NATION

PASSWORD

From Nematsu With Love [Kylaris/Spy]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Cresadine
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

From Nematsu With Love [Kylaris/Spy]

Postby Cresadine » Tue Oct 25, 2016 9:06 pm

From Nematsu With Love

A KYLARIS ROLEPLAY;
Murder;
Intrigue;
Revolutionary Activities;
Spy kitsch;
ALL IN ONE.

Cast
Nematsu
Songguo
And others

Imperial Capitol of Teien - 帝都庭園 - Teito Teien
State of Nematsu - ぬまつ国 - Nematsu-koku
Okurimono District
October the 25th, 2016

Ryota turns the corner with haste - he doesn't want to keep the others waiting. Nor does he wish to run into one of the Department of Harmony officers who patrol this area. He has learned that if you are young-enough looking and walk with a fast pace that they will just assume you are a student late to class, so they will not disturb you. He is only partially being deceptive, he is late and he had just left his technical institute - the kami will forgive him for this indiscretion.

Ryota is from the Riponki Valley, and had moved to the city to study - suprisingly - farming. His father had farmed during the disastrous Collectivizations. His grandfather saw the Revolution and the Great War, so much societal change in Nematsu had happened during his life. Ryota's great-grandfather had known the waning days of the last doomed Shogunate, the Baku. He saw the last Shogun, a sad and frail man, beheaded by the Lord High Executioner. That very same day he was in Teien to watch the Tsuji Emperor proclaim his reclamation of power. In reality power fell from one feudal lord to another, albeit dressed up in the pretensions of democracy and imperial power. His family had farmed for a long time, this is certain.

The precocious young Ryota had won a scholarship to study at the best agricultural technical institute in Nematsu, located in the heavenly capitol of Teien. The scholarship didn't cover all expenses, so he scraped together enough savings so that by twenty-eight he could attend the institute.

It was there he became disillusioned.

Okurimono means "gift" in Nematsugo. Supposedly, the district was named this by a snarky princeling - who declared that the reason all the poorest lived in said district was "because it is our gift to them, our gift to allow them to live in our city." All the poorest of the poor lived here, prostitutes, drug dealers, poor students like Ryota. The officials of the government came here to indulge in their vices, now matter how...obscure. It is the hub of the black market. And the government tolerated it - the tolerated the name, which was so derogatory. The communist government made no move to improve the area or even rename it. Everywhere there is misery.

Police brutality is regular. Welfare is minimal and wages poor. The food is expensive because the crops failed, most products are cheap and break easily. No one makes money, since all means of producing money are under state control - to run a fruit stand requires going to seven different bureaucracies for appropriate permits. Nothing is clean. Yet atop Palace Hill the Shikken, the tycoons who profited from this filth, complacent capitalists masquerading as communists and imperial puppets participate in the decadence of monarchy and obscene wealth. It was like this everywhere, the wealthy grew wealthy as they always had.

Ryota turns the corner once more, then takes a sharp turn down a dingy and trash-littered alley and climbs up a fire escape. He stands the backdoor of the apartment and knocks thrice, in the arranged pattern. He is greeted by a slender youth dressed in the scrubs of a medical. He is lead through the cramped and yet sparsely furnished apartment to a conclave of people sitting in a living room, talking in hushed tones. He has most of them before, so go to the institute with him - others he knows from student functions and some he met at this secret meetings.

"Greetings Ryota-kun," says the leader of the group, the one in scrubs, Taira Yoshi.

Ryota nods to Yoshi out of respect, "greetings Yoshi-senpai." Yoshi returns to his previous conversation and Ryota takes a seat on the floor.

"As I was saying I have a family friend who used to be involved in underground political activity, I will set up a meeting with them to see if we can get support for our cause," the gathering nodded in agreement. That night they stay for many hours in the cramped apartement, talking theory mostly - they don't know it, but this conversation in this cramped room filled to the brim with eighteen people, will have an effect on the whole country.
Last edited by Cresadine on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:54 pm, edited 6 times in total.
He forbead þa heortas swylce eac þa baras, swa swiðe he lufode þa headeor swilce he wære heora fæder

Elepis
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Elepis » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:26 am

tag, will post at some point
"Krugmar - Today at 10:00 PM
Not sure that'll work on Elepis considering he dislikes (from what I've observed):
A: Nationalism
B: Religion being taken seriously
C: The Irish"

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 01, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:00 pm

Chapter One: The Kurodas

Teien, Nematsu
Kiji District

"You'll never guess who sent me a Tor message," the woman who had known herself as Hiroko for the better part of the last three decades said as she set down two saucers of tea on the table. She was of middling height, with nut-brown skin that suggested a trace of northern or foreign heritage or perhaps simply a love of the outdoors, a strikingly cut face with high cheekbones and a strong nose, and hair that was more or less uniformly in a slow transition from black to gray and was currently around the color of old, well-cleaned iron. Her hazel irises seemed to constrict and mask the hint of passion that could be seen glimmering deep within her pupil, and she moved deliberately and cautiously, with the air of someone who knows they must restrain themselves to avoid alarming or exciting others. Outside, perched in the maple tree in the back yard, a hummingbird chittered loudly, drowning out the occasionally peeping of some larger songbird in one of the neighbor's yards. The sky was still dark outside, this early in the morning.

The man Hiroko had known, save for a few brief moments, as Kenta, looked up from his phone and delicately took the dish of tea in one hand, moving stiffly as if he were sore or arthritic. He was a very tall man, paler than Hiroko, with eyes so dark they were nearly black, and a flatter face with a smaller nose, narrower eyes, and a blocky, clean-cut jaw. His hair, unlike his wife's, was black and streaked with spatters of pure white, radiating out from his temples like dried blood spattered from a bullet wound. His teeth were extremely even, and in the early morning light and the light of the house's lamps, they seemed to gleam with a slightly unnatural luster. "Who would that be?"
"Taira Yoshi." There was a slight pause as Kenta's brain turned over, grinding sleep out of its gears as electrical impulses raced down chains of neurons to retrieve a face, the faces of relatives, a shared history.
"Yoshi? Why would Yoshi be sending you a Tor message?"
"University students sometimes get involved in political causes," Hiroko said coolly, taking a sip of her tea. "He just said he knew I'd talked a little about doing some political stuff when I was younger and he was hoping to meet with me over a bite to eat to chat about something along those lines."
"Hmm. Oddly specific, I would've thought he would maybe be seeing if we could do Kuriko any favors with her hip replacement."
Hiroko winced at the mention of their neighbor's (Yoshi's mother) injury and upcoming surgery. "Ugh, even talking about that makes my hips hurt. No, I think Yoshi may have gotten himself mixed up in university politics. It could also be some sort of elaborate setup or sting, though."
Kenta chuckled quietly, the sound seeming to scarcely escape from his lungs. "Well, what couldn't be? Anyways, when and where are you thinking of meeting him?"
"A cafe near his dorm that he suggested. I pulled up the map of it on my phone and it looks fine, I don't think I'll need help running countersurveillance before I go in."
"Alright. And Takeshi is still planning on coming home this weekend?"
Hiroko nodded, smiling at the mention of their son, off at university. "Yes. I promised him I'd make him tempura shrimp for lunch, he said he'd text whenever his train was due to arrive so we could pick him up."
A few sullen clouds spat halfhearted raindrops down onto the city as a few more of its citizens began to blearily awake, and as the belt of Venus began to turn the eastern horizon into a wall of pink and yellow flame, the two of them continued about their morning routine. Kenta rose with the grace and dignity of a dancer to get some coffee ready, while Hiroko quickly rolled some rice and fish up in nori and filled a bowl with soy sauce. They ate standing at the kitchen counter, watching the light rain pitter-patter off the maple tree's leaves through the window, and listened to the hummingbird offer its defiant song to the rising sun.
There's some sort of poem in this moment, Hiroko thought. But what kind?

Much later, in a small family restaurant in the Okurimono District that mostly catered to students or locals, a well-dressed woman of middling height, with iron-gray hair and hazel eyes, walked demurely through the door in the drab gray business suit of a bureaucrat. Yet over this, she wore a bright red coat- one that simultaneously suggested revolutionary fervor, and yet also something deeply capitalist in its richness, and quite a striking contrast to her suit. It was drizzling outside, and she folded her plain black umbrella as she entered. The hazel irises and the burning black pupils briefly paused in their struggle against one another to take in the restaurant with total clarity. The patrons were all in a single room together, with a counter that took up the back right area and had been co-opted from breakfast service to serve as a bar in the evenings. Booths ran along the left wall, and a few tables were scattered through the rest of the room. For the most part, the place was deserted, save for a few small parties. But containers waited under heat lamps on the counter, and every now and then a harried-looking student would come in, practically fling a few notes at one of the waiters, and make off with one out into the night- evidently, takeout business was brisk.
Towards the back of the room, in a corner, Hiroko spied a familiar face peering out at her from one of the booths, leaning around the corner. She smiled slightly and walked over. Alone, as promised.
"Yoshi! How are you?"
As she took a seat across from him, the door chimed again- another student nipping off with dinner. Nice of him to give me a seat where I can see everything. Stupid of him to not put himself in a position where he could. "I was just talking to your mother before I came here, actually- Takeshi is coming into town over the weekend, so Kenta and I have been fretting over it." She turned over of of the laminated paper menus, the plastic smudged with oils by the fingers of many previous customers. "Have you been to this place before? Anything really tasty here?"
Last edited by Senkaku on Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Biden-Santos Thought cadre

Cresadine
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:40 pm

Imperial Capitol of Teien - 庭園帝都 - Teien Teito
Kiji District - きじ地区 - Kiji Chiku

Yoshi is a slender young man, with refined cheekbones and sunken cheeks. His fine face reminds one that he is a from a good family, possibly of noble lineage or certainly good breeding. Curiously, they also inform a certain poverty. He has soft jet-black hair and warm welcoming eyes.

He is dressed in grey pants and a black coat with large buttons. Like any good supporter of the Communist Party he has bought a few Red Stars and glued them onto his buttons. The Department of Harmony officials often go a bit softer on those who make use of party paraphernalia. He wears the brown faux leather shoes that most people wear, the ones that are manufactured by the state. They are practical, and made well enough so that they last - but they are not particularly comfortable.

He is a fidgety man. He constantly taps his fingers in a sequence, remnants of long-ago music lessons. Whenever his thick coke-bottle glasses periodically slip down his nose he takes their temples and pull them up - instead of just pushing them up his nose again. He regularly taps his foot in the softest pianissimo. Every once and a while he will purse his lips, as if lost in deep thought, then go right back to tapping his feet and fingers.

He waves and smiles at Hiroko when she comes in. He has known her a while, her son was and still is one of his best friends. They were next-door neighbours and he had spent many evenings supping with them. Hiroko made good use of her state-sponsored ration coupons, there was always something tasty at their table.

"Takeshi is coming? I'll have to see him before he goes," he would like to see his oldest friend. He looks down at his menu, which bears the seals of the different departments which have approved the business. This practice called akaisuta was not required by law, but many businesses practiced it for a little bit of extra legitimacy in the eyes of the Teien Imperial State Regulatory Board. "I actually came here with Takeshi and a few friends once - they do a good squid tempura."
Last edited by Cresadine on Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
He forbead þa heortas swylce eac þa baras, swa swiðe he lufode þa headeor swilce he wære heora fæder

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:21 pm

Chapter Two: A Little Night Music

Teien, Nematsu
Okurimono District

"Takeshi is coming? I'll have to see him before he goes. I actually came here with Takeshi and a few friends once - they do a good squid tempura."
Hiroko smiled softly, setting the menu carefully back in place, perfectly aligned with the worn, plain black old placemat, and shrugged her vermilion coat off, letting it fall onto the bench behind her. The bright red fabric folded slightly as she leaned back, thoughtfully drumming her fingers against the surface of the table as she stared intently at Yoshi's face. He is nervous. So many little ticks. He had the same gaunt, sharp cheekbones of many young men, blessed with the rapid metabolism and fast living of youth, and his eyes, behind those thick glasses, were just as she remembered- just a little too trusting, in a country that had little room for such luxuries.
"I'm sure he'd like that. Squid tempura sounds excellent," she said, the singsong, cheerful tone of small talk creeping out of her voice.
A beleaguered-looking waiter finally came over towards them, quickly taking their orders, and then vanished back into the kitchen with his little notepad.
The door chimed again, and Hiroko's eyes flicked towards it of their own accord, running up and down the young woman who had just come in. Like the last person to come in, she simply quickly grabbed a plastic bag of takeout, hurled a few yen at the nearest waiter, and disappeared out into the rainy night. Headlights illuminated her silhouette strangely in the rain-spattered windows for a moment before she, too, was gone.
"Now, I think it is time for us to get down to things," Hiroko said coolly, fixing a steely gaze back on Yoshi. "You asked to discuss a rather incendiary subject with me. I'm curious as to what exactly you're doing- and also why you'd want to talk to me about it. Do you understand what you're getting yourself into, Yoshi? Because even the slightest action- this is not a game."
The waiter returned with unexpected speed with their food- this is not an expensive establishment- and Hiroko fell silent while he served them, her gaze remaining fixed on Yoshi. When the man was out of earshot, she resumed.
"Now, explain yourself." She took a bite of her squid tempura. It may not be expensive, but he was right, this is quite nice.
Last edited by Senkaku on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cresadine
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:19 pm

Imperial Capitol of Teien - 庭園帝都 - Teien Teito
Kiji District - 贈り物地区 - Okurinomo Chiku

Yoshi stopped breathing for a second. For a second he couldn't think of what to say, he was paralyzed. His tongue, lips and vocal chords were unable to work in harmony to make speech. If he said what he wanted to say he was crossing the line that he had always been told never to cross. He would become a traitor if he said what he said, an enemy of the Emperor, the state, the Party and the people. But only for a second, he lowered his voice so that the surrounding patrons could not here him.

"A group of students and I have been meeting for the past few months. There are about fifty of us in total. Originally twenty of us got together to study but things have taken a turn. We mainly talk politics now, and well...we are interested in making a change. The Party is leeching the lifeblood of the nation, especially us students. We were thinking of organizing a protest outside the technical institute, the time is ripe - the government has imposed new rations and everyone is up-in-arms.

I remember on one of our late night parties that you mentioned to my mom that you had engaged in underground political activity in your younger years. So...um...I was wondering if you still had any connections from that time? You know, to help us get the word out. Something needs to be done."

He waited from a no-doubt shocked Hiroko, and returned to nervously drumming his fingers on the tabled-top. Remnants from long-ago times permeate everywhere.
Last edited by Cresadine on Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Senkaku
Postmaster of the Fleet

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Senkaku » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:37 pm

Teien, Nematsu
Okurimono District

"A group of students and I have been meeting for the past few months. There are about fifty of us in total. Originally twenty of us got together to study but things have taken a turn. We mainly talk politics now, and well...we are interested in making a change. The Party is leeching the lifeblood of the nation, especially us students. We were thinking of organizing a protest outside the technical institute, the time is ripe - the government has imposed new rations and everyone is up-in-arms. I remember on one of our late night parties that you mentioned to my mom that you had engaged in underground political activity in your younger years. So...um...I was wondering if you still had any connections from that time? You know, to help us get the word out. Something needs to be done."
Hiroko smiled slightly, taking a silver cigarette case and lighter out from a pocket of her jacket, and looked with a bemused air at Yoshi.
"Stop drumming your fingers and sit still." She paused, waiting for him to comply, and then delicately pulled out a cigarette and lit it, staring at him as she took a drag. Fifty of them! Perfect recruiters and spotters, each of them! What a gift!
After a moment, she exhaled, smoke jetting from her nostrils as if she were a dragon in disguise, and she delicately shifted her chopsticks to set one atop the other.
"Political activity is not something you suddenly let go over the years in this country, Yoshi," she said, cocking her head slightly. "Do you understand? I have contacts I can arrange for you to see, yes. But let me offer you some advice- don't take this lightly. If you and fifty or a hundred or five hundred people show up in front of the technical institute with signs and shouting slogans, you'll be totally vaporized by the next day. All your families will be blacklisted or interrogated, you'll be imprisoned for years. We live in a nation where political change cannot be accomplished in small increments by repeated, small activity, or where it is a goal that an activist can simply drift away from and cease pursuing over the years." She took another drag on her cigarette and tapped some of the ash out on the cheap acrylic ashtray that set on the table. "It is revolution, or nothing at all. A frightening notion, hmm?"
She paused again, her smile fading to an impassive line. "I will get you in touch with someone tomorrow who I think can help you. Wait for me to send you the time and location, and don't go off half-cocked. Now, let's enjoy our meal, yes? I'll get the bill, the new rations have you on enough of a budget as it is."

Some time later...
Kiji District

"How was the meeting?", Kenta said without looking up, as Hiroko came into the room.
"Extremely promising- will you help me encode a burst to the residency?"
"Of course." Kenta rose, taking her jacket for her. She smiled at him and went to get herself a glass of water.
"How was your work today?"
"The same. Boring myself to death in a lab, picking up the same dead drops, making the usual rounds. Any interesting details from your meeting?"
"Fifty or so students, discussing political matters. Yoshi wanted to arrange some sort of picket in front of the technical institute, I think I dispelled that notion from his mind for now. I'm going to set up a meeting with one of Akane's couriers to put him in touch with some other revolutionary cells in Teien."
"Interesting." Kenta opened his laptop. "Shall we begin?"

INCOMING HIGH-PRIORITY BROADCAST: ENCRYPTED

SPECIAL DIVISION OPERATIONS REPORT

MSJ Special Division operators HERON and SWALLOW have identified a high-level political vulnerability in Teien Technical Institute No. 1 via a student contact (unrelated to HERON's academic work) at the institute. Estimated fifty students may be engaged in the creation of the nucleus of a revolutionary cell, and the student contact appears to be some sort of leader of this group (insofar as they were trusted to contact SWALLOW). Propose random-selected codename WHIRLPOOL for this cell and codename TAIPAN for student contact. HERON and SWALLOW will be engaging with WHIRLPOOL and endeavoring to bolster its numbers and contacts with other similar Teien-area (and ideally also further afield) organizations under their operational discretion as Special Division officers, and request support from other Special Division operators and from all other divisions of the Bureau in Nematsu in pursuing more aggressive political aims.
TAIPAN and one or two companions will meet tomorrow with Special Division courier KRAIT and with SWALLOW at 23:00 hours at a location outside the city (Teien Area Cache, Drop, & Meeting Location, at an abandoned Shirakawa Heavy Industries warehouse).
Last edited by Senkaku on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents