NATION

PASSWORD

The Proverbial Straw (FT; Closed; Interstellar Terra)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The Rhustarim Hegemony
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

The Proverbial Straw (FT; Closed; Interstellar Terra)

Postby The Rhustarim Hegemony » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:53 am

OOC: This is a (currently) non-canon now canon (gonna blow up all of everything) RP for practice/fun between myself and Interstellar Terra. In the event that the RP becomes canon, we may be willing to include others to account for the effect this might have on allies/rivals/nearby polities TG us if you feel you have cause to get involved. We're less likely to allow in other military actors, but diplomatic shenanigans should be fair game if we both ok it. The events leading up to this have not been RP'd, but there is a rough timeline if you're curious. TG me and I can send it your way.
Ansible Link Established
Beginning Conversation

Out: Eledyne
In: By My Own Merit

>+ Well it’s official. We’re at war with the United Star Commonwealth. +

+ Wait, wait, wait...how do you know this? I haven’t seen it announced anywhere in the Conglom.<+

>+ One of my generation-mates is a Cartagene class, it’s all the Warlects are talking about. +

+ And he’s serious? Not that I’m doubting you here, Elly. Just...wow. War. <+

+> I know. I’ve never been at war. Hasn’t been one since the Dominion Debacle, and that was before I was built. I knew negotiations were going poorly, I just didn’t think they were going that poorly. I just don’t understand why the Commonwealth wouldn’t just share the bloody system. We got there first.+

+ Did we? <+

>+ I always thought so. I remember when their ‘blockades’ started, as if you can properly blockade any of our ships. Rumour is some jumpy ship’s captain fired on a ship running the blockade. Dead Sintellect, dead passengers. The proverbial straw. +

+ That’s a proverb? Never heard it. +

>+ You should pay more attention to outside cultures. +

+ But yeah, it’s all ridiculous. Space is huge, why couldn’t they have gone somewhere else? Why couldn’t we? <+

>+ Like some big conspiracy, isn’t it? Someone, or pair of someone’s, wanted a war for a bit of fun and came up with the most contrived series of coincidences possible to make it happen. +

+ Now you’re just being dumb. I’ve gotta go, the others in my Orbital will want to know about this. The squishies will start panicking once news gets out. Stay safe, Elly. <+

>+ You too, Merit. Scary times. +

Conversation Time: 27μs. Conversation Terminated.
Ansible Link Terminated.

Arin Mors
Aerys System

Veknan collapsed into his seat, augmetic implants glowing as he started disconnecting from the numerous networks he had been forced to be part of throughout the day. Aeon, to her credit, had already provided a sturdy drink and reading material to help the aged rhustarim relax.

“Damned senators,” he announced to the empty room. He’d been thankful when Incursus had given him an excuse to leave the meeting. The Sintellects of the Assembly were much more capable of handling the legion of digital voices that the Senate consisted of, and Veus would do a better job of calming the senators than Veknan could have. Ultimately all their riotous disagreements and raucous congratulations meant nothing. Decisions of this kind were decided by the Assembly and the Assembly alone, informing the senators had simply been a politeness. More than a few of the Hegemony’s communities had been outraged that things had even been allowed to get this far, while the larger percentage were willing to admit this had largely been outside the Hegemon’s control. In a rare happening within the Senate’s halls, the delegates from both the Malisette and the Dominion had agreed on some form of retaliation. Although for differing reasons, Veknan had been legitimately surprised they’d openly supported one another at all.

Already, Incursus had reported, the Conglomeration had convened and the Hegemony’s Sintellects had unanimously agreed to be wary when travelling outside of the core systems. Undoubtedly this would make the citizens who relied on those Sintellects for travel more than a little irritated, Veknan was thankful the normally whimsical synthetics were taking the matter seriously. It had been a long time since one of their kind had actually died in any kind of permanent capacity after all. Ravia had been decidedly absent-minded during their most recent meeting of the Assembly, something Veknan had thought impossible. Veus’ had been uncharacteristically irate for the duration of their discussions and had to be reminded, repeatedly, that he had other matters to tend to than ‘justice’. Thankfully Aeon had remained calm and collected and as far as Veknan could tell Incursus had the majority of matters under control. Trusting in the two high level Sintellects had been, Veknan reasoned, the best course of action. Since this whole mess had begun several weeks ago, he had been going from one network connection to another to calm the organic representatives of the Hegemony. Foreign affairs, certainly antagonistic issues, had never been his forte.

Veknan poured himself a drink and sighed, refusing to use his implants to suppress the growing uncertainty in his chest. Or, for that matter, the headache that had taken root in the back of his skull. He would weather both as thoroughly as he could, the consequences of his actions. The book remained untouched.

“My Lord Hegemon?”

The voice had no easily defined source, coming from every direction all at once. Veknan nursed his drink, taking the smallest sip possible as he waved on of his lower limbs. A flicker of light and the crackle of static heralded the arrival of Aeon’s avatar. Slender, long haired, and just barely feminine the Sintellect’s chosen appearance reminded Veknan of his daughter. Only the incredibly formal work attire and the complete lack of vents ruined the image.

“I have a report, Lukas. If you’d like to hear it,” the hologram said as it ambled its way into a chair next to the Hegemon. “I imagine you’ve had enough of implant connections for the day, though I can deliver it through a frag if you would prefer.”

“No, no. I’ve had quite enough of them for the next orbit or two. What’s the decision?” Veknan leaned the lower pair of his arms on his knees, using his upper arms to cradle his glass and lift the drink through a knot of tentacles to his mouth.

“Incursus has ordered Without Restraint into the system proper to deliver an ultimatum. Given the Commonwealth’s track record, we don’t expect them to comply.” Aeon clicked her tongue against her teeth to end her sentence. “The Wargroup is to try and evacuate citizens from our colony through displacement.”

“And the Sintellect? Simulacra, was it?”

“Yes,” whispered Aeon. She clicked her tongue again. “Two Novasents have volunteered to get Simulacra’s core and organoform charges out. They’re non-military, but they’re the best option Incursus could draft up on short notice. We have a carrier to get them in and out inside its resonic bubble. Otherwise, with civilian engines, they would get there far too late to be of any help. As it is, they’re a few hours out as it stands.”

Veknan set his glass down on the table and pulled his tendrils in close to his face. Across his temples, circuitry flared. “Is Without Restraint going to be supported, in the event the Commonwealth turns fully hostile?”

“Incursus’ primary goal is assessment. Even the evacuation is secondary until a proper War Cell can be mobilised. We simply don’t know if we have the manpower to secure the system for a proper evacuation.” Aeon smiled, a weak and half hearted expression as she eyed the Hegemon’s glass.

“Wishing your solid state was here, Aeon?”

“I don’t typically take drinks, my Lord Hegemon. But right now I can see the appeal. Having to converse with Incursus is strenuous. He’s blanked himself, but I can tell he’d be furious if he hadn’t. He’s trying to make the best of a bad situation, we weren’t expecting things to get so bad so quickly. The closest timeframe for a Cell and a proper evacuation is close to a full cycle.”

“In organic, terms, Aeon?”

“A day or so, Lord Hegemon.”

Veknan sighed and returned to his drink. It was his own hesitancy that left no less than four Sintellects and a thousand rhustarim unattended by any kind of support in a system hundreds of light years away. He looked to Aeon and nodded, “Thank you for the report, Aeon. Please keep me informed.”

For her part, the Sintellect simply gave the Hegemon a sad smile and started to fade away. Her voice once again rang out across the room as the hologram disintegrated, “Of course, Lukas. Please give your daughter and her companion my regards.”

Oh, thought Veknan. I had not thought about that.

He was already refilling his glass for a second drink by the time he even considered sending a message to his daughter.

System Designation - EX01097r
There was little in the way of ceremony or extravagance when the Warlect collective Without Restraint arrived into the system. A small burst of exotic particles as the trio of ships castoff their collected radiation and debris from supralight travel, before they each rapidly made their way coreward towards the system’s star and the blossoming dyson swarm in close orbit. They kept a relatively tight formation as they did so, an evenly measured triangle with sides of just over a light second. They made sure to stay the far side of the star from any Commonwealth presence, using the stellar mass to hide their presence until they could properly act on the situation at hand.

>+ Dyson Sintellect, this is Without Restraint. Wargroup designation, third generation, second level. Constituent parts identify as Maharbaal, Lowkey, and Adamantly Engaged. Please provide us with a mind release. [MR REQUEST ATTACHED] +

+ Oh thank you, thank you, thank you. I was...I was getting a bit worried I’d been forgotten about. [MIND RELEASED]<+

+> Not at all. Confirm you identify as Simulacra.+

+ Yes, yes. That’s me. What’s the plan? <+

The three warships slowed their approach towards the dyson swarm’s seeder platform. Tightbeam communications passed between the three ships and the installation, unseen beams of conversation each lasting less than a millisecond. Two of Without Restraint’s constituent ships started to pull away, moving slowly around either side of the sun while the third part remained to calm the panicking Sintellect.

For its own part, Simulacra was desperately monitoring the organics it had kept in its charge. More than a few of them were getting quite exasperated at being kept in physical stasis while the Sintellect regathered whatever drones and machinery it could back into the main body of itself. Somewhere far away, on the other side of the star, several of its charges were left stranded - cut off from Simulacra by the Commonwealth ships that had so callously murdered the only other Sintellect in the system. Simulacra, and the late-Sintellect Affidea, were industrial grade constructs. Simulacra was willing to bet the only reason it was still alive was because of its proximity to the star, and the much stronger defensive Fields it had been afforded.

It was very much afraid of what would happen if the aliens decided to try their luck anyway.

>+ Simulacra, do you know the nature of the alien occupation?+

+No, not a thing. I was this side of the star when...when it happened. Affidea was keeping me updated but she didn’t want to spook them by trying to spy on them. As...as much good as it did her. And the rhustarim she had on board.+<

>+ You confirm the presence of rhustarim in Affidea’s charge? +

Simulacra would have winced if it had been afforded a face. They had not been Affidea’s responsibility, they had been Simulacra’s. And it had failed them spectacularly.

>+ Again, do you confirm the-+

+ Yes. I tried to get mind frags off them but I’m a glorified solar panel. I couldn’t reach that far and I was staying on this side of the star. They’re perma-dead because of it. Oh stars above, I’m a coward. <+

>+ You are no such thing. Hegemonic vessels are en route to assist in evacuation, please prepare your passengers for emergency evacuation. Prioritise usage of shuttles unless directed otherwise. Without Restraint is to examine the nature of the occupation and, if possible, displace persons on board for evacuation. Maintain an ansible connection with us. Tightbeam will not bend around the star.+

Simulacra watched, dismayed, as the last portion of Without Restraint pulled away at a speed rapidly approaching c-fractional. Only when it had pulled in tighter to the star, completing the triangle formation and using the corona to obscure itself, did Simulacra turn inwards to its hallways and installations. There were a lot of frightened and angry people it needed to take control of.

What a mess.

One by one, all across the two dozen stations that made up Simulacra’s body, people started waking from their stasis. Simulacra began the task of communing with all of them, through Stems and NeuroNets and in person through drones and avatars when necessary. The irritation of having been kept in stasis quickly faded into a palpable fear, and Simulacra took charge of its own emotions to shut down its own fear. It had people to take care of, and it certainly did not need the distraction. Even as it started ushering people towards what shuttles were available, it was planning the immolation of the dyson swarm. Plotting trajectories to plunge all but the core satellite into the star’s mass, not without a sense of disappointment at having its work dismantled before it could even have really begun.

Without Restraint Internal Conclave
Connection Health: Optimal.
Physical Health: Optimal

Adamantly Engaged> I hate having to be so formal when talking as the whole.
Lowkey> We all do. So what’s the plan? Do we have a plan?
AE> So far the aliens haven’t shown a total disregard for organic life, so we don't need to worry about them opening up on the station or planetside rhustarim when we show ourselves.
Maharbaal> Yes, but what about us. We are not organic.
AE> I’d noticed. We carry on our assigned mission. ROE should probably be the standard ‘don’t shoot unless shot’.
Lowkey> We have no idea what they’re capable of yet. If they shoot first we might not get a chance to shoot next.
Maharbaal> Adamantly’s right. Affidea’s murder could well have been a mistake, and I don’t want to show our hand if we don’t have to. I say we blitz them with a scan and deliver Incursus’ message. Let them know they’ve screwed up.
AE> Anything they do after that we have full rights to deal with. All agreed?
Lowkey> Agreed. I’m spooling up some CAM just in case.
Maharbaal> Pfft. You’re way behind, I’ve got a bunch set to go already.

The three ships all exploded out of the star’s glow at the same time, a full five light seconds between each of them in their signature triangle formation. Strands of stellar matter trailed in their wake, dragged free of the star by their drive fields, only breaking loose hundreds of thousands of kilometres from the sun’s surface. The trio glimmered as their Fields shook free the last of the plasma and they settled into a straight line path along the system’s elliptical, racing towards the rhustarim station and the planet it orbited at fully one tenth the speed of light, and by extension the Commonwealth blockade. As they closed to a single light minute of their target two of Without Restraint’s parts, Lowkey and Adamantly Engaged, that were the outer tips of the formation immediately blasted the system with a range of exotic particles. The strength of their scanners would have sheared the paint off an unshielded ship at a thousand kilometres, and undoubtedly drew attention to the warships. But their fury would allow the ships to know as much detail about the Commonwealth presence as possible. Manipulators, those powerful fields used to manipulated all manner of particles and electronic systems, reached out across space to stroke the alien craft and probe them for radiation, EM and magnetic emissions. As they did this, Maharbaal sent a wideband communication to everything in his forward arc, Commonwealth and Hegemonic alike.

Commonwealth vessels. This is Hegemonic Wargroup Collective, Without Restraint. Third Generation. Second level. In response to the murder of one (1) Sintellect intelligence of the second level, and forty-three (43) hegemonic organoform citizens, we have been authorised to breach your quarantine by any and all means necessary.

Your previous actions constitute an act of open aggression towards the Hegemony. As such this Wargroup Collective has been deployed. This is not a declaration of war. It is a demand. You will relinquish your blockade and vacate the system immediately until such a time that hegemonic assets and citizens have been removed. You have one (1) Galstandard minute to signify your compliance.

Pulling the space equivalent of a hard brake, the warships turned to begin a wide orbit of the planet. Constant twistings of light betrayed the movements of their drive fields as they turned and random walked across the orbit, maintaining their distance of a single light minute.
Last edited by The Rhustarim Hegemony on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rhustarim Hegemony|State of the Galaxy
The only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

Intersteller Terra
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 16, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Intersteller Terra » Mon Apr 03, 2017 2:47 pm

System-P78362-x3672
Colony: Killingham, Captain Thomas Tanner, In Orbit

Thomas listened to the wide band message the Rhustarim Hegemony vessel was broadcasting, he was a calming marker in an other broiling sea of activity. The Hegemony had come back obviously to finish the job it had already started. Previously they had sent a ship to activate a nano weapon designed to destroy the colony of Killingham and its 300 inhabitants. At the time he had had to think on his feet and take action, he had ordered the destruction of the vessel that had attacked the planet.

Since then he had been holding position in orbit of the planet ensuring that the Hegemony did not come back to try and finish the job. He had kept his finger on the pulse since then a few weeks had passed with negotiations going on between both the Commonwealth and the Hegemony. It seemed however that the talks had reached an impass and that this was the Hegemonies response. Three vessels that had now taken up a high orbit of the colony. Since that time he had been reinforced. Along with his own Morrigan Class Cruiser, another Morrigan Class, Harpy Class Missile Cruiser and 3 Pelion Class Frigates had arrived to ensure the safety of the colony. No one really was quite sure what the Hegemony was capable of so no one seemed to be willing to take any chances.

6 vessels outwardly would be massive over kill just to protect a colony of 300 souls, but with the Hegemony seemingly capable of throwing mega structures around as if they were prefab houses no one wanted chance how Commonwealth vessels would shape up one on one with theirs.

"Tango vessels appear to be throwing up EWAR and scanning us Captain," One of his junior command staff spoke through their neural connection.

"Order the fleet to throw up our own lets not let them get to much of a good look at us,"

"Captain NAVQ Agrees with your assessment but denies authorization to freely engage the enemy targets at the moment, they must fire upon us first" Another of his command staff called out through the command link.

That put him at a little disadvantage, he was already stuck between a rock and a hard place so not being able to break the blockade that was forming was only making the situation a little worse. He felt at the back of his mind various other consciousnesses connecting to his neural link through the quantum communications of his ship. A marvel of technology that allowed people to second guess him in real time from any point in the known universe. Command and Control protocols did dictate that any out of AO consciousness's could not interfere during a combat situation, so at least he didn't have any other voices in the back of his mind.

"Advise NAVQ on the situation and the ultimatum." Thomas commanded as he monitored the three Hegemon vessels circled his fleet like vultures.

"Sir NAVQ advises that we tell them that the Commonwealth does not respond to threats."

Thomas nodded in response, "very well open a return channel and prepare for incoming fire". He waited for the confirmation that the channel had been opened before speaking out loud. "Attention Hegemony Vessels, you have entered this system with military vessels in an aggressive manner. The Commonwealth does not respond to threats, Leave this system immediately."

Aerys System
Mr Dannar Price, Emergency Liaison for The Hegemony

He had been on the world for only a few weeks, ever since things started to heat up in the Oclies sector. He had been sent to head up an effort to defuse the situation and make sure that things never got to where they were right now. Right now he was sat in his shuttle car holding a disposable dataslate reading the declaration of Limited War against The Hegemony. He sat there watching skyline go past wondering just how it had gotten to this point.

He had known from the first week in the Aerys System that this situation was only going one way, what shocked him the most was that it wasnt the aliens that were the unreasonable ones. In many respects they were like the Commonwealth they held their civil liberties as sacred and even shared much of the same economic principles. For all intensive purposes the Hegemony and the Commonwealth should have been fostering close economic ties, at least on paper. Instead there was going to be war all because the Hawks in the Commonwealth did not want to appear weak in their own backyard.

Daniel lamented on the whole situation until the sky car touched down the door sliding open to let him out. He took one more look at the dataslate took a deep breath and stepped outside. It didn't take long to reach his destination, he had been there a few times already attending meetings with top officials on both sides of the argument trying to figure out a way out of the mess that had been created. Only this time the security was much tighter Guards flanked him into the building and two the chambers he had been so many times before. Taking their places at either side of the door, he stood there looking at them really studying them trying desperately to find any means of getting out of handing the the declaration of war over to the Hegemony.

Eventually the doors opened from the inside revealing the inside of the chamber. Gingerly he stepped in feeling the eyes of the Hegemon and no doubt all of the synthetic intelligences and other connected minds all fall on him. He wasnt alone himself technically many Commonwealth officials where back seating him connecting into his neural wetware seeing things through his own eyes. He pushed their presence further back and focused on not stumbling over his own feet. He reached the desk of the Hegemon himself a person he had met with a couple of times, and found to be a rather pleasant alien if a little unappealing to look at.

He stooped in front of him and paused for a moment looking at the dataslate one last time. "Im sorry it has come to this, I really am." Daniel spoke softly doing everything in his power to stop himself from shaking. He placed the declaration of war on the Hegemons desk, not exactly knowing what to do next.

Thompson Orbital Ring
Section 172 Military Sector 5 Fort Gargula Civilian Quarter

Thompson's Orbital ring was an engineering marvel, both awe inspiring and dread inducing at the same time, Trillions of tonnes of orbital habitats, factories, hydroponics, shipyards and much more that formed a solid ring around the Capital world of the Commonwealth. At its thickest point the ring was over 100kms in width and over 150km in height. With a population of 5 billion all of its own it was a world all of its own, Section 172 was a military sector home to 12 slipways dedicated to building Morrigan class Cruisers and the new Warrior class battlecruisers. Section 172 was also home to the 10th Marine Regiment and the civilians that serviced the shipyards and marines that were based their.

The bar was bouncing, but then again it usually was at this time of the evening. It was the weekend and both military personnel and the civilian quarter of Fort Gargula were coming out to blow off steam and celebrate the ending of another week. Well most of them anyway. Benni smiled at the barman as he placed another glass of scotch in front of him on the bar. He had been here for about 3 hours already when the bar first opened getting his seat. He liked to get in early when the place was still quite and the music was low it gave him time to think and reflect before the regulars came in and got rowdy.

"Hey... Hey Gerard!"

The owner of the voice suddenly appeared at the bar. "Thats lt. Gerard to you Sergeant Plo" Gerard replied allowing the smirk to cross his face. Plo smiled as well "That may be so ...LT but i could still kick your arse from here to Mesca City."

The two laughed for a moment before Gerard motioned for his Company Sergeant to take a seat next to him ordering another round of drinks. It took only a few seconds for a 2nd glass to be produced and the bottle of whiskey placed in front of them.

"I think he likes you Plo" Gerard teased as the barman behind the counter gave Plo a coy little smile. "Anyway what do you think of the newbies? Think they will cut it being a Commonwealth Marine?"

"Time will tell I guess, sims and combat training can only tell you so much." Plo replied as he raised his glass to the bartender then downing the liquid in one go. Gerard was about to fill the whiskey glasses up again when an all to familiar feeling washed over him. TASKER was the Regimental AI, Him along with smaller more limited copies of himself kept the 10th Commonwealth Marine Regiment running. It was very rare that TASKER would interrupt anyone during their off hours it would usually be delegated and deferred to one of the platoon level copies when it was appropriate, so when it did it meant something was going down.

Lieutenant Gerard Colonel Hanson requires all his staff present for an immediate briefing. All personnel are being recalled from leave. With the announcement TASKER left Gerards wetware neural network almost immediately

"Well shit i was just starting to unwind" Plo cursed as he quickly poured himself another glass of whiskey and downed it.

Gerard did the same wincing as the alcohol burned down his throat. "Well Sergeant best get back to barracks and get the everything squared away whilst I go find out what old the old jackhammer wants."

Three hours later Gerard was stood in a room with several other men and women, some where officers like him Company commanders and other command staff. However most of the room was taken up by NCO's the men and women that kept the new recruits from dying and represented some of the best soldiers the Commonwealth had to offer. Ahead of the them Colonel "Jackhammer" Hanson stood with his second in command Captain Yos. Colonel Hansen was middle aged and grizzled, time had not been kind to him and neither had the operations he had been on. Yos was different however clean shaven and clean cut he looked like someone fresh out of the recruitment holos he also tended to walk around with a stick up his arse. Yos wasn't as bad as he made himself out to be he lived and breathed the Marine Corps he just had a different way of showing it than some of the others.

"Well Ladies and Gentlemen is seems the crabs have seen fit to crawl out of the primordial soup grow arms and legs and start building space stations in our territory." Hanson began taking the usual crass demeanor many in the Regiment loved him for. As of 3 hours ago Standard Commonwealth Time the Boffins that claim to run this nation of ours issued a declaration of war in retaliation for the crabs sending warships into Commonwealth space and threatening hostile actions.

Now im sure all of you have had your eye on whats been happening in the Pelios Cluster so i wont waste time filling in those gaps so if you haven't tough shit look it up in your downtime. With the Declaration now active the Navy has been prepping to rush assets into Pelios cluster little birdies tell me the 12th Naval Task force as well as elements of the 2nd and 7th Fleets will be deployed to the area."

A murmur went up around the room, The Navy hadnt deployed in such numbers for several years. That meant either two things. The Commonwealth was prepping for a full scale invasion of Hegemony space or they were looking to drown the Rhusts in ships. Gerard had studied the declaration document, as per usual the Government had released it to the public domain for all to read. It hadn't been a declaration of total war but a limited one meaning that certain factions within the Commonwealth government were still hoping to find some sort of peaceful comprise to the whole situation. That made the latter option the most likely, The Navy wanted to get the cluster of stars around the colony closed off to Hegemony making it easier for them to move into the contested system with impunity.

"Now the 52nd Marine Division is being mobilised in addition to the Navies fleets, we will be making land fall at first available opportunity to dig in and set up fortifications around our colony and move on any Rhust structures that are in the system. Command wants us to capture any Rhust technology we can get our hands on. These crabs seem to be able to throw up Mega structures faster than anyone else we know and that poses a threat to the whole of the Commonwealth so our engineers want something to study.

Lieutenant Gerard, C Company will be taking point on this operation, TASKER will give you your orders and assignments. For the rest of you TASKER will be handing out your Assignments soon... Get your men ready people time to show the Crabs what the Commonwealth Marine Corps can do!"

The Rhustarim Hegemony
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 20, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Rhustarim Hegemony » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:46 am

Conflict Zone
Maharbaal>Not an entirely unexpected response. I'm somewhat relieved we're not shooting at each other.
AE>They still are, effectively, holding a few hundred of our people hostage. And they did, by all rights, fire the first shot of this debacle.
Maharbaal>A fact they are willfully ignoring.
Lowkey>I have a plan.

The trio of ships continued their long range orbit of the planet, occasionally letting out another burst of exotic particles to keep track of the opposing ships and their movements. The distance between the three parts closed to a few hundred metres, their Fields overlapping to display a kaleidoscope of broken outlines and drive signatures.

AE>Enlighten us.
Lowkey>It is a bad plan. But we don't have many options with the engagement rules handed down to us.
Maharbaal>We just need to stall until the carrier is here to evacuate Simulacra.
Lowkey>And what if they bring in more ships. We don't know if they can detect castoffs, but I think it's safe to assume they have some form of FTL sensors. Which means they can, and if so they'll know the carrier is coming in before it gets here. More ships make evacuation of the colony more difficult.

A pause in the combined network of Without Restraint, before the trio pulled out of the colony's orbit and back towards the system's star, streaking away at half the speed of light.

Maharbaal>So what's the plan? We have eighty minutes to carrier arrival.
Lowkey>Well it seems they took offence to our scanning, I'm sure you've noticed the EWAR package they've unloaded on us?
AE>I imagine this is what a cold feels like, yes.
Lowkey>We still have exotics, and if we get close enough our Manips should break through it. My concern is how it will effect our Displacement. To get the colonists out, we'll have to enter the atmosphere to make sure we don't splice them. You two, fire up your own EWARS and cover me. I'll wrap the sun's plasma around my fields to try and cover my drive fields. Whole hog it in, Displace whomever I can, then get out.
Maharbaal>You're right. This is a bad plan.

The vessels arced in a tight circle around the star at the system's centre, leaving swirling contrails of plasma in their wake as they moved.They continued their back and forth for a few seconds, arguing internally over the sheer audacity and absurdity of Lowkey's plan. Eventually, Lowkey spun on its axis to bring their orbit to a stop and pointed itself back towards the colony. Inwardly, Lowkey started shifting about its stores of CAM and dumping excess material. Over the course of one minute, forty seconds, Lowkey had altered itself to be almost nothing but sensors and Fields and empty space.

Lowkey>I'm all ears if either of you have a different plan.
Maharbaal>We could ask first.
AE>They already know we have colonists, they already know we want to evacuate them. They have still hit us with EWAR and refused us passage into the planet's orbit. But by all means, give them advance warning of our already excessively dangerous plan.

A pause. A vote. The two remaining vessels of Without Restraint pulled around to flank Lowkey, orienting themselves to prepare for a run on the planet housing the trapped rhustarim.

Lowkey>Shoot anything that shoots me. I only have kinetics and point defence left. Gimme time to wrap some cosy plasma around me.

Hidden from the Commonwealth vessels by the star, Lowkey started spinning in place, grabbing the star's coronal plasma with its Fields and starting to coil the white hot material around itself. The blanket would only last a few seconds before being repelled by the Fields once Lowkey started moving, but at full acceleration Lowkey hoped it would by at least half the distance to the colony of sensor shielding. With any luck the commonwealth forces wouldn't even bother shooting and it would be in and out with a handful of colonists before they knew what was happening. A warship can dream.

AE>You look comfy. And pretty.
Lowkey>Get stuffed you dink.

And so the slow build up of tension was ruthlessly destroyed.

Aerys System
Veknan's avatar sighed. In his personal quarters in the centre of the spire, only a few hundred metres away, Veknan floated in in the sensory chamber, allowing the information of a dozen such avatars to flow through and about him as after images in the liquid and in his mind.
If he could have moved his own body, it might have actively recoiled or at least hissed. His avatar instead only clasped its upper limbs and crossed its lower arms beneath the desk. Images flashed across the surface of his eyes, and the roar of a hundred watching senators (not to mention millions of various Intellects) sounded through the avatar's mind and, by proxy, the true mind of the organic Veknan.

Veknan leaned on his desk and looked up at Daniel. With a thought, a chair built itself out of Fields and glowed in front of Veknan's desk, and the Hegemon pointed, inviting the human to take a seat.

"I wish I could say this was entirely unexpected, Mister Price. A shame your government thinks this a necessity. Can I ask you to run me through what qualifies as 'Limited Warfare' from your people's perspective. I am not a Commonwealth citizen, I'd like your perspective on the matter."

The ring of tentacles about Veknan's mouth started to coil up in the male form of a smile. With any luck, Price would know that by now. The lack of visible lips had always been a problem in their previous discussions.

"I am not certain we could have handled this differently, Mister Price. You have several of our people, effectively, as hostages. Several more are dead by the actions of one of your own citizens. It would be hypocrisy of the highest order if we asked you to send the captain at fault to us to be tried, knowing we would never have done the same. What else was available to us, Mister Price, to get my people back?"

Veknan's clawed talons unclasped on the table top and began to drum against the surface.

"I feel our hand was forced. Can you say the same?"

Within the sensory tank, Veknan - the true Veknan - let a sliver of his self contact Aeon in amongst all the myriad Avatars he was inhabiting and virtual conversations he was privy to.

Please assemble the Assembly, Aeon. And tell Incursus he has my permission to prepare a second War Cell and alert the Constituent Fleets to make defensive preparations.

Aeon's words came back to him as symbols and expressions in the back of his mind, rather than as something spoken. Veknan felt a fear that wasn't his own.

War, then?

Yes, my old friend. War. For now.

Hegemonic Space
The moment Daniel Price had laid the message in front of the Hegemon, the entirety of the Conglomeration knew that the Hegemony was now formally at war with the Commonwealth. All across Hegemonic space, Warlects were making preparations. The few hundred that acted as passenger vessels for those who wanted the 'thrill' of playing soldiers made for the nearest friendly polity in Hegemonic space and their passengers found themselves unceremoniously dumped from the ship's bowels. Many, not prepared for such rapid Displacement, heaved violently. It made for quite the spectacle, and whispers through the population turned to outright panicked conversations.

The Sintellects not related to the Military Directory did their best to control the flow of information. The Hegemony thrived on open information among its population, but that didn't mean it had to be known right away. Over the course of minutes rumours of the Dominion starting trouble again spread among the population that paid attention to such matters. War buffs reasoned that not every Warlect with a shipbound form would have responded just for the Dominion, and so over the next hour the rumour would morph into a nebulous 'larger' threat. Soon, through the free flow of information the truth will out and the population found itself aghast.

The impossible had happened. The Hegemony, within the first decade of opening itself to the galaxy at large, was at war with another star state. Most of the people who heard the news reacted as one would expect, heading to the extranets and internets of the nation to get what information they could. 'How does our military compare to theirs?" 'How many warships do we have?' 'Are they recruiting organoform soldiers?' The more paranoid started calling for permanent patrols of Malisette and Hegemonic vessels through Dominion and Zephyr space. Zephyr for the general recklessness of the fledgling republic, and Dominion space because obviously they'd use this chance to strike with that hidden fleet they so obviously had.

Behind the veil of rumours and general panic and concern, the Military Directory was making preparations. The first War Cell, called together the moment the situation had started to heat up, hastened its preparations - a half dozen warships of the Superior classification and a dozen of the Conflict level co-ordinating equipment and battle plans, upgrading what needed upgrading and altering internal configurations to better work together. The lack of what other states might call 'Capital Ships' had been a glaring flaw among the Directory for a long time, until now they had never been needed. A single ship type, with barely fifteen all across Hegemonic Space, was all that could be qualified as more than a police or picket cruiser, and the first War Cell was making the best of this.

The second War Cell was still in the theoretical stages, as Warlects across the Conglomeration held debates about who would join it and what was needed. Should they wait until Incursus knew if offensive battle plans were needed, or should they assume they were a defensive War Cell?Incursus left such debates and planning to the Sintellects below it in the chain of command, instead drawing up new designs and schematics for warship classes. It was assumed that the Hegemony could easily handle any defensive war they were forced to fight, but a lack of capital and carrier ships lessened their ability to project what (not inconsiderable) force they did wield. If the war had to be taken to Commonwealth space - as unlikely as that was - Incursus wanted to be prepared.

Once again, the Sintellect cursed the general apathy and surety the population held with regards to the hegemony's military prowess. Every attempt to bring the organisation of their forces more in line with what Incursus thought was needed was countered. "We can defend ourselves," the assembly had always said. "We won't be declaring war." Now war had been declared on them, and while Incursus was sure they were prepared, it was the barest minimum he was content with. Two War Cells? Enough to win an objective. Perhaps a single war, but the Commonwealth controlled more space, had more widespread industrial capacity, and had (as far as he could tell) less complex vessels. For every one ship the Hegemony could build, the Commonwealth could likely build three or four through sheer weight of shipyards, and that was assuming their shipyards were of similar quality to the Hegemonic. If they were better.... Either way, a protracted war would stalemate at best. Their losses would be easier to bear, and likely quicker to replace by every estimate - and even if they were less capable one-to-one with Hegemonic ships, as Incursus was constantly told (but was unsure of himself) quantity was a quality all of its own. The Commonwealth was larger, less naive, and more prepared for a war.

And that, to Incursus, was unacceptable.
Last edited by The Rhustarim Hegemony on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Rhustarim Hegemony|State of the Galaxy
The only reason to be alive is to enjoy it.

Return to International Incidents