NATION

PASSWORD

Sovereign States [FT][OOC][Open|Signups]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Interstellar Federation
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Interstellar Federation » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:37 am

Achesia wrote:Question (sorry that this is pre-app I wanted to ask before I forgot to ask and I cant put my app in till this evening) How does space around the planet in orbit work as far as ships? Are we restricted to geo-sync or it over our colony? Is it bad to be above another colony/considered an invasion of "air-space"? Can we only enter the atmosphere above our colony? What about space within the system this planet resides in?

I don't really know, but so far I've stayed in my "airspace".
Interstellar Federation
Of knowledge and peace
IIWiki l Website l AEGIS Alliance

The Interstellar Federation
Ambassador

Founded: May 09, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby The Interstellar Federation » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:37 am

Also someone, please post on the IC. I'm so bored. :p
Interstellar Federation
Of knowledge and peace
IIWiki l Website l AEGIS Alliance

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 13, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Mon Sep 19, 2016 6:48 am

The Interstellar Federation wrote:Also someone, please post on the IC. I'm so bored. :p

Yeah, I've been meaning to. Give me a little bit.
Hyper-commodified cocaine capitalism. Urbanized solar systems. Omnixenophobia. War economy without end. Radical body augmentation for fun and profit.

I make exactly two exceptions from a fairly strict adherence to realism, and hate them both.

The Anchorage, for discussion of all things FT

The Interstellar Human Compact

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Founded: May 16, 2016
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Ella2 6 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:04 am

Achesia wrote:Question (sorry that this is pre-app I wanted to ask before I forgot to ask and I cant put my app in till this evening) How does space around the planet in orbit work as far as ships? Are we restricted to geo-sync or it over our colony? Is it bad to be above another colony/considered an invasion of "air-space"? Can we only enter the atmosphere above our colony? What about space within the system this planet resides in?

Depends entirely on the nation you've got your starships over. Generally, you'll have your ships in orbit in geo-sync with your own nation, but some of us do have a global network of non-combat satellites which no one has protested about.
Wiki Factbooks
Kato
Kaga-Kami

A writer of magic, fantasy & science fiction.

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Postby Ella2 6 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:06 am

The Interstellar Federation wrote:Also someone, please post on the IC. I'm so bored. :p

-_- Eodor and I have been waiting on you to reply to us for the past 2 days.
Wiki Factbooks
Kato
Kaga-Kami

Spindle
Senator

Founded: Aug 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:15 am

Cy, could you watch it with the nanites please? It's unlikely enough that they'd remain undetected in the tissue fluids, but there is no way that they'd be able to reach the brain for any length of time: let alone long enough to map it out. After all, that's the primary area you'd need to defend in the effect of a nanitic incursion - anywhere else can be replaced but the brain is the ultimate nodal weakness. Hell, even the lymph glands don't have half the nanite-concentration of the brain and they're the next best thing to attack!

And, of course, I kinda have to ask how the MU knows Ialius' name. Because if you've ripped it right out of his mind, I'm going to refer you to the above argument plus the fact that you'd have needed to get a huge amount of nanites attached to neurones to do it, and that would have guaranteed detection by Ialius' defence suite.

Olimpiada wrote:
Spindle wrote:I try to keep my hands clean of antimatter where at all possible. It's just too easy to use it as an instant: "I blow everything up" button.

If you use it in small enough quantities it works well. Since anyone who's using the stuff should probably be aware of the astonishing amount of gamma radiation that's letting loose, and should (hopefully) restrict themselves to using it as a small nuke, in quantities well below a milligram.

I know, but...ingrained reactions are ingrained. I've seen too many people trying to auto-win wars with dumb quantities of antimatter that my knee-jerk reaction to seeing it anywhere is to violently attempt to remove it.

And besides, it isn't necessary for my tech base so I can omit it fairly easily. As power sources go, I prefer the ones you can pull out of a gas giant to the ones you have to make with high-speed particles.

Ella2 6 wrote:

Depends entirely on the nation you've got your starships over. Generally, you'll have your ships in orbit in geo-sync with your own nation, but some of us do have a global network of non-combat satellites which no one has protested about.

*Whistles softly*

But in all honesty, it's sort of ridiculous to enforce airspace-like restrictions over the orbitals. So much of the basic infrastructure of modern society is dependent on satellites that you can't risk an orbital retaliation and no-one can make do with just geosynchs. So the orbitals are (more likely than not) going to be fairly free.+
Last edited by Spindle on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
Disclaimer: Nothing said here is the product of a rational mind.
So...apparently I'm a decent writer. Um...wait, what?
Relativity, nukes in space, nukes in atmosphere, LASERs, MASERs, kinetic weapons, missile and kinetic CIWS, impactors and centripital force.

And, of course, for anything at all, you can always go here.

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Postby Ella2 6 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 am

Spindle wrote:
Ella2 6 wrote:Depends entirely on the nation you've got your starships over. Generally, you'll have your ships in orbit in geo-sync with your own nation, but some of us do have a global network of non-combat satellites which no one has protested about.

*Whistles softly*

But in all honesty, it's sort of ridiculous to enforce airspace-like restrictions over the orbitals. So much of the basic infrastructure of modern society is dependent on satellites that you can't risk an orbital retaliation and no-one can make do with just geo-synch. So the orbitals are (more likely than not) going to be fairly free.+

^ True that.

But with that said, you're the one with the most satellites up there and are you going to share that weather information with all of us? Also, in terms of having another nation's combat starship hanging over your head with a fat man in its payload is not going to lessen international tensions, now is it?

On the other hand, just like international waters, space is an international body where no nation has jurisdiction over, so airspace restrictions over orbits are not going to be enforceable. But just like international politicals, there're ways to tell a nation to "knock it off" without saying that. Why else do you think I picked that quote for the first post? If you don't like a nation putting a starship above your head, ask them kindly to stop, and then threaten a trade embargo if they refuse. :twisted:

And I'm only talking about combat vessels. Non-combat vessels should be allowed to go anywhere. Who cares what the conspiracy theorists say? :lol:
Wiki Factbooks
Kato
Kaga-Kami

Achesia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:13 am

Ella2 6 wrote:
Spindle wrote:
*Whistles softly*

But in all honesty, it's sort of ridiculous to enforce airspace-like restrictions over the orbitals. So much of the basic infrastructure of modern society is dependent on satellites that you can't risk an orbital retaliation and no-one can make do with just geo-synch. So the orbitals are (more likely than not) going to be fairly free.+

^ True that.

But with that said, you're the one with the most satellites up there and are you going to share that weather information with all of us? Also, in terms of having another nation's combat starship hanging over your head with a fat man in its payload is not going to lessen international tensions, now is it?

On the other hand, just like international waters, space is an international body where no nation has jurisdiction over, so airspace restrictions over orbits are not going to be enforceable. But just like international politicals, there're ways to tell a nation to "knock it off" without saying that. Why else do you think I picked that quote for the first post? If you don't like a nation putting a starship above your head, ask them kindly to stop, and then threaten a trade embargo if they refuse. :twisted:

And I'm only talking about combat vessels. Non-combat vessels should be allowed to go anywhere. Who cares what the conspiracy theorists say? :lol:

Ya thats kinda my point, I can see Satellites and non-combat ships going anywhere, but if you parcked a battlecruiser above me just sitting there, I may not be happy haha.

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Postby Ella2 6 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:20 am

Achesia wrote:
Ella2 6 wrote:^ True that.

Ya thats kinda my point, I can see Satellites and non-combat ships going anywhere, but if you parcked a battlecruiser above me just sitting there, I may not be happy haha.

I'm not sure if anyone would be.

The idea is that your combat ships stay in either a pre-designated peace orbit or geo-synced above your nation unless mobilised for warfare. Where this pre-designated peace orbit is will have to be sorted out IC when everyone's met everyone and we can get things sorted out in a planetary forum (which we're have just before the first major war.)
Wiki Factbooks
Kato
Kaga-Kami

Spindle
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:38 am

Ella2 6 wrote:
Spindle wrote:*Whistles softly*

^ True that.

If you want we could probably share the meteorological satellite data, but I'd imagine that everyone would want their own GPS, meteorological and spy satellites just in case whoever they're borrowing their data from is going to use the situation for leverage. Or even just provide them with lower-quality data because they can.

Having gone and made the case for everyone having their own orbital organisations, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of joint orbital enforcement agency set up fairly quickly. Because a "civilian craft" in orbit is one burn away from being a weapon of mass destruction.
Relativity, nukes in space, nukes in atmosphere, LASERs, MASERs, kinetic weapons, missile and kinetic CIWS, impactors and centripital force.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:20 am

Spindle wrote:
Ella2 6 wrote:^ True that.

If you want we could probably share the meteorological satellite data, but I'd imagine that everyone would want their own GPS, meteorological and spy satellites just in case whoever they're borrowing their data from is going to use the situation for leverage. Or even just provide them with lower-quality data because they can.

Having gone and made the case for everyone having their own orbital organisations, I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there was some kind of joint orbital enforcement agency set up fairly quickly. Because a "civilian craft" in orbit is one burn away from being a weapon of mass destruction.

How is that?

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:24 am

Achesia wrote:
Spindle wrote:

How is that?

Suppose I have a civilian freighter in orbit with a few tons of iron in it. Then I drop the thing fifty thousand kilometers because I slightly pushed it out of orbit. The impact would be big. And you can make this process far easier with small rods too. A tungsten rod six meters by thirty centimeters has a yield of about twelve megatons when you drop it from orbit, let alone a whole starship.
Hyper-commodified cocaine capitalism. Urbanized solar systems. Omnixenophobia. War economy without end. Radical body augmentation for fun and profit.

I make exactly two exceptions from a fairly strict adherence to realism, and hate them both.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:33 am

Olimpiada wrote:
Achesia wrote:
How is that?

Suppose I have a civilian freighter in orbit with a few tons of iron in it. Then I drop the thing fifty thousand kilometers because I slightly pushed it out of orbit. The impact would be big. And you can make this process far easier with small rods too. A tungsten rod six meters by thirty centimeters has a yield of about twelve megatons when you drop it from orbit, let alone a whole starship.

*takes notes while cackling*

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:34 am

Achesia wrote:
Olimpiada wrote:Suppose I have a civilian freighter in orbit with a few tons of iron in it. Then I drop the thing fifty thousand kilometers because I slightly pushed it out of orbit. The impact would be big. And you can make this process far easier with small rods too. A tungsten rod six meters by thirty centimeters has a yield of about twelve megatons when you drop it from orbit, let alone a whole starship.

This is an old idea. I think it was first conceived in the seventies. Granted, it's even better once you have dreadnoughts with 0.7c railguns.

Spindle
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:47 am

Achesia wrote:
Olimpiada wrote:Suppose I have a civilian freighter in orbit with a few tons of iron in it. Then I drop the thing fifty thousand kilometers because I slightly pushed it out of orbit. The impact would be big. And you can make this process far easier with small rods too. A tungsten rod six meters by thirty centimeters has a yield of about twelve megatons when you drop it from orbit, let alone a whole starship.

If you like that I'd suggest skimming through Atomic Rockets, if you haven't already. There's a lot of maths which gets thrown around, but it's all very interesting and almost one hundred percent factual.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:55 am

Olimpiada wrote:
Achesia wrote:

This is an old idea. I think it was first conceived in the seventies. Granted, it's even better once you have dreadnoughts with 0.7c railguns.

Ya I haf thought of having one of my battleships armed with a pair of largish mass drivers. But obviously with this RP i wont be having any battleships.

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:28 am

Achesia wrote:
Olimpiada wrote:This is an old idea. I think it was first conceived in the seventies. Granted, it's even better once you have dreadnoughts with 0.7c railguns.

Ya I haf thought of having one of my battleships armed with a pair of largish mass drivers. But obviously with this RP i wont be having any battleships.

I only have a couple of battleships in this RP, and that's only because my army focuses on naval quality over quantity.

Achesia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Achesia » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:48 am

Olimpiada wrote:
Achesia wrote:

I only have a couple of battleships in this RP, and that's only because my army focuses on naval quality over quantity.

From what I heard most everything needs to be built here at this colony?

Spindle
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:53 am

Achesia wrote:
Olimpiada wrote:I only have a couple of battleships in this RP, and that's only because my army focuses on naval quality over quantity.

Anything which is built needs to be built here. You can start with a fleet to protect the colony with, but you can't warp another one in.

Also, I'm beginning to feel somewhat threatened. Anti-xenos people coming in, more anti-xenos people anchoring an orbital tether in my territory and my opening negotiations are going...interestingly.

I think I might just be the first casualty of this RP.
Last edited by Spindle on Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:26 pm

Spindle wrote:
Achesia wrote:

Anything which is built needs to be built here. You can start with a fleet to protect the colony with, but you can't warp another one in.

Also, I'm beginning to feel somewhat threatened. Anti-xenos people coming in, more anti-xenos people anchoring an orbital tether in my territory and my opening negotiations are going...interestingly.

If you are, you can probably do something as a guerilla group.

Spindle
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:01 pm

Olimpiada wrote:
Spindle wrote:Anything which is built needs to be built here. You can start with a fleet to protect the colony with, but you can't warp another one in.

If you are, you can probably do something as a guerilla group.

Yeah, it's a transition my military can make fairly effectively. I'm just worried about my civilians - I'd much rther they had a safe place to go once the colony falls.

So...if any xenophiles are out there...hi!

Olimpiada
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Olimpiada » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:02 pm

Spindle wrote:
Olimpiada wrote:If you are, you can probably do something as a guerilla group.

Yeah, it's a transition my military can make fairly effectively. I'm just worried about my civilians - I'd much rther they had a safe place to go once the colony falls.

We probably have a couple xenophiles somewhere around here that would help you.

Spindle
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Spindle » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Olimpiada wrote:
Spindle wrote:Yeah, it's a transition my military can make fairly effectively. I'm just worried about my civilians - I'd much rther they had a safe place to go once the colony falls.

We probably have a couple xenophiles somewhere around here that would help you.

Yeah - the Eodor-Interstellar-Ellian bloc especially. Although I do think we're going to have to break that up at some point in the RP, to keep things dynamic. Perhaps with a couple of terrorist cells...

Ella2 6
Diplomat

Postby Ella2 6 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:02 pm

Spindle wrote:If you want we could probably share the meteorological satellite data, but I'd imagine that everyone would want their own GPS, meteorological and spy satellites just in case whoever they're borrowing their data from is going to use the situation for leverage. Or even just provide them with lower-quality data because they can.

I'd imagine something like the UN being set up sooner or later. You know, an international body which tries to solve world issues but can't because they don't have any real authority, unlike the WA we have here.

Oh! Kinetic bombardment! Only that tech right now would be advanced enough to intercept such a falling object. If you do it right, the little pieces and debris would burn away in the atmosphere.

Achesia wrote:
Olimpiada wrote:I only have a couple of battleships in this RP, and that's only because my army focuses on naval quality over quantity.

Less, but once your colony builds an orbital starport, you'll be manufacturing large starships in space with materials gathered from the system.

Spindle wrote:Yeah - the Eodor-Interstellar-Ellian bloc especially. Although I do think we're going to have to break that up at some point in the RP, to keep things dynamic. Perhaps with a couple of terrorist cells...

I'd be more than happy to house Spindleans. Provided that they are socialist in thinking and are willing to add to the labour force. My nation hates foreigners for a reason. They've disturbed our perfect way of life in the past by bringing their beloved capitalism with them from whichever hell-hole they came from...

And as for breaking the truce... I'll see to it when they start doing something that I don't like... Say, for example, mass genocide of POWs which Eodor is famous for.
Last edited by Ella2 6 on Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki Factbooks
Kato
Kaga-Kami

Eodor
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 26, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Eodor » Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:20 pm

Ella2 6 wrote:
Spindle wrote:If you want we could probably share the meteorological satellite data, but I'd imagine that everyone would want their own GPS, meteorological and spy satellites just in case whoever they're borrowing their data from is going to use the situation for leverage. Or even just provide them with lower-quality data because they can.

I'd imagine something like the UN being set up sooner or later. You know, an international body which tries to solve world issues but can't because they don't have any real authority, unlike the WA we have here.

Oh! Kinetic bombardment! Only that tech right now would be advanced enough to intercept such a falling object. If you do it right, the little pieces and debris would burn away in the atmosphere.

Achesia wrote:

Less, but once your colony builds an orbital starport, you'll be manufacturing large starships in space with materials gathered from the system.

Spindle wrote:Yeah - the Eodor-Interstellar-Ellian bloc especially. Although I do think we're going to have to break that up at some point in the RP, to keep things dynamic. Perhaps with a couple of terrorist cells...

I'd be more than happy to house Spindleans. Provided that they are socialist in thinking and are willing to add to the labour force. My nation hates foreigners for a reason. They've disturbed our perfect way of life in the past by bringing their beloved capitalism with them from whichever hell-hole they came from...

And as for breaking the truce... I'll see to it when they start doing something that I don't like... Say, for example, mass genocide of POWs which Eodor is famous for.

What? I don't kill POWs!
JUSTICE FOR SOUTH REINKALISTAN
JANNIES DONE /OURGUY/ WRONG
DOWN WITH THE HETMOB

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents