NATION

PASSWORD

The Fer-de-Lance Vs The Hydra Chicken [HARD MT][OOC]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Alexiandra
Senator

Founded: Feb 04, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Alexiandra » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:50 am

Ghant wrote:
Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:There are two different arguments here: the first is the one all of us have been arguing about, the second is the one Inyursta has been arguing about. The first is whether freedom of navigation is an OOC convention; the second is whether it is an IC convention. I have not been discussing whether something is an IC convention OOCly because we all already know it isn’t an IC convention. You think I’m arguing it is an IC convention; I’m not arguing that, I’m arguing it’s an OOC convention which has nothing to do with the fact it's not an IC convention.

It is really very obvious that freedom of navigation is an OOC convention. Let us start from the basis that what is an OOC convention is completely and utterly decided by what goes on IRL, in the real world. Freedom of navigation has been enforced by first the Pax Britannia and then the Pax Americana for most of the last two fucking centuries since the victory of the Manchester school of trade. It is now a custom as set in stone as the British Constitution (another binding convention); and I don’t care what fantasy world you live in IRL, but in modern international policy making it is a given standard, even if there are a few places that attempt to flout it. It is almost the height of ignorance to suppose it is not an OOC convention, although given modern education perhaps that is understandable.

I'd argue that talking about what's kosher in RL doesn't exactly translate to IC. This isn't RL, this is a collaborative fiction site. Keyword there: fiction. NS is hardly different from something like Dungeons & Dragons or a work of fictional literature canon. Hence, what people should be asking here is: "what does the player who exercises creative agency over the pertinent creative material think?"

I seem to recall reading somewhere (I could be mistaken) that the region Inyursta is in, is more or less that player's creative material. Therefore, arguing what is and isn't acceptable in his creative canon is a moot point. As far as I'm concerned, if Inyursta says that his region, in which he exercises creative agency, possess flying dolphins, then by God, there's flying dolphins in that region's waters.

My other point is that for many players, such as myself, who don't recognize RL history ICly, something like an international waters convention doesn't exist, because it never happened in the in-game universe canon. The UN doesn't exist ICly, according to my canon, because I don't recognize RL history ICly. So on and so forth.

Indeed, the reason this argument is still going on is because a player's creative agency isn't being respected (Inyursta) and another player (Libraria) is attempting to impose roleplaying conventions on his creative material. Not only is that not fair, but it is against common roleplaying courtesy and etiquette. Instead, what Libraria should be talking about is "hey Inyursta, what would you like to do? Since this is your creative material that we are talking about?"

I've been following this argument for nearly as long as it's been going on, and that's ultimately the conclusion that I've come to. Libraria trying to shove a square peg into a round hole. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. The result is always going to be the same. Inyursta has made it clear what's acceptable, and what's not, within his roleplaying setting. So if Libraria cannot respect and abide by the decisions made by Inyursta regarding his creative material, I recommend he just don't write with him, and if Libraria cannot accept how he decides to roleplay international waters in the region in which he exercises creative agency, then he shouldn't recognize it OOCly. Problem solved.

The voice of sanity intervenes. As an unbiased observer, I strongly advise you guys to take this advice.
'A distinction is made in private life between what a man thinks and says of himself and what he really is and does. In historical struggles one must make a still sharper distinction between the phrases and fantasies of the parties and their real organisation and real interests, between their conception of themselves and what they really are.'

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:32 am

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:
> You have still failed to provide any evidence whatsoever that Inyursta ever signed any pact or convention which states foreign bodies can freely navigate their internal waters without regulation or regard to Inyurstan law and sovereign authority.

I haven't been trying to prove this.

Then my point stands.

So you admit there are nations even IRL which do not follow this supposed "standard"?
If there are exceptions to the rule how can it be set in stone?

Easily. It is a standard. People don't speak standard English, that doesn't mean it isn't a standard.

First off, at risk of starting another tangent, Standard English varies by country, so you literally can't say its normal for all anglophones to speak one form of English.

Secondly, if you admit there is more than one way of doing things, then why would you assume someone would do something one way and try to label them as unrealistic for doing it any of those different ways which still exist?

2) I never said it wasn't 'justifiable' to ask said question. You were the one who got bent out of shape, not me...

You said 'duh' unfairly and unjustly. This entire argument is your fault.

I'm sorry that I apparently don't know the proper procedure for explaining something quite obvious (X = X) that has been stated multiple times in the past.

I mean I said it both here in the OP and in the IFC thread...

Ghant wrote:I seem to recall reading somewhere (I could be mistaken) that the region Inyursta is in, is more or less that player's creative material. Therefore, arguing what is and isn't acceptable in his creative canon is a moot point. As far as I'm concerned, if Inyursta says that his region, in which he exercises creative agency, possess flying dolphins, then by God, there's flying dolphins in that region's waters.

Its actually split between me and Cusc (hence Cuscatlan), but we are both in agreement. Qui is so far the only other player with a puppet nation and he is also fully in support of my IC actions and OOC statements.

My other point is that for many players, such as myself, who don't recognize RL history ICly, something like an international waters convention doesn't exist, because it never happened in the in-game universe canon. The UN doesn't exist ICly, according to my canon, because I don't recognize RL history ICly. So on and so forth.

RL history does exist in my cannon (being a former European colony in all and being heavily influenced by Latin America); but yeah the existence of the UN changes depending on context for me (I can be quite flexible really) and I'm not a WA member or anything, so there really is no convention Inyursta is bound to that would imply they follow an IRL trend which has been pointed out time and time again is not universal.

Indeed, the reason this argument is still going on is because a player's creative agency isn't being respected (Inyursta) and another player (Libraria) is attempting to impose roleplaying conventions on his creative material. Not only is that not fair, but it is against common roleplaying courtesy and etiquette. Instead, what Libraria should be talking about is "hey Inyursta, what would you like to do? Since this is your creative material that we are talking about?"

To be fair to Lib he doesn't seem to be trying to say I "should" behave according to such rules; rather its apparently unrealistic to ignore them and I should have to go the distance to constantly remind everyone that Inyursta is "unlike IRL" (even though IRL countries do as Inyursta does).

I also saw this in the news this morning: http://www.wsj.com/articles/indonesia-b ... 7?mod=e2fb
I feel its entirely relevant to the discussion of how a nation can regulate and enforce its own internal waters.

Other relevant points include how Egypt was able to nationalize the Suez, how the Panama Canal has been closed throughout its history, and pretty much the whole South China Sea dispute.

TL;DR my argument is this:

- Inyursta is not a signatory of any such 'freedom' of navigation treaty or organization
- IRL the concept of 'freedom' of navigation is not universally accepted nor enforced
- The concept of freedom of navigation seems to mostly apply to open oceans (blue waters) and not internal/territorial or littoral (brown) waters, the Sea of Juarez and the Straits of Hidalgo are internal
Last edited by Inyourfaceistan on Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Founded: May 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:08 pm

I appreciate that you're both trying to be helpful, but:

Ghant wrote:Indeed, the reason this argument is still going on is because a player's creative agency isn't being respected (Inyursta) and another player (Libraria) is attempting to impose roleplaying conventions on his creative material.

No I'm not. There is a great difference between my trying to explain what the OOC convention is and trying to force someone else to use it ICly.

Not only is that not fair, but it is against common roleplaying courtesy and etiquette. Instead, what Libraria should be talking about is "hey Inyursta, what would you like to do? Since this is your creative material that we are talking about?"

What do you think this is?

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:So, let us wrap this all up. Before I do finish my next post; just to check, what is the current standard of Inyursta's treatment of third-party ships?

Obviously it's not me asking Inyursta how he's decided his nation is RPing! That would be totally reasonable, wouldn't it, and none of you believe I would do anything reasonable!*

Inyourfaceistan wrote:To be fair to Lib he doesn't seem to be trying to say I "should" behave according to such rules; rather its apparently unrealistic to ignore them and I should have to go the distance to constantly remind everyone that Inyursta is "unlike IRL" (even though IRL countries do as Inyursta does).

Some countries. Most don't. Which is my point, and what I mean when I say standard/convention. It would be quite entirely unfair for you to think that I should be able to read your mind and know that Inyursta is not behaving like most nations do.

Think of it like this. You don't know whether there are sentient ponies in Ausitoria. However you assume you don't need to ask. Well, imagine if you did need to ask! How annoying would that be?

(I'm quite tempted to fill my nation with sentient ponies just to prove the point).

(*Really it would be a lot faster if you start with the assumption that I only do things that are reasonable, and then try to work out what on earth I'm doing, because I'm clearly not very good at explaining whatever I'm doing. I.e. please stop leaping to the conclusion that I'm being unreasonable).
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
The Aestorian Commonwealth - Pax Prosperitas - Gloria in Maere - (Factbook)

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○
(██████████████████████████████║║◙█[Θ]█]◙◙◙◙◙[█]

El Cuscatlan
Senator

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby El Cuscatlan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:50 pm

Think of it like this. You don't know whether there are sentient ponies in Ausitoria. However you assume you don't need to ask. Well, imagine if you did need to ask! How annoying would that be?

(I'm quite tempted to fill my nation with sentient ponies just to prove the point).

I am not really trying to debate you since you do not know what "argument" is nor do you bother to listen and reply to my posts... but let's say that here in Cuscatlan we do not hunt mustangs like Inyurstans do; we hunt ponies. Instead of rifles we use Navy's harriers!

(Kudos to all who gotten the reference!)

Killed so much of this pest on various alternate accounts that if you want me to pull another Bethuana and bring lfire and brimstone on some rainbow colored pest, call! Though I doubt this thread is appropriate place, but on some alternate account, feel free to!

I hadn't been on a proper Xeno Hunt for ages...
Last edited by El Cuscatlan on Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gran Cuscatlan - population 718 million - is rightist junta ruled county in Latin America. | I am born again Christian.
SANTIAGO ANTI COMMUNIST TREATY ORGANISATION - WE KILL THE REDS! | INDUTRIAS SOBERRANAS - CUSCATLANI ARMS! | Cuscatlani Integralism | Guardia Anticommunista

Given title of "The AntiChe" by Lolloh 10th May 2014. Now commies tremble in fear!

Flardania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 13, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Flardania » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:59 pm

El Cuscatlan wrote:

I am not really trying to debate you since you do not know what "argument" is nor do you bother to listen and reply to my posts... but let's say that here in Cuscatlan we do not hunt mustangs like Inyurstans do; we hunt ponies. Instead of rifles we use Navy's harriers!

(Kudos to all who gotten the reference!)

Killed so much of this pest on various alternate accounts that if you want me to pull another Bethuana and bring lfire and brimstone on some rainbow colored pest, call! Though I doubt this thread is appropriate place, but on some alternate account, feel free to!

I hadn't been on a proper Xeno Hunt for ages...

Okay this totally has nothing with what has been argued here.

^ Current status of the thread thanks to arguments

Okay Lib and Inyursta for the millionth time we established Inyursta dosen't follow standard conventions and we establish Lib had no way to assume that a nation that is Realistically MT did not follow does conventions. Now let's move past this. No wonder people are starting to focus on regions these days...
A Proud FMR. Foreign Minister of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION!
Proud member of the -ALLIANCE OF DEMOCRATIC STATES-

I am a MT Japanese/Korean nation inhabited by Human, Anime(They're also Human), and Secret FanT beings (Northern Wilderness)that perform acts based on MT/PMT Reality

Internationally known as Flardania in English, known domestically as Kirishima in Japanese & French, and domestically as Angaeseom in Korean

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:15 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Some countries. Most don't. Which is my point, and what I mean when I say standard/convention. It would be quite entirely unfair for you to think that I should be able to read your mind and know that Inyursta is not behaving like most nations do.

You don't need to read my mind you need to read what I already wrote: viewtopic.php?p=27623108#p27623108

Okay Lib and Inyursta for the millionth time we established Inyursta dosen't follow standard conventions and we establish Lib had no way to assume that a nation that is Realistically MT did not follow does conventions.

It's not a standard convention, there are plenty of nations IRL which do not adhere to a philosophy which is ultimately the result of Western maritime dominance, why should I be labeled as some form of outlier or exception to the rule when I do so here?
Last edited by Inyourfaceistan on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

El Cuscatlan
Senator

Founded: Nov 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby El Cuscatlan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:43 pm

Okay Lib and Inyursta for the millionth time we established Inyursta dosen't follow standard conventions and we establish Lib had no way to assume that a nation that is Realistically MT did not follow does conventions. Now let's move past this. No wonder people are starting to focus on regions these days...

Sadly, it is fault of certain mindset in II Rping community.

Long long ago, in a thread far away, I wrote for Ausitoria a lengthy lecture on nuclear deterrence; citing such prominent figures as Vasiliy Sokolovsky or Henry Kissinger. I wanted to portray how, from my own knowledge, how could a conventional war play out in a way that would not require nukes... What kind of response I gotten?

A single statement that he will reply to it earlier. I still hadn't gotten a reply until now. In fact, to understand why, one just has to look on TGs where 2ria proclaims that he will godmode my nation and that he does not give a damn about what we think. I seen also said RPer ignore arguments of other people outright and instead use argumentum ad personam to conceal his own lack of arguments. TBH with no offense I have a suspicion that he is on purpose trying to prolong OOC issues, hoping to anger IYF enough to have him leave the thread so he can claim "victory", because we are still waiting for any IC development to happen..

Where is the fault then? It lies at hands of II community that is so bent on "avoiding issues" rather than "solving issues".

There can be no tolerance for certain kinds of behaviour in RPing community; yet people are ignoring it just to "avoid arguments". I never seen anybody trying to mediate between me or 2ria, I never seen anybody trying to even shut us off IFC thread - all I seen were people whose sole message was to tell us to "stop arguing" without looking at which side is actually right and which is wrong. Am I the bad guy? Then let me be kicked out! But now you see where this kind of behaviour led to.

I have no plans of RPing with 2ria (outside of eventual pony hunt) neither will I debate him because this RPer is simply undebatable; not because his arguments make any sense, because they don't, but because he will never really debate; in fact he himself said that it is either as he wants or it is nothing or that he does not recognize arguments of people he does not respect.

Provided that, entire SACTO has announced that Ausitoria will be ignored, both ICly and OOCly, from that point. Any actions that will be carried by individual nations are not to be taken as part of SACTO. Our community will not engage in RPing with Ausitoria or any OOC interactions with him; we wish him all the best and lots of fun on this site, but it will be better that way.

Thank you.
Last edited by El Cuscatlan on Wed Apr 06, 2016 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Gran Cuscatlan - population 718 million - is rightist junta ruled county in Latin America. | I am born again Christian.
SANTIAGO ANTI COMMUNIST TREATY ORGANISATION - WE KILL THE REDS! | INDUTRIAS SOBERRANAS - CUSCATLANI ARMS! | Cuscatlani Integralism | Guardia Anticommunista

Given title of "The AntiChe" by Lolloh 10th May 2014. Now commies tremble in fear!

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:03 am

Flardania wrote:Okay Lib and Inyursta for the millionth time we established Inyursta dosen't follow standard conventions and we establish Lib had no way to assume that a nation that is Realistically MT did not follow does conventions. Now let's move past this. No wonder people are starting to focus on regions these days...

At last, a sensible post. Certainly the two of us are happy with it.

Unfortunately Inyursta disagrees.
Inyourfaceistan wrote:It's not a standard convention, there are plenty of nations IRL which do not adhere to a philosophy which is ultimately the result of Western maritime dominance, why should I be labeled as some form of outlier or exception to the rule when I do so here?

What are you so fussed about? I would wear the label of an exception with pride!

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Some countries. Most don't. Which is my point, and what I mean when I say standard/convention. It would be quite entirely unfair for you to think that I should be able to read your mind and know that Inyursta is not behaving like most nations do.

You don't need to read my mind you need to read what I already wrote: viewtopic.php?p=27623108#p27623108

You said – and I quote – ‘internal waters are not usually blocked to shipping’ – but you clearly have a different definition of open waters to mine, with all your talk about trucks, and stopping and searching cargoes.

I am not a mind reader, and you object when I make assumptions, so therefore I asked you a question. I really don’t see what’s wrong with that.

It was both rude and unjust for you to add the word ‘duh’ to your reply; and I can’t stand unfairness – it is about the only thing that is still British about me. I will not back down from an argument about what is fair.

El Cuscatlan wrote:Long long ago, in a thread far away, I wrote for Ausitoria a lengthy lecture on nuclear deterrence; citing such prominent figures as Vasiliy Sokolovsky or Henry Kissinger. I wanted to portray how, from my own knowledge, how could a conventional war play out in a way that would not require nukes... What kind of response I gotten?

The reason why I have not yet replied is because shortly after you made that post, you announced your intention to ignore me, in case you’ve forgotten. Obviously after that I had other priorities, being Prime Minister of the IFC. However I am happy to debate the point with you in detail – if this brief explanation is insufficient. I should briefly preface it by saying that while your military analysis is undeniably accurate, your focus on that subject only has left out a number of important points for a wider appreciation of the other salient strategic considerations.

[See original post for reference].

First, the analysis that the IFC-SACTO tensions are between the internationalist and realist camps is partially flawed: while the IFC is internationalist and asovereigntist in the sense of assuming some measure of shared international responsibility, the SACTO viewpoint is Westphalian sovereigntist in mode - there are striking parallels in the WA in the IntFed vs. NatSov conflict, for those of you who pay attention to such things. The former viewpoint, held by large parts of the IFC, is that if genocidal dictators are a threat to world peace and trade, clearly there are circumstances under which sovereignty cannot be cited as a basis for defence, such viewpoints have coalesced into the responsibility to protect in RL, and the even more forceful duty to protect in Ausitoria. I should mention that Ausitoria has since, under exceptional pressure, adopted the policy of the triple-standard: only intervening where there is a humanitarian need, in the interest of democracy, and in the interest of the preservation of international order. Such a preference is also characterized by a recognition of the shared responsibilities of nation states, a view that is widely prevalent in the European establishment at least. Insofar as some SACTO members oppose this transnational interests viewpoint, it is absurd for them to assume that their viewpoint is ‘realist’ – old-fashioned, or more generously Westphalian, would be a better way of putting it.

This flaw also extends to failing to understand that while SACTO members may think they are the only ones pursuing a balance of power, most of the internationalist’s camps decisions have been made on exactly the same basis – simply from the point of view of one of the other powers. Ensuring the Balance of Power requires that no radical power, be it left or right, can become predominant. Indeed the decision to remove Inyursta from the IFC was supported by large parts of the Ausitorian establishment on the strategic grounds of ensuring the rebalance between left and right. It was not the sole reason, it was not even the most important reason, but it was a significant factor nonetheless, an indivisible part of the whole aim of attempting to make the IFC more cohesive in function, ability, and stance.

Those two different points, then, are the basis for any tensions. Let us now move on to the question of nuclear deterrence. While Cuscy’s analysis here is entirely coherent, it is largely confined to the military point of view, and I can count five other points which have considerable bearing: in no particular order, first, the importance of maritime trade to the Commonwealth, second, the aim of deterrence, third, the matter of ideology, fourth, the concept of partial escalation, and fifth, the question of missile interception.

First, the importance of maritime trade. I believe we are all already aware that in real life most of the world’s international trade is seabourne. The Commonwealth, being composed of about a dozen major island groups, and with nowhere more than a thousand kilometres from the coast; is also in the position where the vast majority of its interstate trade is seabourne. Therefore I estimate the sustained loss of command of the seas would likely lead to a 80% fall in GDP – virtually identical in effect to a major nuclear strike. Quite apart from the purely economic implications, the Commonwealth would immediately be dissolved under social pressure. As such there is very little difference in the choice between 'humiliation' and nuclear war; humiliation in such circumstances is so terrible that a limited nuclear war would likely have a lesser impact.

Second, on deterrence for the sake of deterrence, there is undeniably a small part of North Korea in Ausitoria’s manner. While they attempt to be very clear in some areas, with the aim of reducing the likelihood of international war (an extension of forward guidance, as used in monetary policy, to the realm of foreign affairs), they threaten to use nuclear weapons on the basis that it is a good form of defence (much cheaper than conventional weaponry), and will likely use it simply because they have said they will use it, and they can’t back down anyway, otherwise the deterrence value would be severely weakened.

Third, the question of ideology. As you are by now aware, Ausitoria cares more about trade than virtually anything else – as such, they might well gamble on a last stand, accepting the certainty of either their likely defeat or the unlikely possibility of success. When people believe in causes, anything can happen, no matter how irrational it might seem to either side.

Fourth, there is the fact that it is possible to limit nuclear exchanges, noted in Sir John Hackett’s The Third World War: The Untold Story (a rather good book, although I have unfortunately mislaid my copy), where Birmingham and then Minsk are destroyed in turn. I also expect most people are aware of the development of nuclear depth charges. Therefore in the event of Commonwealth loss of maritime supremacy in home waters it does not seem unlikely to me that the Commonwealth might start any nuclear exchange, declaring its intent to confine itself to attacking enemy warships with tactical nuclear weapons. In such a situation it would be the opposing powers which would then face the dilemma between escalation or relatively limited humiliation that you refer to.

Fifth and finally, there is the recent massive investment in the Commonwealth’s space abilities, as I have been making increasingly evident in multiple different RPs. While this investment is mostly based on economics grounds, the ability to use lasers to shoot down missiles at high altitudes, in conjunction with the developing ability to intercept such missiles in the booster phase and in the terminal phase due to the recent development of the X-ray Laser, means that anything less than an all-out attack might be substantially limited in effect.

I should underline that while all these arguments may to some extent seem unrealistic from a military point of view, they form a compelling argument regarding wider socio-political strategy: Ausitoria is not run by its military.

For those five reasons I am certain the danger of SACTO members accidentally leading the Commonwealth to use nuclear weapons was (at the time) much higher than you believe. That is one of the reasons why I have been so reluctant to RP with you – you refuse to take the possibility sufficiently seriously ICly, and on an OOC basis we have all put a lot of work into our nations and most of us have no wish to see them suddenly wiped out in the blink of an RP. I rather like Ausitoria, for all that it frightens me. (I'm afraid I poured my beliefs into it, and I'm not so convinced I believe in them any more).

Anyway, I should note that with the relative rise in centrist power since that argument, and the growth in neutral powers notable by increasing IFC members and the founding of the ADS, and the improvement to the position of left-wingers, the Commonwealth no longer feels that SACTO poses any existential threat to the international balance of power, and consequently there is now be substantially less likelihood of further incidents instigated by the Commonwealth. Of course I cannot estimate the likelihood of whether SACTO members will instigate further clashes - given that their strategic appreciation seems to miss out these seven differences, perhaps it is actually quite likely?

As for why I have not yet posted again ICly in this topic, it is simply that most of my time on this subject has to be for OOC arguments not IC arguments, since you keep on assuming (or perhaps concluding) that everything I do or say is unreasonable, and then I have to correct you. In addition most of the things that most SACTO members do is either somewhat ICly or somewhat OOCly unreasonable by my definition anyway. Therefore it should be no surprise that I generally devote more of my time to RPing with people who I think have better manners. I think it would be fair for me to say that as a group you have a bit of an image problem, and some of that problem might even be justified.

Of course I’m hardly the model of clarity myself – it may simply be the result of one giant misunderstanding by both sides: you assume I’m always being unreasonable, I assume you’re unreasonable in making that assumption, whereas in fact you simply don’t understand me, perhaps for valid (although definitely incorrect) reasons.

More clarity needed, methinks. Perhaps it’s as you say:
El Cuscatlan wrote:Where is the fault then? It lies at hands of II community that is so bent on "avoiding issues" rather than "solving issues".

Anyway, I think we've also reached the end of this argument. I think we're all agreed it's fine to ask people whether their nations are following RL conventions. We simply can't agree on what the RL conventions are - I think freedom of navigation is pretty much standard, Inyursta thinks it isn't particularly conventional. It rather depends on how large a proportion of countries you need for something to be a convention, and what sort of time frame you're looking at - in very recent history and in ancient history of course it wasn't a convention; but from 1850-2000 it certainly seems like a pretty undeniable convention to me, and I think the last few years are probably just a blip.

But anyway, I'm willing to agree to disagree on that one, and move on. But please, Inyursta, don't say 'duh' next time I ask you a question, or else I might make a really annoying assumption next time instead. Or start using magicians in my next post.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:20 am, edited 7 times in total.

Disclaimer: Notwithstanding any mention of their nations, Ausitoria and its canon does not exist nor impact the canon of many IFC & SACTO & closed-region nations; and it is harassment to presume it does. However in accordance with my open-door policy the converse does not apply: they still impact Ausitoria's canon.
○ Commonwealth Capital (Bank) ○ ○ Commonwealth Connect (Bank Treaty) ○ ○ SeaScape (Shipping & Energy) ○

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:59 am

Inyourfaceistan wrote:It's not a standard convention, there are plenty of nations IRL which do not adhere to a philosophy which is ultimately the result of Western maritime dominance, why should I be labeled as some form of outlier or exception to the rule when I do so here?

What are you so fussed about? I would wear the label of an exception with pride!

"Everyone who drives a blue car is different!"

You're attempting to label everyone who takes a completely plausible and realistic viewpoint which is not uncommon IRL as somehow an oddball or radical outlier, or even worse as "unrealistic".
Yet you cannot back this implication up with anything other than coincidental and most de-jure philosophy, which again is not by any means universally accepted IRL, that came about as a result of conditions not present on NS.

You don't need to read my mind you need to read what I already wrote: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... #p27623108

You said – and I quote – ‘internal waters are not usually blocked to shipping’ – but you clearly have a different definition of open waters to mine, with all your talk about trucks, and stopping and searching cargoes.

I said, and I quote: "Now, internal waters are not usually blocked to shipping (nor is it currently blocked to anyone else but 2ria), moving a ship either between South Guerroca and Marindino or passing through the Straits of Hidalgo would be no different than passing a truck from Mexico through the US into Canada."

So do you freaking see why I see it as an obvious answer that a ship crossing the border would be treated just as a truck crossing the border would, considering I already said that?

Me: "The sky is grey"
You: "What color is the sky?"
Me: "Grey. Duh..."
You: "Grey? What realistic MT nation has grey skies!?! And how dare you say "duh" to me!!!"

I am not a mind reader, and you object when I make assumptions, so therefore I asked you a question. I really don’t see what’s wrong with that.

I never said anything was wrong with that.
You're the one getting bent out of shape because I said "duh" after answering a question with a statement I had already made multiple times.

It was both rude and unjust for you to add the word ‘duh’ to your reply; and I can’t stand unfairness – it is about the only thing that is still British about me. I will not back down from an argument about what is fair.

And I won't back down from an argument when I know I am correct.
Last edited by Inyourfaceistan on Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:12 am

I recommend you guys do a cost-benefit analysis. Are the benefits of continuing with this argument worth its costs (e.g. time wasting, lack of RPing, etc)? If not, it might be time to agree to disagree.

I know you guys think you have stakes in the argument, but you will both be refreshed if you walk away from it.

In that same vein, when I get heated I try to walk away for 24 hours. Then I come back. My response 24h later is always, without fail, much, much better and more level-headed than the one I would have written had I responded immediately.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:00 pm

Oh, I see why there is such a misunderstanding.

It is simply that when I referred to third-parties I mean non-Ausitorian de-jure and Ausitorian de-facto – in light of the different effective status of such a third party to the normal neutrals that you seemed to be thinking of in the OP, I assumed you understood I thought there might be some difference when I asked for your clarification. To borrow your analogy, yes, you said the sky was grey; I then went on to ask you what shade of grey; and then you replied it was all grey, and added 'duh', which is definitely most unfair.

Easy mistake to make. You are forgiven, if you want it.

(Why is it that the two of us find it so impossible to understand what the other is driving at?)
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Great Feng
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Feng » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:02 pm

I forgot about this thread.
I'll join in a bit, by giving Inyursta minor financial support.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:23 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Oh, I see why there is such a misunderstanding.

It is simply that when I referred to third-parties I mean non-Ausitorian de-jure and Ausitorian de-facto – in light of the different effective status of such a third party to the normal neutrals that you seemed to be thinking of in the OP, I assumed you understood I thought there might be some difference when I asked for your clarification. To borrow your analogy, yes, you said the sky was grey; I then went on to ask you what shade of grey; and then you replied it was all grey, and added 'duh', which is definitely most unfair.

(Why is it that the two of us find it so impossible to understand what the other is driving at?)

Since apparently there was some confusion here, let me make this simple:

What I said: "...moving a ship either between South Guerroca and Marindino or passing through the Straits of Hidalgo would be no different than passing a truck from Mexico through the US into Canada."

What you asked: "So, let us wrap this all up. Before I do finish my next post; just to check, what is the current standard of Inyursta's treatment of third-party ships?"

What I replied: "The same way we treat third-party trucks passing through our roads. Duh."

So please explain to me where it wasn't obvious how I would treat third party ships?

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:25 am

Inyourfaceistan wrote:So please explain to me where it wasn't obvious how I would treat third party ships?

Difference in understanding of what constitutes a third party, as I said:

Anyway, there is nothing further to test - until the Ausitorian navy has a reason to pass through, which could be decades or even centuries off.

Therefore, since within the last few weeks Ausitoria has established the required mechanism to offset all financial losses, I shall make a concluding post alluding to the subject within the week.

To sum, as far as I am concerned, this particular incident is finished, until some time in the future when Inyurstan and I can hold a civilized conversation (i.e. decades or even centuries off). Otherwise I am sure we will continue to RP obliquely...

The Macabees wrote:In that same vein, when I get heated I try to walk away for 24 hours. Then I come back. My response 24h later is always, without fail, much, much better and more level-headed than the one I would have written had I responded immediately.

And my response, after two months, is absolutely perfect.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Thu Jun 02, 2016 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 7:22 am

Inyourfaceistan wrote:So please explain to me where it wasn't obvious how I would treat third party ships?

Difference in understanding of what constitutes a third party, as I said:

Except I replied to you with this:

Since apparently there was some confusion here, let me make this simple:

What I said: "...moving a ship either between South Guerroca and Marindino or passing through the Straits of Hidalgo would be no different than passing a truck from Mexico through the US into Canada."

What you asked: "So, let us wrap this all up. Before I do finish my next post; just to check, what is the current standard of Inyursta's treatment of third-party ships?"

What I replied: "The same way we treat third-party trucks passing through our roads. Duh."

So please explain to me where it wasn't obvious how I would treat third party ships?

So you literally replied to my question with a point I already shot down.
Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Anyway, there is nothing further to test - until the Ausitorian navy has a reason to pass through, which could be decades or even centuries off.

Therefore, since within the last few weeks Ausitoria has established the required mechanism to offset all financial losses, I shall make a concluding post alluding to the subject within the week.

Great then.
So as far as I am concerned you have neither the ability nor the willingness to continue to support your claims for "common use" through my rightful territory (both IC and OOC), and life continues as usual for me as you seem unwilling to move any assets through my waters for me to stop despite your previous rants and chest-puffing.
Needless to say I am entirely happy with this result.

To sum, as far as I am concerned, this particular incident is finished, until some time in the future when Inyurstan and I can hold a civilized conversation (i.e. decades or even centuries off). Otherwise I am sure we will continue to RP obliquely...

Well for one it can start when you actually have the decency and respect to call me by my correct name instead of willfully choosing to ignore my sig in the same manner you choose to ignore my points which you can't refute.
Last edited by Inyourfaceistan on Thu Jun 02, 2016 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:50 pm

I have already addressed (or am in the process of preparing to address) all your points and have no intention to discuss the matter further.

When will you learn that people deciding not to bother arguing with you does not mean that you're right, I wonder? Perhaps never. Never mind, it is not my job to teach the unteachable.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Aeyariss
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby New Aeyariss » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:07 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:When will you learn that people deciding not to bother arguing with you does not mean that you're right, I wonder? Perhaps never. Never mind, it is not my job to teach the unteachable.

And perhaps you would understand that you aren't omnipotent, all knowing person and that because you think something is in some way, it does not mean it is?

Your arrogant attitude is only reason this argument is happening right now. IYF may not be holy (there is a reason why SACTO calls him "pitbull" and our initiation ritual involves "being bitten by pitbull") but he hadn't been escaping to making ridiculous points and using tactics such as ignoring someone's points or entire posts or infamous declaration of godmodding?

If you want to RP on this site, please learn how to cooperate with other people because - with no offense - no one cares about how wise or great you think you are. All greatness begins in humility. RPing is a COLLABORATIVE work; while you are doing everything to bring your OOC feelings into the IC posts, I am designing storefront graphics for New Roma Republic. Do you know why? Because I actually like guys with whom I am RPing here, even if they are my foes. Yeah. I like Guadalupador (great RPer; you could learn from him), I like NRR, I like a Wagondia, I like a lot of people in the IFC with whom RPing - even against them - is fun because they understand the meaning of word RESPECT.

If you can't show RESPECT to others, don't expect it to be shown to you. Don't expect that people will like you ever consider listening to your points - because all debates you have been in here so far with me were always based on "I AM RIGHT! I AM RIGHT!" - even if you obviously aren't. You can't cooperate with people; it has to be your way or you will try to use OOC pressure to make it your way. Let me state this again: you are not special, and if you wish to be respected, do things worth of respect, instead of purposefuly ruining fun of other people just to make a point.

Don't count on any proper RP with attitude like that - they will all devolve into OOC arguments. In fact, humility is something we all need to learn; and I am thankful to the LORD that he taught me that thanks to some older RPs that ended like that. Now IYF; how about we close that thread? Ausitoria is apparently unable to realize any of the threats he OOCly stated his government will do; thus there is no real reason to bother as now, seeing attitude he displays towards his fellow RPers.
Last edited by New Aeyariss on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rping in MT (2023) and PT/FanT (1564)

Inyourfaceistan wrote:You didn't know that Cusc is actually a 4-armed cyborg genius commander and skillful warrior created in secret by a cabal of rich capitalist financiers built to lead and army of drones and other renegades against and overbearing socialist regime?
Psalms 144:1 wrote:Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Also known as El Cuscatlan, Jesus will offer you eternal life if you believe in him!

Libraria and Ausitoria
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Libraria and Ausitoria » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:39 pm

Your argument is utterly unconvincing to me and you're wasting your own time as well as mine.

For all your talk of arrogance, you have some peculiar idea that I should be like you, that the only way is SACTO. But I can assure you I have no interest in being like you.

If people respect me for who I am, then I have earned their respect; if people think I am right, that is their choice and I will neither penalize nor reward them for it; if people don't respect me for who I am, then I have no interest in earning their respect; and if people think I am always wrong, I have better things to do with my time than pointless argument.

And if you don't respect me, what on earth are you doing here telling me that you don't respect me? Is this some new sort of flamebait? Because I can assure you it's not news to me, and I'm slightly flabbergasted that you still think I still want your respect. Frankly I would infinitely prefer not to have your respect.

I know I am respected by those who I deserve to be respected by, and I certainly hope I haven't done such a bad job of defending freedom of choice that I somehow deserve to be respected by you. But you are welcome to remain in your echo-chamber, your hall of mirrors, where everybody thinks the same way as you do, for as long as you like. I personally prefer people who I can disagree with, people I can learn from. You are respected by other conformists for being a conformist. I respect myself for occasionally being a non-conformist.
Last edited by Libraria and Ausitoria on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Aeyariss
Powerbroker

Founded: May 12, 2010
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby New Aeyariss » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:40 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:Your argument is utterly unconvincing to me and you're wasting your own time as well as mine.

For all your talk of arrogance, you have some peculiar idea that I should be like you, that the only way is SACTO. But I can assure you I have no interest in being like you.

It is not "like me". Certain norms of behaviour are bounding us all; especially "do unto others like you would wish them do to you". Not what you posted in that glorious TG that you sent me.

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:If people respect me for who I am, then I have earned their respect; if people think I am right, that is their choice and I will neither penalize nor reward them for it; if people don't respect me for who I am, then I have no interest in earning their respect; and if people think I am always wrong, I have better things to do with my time than pointless argument.

No one says you are always wrong; yet I have yet to see you backing yourself up with any evidence. Take a look at our old "scientific" debate about orbital plane; you couldn't even give any evidence to people whom I assure you, have big knowledge on technology, possibly bigger than you (Riysa is a good example).

Point is; YOU REFUSED TO DEBATE WITHOUT ATTEMPTS AT OOC PRESSURE AND ARGUING. If you had some issues / points, why not for example move them to NS Military Realism thread, or actually sit like men and solve them, instead of this constant flood of anger caused by the fact that something is not going your way?

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:And if you don't respect me, what on earth are you doing here telling me that you don't respect me? Is this some new sort of flamebait? Because I can assure you it's not news to me, and I'm slightly flabbergasted that you still think I still want your respect. Frankly I would infinitely prefer not to have your respect.

See? You are admitting my point. You can not treat other people with respect; that is why you are constantly in OOC arguments with them. You can not say "hey, I think there some issue. Let's talk it out". No - it are always the same patterns of behaviour based on arguing and purposeful ruining fun of others.

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:I know I am respected by those who I deserve to be respected by, and I certainly hope I haven't done such a bad job of defending freedom of choice that I somehow deserve to be respected by you. But you are welcome to remain in your echo-chamber, your hall of mirrors, for as long as you like. I personally prefer people who I can disagree with, people I can learn from.

AH! SO YOU ADMIT THAT THIS WHOLE THING IS MOTIVATED BY OOC POLITICAL DEBATES! SO YOU ADMIT THAT YOU TREAT AUSITORIA AS YOUR OWN PERSONIFICATION, AND ALL OF THIS IS NOT IC CLASH OF POWERS BUT AN ATTEMPT TO EXPAND OOC INTO IC SPHERE?

DOES ANYBODY NEED MORE EVIDENCE?
Rping in MT (2023) and PT/FanT (1564)

Inyourfaceistan wrote:You didn't know that Cusc is actually a 4-armed cyborg genius commander and skillful warrior created in secret by a cabal of rich capitalist financiers built to lead and army of drones and other renegades against and overbearing socialist regime?
Psalms 144:1 wrote:Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Also known as El Cuscatlan, Jesus will offer you eternal life if you believe in him!

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:47 pm

Libraria and Ausitoria wrote:-snip-

This is unnecessary, almost entirely strawman, riddled with falsehoods, and borderline trolling.

I have had enough of this argument, enough of your attitude and enough of your ego. It ends now.
IC thread is yours, post all you want, but you are no longer invited to post here.
Last edited by Inyourfaceistan on Thu Jun 02, 2016 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents