NATION

PASSWORD

Among the Survivors: Signups Page, OOC, MT, PMT

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Osagal
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Among the Survivors: Signups Page, OOC, MT, PMT

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:58 pm

Among the Survivors...

You see a scrubby office building on the edge of town. Both doors are locked on closer inspection, but their glass was knocked out some time ago. The front desk turns up nothing, save a slouched skeletal figure. You notice something odd about him though. In his bony right hand he clutches something blue and cylindrical. A pen. In front of him, enscribed on yellowing parchment is what appears to be a note. You examine it.

What's going on...?

It's been eighty long years since the United States formally disbanded, but the cause of the collapse had been doing it's work since the inception of the Industrial Revolution. Climate change. From its cultivation in the mind of Svante Arrhenius in eighteen ninety six to the mid nineteen nineties when it became a hot button political issue, this specter went largely ignored by both citizens and governments alike. Of course it was a contentiously debated topic, but whatever action taken was ultimately too little to amount to much. Whatever flimsy goals world powers drew up to slow down the crisis only did that -slow it down-. Global warming was always seen as a distant threat, the hazy carbon shadow we'd cast on our posterity instead of ourselves. In retrospect, it was less like a shadow and more like an explosion. It didn't just impact the lives of the future generations, but to the dismay of millions, ours as well.

The news media covered it poorly, without a doubt. They'd find time to work it in between recent terrorist attacks or other political drama, most of the time that is. On a few occasions the topic was dropped altogether in favor of a fresher, more click-baity story. Shocker: "How A Leaked Tape of Donald Trump Bragged About Groping" got more views than "Study Reveals Stunning Acceleration of Sea Level Rise". Putting it to the back burner did little to stop it though. During the first weeks of the flooding nobody batted an eye. Weather phenomena was the norm by then, but everything always returned to normal. But it didn't. They built the levees higher, but mounds of dirt can’t hold back the sea for long. Florida was the first to slip beneath the waves. Meanwhile, a Mississippi River bloated from rising oceans and a few seasonal hurricanes swallowed Louisiana and Arkansas whole. In later years large swathes of California would also be reclaimed by the deep blue.

Arguably the aftershock was more devastating than the losses themselves. The world’s markets felt the worst of it, plunging the globe into a new era of economic depression. The value of the dollar fell to it’s lowest point in history, being almost as valuable as the Confederate’s money had been during the Civil War. Speaking of which, Secessionist movements became increasingly popular in the new United States we’d made for ourselves. Texas was the first state to officially announce its independence from the faltering Union. New Mexico, California, and others were quick to follow suit. To put it lightly, the U.S respectfully declined their request to break away. All but one were brought to heel in less than a year, with the full power of the American war machine on their doorsteps. Texas, the most formidably armed rebel power, managed to hold the fighting to just south of the Red River for about five years. That was, until the news of the epidemic broke.

The Scourge had it’s roots in the decline of the Republic. In city streets and choked off islands (spits of high ground that endured the flooding in places like Florida and Louisiana) alike, American families lived in utter squalor and depravity. Men and women had to resort to all time lows just to feed themselves and their families. It started with cats and dogs. “People have to eat!” I remember them saying. Then came the rats. You did what you had to do, right? But all other alternatives were hunted to extinction, there were few other options than to turn on our own. Nobody said anything then. I wasn’t proud of it. None of us were. Few even admitted to it. Moreover, there was never a shortage of corpses, nor has there ever been since then. Thanks to us. We never suspected the medical implications of our diet. How we’d go mad. How we’d grow a lust for human flesh. In my day they use to say: “You are what you eat”. They weren’t so wrong, it turns out. We became corpses ourselves, cursed to walk among you living.

Anywho, we were the deathblow for the land of the free… We swept from east to west, north by south, turning people as we went. A few brave souls held us back, but the weak didn’t last long. The final joint-session of the House of Representatives was held to announce the United States’ capitulation to Texas, and all other states who bidded for their liberty. They wished North America farewell in their absence in a long speech, now forgotten. And their wishes paid off. New nations are rising to fill the void they left. In my time wandering this land, I think I’ve seen a great many of them. But now my days are done. As I slowly starve, my insanity has begun to fade. A frail clarity returns to me now, ironically when I need it the least. I write this now more for myself rather than whoever might find it. When the Scourge takes you, nothing seems to change. Only the lust for flesh drives you, nothing more. I’m surprised to see how much I’ve forgotten. Thanks for reading, I suppose. If you're to come here before I perish, finish me, please oh please. At this point nothing would be sweeter than dea-

At this point nothing would be sweeter than dea-

The letter finishes in sloppy, childish handwriting. You search the building for anything more important, but turn up nothing of great value. You head for the door, and emerge back into the gloomy ruination of a city outside. On the air, more than just the smell of death and decay wafts. A whisper also calls out to you. You hardly recognize it at first, but then you realize what it is. Adventure. It's calling your name.

IC Page
https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=392542&p=30189222#p30189222

Nation Application:
Code: Select all
Nation Name:
-Alternative Names (If Any):
Government Type:
-Legislature (If Any):
-State Ideology (If Any):
Current Leader(s):
Territorial Claims:
Religion (If Any):
Active Standing Army (In Hundreds or Thousands Please):
-Reserves (If Any):
-Special Units (If Any):
Brief National Prehistory/Backstory:

Character Application:
Code: Select all
Character Name:
-Alternative Names (If Any):
Skills:
Experience:
-Military Training (If Any):
Allegiances (If Any):
Interest:
Ambitions:
Character Flaws:
Good Traits:
Brief Life Story:

The Known World

https://i.imgsafe.org/c4ec8d362f.png (Just use the link, the picture's too big.)

Crimson= The Empire of San Velasco- San Velasco
-Born from the Convention of Velasco, the meeting that unified long fighting Texan citystates.
-Evolved into a fascist empire, bent on expansion.
-Shares an western border with Osagal

Orange= The Holy Empire of Osagal- Osagal
-Started as an apocalypse cult in the American south known as the Communion of the Elect (CotE).
-Engaged in a series of long wars with a rival cult, the Revallist, and win by a large margin.
-Bishop Lucius-Judeaus declared war hero Belehedron Lysender as King of the conquered lands, establishing the Holy Empire of Osagal.

Light Red= The Confederal Republic of Vermont- Kihdis/The Champlain
-After epidemic ravages the U.S, sectarians in Vermont and parts of upstate New York left the Union as one entity.
-Once the House formally disbands the United States, this new nation becomes known as the Champlain Alliance, or just The Champlain.
-The Champlain became self sufficient and powerful, only interacting with other continental powers for the sake of military alliances.

Green= The Democracy of Vancouver- Great Canadian Dominion
-After the fall of the Canadian government, Vancouver and surrounding British Columbia became independent.
-The first years were terribly rough, but the citizenry persevered, a constitution was written, and things feel slowly into place.
-Asians make up the largest demographic of this nation, considering they had the fastest growing population rates after the collapse.

Sky Blue= The New Confederate States of America- Fre Eva Rinese
-Founded on the basis of southern unity and culture, a reincarnation of the nation's namesake.
-Cultural cornerstones include white supremacy and slavery.
-Shares an eastern border with Osagal.

Yellow= The Lakes Republic- Tsunegara
-Seceded from the U.S and Canada just before their official demise, to salvage and restore democracy in the waste of North America.
-Holds Niagara Falls and most of the Great Lakes region.
-Continues to expand it's influence throughout the former U.S and Canada.

Dark Blue= The Empire of Blythe- Candro
-Rose from the power vacuum left by retreating and disbanding United States forces.
-Controlled by a powerful military junta that rules through nationalistic fervor.
-Derives it's name from the small town it was founded in.

Know the Rules, or Say Goodbye!

1 Thou shalt not metagame or godop, thus saith the mod.
2 Thou shalt not be rude when talking to each other OOC, thus saith the mod.
3 Thou shalt never write one liners, thus saith the mod.
4 You shall have no mod before me, I Am the final authority on all issues, thus saith the mod.
5 This is the most important commandment, and shall be strictly enforced... HAVE FUN, THUS SAITH THE MOD!
Last edited by Osagal on Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:05 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 01, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:00 pm

Can I have a nation in Canada or just the U.S?

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:02 pm

Canada, the USA, or Mexico.

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:03 pm

I'm about to put up a preliminary map. A friend of mine and myself have already made territorial claims.

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:04 pm

Osagal wrote:Canada, the USA, or Mexico.

How big? I'm thinking of making a New Scotland, the Canadian government remnants or a Asian/Cascadian nation.
Last edited by Great Canadian Dominion on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kihdis
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Kihdis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:05 pm

Tag, I might put in an app later today
I'm a bad leftist.
Current Leader: President Yaqûb Goran

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:07 pm

Great Canadian Dominion wrote:
Osagal wrote:Canada, the USA, or Mexico.

How big? I'm thinking of making a New Scotland, the Canadian government remnants or a Asian/Cascadian nation.

No bigger than the current two are right now. We might be forced to downsize to make room, or expand the map later.

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:09 pm

Osagal wrote:
Great Canadian Dominion wrote:How big? I'm thinking of making a New Scotland, the Canadian government remnants or a Asian/Cascadian nation.

No bigger than the current two are right now. We might be forced to downsize to make room, or expand the map later.

Is Vancouver city on there or is it sunken? Can't tell.

Kihdis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kihdis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:10 pm

For my app, would you rather me edit my land onto another copy of the map or do you just want me to tell you what I'm claiming
I'm a bad leftist.

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Great Canadian Dominion wrote:
Osagal wrote:

Is Vancouver city on there or is it sunken? Can't tell.

Partially submerged.

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Kihdis wrote:For my app, would you rather me edit my land onto another copy of the map or do you just want me to tell you what I'm claiming

Just name your proposed territories in the app, please.

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 pm

If allowed I'll reserve the remaining B.C.

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:13 pm

Sounds good.

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:14 pm

Osagal wrote:Sounds good.

Expect lots of Asians.

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:15 pm

No problem, so long as it makes sense.

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:17 pm

Osagal wrote:No problem, so long as it makes sense.

Vancouver is 42% Asian and its Asian population is growing faster than any other ethnicity *Ex European*

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:19 pm

Does my character have to be my nation leader or a normal person?

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:20 pm

Great Canadian Dominion wrote:Does my character have to be my nation leader or a normal person?

Nah. It can be just some dude going through the waste or from nation to nation. Or he/she can be loyal to an existing nation.

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:23 pm

Nation Name: Democracy of Vancouver
-Alternative Names (If Any): Vancouver
Government Type: Democracy
-Legislature (If Any): Same as modern day Canada
-State Ideology (If Any): Democracy
Current Leader(s): Prime Minister Yaling Zhihao *F*
Territorial Claims: As much B.C as I am allowed to get, starting at Vancouver city and expanding northwards.
Religion (If Any): Mixed, mainly Sikhism, Buddhism and Christianity.
Active Standing Army (In Hundreds or Thousands Please): 25 000
-Reserves (If Any): 140 000 *Total is 165 000*
-Special Units (If Any): Vancouverite Joint Task Force 2 and the Vancouverite Domestic Special Response Team
Brief National Prehistory/Backstory: During the epidemic and the collapse of the Canadian government, the British Columbian Provincial government immediately worked to establish the B.C area as a nation. Times were rough, poverty was everywhere, the police were brutal so many turned to drugs to keep their mind off the hell which was happening infront of they're very own eyes. The military consisted of ex-Canadian soldiers and untrained conscripts, which often worked alongside civilians to farm and fish, with food being rationed. Vancouver having one of North America's biggest ports payed off every pound of seafood anybody could get they're hands on, which wasn't very hard. Lumber was collected from the Cascadian forests. After years of building a foundation an official constitution was made, being a slightly altered version of the constitution used by the Canadian government and laws were set in place. The nation's name would be based off the capital, Vancouver, and the prime minister would be Ji-Yu Zhihao who was voted in during a 2 month election which occurred previously. The influential and fair Yaling Zhihao, daughter of Ji-Yu is now Vancouver's prime minister, and has lead the nation towards greatness. Now a stable military, civil rights and an economy not based entirely on unpaid and mandatory labor.
Last edited by Great Canadian Dominion on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:28 pm

Great Canadian Dominion wrote:Nation Name: Democracy of Vancouver
-Alternative Names (If Any): Vancouver
Government Type: Democracy
-Legislature (If Any): Same as modern day Canada
-State Ideology (If Any): Democracy
Current Leader(s): Prime Minister Yaling Zhihao *F*
Territorial Claims: As much B.C as I am allowed to get, starting at Vancouver city and expanding northwards.
Religion (If Any): Mixed, mainly Sikhism, Buddhism and Christianity.
Active Standing Army (In Hundreds or Thousands Please): WIP.
-Reserves (If Any): WIP.
-Special Units (If Any): Vancouverite Joint Task Force 2 *Consists of JTF2 members* and the Vancouverite Domestic Special Response Team
Brief National Prehistory/Backstory: WIP

To be accepted once WIPs get finished.

Kihdis
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Kihdis » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Nation Name: The Confederal Republic of Vermont
-Alternative Names (If Any): The Champlain Confederacy
Government Type: Direct Democracy (Democratic Confederalism)
-Legislature (If Any): Unicameral Congress with one ambassador per canton. Each canton has more local authority than the national government, and tend to focus on internal development. The cantons are essentially only bound by the obligation of universal defence, and by trade.
-State Ideology (If Any): Democratic Confederalism
Current Leader(s): Connor Hayden
Territorial Claims: The state of Vermont, and the northeastern province of New York (Adirondack Region)
Religion (If Any): Mostly nonreligious, however the state does not involve itself with religion
Active Standing Army (In Hundreds or Thousands Please): 35 000
-Reserves (If Any): 100 000
-Special Units (If Any): None
Following the epidemic, separatist movements in New England rapidly gathered support, with both environmentalists and progressives flocking to their banners. The State of Vermont, along with the "Adirondack Republic" seceded together, and joined into an alliance they informally called "The Champlain Confederacy." Once the House formally dissolved the Union, the Confederacy began to secure its borders and become totally self sufficient from the rising nations across the continent, only having interests in military alliances. Given the small population of the new Republic, the government could afford to produce all of its energy and food locally.
(If this needs more just let me know)
I'm a bad leftist.

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:33 pm

Kihdis wrote:Nation Name: The Confederal Republic of Vermont
-Alternative Names (If Any): The Champlain Confederacy
Government Type: Direct Democracy (Democratic Confederalism)
-Legislature (If Any): Unicameral Congress with one ambassador per canton. Each canton has more local authority than the national government, and tend to focus on internal development. The cantons are essentially only bound by the obligation of universal defence, and by trade.
-State Ideology (If Any): Democratic Confederalism
Current Leader(s): Connor Hayden
Territorial Claims: The state of Vermont, and the northeastern province of New York (Adirondack Region)
Religion (If Any): Mostly nonreligious, however the state does not involve itself with religion
Active Standing Army (In Hundreds or Thousands Please): 35 000
-Reserves (If Any): 100 000
-Special Units (If Any): None
Following the epidemic, separatist movements in New England rapidly gathered support, with both environmentalists and progressives flocking to their banners. The State of Vermont, along with the "Adirondack Republic" seceded together, and joined into an alliance they informally called "The Champlain Confederacy." Once the House formally dissolved the Union, the Confederacy began to secure its borders and become totally self sufficient from the rising nations across the continent, only having interests in military alliances. Given the small population of the new Republic, the government could afford to produce all of its energy and food locally.
(If this needs more just let me know)

ACCEPTED

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:33 pm

What should my military pop be..mmm..

Osagal
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Osagal » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:35 pm

Great Canadian Dominion wrote:What should my military pop be..mmm..

No more than 200,000

Great Canadian Dominion
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Great Canadian Dominion » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:38 pm

Character Name: Hye-Jin Min-Ji
-Alternative Names (If Any): Hye
Skills: Speed, agility and scavenging
Experience: None. None at all. She knows little from exploring but not with firearms, and her skills are better used in running away and hiding in the shadows.
-Military Training (If Any):
Allegiances (If Any):
Interest: Exploring, fishing and experimenting with drugs *Vancouver is a land of hippies*
Ambitions:
Character Flaws: Less willing to engage in combat, has no combat experience, she isn't not physically strong and she is a druggie
Good Traits: Pacifist *More of a neutral trait, that can in certain circumstances be a bad trait*, respectful, friendly, kind, serious when she needs to but generally easygoing.
Brief Life Story: Hye-Jin grew up in one of the more...fortunate neighborhoods in downtown Vancouver to two loving parents. Her parents always tried to hide the world from her, keeping her away from most people and only speaking out serious issues in hushed voices. But one day, she found out, the hard way. Hye's father had gone missing. Hye's mother was going hysterical. Her husband hadn't returned for weeks, and Hye's mother went insane spewing out words such as "HE COULDN'T HAVE! HE COULDN'T HAVE!" and "WHO KILLED HIM! I'LL END THEIR LIVES!" Hye was in shock during her mothers rants and found her body dead on the bathroom floor, a knife stuck between her eyes. This moment had changed Hye's life forever. Rather than contacting the authorities she ran away from the city, far away never to return for 2 years. When she stepped through those gates...her brain was overloaded with nostalgia. While gone she learned so much. She learned the world isn't perfect, she learned to fend for herself in the most dire situations. She had more than a few run ins with bandits, a lot of the time nearly having hundreds of rifle ammunition piercing her body while attempting to flee. A few years later she decided to been another expedition. Gathering several pairs of clothes, a knife and several cans of beans and water bottles she would now hope to continue her adventure.. where it had left off.
Home: Vancouver city, Vancouver.
Ethnicity: Korean
Last edited by Great Canadian Dominion on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents