NATION

PASSWORD

The Emperor, 'Tis of Thee (MT, Semi-Open; TG for Entry)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:45 pm

Palace Ordosa
Ordosa, Izotza

Lady Evelyn, despite her better judgment, decided to bring up what was considered in the noble ranks of Ghant to be the great gossip topic. “…Is it typical for men like…General Hespernius to marry only once they have achieved such a high rank and station? Forgive me for asking…it is just that everyone talks about he and his…young bride, the Lady Olympia Domris. The subject has grown more pronounced with talk regarding young Alexander Domris and Lady Alazne Dain. Lord Bolvar doesn’t seem opposed to such an idea, if what I have heard is true. Do you know either the General or the young Count?”
“I wonder why such an interest?” said Uzzias, looking puzzled. He looked almost with regret at the end of his melon, yellowish pale fragments clining to the rind. “That was monstrous fine, I must say…well, General Hesperinus, I have met but really, he is quite exalted in rank and I do not know him personally. I know he comes from an old and aristocratic though untitled family close to the Royal House of Obed, I suppose you would call his family bannermen in the old days. Great heroes and favourites may ignore maxims, of course. He wanted to devote himself to his career. Also he was born with great wealth in land and investments, and his sister and brother devoted themselves to manging things rather well. His brother is an invalid but very clever, his sister, well women at that time devoted themselves mostly to running the family estate entirely, it’s a bit different now, so between them they kept the family very well off. He is known to be a bit abstemious in many respects—other than his polo and the odd…er, dalliance, quite modest as a soldier really. He is known to spread a good table for guest but himself is modest of means. It is an admired trait in our military, you see. And I think even in his polo he only keeps two ponies for that purpose. But I’m distracted. Anyway General Hesperinus knew that as a lieutenant-general he would have to be more settled, and have to focus on the possibility of retirement or sitting behind a desk a lot more, so he dcided to marry, I believe. The Domris family is ancient and is very close to the Dowager and the Heir in particular, so it was a very good match.
“Count Domris will probably have to decide if he wants to be a regular soldier after doing his time in the Cavalry Guards, but he has a good war record so far. I know him a little, mostly from polo. He’s a pretty good player. If he wants to stay in, he will have to earn his captaincy before it would be acceptable for him to marry. Of course he has excellent connections, so that may be accelerated.”

While Evethe context of the latter, causing her to place a hand before her face. “That…would be quite slyn didn’t necessarily relate to his first explanation, she certainly understood it within ad, to erode such traditions in the name of…consolidation for the sake of streamlining. We Ghantish prize our history and traditions so greatly, that such a thing would be seen as horrific. I shall hope that the King, Admiral that he is, sees the value of retaining separate regiments, and chooses to preserve them as such.” Evelyn drank some more of her tea, and subsequently continued with a calm expression on her face. “Most of the nobility in Ghant maintain their family estates, go into civil service or academia. Military service and the clergy are more often then not occupied by the common born. An interesting cultural contrast.”
Major Uzzias wiped his mouth free of the last of the melon juice. “Interesting. The common born also occupy positions as commissioned officers as well, that is more often than not?”
“He sounds like a brave man, good and true,” Evelyn commented with a smile. “Tis a shame then, what happened to Empress Tamara. Now the Emperor’s cousin of some higher degrees, Melissa, is Empress Consort to the Emperor at present. I would hope that the situation in the Delvian States has improved markedly since the days of Tamara, thanks to the efforts of the General.”

“it continues to improve, I believe. But he no longer has any responsibility over that area.”

“I think you hope for a proper bedwarmer for the upcoming winter, seeing as how in this part of the country, nobody should go without one.” Smirking, she offered Shinhusar the glass of wine she just poured, and then poured one for herself. “As for me, well I value safety and security. For while I may be a Queen, I am still a woman who longs for a King.”

Izolde brought the glass to her lips and let the wine quench her thirst, before her eyes returned to Shinhusar. “Hopefully I was able to address your concerns, David. The are perilous times we find ourselves in at present…so it is good to keep close the people you can trust.”

General Shinhusar’s rough hands gently touched her softer ones as she handed him the glass of wine. “You are a wise woman, Izolde. Just as I have wanted to know what was in your heart and mind—and find it something of a mystery still, though an intriguing one—I find what lies beneath your beautiful gown of great interest, and I wish to thoroughly know it from top to bottom.”

When each had sipped from their wine glass, he took (unless she resisted him) her glass from her hands and replaced it with her own, and drank from the glass that her lips had touched, looking into her eyes.

“Your customs are different from mine. I would not in any way damage your honour—or my own for that matter as I am the King’s man through and through. Tell me then, O wise Queen, what your advice is when it comes to bed warming. For I would have you—but only if it please you and serve our cause. For there are grater things at stake than mere wine and the cup of womanhood or the tower of manhood, delicious though they be. But if I can have all—then I will.”
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:59 am

“Little Talks”
Palace Ordosa
Ordosa, Izotza

“I wonder why such an interest?” The Major asked, appearing to be genuinely curious.

“…If I had to put my finger on it, I would say it is because of Alazne and Alexander Domris, the latter being the subject of much fascination among the nobility. Naturally, his sister factors into this curiosity, and by extension her life’s events. Age gaps of that…size are considered unpleasant among the nobility, so of course it would stand out for the cultural distinction. Among the Ghantar it is said that if you were old enough to know what you were doing with your life when the other person was born…it might not be considered…kosher.”

Major Uzzias finished his melon, enjoying it apparently, much to Evelyn’s delight, reflected by a hearty smile. “That was monstrous fine, I must say…well, General Hesperinus, I have met but really, he is quite exalted in rank and I do not know him personally. I know he comes from an old and aristocratic though untitled family close to the Royal House of Obed, I suppose you would call his family bannermen in the old days. Great heroes and favorites may ignore maxims, of course. He wanted to devote himself to his career. Also he was born with great wealth in land and investments, and his sister and brother devoted themselves to managing things rather well. His brother is an invalid but very clever, his sister, well women at that time devoted themselves mostly to running the family estate entirely, it’s a bit different now, so between them they kept the family very well off. He is known to be a bit abstemious in many respects—other than his polo and the odd…er, dalliance, quite modest as a soldier really. He is known to spread a good table for guests but himself is modest of means. It is an admired trait in our military, you see. And I think even in his polo he only keeps two ponies for that purpose. But I’m distracted. Anyway General Hesperinus knew that as a lieutenant-general he would have to be more settled, and have to focus on the possibility of retirement or sitting behind a desk a lot more, so he decided to marry, I believe. The Domris family is ancient and is very close to the Dowager and the Heir in particular, so it was a very good match. Count Domris will probably have to decide if he wants to be a regular soldier after doing his time in the Cavalry Guards, but he has a good war record so far. I know him a little, mostly from polo. He’s a pretty good player. If he wants to stay in, he will have to earn his captaincy before it would be acceptable for him to marry. Of course he has excellent connections, so that may be accelerated.”

“A very thorough explanation, Major, thank you. I do not doubt that the Dains will be back in Fineberg for a visit before long, and I assume that they will continue discussing such a prospect at that time.” Evelyn examined the bowl of fruit. “Would you like some more melon? I can have the servants retrieve some more, should you find yourself wanting.”

Major Uzzias wiped his mouth free of the last of the melon juice. “Interesting. The common born also occupy positions as commissioned officers as well, that is more often than not?”

“Correct, Major, although that was not always necessarily the case, but after the…last war, it has been,” Evelyn answered in earnest. “Becoming a commissioned officer is one way for common born folks to advance themselves and earn some notoriety, although it isn’t uncommon to see lords in that capacity as well.”

When Izolde passed General Shinhusar his glass of wine, she found herself surprised when his rough hands gently touched hers. They are so rough. Then again, what did she expect? “You are a wise woman, Izolde. Just as I have wanted to know what was in your heart and mind—and find it something of a mystery still, though an intriguing one—I find what lies beneath your beautiful gown of great interest, and I wish to thoroughly know it from top to bottom.”

Those words also took her by surprise, and while her eyes widened for a moment, they narrowed, and she smirked as well. “Well, David, you certainly wouldn’t be the only man to express such an interest.” Best play coy for now, she thought, although she certainly wasn’t disinterested.

After Izolde drank from her glass, Shinhusar took it and drank from the part that her lips had touched, looking her in the eyes as he did so. “Your customs are different from mine. I would not in any way damage your honor—or my own for that matter as I am the King’s man through and through. Tell me then, O wise Queen, what your advice is when it comes to bed warming. For I would have you—but only if it please you and serve our cause. For there are grater things at stake than mere wine and the cup of womanhood or the tower of manhood, delicious though they be. But if I can have all—then I will.”

Izolde’s face remain unphased, the devilish smirk and narrowed eyes still cast upon the General with savage amusement. “It is not my honor that I am concerned about, David. It is the condition of the alliance, and we must all do our part to restore it to an…upright position, to the satisfaction of the king. My advice when it comes to bed warming, then, would be to wait until it gets cold, and then find someone to share body heat with under the covers.”

The Queen leaned into the General’s ear, and continued while speaking more softly. “I could certainly do that, but not a moment before I know things are…in the clear, so to speak. I doubt Elijah is in any position at present to tolerate such dalliance between his general and the local queen…that could prove disastrous, should it get out at a time such as this, when much is at stake. Besides, while the snakes are my bannermen, their loyalty has always been dubious…I suspect they are Malibar’s creatures first and foremost. This is why I want Evelyn within my grasp. All the same, I would be a fool to consummate your desire here, in the palace of snakes, or during such a time as relations need to be on the mend without any…mounting upon the list of irritations…laid upon the King.”

Pulling back and taking the other wine glass, she shrugged and said, “time’s on your side, David. Patience…tis a virtue, and good things come to those who wait. Perhaps if the Emperor lived by those words, much trouble could have been avoided on his part…”

Inperiala Palace

Aoife laughed at the mention of nuclear weapons. "We don't! What's the point? Who wants a weapon that can destroy all life on this little planet?"

“Exactly. Only those that are willing to destroy the world, and those are very dangerous people indeed,” Alexandra nodded firmly, as she and her sisters were coming to a conclusion at breakfast.

After Amelia sat next to Aoife and asked her question, the latter observed that, "questions never hurt, not to worry." Much to Amelia’s delight, Aoife propped her elbow on the table, and gave the girl her undivided attention. "I was learning from an early age, I suppose, maybe a little younger than you but not by much, but thankfully I had never killed a man with a sword until earlier this year, and even then despite all my practice I still almost lost, so I don't really know if you could call me a sword fighter. But would you like to train at swordplay? Perhaps one day I could teach you a thing or two."

Nodding her head enthusiastically, Amelia practically jumped in her seat. “I would like that! I am pretty good too…I learned from Nathan and the Master-at-arms Ser Duncan Marmol. Maybe I can teach you a thing or two as well.”

Arietta shook her head as she stood up from the table. “That’s stupid. I’ve seen you fight,” she grilled her younger sister. “All you do is jump around and avoid getting hit. That’s not fighting.”

Your stupid,” Amelia countered. “Speed beats strength, and if I can tire out my opponent, then I can get em easily. Swings and thrusts of a sword don’t have to be strong, they just need to be quick”

While Arietta just shrugged and walked away, Charles got up and scurried away like a rodent finished eating from a plate of cheese, while Alexia and Alexandra arose softly, curtseying each to Aoife before excusing themselves at well. Caroline remained though, silent as she applied her favorite blackberry spread on her toast, and took small, methodical bites as she watched over her youngest daughter and Aoife. “I have thus far been unable to dissuade Amelia from taking up combat-at-arms training, and my son doesn’t respect my wishes that she refrain from such training. Proper ladies don’t play with swords…with all due respect. The last thing I want as a mother is to see my child come to harm over something that could have easily been avoided…”

The guards were in tow as the Emperor walked beside the Empress down the length of the hallway outside of the feast hall. The white sundress she was wearing was a simple yet beautiful thing, making her appear quite lovely, even with the swollen belly. The very sight of the woman, the one he spent the majority of his life chasing, dreaming of marrying her and eventually doing so, only to then in the end betray her for other women made Nathan’s guts wrench. Here she was, this woman with long black hair, fair unblemished skin and calm deep blue eyes, the girl of his dreams…and I couldn’t keep my vows to her.

He wanted to blame Thomas Lalery, Lavinia Nabal, and Queen Mara. It would have been easy for him to blame them for ruining his marriage…maybe even his life. Maybe he could have blamed his little sister Amelia, for urging him to play hide and go seek with her and their Charlie. Yet in the end, the only person he could truly blame was himself, for the way things unfolded. He remembered it all, specters of shadow and light replaying in his head. Walking in on the Count tityfucking Lavinia. He could have turned away before they noticed, or forget it ever happened. He could have just let Mara deal with it, and absolve himself of it. Now he was reaping the Patu of his actions, and he could feel it slowly unraveling, wearing away at him like the evening tide upon the sandcastle of his life.

Nathan wanted to take her hand, but he didn’t…the hesitation, the guilt stifling. So many conflicting feelings… it was quite overwhelming. All he could really do was just walk forward, heading in the direction that his wife wanted to go. He stayed quiet, merely walking forward, laboriously putting one foot in front of the other. After what seemed like a long time but was probably only a few minutes time, he found himself in an unfamiliar setting.

Sophia’s private study. It was a place that Sophia had taken over when she took up residence in the palace, and fitted the small, yet cozy room to become her personal space, where she could be alone and focus on clearing her mind, and on important business. The fireplace was bare and unlit, sitting silently along one wall, with trinkets and decorations on the mantle. There were bookshelves with many books about motherhood and statecraft, along with a few volumes concerning the histories of the various noble houses. The furniture was built for comfort, and she had her favorite instruments beside the large window that occupied the wall opposite the fire place. There was the giant harp, a piano, and Sophia’s own violin that her mother commissioned for her when she was a girl. The violin is her favorite instrument, and the one she plays the best, he knew.

The guards waited outside, leaving husband and wife alone in the room. The Empress sat down on a couch, and gestured for Nathan to sit down as well, while she poured them each a glass of apple juice from a pitcher on the coffee table. Unsure of where to sit, he eventually after some thought while standing decided to sit beside her, doing so slowly and carefully. She smelled of morning dew, her hair like fragrant silk. Perhaps out of habit, his hand crept behind her, and traced the fine dark hairs on the back of her neck.

“The Edomites are not pleased with you, Nathan,” Sophia said breathlessly after gasping.

“…What else is new?” Nathan smirked. “My existence displeases them. Ever since I ran afoul of Count Lalery at the Star Ball, they’ve had an axe to grind. It was reaffirmed when I walked in on that same Count tempting Lavinia Nabal into adultery, and Mara wanted to just let it slide because it was her cousin.”

“I know, I was there,” Sophia shook her head and snatched his caressing arm by the wrist with her own hand. “This is no joking matter. For once, I need you to take something seriously. You signed a treaty with the Edomites in blood, it is sealed in honor by sacred blood oath. You must uphold it. Otherwise the consequences could be severe.”

“What consequences?” Nathan asked defensively. “I have not violated the terms and conditions of the treaty in any way, shape or form! If you expect me to grovel to the Edomites and lick their assess, you will be disappointed. Besides, I won’t suffer their impetuous veiled threats either. I know how they operate, so do you. I was entertaining an esteemed guest when Amenmar saw fit to not only interrupt, but lecture me. The very same thing that Lalery chastised me for doing to him at the Star Ball. With them it’s a one way street, and that’s not a street I frequent.” In spite of himself, he went to touch her luxuriant black hair longingly.

“…Are you listening to yourself right now?” Sophia recoiled at his touch. “You and Aoife disrespected Amenmar and the Edomites, causing them to leave.”

Nathan shook his head. “No, I was talking to Aoife and Amenmar interrupted and lectured me about my duties as they concern you, as if I was naïve to them. The Edomites want to talk about disrespect? What about when Lavinia Nabal insulted, attempted to bribe me and then insulted me to my face? Where were the consequences then? No where to be found.”

“You are missing the point, Nathan, you disrespected me by dallying with Aoife so openly! If my father had been present, you wouldn’t have done that!”

The Emperor considered that a low blow. “If you were a loyal and supporting wife, maybe I wouldn’t feel the need to dally about.”

Sophia was clearly taken back by that, gasping in response. “That’s not fair, Nathan. That’s all I have ever been Is loyal and supporting! Something just…got in the way. What happened to us? To you and I? A year and a half ago you never would have sojourned with another woman, hell you would never have left my side.”

“What happened was you left my side,” Nathan spoke firmly, his hand son his knees as he turned to face her. “I demanded justice for the Count and Nabal’s actions, and you and Mara would give me none. You were always a woman of high moral fiber, Sophia…I never knew anyone that valued justice more than you. Yet you were willing to throw me under the bus and grant them impunity for the sake of advancing your family’s fortunes in New Edom…over your husband. You said for years that you loved me, and yet in that very moment, you had me begin to believe that it was all lip service.”

“It wasn’t,” Sophia countered with ferocity. “I have done so much for you, and you have taken it all for granted. Look at the state of the Palace before we were married. It was dysfunctional, and you know it was! For you I did everything, and I asked one thing, just one thing from you, and you couldn’t even do that. I have been faithful to you, loath as I am to admit temptation. What of you though? You are selfish…for years and years you clamored for me, saying all these flattering things about how you would love me, and yet then at the first sign of trouble, you do what? You cast me aside. I deserve better than that.” Nathan could tell that she was struggling to fight back the tears, but failed. The Empress of Ghant began to bawl.

His chest suddenly in a knot, he did the only reasonable thing, and pulled her close to him, embracing her tightly as his hands wrapped around her back, and her black hair in his face. “…I’m sorry, Sophia,” he mumbled as he could feel his heart sink into the depths of his chest. “I’m…so…sorry. I never meant for this to happen the way it did. When I spoke to Jocasta last night, I told her that I was sorry for what happened a year ago, and that if I could do it all over again…I would have done it differently. I would have let Mara deal with it.”

Sophia didn’t stop crying, although she rested her head against his chest, crying into his tunic. “…Help me fix things…please…”

“Sshh, it’s ok,” Nathan told his crying wife in a soothing tone as he stroked her fine black hair. “Relax, breathe…”

Taking deep breaths and closing her eyes, she laid down on the couch, resting her head in her husband’s lap. Thoughtfully, he took a nearby pillow sitting on the edge and slid it between his lap and her head for comfort. She laid on her side, facing away from his body as she sniffled, but stopped crying. He rubbed her swollen belly with his right hand, and ran his fingers through her hair with the other. “There is a solution,” she murmured quietly with eyes closed.

“…What is it?”

“Lady Moro and I met with Ambassador Amenmar and Prince Enoch today…they outlined a plan that would be mutually satisfactory to all parties involved.” Sophia spoke more coherently then, comfortable and unwilling to budge.

“What does it consist of?”

“…You will need to publicly display loyalty to the alliance, by making public statements that support allied policy. You will need to appoint a personal staff, consisting of a chamberlain, a secretary, a political advisor, a new guard commander and two aide de camps. Also regular, as in daily attendance to at least one policy meeting so that you might be better informed of going concerns.”

“…How tedious.”

“But necessary. There is more, of course. Alexander is stepping down as Ambassador to New Edom, and it is likely that Lord Alan Aldapa will be assuming his place. Meanwhile, Alexander and Princess Ava Shalamaneser are potentially going to court, to better bring your house into the fold. To this effect, when I was told during the meeting that King Elijah invited you to his hunting lodge in northern Bara, I suggested that Alexander accompany you.” Sophia brushed her husband’s hand that was near her stomach.

“…I see.” Nathan leaned his head back against the back of the couch, and looked up towards the ceiling. “What’s there for me to in the media?”

“Ikon Geophyiscal Company and the National Oil Corporation have expressed interest in a continuing business relationship up north…you could announce that.” Sophia took his right hand in hers, and held it against her stomach. “It is also time, I believe, to bestow honors upon the Edomite servicemen and women from Landstrider who participated in the Battle of Jehenna.”

“Yes, I have been meaning to do that, in addition to bestowing honors upon some others involved in that nasty business and in New Edom’s Civil War. Might as well make it a grand ceremony, and give everyone who’s deserving their due.”

“Fantastic. I recommend starting with King Elijah…writing him a letter affirming your agreement to follow through with what I discussed with Prince Amenmar and Prince Enoch. Then after that, we can go to the media and release a statement reaffirming support for the alliance.”

“…Don’t worry, Sophia, I got everything under control…” that was as far as he got until she asked him, “who do you think should serve as your personal steward?”

“…Cassandra, of course!” Nathan laughed at first. “She’s been clamoring to regain some of her role from before…us, back when she was Lady of the Palace. I assume you would be fine with that? Feel free to speak with her more about it while she's around.”

"I will speak to her when I have the time," Sophia sighed gently, still not having moved. "If that is what you want, I am willing to assent to it. She certainly is well versed in the sort of courtly manners that you need to emphasize better. I think she wants the same things I do."

And more. “Don’t worry Sophia, I will expedite this business once an opportune time presents itself. And my plans with Aoife…can’t forget about those either. "Should we return to the feast hall to entertain our guests?"

"No, they will be alright. Let's just stay here, if only for a bit longer." Sophia seemed at peace...complacent in having been placated. Nathan looked down at her with her eyes closed and a soft smile on her face. It caused him to grin widely.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Brytene
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Brytene » Mon Nov 16, 2015 6:12 am

Inperiala Palace
A barbed breakfast

Amelia responded with enthusiasm, and was even bold enough to sally a barb back at Aoife. Apparently she had learned a few things from the veterans of the castle, confidence included, but Arietta stood and slapped her down with a verbal barb. “That’s stupid. I’ve seen you fight. All you do is jump around and avoid getting hit. That’s not fighting.”

You're stupid,” the young girl countered quickly “Speed beats strength, and if I can tire out my opponent, then I can get em easily. Swings and thrusts of a sword don’t have to be strong, they just need to be quick”

Arietta shrugged and turned to walk away, as did Charles and his two sisters, but whilst they were still within earshot Aoife winked at Arietta and spoke loudly. "Not getting hit is the key to not dying. The last big strong man who failed to hit me with his sword, well, he wasn't quick enough, and look how that worked out for him."

Caroline cut across the chatter, her tones the calm but firm ones of a mother asserting her territory. “I have thus far been unable to dissuade Amelia from taking up combat-at-arms training, and my son doesn’t respect my wishes that she refrain from such training. Proper ladies don’t play with swords…with all due respect. The last thing I want as a mother is to see my child come to harm over something that could have easily been avoided…”

Aoife hid the disgust from her face, though she feared she had done it poorly. Brytene was relatively rare in that gender roles had been shrugged off relatively early in its history - if someone was good at something, they bloody well did it. The gift of a penis did not make a chubby white officer worker useful on the battlefield, nor was a hulking bearded giant to be denied the right to care for his own child if his ministrations were kinder and more gentle than his wife's. Sure, physiology meant that there were some imbalances in where proficiencies showed their numbers, but to not even have the chance to try, just because you were born with the wrong meat between your legs? The last man to insinuate that her skill at arms made her any less of a woman hadn't even had the courage to face her in the open, instead sending a lackey to do his work, and that lackey was now neither man nor woman, simply bones rotting in a long barrow.

"Of course, as a mother it is your right, and it is not my place to question your relationship with your daughter. But," here her eyes slid across to Amelia, fixing her with a piercing blue gaze, "if you still feel the same way when you reach the age of majority, you're welcome to get in touch, my Lady."
Brytene is: centrist, pagan, democratic, free-market
Imperalizt Russia wrote:Being on fire will affect shot placement

Socialist Mercanda wrote:Incumbent Blessed Brytene, who is rumoured to be one of the many lovechildren made by Amin and his 69,420,666 wives has retired and we thank him for his glorious service to this region! Glory!

Imperial Nalydya wrote:Spent too much damn time with the nations of Laptev. The old professionals...
The Obi-Wan of New Atlas
My IIwiki is no longer 100% canon
pls contain your salt

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:35 am

THE FEAST HALL
Inperiala Palace
Ghish
Ghant

LILISI

…I wouldn’t have minded him either way,” Prince Albert did reply with a quick glance towards Shang. He seemed almost apathetic in his observation of the character. How odd.

“The Woerjins? A bunch of usurpers to be honest but at least useful ones. I am guessing Molxue was the one you met,” Lilisi said.

“Yes, that was one of them,” Albert continued in between his bites of rare steak. “Certainly an ambitious lot.”

“And technically Hulang is my half-brother, my mother was Dibai Mei Jialazin… however she died delivering me... and my dead twin brother. A tragic tale but one which is not worth discussing now.” She moved over to the table and smiled. “To be honest I am more curious about, the family that survives here. I figured someone here would know a few things…let's start with what been going on in Ghant recently. I am sure there is much to tell.”

“…Not really,” Another prince laughed, seemingly amused. “About what you would expect. This House does this, that lady marries that lord, so on and so forth.”

“That, and what you have probably already heard,” Albert stated plainly, being rather correct in his assumption.

Lilisi nodded with the curious thought about this Prince Albert. He seemed to be one of the more interesting characters present here, one of at least some pretense of honour and he seemed to lack some aspect of fear… not it was different to fear. Lilisi couldn’t quite put her finger down on it, it was rather indomitable in his nature. He intrigued her quite a lot. “So, I assume you have heard of Nathan’s apparent lechery with the Queen of Brtyene. Rather unbecoming of a married man of course and politically inconvenient if my limited knowledge proves correct.”

HULANG

The Queen seemed to almost chackle in Hulang's ears upon the inquiry of nuclear weapons: "We don't! What's the point? Who wants a weapon that can destroy all life on this little planet?"

“Hezhihui and Jieke,” murmured Hulang with a grim seriousness to his voice as he gathered a collection of fruits; his father - Jieke - was the one who was disturbing fine with the idea of nuclear weapons. He was the one who ordered their use against GUIZI in 1984, to completely annihilate the island. He leaked some information stating that he’d be willing to use them against those who continued to resist, likely keeping the now leaderless. What was worse though is how he tried to teach them they a true master of diplomacy must be capable of extreme brinkmanship. Hulang kept his own opposition towards such policies being used carelessly rather hidden from the program.

“Exactly. Only those that are willing to destroy the world, and those are very dangerous people indeed,” Nathan's sisters seemed to come into agreement on the matter, one which conflicted quite dramatically with the consensus observed in the National Protection Force.

Amelia seemed to ask a question just our of Hulang's own hearing as he focused on the matter of deciding what to have for breakfast. "questions never hurt, not to worry." Hulang focused on his own meal in the mean time, hearing their dialogue as he did scavenge what remained. "I was learning from an early age, I suppose, maybe a little younger than you but not by much, but thankfully I had never killed a man with a sword until earlier this year, and even then despite all my practice I still almost lost, so I don't really know if you could call me a sword fighter. But would you like to train at swordplay? Perhaps one day I could teach you a thing or two."

Well she doesn't exactly need it I much. He thought as he began to decide to pick his desired fruits out of what was at the breakfast table.

He waited and listened to Amelia's reply and listened to her voice. “I would like that! I am pretty good too…I learned from Nathan and the Master-at-arms Ser Duncan Marmol. Maybe I can teach you a thing or two as well.”

“That’s stupid. I’ve seen you fight,” she grilled her younger sister. “All you do is jump around and avoid getting hit. That’s not fighting.” Another voice spoke in response to Anelia's enthusiasm, one which Hulang didn't recognise much and as such he paid it some small attention more than the others..

“Your stupid,” Amelia retorted rapidly. “Speed beats strength, and if I can tire out my opponent, then I can get em easily. Swings and thrusts of a sword don’t have to be strong, they just need to be quick”

Yet it is often better when you combine the two as I have been learning. The Ditor of Akai still found wielding weapons and blades like daos and jians particularly enjoyable exercise. Against an opponent however it allowed him to try and analyse how to win quickly. I should get Amelia a sword some time, if Caroline would permit it.

Hulang had decided now, he would take a few pineapple rings, an apple, and some grapes along side them - all favorites of his. As he got up however he noticed a few people missing from their places - including Charles much to his disappointment. It seemed only those who he had some bad blood with remained, Caroline included. He didn't like her attempt at correcting him. “I have thus far been unable to dissuade Amelia from taking up combat-at-arms training, and my son doesn’t respect my wishes that she refrain from such training. Proper ladies don’t play with swords…with all due respect. The last thing I want as a mother is to see my child come to harm over something that could have easily been avoided…”

The Queen Aoife did not take Caroline's words particularly well, it was strangely evident on her face like quite a few emotions of hers it seemed. It seemed to have struct a particular nerve within her.

"Of course, as a mother it is your right, and it is not my place to question your relationship with your daughter. But," she moved her eyes over to Amelia's swiftly, they were almost like ice in how they were so blue. "if you still feel the same way when you reach the age of majority, you're welcome to get in touch, my Lady."

Hulang returned to the table, continuing to overhear the conversation only to notice that Charles had left along with seemingly most of the table. Am I really that awkward? He mused to himself as he returned with his own opinion to tell. He moved towards them with a curiosity, if to voice his own opinion. He knew Amelia was uncomfortable with his own presence, he saw it in her body language. He knew he needed to address the matter of last night soon, and it would be... unpleasant to do so around Caroline he assumed: “I will like to add if I can, that Amelia was gifted enough to beat myself at my own game last year in a sparring match.” He recalled it particularly well and in great detail, how his attempt to try and throw the sword backfired on him. Testing a technique you've only heard about in the middle of battle wasn't very smart, Chang said at the next training season. To have Chang training him, he felt improved his own ability dramatically – the man was quite legendary for good reason he learned. He continued now facing towards Caroline in particular: “She has great potential if she so desires and I feel it would be a pity not to explore this. And there is some precedent for such a training to occur? Wasn’t... Belandra of Ghant particularly skilled with the blade?” He turned his head to face Amelia, trying to wear a smile although he found it somewhat dishonest. Please tell me this is repairable, to lose a friend like this wouldn’t be right.... “Even the Lazins had Empress Machiko ‘the black mantis’. She ruled in Emperor Tiao Li’s name while he was away in a cold land as he put it. She was skilled with the sword and in the many parts of the court. She was instrumental in keeping Lazinato intact overall.” Hulang neglected to mention the fact that Machiko was murdered by the rest of Tiao Li’s wives for being the center of attention at the court. “Overall, I think she’d be quite the promising student and an enthusiastic one. And while I cannot appreciate the feelings of being a mother, I can assure you that if Amelia here is left in good hands, I doubt any such injuries will occur.”

With that he turned his head towards his now estranged friend, now friendly presenting a smile with his eyes a lighter shade of rose pink than crimson, his eyes however like always told his thoughts. It was a strange thing for Hulang, it was… almost apologetic almost.
Last edited by The IASM on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:16 pm

The Scarlet Citadel

"Wow, thank you," Jess said to the server with a smile. She seemed to bounce back to her more bubbly demeanor. "That all sounds great, and I mean I'd be up for whatever if you had some other ideas too. One second..." she said, briefly fishing her phone out of her bag and snapping a picture of the plate. She then cut off a piece and savored it a moment. "It's excellent, nice and tender," she finally replied to him about the steak.

Pushing a fleeting thought of Dylan from her mind when he asked about a boyfriend, Jess replied "I think I get what you're trying to say. I'm single, and I'd love to go to dinner. Where should we go?" It had seemed so simple yesterday, just go to lunch with him, talk about a vacation. Now she was here, seriously thinking about becoming a married man's mistress. The word didn't even sound right in her head as she rolled it around.

"So... one thing, you're married, right?" she asked a little apprehensively, glancing at his ring. She didn't want to blow it, but she couldn't put it off any longer. "Do you guys have like, an open relationship or something? Because if you do that's totally cool. I guess what I'm trying to ask...is this going to be a big deal?"
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:56 pm

The Scarlet Citadel

Prince Enoch said, "I'm married to Princess Desiree of Gavinium Magnus. She is...a good woman, and very attractive, of ancient blood, and the marriage was entirely a political one. The Princess has many responsibilities in her own country, and is often focused on her own family issues, which are...sometimes serious. But she is also very understanding. Recognizes that this was a political match, for the sake fo making our nations friendly in relations and being for the general good.

'So yes, it is an open marriage. What I would like would be to enjoy your companionship and have you enjoy mine, and to be your lover,' his voice softened a little, and he smiled at her warmly, "Because I think I liked you on sight and every moment i spend with you I am enjoying your company more. I find you lovely, and I would like to treat you tenderly and yet have fun with you. I would like you to feel in the same way with me.

"If you do not at some point, I would like you to be honest with me about it. There is enough deception and cruelty in the world as it is. In turn, I will offer you my protection, and as much of my provision as you desire to receive and as is appropriate given my family responsibilities. Such a relationship--depends on deep respect as well. There is a biblical, Morality Act principle which I fall on, and take seriously." He took her hand a moment and said gravely, "But you said you come from...a respectable but middle classed family in central Adiron? I think it would be to our mutual benefit to be discreet, though of course I shall never act ashamed of you at the same time. That would be unthinkable. How could anyone? And I would also finally, want you to be ready to pursue your own ambitions--with my help of course--and fly your own way when the need is strong in you to do so. I have given you much to think of I'm sure, and i want you to make no decision now, but to talk again of this when we have dinner."

"Ah" he wiped his mouth. "Dinner," he left most of his plate untouched, though he had eaten most of the meat and vegetables themselves, but left most of the carbs there. "I thought we would dine in my hotel room suite, if that is alright with you. I found that the hotel has a chef who knows good Roman style cooking."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:11 am

Palace Ordosa
Ordosa, Izotza

As the major and the lady were chatting, Count laban returned, and said, “Exccuse any interruption,” as he briskly walked into the hall, his boot heels clicking, “I must speak to the General.”

“He’s that way,” said Major Uzzias. “I’ll buzz him, let him know you’re coming.”

“Ah, indeed,” said Count Laban, who bowed to Lady Evelyn. “Thank you so much for your hospitality. I hate to interrupt the serenity of this place with our rough soldier’s ways…”

Major Uzzias when he had gone said, "i'm afraid we'll have to be going soon, but it has been lovely receiving your hospitality and meeting with you. I hope we will meet again and enjoy another conversation."

Meanwhle, General Shinhusar had said with asmil, “I can be very patient indeed. A good general is aware of when to attack, when to defend, when to hold back, and when to maneuver, well you get the idea. I’m sure there’s sme pithy northern way of putting it too that you’d excel at without losnig a touch of your elegance and grace.”

He regretted and was relieved by her respone. There were headier things than wine and sex afoot, and he could have those regardless of who the person was. Then his phone buzzed, and he checked it. “Ah, Count Laban no doubt has a report to make.”

Shinhusar glanced at Izolde and said, “This will be something we both want to know…”

Count Laban, entering at Shinhusar’s instruction, said, “We are advised that the Empress met with the Emperor privately. The…lady from Brytene broke her fast with the Emperor’s family. It is likely that the Emperor agreed to our terms.”

Shinhusar said, “Good. Queen Izolde: between myself and our fleet in the north, no one will be able to fart in Ghish without us knowing about it. We’ll make sure that the Emperor gets safely from Ghish to Fineberg, and then can meet with the King.”

Gish

Prince Amenmar had drawn up a proposal which was handed over to Lady Sara Moro discreetly. It explained how the infrastructure surrounding the Emperor ought to work.

Each official assigned to directly report to the emperor would report to the head of state every day, with occasional days off. A steward or chamberlain would be the senior official , responsible for coordination. However a politicial adviser would be responsible for acting as a liaison to the council and the prime minister, would be responsible for being up to date on all political issues of the day. The press secretar would guide the emperor in public statements including speeches, and a social secretary would coordinate the emperor’s private meetings. A new guard commander would have more up to date security procedures and coordinate with all necessary officials to protect the head of states movements at all times.

Each official would have deputies and junior staff who reported to them in turn. The emperor would become less idle. He would become more preoccupied with with affairs of state—he wold be gviven daily briefings in the affairs of the day, would inspect the imperial guard once a week, would visit an important area of industry, government or military operations once a week. There would be a more in depth look at matters executive, legislative and judiciary on a weekly basis as well.

On a bi-monthly basis, the emperor would be encouraged to have a meal or a meeting of some kind with a foreign dignitary, often an ambassador, in particular demonstrating favour towards those who were allies or important trading aprtners.

The emperor would also be encouraged to attend important sporting events and social events security and necessity permitting.

In short, the idleness would cease. Even if the emperor had little interest in governing, he wold at least appear to do so. Amenmar felt that this was not too onerous a schedule. In all these effors, the New Edomite embassy would be the guide and friend, and would often be present at these meetings, and all that went on at them. One ay or another.

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:45 am

“High Honors”
Palace Ordosa
Ordosa, Izotza

“Excuse any interruption,” Count Laban said upon his return to the great hall. “I must speak to the General.”

“Welcome back, Count,” Evelyn smiled as she jumped to her feet, but doing so gracefully…as much as I could anyway.

“He’s that way,” said Major Uzzias. “I’ll buzz him, let him know you’re coming.”

“Ah, indeed,” said Count Laban, who bowed to Lady Evelyn. “Thank you so much for your hospitality. I hate to interrupt the serenity of this place with our rough soldier’s ways…”

“You are most welcome, Count Laban,” Evelyn curtsied to him in the proper fashion. “It is quite alright.” Then the Count was off to speak to the General, leaving Major Uzzias and Lady Evelyn alone once more.

“I'm afraid we'll have to be going soon, but it has been lovely receiving your hospitality and meeting with you. I hope we will meet again and enjoy another conversation."

“It was an honor hosting you here, and the pleasure of meeting likewise so. Until next time, Major,” Evelyn smiled and properly curtsied again.

Meanwhile, Izolde listened to General Shinhusar muse of his merits. “I can be very patient indeed. A good general is aware of when to attack, when to defend, when to hold back, and when to maneuver, well you get the idea. I’m sure there’s some pithy northern way of putting it too that you’d excel at without losing a touch of your elegance and grace.”

“Urrun helduko da, baratz doalarik, geratu gabe doana,” Izolde answered gently between sips of wine. “Far will reach, going slowly, one who goes without stopping.”

Shinhusar’s phone rang, and the General examined the incoming call. “Ah, Count Laban no doubt has a report to make.” Then he glanced at Izolde and said, “this will be something we both want to know…”

Count Laban was not long to enter the room where Izolde and Shinhusar had been meeting. “We are advised that the Empress met with the Emperor privately. The…lady from Brytene broke her fast with the Emperor’s family. It is likely that the Emperor agreed to our terms,” Laban explained.

Izolde remained quiet, but pursed her lips. Terms…what terms? She would find out, soon enough…

Shinhusar replied. “Good. Queen Izolde: between myself and our fleet in the north, no one will be able to fart in Ghish without us knowing about it. We’ll make sure that the Emperor gets safely from Ghish to Fineberg, and then can meet with the King.”

“Wonderful news, General.” Izolde only called him David when they were alone…she didn’t want to be seen as being too informal with him around his subordinates. “I am sure the Emperor is quite eager to get out for a bit. I hear the weather in Fineberg this time of year is quite lovely…”

Inperiala Palace

“So, I assume you have heard of Nathan’s apparent lechery with the Queen of Brtyene. Rather unbecoming of a married man of course and politically inconvenient if my limited knowledge proves correct,” Lilisi observed to the assembled Gentries. Their collective reaction was contemptuous, to say the least.

“I have heard of it,” Albert said after setting his wine goblet on the table with a thud. “I have also heard of sirens that sit on rocks in the Sea of Ghant and tempt sailors with their songs, in order to lure them into the water. This is supposedly apparent to the pub patrons in the docks, yet I did not see it, nor hear the song myself. Therefore I don’t believe it.”

“...And would you say it is becoming of a Princess of Akai to spread court gossip about the Emperor with his own family?” Prince Mathias wondered. “That could prove politically inconvenient as well…”

Cassandra explained that, “the veracity of these claims are still being assessed. There’s a lot that people don’t know, and in that vacuum exists the propensity for assumption, misinterpretation and misunderstanding.”

"Not getting hit is the key to not dying. The last big strong man who failed to hit me with his sword, well, he wasn't quick enough, and look how that worked out for him," Aoife countered Arietta’s snipe at Amelia.

Arietta lamely responded by say, “that’s like saying not getting hit is the key to winning a boxing match. It causes boxers to just dance around and avoid getting hit, rather then, you know, actually fighting.”

“That is the key to winning a boxing match,” Amelia sniggered. “You don’t want to get hit…at all. Otherwise you could lose.”

“Yeah, because boxing matches where nobody gets hit are so much fun to watch. Whatever.” This time the Red Princess was well and truly gone, not wanting to stick around.

“My sister is so stupid,” Amelia told Aoife. “She doesn’t think, like at all.”

After Caroline interjected and said her peace, Aoife seemed slightly perturbed, by Amelia’s reckoning. "Of course, as a mother it is your right, and it is not my place to question your relationship with your daughter. But," her eyes shifted from Caroline to Amelia, "if you still feel the same way when you reach the age of majority, you're welcome to get in touch, my Lady."

Caroline’s lips grew taut at that. “Having said that, your Grace, I believe that if one is going to do something, they ought to learn how to do it right. While I do not approve of Amelia playing at swords, I would have her be trained properly in the craft should she…insist upon practicing it.”

Hulang eventually returned with some wares, when the table had been whittled down to just Caroline, Amelia and Aoife. “I will like to add if I can, that Amelia was gifted enough to beat myself at my own game last year in a sparring match.” Then he addressed Caroline directly. “She has great potential if she so desires and I feel it would be a pity not to explore this. And there is some precedent for such a training to occur? Wasn’t... Belandra of Ghant particularly skilled with the blade?”

“Belandra was a half-northern Princess with a Jendebasa grandmother who lived in the Middle Ages. Hardly relative to our present set of circumstances,” Caroline was unamused by the example. “And while Princess Valkyria serves as a better, more modern example, she was in a wartime situation. I see no all-consuming Civil War in Ghant that necessitates heroic maidens to bear steel against marauding northerlings.”

The Ditor turned his head to face Amelia, offering her a smile that made her feel uneasy. “Even the Lazins had Empress Machiko ‘the black mantis’. She ruled in Emperor Tiao Li’s name while he was away in a cold land as he put it. She was skilled with the sword and in the many parts of the court. She was instrumental in keeping Lazinato intact overall.”

“How nice to refer to events eight-hundred years old,” Caroline began to speak sarcastically. “Prince David of Ghant was spared death from Spring Sickness by leeching. Should we go back to doing that as well?”

“Overall, I think she’d be quite the promising student and an enthusiastic one. And while I cannot appreciate the feelings of being a mother, I can assure you that if Amelia here is left in good hands, I doubt any such injuries will occur,” the Ditor continued.

“…As I told Queen Aoife while you were away from the table,” the Princess Dowager added, “if she is intent on doing something such as that to the degree that she seems to be, then she ought to at least do it right. This is why while I disapprove of her doing it, I do not stop her from training at arms.”

Man, this sucks, Amelia thought as she slouched over in her seat, her head resting in her hands. “Your Grace, we should get out of here,” Amelia urged Aoife. “When you are done, that is. Assuming mother doesn’t mind…”

Caroline’s eyes fixed themselves upon Aoife, and then she looked at Hulang, before quickly bringing them back to the Queen. “Not at all. Be my guest.”

“…I really should return to the feast hall,” Nathan insisted while his pregnant wife rested in his lap. “My mother and sisters are not like to be kept waiting…especially mother. You know how impatient she can become…”

“They will be fine, and they understand,” Sophia cut him off gently. “What’s that saying of yours? Strike it while the iron is hot. Go on, write to Elijah, and I shall help you. Then we need a press release supporting the Northern Ghantish Development Project and we can announce the reward recipients there.”

That got Nathan thinking. Best to make it comprehensive. “I think we should award Edomites and Ghantar alike for that business in Jehenna and in New Edom against the rebels. Plenty of worthy names, I think.”

“Would you mind typing up a list of recipients?” the Empress asked.

“Yeah, I can do that. Laptop on your desk?”

“Yes, feel free.”

“…You’re going to have to move first.”

Sophia sat up on the couch, while Nathan got up and walked over to the desk. He picked up the laptop and brought it to the coffee table, setting it down carefully and opening it up. He thought about it, and began typing names, and what awards he thought they were worthy of receiving.

“…You want to give Captain Rosa Sharon the Golden Dragon?” Sophia gasped. “Only one woman has ever earned that!”

“Princess Valkyria, I know,” the Emperor nodded. Her reservations made sense…putting Rosa Sharon in the same company as Valkyria was a tall order, as the latter was often ranked among the greatest, if not the greatest female heroes in the history of Ghant. The second daughter of Emperor Nathan II who rallied the Imperial Guard during the Battle of Ghish, for which she became the hero, and then defeating foe after foe, man and woman alike, from Desidera of Dakmoor at the Black Gate to Izaro Dain at the Battle of Beltza. In short, she led Imperial forces to victory in the eastern theatre of the war as if it were playing hopscotch, is how Nathan would describe it. “But Captain Sharon saved my life, and shielded my body with her own. If that isn’t going above and beyond, then I don’t know what is.”

“Fair enough...you want to give Cassandra the sash?” Sophia seemed surprised, if not dismayed.

“Yes. She has served the throne admirably for almost ten years now, and was instrumental in organizing the Ghantish Expeditionary Force to New Edom. She has earned the sash.”

“….As you say.” Looking over the finished list, she nodded in approval. “Very well, that seems comprehensive enough.”

“Time to compose these documents now…” Please, for the love of the Gods, let this not get fucked up…

Nathan IV
Emperor of Ghant, King of the Ghantar, Lord of Ghish and Protector of the Realm

To: Elijah IV, King of New Edom
CC: Prince Amenmar Ugulin, Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain
Subject: Concerning current relations
Encryption: Medium

Your Grace,

Oftentimes during the course of our service as Heads of State, special cares must be given in order to ensure the proper maintenance of relations between allied nations. While the ties between Ghant and New Edom are young, they are strong, already tested by tribulation, and tempered by blood. Yet, I would be remiss had I not expressed some degree of dissatisfaction with my own personal conduct as it pertains to the alliance.

I would first like to apologize to you for my conduct during the Midsummer Ball. The course of such an evening can often get the better of me, especially when there is a combination of good drink and pleasant company. All the same, I conducted myself in such a way that is unbefitting of a man of my station, and the offense I have given to our allies of New Edom totally unacceptable. While I am sorry for this, I believe wholeheartedly that offering apologizes and excuses would ultimately be of little to no consequence. What I intend to do is to address the problem at its roots, and resolve it with some care taken to ensure that such incidents are not like to happen again.

The first thing I intend to do is to appoint a personal staff that will help see to the day-to-day affairs of my life as Emperor, with these appointments being made after review by the Empress, Ambassador Prince Amenmar and Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain. I intend to meet with them to discuss appointing this personal staff, and I also fully intend to attend meetings of state regularly with this personal staff in tow, to demonstrate that I take my duties as Emperor seriously.

I also intend on publishing a press release supporting the alliance more openly, and announcing the northern development project, in addition to praising the conduct of General Shinhusar at Landstrider AFB. In it I will also name recipients of Ghantish chivalric and military honors, for those of your countrymen that have distinguished themselves here in Ghant. For your benefit, here is the list of the Edomite recipients:[/align]

Order of the Golden Dragon
Captain Rosa Sharon, Teman Rangers

Order of the Direwolf
(Those Edomite soldiers who were involved with my extraction from Jehenna)
Lieutenant Lucius Capel, 16th Mounted Light Infantry, New Edomite Army
Captain Dario Avare, 16th Mounted Light Infantry, New Edomite Army
Lieutenant Marietta Ludi, New Edomite Army Hospital Corps

Order of the Imperial Eagle
General David Shinhusar
Prince Amenmar Ugulin

Order of Zeal
Major Joseph Hashoreth, National Air Force Search and Rescue
Count Jonas Mangrim

It has also come to my attention that there is talk of a possible match between my cousin, Prince Alexander, and your sister Ava. I am willing to vouch for my cousin, who has an impeccable character and represents our Imperial House and country well. While he is stepping down in his capacity as Ambassador to New Edom, it is likely that his successor shall be Lord Alan Aldapa.

Lastly I accept your invitation to join you at your northern Bara hunting lodge eagerly with and with excitement. I would also suggest that my cousin Alexander accompany me with your approval, in the event that you would strongly consider such a match as previously mentioned.

Again, I apologize sincerely for the insults imparted upon you and my wife by my personal conduct at the Midsummer Ball, and that myself, and the Empress are both taking proactive measures to provide me with stronger council and guidance moving forward, with Edomite help.

Sincerely,

Emperor of Ghant

Ghantish Imperial Press Release

To the people of Ghant,

I am excited to announce a prosperous arrangement with the Allied States of New Edom concerning economic development in northern Ghant. The Northern Ghantish Development Project will produce jobs, generate wealth and precipitate infrastructure growth in areas of the country that could benefit immensely from sustained investment. If our alliance with New Edom has taught us anything, it is that New Edom is a nation of honor that rewards its friends, and no nation makes a better friend that Ghant.

In addition, I would like to announce the recipients of Ghantish chivalric and military awards, given to Edomites and Ghantar that have demonstrated exemplary service over the past year. Congratulations to the following:

Order of the Golden Dragon
Captain Rosa Sharon, Teman Rangers

Order of the Direwolf
(Those Edomite soldiers who extracted the Emperor from Jehenna)
Lieutenant Lucius Capel, 16th Mounted Light Infantry, New Edomite Army
Captain Dario Avare, 16th Mounted Light Infantry, New Edomite Army
Lieutenant Marietta Ludi, New Edomite Army Hospital Corps

Order of the Imperial Eagle
General David Shinhusar
Prince Amenmar Ugulin
Order of Ghant
King Jori of Jehenna
Perun Penagarikano
Lord Deziel Kondan
Lord Alaric Dain
Prince Olyvar of Thule
Lord Alan Aldapa
Lord Benedar Zama
Princess Christopher of Ghant
Lord Ardo Anaba
Lord Maron Masudi
Lord John Tograma
Lord Michael Kedarra

Order of the Charge
Lord Desmond Hyla
Ser Rolli Ahateremu
Ser Lyl Bogardan
Lord Marcus Haro
Argider Lozoya
Lord Bogar Dyn
Lord Daryn Esku

Order of Zeal
Major Joseph Hashoreth, National Air Force Search and Rescue
Count Jonas Mangrim

Order of the Laurel

Gaudentia Ovida
Princess Kristen of Vorindun
Princess Josephine of Jehenna
Princess Jessica of Jehenna
Princess Jana of Jehenna

Order of the Sash

Princess Cassandra of Ghant

Congratulations to the recipients of these awards, and I look forward to bestowing them at Inperiala Palace during a ceremony coming soon.

Thank you,

Emperor of Ghant, King of the Ghantar, Lord of Ghish and Protector of the Realm
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:08 am

When Enoch described his marriage, Jess' apprehension seemed to evaporate. His wife sounded like a fine woman who was open to, maybe even aware of, what Enoch was doing, was probably free to do the same thing herself. They didn't love each other, they only married for politics. Both of them were preoccupied with their work, probably staying in different countries most of the time. It occurred to her that Enoch was probably lonely.

She felt her heart racing as he spoke, even trembling a little. In a way it didn't seem real. How could this be happening to her? Her eyes softened, looking into his eyes with a warm, affectionate smile. "I'd love that...I want to get to know you better, to have fun together," she said in a soft voice, squeezing his hand gently as she spoke. After that she couldn't help the bright smile on her face.

Playing with her hair a bit, she finally blushed, covering her face a bit with her hand. "I almost can't believe you would do all this for me..."

She still hadn't finished her steak, distracted by the conversation and savoring each bite. Most of the vegetables were gone by now. "Dinner at your room sounds good. Did you want to go out tonight too or just hang out? You pick," she said with a smile. She then bit her lower lip and leaned in close to whisper to him, bending over the table a bit. "And what would you like me to wear, sir?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:16 am

The Scarlet Citadel

Enoch's phone buzzed. He ignored it. She was leaning over the table like a human versino of a symphony or a poem, her soft hair brushing around her face in delicate russet tendrils, her bosom invitingly full and womanly, her mouth so inviting, and he felt warmed byher as even the wine and sizzlign meat had not.

The hand in his, soft as cream, rested well, and he said, "I would like you to wear a pretty dress that suits you well. I enjoy scarves on my lady too. Do not wear too much jewerlry; I find that a woman should not be over dressed as a sauce is over done. The rest," he winked at her. "Surprise me for later. And you would like to go out, mm? What kind of thing do you like to do when you are out on the town?"

Enoch casually tucked a strand of red hair behind a shapely ear as he talked to her, let the back of his hand, strong from sailing and polo, brush her cheek gently before resting it on the table again.
Last edited by New Edom on Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 am

The Scarlet Citadel

Jess was welcoming to his touch, smiling and giving a little excited sigh as he played with her hair. For her part, under the table she gently ran the tip of her foot up his calf. "I'll do my best, I've got something I think you'll like," she said with a smile.

She then held up a teasing finger. "Ah, I said you pick. I wanna know what you like, I was wondering if you had any ideas. If there was a nice bar somewhere with some good music or a good crowd, or a club that we could cut loose, maybe we could go for a bit. But I don't want to stay out all night...honestly, just a nice quiet night in might be nice after yesterday, even though I love dancing."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:49 am

The Scarlet Citadel

Prince Enoch said, "I enjoyed dancing with you last night, and I can tell you are a dance-loving woman, which delights me. But tonight i really want some time for us to get know one another. no distractions, nothing to get our blood up so much that we are caught up in the moment with lots of other people. So i'd like a quiet dinner in my hotel suite, and then..." he he sipped his wine and ignored another buzz from his phone. "I would like to make love with you if we are both so inclined. And I think that if you are also so inclined we can then spend the night together." He grinned. "We can see what it's like to wake up together, that's always the big test for me if a relationship will work or not!"

Enoch throughout this looked at her warmly and with affection, for he had decided he liked her very much already, and enjoyed her attractiveness, her boldness, her charm and her hints of self consciousness that were not quite gone from her demeanor. She was intelligent without being an intellectual--such people bored him--and seemed enterprising, but not greedy. There was more about this last he wanted to explore of course. Would this be a dalliance, a fling or a long term mistress? He was curious to find out.

"Just a moment," he said, before she could respond. He checked his phone and phone and then pushed one of the screen buttons, said clearly, "I'll be there in half an hour. Advise staff of details."

"Sorry, it was the embassy. You have my full attention."

The New Edomite Embassy

"Prince Enoch says he'll be here in half an hour," said Inyanna Ninduk to Prince Amenmar.

"Good," said the New Edomite ambassador. "You're to be congratulated, Captain sharon, you're going to be given one of Ghant's highest military awards."

""I'm deeply honoured, Excellency," said Captain Sharon modestly.

"Some think you should have been assigned to a penal battalion for saving him," said Prince Amenmar with a smirk. "I don't agree, of course."

The two women laughed, Sharon a bit awkwardly.

"Anyway, you will accompany His Majesty to New Edom," said Amenmar. He felt distaste for this part of the situation--but there it was, he had to be realistic about who he was dealing with.

Following this he had a typically curt and terse conversation with King Elijah over the phone on a secure line. He missed dealing with Perrin Pahath-Moab in such matters. Some had felt that the late President of the Council was too enigmatic and too hard to understand, he had never felt that way. He certainly did about His Majesty Elijah IV, who was a cipher.

Regardless, Amenmar then sent two messages out. The first was one advising Sophia that he would like to meet with the Emperor and herself at the earliest opportunity, and advised that the Emperor should under no circumstances see Aoife unless the Bryton woman (as he had come to thnk of her) specifically requested to see him, and then it should not be alone. This could esasily be controlled by referring to the emperor's busy schedule on matters of state.

He explained in the message to Sophia that he and Prince Enoch would be relaying the King's response directly to the Emperor.

Brytene
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Brytene » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:52 pm

Inperiala Palace

Arietta stayed to offer a lame retort but quickly fled, most likely realising the inane nature of what she had just said. Amelia rolled her eyes as she turned back to Aoife, her judgement quite plain as she named her sister 'stupid', but just then they were interrupted by this 'Ditor' fellow, who had just returned with a laden plate.

What followed was a bitey conversation between Caroline and the foreigner, as the man defended the young lady's training and cited several historical examples, to be met with scorn by the Princess Dowager. Eventually Amelia cut through it, asking if Aoife wanted to 'get out of here', the desperation plain in her voice. Caroline turned baleful eyes on Aoife before glancing away, muttering her consent; “Not at all. Be my guest.”

Aoife nodded with a bright smile, and stood. Nathan was nowhere in evidence, indeed it seemed he had most likely already been waylaid and perhaps muzzled by the Empress, judging by the amount of time he'd already been gone, and so why not go with this young girl?

"Lead the way, my Lady." she said brightly, bowing goodbyes to those remaining at the table.

ugh sorry for the short/shite post. Very busy week this week, in-laws are over
Brytene is: centrist, pagan, democratic, free-market
Imperalizt Russia wrote:Being on fire will affect shot placement

Socialist Mercanda wrote:Incumbent Blessed Brytene, who is rumoured to be one of the many lovechildren made by Amin and his 69,420,666 wives has retired and we thank him for his glorious service to this region! Glory!

Imperial Nalydya wrote:Spent too much damn time with the nations of Laptev. The old professionals...
The Obi-Wan of New Atlas
My IIwiki is no longer 100% canon
pls contain your salt

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:45 pm

The Scarlet Citadel

Jess' cheeks flushed. Luckily Enoch's phone rang, giving her a chance to think for a couple of seconds. This was going so fast. They had only met yesterday. Wasn't this...slutty? No, she shouldn't use that word. They were consenting adults, and neither of them were looking for some cheap hookup. He had said if they were inclined, he wasn't forcing her. She could change her mind.

At the same time he had teased a burning desire out of her, one she wasn't sure how to feel about. She had never been with someone as genuinely bold and self-assured as him. The big-talking, swaggering macho types always talked a big game but were inevitably a letdown in some matter. Enoch didn't bluster or boast.

"Yes..." Jess finally said breathlessly, reaching over and squeezing his hand. "That sounds lovely. I can't wait." She smiled tenderly at him, her eyes soft, her demeanor almost shy.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:18 pm

The Scarlet Citadel

The simple act of holding a hand seemed to please him. He ran his fingers over her hand a moment, then held it in his own, and said, "Good, I'm very glad. It has been wonderful meeting you, and I'm looking forward to getting to know you very much." His dark brown eyes gazed into ehrs a long moment, but then he became aware fo someone approaching their table.

Waiters the world over need to judge when to approach a table in intense conversation. Sometimes they just had to go for broke. "Sir, Madam, I hope everything was to satisfaction," said the ghantish man. "May I recommend any desserts?"

"I rarely eat dessert with lunch. Would you care for any?" asked Enoch of Jess. He stroked her hand briefly as he released it.

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Sat Nov 21, 2015 4:17 am

Amelia

Aoife nodded with a bright smile before standing up, and responding to Amelia by saying, "lead the way, my Lady," and then bowing her goodbyes.

Amelia did just that, leading the way in a quick motion. She was quite eager to get away from breakfast, and her overbearing, disgruntled mother. “Mother has been under a lot of stress lately,” Amelia sighed as she explained to Aoife upon exiting the hall. “There’s been some leaked pamphlets and stuff that say bad things about her and our family, as well as there being some issues with father. They are separated, and I don’t think they are getting back together. The well has been poisoned, so they say.”

Assuming Aoife didn’t know what the pamphlets said, she had folded up copies in her shoulder bag. Alexandra told her that King Alois of New Hydrenia admitted to orchestrating the first one, but not the second one, and proclaimed up and down that he had nothing to do with the second one. Amelia didn’t know if she believed that…Alois seemed like a snake to her, but if Alexandra was willing to trust him, so would she.

“That and the so called nest is emptying. Nathan’s gone, Arietta’s gone, Alexia spends a lot of her time away and at the palace, Alexandra is in Vorindun, so now it’s just me and Chuck…well his name is Charles but I call him Chuck, because he looks like a woodchuck…don’t you think?” Amelia was on her way to the gardens, wanting to enjoy the weather and get away from the personalities at court.

Walking past some various statues, busts and paintings in the well lit ornamental hallway, Amelia skipped along the black and white checkered floor from one black tile to the next. “Seems like you and Nathan have made friends, that’s good…he doesn’t have many friends. Never has really, from what mother says. Sure, he has followers and people sucking up to him for favors, but friends? Not really. It sucks for him, everyone trying to use him. People think they know who he is, what he’s really like, but they don’t. They’re all stupid.”

Nathan

To: Amenmar
RE: Meeting at the Embassy

Thank you Amenmar for your advice, it is greatly appreciated. The Emperor and I have spoken and we are available to meet with you at the embassy at the earliest available opportunity.

“You know, I really should get back to the feast hall,” Nathan urged his wife. “My absence has been noted.” He was growing impatient, walking around the room, trying to find a way to leave that wouldn’t damage his current position. Perhaps that’s the point.

“Your absence has been excused,” Sophia dismissed his concern. “The Palace is aware that you are following up the events of the ball with pertinent matters of state that require your attention.” The Empress sat on the couch with a satisfied look on her face as she poured herself some more apple juice. “That and you should take some more time to spend with your family. Your mother noted that you didn’t see your children at all yesterday.”

“You saw me, Sophia. I was busy, entertaining foreign guests of esteem.” Nathan had a hard time not laughing at his own words. I swear there was something in that ice cream. He certainly wouldn’t have put it past Arietta and their cousins to eat spiked ice cream, with weed brownies and all manner of other drugs.

“Yeah, specifically pretty girls,” Sophia shook her head as she got up. “Come, let’s go to the nursery and see the children.”

“…But…”

Sophia was quick to cut him off. “Would you like for your mother’s family to find out that you have been neglecting your duties as a father?”

…She’s always one step ahead of me. “Let’s go to the nursery then.” Nathan offered the Empress his arm, and the two began to walk from her study just down the hall…Sophia liked to keep her children close, and under heavy guard.

“Have you been keeping abreast of recent international incidents?” Sophia asked while they were en route.

“…Not really,” the Emperor shrugged casually as he shook his head. “I mean I have been keeping abreast of other things though…”

Shaking her head at that, the Empress sighed heavily. “Oh, you are so clever with your plays on words. Are you familiar with what’s going on in Arcologia, or Ashab?”

“Pretty sure it’s just a bunch of people killing each other. What else is there to know?”

“…A lot, such as Ghantish interests. You should care more about that.” Sophia looked at him as though he were a fool, as they approached the set of double doors with several guards on patrol nearby, and two on either side of the entrance. On sight of the Imperial pair they inclined their heads and got out of the way.

The various noble ladies in waiting curtsied at the sight of the pair as well, and scattered off into adjoining rooms when the Empress said “you are excused.” Alazne Dain was particularly mopey, and was the last to vacate.

Well now that I am here, I should make the best of it. Nathan approached the cradle with the Crown Prince, who was playing with a rattle in his onesies. The Emperor bent over to pick up his eldest son and heir, but upon touch the baby began to fuss and flail, fighting him at every opportunity. “What the hell?” Despite his best efforts to hold and cuddle the baby, it would appear as though he would have none of it.

“Aww, I am so sorry,” Sophia made a pouty face. “Looks like baby Nathan doesn’t like you. Don’t worry though, he’s like that with most people.”

“He’ll learn to like it,” Nathan attempted to assure himself as he struggled against the strength of the vigorous baby boy. It’s like trying to hold a catfish. “Who does he like, anyway?”

“…Father, your mother, your sisters, your grandmother, Alazne and your Aunt Caroline.”

Nathan laughed. “Figures he would be fond of your father. Here, take him then.” Handing the child off to Sophia, the Emperor took note of how he stopped whining and squirming once his mother held him. I see how it is you little shit. Shaking his head, he went to see his daughter, the Princess Imperial Sara, and picked her up. This was a song of a different tune…not only was the baby girl excited to see her father, but when he picked her up, she seemed to like it. The Emperor could hold her close, nuzzle her nose and give her kisses, and she was thrilled, cooing and squealing in delight and flapping her arms. That’s better. At least it was until he smelled something rank.

“She’s excitable,” the Empress pointed out with a wrinkle of her nose. “She loves people, especially mommy and daddy. You should change her diaper…I am assuming you know how?”

“Yeah, I know how to change a diaper…for the most part.”

“Good…remember though, with baby girls, always wipe front to back. Always,

“Understood.” Nathan took the thoroughly amused baby girl to the diaper changing table, and was careful with setting her down and seeing to the foul business at hand. She was very cooperative, smiling as she sucked on her hands. “How’s the Crown Prince when it comes to diaper changing? John I assume is very easy to handle.”

“John certainly is easygoing, and unresisting. With baby Nathan though…it’s always an ordeal. He moved around a lot and seems to like peeing on the ladies in waiting.”

…That’s my boy.
Last edited by Ghant on Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:16 pm

The New Edomite Embassy
Ghish, Ghant

Prince Amenmar had received a communique from Count Lalery advising him that the Ministry of Trade and the Ministry of Oil and Resources' officials would be open to overtures from other nations in Ghant--Adiron and Akai specifically--which wanated investment in Ghant's oil sector.

"A preemptive approach is preferable, as an act demonstrating our generosity and fairness," said Lalery. "We are approaching this from the point of view of welcoming partnerships. This is not empire building, it is mutual economic growth."

Amenmar agreed that this was nicely put. The contracted companies that were invovled from the Edomite standpoint agreed that this was a wise way of dealing with things. The problems were actually quite big, and yet the investment had also been really big.

The information from Ikon Goephysical was in the news, but what was added by Amenmar's Economic adviser in the embassy to the other embassies from Akai and Adiron was to propose that a general partnership be considered with Ghant and to discuss the terms fo this.

The embassy also had to get ready for the fruit of victory--the impending arrival of the Emperor and Empress of Ghant--coming to them. Naturally they would have to pay them great respect, have proper hospitality ready. Fortunately in Ghant the possibility of being visited by VIPs was always an issue, but nevertheless nearlya hundred embassy staff began to bustle around frantically to make things ready for the arrival of the Imperial couple.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:46 pm

Adiran Embassy
Ghish, Ghant

Aside from Jess, the Adirans had a brief meeting in the embassy about the oil problem. "New Laconia needs some kind of relief for this oil crisis, or we're going into recession," Luo said to open. "It's a problem of consumer confidence. No one knows how high prices are going, and that's for everything, not just gas. Small businesses will take the worst hits from higher gas prices, but even the big corporations are potentially out millions on the scale they operate on, enough to affect stocks."

Tim Carlson was stinging all over and trying not to show it. He had heard of women referred to as "hellcats" before, but this was ridiculous. 'Still worth it,' he thought as he shifted painfully in his chair. "All right, that sounds pretty terrible. So why don't you end the embargo?" he remarked with a pained grimace. Luo glared at him. "What? This Arctic drilling project won't be enough to stop the recession. The cost of ending the embargo is probably going to be less than we lose from a nationwide recession. Bite the bullet, I say."

"You've been listening to Mr. Saito, I see," Tamburo joked.

"Yeah that's right, I have," Carlson said. "I came along because this was a possible opportunity for my company, not because I thought it would fix the shortages. And as much as we appreciate the business we're getting from the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, we'd very much prefer to have our foreign markets back, thank you very much."

"Don't play dumb, Carlson," Tamburo interjected, with Carlson turning to face him. "Thorco has hundred million dollar services contracts overseas. If all you knew how to do was buy up land with oil under it, you wouldn't be here."

"Service contracts won't fix your problem or mine: the embargo," Carlson pointed out.

"What do you think we're trying to do?" Luo then asked rhetorically. "The Edomites are the deciding vote in FODE to keep that bastard Reyes in power. The major challenge to drilling in northern Ghant is a lack of infrastructure. It's a stroke of dumb luck this tiny Edomite exploration firm found it at all. We're going them a favor, getting some short term relief, and hopefully paving the way to fixing this."

"That's another thing," Carlson said. "Who's to say the Edomites are even going to let us get in on this? Are you talking about becoming an investor? Wouldn't that make us investors in FODE? Isn't that illegal because of the embargo?"

"That's what we're going to find out," Luo said. "If we take care of this Arctic infrastructure problem, it's good for New Edom and for FODE. Maybe good enough to consider a change in leadership for the good of the organization."

Carlson looked from Luo, to Tamburo, back to Luo again. "You guys are a couple of characters. Fine, I'll go along with it for now...until I hear you propose something bad for my company. Thorco can negotiate on its own if we have to."

"Not after you went dirty dancing with Jackie Thrall," Tamburo said wryly. "You might find they didn't particularly appreciate that."

"Business and pleasure, two different things," Carlson said dismissively.

"Oh I think they'll beg to differ. You were working last night, however unwittingly," Luo told Carlson ominously. "I wonder what your chances of promotion will be after Mrs. Idle finds out you tanked a contract opportunity by associating with the wrong crowd."

Carlson suddenly felt the stinging scratches on his back flare up. After that, Luo attempted to reach Amenmar. He opened politely, saying he hoped everything was all right given the sudden exit of the Edomites from the ball, but he would not pry. When he got to the chase, he said that he had a representative of the Adiran energy sector who was hoping to arrange a meeting about providing services to the new drilling project in northern Ghant. His government had some ideas about that as well.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:21 pm

The Scarlet Citadel

Jess indicated that she didn't want any dessert either. Today she had indulged herself, and she'd be paying for it on the scale. "I'm so glad I came here now," she said tenderly as she smiled at him.

They chatted about what the rest of the day held in store for the two of them until they were ready to get the check. She wasn't entirely sure how private they needed to be, but as they left their table she wanted to hold his hand or his arm, if he was open to it.

When they were in the relative privacy of a foyer at the restaurant's entrance, with a finger she beckoned that Enoch lean in closer. In a slightly hoarse whisper, she said "You know, you can sleep with a blonde, you can sleep with a brunette, but you won't get any sleep with a redhead." If they were alone, she leaned into him and gave him a brief but rather fiery kiss.

"I had a wonderful time. I can't wait to see you again tonight," Jess said warmly as her cab pulled up to take her back to her hotel. As the cab pulled away she waved to him in a warm, friendly way.

The IASM
Senator

Founded: Jan 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The IASM » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:57 am

THE FEAST HALL
Inperiala Palace
Ghish
Ghant

LILISI

“I have heard of it,” The Lord-Prince’s body language was particularly telling, aggressively displeased yet controlled. “I have also heard of sirens that sit on rocks in the Sea of Ghant and tempt sailors with their songs, in order to lure them into the water. This is supposedly apparent to the pub patrons in the docks, yet I did not see it, nor hear the song myself. Therefore I don’t believe it.”

I am starting to like this man although it seems I should keep my mouth shut. She was intimidated by Albert and his body language, reflected in a slight step back before. Shang’s breath was hanging along side her, knew Latin and understood it well despite his displeasure for it.

“...And would you say it is becoming of a Princess of Akai to spread court gossip about the Emperor with his own family?” One of the princes on the table spoke. “That could prove politically inconvenient as well…”

“The Princess of Akai and Lazinato is still adapting to the complexities of knowing when not to be… blunt among equals,” Shang put it in his heavy voice, one which carried a disapproving sentiment with it as he glared at Lilisi. “We apologise for this embarrassment,” he said in the most dry manner a man possibly could. He then grumbled something in Akai, along the lines of: “Why did I accept this position”

One of the female Gentry’s asked “the veracity of these claims are still being assessed. There’s a lot that people don’t know, and in that vacuum exists the propensity for assumption, misinterpretation and misunderstanding.”

“I…” Lilisi was far more cautious in what she said this time around. “I think that is a good view on the matter to take, I will admit the way I phrased my query was not the best way I could.” She then changed to speak Lazinatoese Akai for a brief few seconds: “Ma wodeshetou...” Curse my tongue.

“Ni yinggai,” Shang replied in a mocking tone. You should.

“Anyways, Lord-Prince Albert, I do have some gifts for your House which were intended to be given last night as per tradition however the weather seemed to have other ideas.” Lilisi was about to moved around towards the package location although it appeared Shang was a few steps a head, he was holding the elaborate ebonwood package. The case itself was an ornate one if strangely modern. It was almost… cubist, there were four faces on each corner from a different perspective. The angular nature of it encouraged a sense of motion and energy, yet it color was one which carried a certain power and strength. If Lilisi had to put a name to its harsh style it would be Neo-Heshilaoist, a style which emerged under the rule of Ditor Jieke if she recalled correctly. “I believe there is a gift in particular for someone who isn’t here yet, somewhere” she said smiling rather innocently.

HULANG

Hulang wasn't particularly pleased with the tone presented towards him by Caroline, he was never one to enjoy being mocked, especially when he was being honest in his thoughts. He never particularly enjoyed being treated as such, he had enough problems with regards to Machiko and her constant rapid fire insults. He looked on as Amelia left with Aoife with a slight level of contempt for the latter. He did well to hide it though, he did well to hide emotions when he wanted to. He noted Lilisi seemingly had annoyed the Gentrys at their table and it seemed Shang was doing a decent job of handling it.

He wore a kind smile as he looked around for a good seat, eying up the various types of fruits on his plate. Hopefully this’ll have a good taste together he mused, slightly moving the various pieces in a geometric and symmetrical pattern.

“Your perfection, could I have some of your time,” a voice asked from behind Hulang in flawless Latin. Hulang cocked his head to see Prince Kazou Lazin with a particularly stoic stare.He was always the moral traditionalist, never swaying from his supposed duties. He was a member of Subsection 1:4 of the State Internal Authority, a particularly competent officer if Hulang recalled correctly. He He bore a similarity to Hulang although clearly more masculine in appearance and having a more pronounced jawline and a controlled layer of stubble There was a pronounced scar across his right eye which was missing, only a glass eye with an onyx iris.

“You have a minute,” Hulang replied rapidly, taking a small piece of fruit and quickly eating it, clearly starting to get hungry.

“I’ll be quick then. The Grand Conclave wishes to use me as a negotiator for a possible deal with the Edomites over the oil in the north of Ghant, it’ll be a joint party with NPF and SIA on both sides…”

“Make that NPF, SIA and Riyeskonsu - High Commander Chang will now go with you on my behalf, acting as the Ditorate’s representative. We have Hong and Shang to keep me safe so make it so.” Hulang’s orders were swift and quick for he had other things to attend to although less important in comparison. Kazou took it as a sign of what to do and approached the High Commander and his company.

Hulang then turned to face the Princess Dowager at the table, he wanted to discuss something rather particular. “I do hope you don’t mind me just finishing my breakfast here seeing that everyone else seems to have gone,” he asked politely pointing to an empty seat. "I also apologise for my small rant then, I am told I have a habit of speaking my mind. Hopefully my honesty wasn't to unpleasant, I hear life isn't good for you and your family."

LILAN

The Ambassador to Ghant Li Lilan Wuxiu was always a quiet lady, in her late thirties and always so particular in her enjoyment of the cold weather. Having to stay with Machiko in the boiling heat of Xungong was enough to drive her insane but she remained patient and particularly well organised enough that she managed to get a position in the SIA. So she ended up doing a particularly good job as an intern and then latter a consul that she eventually managed to get a good appointment as an ambassador in what the Akai called Lengtudi. In reality Ghant was an interesting place for her to be and one which suited her quite well, it was particularly comfortable for her to be in.

Yet the pressure had been increasing recently, the chessmasters of Akai have been particularly interested in this new source of oil found underneath the northern territories of Ghant. Despite the technical difficulties of setting up a facility capable of extracting the black gold in the northern territories and they also had some concerns over the ability to actually ensure the site is protected. And then there were the political concerns about how would handle the Jendebasa peoples who occupied the lands where the oil was placed. The Grand Conclave held them in particular contempt, at the last briefing Wusheng-Admiral Leikesi Leimilian Tajin had particular comfort in calling them barbarian scum with a certain comfort. Leikesi Tajin was a particularly militant admiral who often earned the disdain of many he came into contact with. He was particularly opposed to this agreement in the transcript of the meeting provided calling it a “venture in wastefulness and over ambition.” He favored a policy of purchasing from the Imperium and New Edom directly and dealing with FODE, much to the displeasure of Chairman Heng.

Akai was a tricky nation to work in, no matter if you happened to be a few thousand miles away from it. Li Lilan Wuxiu was particularly tired this morning. She sat at her desk, drinking some wu long tea from Zhaoze and empty staring out the window. Today was going to be a busy day…
Last edited by The IASM on Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HUN-01

20:22 Kirav Normal in Akai is nightmare fuel in the rest of the world.
11:33 Jedoria Something convoluted is going on in Akai probably.
Transoxthraxia: I'm no hentai connoisseur, but I'm pretty sure Akai's domestic politics would be like, at least top ten most fucked up hentais"
18:26 Deusaeuri Let me put it this way, you're what would happen if Lovecraft decided to write political dystopian techno thriller
20:19 Heku tits has gone mental
20:19 Jakee >gone
05:48 Malay lol akai sounds lovely this time of never

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Nov 23, 2015 12:42 am

Adiran Embassy
Ghish, Ghant

The embassy staff worked out the appointments with the Edomite embassy while the diplomats and Carlson figured out their game plan a bit better. Carlson was able to rattle off a number of roles that Thorco's Energy Services division could handle at the well sites. It was broadly familiar with sub-Arctic and Arctic conditions from a pair of oilfields in frigid northern Solus and Couloir. Thorco derived much of its experience from its numerous smaller operations in Adiron. Meager oil reserves were spread out throughout Adiron in isolated pockets, with varied geology and often facing additional challenges that might have scared away other oil companies. For some companies these oilfields might not even be profitable, but Thorco had found ways of automating its operations to try to control labor costs.

The diplomats were lost when it came to oil industry jargon, so Carlson tried to give them a crash course on what products and services they offered, starting with the basics needed to drill for oil. Drilling fluids typically made up ten percent of the total cost of drilling a new well. Although it was a dirty job, competent "mud engineers" were vital to the economic success of an oilfield. Thorco had chemists and other technicians who knew how to properly maintain the fluids' required density, viscosity, and pH. Transporting, properly storing, and managing the mud at the drilling sites were non-trivial jobs as well.

Thorco's Energy Services division also did work on the physical wells themselves. Well completion, as Carlson explained it to Luo and Tamburo, is the process of preparing a freshly-drilled well for commercial production. A variety of techniques existed for different types of oil reservoirs, wells, and geology, and Thorco had done virtually all of them either on Adiran soil at its own wells or while contracted to a leaseholder overseas. All of them involved remotely operating equipment deep underground to safely tap into a reservoir.

Once the well was completed, maintenance would need to be carried out on it. Sometimes equipment or tools could get lost or stuck in a well, and then you'd have to go "fishing" for it to restore the well to full operation. It was often common to "stimulate" a well which wasn't as productive as it could be, sometimes due to dwindling supply but more often due to damage caused to the reservoir by the drilling process. In other cases it was sometimes necessary to drill horizontally. Before you did any of that, you also needed to perform tests on the wells. Thorco had deals with specialized subcontractors to do all of this.

All of that was "upstream," or concerning the actual oilfields. "Midstream" referred to transporting crude oil and refining it into various fuels. Thorco didn't directly handle most of the midstream processes. Instead, a few highly specialized companies tended to dominate specific parts of the midstream production. Many of these did nothing but build and operate pipelines, while others were more focused on road and rail transport. What Thorco could offer here was a good relationship with several established Adiran midstream companies. A pipeline network leading from the oilfields in northern Ghant to the nearest major port would undoubtedly take months or years to complete; the first wells would likely be up and running before then. That meant trucks were likely to shoulder much of the burden at first.

That's about where the Adiran government came in. Before there was downstream, before there was midstream, before there was upstream, Carlson told the diplomats, there had to be infrastructure. They needed electricity and plenty of it, which meant building a power plant. They needed water, not just for the workers, but large amounts for the drilling operations themselves. Roads or rail, preferably both, needed to connect the oilfields up north to the nearest modern port city. Ideally a refinery and storage facilities, which Thorco had a division dedicated to building and operating, would be built in that same port city. It was unusual to transport crude oil overseas without a concrete reason why it couldn't be refined in its country of origin. In the future they may consider building an airport up north, as well as a pipeline running from the oilfields to the refinery. For right now, though, they needed the basics: road, rail, power, and water.

Luo said the government was willing to back major infrastructure bonds, and pointed out that all of this meant a substantial boost to the Ghantish economy. In the short term the construction of the infrastructure would provide thousands of jobs to the locals in addition to improving access to healthcare and emergency services. In the long term it meant the creation of an almost entirely new sector of the Ghantish economy: the oil sector. Ignoring Tamburo's comment on the likely environmental impact, Luo said that an Adiran-backed infrastructure development program would foster better relations between Ghant and Adiron. Furthermore, the State Department was still keen on moving Adiron past the uncertainty of the Pahath-Moab years and wanted to support the more peaceful, reform-minded government of Elijah IV and Mara I.

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:38 pm

“Nature Foundation”
Inperiala Palace
Ghish, Ghant

“The Princess of Akai and Lazinato is still adapting to the complexities of knowing when not to be… blunt among equals,” a man that Alexander presumed to be Princess Lilisi’s retainer. “We apologize for this embarrassment,” he finished.

“Apology accepted,” was all Albert said, apparently not giving it much thought as he returned to spreading cranberry jam on his toast. Alexander sipped his wine in silence, while his cousin Cassandra had a devilish smirk on her face as she glanced inconspicuously around the table.

When the Ghantish princess addressed Lilisi, the latter responded, almost sheepishly. “I…I think that is a good view on the matter to take, I will admit the way I phrased my query was not the best way I could.”

“Words, your Highness, are much like arrows,” Cassandra began to explain over a goblet of red wine. “Once loosed, they cannot be recalled. Be careful where those arrows shoot, lest they stick something that doesn’t want to be stuck.”

Lilisi appeared to be an intelligent, but naïve girl in any event, much like Alexander’s older sister Alysanne. He listened intently to what she had to say. “Anyways, Lord-Prince Albert, I do have some gifts for your House which were intended to be given last night as per tradition however the weather seemed to have other ideas.” The Princess’s retainer held the package in hand. Alexander didn’t get a good look at it from where he was sitting, but it seemed quite impressive. “I believe there is a gift in particular for someone who isn’t here yet, somewhere,” she said smiling rather innocently.

Albert had just finished downing his toast, and looked at Lilisi the way a man might look at a circus entertainer who was about to play some trick. “A gift…thank you, your Highness.” Albert, always a man of caution, signaled for one of his own retainers to come and open the gift for him…he never opened packages if he could avoid it. Never know what’s inside…

Caroline

The Princess Dowager remained seated at the table that was once populated by her children, looking down at the white tablecloth as she restlessly spooned at the grapefruit sitting underneath her dour face. She casually sprinkled some sugar upon the meat of the grapefruit, and took a few bites, savoring the tart juices.

She heard the Ditor speaking to some of his ilk, but she did not listen. The boy rubs me the wrong way. Caroline couldn’t place a finger on it…he had not behaved in an ill fashion in front of her, but still…there was something about him that she did not like. Perhaps it was a woman’s intuition, or that of a mother…she suspected he had a fondness for her daughter Amelia, and she did not like that at all.

Perhaps it was for that reason that the Ditor made Caroline feel uneasy. She didn’t know what his intentions were, what he wanted or how he wanted to go about getting it. Whatever it was, Caroline really didn’t want to know. For the time being she was content to busy herself with the grapefruit and ignore the young Ditor, until he spoke to her directly. She would only do as much as necessary in order to not appear rude.

After his retainers had departed his company, the Ditor turned towards Caroline, and began to speak. “I do hope you don’t mind me just finishing my breakfast here seeing that everyone else seems to have gone,” he asked politely pointing to an empty seat.

“…I don’t mind,” she responded in a neutral tone. How passive aggressive of me.

"I also apologize for my small rant then, I am told I have a habit of speaking my mind. Hopefully my honesty wasn't too unpleasant, I hear life isn't good for you and your family," the Ditor continued, meaning well, surely.

Yet that wasn’t how Caroline took it. She was taken back, causing her to grimace. How dare he presume to speak of the state of my family. Who the fuck does he think he is? It took all the restraint her Ahenobarban blood could muster, and even in spite of that restraint, her eyes shot daggers, and her face began to turn red. “Ditor Hulang, forgive me but you seem to have confused me with a member of your retinue. I am not your drinking companion nor your whist partner. I am the mother of the Emperor of Ghant.” Caroline pushed herself up from the table, half tempted to slap her grapefruit off of the table, yet she didn’t, merely gripping the wood of the table with her hands as if the very abyss itself was behind her, trying to suck her in. “And as such, don’t presume to share gossip about the state of my family, and I neither seek nor invite your advice. Good day.”

Having said that, the suddenly austere Princess Dowager of Ghant pushed herself away from the table and walked away, ready to rip the head off of anyone that dared misspeak to her again. Caroline was gone from the feast hall like a retreating storm, short of leaving streaks of lightning in her wake. She needed a distraction, but good ones were few and far between. I need more wine…

Nathan

The Emperor and Empress of Ghant remained occupied with paying attention to their children, that was until a retainer informed them that the embassy was ready to receive them. Nathan wasn’t necessary enthused to venture to the embassy...he suspected that the Edomites by and large were not fond of him, and would give him only as much respect as was necessary to give a head of state in his own country.

They are a crafty lot though, I will give them that. Up until recently, the whole of the Imperial Family had been lukewarm towards the Edomites at best. They only went as far as to organize the Ghantish Expeditionary Force to fight in their most recent civil war in order to stop an unsavory regime from taking it over and undermining Ghantish interests. Now with this talk of Alexander and King Elijah’s sister Ava, the Edomites were attempting to cajole the Gentries into supporting their agenda wholeheartedly. In a perfect world, Nathan would be the “leader” of the imperial family, as the Emperors traditionally were. Alas, he was not…that honor belonged dubiously to Nathan’s great uncle Edward, and uncle Albert, both of which would no doubt be pleased at the match.

Sophia had to return to her chambers in order to change, leaving Nathan alone with the children for a time. He enjoyed playing with John and Sara, holding them and kissing them on the cheeks. All his life he wanted to be a good father…like his own father, although more attentive, perhaps. Yet now he felt a creeping sense of inadequacy, as though where he was in life was far off from where he was supposed to be.

Eventually the Empress returned, this time in a loose fitting white and purple day gown, and with her hair still down. “We should leave now,” she said upon returning, while the ladies in waiting flittered back into the room. Nathan said goodbye to his children, and departed the room with his wife, out into the hall and out towards the rear entrance of the palace towards the rear parking garage, with guards in tow. The limousine and corresponding sedans were ready and waiting.

The ride from the palace to the embassy was one that went by faster than Nathan initially anticipated. He kept himself distracted by looking out the window at the buildings moving by, one after the other. While it hurt his hungover eyes, it made him feel better, being out and about and under the sun. The Empress busied herself with a conversation with her lady-in-waiting Sara Moro, who quickly became her personal confidant.

When they arrived at the embassy, Nathan’s eyes grew wide at the sight of a few young people stalking about the sidewalks near the embassy, holding up signs and passing out pamphlets and brochures. They were railing against the development project, it appeared to the Emperor, protesting outside the embassy. “Save the Jendebasa! Protect the North! Down with Corporate Greed!” Various signs read, and chants said.

When the Emperor and Empress got out of their limo, the protestors flocked, as did the press. They addressed the Empress specifically, while a stream of guards quickly got between the royal pair and the throngs of people. “Protect Ghant, your Majesty! Don’t let it be exploited! The White Rose of Dakmoor is supposed to be one of us! Do the right thing! Don’t forget your values!” They all appealed to the Empress…none to Nathan.

The Empress ignored them as she made her approach to the entrance of the embassy, but the Emperor hesitated. I see an opportunity. “…Step aside,” Nathan said to his guards. “Let me speak to them.”

“…Nathan…” Sophia attempted to dissuade him.

“Step aside, now,” the Emperor said again to his guards, who looked to the Empress. “Your Emperor commands it.” That got them out of his way, and then there was nothing between him and the protestors. While there were several people all around looking at him with determined expressions, there was one in particular that caught his eye, and he stared right at her.

“Your Majesty,” the girl said after a few moments, with a smile and a nod of her head. “You mustn’t let this development project go through! It will severely impact Ghant’s fragile northern ecosystems!”

“…What’s your name? Who are you?” she’s pretty cute, he thought of the girl with shoulder-length brown hair and twinkling green eyes wearing thick black hipster glasses, a chic forest green beanie cap with matching color leggings, a short skirt and a long jacket. Just like the song.

The girl smiled brightly, causing the Emperor to return the look. “My name is Heather Umaia, and I am a senior at the University of Ghish in the Public Policy Program. I am a volunteer with the Nature Foundation of Ghant. Please, your Majesty, take this pamphlet…it will tell you everything you need to know about our goals.” Heather held out a pamphlet in her fair hands, causing the Emperor to shift his eyes to it.

Despite his hesitation, Nathan reached out with one hand and carefully took the pamphlet, not wasting the chance to touch her hand, fair and smooth as he anticipated it would be. She smiled at him as he took it and clutched it in his hand. “I will look it over, Ms. Umaia. Thank you.” Then he turned around in haste and got back into the path created by the guards, while the Empress was preoccupied with making her approach to the embassy entrance. Once he had returned behind his wife, Nathan looked over the brochure…

The Nature Foundation of Ghant

About Us
The Nature Foundation Ghant: Protecting Lands, Protecting Lives, Protecting Our Ghant

Our mission
To support traditional people of Ghant’s wilds in their efforts to protect their environment and fulfill their rights.

Our philosophy
We believe that nature protection and human rights are interconnected. We recognize that traditional peoples all over Ghant are currently living sustainably in what are considered the most “pristine” lands. This is not a coincidence. The people who depend on nature for their livelihoods, culture, and spirituality are careful in their use of the land. There are no better stewards of the land. We believe that the most effective way to protect the untouched lands of Ghant is to ensure that the traditional communities who have historically managed and protected those areas have secure and long term rights to their lands and resources.

Our Approach
We work in partnership with traditional groups and local grassroots organizations in northern Ghant to:
  • Secure rights to their lands
  • Influence laws and policies to protect their resources
  • Build strong and sustainable community leadership

Environmental Effects of Oil Drilling:
Oil drilling has many harmful ecological and environmental effects. The process of drilling and extracting oil is complex and leaves many opportunities for error or accidents, the likes of which NFG team members have witnessed firsthand. The piping used to transport and extract oil is made of metals, which can corrode. This corrosion causes pipes to rupture, and contaminates the land and waters which surround it. If the pipes do not rupture, contamination is still eminent via the large waste pits, often left unlined and open. Dust particles left from drilling may coat the surrounding areas, and flames from burning the natural gas found in oil fields cause air pollution. Lastly, oil spills, accidents, and illegal dumping of oil barrels and produced water lead to devastating ecological and health consequences that can last for decades. Many of these chemicals are detrimental or deadly to animals. Entire ecosystems can dissolve as a result of oil contamination.

Health Effects on Indigenous Communities:
“There's a stream where we always go to fish, we catch fish there and eat them. The fish drink the water, and since we eat them, the water must be clean,” a member of a traditional community located near a speculated oil site explained (from an interview with Ghantish Public Radio). As a result of toxic ingestion, many people suffer from skin rashes which require daily injections to prevent swelling, and chronic headaches. Fainting spells, vomiting, chronic diarrhea, headaches and unknown skin infections are common symptoms for those impacted by oil extraction. Long term health effects include: lung disease, liver and kidney damage, damage to the nervous system, malformation, brain damage, miscarriages and many other devastating chronic conditions.

What makes oil so dangerous?
Water produced by oil drilling, or “produced water”, contains arsenic, as well as cadmium, mercury, lead, zinc and copper. These heavy metals are toxic to humans and animals, even in proportionally miniscule concentrations. In the some foreign mining regions, heavy metal concentrations were critically above safe levels. These chemicals and metals are not only toxic to humans, but to animals as well. This is important not only when questioning the survival of hundreds of species who may come into contact with contaminated water, air or land, but also in the question of human health.

Oil contains toxic agents such as mercury, cadmium, arsenic, and lead which bioaccumulate in living organisms. In other words, if consumed over time, the concentration of the chemical increases in comparison to the concentration in the surrounding environment. Mercury, for example, will accumulate in the organism’s tissues faster than it can be excreted. Traditional peoples have been fishing their ancestral lands and rivers for generations. With the proposed oil extraction, the waters will become toxic and the fish they are consuming will be feeding upon other organisms that will be bioaccumulating metals. Thus, the further up the food chain you travel, the higher the metal concentrations. Humans have enjoyed the glory of being at the top of the food chain, but if you were to reside in a region contaminated by oil drilling processes, that enjoyment would not last long. The effects of the toxins intensifies as you travel up the food web. This means that predators and carnivores- often rare and critical to fragile ecosystems- as well as humans, are in danger.

So when traditional people continue to rely on their lands and waterways for sustenance, they risk their lives.

However they have no other option. Traditional groups have been relying upon the land for their survival and livelihoods for thousands of years . Until recently, their ancestral lands have been left largely untouched and unharmed, allowing them to fish and hunt and live in accordance with nature. Now, oil companies have left them with no choice but to fish oil-filled waters and farm toxic lands.

What can you do to help?
Take a look at the support form below. Should you decide to donate, your donation will help protect the incredible biological diversity of Ghant and help traditional peoples defend their livelihoods and cultures.

Code: Select all
[u][b]Support Form[/b][/u]
[b]Nation Name: [/b]
[b]Organization/Individual Name (if national government please state leader’s name and titles):[/b]
 [b]Do you believe that traditional people should have the right to remain undisturbed by development projects? (Y/N):[/b]
[b]Do you believe that oil exploration in pristine wild areas is harmful? (Y/N): [/b]
[b]Do you believe in the moral and ethical responsibility of civilization to protect natural areas and peoples? (Y/N):[/b]
[b]If the answer above is yes to all, will you support our cause financially? (Y/N):[/b]
[b]If so, please state the amount of your contributions:[/b]
[b]Thank you, your contributions are valued in the cause of preserving pristine lands in Ghant![/b]

Nathan looked over the pamphlet as he entered the Edomite embassy, keeping it to himself as he walked between two rows of armed guards on alert. A grin swept across his face as he tucked it into his sports jacket, not wanting to paint a target on his back with the Edomites as he met with them to discuss his personal staff appointments…a few of which he a good idea of. Still, he couldn’t help but think about what the environmental activists were advocating. Well, they do have a point…
Last edited by Ghant on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:39 pm

The New Edomite Embassy,
Ghish, Ghant

“What in God’s name is the Emperor doing?” exclaimed the guard commander, Major Nehemiah Goran, his good eye popping wide as he stood there, waiting to salute the imperial couple as they came in.
“No idea,” murmured Inyanna Ninduk, standing shivering in her mohair greatcoat, maintaining a smile that seemed natural enough.

New Edomite soldiers of the Halberdier Guards, in winter greatcoats, scarves, gloves and boots specifically designed in TECT and almost entirey worn in Acheronian northern embassies and in Ghant, stood at attention facing the Ghantish Palace Guardsmen. Their greatcoats were worn over uniforms actually made of wool rather usual parade dress cottons and other light airy materials. The officers and NCOs twitched tensely when the Emperor stepped outside of his guards and went to talk to the woman.
The protestors had somehow timed their arrival to coincide with this, or something, or Satan perhaps had engineered this to torment them like job, Prince Amenmar thought as he came out the doors to bow in the two heads of state. Prince Enoch glanced at the guard dcommander and ninduk with a sour eye.
“I’m sorry Excellency the protestors,” said Ninduk apoilogetically.

“They make no difference, it’s just a bit embarrassing. This should have been managed better,” Enoch said. There was no further time to talk.
“Your Majesties do our humble house too much honour,” said Prince Amenmar with a bow and a warm smile. “On behalf of Their Majesties King Elijah IV and Queen Mara I, welcome to this humble part of the Allied States.”

The New Edomite honour guard presented arms like clockwork soldiers, boots stamping down, hands slapping rifle butts, the commander flashing out his sword in a stiff salute, the Edomite officials bowing in unison with this.

Once they were inside, in a sense they were in New Edom. A world of warmth, of warm colour sof green, orange, soft sky blues, carpets woven intricately in traditional haranese patterns, the scents of mint and lemon in the air as if they had stepped into a garden. The lobby and the various areas had living plants—crocuses, violets and other tropical floers growing there as well as tropical small fruit bearing b dewarf figs and lemon trees.

“Such a grand ball last night,” said Prince Enoch as they came in. Quite dazzling. Of course His Majesty had to leave early, due to unforeseen circumstances, but I hope we can move forward in good agreement now,”

“Indeed,’ said Prince Amenmar. “And we beg to repay the hospitality a little, at least, before his majesty the King does fully when the Emerpro visits him as a brother monarch in a short time. Behold!”
Naked and painted servants brought in a small feast of samosas made with spiced vegetables, lamb and rice; spanakopita made with delicate fyllo pastry and spinach with goat’s cheese; nougat and almond chocolates; hummus and eggplant dips for warm fresh pita loaves; a dish of cucumber chopped with mint and pearl onions in a vinaigrette dressing. “Allow me to apologize for the poverty of our table,” sighed Prince Amenmar sadly, “But it is what we have to offer.”
“Indeed, had we known that Your Majesties were coming earlier—not that you are not welcome at any hour of the day, we would have laid on a proper feast to show our welcome.” Prince Enoch said. “Especially with your family growing steadily. Now as a recent father myself,” he said to Nathan, “There is much joy but so much responsibility! Joy balanced with trial, eh, sir?”
Ashe spoke, Amenmar looked gently upon Sophia. How lovely she was, and how much she had to endure, he felt. He beckoned to the nearest servant, a young woman of athletic body and tight olive female swimmer’s curves under her painting of olive and grape vines, who knelt to offer a tray of mint tea, fizzy water or Nalayan coffee choices to the Empress, and then the Emperor.

While all this was going on, Inyanna, a slim olive skinned woman with raen hair, wearing a dark mohair coat a prettily embroidered tasseled scarf, wool gloves, came out as the guards ere moving to their regular sentry positions, and approached the em bassy. "Hello, I work here" she said with a friendly bow. "I couldn['t help but see your protests, and I have seen your pamphets. I find it a bit surprising. Don't you know that there is an enrgy crisis going on in the region, and that a proposed oil deal will be an important partnership with Ghant and other nations? Are yuou sure your information is correct?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:17 pm

Excerpt from Notes sent to the Embassies from Adiron and Akai, CC’d to the Ghantish Appropriate Ministries of Government (sent as a most secret message to each)

New Edomite geologists from the ikon Company have confirmed their belief that lie up to 15 billion barrels of oil. An additional 11 billion barrels are thought to be buried due east under the Arctic waters north of Ghant. All told, Arctic waters cover about 13 percent of the Region’s undiscovered petroleum, or enough to supply the joint potential partnership nations’ for more than a decade, according to government estimates. There will also be an estimated seven million cubic feet of natural gas to exploit.

Rig Costs

Initial costs of building a rig could be between 60 and 650 Billion per rig. The harshness of the environment and the difficulties of shipping materials there cannot be underestimated. However output is likely to be from 50 to 600 thousand barrels per day, which would be well worth it in the long run.

Infrastructure Costs

This includes land development, building of roads, logging, establishment and maintenance of camps, motor pool, administration, labour, a total of 14 billion NSD>

It is estimated that a pipeline would be the most efficient way of transporting fuels in Ghant, due to the distances and issues with the land itself. While petroleum vessels will be needed to move fuel to the main staging areas, pipeline costs, estimated at 12 billion for crude and natural gas each, should provide efficient transportation of the fuels.

Gas Well Costs

Estimated 25 billion NSD.

Refinery Costs

The National Petroleum Corporation’s Board is recommending building a refinery in northern Ghant, ideally in a city which has a large airport and a port which is free of ice for at least the better part of a year. Building a complex, hydrocracking, hyrdroskimming, catalytic cracking refinery, can cost anywhere between 5-15 billion NSD. The throughput (processing capacity) of this refinery should be between 250-500,000 barrels per day. Oil refining is a difficult business and margins are painfully slim. Economies of scale are critical to maintaining a viable business.

Summation of Estiamtes

In this rough estimate we sum up the report which is being prepared for submission to both parties should there be a negotiated agreement to work as partners. Of course the government of the Allied States is already in negotiations with the Empire of Ghant for the completion of this contract. Further discussion about the locations and other information will be forthcoming following direct talks between the respective
governments.

Ghant
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:08 pm

The New Edomite Embassy
Ghish, Ghant

The Emperor was quick to get a move on, not wanting to linger any longer than he thought he had to. He took note of the Edomite guards stood on guard near the embassy entrance, clad in wool winter greatcoats and other corresponding garb. It was not unlike what the Ghanish Palace Guard wore, albeit with different colors, among other things.

Amenmar emerged to greet them both personally, bowing and offering a smile to the royal pair. “Your Majesties do our humble house too much honor,” the ambassador prince greeted the. “On behalf of Their Majesties King Elijah IV and Queen Mara I, welcome to this humble part of the Allied States.”

“Always a wonderful sight,” Sophia beamed before curtseying. “Thank you for having us here today, Ambassador.”

“…This is my first time visiting.” Nathan had neglected visiting various embassies before, with the Edomite embassy being perhaps the most conspicuous example. It was certainly different from the lax atmosphere at the palace. The Edomite guards presented their arms, stomped their boots and slapped their rifle butts all in practiced unison. Makes sense, given their emphasis on discipline. The Edomites finished with the commander saluting, and the rest bowing.

The interior certainly made him feel like he was in New Edom…it was very un-Ghantish by comparison. Twas quite warm, with Edomite looking patterned rugs, green, orange and light blue paint, and air tinged with the scent of mint and lemon…enough to make Nathan sneeze. The lobby was filled with plants, tree and lower alike, all imported from New Edom, if Nathan were to assume.

Sophia wasn’t hesitant to express her adoration for the décor. “The embassy is lovely, as usual. Truly a testament to Edomite tastes.”

“Yes it is all quite nice.” Conceding rather meekly, Nathan was just trying to avoid insult.

“Such a grand ball last night,” Enoch said to the pair as they entered the embassy “Quite dazzling. Of course His Majesty had to leave early, due to unforeseen circumstances, but I hope we can move forward in good agreement now”

“Thank you Enoch, it was quite splendid.” Sophia certainly took pride in her social achievements, and if what Nathan had heard was true, the ball went quite lovely after the Edomites departed in their haste.

“Indeed," said Prince Amenmar. “And we beg to repay the hospitality a little, at least, before his majesty the King does fully when the Emperor visits him as a brother monarch in a short time. Behold!” Sophia seemed quite ecstatic when painted servants in the flesh brought out some food for them to eat. Nathan wasn’t quite sure what it all was, but some of it looked quite good indeed. He thought he spotted some lamb and rice…

“Allow me to apologize for the poverty of our table,” sighed Prince Amenmar sadly, “But it is what we have to offer.”

“Indeed, had we known that Your Majesties were coming earlier—not that you are not welcome at any hour of the day, we would have laid on a proper feast to show our welcome.” Prince Enoch said.

“Oh, you didn’t have to, really,” the Empress smiled brightly. “Yet your hospitality never ceases to impress me. Thank you, it is quite fine.”

“Especially with your family growing steadily. Now as a recent father myself,” Enoch said to Nathan, “There is much joy but so much responsibility! Joy balanced with trial, eh, sir?”

“You could certainly say that,” the Emperor grinned. “The people of Ghant, and myself especially, have high expectations for our children. I often wonder what sort of Emperor the Crown Prince will be, and we are determined to make him a good one. Certainly a better one than I. With the bar set so low, Nathan V was sure to have a reasonable chance at a successful reign.

A young, painted woman knelt before the Empress, offering her an assortment of drinks. “Thank you, my lady,” she smiled as she accepted some fizzy water. Nathan accepted some mint tea, and nodded in appreciation.

“Let it not be said that you Edomites lack for hospitality,” Nathan agreed with his wife, as he raised his tea glass before pouring it down his throat, while admiring the painted girls flittering about. When it came to cuisine he was not especially worldly, so he examined the wares, poking and prodding them a bit before settling on one that looked good. “Hmm…these almond chocolate are very good.” Always having been a chocoholic, he plucked at them off of the platter zealously. If only I had some milk to wash those down with…

The warmth of the place was certainly getting to him, causing him to sweat, as he had overdressed for the occasion considering the temperature within the embassy. It was getting to the Empress too, in spite of wearing a thin silk gown, as a thin patina of glistening sweat formed on her face, with gentle beads of sweat pooling on her forehead, collarbone and at the top of her cleavage, streaming southward. It was oft said that Ghantar sweat more easily than most breeds of men, given their climate, they were ill suited to the heat, and found even the most mild temperatures hotter than what they might have been accustomed to.”

“I have visited the embassy several times, and yet I always come overdressed,” Sophia giggled, while Nathan merely removed his coat, down to the shirt underneath.

Simon

Members of the Palace guard remained outside, maintaining the path formed between them. Among them was Simon, who was glad to be away from the Palace and the grating insinuations of the Gentries, Jared especially. He examined the protestors curiously, although his outward expression was stoic.

Simon observed as a slim olive skinned woman with raven hair emerged from the embassy, and addressed the protestors. "Hello, I work here," she said with a friendly bow. "I couldn't help but see your protests, and I have seen your pamphlets. I find it a bit surprising. Don't you know that there is an energy crisis going on in the region, and that a proposed oil deal will be an important partnership with Ghant and other nations? Are you sure your information is correct?"

The young Edomite woman was met with a combination of boos and sneering. “That’s a sign that the rest of the world needs to catch up with Ghant in terms of renewable energy,” one young man shouted. Another followed that up by saying, “Ghant shouldn’t be exploited because other nations can’t evolve past their dependency on oil.”

A young woman with blonde hair and a red cardigan addressed the Edomite. “Biological systems are incredibly complex, and can fall victim to serious ecological consequences when disturbed by human activity. Increased vehicle traffic at oil drilling sites contributes significantly to noise pollution in wildlands. Wild mammals and birds respond to noise disturbances with short-term avoidance behavior, which become habituated. Negative impacts include disruption of bird communication in breeding and nesting seasons, as well as altered predator and prey dynamics. Mammals habituated to traffic may be more vulnerable to road kill.”

Yet another girl, the one that was talking to the Emperor previously, spoke up. “Oil operations on land require drilling fluids that are injected into the wellbore to lubricate the drilling bit. These fluids are supposed to be captured in lined pits for disposal, but very often they are spilled and splashed around the well pad. The devastating cumulative effects of numerous small spills on land present long-term environmental impacts and chronic health effects including the potential risk of cancer. Open pits, ponds, and lagoons can contain wastewater, organic chemicals, petroleum hydrocarbons, surfactants and other substances which compromise the safety of water that traditional peoples drink. Pipeline explosions and wells can cause drinking water problems by cross-contaminating with fresh spring water. Development of gas wells may even require releases of methane and myriad toxic gases into the atmosphere.”

“Construction activities associated with oil and gas drilling leave behind radical impacts to the landscape. Well pad and road construction require the use of heavy equipment such as bulldozers, road graders and gravel trucks. Development of oil and gas complexes strip the environment of vegetation, Increase erosion and the opportunity for weed infestation. They also disturb the land’s ground surface, seriously fragment once unspoiled wildlife habitats, and the impacts caused to public lands by construction of oil and gas sites are often irreversible,” a young man added.

Oh, the Ghantish Environmental Protection Agency is going to have it’s work cut out for them, Simon thought as he stayed at his post, looking out towards the crowd that had apparently been gathering numbers throughout the day. GEPA was one of the strictest agencies in all of Ghant, and perhaps the region and the world when it came to promoting strict adherence to environmentally conscious policies. Malderi Haribec was really the first to emphasis it, doing so in the 1940s, and every government administration since has carried that on…some more seriously than others.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
XX XXX
XX XXX

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads