so-called Free World as more joyous occasions and more vital endeavours than the feeding and educating of their own people.

“I sat and watched as the so-called free world ignored the sectarian abuses of Kamel, Hussein and the government of Nautarya, because it was expedient and beneficial in the pursuit of economic influence. As I progressed to the great office I now hold, I became aware of these happenings and how they directly contribute to the very instability and chaos we’re now here to discuss. When you are in politics as long as I, you become aware swiftly that the world is built upon the foundations of hypocrisy, self-interest and unbridled selfishness.

“Already these dark afflictions have emerged. Even before this summit, demands were made. Criticisms were made. Well I say this. And you all know who are when I say it.

“Where were you when the Caliphate terror bombed?

“Where were you when the Caliphate rounded up Christians, Shias, Sunnis and Yazidis and slaughtered them?

“Where were you when they drove millions from their homes, their lives, their ancestors and relatives?

“Where were you when they enslaved women and young girls into slavery, condemned to comfort these takfiri men and their bestial urges?

“Where were you when they drove over captured Irvadi and Kraqi soldiers with tanks and bulldozers?

“Where were you when they set alight Christian priests and nuns?

“Where were you when the Union intervened decisively?

“Where were you when the Union seized Luqya?

“Where were you when the Union tore down their banners over Irvadi towns and cities?

“Where were and are you as the Union gives hope and homes to 2.8 million Irvadis?

“Where were you when Ankoreni mothers greeted their maimed or dead sons?

“Where were you when the Ankoreni son and daughtered greeted their burnt or maimed fathers? Struggling to recognise the man who fought for them?

“Where were you when the Ankoreni farmer or miner donating his or her hard earned money to give food to a starving Irvadi child?

“Where were you when the Union began rebuilding Irvadi homes?

“Where were you when the Union gave them back electricity, water and gas?

“Where were you when the Union returned dignity to the Irvadi family, who had been driven to utter destitution and dispossession because of war and murder?

“You were in your residences, continuing as normal. You were at home, silent, inside cheering on the end of the terrorist threat and the scourge of the death cult. As sons of the Union fought and died. The Irvadi deserts are now home to Ankoreni dead, not Aininian, Aucurian, Litorean or Rifat – Ankoreni dead. We offered our sons to battle, we offered our beloved fathers, husbands, brothers and sons to violence and death, not you.
“Now you stand here, stating that our actions are endangering Nautasia and its people. Now you claim that we are worse than the Caliphate” he looked directly at Motauri.

“We are the ones who suffered loss, we are ones where mother’s wail for their absent sons. We are the ones who have empty tables. And you claim that we are dangerous, we are a threat? Your pontifications and your petty slogans and soundbites disgust me. Not only do you insult us as a nation, you insult our dead.

“We did what none of you were bold enough to do, we did what none of you had the stomach to do and offer ourselves to cause greater than self-interest. We offered our children and parents and spouses to the people of Irvadistan as their liberators. We did what none of you, ever intended to do and destroy terrorism.

“Your hypocrisy and unlimited scorn is tiresome, your intentions and wishes transparent. Your recognition of human life is questionable.

“You can sit here today and demand for your agendas to be served and met, you can sit here and demand that your ideals and values be spread and accepted and condemn the Union for doing what you never wanted to happen, but knew had to happen. But know it is this, that condemns Nautasia.

"the so-called free world, is forever condemned the repeat the same mistakes, rooted in arrogance, a sense of moral superiority and self-righteousness. You demand an end to poverty, yet do so to forward your own ends. You condemn us for saving 23 million Irvadis from the tyranny and blood soaked ideology of the Caliphate, yet it is because we have forwarded the ideals of community, unity and strength, not division, self-worship and materialism. You condemn us for Irvadistan’s democratic expression of its will, yet do so because it steals from you, one more poor developing nation to experiment upon through your politically infused economic promises of investment and trade.

“Know that we are not sorry, we will never be sorry. We will never be sorry for our dead that lay inside Irvadistan’s soil, we will never be sorry for giving Irvadistan its dignity and self-worth back. And we will never be sorry, offering Irvadistan and indeed the Ankoreni people, the chance to make something positive out of the war, a new nation, a new society, where all Nautasian peoples are equal and cherished. I am not sorry and I will never be sorry”

"So please, do not sit there and seek to condemn us or suggest ideas for a post-Caliphate Nautasia that seeks to undermine what we have done, because it is not what you hoped would come about. Because what you want and what you wanted, could never happen, because you never intended to fight terrorism yourselves.
Volkan ceased. Placing the paper that carried his speech back down. He took a sip of his water and lent back, placing his hand against the earpiece, ready for the response of lesser peoples.
Last edited by Union of Akoren on Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korizland
Attaché

Founded: Nov 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Korizland » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 pm

Liūčaris Manor
Grand Chancellor Colin Woodruff, Earl Westerby

"Many of us are dealing with terrorist organizations of our own," Chancellor Westerby replied to the Ankoren's speech. "As much as I would like to be able to send our armed forces off to fight injustice in every part of the globe, Korizland simply does not have the resources to do so while also dealing with matters at home. That said, we are not indifferent to the situation across Nautasia. A lot of nations need heavy infrastructural development and many members of the international community would be willing to help, but, to put it bluntly, we are potentially discussing massive loans and grants for this endeavor. There would need to be assurances that this money will make its way into roads and water works and not private bank accounts or the hands of weapons dealers. There are a number of nations in Nautasia that do not have the best track records on these topics, and are further complicated by a history of human rights abuses. The point of this is to help people, not build better mouse traps for them."

Litorea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Litorea » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:48 pm

Union of Akoren wrote:-snip-

The Litorean President-General sat stiffly - almost uncomfortably - throughout Volkan's speech, his head resting on his clasped hands. He kept himself completely still, his eyes straying only to look down in shame as Volkan expounded on the failure of the democratic nations of the world - including Litorea, possibly one of the most likely nations to have intervened - to contain the Caliphate. A valid point, he thought, sighing as he sifted through his dossiers for a split second before perking up and leaving them be. For the rest of the speech - the railing against self-righteousness, the praising of the new order in Irvadistan, the refusal to apologize - he stood completely still, his deep brown eyes locked on Volkan with some strange mix between hatred and agreement.

With a sigh, as Volkan ceased to speak with further condemnations and shunnings, Moutari reached into the pocket of his suit jacket and clasped a pair of black reading glasses, before fitting them over his nose. For a few long seconds, Moutari mulled over his rebuttal, thought over the Ankoreni's speech, and finally, decided to reply. He uncharacteristically remained seated as he began his rebuttal with a soft press of the microphone button.

"President Volkan, assembled leaders," he began speaking, a sigh escaping his mouth. "I shall not attempt to defend the righteous criticism lobbed at my country, and certain others assembled here, that we have acted insufficiently in ending the tyranny of the Caliphate - because it is simply that. It is indefensible. It is indefensible that we did not act. It is especially indefensible that Litorea, a country so close, with such ability to stop the Caliphate menace, did not do so. Decades from now, when the new face of Nautasia is seen, our failure to act - not simply the failure of the previous government, but the failure of the Litorean nation to act - against a threat so heinous and so nearby will be seen as one of the world's great disgraces."

President-General Moutari looked down for a second, before taking a breath and looking up, a hint of determination in his eye. "We shall not make the same mistake twice. We shall not make the same mistake at a crossroads when we may decide whether this 'new Nautasia' will become prosperous, stable, and free, or dictatorial, despotic, and tyrannical. We shall not make the same mistake when even now, a nation in distress, being thrust into the midst of a civil war driven by terror and injustice, begs us for aid."

Suddenly, the Nautasian leader stood at attention, his hand still pressing the microphone on button, staring straight at the Ankoreni president with an iron gaze. "President Volkan, you have criticized the Litorean state for its failure to act. You have criticized us for our failure to send the men of our nation to fight for a righteous cause. You have criticized us for staying in our air-conditioned condominiums and eating the finest of meals and sleeping in our warm, clean beds as our fellow Nautasians languished under the threat of a rogue Islamic power. All of these criticisms are valid and all are shameful truths. President Volkan, I have heard your lament over this state of affairs, and I personally guarantee you, not as the leader of Litorea, but as a man - if it is a more active Litorea you desire, then it is a more active Litorea you shall receive."

With a flourish, the Litorean straightened up, looking around at the assembled world leaders. "Your excellencies, nearly 200 years ago, in 1839, brave Litorean men and women stood up and decided that they shall no longer suffer under the shackles of a tyrannical foreign power. They assembled in Mendevel and decided that the continued offenses committed by the Kingdom of Seville upon us was too much to bear, and thusly,
they declared that the first of the Litorean republics would declare independence. What resulted was 17 years of constant warfare in the newly-freed Litorean republics, fighting which resulted in the deaths of untold thousands of Litorean men, women, and children, who died to establish a state in which all free citizens could live without the unjust arbitrations of a foreign autocrat."

His gaze turned once again to the Ankoreni president. "President Volkan, you criticize us for failing to shed blood in defense of our continent. I bring up the Litorean Wars of Independence to remind you - we were the first to fight for our continent. We were the first to die for our continent. We died because we thought of ourselves not as a colonial people but as a proud, free, and independent society, one molded by our Nautasian continent and not some high society in Conitia. I bring up that conflict to say that the fighting spirit of the Litorean nation and its government has not died out. I bring up that conflict to say that our ancestors suffered the same in the name of Nautasia, and that that example resounded across the continent from Rifat to Nautarya. I bring up that conflict because it is self-evident that President Volkan considers the worth of a nation not to be in its institutions nor in its traditions, but in the price of the blood it has spilt. We have spilt that blood. President Volkan desires that we spill more. If that is what the President truly desires, the Litorean Union will oblige."

With no further words, President-General Moutari sat back down, took off his glasses, and sat silently, maintaining a locked gaze with his Ankoreni counterpart.
Last edited by Litorea on Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Qianrong
Diplomat

Founded: May 13, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Qianrong » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:40 pm

Nisimura drummed his fingers on the table as a selection of various foreign leaders spoke. The naive Aucurian president- clearly in over his head- kept repeating his statements about peace and democracy, attempting to subtly compare Evren Volkan to Hussein and Kamel, and generally not contributing anything specific or constructive. Meanwhile, a veritable litany of leaders- Antelope, Cao, Moutari, and Benboulaid at the minimum- began to make their attacks on an increasingly irate Volkan. But while seeing Xiaodong's closest non-Tuthinan ally near-universally condemned brought Nisimura some slight pleasure (especially the bit where Volkan explicitly attacked Aucuria for not doing more to combat the Caliphate- as though there was so much a small potato-farming country could do about a conflict halfway across Esquarium), it quickly came to seem that the summit was likely to devolve in Evren Volkan being denounced, followed by Evren Volkan shouting at his denouncers, followed by more denunciations. At least Agapov and Simpsen have shut up, he thought. Maybe I won't have to lose any more of my brain cells to them today.

Finally, Nisimura turned his microphone on to speak. "Fellow leaders, it is abundantly clear that we could go back-and-forth all day over our various national and political rivalries, but we have been called here to produce some tangible good for the peoples of Esquarium, not play petty politics with each other. I believe that perhaps our conversation should return to more constructive proposals."

"I would like to express Senria's support for the proposal made by President-General Antelope on adopting a statement reaffirming the principle of territorial integrity within Nautasia and internationally. I would also like to express my support for the proposals made by Her Imperial Highness the Regent of Tuthina, President-General Antelope, Foreign Minister Benboulaid of Rifat, and President Moutari of Litorea regarding the creation of some sort of development fund for Nautasia. It is clear that we must work to build or rebuild infrastructure in Nautasia as a prerequisite to any sort of long-term stability or growth."

"While I also understand the reasoning behind the proposed... ideological restrictions, I do not believe there is any way to enforce such restrictions without it turning into controversy," he continued. Senria also did not have the obstinate democratic fervor that certain other participants did, and Nisimura did not much care whether or not Senrian money went to a functioning democracy or an outright dictatorship, but rather if it went to a potentially friendly state, or to a state that had aligned itself with Senria's enemies. "Perhaps, instead of ideological restrictions, we could establish some upper limit on national GDP or GDP per capita for receiving support from this fund, in order to make sure that any support is heading to the countries that need it the most."

"Furthermore, I would like to second the idea of working to integrate the economies of Nautasia with the global Esquarian economy in the interest of raising the standard of living there. I believe it is obvious that economic integration would provide great opportunities for both Nautasians and non-Nautasians, with extensive and perhaps desperately needed economic benefits for all parties. I would be more than willing to encourage some of Senria's corporations to invest in creating jobs and building infrastructure in Nautasia." The keiretu would love the opportunity, he thought. Senria's economy had been stagnating and his government had begun pushing them to retrain their employees for white-collar positions while outsourcing blue-collar jobs, and Nautasia had a large supply of cheap labor and potential customers. Maybe I should see if I can talk to President Moutari about opening up Litorea to Senrian business.

Nisimura leaned back in his seat and turned off his microphone. Now we see if Yuan Xiannian reflexively gives a speech denouncing the very concepts of peace, development, and currency as Senrian cultural imperialism, he thought.
Last edited by Qianrong on Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly Ruridova - Come join Kylaris!
---"Don't kill, and don't be killed, alright? That's the best you can strive for."---

Karazawa
Attaché

Founded: May 09, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Karazawa » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:48 am

Obraq Sokkan did not like the turn of event. Despite his try at stopping things from escalading further, it seems it proved impossible for the democracies to hold it to themselves and they had to make speeches about the greatness and superiority of their system. Which would have been bearable in other situations, but when you where in a closed room with five out of twenty-six peoples not sharing the same republican ideals, and after a clear sign by one of theses that such self-praising will not be tolerated, it was just searching for troubles.

So of course, in a "rigthfull" indignation, Evren Volkan delivered what was an impressive monologue to humble thoses who clearly saw themselves as his opponents.

"The most dangerous weapon of them all : the Truth." Mentaly noted the Yrateq. It was a common mistake to think a politician can only lie. Not that it was wrong, only that a good politician know how to lie and tell the truth, often at the same time.

And of course, now that the truth has been told, albeit in a very self-serving way, the democratic leaders had two choices : either ignore Volkan and change the subject, or concede and play the role of the guilty.

When the Litorean President took the microphone, Obraq already saw in his eyes he choosed to be guilty.

"In a way Volkan only offered him what he wanted." he thought.

Now it was too late. Sukhera answered for all of thoses who opposed Ankoren. He could say whatever he wanted after his first few phrases, he already accepted defeat. His wish to "fight" another day was good, but doesn't matter at the moment.

Obraq leaned forward again and activated his microphone.

"Karazawa agree to what has been said by their excellencies, the President-General Antelope and Prime Minister Nisimura, about the adoption of a statement about the territorial integrity of all Esquarian nations. It is a pre-requisite to all discussions today and we cannot move forward if we do not agree on this point.

We once again re-afirm our wish to see the creation of a fund to help Nautasian nation in needs to rebuilt their infrastructures, under the watch of mandated agents to make sure the funds graciously offered by the international community will be invested in the right sectors, and to facilitate their integration into the global Esquarian economy, where they will be able to produce real wealth for the benefit of their peoples. We also strongly disagree with the proposed ideological restrictions and would prefer economical ones, to make sure only the nations in need access to thoses loans and not only the friends of a few. For theses limitations, we propose that only countries with a GDP per capita of less than $6,000 and a growth rate inferior to 1% to be eligible to receive funding. This way we believe only the nation trully in need will receive our help."

Obraq turned off his microphone, took a sip of water and waited for the reactions.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Tue Jul 18, 2017 11:44 am

Agapov had done his best to remain silent after the apology for having tabled such an idiotic and moronic proposal. But as the discussion moved towards a development fund, Damir began to agree with the suggestions made by Hayato Nisimura to establish some sort of upper limit to the development fund, and to not include political strings.

When the Karazawan Yrateq, Obraq Sokkan made his suggestion to only restrict the funds to those with a GDP per capita of six thousand dollars, and with a growth rate of less than a few percent, Agapov knew that it would greatly harm certain regions. Especially Irvadistan.

With some hesitation, he turned on the microphone.

"I agree with the suggestion posed by the Senrian Prime Minister, Hayato Nisimura, to establish an upper limit and to not have political strings attached to the Nautasian development fund. Our main priority should be to help alleviate the conditions experienced by the Nautasian who have suffered from poverty, and war."

"After all, you cannot exactly build a democracy on starving children. You cannot build a democracy on people without homes, without jobs, and without hope. If you attempt to build democratic institutions without improving the standards of living for the average citizen, if you attempt to build such institutions without bringing any benefits, you should not be surprised when in a few years, they vote someone who promises all of these things, and then proceeds to get rid of the democratic institutions."

"While the GDP per capita of six thousand dollars is fine, I believe that if the growth rate is less than five percent, they should be eligible to receive aid from the development fund," Agapov remarked. "However, there are regions in more prosperous nations in Nautasia that still have poverty, that still experience poor living conditions, and lag substantially behind that of other regions in their countries. To deny the funding of these regions to bring up their standard of living to that of the rest of the country is ludicrous."

"Take Irvadistan. When they join Ankoren, Ankoren will have to provide economic support to help Irvadistan catch up to the rest of the united state. If that united state was allowed access to the development fund to help develop Irvadistan, to help rebuild it after decades of civil war and civil strife, it will mean that the Ankorenis won't have to bear a huge burden in rebuilding Irvadistan from all the conflict that it has experienced."

Agapov had a sip of water, and nervously glanced at the rest of the table. Clearly, the rest of the attendees are losing more and more of their brain cells with every word that he has spoken.

"The Christian Republic would also agree with the ideal of integrating Nautasian economies into the global economy to help raise the standard of living in Nautasia, for the reasons pointed out by the Prime Minister of Senria."

He turned off his microphone. Now, to try and remain silent so to spare the brain cells of the rest of the attendees...
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Montecara
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 18, 2013
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Montecara » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:51 pm

Everàrd Torsièl had so far been silent, and with good reason. He searched his mind for an apt metaphor for what had just transpired: a rocket exploding on the launchpad? A plane crashing shortly after takeoff? The one that fit the best -- really, the only one that he found useful -- was one that a taciturn colleague had whispered to him during a similarly fractious meeting when he was a young trade unionist: "You can't get fucked if you don't go to the orgy."

Best to stay silent, in other words. Now that tempers were cooling, he felt that it was time to speak.

"Fellow Esquarians, good morning. It is always an honor to be in the company of the world's most influential figures. I am encouraged by the passion that we have all seen so far," he said with a barely perceptible smile.

"But now that pleasantries are out of the way, it is time to direct that passion into action. After all, our task is to draft a concrete and actionable declaration. As we do so, let us keep in mind certain guiding principles.

First, given that the present item on the agenda is the future of Nautasia, it is the right and responsibility of Nautasian countries themselves to articulate their vision for the future of their continent and to tell the rest of the world what role we should play in it. The age of imperialism has long passed, and until fears of external meddling can be set aside, it will be impossible for a partnership of equals to develop.

Of course, national self-determination must always be tempered with respect for human rights and the rights of minorities. It is the right and responsibility of the international community to safeguard these rights where necessary.

The proposals that have so far been put forward -- a statement regarding territorial integrity and a development fund -- certainly hold promise, but we should not get lost in details before we have the opportunity to consider all our options. Deepened economic integration between Nautasia and the rest of the world is another worthy idea, but such integration should not come at the expense of Nautasians or take on an exploitative, extractive character.

For our own part, the Esquarian Community is more than ready to be a partner in Nautasia's economic and social development. We are uniquely situated as the world's largest single economy to act in unison, to reduce barriers to trade, to open markets to Nautasian goods, and to contribute to infrastructure development in the continent. We only require that any such actions take place on Nautasia's terms.

Thank you, and we look forward to a constructive summit."
Last edited by Montecara on Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Litorea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Litorea » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:40 pm

President-General Sukhera continued to sit stiffly under the watchful eyes of republicans past, maintaining a firm gaze at the Ankoreni president. Once the summit once again began to cool down, that gaze became more and more half-hearted until he finally broke it and returned to his usual jovial and confident demeanor, looking around the chamber with no target in particular as the development fund came to the fore again. Silently, as the Karazawan, the Luziycan, and the Montecaran spoke, he began to mull over his options for once again taking the helm of the fund he had proposed.

Obviously, his demanded democratic restriction on the fund was quickly being shot down and had become untenable for the global consensus. Fair enough, he thought - it was more of an off-the-cuff attempt to keep up a veneer of being a democratic crusader anyway. Then came the GDP per capita restriction. Also fair enough, thought Sukhera - it would deny Litorea a stake in the fund, but it would also keep the Ankorenis out of it. Then came a mildly distressing proposoal from Agapov of Luziyca - that which would allow sub-national entities to claim funds. The thought of Ankoren's dominions themselves being able to benefit off of the fund he had proposed nearly sickened him - it would certainly have resulted in tough questions from his Cabinet and the public. He quickly reassured himself by thinking of certain regions within the Litorean Union itself -
some of the Nautasian countries - which passed the proposed GDP per capita and growth restrictions handily. One of his campaign promises earlier in the year had been the development of the Nautasian countries,
a pursuit which would have obstructed Litorea's potential for military modernization. With the international community subsidizing such development, the pathway would be made clear.

With a smirk in his trademark "jolly uncle"-like style, Sukhera once again pressed down on the button and began to speak.

"The Litorean Union agrees with all proposals set out by the Luziycan and Karazawan representatives, including the GDP per capita and GDP growth limits," he began. "The Litorean government believes that such measures would help prevent corruption in the development fund and ensure an equitable distribution of economic growth in Nautasia. The Litorean government also backs the proposal from Luziycan President Agapov that sub-national divisions be allowed to claim such funds. Litorea, especially, is one of the most unequal countries in Esquarium, a sad state which my government has pledged to stamp out. Much of this inequality is due to the lack of economic development in the country's interior. Allowing sub-national divisions, such as the interior Nautasian countries of Litorea, and-" Sukhera paused. "-the UNIR region of Irvadistan would redress this inequality across the continent." The President-General ceased speaking.

Sukhera almost reached for the microphone button again, prepared to push for the prospect of having the fund be headquartered in Kasabira, before quickly relenting and returning to his briefs. Too soon, he thought.
Last edited by Litorea on Tue Jul 18, 2017 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Union of Akoren
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Union of Akoren » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:34 pm

After battering the room into silence, Volkan knew his pre-written statement had succeeded. Now they knew, truly knew, that without the Union there would be no declaration, no progress, nothing. Ankoren now counted truly as the master of Nautasia. Now, both here and outside in reality, the great task was to secure that and expand upon it.

In truth, both Volkan and Dündar were impressed by the proposal for a Nautasian investment fund, all they had to do now was to secure it as neutral as possible, but also as an avenue for funds to assist in the rebuilding of Irvadistan.

Leaning forward after the Litorean finished his waffling, Volkan once again spoke, this time with a more jovial tone.

“I believe that a fund for the poorest and most destitute Nautasian communities is a noble and valid proposal. One that will receive our support.

“On the , we would agree with the need to permit national sub-divisions to be recipients. On the 28th July, the Union of Nautasian Islamic Republics will be formally created and with that comes the great responsibility of rebuilding Irvadistan. While Ankoren now as a nation, and later as a federal entity will do all it can through the federal system to rebuild the devastated yet dogged and determined nation, assistance from the wider world will be needed.

“If we wish to abolish poverty, we must not confine the fund’s application to exceptional cases or countries the funders would find more palpable” Volkan looked next to him to Cao, to the Litorean and the Aucurian.
“By assisting the Irvadi people in rebuilding their lives, we can abolish poverty there. It is war-torn, more so than Nautarya or Rifat, it would be intolerable and inhumane for others to deny it access to the fund, because of misplaced opinions of its federal nation.

“This fund, should be an international endeavour, and so I make one proposal and one promise. The proposal that, the fund being international, should be headquartered somewhere international. Where is not an issue particularly, but to avoid the politicking that would result from it being headquartered in Nautasia, it must be headed elsewhere." He knew that they would never allow Estanban to be home to the fund's administration center, and so, if Ankoren could not house it, no one in Nautasia can.

“As for the promise, by permitting Irvadistan’s access to the fund, the Union and soon the UNIR will issue laws prohibiting the funds reaching either Ankoren or Pasdan, once they become sub-divisions of the Union of Nautasian Islamic Republics. This is fair and just. And a promise” Volkan smiled.

Namor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Namor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:59 pm

"I am in favor of economic prerequisites to receiving aid from the development fund," President-General Antelope said. "Adding on to what Prime Minister Nisimura said, attaching explicitly...political conditions is impractical. There is no universally accepted method of distinguishing between democracies and autocracies. Not to mention a number of governments in the world are democratically elected but violate their people's rights. How would political conditions proposed by some of my colleagues apply in these situations?

"Thus, it is my opinion that a country's political system should not be a determining factor behind whether the country is eligible for aid. If there is to be a development fund, eligible recipients should indicate a genuine need for aid as well as a verified ability to put that aid into good use so that it is not misused.

"Additionally, I am in favor of allowing regions to request for aid from the development fund, as well as the need to ensure that the fund is as politically neutral as possible so we can avoid prejudices against certain countries. If the fund is to be headquartered outside of Nautasia, as President Volkan had suggested, we in Namor are willing to host it. But that is another matter for another setting."

Antelope Shohai paused and looked at the papers beneath him. Now that the summit had largely agreed to a development fund, he wanted to bring up another set of issues involving Nautasia that, in his view, needed to be readdressed.

"Fellow delegates...some of you may recall that in the last summit, we agreed to an eventual withdrawal of most non-Nautasian military forces from certain Nautasian countries once the threat of terrorism is reduced. At present, there are over 40,000 non-Nautasian soldiers in Kraq, assisting Kraqi forces in eradicating residual terrorist elements in that country. While their presence is supported by the Xiangmen declaration, the threat posed by the so-called Caliphate is dwindling as we speak. It is more important than ever that we work towards fulfilling the vision for Nautasia that we agreed to in Xiangmen - a Nautasia whose destiny is controlled by the people of Nautasia, whose security is maintained by the people of Nautasia.

"The sooner we can realize this vision, the better. Therefore, I believe it is in the best interests of this summit to not just call for the respect of sovereignty and territorial integrity of Nautasian countries, but also to reaffirm the need of a working group that will determine when the conditions are ripe for a withdrawal of most non-Nautasian military forces from the continent to take place - in accordance with the Xiangmen declaration, which from the outset endorsed the establishment of such a group."
Last edited by Namor on Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Aucuria
Envoy

Founded: Jan 24, 2015
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Aucuria » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:48 pm

As the various leaders continued to talk, Uspelevičius began typing up a draft for the first section of what he hoped would be the Kalnaspilis Declaration- the agreement that would hopefully be produced by the visiting leaders and released at the end of the summit. As he wrote, he drew from the various points made by the attending leaders and from the summit that had been produced the previous year in Xiangmen, trying to avoid being too vague or too specific. In particular he had to remind himself that the summit could not easily charter an organization, and found himself forced to change the entire section on the Nautasian development fund.

Finally, though, he reached a point where he was comfortable putting the draft out for discussion. The visiting leaders would be allowed to make suggestions on altering the declaration, on adding or removing articles, or changing lines, and similar things. Hopefully, though, the draft would be broadly acceptable and they would be able to agree upon it quickly.

"Alright," he said, turning on his microphone. "I've taken the suggestions and proposals that have been made here thus far and drafted a set of articles for the Declaration of the Fourth Esquarian Summit on the future of Nautasia." He took a sip of water, then began to read:

ON THE FUTURE OF NAUTASIA

1. The attendees of the Fourth Esquarian Summit recognize that the terrorist group known as the so-called “Caliphate”, responsible for thousands of atrocities and the widespread destabilization of Nautasia, has been largely defeated. However, they also recognize that Nautasia continues to face several serious problems, including endemic poverty, severe political instability, continuing insurgency, and international conflict. Many of these issues existed prior to the outbreak of the conflict against the Caliphate, and continue to imperil security, prosperity, and stability within Nautasia, putting millions of Nautasians at risk.

2. The Summit affirms that the nations of Nautasia should be treated as equals politically, socially, and economically by each other and by the global community, and that the rest of Esquarium should work proactively alongside Nautasia to build a Nautasia of equals.

3. The Summit understands the role that non-Nautasian nations can play in promoting security, prosperity, and stability in Nautasia. At the same time, the Summit recognizes that the people and nations of Nautasia are ultimately the ones who must control the future of their continent, and that the creation of long-term peace and prosperity rests upon the Nautasian people, not upon external actors.

4. The Summit hereby calls for the creation of an international fund for the development of Nautasia, open to all Nautasian countries, regardless of ethnic makeup, religious makeup, or political ideology.
a. In order to guarantee that funds are directed towards the nations most in need of support, the fund should be open to all Nautasian nations with a gross domestic product per capita of less that $6,000 and a growth rate of less than 1%.
b. The fund should be open to subnational entities, including subnational entities in nations that overall do not meet the criteria established in subsection (a).
c. To guarantee the political impartiality of this fund, the Summit agrees that the headquarters of the fund should be established in a location outside the continent of Nautasia.

5. The Summit reaffirms the critical importance and inviolability of territorial integrity in international law and the international order of sovereign states, particularly within Nautasia, as it did during the Third Esquarian Summit. Furthermore, it also affirms the importance of the right of Nautasian states to peacefully develop free of external intimidation, exploitation, or destabilization.
a. In the interests of guaranteeing the independence and territorial integrity of Nautasian nations, the Summit further reaffirms the need for an international working group dedicated to determining when conditions will permit for a withdrawl of non-Nautasian military forces from the continent.
b. This withdrawal will not apply to non-Nautasian personnel who were stationed in military bases sanctioned by binding treaties prior to the outbreak of conflict, non-Nautasian forces operating in internationally-recognized dependencies of their countries, and non-Nautasian military advisers assisting Nautasian countries in maintaining stability at the request of said nations’ governments.

6. The Summit reaffirms its recognition of the role that popular dissatisfaction with substandard social, economic, and political conditions plays in the instability facing Nautasia, as it did during the Third Esquarian Summit. Furthermore, it once again calls on Nautasian nations to create a more inclusive environment for their people, in the name of combating instability and terrorism.

7. The Summit reaffirms the condemnation of all state-backed and state-sponsored terrorism that it made at the Third Esquarian Summit, and declares that any government found to be overtly or covertly supporting terrorist groups financially or militarily is liable to be condemned or otherwise sanctioned.

8. The Summit encourages the greater integration of the Nautasian economy into the overall Esquarian economy, including investment by non-Nautasian nations and groups in Nautasian nations, the integration of Nautasian labor and markets into the global economy, and the reduction of tariffs between Nautasian and non-Nautasian nations.

"This is only a draft," he said after a pause to designate that he was done reading the proposed text. "We can continue to debate the proposals contained within, and you all are free to propose adding or removing material from the proposed articles as you see fit. We'll continue debating until we've produced a consensus agreement, at which point we can adjourn for lunch."

He then turned his microphone off to let the visiting leaders debate the draft declaration.
Alt of Ruridova - Come join Esquarium!
---"Don't kill, and don't be killed, alright? That's the best you can strive for."---

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:54 pm

Cao listened to the speeches made by other world leaders, politely nodding along to a few key points while jotting down some notes to review with Micheaux later in the day. He even kept this up as Volkan spoke; as a ceremonial head of state whose involvement in day-to-day politics was minimal, Cao was yet to develop Lotbinière's deep antipathy for Estanban.

"I have no objections to the institution of a development fund," Cao said in a rather muted voice, visibly not very interested in his job. "Ainin will contribute to this fund upon its creation and will not discriminate against any eligible recipient, as it is in the interest of the entire world to have a prosperous Nautasia interconnected with the world economy."

"While it is a hope and aim of the Aininian government to promote democracy in Nautasia, we must agree that having it as a criteria for admissibility would cause unnecessary disputes owing to the vague criteria for such a classification. Seeing broad consensus in this regard, I also give my support to the threshold for eligibility."

After taking a look at the draft, he took it in without much emotion until he got to the end and his eyebrow promptly shot up. Something was missing.

"Thank you for this constructive draft, Mr. President," he said as he turned to Uspelevičius. "I believe that this draft sums up the conclusions of our discussions on all issues but one quite nicely. If we are truly to have, as the draft states, a Nautasia of equals, it must be explicitly reaffirmed by the international community that the sovereignty and territorial integrity of all Nautasian states is sacrosanct. fuck me i'm blind"
Last edited by Ainin on Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:55 pm

"The Christian Republic has no objection to the current draft as it stands right now," Agapov remarked.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Korizland
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Korizland » Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:18 pm

"I'm afraid I do have several issues. To put it plainly, there is currently only one real military power in Nautasia, and as has been noted several times already, much of the continent remains highly unstable. Withdrawing international forces now will leave power vacuums that could result in a resurgence of terror activity, particularly among those who would consider themselves heirs to the Caliphate. Nautasian nations need continued assistance while they stabilize themselves. Training, operations support, intelligence, intergovernmental cooperation. Now I know that Korizland has not been a major player in the Caliphate conflict, but if that's what it takes, I'm willing push my parliament to support funding for Koriz advisory missions to Nautasian countries attempting to stabilize themselves. Trying to build up a region economically is a waste of time if everything we build will be destroyed or taken over by terrorist organizations. Paragraph 5.b exempts advisory missions, but a general statement for drawing down all forces is, in my opinion, ill-advised.

"Further, while this summit will have further session on human rights, a number of Nautasian nations have had particular struggles with ensuring these basic rights to their people. We need to make a firm and clear declaration to the world and Nautasia that we are not just footing the bill to build up palaces for despots while their people languish under iron-fisted rule. I would hope many of us would balk at saving people from a frying pan only to throw them into a fire."

Pavonistade
Minister

Founded: Jan 26, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Pavonistade » Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:57 pm

"No objections will be offered to the draft at hand," President Simpsen stated briefly, once he was done with scrutinizing the draft from President Uspelevičius. Considering how Pavonistade had very few interests in Nautasia and how certain topics to be covered would be much more significant (and relevant to the president), there was little point for Simpsen to say anything in the preceding discussions.
Political Compass:
Economic Left/Right: -0.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
President: Calvin Elmore
Vice President: Otakta Sgriki
IIwiki | Glossary | I don't use NS stats
[NEWS] Pavonistadian researchers make breakthrough in Terahertz wave generation and modulation | Selective screening protocols in place amid coronavirus concerns | "The USA is the greatest threat to Pavonistadian security," states interior minister

Namor
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Namor » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:14 pm

"I would like to point out that this draft does not call for an immediate withdrawal of non-Nautasian forces, for that would be both impractical and unhelpful. Instead, the declaration calls on all countries directly involved in the fight against the Caliphate to set up a group that will decide, by consensus, the right time for the withdrawal of most non-Nautasian military personnel from the continent. Establishing this group will serve as the first step towards giving the Nautasian countries near-complete control over their own security, which leaders agreed in Xiangmen to be in the best interests of the Nautasian people," President-General Antelope said.

"The summit should support transferring to Nautasian countries the tools they need to stabilize themselves, thereby allowing them to spearhead efforts to address future security issues on the continent, whatever they may be. We agreed to this in Xiangmen, and it is my hope that we can reiterate our commitment in Kalnaspilis and future summits until the end goal of a Nautasia stabilized by Nautasians is realized.

"Concerning human rights, the draft acknowledges 'popular dissatisfaction with substandard social, economic, and political conditions' is a key factor behind instability in Nautasia. It also calls for Nautasian governments to build more inclusive environments for their people - the language used in the Xiangmen declaration. The meaning behind these phrases cannot be any clearer.

"To conclude,"
the President-General cleared his throat, turning towards President Uspelevičius, "President Uspelevičius' draft reiterates basic principles contained in the Xiangmen declaration but also...updates the Xiangmen declaration in order to...conform with changing facts on the ground. I have no objections to this draft in its present form."

Litorea
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Litorea » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:48 pm

President-General Moutari sat back thoughtfully as the Aucurian host began to read aloud the beginnings of what could be a Kalnaspilis Declaration. His eyes looking down and his hands clasped together,
he nodded slowly and gently as the pieces of the draft were read, from section 1 to section 8, even cracking a touch of a grin as the phrase "a Nautasia of equals" was read out - his own line. Once President Uspelevičius ceased to read, the Litorean leader sat back as the first round of objections and concurrences were said and raised his hand, the other pressing down on the microphone button.

"The Litorean Union agrees with the majority of the declaration as stated by our gracious Aucurian host. However, Litorea holds two objections to this draft - Section 4c and Section 5."

Moutari took a deep breath and began to pontificate as usual.

"First and foremost among our objections is that of Section 4c, which, quite simply, amounts to denying Nautasian oversight of Nautasian funds, and would result in an impotent development fund with severely restricted capacity to effectively manage the funds and ensure that those funds are being spent in a way beneficial to the Nautasian people. To demand that the Nautasian Development Fund be headquartered outside of Nautasia is as farcical as demanding that the headquarters of Cenba be located in West Cedarbrook or demanding that Nevanlinna be home to the Nautasian and Other Football Confederation. It denies Nautasian people the right to be in direct contact with the source of their funds and practically guarantees that the managers of the fund will begin funding presidential palaces instead of roads, schools, and harbors, not out of malice, but due to a simple inability to easily audit allocated funds."

Moutari cleared his throat before continuing. "The Litorean Union finds that the justification for demanding that the fund's headquarters be located overseas is extremely weak. Simply being located outside of the continent does not guarantee neutrality. Such a fact would easily be found out if these assembled nations see fit to place the fund in Ainin, or Koyro, or Teutonia, or whichever other ideological world power. In addition,
an overseas-based fund would guarantee that the fund would be subjected to constant accusations of imperialistic tendencies and being far-removed from the concerns of actual Nautasians. Hence, within months the fund would become a widely-hated symbol of foreign paternalism over the Nautasian continent."

The speaking leader looked around at the assembled leaders, speaking with open arms. "Should these assembled nations find neutrality to be a significant concern for the fund, the Litorean government would like to suggest Pisdara as a possible host nation. Its small population and remote location ensures that it would hold little direct political power over the direction of the fund, yet the fund would remain close to the people and the countries that it ought to be serving. Of course, such a move would be up to the government of Pisdara to confirm, but regardless, the Litorean Union cannot abide by any attempts to keep the fund located outside of Nautasia."

"Now, on to our second objection, Section 5," the President-General said, hands down firmly on the table. "Litorea agrees wholeheartedly with the idea that Nautasia ought to be free of foreign intimidation and influence. However, the section as worded would prohibit Nautasian nations from allowing foreign troops on their soil even as part of a mutually-consented-to defense agreement, or as part of an international defense alliance. Ironically, such a measure would do the opposite as intended - it would infringe on the national sovereignty of Nautasian nations, even if in spirit the opposite was intended. Of course, non-Nautasian forces that were stationed on the continent as part of anti-Caliphate actions should be removed. However, Litorea humbly asks the assembled leaders of this summit not to infringe on the rights of Nautasian countries to associate internationally, even if that international association encompasses foreign military presence."

With a gasp for air, President-General Moutari took his hand off the microphone button and sat back down, his arms crossed as he sized up the other world leaders.
Last edited by Litorea on Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Korizland
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Korizland » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:31 pm

"Korizland was not present in Xiangmen, and if we were we would have objected to that language then. Our commitment has to be first and foremost a stable, prosperous and free Nautasia, not saying that we're ready to pack it in and go home, and certainly not with mealy mouthed commitments to human rights that mean whatever the reader wants them to mean. We need to lay out specific points, and I'm not against tying development funds to commitments to meeting those metrics. There are countries in Nautasia that allow extrajudicial killings, disappearance of dissidents, and have made sodomy an executable offense. That might have been acceptable a thousand years ago. Today it represents a significant failure on all our parts. A declaration of principles without specific points isn't worth the paper it's written on. Let's lay it out. Let's actually commit to a Nautasia that is free of governmental bigotry, where innocent until proven guilty is the assumption, and where the government can be freely criticized without fear of retribution."

Aucuria
Envoy

Founded: Jan 24, 2015
Liberal Democratic Socialists

Postby Aucuria » Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:11 pm

Uspelevičius turned on his microphone and read a newly-revised version of the draft to the assembled leaders:

ON THE FUTURE OF NAUTASIA

1. The attendees of the Fourth Esquarian Summit recognize that the terrorist group known as the so-called “Caliphate”, responsible for thousands of atrocities and the widespread destabilization of Nautasia, has been largely defeated. However, they also recognize that Nautasia continues to face several serious problems, including endemic poverty, severe political instability, continuing insurgency, and international conflict. Many of these issues existed prior to the outbreak of the conflict against the Caliphate, and continue to imperil security, prosperity, and stability within Nautasia, putting millions of Nautasians at risk.

2. The Summit affirms that the nations of Nautasia should be treated as equals politically, socially, and economically by each other and by the global community, and that the rest of Esquarium should work proactively alongside Nautasia to build a Nautasia of equals.

3. The Summit understands the role that non-Nautasian nations can play in promoting security, prosperity, and stability in Nautasia. At the same time, the Summit recognizes that the people and nations of Nautasia are ultimately the ones who must control the future of their continent, and that the creation of long-term peace and prosperity rests upon the Nautasian people, not upon external actors.

4. The Summit hereby calls for the creation of an international fund for the development of Nautasia, open to all Nautasian countries, regardless of ethnic makeup, religious makeup, or political ideology.
a. In order to guarantee that funds are directed towards the nations most in need of support, the fund should be open to all Nautasian nations with a gross domestic product per capita of less that $6,000 and a growth rate of less than 1%.
b. The fund should be open to subnational entities, including subnational entities in nations that overall do not meet the criteria established in subsection (a).
c. To guarantee the political impartiality of this fund, the Summit agrees that the headquarters of the fund should be established in a location outside the continent of Nautasia.

4. The Summit affirms the critical importance of territorial integrity in international law and the international order of sovereign states, particularly within Nautasia, and declares the national sovereignty and territorial integrity of all Nautasian states to be sacrosanct and inviolable. Furthermore, it also affirms the importance of the right of Nautasian states to peacefully develop free of external intimidation, exploitation, or destabilization.
a. In the interests of guaranteeing the independence and territorial integrity of Nautasian nations, the Summit further reaffirms the need for an international working group dedicated to determining when conditions will permit for a withdrawl of non-Nautasian military forces from the continent.
b. This withdrawal will not apply to non-Nautasian personnel who were stationed in military bases sanctioned by binding treaties prior to the outbreak of conflict, non-Nautasian personnel stationed in accordance with mutually-consented-to defense agreements or alliances, non-Nautasian forces operating in internationally-recognized dependencies of their countries, and non-Nautasian military advisers assisting Nautasian countries in maintaining stability at the request of said nations’ governments.

5. The Summit reaffirms its recognition of the role that popular dissatisfaction with substandard social, economic, and political conditions plays in the instability facing Nautasia, as it did during the Third Esquarian Summit. Furthermore, it once again calls on Nautasian nations to create a more inclusive environment for their people, in the name of combating instability and terrorism.

6. The Summit reaffirms the condemnation of all state-backed and state-sponsored terrorism that it made at the Third Esquarian Summit, and declares that any government found to be overtly or covertly supporting terrorist groups financially or militarily is liable to be condemned or otherwise sanctioned.

7. The Summit encourages the greater integration of the Nautasian economy into the overall Esquarian economy, including investment by non-Nautasian nations and groups in Nautasian nations, the integration of Nautasian labor and markets into the global economy, and the reduction of tariffs between Nautasian and non-Nautasian nations.

"I've added a more explicit declaration of the inviolability of territorial integrity, and of its sacrosanct nature, as well as a phrase hopefully alleviating the fears expressed by the President of Litorea. We can continue debating on whether or not the fund should be headquartered in Nautasia, but if we cannot come to an agreement then I can remove the clause."

"Chancellor Westerby, I do understand your concern for human rights, I truly do," the Aucurian said. "I agree that the nations of the world should work actively to promote them and protect them, and that our failure to do so is an international shame. Aucuria's own contribution to human rights in the Declaration of the Rights of the People is one of the proudest parts of our national heritage, and it is my hope that we will be able to conclusively and comprehensively address the issue of human rights at this summit. In fact, that's why I scheduled all of tomorrow morning for discussing and adopting a resolution on human rights- a declaration on human rights that would apply to all of Esquarium, including Nautasia- as part of the Kalnaspilis Declaration. We can hold this discussion on human rights, and make a declaration committing the nations of the world to them, tomorrow morning when we are explicitly scheduled to make that declaration."
Alt of Ruridova - Come join Esquarium!

Korizland
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby Korizland » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:18 pm

"That declaration will be all well and good, but how do we ensure that nations throughout Esquarium abide by it, especially in regions that have historically bad records on human rights? We've come to agree that development funds should not be tied to political ideology but there are certain basics of what should societal norms that we should use the development funds to promote, especially where those norms would better help us to ensure that those funds are being used properly. I'm sure I'm not the only one that has a legislature to answer to, and I have no idea how to get my own people to go along with building roads somewhere that drags dissidents from the back of military vehicles, let alone my opponents who aren't very fond of foreign aid to start with. I wouldn't even want to build the road someone will be dragged along. I'm not saying that we only assist secular nations or republics or democracies or free markets. I'm saying we assist those who will recognize and defend the inalienable rights of man."

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:33 pm

"No objections to the draft as currently worded," Cao stated curtly.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents