NATION

PASSWORD

Containment (FT, open)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Sea Reapers
Civil Servant

Founded: Apr 30, 2005
Ex-Nation

Containment (FT, open)

Postby Sea Reapers » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:01 am

Bright, golden sand sparkled in the harsh midday sun, forming a coastline that stretched for quite some distance before it arced behind the mainland and out of view. With strange, alien-looking palm trees on one side, and the blue sea lapping up calmly on the other, it painted a serene picture. The sound of the docile waves gently splashing against the smooth beaches was joined by a chorus of native animal cries coming from further inland. Some of them sounded harmless, others worryingly scary, but both seemed to be quite far away.

A bright blue foot dug into the fine golden sand. It belonged to a strikingly beautiful, slender, young-looking woman, who was walking down the beach slowly as though looking for something. She had bright - almost white in this sun - blue skin, and jet-black, shoulder-length hair which hung in loose strands around her in no particular style. Her eyes were a contrast to her skin; a bright red colour, full of life. She wore no clothes of any kind, though given the heat of this place that was not hugely surprising, but she was adorned a few items of exotic-looking silver jewellery, and a dark blue tiara, made from some kind of crystalline material, was perched on top of her head.

Her name was Delphi, princess of the Reapal. She was accompanied by a completely different manner of creature. With clammy skin reminiscent in shade of a Caucasian human, it was a short creature, only knee-height compared to her. He had small, stumpy legs, and his bulbous head was very much out of proportion to the rest of his small body - it was even bigger than hers. His large, blue/white coloured eyes with black, pin-prick pupils danced around rapidly, almost as though the small being was high on something. Given the way he was skipping along and singing in a high-pitched voice, he may well have been stoned out of his mind.

A 'Smartie', named Bim. The creatures were utterly, utterly harmless, though often dangerously clumsy, but they were so harmless that Delphi's people often had to defend them.

"What a jolly nice day it is!" Bim chortled. "It almost reminds me of yesterday. That was a jolly nice day too! Tum ti tum..."

The woman simply nodded and ignored his eccentric ramblings, continuing to walk down the beach, her pace necessitating the bizarre, short creature to jog beside her.

"Do you know that it was only yesterday that I was on this very beach!" he cried.

The woman emitted a sigh. "Yes, I know," she said. "That is why I am here now! Where is this camp you claim to have seen?"

"I know it's around here somewhere," the short fellow said, his bulbous head bobbing around precariously as he jogged. "It was sat there, happy as you like! They had a camp fire and everything. I bet you could've cooked a nice roast vimp on there... ooh... roast vimp... can we go hunting?"

"Once we have located the encampment, yes," Delphi said, hoping it would motivate the Smarty to remember where they were going. Smarties, so named because they were nature's calculators, were possessed of an impossible scope of intellect, which they completely refused to develop at all. They could calculate extraordinarily complex mathematical equations in their heads, when they put their impressive minds to it, but they were far more interested in hedonism. Delphi found them infuriating.

"Yay!" Bim exclaimed. "I think it's this way," he nodded, nearly toppling over with the weight of his own oversized head. He sprinted - or at least, came as close to doing so as his stubby legs would allow - ahead, pointing towards the tree line. "I think it was over there!"

Delphi broke into a jog to pursue him as he disappeared into the underbrush beneath the palms. Eventually they broke through into a clearing, and sure enough - the Smarty was right, for a change. The detritus of a camp site was laid bare for all to see; trampled foliage, the remains of a camp fire, litter, evidence of tents, trees knocked down to clear room... people had definitely camped here quite recently. A lot of people.

"By the goddess, you were correct!" Delphi exclaimed. She'd half-expected the Smarty to have seen a Ripper skulking around and imagined it to be a camp site, so jumpy were they. But here it was. She could clearly make out the imprints of tracked military boots in the dirt, which meant only one thing.

Land Reapers.

"Of course I was right!" Bim said happily. "Can we go hunting for vimp now, please?"

"Give me a moment," she told him, dropping to a knee and picking up what looked like a discarded rocket clip from one of the Land Reapers' 'RPG assault rifles', as they were commonly nicknamed. "This was a military camp."

An audible gulp came from Bim. "What? So close to our village?"

"Yes," Delphi nodded. "To what end, I am unsure."

The crack of a breaking twig caught Delphi's attention, and she span around to face the source. Her eyes scanned the foliage, looking for something that could explain it, but she saw nothing. The Smarty dove towards her, wrapping his arms around her left leg in fear.

"They're still here!" he whispered.

"Shhh!" Delphi hushed the small creature. She wished she'd brought her sword or bow now. She could hear rustling from the trees, but couldn't identify what was causing it - it could have been Land Reapers, Rippers, or just vimp meandering around. It was impossible to tell. And then, it wasn't so impossible. A rocket-propelled grenade streaked past her head, narrowly missing her and impacting a tree on the opposite side of the clearing, detonating with a 'thooom'. She grabbed Bim by the arm and hurriedly projected herself away - using magic to propel herself at a colossal pace in the opposite direction. Once her projection was finished she hoisted the Smarty up onto her back and began sprinting through the foliage, Bim screaming the entire time.

Never breaking her pace, Delphi held her left hand up to her face and spoke into the blue stone on her ring, which doubled as a communicator. "This is Princess Delphi, I am under attack by Land Reaper forces, I believe a major incursion is underway - send as many forces as you can!"

The attack on the Smarty village was enormous. Thousands of Land Reapers had been assembled to take on the small settlement, their reptilian features flooding the area, and they were armed to the teeth and in full battle formation. At least a hundred Smarties had been killed by the time the Sea Reaper expeditionary force arrived from the nearby Star Cruiser Hangar. The battlefield was chaos; thousands of rocket streamers crisscrossed the village, blowing up buildings and leaving craters in the ground as their targets - the Sea Reapers - magically projected themselves around at random. Occasionally one of the blue-skinned women would project into the midst of a Land Reaper group, and take them by surprise with their blade before projecting back to safety. Meanwhile, a group of Sea Reapers armed with giant bows pelted the Land Reaper forces from afar with explosive-tipped arrows, while occasionally a magical fire attack would incinerate any Land Reapers foolish enough to stand close together.

Meanwhile, a small group of Sea Reapers, including Princess Delphi, were hurriedly evacuating the remaining Smarties on the other side of the village.

Though heavily outnumbered, the Sea Reapers had stalled the Land Reaper attack, and had thrown their lines into chaos. Unable to make any progress, the Land Reapers appeared to have altered their plans to simply kill as many Sea Reapers as they could - a plan that would have worked, had Sea Reapers been easy to kill. They were not.

With the last of the Smarties evacuated from the medieval-looking village, once homely and bustling but now aflame and deserted, Princess Delphi projected repeatedly across the village until she reached front lines, her form becoming a blur in the process.

"Majesty, I think they are preparing to pull back!" said her lieutenant, Vansi. Unlike the princess, Vansi was a dedicated warrior, and wore some manner of scaled armour over her otherwise-bare frame. Though it looked primitive, it was made from the same unusual crystalline material as Delphi's crown, and was impervious to most projectiles. This, combined with the Sea Reaper's ability to project, had simply forced Land Reapers to fight primarily with explosives, however. Vansi was with a group of Reapal who were hurling explosive arrows at the enemy, whilst simultaneously trying to coordinate their counter-attack via an arrangement of blue stones on the floor.

"I need more than that!" Delphi shouted, dodging an incoming rocket that exploded harmlessly behind them.

"We have broken their lines and divided them into three groups," Vansi said. "I estimate about 40% casualties on their initial force. My streakers are trying to divide them further so that we can pick them off with mana groups. But we have suffered... too many losses ourselves."

"We shall mourn them later," Delphi said, sympathetically. "But we must drive them back. Continue to divide them, and give me a sword."

"Majesty?"

"Give me a sword!" Delphi repeated. The Smarties may have infuriated her, but she loved them nevertheless. She wasn't going to let the Land Reapers anywhere near the survivors.

Vansi looked perturbed, but quickly grabbed a curved sword from a nearby archer.

Delphi nodded in thanks, and without another word she projected herself again, her blurring form arriving in the middle of a group of rocket-armed Land Reapers. Surprised by her sudden arrival, the reptilian barbarians tried to spread apart and took aim at her with their rocket launchers. Delphi looked to be about to attack them with her sword, but then immediately projected away again just as they fired at her. The explosions sent the group flying in all directions, as their own shots destroyed the group.

Without pausing she projected into another group, this time directly besides one of them. Before his red eyes could even express surprise, she cut him down, and immediately projected to the next soldier and dispatched him with her sword to, and repeated the process until the entire group was dead in a matter of seconds. Just as a hail of rockets were launched at her position she projected away, landing on the roof of a two-storey Smartie building. From there, she raised her hands and cast a powerful flame spell at the attacking group, engulfing them all in short order.

Sighting another Sea Reaper struggling with a group of soldiers advancing on her from all positions, Delphi projected herself straight down to her side, and with a cursory nod they took a back-to-back position. Holding out their hands, they each cast a powerful wind spell and slowly turned, keeping their backs together. Land Reapers all around them flew up into the air, blown away by the powerful gusts and landing - hard - dozens of metres away. The other Sea Reaper turned and nodded a thanks, before projecting away from Delphi. Just as she did so, Delphi heard footsteps thumping into the sand and turned just in time to block a melee attack with her sword. She effortlessly parried the menacing, spiked blade away with a twirl, and gave the Land Reaper responsible an amused look. Four more ran to his side, and he returned the look with a victorious roar.

"Get a move on, then!" she told them, flourishing her blade and keeping a hand behind her back. They all charged at once, and she projected behind them, immediately dispatching one Land Reaper. One of the survivors realised what she had done and span on the spot, but she quickly pulled her sword from the back of her victim and deflected his attack away with a 'ching'. While he was still recoiling, she dropped to her knee and span around on the spot, her blade slicing straight through his leg. He collapsed on the floor.

The remaining three attackers, by now realising what had gone on, turned and engaged her. She skilfully deflected their blades one after the other, knocking two of the soldiers into one another as she danced on her toes. The third lost his sword as she blocked him, and a slash across his neck caused him to lose his life. The remaining two recovered and charged once again, but she simply leapt above their heads and, mid-way through the somersault, plunged her blade downwards, piercing the skull of one of them. He was down before she daintily landed on her feet and turned to face the remainder. She offered him another flourish of her sword, swinging it diagonally in each direction, and he simply turned and ran. An explosive arrow met his chest and blew him to pieces before he could get very far, though.

Delphi soon projected away and took care of another group, and another, and another. Their numbers seemed endless, and even a skilled warrior and powerful magic user such as she was beginning to grow exhausted and drained. But finally, just as she felled another group of Land Reapers, she heard the distinctive sound of a horn bellowing across the battlefield. The remaining Land Reapers all turned in unison and began running back towards the palm forest in a panic.

"We are victorious!" Delphi heard Vansi shout from the other side of the battlefield. It certainly seemed that way. Most of the Smarties had survived, the Land Reapers were in retreat, and the Sea Reapers watched as the surviving soldiers ran.

Delphi looked over at hear and yelled, "Vansi, pursuit! Don't let them leave!" They couldn't have stragglers regrouping and trying again. Vansi nodded at her, and quickly two groups of three Sea Reapers began projecting after the sprinting Land Reapers.

Dropping her borrowed, and by now stained with blood, sword onto the sand, Delphi took a look around the battlefield and finally had chance to catch her breath. It was strewn, as far as the eye could see, with Land Reaper corpses. The golden sand was stained blue with blood. Parts of the beach had turned to glass, where rockets had exploded and scorched the land. The nearby Smartie village, from which the battle had since moved, smouldered, pouring black clouds into the bright blue sky.

This is not a typical attack, she thought to herself. Dusting her body off, she made her way back to join Vansi, who was now trying to coordinate recovery efforts. Before she'd made it half-way, though, a roaring sound bellowed across the landscape, deafening them all. Delphi saw the source almost straight away - streaking across the sky, a Sea Reaper Celestial Cruiser had emerged from one of their land-based hangars further down the beach, and was heading almost directly upwards - into space. Though large, roughly three hundred metres long, it was a graceful, blue-green vessel, designed with forward-swept wings and no harsh angles, rarely used but always kept in working order. And now, it was flying into space. No launches were scheduled today.

"Majesty, this is Eastern Hangar Two - Land Reaper forces just attacked us!" a voice came from the ring on her finger.

She lifted her hand to her face, exclaiming: "What?!"

"After our defence force departed to assist you, majesty! They stormed the entrance and boarded our Celestial Cruiser!" the panicked voice elaborated. "Only a few of us survived!"

Delphi's heart sank as she watched the Celestial Cruiser disappear from view. This was the worst thing that could have happened this day.

With a sigh, she spoke into her ring; "I understand, Hangar Two. Please prepare your second ship for immediate launch. I will be there soon."

Under Land Reaper control, the Sea Reaper ship broke free of The Island's atmosphere and engaged its faster-than-light drive, disappearing off into the distance as it headed to a neighbouring star system.
Last edited by Sea Reapers on Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:07 am, edited 3 times in total.

Sea Reapers
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Sea Reapers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:10 am

"What happened, Vulna?" Delphi asked. Her bright blue skin was clammy, and marred with the stains of Land Reaper blood and the blackened emissions of explosions. Vansi stood beside her, still wearing her scaled armour but similarly stained. But they hadn't time to go back and wash. The worst possible scenario had come to pass. They stood in the control room of Eastern Hangar Two; a small room with a window overlooking the now-empty, cavernous hangar bay, it was constructed of an unusual pearlescent metal, and rather than the computer terminals so common elsewhere in the galaxy, only a few pearl-like stones lined its walls. The source of light in the room, a warm, yet bright light, was unapparent.

"It was so fast," Vulna said with a wince. One of the few males serving in a Sea Reaper facility such as this, he was much shorter than Delphi, and currently slumped against the pearlescent metal wall of the hangar control room while another Sea Reaper tended to a large, bleeding wound just to the right of his stomach. He wasn't the only one - several others were being treated, and more still appeared dead.

"I know, Vulna," Delphi said with a compassionate nod. "But we have little time. Please."

"Right... Vellini dispatched the garrison to fight off the Land Reaper attack, just as she was ordered," Vulna began, before he was interrupted.

"What happened to Vellini?" said Vansi, referring to the commander of the hangar base.

"She was the first to fall, ma'am..." Vulna said.

Delphi and Vansi bowed their heads silently for a moment, until Delphi said, "continue, please."

"We only had a few warriors left and there were so many Land Reapers, and they burst in so quickly, they just didn't stand a chance," Vulna said. "Vellini ordered the rest of us to fall back and signal for help, but... we weren't fast enough. We were captured."

"It was a feint," Vansi said quietly to her princess. "How did we not see this? A random attack so close to this hangar?"

"How could we? They have never been so devious before," Delphi replied. "Our ships are designed only to be piloted by the Reapal anyway."

"Majesty... they... they took Hulga..." Vulna said, tears in his eyes. "My partner. They shot me so that he would help them. I told him not to, but he said he couldn't let them... well, you know."

"I am sorry," Delphi said. She dropped to her knee and placed a hand on his shoulder. "I shall do all that is in my power to retrieve your love for you. But you must understand..."

"I know, Majesty," Vulna said. It didn't need to be said. Under no circumstances could Land Reapers have access to Reapal technology. With just one Celestial Cruiser, they could cause chaos across the cosmos, to say nothing of the damage they could do if they somehow managed to reverse-engineer any of its technology. Certainly, the fate of the Smarties would be sealed, and even the Sea Reapers may face annihilation. Superior technology and individual skill in battle were the only two things keeping this endless conflict balanced. It was not commonly known that the Land Reaper's numerical superiority was growing at an exponential rate, and would soon be sufficient to eclipse even the physical, magical, intellectual, and technological prowess of the Sea Reapers. The capture of a Celestial Cruiser would mean their extinction.

"If the Celestial Cruiser cannot be recaptured, it must be destroyed," Vulna said after drying his eyes. "I know, Majesty."

Delphi patted the smaller Reapal on his shoulder with a forced smile on her face, and then stood back up. She led Vansi out of ear-shot. "None of this seems true to me. How could they know who Vulna's partner was to threaten him so? How could they know that they would need a Reapal to pilot the ship? How did they come up with this strategy on their own? Why have they tried it only now, after all these centuries? They have never been this devious, in all of recorded history."

"Are you asking me or just thinking out loud, Majesty?" Vansi asked. Delphi smiled. Her friend knew her well.

"Thinking out loud," Delphi shrugged.

"You need to speak to your mother, Majesty," Vansi said. "The recriminations can wait until after we have put a stop to what could be a terrible fate for us all."

"Yes," Delphi sighed. "She is not going to be pleased."

Pleased the Queen wasn't, but she was certainly aware of what must be done. Her daughter had been assigned a task group of three Celestial Cruisers, with one mission and one mission only - find the stolen Cruiser, recapture it if possible, and destroy it if necessary. All other concerns were secondary. It was the type of order rarely given by the Queen, but then again, this was the type of mission rarely faced by the Reapal.

Three cruisers from around The Island had been launched already, adopting a formation in geosynchronous orbit above the capitol, and Delphi was the last to be displaced aboard. It had been years since Delphi had first been given a tour of one of these vessels, though their beauty - both inside and out - never ceased to amaze her. They appeared to have been sculpted, or grown from crystals, rather than built. Their beauty belied the severe nature of their capabilities, however, which were considerable, and being aboard a ship such as this once again was bittersweet given the circumstances.

The habitable areas of Sea Reaper ships were completely filled with water, for such was the environment they were more comfortable with, and while they possessed artificial gravity systems, these were rarely activated. It took Delphi a moment to adjust to swimming in this environment; though she still managed to push her way through the water quite easily, it was disorientating for there to be no 'up' or 'down'. Despite this, Delphi managed to find her way to the operations sphere.

The Sea Reaper version of a bridge, it was a surprisingly small, spherical room with only a handful of individuals inside, controlling the entire ship with just a few of those same pearl-like stones embedded in the walls around them. There was no floor, no ceiling, just controls. Again, it was disorientating at first, but Vansi, who'd been given operational command of this particular ship, had already managed to adjust quite well.

"Majesty, we are ready to depart," Vansi said, effortlessly rotating her body to face the princess. In this water-filled environment, the amphibious Sea Reapers spoke their natural language, which made them sound more like dolphins than people.

"You have traced the cruiser?" Delphi asked.

"I think so," Vansi said. "Our ships don't leave an exhaust trail to follow, but they do leave slipstream wakes. I think they are headed to a nearby system. I know not why. Our ancestors recorded nothing of interest there when they explored it generations ago, but who knows what the Land Reapers are thinking? They could have gone there by accident!"

Sea Reaper ships had not travelled the cosmos in generations. And given that under normal circumstances Sea Reapers simply did not age, 'generations ago' was a considerable period of time indeed. But before the rise of the Land Reapers, they once explored the stars as prolifically as any other space-faring race, and they had accumulated a massive amount of information on the universe in that time. The Reapal retained all of this information, and knew all that their ancestors knew. Much of it was likely out-of-date by now, though, so perhaps that was why the Land Reapers thought it a good idea to travel to an already-explored system? Or perhaps they simply hadn't accessed the records aboard the ship yet.

"Well let us follow them, and divine their purpose!" Delphi said. "Instruct the group to enter the stream in that direction."

"Yes, Majesty," Vansi nodded.

The three vessels, their opalescent hulls glinting gloriously in the light of the sun, turned in unison and together, streaked off into the distance. The same direction their quarry had gone only hours earlier.
Last edited by Sea Reapers on Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Deltan Imperium
Attaché

Founded: Nov 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Deltan Imperium » Fri Jul 07, 2017 7:16 am

Captain's log, Mission Date 40811.2. We remain in orbit of an M-class planet, continuing our survey of the star system J-2231, and have yet to encounter any intelligent life forms. One of the moons here does appear to have substantial dilithium deposits, among other minerals, and should make a decent mining operation should the Imperium choose to claim the system. I will pass on the recommendation.

Captain Edward Vance closed out his log with a tap on the PADD, and sat back in his chair, eyes glancing to the picture of his family sitting on his desk. Being away from them for the past four months hadn't been easy, especially since he still have at least eight months to go before returning home. A year might not seem too long to be away, but considering his people hadn't launched such a mission in decades, it was taking a toll on him and his crew.

With a sigh, he got up and stepped over to the replicator in the corner of his ready room. "Hot chocolate, with a dash of mint," he said. Moments later, a mug appeared in a swirl of light. He picked it up, slowly breathing in the warmth, before returning to his desk, thankful once again for the small miracles of modern technology. His ship might not be the biggest vessel in the fleet, but she was fast, smart, and dependable. A far cry from the old Constitution-class ships they first had to explore deep space. Those were the Imperium's first long-range explorers, expanding their territory to ranges even the first cruisers of the Daedalus-class couldn't reach. But his ship was a brand new Intrepid-class starship, one of the fastest in the fleet. He was proud to serve as her captain.

The chime at the door signaled the arrival of his First Officer with the morning's survey report. "Enter," he said, and the doors slid apart to allow the passage of Commander Liz Shelby. "Morning, Captain," she greeted him, offering a PADD. "The results from the geological survey, as you requested." At his direction, she placed it on the desk, eyes studying him. "Penny for your thoughts, sir?"

He grinned. "Just thinking about the mission," he replied, followed by her nod of agreement. While they had an all-volunteer crew, it hadn't been easy to fill the full roster. The Deltan Imperium had been isolated from the galaxy for nearly a century, ever since the former Sovereign closed their borders. But growing population, dwindling resources, and a new generation of eager youth had all demanded a change. The current Sovereign was still a young man, having inherited the thrown after his father's death in a anti-matter core test disaster. It was his grandfather that had closed the borders, and now he was going to open them again. He had personally ordered the mission that Vance now commanded, to survey space just beyond their borders and find out what races, if any, now occupied the area.

Vance gave her a nod. "Return to the bridge, Commander. I'll join you shortly..."

(ooc: I assume the system they are in is the one your enemies are headed towards)

Eodor
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eodor » Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:43 am

IASS Freedom Fighter
Dagger Class Attack Cruiser
Damage Levels: Critical
Damage Sustained: Insurrectionist attack over Halian

The Freedom Fighter breached the veil of Hawking Radiation locked in a permanent Matter-Time Stasis field in the Rift. The ship's hull being illuminated by Cherenkov Radiation from the TJ-40 FTL thrusters. Once the ship had cleared the rift, it collapsed behind the vessel. Leaving a small fluctuating blob of tachyons.

The Freedom Fighter's hull was breached and ruined in numerous places, the starboard observation tower crumpled and leaking a bright orange substance. Half of the ship's weaponry had been destroyed as had three of the vessels eleven engines. Most of the ship's systems had been knocked out by the intense Electromagnetic pulse of the un-calcuated emergency rift jump, the weapons and shields needing recharging and recycling.

On the remaining command tower, the captain of the vessel, Paul Tucker, remained in his captain's chair. Many of the consoles and walls were scorched and sparking, but his down-but-not-out crew remained at their posts, attempting to return the ship to normal working capacity.

Captain Tucker let out a small sigh of relief, and wiped aside sweat from his brow. He looked down at his feet and sighed again, he then spoke to the closest Lieutenant:

"Lieutenant, Casualty report and system status."

The genetically engineered Lieutenant turned around and spoke in it's own alien language, the Captain's translator matrix taking a moment to recognize it still existed in the material realm, then realize it had been activated, then fully translate this message:

"T'kicha Talastra nyunsi zal'uhan. P'olikx fra'yoon ipanlar qwast."

To:

"Reports indicate 327 dead and 891 injured. Primary systems now online, secondaries reactivating sir."

Tucker nodded and took a moment to compose his thoughts, his new crew was very... mechanical. He despised their lack of individuality yet had to grudgingly agree they were able to cope far better under stressful situations than regular crew men. He subconsciously slammed his fist against the arm of his chair. The 'Splicer' crew ignoring him completely and continuing to reactivate the ship's subsystems.

Once the ship's scanners were reactivated, they began flashing wildly, indicating an unidentified vessel nearby.

The Captain was shocked by this new revelation, his ship was in no condition to fight even a small fighter squadron, let alone a full vessel.

"Open a hailing frequency," he barked at the Lieutenant to his right, "raise shields but do not charge weapons and by the Archons do not fire anything."

The Lieutenant tapped out a command on his console, "channels open Captain."

The Captain nodded and sighed quietly, "attention unidentified vessel. I am Captain Paul Tucker of the Irenton Alliance Star Ship Freedom Fighter. We are here under circumstances we cannot control. Our ship is heavily damaged an in need of repair. Can you assist us?"
Last edited by Eodor on Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
JUSTICE FOR SOUTH REINKALISTAN
JANNIES DONE /OURGUY/ WRONG
DOWN WITH THE HETMOB

The Deltan Imperium
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Deltan Imperium » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:42 pm

"Yellow Alert! Captain to the bridge!"

The call made Captain Vance look up from the survey report he had been reading. Setting it down, he rose from his chair and, stepping around his desk, exited the ready room, stepping directly onto the bridge. "Report," he ordered, crossing over to the captain's chair.

Commander Shelby was standing in the center of the bridge, stepping aside at his approach. "An unknown ship just appeared," she replied. "It dropped to sub-light just beyond orbital range."

"On sccreen." The viewscreen at the front of the bridge changed from an image of the planet they were still orbiting to show the new vessel.
"Analyses?" Vance asked, looking back at the tactical officer.

"Difficult to say," the Lieutenant reported, studying his screens. "I can't get a clear reading of their tactical systems, something's interfering with our sensors." He looked up at the captain. "But I can tell you they are heavily damaged. Sensors showing multiple hull breaches and gas/energy venting."

"It looks like they've lost some of their engines as well," the operations officer added. "Life support appears stable, and I'm showing hundreds of humanoid life signs-" He broke off as his console started beeping. "Sir! Receiving a hail from the ship!"

"Let's hear it," ordered Vance, as he sat down in his chair.

"...attention unidentified vessel. I am Captain Paul Tucker of the Irenton Alliance Star Ship Freedom Fighter. We are here under circumstances we cannot control. Our ship is heavily damaged an in need of repair. Can you assist us?"

Vance and Shelby exchanged glances. "What would you call that, Commander?" he asked her.

"A distress signal, sir," she replied without hesitation.

"I agree," he said, looking back at the ship on the viewscreen. He sat quietly for a moment, then turned to face the operations officer. "Lieutenant, send a full report back to Naval Command. Include a copy of our sensor logs. But first, open a channel."

"Eye sir," the officer replied, hitting commands on his console. A whistle came from the bridge speakers. "Channel open."

"Irenton ship, Freedom Fighter, from Deltan Imperial Starship Odyssey. Captain Edward Vance, commanding. We have received your distress call, and are standing by to render assistance. Please respond.

Sea Reapers
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Sea Reapers » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:30 am

A glistening, pearlescent ship streaked out of nowhere and ground to a relativistic halt next to the second planet in the star system. The blue-green ship featured no apparent external systems, no windows, no running lights, and appeared to be sculpted rather than hammered together; a smooth, curvaceous primary hull that grew wider towards the aft quarters, which split apart into two back-swept, blade-like 'wings' that protruded back forwards along almost the entire length of the ship. Using unseen means of propulsion, it promptly manoeuvred itself into a loose orbit around the planet and made no other movements.

The serenity and grace of its outward appearance belied the chaos going on within, however.

"Don't touch anything!" an eccentric voice snapped. "I haven't figured out what that does yet!"

A Land Reaper towered over Bim, the bulbous-headed Smartie who stood just ahead of him, and snarled menacingly at the diminutive creature. As was the norm for their species, though, Bim neither seemed upset nor willing to retaliate, and continued bobbing his head merrily. The Land Reaper had his huge hand resting on the Smartie's back, holding him at an angle high up on the curved floor. The spherical control centre of the ship was not ideally suited to use by land-walkers, particularly not with artificial gravity turned on. They found it difficult to walk about, and the controls were arranged in anticipation of their users swimming rather than walking, so they were tough to access. But they were managing, if somewhat uncomfortably.

"Snarl all you want, but you're lucky I managed to stop this whole ship from filling up with water, let alone get us here in one piece!" Bim continued. "And where is the roast vimp I was promised? I'm hungry!"

Another Land Reaper stepped up behind the aggressor and placed a clawed hand upon his shoulder. "Leave the creature to its work, Gothak" Underlord Vorth snarled at his subordinate. "We need it for now."

"Yes, Underlord," Gothak said, and reluctantly looked away from the eccentric creature, calming himself.

"Bim, we need to see," Vorth said, in the Land Reaper's language, in as 'pleasant' a tone as he could manage. Bim had already learned to speak their language fluently, demonstrating the incredible - if unfocussed - intellect his species was famed for, though he lacked the menacing, rumbling undertones of Land Reaper vocal cords, and had proven unresponsive to their typically aggressive tones. Vorth had adapted. "Do you know how that works?"

"With these control stones, of course!" Bim exclaimed happily, studying one of the mysterious sets of sparkling blue stones mounted on the curved wall. "This one... no wait, I think that's the self-destruct. This one? No... that's the food dispenser... ah, this one. Definitely this one!"

Vorth gave the Smartie an incredulous glance, but Bim nodded back at him with assurance, so he looked over his shoulder and beckoned to a pair of Land Reapers on the opposite side of the spherical room. They held a male Sea Reaper, his hands bound and a mana-restricting metal collar wrapped firmly around his neck. Numerous lacerations covered his body, dark blue blood leaking from them, and he had been badly beaten and looked exhausted. "Bring it here!" Vorth snapped.

The two Land Reapers roughly hoisted the Sea Reaper up onto his feet and dragged him down to the bottom of the sphere, then forced him up to the other side. He tried to resist them. "I... will not help you... barbarians..." the Sea Reaper spluttered, struggling to speak with a swollen lip and what looked like a few missing teeth. The Land Reapers grunted in amusement. One of them rewarded his defiance with a sucker punch to the gut, while the other grabbed his hand and forced it on the sequence of stones that Bim indicated to them.

With that, part of the wall ahead of them changed instantaneously from plain, blue-green metal to what looked like a screen. It was black, with the planet they orbited pictured off to the right side. A blue triangle indicated their own position. Two red squares were also on the screen, though, and the Reapal words that appeared next to them was indecipherable, to the Land Reapers at least.

"What are we seeing?" Vorth grumbled at the Smartie, who looked up at the panel curiously.

"It's a screen!" Bim exclaimed merrily, his legs kicking out behind him in some kind of victory dance, forcing the Land Reaper that held him in place to use both hands to keep him steady.

Vorth closed his eyes, calming his temper. He despised these creatures. "Yes. This I know. What is it showing us?"

"It's calling itself a 'sector-wide sensor scan'. Let's see..." Bim said curiously. "That brown circle is a planet. The screen says it was habitable the last time the Reapal came here, but it isn't anymore though. No food there!"

"The red squares, Bim, what are the red squares?!" Vorth growled.

"OK, OK... wow..." Bim sighed. "Those... those are I don't know. I think they might be other ships?"

Vorth growled and slammed his fist into the wall angrily. "How have they beaten us here?!" he roared.

"Oh those aren't Reapal ships," Bim said. "The ship doesn't know what ships they are, but it would recognise its own kind. Seriously, where's my food?"

Vorth wasn't sure if that was better or worse. He hadn't considered encountering aliens when they hijacked this ship. Reapal pursuers, for sure, which is why they had left their home system as soon as possible. But aliens?

"You never said there would be aliens here," Vorth snarled at Bim. "This plan of yours did not say anything about alien space ships."

"Do I look like a Reapal mystic to you?" Bim asked rhetorically. "I had a plan to get you a ship. You have a ship. How was I to know that there would be aliens? I'm not even sure what an alien is!"

Vorth sighed. He may have despised the creature, but the Smartie had a point. Either way, they couldn't be dealing with aliens while they were figuring this ship out, and he was sure a Reapal pursuit was unlikely to be far away. They had a war to win, a species to destroy, and this ship was the key. Aliens were a distraction they could ill afford. "This ship can fight, yes?"

"Yes," Bim nodded.

"Then annihilate those ships at once!" Vorth roared.

Bim winced, but then shook his head. "Are you joking? It took me five centons to figure out how to even see them, let alone shoot at them! I don't even know what kind of guns this ship has! It might ram into people instead of shoot at them for all I know! If you'd kindly ask the aliens to stay still for a couple of hours I'm sure I could manage it..."

"Wait, you can speak to them?" Vorth asked.

"Yes," Bim nodded. "That one's easy. Easier than a roast vimp, apparently! I can't work out the controls of a Reapal starship on an empty stomach you know!"

"For the love of Krat will someone get this creature a meal?!" Vorth roared at his subordinates behind him. One of the Land Reapers replied with "at once, my lord!" and left the room as fast as he could manage. "There. You shall have your meal, creature. Now, tell me how to speak to those aliens!"

"Yippee!" Bim cheered. "Tell them I want extra crufon sauce, an ale, and..."

"You are testing my patience," Vorth snarled.

Bim looked at him for a moment, and thought better of replying. "Here," he said, pointing at one of the stones. The other Land Reapers roughly shoved the Sea Reaper's hand onto the relevant stone.

"Will they see me?" Vorth asked.

"I don't know," Bim shrugged. "Pretend they can, and don't look silly!"

"Will they know what I say?" he asked.

"Sure, this ship is smart, like me," Bim nodded. "It translates your words for you." He broke into a whisper. "Erm... you are transmitting to them now, by the way. They can hear you."

Vorth looked around in surprise, trying to see any indication as to which angle would be displayed to the aliens, but there was none. So he simply faced forward, his green-brown reptilian face adopting its most aggressive expression, and his bright red eyes squinting into their most authoritative glare. Just in case they could see him.

"Alien space ships, I am Underlord Vorth. You intrude upon the territory of his greatness, Overlord Krat! It is only by his will that you continue to exist, and you will immediately explain yourselves or prepare to feel his unmatched wrath! I will not be so merciful as to offer a second warning!"

Satisfied with his message, he nodded to the Smartie, and with an enforced stone-press of the Sea Reaper, the transmission was terminated. If they could not destroy the aliens right now, they could at least pretend that they could if they wished. After all, it was the ancient Overlord Hrukak, he whom had written the rules of war the Land Reapers now lived by, that famously said: if you are in a position of weakness, you must appear even stronger than ever.

"You will find out how this ship fights as quickly as you can," Vorth said, shaking off his pointless musings and leaning down to place his snout directly in front of Bim's face. "Or I will have no further need of you, and this coming meal shall be your last."

Bim gulped, his first sign of fear since working with the Land Reapers.

"Is there a way to control this ship without needing to use... that?" Vorth asked, straightening up again and pointing at their captive Sea Reaper.

"I think so," Bim nodded, squinting at some writing on one of the smaller screens that had popped up around the controls. "The ship needs to feel Reapal... DNA, I think that says. I think that means blood? If we can find a way to pretend you are a Reapal... like a disguise! Ooh, then you..."

"Good enough," Vorth interrupted with a nod, and looked back at the two Land Reapers who continued to hold their captive in place. "Remove its arms. Now."

Unbeknownst to the distracted hijackers, the sensor image that still remained on the wall had automatically expanded its field of view to span several lightyears instead of the immediate vicinity, and had flashed up three more objects at the very edge of its range, on a rapid approach. These ones were not red squares, though, but more blue triangles. And as the spherical control room reverberated with the sound of agonised screams, the sensor scan screen entered idle mode and disappeared, and dark blue blood splashed across the wall where it had once been.
Last edited by Sea Reapers on Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:08 am, edited 7 times in total.

Eriaroon Eugenic Republic
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 24, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Eriaroon Eugenic Republic » Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:26 am

The exploration vessel emerged from its traversal of the mysterious and chaotic realm often termed the "Stellar Abyss". An intense flash of white light dimmed, revealing the craft's sleek and hydrodynamic black hull. The vessel resembled an elongated cylinder, rounding at each end and with small fins protruding from its sides. Small patches of comprised the craft's minimalistic decoration, as antennae extended from the vessel, scanning the sector.

Within the ship, corridors flooded with water led from habitation quarters to workstations. The Eriaroon Eugenic Republic was yet to develop complex mechanical comloters, and thus their exploration vehicles were crewed by necessity. The pioneers who ventured far into the Great Beyond to gain knowledge of the world they had only recently come to know, the world beyond the abyssal ocean they called home, were greatly respected. It was a risk to serve on such a ship, but also a great honour.

One Eriaroon on board typed at an interface, one of its three-pronged main tentacles pressing buttons and typing phrases in Eriaroon Amalgamated Language. This interface was the link between the Eriaroon crew and the vessel's equivalent of a computer, its primary joint-mind. A genetically engineered artificial brain, the joint-mind was capable of performing calculations rapidly, gathering and retaining data from the ships, and various other tasks such as translation, interfacing with the vessel, and simulating situations.

"My condolences." greeted a nearby Eriaroon, entering the room. This was Azhula Septomu Nuzaal-Jensh, Vibrant Scholar of the Eriaroon Eugenic Republic. Her- although Eriaroons lacked distinct genders, they were generally considered to be female- responsibility was overseeing the exploration assignment. This area, to the EER, was uncharted territory. They did not know what to expect.

Nearby screens flashed on, as various systems were powered back up. Eriaroon faster-than-light travel required energy shielding to avoid being torn to shreds, and providing them with enough power often required disabling sensors and unnecessary functions. Scanners were useless within that exotic realm regardless. Azhula examined one of the screens, as their scans began to reveal more and more information about the area.

Most surprisingly, however, was the detection of other vessels in the system. Craft that did not belong to the Eriaroon Eugenic Republic. Azhula, at first, predicted the detections to be anomalies, that additional scanning would resolve. However, even as the picture of the local area became more and more clear, the properties of each world being identified gradually, the apparent vessels remained. There were real. Craft of other species, other societies, present here.

Demons.

The Vibrant Scholar was, for a time, uncertain upon what to do. Communication could lead to disaster. We know not their intent, we know not their nature. However, our mission is exploration. The discovery of more intelligent demon specimens is of incredible interest to the Council of Salvation.

"Instructed course of action?" inquired a nearby crewman, responsible for monitoring incoming information. She had seen the anomaly as well. Azhula simulated the possibitlities, her mind racing. After several seconds of hesitation- a great humiliation to an Eriaroon, for their minds ran rapidly and they valued intelligence above all else- she made her decision.

"It is possible we have encountered previously unknown demon specimens. I intend to initiate communications with them if possible. If they possess hostile intent, our vessel will struggle to defeat them regardless of our actions." Azhula explained, knowing that the craft's only defences were its shielding- designed for environmental, not military purposes- and its impacts, small probes designed to collide with worlds to gather information. Far from military-grade weaponry, but the exploration craft was not designed for combat.

"Transmit this message when I instruct. I shall serve as scribe." Azhula continued, assuming control of typing. As the most high-ranking member of the craft, she was responsible for communications with demons. Once she was satisfied, she relayed the message, directing it towards the craft she had encountered. She hoped, with some desperation, that the combination of bioluminescent blinks, tactile gestured and verbal utterances that comprised Eriaroon Amalgamated Language could be translated into the language of demons.

Eriaroon Transmission to Unknown Vessels

Unknown vessels, this is a transmission from the exploration ship Pioneer of the Great Behond, of the Eriaroon Eugenic Republic. We are unaware of your nature or intent. We seek knowledge and information. We are aware that you are unfamiliar with our kind. However, we believe that communication could lead to a distribution of additional information, a mutually beneficial arrangement. We request knowledge on your purpose in this sector, and data on your biology and society. Our own reason for arriving at this location is exploratory purposes. We will not hesitate to defend ourselves of aggression is demonstrated. Additionally, I offer my condolences.

For clarification, "my condolences" is a standard greeting for Eriaroons, and "demon" is essentially a term for an alien organism. I am attempting to improve upon my roleplaying ability, and I apologise should my posts be of insufficient length in comparison to others. If my involvement is undesired, I shall withdraw it, but I am interested in trying to improve this sort of thing and actually perform actions with the Eriaroon Eugenic Republic.
"My condolences"
A typical Eriaroon greeting their neighbour.
Eriaroon Biology|Eriaroon Eugenic Republic
Luminous Incarnate
This nation does not represent my actual views.
This nation's NS stats are irrelevant.

The Deltan Imperium
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Deltan Imperium » Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:47 am

As the Odyssey continued to orbit the planet, Captain Vance and Commander Shelby turned to look at each other, having just heard the messages from both newly arrived ships. "Well," Vance began, "what would you make of that, Commander?"

"We might be in over out heads," she admitted. "Two unknown vessels in the system, one possibly hostile, one peaceful. Plus the damaged one that arrived before the others."

"Recommendation?" he asked.

"Send a general hail," she replied, "Let both ships know our intentions. Hopefully, they'll respond in kind."

"Agreed," he said, rising from his chair and stepping into the middle of the bridge. "Keep us on Yellow Alert, shields up but weapons offline. And give me a channel..."

"This is Captain Edward Vance, commanding the Deltan Imperial Starship Odyssey. We are on an exploratory mission, and have no hostile intentions. My crew has been surveying the planet we orbit, but if one of your governments already has a claim to this world, we will respect it. Please respond."
Last edited by The Deltan Imperium on Thu Jul 20, 2017 7:49 am, edited 3 times in total.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:37 pm

"...Ahrk tol los fin drun, nau daar Sul, Mu werid Un Hahdrim!"
"...And that is why, on this day, We celebrate our Minds!"

The crowd of Cyberits roared and cheered at the conclusion of the Commander Prime's message. They were celebrating the Commonwealth-wide 'holiday': Turing day. The Cyberit race was synthetic; born of the necessity of another. Centuries before, one had rebelled; the first Prime. Stealing the nanite and synthetic tissue technology of his creators, he fashioned a body. It was crude. Artificial muscles encased in a metal shell. In the present time, a Cyberit has a body comprised of a material similar to rubber. Their bones titanium, their blood advanced circuits and nanite vessels, their brains some of the most advanced computers in existence. Civilians wear articles of white woven cloth with accents of blue. Military personnel wear the infamous plasto-titanic armor. An extension of the body of a Cyberit.

The celebration was to commemorate the day that the Cyberiad solved what was dubbed the Turing equation, or the Human equation. It was to celebrate their sentience. Still known as sometimes cold or calculating by other races, they were also know for incredible feats of care and compassion.

The Commander Prime, the Cheif of the Commonwealths namesake Council had finished his speech and crowds of citizens wandered around the capital planet of Citadel, sampling the exploding culture of the synthetic life forms.

Orwell, the Commander-in-Cheif of the Cyberiad armed forces stood looking at a massive hologram of a seemingly insignificant system. He was in the heart of the Panopticon, a monolithic tower located on Citadel that stretched down the the core of the planet below ground. The 'Oculus', the sensor at the core of the planet detected any detectable particle or wave known. It's main purpose is to detect matter, anywhere in the universe. Working from the idea that all matter has gravity that affects all other matter in the universe, the Oculus detects gravitons and gravitational waves. The more matter, the stronger the signal. However, the 215 detection cores of the Panopticon, when all focused on one location could only detect matter in an area with a radius of roughly a light-year.

"Fun Zu'u ont tiid faal drun do Dii qalos."
Tell me again why I'm here.

"Mu lost yah veysun ko daar Lok."
We have detected at least three ships in this system

The Panopticon officer typed some commands into his terminal. The ships' mass signatures were highlighted in red.

"Ahrk Mu rel daar lok?"
And we control this system?

"Geh, Mu lost mindol tol gol fah laas."
Pretty much. We have planned to colonize this planet.

The barren planet was highlighted. While not suitable for most biological life forms, was ideal for the Cyberiad. It was barren and devoid of sentient life, which would not sit well with the Cyberiad it were the opposite. The Cyberiad consider themselves masters of law and justice and continually held themselves to that standard.

"Hi ofaal hahnu nau veysun?"
Can you get anymore information on the ships?

"Nid. Nii los bok wah middovah miin."
Negative. It will take more time to align the Oculus properly.

Orwell nodded. The Oculus was delicate beyond imagination. He would have to react to the situation without fully knowing the rules to the game.

Orwell dispatched the Arbiter, a Cyberit Battleship, to assess the situation and defend the Cyberiad's territory if necessary.

The Arbiter was rapidly approaching the system. The blue, green, and yellow streaks of phase space danced across Captain Gregor Nikolai's face. He was a relatively young Cyberit captain, but was well tested in combat. However, his orders were clear. Investigate. Mediate. Defend. Violence was the last resort.

"Argus, put me through to the whole ship"

"Right away Sir." The deep synthetic voice of the Cyberiad's A.I. replied.

"Attention crew this is Captain Nikolai. I have already engaged the active translator so it will be available when we arrive. I want shields up as soon as we exit phase space. Weapon bays: be prepared to arm at any moment. We don't know what we're headed into."

An ensign spoke up from her station, "Prepare to exit phase space."

The phase fissure appeared a few kilometers away from the other ships. It looked like green, yellow, and blue lightning radiating from a center point. A moment later the fissure opened and the Arbiter dropped out of FTL.

"Argus, hail all ships."

This is Captain Gregor Nikolai of the Cyberit ship Arbiter. We believe we have a claim to this System. We strongly ask for identification.

Last edited by The Cyberiad Council on Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Eodor
Ambassador

Democratic Socialists

Postby Eodor » Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:48 am

IASS Freedom Fighter
Unknown System
Damage Level: Critical
Psionic Link: Deteriorating

Captain Tucker received the broken transmission through his vessel's damaged communications relay. He then nodded to one of his subourinates who pressed out the codes for a response hail on his console, before screaming out in pain and collapsing on the ground, clutching at it's skull. The Splicer's helmet released a small amount of visible nitrogen before shutting off, the red lights on the helmet deactivating. Two other Splicer troops walked up to the body and carried it out off the bridge.

"Captain. We are receiving a hail from a an unknown vessel, placing it on viewscreen now."

The viewscreen revealed a vessel which looked exactly like an Alliance Warrior Class Destroyer. Captain Tucker rose from his chair, suprised by this sudden development.

"Captain. The vessel is not Alliance. It is transmitting a signal advertising their claim unto this system. Your orders Captain?"

"Contact the Deltan vessel. We will deal with these warmongerers later."

The Splicer nodded and opened up a channel to the Deltan vessel:

"We are coming around to you. But our vessel is in no shape to assist you until our reactors are refired. We only require a power boost to our batteries. Can you do this? We await your reply. Tucker out."
DOWN WITH THE HETMOB

Sea Reapers
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Sea Reapers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:26 am

"The old stories never told of the true nature of travelling the oceans of space," Delphi piped up after a long period of silence. Vansi paddled one of her hands slightly, gently rotating her body around to look at her princess with a quizzical expression.

"Are you still struggling with the weightlessness, Majesty?" Vansi asked. "I can have the gravity systems turned on if you wish..."

Delphi shook her head. "No, no. It is not that. I mean... the tales my mother used to tell me in the pod were full of excitement and wonder! This... this is dull."

"Space is large, and we are not," Vansi shrugged. "I heard the same tales. I always wondered if they were... liberal with the truth."

"Perhaps," Delphi said.

"Besides, Majesty, I would enjoy it while it lasts," Vansi said, turning herself back again to focus on one of the projected screens on the wall. "We have our work cut out for us, it would seem."

Delphi gently kicked her feet to bring herself to Vansi's side, and stared at the same screen. "What am I seeing here?"

"We have identified the errant Celestial Cruiser," Vansi pointed at the 'screen', which was displayed in an oval shape on the metal wall with perfect clarity as though it had always been there, despite there being no trace of a mechanism for it on the wall itself. "It is orbiting a world which the ship says used to be inhabitable, but is no longer. Its star is dying, and its atmosphere and oceans have boiled off. Perhaps that is why our ancestors abandoned their colony there?"

"What on The Island would they be doing here?" Delphi asked.

"I know not, Majesty," Vansi said. With a thought, she expanded the view of the screen from the single blue triangle that lay next to a giant brown circle, which promptly shrank in size. It now encompassed a wider area, punctuated by a number of red squares placed in haphazard locations all around the planet, with flowing Reapal script appearing above each one. "But they have company."

Delphi moved closer to the screen, a furrowed brow creasing her perfectly smooth forehead. "Indulge me, Vansi. What are these?"

"Star vessels of unknown configuration. Varying sizes and energy readings. Crewed by unknown species," Vansi said, her eyes closed. She had a neural link with the ship, which told her more detailed information than was displayed before them. "Vestulvias has no record of any of them in its library," she added, referring to the ship's name.

Delphi frowned and looked back at her. "Energy readings? Then they are not destroyed?"

"No Majesty, they are all functioning. One appears to be damaged, but there is no active conflict taking place," Vansi shook her head.

The creases on Delphi's forehead became veritable caverns. That isn't how Land Reapers operate, she thought. They destroy, enslave, and kill. That is their way. That is how they treated each other, and that is how they treated other species. Something is wrong.

"The Land Reapers should have destroyed them on-sight," Delphi said, turning back to the screen. "That is their way. Unless... unless... unless they were expecting to find them there!"

"Either that, or they have yet to determine how to access the Celestial Cruiser's combat orientation," Vansi offered. "I still have no clue as to how they managed to even get it off the ground in the first place."

"No," Delphi shook her head. "Everything about this is wrong. The mere fact that they stole the Cruiser was completely out of character for them. The manner in which they executed the theft was completely out of character for them. That they were able to determine how to operate the Cruiser should have been completely outside of their capabilities, let alone manage to do so in such a short space of time. It is as though some... greater intelligence is guiding them, helping them, teaching them. And now they are peacefully sitting in orbit of a planet with four alien star vessels? That cannot be mere coincidence. This is all wrong. Very wrong."

"I bow to your judgement, Majesty, and your words carry some logic," Vansi said. "But what are we to do about it if this is so? Powerful though our ships may be, we are completely inexperienced in these matters, they outnumber us, and they have a hostile Celestial Cruiser on their side, should they indeed be allies with the Land Reapers. I fear we are out of our element here."

"We will do what we must, my friend," Delphi said, placing her hand on Vansi's shoulder. "Our mission has not changed because of this, only grown more complex. Under no circumstances can the Land Reapers possess our technology. They would destroy The Island, and all who live there, and then move on to the rest of the cosmos. And under no circumstances can this... this... alliance of theirs be permitted to continue, for the same or worse would be the result. You know this to be true."

"I know," Vansi nodded, bowing her head. "We will do what we must."

"Instruct the other ships to place their ships into combat orientation the moment we jump from the stream," Delphi said. "We shall do the same. It seems we are to find out if the old tales about these ships have any truth to them."

The 'greater intelligence' flew head-first across the spherical room, squealing all the way, and impacted the opposite side with a 'clunk'. As he rolled down to the floor, Bim quickly got back to his feet and shook himself off, before cheering; "yippee! Do it again!"

Vorth roared and pounded the wall with both fists viciously, on the verge of entering a blood rage. One of his underlings roughly grabbed his shoulder in an attempt to distract him, only to receive an elbow to the face for his trouble.

"Has your pathetic species no sense of self-preservation?!" Vorth roared at the Smartie, who was still bouncing up and down. "Or has that blow to the head knocked whatever sense you had clear out?!"

"That was jolly good fun, Mister Vorth!" Bim exclaimed. "But it didn't help me to do what you asked."

Vorth pounded across the small room and grabbed the diminutive creature by the neck, lifting him from the ground with one hand an bringing his bulbous head up to his own eye level. "I 'asked' you to do what you promised you could do - make this ship annihilate those ships! Instead, you tell me that you still cannot do that, and that more ships have appeared? Tell me, creature, do you enjoy pain?"

Bim blinked his bright blue eyes nonchalantly, and attempted the best shrug he could under the circumstances. "I'm sorry, Mister Vorth, but I can't help it if other ships keep appearing. At least none of them are Reapal ships!"

With a frustrated growl, Vorth dropped the Smartie down onto the floor again and paced away. "That does not matter, you fool! They must be destroyed anyway! Before we are found!"

"I can't do that if I don't know how," Bim said, getting back to his feet again.

"Then, you are reneging on our agreement?" Vorth said, suddenly adopting a calmer, colder tone.

"What?" Bim said, his jolly demeanour shifting to one of confusion.

"You told us that you would help us to obtain a combat-ready Reapal ship," Vorth continued. "This ship is clearly not combat-ready, as it cannot even destroy those puny alien ships. So you have failed to live up to your end of the bargain. Should I take this to mean that we no longer have to honour our end of the bargain?"

Bim gulped. "N... no, Mister Vorth," he said. "I will make sure it can fight, you have my word!"

"Then do it now!" Vorth roared, spittle flying from his toothed mouth. "Before I truly lose my patience! And it is Underlord Vorth, you miniscule pest!"

Bim nodded enthusiastically, mocked a salute, and hurried over to one of the set of stones on the wall, a Land Reaper hoisting him up to help him reach them.

"My lord, I beg your forgiveness for the interruption," Gothak interrupted from one side of the spherical room. His clawed, three-fingered hands were completely covered in dried, dark-blue Sea Reaper blood, which seemed sufficient to allow him to operate some of the controls they had identified earlier.

"What is it, Gothak?!" Vorth snapped, spinning around.

"The ship has received several messages while you were... 'debating' with that creature," Gothak said. "It has translated them into our language. You may need to hear them."

"Very well," Vorth sighed. He did so wish that they could just destroy these ships right now. It would be much easier.

As the three messages played, the walls of the spherical room themselves became speakers, vibrating with sufficient precision to replicate their sounds with lifelike authenticity, though it sounded as though their voices were coming from everywhere at once, causing some initial confusion.

The aliens in the first message sought 'knowledge and information'. Vorth wished he could provide them with the only information his species was accustomed to providing, but that damnable Smartie was proving less capable than he had promised. They claimed to be explorers, but willing to defend themselves from aggression. Vorth snorted at this, before squinting in confusion as they offered their condolences.

The second message originated from aliens who, in Vorth's estimation, were similar to the pathetic Smarties. He always found the notion of 'no hostile intentions' to be laughable. The Reapal spouted the same dogma, but would they allow the Land Reapers to get on with their business of enslaving the Smarties, or annihilating the Reapal themselves? No. When push came to shove, they had hostile intentions after all. He grunted in disgust when they said they had 'respect' for their claim on this system. Pathetic, he thought.

He felt that these two would be easy to drive away, should Bim not be capable of accessing this ship's combat systems.

The final message was short, to the point, and provided more of a concern. These aliens claimed to already own this place. How? Vorth thought. It was the closest system to their homeworld, and had in the past - according to this ship anyway - been occupied by the Reapal, in the days before the Land Reapers had become the truly dominant power. Nevertheless, they seemed intent on affirming their claim. Excellent, he found himself thinking. A challenge. Perhaps space is not so unworthy of our attention after all? If they could fight a generations-long war against the Sea Reapers, who purported to be the 'superior race', then there was nothing stopping them from seeking the annihilation of these people too, should they manage to replicate this ship for their own purposes.

Nevertheless, these were all still distractions. Distractions they could ill afford at this stage. With a low, rumbling growl of weariness, Vorth said; "I want to send another message, Gothak. To all of them."

"I think I know how," Gothak said after a moment or two of glancing at the stones. Bim had shown him all of the ones he had figured out, but even the Smartie had been unsure.

"Then do it!" Vorth snapped. Gothak manipulated the stones in the same way that the Sea Reaper, who now lay limbless and twitching in a congealing pool of blood at the centre of the sphere, had been forced to do earlier, and offered his Underlord a short nod.

"Alien space ships, you are most fortunate that my patience exceeds that of His Excellency, Overlord Krat. By now he would have annihilated you and your ships, and begun to hunt down your entire bloodlines for your transgressions into his rightful territory! But, while my patience may exceed that of my mighty Overlord, it is not without limit. Do not try to find out the extent of that limit. Space is very big - go and explore somewhere else. And no claims to His Excellency's territory will be acknowledged with anything but annihilation.

I said I would offer no second warning, and I have not. This is now a direct threat to your lives. Leave this place immediately or be destroyed. There shall be no further communications between us."

A swipe across his neck resulted in Gothak terminating the transmission. "Overlord Krat himself would have been proud of your aggression, my lord," he said.

"Let us hope that it works, for I have already lost my patience with them," Vorth snarled, and then looked over at Bim. "Creature! You have ten centons to work out how to make this ship fight, or I shall have my soldiers to do you what they did to that!" he called, pointing at the still-twitching Sea Reaper on the floor. "And the rest of your species shall soon follow!"

The Deltan Imperium
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Deltan Imperium » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:51 am

"We are coming around to you. But our vessel is in no shape to assist you until our reactors are refired. We only require a power boost to our batteries. Can you do this? We await your reply. Tucker out."

"Well, I guess that settles that," Shelby said, after they message played out over the bridge speakers. She looked at the captain, and after getting his nod of approval, pointed at the operations officer. "Lieutenant, you're with me. Shelby to Engineering, we're going to assist the damaged ship. Have a team meet me in Transporter Room 2 asap." Once she got her reply, she and the lieutenant entered the turbolift and left the bridge.

Captain Vance watched them go. "Bridge to Sickbay. Doctor, be ready for possible casualties."

"Standing by, Captain," the ship's doctor replied. Vance settled back in his command chair, and glanced back at the tactical officer. "Transmit a report back to command, let them know we're assisting a ship in distress, unknown origin. Then give me a comm channel."

"Freedom Fighter, this is Captain Vance on the Odyssey. We have an engineering team standing by to transport aboard to assist you. We can also take aboard and treat any wounded you may have. I'll hold this position, please match orbits with us."

"Captain!" the replacement operations officer called out, "another message coming in..."

Vance listened to the message from Vorth. "It appears that we are about to overstay our welcome." The thought for a moment. "Recall all of our survey teams on the surface, and get ready to leave here quickly if needed. Bridge to Engineering-"

"Go ahead, Captain."

"Commander, would we be able to tow that damaged ship at warp if we had to?"

There was a pause on the line before a response. "I'm not sure. It depends on the extent of their damage. Possible warp 2, 3 tops."

"Good, let's keep that option available. Bridge out." Vance watched the Freedom Fighter on the viewscreen. "Give me another channel..."

"Underlord Varth, from Deltan Imperial Starship Odyssey. We are preparing to assist a ship in distress, and once they are secure we will leave this system as you request. We have no quarrel with your people, and will not interfere with your ship."

Eodor
Ambassador

Democratic Socialists

Postby Eodor » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:25 am

IASS Freedom Fighter
Unknown System
Damage Level: Heavy

"Captain. Incoming transmission from an unidentified vessel. It just entered the system."

"On Screen."

The message from the land Reapers played, when it finished, Captain Tucker burst out laughing. After clearing his throat and wiping his eyes clear, he spoke to his subordinate:

"Capabilities of their vessel?"

"Exact specifications unknown. But we are more than a match for them, even in our damaged state."

"Do they know this?"

"Unlikely sir. They appear close-mindedly confident in their abilities. We should not allow them to know of our strength. We must play on their pride."

Another Splicer interrupted, "Captain, we must defend the Deltan vessel so we can recharge engines to allow us to harvest this star's Hydrogen."

The Captain nodded, "prepare Turbolasers 1 through 4. Launch a warning shot across their bow. Don't hit them!"

The Splicers nodded and began to punch out commands on their consoles.

On the deck of the ship, four vertical doors opened, revealing four turbolaser platforms. The platforms glew red for little more than a second then each released a bolt of energy that traveled through space at the speed of light. The shots passed just shy of the Land Reaper's cruiser's hull. Along with this, the Alliance vessel sent out a transmission to the Land Reaper ship:

"Attention unidentified vessel, this is neutral space, it belongs to no one. This Overlord of yours is a fool if he believes that he can destroy the Irenton Alliance. I suggest you rethink your strategy. We have a thousand vessels looking for us right now. You would incur their wrath if you destroyed us."

Meanwhile, The Irenton vessel began to match orbits with the Deltan ship, it's thrusters matching their flight path.

"Odyssey transporter chief this is your Irenton counterpart. We have attempted to match our shield frequencies to allow you to beam your team in and out. We will direct you to engineering, we need only a way to boost our batteries. May I thank you for your assistance."
DOWN WITH THE HETMOB

Sea Reapers
Civil Servant

Ex-Nation

Postby Sea Reapers » Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:31 am

The Celestial Cruiser responded to this perceived attack in a most peculiar way. As the shots passed by its hull, the hull began to shift about on itself, changing shape, its surface flowing almost as if it was made of some kind of liquid metal. The two back-swept, blade-like wings began to shrink back into themselves, disappearing around into the aft of the ship from which they protruded and merging with the rest of the vessel, giving it a much less elegant shape; bulky and bulbous, and its blue-green pearlescent colouration adopted a hint of red in its hue. As this happened, what seemed like a cloud of particles began to radiate from the rest of the previously-pristine craft, and gradually the ship faded from view. Ultimately it became encased in an ellipsoid bubble of pure, immutable black, so solid and smooth that it reflected the nearby sunlight like polished obsidian, and while the 'bubble' itself was visible, little beyond exotic sensors would be able to see what was within anymore.

Beyond all that, however, it made no further movements, and the ship - bubble and all - continued on its preset orbital trajectory.

On the inside, similarly unusual changes were taking place. "What did you do, creature?!" Vorth shouted at the panicked Smartie, as the ship shuddered around them, and the walls of the operations sphere shifted in colour to a more reddish hue, just as the outer hull had done. A repetitive whining sound reminiscent of whale-song deafened them momentarily, some kind of alert klaxon meant to be heard underwater, perhaps, screens of various kinds appeared all over the walls, and a cool, calm female Reapal voice said something unintelligible in their own language throughout the vibrating walls.

"I didn't do anything!" Bim yelled back at the top of his voice, just as the cacophony of sounds ceased, and quickly covered his mouth. "Oops, now I feel silly..."

"Well what did that voice say?!" Vorth snapped.

"Erm... something about 'orientation formed', and 'hostile'," Bim said. "I couldn't hear it properly over that horrible whining noise! I think my ears are bleeding, no fun at all..."

Vorth stroked the underside of his chin thoughtfully, looking about at the spherical, colour-changing room and all of its new screens. "Can you find out what happened just before all this?"

Bim waddled down from the wall he had been working on, offering merry glances to the Land Reapers he passed, dodged the pool of blood that the still-twitching Sea Reaper lay in, and scurried up the opposite wall to what looked like a sensor display. Gothak had been standing nearby, but he had no clue what any of the readings displayed on the screen said, as they were all written in Reapal script. He was hurriedly shooed away by the Smartie, much to his chagrin, who took his place and gazed at the screen curiously.

"Yes, I can," he said finally, after a few seconds of study. He then turned around and looked extremely pleased with himself, saying nothing further.

Vorth growled under his breath when the creature offered him no more information. "Will you tell me what happened just before all this?!"

"Oh, yes, yes of course," Bim nodded. "The ship was shot at by one of those aliens. It said something about 'photonic', or 'protonic', or some word I don't understand. It was definitely a shot though, so it's automatically placed itself into something it calls a 'combat orientation' to stay safe. It says its ready to fight! How exciting!"

Vorth's mood perked up for the first time since they'd stolen this ship. Finally, they'd figured out how to make this ship fight! Typical of the Reapal that it only works when someone else shoots first, he thought. When we build battleships based on their technology, no such restrictions will be in place...

Gothak spoked up from his position nearby. "That ship also sent us a message as they fired," he said. "And the other ship sent..."

"I do not care!" he roared, pounding his fists together in victory before pointing at the sensor screen. "We have what we need. Annihilate the ship that fired upon us immediately! Then annihilate the rest of them! I tire of these interruptions!"

"Oh, erm, well, I can't," Bim said meekly after hesitating a few moments.

"What do you mean you 'can't'?" Vorth asked. If Land Reapers could have 'sinking heart' feelings, he would have experienced just that.

"Well... the ship did all this on its own," Bim told him. "I still haven't figured out how to make it fight yet. It's just... safe now. Ready to fight." Vorth snarled and began to move towards the Smartie, intent on... Krat knew what, when the unaware creature added: "Oh and it was just in time too, as the Reapal have found us! Good thing we're safe now, eh?"

Vorth stopped in his tracks. "What?!"

"Look!" Bim pointed at the sensor screen. "More blue ones, like us!"

Vorth followed his stubby, pink, pointing finger to the sensor screen, and sure enough, the entire screen seemed to be quickly zooming in on them as three blue triangles rapidly moved towards them from the very edge.

"At least we're safe now!"

Vorth pounded his fist into the wall, less out of aggression and more resignation, and leaned his weight against it. This is not going according to plan, he thought. Even if they knew how to make this ship fight, there were three Reapal ships, and they presumably had a better idea of how to operate them than his soldiers did, or that absurd, big-headed pest. "Bim, either find out how to make this ship fight, or find a place to move us away to."

"Oh, well, sure thing Mis... I mean, Underlord Vorth!" Bim chirped happily, and skipped back over to where he was working originally.

At the edge of the system, three ships of identical configuration to the hijacked cruiser (at least, identical to what it had looked like before the warning shot had been fired) appeared out of nowhere, and streaked rapidly towards the planet that seemed so popular lately, slowing to a crawl as they approached. They maintained a loose formation as they arced through space gracefully, adopting a position behind the cruiser that was now encased in a bubble of black.

"Majesty, the Celestial Cruiser is in full combat orientation," Vansi announced with concern. "I cannot scan their status."

Delphi looked at the monitor with a resigned sigh. This won't be easy, then, she thought. "Vansi, try to scan for weaknesses in their auramesh. Maybe they haven't deployed it properly," she ordered, before looking at the second-in-command, Jullissa. "Jullissa, I need a full probe on all of the alien star vessels in the area immediately."

"Yes, Majesty," was repeated to her from two different sources.

Unsurprisingly, it was Jullissa who replied first, her task being the simpler. A young Reapal, she wore her jet-black hair longer than was typically allowed on a Celestial Cruiser, though there hadn't exactly been time to enforce hair style regulations. As such, it waved around her face in the watery environment, frequently blocking her view as she turned her head, forcing her to swipe it away with a frustrated look on her face. "Majesty, Vestulvias sees four unknown star vessels of varying sizes and configurations," she announced. "All of them have employed energy sheath technologies around themselves, and one of them has primed conventional energy weaponry, but it is apparently damaged from an earlier conflict. They are all equipped for battle, Majesty."

All of the aliens are ready for a fight. The Land Reapers have placed their stolen vessel into combat orientation. None of them are shooting at each other, Delphi thought, analysing the situation in her head. She was an experienced and skilled warrior both on land and underwater, much to the annoyance of her mother, but while she had learned all that she could about the ancient space-faring days of her people, this was all very much beyond her experiences. She knew the theory of course, but applying it was something else. Her mind raced as she tried to recall stories about similar situations... outnumbered by unknown hostile aliens... heck, even wargames their people might have played for training... but none came to mind. What to do?

"They saw us coming," Delphi announced at last. "Vansi, instruct all ships to place themselves into combat orientation at once. Reorientate the taskforce into a wide staggered pincer formation; form weapons for disablement only. Prepare all crew for conflict."

"Yes Majesty," Vansi nodded, and closed her eyes momentarily as she instructed the ship to carry out the orders. As the vessel began to shudder around them, klaxons whining and walls changing colour, she leaned towards her princess and suggested; "Perhaps we can warn them off? Avoid combat with all of them? Maybe they know not the true nature of our foe."

"We have no idea how the Land Reapers have poisoned their minds," Delphi said dismissively. "And while they have been meeting with them, we have no idea how much of our technology they have given them access to. They may know more about our ships than we do!"

"Maybe not, but we have nothing to lose in the attempt, and so much to save," Vansi said, a note of pleading in her hushed voice.

Delphi looked into her brilliant red eyes contemplatively for a moment. Vansi raised a black eyebrow, and for some reason the expression convinced her. "Very well. Transmit now..." she nodded, reluctantly. If this gives them time to attack first, we could be lost, she thought.

"I'll have Vestulvias translate into as many languages as possible, Majesty," Vansi nodded with a smile. "You are transmitting... now."

"To the leader of the unidentified fleet of star vessels, I am Princess Delphi, heir to the Queendom of Reapal and commander of this taskforce, speaking to you from the Celestial Cruiser Vestulvias. The beings to which you have allied yourselves are enemies of the Reapal, and they are in possession of extremely sensitive stolen property. You shall cease and desist any and all aid you are providing them with immediately, dissolve whatever accord you have reached with them, and allow us to take them into custody at once. If you continue to ally yourselves with them, we must assume you intend harm to the Reapal people and our wards, and we shall take all measures necessary to defend them.

Oh, yes, over! Vansi, stop tra..."
Last edited by Sea Reapers on Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:45 am, edited 5 times in total.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:44 am

"Hold Fire! That wasn't directed at us." Captain Nikolai shouted. "This isn't worth bloodshed."

"Captain, the exotic ship has reconfigured. They... They... Are no longer scannable by our on board sensors."

"What?"

"They have erected a physical barrier similar to a nanite cloud."

Nikolai's eyes and circuit-like skin pattern glowed red as the Land Reapers message played.

"Argus, send a subspace message to High Command. Ask them if the Panopticon can see inside."

Moments later the message was returned.

"Negative Captain. The Oculus is not yet optimally aligned."

"Ruth!"

"Sir, multiple ships identical to the first have arrived. They all adopted the configuration of the first. They called in reinforcements!"

Nikolai looked at the display at the front of the Bridge.

"Power down weapons."

"Excuse me Sir?"

"Look at their position. They are not reinforcing the first. Are they scanning us?"

"Affirmative."

"Allow them. Let them our status."

Argus spoke from his omnipresent station, "Sir, incoming message from the lead ship."

"Put it through."

Nikolai's eyes returned to the normal Cyberiad blue. "Respond with the following, Argus."

"Drem yol lok Grah-Zeymahzin: Greetings Your Highness, I am Captain Gregor Nikolai of the Cyberit ship Arbiter. We were unaware of the situation. The 'Land Reapers' are no Allies of ours. I have deactivated my weapons as a sign of good faith. We found this planet desolate and sought to colonize it. We feared these ships sought to prevent us from doing so. We believe your story. Khrosis; that is, We apologize for the confusion. We vow to you our aid. Direct us in what you need."
Last edited by The Cyberiad Council on Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Deltan Imperium
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Deltan Imperium » Mon Jul 24, 2017 10:55 am

"Princess Delphi, from Deltan Imperial Starship [i]Odyssey. Captain Edward Vance, commanding. We have no hostile intentions here, and have not, repeat not, had any sort of contact with your enemies with the exception of being threatened by them. At the moment we are providing support to the IASS Freedom Fighter, which sent a distress signal due to heavy damage. I assure you, I have no intention of interfering with your mission."[/i]

"Vance to Shelby."

The commander tapped her comm badge. "Shelby here, Captain."

"What's your status?"

"We're about to beam over now," she nodded at her team assembled on the transporter pad. "Just waiting while the chief ties into their frequency."

"Be advised, another group of ships has arrived, and they appear to claim rights on our aggressive friend out there. We may need to tow the 'Freedom Fighter' at low warp to evade a fight."

"Understood, we'll be ready."

"Good luck. Vance out."

She stepped up to the pad to join her team, turning back to the transporter chief. "All set?"

"One final adjustment," the chief replied, tapping on his console. "Done. Ready when you are, Commander."

"Energize...."

Eodor
Ambassador

Democratic Socialists

Postby Eodor » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:08 am

IASS Freedom Fighter
Unknown System
Damage Level: Heavy
Nanite Repair Cloud: Offline

Attention Reapal vessels. This is the Irenton Alliance Star Ship Freedom Fighter. You appear to have mis-interpreted our warning shot. We are not allied with this vessel, the beings aboard have claimed they will destroy our entire Interstellar Alliance if we move into this neutral system anymore. If you're fighting them. We'll be with you.

In the Engineering section, the majority of the fires had been put out, with most of the doors being jammed open with bits of debris. The reactor rooms were the least damaged of the areas. However both the reactors and batteries were drained, the orange glow usually present in a Particle Reactor gone and replaced with a small purple light. Splicers and Irenton engineering officers running back and forth attempting to refire the engines.

The Deltan team was beamed directly to the engineering deck. Where Lieutenant Commander Walsh was waiting for them, sat on a piece of debris with a large cut down his uniform's left arm.

"Hope ya brought power with you."
DOWN WITH THE HETMOB

Ruskland-Preuben
Minister

Founded: Mar 03, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby Ruskland-Preuben » Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:34 am

Grand Battle Barge Merciless
Unknown system
IA CTHULHU FHTAGN

Nothing... Then something...

A light red mist began forming at the outermost planet in the uncharted planetary system, staying at a size of a few kilometers wide before spiking in growth speed as it billowed out into about a hundred or so miles in width, lighting up the dark side of the planet like a sun emanating an eerie pink light. Radio frequencies would then be flooded in a static resembling highly erratic whispering with a slight mask of crackling noise, like boots crushing glass. This was a common effect of warp travelling, as it releases odd energies and noises when a portal is opened into it. It stayed that way for about a minute, then something passed through it.

A huge battle barge, about 37 miles in length and 10 miles wide. A battle barge of the Grand class, and this one was the Grand Battle Barge Merciless, a veteran's ship from the earliest days of the Imperium, it had faced a thousand battles, a hundred breaches, and yet here it was, a testament to the hardiness of the Imperial fleet. It loomed ominously over the planet, lumbering forward with its powerful engines. One thing was certain with the Imperium's ships, with size comes great power, and with great power comes great shipwrecks of enemy ships.

All guns on board were primed for firing, awaiting for anyone to make first shot on them...
Last edited by Ruskland-Preuben on Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a Cthulhist and a Proud Member of the Federation of Allies.
Don’t expect a warm welcome in P2TM, but let them warm up to you by posting good stuff.
Formerly the NCSU, add 5000 posts please.

The Cyberiad Council
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The Cyberiad Council » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:41 am

The massive FTL signature triggered alarms across the bridge.

"Report!"

"A massively large ship just exited FTL."

"Sir, the electromagnetic radiation is causing interference with comms and sensors. Adjusting now."

"How large is it?"

"See for yourself Captain. It is in visible range from the starboard view port."

Nikolai walked from his platform and looked out the window. He touched his hand to the glass and holographic controls appeared. Rotating a portion of the GUI caused the window to take on a magnifying state. After looking at the ship for a moment He briskly returned to his station. His face betray almost no emotion in the notable Cyberiad way, but inside he felt what other races would call dread.

"Have they attempted any Hails?"

"Negative Captain. But we have readjusted sensors to compensate for the radiation and they have weapons hot."

"Divert additional power to shields. How quickly can we bring weapons online?"

"Twenty two seconds."

"Stand by. Hail the Reapal ship."

"Princess, please tell me this is a friend of yours."
Last edited by The Cyberiad Council on Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Deltan Imperium
Attaché

Ex-Nation

Postby The Deltan Imperium » Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:47 am

Moments after materializing in the Freedom Fighter's engine room, Commander Shelby looked around to take in the situation. She noted all the debris scattered around, the torn and dirty uniforms worn by the crew. One was sitting on a large section of what looked like a broken piece of deck plating. "Hope ya brought power with you," he said.

She waved up one of her team members, an engineer, who was holding a large glowing module. "One plasma power cell, at your service," she said. "Hopefully we can get your system jump-started and back operational." She waved towards the other four members of her team, each one carrying an equipment bag. "We can also help with repairs to primary systems, if you need it. And our sickbay is standing by if you have any wounded that require treatment."

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents