NATION

PASSWORD

The Trouble With Pirates Part 2 (TWI ONLY, CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Ventlimer
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

The Trouble With Pirates Part 2 (TWI ONLY, CLOSED)

Postby Ventlimer » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Ventlimian Naval Command
Report on the Pirate Base

Background: On December 24th, 2015, at approximately 8:15 A.M., The Ventlimian merchant ship SS Bentler was boarded by pirates. Atnaian vessel Topaz Responded, but not before 2 crew members were killed in cold blood by a man known as Kelanski and his partner, Dimer. The pirates were killed, but found aboard the ship was a large shipment of Ventlimian Gold. The serial numbers of the gold bars indicate that the gold was stolen and there is more than likely corruption within the Ventlimian Banking industry. In order to uncover the reason this gold was stolen and who or what it was possibly funding, the Ventlimian Intelligence Committee has tasked the Ventlimian Navy, along with help from other nations, with finding and occupying the Pirates' base of operation.

Objectives: This Mission will have the following objectives-

1. Find the Pirate Base.

2. Invade and occupy the base while keeping it in tact for information extraction.

3. To extract information regarding the Pirates activities, especially that related to Gold or Ventlimer.

Note: It is believed that these pirates, unlike others found in this region, will be an organized paramilitary group with light and heavy weapons.

Aiding in this mission will be Atnaian, Miklanian, and Covanant Naval Forces.

Officers of each Nation will meet aboard the VNS Lakeland for discussion of strategy.

End report.

Admiral James Birthmire, an average looking man with a muscular build and round glasses with hair cut short under his cover, Stood on the deck of the Lakeland, smoking a cigarette as he stared into the ocean. He was waiting on the other officers so that he could show them the latest scout reports and the unconfirmed location of the base. Hopefully we can confirm this with their reports so we can get on track and get this done, he thought. He looked down at the map and the tiny spit of land the pirates had occupied.

Hopefully a more detailed map could be made before the operation. He put out his cigarette and walked back into the bridge.
Last edited by Ventlimer on Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proud Member of the Western Isles.

Atnaia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:39 am

Commander Fredrick Williams, CO of the HRHS Topaz, sat next to Captain Donovan Colter in the small boat that was taking them from the Topaz to the Ventminion ship. Colter was a well-regarded commander, and was in charge of overseeing the infantry that would be used on the actual attack on the pirate base. He'd seen combat several times, and had the medals to prove it. Yet here, in this boat, he looked sick and terrified.

"What's wrong, Captain?" Williams asked. "Feeling seasick?"

"No," Colter said, clearly lying. "I'm fine."

The boat hopped a wave and came down with a smack, and Colter grabbed at the edges of the seat. A bead of sweat trickled down his jaw. Williams was more than a little amused. He'd never been fond of the jarheads, especially 11th Company. They were always the smuggest sons-of-bitches around, with their pansy tattoos and their illustrious history. "Pansy isn't an insult in Atnaia because of us," they always said. "Bravest of the brave." If they could see their CO now.

The boat pulled up alongside the Ventminio corvette and they were helped aboard. Williams approached the ship's commander as Colter caught he breath.

"Birthmire, I assume?" he said, stretching out a hand.
- Globalist - Humanist - Rationalist - Utilitarian - Centrist -
"Progress makes perfect." - Hegemon Thomas Wessich

Overview Factbook
PROUD MEMBER OF THE WESTERN ISLES
No NS Stats, No Problem

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:21 am

Birthmire accepted the hand shook firmly, smiling slightly, which was a rare occurrence for him. "Thank you, commander Williams. I would like to thank you for your magnificent work on the Bentler. I'm only sorry that your men had to die for that vessel."

He eyed the Captain, slightly amused, then looked back at the commander. "I'll show you to the conference room outside command. Ask any among these crewmen and they will provide anything you need. We appreciate your help on this issue."

"And captain," he said quietly, "our corpsmen have excellent remedies for sea sickness. Surprisingly enough, I often have the same ailment."
Last edited by Ventlimer on Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 11:34 am

"I'm not seasick," the Captain lied. Williams chuckled.

They went to the conference room and sat down. The Captain took a sip of water from a jug on the table.

"I understand we are still waiting on Covonantian and Miklanian representatives," Williams said. "But perhaps we can go over what we know so far?"

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:22 pm

"Of course!" Birth more said as he sat down at the head of the table. "Here is the report from command." He slid one of 3 folders to them. "We believe that the base is located just north west of covanant and only a few miles away from occupied territories. We Haven't confirmed this yet, but it is the best possible choice based on the trajectory of the patrol vessel you destroyed and operations on the other islands, which were mostly fisheries or small native villages." He glanced at the report. "Due to the kind of scheme we believe they are involved in, we believe these pirates to be heavily armed and well organized, and that the attack was most likely unsanctioned and committed by amateurs." He leaned back and studied at the officers. "I am very open to your own conclusions, though. Especially yours, Commander."

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:28 pm

Williams skimmed the report and passed it to Colter. "They were amateurs for sure. Tossing hostages before they had ensured their escape? Rookie move, in my opinion." Williams looked at Colter, who was looking better already now that he was on the larger ship.

Colter shut the report. "So as of now we have no actual recon on this base. That's our primary concern. Maybe Covonant has something, considering the proximity, but if they don't, we need to get that information ASAP. We can't just send teams blindly into the dark. We need as much info as possible, preferably numbers and armaments."

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:39 pm

"No matter the situation, the size of the island suggests no more than 2-300 people. However, I most certainly agree." He stood for a moment and activated a projecter onto a white board with a map of the area. "The VNS Lilith is located about 10 miles off the western coast of the island here." He marked it with a red dot. "Aboard is a recon team that can move in quietly and take thermal images with a drone. The only issue is that we suspect that the base is busiest at night, so it would be a risky operation." He sat back down. "But a lot less risky than a full assault on a base we know nothing about."
Last edited by Ventlimer on Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:10 pm

"What information do we have on the backers for these pirates? We've been alerted that this could be a front for more dangerous extremist groups," said Colter.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:18 pm

"Little to nothing. Everything we hope to learn, every speculation we have made, requires the information in the base." He looked down at his papers. "Gentlemen, this may be getting revenge or simply eliminating a mutually hated menace for you. But for ventlimer, this is going to be the single most significant operation our nation has completed since the end of the Tribal Wars. A lot is riding on this." He got up. "Until the others get here, we should relax a bit." He grabbed a bottle off the shelf. "Whiskey?"

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Ventlimer wrote:"Little to nothing. Everything we hope to learn, every speculation we have made, requires the information in the base." He looked down at his papers. "Gentlemen, this may be getting revenge or simply eliminating a mutually hated menace for you. But for ventlimer, this is going to be the single most significant operation our nation has completed since the end of the Tribal Wars. A lot is riding on this." He got up. "Until the others get here, we should relax a bit." He grabbed a bottle off the shelf. "Whiskey?"

"Not while on duty," said Colter. Williams agreed to a glass for the sake of being contrary to Colter.

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Covonant
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:19 am

Rear Admiral Petronious Comdore, Commandant with direct authority aboard the UCS Marlonicis (FG-1) Frigate arrived in close proximity to the Ventilimian vessel VNS Lakeland. Petronious was a able bodied senior member of the Union Navy and at the age of 55 exercised great tactical know how. On advised from the Prime Minister of the Union, Petronius was granted full authority to represent the Union's interest and collaborate with its foreign partners in the fight against piracy. Accompanying the Admiral was the deputy Chief Intelligence Officer of the Intelligence and Data Centre, Lucius Frith.

"I believe you must be Birthmire" greeted the Admiral as he disembarked the UCS Marlonicis for the VNS Lakeland.

"I must apologise for my late arrival, as I was awaiting orders from Coventry to embark on this mission. I hope you do not mind but I have exercised the liberty of inviting the deputy Chief Intelligence Officer of the Intelligence and Data Centre as I believe he may be of assistance. And to also note, I have been adequately briefed of the situation and motive for this meeting

Observing the Ventilimian vessel, the Admiral identified another party present. It was the Atnaian representatives.

"I see the Atnains are here. Are the Miklanians present as well?" Asked the Admiral.
TO APPLY FOR EMBASSY SELECT LINK: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=351134

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:30 am

"Not just yet, but we are glad to have you and your intelligence officer aboard." Birthmire motioned for them to follow. "We are already discussing things in the conference room."

When they arrived, Birthmire made introductions and motioned for them to sit. "Now, we were just discussing the need for intelligence on the suspected pirate base here," Birthmire pointed on the map. "I have a team on the Lilith, but it's a bit risky to have them walk in to recon when the base is busiest at night. Do you happen to have any other options or maybe even taken the initiative?"

Covonant
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:33 am

The Admiral joined in the conference room and greeted the Atnain representatives and then proceeded to talk on the issue.

"We have been tracking the situation from its inception a few days ago, and from our intelligence, we have gathered that the location is accurate as portrayed on the map. Due to the position of the island, any force making way in might be spotted beforehand leading to a failure of the mission, as we have reasons to believe that the area is patrolled by the pirates though in very small numbers and lightweight fishing boats that are armed, we are not sure of its armament. It is my understanding that if we would want to make an attempt at the base it would have to be swift, prompt and highly tactful where we could make use of the night darkness as aid to success." The Admiral stated.

The Admiral then proceeded to the deputy Chief Intelligence Officer to give a break down of what we might be up against.

"From the Covstar Satellite images, we have identified that the base is heavily fortified. I have brought satellite images to give us an idea of just how equipped these pirates are."

Lucius then took out of a brown envelope marked Confidential and showcased it to those present. it revealed a clear image of the Island and where the pirates operates mostly.

The Admiral then interjected

"If we want to make an attempt at having open conflict with hopes of destroying their operations we could make use of the eastern side of the island that is least developed and employ guerrilla tactics."

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:43 am

"We use the island's natural defenses against them," said Colter. "That hill is a natural wall, but its also a giant blind spot. We land our forces on the east side like you suggest and sweep in. I think our first move, though, is getting thermal imaging of the base, try and determine what sort of numbers we are dealing with."

"The Topaz is equipped with two Camcopter 100s," Williams said. "We can use their thermal imaging and get our intel that way, unless someone has a better suggestion."

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 9:58 am

"Yes, I agree with the Captain here. As the last incident with the Pirates showed, the thermal Units have good range." Birthmire looked to Williams. "Commander, could they be deployed from here? We are only about 50 miles away. If we had those images by morning, we could easily formulate a plan of attack."

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:17 am

Ventlimer wrote:"Yes, I agree with the Captain here. As the last incident with the Pirates showed, the thermal Units have good range." Birthmire looked to Williams. "Commander, could they be deployed from here? We are only about 50 miles away. If we had those images by morning, we could easily formulate a plan of attack."

"It's possible," said Williams. "They have a six hour operational time, with a top speed of 220 kilometers per hour and an operational ceiling of 15000 feet. They could go, get a few hours of imaging, and return without problem."

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:23 am

"Let's start there. I don't want to send a team in unless we have to." He stood and walked over to the laptop connected to the projector. He clicked the mouse and an image of the cargo hold of the SS Bentler shown upon the wall. In it, crates lined the walls. He selected another image, which were a ventminian soldiers hands holding open a crate of gold bars reflecting the LED light back at the cameraman. "Gentlemen, there were 20 crates of gold on that ship. That ship was heading here. The Pirates that attacked this ship did not know what they were attacking and probably would have been executed once they had returned." Birthmire sat down. "They know we are coming now. That they have lost the largest shipment of gold ever shipped in this region. Despite this, we need the facility intact. So, once we have the intelligence, I would suggest we find the option that takes the most people alive with minimum destruction to the facility."

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:30 am

Williams forwarded word of the plan to O'shea aboard the Topaz. "My crew will begin their sweeps immediately. We should receive preliminary thermal imaging in an hour. It should give us the numbers in the base, as well as the number of tubs in the waters surrounding it."

"It's hard to tell from the satellite imaging," said Colter, "but I'd expect there to be more than a hundred, maybe even two hundred, in the facility. Some might be non-combatants or hostages. We can't assume that they don't have some sort of indentured workforce, what with the size of the operation. Admiral, was there any known community on the island before this?"

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:38 am

"We believe there may have been a native village there numbering about 50-70 people." Birthmire suppressed the thought of disgust at his operation being complicated by natives of all things. "Remember- appearance matters. If they're there, we have to be careful." Birthmire thought.

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 11:45 am

Ventlimer wrote:"We believe there may have been a native village there numbering about 50-70 people." Birthmire suppressed the thought of disgust at his operation being complicated by natives of all things. "Remember- appearance matters. If they're there, we have to be careful." Birthmire thought.

"We have to assume, then, that the community on the island was co-opted by the pirates," Colter said. "In fact, you can tell. See how the base appears to be a converted walled village, not some sort of military facility? That makes this easier on one hand. Those buildings are not going to be designed with defense in mind. On the other hand, it also makes it politically difficult. we can't just go damaging the places people live and work. Also, those villagers are either pirates now, or being forced to work for them...or worse, in the case of the women and children."

"There's a benefit to the existence of a pre-existing community," Williams mused. "We should be able to pull up building information, historical information, all sorts of valuable intel. If we are very, very lucky, we might even be able to get blueprints and the like from somewhere. That being said, it's small, out of the way and old. Chances are we're not going to find some magic entrance like the sewers with a Google search. Hell, I'd be surprised if they have modern conveniences like sewers or telephones or electricity. I'd bet any money that whatever power there is is run by generators."

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:03 pm

Atnaia wrote:
Ventlimer wrote:"We believe there may have been a native village there numbering about 50-70 people." Birthmire suppressed the thought of disgust at his operation being complicated by natives of all things. "Remember- appearance matters. If they're there, we have to be careful." Birthmire thought.

"We have to assume, then, that the community on the island was co-opted by the pirates," Colter said. "In fact, you can tell. See how the base appears to be a converted walled village, not some sort of military facility? That makes this easier on one hand. Those buildings are not going to be designed with defense in mind. On the other hand, it also makes it politically difficult. we can't just go damaging the places people live and work. Also, those villagers are either pirates now, or being forced to work for them...or worse, in the case of the women and children."

"There's a benefit to the existence of a pre-existing community," Williams mused. "We should be able to pull up building information, historical information, all sorts of valuable intel. If we are very, very lucky, we might even be able to get blueprints and the like from somewhere. That being said, it's small, out of the way and old. Chances are we're not going to find some magic entrance like the sewers with a Google search. Hell, I'd be surprised if they have modern conveniences like sewers or telephones or electricity. I'd bet any money that whatever power there is is run by generators."

"You're right. But, any villagers there would probably fight to defend the pirates either due to assimilation, slaughter, or intimidation by the pirates," Birthmire stated. "It would be a good bet that if the villagers weren't killed, then they are working for the pirates and all people in the images you recover, Commander, will have to be considered hostile unless deemed otherwise by personnel on the ground." He stood and poured himself another shot of whiskey. "As for political qualms, we need the facilities intact anyways. However, we shouldn't allow a building to go unsecured just because it might be a civilian residence." Birthmire sat down and took a sip. "I'm not saying we roll grenades into every room and call it a day, just that we shouldn't risk our men's lives over a few civilians."

"Strategically speaking, though," Birthmire said slowly, "I think the best way for this to go down is by Special Operations teams doing most of the work, possibly rappelling down from the cliffs or more easily sneaking up from either flank. That way, they can neutralize most routes of escape, planting explosives on subs and sabotaging generators. After that, we could send in our marines. How exactly we do that is up to the info we get from your units, Commander."

Atnaia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atnaia » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:08 pm

Williams nodded. "It'll be several hours before we have that intel. We should also wait for the Miklanians before we do anything more for the moment."

Overview Factbook
No NS Stats, No Problem

Covonant
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:23 pm

The Admiral listened attentively to the plans and tactics being suggested and shook in agreement.

"From what our intel have shown is that the guarded facility is a communal village, we know nothing more whether it consist of mostly women and children, we can only assume, but in situations such as this we try not to base our judgments on assumption." implied the Admiral.

Lucius gesturing to speak "I propose we try to be clear of the territory, it would be damaging to the Union's image if we were engaged in the slaughter of innocent villagers forced to partake in scrupulous affairs. If we could get a low number of our capable special forces to get on the ground to provide more details as to the make up of what is inside that wall, it would aid in how we go about taking them on."

"Such proposition is risky, Lucius, but it might be beneficial if we could get someone on the ground, I am not sure if the thermal imaging will give us a make up of those in the walls. Whatever the case, for now, we will wait to see what the Camcopter 100s reveal. After which we can establish how we would go about taking them on. Just to reiterate that we have to make note of the constant patrol by the pirates, which our intelligence have assured. It is too far out from Covonant's territorial boundary, so a patrol ship from the Union would be in violation of international treaties if we were to venture so far.

Covonant
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Covonant » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:25 pm

Atnaia wrote:Williams nodded. "It'll be several hours before we have that intel. We should also wait for the Miklanians before we do anything more for the moment."

Lets hope the Miklanians arrive in due.

Ventlimer
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ventlimer » Wed Dec 30, 2015 4:52 pm

Covonant wrote:The Admiral listened attentively to the plans and tactics being suggested and shook in agreement.

"From what our intel have shown is that the guarded facility is a communal village, we know nothing more whether it consist of mostly women and children, we can only assume, but in situations such as this we try not to base our judgments on assumption." implied the Admiral.

Lucius gesturing to speak "I propose we try to be clear of the territory, it would be damaging to the Union's image if we were engaged in the slaughter of innocent villagers forced to partake in scrupulous affairs. If we could get a low number of our capable special forces to get on the ground to provide more details as to the make up of what is inside that wall, it would aid in how we go about taking them on."

"Such proposition is risky, Lucius, but it might be beneficial if we could get someone on the ground, I am not sure if the thermal imaging will give us a make up of those in the walls. Whatever the case, for now, we will wait to see what the Camcopter 100s reveal. After which we can establish how we would go about taking them on. Just to reiterate that we have to make note of the constant patrol by the pirates, which our intelligence have assured. It is too far out from Covonant's territorial boundary, so a patrol ship from the Union would be in violation of international treaties if we were to venture so far.

"Those patrols probably slow down during daylight hours, which would probably be the best time to get to the other side of the islands, then have them wait for nightfall for any activity."

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents