NATION

PASSWORD

The Cooperative Union (CU) OOC (TWI ONLY) CLOSED

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Nov 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:01 pm

just a suggestion if you know real life orbital physics are involved/simulated. a CU spaceport would make the most sense in a low latitude location with open ocean to their east. not to say its absolute, but if more northerly we could poke fun at the inclination orbit [think the ISS in real life]...

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:47 pm

i'm noticing a trend of CU members seeking to expand their armed forces, and I sorta had an idea that might be somewhat novel and interesting approach to interpreting the CU treaty. Does the freedom of movement, living and working also apply to armed services? what stops say a member of nation A from serving a branch of member nation B's military?

I present the Cooperative Union Foreign Legion, an opt in program where members of participating nations agree to let any person who would otherwise be able in serving in an armed service the ability to do so regardless of country of origin. An option of this pact could very well mimic what happens if you were to spill blood in the real French foreign legion, citizenship by bloodshed. An injured soldier could in theory have a viable prospect of citizenship for the nation s/he served...

i'm still spinning the idea around in my head, but I figured some of you more military minded folks might have some good insight.

Covonant
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:15 pm

United Republican Lands wrote:
Covonant wrote:
My next post on the IC thread would be to open the discussion on proposals to fast-track our efforts. I want us to identify areas within the Union that could serve purpose for our pending space programme as well as create a CU budget and in the process allocation for a CU space agency.

Any suggestions for a space agency name?

Union Aerospace Council (UAC)

I am liking this one. I am however thinkiing Cooperative Union Aerospace Council (CUAC)
TO APPLY FOR EMBASSY SELECT LINK: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=351134

Covonant
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:17 pm

Travencia wrote:just a suggestion if you know real life orbital physics are involved/simulated. a CU spaceport would make the most sense in a low latitude location with open ocean to their east. not to say its absolute, but if more northerly we could poke fun at the inclination orbit [think the ISS in real life]...

I believe with our powerful economic bloc we can afford to do the impossible. If you want to use the island next to you for this venture we can decide on a plausible Rp and start on it. I think its best however that it falls under CU domain in the event you may CTEd that we don't lose the island.

Covonant
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:21 pm

Travencia wrote:i'm noticing a trend of CU members seeking to expand their armed forces, and I sorta had an idea that might be somewhat novel and interesting approach to interpreting the CU treaty. Does the freedom of movement, living and working also apply to armed services? what stops say a member of nation A from serving a branch of member nation B's military?

I present the Cooperative Union Foreign Legion, an opt in program where members of participating nations agree to let any person who would otherwise be able in serving in an armed service the ability to do so regardless of country of origin. An option of this pact could very well mimic what happens if you were to spill blood in the real French foreign legion, citizenship by bloodshed. An injured soldier could in theory have a viable prospect of citizenship for the nation s/he served...

i'm still spinning the idea around in my head, but I figured some of you more military minded folks might have some good insight.

Well I don't know if other CU states are looking to expand their armed forces, but I like your idea though. It would assist Covonant greatly with expanding our troops count, but I am wondering if this would allow the CU to act similar to the C6 with a few members of the CU are members of and I wouldn't want to have the C6 somewhat obsolete and lose relevance.

Keomora
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 23, 2016
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Keomora » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:24 pm

We could reconfigure C6 as the military arm of the CU prepared to defend CU member states from foreign attackers
For Peace and Honor.

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:40 pm

Covonant wrote:I think its best however that it falls under CU domain in the event you may CTEd that we don't lose the island.

that's exactly the tone I was trying to set up, which could be very interesting to see how the CU evolves around the idea of federal territory. the RP I have in mind in my head centers around a combined effort amongst member nations around it, and in some ways fulfills Van's request of colonies and the like being more like NPC's with a back story rather than colony of nation X. I'll draft out a few ideas and submit them here before i think about pulling the trigger....

so i'm not mistaken that there is a difference between the C6 and the CU. from my interpretation there is little in the way of a CU united force [much like the EU in real life], and that its sorta up to each individual nation to have a military and the like. I can see the rationale in keeping them separated, I think one of the unions stronger points is more of its economic focus rather than military might...

covonant I had an idea for an invasion of the territory to yr northwest, maybe a combined effort now that Abra has been kicked off the map. i think we would incur some significant diplomatic resistance from others for taking it though...
Last edited by Travencia on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:54 pm

CUAC works pretty good for me, while we're at it lets kick ideas for the name of the island that will eventually house our spaceport. I'm almost done with some rocket design/manufacturing ideas, the one thing that is going to be somewhat crucial will be access to high quality oil, but I suppose in the framework of TWI and such we could always incorporate that into the reason we seized "island X" for our spaceport [a supply of high quality oil makes distillation into RP-1 [rocket propellant] ideal]. Now to wrap my head on an efficient liquid oxygen producer...

totally off topic but might as well bring it up, covonant the Covish Union Bank being as large and valuable as it is would maybe make the most sense of being listed like Berkshire Hathaway [a multi-tiered stock offering, with say tier A and B being very high share priced, like $600-800, while Tier C might say be $200, and tier D say $80]

Covonant
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:55 pm

Keomora wrote:We could reconfigure C6 as the military arm of the CU prepared to defend CU member states from foreign attackers

We could have it aid in defense of the CU but not have all CU members as members of the C6 but beneficiaries of defense from the C6. I am looking more of having an amended clause to the CU treaty that speaks to defense that in times of external attacks the C6 will aid in defense with individual CU member states armed personnel.

Travencia wrote:
Covonant wrote:I think its best however that it falls under CU domain in the event you may CTEd that we don't lose the island.

that's exactly the tone I was trying to set up, which could be very interesting to see how the CU evolves around the idea of federal territory. the RP I have in mind in my head centers around a combined effort amongst member nations around it, and in some ways fulfills Van's request of colonies and the like being more like NPC's with a back story rather than colony of nation X. I'll draft out a few ideas and submit them here before i think about pulling the trigger....

so i'm not mistaken that there is a difference between the C6 and the CU. from my interpretation there is little in the way of a CU united force [much like the EU in real life], and that its sorta up to each individual nation to have a military and the like. I can see the rationale in keeping them separated, I think one of the unions stronger points is more of its economic focus rather than military might...

covonant I had an idea for an invasion of the territory to yr northwest, maybe a combined effort now that Abra has been kicked off the map. i think we would incur some significant diplomatic resistance from others for taking it though...

The C6 is far different from the CU. In fact the C6 was created months before the CU was even a thought. I didn't really see the CU havin military might because in that case it would become more powerful that the C6 militarily with more member states. I think the best route is to have the C6 as the defense arm of the CU with the original members remaining members, and in times of conflict for CU states in the event the C6 is called upon would aid in defense.

Covonant
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:59 pm

Travencia wrote:CUAC works pretty good for me, while we're at it lets kick ideas for the name of the island that will eventually house our spaceport. I'm almost done with some rocket design/manufacturing ideas, the one thing that is going to be somewhat crucial will be access to high quality oil, but I suppose in the framework of TWI and such we could always incorporate that into the reason we seized "island X" for our spaceport [a supply of high quality oil makes distillation into RP-1 [rocket propellant] ideal]. Now to wrap my head on an efficient liquid oxygen producer...

totally off topic but might as well bring it up, covonant the Covish Union Bank being as large and valuable as it is would maybe make the most sense of being listed like Berkshire Hathaway [a multi-tiered stock offering, with say tier A and B being very high share priced, like $600-800, while Tier C might say be $200, and tier D say $80]

Just to be clear, we are looking to the island directly above Covonant?

Covonant has oil but weirdly enough we have never tried to seize oil before. Tbh I saw the island up north as a good base to do a shock RP but, I will wait to hear more of your ideas on the oil rp as it sounds very interesting.

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:10 pm

the island north of you had potential, but theres a new nation due west of deep haven now. my original plan when i thought this up was sorta to put it between you and ipland. some of the islands closer to your maritime border are still open, and would fit. when i get some free time tomorrow after class i'll draw up a map with proposals. but now that i think of it, an island between you and deep haven could leave some wicked stories to make later...

the extreme plan would be a joint invasion of the large island right above me, to your west. that would likely be unrelated to any spaceport however. i had almost initially claimed that land when i first got here, but opted to be smaller rather than larger.

United Republican Lands
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Republican Lands » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:11 pm

all three of my 3 island areas off my mainland have potential to be used as rocket launch sites.

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:20 pm

United Republican Lands wrote:all three of my 3 island areas off my mainland have potential to be used as rocket launch sites.

One of those islands could likely be an Annex launch site, yr roughly at the perfect latitude for obtaining a polar orbit and ideal inclination for satellite weather systems. plus, being so close to the international district, we could always show off by scheduling a launch when theres an event/summit/gathering as part of a PSYOPS thing to show our strength...

covonant maybe its time to start thinking about exploiting those oil deposits. curious could we mix it with a SHOCK RP? i'm not too familiar with SHOCK so i'd need like a cliff notes summary

Covonant
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Travencia wrote:the island north of you had potential, but theres a new nation due west of deep haven now. my original plan when i thought this up was sorta to put it between you and ipland. some of the islands closer to your maritime border are still open, and would fit. when i get some free time tomorrow after class i'll draw up a map with proposals. but now that i think of it, an island between you and deep haven could leave some wicked stories to make later...

the extreme plan would be a joint invasion of the large island right above me, to your west. that would likely be unrelated to any spaceport however. i had almost initially claimed that land when i first got here, but opted to be smaller rather than larger.

That island is huge. I just realised that is the one you had in mind. Keomora wanted me to invade the territory east of me which is now Wefristania. What would it be used for if it is unrelated to the spaceport?

Travencia wrote:
United Republican Lands wrote:all three of my 3 island areas off my mainland have potential to be used as rocket launch sites.

One of those islands could likely be an Annex launch site, yr roughly at the perfect latitude for obtaining a polar orbit and ideal inclination for satellite weather systems. plus, being so close to the international district, we could always show off by scheduling a launch when theres an event/summit/gathering as part of a PSYOPS thing to show our strength...

covonant maybe its time to start thinking about exploiting those oil deposits. curious could we mix it with a SHOCK RP? i'm not too familiar with SHOCK so i'd need like a cliff notes summary

We could pull a Iraqi style invasion, saying we are fighting terrorism and bringing democracy to the citizens of the island and in the event incorporate the island as a territory of the Union saying we are training the island state to become a democracy promising an independence that will never come, and little by little incorporate it as a full territory. Or do what Atnaia did have a referendum in our favour.

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:47 pm

I like that sinister back story...

As for the big island, mainly for land and smoothing out my population density while simultaneously preventing a possible hostile neighbor from going there. I haven't really put much thought into the why, or use really besides living space. My population density is at the high end of realistic.

Tectonix
Minister

Founded: Apr 30, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tectonix » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:06 pm

Hi, just checking in.
Economic Left/Right: -4.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -6.36
Senator Giovanni Galatis of the DP
Member of the Democratic Party of Galatea - For the many, not the few

Noronica
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Noronica » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:54 am

Would anyone be interested in a CU Leader Summit?

I was just thinking about it and I thought it might be interesting to see the leaders at work, discussing the possible future of the CU.

I'd be happy to host it in Noronica? Maybe we could do it after the trade summit in Travencia?

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:39 pm

that sounds like a great idea noronica. I might throw the economic summit on the back burner and bring it back after a leader summit...

tectonix you ever going to post IC and sign the treaty?

Tectonix
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Tectonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:06 pm

Travencia wrote:that sounds like a great idea noronica. I might throw the economic summit on the back burner and bring it back after a leader summit...

tectonix you ever going to post IC and sign the treaty?

Sorry mate, I'll get on that. Can you post the link? Thanks.

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:11 pm

Cooperative Union Aerospace Council

Preliminary Proposal: Potential Spaceport sites: Alpha Draft

Site 1: A small unclaimed island, west of covonant beyond what was formerly known as abra. its likely near major sea lanes, and is fairly remote.

Site 2: similar to site 1 but more northeast, but distanced enough from Covonant proper to be viable. added benefit being you could likely see launches from Coventry itself. Similarly remote and isolated, near potential territory that could in the future be annexed...

Site 3: roughly halfway between ipland and covonant, north of deep haven. remote with amble ocean on its eastern side for multi-stage rocket disposal

Site 4: South east of deep haven, assumed to be desolate, remote, and void of life. an ideal sterile environment for larger space projects, but also very close to an established colony.

Site 5: Northern location, south of keomora that benefits from keomora's unique ocean claim, in the fact any fallen rockets would likely fall there and could be safe from litigation by third parties not in the CU [last thing we need is rockets falling in other countries]

Site 6: southwest near athara magarat only possible issue forseen could be debris falling in territory belonging to Grand Force.

i'll try and elaborate the pros and cons later, as well as coming up with 4 more site proposals...

tectonix Try Here

Tectonix
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Tectonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:15 pm

Hey, thanks Travencia! Is there a specific app I should fill out, or should I have my Secretary of State just give a speech detailing Tectonix joining the Union?

Also, love this Aerospace Council concept.
Last edited by Tectonix on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

United Republican Lands
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jan 20, 2017
Ex-Nation

Postby United Republican Lands » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:30 pm

Travencia wrote:
Cooperative Union Aerospace Council

Preliminary Proposal: Potential Spaceport sites: Alpha Draft

(Image)

Site 1: A small unclaimed island, west of covonant beyond what was formerly known as abra. its likely near major sea lanes, and is fairly remote.

Site 2: similar to site 1 but more northeast, but distanced enough from Covonant proper to be viable. added benefit being you could likely see launches from Coventry itself. Similarly remote and isolated, near potential territory that could in the future be annexed...

Site 3: roughly halfway between ipland and covonant, north of deep haven. remote with amble ocean on its eastern side for multi-stage rocket disposal

Site 4: South east of deep haven, assumed to be desolate, remote, and void of life. an ideal sterile environment for larger space projects, but also very close to an established colony.

Site 5: Northern location, south of keomora that benefits from keomora's unique ocean claim, in the fact any fallen rockets would likely fall there and could be safe from litigation by third parties not in the CU [last thing we need is rockets falling in other countries]

Site 6: southwest near athara magarat only possible issue forseen could be debris falling in territory belonging to Grand Force.

i'll try and elaborate the pros and cons later, as well as coming up with 4 more site proposals...

tectonix Try Here

I would like to add Site 7: located on the middle and eastern islands between my mainland and the I.D

Tectonix
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Tectonix » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:57 pm

As well, I'd like to propose Site 8a, 8b and 8c (8a and 8b are to the west of my country, with 8c to the north). My country is in dark blue, and the three sites are in gold. They are very far from other countries, with Eurania a good distance away. Lots of ocean to ensure for safe disposal of rocket parts, and for 8c, a very large amount of uninhabited land.
Last edited by Tectonix on Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Tectonix wrote:Hey, thanks Travencia! Is there a specific app I should fill out, or should I have my Secretary of State just give a speech detailing Tectonix joining the Union?

Also, love this Aerospace Council concept.

Yea basically have your national figurehead (president/prime minister/king/chairman) give a short speech or something about how yr national legislature has ratified the treaty and pretty much just say "here I am CU"

Travencia
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Travencia » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:44 pm

Tectonix wrote:As well, I'd like to propose Site 8a, 8b and 8c (8a and 8b are to the west of my country, with 8c to the north). My country is in dark blue, and the three sites are in gold. They are very far from other countries, with Eurania a good distance away. Lots of ocean to ensure for safe disposal of rocket parts, and for 8c, a very large amount of uninhabited land.

you might also super luck out with a tounge-in-cheek reference to the flat world of TWI in the fact any debris would likely fall off the map lol. I'm going to keep that in mind or Project MERCATOR...

I can't speak for all, but I think ideally having 2 or 3 dedicated sites would be ideal, especially in different areas. some of you northern countries are more ideal for certain orbital inclinations, but not very practical for missions beyond earth's orbit due to the sheer difference in energy required. I likely forsee a CU version of the international space station on the horizon, which brings me to a somewhat important thing to think about....

What is the Mission?

I've brought up Project MERCATOR a few times, but for those just catching up its a tounge-in-cheek reference to a GPS like satellite navigation system, named after the infamous map projection in a punny way to reflect the fact that TWI is indeed flat rather than round. [or at least, forces that conversation].

I think it could be said that many members want to lead the space race, which we are uniquely in a way to do, bound only by the limits of our imaginations. I've tried to seed some dual use companies, like how vertical indoor farming could easily be turned around and used in a space colony, or various recycling techniques and the like...

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents