NATION

PASSWORD

Live for a Century (IC|Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 26, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Live for a Century (IC|Closed)

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:32 am

Tiflis Uyezd, Tiflis Governorate
Russian Empire, 10th of November
1907 CE (Old Style)

Russian
Georgian

It was a time of great upheaval in the lands of Russia.

Only two years had passed since the Revolution of 1905, after which the Okhrana had begun cracking down on and hunting those even remotely exhibiting subversive thoughts. Add to that Russia's stunning defeat in the Russo-Japanese War that very nearly broke Moscow's authority indirectly, and the Empire's wide expanse became a hotbed of revolutionary activities - especially those of communists.

Sufficiently far away from both Saint Petersburg and the bulk of action in the Russo-Japanese War, one would have thought the Caucasus was to be largely spared from seeing too much bloodshed, as in the rest of the Russian Empire. Even this had also been proven to be wishful thinking, when the 1907 Tiflis bank robbery occurred. Though only discussed in hushed voices, it was common knowledge that the communists did it. There was also little doubt of the large number of casualties.

However, life carried on, despite the grievances and losses to Russia - the empire and the people alike. At least, in the eyes of mortician Saba Sharadze.

In Tiflis, few had not heard of Sharadze's name. He was, first and foremost, a man very skilled at his job. He possessed the nigh-miraculous skill to make the dead look like they were only sleeping - and often, the body would look finer in look than the person in life, regardless of its condition before he worked. This made him just the right man for Orthodox Christian funerals, which strictly forbade cremation. But he was sought after not for talent, but partly because he was a man of charity. The fees for his services were so little in sum that they might as well have been donations. He was keen on giving mental support to his "customers". And above all, he gave his help not just to Orthodox Christians, but to people of any faith. For a society so dominated by Orthodoxy and in which he was so valued, he was certainly an unorthodox individual.

These combined circumstances allowed him a humble abode in Tiflis, and a modest life just above the poverty line. Old Sharadze was seemingly very content with such a lifestyle.

Of course, there was much, much more than met the eye when the old mortician is concerned.

As winter drew near, Tiflis had been becoming gradually colder and colder by the day. Sitting alone by his table in the cold evening on the 10th of November, Sharadze lit his pipe - the only item with which he had survived many winters in Tiflis, without much need for his fireplace unless when visitations by guests mandated him to.

That evening was such an occasion. A few knocks at the door attracted old Sharadze's attention. He opened it to find a man with black hair, wearing a hat and clothes barely sufficient to walk in the cold of the outdoors.

"Pardon for my intrusion.", the man said. Before him, he was greeted by the darkness of Sharadze's place; and directly in front of him was the sight of the renowned mortician, with greyed hair whose length went beyond his shoulders, connecting with his selectively-trimmed beard to form a single collection of hair throughout his face and whole head. Notably, he was a man of formidable stature, standing at nearly one sazhen no matter how one looked.

"No, please. Come in. I take it you must have very urgent business to be here at this hour.", Sharadze welcomed his guest inside, before he closed the door and began lightening his house using candles and his rarely-utilized fireplace. Perhaps he was used to having guests without any prior notice, as the house was quickly lit brightly mere moments after the guest's entrance.

"Now, sir, tell me: what is your name, and how may I help you?", the mortician lifted the pipe away from his mouth and gave a smile under his beard.
Last edited by Gigaverse on Fri Sep 23, 2016 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Art-person(?). Japan liker. tired-ish.
Student in linguistics ???. On-and-off writer.
MAKE CAKE NOT stupidshiticanmakefunof.
born in, raised in and emigrated from vietbongistan lolol
Operating this polity based on preferences and narrative purposes
clowning incident | clowning incident | bottom text
can produce noises in (in order of grasp) vietbongistani, oldspeak
and bonjourois (learning weebspeak and hitlerian at uni)

Blakullar
Senator

Founded: Sep 07, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:15 pm

Image IOSEB GALIASHVILI
SHARADZE'S HOME, TIFLIS, RUSSIAN EMPIRE.

The features of the individual who had made his entry, hitherto obscured by the deathly night, were illuminated by the homely warmth of Sharadze's living-room. A young man of lugubrious expression; no older than thirty and no taller than two arshini and a foot was the old mortician's estimate. He was dark brown in the eye and hair, possessing a moustache that stretched along the length of his upper lip and to the height of his nose. Sharadze noted a slightly-shrunken left arm, juxtaposed with the larger hand on its end than that of its right counterpart, as he slid out of his green, rain-pelted winter coat and hung it up on the provided hook by the door.

"Now, sir, tell me: what is your name and how may I help you?" enquired the mortician with a fatherly demeanour.

The newcomer's gaze flickered to the windows, spending no longer than a second's fragment looking through each glass to ensure the presence of no onlookers, before he gave his answer.

"Ioseb Galiashvili, sir," was his response, a prepared nom-de-guerre for all who requested it. "It is my wife, she contracted typhus on the journey home. The rash has already turned black; the doctor has given her no more than a month to live."

The elderly mortician gave but a curt nod of understanding as he took a drag from his pipe. There was a seeming familiarity of the young man's predicament that transcended what he was telling him. Whether Galiashvili's observance knew of this to be the truth or not, he did not know, but what was clear to the old man was there being more to this than was spoken of.

"And you require my services to prepare the funeral, Mister Galiashvili?" Sharadze calmly asked of the despondent young man.

After a pause of two seconds, the customer gave his answer.
"Yes, sir. I am told you are a man of charity and wisdom for such trying times as this."
- - - MECHANOCRATIC RUSSIA - - -
From the dilettante who brought you Worlds Asunder!

Part of the Frencoverse.
Did you know I'm also a website?

NS stats not included.
Yes, I am real. Send help.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:06 am

1907 CE (Old Style)

Lifting the pipe away from his mouth, Sharadze blinked twice and drew out a sigh.

"That her typhus rash has gone black and you've come all the way here to meet me; I presume your family has not the finances to pay for her medical fees... or to organise an expensive funeral."

With quite the distraught expression on his face, the young man before him held his head down and lightly shook it. "No, sir."

The old mortician got up from his seat, walked over to Galiashvili's side and tapped his shoulder, acting as though he was his client's father and not some distant celebrity who had only been met by said client for the first time.

"She has not passed away yet, has she?"

"She hasn't, sir; but she is severely weakened, and her health has only been deteriorating. She's having to suffer from typhus and dysentery. She's in... so much pain...", the young man was ready to burst into tears at the mention of his wife's condition. Sharadze, seated to his left, repeatedly patted on his right shoulder; the old man's pipe having been left at the other side of the table.

"I look not to give you any false hope, Mister Galiashvili, but as long as she's alive, do wish your wife the best and look out, just in case, for any slim chances that she would recover. Still, I understand how it feels like to be you right now; and I advise that you begin mentally preparing yourself for anything, should the worst come to happen."

"Yes.", Galiashvili nodded his low-hung head, having just barely stopped himself from shedding tears before the mortician, "I will, sir."

"Very well. You have mentioned that your wife is still alive, but in much pain; haven't you?"

"She is right now."

"Then I would have to apologise beforehand, but I must ask that you show me the direction back to your house. Trying times this is for you, so I'm willing to do the best in my ability to help."

"Ah, about that...", as with his introduction, Galiashvili briefly glanced outside the windows for onlookers, before he continued, "I'm afraid... I can't just do that straight away, sir."

Old Sharadze gave the young man a look of confusion. Very quickly, however, something dawned on him, as he transitioned to another nod of understanding.

"That, you have nothing to worry about, Mister Galiashvili. Your secrets are safe with me."

For Galiashvili to come find the old mortician, he must have heard from before of how the old man wasn't just a simple man of talent and charity. Stories of him handling non-Orthodox funerals weren't rare, but neither were the tales of his dealings in areas within the grey of the law. Rumors had it that the man was involved in the organization of funerals for the loved ones of outlaws and the shadiest of characters, and his unorthodox methods extended to include performing operations on postmortem bodies as part of cossetting. That most individuals said to have visited him were still continuing to be outlaws the moment Galiashvili came to visit helped prove the old mortician's case.

"We must hurry back then.", the young man announced, after some contemplation.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

When the two men came back to Galiashvili's residence - Madame Hervieu's atelier, it was already late at night. The outside, already raining when Galiashvili came to the mortician's house, had only gotten darker, with the winds blowing stronger and the weather worsening by the minute. The young man, who had arrived with no headgear, was provided with an ushanka courtesy of Sharadze, while the large old man refused to wear anything more than an inexpensive fur coat. While Galiashvili had initially tried to convince the aged mortician to properly dress himself for the bad weather, he had given up, his thoughts refocusing on his ailing wife at home.

Having removed their coats and partially dried themselves, both men walked to the room where Ekaterine Svanidze - Galiashvili's wife - was resting. By then, Galiashvili had a hunch that old Sharadze already knew why his wife didn't bear the same surname as his - either the real one or the nom-de-guerre; and that he had decided to keep quiet with no further inquiries.

The moment Galiashvili stepped in, he could hear the sound of coughing. Following closely behind him was the large old man, who was having a little trouble with the entrances in Galiashvili's home due to his size. Seated by the ill Mrs Svanidze's bed was a man with his hands clasped. The entrants managed to bring his attention away from the sickly woman.

"This is my brother-in-law, Mikheil... Monaselidze.", Galiashvili introduced the man - perhaps hesitating to say his surname out of a sense of secrecy, before he walked to the side of his spouse - who was having trouble sleeping, knelt down and took her hand.

"Soso, you call a doctor, even now?", Monaselidze looked at Galiashvili with a frown, not yet paying attention to the supposed 'doctor', "Her condition is already so severe; how do you suppose we are going to pay for her treatment?"

"No, Mister Monaselidze," the greyed 'doctor' shook his head, "I wish not to charge your family for what I am about to do. Please take it all on me; for it has been hard on Mister Galiashvili to find a man suitable for the job in such bad weather as this.", he spoke, making no mention of his true profession or his name.

"Even so, good doctor," Monaselidze turned to 'doctor' Sharadze, "what guarantees that you can cure her?"

"I cannot, as it is just not within my ability to delay the inevitable for so long. I can, however, significantly remedy her agony and let her have some good sleep even in her current state.", Sharadze carefully worded his sentences to keep ambiguous the reason as to why he was invited. He was not lying, however, as years of experience after some medical training had pushed him into many a similar scenario before.

"... I...", Monaselidze looked away from the other three people present, before he stood up and faced the 'good doctor', "Then, please, doctor, help her."

When Monaselidze was outside, old Sharadze came to the side of Galiashvili and his wife. Her breathing was abnormally paced and heavy, she was sweating all over her forehead, she was trembling, her eyes indicated she was in a half-conscious state between sleep and being awake, and true to Galiashvili's description, those parts of her body visibly suffering from rash had started turning black. It would have been a miracle if she held for longer than a week. Despite her illness, however, Mrs Svanidze's face retained some of her beauty from when she was healthy.

As the mortician continued to pay close attention to Galiashvili's wife, the young man touched his wife's cheek with the dorsal side of his right hand, both to provide comfort and tell him her temperature.

The old man, however, had begun to notice something off about the woman. She was certainly suffering from disease, but there was something else about her that did not seem reminiscent of a simple fragile, sickly woman.

That was how he figured out the reason why Galiashvili's worried expression had more to it than what the anxiety of a man with his spouse near death.

"Your wife.", the old mortician kept his voice low as he said to Galiashvili, "She's pregnant, isn't she?"

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Sat Sep 24, 2016 5:58 am

Image IOSEB GALIASHVILI
SVANIDZE'S BEDROOM.

That was when Galiashvili went quiet, face bedecked with the stoical sadness of someone with a mission that he knew was impossible to fulfil, yet possessed by an unyielding determination to complete it. After another succession of glances to each and every window, he drew a long, harsh breath.

"I made a promise to Kato after the birth of our first son that I would bring the perfect child into the world I am helping to create through revolution," was the hushed explanation.

"Are you not concerned that I'll sell you out to the Okhrana?" Sharadze responded, tone avuncular throughout.
"I am a serial escapee from the Siberian camps, sir," Galiashvili stated. "If the Okhrana were to arrest me, I would do it again. But I know that you are a good man: I have learned to tell your like apart from the rest in an eyeblink. You have to when you are with the Bolsheviks."

Even with this confident admission, the young man remained alert, at least if the brief look he shot to the doorway was any indication. An experienced revolutionary this man was indeed, never allowing his guard to drop at any moment, yet also a desperate one to have turned to old man Sharadze for help.

"I see," the elderly mortician eventually replied, seemingly convinced of the sincerity with which the youth's words were laden.

"It will most likely sound utterly foolish, but there is something I must ask of you," Galiashvili continued, gently running his hand through his wife's wilted hair as he spoke. "Both Kato and I know that her days are numbered, and so we have made plans to preserve her last child, her last gift to the world, to be brought into it when the time is right. I don't even know if it's possible to do it and will heed your advice to prepare for the worst. But I must try, for her. Will you help me save our child?"

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:29 am

1907 CE (Old Style)

The elder Sharadze rubbed the lower half of his face, as he turned to look at the weakened woman. He was correct by guessing her pregnancy. From the looks of it, however, she couldn't have been pregnant for any longer than a month. Certainly, that would have made Galiashvili's request much easier to perform, but it did not one bit scale down the absurdity of what he was aiming for. Especially not with technology available at that time period.

"In other words, you want your daughter to be alive, even if her mother wouldn't be.", Sharadze summarized what he believed was Galiashvili's objective.

"Y... How do you know my child is going to be a female?"

"I have a hunch."

Of the hearsay that Galiashvili had heard about the mortician, there was word of him being right on the mark whenever he made a guess. That could have been an exaggeration, as Galiashvili was an atheist with little use for belief in out-of-this-world miracles, but since he had come to have some trust for the amicable old man, he thought that he might as well have taken old Sharadze's word for it.

"Then utterly foolish it is not, Mister Galiashvili; of course I understand, as it is only natural for loving parents to want to save their children, even if they happen to be unborn fetuses. And I'm sure removing your daughter wouldn't be too hard, if we can do so as early as is feasible; the problem would be keeping her alive."

"Does that mean... you agree?"

"If I didn't, I wouldn't be talking about how we can save your child."

Galiashvili was, for a brief moment, overjoyed by the old mortician's acceptance of his request. But then, his sadness and the realization that what he requested still had a very high chance of not succeeding, the young revolutionary's expression once again became sombre. Old Sharadze gazed at the door, as he continued.

"I won't guarantee a great chance of my being able to save your child; however, I will try to the best of my ability to ensure that the task at hand can be cleared."

"T... Thank you, sir.", Galiashvili gave a nod of gratitude to the mortician.

"It won't be easy. We would need, at the least, six hours so I can attempt a painless removal of your child.", Sharadze continued talking in hushed voice, "You have yet to inform anyone else but me about your wife's pregnancy, have you?"

"Yes, sir. And I want this to be just between ourselves."

"Very well. Give me a few days, during which I will take care so Mrs Svanidze's conditions will not worsen while I myself will prepare what is necessary for the important operation. Ease her pain during that time, while arrange so on the day of the operation, everyone will be gone from the premises. I know this may be hard to ask of you, as people aren't much willing to go outside in the middle of winter-"

"I'll do it.", Galiashvili interrupted, "Anything for the safety of Kato and my child."

"Good. I, too, hope for the best possible in these circumstances."

Old Sharadze volunteered to spend the night tending to Galiashvili's spouse. When he went home, the rain had already stopped, and the sun had already begun rising upon the horizon.

Russian Empire, between the 11th and 22nd of November
1907 CE (Old Style)

Every day, the mortician would travel back and forth between his house and Ekaterine "Kato" Svanidze's room, helping her to rest easily in spite of her fragile state. He proved himself to be able to deal adeptly, not just with the dead, but with the living - or the near-dead, in Kato's case.

The old man's nature, progressive for his time, coupled with his apolitical but vaguely reformist mindset, allowed him to stay in the good books of both those Bolsheviks and Imperial top brass who frequented the atelier - some of whom even realized that they had already encountered him before. Since he first entered Kato's room, she had gotten better - even if it was for just a little.

The day before the operation, Galiashvili came to express his great worries to the greyed mortician. The latter would offer his words to the revolutionary:

"Have faith, Comrade Stalin. I now know, and believe, that the operation will be a great success."

Reasoning that he was not yet familiar enough to Galiashvili so as to call him "Soso", but already having known and wanted to know better the man he called "Mister Galiashvili" without always having to call out such a long name, the mortician began to insist on calling Galiashvili, from that day onward, "Stalin" - which, according to the old man, was a sufficiently Russian name for his revolutionary identity, one that would act as encouragement, steeling his will.

And the fateful day came. What could come at the end of it, could very well either save or kill not just Galiashvili's daughter, but his wife as well. With everyone out of the atelier as prearranged - thanks to Galiashvili's convincing cases, old Sharadze could carry out the impossible operation within the privacy of Kato's room.

The Bolshevik revolutionary waited outside his beloved wife's chamber, unable to calm himself down. He was "prepared for the worst", should things come to pass, but he couldn't help thinking about that worst-case scenario - over and over and over. Seconds passed like days, minutes like decades, and hours, like centuries. Even in the cold of winter, he sweated all over. That there were absolutely no sounds from his wife meant the operation was proceeding so smoothly, she wasn't pained by it; or the worst had indeed occurred.

Then, the enigmatic mortician exited the room, holding with both of his hands an object resembling a small metal jar, with crystal clear glasses containing inside a foetus, floating within a beautiful, transparent liquid.

"Here, Stalin, your child. Do you want to hold her?"

"Ah. ... Y... Yes. Please."

"Careful. This thing is fragile. I don't have a lot of this."

Galiashvili held the small jar to take a look himself with the greatest of care. Even if his child was a foetus, she was beautiful.

"As long as she stays in this liquid, she lives. If she gets outside, however, she would only get 30 minutes.", Sharadze said. That was the one thing Galiashvili took deep into his heart; he would protect his daughter, no matter what was to happen. Nobody but himself or 'the good doctor' will be allowed to handle the jar. The thought of how a humble Georgian mortician came into possession of such complex technologies that allowed for the survival of a foetus outside its mother's womb did cross the youth's mind, but he quickly dismissed the wandering idea to focus on his most important objective, right then and there: safeguarding the jar.

"Here, Stalin."

Sharadze suddenly opened and showed Galiashvili a small map of the Russian Empire, where a collection of islands was circled and marked in red.

"We have only saved your child, but her safety is not yet ensured. This may be pushing it; but this is the only excellent location where she can be hidden away, to be - as you've said - 'brought to the world when the time is right'. Zemlya Frantsa-Iosifa."

Galiashvili gave a good look at "Zemlya Frantsa-Iosifa", while holding the jar close to himself as though it was the baby itself.

"Though, before we go, there's still some unfinished business here.", Sharadze sighed.

"What would it be then, sir?"

"I am... sorry, Stalin. The one I am saving is your child. Your wife's case is... beyond all hope now."

When "beyond all hope" crossed Galiashvili's eardrums, he froze stiff. That the mortician possessed the power to save his child, but not his wife. He was holding both the jar very tightly, and his emotions in. He might have been wrong for a moment to expect that Kato could have been saved. That certainly wasn't the case, as old Sharadze had mentioned. He simply did not have the necessary resources.

"I... yes. We should... relieve her pain.", perhaps, it was in fact a miracle that he could still manage to form coherent words at that point.

"I will have to take the jar back for now, Stalin."

In the following days, Kato's condition indeed worsened after the operation. In secret, the mortician had brought the jar back to his house, hidden away from the prying eyes of outsiders. Galiashvili continued spending days after days, listening to the old man's every request to make sure his wife's journey to the afterlife was as painless an experience as possible. He wanted to believe in an afterlife. His wife and her family were of Orthodox Christian belief, as was he - long ago. If there was truly a God as the Orthodox Christians believed, however, he prayed that the being would treat his wife with leniency, and allow her to rest.

In the evening of the 20th of November, while Kato was sleeping and both the old mortician and the young revolutionary were staying by her bedside, Sharadze volunteered himself to temporarily close down his business, in order to travel with "Stalin" to Zemlya Frantsa-Iosifa.

"But... why? There are... more people than just me, who need you and your hands...", Galiashvili asked, troubled in trying to find what words to use in that situation.

"This is perhaps my first time facing such a situation as this, but my last time as a mortician.", Sharadze responded, "I'm old, and I've contributed enough. I have long wanted to retire and see the world. And surely, you can't just go alone for your first time, to a land you do not yet know how to travel to, in order to keep a little secret safe - can you?"

The last few days with the old mortician let the Bolshevik to start perceiving the man as someone that transcended human society and its norms. Or, even beyond that, there was something superhuman about him. Maybe that was the inexperience of youth in handling contact with old people; but Sharadze wasn't just any typical old Georgian.

Came November 21st, and Sharadze's announcement in private.

"Prepare yourself, Stalin."

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:15 am

Image IOSEB GALIASHVILI
SVANIDZE'S BEDROOM.

Kato lay alone and silent in her chamber, the room's only illumination coming from the selenic rays cast by the cloudless dead of night. She was not long for this world, an inalienable fact that she had all but made peace with. As her head turned to face out of the window, it was as though God had opened the gates of Heaven early, in wait for her alongside her grandparents. Oh, how wonderful it would be to meet up with them after so long since their deaths...

At once her attention was drawn to a dull, wooden creak. The door. Slowly, Kato turned her head to face the entrant: Ioseb Jugashvili. Galiashvili. Soso. He went by many names, but she knew him as her husband, her beloved. Upon noticing that she was awake, he made straight for her bedside, getting onto his knees before her.

"Oh, Kato..." he almost grovelled, cheeks aflame with tear-streams. "I'm so sorry for making you suffer in the heat of Baku. If only I'd come home earlier..."
"Don't kick yourself over me, Soso," Svanidze reassured him with that same ravishingly-pretty, heart-melting smile that snared his heart. "You need to stay strong for us when I cannot."

As he took in a deep breath of acceptance of her words, Kato looked about him with concern.
"Is ... is she safe?"

Knowing who his beloved was asking for, he drew from the pocket of his coat a jar. Housed safely inside the confines of the still fluid floated a pea-sized, vaguely-humanoid foetus.

"I will take her somewhere safe, where she will remain until the time is right," Soso enunciated. "And I will be strong for you, my love: in fact, I bind my very name to that promise. Henceforth, I shall call myself Stalin: the Man of Steel."

"You were never one to take advice, so you must be desperate if you're doing so now," Ekaterina joked about Sharadze's initial suggestion.
"Heh, indeed..." Stalin smiled for what was the first time in weeks, before returning his attention to the jar. "I don't suppose you've thought of a name for her yet?"

"Oh Soso, you've a long time to think about that..." Kato weakly chuckled.
"I might as well give myself a headstart, since you know how useless I was with Iakob," he countered.

"Well," Svanidze's gaze turned to the ceiling. "I always thought that Elena would be a pretty name if ever we were to have a daughter..."
"Then when the time is right, my love, the very forests of our Motherland will rejoice with the recitation of 'Elena'," Stalin proudly declared.

For what may have been the last ever time, the eyes of Kato and Soso met lovingly with each other.

"Will you remain by my side for the night?" she asked him.
"I will gladly do that," Stalin responded, gently taking her hand and caressing it as she slowly drifted to sleep.

And stay at her bedside he did throughout the waning night, knelt like a silent guardian of his wife's last slumber until the first creeping rays of the orange morning sun entered the chamber. Deep in the confines of thought, Stalin began to believe that perhaps this was far from the end. Even with her illness, there was still the chance that she might survive. For the time being, the prior pessimism fell away.

But Stalin's spine was scraped by a deathly chill when he touched Kato's arm. Cold as morning frost, and no pulse to speak of.

"Kato?"
Silence.

"Kato?!"
Silence. Even as Mikheil, Sashiko, Mariko and Alexander all entered one by one to investigate the blossoming commotion, Kato lay silent.

"No!" Stalin grew frantic. "You can't die on me!! You'll be okay!!"
Silence.

"Soso..." Sashiko approached him, but Stalin did not relent in his attempts to stir his love from her infinite slumber.
When only silence greeted him, the steel melted and fell from his eyes as broken tears, the grief-galvanised scream of "KAAATOOOO!!!" reverberating through the atelier as it ran.

Funerary preparations had been made well in advance, allowing for the burial of Ekaterina Svanidze in the cemetery of Saint Nino's church on the west side of town the next day. The atelier was closed for that dark day, the family gathering at the church to share Stalin's grief. The man himself was silent throughout the funeral; nobody dared speak to him, he did not say a word in response. Even after Kato's last rites were read out by the church priest, his silence stood as strong as hers. No amount of mental preparation could have readied the young revolutionary for this moment, nor prevented him from mourning her.

"Bah..." Stalin finally spoke upon being comforted by brother-in-law Alexander, if only a bitter grunt. "This was the only living creature who could soften my heart of stone! She is dead, and with her have died what warm feelings for humanity I had left!"
"Don't be like that," Alexander reassured. "She wouldn't want you to be like this. None of us would. She'd want you to be strong."

For a moment Stalin pondered this. An objective truth there was in this statement, Kato herself having asked him to stay strong for them when she could not. But there was no longer a 'them'. How could he be strong for the two of them when he was all that was left? Him, and beautiful Elena, resting in her jar...

Came the Seventeenth of June, the year after Kato's demise.

A golden summer's morning over the Stony Tunguska river, Yeniseysk Governorate. Asleep on a rocking-chair outside of a log cabin was a man, thick scraggly beard and long, discordant hair on his head. His snores overpowering the twitter of birdsong as an empty bottle of vodka stood by his feet, he had spent the night partying with a local Siberian tribe after coming to the nearby village to preach. He was ostensibly a holy-man, though spent more time in merriment than in prayer, and hung over than conducting congregation.

In the distance, a faint, growing crackle invaded the atmosphere from the air, the birds in the forest flapping away as dense clouds while the source dived ever closer.
"Let me be, Zanochka, I need my sleep..." the holy-man groaned as he was slowly stirred from slumber by the noise.

But his bloodshot eyes were at once thrown open as the sky-borne grumble was converted in seconds to a tempestuous roar. Jumping up from his chair and looking up to investigate the source, he bore witness to a giant, howling fireball careening into the forest. The object housed within could have resembled a huge squid, though the holy-man could hardly discern anything in his current, hungover state.

At once a great, blinding light seared the holy-man's eyes, followed by a colossal, resonating boom cascading to the ground from the squid-thing's focus. What he then spotted, upon wincing enough so that he could see, were the trees ahead falling away en-masse, toppled to the ground by a titanic blast-wave.

"FUUUUUCCCK!!!" was all the holy-man could utter as the force-tsunami rolled towards him and crashed into the log-cabin with all the wrath of the god-hammer.

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Mon Sep 26, 2016 10:55 am

Russian Empire
Over the span of several years
During and after Svanidze's funeral

On the day of the funeral, a Stalin overcome with deep grief had his gun taken away by his comrades. At that moment, the secret of Elena was almost revealed to outsiders - something old man Sharadze was quite aware of.

During her burial, a distraught Stalin would throw himself into Kato's still open grave, the jar containing his daughter being with him the whole time. Sharadze had to drag the youth out entirely by himself - during which the elderly mortician slipped the jar back into his clothes and reminded Stalin - in hushed voices - that he still had a mission to complete. Thought Stalin would later recount the reason why he walked away on that day as him seeing Okhrana agents and fled, there was more to it: the suspicious men who approached the funeral attendees that day were indeed from the Okhrana, but they did not spot Stalin upon their appearance; instead, they only conveniently served as a reason for him and old Sharadze to run away, thereby concealing the truth of Stalin's dearest daughter from the world.

As Sharadze had promised, Kato's funeral was the last he directed. His services shut down, as he packed his bags to show Stalin the way to Zemlya Frantsa-Iosifa - the perfect place to allow the foetus of Elena to survive the test of time, until the world was ready for her.

It took months, and the retired mortician guided every step of the way for Stalin. "That you are probably going to visit her every year in the future was a possibility; so you must know the road by heart, even if it's the first time you walk on it.", was the old man's reasoning.

One day, in the freezing cold of the far north, Sharadze would point to a grotto and utter:

"We're here."

The location around the grotto was abnormally colder than anywhere else they had tread until that point. With one hand on Stalin's shoulder, the old man encouraged the young revolutionary to say his last goodbyes to Kato's last gift to the world.

"One day, my child ... I shall bring you into this world."

As the man promised his unborn child, he kissed her jar one last time, before he began to bury it underneath the snow, with only old man Sharadze to bear witness to his deed. Perhaps it was the cold. Maybe it was because he was having to bury his own daughter. But flashes of the happy days he and Kato shared went through Stalin's head. Those days were over. She was gone, for good; and he would not get the chance to directly see their last child again for years, or even decades and centuries.

Before he knew, it was done. She was safe.

"Stalin. Time to return. You and your comrades still have a revolution to finish."

His grief had begun to turn into resolve. Stalin gripped his fist, as Sharadze's right hand was put on his left shoulder.

No more time to blame himself about Baku.

Together, the two men returned to Georgia; Sharadze keenly showing Stalin the way back to deeply imprint the road into his memory. However, the revolutionary declined to return to Tiflis - to the atelier. Instead, he would make his way back to Gori. As he bid the old man goodbye, Sharadze left his words to Stalin:

"If you're not going to return by 1910, you are not going to see me; I have a hunch that I'll be gone by then!"

And true to his words, it was the last time Stalin met the mortician. He would return to Baku, be arrested numerous times, sent/exiled to Siberia again and again, begin writing using the alias "Stalin", and come to Achinsk upon being drafted into and disqualified for service in the army. Every year since his first trip to Zemlya Frantsa-Iosifa, he would make time for trips to the grotto - that they wouldn't at all be easy never crossing his mind - and ritually repeat his promise to his daughter - as suggested by old Sharadze. But never once did he come back to the mortician's place to pay him a visit.

In 1915, he finally did so upon his return from the cold north. Even in the day, the house still seemed as dark from his perspective as he remembered. As he knocked upon the door, however, nobody would answer. He would open the door to find a completely empty house. No bed. No table. A fireplace occupied by spider webs. As he walked inside, he could find only tranquility in the darkness.

The old mortician was "gone".

Imperial Public Library, Petrograd
Russian Empire, 22nd of November
1916 CE (Old Style)

That same day, 9 years ago, saw Stalin's beloved wife leaving the earthly realm. Or at least, that's what Comrade Stalin told him.

They met in early 1912, during one of Stalin's exiles to Siberia. One was a revolutionary with an iron heart - "Iosif Stalin". The other was a youth disenchanted with the contemporary state of Russia - "Savva Sokolov". Sokolov had been spending time in Siberia for his involvement in "subversive activities". He was present when the 1905 Revolution started. At that time, he was 19 years of age, having toiled in the mines of exploiters for a year with inadequate pay - the result of his family having no finance for his higher education.

The Russian youth told Stalin of how the initially peaceful demonstrations ended in blood. As one of those left alive, he had to bear witness of his fellow demonstrators - among whom were his coworkers - being shot down one by one. Then he was taken by the Okhrana and, "luckily", let off in Siberia as a "light sentence" (probably in comparison to the camps) - in other words, left for death. Then he heard about the death of his family members, and the rest was history. "Most things I needed to learn, I've picked up in Siberia".

Sokolov, upon contact with the Bolshevik, was quickly taken in and radicalized by his charisma, becoming a Bolshevik himself. Earning Stalin's trust, Sokolov adopted the alias "Prizrak" and came into contact with other important Bolshevik figures.

Prizrak was a peculiar sight: not everyday could one get to see a white-haired man who stood at one sazhen in height. The Bolsheviks soon found out how lucky they were to have found Prizrak: he was apparently an academic overachiever back when he could still afford to pay for school. Once he was dedicated to the Bolsheviks, he was not just diligent in his work, but also genuinely smart. Prizrak was also a foxy one - a criterion to make an effective revolutionary. Stalin's account of Prizrak's physical strength was of how he once wrestled with a bear in Siberia and won all by himself. And above all, Prizrak's loyalty to the cause was unquestioned.

Prizrak also had personal loyalties, however - the individual who had earned most of it was none other than Stalin. As a senior on the revolutionary path, Stalin provided ideological guidance for the white-haired youth. In return, Stalin found nothing short of a friend in Prizrak - a rarity for him ever since his wife passed away. Stalin had, however, not yet entrusted Prizrak with every secrets in his life yet - there were times of the year when Stalin would go missing for at least a month on end, and Prizrak was not allowed to follow, instead having to receive his tasks from the other Bolsheviks.

Then came the Great War.

There was almost assured certainty that Prizrak would be conscripted, given his physique. Despite that, on the day of his medical exam, his white hair, in addition to his coughing up blood, forced the authorities to disqualify him for fear of his infectious disease. Once he met again with and told the story of how he intentionally did it to Stalin, the revolutionary at first did not buy the story, but upon Prizrak's revelation by way of repeating what he did that he had the ability to feign sickness to a frighteningly convincing level by actually throwing up blood, Stalin had to give in, not wanting to find out how the young man could even manage that.

Even in 1916, Prizrak had to keep up that masquerade in public to avoid attracting attention to a man who seemed so strong, yet wasn't serving in the military as everyone should be doing. As he looked at his bloodied palm, Prizrak closed the book he was reading, returned it to the shelf, and promptly stepped outside the library.

Stalin had told him to meet at a certain location; Prizrak should move to make it in time.

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:50 am

Image JOSEPH STALIN
BOLSHEVIK SAFEHOUSE, NEVSKIY DISTRICT, PETROGRAD.

In the nigh-decade since the burial of Kato and Elena, Stalin's prominence had only grown, fuelled by his vision. In 1912, he had been appointed by Lenin himself to chief the Russian Bureau of the Bolshevik Party in the revolutionary's absence. To assist him in this endeavour were three other prominent Bolsheviks. Savva Sokolov, known better to his associates as 'Prizrak', the 'Wraith', was one of his two protégés: the other was Vyacheslav Skryabin, known better as 'Molotov'. Prizrak, true to his moniker, was a competent infiltrator, and Stalin regularly deployed him to keep track of Okhrana movements, enabling the Bolsheviks to remain one step ahead at all times. Molotov often assisted Stalin with the administrative duties of running the Bureau and the Party newspaper Pravda in particular: the stout, timid man was ill-suited for combat missions, but he made a good secretary and his loyalty to the cause was unquestioning. The third of Stalin's assigned lieutenants, Kliment Voroshilov, was responsible for organising guerrilla activities on the ground floor. Having recently been transferred to Petrograd from the Brusilov offensive, Klim was a stone-faced soldier with plenty of combat experience under his belt, making him a valuable commodity for a small army consisting of proletarians with little knowledge of how to fire a gun, let alone tactics.

It was Voroshilov who was presently stood outside in the snow-bleached streets of Petrograd. Leaning against the wall of the building, he searched for his mark amongst the moving crowds. Then he caught sight of him: with his great height and ivory hair, it had taken Voroshilov but a second to recognise Stalin's associate. It appeared that Prizrak had also noticed the Bolshevik commander: Klim knew well that, apart from his height, he possessed other abilities that made him stand out from the rest, not least of which was keen eyesight. Soon, Prizrak made his approach.

"He's waiting for you in there, Wraith," Voroshilov addressed him.

Sokolov needed no further prompt than that, making his way through the back door where Klim had been standing. The two of them walked through the corridors of the house and into the cellar from whence Stalin had been running the operation. The man himself was hunched over a table, back turned to the two, poring over a map of Petrograd in the dim light.

The instant that the door creaked open, however, Stalin turned to greet the entrants with a friendly warmness.
"I'm glad you could come on such short notice," he spoke, hand outstretched to shake.

"It is good to see you, comrade," the Wraith greeted and met his hand with Stalin's.
"Likewise," the Bolshevik reciprocated, returning to his map soon afterward. "It should be a simple task I have for you today, Wraith. There's been some shady dealings at the Moika Palace, the residence of House Yusupov..."

He manoeuvred the pencil in his fingers, so that its tip rested on a spot in Tsentral'nyy District, not two versts away from where the Neva River terminated into the sea.

"...and we want to know what. Prince Felix Yusupov has been making an uncomfortably-high number of visits to the Okhrana lately. We need you to find out whether he's an informant or a potential defector."

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Fri Oct 14, 2016 11:11 am

Bolshevik Safehouse, Petrograd
Russian Empire, 22nd of November
1916 CE (Old Style)

"Have you any other information on the Prince, Comrade? Or is this all we've known so far?", the Wraith inquired.

"I'm afraid this is all we have for now; otherwise we wouldn't have called you."

Prizrak nodded, acknowledging his new mission. "May I go now, then? The objective won't finish itself after all."

"You may.", Stalin said.

"Oh. I almost forgot."

From the pocket of his winter coat, the Wraith extracted a smooth-textured flower with a breathtaking white color - undoubtedly, he was holding a white camellia. The ivory-haired giant left the blossom on the map Stalin used for the briefing, accompanying his action with a line:

"A small tribute to Madame Svanidze, she who softened Comrade Stalin's iron heart. In a few years, let us give her an even greater gift, Comrade."

With a slight smile that could warm the winter, Prizrak exited the cellar, but not before giving both Stalin and Voroshilov his friendly nod. As effective a killing machine and fervent a revolutionary the youth was, he was not all heartless - as Stalin had found out for himself back in Siberia. The senior Bolshevik would pick up the mildly-fragrant white flower; and, for a brief moment, allowed himself to smile.

"A greater gift, you say..."

Moika Palace, Petrograd
Russian Empire, 22nd of November - Late Night
1916 CE (Old Style)

Any normal person handed the task of keeping an eye on Prince Felix Yusupov at such a time could have considered his mission a disaster. All things considered, Petrograd's weather in late November was at the least not so pleasant (though vaguely more pleasant than the rest of Russia); just standing outside for long was advised against. The white snow dyed bluish-black by the night also stood in stark contrast to the flamboyant yellow of the Moika Palace's exterior - any stalker would have easily been caught in the act if he so much as rested near the Palace's walls.

But Prizrak was not just any stalker.

Having worked out several scenarios beforehand of how things could have gone horribly wrong for him, the Wraith had prepared some well-hidden countermeasures; but until then, his coat of choice, which was in a color that could blend in well with both the snow, the obscured corners of the Palace's outer walls and the general vicinity of the building, would largely allow him to stay away from trouble and keep an eye on the Prince, while remaining undetected himself.

There he was. Prince Yusupov had emerged at the doorsteps of his Palace. Striding towards the Prince was a certain character that the Wraith had come to familiarize himself with for his role as an organizer of the infamous Black Hundreds: Vladimir Mitrofanovich Purishkevich.

Simply associating with such a virulent anti-Bolshevik politician certainly increased the chances of Prince Yusupov being an informant against revolutionary activities in Prizrak's eyes. His perception told him, however, that something belied this initial impression. Staying still by the Palace's window panes, the quiet Wraith waited for the pair of men to enter the Prince's residence. He could take all the time he needed to listen in on their conversation - concluding that Yusupov was assisting the Okhrana would have been far too soon at that moment.

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Sun Oct 16, 2016 4:07 am

Image SAVVA SOKOLOV
MOIKA PALACE, PETROGRAD.

"...as well as I do that they're too disorganised to do anything about it!"
When Sokolov was within earshot of the conversation between Yusupov and Purishkevich, they sounded as though in the midst of a heated argument. The prince had just finished speaking, and now it was Purishkevich's turn to answer.

"I know the threat that he poses to us, but surely there must be any other alternative to those thugs!"
"There are no other options – it is either them or the Tsar himself, and you know how turning to the latter will end!" Yusupov stated. "Trust me when I say that this is the absolute last resort."

"What makes you think they will even cooperate with us?" Purishkevich argued with the ferocity of a dogged opponent. "And how do you know to look for this ... 'Galiashvili' guy?"

"Our sources within the Bolshevik organisation have given us much information on him," the prince replied. "It can't be a coincidence that he disappeared that year and suddenly there's a massive explosion being reported in the Yeniseysk Governorate."

"The one you claim spawned that devil?"
"There's also another matter. The Okhrana spy Malinovsky went looking through records in Tiflis while trying to dig up information on him, shortly before his arrest in 1912. It appears that, as found out while going through post-mortem documents and death certificates, Mister Galiashvili made an unusual last request to the mortician there the year his wife died."

"So? What relevance does that have to this matter?"
"If you will be patient, you unguided missile, then I will tell you!" Yusupov seemed to snap at Purishkevich's profuse condescension. "Galiashvili possesses some form of preserver for his as-of-yet unborn child, but either the Okhrana doesn't know where he buried it or they won't tell me. IF Galiashvili is related somehow to the events in Yeniseysk, then perhaps he may be able to lend us a hand in eliminating the Mad Monk."

"Like I asked earlier – how exactly do you intend to get him to cooperate?" Purishkevich spoke up again.

Sokolov did not catch the prince's answer before the doorway to the room that they entered snapped shut.

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Gigaverse
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Gigaverse » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:19 pm

Moika Palace, Petrograd
Russian Empire, 22nd of November - Late Night
1916 CE (Old Style)

And yet he didn't need to, as he had already gotten the information he came for. What little that the Wraith had picked from their conversation allowed him to conclude that Yusupov was neither truly an informant nor a potential defector to the Bolshevik cause; rather, his case was what could only be perceived as a conflict of interests with whoever was the "Mad Monk" - so much so that the Prince had to desperately seek out the kinds of allies few would dare approach, namely the Black Hundreds or the Bolsheviks.

Prizrak hadn't heard more on the conversation, and neither had he heard the Mad Monk being mentioned by name; but there was one notorious figure close to the Tsar who might fit the "Mad Monk" description. Also, interestingly enough, the potential ally Yusupov mentioned was none other than comrade Stalin; who, for all the Wraith knew, went by the nom-de-guerre "Galiashvili" around the time of his most beloved's demise.

Yet theories would remain theories if he didn't go check himself. The night was still young, after all.

23rd of November - Early Morning
1916 CE (Old Style)

Approximately a quarter past midnight. Purishkevich had long since returned to his own residence, and Yusupov was finally allowed some time to rest. The lights were off... and for Sokolov, it was the perfect time to inspect the Prince's closets and see what kinds of skeletons he had hidden in his house.

While Yusupov was deep in the realms of slumber, a certain ivory-haired Bolshevik was browsing through every nook and cranny of his castle - not even the smallest of corners were spared. For such a large man, Sokolov's actions could be so fast-paced yet so quiet at the same time; as graceful as a cat, the giant would create no sound that could alarm and awake the Prince, proving just why he earned his moniker.

Yet, even with his objective incomplete, the Wraith could sense the residence's master awakening. Even in the Prince's half-asleep state, there was still the chance of Yusupov catching the Bolshevik in the act, at the most inopportune moment - and that couldn't be good for either him or the Bolsheviks in general. Thus, Prizrak hid himself in the one of the castle's corners, obscured by the amount of objects present and the lack of light reaching the position.

When Yusupov was out of the premises, Sokolov resumed searching. There were few things of note or even related at all to the topic of the Mad Monk at hand; yet, he had indeed already found some of the Prince's deep-hidden skeletons in the closet...

After what was possibly a night-trip to the lavatory, Yusupov returned to his bed, with the intention of continuing to sleep undisturbed until the morning after. The entire time, the Prince did not once notice the presence of a Bolshevik in his home: that was, after all, Sokolov's genius; only allowing his presence to be detected at all when the need arose.

Since the thorough search of the Prince's household was proving rather fruitless, and he was already having something with which he could blackmail Yusupov, it was time for the Wraith to step out of the shadow and into the moonlight.

His hands holding a rather flamboyant dress onto him, as if trying it out, the Bolshevik, who stood by Yusupov's bedside, chuckled.

"Nice dress."

Blakullar
Senator

Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Blakullar » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:13 am

Image PRINCE FELIX YUSUPOV
MOIKA PALACE, PETROGRAD.

The very instant that the words 'nice dress' slipped from the intruder's mouth, Yusupov's hitherto-tired expression contorted into straight horror. For but a few seconds he considered shouting for the guards at the top of his lungs.
"Not a good idea," the home invader, frilly white dress held high in his hand, sensed with an uncanny precision the prince's intention.

"Who are you, and what in heaven's name are you doing in my home?!" Yusupov seethed, barely able to contain his instinct to lunge for him as his face grew beet-red with embarrassment and rage.
"I understand you've something of a monk problem?" the intruder spoke with a nonchalance that contrasted on every level with the prince.

Yusupov stopped gnashing his teeth and gave a epiphanic stare.
"Oh God, you're with the Bolsheviks, aren't you?"

"You could say that," the intruder confirmed. "Now, I will ask you again - do you have a monk problem or do you not?"
"Now is hardly an opportune time to discuss it!" the prince protested.

"Then I will be on my way," shrugged the Bolshevik, and he prepared to turn and exit through the same route through which he entered.
"Wait!" Yusupov called as he realised that he was taking his dress with him. "I'll talk. There is a monk who is currently planning something dangerous in connection with the imperial family!"

His bluff having worked to full effect, the blond revolutionary turned back to the prince, a wily grin crawling up his cheeks.
"I figured as much. Do go on..."

"Eight years ago, there was some kind of impact in the Yeniseysk Governorate. Something fell from space at around the same time one Mister Galiashvili disappeared from the Okhrana's scopes. Within a week, we get reports of a monk performing miracles of healing that are beyond all belief. Naturally, with master Alexei suffering the way he is, the Emperor grew interested in the thought of someone with such properties nursing the prince back to health, so he sent for Mister Grigory Rasputin..."

"And why, pray tell, would you want such a miracle worker to die?"
"Because last week, I heard Rasputin in the Winter Palace talking to him about some 'greater plan' he has. I can't say I know fully what that plan details, but given that he is corrupting the family, including the Empress herself to the core, I fear the worst, especially given the strange connection he has with the boy. This is not something that I can do alone: I will require the help of someone who might have some form of familiarity with these strange ... oddities."

"I will speak to Mister Galiashvili about it on one condition," the intruder answered. "You will see to it that all mention of Mister Galiashvili's child are expunged from the Okhrana's records within a day. Otherwise, Irina may be getting a certain surprise you've been keeping from her."

"Done," Yusupov responded with not a second of hesitation. The mere thought of his wife discovering his inclination towards cross-dressing filled him with far greater terror than any image of torture by the Okhrana's hand.

"It appears that we are done here, then," the Bolshevik spoke with a warming smile. "Have a good night, Mister Yusupov."

"What do I call you, by the way?" the prince enquired just before the intruder left.
"Some have taken to calling me 'Wraith' as of late, so you can use that," was the response.

Part of the Frencoverse.

NS stats not included.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents