NATION

PASSWORD

The Day the Sky Broke [M:Closed:Attn Xiscapia]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 13, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:06 pm

Korfel, Luza District...

Hibiki stared out at the city as it went by through the passenger window, often slowing in traffic snarls around rubble or cratered streets as work crews directed detours around the construction sites. Each was attended to by a crowd of penal laborers, distinguishable by their shock collars, their nudity, and the fact that almost every one was not a Necrian. That role was reserved for the Night Guard soldiers and the police who watched with carbines cradled in their arms, cordoning off each zone while officers barked orders at the workers. The heat simmered over the pavement despite the twilight, distorting her image of straining bodies hauling debris into bins, heads down to the passing traffic. She watched the last group they saw until they were out of sight, turning away and staring into space, looking without seeing.

She came out of her revere as they approached what had once been Korfel's spaceport. The defenders had completely destroyed the port and everything within a half-kilometer radius around it, leaving nothing more than a dark, yawning crater in the middle of the city. No one knew how many had died. She had heard that it "only" went 500 meters down, but she had seen it from the air and it still looked eerie, unnaturally circular, and utterly black. They passed by an automated garbage truck that had backed up to the rim of the pit with its rear hatch open, having just deposited a load of trash deep into the earth.

Once they got a few blocks away Korfel seemed to liven up again. Daliha had to stop behind a lumbering long-haul bus as it halted next to a hotel tower, and waiting there under the awning was a crowd of robed Necrians. Priests and priestesses, Hibiki supposed, though she didn't know enough to tell of what sort. Two streams of people began to disembark, some heavily bundled or hauling luggage and others with barely any clothes on their backs, but all gaunt and trudging from mothers cradling infants to wizened elders. She realized as they were embraced that these must be refugees from Tamarow -luckier ones than those who ran into the trigger-happy NFP members Elad had mentioned.

As they reached Base Six and the convoy rumbled past them Hibiki watched it go, wondering if the massive trucks were full of prisoners now or if they were leaving to pick up a group. Daliha parked in the long shadow of the commandeered stadium building, and as she let herself out of the car Hibiki reflected that while this moon might be important to the SIN for now, it was still a grim place. Passing by the clinic for wounded prisoners without looking, the scent of blood in her nose, Hibiki followed Daliha to the prefabricated building serving as a temple, slipping inside to stand silently near the back of the building. While she was no worshipper of Necrisis, the vixen nevertheless bowed her head in respect. She knew a sermon dedicated to the dead when she heard one.

Try as she might not to eavesdrop on the exchange between the conscript and the priestess, Hibiki couldn't help it. A sharp sense of hearing was not always a blessing. The young man didn't look up as he hurried away, probably not realizing who Hibiki or Daliha were, but the vixen watched him intently until she could only see his back, committing his face and his scent to memory. Turning back, she bowed to Mother Aesalmba, forced to shake her head when the priestess mentioned her lack of memory. She hadn't remembered the nightmares, either. It was as if she had been dead for two days and hadn't realized.

“How can I be of service to you two?”

"My wounds are healing well, thank you, Mother. And thank you for tending to me. I could have died without your care," Hibiki gave her another, deeper bow. "Daliha and I are here to render service to you, in fact. It seems like you have plenty of help here, but we've seen the Temple helping people all around the city, and we'd like to volunteer for that. We were also hoping to check on a few of the prisoners here for a worried friend. Do you know if they're holding a kitsune male named Kazuki, a Necrian female named Sanjia, or a halfbreed kit called Aroji here?"

Downtown Korfel, Luza District, The Revelry...

Standing in the corridor outside of the bedroom they were using to detain Kelaetra, Kurshina listened through the door as she watched Fusae tend to the elder Tyrass down the hall. The Imperial medic was doing hir best, but exactly whatever was afflicting the Thane was beyond hir powers to cure. Looking away from the woman slowly wasting away, she focused on Sork instead. He was getting desperate, she felt, but they were in a desperate situation, and they couldn't hide in this penthouse forever. Something had to give.

Hearing the crash from inside the bedroom, she knew it was time. Kurshina threw open the door, eyes quickly adjusting to the dim conditions, stepping inside as Sork dropped Kelaetra's chair against the floor again. "Sir. Sir!" She grabbed his arms, bodily hauling him back with a growl as she pulled him away from their captive. "That's enough, sir. It's time for you to go." Keeping his arms pinned for a moment, she waited until the Necrian sagged before releasing him, watching him whip around and stalk away to slam the door behind him. Letting out a long breath, the vixen turned about and stepped over to where Kelaetra lay, still strapped to the chair.

Reaching down, Kurshina slowly tilted the chair back upright again before sliding a wheeled stool over for her to sit on. Pulling her canteen off her belt, she unscrewed the top and pressed the tip to Kelaetra's dry lips, letting her drink as much as she wanted. When she finished, Kurshina pushed against the floor with her feet and rolled around behind Kelaetra, one hand on her bare shoulder as the other went into the officer's pocket. Running one hand through the woman's dark hair, she put her comb to it and started to undo the knots and snarls in it, brushing it into smoothness with methodical care. Her touch was gentle, teasing the tangles of hair apart without pulling and brushing softly over Kelaetra's scalp and down to her bangs.

After she had sat there in darkness and silence for several minutes, doing nothing but brushing the Thane's hair, Kurshina spoke. "My family thought I was crazy to come here. I could have gotten a job in Tenfour, or Kel, or the capital, or pretty much anywhere. But I came to this tiny colony that most people haven't even heard of. It was because of my brother. He fell in love with this Necrian girl, an artist who ran a tattoo parlor here in Korfel. He was completely hopeless, learning all of the traditional ways of courting, buying her all these expensive inks, he even tried to join the Temple, though he didn't actually follow through," she shook her head, chuckling.

"I came here to look out for him. In your traditional Xiscapian family structure, a lot of the time the older siblings stick around once they become adults to help take care of the younger kits. I was the older sibling for his litter, and when he was little he was always running up to me to show me this thing he found or some fact he learned. I made his lunch and took him to practice and helped him with his homework for years, so when he came of age and ran off like that, and my parents cut him off...well, who else was going to pull his tail out of trouble? So, I followed him, and when it seemed like things were getting serious, I decided to stay."

She worked at the front of Kelaetra's head now, brushing down her bangs. "They were to be married next season. I didn't think it would last a month, but that shows what I know. But the thing that really surprised me was how readily her family accepted him. There was no shunning or screaming or anything like that. The worst things they did were ask him some awkward questions and fool him into thinking the vesherno 'fruit' was an expensive delicacy. The last time I saw him, two days before the invasion, he was in a temple, singing hymns."

Kurshina smiled. "Despite everything, I know there is goodness in Necrians. Even you. And I don't believe that you're a bad person, Kelaetra. Your husband still seems to care about you, and your mother is still alive. You still have hope."
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
The Kitsune Empire of Xiscapia's FT Factbook (V2.5)
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Necrisis
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Necrisis » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:19 pm

Base Six
Temple of Night, Prefab

"Daliha and I are here to render service to you, in fact. It seems like you have plenty of help here, but we've seen the Temple helping people all around the city, and we'd like to volunteer for that. We were also hoping to check on a few of the prisoners here for a worried friend. Do you know if they're holding a kitsune male named Kazuki, a Necrian female named Sanjia, or a halfbreed kit called Aroji here?"

Aesalmba merely smiled and pushed her hood back. "My, they weren't wrong about you, Mistress Hibiki. A saying - no rest for the wicked - holds little meaning among The People. Instead: 'Dym gweddyll y'r' cyfyawn.' No rest for the just. And these old bones can tell. You are a just one."
There was a soft clicking and wurring, and Aesalmba rose a few inches, a series of segmented legs, like a spider, unfolded from her robes, and she waved for them to follow.
"It is true, we are well staffed here. But many of my sisters and Vestals have taken the greatest responsibilities among the more distant posts. This leaves me short of able, willing and kind hands closer to home.
"The ruins of City Center are being cleared now. A new truckload of workers has just been dispatched. I have some neonates and passionate but young acolytes helping there. They would do well for your leadership, Mistress Hibiki. Mistress Daliha."

Aesalmba stopped to bow to two other sisters, clad in black robes and silver masks, the mouths carved to seem sewn shut. "Sisters Ysima, Raelyn. Could you retrieve some robes for these soldiers. They will be coming with us today."
The two sisters nodded in unison and vanished into the prefabs. Aesalmba turned back to Daliha and Hibiki. "They have taken vows of silence. Mistress Daliha? You are a Mistress of Arms, yes? You know Sign?" She gestured quickly with her hands, clearly a dialectal sign language.
Daliha nodded. "Yes. At least, enough to get us by."
Aesalmba smiled. "Yes. Good. As for the prisoners," she said, scuttling away at a measured pace. "There are many orphans. Necrian and Xiscapian. But a half-blood would stand out. Indeed, he did. But he vanished several days ago. The sister attending to the orphanage claims to have seen a Necrian child, of the same age, but distinctly non-corporeal, appear over Aroji's bed, kiss his head and then both vanished in a bubble of 'non-light.' She has not laid to rest since his disappearance, though I fear the boy has been claimed by some mysterious entity from the Cascade. What she describes is in line with 'Dreamwalking.' A very difficult technique..."

She turned, stopping amid a make-shift courtyard, where several soldiers were being tended to by black-robed sisters. Some of the sisters couldn't have been more than eight or nine.
Aesalmba clasped her hands and bowed to Hibiki. "Apologies. Setting superstition and postulation aside, the child is gone. If his mother was Necrian, then she has been processed and either detained as a risk, imprisoned - as a risk - or discharged. I would have little information on her. Kazuki, however... the name rings a memory. We tended to the group going to City Center, made sure they were fit for labor. While I did not tend to him, his name has crossed my eyes."

Downtown Korfel
Luza District
The Revelry

Kelaetra eyed Kurshina over the canteen, golden eyes never breaking contact.
There was a defiance there, something bred and trained into Necrians in the face of alien captors.

But when Kurshina started to brush her hair, the Necrian woman tensed. Several minutes went by before her muscles relaxed, tensing again when the kitsune spoke.

"Despite everything, I know there is goodness in Necrians. Even you. And I don't believe that you're a bad person, Kelaetra. Your husband still seems to care about you, and your mother is still alive. You still have hope."

Silence reigned for a while, but finally, Kurshina felt Kelaetra's shoulders shake and sag.
"Hope." Her voice was thick, clearly strangling back tears. "I have no hope. My mother always was loyal, respected. But she threw that away. For me. For him. And I thought her the fool. I tried to get our family name back into standing. When I was approached, I knew my duty, my loyalty, was to our House. Our name. The name Shuji took. I knew that I could give him a life beyond a petty colony."
She faded away, twisting hard out of Kurshina's hands. "Mother would have understood. A small betrayal for greater standing in the new Empire. I was raised in the old ways. Trained.
"But then... then she was injured. The others killed or maimed. At least, Faedan tried to. He didn't care. I... I almost lost her over something as stupid as duty... loyalty to a Throne I have never seen.
"I dreamed of bringing Shuji to meet the Empress. To kiss the Throne's steps. To show him my world, yet... a world I had only heard of."

Kelaetra glanced over her shoulder, golden eyes stabbing into Kurshina through the long, black-red hair. "I know... what you are doing. I know... and I do not care. It does not matter. There is nothing you can do to stop the Empress. Not even stymie her soldiers. What would you hope to get from me? Bring the dragon back, fox. At least when he strikes me, I deserve it."

I do not deserve your kindness, was clear, if left unsaid.
Sol Imperi Necrosa Factbook

"You know you're in a shitty situation when your better option is 'go to war with the KEX.'" ~ Xiscapia

"Necrian diplomatic missives are often delivered by sniper rifle."~ NS

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:24 pm

Base Six, Temple of Night, Prefab...

When Aesalmba made her observation about Hibiki's nature, the vixen didn't say anything. While some might have interpreted her silence as humility, or possibly rudeness, she was stunned for a moment despite her impassive expression. She had never met this woman before, yet her confident assessment of Hibiki made her wonder. Was she really a just person, fighting on the side that betrayed her homeland? Could anything she did make up for that?

Following the spider-legged Necrian deeper into the temple, she studied the mechanical limbs as they walked. It was possible she had lost her natural legs during the civil war, or perhaps a more pedestrian accident, but she wasn't going to ask. There was no point in dredging up potentially painful memories. Inclining her head when they met the Sisters, she glanced between Aesalmba and Daliha when her lover was asked about sign language, appreciating that Daliha could communicate with the temple's silent sisters. "Remind me to ask you to teach me the basics," she told Daliha.

When Aesalmba mentioned the orphans Hibiki just nodded sadly. The lost children of Korfel were something no one spoke of but everyone knew about, little faces staring blankly from dark alleyways or the temple buses. When she got to Aroji's disappearance Hibiki cocked an ear, glancing at Daliha before shaking her head. If she had been anywhere else she would have dismissed the tale as nothing more than fantasy, but she had been among the Necrians long enough to know that the supernatural was woven into the fabric of their society. It was nothing she wanted to mess with, given she was no psychic herself.

Eyeing the young girls wearing the robes of temple Sisters, Hibiki looked back to Aesalmba when she was addressed. "If Sanjia has been detained then there should be records of it somewhere. For right now, though, Kazuki seems like our best bet," she nodded to Daliha before turning back to Aesalmba, giving her a small bow. "Thank you for your assistance, Mother. I hope we can be just as useful to your Sisters in City Center."

"I know... what you are doing. I know... and I do not care. It does not matter. There is nothing you can do to stop the Empress. Not even stymie her soldiers. What would you hope to get from me? Bring the dragon back, fox. At least when he strikes me, I deserve it."

Kurshina shook her head. "I'm not trying to do anything like that, Kelaetra. I'm trying to figure out a way off Fel'tethra. I know Sork won't go, and I can't leave without my brother, but the others don't deserve to be stuck here," she waved a hand in the direction of the rest of the penthouse. "Even if you don't care about your own life anymore, think about your mother, your husband. If we stay here, we will be captured, or worse. Your mother will die and your husband will end up in a prison camp. I know you don't want that," she leaned in a little closer, comb in her lap, staring into the woman's eyes. "Please. You must know some secret way to leave this world. Help me help them."
Xis quote of the week: Altaria Almighty: how are you not just a race of sexual predators? Like who needs power armour and gauss rifles when you have leather and whips. –Karaig
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Necrisis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Necrisis » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:45 pm

Base 6
Temple of Night, Prefab

"If Sanjia has been detained then there should be records of it somewhere. For right now, though, Kazuki seems like our best bet. Thank you for your assistance, Mother. I hope we can be just as useful to your Sisters in City Center."

Aesalmba smiled and nodded knowingly. "You are Phalanx Mistress of the Imperium. You have already been of help. What you do now, when you should be resting those ribs, is a sign that your duty runs deeper than some title and symbols on your chest."
She lowered on a hiss of her mechanical legs, her long fingers lightly touching Hibiki's face.
"Be... careful, Hibiki." Aesalmba's voice lowered to barely a whisper, taking advantage of her kitsune sense of hearing. "There are those who do no care for our duties. Though my augmentations make it hard for me to hear Her music from the Cascade, it is not hard to see the conflict in you. Nor from where it flows."

She withdrew and bowed, before pulling her hood back up. "Sisters Raelyn and Ysima will be with you shortly. They will take you to City Center. I will meet you there. Elad would have your head, Phalanx Mistress, if he saw you 'not resting.' I will look for records of this 'Sanjia.'"

Daliha bowed low as Mother Aesalmba scuttled away. "Well, more leads than I was honestly hoping for. Come on, Hibiki. We should meet up with the Silent Sisters, and I'll show you some basics of Sign. It's used a lot in the Temples - basically every Sister is fluent by age ten."

It didn't take long for the two silver-masked Sisters to find them and lead Daliha and Hibiki to the transport truck.
Dozens of Sisters, a crowd of billowing black robes and cloaks, hummed away as they quickly loaded supplies and crates onto the truck. A small flock of younger Sisters stood in a circle, passing a small ball between them.
It was only on a second glance that it clicked that none of them were actually touching the ball, and it was floating in a complex pattern from one girl to another.

Daliha helped Hibiki pull the robes on. They were thin, loose fitting and simple garments, but the sash was done in a complex knot that Daliha wove quickly about Hibiki's waist.
"Sister's Secret," she said with a wink. "It's a sacred knot. If it's not undone properly, it merely get's tighter. But pull it the right way and it actually will pull the robe with it. There is also a way it can wrap around your hand. The density increases more than a dozen fold like that; makes for a pretty good bludgeon. And another way can be used to trick an attacker into binding their own hands."
She glanced over Hibiki then over the circle of girls. "Goddess... I haven't done that knot in years. Decades now."

Downtown Korfel
Luza District
The Revelry

"Please. You must know some secret way to leave this world. Help me help them."

Kelaetra hung her head. "There... Mother had a friend here. A... lover. I never knew his name. She had state apartments here. Some building on the other side of the city I think. They would meet there when she visited. She caught me snooping once. Told me it wasn't any of my business." A shadow of a smile flickered over her face. "You might be able to find something out there. He... he would do anything for her."

She let her head sag lower, straining the ropes into her arms and wrists. Shoulders shook and her words caught in her throat. "I... What have I done? Goddess, hurl me into a dread pit, for I deserve no Embrace. Let my body wither and decay, left to serve and protect, for my Shadow has betrayed my Flesh..." her prayers became mumbled and indistinct as tears dripped from her nose and chin.

Outside, Sork leaned against the door, listening as best he could, a slight frown on his face.
She was truly remorseful. He'd done some poking around, and given how Shuji recited Temple hymns and verse now and then, along with the moon stone amulets each wore, it was safe to assume they were a devout family.
To curse herself like that...

He shook his head and started to pace.
He needed the anger, the fire, to keep going. It was all that was moving him right now.

"You know you're in a shitty situation when your better option is 'go to war with the KEX.'" ~ Xiscapia

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Mon Apr 11, 2022 2:34 pm

Base 6, Temple of Night, Prefab...

"Be... careful, Hibiki. There are those who do not care for our duties. Though my augmentations make it hard for me to hear Her music from the Cascade, it is not hard to see the conflict in you. Nor from where it flows."

Tensing as Aesalmba touched her muzzle, Hibiki stared back into the woman's eyes. She had never met Aesalmba before today -Hibiki's hospitalization didn't count- and she prided herself on being inscrutable when she wanted to be. Was her inner turmoil that obvious? Yet some glimmer in the old priestess's eyes made her think that it wasn't her heart on her sleeve, but the intuition of someone who had seen far more than even Hibiki. "Thank you, Mother," she said softly, inclining her head as Aesalmba pulled up her hood. "I will be."

"Well, more leads than I was honestly hoping for. Come on, Hibiki. We should meet up with the Silent Sisters, and I'll show you some basics of Sign. It's used a lot in the Temples - basically every Sister is fluent by age ten."

"We got lucky," the vixen nodded as she began to walk with Daliha, her tail brushing against the Necrian's leg in appreciation for the instruction. Hibiki hadn't even needed to say what was on her mind -Daliha just knew. It wasn't as if the woman was psychic, or like she would be able to read Hibiki's thoughts even if she was. She simply knew her that well. On impulse, she reached over and took Daliha's hand in her own, squeezing it as they rounded the corner to the loading area.

Watching the Sisters at work was oddly familiar to Hibiki, and sent a pang of longing through her. It reminded her of her time among the Imperial Marines, working with her platoon in what seemed to be total silence from the outside, even though they could still communicate via machine telepathy. The Sisters didn't even have that as far as she knew, though considering they were all Necrians she supposed they might have real telepathy for when their hands were full. Her suspicions that they were surrounded by psychics was confirmed when she realized that the circle of preteen girls playing with the ball weren't touching it. The kitsune watched for a minute before Daliha tapped her, robe at the ready.

The new clothing was comfortable enough, too light to risk overheating in the moon's humidity and too loose to make her want to take her fatigues off. Hands at her sides, Hibiki looked down as Daliha tied the intricate knot, trying to memorize the loops.

"Sister's Secret. It's a sacred knot. If it's not undone properly, it merely gets tighter. But pull it the right way and it actually will pull the robe with it."

"Don't tempt me," Hibiki gave a ghost of a smile to her lover.

"There is also a way it can wrap around your hand. The density increases more than a dozen fold like that; makes for a pretty good bludgeon. And another way can be used to trick an attacker into binding their own hands. Goddess... I haven't done that knot in years. Decades now."

"Useful," Hibiki looked back up as Daliha finished, her own robe already finished. "I didn't know that you belonged to the Sisterhood of Nichata."

Standing, Kurshina looked down at Kelaetra as the woman sobbed, tears dripping onto her bare legs. She knew that she should feel revulsion and hatred for this woman who had betrayed them all and ushered in so much death and destruction, who was the reason she had to constantly watch her back ever since the invasion. Yet in that moment all she could feel for the Thane was pity. There was a strange urge to try to comfort her, to carry on with being the good cop, but Kurshina didn't act on it. There was nothing she could do. Kelaetra was deep in a hell of her own making.

"Thank you, Kelaetra," she uttered, and turned away. Sork was waiting for her outside, as expected, though she shut the door firmly before walking down the hallway. She didn't need to explain the interrogation. Sork had heard everything. "I don't know who she's referencing, sir, but you're higher up in the force so I assume you have an idea," the vixen exhaled. "Sir, I think the best thing we can do right now is get Thane Tyrass, and as many other people here who want to go, off this world and into KEX territory. If we keep her alive and free, it undermines the SIN's legitimacy here."

Watching for his reaction, she continued. "I'm sure you've also viewed the contents of the data drive that Specialist Fusae was given," she said. Kurshina had looked herself and almost regretted it, the scenes of carnage and senseless brutality at the hospital were nearly more than she could bear. "Getting out data that proves atrocities will hurt the SIN's war effort more than anything we can do. If we can get Tyrass out, the drive should go with her."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Necrisis
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Necrisis » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:15 pm

"I didn't know that you belonged to the Sisterhood of Nichata."

Daliha smiled sheepishly, letting her reserved soldier's mask drop for a moment, revealing the young woman that Hibiki had known before the Usurper's War.
"Ah, well... I wasn't. The Sisterhood of Nichata is the largest and most active order of priestesses, but I was given to the Order of White Lillies, to be trained as a Vestal. But... I failed my Rites. Like many Necrians, my latent psionics remain dormant. But I couldn't return to my family. Mother and Father needed the money, and I was just a burden to them. I had already trained for five years, you know? I couldn't return with nothing to show, nothing to help.
"
She guided Hibiki onto the bus, finding seats towards the back.
"I finished my wardship as an Acolyte - one of the oldest - teaching new neophytes, seeing younger girls surpass me. It hurt, I won't lie. When I left, I had enough military and medical training to enter the armed forces, but no money to continue an education to become an officer or a physician proper. Family had been shipped off with other lower families. Some colony world. I never knew which one.
"I was all but Houseless. So when I joined the forces, I was placed into the Reactionaries. You know the rest."

She caught Hibiki's eye as the bus pulled away and headed to City Center. "They would have liked you, though. Mother and Father, little Haelk. Mother always said 'prejudice was for those in high towers.' She was right."

Downtown Korfel
The Revelry

"Getting out data that proves atrocities will hurt the SIN's war effort more than anything we can do. If we can get Tyrass out, the drive should go with her."

Sork nodded, solemnly. "Yeah. Stuff like that... just wish we'd seen the NFP for what they were..." He stopped and shook his head. It didn't matter.
"Alright. Tyrass's consort. I don't know anything directly but coming and going of the upper echelon should have been recorded at the station. Unfortunately, its under about two thousand tons of rubble and a crashed Wraith. I've been working out of the neighboring precinct. Back ups should be there, but I'm using guest profiles to log in and just... if the computer systems were hell before, its ten times worse now."

They made their way back into the kitchen/living room to find Shuji, Kalex and Eikichi seated at the table, eating in silence.
Kalex rose as Sork and Kurshina entered. "You both need to each something. Please. Let's all sit down and discuss."
"Discuss what?" Sork asked, but a low growl from his gut made his ears tinge. He couldn't actually remember when he last ate. "Briefly. Kelaetra gave us a lead. I need time to follow up."
"Oh?" Kalex and Shuji shared a look, before Kalex turned back to Sork. "What sort of lead?"

Sork accepted the plate of dried meats and fruit, while Shuji quietly excused himself and hurried back to the saferoom, but Kurshina supplied the answer.
"She had a secret lover, here in Korfel."
Kalex cocked an eyebrow. "Oh, Lord Waeryd? He's an eccentric fellow, lives up to his name, but doesn't care for the Dominion at all. Well, the Imperium, now, I suppose."

He handed Kurshina the plate before he caught both the officer's faces. "What?"

"How do you know that?" Sork asked, face caught somewhere between suspicion and elation.

"Oh, well..." Kalex blushed. "He held all sorts of fancy parties before... well all this. I attended with the 'family,' as you do. Keeping up appearances and all that. I saw him and Lady Tyrass together at more than a few. I just... knew. The way they looked at each other, how they danced. They rarely talked to anyone besides each other. She was always there before the party started, never seen leaving."

He sat back down, putting a hand around Eikichi's waist and pulling the tod closer, placing small kiss on the other's cheek. "In hindsight, it's even more obvious. I could see ourselves in them. Two starcrossed hearts."

Xiscapia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Xiscapia » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:05 pm

Hibiki listened quietly as they climbed onto the bus, the small smile she initially wore fading quickly. Daliha's life had been one of rejection, from the Vestals and from the regular military, a medic who grew faint at the sight of blood who harbored an unrequited love for her brothers and sisters-in-arms. She hadn't known that when she first met Daliha, only seeing a lonely young Necrian in need of guidance and affection. That had blossomed into the sort of love that had kept them together for years, through discrimination and hardship and war, so even if Daliha was long over those feelings it was still painful for Hibiki to hear. It made her take the woman's hand as they sat down near the back of the bus, quiet conversation carrying among the silent Sisters.

"They would have liked you, though. Mother and Father, little Haelk. Mother always said 'prejudice was for those in high towers.' She was right."

"I hope so," Hibiki's smile as back as she squeezed Daliha's hand before letting go. "But no one ever told you where they ended up? We should try to find them. They must be worried about you. Especially in these times."

Downtown Korfel, The Revelry...

Following Sork into the penthouse proper, Kurshina was already thinking about how to solve this problem. Fel'tethra's government computer systems had never been the best, small colony that it was, and the invasion hadn't helped matters. At this rate, it might be better to get a hard copy of the information they wanted, but that would leave a paper trail and would also probably raise suspicions as to why the commissioner wanted the personal information of this man. It would have to be approached delicately. Taking the plate of food that was proffered to her, the vixen sat down at the table with Kalex and Eikichi, watching Shuji go. She couldn't imagine what her fellow kitsune was going through right now.

"Oh, Lord Waeryd? He's an eccentric fellow, lives up to his name, but doesn't care for the Dominion at all. Well, the Imperium, now, I suppose."

Head whipping around, Kurshina stared at Kalex. She felt like a fool. Of course the son of one of Fel'tethra's most powerful people would know other members of the upper crust -thank the gods they had brought it up with him. Sharing a look with Sork, the vixen took a quick bite of meat, chewing rapidly before swallowing. "Do you know the address of this Lord Waeryd? Or a place of business?"

Giggling as he leaned against Kalex, Eikichi kissed him back before giving his boyfriend a sidelong look. "Hey, why were they secret lovers, anyway? The governor was never married, right? What's the problem?"

"Necrians are not usually so libertine," Kurshina looked over at the tod. "And there's something to be said for avoiding the attention that such a couple would bring."
R.I.P. Shal - 1/17/10

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents