NATION

PASSWORD

NationStates Post-Modern Tech Community Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri May 06, 2016 11:03 pm

Out of curiosity, does anyone practice "soft" PMT (i.e. not based on 'hard science').
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Vistora
Senator

Founded: May 25, 2015
Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Fri May 06, 2016 11:05 pm

The Macabees wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone practice "soft" PMT (i.e. not based on 'hard science').

Ehe, technically I do, as my alternate canon is as mushy as can be, but I'm not even the most active member of it. My alternate canon is, nevertheless, decently developed, and I can certainly advise on matters pertaining to soft PMT.

Haishan
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 08, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haishan » Sat May 07, 2016 12:38 am

Vistora wrote:Of course. I presumed as much, but was merely clarifying. And yes, I am aware of the appeal of LOHCs and liquid hydrides as alternative methods for hydrogen storage to pressurization and/or cryogenic liquefaction, which was evident in my first post on the matter.

I apologise then for jumping into conclusions. However a general question comes into mind; would you prefer to combust the hydrogen or use PEM/SOFC for power? I imagine in PMT scene, integrated electric propulsion will become more prevalent thus favouring the development and usage of PEM/SOFC fuel cell. The US Army/Navy is currently investigating into such power source since the usual inefficient ICE could be eliminated and there wouldn't be much conversion equipment needed.

The Macabees wrote:Out of curiosity, does anyone practice "soft" PMT (i.e. not based on 'hard science').

Kraven comes into mind with his breeding program and cyborg soldiers. There's also Dephire and his nano(?)-augmented soldier in a Gholgoth's RP. I've been writing (somewhat) PMT stuff but it's based on IRL research however. Still writing it.

Also a second general question; what do you guys think of LENR? NASA was gung-ho over it. By the way, as the word of the vine goes, LENR=/= cold fusion. Do not mix the two or terrible consequences (and connotation) appear, notwithstanding Andrea Rossi's fraud.
Last edited by Haishan on Sat May 07, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
STATE CAPITALIST WITH CHAOS THEORISM | THE TECHNO-INDUSCRACY OF HAISHAN
ORDER THROUGH DISORDER
Nyhizi kizcyk kur

PROPONENT OF : UNCONVENTIONAL ELECTROMAGNETICS, NEW MATERIALS, METAMATERIALS, ENERGETICS AND, LASERS
GLOBAL AEROSPACE TRADE ASSOCIATION MEMBER | SCNS CONSTELLATION INITIATIVE (SIC)

Helio: currently working on a replacement though, it will be like 3x more powerful
TheGrimReaper: Builds cutting-edge technology > already designing a replacement by the time it is released :haishan:
Haishan, always three steps ahead than Her competitors.

Quattore
Lobbyist

Founded: Mar 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Quattore » Sat May 07, 2016 2:12 am

Haishan wrote:However a general question comes into mind; would you prefer to combust the hydrogen or use PEM/SOFC for power? I imagine in PMT scene, integrated electric propulsion will become more prevalent thus favouring the development and usage of PEM/SOFC fuel cell. The US Army/Navy is currently investigating into such power source since the usual inefficient ICE could be eliminated and there wouldn't be much conversion equipment needed.

In Kaltorya's case, ICE is being used while the fuel cells and related technology is being developed while civilian use is already heard of. The cells will replace ICE in military fields sometime in the future.
The Confederal Union of Kaltorya

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Sat May 07, 2016 2:34 am

I though PMT is near future and technology like teleportation is future technology.This resulted in my nation being an early FT but we haven't colonize any planet yet.Also to note is my nation is once MT before i changed it
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Quattore
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Quattore » Sat May 07, 2016 2:40 am

The federation of Kendor wrote:I though PMT is near future and technology like teleportation is future technology.This resulted in my nation being an early FT but we haven't colonize any planet yet.Also to note is my nation is once MT before i changed it

There's this division in PMT, one of which the 'MT+10', in which the exciting but experimental things you read in the news becomes true (ETC guns, unmanned tanks, etc.) and the other one the 'softer' variant. The core essence though is how emerging technologies shape society and what road they lead it down to, for example in Nightmare Tech you've got all the dystopian elements.

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat May 07, 2016 6:21 am

Faster than light communication, non-localized communication can possibly be broken in strange ways with quantum entanglement. There are also questions of whether the speed of light can be increased or increased. I can see a PMT where messages but not large objects can propagate faster than light.

The Nexus of Man
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Nexus of Man » Sat May 07, 2016 6:36 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Faster than light communication, non-localized communication can possibly be broken in strange ways with quantum entanglement. There are also questions of whether the speed of light can be increased or increased. I can see a PMT where messages but not large objects can propagate faster than light.

Wouldn't breaking faster-than-light speeds enable a massive FT technological propagation within a particular nation('s home planet)? Since such advancements will lead to massively upgraded supercomputers, and then...
Last edited by The Nexus of Man on Sat May 07, 2016 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haishan
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haishan » Sat May 07, 2016 8:13 am

UniversalCommons wrote:Faster than light communication, non-localized communication can possibly be broken in strange ways with quantum entanglement. There are also questions of whether the speed of light can be increased or increased. I can see a PMT where messages but not large objects can propagate faster than light.

No, you cannot transfer information faster than light despite having quantum entanglement due to non-communication theorem. The speed of light is absolute and even quantum entanglement obeys it; to entangle two objects you will be forced to rely on classical communication (i.e light particle) which means....non-faster-than-light communication.

To communicate and measure change...you need classical communication since measuring change involves telling the other guy what is the state of qubit A in contrast of qubit B held by the user. Faster-than-light communication, which is a subset of faster-than-light travel is purely FT.
ORDER THROUGH DISORDER
Nyhizi kizcyk kur

PROPONENT OF : UNCONVENTIONAL ELECTROMAGNETICS, NEW MATERIALS, METAMATERIALS, ENERGETICS AND, LASERS

Helio: currently working on a replacement though, it will be like 3x more powerful
TheGrimReaper: Builds cutting-edge technology > already designing a replacement by the time it is released :haishan:

UniversalCommons
Senator

Founded: Jan 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby UniversalCommons » Sat May 07, 2016 8:18 am

Haishan wrote:

No, you cannot transfer information faster than light despite having quantum entanglement due to non-communication theorem. The speed of light is absolute and even quantum entanglement obeys it; to entangle two objects you will be forced to rely on classical communication (i.e light particle) which means....non-faster-than-light communication.

To communicate and measure change...you need classical communication since measuring change involves telling the other guy what is the state of qubit A in contrast of qubit B held by the user. Faster-than-light communication, which is a subset of faster-than-light travel is purely FT.

I read these things and it seems that it is a matter of interpretation what faster than light speed actually is.
http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/6 ... -speed.htm

Haishan
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haishan » Sat May 07, 2016 8:41 am

UniversalCommons wrote:I read these things and it seems that it is a matter of interpretation what faster than light speed actually is.

The article title is very sensationalist/obscure and misleading to believe; there is no explicit mention in the article that faster-than-light information transfer occurred. What does it tell however that they managed to entangle three qubits simultaneously which in turn mentioned the QSK which is for encryption. If it's indeed faster-than-light communication, words like "instantaneous" would appear and there wouldn't be any mention of 'nanoseconds' or seconds. Seems, perhaps, maybe...you know where do these leading words lead to. Faster-than-light communication, especially if it use the scales provided in article, would be instantaneous to observe.
ORDER THROUGH DISORDER
Nyhizi kizcyk kur

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sat May 07, 2016 9:08 am

Haishan wrote:
Vistora wrote:Of course. I presumed as much, but was merely clarifying. And yes, I am aware of the appeal of LOHCs and liquid hydrides as alternative methods for hydrogen storage to pressurization and/or cryogenic liquefaction, which was evident in my first post on the matter.

I apologise then for jumping into conclusions. However a general question comes into mind; would you prefer to combust the hydrogen or use PEM/SOFC for power? I imagine in PMT scene, integrated electric propulsion will become more prevalent thus favouring the development and usage of PEM/SOFC fuel cell. The US Army/Navy is currently investigating into such power source since the usual inefficient ICE could be eliminated and there wouldn't be much conversion equipment needed.

That really depends on what sort of power can be put out by fuel cells. In my canon, electrical energy from advanced solid-state storage devices (far more gravimetrically and volumetrically dense than modern Lithium-Ion batteries) is used almost exclusively, and hydrogen combustion in only utilized in situations where electricity would otherwise be impractical (such as jets) or cannot produce the same force as combustion can.

Kraven comes into mind with his breeding program and cyborg soldiers. There's also Dephire and his nano(?)-augmented soldier in a Gholgoth's RP. I've been writing (somewhat) PMT stuff but it's based on IRL research however. Still writing it.

Also a second general question; what do you guys think of LENR? NASA was gung-ho over it. By the way, as the word of the vine goes, LENR=/= cold fusion. Do not mix the two or terrible consequences (and connotation) appear, notwithstanding Andrea Rossi's fraud.

I know too little on NASA's LENR project to really comment, though one method of LENR I have investigated as more of a far-PMT technology would be muon-catalyzed fusion. Basically, by replacing an atom's electrons with muons, one significantly decreases the repulsive force of electrons on each other, lowering the energy needed to fuse two atomic nuclei.

Haishan wrote:
UniversalCommons wrote:I read these things and it seems that it is a matter of interpretation what faster than light speed actually is.

The article title is very sensationalist/obscure and misleading to believe; there is no explicit mention in the article that faster-than-light information transfer occurred. What does it tell however that they managed to entangle three qubits simultaneously which in turn mentioned the QSK which is for encryption. If it's indeed faster-than-light communication, words like "instantaneous" would appear and there wouldn't be any mention of 'nanoseconds' or seconds. Seems, perhaps, maybe...you know where do these leading words lead to. Faster-than-light communication, especially if it use the scales provided in article, would be instantaneous to observe.

I'm backing Haishan on this. FTL technology has its refuge in vague wording and distant prognoses. Whatever the case, quantum entanglement cannot be used to communicate faster than the speed of light, due to the aforementioned non-communication theorem.
Last edited by Vistora on Sat May 07, 2016 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Haishan
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haishan » Sat May 07, 2016 9:33 am

Vistora wrote:That really depends on what sort of power can be put out by fuel cells. In my canon, electrical energy from advanced solid-state storage devices (far more gravimetrically and volumetrically dense than modern Lithium-Ion batteries) is used almost exclusively, and hydrogen combustion in only utilized in situations where electricity would otherwise be impractical (such as jets) or cannot produce the same force as combustion can.

Have you read the S-MAGJET patent? Bring on superconducting, electrically-powered turbofan! S-MAGJET is way more than simply an electric turbofan though, the patent also claims usage of MHD. All sorts of 'wut', clearly PMT.

Vistora wrote:I know too little on NASA's LENR project to really comment, though one method of LENR I have investigated as more of a far-PMT technology would be muon-catalyzed fusion. Basically, by replacing an atom's electrons with muons, one significantly decreases the repulsive force of electrons on each other, lowering the energy needed to fuse two atomic nuclei.

Protip,
Generating muon might be challenging at least.
ORDER THROUGH DISORDER
Nyhizi kizcyk kur

Quattore
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Quattore » Sat May 07, 2016 5:55 pm

What about magneto-inertial fusion for spacecraft?

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Sun May 08, 2016 3:55 pm

Exclusively so. I do realism, and it is important to me, but realism does not necessitate hard science. I have concepts that are based in science, but I neither know nor care about the actual science behind them; only that they are cool, fit my national character, and are believable.

The science... well, I don't need a second job that doesn't actually pay. Or third, since I actually do have a second that doesn't. The narrative effect is far more interesting to me.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun May 08, 2016 5:30 pm

Quattore wrote:What about magneto-inertial fusion for spacecraft?

Aye, that's what we use for our SSTO spaceplanes.

Haishan
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haishan » Sun May 08, 2016 7:51 pm

Do you mean for propulsion or for power? If for propulsion, it's likely to work as per extension of VASMR drive but 90% for propulsion though. In my opinion, it would be somewhat middle PMT assuming current fusion research is to be used as a benchmark. Have a related link (2015) discussing state of 'hot' fusion research IRL.

Vistora wrote:

Aye, that's what we use for our SSTO spaceplanes.

I was thinking to either use nuclear light bulb (NLB) or Orion for massive lift capacity. Both designs can be made like a flying brick (i.e incredibly strong for a spacecraft) but NLB is more challenging than Orion to engineer. The way I see it, to make space access worth while you need to make it cheap. To make it cheap, it's either you launch often or lift a lot or both. Otherwise the costs start ballooning quickly thus my decision to go nuclear lift off.
Last edited by Haishan on Sun May 08, 2016 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ORDER THROUGH DISORDER
Nyhizi kizcyk kur

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Sun May 08, 2016 8:33 pm

Haishan wrote:I was thinking to either use nuclear light bulb (NLB) or Orion for massive lift capacity. Both designs can be made like a flying brick (i.e incredibly strong for a spacecraft) but NLB is more challenging than Orion to engineer. The way I see it, to make space access worth while you need to make it cheap. To make it cheap, it's either you launch often or lift a lot or both. Otherwise the costs start ballooning quickly thus my decision to go nuclear lift off.

Haven't fully decided yet, but I think our spaceplanes use fusion nuclear-thermal rockets for exoatmospheric propulsion, as the only fusion reactors we have been able to miniaturize enough to fit on a reasonably-sized spaceplane are D-T fusion reactors.

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Mon May 09, 2016 12:59 pm

An uncharacteristically short post on my part, but I decided to bring out some of my more 'soft' PMT ideas there.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Quattore
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Quattore » Mon May 09, 2016 4:57 pm

An open question: how much do you all spend on energy?

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Mon May 09, 2016 5:01 pm

Quattore wrote:An open question: how much do you all spend on energy?

As far as fiscal policy goes? Our energy industry is privatized. Energy firms get building permit and charter priority if we're at risk of an energy deficit, but that's pretty much it.

Haishan
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haishan » Mon May 09, 2016 9:21 pm

Let's modify the question befitting the theme of thread. What PMT power source you guys use?

I haven't thought of such, so my major power source would be liquid metal-cooled nuclear fission. Transportation use either very good batteries or synthetic diesel or both. I'm however have some interest to design a space-based solar power system to supplement the nuclear option.

Then I intend to go polywell fusion route for certain section of Haishan, slowly replacing the nuclear fission option in conjunction of the space solar. Nuclear fission power capability will be retained as some fission reactor designs produce useful material for atomic bombs. Speaking of atomic bomb, I have a PMT design of it.
Last edited by Haishan on Mon May 09, 2016 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ORDER THROUGH DISORDER
Nyhizi kizcyk kur

Vistora
Senator

Capitalizt

Postby Vistora » Mon May 09, 2016 9:39 pm

Haishan wrote:

Let's modify the question befitting the theme of thread. What PMT power source you guys use?

I haven't thought of such, so my major power source would be liquid metal-cooled nuclear fission. Transportation use either very good batteries or synthetic diesel or both. I'm however have some interest to design a space-based solar power system to supplement the nuclear option.

Then I intend to go polywell fusion route for certain section of Haishan, slowly replacing the nuclear fission option in conjunction of the space solar. Nuclear fission power capability will be retained as some fission reactor designs produce useful material for atomic bombs. Speaking of atomic bomb, I have a PMT design of it.

Liquid metal-cooled? That's a component of the IFR's design, is it not? Considering your level of advancement, I would expect that the IFR would be within your purview.

We just use stellarator-style magnetic confinement D-T fusion for about 85% of our grid. The rest is wind, solar, and a few other renewable sources that exist moreso for research than power provision.
Last edited by Vistora on Mon May 09, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Haishan
Diplomat

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Haishan » Mon May 09, 2016 9:55 pm

Vistora wrote:Liquid metal-cooled? That's a component of the IFR's design, is it not? Considering your level of advancement, I would expect that the IFR would be within your purview.

We just use tokamak-style magnetic confinement D-T fusion for about 85% of our grid. The rest is wind, solar, and a few other renewable sources that exist moreso for research than power provision.

Yes, liquid metal-cooled reactors. Amongst the lines of FLiBe, IFR, fast neutron and such. I generally term it as liquid-metal cooled reactor considering different designs have different usages. A fast neutron design would be useful for a submarine but not so for civilian which demands separate requirements. If all, I chose liquid metal cooled-reactor for its safety benefit, i.e no Chernobyl meltdown for example. Then because generic liquid metal cooled reactors are perfectly MT (Alfa's reactor comes into mind and so is MSR Experiment).

My answer is in terms on telling a transitional phase considering the switch wouldn't happen immediately as tech progresses. There might be some old tech there and there as newer ones get introduced. As for level of advancement, I don't really classify Haishan to be measurable in such metrics or whatever since it's not useful to me.

As for tokamak so you went big risk, big power, big fusion eh. I bet on polywell fusor since it's several times cheaper than the lines of JET/ITER. Then there's also Lockheed Martin's CFR but its consistent operation feasibility is questionable for now.
ORDER THROUGH DISORDER
Nyhizi kizcyk kur

Nova Sodor
Bureaucrat

Founded: Jul 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Sodor » Mon May 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Tagging this awesome thread - cheers guys!

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents