NATION

PASSWORD

Lindisfarne falls to spacefarers. (FT, Intro)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Lindisfarne falls to spacefarers. (FT, Intro)

Postby Prometheus V » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:00 am

On the vidscreen, a skinny, middle aged woman in a cream business suit held a few papers before her, glancing down at them occasionally to supplement her news casting. Behind her, a city of picturesque breath-takingness was shown, resplendent in towers made of gold and glass, aircars zipping by at their operators behest. Clearing her throat in the pause between one topic and the other, the anchorwoman took on a mournful expression.

"Early this cycle, the monestary-station Lindisfarne two of the neighboring Alba system fell to what appear to be a group of nomadic space Vikings. The station of several thousand peaceful Catholic monks and supplicants was badly damaged, with nearly all of it's inhabitants being killed or taken hostage. No demands were made by the offenders, and they struck the nearly defenseless community without warning. It's only defenses, a 'bubble' shield and a small contingent of Orbital Police, were quickly decimated by overwhelming force. According to what recordings could be reclaimed from the station, the raiders used an assortment of starcraft and weaponry..."

Floating by her left ear, a freezeframe containing the blurred but clearly visible outline of a large, glowing white ship, teardropped in shape, the various bays and observation decks clearly visible past what appeared to be tacked on weapon arrays and other structures. At least one was actually a much smaller ship that appeared to have crashed into it.

"Authorities believe this to be their flagship, though it's maker's are still unknown."

More pictures, each craft cruder, though not necessarily less functional or lethal looking than the first, flashed through the small space. Continuing after a brief pause, the woman continued.

"As some of you can see, several of these ships are recognizable as Planetary and System Defense ships that have recently gone missing in several nearby star systems. We can only assume that the attack on Lindisfarne was not the first, or the last."

Clicking the gigantic vidscreen off, Drake Bahnakson turned to the unusually quiet Feasting Hall. Before him was a gigantic area in the belly of Baldir's Chariot, the enormous teardrop-shaped ship that had just been shown. It's insides had been massively redecorated; the scientific and archaelogical... things had been sold or given away where the Prometheans could get rid of them easily enough, and the already large Secondary Hold had been expanded by removing the bulkhead between it and the Tertiary Hold.

Now, the Feasting Hall was a paradise for everyone in the Fleet who could sneak, buy or barter their way in. Thousands of men and women sat or stood, guzzling beer and scarfing food from row upon row of long metal tables that reached from one end of the hall to the other. Many of the more recently battered warriors lay in the laps of those softer patrons, allowing themselves to be fawned upon and tended to by smiling damsels in revealing clothes. Grudgingly, of course. Tending or tended, drinking or eating, every person in that hold wore a weapon at their belt, holstered under their arms, or sheather across their backs.

Everything from Damascene broadswords to Arcilite pulse rifles could be found, and their bearers moved and spoke like they weren't even there. Even as they snatched at some goblet or tasty morsel, the jubilant crowds made no more movements to check their weapons than a lesser person would make sure of their hands or feet.

Now, everyone was sitting up and taking notice, silent and watchful, staring at the giant on the stage. Drake Bahnakson was big enough to wrestle trolls for fun, more than seven feet tall and muscled like the Thunder God himself, with several long blonde braids hanging from his head in the style most in that hall favored. When Lord Drake spoke, people listened, whether out of fear, or respect. Now, he did so, brushing casually at the light shrapnel wounds on his face.

"Apparently we gave our friends down there a show. They're all rather impressed by our ships and weapons, our ways and warriors." Several people laughed, and more joined them. Grinning with them, Bahnakson continued over them, and his audience settled down. "We've split the spoils from those Monotheist's treasure trove. We got a few new weapons from their boyscouts, but most importantly, we got most of their stations. We're towing it now, and even as I'm speaking to you all, my brothers and sisters, we're growing stronger from it." Switching the screen behind him back on, a split view of five different external cameras showed people in EVA suits and vehicles patching the hull, smoothly and expertly sealing and bulding onto their hull. Other ships drifted past the views, dragging their own cargoes and clouds of thralls swarming over their hulls.

"Good work, warriors. You've done us all proud. Rememer, though. This was only the beginning. Now that we're out of the Sea, there's a whole galaxy, ripe for plunder and trade." The screen flicked off once more, and Lord Drake Bahnakson, Master of Longships, stepped down from his vantage point to join his suddenly cheering, bellowing community. Warriors thronged forward to compare scars, offer tankards in toast, and boast of their recent achievements. As they did, other's leaped forward onto the stage, for now it was open once again, and the bouts, readings, songs and dance could begin once more.

Many requests came from the crowd, revelers yelling for Tyr or Korpiklaani to be played. Several men took position with drums and guitar, keyboard and bass, striking up a growling and fierce melody, with many mournful notes thrown into the mix. In another corner, men and women were dancing wildly to a drinking song about little men who knew how to party. In the expanse of the Feasting Hall, it was each to their own, and plenty for all.
Last edited by Prometheus V on Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Ctan
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Re: Lindisfarne falls to spacefarers. (FT, Intro)

Postby The Ctan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:57 pm

“Now here are curious historical parallels.

This year came dreadful forewarnings over the land of the Northumbrians, terrifying the people most woefully: these were immense sheets of light rushing through the air, and whirlwinds, and fiery, dragons flying across the firmament. These tremendous tokens were soon followed by a great famine: and not long after, on the sixth day before the ides of January in the same year, the harrowing inroads of heathen men made lamentable havoc in the church of God in Holy-island, by rapine and slaughter.

The voice had a sound of terrible, echoing doom, and Anárion frowned, “What was that?”

“The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle. For the year ‘of our lord’ 793,” the voice said.

“And what are the parallels you spoke of?”

A screen appeared hovering in mid-air. Upon which the newscaster appeared.

“Holy Island, Lindisfarne. But in this case, it’s a space station. And space Vikings no less.”

“Interesting. Do we know anything about them?”

The starship’s AI answered, “Either way, the ‘vikings’ or their victims, the answer is no. There’s a drone in the victims’ system, but they’ve never reached our notice before now.”

“So, you want to do something about it?”

“For now, I’m sending a request to see what aid they need.”

To: Alba, System Government
Subject: Recent Raids

Greetings,

Firstly, I would like to express my condolences on your recent loss. I have been observing your news-casts, and would like to offer my services. I am able to provide substantial humanitarian and surgical aid if required, and military assistance against further raids. I understand that, with no prior contact between our peoples, you have reason to be cautious. However, we will remain in this area for some time, and should you require assistance in dealing with future attacks, we shall assist you as best we can.

Honorary Captain Anárion, INS Erisavenus

OOC: Apologies about the brevity of my post, interesting first post though. Welcome to Nationstates.
Last edited by The Ctan on Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The Necrons were amongst the first beings to come into existance, and have sworn that they will rule over the living." - Still surprisingly accurate!
"Be you anywhere from Progress Level 5 or 6 and barely space-competent, all the way up to the current record of PL-20 for beings like the C’Tan..." Lord General Superior Rai’a Sirisi, Xenohumanity
"Many races and faiths have considered themselves to be a threat to the Necrons, but their worlds and their cultures are now little more than interesting archaeology."
Want to get in touch? Direct Discord Link

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:28 pm

To: Imperial Necrontyr Ship Erisavenus
Re: Recent Raids.

While the people of Alba and myself are grateful for your offers of medical aid, they are unnecessary, as our facilities are quite adequate to aid the distressingly few survivors. However, your offer of military aid is accepted on the terms that your ship or ships will not have direct control over any port or craft belonging to the System Governance Commitee or it's subsidiaries. With this understanding in mind, we will be happy to welcome your forces to the system.

Now, let me apprise you of our situation. This was not the first attack on our system, but it is the only one to come so close to one of planets. All attacks before Lindisfarne were on outlying mining colonies or unarmed merchant ships, and never in such force. What we believed to be a handful of converted freighters and pirate skiffs turned out to be a well trained and powerful star fleet. Still, dur to their lack of uniform or discipline, we have no reason to believe that these people are military. As stated in the newscasts, there was no warning or demands made before the attack.

It should be noted that there are three settled planets in this system, including Alba I, the Commitee's seat of power, as well as Alba II and III. I and II are fully terraformed and settled as the centers of the system's population, while Alba III is in the process of being made suitable for habitation by civilians. This is where the majority of our naval shipyards, such as they are, reside. Most of our navy consists of armed merchantmen and a few outdated warships that were bought at auction. Several ships were boarded and captured by the pirates, so things are even worse than before they arrived.

As you can see, things are grim for us with an entire starfleet of hostiles combing our outlying stations and asteroid mines for resources. From what our experts have ascertained from the pictures taken during the attack, these people convert or amalgamate the ships they craft into their own fleet. They have no apparent need for supplies other than ship building materials, since very little was taken from the monasteries stores.

That is all the information we have, use it as you will.

God speed to you, Erisavenus and thank you once more.
Last edited by Prometheus V on Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:02 pm

By and large most people would say the Dyellians were a timid, insular people. They generally feared outsiders and tended to shoot first, ask questions later. However, if they felt they were allied with someone useful they tended to wreak untold havoc for fun and profit.

HMSS Albatross

The pride of the Dyellian fleet, or something like that. At least that was what Captain Warrington had been told when he'd set off, experimental stealth technology and all that. Would let them spy on the aliens without the aliens noticing them...

They had sat at a safe distance, watching the attack. It was all very interesting. Were these Space Vikings or something?

"I don't like this." Geoffrey Albertus was the chief Engineer, "We're already exceeding recommended cloaking time by like three days, the thing is overheating."

Warrington waved him away distractedly, stroking her chin pensively, "We need to make sure these buggers don't show up in our outer systems. So I need to follow exactly where they plan to go next. Hell the Outer Systems are already just about in revolt. Have you seen that jerry rigged cargo ship they're calling Liberty? Bloody thing has enough guns on it to take on a Battleship."

"Which is lovely." Albertus brought her back to the task at hand, "But my stealth generator is about to..."

There was a sudden buzzing, flickering of the lights and a shudder that caused the Captain to stumble, catching onto a computer. Albertus managed to hold his balance slightly better, "... make that just has exploded." he finished.

"Damn those Ministry of Defence cutbacks. Do you think they've seen us?" the Captain asked wildly.

"We're 600 metres long." Albertus growled, he was tall for a Djel, nearly six foot, and now he towered over his Captain, she was far too bloody young, "Of course they've -ing seen us, Ma'am."

The Captain swore, flicking a button on the intercom, "Action stations! Action stations! This is not a drill! Drop your ****s and grab your socks!"

She flicked the button again, rounding on Albertus, "How long till you can jump us?"

"No idea." he replied, his tone suddenly a lot more polite, "I'll go down and assess the damage, I'll report back ASAP. Ma'am" Dyelling ships were notoriously informal, but he was still aware that his earlier comment constituted a breakdown of order. She hadn't said anything, but adding the odd 'Ma'am' probably helped keep her from hauling him in front of a disciplinary board.

"Good." she waved him away, "Fingers crossed we'll look tough enough that they might think about talking first."

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:41 pm

Shipmaster Cotter stood on his bridge, looking around at the sudden alarm of his command crew. Having a target just pop up on their scanners was more than a little disconcerting, and one had to wonder why they had dropped their cloak right behind the fleet. Turning to face the Master of Swords, Cotter spoke firmly above the buzz of noise that went through the small room.

"Swordsman Faust, inform Lord Drake that we have a situation that requires his attention. Also tell him that I would appreciate his abstaining from plundering the target before giving them a chance to parley." Nodding, the tall, armored men moved away, steel shod feet clanging on the deck. Returning his attention to his command, Cotter gave the order for the fleet to turn about for boarding action, then opened a comlink to the ship.

Since the message was audio and video, so the captain put a stern expression on his weathered, though relatively unscarred, features, smoothing his grey uniform down and resettleing his peaked cap before recording and sending it off.

"Unidentified ship, this is Captain Heinrich Cotter, of the carrier Baldir's Chariot. You are within the control sphere of the Promethean Warhost, and your cloaking device is an act of hostility. Lower your shields and prepare to be boarded, and no harm will come to you. If you resist, your vessel will be disabled and assimilated, your crew killed or taken captive to become thralls. The choice is yours. I advise you to take the former option, as you are massively outmatched and outgunned in all respects. I await your response."

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:07 pm

The woman who appeared on the screen was for all intents and purposes human, young, with jet black hair. It was tied up to fit under a cap, although the cap had fallen off when the cloaking device had exploded. She wore a field grey uniform with a high black collar and matching belt, "I am Captain Alice Warrington of the HMSS Albatross."

She was obviously nervous, a bead of sweat working its way down from her hairline, although her dark eyes held a grim resolve, "We are a survey vessel of the Royal Dyellian Space Navy."

Which was a pretty bloody obvious lie from the number of guns on the ship (128 smallish laser cannons and a further 4 rail guns, the barrels of which were each a good 200 metres in length). The thing looked like a stick grenade bristling with weapons.

On the other side of the screen a petty officer signaled from out of the field of view of the Dyellian camera, the only sign that Cotter would notice was a flicker of the Dyellian Captain's eyes, "I'm afraid you have us at something of a disadvantage, you may come aboard under a banner of peace."

She leaned forward pressing a button on the console, freezing the feed from the Dyellian ship, "How long will it take him?"

"He says at least a day." the petty officer called back.

"Tell the marines to suit up, if it comes to it we'll give them a fight to remember. Glorious warfare and all that."

"Aye aye." the petty officer saluted, going back to his communications. Warrington released the button, resuming the live feed.

"I am sorry Captain Cotter." she continued smoothly, "Minor transmission issue, was there anything else?"

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 am

Cotter's jaw worked as the transmission froze, and his expression showed he was clearly unimpressed with the feeble excuses made by Warrington. When the screen refocused and the transmission continued, Cotter frowned at her nervous expression.

"Only this, Captain. I will repeat myself and tell you that any resistance will result in you and your crews death, or worse. Also take note that we do not bind ourselves to any laws or conventions but our own, and officers who fail in battle recieve the same fate as their subordinates. If you choose to stand against us, you will fall, whether to the guns of our ships or our warriors. Bear this in mind."

He closed the comlink and sat down in his command chair, taking his cap off and scratching his head ruefully. Pressing one of the buttons on the wide arm of his chair, he spoke into the small microphone set in the headrest.

"Lord Drake, I have reason to believe this vessel is military in design, do not underestimate your opponents."

Answering with a slight hiss of static, Drake Bahnakson called him from the Wolfship assault craft he had boarded in preparation for the mission. It was a long, sleek craft of grey steel, armed to the teeth with everything from a single, hull-mounted railgun to lasers, to a large ramming prow that also served as a boarding device. It was one of many designed by the Shipmasters of the Fleet, and it was certainly no barge with holes drilled in it for weapon bays.

"I hear and obey, Shipmaster Cotter. We will take all due caution. Do we have your permission to take to the stars?" That was a throwback to the old days of Prometheus, when men had asked their lords if they could 'take to the seas', or later, 'the skies'. It filled Cotter with the same pride it always did, and he straightened in his chair as he responded.

"Courage and the fleet go with you, my Lord. Take to the stars." As he spoke, he nodded to the members of the command crew responsible for the launching of ship, and he felt rather than heard the bay doors come open, spilling forth their most important cargo. Fifty wolfships dropped or flew out of the embarkation decks that lined the hull of Baldir's Chariot, forming up five ships to a squadron. Each held thirty bloodthirsty men and women, every one armed with the best weapons and armor to be found in a culture where the greatest warriors had first pick. Every one was a survivor of countless battles, in space or on land.

Cotter wondered if the Captain of the Albatross knew what was coming. Or what her face would be like when she saw the ships.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:13 pm

Dyellians had their own conventions. The Captain never surrendered the ship and usually opted to go down with it rather than abandon. It was regarded as the polite thing to do. The Albatross was special though, and were she to hand it and its technology over without a fight she would probably be court martialled for cowardice and taken in front of a firing squad.

"Wonder how many borders each of those little boats carries." Sergeant Agarson mused, "We have 372 troops onboard, only 42 of whom are marines, I suspect they total more than us."

"Whats that about one marine is worth ten enemies?" Warrington asked, she had calmed down somewhat since the broadcast and was now strapping on a combat helmet. It resembled, if anything, a 'Italic G' of antiquity but with a screen that came down over the eyes.

"One Utang marine is worth ten enemies." the Sergeant responded, "Apart from me we have four others."

Agarson was just over seven feet tall, encased in powered armour and sporting a SSAM14 machine gun in one hand and what looked like a giant meat cleaver in the other. He had also painted big red teeth on the fully enclosed helmet. It was strictly against regulation, but Warrington had never dared to confront the creature about it.

"Just remind me that you're clear on things." she prompted him, he was technically only the 2ic of the Marine detachment, but 2nd Lieutenant Carpenter would be on the bridge to coordinate.

"The Engine compartment makes up the rear third of the ship. Hold at all costs along with the main corridoor to the bridge." the Sergeant sounded bored, but Warrington didn't want him going rogue, "No killing unless they act hostile, otherwise you talk to them and try to negotiate a way out. But we still barricade all the side corridoors to the outer sections in case those funny boats try to rip in through the hull rather than going down the docking arm."

Dyellian ships were a novel design, made to allow the same ship to alter its weapons layout easily and without fuss. The core of the ship, shaped like a tube and housing all the essential functions was completely encased by eight weapons modules which also acted as storage bays. The bridge was right in the middle of all this and relied on cameras and other sensors on the outer modules to relay information back. The rear third of the ship was the engine bay, another separate compartment, isolated by a 6 foot titanium composite blast shield with a huge rolling door that was kept shut, usually, although now it was open. A secondary engine system was crammed on the front of the ship, usually it was just used to decelerate and manouvre the ship, although in an emergency it could take over from the main system. Barring the central compartment the others could be compressed and decompressed at the flick of a button.

"Good enough." Warrington had heard the bit about no killing unless they act hostile, that was the important bit, "How do I look?"

She did a twirl for the Utang. She had some kind of armour that stretched from the waist to the neck and down to just below the elbow stretched over her uniform. It was matching grey and looked to be made out of rubber, although it would go rock hard if hit by anything, "Stunning Djel, stunning, although you're too little for my tastes."

Warrington laughed with inappropriately cheerfullness, "If it all goes horribly wrong I'll see you on the other side big fella, now, shall we go and meet some aliens?"

It would seem logical the aliens would approach the docking arm first. It would lead straight to the central section, although only one of the little ships would be able to dock at once. The crew had barricaded the end of the passage, although Warrington hoped they wouldn't need to try to hold it. Hopefully she would be able to talk her way out...

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Aboard the leading Wolfship, closest to the docking area, Lord Drake was examining his troops as they felt the craft decelerate. His massive form strode up and down the narrow troop bay settled between the cockpit and engine compartment. Dressed in dark green power armor with a golden-yellow trim, his helmet was settled under one arm, rifle slung across his back and axe attached to a holder made for that purpose above his vacant seat. His expressionless eyes wandered over the blank faces of his helmeted companions, each wearing the same green and gold as himself, the colors of his Hall. These were his personal Guardians, twenty men and nineteen women who would fight and die in his service and under his command. Their weapons were either hung above their heads or settled across their knees, everything from plasma grenades to projectile rifles, swords, axes, hammers... the list went on and on. Each wore suits of armor similar to their commander's, bulky and heavy with ceramite plating, adding nearly a foot to every warrior wearing one. Their faces were closed off from the world, presenting only an angular faceplate with two glowing blue openings to see out of. Looking between them all, Drake spoke quietly, though his voice rang through the confined space.

"Alright, Guardians. I know some of you are thinking this is going to be another easy hit. In and out and we take the ship and all she has to offer. We're the best fighting force these soft-hearted pacifists have ever faced, so we should sweep over them without a problem. No one can beat us at our own game, so this won't be an problem, right?" Murmurs of agreement, distorted by their speaker systems, though most were expecting his next words. Rounding on those who'd agreed with his words, Drake raised his voice slightly. 'Wrong. This is not a combat mission. We are not boarding an enemy craft. This is not a 'shoot everyone and take their stuff' mission. We are here to find out why someone felt the need to sneak up on us in the middle of space.

"If they are hostile, then we kill them, but not before. If I hear a safety click off before I give the word, I'll know the reason why, PDQ. Listening to the combead in his ear for a moment, he slid his helmet on, sealing it before continuing. "Onboard in thirty seconds, Guardians. Be ready." Detaching his hammer, he stepped toward the bay door, listening to the hiss of air as the boarding craft sealed itself to the airlock and waited for it to compress. "Let's see what kind of welcoming party they've got for us. Expect a fight, but don't start one if you can help it. We're not barbarians, after all." That earned several laughs and a few snickers from his troops at their private joke, and then the airlock doors slid open.

((Wanted to let you post whatever welcome you may have, that's why I cut it off there.))

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:06 pm

The docking bay led into a seemingly deserted coridoor that bypassed the outer layers of the ship going straight to the central core. The far end had been mostly barricaded by wheel mounted ballistic shields. Someone had mounted what looked like a flamethrower (but giving off an odd blueish glow) on top of the central shield. It could probably send a scorching blast right down the coridoor and into the other ship. Anyone caught in the coridoor when that went off would have nowhere to hide, "It's alright, we 'ent gonna roast you." a deep voice boomed out. They probably thought they sounded reassuring, but there was an edge to the voice that suggested rampant pyromania bubbling just below the surface...

"Captain wants to see whoever is in charge." the voice called again, "The rest of you can stay back."

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:23 am

This was immediately responded to with the tramping of eighty metal boots as Drake and his retinue stepped forward in unison. Their armor and formation made it unclear as to who was in charge, since the moved in a mob with no apparent center or focus. They appeared entirely at thier ease, weapons slung over their shoulders. They kept their heads swiveling however, though their visors made it impossible to see where their eyes were. Ambling up the corridor at an easy pace, they seemed to get around to meeting the captain, rather than actually going to do that. Then, from somewhere off in the right side of the group, Drake stepped forward, waving his Guardians off. Speaking towards the barricades, he called out in a mocking, almost cheerful tone that was strange coming from his bass notes, made even weirder by the distortion of his closed helmet.

"Who amongst who calls themself Captain? And if any of you lay claim to such an honorable title, why do you cower behind your little shields?" His tone made it evident he didn't think much of their defenses, and just for show, he flicked his helm-lights on and pretended to scan the emplaced weapons gunner. "And little guns, too, I might add. Come out of there, we don't bite, Captain." Turning back to his entourage, he blinked a small light on his helmet twice, and immediately there were some hellish sounding chuckles from the gathered warriors. Looking back to the barricades, he tapped his foot, which rang metal on metal. "My patience wears thin, sir. Exit yonder metal curtain."

TRIAD Enterprises
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Apr 02, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TRIAD Enterprises » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:59 am

Of late TRIAD Enterprises was attempting to expand it's commercial influence and it's extra-national interests in the larger galactic community. To spearhead this effort, waves of Exploratory Fleet ships had been sent out in every direction, given broad orders to search for and contact as many nations as possible. Where advisable, the Diplomatic Corps officers assigned to each of these TEEF vessels was given instructions and authority to begin initial negotations in the interests of increasing TRIAD's profits. Several times this has included the authorization of military investments for later concessions or compensation to TRIAD. This is the record of one such incident.

****************************************************************************************************
AG-7492 Star System (Ten Parsecs from Alba System) - TEEF Survey Frigate "Joy of Discovery"
****************************************************************************************************

The frigate "Joy of Discovery", of the TRIAD Enterprises Exploratory Fleet was currently surveying the AG-7492 star system, yet another dead system with negligable resources, not worth Investment. Unlike some of the other frigates sent out by TRIAD, the Joy of Discovery had had rather good luck in it's tour, contacting three seperate stellar nations and arranging trade, as well as locating two uninhabited systems which were rich enough to warrant full Investment. In fact Sarah Helios, the Gaian captain of the Joy of Discovery was quite pleased with how things were going. Her XO however, a Tejhiik named Velkesh, was a cynic who took any opportunity to point out that rarely did the universe permit such good luck to last for long, and they were long overdue for some bad news.

#Captain, I am receiving new data which you may wish to review.# The ship's digital entity shipmind, Tantalus, resolved it's avatar in the main holotank.

Sarah canted her head slightly and pulled down the induction headband in preparation of diving into the ship's dataspace, "What do you have Tantalus?"

Tantalus' avatar vanished, replaced by sensor data and comms frequencies. #I recieved a hyperspace communication two minutes ago. Language is quite similar to those in use by many terran human nations.#

The message recording was an internal communications for some HeraDyne LTD, advising all it's interstellar shipping pilots to avoid the Alba system until further notice. The communique explained that this system was experiencing extreme levels of pirate or raider activity, and that local and foreign shipping had been targeted. The raiders were described as numerous and very well equipped, while their tactics suggested a lack of military discipline, perhaps even mercenary soldiers for some backwater warlord.

"Good job Tantalus, you've just proven Velkesh right. That system is only one and a half parsecs from here." Sarah grumbled to herself; now she owed Velkesh Two hundred credits. "Alright, send a databurst back to regional command and request instructions. Somehow I have a feeling they're going to be interested, and personally I hope it's just to tell us to steer clear."

Alba System - Edge of System (2 Light-hours from Alba III)

Not only was the cynical Velkesh right about good luck not lasting, but the rebound in luck got even better. Regional command had given the Joy of Discovery orders to transit to the Alba system, but that they were to contact the local government and offer commercial or military assistance.
The Joy of Discovery had just exited Slipstream on the outskirts of the system, launching a good quarter of her two thousand sensor drone compliment as soon as she oriented herself from the Slipstream transition. The tiny, one meter wide spheroids spread out over a wider and wider area, gathering as much data as possible using only passive sensors. This data was passed to non-transmission, ansible-like, faster-than-light comms relays to the Joy of Discovery herself, allowing the frigate to use a loophole in the physics of light-lagged sensors.
The Joy of Discovery itself went as dark as possible immediately after launching drones, shutting down all but basic systems to minimize her EM and thermal emission profile. She'd still stick out like a candle in a dark room, but at least that candle might be mistaken for a comet or sensor ghost. Thus relying on her drones to see, the Joy of Discovery drifted in space trying to get a good look at what was out there in the Alba system.

((OOC Note: Going to get involved directly eventually, but wanted to just do a quick scene-setting post for now. Feel free to stumble upon the Joy or her drones if you wish.))

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:25 am

"I'll give you little gun you smug piece of..."

"Sergeant!" this was a female voice, recognisable as Warrington if Drake had heard her exchange from earlier.

There was a scraping as the shields were drawn back. The barrier seemed to be being held by troops in powered armour, although the front half of the helmets seemed to be of some kind of transparent material which couldn't have offered quite as much protection as the rest... all except for the seven foot monster with the machine gun. His face was entirely covered in metal, a large breathing apparatus dominated the front of the mask, with tinted eye slits above it. He, or someone else had rather crudely painted red teeth across the bottom.

He made the slender Captain Warrington, who at 5 foot was small even for a Djel, look minute, "I am the Captain." she announced, "Alice Warrington, Half Post Captain of her Majesty's Navy."

Unlike the marines she was wearing a much lighter armour, some kind of grey rubber like material that covered her from neck to waist to just below the elbows. The rest of her uniform seemed to be of the black jackboot school of uniform design... apart from the helmet which appeared much like a classic 'Italic G', although the bar across the forhead housed the battlefield computer, "I won't lie and say you are welcome on the ship, however I have, I think, a potential solution to our little problem."

She smiled, it did not reach her eyes, "Would you like to step through to my office?" she asked, "You have my word of safe conduct."

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:53 am

Drake removed his helmet, tucking it under his right arm to reveal his braided copper hair and greyish skin. "I am Hammerlord Drake Bahnakson, Master of Wolfships. Which is to say I am commander of my own squadron of assault craft and soldiers. These," he gestured at the men and women idling behind him, "are my... personal bodguards, so to speak. They will either remain with the ship or follow me at their lesiure." Looking back at them, he made an querying expression. Three men and two women stepped forward while the rest moved back toward the docking bay. Returning his attention to the relatively small gathering before him, he made an enigmatic movement with his hand, waving in a vague, non-specific manner. "Pardon the distraction. Lead on, please." As he spoke, he glanced around indifferently at the ship, his face showing that he didn't think much about what he saw.

-------------

Elsewhere in the system, a flight of five Wolfships was scouting out the edges of the system, searching for likely merchantman jumpoints and outlying mining colonies to raid. They flew in Lamba formation, and the point ship bristled with scanning equipment and communications arrays. On board, ten men idled in the troop bay, reading or fiddling with their weapons, while two women sat in the cockpit, one paying attention to the controls while the other stared into a view screen, making small adjustments on the keyboard in front of her every now and then.

The cockpit was designed to the pilot sat nearly in the nose of the craft, with avery good few in almost every direction. Behind and somewhat above her, what was usually the gunner's seat was now mostly refitted with the monitoring equipment needed to make otriding missions like this one profitable. Mostly they were boring, but you never really knew what might happen. Without taking her eyes off her own job, Thalia Porter spoke to her companion in genial, somewhat bored tone.

"Anythin' yet, Vera? I wanna be back at the Chariot in time for chow." Vera just shook her head, short panytail flapping slightly, then answered to the negative. After a few more minutes, she adjusted a dial on her screen, he eyes focusing. "Got something. Slipspace-type disruption, just a little ways out, here. Flicking a calculation into the cartographer at lightning speed, she set the destination. "That's it." Glancing at the blinking red dot on her holographic map, Thalia nodded. "We can be there in a couple of hours, once we pick up the rest of the squadron. Bring 'em in, Vee, let's go huntin'."

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:49 am

The Captain cocked her head on one side, her eyes narrowing slightly, "Actually perhaps we can talk here."

"Now you're probably thinking we're going to hand this ship over because we're afraid of death, slavery, whatever... were we to do that of course and were we to actually ever make it back to Dyellian space the officers would be looking at the firing squad, while every other jack would be looking at dishonourable discharge." she actually smiled, there was some fire in her at last, "So no, you and your fancy brigade may look pretty, but you aren't going to convince us to neglect our duties to the Motherland. We have faced worse than you, believe me."

"And if you're thinking you can just kill us and grab this ship or whatever else is onboard, we'll you're probably right, but I can promise you that you'll lose lives and I'll leave this machine in worse than useless condition. I will do my duty to the State." she declared.

"Like I mentioned before though, I have an offer for you." she continued, coming down off her moral high horse for a moment, "We'll follow your warleader for 30 days. We'll give him fifty percent of whatever loot we take and at the end of it we can bugger off home again and you can go on pillaging the 'verse for fun and profit."

"Take it or leave it." she shrugged, looking like she was planning to retreat behind the shields again, "Its a good day to die either way."

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:12 pm

Taken completely aback by this offer, Drake stared at Warrington for several seconds before shaking himself. "Weeell. That's a very different proposition now, isn't it? The fleet'll take on any ship or crew that joins us, but I'm not so sure we want you with us. You've got a terribly undisciplined bunch of spacers here, and as for the officers..." He turned his head and looked askance at the Captain, crossing his arms of over his chest after hooking his helmet to a weapon harness at his side. He appraised her for a short while, then spoke, his voice was calm and quiet, without any of the wry amusement it had held earlier.

"I've yet to see any but you, and so I'm getting a real nasty first impression. You assume too much. You assumed, first of all, that we're here to take your ship. You assumed that you would ever go home, rather than living the rest of your life in servitude. You also assumed that we care one way or the other. Finally, and most annoyingly, you assumed that you've seen more fighting in death in your time than I have. I've no idea, but your ship is very pretty. I didn't see much damage to the hull on my way in, so it's wondering I am what kind of war you've fought? I'm not here to compare battle scars, though we can do that later if you want. I'm here to establish why in the name of all that's safe and sane you were following a warfleet with one, little ship. So, either you're a pirate answering the call after goin' rogue from yor mlitary, or you're one of the craziest people I've ever met. Those are the first two that spring to mind, so enlighten me."

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:46 pm

"I make no such assumptions Hammerlord." Warrington seemed to be playing coy, glancing up from under the rim of her helmet, the corner of her mouth twitching involuntarily, "Although perhaps I have assumed some kind of competence on your part... you know, the kind where you don't throw soldiers lives away for no gain."

"You may have noticed the ship is modular. A tug and a crew of engineers can detach the outer sections and put new ones on giving you a good as new destroyer in 48 Outremere hours... although you're assuming I saw action in space and not planetside... and straight after such a firm lecture about the danger of assumptions." she shook her head in mock dismay.

The truth was that Warrington was only a recent transfer to the Navy, she was a complete novice, and knew it. Her psych evaluation had indicated someone who would be idea for this mission, which was why a junior corvette commander had found herself in charge of a frigate. She knew how to talk though, to deal with unruly humans, and the more she spoke, the more confident she felt, "The parameters of this mission are classified."

"However." she added, "I can tell you it was exploratory. You just happened to be in an area that we were exploring. I deemed it expedient to note which direction your fleet headed in order to report back to High Command as to whether you were a potential threat to Dyellian outer worlds."

Warrington shrugged, "I haven't gone rogue, so I'd say one of the craziest people you've ever met."

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:28 pm

Twisting his mouth into an impressed smile, Drake arched his eyebrows at Warrington, nodding carefully. When he spoke, his tone was serious, questioning. Almost speculative, really.

"Forty eight hours, you say? Hmm. That assumes that our assault craft, of which there are hundreds, allow your engineers to proceed with operations unharmed. It also assumes that the fleet of ships only a few minutes away couldn't blow your ship to slag in less than an hour. As to throwing warriors away needlessly, war is it's own reason. We are not scientists, or philosophers, Captain. Or culture revolves around two centuries of blood and death, the first ten of which saw the death of four billion people and our homeworld. Do not underestimate or willingness or ability to fight and die."

All the while he spoke, the whites of his eyes had slowly begun changing to grey, then black, his tone becoming more and more enraged. He appeared about to go on, then closed his eyes, teeth gritted and fists clenched with a grate of metal on metal. One of the women stepped forward, and was quickly joined by two other soldiers, all taking hold of their commander. They had an air of businesslike indifference, offset by the nervous cant of their heads as they watched their leader carefully. After a moment, he straightened, breathing out carefully. He opened his eyes, still with a slight tint of black around the iris, and the three Guardians retreated slightly.

"Pardon me, Captain. We suffer a condition, we few Prometheans." Taking his helmet from his belt, he settled it on his head, sealing it as he spoke, once again distorted. "Your choice is simple. You sign your ship to the fleet, or you die. This negotiation is over." He started to turn, then paused. As though by an effort of will, he faced Warrington. Speaking as though through a clenched jaw, he said, "Unless you have someting to add?"

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:48 am

The iris colour change seemed to have a very bad effect on the Captain, who took a step back, clutching at her sidearm, although she regained composure as the others grabbed hold of Drake.

"I have quite a bit to add actually." she supplied, opting to make a few petty snipes at her opponent (who had quite misunderstood her comment on modular design), before continuing, "Firstly I would like to point out that we're not in a naval port and don't have any spare modules anyway. Perhaps you occasionally disengage your weapon systems while in combat and remove the armour from your ship? Generally we Dyellians view that as a bad idea, it tends to mean that we get shot up and can't return fire. Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that you enjoy dying so much."

"You haven't commented on my proposed splitting of loot so I'm assuming that is alright... or on my proposal of a thirty day term." she contined, moving onto the things she actually needed to discuss, "Also, what is this condition? If I am to be working with you I think it would be best if I knew if you were going to suddenly snap and view me as a lovely source of protein half way through a conversation."

"And for the record... if I had decided not to join up, I would have had you and your entourage roasted with the Hall Cannon. It would have been a beautiful moment."

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:11 am

All traces of mockery and amusement were gone from Drake's face, though the officer wouldn't be able to see that through his visor. Therefore, he attempted to pt as much coldness and hostility into his quiet, controlled tones as possible. "Captain Warrington, I believe you to be a fool. You know you are outgunned. You know that if you start a fight you will not possibly be able to win. To kill us would mean that your cannon would kill forty soldiers in a single strike, which I am unsure of either way. But if you did, I can assure you; You would not live out the day. In any case, the fleet does not readily accept fools or unwilling captains. You have repeatedly made references to attempting to kill me and my Guardians, and yor ship is practically useless.

"The reason I have not discussed the splitting of loot or a term of service is that both are ridiculous. Whatever plunder you take is yours, but you wont get very far without the trading for supplies that goes on between ships. A term of service is pointless, since under our laws you may come and go as you please from the fleet, under your own power. I have established that you would be a hinderance to us, if not a threat. Therefore, you are not welcome in our ranks. Good day to you, Captain." Turning on his heel, Drake marched back towards the ship, his Guardians swiftly forming up in orderly lines behind him. His pace was slow and steady, as though he expected Warrington to stop him, giving her an opportunity to.

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:55 pm

Warrington cocked her head on one side, looking a little puzzled. The human was intollerably dense in her opinion, but he had considerable firepower and his retreat probably meant he was planning to turn it on her ship. For half a second she weighed up retreating behind the barricade and turning on the cannon (a modified Hall-effect thruster), but instead noted the slow walk, the bugger was posturing, she still had a chance to work things out.

"Hold one moment if you please." the mockery had faded from her voice as she took a couple of quick steps to catch up, "You don't know me, you don't understand my motives. Neither do I know you. You don't respect me as a Dyellian Captain, I don't respect you as a Hammerlord... I don't even know what that means."

"When a Dyellian man of war captures a vessel and tows her into port the Admiralty takes a fifty percent cut of whatever loot was onboard and gives the Captain and crew fifty percent of the worth of the vessel in prize money." she explained, "When a Dyellian Lord or Lady calls his or her retainers together for a military campaign they owe 30 days service, no more, no less. As a Dyellian I assume these factors exist."

She lowered her voice very slightly then. It was still audible, but would not carry back to the shield wall, "You think I'm a fool, I think you're a fool for thinking it. We have a 'device' on this ship. It is valuable to us. I am not an experienced Captain, but I am willing to kill myself and every crew member onboard to ensure that no alien gets access to it. That is why I am here and not some weathered old void gazer."

"We Dyellians are a proud people. Proud to a fault perhaps. You insult me, I insult you back." she sighed, touching her helmet subconsciously, "If you turn around now and make some sneery remark, I'll give you a creative description of your parentage. It isn't logical, its Dyellian. Then you and your buddies will slaughter me, so the guys at the end of the coridoor will turn on the cannon and make everything crispy, bang, bang, bang and within a few minutes everyone is dead, but we die being people we can live with being; staunch to the end against odds uncounted, weapon in hand and faces to the foe."

"I talk too much don't I? What I'm trying to say is there isn't any need for us to be foes. Can we try this again? Please." the please was almost dragged out.

TRIAD Enterprises
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby TRIAD Enterprises » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:39 pm

Prometheus V wrote:Elsewhere in the system, a flight of five Wolfships was scouting out the edges of the system, searching for likely merchantman jumpoints and outlying mining colonies to raid. They flew in Lamba formation, and the point ship bristled with scanning equipment and communications arrays. On board, ten men idled in the troop bay, reading or fiddling with their weapons, while two women sat in the cockpit, one paying attention to the controls while the other stared into a view screen, making small adjustments on the keyboard in front of her every now and then.

The cockpit was designed to the pilot sat nearly in the nose of the craft, with avery good few in almost every direction. Behind and somewhat above her, what was usually the gunner's seat was now mostly refitted with the monitoring equipment needed to make otriding missions like this one profitable. Mostly they were boring, but you never really knew what might happen. Without taking her eyes off her own job, Thalia Porter spoke to her companion in genial, somewhat bored tone.

"Anythin' yet, Vera? I wanna be back at the Chariot in time for chow." Vera just shook her head, short panytail flapping slightly, then answered to the negative. After a few more minutes, she adjusted a dial on her screen, he eyes focusing. "Got something. Slipspace-type disruption, just a little ways out, here. Flicking a calculation into the cartographer at lightning speed, she set the destination. "That's it." Glancing at the blinking red dot on her holographic map, Thalia nodded. "We can be there in a couple of hours, once we pick up the rest of the squadron. Bring 'em in, Vee, let's go huntin'."

Alba System - Edge of System (2 Light-hours from Alba III) - TEEF "Joy of Discovery"

A brief warning klaxon preceded Tantalus' message by only two seconds, #Captain, I have a possible new contact. Drone one forty seven intersected an active scan pulse. Someone out there is using active scanners, looking for visitors like ourselves is my guess. I am maneuvering additional drones to pin down the source.#

Sarah swore in her native tongue for a moment then pulled down her crash harness over the gel-chair, just in case things got ugly. "Shipwide. This is the Captain, we have a possible unknown contact in a reportedly hostile system. Set condition yellow, all hands to duty stations!" At condition yellow, the ship was brought up from normal operation procedures to pre-battle, but non-aggressive readiness. Power was allocated to begin charging all offensive and defensive systems, with weapon systems safeties left on. Shield generators were charged by not deployed. The idea behind Yellow status was to prep the ship for combat within five seconds, while externally projecting a non-aggressive posture to anyone scanning the ship. "Tantalus, start deploying another two hundred drones in close tactical formation, third light-second spacing. Let me know the moment you've got something positive."

#Yes sir, launching drones now.# Along the exterior of the ship, hatches opened to disgorge the tiny spheroids, which zipped out to establish five rough spheres of sensor coverage, each a third of a light-second apart.

"Sir? And what do we do if they are the hostiles in this system?" Velkesh glanced over from his gel-chair. Personally he was unafraid of combat, his species thrived in battle. However, he was a consummate professional and took his duty to the ship more seriously than his thrill of the battlefield.

Another deep frown crossed Sarah's face, she was monitoring the ship's status in her holotank, "If they're hostile, we either evade or blow them out of the sky. Which is which depends on how many there are and what they can throw at us. With any luck it will be either merchants trying to avoid raiders, or the locals' own patrols. And yes, before you say it Velkesh, I am well aware we seem to have already spent all our good luck this tour!" Her scowl was only partly broken as he listened to the Tejhiik's deep, throaty chuckle.

Tantalus resolved it's humanoid avatar in the tank, along with a spectral readout, #Captain, hate to interrupt, but I believe I've located the scan source. Five vessels, approximately two light-hours from our current position. Drones two-two-one and six-four are one minute fifteen seconds and two minutes eight seconds from realtime resolution, respectively.#

"Thank you Tantalus, looks like we have a little over one minute before we find out what's coming..." Trailing off at that point, all the while waiting as the blips in the holo-tank representing the drones moved closer to the source of the scans.

#Captain! Target aspects are changing. New course predicted as intercept, while targets are assuming tight formation relative. Revised tee-oh-tee is thirty seconds for drone two-two-one.# By now the light-lagged data clearly showed the five contacts grouping closer together, and approaching the incoming drone, and eventually their own position.

Sarah didn't like it. Her gut was churning, telling her these were not merchants or local police. Finally she gave into what her instincts were screaming. "Tantalus, order the drones to begin evasive maneuvers and begin total active scans the moment they're in realtime range. I want to know exactly what those contacts are!"

#Affirmative Captain. Tee-oh-tee now fifteen seconds...# The dots moved closer, while the drone blips begin weaving erraticly to avoid any potential incoming fire. Right now the drones would be moving near light speed, but using just their passive sensors they could only collect data which was seconds old. Eventually they would reach the range where their active scan emissions would rebound in less than a second, known as realtime scan range. Tantalus continued the count, #Ten seconds... nine... eight... seven... six... five... four... three... two... one... Beginning active scans!#

Alba System - Edge of System (2 Light-hours from Alba III) - Sensor Drone 221

The drone was both a complex piece of machinery, and it possessed a very simple mind. A stage two digital entity managed it's systems, responding as best it could to changing situations and orders from the commanding ship. Right now it had just finished it's erratic, weaving flight to bring it into range where it's active scanners could get a return without any lag. Hatches slid open and what was previously a smooth spheroid now became a porcupine of sensor masts. A millisecond later the space for one light-second around the drone lit up with every form of scan emissions known to TRIAD. Much of these emissions were focused on the incoming five Wolfships, and unless they had very sophisticated ECM systems or stealth, the Joy of Discovery was about to know as much about the assault craft's construction and composition as the people who built them.
The drawback to this was that now the drone had the sensor cross-section of a small moon. While anyone using slower-than-light sensoria might not notice the drone's position for hours while the emissions traveled at C, everyone in this system would be able to pick out the little machine as easily as the local star. In less than a minute, the drone's brother in design would be performing exactly the same stunt as they both cruised at 80 PSL past the approaching Wolfships.
Last edited by TRIAD Enterprises on Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TRIAD Enterprises
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby TRIAD Enterprises » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:51 pm

((Bump))

Prometheus V
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Prometheus V » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:37 pm

Turning, Drake glared coldly at Warrington, his expression without any emotion except contempt. Returning the short distance he had moved away, he stood once more, looking down on his Dyellian counterpart. After a short moment of consideration, he spoke once more in chilly tones that made it clear he was speaking only as a formality.

"I don't see the point, Captain. I am not here to negotiate terms of surrender or bargain with you. I am here to deliver a warning as any sovereign government does to another, and that is this: you have entered controlled space with the intention of spying on our home and infiltrating the fleet. There is no denying this, even it it were true you had different motives. The fact is that you approached our fleet with an armed warship while cloaked, so whatever you meant to do, you still commited an act of war, as I have already said. Luckily for you, we have different conventions for dealing with spies than most other governments. So, instead of just hanging you and your officers were we to capture you, we will simply kill all of you and take whats left of your little boat as small compensation."

Almost as though the thought had just ocurred to him, he changed subjects. "Whatever this 'device' may be, I don't care, because unless it is a weapon system, some sort of provision producer, or consists of large amounts of valuable materials, it is completely and totally useless to me. I, of course, as the person who would be leading the assault, would have right of salvage, so it's profitable for me to kill you. That's expensive though, since I don't doubt your ship is well equipped. On the other hand, I already have to work hard to break even with the amount of troops and craft I have already. So, remind me again, Captain, why do I care whether you live or die, and how is it profitable for me to do so."

Holding up a hand to forestall the answer a moment, he quickly added, "Keep in mind, I am both a pirate and a businessman of sorts. I care about my people, my ships, and my continued economic success. What I don't care about is you or yours, so tread carefully."

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:28 am

There was a pause, Warrington's eyes had narrowed, it looked for a few heartbeats like she was about to attack Drake and his bodyguard single handedly. In truth the only thing that stopped her was her sense of duty to the State, the State which had ordered that no alien should gain access to the cloaking device, no matter the cost.

"You have what, fourty people with you?" she asked instead. "If you say no, first off we'll attack you. Ideally we'll aim to take you, that is you personally, alive, then I will make you pay in blood for every insult, and believe me, you will beg to die before I am finished. In case you think your cluster of little boarding craft will help, we'll activate all those hundreds of little laser turrets, and power up the shield. They're designed for shooting up fighters, corvettes, scouts and so on. Those boarding ships look like just the kind of thing they'd tear to pieces. Then what I'll do is I'll overload the core on the Albatross, fire up the secondary thrusters and try to ram one of your capital ships."

"So." she folded her arms, "What are you going to do?"

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents