NATION

PASSWORD

The Brothers War | IC (Closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Novitera
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 14, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:59 pm

CO-Written with NEW EDOM.

Avantine, Novitera

Meeting with the New Edomite Ambassador to Novitera, Sif Finnhald, Foreign Minister Hosidius Geta had expressed his concerns to her somewhat dramatically though they had in fact privately agreed to a meeting and to her setting up a discreet meeting with officials of the Noviteran government concerning trade issues and security in the Delphic Sea and Apollo Strait.

What Finnhald would make sure to make the Noviteran government privy to was the notion of New Edom’s government’s great concerns about security to their citizens abroad. If Jedoria insisted on persecution of Christian citizens, what safety did they have? If Jedoria made threatening gestures towards New Edom based on some vague ideological nations, what safety did their commerce have? Finnhald would point out that New Edomite goods such as fuel, plastics and copper were vital to civilization. There was a concern that Terricio was attempting to corral New Edom’s trade and foreign policy and this could not be tolerated. “Ultimately,” she concluded, “The issue must be resolved beyond a simple declaration of intent and beyond the reading of one will when another could not yet be obtained. According to our information no cease fire has been declared, no attempt has been publicly made to reach any form of detente with Michael’s government. We hope that the Noviteran government may be able to propose a mutually useful solution.”

Meantime, a message was forwarded to Latium from the New Edomite Undersecretary for Cornellian Affairs, Elizabeth Corbulo: the Foreign Minister had contracted a severe nauseating headache and was deemed unable to continue on his journey, and begged humbly for the talks to wait for him. He would pause in Avantine to recover at the Edomite Embassy there. His staff were conferring on how they might proceed if he was not there.

The meeting was scheduled at the Directorate building located in the city. Several individuals were already waiting in a private lounge area. It was more comfortable than a conference room. On the walls were various pictures depicting scenery in Novitera as well as historical black and white photographs. Those included miners, laborers working on a railroad and ranchers lassoing cattle. Present at the moment was Director Mary Takeshi (Officer of the Foreign Affairs Committee), a shorter black haired woman who only had a few wrinkles on her face. Lucas North (Chairman of the Directorate) was stark bald, older and looked mean when he did not smile. Finnhald’s close acquaintance Wade Setsuko (Officer of the International Trade Committee), had combed dark brown hair greying on the sides and a small but noticeable gut. The three of them had taken up positions on sofas surrounding a coffee table. A pitcher of water with some clean glasses had been laid out untouched. On a table at the side of the room was laid out thermoses of hot water and coffee, mugs, silverware, tea bags, yogurt and a few pastries. For the moment they were all silent. Setsuko was reading a paper copy of the Gallows Street Journal, Takeshi was typing out messages on her phone while North watched the news on a big screen at one end of the room.

When Finnhald arrived she was let into a modern looking building only 20 stories high. It had been placed a bit aways from downtown to not let it be overshadowed by towering skyscrapers. From the outside however, it did not look that much different from any other corporate office. Security for the building consisted of private contractors many of which were Chacano veterans. They wore light blue long sleeves button ups, black slacks and baseball caps with the logo of their security company. Some carried MP5 submachine guns while others only had pistols at their belt. Finnhald was expedited through the line and put through a brief security check before given a badge to clip on and led away by a young friendly looking aide in a suit.

“Welcome to the National Directorate ma’am. The Directors are waiting for you at the lounge. There will be drinks and pastries there. Right this way please. Do you need to use the restroom first?” He said to her.

“No thank you, Mr…?” said Sif.

“Oh it’s just Josh. I work for Mister North.” He replied.

“Thank you for your good service Josh,” she said with a smile.

Finnhald was led in. North shut off the television, Takeshi put away her phone and Setsuko folded up the newspaper. Setsuko shook her hand and spoke warmly, “Good to see you again Siff.” North and Takeshi followed suit but had more formal greetings.

“Welcome Miss Finnhald.” North greeted her with toothy smile.

“Pleasure to have you here.” Said Takeshi curtly.

“Please, have a seat. Oh...there’s drinks and food at the table there.” He pointed. “Go ahead and help yourself if you want then we can get started.”

“Think I’ll grab a coffee first.” Setsuko declared and went over to pour himself a mug before returning.

Sif shook their hands firmly Novitera fashion. “How delightful to meet you both! Some tea would be lovely.” she went to get herself some and added some honey before going to where they were going to sit.

The three Noviterans took their seats. “Miss Finnhald, the boxer is that correct?” Asked North.

“Don’t embarrass her Lucas…”Setsuko interjected.

“Embarrass her? If I had that in repertoire I’d be boasting about it all the time!” Lucas exclaimed and grinned at her.

“Kickboxing actually,” said Sif with a smile, sitting down and crossing her legs. She was wearing a rather elegant pantsuit with low heels, a jacket, light blue blouse and a bow tie, her fair hair down to her shoulders but held back by silver pins. “I actually had a movie career too for a bit--have you ever seen “Fists of Vengeance” one through five?”

“Right, Kickboxing.” North acknowledged. “I’ll have to check out those films sometime.”

“I watched them Sif. I watch one every weekend.” Setsuko said, smiling at her.

“So very kind,” she said, but she had not really come to talk about her filmography. “You should promote a film festival about my movies!” she laughed.

“Anyways, what can we do for you ambassador?” Asked North.

“Well, I’m not going to waste all of our time,” she said, looking at him. “As you are probably both aware, Minister Geta stopped by in Avantine on his way to Latium for some negotiations he was invited to there between Constantine’s government and the Terrician government, but he’s not feeling well. Anyway...he also had a concern. We’ve heard a rumour that your government may support Constantine entering the CTO on his country’s behalf. Is there any truth to this?”

“Minister Geta is sick, ah that’s too bad. Our condolences.” North looked at Takeshi who looked at Setsuko who gave her a nod.

She cleared her throat. “Yes, Constantine has applied. The CTO Committee held a vote on the matter. We have endorsed Latium’s entrance into the organization as did all other CTO member states. Latium’s full membership status will be public soon but if you could keep this quiet on your end until then we would appreciate it.” Takeshi stated.

“Well it’s not so much my intention to gossip,” said Sif, “Rather to express some concerns. To be blunt, we had received invitations to negotiation with Terricio, with the Empire of Ghant and with Constantine over support for him. As I’m sure you are aware we are supporting Michael’s government. After all he was publicized as the rightful head of state, and we received information and diplomatic contact from him first, whereas it was only recently that Constantine made the slightest attempt. Then Jedoria and Chaco entered the conflict on the side of Constantine. Chaco is a nation we have a lot of respect for. Jedoria...not so much. A nation which persecutes Christians and will not even make the appearance of appeasing on that ground...to enter into such a fray naturally puts us in opposition to them. Especially since they left the CPO. We are also concerned about the fact that no international organizations have been invited to examine the legitimacy of either government. Finally, we are concerned about the fact that force alone is being used to decide this issue without any reference to the CPO. As you’re both doubtless aware, many complicated incidents have taken place since then. But the fact remains: at this time it is not in our interests to support the government of Constantine or to remain neutral.”

Sif paused to sip her tea and waited a moment, savouring it, clearly in no rush to explain herself but trying to be clear as well, as though out of politeness. “And so that brings me to why I am here. You see if your government supports Constantine, then that puts us in such an awkward position. Not only because both our nations use the straits around Latium where its waters meet those of Southern Acheron--that’s a minor matter, it would not affect our treaties on trade and general security--but rather because of Count Lalery’s intention of changing our approach to international tariffs with regard to CTO members.”

“Given new events, it is in our interest now to support Constantine’s claim. We’ve done so by giving legitimacy to his government by endorsing them to the CTO but have no plans of going any further than that. As for Jedoria, yes they have proven to be difficult ever since their government shakeup. We don’t support what they are doing but cannot oppose them either.” Mary explained.

“Hold on, hold on…” Setsuko raised a hand and leaned forward. “What do you mean changing your approach to international tariffs?” He asked.

“Oh…” said Sif as though distracted from her main topic. “Well Count Lalery has been saying that one of his policies he’d like to promote is better relations with the CTO. He talked about joining it outright but most of the other ministers vetoed that and there’s a lot of debate about it in our Chamber. But he has been talking about another approach: a general promise to start bilateral relations on the same basis, starting with Novitera. He would like ideal to begin this process soon. We can forward you his proposed timetable for negotiations. We think this would improve our access to markets for our goods, and improve our access to your goods and services too. After all, as I always say, the international economic scene is a web rather than a ladder. But you said you are wedded to supporting Constantine?”

Setsuko looked at Takeshi and North who raised their eyebrows then pointed at Finnhald. “We should talk about this.” Finnhald had their attention now.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Jan 19, 2017 4:11 am

Ghish, Ghant

The Emperor of Ghant informed his staff to convey a message to Jocasta regarding a private meeting in the palace as she indicated she would like to do during the Inquiry. For the occasion he selected his private solar, and for the sake of proper etiquette, he said she was more than welcome to bring her husband Michael along with her, if she so desired. He seldom conducted meetings in there outside of people he knew on a personal basis, and since Jocasta was family, such a venue was appropriate.

It was a room that resembled the personality of the man who occupied it. Small, yet comfortable and intimate, with cozy furniture arrayed around a worn round coffee table in front of a double wide fireplace. The walls were lined with bookshelves filled with old books and narrow tables with nicknacks upon them, and the upper walls were decorated with hanging trinkets from weapons and paintings to hockey jerseys. The paintings were of nature, ranging from forests to mountains to lily pads floating on a pond, all in an impressionist fashion.

He remained in the same clothes he had worn to the Inquiry earlier, and made himself comfortable on the couch by the fireplace, which was burning low upon some robust logs, crackling as they combusted. He had a trusty pitcher of tea on hand, as well as some green olives on a platter with bits of ham and melted cheese. The Emperor had a pair of guards stand outside of the room for good measure as he waited for his sister-in-law to arrive.

Jocasta had said, “Darling, will you wait nearby while the Emperor and I talk?” to Michael, before kissing him tenderly. She then checked her compact mirror to look at her face. Not far off two RPS plainclothes officers waited quietly. Their names were Sitra and Blan.

“Yes of course,” Michael said with a smile. He seemed a little more trusting when it came to his brother-in-law. “Just remember love, that Nathan...he’s like your sister, I think. Intelligent, but emotionally driven in a way.”

Jocasta frowned and nodded. “Yes of course.” she leaned up on tiptoe to kiss him and approached the guards. “Princess Jocasta to see the Emperor.”

The two guards standing round the door nodded and parted ways, leaving the single wooden door available for her to open. Michael hovered some distance away, playing on his phone. Inside the room there was some noise, as though the television was on.

Princess Jocasta stared at both of them coldly. “I thought well trained soldiers presented arms when admitting a personage of royal rank who is of the same extended family as the Emperor?”

The guards looked at each other, and the older of the two, though both appeared rather young, looked at the Princess and said, “His Majesty the Emperor bid us watch this door and let you in when you came. Didn’t say anything about presenting arms. You want a parade too?” he asked casually, prompting the other guard to hold back a snigger.

Princess Jocasta said “What’s your name?” to the one who had spoken to her.

“Private Seymour Axeritogarai,” the young man answered carefully.

“Private Axeritogarai,” said Princess Jocasta severely, “What unit do you belong to?”

“Why none other than the Palace guard, under the command of Ser Damien Voor himself,” the private responded proudly.

“I see.” Jocasta took her phone out of her purse and made a note. “And yours?” she said to the other.

The other guard fidgeted and said that “I am Private Cedric Zengotitabengoa, if it please your Highness.”

“Private...Zengotitabenga…” she noted that one down as well. “Alright, soldiers: how long have you been guardsmen?”

“...a month,” Cedric answered.

“A month and a half,” followed Seymour.

Jocasta raised her eyebrows. ‘And how long have you both been in the army?”

“A year,” said Cedric. “In the Imperial Legion.

“And a year and a half...in the Legion,” Seymour responded.

“If Princess Cassandra had come to see the Emperor, would you have presented arms?’ she asked Seymour. She examined each from their boots to their heads carefully.

“...we would have just acted like we weren’t even there!” Cedric exclaimed.

“The Emperor runs a fairly informal operation...he doesn’t really want the whole presentation of arms thing unless it’s a formal reception or event,” Seymour explained to the Princess politely. “Ser Damien doesn’t push the issue. Had the Emperor known, I’m sure he would have ordered for special arrangements to be carried out, your Highness.”

Princess Jocasta smiled, which transformed her face from severe to sweet and feminine. She said, “Yes, I understand soldier. You were following your commander.” Her eyes twinkled. “You do remember how to do it, right?”

“Why yes of course,” Seymour answered. “What soldier would I be if I didn’t?”

“Let’s see then. Let’s see it from both of you,” said Jocasta with a smile, looking from each of them.

The two guards exchanged glances, and then they presented their arms with a clank of their boots, standing tall and firm.

Jocasta watched them and gave them a firm nod. “Well done! Fit for a parade ground!” her smile played on her lovely mouth. “Now men--the door’s not going to open herself is it?”

“Suppose not, your Highness.” Cedric turned the door knob, which allowed the door to creak open just enough to where a narrow slit of the inside of the room was visible.

“Thank you soldiers,” said Princess Jocasta, and walked through, her heels clicking on the floor, and went up to Nathan. “Hello Nathan…” she said going up and approaching him while extending her pretty hands with their lightly pink painted nails.

The Emperor had turned on a movie, which had begun to enter a particular scene as the Princess entered the room. “Welcome, sister-in-law,” he said with a smile as he clasped her hands with his. “I was just watching a movie...it’s getting to one of my favorite parts.”

“Oh...would you like to watch it in peace?” Jocasta said, leaning up to kiss him on the cheek. Her large soft bosom briefly pushed against his strong chest before she leaned away.

Unphased, the Emperor shook his head. “No, please join me if you’d like. It’s a symbolic scene,” he gestured towards the flat-screen television sitting on a narrow table opposite the fireplace. “The struggle between the wicked centaur and the noble griffin,” he explained once the scene unfolded.

Jocasta said, “how interesting. I hope the Griffon wins.” she watched the scene thoughtfully. When it ended she said, “Symbolic of what exactly?”

“The struggle between good and evil, with the griffin representing good and the centaur evil” Nathan replied, just before the line was spoken in the movie. Then he repeated the line spoken by Sinbad, “For it is the deeds of weak and mortal men, that may tip the scales one way or the other.” Then the scene unfolded in which the griffin was slashed by the sorcerer, allowing the centaur to kill it.

“And so it was not by a worthy adversary, but by treachery and deceit, that the noble griffin was slain,” the Emperor said somberly.

Princess Jocasta said, “I see. Well...it is not by men’s deeds that good and evil are judged, but through the will of God. Speaking of which…” she looked at him. “This inquest. Your cousin. You’re pretty upset, aren’t you?”

“Of course I am,” he answered more firmly. “I’m trying not to dwell on it...or the mobs that stalk the streets or the nobles that mock me in their cups.”

She patted his hand. “Well I don’t blame you. This whole thing has been badly handled. Any leader would be upset. I presume you are most upset with the government and their recent blunders, including this one today?”

“What government is that?” Nathan asked incredulously. “You see a government, where I see a man who may or may not be responsible for these outrages. I’ve always known he was bad, Jocasta. He’s the centaur, I tell you.”

“Nymun?” said Jocasta incredulously. “How so?”

“No, I mean Michael of Latium, and his government. Nymun is one of the few people that works with me and doesn’t expect anything in return.”

“What do you actually know about it though?” Jocasta asked him. “I mean were you given a full intelligence briefing on it?”

Nathan nodded. “I’ve been given intelligence from Nymun, and I’ve been told by Marsella, by my brother Leo, by my sister Theodora, by Constantine, by my own intuition.” Stroking his chin, Nathan raised an eyebrow and asked, “I want to ask you a very personal question, if it’s alright with you. May I?”

“You may Nathan,” said Princess Jocasta with a smile.

“When those Damocleans murdered your father, how did you want to respond?” he asked her with a dead-on stare.

Jocasta said sharply, “It’s different. The Damocleans told us and the world that they had killed as many of our leaders as possible, including my father and others. We didn’t need to investigate; they confessed entirely. Naturally we were all angry. We gathered forces to deal with them and did so. So let me ask you a question: why do you tolerate our enemies?”

“What enemies are those?” Nathan asked, in a tone that indicated righteous indignation. “I’d ask you the same question. I’m aware of your foray into Akai, a nation that has sworn for 800 years to bring my family to an end, and which shares a bed with the likes of Rietumimark, which threatens my nation, and my family with destruction. I would have you know, Jocasta Obed, that as Emperor of Ghant, I have never gotten nearly as cozy with your enemies, as you have with mine. Keep that in mind when you answer.”

“We need to think about our countries before family,” she said to him. “Our nation has entrusted us to be in this position. All the ordinary people, all the soldiers, all the workers, all the people who are in our schools and factories and farms...they rely on us to make wise decisions regardless of how we feel.” she got up and walked over near the television, regarding it thoughtfully. “Your support of Constantine is also support of Jedoria, which supports the persecution of Christians. Now you talk about Akai--we’ll talk about that another time, and you’ll see how that was a wise decision that delayed Akai’s reactions to a number of policies and kept them in a state of confusion. Rather than just reacting to your mistakes, Nathan. That’s why I came to talk to you. I realize it’s upsetting, but it’s an entirely practical matter. We need to be focused and put together a plan of action. This inquest...it’s nearly a disaster. It’s uncontrolled. So no, Nathan, I’m not going to answer your questions. I’m going to tell you how to save the situation and you’re going to work with me.”

“That’s it, huh?” Nathan asked rhetorically. “Constantine supposedly supports Jedoria, and of course you don’t like that. I can put a stop to that, I believe. I have to do something, because you’re right, that Inquiry was a dog and pony show. Make no mistake, Sara Haribec is the most dangerous woman in Ghant, and it isn’t even close. She’s Yula Zimya a thousand-fold, and she has me by the balls, squeezing them a little tighter with each passing day.”

Jocasta said, “Why was she given access to Theodora and General what’s his name?”

“Because she’s the Parliamentary Chair of the Inquiry,” the Emperor answered, already feeling exacerbated. “Parliament gave her that right. The General was given to Nymun, and Nymun was compelled by parliament to give him over. Likewise, I couldn’t withhold Theodora from the Inquiry lest I appear uncooperative with a Parliamentary investigation, and with the throne under increased scrutiny of late, I didn’t want to invite misfortune upon my family,” he admitted.

“Aren’t you the head of state?” said Jocasta. “And isn’t Theodora your sister?” she sat back down beside him again, looking into his eyes.

“I am,” he answered pointedly. “And she is...but that doesn’t seem to matter much, given that Michael and his goons were allowed to imprison and torture her, eh? Funny thing, I’ve never received anything of substance regarding your government’s support for Michael, and to what extent you’re giving it.”

“Michael was first announced in the newspapers and approached us diplomatically and Constantine did not bother,” she informed him. “Nymun’s announcement of support for Constantine and yours followed along with Jedoria’s. There has not been the slightest attempt to mediate the matter through the CPO and other international organizations or to offer any real diplomacy or mediation. This Chairwoman of yours is a fool and has deceived you and is supporting an illegal invasion of a foreign nation.” she informed him severely. “Theodora has had a severe traumatizing episode. It is only right that she be with her family. Have a reliable doctor and psychologist visit her--or at least say that they will when she’s ready to receive them. Mavrones or whatever his name is is a dangerous man. Have him arrested for reasons of national security. This Chairwoman and her cronies: why isn’t Nymn controlling them? What does he have on them? None of these elected politicians are perfect. Have Nymun put her in line. Enough is enough. How many dead Ghantish soldiers is this facade of an inquiry worth to you?”

“Nymun can’t control them because they’re in the increasingly popular opposition party,” the Emperor laughed. “Sara is the Deputy leader of the Opposition, which looks like it’s going to win the next general election. And depending on how things go with Deboru Luken...Sara could be posturing herself for a run at Prime Minister herself. And an illegal invasion of a foreign nation? What about my brother, who is in the field already against Michael, the latter of which will kill him if he gets the chance? Am I supposed to let my brother, my own father’s son, die? At least one of the two of us has the gumption to take up arms against a man that has threatened us and our family. Jason was right...Leo would have made a better Emperor of Ghant than I.”

Jocasta put her arms around him. “Shhh...Nathan...don’t beat yourself up over this. My sweet cuz, would you let me look after this for you, help guide your advisors a bit and make it so that you are offered a way out of this? Your brother saved, ultimately peace in Latium, Theodora vindicated, parliament tamed?”

“Constantine is the rightful Emperor of Latium,” Nathan insisted. “Always has been. As long as Michael claims the throne, there won’t be peace, and I won’t be cowed. There’s blood between he and I. Cassandra was right...I need to be more hands-on and stop letting people conduct my affairs. The only reason, and I mean the only reason, Jocasta, that I’ve stayed my hand is because of your sister’s appeal. The last time she made such an appeal to me I disregarded it, and much misery resulted from it. I told her I wouldn’t make that mistake again, but my patience is limited. Find out what you will, and I will continue to stymie the tide, so to speak.”

Jocasta leaned away and looked exasperated. “Alright, that’s it. I’ve had enough. I wanted to help you, now you have to make your choices. Look here. Your government, the Terrician government, and Constantine are trying to corner my government with your damned self righteousness, and I will not have it. You can’t control this damned parliament of yours, they hate us so much, we’ll pull everything out. Everything. You can deal with Deweden and Rietumimark on your own, and enjoy your alliance with Constantine. This whore in your parliament is trying to shame my government, and you sit here like a flabby pillow not willing to do anything about it? Your staff are useless. Utterly. Useless.” she stood up and began to walk to the door.

“What would you have me do, Jocasta?” the Emperor asked with tears welling in his eyes. “I don’t know what to do. I feel like I’m being pulled in a thousand different directions, where the wrong decision could cost me the throne or the lives of my children, your nieces and nephews. You say that God’s will judges the deeds of men, but who will save my children?” the Emperor clearly didn’t want to cry, as he was fighting back the tears and wiping them from his eyes with his sleeves.

“If my government makes the wrong decisions, so badly wrong, we must save face in public.
We have to have something to show for it other than suppositions. If we stop supporting Michael, it has to be for really good reasons of national interest. Jedoria has to be removed from the picture--ideally by Constantine’s own decision. There has to be an agreement to a cease-fire to examine the wills. If Michael refuses, we know then that he’s not abiding by international law. And Constantine’s foreign allies have to agree to halt their invasion as well. Only then will New Edom back down from supporting Michael. To do anything else will damage our current government in power, give more power to the Free Congress. If your parliament opposes us in the way it is, we cannot trust your government to uphold our contracts then what’s the point of all this? We will find that she even tries to reduce treaties in her pursuit of power. If she cannot be controlled then some means must be found. But regardless Nathan--we’re not going to stop supporting Michael over this stupid inquest. And if we continue to support him, Michael will be victorious.”

“Then I will take it upon myself, personally, to appeal to Constantine to end his acceptance of support from Jedoria, and to make it publicly known,” Nathan said a bit more confidently. “I will also encourage him, and Michael, to accept a cease-fire. I believe that both of these things he will find agreeable given the grand scheme of things.” Standing up then on trembling knees, he added, “but if you think I will suffer Michael as Emperor of Latium, given his strong anti-Ghantish sentiment and the wrongs he’s supposedly committed against my people, then you are mistaken. So help me god Jocasta, whether you continue to support him or not, Michael will find himself on the short end of the rope if I have anything to do with it, if what he’s said and done is as true as I am inclined to believe.”

“The other matters?” said Jocasta, regarding him with her intense gaze. “The cease-fire, the withdrawal of foreign troops to be discussed, and the end of this inquest?”

“Sorry, it’s been a long day,” Nathan sighed heavily as he rubbed his forehead. “I’ll see what I can do about convincing both parties to make foreign troops withdraw and agree to a ceasefire. As for the inquest, well...Sara needs me to authorize any military expedition. To raise and deploy armies requires my assent, and to do so without it is treason. Sara knows this, and that’s why she’s squeezing me as hard as she is. She can squeeze a little while longer.”

“Then what is she trying to achieve?” demanded Jocasta.

To her question, Nathan shrugged. “Political capital. She knows that the people and half the nobility want to wage war against Michael, and she wants to deliver the goods, if you will. Enough of all that though...I should go lie down. I’m terribly stressed, and in dire need of rest.”

Jocasta checked the delicate little watch on her wrist. “You go and rest. Maybe order a pizza, and play a video game or something. Don’t rest too long though.” she kissed him on the cheek and headed out of the room, her eyes hot, and paused a moment to compose herself before leaving. Then she paused. “You know, you should plan though to meet with Nymun, Malibar, Cassandra and Sophia today. Make sure that Theodora is unavailable. Make the calls now.”

“...I’ll have Alexia do that,” he nodded as he yawned, though he shook his head and said “no pizza or video games though...I don’t need those kinds of distractions. I just need to get my mind right.”

“I’ll wait.” said Jocasta, glancing at his phone.

“You’ll wait?” Looking at her looking at his phone, he narrowed his eyes. “I’ll take care of it, and you should trust me that I will. I don’t need a babysitter.”

“You don’t?” said Jocasta. “Then don’t rest now, get the meeting started yourself and take care of things like a man, like a head of state.”

Nathan folded his arms and said “fine, that’s what I’ll do then. Satisfied?”

“Great!” said Jocasta brightly, and sat down and waited, smiling at him.

“...Nice talking to you Jocasta, I’ll see you later.” With that, the Emperor pulled out his phone and turned to leave the room as he texted.

Jocasta clucked her tongue. She abruptly got up, and walked out of the room and walked past the two soldiers and up to Michael, her expression serene. “I need to talk to Amenmar at once,” she informed him.

“You were in there awhile,” Michael observed from the chair he had been lounging on. “Either it went exceptionally well or especially poor…”

Jocasta murmured, “Comme ci, comme ca. This country is a bloody madhouse a lot of the time. No one ever seems to have a clear policy or to be in charge. He’s entirely unreliable. The advisors we’ve appointed have failed. We may just have to let this pass.” Michael would know her well enough to know she was entirely furious, which tended to make Jocasta cold and chilly and more determined.

“I think he’s just overreacting to things and being emotional because of what he heard during that Inquiry,” Michael caressed her back gently. “My father has things well enough in hand, I believe. Just give it time to sort itself out. It always does. There’s too much at stake to do anything drastic, and everyone here knows that. So try not to get too upset about it, okay?”
Jocasta looked at him sharply. “Fine.” she said coldly to him. “Then there’s nothing more to say on the subject.” However her mind was already working swiftly. Her husband was entirely too content, too passive. The Ghantish seemed to never take anything but their feelings and appetites seriously. It was all like a stupid abstract game to them.

“Come, let’s go relax, shall we?” Michael proposed gently as he got up from his chair.

“See Amenmar first though,” Jocasta said.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:42 am

Co-written with NEW EDOM.

Avantine, Novitera
National Directorate

Negotiations Continued...

“Yes...yes...I suppose we should.” Said North.

“If I may…” Interjected Takeshi. “I see what you’re saying Miss Finnhald. We would definitely be interested in that. But then again, these are promises of better trade relations, no CTO membership while Constantine has joined Latium to the CTO outright. We can’t trade chips in our pocket for a promise that isn’t even as attractive. Also, how can you guarantee this is the direction New Edom is going to go in. I know Count Lalery is making a bid for President of the Council but what about his opponent, General Nicanor? What happens to this promising new future if General Nicanor ascends to the Presidency? From what I understand his platform would not be conducive.” Mary questioned her politely.

Finnhald said, “It would not, you make a good point. But the committee hearings will only be over in about three weeks’ time. That is plenty of time in which to begin negotiations for a bilateral agreement between Novitera and New Edom. Then after the committee hearings, there has to be a period of discussion in the Chamber and then examination of their findings by the Monarchs. That would give enough time to complete negotiations and sign a trade agreement. New Edom has almost never backed out of a trade agreement with any nation which is not our enemy. You have but to examine our record of this, including of the present members of government.”

She sipped her tea and waited calmly. But her manner was friendly, as though she was talking with admirable friends of something of thoughtful importance.

“We cannot dispute that.” Setsuko commented.

“Us Noviterans like to think our reputation for honoring deals is solid as well. Which is why we can’t so callously flip on our own position. We also cannot upset our CTO Partners. Tericio, Gran Chaco, Jedoria and now Constatine’s Latium.” North stated. “Yes, it all seems very possible. So tell us Miss Finnhald, what would it take from our end?” He asked her.

“Keep in mind support is vague term. We have to define what that means for Novitera. What kind of support or lack thereof does Fineberg envision to make this work?” Mary added.

“First, there’s the question of whether Constantine’s government is actually a real government at all,’ Sif Said, lowering her cup. “After all, it’s a disputed will that has not been resolved to any international legal satisfaction. My government proposed that there should be a full investigation, perhaps by the CPO or by an internationally focused law firm or bank that could examine the matter. This hasn’t been done and there has been no sign of a cease fire between the disputing parties either. How is this any way to resolve a government issue over something so…” she waved a ahnd. “So much really bound up in legalities? And even if Constantine feels he has a strong case...what if he loses the war?”

Setsuko nodded. “Alright, we hear you. An impartial third party should do a legal investigation and come to a conclusion. I think the General-Secretary of the CPO would agree to calling for one if we asked him.” Especially since General-Secretary Caleb Kiyonaga was Noviteran after all and appointed by their government. “But tell us, what if the finding was that Constantine is the rightful ruler. Would Fineberg withdraw their support for Michael?”

“If Michael’s government also agreed to an examination of his will, of course,” said Sif with a nod. “Then it would be fair. Otherwise, without comparing both and agreement by both parties that it should be done, it’s a bit...academic.”

“And what if Michael’s government refuses while Constantine’s agrees? Such unwillingness to cooperate and enact proper procedure must surely be condemned by both our governments. Or at least, not supported.” North suggested with a grin.

Sif sighed. “Oh, that would be most unfortunate. In that case we would become suspicious. The same would apply to no international oversight of the investigation into the attack on teh Ghantish embassy...we would have to reluctantly admit that his government lacked legitimacy then.”

Setsuko smiled. “What a shame that would be. We should also ask, are there any other unfortunate circumstances you can foresee which might cause Fineberg to question the legitimacy of Michael’s government?”

Sif considered. “Not at the moment, I think that this covers the major issues. What does concern me greatly is that Jedorian issue. We could never not stand against an enemy of our faith-an outright enemy not prepared to disavow deliberate persecution of our emigres or our people. Now naturally we can hardly expect anyone to invade Jedoria and force a regime change!” she laughed and shook her head. “But what we do want is to have other nations put some pressure on them, and most particularly in this case on Constantine. After all...if Constantine had the support of other non-persecuting nations he would hardly need Jedoria would he?”

“You know…” Mary spoke up. “...we did speak to the Jedorians about their actions regarding Christians in their nation. I believed that a gesture of good faith, that the government does respect the rights of Christians, well that would go a long way. We suggested that they release a number of prisoners. Release them to Novitera and lock their passports. They can live a free life here where their rights to worship will be protected while no longer posing a threat to Jedoria if they actually happen to be terrorists. Also, that the Jedorians should have public and fair trials on those Christian detainees that really are terrorists. That way it would show that a legal process is being performed, that a crime has been committed and not just incarceration of Christians because they are Christian. We did not press the issue as much as we could have but certainly can now. I thought this would go a long way alleviating Fineberg’s concerns. What do you think Miss Finnhald?” She asked.

“If only they had listened!” said Sif sadly. She genuinely was sad. “Do you know how much it is costing us in personnel and materiel to keep defending Peregrino? We had worked out an agreement limiting how many troops could be kept there, and they reneged on it without the slightest thought, with utter contempt for us. So I think they do not care. They need to experience consequences in order to care. But I am very reassured to hear this, and that may even influence General Nicanor, who is suspicious that your government is funding efforts against him. In fact that would go a long way, knowing this, towards he and other more conservative elements of our government trusting yours.”

“Splendid!” Setsuko remarked.

“I think this is all possible. Very possible.” North stroked his chin. “But we want the process of the trade agreement to begin immediately. We want it negotiated and drafted then signed the moment we have held up our end.” He made his hand into a fist. “Finally we want Count Lalery’s word he will work towards similar agreements with all the other CTO nations in reasonable timeframe. With the exception of Republican Ashab of course.”

“I think this sounds very reasonable so far,” said Sif. “Why haven’t ‘we had this conversation before? Well because we’ve just met!” she said to Mary with a short laugh. “Yes I will say that Count Lalery is interested in bilateral agreements with most of the CTO nations. Of course these have to be reasonable and mutual beneficial agreements, not simply to the advantage of the CTO itself.”

“Here in Novitera we believe free-trade is to the advantage of everyone involved.” Said North confidently while standing. In turn the three of them offered their hands for a handshake.

“A pleasure speaking to you Miss Finnhald.” Said Takeshi.

“Poker night at my house this weekend if you’re interested. Two thousand dollar buy in but I’ll cover you and you get to rub elbows with some fatcats.” Setsuko informed quietly while shaking her hand.

“Oh Lord, you’ll ruin me,” she groaned. “Very well, how can I refuse such an opportunity?” with that she inclined her head politely after shaking hands and left.

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:49 am

To: Embassy of the United Enclaves of Tericio, Embassy of the Republic of Gran Chaco
Encryption: Moderate
Subject: Meeting

Dearest Friends,

There is a sensitive matter of great import our government need discuss with you concerning developments in Latium. We strongly urge both your ambassadors to the United Federation come to the Executive Center as soon as possible so the three of us can talk. I am confident the both of you and your respective governments will like what I have to say. If possible I would like to set a meeting tomorrow morning at 0900. Please respond promptly.

Sincerely,
Eric Douglas
Executor of State, United Federation of Novitera

Avantine, State of Soletrek, Novitera
Executive Center

The lounging area had been prepared for their arrival. Coffee and other drinks had been set out on a nearby table along with some pastries. Portraits of two past Prime Executors, Cody Arlen and Bryce Hiraku were on opposite walls. Both had plain looking expressions on their faces. Currently present today was Executor Eric Douglas munching on a granola bar and Senior Political Adviser Parker Gladwin who was busy leaning out the window smoking a cigarette. They waited for the arrival of the two ambassadors from Gran Chaco and Tericio. Gladwin finished up his smoke and looked to Douglas through his horn rimmed glasses. He could not help but think that he had managed to pull off a masterstroke right where Douglas was sitting. He had been held up late one night here working on an in-depth analysis with other think tank members and had a meeting in the morning. With only 2 hours to spare Gladwin had kindly told the staff he would be getting what sleep he could from one of the sofas on this room. That's when he made his move. He remembered it being not a difficult process. There was a blanket to hide his wrist movements from the camera. All he need do was pretend he was asleep and turn to the side facing the back of the sofa. I managed to actually do it. What a triumph that was! They don't know. None of them fucking know. They can never know. He thought. But maybe they did. Maybe the security realized what was going on in the camera feed. No, impossible! Save for my hands my body was still as a rock. I did it! The victory was mine!. But there was no use worrying about these things. If Gladwin had been caught someone would have said something by now or maybe they were all laughing behind his back. No. These mooks are oblivious. I'm too sneaky. Too clever. They'll never catch me. And Douglas...you're sitting in it you fool! You're sitting right where I brought myself to climax! Internally Gladwin had an intense feeling of satisfaction. He wanted to run to the bathroom right now and have himself another go. But his face was the same blank expression it always was. No, I must control myself less I be discovered. Such performances must be done with the same cold ruthlessness I do my job with. Gladwin thought about Trask's office. The physical office of the Prime Executor. Now that would be the dream wouldn't it? Perhaps one day.

"What are you looking at?" Douglas asked breaking him from his thoughts. Gladwin realized he was staring.

"I was just thinking maybe I should lead the discussion if you don't mind." He posed to the older man. You're a sucker Douglas. You're a fucking chump and I'm the only one who knows it!

"Fine by me." Said Douglas who went back to eating his granola bar.
Last edited by Novitera on Thu Jan 19, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 5 times in total.

Tericio
Spokesperson

Founded: May 12, 2014
Ex-Nation

Notare Tabellam Sanguine: Sudden Shifts

Postby Tericio » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:03 pm

ignore
Last edited by Tericio on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Estoni: "Tericio is just a happy foreigner in a panama hat and aviators throwing food at us."

Leasath
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Leasath » Thu Jan 19, 2017 3:17 pm

Tempesta Ocean, near Latin coast, aboard the IVV Thibault I
En-route to Hierapolis, Gela

The 15-vessel carrier strike force, led by the formidable aircraft carrier Thibault I, powered out into the wider Tempesta Ocean under decent conditions and a general sense of excitement amongst the crew. The Vannoisian Navy, revered and likely the strongest branch of the Imperial Military, was rarely deployed to active warzones; even then, to deploy the cream of the fleet in its flagship alongside her complement of cruisers, destroyers, and more was a sight to behold. Despite not knowing just where they were going, nor why, the crew had been informed that their mission was one issued directly by His Imperial Majesty, the young Emperor Louis XIX. Until recently, le petit Dauphin had been the target of general good feelings; as the future Emperor, and then as Emperor-Designate before his pronouncement as such, his name had always been said with some form of love in it. Now, however, things had changed.

Louis XIX sat the throne of Vannois, and with that authority he held the - hopefully - undying loyalty of the men that pledged their service to the Empire. One such man would of course be the leader of this strike force; chosen specifically by the new Emperor, as a loyalist and as a relative competent, the Admiral Georges Fleury was one of the more trustworthy men within the Imperial Navy when it came to Royal interests and as such he would likely see his career soar under their new leadership.

That is, so long as this mission was not failed. And he would ensure that it completed all the goals set out for him by His Imperial Majesty.

"Sir, we have entered the main body of the Tempesta; we should reach the location on schedule."

"Very well." Fleury had sat a bridge before; he had to, to be one of the few commoner leaders of the Vannoisian military. In fact, once upon a time he had been slated to command this exact carrier, when it had been under construction in the Saint-Nazaire docks. As fate would have it, however, he received his promotion first; a desk job in the capital awaited, and he rarely went out on any ship for more than a short tour nowadays. That being said, he was glad to be on the Thib as it was referred to by enlisted seamen, and should they encounter conflict on their way to this Latin city then he would be excited to see what Vannois' flagship could do under fire.

"Stay the course, helmsman."
Known as Malay

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Thu Jan 19, 2017 6:03 pm

Executive Center
Avantine, Novitera

Ambassador Miguel Trauco strode down the halls with long strides, whistling a tune and glancing at the paintings and photos that decorated the walls. Every so often one would speak to him and he would slow mid step, stop his whistling and take a moment to appreciate it. He truly enjoyed the frontier art of Novitera, it was so similar in many ways to that of southern Chaco, and yet had its own style that was entirely alien.

Miguel was an athletic man in his mid-forties, though with a suit on it was not that easy to tell just how good of an athlete he was. Miguel was not especially tall, he stood at 5’ 10” and could be mistake for an average joe, but in his younger days he was a star second baseman in college, and even had a successful season rookie season playing for Quito’s professional team. Then in the play offs he rounded third and charged the catcher to try and score the winning run. Miguel only accomplished a career ending shoulder injury in the play. His team had gotten the surgery on his shoulder in the hopes that they wouldn’t have to discard a successful draft pick, but he was never the same. He could no longer throw as far, and after even a game of soft ball his shoulder ached.

Since he studied Foreign Relations in college he decided to apply for the Foreign Ministry, and was given a job after a series of excited interviews that revolved more around his sports career than his knowledge of the outside world. But after over twenty years, Miguel had come into his own, and had gained enough success to be appointed ambassador to Novitera. He was a fun loving friendly man and tended to get along with just about anyone, because he took a genuine interest into whatever their work or hobbies were, even if it was just for simple chit chat.

The message from the Noviterans had been a bit perplexing, they had not quite seemed enthusiastic about involvement in the war in Latium before, and there had been rumors about possible dealings with Michael, but Miguel was optimistic. Miguel had commented to an aid “Why would they believe that we would like their news if it wasn’t good?”

Miguel reached the the door to the lounging area to find the Noviterans and the Tericans already arrived. He gave a jovial greeting to everyone in accented Latin “Ah good morning everyone, I see you are all here, I hope I have not kept you long.”

Miguel went around the room shaking hands and making small talk before asking if he could sit.
كان التيز سمين

Lacus Magni
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 02, 2011
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Lacus Magni » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:12 pm

The Duchess of Vindóbona
Palace of Augustus
Castellum, Latium

“God, finish already would you,” the Duchess said in the dark room, feeling one last thrust come through her before a man slumped over her and off to lay by her side. She pulled a bed sheet up to cover herself, turning her head to read the clock. 12:29 it read.

“That was amazin...I never fucked no noble ‘fore,” the man said with a notable lower class accent. “I mean, I swears I nearly had that Princess Maria outta her dress on more than one occasion. But...” the man rolled over to kiss Duchess Maria, moving a hand over her shoulder. She pushed him back.

“Keep running your mouth and it’ll be your last,” the Duchess said sternly, forcefully pushing the man back with a push of her hand against his chest. “That’s all, I won’t have need of you the rest of the night.”

“I can’t stay the night?” it was difficult for her to make out his smiled in the dark, but his crooked teeth were showing, so it must be a smile. She turned over towards her clock, ignoring him. “Course, yur Grace,” he finally rose from the bed, naked as the day he was born. The man gathered his uniform, dressing quickly and departed without another word as light briefly entered and then receded back as the door opened and closed.

The Duchess turned over once more with her eyes closed now. She had found it hard to sleep since sending her daughter and youngest child away from her presence, I don’t like being away from them, she thought before drifting back to the comfort that at least two of her sons were nearby. It wasn’t until Michael’s third and most recent attempt at escape that Duchess Maria sent her eldest son Justin away with her youngest two children, along with a small guard of around fifty or so of Caelius’ soldiers to keep their home estate intact and to ward off any would be looters. She didn’t have the slightest clue where her eldest, Theodora, had been. The two haven’t spoken in months, and the only news she’d heard was that Dora was safe, and that was via her son Justin.

Even still, Adrian she had sent away to see to the defenses in Castellum and Greater Alba in the event the battle in Kallipolis gave way in a less than desirable outcome or the bastard boy out of Hellas routed what remained in Ravenna. Now, only her second son George remained in Castellum with her. The 3rd Duke of Lomvardía...my titles, my right stolen from me, though she didn’t blame her son. It wasn’t though his actions that he came to hold her rightful titles, it was Jason and that whore Marsella, the woman she blamed for turning her own cousin against her. All of these thoughts kept her tossing and turning in the night, when she rolled to the clock again it read 2:44.

Then there was an abrupt and powerful knock at the door. This one won’t take the hint, she dwelled on the soldier that had just left her chambers. She didn’t respond, yet there was another knock and then an entry. With another room between her bed and the hallway in the Palace, the light from the hallway and then the entryway shined from underneath her door. The Duchess rose quickly, wrapping a thin, white nightgown over herself while she stormed out of her room. When she opened the door she was met by General Caelius, something most surprising.

He was out of breath, catching a look at her open nightgown before realizing what he was doing. He quickly averted his eyes as the Duchess held it tight against his chest. “Get a good look?” she snapped at the general, who’s look of concern didn’t fade. “What’s your meaning? Barging into my chambers like this.”

“We need to go now, Your Grace ,” a number of soldiers standing behind him became more apparent to the Duchess now.

“Now?” so many different thoughts thoughts entered the Duchess’ mind. Was the Ghantish bastard close? Has something happened to Adrian, to Justin or Helene and Jason? Is it Kallipolis? Michael? “Wh...wh...why now? What’s happened?”

The General cautiously looked around, mostly behind him and his small contingent of soldiers. “Michael, my Lady, he’s coming this way” Caelius closed his eyes and took a deep breath. “There’s no time, we need to go now.”

“No, I need to find George. Michael will kill him if he finds him,” Duchess Maria said without a thought, frantically trying to understand how it happened. One of Caelius’ soldiers rushed in, grabbing a jacket for the Duchess and took her by the arm. “Unhand me at once. I need to find my son.”

“His Grace has already been taken, I’m sorry. But we need to go,” Caelius took her by the other arm and rushed her out of the room. They entered the hallway to find six more of Caelius’ soldiers tucked against the side of each wall at the end of the far turn. They had weapons drawn and appeared to have her hallway secure for the time being. Caelius let go of her once they left the room, though the other wrapped the jacket around the Duchess and held her arm firmly as they rushed down the opposite end of the hall from the six soldiers.

There was shouting echoing throughout the walls of the palace in Latin and in Greek. It seemed surreal, she never envisioned he would escap. She always imagined she would present him with a victory and no opposition to the throne when they released him. They turned a corner, and another a few dozen feet away, her head snapped to their rear when she heard gunshots. “Don’t look, your Grace. We’re nearly at the motor pool,” the soldier gripping her arm told her. But it was no use.

When they came upon the entrance of the motor pool, a handful of soldiers emerged with their weapons drawn. “Drop your weapons,” the new group of soldiers in their parade uniforms shouted at her, Caelius and the rest. Behind them was a man dressed in a white uniform. God please be Adrian and these men loyal, she hoped. The two groups were stuck in a silent standoff until more began to appear from their rear.

“Do what they say,” Caelius reluctantly addressed his soldiers. One still gripped Duchess Maria’s arm, though it loosened and she shook it off as he lowered his weapon. They all looked at one another nervously, and then the leader in white spoke.

“You and you, to the Emperor,” he stepped forward pointing at the Duchess and General, revealing himself to be Peter Laetorius, a member of Emperor Michael’s guard. He slowly approached Duchess Maria with a cunning smile. “Take the others as prisoners, we’ll deal with them shortly.”

Laetorius gave the Duchess a yank at her arm, tearing at the sleeve of the jacket she wore. She stumbled down to the ground, though felt another yank as Laetorius toyed with her. “Get up now, woman,” he laughed at her. “We haven't got all damn night.”

The walk seemed to drag on for an eternity and she kept her eyes forward the entire time until they passed by her apartment door. Then she looked to Caelius. The man was praying to himself under his breath, he must have imagined this was the end. He knew what he was getting into when we locked the boy up, she thought, though the reality of her circumstances hadn’t quite hit her just yet. The soldiers must not have liked her looking at Caelius for so long as she felt a rough pain in her back, sending her to the floor.

When they continued along, it became clear they were being taken to the throne room. There was more and more shouting as they navigated the hallways until finally she could hear only laughter coming from inside the room. It was Michael, of that the Duchess was sure. There were other sounds coming from within, but all she could fixate on was the laughing. How could a boy laugh during this. She began to plead with Laetorius and the other soldiers.

“Please. It was all his idea. He...he made me do those things” she dropped to her knees and kissed Laetorius’ hand, blaming the entire event on Caelius. Laetorius just laughed at her. “I have money...I’ll give you any amount you want. Anything, please.”

“Oh woman, on your knees like that...there’s only one thing I’d want,” Laetorius laughed along with some of the soldiers, though not all. “Any other time perhaps. No funny business, ain’t that right lads.” He gripped her by the arm and rose her to her feet so easily.

When the doors opened, the laughing was in full force. Atop the throne sat Michael, with a surprise in Councilor Flavius Gavius standing nearby, seemingly having a normal conversation with the Emperor. It wasn’t until Laetorius let go of her, tossing her to the floor that Michael ceased his talking with the Councillor and took a look at the Duchess.

“Maria Optima to see you, Caesar,” Laetorius bellowed out once he had Michael’s attention.

“Oh, your Grace,” Michael stood from the throne. He took a step down with eyes closed and making a fist, slowly approaching her. “I’m so glad we found you.”
Admin and Member of Ajax (Discord)
Active Projects
Latium (Map) | Sydalon (Map) | Gelonia (Map) | Vardana (Map)

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:05 pm

Avantine, Novitera
Executive Center

The two ambassadors were ushered in by aides. Uniformed security guards carried M-4s or MP5s while there were menacing looking men in suits. A couple of other government officials carrying briefcases could be seen walking past them in the hallways chattering about mundane things. They passed a window where a couple of these men could be seen standing right outside smoking cigarettes and talking to each other animatedly. As Fallone and Trauco entered the two Noviterans greeted them in turn with curt pleasantries and handshakes. Douglas made sure to introduce Gladwin as he might have been a less known figure.

"Mr. Fallone, Mr. Trauco, please sit down." Douglas asked them politely. "Mr. Gladwin and I have talked about the situation which he is about to discuss with you. Know that his word represents the position of the United Federation. Also know that we have to move quickly on this."

Gladwin cleared his throat. "Several members of our Directorate met with the New Edomite ambassador yesterday. It was very productive. We believe there is an amicable solution to what is going on in Latium that satisfies all our interests here. There is a way to get the Edomites to withdraw from the conflict which I'm sure all of your governments would want." He paused there for effect. "First, there must be a legal investigation and hearing on the matter of succession by an impartial third party. That's what they want. Soon the CPO General-Secretary is going to call for such a inquest. We need both your nations to endorse the inquest and pressure Constantine to submit to it if need be." He said in a deadpan manner.

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Thu Jan 19, 2017 11:28 pm

Executive Center
Avantine, Novitera

Miguel sat for a minute thinking on what Gladwin had told him. He straitened and looked over at the Terican to see if he would speak when the Terican motioned to Miguel went first. There had to me more to this or at least some catch Miguel gave a big grin and a laugh, “Well Directors, the withdrawal of Edomite forces would me most welcome” He looked around the room smiling to the mostly stone faces around him, “however I feel as if there is a bit more to this.”

Shifting in his seat he began again, “Let me to ask, why would New Edom send troops if they were so willing to pull them out after a CPO investigation? If they are not truly committed to Michael’s case, then why did they not ask for this beforehand? Is there something that they believe to know that is hidden from us that could come out in such an investigation causing public humiliation? You know I would hate to get caught with my pants down over something like this”

Miguel looked around the room again trying to find a smile. He shrugged and went on, “Surely New Edom knows of the low opinion the Chacano government has of the CPO, that they are all about violating sovereignty and what not, do they think maybe that we would refuse and cause a fraction in the alliance or at least look like war mongers in the eyes of the international community? Forgive my hesitation but I guess I don’t understand why would they demand something so simple without a catch?”
كان التيز سمين

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:15 am

Avantine, Novitera

Gladwin looked at where Trauco was sitting. Secretly he wished he had a triumph there as well. I could have done it. There were opportunities. I shouldn't have been so content! "The Edomites are in Latium for 2 reasons. One, they have to oppose Jedoria in geopolitical affairs. The Jedorian have been too hostile for them not to and as you all are aware, Fineberg is very interventionist when it comes to their national security. But we'll talk about that point later. The second reason is they can't withdraw without saving face first. It could cause too much political damage for the powers that be there. They would look like fools for committing such a blunder and weaklings for giving up so easily. So, let's give them something face saving." He said.

"I doubt Michael, in his arrogance, will not submit to an inquest. Also we'll...antagonize him a bit to dissuade him from agreeing. A simple phone call will do that. If he does not agree, I've been assured by the New Edomite Ambassador they'll see it as Michael being distastefully uncooperative and have no choice but to withdraw their support." Parker explained. "If Michael does agree then an inquest will be done. A peaceful, legal and diplomatic process will happen or at least appear so. The public will view it as the more virtuous course of conflict resolution. If the results of the inquest are not to our liking then we'll challenge the validity of the affair. Litigation can go that way sometimes. Judges not being impartial, investigators fabricating evidence, unfair prejudice... these things happen. It is a shame they do but it is the duty of righteous men and women like those in our government to contest." He said blandly then continued. "If we hold up on our end, we've been promised that Fineberg will enact trade agreements with all CTO nations with the exception of Republican Ashab and Jedoria for reasons you must all be aware of. They cannot become official members of the CTO but can sign trade deals that match the provisions on a bilateral basis with each of us. Trade and their withdrawal from the conflict. That should give Constantine the upper hand."

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:36 am

Executive Center
Avantine, Novitera

“Why the hell does he keep looking at my seat?” Miguel thought and glanced down to try and spot any irregularities on the sofa. He saw none quickly decided to ignore it and to ask a follow up about the Edomite proposal, “Well this sounds very nice indeed Director. If that is all they need to save face than I believe it would be reasonable to ask this of Constantine, especially if as you say, you have no true belief that Michael will go along with it.”

Miguel clucked his tongue, “As for the other concern, what would you suggest be done with the Jedorians? I admit relations are straining more and more between us and them, but uh they are kind of necessary at the moment for the protection of our troops. They make up about a third of the ground forces and most of the naval. Anyways how do you think they’d respond if we just told them to get lost? Look if there is a way that would be fine, but we would need the Jedorians replaced for the sake of our troops safety. Would Novitera be willing to provide such support? What would New Edom think of that?”

Miguel picked up his coffee cup and took a sip, and waited for the reply. The new information was making the situation look better, and if he could get support then it would be nice to separate with the Jedorians. They had been harder and harder to deal with of late and kept denying their persecution of Christians, making it more difficult to stand by them. This conflict had given some people in the government the feeling that they were shackled to a corpse as the credibility of the new Jedorian government was getting worse all the time.
كان التيز سمين

Tericio
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Notare Tabellam Sanguine: Cordial Caution

Postby Tericio » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:05 pm

ignore
Last edited by Tericio on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Estoni: "Tericio is just a happy foreigner in a panama hat and aviators throwing food at us."

Lacus Magni
Diplomat

Postby Lacus Magni » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:22 pm

Constantine
John XIII Administrative Building
Olympia, Latium

Having left Adrianople under care of the Senate for the time being, Constantine had embarked on yet another travel of the surrounding area; this time would his first to Olympia since he became Emperor and his first since graduating from Olympia Military Academy. He had only told the Consul the true reasons of his visit, for the rest of his cabinet and the senate leadership, they assumed he had traveled to secure officers and the cadets, not an entirely false assumption to make.

Olympia had been a small mountain town for much of its lengthy history, though since the founding of Latium’s premier military service academy, the town quickly grew in prominence and in stature. When the young Emperor arrived in Olympia late the night before, he was greeted by the current Superintendent, retired Strategos John Cluentius. His greeting was more standoffish than Constantine had expected, though Superintendent Cluentius had always been a stern individual. “Caesar,” Cluentius dipped his head when Constantine and his Praetorian bodyguards arrived in front of him at the steps of the school’s main administrative building. “The cadets have seen to it that all your requests have been prepared.”

Constantine reached to shake his former dean’s hand with a solemn look on his face. “You have my gratitude, Strategos,” moonlight looked on the Emperor with the dim lighting from outside the building being turned off. Two Praetorians halted their movement behind Constantine, though many more continued into the building right on past the Superintendent and the other administrators or cadets that stood with him. “I hope we’ll have a moment for discussion once this is through.”

“Certainly, Your Majesty,” Cluentius nodded with the Praetorians whisking around him with ease. “I’d like that very much. Cadets Tsamplakos and Ovidia will see you to your destination. Should you have need of me, I’ll be in my office.”

With that one of Constantine’s rear Praetorians stepped aside to allow Superintendent Cluentius and enter the building. “Your Majesty,” the two Cadets saluted the Emperor. He assumed the female among them was Ovidia, with the male being the Greek Tsamplakos. Both had a similar appearance of matching dark brown hair and official cadet parade dress uniforms. Constantine and his guard followed the pair of cadets into the Byzantine style building, and up the main, winding steps to their stop. The walls were lined with photographs of every graduating class, with Constantine’s class being the first at the base of the stairs as the most recent class.

At the summit of the steps, they turned a corner and found one of his Praetorians standing before the door. This will be it then, he thought when the Praetorian swung open the door. Inside it had the look of a study room, with walls of books and portraits, and fine furniture. Those few inside stood at attention when he entered, he saw his Praetorian Prefect John Santella first, followed by his uncle Prince Theodosius and finally his brother Peter who promptly returned to his seat. He’s still upset with me.

“Nephew,” his Uncle dipped his head before approaching Constantine. The man was a near spitting image of Emperor Jason, though with a beard and complete lack of emotion on his face. His Uncle took a good look at the Emperor, grabbing his shoulders before exchanging a quick embrace. It was the most affection Constantine had ever seen out of his uncle before, that was surprising. “It’s good to see you in fine health.”

“You as well, uncle. I’m glad you could make the time,” Constantine smiled to his Uncle and then took a quick look to Peter and finally Prefect Santella. “What’s wrong?”

“In time. There are more pressing matters to attend. Please...sit,” Theodosius offered Constantine the seat next to his own, which he promptly took. “I’m sure you know by now that I spoke with your brother some time ago. We spoke of a few things, the few things I could actually mention before he proposed I simply leave.”

“How did he seem?” Constantine inquired, Theodosius taking hold of a cup of tea and saucer when the question was asked. He paused before taking a sip.

“Unnerved. Angry. Unsteady,” Theodosius winced, his tea too hot. “I offered him advice and counsel, just as I intend to do for you. First, I ask you to come to some sort of ceasefire with your brother. End this fighting, end the suffering. Your father wouldn’t want it, and the people certainly don’t.”

As always, all business, Constantine thought before replying. “I’ve made every attempt at peace with him. Yet after his first rejection, all my later attempts have seen to be lost to the wind. I offered him…”

“A pardon, yes I know. He told me as much,” Theodosius interrupted with a nod. “And did you think he’d find that enticing enough to give up Castellum?”

“I don’t care what he does or doesn’t find enticing. He is not the Emperor by law, right or custom,” Constantine spoke quickly. “And he killed father. A pardon is more than he deserves.”

“That it may be, but without any proof of his actions against your father, my own brother, there is naught we can do on that front,” Theodosius looked to Prefect Santella next. “Do we have any proof of this Prefect?”

“Aside from Empress Marsella’s assertion of such events? No, Your Highness, we don’t,” the Prefect didn’t care for how hard the truth of his statement had been. “If we reach Castellum, we may have a better chance of proving these accusations.”

“How? There aren’t any cameras in his private study as far as I’m aware. None he told me of and he would have,” Theodosius appeared the skeptic, as did Constantine.

“...That’s not entirely true, sir,” Prefect Santella labored to speak. “In the last few months of His Imperial Majesty’s life...he had growing concerns of his personal health and well other things. He wanted it a private matter and swore me to secrecy. Only myself and one other Praetorian had knowledge of this and the cameras we installed.”

“Euforbenos I expect,” Theodosius mused, expecting to hear that the cousin of Jason’s wife was involved. Santella shook his head no. “But it makes no difference, we are not in Castellum and we can’t change that today.”

“We could change that if you were to join your neutral legions with my own,” Constantine spoke to the true reason he wanted to see his uncle. “The obligations of being Emperor has fallen to me by every law in Latium. I have a duty to my father, to the country that I must fulfill. Join them with mine and this farce will be over quicker than any southern barbarian can say Theophylactopolis.”

“Your brother made the same demand of me. I told him no,” Theodosius stated, sniffing his nose. “My goal, and that of the entire non-aligned officers, is to resolve this peacefully, with minimal loss of life. Something all of these foreigners are making extremely difficult, I do admit.”

“Very well, that ties into another matter that I’d like to discuss,” Constantine changed the subject. “During my travel, we received a leak that the Noviteran government had desires to assist Michael in exchange for joining Latium to the CTO.”

“Are you attempting to rationalize to me why you have joined the CTO?” his uncle didn’t appear pleased by the news.

“What was I to do? There was no other option, lest we face a neighboring invasion. I didn’t want to, but I saw no other way,” Constantine tried to justify the decision to his uncle, though he appeared to agree with none of it.

“A vocal minority the non-aligned may have protested if I had done what I’m about to say, but they’d swallow their pride if push came to shove,” Constantine looked curiously to his uncle as the man spoke to him. “If they had done that, we would have seen that as an unlawful invasion and unlawful use of force against Latium. Anything that could have been done to push them back from their invasion, from a military and diplomatic standpoint would have been done. I will not have foreigners invading, raping or harming our people. I won’t. The reason we have thus far only seen to the refugees and those feeing their homes is because all these foreign barbarians have done created a middling annoyance to this game your brother created. Combined, you and your brother may have the lion share of soldiers, but we have much of the air force.”

“So you’re saying…” Constantine was interrupted by his uncle.

“You know exactly what I’m saying, nephew. You’re smart enough, don’t make me spell it out for you. I wouldn't stand for hostile foreign invasions against the Crown or the People. But doesn't mean I wouldn't take all these legions away from you and Michael if I could. I'd lock the two of you in a room together if you were my children,” Theodosius quickly explained, prompting Constantine’s next question. "God knows thats what your mother should have done.”

“And who is the Crown, in your personal opinion?” Constantine asked, ignoring the attack on his mother.

Theodosius eyed Constantine with gritted teeth. “No one has ever used the damned Felixian Edict for succession, not even Felix II himself. It’s an old, antiquated law that was irrelevant the moment Felix had an heir of his body and even moreso by the Acts of Succession.”

That made Constantine let out a huge sigh of relief. While he knew it meant his uncle would never take up arms against him and only intervene in the most specific set of circumstances, he recognized how foolish Michael’s claim to be. “I’m glad to hear that. Not all share that opinion, I fear. Least of all the Edomites. When I reached out to invite them to negotiations, they flat out called me Prince and said they recognized Michael as Emperor.”

To:Prince Constantine of Latium
Subject: Imperial Succession
Encryption: Most Secret, Eyes Only

My dear Constantine

I am very sorry for your losses, and I am very sorry that things have come to a violent pass. I wish that there were some other solution, and indeed I am exploring them. I hope that there can be some clarity as to what has taken place.

As far as we understand it, there are two wills, but one appears to have been pronounced the true will of yoru late father. This will, we understand, was the one which was read honouring Michael, whom we now acknowledge as Emperor of the Latins.

Of course, I do not pretend we are infinitely wise. I would be glad to consider what other particulars are involved with this, but you see no one from our government was spoken to nor invited to any inquiry with you, whereas the opposite happened with Michael. And while one of your new allies, the republic of Gran Chaco, is an honourable nation, we are worried about your alliance with an anti-Christian nation, Jedoria, which deliberately persecutes Christians. This aggressive fascist state is as dangerous as Rietumimark and we cannot in conscience side with such a nation.

We are happy however to entertain negotiations with yourself, your officials and whomever supports you from the Empire of Ghant or the Republic of Gran Chaco.

I am
Mara the First
Queen of the Allied States

He handed the message to his Uncle. “It’s not like you to created these imagined slights, Constantine,” Theodosius sipped at his tea calmly after placing the letter down. “Did you speak with the Senate on this response?”

“With the leadership briefly, before...well before my anger got the best of me,” Constantine looked down at his tie and winced.

“And you better ensure that it doesn’t again. This is a dangerous game, and every other player is waiting for you to slip up. Don’t blindly trust Government, especially in times like these. Your father should have taught you that much,” Theodosius handed the letter back to him when the two cadets from earlier brought food for the group to enjoy. He waited for them to leave before speaking again. “They care about you so long as they receive advancement.”

“I know. I’ve dined with the Consul and his family numerous times,” Constantine sighed, watching his brother, Peter, place down the book he was reading and approach the newly arrived food. “And I’m not foolish enough to ignore what they’re doing with their daughter...hanging her out there like that. I just can’t tell if she has a part in it, she seems very sweet but…”

“Pompilius is a politician, not the devil. My cousin often spoke to your father about him like he was some kind of demon who would overtake us if not careful. He’s a man, nothing more. A rather levelheaded man and one dedicated to country from what I’ve seen. No doubt he joined to your cause for a set reason though and did so early on.” Theodosius touched his fingers to his forehead lightly while he thought. “Don’t take that to mean these politicians are harmless. They're not. Be careful around them, nephew.”
Active Projects

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:57 pm

Avantine, Novitera
Executive Center

“As for the other concern, what would you suggest be done with the Jedorians? I admit relations are straining more and more between us and them, but uh they are kind of necessary at the moment for the protection of our troops. They make up about a third of the ground forces and most of the naval. Anyways how do you think they’d respond if we just told them to get lost? Look if there is a way that would be fine, but we would need the Jedorians replaced for the sake of our troops safety. Would Novitera be willing to provide such support? What would New Edom think of that?”

Douglas spoke up. "Mr. Trauco, are you asking us to replace the Jedorians and be engaged in the conflict against Michael and New Edom? That is the purpose of the Jedorians being there is it not?"

"The Edomites are willing to offer us this deal without asking us to pressure the Jedorians to withdraw. The Jedorian troops act not only as a useful buffer for your own expedition, but also for any Noviteran forces, should they enter the theater as well. There is no need to weaken our coalition against Michael when a favorable settlement with the Edomites has already been extended. As I understand it, our deliverable to New Edom is the ultimate conclusion of this crisis and providing a dignified exit path to Fineburg."

Gladwin looked to Fallone. It would seem he did not understand the situation as clearly. Fallone believed Tericio already had all the chips it needed in its pocket. Gladwin knew better. Secretly wished it was Fallone who was sitting his triumph. Damn! The creepy looking Gladwin leaned forward in his chair. "I guarantee that the Edomites will not withdraw or make peace with the Jedorians still there. That is a major reason they have forces in the area in the first place. As I said..." He spoke really slowly. "Fineberg must oppose the Jedorians aggressively in geopolitical affairs. All you'll get is more war and if the Edomites start losing they'll bring more forces to the conflict as they are very well capable of. They will refuse. Your diplomatic efforts will fail." Gladwin leaned back in his seat and spoke in his normal monotone voice again. "But don't worry, we have an alternate solution on the Jedorians. Fineberg just needs a gesture from them to display that they are not persecuting Christians. We will try to get the Jedorians to do it first. Release some prisoners, have some public trials, that sort of thing. Show that due process is being done."

Turning solely to the Noviterans, pursed his lips and delicately balanced the glass on his pleated pants. "Which is a question best answered by our Noviteran partners. Would the terms of the agreement allow Chaco and your government that measure of consideration?"

"I don't understand what you are asking. Please elaborate." Replied Gladwin.

Momentarily unsure, Fallone nevertheless pressed home. "Confidentially, Executor, this proposed agreement closely parallels what the United Enclaves and New Edom have been considering. I am told our Ambassador Broggi and their Foreign Minister Geta have had very fruitful- dinners- on the subject. The point being: the proposed process is certainly worth discussing, but I would find an assurance of Novitera's support for Constantine much more critical. Should the trial find truly legitimate evidence to the contrary of his claim, the United Enclaves would be more than willing to reenter dialogue with its friends-" Ricario gestured to the men in the room "-about the status of our support. But until then, solidarity in action and intention is of utmost importance to our government.

"No." Douglas declared bluntly. The grey haired older man sat up in his seat. "We won't support Constantine anymore than we have which was endorsing Latium's entrance to the CTO. This government cannot. Some kind of public declaration would jeopardize the deal we have with the Edomites. Conservative elements in Fineberg will use that as ammunition to block the trade agreement they have on the table. Military support would destroy any chances of the deal altogether, lead us into war and escalate the conflict. On the table we have a solution that gets us another trade deal, Edomite withdrawal, a weakening of Michael's position and peace for Novitera. That is a better action to take, the better outcome. That is the only solution this government is going to pursue." He said harshly.

Gladwin raised a hand. "Please Executor." He paused to make sure Douglas was done speaking. "One step at a time. Lets settle the matter of the inquest first before we discuss anything else. I need to hear from both of you that you'll tell your governments to pressure Constantine to submit to the inquest once the CPO calls for it."

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:40 pm

Leasath wrote:
Tempesta Ocean, near Latin coast, aboard the IVV Thibault I
En-route to Hierapolis, Gela

The 15-vessel carrier strike force, led by the formidable aircraft carrier Thibault I, powered out into the wider Tempesta Ocean under decent conditions and a general sense of excitement amongst the crew. The Vannoisian Navy, revered and likely the strongest branch of the Imperial Military, was rarely deployed to active warzones; even then, to deploy the cream of the fleet in its flagship alongside her complement of cruisers, destroyers, and more was a sight to behold. Despite not knowing just where they were going, nor why, the crew had been informed that their mission was one issued directly by His Imperial Majesty, the young Emperor Louis XIX. Until recently, le petit Dauphin had been the target of general good feelings; as the future Emperor, and then as Emperor-Designate before his pronouncement as such, his name had always been said with some form of love in it. Now, however, things had changed.

Louis XIX sat the throne of Vannois, and with that authority he held the - hopefully - undying loyalty of the men that pledged their service to the Empire. One such man would of course be the leader of this strike force; chosen specifically by the new Emperor, as a loyalist and as a relative competent, the Admiral Georges Fleury was one of the more trustworthy men within the Imperial Navy when it came to Royal interests and as such he would likely see his career soar under their new leadership.

That is, so long as this mission was not failed. And he would ensure that it completed all the goals set out for him by His Imperial Majesty.

"Sir, we have entered the main body of the Tempesta; we should reach the location on schedule."

"Very well." Fleury had sat a bridge before; he had to, to be one of the few commoner leaders of the Vannoisian military. In fact, once upon a time he had been slated to command this exact carrier, when it had been under construction in the Saint-Nazaire docks. As fate would have it, however, he received his promotion first; a desk job in the capital awaited, and he rarely went out on any ship for more than a short tour nowadays. That being said, he was glad to be on the Thib as it was referred to by enlisted seamen, and should they encounter conflict on their way to this Latin city then he would be excited to see what Vannois' flagship could do under fire.

"Stay the course, helmsman."

Tempesta Ocean
UFS Cathan

The Virginia-Class submarine moved beneath the waves of the Tempesta as the silent predator it was. A marvel of Noviteran engineering built upon the technological success of their digital age. Commander Sasaki was checking reports on a clipboard while absentmindedly picking his nose. Around him were the various consoles manned by highly trained technicians. They sat at their seats, quiet with the brief remark to each other here and there. It was an environment of buttons and monitors. Those consoles operated some of the most sophisticated technology available to man.

"Conn, sonar. Contact. Many screws. It's a carrier battle group." The voice said.

Sasaki immediately stood up. "Set general quarters and rig ship for ultra quiet. Helm, slow to one-third." He ordered calmly. This happened. They passed other military vessels while out on the sea. It did not hurt to be prepared and they would be easier to track if they did not know a UFN submarine was out there watching. General quarters on the submarine was done very quietly. The chief of the boat's voice echoed Sasaki's orders on the ship's intercomm. In a sober silence men all around the vessel moved to their combat positions. Sasaki picked up the intercomm. Already the range, course and bearing of the detected ships was being uploaded from sonar onto the weapons technician's console. Already the technician was having the submarine's computer plot firing solutions for their Mk.48 torpedos and harpoon missiles.

"You have the Conn. Take us away from that fleet." Said Sasaki to Brendan, his XO.

Sasaki made his way to the sonar room feeling a bit of excitement. Sometimes weeks passed before they had to do this sort of work that mattered most to a navy at peace, knowing what everyone else was doing with their ships. As he was leaving he heard the XO giving orders. "Helm, Right 25 degrees rudder...."

"Have you determined how many ships?" Sasaki asked when he got there. A beady eyed tech was busy working the controls, isolating each of the screws and counting.

"15 sir. Definitely a battle group." He replied.

Sasaki looked at the readings on his screen. "Looks like they're headed south. Possibly towards the strait. Give me the classes." That took time to work out the class of each ship and how many of each class there were. But one thing was certain, it was Vannoisian.

Upon return to the conn Sasaki cleared his throat. "We have priority 1 intelligence. Keep current course. We'll be floating the buoy once we get away."

Two hours later the submarine went to a stop. Sasaki had the crew stand down from general quarters an hour ago. Once sonar assured Sasaki that nothing was out there that could hear he ordered stop, let the towed sonar array fall, while a buoy was sent up on a line to the surface. The process was quiet enough but they still had to be careful. A signal was sent out containing the data of their find. The ship classes, their bearing and course at last contact. The signal bounced off a military satellite went to SUBCOMM at Dodixie Naval Base who would then forward the information to Naval Intelligence. The Noviterans knew.
Last edited by Novitera on Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:16 pm

Executive Center
Avantine, Novitera

Miguel smiled at the question, Noviterans were cold and blunt they said what they meant and would not beat around the bush. That was nice, to be able to discard diplomatic niceties. It kept communication clear.

“Yes director, that is indeed the reason why the Jedorians are there. However, we feel quite confident that you would not come into contact with Edomite forces, should you choose to help us out. The Jedorians refused to supply more than a brigade of marines on the ground, and frankly we cannot support any more troops so far from home, so the chance of any offensive is very low. We are in defensive positions around the city. We have been sending out probes and large patrols trying to make it look like we intend to move, but this is to keep some of Michaels boys focused away from Constantine. Now if the Jedorians left, the ground force would shrink by 1/3 alone. Not to mention the loss in air coverage from their carrier, this might encourage Michael to attack south. Also the loss of most of the fleet would be most encouraging to our enemies, would it not?”

Putting his elbows on his knees and leaning forward Miguel got to the point, “If you are asking us to get rid of the Jedorians than yes, I am asking you to replace the force. I believe that it would be a show force, that would probably not face serious combat, and certainly not against the Edomites. We want to keep a strong front especially now. It could perhaps be passed off as a replacement since Novitera is so much closer, or that internal troubles forced the withdrawal of the Jedorian forces. Whatever reason is fine; we would prefer not to have our men stuck in a weakened position that frankly we never wanted to be in in the first place.”
كان التيز سمين

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:37 pm

The Harbinger of despair
The Artemis Strait
The Colossi’s gulf
Open seas

LU

The Admiral Lu Chichu was especially disappointed by his particular assignment this time, to be the parent of the mad child who happened to be planned to be leading operations in Latium. He was drinking tea upon his particular bridge, onboard the Chen-Lin Missile battle cruiser which served as the flagship of the 4th Carrier Task Force - a force which unsurprisingly to many was often one of the less glamorous postings in the Order of the seas. Usually stationed in the waters south of Akai proper, it retained a certain aura staticity and permanence as it patrolled some of the safest waters in all Akai. The Heihui bay was always covered by an innumerable amount of missiles ranging from the huge lumbering anti-ship ballistic missiles which so many in Akai had been itching to test on various real targets to the relatively small Huangfeng-44 that his ships were so frequently loaded with. Yet despite this it was quite the task force regardless, the Vacant Vanity was the other especially proud ship which dominated the fleet along with the Harbinger. Lu always found pleasure observing the various aircraft landing and taking off from it. He had memorised the times now so he could continually find the pleasure he enjoyed, but generally, it was the various AEW&C aircraft which went off to perform their most valuable of jobs, the escorts and the occasional supply craft. The rest of the fleet was composed of the increasingly curious destroyers and frigates which were employed and a few cruisers to provide the needed support when ready.

As he drank his tea in relative solitude - the ship operating as smoothly and as calmly, undisturbed by the anger of the waves which struck the mighty hull of the Harbinger. There was a blue glow from the various screens and equipment installed - monitored by the drone like men and women who served their roles and robotically performed their roles. They were often uncanny in their ability to respond to the various streams of information that must pour into their minds. If Chichu could recall correctly, there were quite a few rumours going around that some were savants to some degree.

Chichu’s role in this operation was not to get directly involved at least for now. These were Akai ships and they were escorting the ships of a PMC which officially speaking was on lease to foreign forces in Latium. Officially speaking Prince Yanfeng’s Waidiyi was contracted with such operations and in the name of Emperor Michael, when asked. Officially Akai had no role in Latium.

Yet this was not the case, in reality, and to most however legal loopholes provided a comfortable place for the Akai to operate in. These were closer to the volunteers found in other wars, the ones such as the Demphorian volunteers in the Social War. Thanks to Molxue’s many developments doctrinally, Akai had become increasingly exploitive of the various loopholes and details in international law to avoid the various issues which plagued it in the past. Many members of the old guard were wanted for various war crimes dating back to 1984.

Yet it was intended for Chichu not to get directly involved in the affairs which plagued this operation, no command for this lay at the hands of a certain Colonel 'Huo-tiantang-jian'. Chichu was quite aware that it was a codename, one handed out to one of Jieke’s old cadre of expert officers. The Tiantang-jians as they came to be known were seen as swords of the God who sat upon the kneeling throne - the Ditu - a mere extension of his will. Chichu suspected that Molxue himself was once among their ranks. But regardless their reputation was clear, for they achieved whatever result may be desired. He was in command of an expeditionary brigade, it consisted of two tank regiments armed with modified Z90 Jin jiao dawang’s representing the main bulk of the forces. On top of this were artillery, EW and AA battalions which were going to be used rather cautiously. Many drones were so especially frequent inside the ranks of the artillery unit. Alongside this was a company of Tezhentuan to conduct some rather ‘enjoyable’ operations and a squadron of Ha-101 helicopter gunships to provide support to the whole thing. Their planned place for arrival would be in Ravenna. They were being transported in huge ships, clearly modified for transport, however, Chichu knew they contained missile launching systems hidden inside of cargo containers just in case.

Essentially, my main goal is to ensure the safe passage of Akai forces which shall be essentially two tank regiments, artillery, EW and AA battalions essentially. Minimal numbers as I am trying to keep it below 5000 men essentially. It has an escort in the form of a relatively small carrier task force consisting of the Chen-Lin type “Battlecruiser” the Harbinger of despair, and Vacant Vanity as its core ships. It was guarded by two conventional Sunte type SSNs, two Baoyujijie type destroyers and 4 Redaifeng type Frigates. The escorts were there to ensure the safety of the two capital ships in the fleet, ensuring that they were in formation and to provide extra intelligence when possible. There also were two Junsens shadowing the transport flotilla at a distance of around roughly 150 kilometres away in order to provide an especially nasty surprise for those who did try to attack it. The consistent network of Yak-44s which provided the entire fleet with advanced warning, Chichu felt a strange confidence as they passed between the strait between Hostillia and Rome.. Now for the messages he hoped which shall resolve this whole affair.

帝土
ꡂꡎꡍꡆ ꡓꡀ ꡆꡀ ꡆꡇꡀꡍꡍꡄꡕ ꡀꡊꡀꡈ ꡆꡀ ꡃꡈꡔꡎꡒ ꡅꡔꡀꡍꡆꡎꡍꡆꡔꡇꡈ
FROM THE OFFICE OF HIS PERFECTION THE DITU OF AKAI

TO: Princess Jocasta of New Edom, Hosidius Geta, Governor of Peregrino
Topic:

To whom this may concern
His Perfection, the Ditu of the Akai has in all his enlightened majesty recently began to take an interest in the great plight of those in Latium as of late. A terrible tragedy has befallen the country, one of considerable sadness for the Ditu’s and his most loyal and most humble government. He himself wishes that the rightful Emperor Michael, whose disposition is one of significant potential for Latium is able to bring peace to the land.

It is also the case that many of our own peasantry, armed forces and most curiously His Perfection’s uncles His Heavenly Highnesses, Celestial Princes Yanfeng and Qiang have taken increasingly personal interests in Latium also. While Prince Qiang has donated his services to that of Emperor Michael and has remained a keen observer within his court, this section of society has found another way to assist. In particular, the personal host corporation of Waidiyi has decided to arrange a contract with Emperor Michael to help secure the country with the good wishes of His Perfection. While he is independent in his particular actions, we do regardless have a mutual interest in seeing the overall success of Emperor Michael. Therefore, it is prudent for the successful passage of such forces into Latium.

We wish to request of our ally that we in particular that such forces can be safely transported to the city of Ravenna in Latium with the help of whatever forces may be available to further this cause. They are currently being transported in ships which are currently heading through the strait in between the Late Roman Empire and The Most Divine Empire of Hostillia at the moment of writing. His perfection wishes for the continuation of the most productive working relationship in this most important of instances.
Yours truly

His perfection Hulang Huike Jieke Tingzi Jieke Lazin, first to rule, Ditu of Akai, God on Earth, Eternal Guardian of Mankind, Emperor of Emperors, Autocrat of all the Akai, Sovereign of Lazinato, Yaosai, Zhaoze, Keng and Xuan, Avatar and descendent of Kutu and Waishan, Most High Archon of Xungong and Kaizangong, Enlightened prince and protector of Yahashi, Master of the Riyeskonsu, Ta yuan shuai of the Orders of National Defence Master of the Secretariat of Internal Authority, Gothic Lord, Grand Master of the Blessed order, Celestial being, Dæmon-Sovereign, Architect of the future, World-ruler, He who brings order to reality, Son of heaven, Vanquisher of the unfilial, Great Overlord of the Clans, Kehan of Kehan, Lord of Ten Thousand Years, Inheritor of the Six Dituate Dynasties, Pure of blood, Master of the Colossi, Protector of the Thirteen monoliths, Father of the Akai, Regent of Heaven, heir to the Immortal Ditu Shiyaohaung, heir to Tiao-Li, brother of the sun and moon, the most enlightened guardian of all the Akai.
Hand delievered top secret
Last edited by The IASM on Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Lacus Magni
Diplomat

Postby Lacus Magni » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Ravenna, Latium
(Co-written with New Edom)

Strategos Marcus Iccius awaited his meeting with Admiral Amalek of the New Edomite Navy in his makeshift headquarters at a three story office building just outside of city center. The largest of the rooms in the building sat at the third floor, likely serving as a board room prior to Iccius taking control of the city, this would serve as the location for such a meeting.

The room contained some of its original decor, with a decently sized wooden table though not surrounded by chairs as it would have been in peacetime - now only two chairs were at the table, right across from one another. While certainly business would be discussed and was the chief priority, the table appeared to be set for a meal. Atop the table before Iccius was silverware, space for his plate, and a glass of wine that he drank from while he waited.

Until recently it wasn’t a habit of Iccius’ to drink on duty or for professional meetings, but the stress of his post and most of all the waiting to be attacked caused him to seek some sort of relief. Though it hadn’t yet become a problem for him. Iccius could smell the aroma of cooking, it was to be a good meal with food that had just arrived from Falerii Novi in county Aquileia. He was told there was to be some pork stew, salad and soup, a meal far and away better than what Iccius or his soldiers had dined on since their arrival in Ravenna.

As he sat waiting, sipping at his wine and gazing at the television rolled into the room to watch the news briefly, a handful of his legates entered the room. Each man saluted their general, Iccius offering an unenthusiastic salute in response. “Good news I hope?” the Stragetos turned his attention back to the television, with his glass sitting at his lower lip. The television screen featured a host discussing the most recent public appearances of each Emperor Michael and Emperor Constantine, though moreso towards the complete lack of public appearances by Michael since the attack on the Marble Palace in Castellum.

Then the camera panned over to a panel for discussion with the backdrop of the city of Utica behind them. Constantine hasn’t shied away from the cameras at all. He’s made a plethora of appearances in Adrianople, Haenna, Ostia Narbo, Ulcisia Castellum and many more. Michael we aren’t even sure as he’s made no appearance since the incident at the Ghantish Embassy… the voice began to trail off as the volume was turned down.

“Not good news then, I take it?” Iccius placed both his wine and the television remote on the table, standing before walking over towards one of the legates. He ripped a slip of paper from one of their hands. “Are you afraid to upset me? You’re not my mother or my wife, give me that.”

Iccius reached into his breast pocket for glasses, unfurling the paper. It was moist, almost covered in sweat from the legate’s hand. The words were written in Karchidonian, an unusual mix of Latin and Greek that confused a great many non-native speakers. “Who wrote this gibberish, was it Chilas? All I can make out of it is Augustonium,” Strategos Iccius crumpled the letter into a ball and threw it towards the legate he took it from.

“Sir...it’s the bastard prince,” the legate gulped nervously. “We’ve received reports that he’s passed just south of Augustonium. When we further inquired from the scouts, well we’ve yet to hear any response to those inquiries.”

“What of the Vannoisians?” Iccius asked, though he had many more questions. Last they had contact with the Vannosians they were near Espo, if God is good they battled out and the bastard is playing into our hands as he tries to scurry back into Hellas.

“We...we aren’t sure, sir. Maybe somewhere between counties Lancobriga or Mevania” Legatus Evocatus Aulus Maevius finally spoke up. “It’s possible but…”

“The boy is in the city himself or his advance forces are in the city?” Iccius’ face had the appearance that he would strike one of the legates if they gave the answer he didn’t want to hear.

“The boy, sir,” Legate Evocati Maevius offered up.

Iccius stood still and silent for a moment, before a rage took over. He quickly gripped his glass full of wine and threw it as hard as he could across the room. “How did this happen!” the general shouted in a straining screech. He looked around the room at his legates, scratching his eyebrows with a heavy sigh. “All of you out. And bring someone to clean that mess up before our guest arrives. I won’t have you mess that up either.”

The TH-300 helicopter, a large utility naval aircraft, landed fanning the air around it powerfully dispensing Admiral Amalek and a few other men and women. A perimeter composed of Edomite and Latin personnel were a safe distance away. Colonel Joseph Zelek saluted him as he moved away from the LZ. “This way, Excellency; we have an escort and your land rover here.”

“Colonel Zelek,” said Amalek with brisk politeness. They began their drive to Icius’ HQ. “What’s the situation here?”

“Tension all round, I get the impression they’re all on edge, but I’m not sure about what,” said Zelek as the land rover bustled towards their destination.

Amalek nodded. He had to keep himself busy--he knew that he would not be happy again until he was back on the ship. He felt naked and ignorant out here.

Legate Evocati Maevius, along with two other subordinate legates waited at the base of the three-story, brick office building serving as the military HQ in Ravenna. They stood still as they waited, though casually spoke among themselves during that time. “You ever seen him that upset?” one of the subordinate legates asked, speaking of Strategos Iccius.

“Never,” Maevius said in a hushed voice. “Now quiet, they’re nearly here.”

Admiral Amalek was a thin, hatchet faced cold eyed man wearing Navy Blues and a cap, accompanied by four others including a woman of rather Latin appearance, with raven hair, rather fair skin and light coloured eyes. They were all in naval uniform except for the Marine Infantry officer who wore battle dress with a kepi style cap. A small cluster of security and aides were to largely remain with the vehicles though one young naval ADC was to accompany the other four. Most of the Edomites were olive skinned men and women with dark eyes and dark hair.

Up till the middle of the 20th Century, the Edomites were still virtually barbarians in the eyes of the Cornellian civilization’s remnants; they were people who went ritually naked and painted themselves; they were turbulent and lacked a clear constitution and system of justice. Their rush to regional power had taken place only over twenty years. The current leadership had led the nation to victory after victory in foreign climes. Their appearance here, even in their small numbers, appeared absolutely confident.

The Latins had stopped speaking by the time the Edomites appeared in their vehicle, showing a stone cold demeanor. “Admiral Amalek,” Legate Evocati Maevius spoke to the leader of the Edomite force when they arrived. The other legates stood still and silent. “If you and yours would follow me, Strategos Iccius is just upstairs for you.”

“Thank you,” said Amalek. He and his followers in a neat and dignified manner followed the Latin officers inside.

A subordinate legate stepped aside to open to door, upon which Maevius led everyone through first floor to the stairs. It was a quick walk to third floor and the transformed boardroom where Strategos Iccius waited. When they arrived at the door a soldier, most likely a private by their appearance, had been cleaning one of the walls, though they were ushered away when Maevius opened the door. “General,” Maevius drew his attention. “I have Admiral Amalek of New Edom to see you.”

“Ah, yes of course. Thank you,” Strategos Iccius nodded and silenced the television before turning it off completely. “A pleasure, Admiral. Please have a seat, would you care for food or drink? We’ve had a meal prepared should you like.

“That’s very kind of you, Strategos,” said Amalek with a polite bow and a smile. “Allow me to present some of my staff and subordinates: Colonel Joseph Zelek of the 4th Marine infantry; Commander Joanna Heep, my Combat Air Commander, Commander Victoria Matthias--Intelligence Commander, Lieutenant-Commander Imre Dan-Eden, Operations Officer.” Each of these officers bowed in response to their name being presented.

“An honor. This man right here is Legate in Evocati Aulus Maevius,” Iccius said to the group before stepping back into his seat. The Strategos wore a plain face, though one that teetered on annoyance. He reached forward for a bottle of wine that sat on the table, pouring himself a glass. “Shall we get to it then? Surely you’re just as busy as I.”

“Certainly, said Amalek. “Why don’t you start with explaining the situation and sharing what intelligence you have on the rebels’ movements?” He sat down and his officers did as well.

“Yes, down right to it then are we,” Iccius licked his lips and readjusted himself in his seat. “As it stands we have four legions infantry, and one legion of armor for defense of the city. However, we’ve just dispatched a mixed legion to Sorrentia towards Heraclea. As for the rebels, I’ve only just heard word of the bastard Prince being as far south as Augustonium in county Stabiae. He’s moving much faster than anticipated, unfortunately.”

“With what?” asked Colonel Zelek keenly. “What is his strength? Are his forces along a broad front or are they attempting an encirclement, and what is his main force composition?”

“It appears to be a smaller force than what our scouts show he left Hellas with, though still larger than our defense force. Perhaps four legions infantry and a legion artillery and armor each,” Iccius stopped speaking to instead think.

“If he continues at his current route we expect him to come at us from the east along the coast,” Legate Evocati Maevius added cautiously. “We don’t envision him being able to even attempt an encirclement if the Vannoisians can keep pace. They should have cover from the west and north.”

“What about their air cover?” asked Commander Heep.

“We know forsure that he has the 4th and 6th Wings being used,” Iccius said, then allowed his legate to explain the details.

“The 4th consists of at least ten to twelve fighters, with added logistical and technical support. The 6th is of a similar number multi-role fighters, with an added four for electronic. This was pre-fighting at least,” Maevius stated. “That isn’t taking into account what other air forces are being utilized by the rebels, the neutrals or army attack helicopters in the bastard’s possession.”

“Very well,” said Admiral Amalek. “I am prepared to sent eight Terrier VTOL fighters and twenty-four helicopters including six attack helicopters to Castellum provided we can get a dedicated set of airfields, refueling and space for storage and ground support there. This will help provide air cover for Castellum and relieve you of the need to do so. We are also going to push our 4th Marine Infantry Regiment to Castellum to provide a larger zone of protection for it and also therefore free your army of the need to protect the capital. This will be roughly speaking 1200 troops including two mechanized battalions, one armoured company and an artillery battery and engineer company. Right now my government is trying to buy your government time through international diplomacy, but if that fails, we are prepared to bring in more forces if other nations continue to support the rebels. Is this acceptable to you, Strategos?”

“Why Castellum and not here?” Iccius began to ignore his wine now. “In the time it takes to reach Castellum and for added support to reach Ravenna, the bastard may be on us already. You are here already, they are not. Nor is time on our side. If you don’t mind my meaning, Admiral.”

“Either way, if it ensures we have more support here...in Ravenna, then I can hardly object, but you must see what I’m saying,” Iccius began to carry on once again. “Castellum is in little danger at the moment, here on the other hand…”

“And that is before even considering giving up defense of our own capital to foreigners,” Maevius chmied in. “I mean no disrespect of course, nor do I question your government’s trustworthiness, but we all know what people say of movements like this. I’m not convinced the Emperor will assent to providing us added support upon your arrival in Castellum.”

“Because we’ll be in a better position to strike them on a flanking position or from their rear from Castellum,’ Colonel Zelek pointed out. “Right now I doubt they even know we’re here. And what is preventing the enemy from attacking Castellum directly?”

“Kallipolis. The Vannoisians,” Maevius stated bluntly. “Each prevents these movements and safeguards the capital.”

“The Vannoisians are on your side?” said Amalek. “Since when?”

“Since the onset of the conflict,” Maevius replied. “The Emperor has spoken often with the Emperor Louis, and proved this when they eradicated the bastard emperor in Espo.”

“What forces have they deployed in your favour though?”’ asked Amalek. “Since they are on your northern border, and since we haven’t detected their navy in the straits…”

“Their forces from across the border have moved from Espo,” Iccius added. “Now between Lancobriga or Mevania counties at the last we heard from them. I can’t comment on their naval activities, though we all know how tense any activity at the strait currently is. ”

Amalek clicked his tongue. “Very well. What is your proposed plan then?”

“My proposal is those forces stay here, but according to my last discussion with the Master of Soldiers my proposal is inconsequential,” Iccius stated. “General Caelius’ had ordered me to allow you passage to Castellum, were you to ask. I just needed to make my objections known. Anything you can spare to leave for us, I’d greatly appreciate it.”

“Master of Soliders Caelius can provide dedicated airfields just outside of the city-region limits in the town of Sopianae. That is the nearest airbase available, hopefully it will suffice. However, certain areas of the city shall remain off-limits to ground and air forces, including the entirety of the inner boroughs until the Felixian Walls,” Maevius provided the details allowed by their Master of Soldiers.

“Excellent,” said Amalek. “The 4th is to depart for Castellum at once, Colonel. Now as to your needs, Strategos: our one regiment won’t necessarily help you achieve a decisive victory, but this we can provide for you. Our fleet’s direct support of Ravenna and the surrounding area. I would recommend--if you have not done so already--that you choose your ideal battlegrounds, ideally with reasonable support and room for you to maneuver. We will provide you two drone flights that will seek out the enemy and target them. We will provide two attack plans. One will be to strike at the rebels’ air bases that are providing their nearest air support, and hit them hard from our arsenal ship. This vessel contains hundreds of cruise missiles and can launch many simultaneously, overwhelming most bases or vessels’ defensive capabilities. This would reduce their ability to provide recon and air cover enormously, ideally also cut out some of their radar and coordination support. Any operational craft would be forced to find secondary or even tertiary zones to safely land at, refuel, rearm and get maintenance from.

“Then for the enemy army: any slow moving or stationary targets key to their support could be taken out by cruise missile attacks as well. We will provide you and your staff with appropriate encrypted signals and then your forward observers and air liaisons can call in strikes from us. We will dedicate those two drone flights--both will be CFHQN-1 “Kite” drones, a tilt-rotor craft, and we will operate them from our landing helicopter deck vessel. We will also leave a liaison officer and a small staff here with you. Commander Heep will be that officer.”

Admiral Amalek smiled. “Will that be satisfactory?”

“I imagine it should be,” Strategos Iccius stated. “You have our thanks, Admiral.”

“Excellent. Commander Heep’s dunnage and staff are waiting below. If I may…” he said, “Your glasses, gentlemen.” he raised his own. To loyalist victory!”

Both Iccius and Maevius raised their glasses for the toast. “To victory,” each man said in Latin, then once more in Greek.
Active Projects

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:45 pm

To: Gérôme LaFromboise
Subject: Fleet Movements

Dear Mr. Lafromboise,

Our naval intelligence has informed us one of your nation's carrier battle groups is heading south towards the Noviteran-Latin Strait. If it is the intention of your naval forces to enter the Strait then be advised, the United Federation at this time cannot allow it without proper discourse between our governments on the situation. Given the current conflict in the area and our interests in preventing escalation the United Federation must oppose such action with military force if need be. To make things clear, if your nation's naval assets attempt to enter the Noviteran-Latin Strait they will be fired upon and prosecuted in the most severe manner our military is capable of. That being said, our government is willing to discuss your intentions and work out an agreement.

Sincerely,
Eric Douglas
Last edited by Novitera on Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:46 pm

On to Castellum!

Soundtrack

The Air Liaison had three drones flying ahead of the 4th Marine Infanry Regiment. One was a larger CFHQN-1 "Kite" rotodyne drone that was faster and more powerful than the other two, which were small meter and a half long S-100 Schiebel Camcopter drones, basically miniature unmanned helicopters. These aerial robot vehicles were actually piloted from the NENS Nass the landing helicopter deck vessel out to sea beyond Ravenna. If need be these little UAVs would also receive information from the fleet or from the other recon mission that had been flown out ahead of Strategos Iccius' army to scout for the presence of their enemies. The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle Drones were used by the regiment for both intelligence purposes and to provide close air support for the troops on the ground. They were cheaper than manned aircraft and thus easily replaced and can be controlled from the headquarters eliminating the need to train or hire a pilot avoiding the risk of that pilot being shot down by the enemy. If need be command and control of them could be passed on to crews with the regiment who were driving along in a signals vehicle.

27 LT-10 Phorusrhacos light tanks, 22 M28 Vigilo armoured recon vehicles, 36 M20 "Hamsher" APCs, 8 Pseudonja utility vehicles armed with 50 caliber machine gun and 40 mm automatic grenade launcher, and 4 M20s carrying 80 mm mortars roamed the land spearheading the forward thrust towards Castellum, the other two battalions flanking towards the rear.

Captain Lucas of "F" Company sat in his commander's chair in his APC as it rumbled over the well made Latin roads. This was all a rather novel experience--other than a couple of CPO missions, mostly the New Edomite Army deployed to similar nations to itself--nations with generations of inherent troubles and conflict, ongoing civil wars, invasions and so on. The roads were often poor, as in Ashab, the people they saw wer often poor as well. yet these folk of Latium appeared to live in nicer country houses, and the land seemed rich and fat. It seemed odd to him that such people would need to go to war for anything. Apparently it was all over two young men who couldn't agree over a will. Even these rich fat stable nations had people who were ready to shed blood over what they could get. A shame, but that was life apparently.

Privately, he was not displeased with his Damocleans so far. When he had taken over the company the first thing they'd done was gobble up all their rations and then have groaning stomach aches on the march he set them on, puking all over the road and collapsing like greenies. He had been utterly disgusted and had fired his sergeant-major on the spot, promoting the one NCO he noticed the Dam-Dammies wer all scared of: Staff Sergeant Brachet. Brachet was a tireless man, with the instincts of a spymaster and the swift responses of a boxer, he had been an NCO in the 8th Fusiliers before being offered a swift promotion to sergeant if he joined another regiment. The 8th was a solid enough regiment but had seen so little action over the last ten yearss that you could still get a brawl in their mess going by announcing that their regimental motto ought to be "Thou shalt not kill". Brachet had forced entire platoons to eat every one of their MREs in a single meal before marching until they understood: there would always be more rations or something to scavenge. The Damocleans were so stupid they didn't understand that entirely either and had raided a nearby village for food and ended up also looting it and raping some of the people there. Lucas had appealed to his regimental commander, Zelek. How was he to keep these brutes in line? Was he allowed to decimate them or something?

Zelek preferred the gauntlet and shaming duties. No company would be permitted to have leave unless all companies completed their duties to moderate satisfaction. Any soldier who was derelict of duty would be submitted to the gauntlet. Any soldier who failed to participate willingly in the gauntlet in any way faced being tied to a tree. It was an exhausting six months of trials and training. When they had finally marched in parade before the divisional commander, Lucas had been cynical about it. They had fared well enough on training exercises, but how would they do in action? Oh he wasn't afraid for their personal courage. Every one of these soldiers had been a killer in the old Damoclean army. It was as a unit that mattered.

Yet so far they had performed well. They were talking quietly in their vehicles, he knew, and the ones in his command vehicle were very aware that there were two Edomite commissioned officers and an NCO with them, so they drove, watched their monitors and listened to headphones and maintained dutiful position on the main machinegun providing along with grenade launchers its main defense.

The 4th was moving in small convoys of no more than 8 vehicles at a time, spaced apart so that they could turn 180 degrees each, with a medium rifle shot's range between each convoy, and moving ideally along separate roads with the supporting units following one battalion each. Zelek, an old hand at this, had arranged them so that no ambush to take a company or battalion out, so that they could swiftly maneuver to counter attack or retreat from an ambush, since the drones would not find anything. Advance and flanking units had orders to report anything suspicious--tell tale signs of possible ambushes (blockages on roads or bridges, any farmhouses or villages which seemed placed perfectly to provide covering fire against the advancing unit) or actual movements of the enemy. While they had intelligence of where the enemy might be and what the Legion's patches looked like a huge danger existed in that the Latins basically were all roughly the same culture and army. So the rules of engagement were strict: no one below the rank of company commander could order them to fire; they could immediately act defensively but not agressively, and they had to make absolutely sure that the enemy were really the enemy. This was also part of the reason it seemed wiser to just head on to Castellum for the ground operations and to provide fire support for the Strategos Iccius.

Ghish, Ghant

Soundtrack

Princess Jocasta was feeling a bit moody, and she expressed thisto Prince Amenmar during the recess.

"I don't trust that Nathan or any of those people he's going to deal with will actually do anything yuseful," she murmured to the Ambassador as they walked outside shadowed by Michael and their attendants. "I really have been hit by the realization that they do not grasp our interests or the importance of them."

"How could they?" said Prince Amenmar, smiling as Barsina scampered ahead exploring the shrubs. "The Ghantish aristocracy live in a bubble. They essentially farm out management of their goos they produce and the land that holds great resources for a percentage for commoners to take for managing it. They don't really have to do any work, and so all they do is play and intrigue. They missed the worst of the Great Cornellian War. It's all just a game to most of them, except perhaps the Northerners who need to work to survive. But they also live in the past, isolated from the rest of the Region. it's all really about personal responsibility with them. That's how I normally handle the Emperor. And yets, he does tend to get emotional about it. It's a pity he is estranged from Sophia, but these things will happen."

"They must not be allowed to interfere and put us in a bad position though," said Jocasta firmly. "I will not allow this. You know I threatened Nathan with pulling everyting out. everything!"

"Did you now? Without consulting the Council or the Chamber or me?" aid Amenmar drily.

"I'm virtually the Regent again with my sister only caring about holy Edenism and gardening" said Jocasta irritably.

"With all due respect, Your Royal Highness is still very young and is not in an official position save as a diplomatic liaison. I must respectfully ask that the Princess does not interfere in myw ork here without consulting with me. Otherwise I must advise the Council of her activities which I would prefer not to do," said Prince Amenmar so blandly that for a moment Jocasta simply blinked.

"You're ordering me?" said Jocasta, staring at him.

"No, I would never dream of doing so," said Amenmar gently. "You will be one of the greatest leaders our nation has ever seen if you do your learning and work well, Princess. But I have been placed here because I have a great understanding of how to work with this country and its leaders for our country's benefit, and I must ask you not to interefere with that. Otherwise I recommend you have me replaced by speaking to the Council about it."

"I see..." Jocasta was insulted, but realized gradually that he was trying to teach her something and put a hand on his arm. "Thank you." she said, taking a deep breath.

"Yes..." he studied her. "I was right about you, i see. What do you think about this matter of Akai's PMC intending to arrive in Latium?"

"They should go on...but I should forward the message to the Council since my psotion is a bit uncertain?" Jocasta guessed.

"Well done, Highness," said Prince Amenmar. When they spoke briefly with Count Beroth, Count Lalery, Geta and Nicanor in a conference call, it was agreed that Jocasta should answer the ltter and that Queen Mara had largely waived such military matters to them. "But do so in my name," reminded Queen Mara.

Jocasta was thrilled to do so. And it was from Hulang personally. How thrilling! Of course she truly cared deeply for her loving husband, but Hulang had such ambition and style!

To: His perfection Hulang Huike Jieke Tingzi Jieke Lazin, first to rule, Ditu of Akai, God on Earth, Eternal Guardian of Mankind, Emperor of Emperors, Autocrat of all the Akai, etc.
Encryption:Most Secret, Eyes Only
SubjectPassage

My dear friend,

Naturally I am glad to consider helping you at every turn. However I am a trifle puzzled by the lack of information in your letter. What forces are you referring to? have they received as my soldier friends call it the 'green light' from Emperor Michael? What is their intention? I will be able to respond more positively if you make all this clear.

Your most devoted friend,

Princess Jocasta
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Leasath
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 06, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Leasath » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:36 pm

Novitera wrote:

To: Gérôme LaFromboise

Dear Mr. Lafromboise,

Our naval intelligence has informed us one of your nation's carrier battle groups is heading south towards the Noviteran-Latin Strait. If it is the intention of your naval forces to enter the Strait then be advised, the United Federation at this time cannot allow it without proper discourse between our governments on the situation. Given the current conflict in the area and our interests in preventing escalation the United Federation must oppose such action with military force if need be. To make things clear, if your nation's naval assets attempt to enter the Noviteran-Latin Strait they will be fired upon and prosecuted in the most severe manner our military is capable of. That being said, our government is willing to discuss your intentions and work out an agreement.

Sincerely,
Eric Douglas

Au nom de Sa Majesté Impériale, l'Empereur Louis XIX
Du Bureau du Ministre des Affaires Etrangères

On Behalf of His Imperial Majesty, the Emperor Louis XIX
From the Office of the Foreign Minister

Addressing M. Eric Douglas of Novitera
Encryption High
Re: Fleet Movements

To the honourable M. Douglas,

The Second Carrier Strike Force, under command of Rear Adm. Georges Fleury, has departed port in Saint-Nazaire and is currently on course to Hierapolis at this time at the orders of His Imperial Majesty the Emperor Louis XIX. It is not our aim to stir conflict between our two nations, and negotiation as to the entrance of our forces into the Latin-Noviteran strait are obviously preferable to any violent engagement between Vannoisian and Noviteran assets. Our forces will refrain from entering unless and until we can come to some agreement over the terms of entrance.

Our reasons for entering involve the avoidance of further bloodshed on all sides of this conflict; our forces are aiming to assist evacuations or provide preventative aid in the event of major dangers to the Latin ports and the capital itself. We act in hopes of saving Castellum and other major port cities from the fate of a scorched earth policy that could be enacted should one of the claimants begin to look further and further towards taking drastic measures. In relation to this, Latium is one of the Empire's largest trade partners and allies, and while we do not begrudge refugees of assistance in these dark times our open border policy has caused issues with a continuing influx of individuals seeking help from our government. As such, in order to prevent greater influx to a degree we may not be able to currently handle, we are hoping to avert further conflict in this preservation. We have already begun this policy in the north of Latium near the Vannoisian border, and hope to continue the protection of refugees moving forward until they can return home.

Additionally, it is the policy of His Imperial Majesty that the Empire does support the legal and rightful succession laws of Latium in accordance with law in Vannois; as such, the Vannoisian state does officially support the claim of Constantine of Latium as the actual Emperor of the Latin State. If you wish to contact Emperor Constantine or his government to check these facts as they are, you certainly may at any time; we are for a stronger Latium and by that logic a level-headed and honest monarch is needed to steady the ship that has been rocked so violently by the false Emperor Michael.

We would be willing to allow observers aboard our vessels, or the addition of a Noviteran vessel to our strike group to observe operations should that be an interest for your government. In the interest of avoiding any issue with this movement, we would like to offer as many opportunities as possible to grant your government's possible requests as to observation and other manners of keeping track of the Vannoisian fleet. However, I cannot and will not promise anything on behalf of His Imperial Majesty, and can only assure that all requests will be passed on to himself and the Prime Minister.

Signed,
Jean-Yves Nicollier, Secretary of State for Foreign and Cornellian Affairs
Known as Malay

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:00 pm

To: Jean-Yves Nicollier
Encryption: High

Dear Mr. Nicollier,

My government understands your position but even on those terms we cannot grant you access at this time. Given the size and nature of the force being sent our naval intelligence reports find this stated purpose suspect. I do not accuse you of making fabrications but we must head the advice of our senior military staff. What our government also finds suspect is that his majesty Emperor Louis has yet to publicly declare support for Constantine. A public declaration from your government while not sufficient, will be necessary for ours to allow access to the Strait. I believe further talks between our governments is required to work this out. A meeting can be arranged for your ambassador to the United Federation immediately.

Sincerely,
Eric Douglas
Executor of State, United Federation of Novitera

Tericio
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Notare Tabellam Sanguine: Dejected Dealings

Postby Tericio » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:56 pm

ignore
Last edited by Tericio on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Novitera
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Novitera » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:42 am

Avantine, Novitera
Executive Center

Triumph! One item down, only one more to go. Gladwin wanted to race for the washroom as they spoke to have a go at himself. But he remember he had to stay focused. The meeting was not completely over. He pointed at both of them looking them each in the eye in turn. "This matter is settled then. We'll remember what you said you'll do. It is important our three governments are together in this." Gladwin, a blank expression on his face.

"As for Jedoria, it may not be necessary for us to get them to leave. We will pursue an alternative course of action should placate the Edomites. Our government will revisit the matter if it is necessary but I do not think it will be." He said.

Gladwin looked to Douglas who was staring out the window. He cleared his throat which got the older man's attention. Douglas immediately snapped to. "Now gentlemen, I believe this meeting is concluded. We thank you both for your time." He said while rising from the sofa to give Trauco and Fallone handshakes.

Later...

TELEPHONE CALL
To: Michael
Line: Office of the Executor of State, United Federation of Novitera
Encryption: High

At this time, Gladwin and Douglas were at his office at the State Department building not far from the Executive Center. Gladwin sat on a chair straightening his tie, wondering if he could ever pull off a triumph in Douglas's own office. Douglas had the telephone to his ear listening to the rings with a scowl on his face. The same scowl he always seemed to have.

"Remember, he's an impotent oaf. There's no need for niceties. Just get what we discussed across." Gladwin reiterated for him.

"I know how to do my job you beady eyed fuck." Douglas replied harshly.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents