NATION

PASSWORD

This Tower Of Ours [Closed/Archive]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Chadicia
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 16, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

This Tower Of Ours [Closed/Archive]

Postby Chadicia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:44 pm

This Tower of Ours [Part 1]

Natasha Nalklov sighed as she rubbed her aching wrist, she'd lost count of how many meaningless trivial documents she sighed off on. At least a hundred, the stack to her right indicated as such as it now had enough papers to fill several large books, still, she felt obligated to thoroughly read each and every one of the documents before signing off on it. This new influx of paper work was the result of her newly created Commonwealth People's Parliament, the members of whom constantly write up bills, review, and vote on said bills to be sent to her for official passing. The Parliament didn't have any executive power but so far very few of the bills Natasha had to deny, the system was more or less working.

Taking a brief break Natasha placed down her pen and removed the reading glasses that she had recently been advised to purchase, she didn't like the spectacles, they made her look old, but she couldn't deny they eased the strain in her eyes. Rubbing the bridge of her nose Natasha's gaze wondered over to the picture frame that sat at the corner of her desk, Kosei's beautiful face smiled up at her and she immediately felt better. She touched the necklace that hung from her neck, a white talisman with the Outsider's mark pressed into it with silver inlaid, identical to the one Kosei wore. Natasha could almost feel her presence through the necklace, as if the Void connected them across thousands of kilometres, she wished she was here now so they could tackle the issues together, discuss them, Natasha longed for the light in her partner's brown eyes that came out whenever she talked of something she was passionate about. Alas dear Kosei had her own nation to run, and her own parliament to handle.

There was a knock from the large double doors that were the entrance to Natasha's monolithic office. Talia, her secretary, walked in, Natasha was lucky to have a dedicated aid like her. It also helped that the girl was easy on the eyes, had Natasha not been a married woman she could see herself perusing her. Oh well, Kosei was all the romantic company Natasha needed, even if she wasn't physically present all the time.

"Just finished the stack?" Talia asked, giving a sympathetic smile.

"Just barely, much more and I don't think I'll make it," Natasha joked.

"Well luckily for your continued rein my lady, that's all the paperwork for today."

"Thank Sithis," Natasha said in relief, rubbing her temples. "This isn't exactly what I thought governing the Commonwealth would be like, somehow I never imagined my uncle signing paperwork all day."

"Something tells me he didn't," Talia said, taking the stack of papers in her arms as if they weighed nothing. "To be honest I don't know what he did up here all day, besides perhaps torturing small animals."

Natasha could help but snort in laughter as Talia grinned and left, swaying those hips of hers that Natasha convinced herself she was not staring at. She was rather looking lovingly at the picture of her wife once again, yes, that is what she did. Once her secretary left she leaned back in her chair, sighing and enjoying the moment of relaxation. She stretched and rain her fingers through her silver hair before standing up, stretching again, and moving to the balcony.

Outside was the fruit of one of her many labours, after Kosei's visit and their almost systematic revelation of feelings. Natasha couldn't stop thinking about how much her love had enjoyed The Garden of the Mother, the biologically engineered park that bloomed year-round. It was protected from the elements by a large dome.

Natasha, with a little persuasion, was able to have the whole thing moved. Where there was once a wide open square around Chunwall Tower, used for military parades and the like. Was now a huge garden, lush grass flanked marble walkways, trees provided shade and fresh fruit. Birds and other animals moved along the plants, hummingbirds fed upon the rainbow of flowers and the whole thing shone a almost unearthly light. Statues were placed in several spots, depicting Sithis and his children and important Chadician figures including, Natasha knew, the smiling face of her late uncle.

As it was summer the garden was open to the sky, but in a moments notice a heavy dome could be raised that encompassed the entire garden and actually fit around the tower itself. Which was one of the ways Natasha was able to sell the idea, the dome was made of thick treated steel and lined with lead and titanium. In an emergency it could block incoming missiles from hitting the base of the tower or any of the land immediately around it.

It the garden Natasha could spot couples on a date, tourists snapping pictures of the statues, of the tower, and the Red Guard's outside of it. All of this in spite of the fact that most of what Natasha saw was illegal not three months ago. As she continued to look she saw several concession stands and other little booths that were scattered about, creating a small market of sorts. Foreigners, Chadician's, people from all walks of life were happy, laughing, merry. All within the shadow of the Grey Tower which was no longer a symbol of fear and oppression, but a silent stoic guardian that the people looked upon with fondness rather than anxiety. Suddenly the paperwork was inconsequential in the face of what Natasha saw, it made her smile.

"Nice flowers, colourful."

Natasha jumped and spun around, her hand flying to the hilt of her sword, ready to attack the intruder. When she looked around her empty office, however, she found no one, which confused her. The voice had been close, right by her ear as if someone had snuck up behind her and avoided her honed senses, it had been male and eerily familiar with a slight echo-like quality to it.

"Did you miiissss me?" the voice seemed to bleed from the walls, it filled Natasha's head as her vision blurred a tad. There was movement as the edges of her vision, a talk dark figure, a bedrock of fear settled in Nat's stomach, she reached up and rubbed her eyes and nearly had a heart attack at what she saw. Only inches from her face was a pair of overly wide golden irises, oily black hair slicked backwards, a well-groomed beard that surrounded a large demented smile.

"I missed you," Chadwick Nalklov said as a insane laugh oozed from his mouth. Nat felt her skin crawl, her heart skip a beat and a cold sweat that broke out on her brow as she stared at the defiantly live face of her long-term tormentor.

"You're not here, you're dead!" Natasha said, with a ringing sound her sword came free and sliced through where Chadwick Nalkov was, he disappeared and Nat was given a moment to recover before his haunting voice reached her again. This time to her right.

"Loving the garden, really. Are the flowers poisonous? Maybe the birds eat human flesh? The possibilities are endless really."

Natasha stared at him, he couldn't be real, he was dead. She had seen his body herself it had been shot not to mention she and thousands of other watched as his body turned to ash in the cremation fire. Yet there he stood, looking as he did in his prime, straight-backed, an almost healthy glow to him with well-kept hair, clean uniform and a cane that was only an accessory rather than a necessity.

"Relax, you're just having a severe auditory and visual hallucination," The former Lord Commander winked at her as if they were sharing a private joke. "What is dead may never truly die my dear."

"This... This is just the stress," Nat said to herself, replacing her sword and putting her face in her hands and hoping Chadwick would just disappear. "I need to relax some more, yes that's it, maybe I should go visit Kosei..."

"And have some, ah-hem, private diplomacy? Gotta say you scored well with that one, good for you, I would have married her myself if I didn't despise human contact, and it I wasn't, you know, dead," Chadwick said casually, leaning on the balcony.

"If I ignore him, he'll go away," Nat said into her hands.

"You know, talking to yourself is arguably a more worrying sign of your worsening sanity than your current hallucination. I used to talk to myself and I'm not exactly the model of a sound mind am I?"

"I'm not going insane."

"Keep telling yourself that sweetheart, the Mad Tower will claim you in the end. Maybe it's the air, we are rather high up, oxygen starvation would explain a lot, particularly Gregory Dubanov the Mad. Before your time of course, the man once named his horse to the Lord's Council, he was just asking for a revolution I tell you."

Natasha didn't respond, she walked back to her desk and sat down, closing her eyes and rubbing her temples. When she opened her eyes again Chadwick was taking a seat in the guest chair, he rested his feet atop Nat's desk and removed his cap. Tossing the thing over his shoulder and absentmindedly twirling his cane in his hand, like he used to do in his youth.

"So here you are, top of the tower, congrats. You beat the Prince, the Lawyer and the Soldier, and just to spite his memory you actually cloned Skalo to lead your armies, nice. It what I would've done I your position."

Natasha bit her lip in guilt, every time she saw Skalo, or rather Aron Salko as his clone was called. Their copy was just as fiery and as dedicated as the original, the only difference was that he was completely and unquestionably loyal to Natasha.

"No need to feel bad, you didn't kill Skalo and his double has no idea he ever existed. It was a smart move, I approve, really and now I hear your splicing together a child from pieces of yourself and your lover. I wonder if she'll be as mad as you or me?"

"What are you here?" Natasha finally spoke, staring defiantly at the hallucination.

"Sithis knows, not me. I'm just a figment of your imagination, here to entertain and to scare. Maybe it because you can't move on? We could speculate all day but what does it matter? I'm dead, you're in charge. All the power of the Commonwealth and what it the first thing you do with it? Build a garden, bravo. I'm glad you took my place to improve the local flora."

"I did what I did for the good of the Commonwealth," Natasha said.

"The Commonwealth, ha," Nalklov chuckled. "What is the Commonwealth but a lie we tell ourselves every night, a story we tell the children over and over until we believe it to be real? A story of a fallen empire, a glorious revolution, and a madman in a tower."

"And what's left once we forget the lie?" Natasha. "What happens when we stop telling that story? What's left behind? A gaping pit of chaos that swallows everyone, good or bad."

"I'm afraid you are mistaken, sweetheart, chaos isn't a pit" Chadwick said patronizingly. "Chaos is a tower, a tall tower with an endless staircase. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, are given a chance to climb. They refuse, they cling to the realm or the gods or love. Illusions. In truth only the tower is real.... The climb is all there is."

"We both made that climb, and only one of us is alive."

"Heh, maybe you're right, see you later sweetheart."

Natasha blinked and Nalklov was gone, not a sign of his presence left behind. Nat sighed and once again massaged her temples, a stone of anxiety settling in her stomach.

"Outsider help me."

Chadicia
Spokesperson

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Chadicia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:49 pm

This Tower of Ours [Part 2]

Natasha had retreated into her chambers proper. Compared to her actual office it was of humble manner with a simple bed, a night desk, bookshelf, and a small washroom that she stood in now. Natasha had removed her sword, boots, and coat leaving her win nothing but a blouse and skirt. The tiled floor of the washroom was cold under her bare feet and yet it was strangely comforting. Natasha bent over the sink while hot water ran from the tap, it scolded her hands but she ignored the dull pain and splashed the water on her face. It cleared her head and washed away her anxiety, or at least it did briefly before she looked up and nearly had a heart attack.

Reflected in the mirror and standing behind her was Issak Dubanov. In the flesh, fully uniformed and with his sword that should've been lying on her bed in the other room. Natasha froze in place with a moment of pure panic as she stared at the should-be-dead face of her very recent adversary. His scarlet eyes bore into Nat's violet ones as she drowned in a room full of air. Her jaw was slack and became tense suddenly as she clenched her muscles and ground her teeth as the rode the storm if fear and anxiety.

"You aren't here," Natasha finally said.

"No," Dubanov said. "I am not here, I am not standing where you do in the Tower of Kings. My birthright, no, because you murdered me."

"I... I didn't..."

"Perhaps not directly, but you made that decision. You told that... Thing, to torture me for information then kill me. A bold move and in itself can be justified, it was war, but the fact that you claim to stand for peace and the dignity of life. Does your hypocrisy know no bounds?"

"That... That was different..." Natasha said, suddenly feeling sick to her stomach.

"Was it? And how many more 'different' situations are there? Mm?" Dubanov removed his cap, revealing his dirty blond hair. "Does the end justify the means? Mm? What do you truly stand by?"

"I don't need to explain myself to you. As you say it was war and we were enemies," Natasha said defiantly.

"I agree, and you won. I'm dead, a shadow of Skalo leads your armies, and Wrocklowski bowed to you. In fact she was the only one you didn't destroy, yet, she was your enemy too yes? How long until her situation becomes different? Hm?" Issak shook his head. "How long can you live with your fears?"

Suddenly there was a knock at the door and Natasha turned from the mirror, Dubanov was gone. She heard the door open and Natasha's heart fluttered as she heard the last voice she wanted to hear call out.

"Lady Commander?" Elena Wrocklowski called out. "Are you in here? I have a few pages from the American economic report you wanted that you should probably look at. Natasha?"

Elena came into view of the washroom door, she stared in at a very distressed looking Natasha. A crease of concern came across her brow and it made Nat's insides ache with guilt, why did this woman care for her? She was her enemy, they should hate each other but instead there Elena stood looking at her like a friend.

"Are you alright?" Wrocklowski asked.

Natasha's heart beat hard. Her brow was slick with sweat and she was itchy. She felt as if reality was being ripped away from under her feet and tossed from the top of the tower. Her vision swam and she felt light-headed. The guilt of her transgressions was hitting her full force at this moment dispute all effort to suppress it. Every terrible action suddenly gained wait and Natasha couldn't bare it, her heart cracked and screamed out for relief as she inwardly gasped for breath. The ocean slowly sucked her into an everlasting abyss that not even Sithis could follow, Natasha felt so alone and so exposed. She had never been a shy woman, quite the opposite in fact but right now she wanted to escape, to hide her face and lock herself away from the judgmental eyes of her peers. Natasha was afraid.

"I'm fine," Nat said. "Just tired, I was washing up is all. I'll review the report when I have time, just leave it on my desk."

"Of course," Elena said unsurely, she turned to leave but stopped to say something else. "You know, when your uncle was alive he sought out Checklov, Jon's help to both diagnose him and try and cure his illness. As well as a sort of impromptu therapist I'm told."

"...Okay?" Natasha said.

"It's just... Jon usually skulks around the garden, mostly because he gets bored easily, you should talk to him," Elena pressed. "He's an... Interesting man."

"I'll take note of that," Natasha said as the lawyer left. She turned back towards the mirror at waited while she listened to the click of Elena's heels leave through the big office door. She didn't turn away from the mirror until she was sure that no other apparitions were going to visit her today. None did, so she left the washroom and replaced her discarded articles of clothing. As she did so Natasha thought about what Elena gad said, recommending a talking with Jon Checklov. She didn't know how it would help but at the very least the calming atmosphere of the garden would clear her head.

She dismissed the Red Guards whom tried to follow her, saying she was only taking a walk. The elevator brought her down rapidly to the ground floor where she walked by Talia who smiled at her. The guards by the front door opened it for her and Natasha was greeted by a gust of warm summers wind that brought a calm smile to her face that only grew as she descended the tower steps and into the garden proper. Sweet aromas of flowers and fresh fruit filled her lungs as well as the gentle din of chirping birds and happy chatting people, many of whom noticed their leader had made an appearance and waved. They seemed simply overjoyed when Natasha waved back with a smile. She casually put her hands behind her back and strolled around the garden, keeping the tower to her right.

Natasha loved the summer, which was ironic due to her unofficial title as 'The Lady of the North.' However, the truth was that despite her being born to cold winds and ceaseless snows Natasha lived for the clear skies and warm sun. She was so envious of countries more south than she, their summers could last almost as long as Commonwealth winters. Natasha wondered if she could get away with an extended vacation to one such country, perhaps try to get a tan rather than a burn this time.

In her happy strolling through the Garden of the Mother, Nat almost forgot what she had come outside for in the first place. It was only when she rounded a corner and spotted a peculiar man sitting on a park bench and chewing on a muffin did she recall. Jon Checklov was by all accounts a very odd person, off putting even to the usual very open and welcoming Chadicians. He was thin, deathly so, with pallid skin, long messy black hair that stuck in every direction and a lazy scruff over his jaw. His pants, collared shirt, and vest were probably nice at one moment but now they were wrinkled and stained giving Checklov the appearance of a businessman who had become homeless. A pair of dirty and cracked goggles further messed his hair as they rested on his head, reinforcing the greasy engineer feel about him. His face was gaunt and forlorn, with heavy bags from lack of sleep under his honey coloured eyes that were deep-seated and added to the tortured and beaten-down look of Jon Checklov.

Natasha didn't know much about him, which one might find odd seeing as she was the one whom made him the Head Director of the Minervascul. To be honest though it was less do to his qualifications and more to the fact that he was the most readily and conveniently available person at the time. She needed to real in the chaotic and damaging nature that the Minervascul had developed, so when she made her peace with Elena then Checklov sort of just got shoved into The Circle. During meetings he said nothing, only chewed on a slice of cold pizza or whispered some snide comment to Elena which usually got an eye-roll and occasionally a giggle. Natasha was very content to let Checklov do as he pleased as long as her wishes for the Minervascul were carried out, and without issue they were. Hundreds of morally inexcusable experiments and projects shut down with the prisoners being used for test subjects released and checked into hospitals appropriately. Head of the Commonwealth's scientists, founder of her most profitable company, and inventor of the technology that shrouded her agents in shadow. It was hard to believe the queer little man sitting on a park bench and eating a muffin could be all these things and yet he was, Elena wasn't kidding when she called him interesting, he hadn't said a word and already he had Natasha's respect.

Jon Checklov continued to say nothing as Natasha took a seat next to him. He merely continued to eat his muffin, he sat in an almost fetal position, with his needs brought up to his chest and his body slouched forward to nibble on his pastry like an animal. Yes, the likeness to an absentminded cat of some sort was very obvious. Still no words were said, only the sounds of the wind and the chewing of a muffin broke the silence. It went on until eventually Jon gulped down the last crumb of his muffin and tossed the wrapper in a nearby trashcan, he picked at his teeth and belched softly before speaking.

"What can I do for you, Lady Commander?" He asked.

"You can just call me Natasha."

"Yes I can," Jon said tiredly and with a hint of sarcasm. "But that doesn't answer the question that was asked. Please do so."

"Well..." Natasha began, somehow not bothered by Jon's rude attitude. "Elena though I should talk to you."

"And why would she say that," Jon scratched his messy hair.

"Because... Because I've been hallucinating."

There was a long pause after that. Natasha really didn't know she expected as a reaction but anything would've been better than this still silence, she didn't know what was going on in Checklov's head and she hated not knowing. She resisted the urge to search Jon's face, to look for any sort of mental tell that would alert her to his thoughts, her training screamed at her to do so but she didn't. Or at least she didn't for a solid minute before she broke down and looked, she met Checklov's honey eyes with her violet ones.

"Have you also been experiencing bouts of rage or extreme joy at innappropriate times?" Jon asked urgently.

"What? No," Nat said.

"Perhaps moments of violence?"

"No? What does this have to do with anything?"

"Have you been feeling overly tired?" Jon asked, ignoring her. "Loss of muscle tone, loss of appetite? Have you been finding blood in your waste or vomiting it?"

"No!" Natasha said, disgusted. "What're you talking about?"

"Those are the symptoms your uncle experienced most of his life, right up until his death," Checklov explained. "And to my knowledge, they only began once he took his place atop Chunwall Tower. I don't know what it is, but since the days of the old empire no leader of Chadicia has ever died a natural death, there is something very wrong with that tower."

Natasha took the time to absorb that information. She recalled every moment of uncertainty, the sense of an overcast shadow always out of view, of some dark presence in the back of her mind. Yes, it didn't take long for Natasha to understand what Jon was talking about, for as long as history had recorded it every leader of Chadicia had succumb to some form of madness before inevitably being claimed by the Void. Natasha had to intention of joining them.

"What should I do?"

"Leave," Jon said casually. "That's the same advice I gave your uncle. You've barely left that tower since you won it, you live in it, eat in it, heck you've probably made love in that tower. It's that sort of behavior that'll be your downfall, the best thing you can do now is... Take a trip as it were, you need to clear your head, to come into tune with yourself. Your uncle wouldn't have it, he was too paranoid that someone would take advantage of his absence to gain power or even overthrow him. A fair point really, but your situation is very different. You are loved, respected, worshiped even. Elena, the only rival to survive has come around to your side, she may disagree with you but she respects you like no other. I don't see anyone betraying you."

"But... I can't just leave, it's irresponsible, selfish, I have an obligation to serve as the Lady Commander of the Commonwealth!" Natasha exclaimed, castrating herself for even considering the idea.

"Not indefinitely no, but we can operate without you for a month or so, easy enough to fake your signature after all," Checklov shrugged.

"I... Suppose," Natasha said in uncertainty. "But what about Victoria or Thalia? Who will care for them?"

“Babysitters are easy enough to find,” Checklov shrugged. “Besides there's always the Princess Ariella, she's just as much a caretaker to them as you are.”

“But… Where would I go?”

"Wherever you want I suppose," Jon said. "But wherever you go you need to rid yourself of all doubts, you need to understand completely who you are. That's where the sickness breeds, uncertainty and fear. You must rid yourself of these."

"What if I can't?"

"Well I suppose you'll suffer a painful death, and thus the circle continues," Jon said, scratching his face. "I don't care either way, but something tells me that you do."

She did, Natasha cared a lot. If not for her own sake but for those whom she cared about, she imagined Kosei whom she had wed not a week ago. What would it do to her if Natasha lost her mind? She couldn't bare to think of it, not to mention how could she continue to act as the Lady Commander if she wasn't mentally stable? Yet what Jon was suggesting was ludicrous, she could just drop everything and leave! She didn't even completely understand why she was going or where she was going. It was then that Natasha experienced a moment of reflection, she could count on her fingers the amount of times she had actually left Chunwall at all. Outside of the visits to allied capitols and meetings with national leaders, all of which transpired in recent times. Other than that Natasha had lived in Chunwall all her life, heck she hadn't even travelled the Commonwealth in any substantial way, suddenly she felt like a sheltered little girl taking her first tentative steps into the big wide world. It was frightening. Yet that fear, that inexperience, that childlike feeling, was only a greater motivator to go ahead with this course of action. Not only to save her sanity, but to prove to herself that she could survive outside of the sheltered environment of the Tower. In her heart and in her mind this idea called out to her, something waited for her arrival out there she just didn't know what.

"Okay," Natasha said quietly. "I should tell the others..."

"Bad idea," Jon stated. "They'll stop you. I'll explain the situation to them, spare you the backlash."

"I suppose..." Natasha paused to think, she didn't want to be seen leaving. No, she didn't want to be seen at all. It would be better to do all of this incognito to avoid causing a panic, what would people think if they knew she was doing this? Luckily Natasha knew where to go ant least initially. Being the kind of person she was Natasha had a safe house nearby with clothes and other items meant to give her the ability to escape the capital if under enemy attack. She supposed this wasn't too different really, instead she was fleeing her own insanity.

"If your going, go now," Jon encouraged. "That secretary of yours will come searching for you yet, and this one thinks that you don't have the will to stick with your current path if questioned."

"Fine," Natasha said, steeling her courage and standing up. "Wish me well."

"It won't make any difference, for our fates are in the hands of the Void," Checklov said. "What will be shall be."

"Still, encouragement would be nice," Natasha said. "Goodbye, Jon Checklov."

"Until we next meet, Natasha Nalklov."

Without a moment more of hesitation Natasha left Jon to his bench. Stealthily as as quickly as she could she made her way out of the gardens and into the streets of Chunwall, she kept to back alleyways and side paths. Her face and appearance were very recognizable so she had to avoid being seen at all, fortunately her safe house wasn't far away and soon she slipped through the front door of the nondescript loft. Inside was cloths, food, supplies, weapons, everything. Natasha quickly stripped herself of her own cloths and cleared the make-up from her face in a nearby sink she then dressed herself in simple cargo pantts, a white tang top, sturdy leather boots, and a warm white unlabelled hoodie. Natasha took a look at herself in a mirror and she frowned, she still looked like herself. She ran her fingers throw her long white hair before she had an idea, Natasha tied her hair back into a messy ball befor grabbing a nearby combat knife and with a deep breath she sheered the bun clean off. What remained of her hair hung barely last her ears but transformed her into a much different woman. Natasha clipped the combat knife to her belt and hid it under her sweater before grabbing a satchel and filling it with water, preserved food, wads of Choins, and other small items.

Slinging the bag over her shoulder Natasha pulled her hood up and stepped out into the crisp air of Chunwall. It struck her suddenly what she was doing, what she was embarking on, at least for a while she was free of the responsibility of leading the Commonwealth and free to do what she wished. It was.. Liberating, exhilarating, and frightening, but with a deep breath she stole her courage and began walking in a random direction. No one spared Natasha a glance, she was a ghost by all accounts.

Her home was behind, the world was ahead.

Chadicia
Spokesperson

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Chadicia » Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:52 pm

This Tower Of Ours [Part 3]

For one of the first times in her life Natasha felt cold.

The sky above was overcast blanket of darkness that entrapped the world. Not a light or flicker of one could be seen for a thousand leagues in every direction. Only the hard frosty tundra of the north with the solemn and grim mountains acting as a stark backdrop. A cold and biting wind froze the soft flesh of Natasha’s cheeks and made her ears burn despite the hood that covered them. This cold wasn't sharp it was dull, a slow but hard hammer that beat into ones fresh and pressed into the bones.

It was the middle of summer.

Not fir the first time Nat thought of carpets and drapes of Chunwall Tower. With warm air flowing constantly and a fire always pushing away the insistent northern chill. Alas it was that sort of thinking that drove Nat forward, she would not allow herself to mentally imprison herself to that tower. Natasha had left Chunwall in a westerly direction, going east seemed pure folly as the only thing east was cold, mountains, the Wall, and an uncertain peace. No, west was much safer if only by a margin.

She had travelled first by foot, then by hitchhiking, then she had hopped on a bus all the way to Runnow that lay on the “border” between Chadicia and Skandicia but the buses didn't run this late and nor did anyone drive at this hour. Thus by her own naïveté and idiocy Nat found herself walking a lonely road to Tarcadia herself.

Nat shivered, it got colder up in Chunwall of course as she could attest. So cold stone would crack and the sea would form ice mid-wave. But there was always warm blankets and hearths to push it away. Natasha understood all the quips about how cold the Commonwealth was now more then ever, she shivered again.

In the darkness she would see things. Shapes moving just outside of view, perhaps the glint of beastly eyes. Nat recalled reports from the Minervascul about the animal life in the Commonwealth. Tales of wolves as large as horses, snow tigers that could smell prey from leagues away, and polar bears that would eat grown adults for a snack. Natasha had seen her fair share of combat, killed her share of men, she didn't like her chances put up against two hundred pounds of harsh northern evolution.

Although beasts may not have been the only thing that stalked Nat in the dark. There were moments when the wind died, the cold solidified, and the shadows seem to grow and suffocate. An overwhelming presence would surround her, cause her hair to stand up and her skin to break out in gooseflesh. The chain around her neck, the one that carries the mark of the Outsider grew heavier in those moments and burns her skin with its cold metal chainlike. The Void stalked this night, and Natasha was right in the thick of it.

As if in answer to her plight Nat spotted lights in the distance. What looked like a small town lay only a few kilometres ahead in her path. Nat couldn't recall such a place existing on any map but then again one could hardly mark every small town that popped up. With renewed vigour Nat hurried towards the town.

It was no Tarcadia and certainly no Chunwall, judging by the amount of houses and other buildings Nat guessed that there was no more than a few hundred people living here. She smelt the air and detected salt, the Tarcadian Sea wasn't too far off which meant she wasn't too far from Tarcadia itself and the border between Chadicia and the Commonwealth’s most recent territory: East Valcouria.

There was no inn to speak of but there was however a tall building in the centre of the town. It had a wife band tall base with a bell tower towards the front. At first Natasha mistook it fir a town hall of some sort but as she drew closer she realized the light coming from the windows highlighted likenesses of angles and figures that Nat couldn't name, all pressed into stained glass. It was a church, and for reasons unknown to her Nat found herself climbing the short steps and knocking on the chapels large wooden doors.

She didn't have to wait long before the door was answered. A woman stood highlighted by the warm and inviting candle light. She was dressed in simple white robes with her head covered as well leaving only her kindly face revealed.

“Oh, my poor child you must be freezing! Come, you can warm yourself by the fire. Everyone is welcome in the Lords household.” With gentle hands the nun guided Nat into the chapel and closed the door behind her. Inside was brightly lit and warm, pews lined either side of a long aisle and chandeliers hung above. At the far end stood the altar with a talk wooden cross adorned with the likeness of the Christian messiah. Natasha took a moment to recall his name, Horus? No, Ah that was it. Jesus Christ.

The nun brought Nat towards the altar but turned her to the right where's roaring fire in a homely brick fireplace awaited. Nat was seated onto a soft rug and the nun disappeared briefly to return with a warm blanket and a cup of what smelt like warm cocoa. The nun draped the blanket over Natasha’s shoulders and goaded her to drink while she lowered Nat’s hood and rubbed the feeling back into her ears.

“Do you have a name, dear child?” The nun asked.

“I'm Na-“ she couldn't use her real name. “Uh, Rose, Rosaline.”

“I'm sister Helen,” the sun said with a welcoming smile. Natasha took a moment to study what she could see of Helen’s features. She had a fair complexion with the slight shade of a southron to her, her face was rounded and full without the sharp features and gauntness that was more common with Chadicians. Her eyes were brown and large and Nat thought she could spot just a hint of blond hair sticking out of Helen’s head coverage.

“You’re not Chadician,” Nat stated with certainty.

“No,” Helen confirmed. “I was born to the marshes of the southwest. In a city called Hampstead in the country now known as East Valcouria but was once simply Valcouria.”

“And did… I mean we're you forced to move? Because of the war?” Nat asked.

“Not at all. I had come to the Commonwealth of my own free choosing after I decided to spread the Lord’s message to the north,” Helen explained. “I had been living as a citizen of Chadicia for six years before the first of the fighting broke out.”

“And you've been accepted here?”

“Fully, the stories to the south would have you believe that you Chadicians burn churches by the thousand and sacrifice God’s children to their pagan spirits of darkness. I find the truth to be quite the contrary, in reality I find myself gaining respect when earned and being treated with all the fairness and kindness I could ask for. There are a fair number here whom have converted and now live as devout Christians, but even those whom keep to the Void have never attempted to harm, berate, or desecrate my peaceful practices.”

“There are many in your homeland who would call you a liar,” Natasha stated.

“To lie is to sin, but God knows I speak true,” Helen said. “But what of you? Why is a woman so young travelling alone at night?”

“Just.. Searching.”

“For?”

“To say guidance would be to sound cliché”

“Even still, if guidance is what you seek then only the Lord can give you that,” Helen smiled at her. “But judging my your necklace you keep to the Void I assume?”

“Yes,” Nat said with a tone of uncertainty.

“And why would a child of Sithis be drawn to take sanctuary in God’s household? I think you were meant to come here, Rosaline. Rest as you will and use this chapel as a home, and if you feel the Holy Spirit calling on you I bid that you pray.”

“I thank you, truly, you've been most hospitable,” Natasha said, clasping one of the nuns hands.

“Thank the Lord, for he brought here,” Helen said with a smile and then she was gone.
Natasha turned towards the altar, she looked up at the man carved into the cross. Bound to it was a better term, nailed, with a crown of thrones adorning his head and yet his face showed no anguish only tranquility. It was a tad disturbing but Nat tried not to dwell on it, she thought about what Helen had said about Holy Spirit, about feeling it calling to her. Natasha assumed that it wouldn't feel all too dissimilar to when the Void called out to her. But she felt neither that or any such sensation now, only the warmth of the fire and blanket.

“…hello,” Natasha said tentatively to the altar, she felt ridiculous. “I've never prayed or felt you before, perhaps I never will but… I'll be going into your land soon, even though Valcouria has been beaten and split it still remains your country. Sithis may not help or guide me there so… I suppose I'm asking if you could guide me while I'm there, at least for a while. I've never been faithful to you but I'd like to think you’re kind, that's what your children tell me and that is what I think of my god. I hope you are.”

God didn't answer, but Natasha didn't really expect him too. However, as she laid her head down on the rug and began to drift off to sleep and did hear a voice but it wasn't the voice of a god. No, it was the voice of a demon that would ensure that her sleep would be plagued by nightmares and torturous horrors.

Oh sweetheart, remember what I said about talking to yourself?

Chadicia
Spokesperson

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Chadicia » Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:59 am

*PEW PEW* TRIGGER WARNING: CONTAINS SUGGESTED RAPE AND OTHER DARK THEMES *PEW PEW*

This Tower Of Ours [Part 4]

The world came through a hazy and disjointed lens, shadowy figures moved at the edges and occasionally would come close to peer at the creature within. It was a gangly thing, thin and malformed, its large glassy eyes stared at the little blue birds that flew past, they kept looking at her the little birds, they would look and look and write something down before looking again. Funny little birds they were, their nest was all cold steel and red blinking lights and the beeping of machines. Sometimes they would be visited by the ravens, the bluebirds were curious but the Ravens were scary, with big black eyes and long bellowing black tails they would look as well but with something other then curiosity.

Natasha gasped and shivered as the ice-cold water was poured over her head and travelled down her bare naked body. She was strapped to a uncomfortable steel chair that was configured in such a way that she couldn't quite relax or get comfortable. The world around her was dim, dark, and cold with featureless walls and no exit in sight. A face came into view, her tormentor, her torturer, her worst enemy.

Her comrade in arms.

She didn't know his name, there were no names here. But he was an agent in training just as her, he was practicing torture, she was practicing resisting it. Her fellow agent had an oval face with sharp cheekbones and a small forehead that was partly hidden behind a neat jet-black hairline. She had never seen his eyes, he always wore the standard issue sunglasses.

“What did you see?” He asked, his voice dead.

“Nothing,” Natasha said, her voice dead.

The agent slapped her.

“Who are you?”

“No one.”

Slap!

“Who are you?”

“My name is Rosaline, I grew up in Sunnow with my mom and dad and three brothers-“

Slap!

“…My name is Natasha Derklov-“

Slap!

“…Natasha and I have no last name, I was born in Tarcadia with no siblings. I never met my parents, I lived on the streets for years until I was taken in by the state-“

Wham!, this one was a punch, Natasha spat blood.

“…I was taken in by a charitable family who got me into school. Now I work as a secretary at the local hospital, I made a good wage, I am not married, I live in a small apartment. By technicality I work for the state but I do t think of it like that personally.”

No slap, no punch, Natasha stared at the expressionless face of her comrade. He wasn't punishing her and that was the closest she would ever get to approval. She closed her eyes and when she opened them again she was standing in a line with seven other women and girls of varying ages. There was a twelve year old girl there. There was a male agent in front of them standing with a man who wore civilian clothing, his eyes were not as dead nor covered and as such Natasha found herself latching onto the small signs of life she saw in him. Anything that told her that there was a world outside of this was like a restoring nectar.

“You are female, that is objective,” the agent said to them blandly. “As females you have a distinct advantage over the heterosexual male target, and this is also objective. The ability to use sexual urges to your advantage is a skill you must learn to serve the CPA and the Commonwealth.”

The agent paused.

“49, a girl will step forward.”

The twelve year old took a step forward. She was tiny, slim, still not quite bloomed yet with a flat chest and a healthy bit of baby fat. Her hair was black and short, she had large doe-like turquoise eyes that sparkled with even the barest amount of light.

“A girl will seduce the man,” the agent said and stepped aside.

The twelve year old didn't even hesitate, she approached the strange man that clearly wasn't an agent. She went for cute rather then sexy, widening her eyes and keeping a tilt to her head that would make normal adults coo and perverts salivate. She tugged on the man's pant leg and as if he was simply standing somewhere minding his own business he looked down and raised his eyebrows. The stranger sweetly asked Agent 49 where her parents were, again like any common adult would. The small child gestures for the man to come closer and he knelt down to have the girl whisper something in his ear, at the same trailing a finger up his chest to caress his jawline. When the girl said what she wanted she gave the man a lingering kiss just under his ear and Natasha could've sworn she gave a playful nip of his skin as well. The man looked over to the observing Agent and nodded.

“A girl has succeeded, a girl may step back into line,” he said.

Instantly the seductive nature dropped and the twelve year old stepped back with her agent face coming back to her. Natasha felt slightly sick but she didn't allow herself to explore why. The agent scanned the line of women before alighting on her.

“42, a girl will step forward.”

Battling her nerves and the rising feeling of disgust in her stomach Natasha stepped forward.

“A girl will seduce the man.”

Natasha wanted to puke, she tried not to shake but it was a fruitless effort. She approached the man with what she hoped was a confident and alluring stride but more like came across as an easily frightened bird. The man smelt of musk and cologne which Nat supposed might have been attractive to other women but it only made her choke, his breath was hot like an animal, but she force her self to trace his jawline with a shaking hand and gave him her best bedroom eyes. The man snaked a strong arm around her waist which made Natasha shutter in disgust, his other hand trailed up her front under her shirt and approached her chest but Nat simply couldn't allow it. Without hesitation she roughly shoved the man away and sent him tumbling to the ground then stood in shock at what she had done.

They told stories of what happened to defiant agents. Simply executing them was too merciful, no, whispers of pain indescribable and a dark place of blood and insanity that lay deep beneath Chunwall. Before long Nat’s sight was filled with the blank face of their Agent instructor, he was expressionless and that was worse than had Natasha known he was angry. The tension of the situation and the fear of what would happen to her made Nat want to cry and scream at the same time but she resisted the urge because she knew that either of those actions would seal her fate.

“42,” the agent said softly. “What is your sexuality?”

“A girl has no sexuality, only what an agents tells her to be,” it was an automatic response, here you were only what they told you to be and Natasha was not about to push the envelope any further.

“No,” the agent said. “Take solace, what is your sexuality?”

“Take solace” was a code phrase. It meant relax, take off the mask, talk to me like a real human being. It was so rarely used that Natasha actually questioned if this was a trick of some sort to see if she would slip, but somehow she decided that it wasn't.
“A girl is homosexual,” Nat said, she had known for quite a while even before coming here. On the street one couldn't beat around the bush about who they liked and who they didn't. Having a clear identity was incredibly pertinent.

“This is objective,” the agent said. “Some targets are female homosexual as well, this is also objective. Using homosexual agents rather then attempting to force heterosexual agents to perform the seduction is CPA policy, this is objective.” The agent taped on his cuff and almost without pause a woman appeared next to the man, she was young, slim, and pretty with civilian clothes that complimented her curves.

“A girl will train in seduction with that one,” the agent said gesturing to the woman. He turned to look at the rest of the females. “Are there any others whom are objectively homosexual?” None answered, the agent gave Natasha a look before continuing his training with the hetero females. Nat was left to the nameless female.

Natasha spent a lot of time with that female, whom despite all their intimacy she never learned her name. Seduction became foreplay and foreplay became love making, Natasha lost her virginity to that female. They spent hours developing Nat’s skills in bed, with the female demonstrating and explaining the positions with Natasha and Nat returning the favour. It felt good, of course it did and yet Natasha not once ever wanted to connect with or even learn her lovers name. Not when they explored each other's bodies, not when she was pushed onto a bed and taken like a whore, and not when she did the same thing to the female. Natasha felt nothing but biological pleasure and it was that bare and objective fact that remained in Nat’s mind and scared her at night.

Once during one of their last practice sessions Natasha had pressed the woman to the bed, kissing with expert technique. The nameless female truly was lovely, alluring eyes, perfect curves, a welcome mouth with all drew Nat in. She retreated and was about to get under way when the female stopped her, they shared a look before the nameless female spoke.

“A girl does not love a woman,” she said softly, stroking Natasha’s silver hair.

“No, that is objective,” said Agent 42, before she kissed the woman again and slipped her fingers between her legs.

Seduction training ended, and Natasha never saw the woman again.

“Who are you?”

Natasha met her comrades sunglassed eyes steadily, her face expressionless.

“No one.”

Her comrade removed his sunglasses, revealing fiery orange eyes that surprisingly still held life in them.

“A man has been given a name. A man is Hartlo,” he said.

“A girl still has no name,” Nat said.

“No,” Hartlo said. “A girl has a name, she keeps it hidden well enough for us not to find it. Most agents simply kill the name, yet you were able to save it and remain Natasha.”

Nat blinked, she didn't understand.

“Tomorrow a girl will be raped by a male, that is the next part of the training,” Hartlo said. “A girl may want to kill herself and she may do it if she wishes, as long as Natasha still lives.”

“Is that objective?” Nat asked, not feeling fear at what she had just been told.

“Yes.”

“A girl may be cold and on the stone floor lie, but in the end what is dead may never die.”

Hartlo nodded, and replaced his sunglasses.

“What Is Dead May Never Die.”

Her eyes closed again.

You know, I've never actually been inside a church. I do recall burning my fair share though.

Natasha’s eyes opened again, she was in the church. Circled up in a blanket next to a fire that was slowly dying, it was still fairly dark outside but dawn would soon be coming.

Wow, that twat on the cross looks rather arrogant don't you think?

Sitting casually on a pew, twirling his cane, all grins and mad looks was Chadwick Nalklov. He looked over at Natasha and offered a wink and a tip of his top hat to her.

Pleasant dreams? Ah, I remember my agent training. Well, it was the Black Guard back then and they were basically just mercenaries. It was all your uncles idea the CPA, I think he just wanted to make other people a crazy as he was but who knows? That man confused even me.”

Natasha sat up, she felt weak, exposed for some reason. Her dreams had not been pleasant, it brought her back to her youth which she was loath to recall, but then there was that strange bit… With all the birds.

You know, with such a traumatic experience attached to your first time you'd think you'd avoid the activity, but no you practically whore yourself out. I mean, there's being loose and there's you. You've got countless girls you just found, there was that Reaper girl who you courted for a while..”

Natasha ignored him best she could, trying to focus on anything else. She stoked the smouldering coals of the fire absentmindedly as she attempted to tune her dead uncle out.

Then you have the Scandinavian kings daughter, that Minervascul girl who likes flowers, you never did it with Nightmare Essence but I could tell you both wanted it bad so we’ll put a pin in it for now. And of course you have that slut Ariella and your whore-wife Kosei-“

“Shut up,” Natasha said, clenching her jaw and rounding on her uncle with the red hot poker clenched in her hands. “Shut your f*cking mouth.”

Did I strike a nerve, sweetheart? I suppose you learned nothing from the Agency,” Chadwick Nalklov said with a breathy laugh and a raised eyebrow. “Otherwise you wouldn't care if I called Ariella or Kosei both cheap sluts-“

The poker stabbed through where the former Lord Commander’s chest should've been. It phased right through and stuck into the wooden back of the pew, Chadwick Nalklov looked down at the hot poker and raised his eyebrows before looking back up and throwing his hands in mock surrender.

“Oh no, you've murdered me,” he said with heavy sarcasm before flickering and disappearing entirely. The wood around the hot metal began to smoke and singe before a small flame burst free and steadily grew with the dry wood of the pew to feed upon, Natasha watched the fire dumbly as her head span wildly. The fire quickened its pace and began to lock the wall and tickle the draperies, Nat’s eyes widened as the drapes caught and the fire bloomed across the ceiling. Adrenaline shot through Natasha’s veins and she bolted out the door of the church and didn't stop to look back. She ran in vague line south-west out of the town, as she ran she heard shouts of “FIRE! AT THE CHURCH!” but she ignored both them and the horrible feeling in her gut.

She ran full tilt until she was well outside the town before stopping to catch her breath, the morning air stung her lungs. Her eyes stung as well and when Natasha rubbed them her hands came back wet, she was crying but wether from the smoke or her ordeal she couldn't say.

We should get some marshmallows

“Oh, f*ck me,” Nat growled as she looked to the side of the road where sure enough her ghostly tormentor stood leaning against a tree and staring through a pair of binoculars at the rising smoke that came from the village.

Burning churches is a time honoured tradition, I'm glad you’re getting in touch with your roots, sweetheart,”” Chadwick Nalklov said.

“It was an accident-“

Was it, oh come now my dear you can't tell me the very existence of that place didn't make you sick to your stomach. Pretentiousness and hypocrisy made manifest, gross.

“I didn't mean to… I was just…”

Angry? Face it, sweetheart you’re a Nalklov, Always Bend, Never Bow and all that. Where we go the righteous burn,” Chadwick grinned and pointed with his cane. “Tarcadia is that way, we have a long walk ahead of us.”

“Us?” Nat asked.

Oh yes, what you think running away would fix you? Oh no, I'm a part of you, sweetheart, and I'm in for the long haul. Shall we?
Last edited by Chadicia on Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Chadicia
Spokesperson

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Chadicia » Wed Aug 17, 2016 11:49 am

This Tower Of Ours [Part 5]

The train blew it's whistle as it pulled into East Bainbridge Station, the ride had been several hours and Natasha was really regretting not choosing to go on a ferry instead as she stretched her blood-starved legs out on the platform. From the station she could see where the city began, the train brought you right into the heart of East Bainbridge. Tall buildings, humble homes, and architecture galore that all surrounded the shining jewel that was the palace which practically sparkled in the distance. This beauty however was scarred by one thing: the tall stone wall that ran the length of the city and beyond, it was grey stone and steel with a wide base and a flat top. On the east side Commonwealth flags lined the wall and if one found a high enough point the could see UGR colours fluttering in the west. Natasha tried not to look at the wall as she entered East Bainbridge proper, she had done all she could to maintain the prosperity of this city and the east half of the country. Valcourians passed her with no mind as well as a fair share of her countrymen, the mood in the air wasn't exactly cheery but it wasn't downtrodden either. It was a traditional period after all and it would take a while before the people of East Valcouria would adjust but Nat had faith they would and soon they would come to love the Commonwealth as she did.

This is Bainbridge?,” Chadwick Nalklov said, he hadn't disappeared from Natasha’s sight since the incident with the church. He hadn't shut up either. “I was expecting something more impressive for all the talk they give. Look at this, no towers, no real organization, no wonder the folded like a wet tissue. Have I mentioned how weird these Valcourians look? The old empire banned breeding with non-Chadicians, maybe they had a point.

Natasha ignored him, she really didn't have much of a choice as it didn't seem like a good idea to just start talking to seemingly no one. Although when one had a ghost constantly chattering in their ear it took a lot of metal fortitude to not tell them to shut up every time they opened their mouth. Nat had tried and she only got a sarcastic come back and queer looks from strangers for her trouble.

No statues of me either, did you stop building those? I swear I haven’t seen my handsome face once since we left Chunwall. You need to remind everyone about me you know, they feared me and that's half the reason they fear you. Speaking of which there's no statues of you either! Are you that self-righteous? How’re we even related? I demand a DNA test!

Nat let out a soft sigh as she turned a corner and approached the steps of the imperial palace, there was a tour guide group outside with a hostess explaining some history behind the palace. Natasha tried to listen to her rather then her uncle.

“And over here is where the Fuhrerin Kivuli Alamieyeseigha famously drive her super tank right into the imperial palace…”

Which was hilariously stupid of her,” Chadwick rolled his eyes. “I’ll never understand what you see in that woman. She's as smart as a hammer and as precise as one.

“Now, the palace itself was built in 2011-“

Pfft! 2011! How long has this broken empire been around? Look at this place, no wonder they surrendered you can't defend a mansion like a castle.

Natasha sighed quietly and turned to leave, she began simply wondering the streets at that point. It was clear she wasn't going to be allowed to concentrate on anything today.

D’aw, they’re new flag uses Chadician colours. That lapdog of yours certainly known who's in charge at least, Lord Governor.. Peh, I don't even remember the man's name, plastered smile, generic good-looking man. His hand is your hand eh? Love it.

But the real question is what skeletons did they have in the closet? Oh come on don't tell me it never crossed your mind, sweetheart. You've seen what lies below Chunwall, no city this big doesn't have some dark secret behind the shutters. Juuuuust need to find it.

A small crowd was gathering, Natasha heard raised voices from further down a narrow street and she found herself following them. The flow of people carried her through the close buildings and down some sort steps to a small open square where the crowd had gathered. They didn't seem happy either, as Natasha got a feel of the crowd she could very clearly sense the tension that was in the air. Many were shaking their heads, others were scowling, all of them were Valcourian and took angry stances and it soon became clear why. A man stood on what was quite literally a soapbox above the crowd, he was dressed in black robes with a deep hood and the distinctive hand of Sithis emblazoned his chest. A Void Priest.

He was preaching, or at least attempting to. The angry shouts of the crowd drowned out all attempts to actually get a word in edgewise, Natasha feared that the crowd might turn violent but almost as if on cue several police officers appeared. They asked everyone to go along with their business while one of the officers pulled the Void Priest aside to speak with him. Nat’s curiosity piqued she found herself trailing close by to listen in.

“..a right to preach and say whatever this one might want,” the Void Priest was saying.

“Yes, yes, I know, but people around here aren't used to it yet. You have the right yes but your smart enough to know when you’re causing problems, give it time you can do that yes?” The officer replied.

“…Very well,” the priest relented. “May I go?”

“Carry on.”

The Void Priest walked right by Natasha as they went along with his business. For reasons unknown to her Natasha found herself trailing after the man, she questioned why but never could come up with an answer other then her strange fascination with the priest.

Sithis won't help you any more then that other god did,” Chadwick tittered in Nat’s ear. “Only difference between this one and the other idiots is that he has a blood fetish… Well, probably anyway.

Natasha found herself ignoring him easier then she had in the past as she focused all her attention on trailing the priest. He led her back up the street she entered and northward, what Valcourian’s they crossed gave the priest looks of unwelcome. But as they headed further north they saw more and more Chadician’s present, even the buildings changed to become the more stylized and gothic feel of the Commonwealth. Finally the priest came to what appeared to be his final destination, a smallish buildings of mahogany wood and dark character that looked despite its unimpressive size. The Void Priest entered through the black painted door without a thought but Natasha hesitated outside, she question why she had followed this man and wondered if she should enter. This place was in all probability a House of Sithis, and by that merit all creatures were welcome inside granted they respect the All-Father while within.

It’s not going to run away if you turn your head,” Chadwick quipped dryly.

Natasha rolled her eyes and made the short walk up the stairs and into the building, this would turn out to be a very bad decision. The moment the door closed behind her she felt a presence move towards her from the side, her instincts took over and Nat sidestepped out of the way of the hand that meant to grab her. Behind, she spun again this time throwing up a kick that caught the advancing man full in the face and sent him sprawling to the floor. She elbows the other man whom had initially tried to grab her before delivering a hard knee to his crotch which reduced him to a groaning mess on the floor. Her smoothly drawn knife slashed the throat of the man whom rushed out of the shadows to attack her and it was at this moment Nat realized that all these men were Void Priests. That took her off her guard, when the next man who came towards her she hesitated and that was her undoing. The Void Priest grabbed her from behind and restrained her arms, two more appeared and they grab her legs. The knife was dropped, try as she might with all her strength the priests had unbreakable leverage and hold on Natasha. She was powerless to escape, so rather then waste her energy trying to break free Nat resigned herself to their mercy and would wait the opportune moment.

Three more full robed Void Priests appeared, two carried what appeared to be a large metal basin. Intricately inscribed with ancient languages and the marks of Sithis’s children. The third priest approached Nat and gently caressed her white hair, like one might treat a beautiful flower.

“My Lady, I must apologize for our treatment of you,” the priests said, he sounded genuine. “But this must be, Sithis shall show you why better then we ever can. Remember to breath, Natasha Nalklov. Don't try to keep the Void out.”
The priests brought the basin forward and lowered it onto the floor, they carried Nat to it and without further ado they promptly dunked her head into the ice cold water that filled the basis and held her under with a firm hand. Natasha had done water torture training, she could hold her breath for just over an hour, and yet against all training and instinct she found herself listening to what the priest had said. She breathed.

And I thought I was suicidal,” echoed Chadwick Nalklov’s voice. It was the last thing Nat heard before the Void took her.

Chadicia
Spokesperson

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Chadicia » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:38 pm

This Tower of Ours (A Tale of Two Brothers Part 1)[Part 6]

The cold wind blew through the thick branches like the breath of the gods, it carried with it the bite of the coming winter and it ruffled the furs and leathers that cloaked Ulk of Clan Duban whom was a man of the Cha. He and his clansmen had been sent to the far north in search of new lands for the Cha peoples. The south was their ancestral home but pragmatism outweighed tradition in these times of hardship, for the Va peoples of the west had waged war against them and their chieftains had vowed to erase them from the land. Faced with extinction the chieftains of the Cha had bid their finest warriors – Clan Duban – to travel to the forbidden and accursed north where they knew the Va would not follow.

“Winter comes soon,” grunted Gron, their tracker. He sniffed the air. “The signs are there.”

“The wiseman say that the north is always winter,” added Cor. Their youngest man.

“We are in the north, it is not winter. The wise men are not so wise it seems,” Ulk growled, his eyes scanned around the eerily quiet forest. The trees were tall and evenly spaced with needles instead of leaves. The ground was dark soil and hard as a rock, Ulk sniffed deeply and detected the faint smell of salt. The sea was not too far.

“No caves,” grunted Huncor. “Nights shall be cold, we need shelter and fire.”

“Yes,” Ulk agreed.

“We should turn back,” growled Gron. “The north is dead, full of nothing but demons and shadows. We should turn back.”

“No,” Ulk barked, rounding in the man. “Chieftain have bid us to search, we search. I will not betray my fathers orders. To do so would be to betray clan Duban.”

“And if this search kills us?”

“Then we die. Now follow, we must find somewhere to sleep,” Ulk turned his back but he could feel the anger coming from Gron. He would kill him the next time he questioned things…

The four Men of Duban continued to stalk the woods, it was truly very quiet. Not a bird sounded nor an animal of any kind. Nothing but their own breaths, the wind, and their footfalls accompanied them as they went. Ulk couldn't help but grasp his axe tightly, this place out him on edge although he couldn't say why. There was a darkness, a shadow upon his mind that both frightened him to his core but also instilled a strange sense of fascination. Ulk kept both these feelings off his face, he was Ulk son of Dulk of Clan Duban, he was not afraid.

Cor trailed ahead, towards a dense bush that blocked their path. He pushed the branches aside with his spear and peered down into a small clearing. Ulk saw him stiffen and peer more closely, his body language spoke astonishment and confusion.

“Cor, what do your eyes see?” Ulk called.

“I see… A tree? A white tree, wide and tall with no branches and it reaches into the heavens,” Cor called back uncertainly.

“What,” Ulk glanced up but the trees blocked his vision of the sky completely. There did seem to be a shadow of some sort but it was hard to see. Frowning he lumbered over to where Cor knelt and peered over his shoulder, and indeed he could not comprehend what exactly he was seeing.

It did appear to be a tree, but it was larger then any tree Ulk had ever seen. With a wide perfectly round base that had no roots and a smooth surface that had not the roughness of wood and bark but the smoothness of.. Stone? Yes, white stone made this tree. Ulk slowly looked up and couldn't stop his jaw from going slack as he absorbed the pure staggering height of this strange stone tree. It was as tall as a mountain, it reached up past all the lesser trees and into the sky to touch the clouds.

“Is it a god?” Huncor whispered, the rest had caught up.

“…No,” Ulk said, trying to sound confident. “The gods are not stone trees… I will go closer, I will see what this is. Me, Ulk son of Dulk. You shall all stay here, I will make sure it is safe.”

Taking a breath Ulk stood up, his hand gripping his axe with a death grip as he cautiously stalked down the small hill that he was on into the clearing where the stone tree stood. There was a spot of brown at the base of the white tree, and as Ulk approached he discovered that they were indeed made of wood. Cut into the wood were intricate designs unlike the the markings of the Cha or the Va. All of it was unfamiliar except for what appeared to be the carving of a man’s hand in the centre of the wood. Slowly Ulk put his own hand onto the carved one and pushed, he was surprised when the wood gave way. Splitting cleaning down the centre into two equal halves the two pieces of wood swung inwards to reveal that the stone tree was hollow. Like a cave. It was dark inside, impossibly dark and Ulk had a moment of hesitation before he stole his courage and stepped inside.

It wasn't until the sun began to dip towards the horizon that Ulk emerged from that darkness again. At that point his brethren had crowded around the entrance to the hollow stone tree but none of them had the courage to brave the dark. Ulk came stumbling out of the shadow’s and collapsed almost immediately, he was thinner then he had been when he had entered. His eyes wide and sunken and his face worn. He was shaking.

“Ulk, Ulk!” Huncor shore his violently. “What did your eyes see, brother? What did the stone tree show you?”

“Tower.”

“What?”

“It's a tower,” Ulk said, he looked up and stared into Huncor’s eyes. “I saw… I s-saw..”

“What? What did you see in the… Tower?”

“…Sithis.”

Natasha gasped desperately for air as they pulled her back up by her hair, he coughed and spluttered as the Void Priest peered at her closely before shaking his head.

“Again,” he said.”

“Wait! No-“ they didn't listen, and soon Nat was under again and the darkness consumed her world once again.

Water slowly dripped onto the boys face, he grimaced and cracked open one eye. Sure enough there was a very distinct hole in the roof of their “house.” With “house” being a loose term as it was more of a crumbling apartment that had been condemned long ago and was marked for demolition. Until that day though it was the barely serviceable home of the homeless, ostracized, and shunned alike. With two young brothers being amongst them.

“There's another leak, Hayden,” the boy complained.

“Chadwick, I can't plug every leak. There's only so much corks and they don't always work. Just move to a different spot,” Hayden dryly replied.

“But I'm comfortable here!” Chadwick said, glaring up at the leaky roof.

“…I have no sympathy for you.”

“Neither do I! Shut up kid!” Old Jack wheezed.

“Go pass out in a ditch, you drunk!” Chadwick spat back, he gathered his many patched coats that was his blanket, pillow, and bed in general and he moved the the bundle over to a more dry corner to grab the rest of the sleep that he could.

He was awoken not two hours later by his brother, Hayden was more stocky then his younger brother. Taller and with muscle, he could scare away the other boys with little more than a stare. Chadwick’s talents lay in other field which served his more quick and agile nature.

“C’mon, Boris’ has cooked up some slop for breakfast,” Hayden said, helping his brother up. The two of them made their way down the unstable rotten stairs to the ground floor of the crumbling apartment building where indeed Boris was stirring a rusty pot over a barrel full of fire. Boris was a big man with one arm and scars all over his body, he didn't talk in anything other then grunts. But he was able to turn almost anything into an edible meal… Well, it kept you fed anyway.

“So what's to be then plan today, boys?” Old Jack grinned at them with a mouth full of nothing but the slop he was spooning out of an old bowl.

“Hm, it's market day,” Chadwick commented.

“Fishin’ then?” Jack cackled.

“Fishing,” Hayden confirmed.

Their fishing pond was a wide street towards the south of Chunwall, officially the Market District but more commonly called “Beggars Corner” for self-explanatory reasons. The buildings ranged from the exquisite storefronts and homes of merchants to the stone towers where the city guard patrolled and watched to the shakes of the scum whom worked these streets. The main plaza was a thing of beauty and life, not a kilometre away from the waterfront where ships of all sorts docked and unloaded their goods the market was a place of exotic smells and sounds. It was never quite the same which served the two brothers purposes nicely, new people meant new wallets and new fish to catch.

They worked the market for the better part of the day, racking in some decent haul. Enough to keep them fed and perhaps replace cloths when needed. That was the key, you never took too much lest the law notice you. Today there was a fair amount of noble-types down from the Tower District, and the temptation was great. Chadwick had his eyes on one of these plump birds, a tall man with expertly cut hair and a trimmed beard. His collar was high and a coat of black that reached down past his knees and was lined with gold.

Somewhere in Chadwick’s mind something told him of danger, but against his better judgment he ignored the feeling and went in for the kill. Only to have his wrist grabbed by the man and painfully twisted.

“Thief huh?” The man growled, his angry red eyes inches from Chadwick’s golden ones. The anger faltered for a moment. “How old are yo-“

He was interrupted by Hayden running and barging into the man as hard as he could, catching him off guard and getting him to release Chadwick. Hayden grabbed his brothers hand and made to run but their escape was short lived as the man recovered quickly and grabbed them both by the collars and hauled the boys up as they squirmed and yelled in protest.

”How old are you two?” The man growled. “Where's your parents? Hey! I'm talking to you!”

“We don't have parents,” Hayden hissed. “Now let us go!”

“…boys like you shouldn't be out on the streets… You’re coming with me,” the man tucked the two boys under his arms and carried them both away from the market. Struggling was useless so they both resigned themselves to their fate, the man attracted more then a few stares as he navigated the plaza but no one challenged him. A carriage stood waiting for him, it was finely crafted with two well-groomed horses latched on, it confirmed Chadwick’s suspicions that this man was of noble birth. They felt the carriage shift as the nobleman climbed onto it and they heart the crack of a whip which lead to the carriage lurching forward.

Try as they might the two boys couldn't escape the carriage, so once again the only thing to do was to accept their fate and stare out the windows. As they watched the soaked and poor gave away to the fine and rich, they saw aristocrats strolling past with their noses in the air, soldiers marched past the bayonets on their muskets gleaming in the morning sunlight. They were entering uncharted territory in the massive city of Chunwall, uncharted at least for the two orphan boys being carried there.

After what felt like an hour of travel the carriage stopped and the two boys pressed their faces against the glass to see where they were. They glimpsed only briefly a nondescript wall of fine white marble before the door jerked open and they fell firearms into the ground by this own weight. They had no opportunity to recover before once again they were grabbed and carried, they saw the cobblestones of the ground, heard the nobleman whom was their captor kick open a heavy wooden door and carry them inside the warm building. They saw glimpses of expensive carpets and polished marble floors as they were carried a shirt ways and finally put on their feet.

They stood in a dining room, and everything they looked at was worth three times the amount of Crowns that the two boys had stolen, peddled, or begged in their entire lives. Lavish cabinets full of the finest silverware, display cases showed off artifacts of varying rarity and fortune. Hayden found himself ogling a particularly elegant sword that hung above the fireplace.

“Where are we?” Chadwick asked as the nobleman stood in front of them with his arms crossed. They finally got a good look at him, he was talk with a hard face and a strong jaw line with a thick black beard. His hair was oily black and tied back in a knot, his small beady orange eyes stared at them. He was obviously muscular and was dressed in fine black trousers and a crisp white shirt with an embroidered vest overtop. A black longcoat kept him warm from the chill of the city, there was something familiar in the look but neither boy could put their finger on it.

“This is Czarn Domu, one of the many safe houses of the Black Guard,” the man said. “I am Brandon Nalklov.”

“The… Lord Commander of the Black Guard?” Hayden whispered in awe.

“The same,” Nalklov said, although he didn't seem thrilled about that fact.

“What.. What do you want with us?” Chadwick asked meekly.

“What do I want? To feed you of course,” Brandon said gruffly. “Oi! Sarah! Is the stew ready?”

“Just so, M’lord Nalklov,” a servant girl called from what appeared to be a kitchen attached to the dining room, she pushed the door open with a hip while hefting a tray with several steaming bowls on it. She placed them on the table and curtseyed to Brandon before backing out of the dining room. Jarglov sat down before one of the bowls and promptly began devouring the stew like a hungry wolf, he eyed the boys who, stood frozen in place.

“Well? You must be hungry.”

“You mean… Those are for us?”

“No, they’re for the ghosts. They love pork. But if you’re quick you can eat before they smell it.”

Hayden and Chadwick exchanged a glance before cautiously approaching the table like easily frightened animals. The stew smelt of pork, spice, and vegetables so strongly that it made their mouths water, they abandoned all caution and dug in. Their stews were gone within minutes and they basked in the satisfaction of the first good meal in their lives.

“Am I to assume you boys have no home either?” Brandon asked, as he nursed a mug of coffee.

“We have places to sleep,” Hayden answered, he was still suspicious of this man.

“But no home… Listen to me, you don't want to live your lives on the street do you?” Brandon Nalklov’s hard face looked at them softly. “Boys like you deserve better, what if I could offer you that? A better life?”

“But.. Why? Why would you care?” Chadwick piped in.

“The Night Mother teaches us compassion, I have not been the most righteous man in my lifetime but as the void draws nearer I find myself feeling the need to balance it all out with some good deeds. If not for my soul for my conscience. What I offer is this; a commission in the Black Guard, train, fight for the Empire in service to House Dubanov.”

“We’re orphans, not lordlings,” Hayden scoffed. “Our blood isn't pure enough for your guard.”

“No one needn't know that, and as for your house. The mine, I have no children of my own and I can say that you’re nephews, simple enough,” Brandon looked them over. “Now I know this is a lot to take in, but we need string boys like you in the ‘guard. Recruitment hasn't been what is used to be, too many folk fear us instead of respect us. But we’re not like that I tell you, we do good work and you could too.”

“But..” Hayden started but what interrupted.

“I'm in!” Chadwick said and nudged his brother. “He's in too.”

Fifteen Years Later

The heavy wooden door swung open violently, pushed open by the heavy kick of Chadwick’s boot. He carefully stepped inside with his longsword firmly in both hands he did a quick scan of the room, it was a brothel and a rather high end one at that. Known for its skills girls the establishment was frequented by the nobility of Chunwall including some whom served the emperor himself. The atmosphere was thick and warm with potent perfumes and the smell of sin lacing every breath along with the sickly sweet smell of decay, no living soul was in the usually very busy brothel. That was because they were all dead on the floor, whores and all, rotting away with the flies eating at the scraps.

“It's clear,” Chadwick called, he sheathed his sword and grimaced at the sight of one of the whores body that lay near him. It was cleaved in two with the guts strewn about amongst a pub or of congealed blood. Soft steps graced the doorway and Hayden entered, his gaze was steel and he never missed a detail.

“Look around for him,” he said. “And for signs whomever did this.”

“I think that's fairly obvious,” Chadwick said, moving over to the far end wall where a symbol was painted in the blood of whores and nobles, a hand reaching out with a skull in the palm. “They left a calling card.”

“The cult may be fanatical in their views, but they’ve never killed before. Somethings not right,” Hayden knelt to one of the many noblemen in the room, his throat had been ripped out.

“Maybe they’ve finally gone over the edge? Or maybe this is a splinter group whom feel more strongly then the cult?” Chadwick suggested, running his hand along a blade mark in the wall.

“No, think about it even if that was true why attack a brothel? Nothing in the texts of Sithis does it condemn whoring, I don't see how any voidist could justify this massacre. No, and these are no Tarcadian aristocrats either these are lords of the tower.”

“You think this is political?” Chadwick asked.

“Everything is political in Chunwall, you should know that by now little brother.”

“So someone is using the cults symbol for what? Fear? Or…”

“As a scapegoat. Someone wants to slaughter nobility and pin it on the cult.”

“The Old Wolf won't like this,” Chadwick rolled over a body that lay on its front. “Found him.”

Hayden came over and they examined him. His name was Nickolas Gnarlov and he served at the emperors pleasure, or more accurately at the imperial princesses pleasure. He was her tutor and had missed their teaching lesson that very morning, his chambers had been empty of him and his own servants had pointed them to this very brothel.

“He was the only one they didn't kill instantly,” Hayden said. “Slashes all along the chest, back, legs, arms. His fingernails are pulled out and looks like quite a few teeth, an eye was stabbed and looks like they took an ear.”

“Torture,” Chadwick concluded. “What were they trying to find out? What could a tutor know about the emperor or the goings on at the tower?”

“Nothing, but he did know all about the princess. Her habits, her schedule, her hobbies, everything. They were close I am told.”

“And there's only one reason anyone would want to know that. Assassination, or kidnapping for a very least.”

“That won't end well for them,” Hayden said, standing up. “Emperor Gregory has no mercy for those whom threaten his house.”

“Hayden..” Chadwick said, he instinctually checked over his shoulder. “We need to talk.”

“There's nothing to talk about.”

“You and I both know things have changed. The Emperor… Hayden he's gone mad and we can all see it. Sure, he wasn't a patron saint when we were kids but now? Hayden I've seen children burned at the stake because they didn't bow quick enough. People are afraid and we’re just pawns of that fear, don't tell me you’re content standing by like this?” Chadwick said, looking at his brother pleadingly.
“What I think and feel doesn't matter. We swore an oath, brother,” Hayden’s cold golden eyes met Chadwick’s own concerned ones. “For better or for worse we serve the emperor. The alternative is to be hunted down and hung as traitors. Now, come on we have a duty to warn His Majesty of this plot against his life,” Hayden walked briskly out of the brothel and Chadwick followed with a sigh. Their horses waited patiently outside along with a few of the city guard.

“Is messy in there, fair warning,” Chadwick said to them as he and his brother mounted their steeds and made haste to the Imperial Tower.

The Crown District rose up around them, lavish holdings and rich shops galore. All stood in the shadow of the Imperial Tower which rose high into the air and pierced the clouds like a sword. In the past Chadwick may have looked upon it with pride, patriotism even, but now he felt only foreboding and he couldn't help but hear the name the poor gave it. The Mad Tower.

The two brothers reined up and entered the tower. Naturally the Old Wolf was waiting for them, the years had not been kind to Brandon Nalklov. His once black hair and beard were now white as snow and he had lost an eye in a fight with angry Skandician sea raiders, his mind had remained sharp as the blade his body could no longer wield though and he remained the Lord Commander of the Black Guard.

“Well?” He grunted. “What tales to dead men tell?”

“It was a massacre,” Hayden reported. “They killed everyone, no witnesses. But they tortured the tutor before killing him.”

“Why’d they go and do that?”

“We think they wanted intel on the princess,” Chadwick said. “In all probability, to plan an assassination or a kidnapping.”

“And whom might ‘they’ be? Any sign or tell whom these conspirators are?” The old wolf asked, scratching his beard.

“On the wall there was the hand of Sithis, painted in blood but-”

“It isn't the cult. Someone wanted to pin it on the cult to throw us off, whomever this group is they’re political and they’re planning to make their move tonight,” Hayden said.

“Tonight? Why tonight?” Chadwick asked.

“Think about it, that mess in the brothel was a statement, a threat, they wanted us to be afraid but also confused where the threat is coming from. They wouldn't want to play such a telling card unless they’re ace was just behind it, this way we have less time to consider options or formulate an effective strategy. It's smart.”
“Very smart,” Brandon growled. “Your brother is right. Without time I can't pool the necessary resources, chase leads, or speculate halfway properly. I shall alert His Majesty, you two are charged with protecting Her Grace until we can act more appropriately. Move.”

The brothers nodded and began the long and tiring climb to the top of the Imperial Tower. Many an engineer and proclaimed Mage had come to the tower offering a solution to the climb that could kill the old, from a pulley system to teleportation magic imported from the land of unicorns. The Emperor had turned them all away, stating that “if a man cannot make the climb he is not worthy of my time.” It kept the lords of the tower and the black guardsmen who accompanied them in shape just from going up and down the impossibly tall tower. Eventually Hayden and Chadwick did make it to the top and to the imperial princesses chambers, Cassandra Dubanov, the Flower of the Snow, was quite the coveted bride for foreign kings and prestigious lords alike. Yet, the Emperor wouldn't let a soul touch her and so the Dubanov line was left in question.

“And what is this?” Cassandra asked, standing straight-backed in a dress of sea green that complemented her similarly coloured eyes. Her light brown hair brushed to a shine and put in a braid over her shoulder.

“Your Majesty, begging your pardon,” Chadwick said and he and his brother bowed deeply. “But we have been tasked with your protection until further notice.”

“The tower guard protects me, it is the duty of the Black Guard to seek out enemies of the crown and destroy them is it not?”

“It is Your Grace, but the situation demands that we personally oversee your safety. We have evidence of a plot against your life,” Hayden explained.

“What else is new?” Cassandra said with a roll of her eyes. Chadwick couldn't help but grin a little. “Never the less, I had planned to tour the grand market today and no threat shall stop me.”

“May we suggest against such an action, your grace?” Chadwick asked.

“You may, but I shall ignore your suggestion. Come now, we may talk on the ride there I do so rarely get to hear the fantastical tales of the Black Guard.”

Chadwick and Hayden bowed as the princess passed and followed behind her all the way back down to the base of the tower and out the from where a carriage was waiting along with a detail of tower guard. Big men with red capes over their shoulders, leather jerkins, and large spears and broadswords. The two brothers climbed into the carriage after helping the princess in first and they were on their way. The carriage bumbling along the cobblestone.

“So how did you learn of this plot?” The princess asked, looking out the window.
“It was your tutor, your grace,” Hayden answered. “We found him dead. Tortured, and there's very few reasons for anyone to do such a thing unless they had an ambitious plan in the works. We could be wrong but we believe that it's better to be prepared for the worst.”

“I see.”

They rode in silence until they arrived in the grand market. Chadwick couldn't help but remember the day he decided to rob a nobleman in one such market and his allowed himself a ghost of a smile. They dismounted the carriage and those whom stood nearest bowed low to the princess as they passed. Chadwick and Hayen scanned the crowd and the rooftops, it was too open and too exposed. A quick blade or a well placed musket ball would spell the end of the heir to the empire and that put both of them on edge. For a solid half of an hour though the attack never came and they began to relax but that in itself was their downfall.

It began as a cold chill on the air sweeping in from the sea, a long howling wind stirred their coats and caused a shiver to crawl up their backs. Their breath turned to steam and the air filled with fog so thick they couldn't see properly. Time seemed to slow and shadows whirled around them, with a ring of steel Hayden and Chadwick drew their blades but the foe was darkness. Chadwick saw one such adore pass by him and with a rush of valour he struck out at it, his blade seemed to hit flesh and he pulled back his sword and found it dripping with blood.

It was then that a piercing scream cut through that unnatural fog which seemed to retreat at the sound. The market was revealed back in full view with confused and scared people, the tower guard whom stood stunned, the two Black Guard with Chadwick standing there with a bloodied sword and not a metre away from lay the imperial princess of the Chad Empire, heir to the Tower of the North, the Flower of the Snow, and Daughter of Ice. She was dead. A stab wound through her abdomen.

“Traitor!” One of the tower guards yelled, brandishing his spear.

“Murderer!” Another yelled. Soon the cries became a chorus and the Tower Guard encircled Chadwick as he stood stunned and helpless. He looked to Hayden who stood in a similar state, his disbelieving eyes looking between his younger brother and the corpse of his princess. He moved not a muscle.

“I am a sworn brother of the Black Guard!” Chadwick explained desperately, his sword clattering to the ground. “The blood you see is that of Her Grace’s attacker! You must believe me!”

They didn't, and that was proven by the blow to the back of his head and the darkness that consumed him. When he awoke next he was cold and mostly naked, with only the barest of undergarments and a tattered shirt to cover him. Chadwick’s head pounded painfully and his ankles stuck from the heavy metal manacles that bound them.

“No..” He whispered to himself. “I.. Didn't do it… Did I?”

He hadn't been a able to see and he had heard the princess scream right after he struck something. Could he have.. No, no no!

Oh, my dear Chadwick…” A smooth voice echoed from the blackness of the jail.

“W-Who’s there?” Chadwick's eyes scanned the solid darkness and alighted upon a… Figure. It was a shadow but blacker then any Chadwick had seen before, it wasn't like there was a man there blocking what little light there was, no. It was if there was simply a lack of light or really anything in a spot that happened to be shaped like a talk medium build man. Chadwick couldn't make out his face and no glint was reflected from where his eyes were supposed to be. The jail was much much colder all of a sudden.

What a sad hand fate has dealt you,” he continued, his voice smooth and almost comforting. “the beloved princess and everyone thinks you’re the killer… But we know what really happened don't we?”

The man walked with silent footsteps out of sight but the next thing Chadwick knew his voice was at his side and he form sat next to him. He started in fear and leaned away as the figure spoke.

You don't want to end your life to the sound of idiots cheering as your head hits the muk do you? Let's see if we can do… better,” the man waved his hand and Chadwick felt his shackles loosen and the cell door creak open. “Father believes in justice, and so does the man who awaits you outside. He was visited by my brother and he shall help you in the days to come.”

“F-Father…” Chadwick repeated, watching as the figure stood up and strolled out of the cell. “Y-you mean… And y-you’re…”

I am the winds of change and the arbiter of fate, good luck Chadwick Nalklov. We shall meet again soon. What is dead may never die.

Chadwick blinked and the figure was gone. Unsteadily he stood up and indeed found himself free of his shackles, he sneaked his way to the far end of the jail where the door was and peered through the keyhole. No guards to speak of and when Chadwick tested the knob her found the door unlocked. Making haste he rushed through the guards quarters and out into the cold Chunwall air, the city was dark say for the candles that burned through closed drapes, the stars, and the moon that illuminated the silent titan of Chunwall Tower not a hundred meters away.

Chadwick ducked into the nearest ally and leaned against the stone to catch his breath and let his heart calm itself. However, it seemed that this night was to be the night of mysterious figures in the darkness for another one walked into the moonlight and stuck out a hand that held a pipe full of tobacco.

“You smoke?” The man asked, he was tall and handsome. With a strong jaw, intense red eyes, a well kept but still wild head of dark brown hair and a short beard. He was dressed like a well-off homeless man, with mix-matched boots, muddied trousers, a soiled shirt and vest, and a tattered and patched brown longcoat overtop. He popped the smoking pipe in his mouth and lit it with a match he produced from inside his coat.

“Who are you?” Chadwick asked wearily, remembering what the figure has said about a man that was to help him.

“Nicolai Valklov,” the man answered, puffing on his pipe.

“…the communist.”

“Not technically,” Valklov mused. “My ideology differs in many ways from the traditional teachings of communism. I'm much more friendly towards the church for example, I don't think that the state should control everything, but I do sympathize with the general idea of toppling regimes that are stuck in the past.”

“And… Why’re you here?”

“Why am I here? The better question is why are you here, Chadwick Nalklov? Oh yes I know of you. I also know you didn't kill the princess, I know because it was my men that did it. I also know that Nalklov isn't your name, I know that the Old Wolf doesn't have any nephews and that you and your brother are not of noble blood at all.”

“H-how do you know this?”

“How did you escape your prison?” Valklov looked sideways at him while puffing on his pipe. “Powerful forces guide us, comrade. They have put us on a long but rewarding path.”

“And where does this path lead?” Chadwick asked.

“Where else?” Nikolai said and pointed with the mouthpiece of his pipe to the talk and ever coveted Chunwall Tower. “To the top of that tower. Now, tell me Nalklov. Would you continue to serve an emperor whom crushes the good people of this country every day? Who dares to live so large and leave so little for those who need it? Who betrayed his loyal servant in favour of paranoia? A storm is coming my friend, and I'm offering you a way to be a part of it and not stand in its way.”

“So what do you say? Ready to make history?”

“…What would you have be do?”

Twenty Years Later

It had been a long road.

Supporters had been gathered, the angry rumblings of revolution given ear and made manifest. Chadwick has spent his time using his skills as a Black Guard to strike from the shadows at their enemies. Valklov would whisper the name of some powerful lord or outspoken aristocrat and they would die within a week. The tinderbox that was the Empire was just ready to burst into flames, nobles were scared of the poor and nit the only way around but in turn Gregory the Mad decreed even harsher punishments to traitors and deviants. And so and so it went building and building like the tension on a bow string being pulled back, and it was only a matter of time before one of two things happened: the strong snapped or the arrow was let loose.

Chadwick hadn't been in Chunwall for the better part of a decade and yet the city seemed unchanged, a stalwart and unmovable object against the unstoppable force that was time. Large ships still dragged monolithic whales onto shore to be cut and butchered for meat and oil, merchants still peddled their wares down at the market, and the Darkwater District was still flooded with at least an inch of water on even the driest of days. Chunwall was an ancient beast that had stood for an age, and it was there task that day to light the fire in the cave and face the beast in an open field.

Their comrades were poised to strike across the empire, at every major city and at key military bases as well. Three million strong, maybe more and armed as well due to careful raiding of supply depots and military stockpiled the majority of them were armed with muskets, swords, spears, cannons, and smaller weapons galore and those without them were determined to fight bare knuckle if they had to. Over the course of months they had slipped into the cities in pairs of two, they blended into the populace, some found jobs, others posed as beggars and from there they planned and planned. Who would go where, how they would take that building in particular, did we have a man on the inside? And most importantly. How would they take the tower? In the last month of the year, on the winter solstice, as the cold creeped in from the north and Chunwall braced for a long winter they awoke on what was known as Christmas to the christians not to the gentle falling of snow but to fire, smoke, chants of freedom, and the thunder of weapons as all become anarchy.

It began at dawn.

Chadwick and Nicolai stood in an old apartment building that their group was occupying. It lay on the edge of the imperial square where in the centre was the tall and foreboding Grey Tower.in the apartments four hundred of the several thousand men whom would take Chunwall prepared for the fight of their lives. Soldiers they were not, but a man willing to die for his freedom was worth a thousand soldiers bought by coin alone.

“It's nearly time,” Chadwick said, looking at the brightening horizon. “You going to give a speech?”

“Why don't… You do it?” Valklov said with a grin. “I've made enough speeches, I'm not a warrior and today is a day for warriors. Address your men, and then it shall begin.”

“In you’re sure…” Chadwick said and left his friend to stare at Chunwall Tower, a strange expression on his face that looks almost like… Desire. But he ignored it and gathered the men outside behind and around the apartment building they were in, he didn't fear anyone seeing them. The time for hiding was long past.

“…Who am I?” He asked them. “Who are you? Who are any of us? We have names, yes but do they matter? Are they sung by bards or screamed by climaxing women? No, to the people of the city and to the rich high above we are shadows, we are ghosts, but today they shall all learn that ghosts are very much real. For today you will not have a name, you will nit be the poor, the desperate, or the accursed men you are looked to be no. Now, you become something much much more… you become this country, you become Chadicia, yes that was the true name of this nation before it was branded an empire. I am Chadicia, we are Chadicia.”

Chadwick looked to the nearest man and pointed at him. “Who are you?”

“…Chadicia.”

“Louder!”

“Chadicia!”

Louder! Who are you?!

Chadicia!

He pointed to another man “Who are you?!

Chadicia!”

“WHO ARE YOU?!”

“CHADICIA!”

“WHO. ARE. WE?!”

“CHADICIA!”

“WHO ARE WE?!”
“CHADICIA!”

“WHO ARE WE?!”

“CHADICIA!”

WHO ARE WE?!”

“CHADICIA!”

“WHAT IS DEAD MAY NEVER DIE!
” Chadwick called, slamming his first into his chest plate rapidly.

WHAT IS DEAD MAY NEVER DIE!”

UUUURAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!

Dawn broke and all the fury of the north was unleashed.

In a great mangled horde they charged towards the tower’s front entrance, two guards stood on it flanks and they uselessly fired their muskets into the crowd but were quickly riddled with return fire. They crashed through the doors and overwhelmed the men inside before beginning the long and bloody climb to the top of Chunwall Tower..

At the top of Chunwall Tower

Hayden stood still and tried not to catch the emperors eye as he visibly shook with rage. Emperor Gregory of House Dubanov was old, with long white hair, a white beard, and wide unblinking ruby red eyes that constantly moved and twitched with the madness that tortured his very existence.

“Vile, base-born, sub-Human's. How can they breach my tower?”

“Their numbers are great, your Majesty,” Hayden said in a hollow voice.

“They want my throne, they want my empire do they… T-they can't have it, no no, yes, you! Black Guardsmen!” Gregory looked at him and a stretched smile creased across his wrinkled face. “A secret passage is in my chambers, it shall lead you below the tower and to a large cellar full of barrels. They’re full of gunpowder and are linked to hundreds of others all beneath the city..”

“You want me to..”

“I want you to burn them all, this is my final command as Emperor,” Gregory sat back in his throne as a breathy laugh escaped him. “If I cannot have this country. No one can..”

“…As you wish, Your Majesty,” Hayden said and he gripped his sword hilt.

Chadwick knocked the door to the throne room with a sure kick and they rushed in, Valklov following close behind but they halted in their tracks when they saw. On the throne sat not the emperor but Hayden Nalklov whom stared at the ground with his head in his hands, and a meter in front of him laying in the floor was Gregory the Mad, his eyes wide open but devoid of life and Hayden’s sword sticking out of his chest.

“Brother…” Chadwick said before rushing forward, Hayden met him halfway and they embraced warmly. Hayden seemed on the verge of tears which shook Chadwick to his core, his brother never got emotional.

“He wanted to destroy the entire city.. Burn it,” he said quietly. “I couldn't let him.. I couldn't… I'm a traitor..”

“You’re a hero,” Valklov said, placing a hand on Hayden’s shoulder as he slowly climbed the steps up to the throne and stared at with wide eyes.

“…He wasn't the last,” Nicolai said.

“What?” Chadwick asked.

“The emperor, Gregory, he wasn't the last of the Dubanov line..” Nicolai looked at Chadwick with obsessed eyes. “He has relatives, we’ll never be safe until every last one of them is dead.”

“Nick..” Chadwick said gently, releasing his brother and approachingBing Valklov. “The only Dubanov’s left is one estranged sister and her bastard son who hasn’t seen a third winter.”

“What did I just say? Do you really want them alive? Spawning more? No, they die so I have said it so it shall be.”

“I won't let it happen, Nick,” Chadwick said defiantly. “You’re better then this.”

“You would stand in my way!?” Valklov snapped. “After all this time?! I will not have dissent in my ranks, you served the emperor my friend. You know the punishment for treason is death!”

Valklov rushed forward and pulled the sword out of the emperors chest and used it to swing haphazardly at his oldest friend. Chadwick blade ringed free of its scare bard to block the blow and before he knew it his reflexes took over and countered the strike to imbed his blade in Nicolai Valklov’s chest.

“Oh Sithis what have I done…” Chadwick let go of the sword and watched as Nicolai toppled over and bled out.

“They’ll hang us both for this,” Hayden stated. “Unless…”

“Unless what?!” Chadwick demanded. “How could we possibly convince them this is anything much treason and murder?”

“…We don't,” Hayden said. “It was me, I killed him. In defence of the emperor.”

“But-“

“And in turn you killed me, and you wanted to bury my body privately,” Hayden said. “I shall cease to exist. And you… You will rule.”

“…me?” Chadwick asked helplessly. “I'm… I’m not a leader, Hayden.”

“That wasn't Valklov I saw lead an army to battle, that was you. Besides, I hardly see anyone else suitable at the moment, and scoundrels we are I don't think it's a good idea to leave the governance of a nation to the will of the masses just yet. Things are too unstable for that now, we need a strong and absolute grip on the nation until we can be sure it won't tear itself apart.”

“...you’re right,” Chadwick admitted. “Will… Will I ever see you again?”

“Oh, I'll return, every good leader needs a better spymaster after all,” Hayden shared one of his rare smiles. “Smile, people love that. It's only uphill from here I promise….”

The scene faded away and was replaced by darkness before Natasha’s head was pulled up once again as she choked and spluttered. Her head pounded from lack of air and she felt weak, her eyelids as heavy as bricks.

“She has seen as much as she can for now,’ the Void Priest said. “She must complete the trials before continuing…”

And following a very unfortunate trend, Natasha blacked out.

Chadicia
Spokesperson

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Chadicia » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:51 pm

This Tower of Ours [Part 7]

The ground was soft and warm, with short lush gras tickling Natasha’s skin along with a gentle breeze with stirred her hair. She opened her eyes and stared up at the violet colour sky that was dotted with stars and galaxies unfamiliar to her eyes and knowledge of astrology, slowly Nat sat up and discovered she sat in the middle of a meadow of sorts, lush grass, tall healthy trees bearing ripe fruit, and flowers of every type surrounded her in every direction. It was warm and comforting and despite the unfamiliar locale Natasha found herself completely at peace and comfortable. She wore a thin wispy white dress with a low neckline that reached down just past her knees and nothing else, even her feet were bare bug Natasha didn't mind as the grass acted like carpet to her feet as she stood up and began to stroll meaninglessly further into the garden.

It was when Nat turned her corner that her eyes lighted upon the most beautiful woman she had ever seen in her life. She sat upon a throne of silks, drapes, garments, and bones with five small skulls in her lap. She had smooth onyx skin and an oval shaped face that was crowned with long raven-black hair, her lips were black as night with perfectly white teeth just barely shown behind them, and her eyes were like two polished red rubies which stared right through Natasha’s dress. The woman wore a red dress that matched her eyes and fit her slim figure perfectly, weak willed for beautiful women like she was Natasha stood blindsided staring up at the woman.

“My dear child, you've come so far,” the woman said, she stood up and the skulls in her lap rattled to the ground with soft noises. The woman glided over to Nat, towering over the smaller girl by half a meter. Just high enough that when she drew Natasha in for a hug Nat’s head laid almost perfectly on her chest which made her face flush with heat as the strange otherworldly woman stroked Nat’s silver hair. “You’re more beautiful then I imagined.”

She laid a kiss atop Nat’s head, then she leaned down and planted another on her forehead, then on her cheek and then kneeling down the woman licked her lips and kissed Natasha on the mouth passionately. She pulled back with a satisfied grin on her lips as Natasha’s heart fluttered and she tried to gather her thoughts.

“W-who are you?” Nat asked, seemed like the thing to ask the woman that she wanted to shag for hours without end.

“Hmm,” the woman hummed, almost seductively so. “Lilith, Lilitu, Yuki-Onna, Áine, Agrat-bat-mahlaht, Pan Jinlian, Min, Kama, Ashtaroth, Venus, Aphrodite, I could go on but you would most know me as The Night Mother.”

“My… My lady…” Natasha said in awe, she felt the need to bow, to kneel, but she could only feel the tingle of the Night Mother’s lips on her own which she was reminded of as the mother kissed her again. Longer this time.

“Oh my dear Natasha…” The Night Mother said. “Come.”

Natasha was gently led my the hand to her feet, the Night Mother lifted her arm and Natasha found herself twirling. The Night Mother snaked her arm around Nat’s waist and Natasha reached just barely up to grasp the mothers shoulder. The danced slowly in a small circle, their eyes staying locked with each other's the entire time as Natasha lost all conceit of time and forgot anything but the woman holding her close.

“Dearest Natasha,” the mother said purred. “Tell me, have you ever danced with a demon in the pale moonlight?”

“Not until now,” Natasha softly replied as she was lowered to the ground on her back and the Night Mother laid next to her and held her in her arms.

“I have brought you here to tell you of the path that lays ahead. The ones who keep you, dutiful servants of the father they mean well but their hands are rough with such a beautiful gem… They want to help you my dear, you will serve a purpose that we have set out for you and when all is done and the years wane I shall bring you here once more and you shall be rewarded for eternity.”

“But… What am I to do?” Natasha asked.

“Don't fret my child. I'll be watching with great interest. Go now and make your mother proud…”

Natasha woke up in a soft bed, feeling warm but also lonely all of a sudden as the presence of the Night Mother faded. Although, the promise of seeing her again manifested as a warm promise inside of her. It made her smile and feel less afraid.

She sat up and pulled the sift covers off of her, the cloths she had been wearing was gone and replaced by a thin nightdress. Her room was small and cozy with the soft bed, a coffee table with a plate of fresh bacon, eggs, potato wedges, and a mug of what smelt like Tryiennian brew coffee. Nat’s stomach growled at the smell of fresh food and she dug in without question, looking around the rest of her small room as she ate. On one wall there hung a Chadician flag that fluttered gently in the breeze created by an air vent just below it, on the other wall was a large stylized watercolour painting of a younger looking Chunwall. Tower, high walls, flags of the old empire, it was a beautiful piece and Nat definitely wanted it for her office.

Just as she was finishing her well-cooked breakfast and nursing her coffee there was a knock at the wooden door to her room. She called the visiter in and a Void Priest stepped in, well, priestess, her hood was down and her brown hair was in a bun. Brown eyes and a subtle hook to the nose, Nat had spent enough time in Israel to tell by sight.

“You’re a Jew,” she said dumbly.
“And you’re a Chadician,” the priestess quipped with a raised eyebrow. “A pleasure to meet you, my lady. I've come to collect you, but first you should get dressed first. There's fresh cloths in the drawer there.”

Nat opened the drawer and indeed there was a pair of heavy black trousers, black boots, a collared white top, and a warm coat the tail of which would reach down to her knees. Natasha was just slipping a strap of her nightgown off when she looked back at the priestess who raised her eyebrows.

"From what I've heard you aren't the shy type,” she said.

"I'm not, but usually when I undress in front of a beautiful woman I know I won't have any regrets soon,” Nat said back with a soft smile.

“Not today, my lady,” the priestess said almost sadly. “Business before pleasure.”

“Oh well,” Natasha said with a mock sigh as she turned back around. “You can't win them all.”

She dressed quickly and followed the priestess out into the long dark halls of the church, she pulled up her hood and led Nat back into the main hall where the front door was. The priestess gestured to it.

“Only three blocks from here stands a Catholic Church,” she said. “Ever since the children of the Void moved to these lands we have been often harassed by Christians are their ilk. Recently this has come to a head and an artifact has been stolen from us.”

“Well that's a movie plot if I've ever heard one,” Nat quipped. “What artifact? And why do you need it? And why are you telling me this?”

“We want it back, you’re the most readily available candidate for the job. Not everyone receives training from the best spy agency on the planet.”

“And how do you know I won't just run away?” Nat asked.

“You won't, I have faith.”

“Of course you do.”

East Bainbridge

It was somewhere between a church and a cathedral, tall and beautifully designed with intricate stain glass windows. Natasha sighed, the Valcourians had always been a more artistic people then her own, she made a mental note to draft a bill for cultural funding of some sort. There needed to be more Chadician artists. Next to the church was several nondescript apartment flats, conveniently there was a fire escape directly to the roof. Gotta love those public safety regulations.

Nat jogged up the metal stairs and too the apartment rooftop wherein she ran into a very prevalent problem. The distance between the roof she was on and the window ledge she was aiming for was at least five meters, maybe six which wasn't a distance to sneeze at.

“It's been a while since I've done this sort of thing…” Natasha mused to herself. “Should've listed to Kosei when she said I was gaining weight…. I'm talking to myself again.”

Nat sighed and ran her hand through her hair before stretching out her legs and backing up to give herself room. She rubbed her hands together and took a couple deep breaths, trying not to think about how largely stupid this idea was.

“I would appreciate no undue trickery right now, Sithis,” Nat muttered.

“Don’t worry, sweetheart,” Chadwick Nalklov said, waving his cane in front of Nat whom didn't even bother commenting on his sudden appearance. “I’ll jump with you, I'm sure my bad leg can take it.”

Nat rolled her eyes and broke out in a run, launching herself forward at the last moment to then reach out and grasp the ledge wherein she wasted no momentum pulling herself up. Behind her could be hear a whoop and a cheer before a bone cracking crunch from below, Nat glanced down and saw Chadwick Nalklov’s broken body splattered on the pavement, blood everywhere, and the cracked head laughing like a maniac. Natasha moved on through the window, conveniently there were support beams connected to tall pillars that she could climb on and avoid sight. Once she began though she noticed her uncle leaning against one of said pillars..

“Hey, there’ll be no witnesses if all who witness you are dead. Just thought I'd mention that,” he said with a smile.

The church was mercifully empty, so after finding a convenient latter (this church appeared to be built for the convenience of intruders.) Nat found herself on the floor of the church, she looked around and found only the usual pews, altar, and confession booths.

“Now if I was an artifact of the void cult where would I hide?” Natasha asked herself.

“Me, I would hide myself in the casket of someone. So you’d have to dig through bones to get to me.”

“Nice.”

It was only after a half decent amount of searching they found that the altar had a small secret compartment behind it. And with the press of a button and a push of the slab on top they found what they were looking for.

It was a cane.

“What do you know,” Chadwick picked up the cane and twirled it with a huge grin on his face. “I’ve been looking for this”

Natasha’s head spun, all of reality blurred and faded but Chadwick Nalklov stood casually with a big smile as everything crumbled around them. There was no church, no East Bainbridge, suddenly they were standing at the base of Chunwall Tower. Yet, there was no Chunwall to accompany it, no city, nothing but an endless dead world of dust and emptiness, the sun was blocked by thick dark could and the wind howled everywhere.

“Where are we?” Natasha asked.

“Does it matter?” Chadwick answered. “The world around it may shift, empires ride and fall, but this tower remains. This could be the past, it could be the future. All I know is this tower, and it's all you know too don't you see? You thought your salvation lay beyond its walls but you were mislead. It was built for us, for those who have the spirit to rule it. Father is waiting.”

“Father is waiting,” Natasha repeated and she watched as the doors to the tower opened to reveal a familiar glaive of trees, flowers, and beauty. When she stepped inside she suddenly wearing the most beautiful of white dresses and her uncle wore the finest of suits and appeared young and healthy. His skin glowed, his eyes were unlined and free of the mad look, even his smile was normalized, he offered an arm and Natasha accepted it without question.

Further into the garden was a long table with a whole party sitting at it. Nat immediately recognized the Night Mother whom smiled at her, the mother sat just right of the head spot of the table wherein an empty tall backed chair sat with a black drape over it. To the Night Mother’s right was an empty seat which Nat was guided to, Chadwick sat across of her. Next to him and across from the Night Mother was a young man, no older then twenty, with sharp bone structure in his face, short black hair, and eyes of pure darkness that stared at her.

“Hello, Natasha Nalklov,” The Outsider greeted, Chadwick winked at her.

Next to her uncle sat another woman, she was pretty but off putting. Her hair was long and wild and her dress hung in tatters. The Dark Mistress didn't acknowledge Natasha at all, only stared at the table with a sad look and gave occasional glanced to the empty chair at the head of the table. To Nat’s immediate left sat a skeleton, he was in medieval garb with a chestplate, cape, tunic and all, a rusted golden crown atop of his skull.

“M’lady,” The Sundered King said.

Finally next to the Mistress sat a soldier, his plate armour was scratched and dinged from May battles. His face was hidden behind a masked plumed helmet and he turned a bloody dagger around in his hands while maintaining focus of Nat. The Lost Legionary grunted but said not a word to the newest arrival.

“Ignore them, they’re just jealous,” The Night Mother assured her.

Without warning there was food on the table, and without much transition of events Natasha and her family were suddenly eating in relative silence. There was the juiciest meats, most flavourful wines, and so on, and yet as much as Natasha seemed to eat her stomach was never full.

“I have to ask,” Nat spoke up after a while, and gestured to the empty head chair. “Who sits there?”

“That is something most curious about your kind, my dear,” the Outsider answered. “You all seem to worship the same corpse.”

When Natasha woke up she was once again standing in the shadow of Chunwall Tower, yet this time the hustle and bustle of Chunwall surrounded it. She was wearing her usual official clothing, sword and all, as if she had only just stepped outside for a moment. Checking a local public broadcast display she saw that parliament was currently in session, and that the date indeed confirmed that she had been away for a considerable amount of time. Natasha took a moment to think, but she couldn't comprehend all that had happened in one go. So, she simply headed to the parliament building.

When she entered, and honestly this was expected, the entire place was in relative anarchy. Shouting was nonstop and there was quite a few cuss words tossed in as well, accents of Chadician, English, and others came in full force and decided the sides and through it all Nat was sure Wrocklowski desperately tried to regain control.

When Natasha Nalklov stepped into the atrium there was dead silence, all that was heard was Nat’s footsteps and she took the spot in the centre. Reserved for the person meant to be speaking and she looked around, her eyes hovered over to the Circle whom sat dumbfounded. Except Checklov whom was napping.

“Is this being broadcasted?” Natasha asked her High Overseer.

“Um..” Elena stuttered, she never stuttered, and fumbled to press a button on her CommsCuff. “It is now.”

“I am healthier now then I ever was,” Natasha addressed the spot where she new the camera would focus in on her face and broadcast her image and voice to every corner of the globe. “And so is the Commonwealth, we celebrate now it's most peaceful times as the world slowly moves into a new era. What shall mark this era I wonder, a time of everlasting peace one cooperation or shall we as sentient beings be pulled into yet another works conflict. It is not in my ability to know and not within my power to control, all I can do is promise that I work tirelessly to keep you and your family safe. Not just Commonwealth citizens but every Just person on this planet, and while my mind may faulted and I may have my own personal doubts my conviction shall never fail. I am your saviour, and I promise you prosperity, I shall reverse the wrongs within the borders of this Commonwealth and strive to correct the ones that lay outside of my direct influence.”

“Too long have we been demonized and too much have we demonized others. Clashing ideologies are meaningless in the face of potential greater cooperation, for I care not who you or where you come from I care only that you have the love of the world in your heart. This is what my Commonwealth stands for and what it shall always stand for, and for those whom oppose such ideals I have nothing but sympathy for you. I hope we can still find ground to stand upon as equals.”

“It is because of this that I officially affirm my support of High Overseer Wrocklowski’s reforms, and I shall be adding my signature with due diligence. Similarly, and this shall be sent through the C.O.I.D, I announce the Diplomatic Reaffirmation and Reparation Act which includes the following changes: All states considered hostile are reset to neutral by default at this time. For too long we stared across the way at people whom should be are close allies and friends, I shall change this for the better for I have no desire to engage in any amount of conflict with anyone. The only war I declare from now on is a war against hatred, and a war against war itself. We must adopt a peacekeeping mandate for our military operations and a diplomacy before diplomat policy in all things. All this shall be instituted into a full bill at a later date.”

"Finally, as a closing announcement to this brief address I would like to announce..” Nat glanced back at the napping Checklov, she didn't really need confirmation as she already somehow knows. “The birth of my daughter, the child of both myself and Empress Kosei of Yasuragi, the love of my life. On this day, the fifth of November, Rosaline Nalklov is born. I cannot fully express the joy I feel knowing that I am creating a better world for the daughter I now have. Thank you. What Is Dead May Never Die.”
Last edited by Chadicia on Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chadicia
Spokesperson

Mother Knows Best State

Postby Chadicia » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:08 pm

OOC: Thought this song paired well with this

https://youtu.be/w3QW8PVyyNM

IC:

This Tower of Ours (The End)

Chunwall burned.

Both literally and metaphorically, protestors and rioters filled the streets screaming and yelling in the name of different causes, different leaders, and different gods. Fires had erupted in the industrial sector and one could only hope it would be contained before it reached any volatile materials.

You know, this city always looked better when it was in complete anarchy.”

Natasha Nalklov heaved a sigh but ultimately didn't acknowledge her spectral tormentor, despite all the steps she had taken the hallucination remained and thus she was greeted by the laughing face of Chadwick Nalklov the Mad from dawn until dusk every single day.

Gosh, I haven’t seen this much destruction since.. Well since the last time there was an uprising against our house, which was orchestrated by you if I’m remembering correctly

“This is not an uprising,” Natasha said, she didn't sound confident.

You tell yourself that sweetheart, but I know this country, fire in the streets, enemies at the gate, today's the day,” Chadwick chuckled. “I gotta ask, how does it feel to fail utterly? To have your vision of a peaceful world swept away in thundering applause to bigotry and hatred? You turned a superpower into a joke without a punchline, you proud sweetheart? Because I find the whole thing hilarious.”

The emotion did hit Natasha then, her eyes moistening as she was forced to accept the full reality of Chadwick’s words. As she listened to screams, the chanting, the smell of fire and ash, oh Outsider…

“Mother?”

“Rosaline,” Natasha said in surprise, she quickly dashed away the tears before turning to look st her daughter. “You should go back inside, little flower, you don't need to see all this.”

“This one is where the Lord will her to be,” Rosaline said as she stepped onto the balcony with her mother. “Quite the mess, isn't it?”

“It is,” Natasha agreed, a bit taken aback by the surrealness of the conversation. “But this one can fix it, she can, the Commonwealth will survive we always do.”

“We do indeed,” Rosaline said, she looked sad. “It's just… Mother, this cannot be fixed… Not by you that is…” The usually well-spoken and confident Rosaline was at a loss for her words. “You've tried, you've done your best, and this one respects you for that, but the reality is mother is that you’re past the point of usefulness, you've brought us this far but… Your time is up, this one should've done this sooner but she thought maybe you could salvage this… She's done lying to herself.”

“Rosaline?” Natasha asked. “What are you saying?”

“That I'm sorry, I truly am.”

Maybe it was because Natasha was distracted, maybe it was because she hadn't seen combat in nearly thirty years, or maybe it was because Rosaline was just that fast. Whatever it was Natasha didn't react when Rosaline’s arm shot forward and grabbed the hilt of the sword at Nat’s side, with one fluid motion Rosaline pulled the blade free and then there was a moment, perhaps hesitation, but in that moment there was just enough time for Rosaline to look her mother straight in the eye before stabbing her through the chest.

Natasha’s eyes widened as the blade pierced her chest and cane out the other side, blood leaking into her cloths and staining them red. The blade was pulled back, dripping with the blood of House Nalklov, Natasha stumbled back clutching at her chest and struggling for breath until she hit the edge of the balcony.

And she fell.

She fell so long and so fast.

And in the chaos that was the birth of a new age, no one notices the white raven falling from the sky.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents