NATION

PASSWORD

Into the Abyss, Unflinchingly (FT; Semi-closed, Attn: Rethan

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Telros
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Into the Abyss, Unflinchingly (FT; Semi-closed, Attn: Rethan

Postby Telros » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:46 pm

It's funny, really. No one ever really tells you the cost of any grand new undertaking or mission. How much you will sacrifice in blood, sweat, tears, raw emotion, and in some cases, actual lives. In the meetings and committees held in the places of power, where those with more political skill than sense debate grand concepts and budgets back and forth, settling on some middle ground that seemingly makes everyone happy. In reality, a few benefit, the rest are told it was a great step forward for them, and they all applaud, wearing fine uniforms, cutting ribbons and thundering on their podiums about the future. It is rare that they actually believe in any great undertaking, but then again, that could be her pessimism talking. As Vice-Host, Claws of Maroon had command over the severely restricted military, and had been subject to arrogant ridicule and rhetoric of the scientists who now dominated their government and culture. Some of the old guard at least listened to the cases she and the other Hosts and Vice-Hosts made, and responded as was proper in a debate, even one tread through a thousand times. Most of the others made it seem like the military was an out-moded idea, soon to be scrapped in favor of a future only their new breakthroughs could accomplish.

Bunch of young cocks, not understanding just what had transpired over eighty years ago, when the generation before them gave so much to ensure they could have as much as they have now and to conveniently forget it all. For them to decry any shifting of funding or attention from them and their shiny new toys, or the endless machine of the corporations. No, borrow from the defense of the now and future generation for the theoretical progress of the infinite. When the Ternion has summoned her and Beak of Cyan, one of the Head Scientists of the Rising Claw Foundation, she had expected yet another tired debate and further affirmation of her hatred for government and the culture their system had produced. She had been pleasantly surprised, for once, for them to be offered commanding positions, although Beak was in command, in a new project they were commissioning. It would appear that the constant raiding by pirates and raiders, plus news pouring in from galactic and national networks had finally begun to open their eyes that something had to be done, to ensure their continued survival and prosperity.

Of course, as with anything, it was done in half-measures; it wasn't an expansion of the military, it was the formation of a galactic aid task force, to go and aid the meek, the hungry, the sick and the dispossessed, to offer actual succor to the refugees and beyond in a galaxy that saw their existence as a nuisance at best, and an affront at worst. The Grand Moot had only agreed to compromise on half of the proposed budget every year for this project, which meant they would have to make very hard choices on certain areas and operations due to supply levels being an issue. Further, they were to be independent of the Directorate; they would be given large support monetarily and logistically. Any bases friendly to or owned by the Directorate they could resupply at, but otherwise it was a hit or miss game; they still didn't understand making deals with other powers could alleviate that situation. So if any conflicts or issues came up, they would have to be settled by them; of course, there was an option to call in Directorate forces for help...but that would put the nail in the coffin for this effort and it would be scrapped and removed as too dangerous. They were to be politicians and diplomats, doctors and scientists, traders and smugglers, all into one. She knew many of the recruits would be young and bright-eyed, ready to go make a difference and not understand just how many people they would have to leave to die on the table of political compromise.

Still, while a pathetic half-measure, it was a step in the right direction and the Ternion actually united behind an international effort for once was refreshing and there were many in the galaxy who needed help and had been denied it for so long. Plus, it got her away from all of this mess and gave her room to breathe. She had agreed shortly into the conversation; Beak, to his credit, had to be convinced since he was working at the edge of the medical field and had many projects in the air that would have to be put on hold or given to others. A promise of his own ship for experimentation and development calmed him and brought him on board. They were given the briefing by both government and military officials; one telling of every cuff and restriction they had to follow, the other offering all of the short cuts and offers to help as possible. The military took care of their own, even when the government didn't. At the end, they had been left alone to muse and think for that awkward period when a project was just getting started. Surprisingly, Beak turned to her and began to speak, his mouth clacking firmly to get her attention, startling her from her reverie.

“Vice Host Claws of Maroon, I understand this is a lot to take in, but I feel we should discuss this venture, seeing as we shall be working together, you and I.” Talons set aside a holographic report, detailing the supplies and budget given, always never enough, no matter how much they squeezed from the populace, and directed her attention to him, drawing herself up and her indifferent military persona. The puffbeaks always liked to establish their authority early, reminding the military of their place.

“A commendable idea, Head Scientist. What are your thoughts and plans for this venture? I'm sure you are excited about all the new developments in wait for you.”

The other blinked for a moment and then uttered a trill of disappointment. “Now now, there is no need for such condescension, Vice-Host. I know you must be ruffled from dealing with all the young and hungry scientists, but there is no need to view the field of medicine so harshly.”

A brief shudder through her, hidden by her uniform, kept her surprise hidden as she replied. “I meant no offense-”

“Lying is not becoming of a military officer. Besides, I am more in agreement than you think; I cannot tell you how many times I have had to crush some upstarts dreams because he refuses to think beyond what he /can/ do, not what he /should/ do.” Blue-green eyes stared into her own as he continued to speak, calmly as if it was another lecture and not laying her open like a book.

“Your military institution has long sought this sort of venture, though continually frustrated as it is by our system and the long memories of our leaders. I can understand you are hopping foot to foot about this but try to contain yourself. I am only here to help, as I have always done. I did not choose the medical field for its wide array of benefits and pay; it is the most forgotten of arts until a plague or disease comes along, then we are 'rock stars' as the youth like to say, for a time. I chose it so I could help others; originally that was for Tezekians and Oozori. But this is simply an expansion of that concept. I'm a healer at heart, scientist second.”

Gathering herself, Claws leaned forward, sliding a talon over a screen to open up the refreshment container. “...You say you understand our..distaste for the current system and situation, so do you intend to actually heed my advice rather than run the entire show?”

A brief attack of cawing burst from Cyan as he laughed, holding a hand to his chest to steady himself. “My my, you are a bitter one, but at least you are honest now. No, Vice-Host, I do not intend to command everything; My skills are focused on medicine and the application of scientific thought and technology to it. While I expect you to follow my directives when handling patients, quarantines and other such operations, I do not pretend to want to command all of it. In my mind, I shall be letting you handle most of the affairs.”

A pause. “And you are serious about that?”

A talon ran through his fading but still colorful plumage, a rainbow of colors but heavily dominated by cyan hues that hung like a crowd on his head. “Of course! I know nothing about military strategy, or international politics and diplomacy. You are far more trained in that than I; I expected to work in my lab at the Foundation for the rest of my life. My people skills are a tad lacking at this point, as you may have noticed.” A trill of amusement as he lifted the drink she had poured for him to his beak and took a draught. Taking one for herself, she chewed on his words for a moment, considering as he idly picked out lint from her blue and white uniform, shining the medals out of nervous habit. A project where she could actually work rather than kow-towing to a lesser; what a new idea, as sad as that thought was. It seemed like a division of responsibilities was in order, he would handle the actual mission of the group, while she took care of the management and procurement. Her talons clenched in her gloves and shoes as she thought of the possibilities. If she could pull this off, she could offer a lot of political capital to the military's push for reforms.

“I can agree to your management of the operations and situations involving medicine, disease and other medical trials. However, should situations turn hostile, military or involved a greater perspective, I insist that command shift over to my talons and that it is supported should any object.”

Beak clapped his hands together in excitement. “Now we're getting somewhere! That is perfectly acceptable; after all, are we not taught that efficiency is a truly Tezekian trait?”

Maroon was long a critic of the scientific culture and would always bear distaste for the foundations, but she found she may be able to come to like this scientist. Time would tell, however; she had been fooled before. Their conversation continued for several hours more, debating and refining their roles even as they were getting prepared for them. As they continued to hash out their working relationship and the direction of the Sanctuary project, outside the engineers and technicians of the Directorate were handling the final checks and preparations for the force of ships that would make up the Isabelline Sanctuary. There were fifteen military vessels total that would be handling the defense and protection of the fleet, two Rise-class Cruisers, 3 Talon-class Destroyers, and Cutting-Gale-class 10 Corvettes, and accompanying them would be a logistical fleet of over forty five logistical, research, and medical vessels. Amongst them were two massive hulks of steel that were the form of the Titan-class Planetary Assault Dreadnoughts, the vessels of the Mandate brought into service for the navy. They had been gutted from being the armored titans of space and invasion, their internal stores of troops, ammo and drop pod delivery systems and replaced with supply rooms, nano forges, production facilities, agriculture and hydroponics. Weapons, supplies, tools, clothing, food and such could be produced, vital liquids and materials like water, medical chemicals and such were also available via detailed and advanced facilities, but they had only so much room and power for them. They also required a lot of materials, materials they only had so many of, and if they wanted to fulfill their mission, they would have to get a lot of these advanced materials and molecules off the galactic market or from nations they were helping. When not mining it from unclaimed or ravaged systems. Waste not, want not.

A legion of workers in boost packs and zero-gravity suits were flitting over the superstructures of the vessels, putting the final touches on the vessels. True to their name, they were being given a paint job of pale grey-yellow, with the symbol of a bird's head and beak to represent the Sanctuary. They would be distinct in mission and visuals from the Directorate's own forces, clear for all to see. There was a blitz of traffic as cargo freighters were loading and off-loading supplies and people. The local docking companies were having a ball, being paid top government credits to handle this whole affair, which had been cooking ever since the piracy crisis started kicking off in the rest of the galaxy. The military gave the Ternion and the Moot a lot of trouble for their refusal to adapt with the military, but they had been making plans on how to handle the situation without resorting to military violence and had started gathering for this effort once the decision had been made. Some would call it a half-measure, others would say a first step forward; it was a matter of perspective. Beak and Maroon would eventually make their way aboard one of the destroyers, Shining Claw, gazing around at the architecture of the ship. For Claws, it was a familiar sight, having been aboard many of these, some when she was beginning her career in the Directorate Naval Forces; for Beak, it was an all new experience, which could be seen by the quick and jerky movements of his head and eyes, trying to take everything in and memorize it for study later. As they walked down the hall, soldiers woulds stiffen and cross theirs wing in saluting submission to their higher rank, which she would wave a talon and they would resume their work. If Beak was going to be honest to his word about leaving most things to her, then she was going to let it a show a bit; she walked slightly ahead of Cyan and had a firmer stance, while he gawked.

The Tezekian crewmates began to take in it and make little nods of understanding, their posture pace improving by the slightest of margins as they realized they would be in control. A little morale boost couldn't hurt at this stage. A squad of Oozori troopers were clanking past, pausing to gaze at her, their systems reading the coding of her uniform to represent her rank, before bowing their heads as one. To them, she gave a respectful click and watched them as they went about their patrol; the Oozori provided the bulk of their ground forces, and thus would be the bulk of their troops guarding, guiding, and defending their civilian members and supplies. However, anyone could tell the Oozori resented their status as protectorate and subordinate to a nation younger than they; the policies they had enacted had helped many of the concerns die down and keep things to a dull roar. However, if war reared its head and their troops began to die in large numbers, most of that would evaporate. It also didn't help much of the officer corps of the Navy and Army were Tezekian and had a bias towards them due to the First Stellar War fifty years ago. Something to remember when things began to go wrong out there in space, but it was a thought for another time. Shaking her head, she slid her hand over the security panel, the device detecting the implant in her hand that passed the check and slid open to allow them. The bridge crew had the guts of several of the systems open and available, making tweaks and upgrades in the final hours of preparation. When they heard footsteps, one cocked their head up, only to caw out an alarm.

“Officer on deck!”

They rushed to their feet to salute and stand at attention, and this time, Claws moved around to inspect the room and the bridge crew themselves. Like every Tezekian vessel, the design and architecture of the room and its devices were soft and curving, imitating their own experiences as avians in visual art and function. Over the machines not being repaired or upgraded, their soft milk white and pale blue covers hummed quietly as they projected their holographic displays indicating data and programs, or the controls used to interface with them. Those that were had their wiring and cases open to the world, the pale blue emanating from within, pulses of cyan energy coursing through every couple of seconds, like a heart beat. Her attention drew to the crew themselves, glancing over the crisp nature of their uniforms and stance, holding their position and salute with nary a twitch. Well-disciplined, like most in the military, but...her eyes noted the vibrant color of their plumage, the lack of grey in their feathers or their beaks. They were all so young, having recently joined the military as the government had opened up recruitment for this initiative since volunteers had not covered the required amount, so there was a lot of bright new faces in their midst. It was a step forward for them, as they had been asking for expansion but they were being sent on a medical task force, which would lead to grumbling and also it would be a pain to get them properly settled in for life as a soldier. Still, it was better than nothing; her inspection completed, she clacked her beak once.

“At ease.”

They relaxed and one of them spoke. “Ma'am, we apologize for the mess, but the new upgrades have been taking more time than estimated to properly synchronize with the computer systems.”

“Understood. I know the Foundations have unleashed a new array of upgrades on you all, some time overrun is to be expected. Just do the best you can to minimize that expenditure; the more time we spend here, the less time nations and groups out there have to survive. We need to start creating a network to get supplies and aid to those groups.”

“Yes, Vice Host!”

They returned back to their work as she turned back to Beak. “I imagine you'd like to see your facilities on one of the Titans?”

If a bird could smile, Cyan would have one that would be stretching the limits of his face.

Four months later
The Saramac System

Strange Happenings

The universe bent in on itself, a door of bright light and alien geometries appearing from what was once a quiet section of space to disgorge a fleet of ships, over sixty ships shot into the system. Some appeared to have had some recent repairs, with some spots having different colored metal, and some having marks from battle and asteroid fields. On the Rise-class Cruiser, the Tearing Beak, Vice Host Claws of Maroon stood on the bridge, looking at the screen in front of her, pale whitish-blue of holographic technology, as it began to come into resolution as the sensor net of the fleet began to activate and provide data. It had been a few months from their maiden voyage from the Directorate, and it had been a difficult time from the word go. While she had expected what was coming, many of the crew had been dismayed at the many instances of being told to leave, outright barred or even fired at from the more hostile or desperate nations. In addition, they had to fight off some very determined raiders and pirates since they were on the rise in the galaxy and had thought this convoy of unknown origin and seemingly light guard. Claws cooed in fierce pride as their weapons and training held and melted the enemy, driving them off. After, they had some good fortune to come upon a few nations willing to trade and effect repairs, allowing them to replenish and rearm, and make some contacts out in the black. The scientists and medical staff were finally able to stop climbing the walls of their labs and bays and were able to provide some help to the local hospitals and populations, enabling them to get a discount and some initial agreements that were sent back to the Directorate for review. They even had a deal to help one of the larger empires in their conflict, amidst some very restricting terms, but it was their first major breakthrough and managed to shut up many of the program's critics back home.

Now, they had received news of a civilization sending out a weak radio signal, asking for help from the “creeping cold”. They had managed to get information on it from a smuggler, who had offered to sweeten a deal with some information and Beak had put down his use of his superior rank to insist they take it. Claw had been prepared for a waste of their time, but even she was intrigued and concerned by this message. The voice had been weak, both from the static-filled signal and they had suffered several coughing attacks, indicating some kind of sickness. It would appear they were talking about a plague, but her military training told her that they knew too little to make that assumption just yet. Still, they had a job and purpose and this hit all the indicators to at least investigate. And so they had jumped from their berth at the friendly nation and had come to the Saramac system. Her attention was drawn when a beeping sounded from the screen in front of her and one of the bridge crew began to speak.

“We've finished scanning the system. It's single sun solar system, seven planets, but it would appear our signal came from the fifth one from the sun. And...” He seemed to trail off, eyes tightening as they looked over the data. The Vice Host tapped her seat with the edge of her talon, resonating in the room, a sign of her displeasure over the wait. The officer shook themselves and straightened up.

“It's hard to describe man, It's better as a visual aid.” A claw depressed and the screen in front of her reflected the planet in question and it immediately became clear why the officer hesitated as it was hard to understand. The image was blurry, and out of focus, but it still reflected a gray sky with dark tones from the surface, and one continent sized storm blur over one area. The officer continued to speak as she inspected it.

“We were able to increase our sensor strength through the deployment an orbital grid of probes to boost the yield but...we're only able to get eleven or two kilometers before we get nothing but shifting noise and shadows. We have no idea whats on the planet due to this, and what we have gathered of the atmosphere is confusing at best; there is a lot of electromagnetic interference. If we want to know more, we'll have to make landfall.”

Claws leaned back as she considered this while Beak moved up to place a hand on her chair. “Vice Host, we'll need to establish a base camp if we're going to help anyone. And if we want to find out more, we'll have to go down on the surface.”

“Head Scientist, I appreciate your dedication to the mission, but we have no idea if the air itself is breathable or is carrying the infection, if that is what we are dealing with here. Deploying ground team will be risking their lives when we don't know anything.”

Beak nodded. “I understand the concern, but we have contained suits for this reason, along with a small supply of powered armor for our veteran Oozori troops. Between those we can have a moderate force to establish a science outpost with proper guard; if we have any specimens or victims we need to bring up for more advanced treatment, we can put them in containment pods to be brought up and put in properly quarantined zones. If we are careful and take our time to follow protocol, we should minimize the threat; considering we haven't had much to do beyond drill both experienced and raw recruit in these drills, they have the discipline to handle this.”

Maroon clicked her beak. “My concern is the interference; any force that goes down beyond those 12 kilometers will have no way to give us direct communication. They will have to have a ship fly up to send out a signal to contact us. That will take a few minutes, which can be costly depending on what happens.”

The other closed his eyes a moment in introspection. “You are correct, that is one of the major risks of what I propose. However, our mission is provide aid and comfort for those who will be left abandoned by the rest of the galaxy, unknown or just apathetic to their plight. We are here, now and can do something; as long as we are careful, we can make a difference here just like the last port we were at.”

Maroon clicked in distaste but spoke to the officer.

“Have the expeditionary group form and make landfall at the closest point of civilization they can pinpoint. Have all member use self-contained suits and the military guard use the powered armor suits. Ready our cargo transports to prepare the modules for the base camp; we want the quarantine models to ensure maximum protection and containment.”

“Understood. Relaying orders now.”

Beak turned and began to leave, preparing to head this group. With him in charge, the Vice Host would have surety of protocols being followed.

As the call sounded throughout the levels, workers, scientists, medical staff and soldiers began to prepared, gathering their supplies and suits to make landfall. They were subject to very quick, very short briefings, providing what information they had garnered while the fleet moved into orbital position for launch and improve sensor capability. The massive cargo transports were being loaded by mechanical arms with medical supplies, equipment, food, clothing, beds, blankets, all of the inventory needed for a outpost to handle patients and refugees. The Oozori garrison selected one of their most veteran platoons, thirty members, who were equipped with the contained massive suits of power armor, sleek designs with blank black faceplates, granting the user filtration and protection from the outside for chemical, nuclear and biological agents, enhanced physical abilities due to the suits capabilities, all powered by an internal cold fusion reactor. They were loaded onto a dropship, while the rest pulled on suits, not as enduring or protective but with systems and material to block out the outside air and have tanks providing untainted air that would have to be replaced. Once prepared, the deck workers finishing prepping the ships and then vacated as the doors opened to outside space, the air pumped out to conserve as much as possible, and began launching, met with a protective squadron of fighters from the groups that were even now patrolling around the fleet. As they were preparing to deploy, Maroon got an idea and opened up the channel to fighter coordinators.

“Flight Deck, have a coordinator send a squadron down to the surface to do a reconnaissance run, just so we know the local area of around ten miles. Have them pinpoint key structures, locations and points of interest and come back.”

A confirmation was given and the group of coordinators, cybernetically enhanced Tezekians who are each given command of a squadron, using a mind-machine interface to reduce the cost of lives lost in fighter on fighter combat and improve coordination and ability of the fighters. One of them took their squadron of twelve fightercraft down, breaking through the constantly shifting grey clouds, the visual and sensor feeds buzzing and twitching with static as they were buffeted by the field that was in place in the atmosphere. The coordinator watched carefully as the squadron burst through the cloud cover and came upon the actual world and surface, moving the craft closer to get as best view as possible and returned after twenty minutes of flight and multiple circles around before returning above the atmosphere to transmit the data. As Maroon viewed the footage, which was also sent to Beak at the gathering point for the expedition, they could see that much of the ground seemed to be...empty and leeched, as if color had been drawn from it, a grayscale filter placed over the planet. Some spots had some of the strangely rare signs of life, even former, with starved animals and wilting plants denied nutrients and sunlight. There were dilapidated roads and minor buildings, showing decay and lack of maintenance, leading up to city that was showing lack of heat, motion or any sign of life. Patches of life still remained, some areas still retained some form of color and life, albeit it was slow and clearly diseased by how they stumbled around. The center point of activity noticed was an old inn and farm combination that show life signatures and motion, a couple miles outside of the city. There was the noticeable fact the heat of the planet was well below livable conditions, save for some areas that still retained some struggling heat and color.

Maroon had the bridge crew relay this to all members and spoke.

“New orders: set up camp close but not too close to the survivor's location. Establish camp, test quarantine protocols and systems, establish a perimeter. Once complete, you are to make contact with the survivor group while other groups scout and check the areas here, here and here-” Maroon, indicated with drawn lines on the map with a talon of a giant crack in the ground that seems unnatural, the city, and a dwindling forest that still held life. -and then report what you find. New orders will be relayed then. Be safe and be careful.”

A chorus of ayes was sent as Beak took over command, ordering the ships to move through the atmosphere. The coordinator who had made the run guided them in and remained nearby, patrolling, as the ships came to a hovering stop above the chosen location. Dead, gray grass and vegetation was crushed into dust as the cargo bays open, unleashing a soft beam of blue light, and large containers began to be dropped reaching to the end of the beam before pods deployed on the structure, keeping it hovering just above the ground. The dropships carrying the personnel began to deploy their own cargo and workers, wearing their dark black and green suits moved to grab them and move them into position, sliding each piece into position and settling it on the ground, removing the anti-gravity pod structure and bringing over more, creating solid metal foundation for the outpost. Once it had been established, then larger boxes and containers began to brought down, proving to be modular sections for buildings which were unpacked and solidified into preset spots into the foundation, enabling easy installation and stability should tremors or other physical upheaval assault the outpost. A cold fusion generator was installed in the middle and the lights of the various buildings shot on, and with four long thing poles established on the corners of the base, strong but thin energy fields surrounded the entire outpost, and covered the doors of each building. Once this was established, the workers and scientists began to bring in the supplies and establishing the two labs, the medical bay, the quarantine lab and holding center that covered most of the outpost, along with basic living quarters, bathrooms and eating areas. As they were handling that, the Oozori platoon installed defensive turrets and shield positions, structures of metal and shielding that can be used to observe and provided defensive emplacements.

The process of setting up would take a few hours, as each system was tested, and inspected to ensure no bit of infection, aerial or otherwise, could get into areas without being allowed or massive power failure, which redundant generators and power sources were being installed to deal with. Scientists were already breaking into groups, botanists taking samples of the dead plants and ground along with any water source nearby, and preparing as team for the forest gathering task, while others began to run samples of the air into their labs to determine if the air was infected or a vector for it. The platoon was splitting into fireteams to cover the various tasks being assigned. One was being assigned to the forest expedition, one to the fissure, one to the city and one for the survivor's hold out, with the remaining two serving as patrol and guards for the outpost. Upon establishment, a communication station was set up and more probes sent out to began cataloging and trying to find more information, areas of interest and the like, boosting their sensor net. As the hustle and bustle settled down from establishment to preparation, a scientist came up to Cyan as he was looking through a holopad regarding some initial findings on the planet's ecosystem and status.

“Head Scientist, our sensor net just picked up a massive storm center to our west, it appears to be a hurricane or perhaps lightning storm of some kind, massive as it is around the size of a continent but we couldn't determine exactly.”

A disapproving click as he turned his attention on the novice scientist. “What is making it so hard to determine?”

The other seemed to pale a bit but held his ground. “We tried scanning from the outside, but the electromagnetic interference is even more fierce than the one surrounding the planet, we couldn't make any headway into it. Upon doing so, we sent a trio of probes, one after the other, to provide more information and...we lost contact shortly upon entering the storm and could not get any sign of their status and they are either cut off or disabled as they did not come back when called. Due to this, we felt it prudent to not sent anyone one yet. Further, it would appear the storm is slowly making its way towards us.”

A pause as Beak considered the implications. There were too many unknowns for what was going on here and he could understand the look in Maroon's eyes when she challenged his insistence on coming here. Ice pooled into his gut, just slightly, giving him a slight shiver as something in his brain reacted to the idea of this storm and the situation. He shook it off, however, he had experienced it many times and had discovered a rational reason for everything. He would find one here as well.

“How long until it reaches us?”

“By current speed and trajectory, we estimate a week. I do apologize if I overstepped, but I sent a request for the squadron to do more recon to the north away from the storms trajectory to find us a location to move to.”

Cyan cawed in appreciation and clapped the younger Tezekian on the shoulder, who jumped but seemed to be relieved at seeing the grateful and proud way his feathers moved. “Good initiative, young one! That is outside of strict protocol but it is what I would have said to do. Tell your team to continue monitoring the storm and record any changes or updates. I would like you to come with me to the survivors. I will need a capable assistant.”

The other gripped their pad and bowed deeply, almost falling over. “Thank you for the opportunity, Head Scientist!”

Ignoring the other man, he continued to look over the information and began moving again, the other gratefully hopping after, struggling to contain himself enough to send the message. After a few more moments, the Oozori guards were prepared, and hover transports were trotted out and four groups left the outpost, shooting in different directions to begin covering the ground as quickly as possible. Above, Maroon watched the planet, eyeing the massive storm and the general situation, staring as if she could eventually pierce the strange veil the planet had and hoping beyond everything her scientists and technicians could find a way to break through this interference. Anything could go wrong down there and she could find herself sifting through a corpse-filled base with the lag in time. She had established a policy of hourly updates required from the base, with the squadron flying up to report before heading back down. If it reached an hour and half with no report, she had a fully company of Oozori troopers ready to deploy in assault gear to conduct a search and evacuation. She had done all she could, but she still wished there was more she could do.

Bothered still, was the question on her and all of their minds:

What was happening to this planet and where did all of the people and life go?
Last edited by Telros on Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:35 pm

The Farm
When Eylil had made the long journey to En-Sabk Ur, the Last Light Dimming, she had started travelling with hundreds. Her mother and father had bickered for a time over whether to take her brother or leave him behind. In the end, da'ummatu'umis had made the decision for them and they'd departed without him. She wondered if that initial indecision had been what eventually separated her from her parents. She'd arrived at En-Sabk Ur four days later than she should have. She'd waited a week before admitting that she would not be joined by them.

En-Sabk Ur had been much brighter when she'd arrived. Polished marble walls shone with all the brilliance the city could muster, candles and mirrors had adorned every free surface, and roaring bonfires fought off the frost and cold and that all-consuming greyness that lapped hungrily at the city's walls. In her last few days within the half-collapsed walls, Eylil had been lucky to encounter so much as smouldering ash in their place. So few had the strength to maintain them, and they were rarely willing to venture outside anymore. DMasla tu did not allow for it, the people said. Eylil thought it was a silly superstition, DMasla tu had long abandoned the air and earth - father had said so. If it lived anywhere still, it was indoors and not in the outside world. Eylil had learned not to care, but when the cold within the city had grown too great and DMasla'tu made its presence known she wrapped up warm and headed for the only place within walking distance known to have warmth.

Eylil scratched at her eyes, relieving the pressure that started to build there, and looked back towards En-Sabk Ur. She remembered coming to the city once, when it had still been called Sabk Ur, on holiday. It had been her and her father's favourite activity to climb the wall and leap the fifty metres into the waters below. The risk of missing the deep water had paled in comparison to the rush of warmth that swallowed her when she plunged into the ocean. Her brother had always stayed with their mother, exploring the alleyways and underground passages of the city during the day, and sequestering himself away in a museum in the evening. Now those museums were picked clean of whatever could bee burned, and what small part of the ocean hadn't been drained away had turned to ice. A tiny part of her still wanted to make the jump like she had as a child.

Sabk Ur had been a quiet city at the busiest of times, an ancient relic of the pre-industrial era, from the days of kings and empires. Eylil's family had only ever visited the city because of her brother's love of ancient history. He'd frequently styled himself as the reborn son of Elulu, come to unite the world and make Sabk Ur the centre of civilisation again. Eylil smiled at that. Everyone still alive had gone to En-Sabk Ur to escape DMasla'tu, so in a way her brother had gotten his wish. Or half of it, anyway. Until, as always happened in places as large as EN-Sabk Ur, the city had fallen. Eylil and the other survivors on the farmstead had heard the rioting and seen the smoke for three days, even all those miles away. When Eylil and her new guardian had gone to the city to look for survivors, she'd wept upon seeing the last of its historic walls shattered all across the frozen sea.

She kicked at a stone, turning back to see the half-light cast from the bonfire at the farmstead. She'd wandered too far - again - and knew that Abbat would come looking for her if she didn't return back quickly. No books, no games, just bleak and pointless survival.

"The colours will come back, little one," Abbat had said on her first night in the farm. "The world will thaw and the sun will shiny again. You'll see." Eylil was not entirely convinced.

She rubbed her eyes again, scratching them so she could clearly see the path back to the house. The cold always made them itch, the dryness of the air irritating them to no e-

Something moved.

Eylil dropped to her stomach, cold stone freezing her skin through her thin clothing. She held her breath, shuffling along the ground until she felt suitable obscured by a mound of soil and ice. She could definitely see something moving, far out. Blurred as it was, there was a shape moving between outcroppings of rock and waves frozen in mid-movement. If she could see it, she thought, it couldn't have been an iklu'masla. Although that did little to calm her nerves, it was at least something. Another survivor, perhaps?

She found a series of rocks on the outside of the wall and began to climb, slowly and carefully, until her feet touched down on permafrost hardened soil. She rushed behind a large rock, crouching low and pulling her jacket tight in around her. Inch by inch she moved herself closer to where she had seen the moving blur, trying to keep hidden as best she could. If it was a survivor, she could play the hero and bring them to safety. If it was...not, she'd have to run fast to warn Abbat and the others anyway. A hero either way.

The City
En-Sabk Ur

En-Sabk Ur had always been a ruin. The origin of civilisation had always been at least partly built of crumbling stone and collapsed monuments for as long as anyone could remember. The old city walls formed a near perfect boundary between the old and the new, with only a few modern structures in the very centre of the city to break the division. The approach to En-Sabk Ur was often hailed as one of the most beautiful parts of the city, as the wild jungles gave way to a vast plain of carefully manicured grass and plants leading up to the outer ring, a single road that acted as a border between civilisation and nature dotted with evenly spaced monuments, statues, and works of art. No matter where in the city one went, you could always see some evidence of its ancient, incomprehensibly old nature just a street away. Collapsed coliseums and stone buildings left untouched, giving the city its unique and thoroughly beloved aesthetic. Now those same century old ruins were joined by broken glass and collapsed steel. Cars were abandoned in the street, drained of their fuel and caked in a thin sheen of frozen moisture - barely enough to be properly called ice. The cold had long since shattered any windows in the few dozen skyscrapers that were left standing, and riot born fires had stripped the structures of paint and beauty. The city was beyond a ruin now - it was a wreck.

Evidence of violence decorated the cityscape: scorch marks from fires, discarded clothing torn and blood soaked. Shell casings. Knives. There was no sign of the people.

As the detachment approached the city, the sound of their approach was suffocated in the thick, soup like atmosphere. The air seemed to fight against their approach, and eddies of mist would whirl in their wake. Evidence of their intrusion that fell to the ground and vanished. The heat of their movement and suits broke the fragile frost of the ground, letting slight puddles of water - barely more than droplets - form for mere seconds before sinking into the ground and turning back into permafrost. The once luscious fields on the approach to the city were a graveyard of dried out plants and wildlife killed by the cold, their corpses preserved in the frigid temperatures - forever providing evidence to their desperate trek to the warmth of the city, and a chance at survival. The grass and plants had all but faded into dust, but small patches remained amidst the fine layer of ash and detritus. Frozen solid by the cold, the moisture in their structures forcing them into wretched shapes and angles, into vicious sculptures of things barely recognisable as flora.

The streets of En-Sabk Ur had always been tight and poorly suited to vehicles. Only the outer ring of the city bore burned out husks of machinery and modes of transport, before the roads narrowed into alleys and pedestrian only walkways barely a kilometre from the city's outskirts. To the south, facing the carcass of an ocean, the ancient city walls had been blown open. The once proud palace, so meticulously kept intact over the centuries, stood in the city centre surrounded by skyscrapers and tourist traps. Its every surface was pockmarked by gunfire, stained by fire, or coated in cuneiform graffiti. Its stained glass windows had all but exploded when the cold had gotten unbearable for the ancient glass to withstand - long before the violence had even attempted to do the same. Here, it could be seen, the people had made some kind of last stand. No doubt trying to stay safe from the riots and warfare that had so obviously claimed the rest of the city. Blood sprayed the walls of the palace's entrance, and a makeshift barricade of stone and wood blocked the entrance. There was only a single body, slumped against the outside of the barricade, carrying a revolver with a single shot fired.

The Forest
Like En-Sabk Ur, the once illustrious forest which had decorated the landscape around the city was barely a shadow of its former self. Most of the treeline had collapsed, bark shattered as the water froze in the tree's inner structure. A few trees had been reduced to dried husks instead of freezing solid, and had collapsed into piles of dry ash and shards of dead wood. What hadn't keeled over from frost, or been obliterated by desiccation, looked more like glass structures than actual foliage. The treetops were home to vast plates of ice, curiously stretching out from each tree's peak and poisoned by a hatchwork of black veins embedded in the ice. In some places, these strands broke free and dangled in varying lengths from hyaline branches. Ropes barely as thick as a strand of hair starved the forest of light, so that even without its former canopy the place was choked in shadows and darkness. The sound of the patrol's footsteps here was all but muted, what should have been the heavy thud of a suit or the snap of ice instead reduced to a paltry echo - as though every noise was sourced from a dozen metres away, and not the feet of the intruders.

As they broke the perimeter of the forest and were shielded from what little sunlight the world had left, the ground grew slick and smooth. As though polished to a perfect finish, built of stone and ice and dead plantlife. Unlike the plains outside the city, there was no wildlife here to be seen. The tree branches showed nests and holes that should have housed the corpses of animals, but they were all empty. Burrows in the ground were flooded with mists as gases congealed and threatened to turn properly to liquid, but there were no carcasses or frozen bodies inside to be drowned in them. Scanners fluctuated, radios intermittently burst into life - a cacophony of alien languages and the unmistakeable sounds of news reports - only to be smothered in static again seconds later. The light of any source they carried died barely a dozen metres out, and the darkness in the forest coiled like ink in the air around it, a thick fog the colour of ebony. In the distance, deep in that all-consuming dark, strange lights glinted like so many false stars.

The Fissure
Drawing close to the fissure was an exercise in patience and endurance. The ground leading up to it sloped down towards its gaping maw, and had been polished clean by some impossible force. A single treacherous slip could easily send one careening wildly towards the edge, and every step would have had to been carefully measured and planted before taking the next. A slow but consistent breeze blew in towards the fissure, and as the party drew closer it quickened its pace. Never quite qualifying as a 'wind', the calm breeze eventually stole down past the edge of the surface, drawing all the air of the world down with it. At the very edge of the cliff face, right on the cusp of the crack in the world, the ground was smooth as glass and hard like concrete. At the top of the cliff the rock and soil was held in place by a network of ice and strange netting. The walls of the fissure were decorated by a pattern of this curious material, like clotted oil that grew from a beautiful pattern to a solid wall of almost-green, almost-black further down the fissure's walls. Just beneath the slick surface of the structure, tiny strands of flowing light were hinted at. As though all the colours of the imagined universe existed just beneath the surface of ebony-jade that seemed to hold the walls of the fissure together, flowing like water and ink and blood down into the depths of the fissure, where a thick oily fog clouded the bottom of the rent earth.

Along the side of the fissure wall, a short distance away, a pathway seemed to make itself apparent. Hardly obvious enough to have been carved, the path was never the less a clear way down below that blanket of roiling grey and black clouds that smothered the deeper parts of the fissure. It began in fits and starts, a hideous amalgamation of steps and smooth path that continuously turned back on itself, growing more refined and ramp like as it descended, until it was lost beneath the fog bank. The strange netting which scaled the walls was still present, even here, but in sparser patches. It seemed to prefer to clamber over the path rather than claim it, forming a kind of shell around it to leave a pattern of weak lights in the stone below. One walking down the path could look up and see the growth's underside, and would no doubt be mesmerised by the unearthly flow of pure colour. A medley of lights that danced across the makeshift roof, before disappearing into the deeper parts of the almost-stone structure.

Far below, deep in the fissure and hidden from view, rushing water could be heard.
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Telros
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 29, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Telros » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:01 am

The Farm
Fireteam Red

The walk to the farmstead was creepy to say the least as Claws of Green determined on the journey. On any planet, there was some sign or sound of life to reassure one that things were alright. The chirping of insects, the soft whisper of wind, the roaring overhead of aerial traffic or the murmurs of conversation. There was no such thing on this planet, not anymore. The shrieking cold of the wind tore at them, as if the planet itself was reaching out for more things to grab with its clutch of death. They had seen a few corpses of animals, dead from cold or starvation which was strange in of itself. With a world obviously collapsing from a mixture a plague and environmental disaster, the scientists were thinking it was linked, one would have imagined riots and conflicts would have left more death, with desperate animals going to attack in areas they normally wouldn't. But again no sign, which left the fireteam wary and suspicious.

All things considered, while the scans and tests indicated the air was breathable still, she was thankful for their contained armor suits. While not quite power armor that the Oozori Blackguards or their own Special Forces, its NBC suite was top notch and she was never before so glad to taste sterile air moving through her lungs. The Oozori with her were silent as was their way, but she could even see in their quiet chitters and the hunching up of their greater shoulders, they were just as spooked as they were. But of course they couldn't show the Tezekians that; they were the great and ancient Oozori, afraid of nothing and no one. A chuckle died in her throat as a flash of amusement passed over her at the thought. She was proud to have served with them but it still didn't mean they weren't ridiculous from time to time.

Her communication suite beeped with a request for a channel with headquarters. With a loud clack over the squad comm, the team came to a halt and began to scan the horizon as she opened her side. Claws of Obsidian responded on the other side, commander of the forces garrisoning their outpost.

”Fireteam Red, status report.”

“Fireteam reporting. Sergeant Green here. We haven't seen anything of major import yet; we can confirm the story the scientists have been giving us about the surrounding areas. We are seeing vast swathes of wasteland and frozen areas. Strangely enough, we have few to any corpses; none matching the native species of this world, some native fauna and animals, but they seem to have died from starvation and cold than any hostile death. To echo the other teams, I'm sure, just where the hell did everything go?”

”It matches the other reports, Sergeant. Now, as you were briefed, we have reports of life signs and movements at the farmstead ahead, so keep your eyes open. The environmental and plague damage is being posited as extensive at the moment by HQ, so we don't know how the natives of this world will react. If we receive any major updates, we shall keep you informed. Copy?”

Forming a fist with her talons, she swept her fist around once, catching the eye of one of the squad, who pressed a tone command on their HUD, sounding the return to advancing. Standing up from their positions, they began to move forward.

“Copy loud and clear, if we have anything to report, we will-”

Sergeant. The Oozori buzzing tone forced its way over the channel, drawing her attention away.

We are reading movement up ahead. One quick burst, followed by another one. Orders?

A hand gripping on her weapon, she keyed the channel with Obsidian. “HQ, standby. We have reports of movement. Opening link to provide helmet feed. Will update when necessary.”

”We'll be watching, Fireteam Red. Be safe.” And with that he was gone. She turned her full attention to the skeleton of a road leading the way to the farmstead.

“Where was it?”

Without any movement or sound, her HUD updated with a point near a ruined wall.

There. It appears to be small but heat signatures indicate a large animal or a small child. The buzzing makes it hard to determine.

“Very well. Keep your eyes out, but keep the guns down. If we have survivors, we don't want to cause a conflict unnecessarily. Haxxan, you take point.”

The Oozori mentioned nodded, moving his gun to clamp on the side of his armor and proceeded to move forward. The rest casually forced themselves into a relaxed posture, away on their armor but still scanning around as they followed. The child would eventually see the forms of three large beetle-like beings and one bird-like person covered in metal walking in the direction of her position.

After they had moved closed to her position on the wall, they all stopped as the lead beetle man spoke,the tone growling and electronic.

We sense you, young one. Can you come out so we may speak? We wish to aid in your situation.

The City
Fireteam Green

Claws of Purple could only grimace at the devastation they found when they came to the city. The scans had managed to reveal the natives had apparently left much of this obviously ancient city alone, preferring to build around the ruins of their past rather than over them. One could see dead coliseums, forgotten monuments and the skeletons of old homes. Interspersed were the more modern buildings of the civilization that lived on this planet, and they were wrecked. Cars littered the streets, damage from fire, fighting and riots could be seen in damaged statues, walls, and over-turned vehicles. Graffiti of various kinds could be seen around, the last gasp of the population here as they were consumed by whatever madness the disease and cold had caused. However, as they had received from HQ about reports regarding the lack of people, there were no sign of bodies or any organic detritus of conflict save for some blood-soaked rags and weapons. It was as if the people of this city were like the fires they started, blazed bright, left their mark and were blown like dust into the wind. It was all like the horror holovids he had watched in his younger years, and if he was pressed to admit it, occasionally even now. He loved the tension of the mystery and the threat, as the heroes worked against strange and impossible odds to confront the threat. But here, it was brought to life in a way that chilled his veins and made it hard to draw his breath.

The air had changed as they had approached the city, it had become misty and foggy, almost a thick soup in the air. But there was more to it than that, there was just a slight sense of resistance whenever they moved into it. As if it was a solid wall of something and then gave way before their more solid forms. It was almost as if in its death throes, the planet was alive and trying to push them away from what they sought, leaving it alone to its fate. Even the steps they took were consumed, the light frost melting under the humming warmth of their suits before freezing once more in a new configuration. It was a place that seemed to beg to be left alone and, despite his interest in the tense and unknown, he wanted nothing more than to obey. The smartbeaks could rant all they want about science and progress and explanations; sometimes it was best to leave things alone. They didn't have to walk through the field of death that was the animals and wild life that the cold had finished off. The lack of any animal sightings from other teams was evident here; they had come to the city where the people and the warmth had been, only to die and remain unlike their sentient masters.

Should we contact command, Sergeant? It would appear that this city is dead and the people have gone.

Purple shook himself a little, having gotten so enthralled with the sight of this doomed city that he had forgotten his command for a moment. Clucking quietly to himself to clear his head, he cleared his throat.

“Not yet. We need to find some sign of what happened to the people. We have seen signs of a riot, Kloran, but not where they went. We continue forward.”

The team fell silent once more, all discussion having been considered pointless after the slew of animal dead leading into the city. The steel skeletons of transport gave way to tight streets and alleys, remnants of the past further maintained. After twenty minutes of searching and finding their way in a city with no real map, they came to a cross roads with clear sights to its parts. One direction led south towards the frozen corpse of a sea, having dried up or becoming more grotesque death throes of this dying world, the great walls of the city having collapsed and been destroyed. The other pathway led to a potential clue, as a whispered shout from one of the team directed his attention. It was a palace, clearly the center of government, and it too had not been spared from the riots and the cold. Its windows were shattered in, with more graffiti and signs of rioting. A barricade had been established at the entrance, made of stone and wood and it was there they finally saw a body, one of the natives.

“Team, secure that barricade. Kloran, find a way around the barricade, you two keep your eyes open for any movement or disturbances. I'll inspect the body and contact HQ.”

A barrage of confirmations as he keyed open the channel, the deadpan voice of Obsidian providing familiar comfort.

”Fireteam Green, this is HQ.”

“HQ, status is still green. We have penetrated through the city to the center. Can confirm the initial reports; we have signs of riots and conflict, something happened here. We had lots of dead animals and plant life leading to the city, it looked like the cold got to them too as they tried to follow where the natives went. We hadn't found any sign of the bodies, like the other teams, but we have found the palace and it has been barricaded. We suspect a last stand scenario; but we have found an actual native corpse here. We're moving to investigate.”

”Morbid news, Sergeant but at least we have a lead on what's going on here. Collect any samples you can from the body and any organic material you can find. You are authorized to make entry into the palace, through the barricade if necessary, but be careful. We're getting some strange readings from that area.”

“Understood, HQ. Fireteam Green out.” Purple moved to the body, preparing to move it over to inspect when the clink of metal drew his attention, revealing the hand gripping the revolver, his eyes moving to the bullet hole in the head. Suicide? Perhaps ran out of food and was left out to the cold and couldn't handle it? Just what were they experiencing here? He further supported his theory by checking the gun and seeing only one shot had been fired. On his left, he could feel Kloran plodding up to him.

No other path inside, other barricades or intact walls. If we wish to investigate, we will need to remove the barricade.

“Then we go through. Team, dismantle this barricade, quietly if you can. We're not in a rush but don't take too long. We don't want to be here any longer than we have to. Jakxi, help me get some samples from this body to store with the others. HQ wants us to gather what we can.”

As the two began to investigate the body, the others began to carefully remove the barricade as best they could, the enormous strength of the Oozori coming in handy as they made a path to move in.

The Forest
Fireteam Blue

As reports came in from other teams, even Claws of Periwinkle could only add so much from what they were seeing. The forest, if it could even be called that anymore, was dead, most of it dust on the ground mixed with the permafrost. Those that remained were twisted ice statuesque representations of the life they once embodied. They were careful in proceeding, despite meeting no resistance or sign of life, former or current, on their way here. The Oozori shuffled to and fro, clearly nervous as they came to the edge of this place.

“Team, check your audio systems again.”

Sergeant, we have already done so and found no issue-

“That is an order, Oozori. Check. Them. Again.”

Akaran turned to gaze at her, his height obscuring her form, but she raised herself up, lightly laying her rifle on her shoulder, her eyes visible from her helmet, a rare golden color. It was not a color often seen in Tezekians but those who had them tended to be leaders and beings of note in the Directorate so a local legend had sprung up about them and she was not eager to disappoint.

“Is there a problem, Private?”

A beat passed, then another, with the moaning of the shifting ice surrounding them, as the other two clicked to each other and watched the showdown. Akaran was one of the Oozori who most resented their status as vassals to the Tezekians, feeling they should have their own path and say in life, that enough had been done to pay the debt of the war. Periwinkle had been clear to disabuse him of that notion and there had been many spats, and not a few incident reports, before he had managed to accept she was in charge. It felt so very temporary, so she took no chances in reminding him whenever he stood out of line.

A rumble filled his frame before he turned away. None, ma'am. We will check the audio systems.

With a victorious coo, she turned back to look around them again. As they had approached, the sounds around them, even of their own feet, had become hard to make out, she thought they had passed into some strange field or installation because of it, or that they were being followed before realizing it was their steps they were hearing away from them. All checks had shown their systems were working fine, but still she had to be sure. A sharp gesture with a talon had them moving past the aperture into this forest and then they were through. Their flashlights from their suits moved over the trees and area, this place was darker than anywhere else, even with the fading light, for some reason.

By the Rift, what is that?

She sharply turned to see one of the Oozori fixing their light on the treetops, and they could see large plates of ice, seemingly too large to be supported by the frozen frames. And just barely able to be seen, glinting in the artificial light, they could see black veins through the ice, coming out of the trees and even hanging in strands. They were hard to make out, as their lights barely went a couple feet out, when they should be able to cover ten times more than that.

“Akaran-”

I have already checked them too, and they are operating as normal. Whatever is happening here is causing the issue, not our systems. Perhaps these...veins are to blame.

A grunt of disbelief came from her as she hefted her rifle into a better position. “Well, stay tight, im going to contact HQ-” What she was going to say was lost as when she opened her comm channel, it buzzed and flickered and loud voices burst into life; by the way her squad jerked around, they could all hear it.

”Yart ru havos se akersaan-Sskar ouvrut kan! Sskar ouvrut kan!-The government has sent out a plea for everyone to stay calm and remain in their homes. The drop in temperatures across the planet are being investigated by every mind at their disposal-Riots in the streets, panicking ensues as the government fails to stop the drop in temperatures-HAKAN GAR VEKT!-”

A burst of languages in alien tongues and common burst onto their systems, clearly people talking and news reports for a few seconds before fading away. They all froze, quickly looking around to see what had happened, and what could have caused that.

”Fireteam Blue, this is HQ, do you read?”

The voice shook her out of stupor and she began to issue orders.

“Akaran, the rest of you, look around to try and find what the hell caused that.” A press of a key.

“T-This is Fireteam Blue, Sergeant Periwinkle reporting. We have begun to inspect the forest region, most of it is dead and destroyed or completely frozen. However, it would seem the trees that are frozen are sprouting some black veins of some material; we are collecting images to send to you now. Do you want us to collect?”

”No. Orders from the Head Scientist are for any finds like this to be handled by dedicated teams. Leave a beacon and we will inform him to have one prepared. Anything else?”

“Well...when we tried to make contact, our comms were blasted with chatter.”

There was a pause on the other line so she continued. “We heard..voices, speaking in alien and common languages, and what sounded like...news reports of this world, about the dropping temperatures and their inability to stop it. We are sending over the recording over to you and are conducting a search to find the source. Our systems have been experiencing strange issues and weakening of their functions since we arrived.”

'Apologies, Sergeant. Your connection had to be reestablished. We do read you and have informed the Vice Host. You are to proceed with utter caution; if things reach a dangerous point, you are to leave and more dedicated teams may be assigned. This will be at your discretion. Copy?”

The rest of the team came back from their scouring and she jerked her head for them to come to her. “Understood, HQ. Fireteam Blue out.” Periwinkle crossed her arms as Akaran moved up.

We have searched the area; no signs of hardware or any electronics. We have found many hollows in trees and ground where animals should be but are not. Orders?

Her gut was like ice and her soldier instinct told her to leave this place, that this wasn't right but she had her orders and her pride dictated that they face whatever this is. It was probably just the electromagnetic layer of the atmosphere dying, there was always an explanation.

“We move forward. Keep your eyes open, and note anything you see, especially more of that black vein.” The rest nodded and formed a tight semi circle, sticking close as they moved. Periwinkle unclipped a beacon from her belt and activated it before setting it under the largest of the trees with the veins before following.

The Fissure
Fireteam White

“FUCK!”

Pinks talons scattered on the sheer polished surface of the slope going down into this place as one of the pitons gave away under her boot, and raw, primal fear filled her mouth before a giant hand grabbed her under each armpit and lifted her. She was brought up into the embrace of Yzran who carefully inspected her as her chest heaved and spots danced in front of her eyes. The other replaced the piton and ensured it was stable before she was eased back down. She took a moment to breathe and calm down, her position secure and fight or flight response receding. It had been like this ever since they arrived; the first half of the trek had been fine, getting there was simple, though sobering as the isolation and slow death of this world closed in on them like walls of intent. When they had arrived, however, they were faced with all slopes pointing down into the black maw into the world. A strange mix of ice and some kind of netting was allowing them a spot to start from; a sample was taken of the netting for study before they began to process of setting up foot and hand holds for them to climb down the sheer surface. It had been a fascinating thing to look at and may have been distracting her when her foot slipped on the loose piton. The walls had this edge of coruscating colors, the rainbow reflected in the strange ebony green surface, with the flow similar to stopped oil pulsing behind it. Like everything else, it all ran down towards the hole in the ground, as if drawn there. The wind, if it could be called that anymore, was also being strangely pulled in towards the hole, indicating something was causing the floor and or there was an exit somewhere else.

Sergeant, are you alright?

It took a moment to come out of her thoughts, but her heart had slowed down considerably. “Yes. Yes! I'm fine, you can set me down again.” With an amused click, she was set back down and continued the routine of setting the way. They had spoken to HQ about what they had seen and even tried to deploy a sensor drone into the fissure but it fizzled out and fell, landing with a clear splash that was water, suffering the fate of the drones in the storm. They were told to proceed carefully and report any findings. If the hole prevented communication, they were to stay as long as they felt necessary to get a sense and some samples before leaving. Dedicated teams would be sent to get more of an idea. After an hour of agonizing set up, they finally set up a pathway to the edge of the fissure, and it was there, almost mocking them, there was a strange almost path set up for them. It was halting at first, but seemed to gain in strength and formed a ramp for them to descend.

The Oozori with her stared into the rift, trying to pierce the black fog and smoke that swirled around the chasm. She could sense their concern; unlike other officers, she took the time to care for her team and it had paid off over the years for them to form a bond with her and trust her, at least as much as any Oozori could admit to doing so. Still, she couldn't help but stare at the netting which growing along the walls and above them as they began their descent, The pure flows of color and light drew her in, seeming to hint that they had the answer and if she would just follow. Yzan would occasionally nudge her, get her to pay attention where she was going, becoming more concerned by her distraction.

As they continued their path, they could hear the rushing water they suspected before and moved quickly to find some solid ground a the bottom. As lost the light from above, lights were turned on and recorders began to follow their helmet cams, taking in what they were seeing.

Rethan
Minister

Founded: Aug 09, 2006
Corporate Police State

Postby Rethan » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:14 pm

The Farm
The things became clearer as they drew closer to Eylil, their blurred outline become stark against the misted, oily landscape behind them. Eylil found herself rubbing her eyes to the point of aching, and forced her hands down by her side. The things, neither her own people nor iklu'masla, made a sound. To her it sounded like a language, but it was not one she recognised from any dialect of her country. Or, indeed, her world. Whatever was speaking did not sound natural, she could hear the clear electronic nature of its voice even through the muffled thickness of the air. They were definitely calling to her, whatever they were saying, which meant running was no longer an option. Nor was hiding, it seemed.

Slowly, purposefully, she rose up from behind her hiding place and stood in full view of the Things. They were wearing armour, that much was clear, but it was so unlike the armour she’d seen soldiers wearing in En-Sabk Ur. The shape of these Things was….not human. Were they a new form of iklu’masla - or worse, da’ummatu’umis - and if so, did that mean she was already as good as gone? Figuring there was no sense in worrying about such things, her best course was to assume these newcomers, these soldiers, these aliens (for what else could they be?) were here to help. Eylil raised a shaky hand into the air, inwardly chastising herself for not being able to keep her nerves in check. First her right hand, then her left, went into the air with her palms facing them in greeting. “I am unarmed,” she thought, “please don’t kill me.” She resisted the urge to scratch at her eyes and the burning sensation in her chest, keeping her hands raised high. She glanced down only enough to keep her footing as she worked her way towards the newcomers, keeping her hands just above her head as she did so.

“An hamati et? An akannu kataru et?” she asked. Are you rescuers? Are you here to help?. Her voice shook and broke more than once, but at least it was audible. She been afraid it would be no more than a whisper, which would have been swept away by the poisonous silence hanging in the air. She hadn’t understood them when they had spoken, so it was unlikely they could understand her, but so long as they were speaking nobody was killing anyone else. The world started to grow dim, and all at once thoughts of peaceful communication fled Eylil’s mind. The sun was setting, and what little light it provided would be gone in minutes. She glanced over her shoulder, to the spot of light on the horizon which denoted the farm. Which signified safety.

She dashed forward, driven by abject fear instead of bravery. “Tehemey! Ina barari tehemey!” They come! They come at night! She shrieked and grabbed one of the things by what she assumed was a hand, pulling desperately in the direction of the farm. “Abatu!” Run!

The City
Dismantling the barricade would not prove to be a difficult challenge. Most of its structure consisted of furniture and rock broken from the inner walls of the palace itself. Once the outer layer of wooden planks fn slabs of rock had been removed, the rest caved away almost entirely by itself.

It revealed a single hallway stretching deep into the palace, and descending as it did so. Occasionally rooms branched off from the main passage, offices and storage closets left strewn with paper work and shattered desks, but eventually the hallway levelled off and split at a t-junction. To the left was a single metal door, once barred from the outside but now that barricade had broken and the door was free to open. The concrete around it was charred, and the metal itself was warped, revealing that a fire had raged behind the door at some point. In the opposite direction was the main room of the palace, the screens which had acted both as light sources and false windows had all been shattered, and several hung from their wiring, scraping the wall where they hung free. All around the room, laying on the floor and across makeshift beds and tables, were close to one hundred corpses. Each and every one was moderately preserved by the cold, showing their half starved nature and the blackness of their lips. From the near unanimous foetal position they all lay in, clawing at their stomachs in apparent agony, and the blackness of their teeth and lips it was obvious they had all been poisoned. With no signs of struggling, resistance, or violence there was only one apparent conclusion.

In the other room, blackened by fire, was a similarly morbid sight. Every inch of the room was covered in soot and ash and a layer of scattered bones almost a foot deep. Scorch marks reached up the wall and the lighting in the ceiling had exploded from the heat. Skeletons lay about the room, falling, or fallen, apart. In the far corner from the entrance two half burned corpses had miraculously survived. One larger was half turned away from the pit of bones and oil canisters in the centre of the room, shielding the smaller corpse cradled in its arms. The largest amount of the skeletons were clustered around the door.

On the back of the door, and the wall around it, hundreds of scratch marks and patches of dried blood gave horrific evidence - they had all been burned alive.

The Forest
The ground cracked beneath the tread of the fireteam. Ice, frost and mud broke to reveal layer of mirrored black stone just beneath, slick and polished. Behind the obsidian sheen, tiny dancing lights swam into existence before fading, giving only tiny moments of light and colour to the ebony stone. All around the soldiers, however, the pulsing orbs of coloured light eluded them, always past the next clutch of trees. Always just over the crest of a hill. Black veins drifted in unfelt winds as though alive, draping across armour and visor, breaking and falling to the forest floor where they puffed into vapour. Mist coiled and grasped at the team’s legs. The canopy above them, ice and dead wood and dark ink, became more and more engulfed in rivers of the dark veins. It flowed, in pulses, like thick ink through the thin ice. Each pulse dragged with it a barely visible stream of detritus and half dissolved animal corpses.

The light was all but useless, stretching out mere feet before disappearing into the mist and darkness of the forest. Occasionally a tree would crack from the cold, a sharp snap in the distance that refused to echo. But all else was silent.

Following the pulsing rivers in the canopy, the team would eventually come to a clearing. Gouges in the soil showed where trees had once stood, before they had vanished. The trails of their roots were visible in the sunken earth, where the foliage had not been uprooted - but dissolved. At the centre of the clearing, half hanging from the canopy (now entirely wrought in a web of obsidian coloured, grossly pulsing inks) was an obelisk. Strands reach out from the obelisk like limbs, like roots of its own, and plunged into the earth but the main body twisted about itself suspended in mid air. It looked, for all the world, like some hideous crown of thorns. A monument of tortured perfection that looked as though it might scream in pain were it gifted with a mouth. The rivers pulsed, pouring sludge into its centre and yet it refused to overflow, or leak. Hanging in the middle of that twisting agony of knots and thorns and cruel geometry, a pulsing orb of that black ink spun and dripped and flaked. As though it could not decide if it were liquid or solid or some abominable hybrid of the two. But more unnaturally still, that darkness glowed. A heart of dim, impossible colours. Beneath the cracks and whorls in the orb, a flash of something that might be red, a shade that was almost blue, a light that looked like hunger.

Here the radios went dead, no more bursts of static or alien tongues. Behind the treelines the lights ceased to form. The monument only whined. In the darkness of the first, there was a single loud and sudden sound.
SNAP

The Fissure
As the team drew closer to the base and the fog closed in around them, the river’s sound became disjointed. There was still something flowing, certainly, and with great pace. But whatever it was did not flow as smoothly as water might. There was the occasional crack, or snap. Even more rarely a sound like shrieking, grating metal. As the pathway flattened out at the bottom of the chasm and the wall of netting merged with the floor to provide a clear field of movement, the light obscuring fog seemed to retreat and grant the fireteam a greater view of the area they now found themselves in.

The chasm was immense down here, far wider than it appeared from above as the walls curved into a ceiling that housed the chasm the team had looked down from above. The open floor extended for a kilometre in every direction at least, and was smooth as glass. At apparently random points, rivers of something dark and half solid broke the walls and flowed to a pit just off centre of the floor. And, as the team had possibly come to expect, it was not water that flowed. The fluid was thick, stringy, and had the barest film across its top. Instead of being smooth as one would expect, the film was sharp and broken like a sea of glass and broken metal. It seemed to be this film, these random interspersions of sharpness that caused the occasional snapping sounds that could be heard from above. The liquid rivers themselves were a conglomeration of odourless fluid, raven coloured and bubbling. Something so thick, so near congealed, should not have flowed so quickly across so uneven a surface.

But there was another sound, the rare grating whine. This close to the rivers the whines could be heard to be muffled, coming from beneath the thick flowing oil. And whenever the sound could be heard...something splashed beneath the surface.

Rising out of the pit at the centre was a single ovoid mass. Its jade-black surface mirrored the material that climbed the walls of the chasm, but it had none of the webbings smoothness. Instead the thing looked half broken, great pieces of it missing as though torn away. Even some parts of it looked openly unfinished. Circling the ovoid, the fireteam would see that parts of it, quite clearly unattached to the main body, were floating freely in the air - unmoving and as solidly in place as the main structure, completely uncaring of gravity. Occasionally there would be a snap, a cracking sound tinged with pain, and one of these pieces would change shape, liquefying and then deciding on a new shape (or, sometimes, to rejoin with the whole).
As Was Devoured Shall Devour | As Was Buried Shall Bury

Return to International Incidents