NATION

PASSWORD

The Tunnels of Mars [FT/OOC/Planning]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

The Tunnels of Mars [FT/OOC/Planning]

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:05 am

A century has passed since the end of the Great Martian War, the great war machines have long been dismantled, and that cold, calculating intelligence across the vast gulf of space is no more.

And yet, something remains.

When humans arrived some ten years ago, there was little enough left of the once great Martian race which had briefly sought to conquer Earth. Those that had died on Earth perhaps had suffered a more merciful fate at the hands of bacteria and the occasional lucky strike of shell or shot. On Mars the first humans set foot in the corpse of a civilization, a few inscrutable remnants clinging to life in the ruins of mighty towers and great temples to unknowable gods, or struggling vainly to draw water from the dusty canals. Native life on the surface of Mars was quickly extinguished, for while a hundred years may seem a long time, it is well within the capacity of humans to extract blame from such distant times, and the memory of the black smoke over the world's great cities was still within living memory, if only barely.

Now though the true extent of the Great Race of Mars has been discovered, however, in the vast catacombs and chambers beneath the planet's surface. Endless capillary passages, spiraling down and through the planet's cold core. A few trips have yielded great riches, whether purely material or in the form of alien technology not seen even in the invasion, perhaps the last fruits of the scientists of the Martian race to save themselves. The expeditions are increasingly fraught with danger, however, for while the upper tunnels proved only mildly hazardous, those groups which descended into the deeper levels almost never returned. The few that came back emerged from the lower levels either vastly wealthy or totally insane.

In light of recent contact with realms beyond Earth, the various Terran governments have extended a number of different offers, writs, contracts and backroom deals to various mercenary groups and individuals. Tax free settlement rights, noble titles, mouth-watering sums of money. Very little is not on offer when it comes to Mars.

---

So, this is a little adventure I'm plotting out to get things rolling for SPACE RUSSIA on NS again. I've gone back and rewritten quite a few things (as those of you familiar with my past incarnation might have guessed from the above,) for a much more steampunky 'Tesla-on-a-rocket-ship' feel with War of the Worlds as a jumping off point of sorts. Earth is pretty fucked up at present, if you've ever read The Peshawar Lancers you have a good idea of the current situation over there, and Mars is awfully enticing despite its lack of water and rather thin (but still breathable) atmosphere. Various Earth nations are enticing adventurers from all over the galaxy to join them in their quest for glorious xenotech, and offering grand rewards to those who bring it to the Star Trek rubber-forehead aliens will meet with minimal problems, but if you couldn't pass for at least mammalian in a bad light then there will probably be 'friction.'

If you'd like to jump in, leave a quick writeup on the individual or unit you'd like to send into the gasping darkness of Mars. What are their motivations? Their equipment? Any sort of special abilities/powers? Maybe a little bit of history. How do they feel about tentacles? That sort of thing.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Albamech
Attaché

Founded: Jun 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Albamech » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:07 am

I'm in.

Wondering what's gonna happen if it's tripod vs tripod?

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ella2 6 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:22 am

Saw War of the Worlds. Screw work, I'm in, goshdarnit.

Since Sol is nowhere in warp capabilities of the Dominion, I'm going to be using either Ellian Doradus or the Remnant Collectives of Poland, depending on what I feel like (at this stage I'm thinking Doradus, but whatever). Specific details incoming, please hold.
Last edited by Ella2 6 on Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

The WIck
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The WIck » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:48 am

Good good, but do tell what of Space France!
My Nation's alignment is Chaotic Neutral, we shoot first then ask no questions.

P.S. I didn't mean to destroy your planet it just got in my way.

over 12 billion pop...and not counting

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:35 am

I may be interested
Hyper-commodified cocaine capitalism. Urbanized solar systems. Omnixenophobia. War economy without end. Radical body augmentation for fun and profit.

I make exactly two exceptions from a fairly strict adherence to realism, and hate them both.

The Anchorage, for discussion of all things FT

The Interstellar Human Compact

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:48 am

Albamech wrote:I'm in.

They'll become a hexapod.

Ella2 6 wrote:Saw War of the Worlds. Screw work, I'm in, goshdarnit.

Since Sol is nowhere in warp capabilities of the Dominion, I'm going to be using either Ellian Doradus or the Remnant Collectives of Poland, depending on what I feel like (at this stage I'm thinking Doradus, but whatever). Specific details incoming, please hold.

Sounds good, I'll look forward to the details :)

The WIck wrote:Good good, but do tell what of Space France!

Currently based out of Dakar, where it's warmer, on account of Europe being a frozen hellhole for most of the year. They actually did fairly well, since they had suitable colonies fairly close by. I have some potentially fun ideas involving a war with a psuedo-Roman Empire run by the descendants of Mussolini, which took over much of Europe in the power vacuum after the evacuation.

France is still kicking, though!

Olimpiada wrote:I may be interested

Great :D
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Lincolnocracy
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lincolnocracy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:14 pm

I don't have time to take an active part in this, as I'm already involved in another roleplay. However, if you need someone to take on a bit part or something, I could be game.

E.g.: In the bowels of Mars, our heroes discover the remains of a previous expedition. I could roleplay as the deranged survivor they eventually discover, who warns them ominously and vaguely of something nasty you've prepared plotwise before dying/fleeing/attacking/etc.
There once was a region called Stille Nacht,
Which roleplayed 'til all the servers cracked,
But the data which flowed,
Was so "Nukez!!!1" it glowed,
And they knew that a cure was sore lacked.

Telros
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Telros » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:15 pm

Color me interested, its a perfect draw for my nation. Gimme a few to throw up a description of the group and its details.

Albamech
Attaché

Founded: Jun 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Albamech » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:44 am

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:
Albamech wrote:I'm in.

They'll become a hexapod.

Ella2 6 wrote:Saw War of the Worlds. Screw work, I'm in, goshdarnit.

Sounds good, I'll look forward to the details :)

The WIck wrote:Good good, but do tell what of Space France!

Currently based out of Dakar, where it's warmer, on account of Europe being a frozen hellhole for most of the year. They actually did fairly well, since they had suitable colonies fairly close by. I have some potentially fun ideas involving a war with a psuedo-Roman Empire run by the descendants of Mussolini, which took over much of Europe in the power vacuum after the evacuation.

France is still kicking, though!

Olimpiada wrote:I may be interested

Great :D

Not surprise.

France was always a big fighter before WWI and kicked ass on WW1 but got captured on WW2 but still they still kicked ass.

Even Canada. Turkey in the modern world ehh.....

Lotrabme
Minister

Founded: Sep 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lotrabme » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:02 am

I think I'd be interested; The Mind Empire has many rogue traders who'd be happy to get their hands on more xeno-tech and trade weapons with Waring factions on a divided world. We are a multi-species empire but the founding members are of Homo-Sapiens extraction. Hopefully that would reduce potential frictions.

It'd just be one ship showing up too, this is no invasion fleet.

Telros
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Telros » Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:59 pm

The official app:

Science Team AMERIUS

Government: Tezekian Directorate

Complement: 50 total, 20 scientists, eight being the command staff under Head Scientist Wings of Periwinkle and a 30 strong platoon of Oozori soldiers.

Equipment: One command APC capable of housing the platoon and providing command and control, armed with two gauss guns and a single anti-vehicle cannon. The soldiers are wearing power suits, covering the whole form and providing BNC protection but are not as strong and versatile as powered armor, and wield gauss weaponry, and some trinkets, but focused on not doing a lot of area damage to prevent unneeded destruction of the finds. The scientists have PDW's and have brought a portable lab with them that can be set up quickly, with support equipment, generators, quarantine suits and items if needed.

Motivations: Scientific progress is the lifeblood of the Directorate and curiosity about how things work drives much of what they do. Once they heard about the technological wonders and mysteries of the Martians, they couldn't trip over themselves fast enough to send a diplomatic packet to the Russian Empire. Once introductions had been done, initial treaties, agreements and conditions set and permissions granted, a ship was sent with the team to the site to begin immediate study and excavation. Standing orders are to get as much data, knowledge, blueprints as they can. Relics are desired, but if they must be shared or requested by the Empire, they are to give them up without protest. Progress is to be had by all.

Special Abilities/Powers: Only the power of SCIENCE! (The answer is no, not really.)

History: Periwinkle is the government's go for any significant finds of archaeological, technological or historical basis, ever since he found the ancient Oozori outpost that gave the Tezekians the initial boost forward to go into the stars with gusto. He is an old bird, most of his feathers graying out but enough retaining his color namesake, and he has no room for superstition or panic. Scientific process and investigation are what rule the day, not fears of ancient deities and awakening things they shouldn't. He looks forward to this as this is his first major site in years.
Last edited by Telros on Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:33 pm

Looks good! I'd note that the APC won't be a lot of use, though. While there are large tunnels and chambers, most of the traveling is going to be done in fairly cramped quarters. Vehicles on the scale of a motorcycle/ATV would be more useful. The Russians are going to be bringing horses along :P

Think 'space hulk' in terms of environment.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Telros
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Telros » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:03 pm

Ah, I was imagining huge tunnels and whatnot. Ah well. ATV's it is.

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:24 pm

Well, I can't let Telros out-app me.

Nation name: The Federated Worlds of Olimpiada

Species: Human

Team: BlueSky Industries 7th Light Assault Platoon

Personnel: 30 mercenaries, 1 ambitious businessman

Equipment: The 7th Light Assault Platoon travels in the Cherry Tree, a small cargo ship made by the Hex Conglomerate. It boasts two 12.7 mm coilgun turrets, and four 12.7 mm coilguns on the wings. The craft is capable of providing room for forty people, as well as a lift capacity of several tons. The blink drive on it, powered by a fusion reactor, allows for instantaneous FTL travel just about anywhere within a few hundred light years.

On to infantry equipment. The standard BlueSky mercenary utilizes the Praetorian Mk. VI Light Combat Exoskeleton as his or her primary method of protection. The suit is lackluster in armor compared to many other exoskeletons, but makes up for this in its ability to move as fast as 50 km/h if needed. The Mk. VI offers protection against slug throwers with a layer of kevlar armor, against lasers with a few centimeters of silica aerogel on top of that, servo motors atop that, and finally a covering of synthetic fireproof and waterproof synthetic fabric to protect against dust. In the helmet, the user is granted a heads up display, and more than adequate protection against threats nuclear, biological, and chemical through an air recycling system. The entire suit is powered by a subcompact nuclear reactor, which provides the main power for the small shield generator within.

On the more offensive end of things, the SR-171 is a railgun which slings 8 mm slugs at a quick mach 5. The slugs are trajectory correcting when in an atmosphere, negating much user error in the process. While the slugs are not directly powered, that issue is made up for by a small fission reactor (the reader is likely seeing a pattern by now) built into the stock.

Motivations: Olimpiada is a nation ruled both legally and illegally by corporations. On the one hand, there's the perfectly legal role of the Archontia in the governmental legislature. The seats in this house are owned, once again legally, by various corporations. However, things get strange as a result of this. Companies are engaged in a perpetual profit driven cold war for political power, which periodically flares up into violence which is quickly quelled in courts of law. Most of the time though, it doesn't, which is where BSI comes into this.

BSI seeks to make closer ties with the people of Earth in an effort to keep Olimpiada connected with Earth, as it is an important part of their religion. An aspiring businessman working for BSI, Thanos Nikolaides, sees the situation on Mars as a way to improve his company's standings, and potentially be promoted from managing Ivy's ring section 18, to the entire ring. The mercenaries he employs here just happen to work for him.

In essence, the BSI's presence is part of an economic and cultural power play by Thanos in the hopes of getting a promotion to effectively managing an entire planet for the BSI, the sort of job on which one can comfortably retire to a nice house in the countryside made of actual stone, with coffee that isn't genetically engineered. Being the backstabbing and undercutting bastard you'll soon know him to be, he's not afraid to step on the toes of an entire nation to get what he wants.

Special Abilities: Does a complete and utter willingness to screw people over for personal goals count?
Last edited by Olimpiada on Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hyper-commodified cocaine capitalism. Urbanized solar systems. Omnixenophobia. War economy without end. Radical body augmentation for fun and profit.

I make exactly two exceptions from a fairly strict adherence to realism, and hate them both.

OMGeverynameistaken
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby OMGeverynameistaken » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Looks good, welcome aboard!

I think there's space for one more slot in the main party. If there's still a lot of interest I might take a few people on board for various encounters later on, on an individual basis. There's still a few bits I'm working out in my head as far as how things will proceed exactly.

In the meanwhile, I should state that, if it wasn't obvious from the OP, few if any of these people are likely to come back. Mars is NOT a nice place. Less so underground.
I AM DISAPPOINTED

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:52 pm

OMGeverynameistaken wrote:Looks good, welcome aboard!

I think there's space for one more slot in the main party. If there's still a lot of interest I might take a few people on board for various encounters later on, on an individual basis. There's still a few bits I'm working out in my head as far as how things will proceed exactly.

In the meanwhile, I should state that, if it wasn't obvious from the OP, few if any of these people are likely to come back. Mars is NOT a nice place. Less so underground.

Joke's on you, I've been looking for an excuse to kill several of these people off.

Telros
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Telros » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:51 pm

I made these guys up on the spot. If they die, they get their names entered in the great big book of "FOR SCIENCE!".

It's a big ass book. Many have died. As long as we get a shiny out of it, we're good.

The WIck
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 23, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The WIck » Sat Mar 04, 2017 1:36 am

My Official application thingy.

Who: The Free Legion (Private Corporation)

Government: Private Citizens of the Wickian Commonwealth

Complement: On Century (100 folks)

Equipment:

One base camp. With tents and lanterns, portable cookers and iceboxes. There is even a lugaloo or two and rolls of toilet paper to go with. There also appears to be able stores of bacon, salted beef, tobacco and coffee.

There are also several auto-mules and robo-Sherpas for carrying all that stuff.

The Security Contractors carry small arms, your typical repeaters and pistolas. There is also a close action platoon attached to the unit which has some specialized equipment for fighting folks up close. Not just scatter guns, but some future sword and shield stuff here because its just so much fun.

What did I forget? Computers for mobile computing?

Motivations: Money. That and the expansion of the universe are the two only sure things that exist. Most Wickians live in space whether on ships or in habitats, to live in the gravity well of a planet proper is something to earned. The privilege is not cheap, there are several ways to attain the goal, but money is the surest and shortest. You just need a lot of it. So it is that there is always an ample pool of talent corporations can recruit from. Young folks eager to earn a buck or ten to pay their way. There are plenty of warnings, terms and conditions and such, but that is easily ignored because that sort of bad stuff happens to everyone else and not me.

The companies' goal of course is to find lost tech and or anything of value and turn a big profit on this expedition. Bills need to be paid, intergalactic vessels need to be refueled and refitted, and the only thing to get that process started is the spending of a good deal of money. Money that can be found under Mars.

Special Abilities/Powers: There may be some, Wickians are not wholly human at this point. As said earlier they live mostly in space and as such they tend to wear suits where ever they go. The rich can afford some that appear to be a three piece suit on a cursory inspection. Fancy I know. Besides their pasty and easily burned skin, gene-manipulation is quite common as well as the use of small machines that work their way about inside a person giving them stuff and letting them do some things that savages on Rim worlds would consider to be powerful or special. Security Contractors of course would for the most part received some tougher bones, more efficient and stronger muscles and the over active metabolism to go with. Little machines in their eyes would let them see quite well in the dark and allow for wireless communication without a device although it is considered quite rude to sub-vocalize around those who do not talk that way.

Anything else? Maybe some Jedi folks wearing plate mail and carrying swords because who doesn't like that, and not this bullshit later Lucas and Disney crap either.

History: Its getting a bit late here and I am getting sleepy so I will make it short. We had some wars, most planets went boom. We live mostly in space except for one terraformed planet we have. Only Citizens earn the privilege to live on it. Many of the Space habitats are run by money grubbing corporations that stick it to the man while they feed him the thoughts that one day if he works hard enough he can move back into the gravity well...not likely.

The Free Legion was formed in the Wars to protect Wickian interests in a particular system. They started with a few tattered survivors of a Task Force and now have quite a bit more. People often join the legion because they are known to pay well, and with some years in the Corporation will pay off a man's mandatory education debt acquired during their upbringing.
My Nation's alignment is Chaotic Neutral, we shoot first then ask no questions.

P.S. I didn't mean to destroy your planet it just got in my way.

over 12 billion pop...and not counting

Bakra
Spokesperson

Founded: Jul 28, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Bakra » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:56 pm

This is exactly the kind of RP that draws my attention. Life can wait :D

Stavkar Beyna (or simply "Stav") is an operative that has practical experience as a Bakran Marine during the Unsung War and the Annexation of Songnam. Following the conquest of the Songnamese Stav elected to retire early and joined Sardhak Star Lane Security, working for nearly a decade as an operator fighting pirates and protecting cargo going all over the Romera and Milky Way galaxies. He chose to retire from Sardhak as well, giving up a large pension and a cushy job in management because he had "gotten bored with it all". Rather than return to his home planet of Ilencia or homestead in the Milky Way, he decided that Mars was going to be the place he would make his fortune or die trying.

Stav is a soldier's soldier when it comes to weaponry: he likes guns, and lots of them, but he surmises that carrying an arsenal of weaponry into the tunnels of Mars is as daft as carrying them in the corridors of a ship. Instead, he carries a sparse number of weapons that have a wide variety of roles to take on the unknown. He wields a "Saroke" silenced shotgun, a staple of Bakran assault teams, outfitted with a large array of ammunition to fit many different kinds of roles depending on what needs to die. These include but are not limited to shells laced with poison, rubber shells intended to "nudge" rather than destroy, explosive-laced shells, and even an EMP variant for good measure.

For distance work, something Stav doesn't expect to have much of in the cramped environment, he utilizes a L44 "Cherub" laser rifle and a half dozen energy capacitors to sustain him in an extended fight. Light and easy to use, the weapon is known for its high accuracy but very low energy storage, lacking the ability for sustained firing without burning through all of the energy packs. The power can be manipulated for less energy (and less "bang") but when needed it can be overloaded to fire a concentrated but devastating blast.

To augment his limbs, Stav uses a full case of power armor that is useful in both EVA and underwater, making the sparse atmosphere of Mars something easily surmounted. The armor itself is a modified standard Bakran army model, not nearly as heavy as the Marine armor Stav used to wear but still something to be reckoned with, able to increase his strength, protect him from the elements for long periods of time, and able to shrug off glancing shots if he is ever in a gunfight. He carries a L.E.A.P. lightweight exoskeleton in reserve should his systems fail, although at that point he may need more help than just that.

In contrast to many of the other teams being sent to Mars, Stav is not looking for the responsibility of leading an expedition, but is seeking to make money the old fashioned way: by having his abilities auctioned off to the highest bidder. He is willing to provide his services to any of the expeditions being sent provided they pay enough.

Concerning tentacles, he doesn't prefer them anywhere but on a plate. Suffice to say he won't be visiting Space Japan.
Last edited by Bakra on Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents