NATION

PASSWORD

The Nova (OOC thread, sign-up, FT)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Unified Western States
Negotiator

Founded: May 12, 2008
Ex-Nation

The Nova (OOC thread, sign-up, FT)

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:27 pm

For those of you who have seen Event Horizon, this is similar to that.

Here is the link to the new thread: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=35052
Here is the link to the V2.0 Restarted Thread: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=40958

Plotline:
The WSRS Nova It was the most advanced research ship owned by the UWS government. At 2,000 feet long and with a crew of 1,400 it was larger than the largest UWS Navy dreadnought. But most of its odd form, at large rhombus shaped front with a flat top and huge bulky rear, was taken up by scientific equipment, including its experimental dark particle drive. At its launch ceremony, the ship was hailed as the future of humanity. It had research facilities for dark matter, particle research, medicine, biotechnology, every aspect one could imagine. Its maiden voyage was to visit a large dying star on the edge of the solar system and try to find out more about the beginning of the universe. The ship left on January 6th, 2895. It was supposed to be back on December 21st, 2900. Instead, it vanished. Gone. No sign of it at all. Search teams were sent out to find the ship. But no sign of it was ever found. The crew was declared missing with low chance of recovery and the ship, a two-hundred billion dollar project, was declared MIA as well. And that was the end of it.

Until now. The ship has reappeared, on the out edges of the universe, far from where it should have been. A freighter, stumbling upon it, has gone dark as well. And now a simple Morse code transmission has been broadcasting on a weak frequency across the regional area, the fate of its crew unknown.

So, these are the rules:

• No single line posts
• No massive fleets
• No OOC comments in the IC thread
• Control at most a team or two of people, no more than 40 people total
• If you are a civilian ship that finds the Nova, then you can have a few more people, since they are not trained soldiers
• You must be willing to have a some of your guys die/go insane
Last edited by Unified Western States on Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Ularn
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ularn » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:54 pm

I'll sign up for this. I could have the message picked up by a scout or perhaps the ship might have appeared in my area of space or the frieghter belonged to the Ularn. Whatever works for you, but basically we've got an excuse to check this thing out.

As for my contribution, the Ularn would probably send out one light warship of some sort - possibly a corvette or similar. Any more than that to investigate a few derelicts would be overkill.

The usual complement for an Ularn Ship is a crew of about a hundred plus a platoon of fifty warriors in an attached dropship. I know this goes over your stated limit but I can't think of a good way to justify cutting it down since I don't think a warship could be realistically crewed with any less. I doubt it will make a huge difference though since I'll only have perhaps half a dozen characters while the rest will be redshirts, and I'm more than happy to have everybody die or go insane.

That okay?
Last edited by The Ularn on Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK
PUPPET OF BARRETTSTIA

The New Federation 1
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jan 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The New Federation 1 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:57 pm

I'd happily join this. I'll send the Enterprise if you don't mind. A Soveriegn Class ship. I know it's got a large crew, but is it hte ships crew that's limited, or the people that go onto the ship?
The United Federation of Planets

F799
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 08, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby F799 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:00 pm

This sounds like a fun idea. Id be willing to have a frieghter or something of the like arive on scene. My one question pertains to the fact that F799's entire nation is mechanical in nature, would this effect the whole going insane thing? I am stil interested either way, it just will depend on what team/characters I decide to send.
If I have posted/done something to offend anyone (godmodded, etc etc) please shoot me a telegram and I will try and make it right!

I reserve the right to respectfully withdraw from any threads in which the OP has become inactive within for over a week or to incorporate the thread and a chosen outcome of my choice into this nations history for future RP purposes.

Northern Rangeria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Rangeria » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:12 pm

Hm. Most of the ships in my FT fleet carry quite a number of Jaegers along with the crew... but perhaps a pirate crew of army rogues and deserters operating on a jury-rigged ship would suffice?

Fool's Hope
Magellan-class light cruiser
original designation: KATK Hopeful
+++ incapacitated and deserted in the Battle of Tribute +++
+++ commandeered by a detachment of military personnel gone rogue +++

Notable crew members:

Levi Ahokas
- CO of the Fool's Hope
- Human male, 36
- former Jaeger Captain in Principality Space Corps
- Wanted for desertion, dereliction of duty, acts of piracy

Samuel "Luk" Lukander
- XO of Fool's Hope
- Human male, 51
- former Jaeger Warrant Officer in Principality Space Corps
- Wanted for desertion, dereliction of duty, resisting arrest, two counts of murder, acts of piracy

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:40 pm

Blah, I was considering having a Hyperion stumble across this, but they have a crew almost ten times the size limit.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:12 pm

The Ularn wrote:I'll sign up for this. I could have the message picked up by a scout or perhaps the ship might have appeared in my area of space or the frieghter belonged to the Ularn. Whatever works for you, but basically we've got an excuse to check this thing out.

As for my contribution, the Ularn would probably send out one light warship of some sort - possibly a corvette or similar. Any more than that to investigate a few derelicts would be overkill.

The usual complement for an Ularn Ship is a crew of about a hundred plus a platoon of fifty warriors in an attached dropship. I know this goes over your stated limit but I can't think of a good way to justify cutting it down since I don't think a warship could be realistically crewed with any less. I doubt it will make a huge difference though since I'll only have perhaps half a dozen characters while the rest will be redshirts, and I'm more than happy to have everybody die or go insane.

That okay?

A bit over the limit is ok. And I'm more concerned about those who would send a massive army onboard the ship, not the complement of the ships itself.

So ya, your accepted.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:13 pm

The New Federation 1 wrote:I'd happily join this. I'll send the Enterprise if you don't mind. A Soveriegn Class ship. I know it's got a large crew, but is it hte ships crew that's limited, or the people that go onto the ship?

its the people you send onto the Nova that counts. As i said above, I just don't want massive armies flooding it.

Accepted.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:14 pm

F799 wrote:This sounds like a fun idea. Id be willing to have a frieghter or something of the like arive on scene. My one question pertains to the fact that F799's entire nation is mechanical in nature, would this effect the whole going insane thing? I am stil interested either way, it just will depend on what team/characters I decide to send.

Well, the going insane part is from well, psychological stress and some other devious things, but if your robots/mechanic droids are as smart as humans or such, then I could still probably find a way to fry their circuit.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:15 pm

Northern Rangeria wrote:Hm. Most of the ships in my FT fleet carry quite a number of Jaegers along with the crew... but perhaps a pirate crew of army rogues and deserters operating on a jury-rigged ship would suffice?

Fool's Hope
Magellan-class light cruiser
original designation: KATK Hopeful
+++ incapacitated and deserted in the Battle of Tribute +++
+++ commandeered by a detachment of military personnel gone rogue +++

Notable crew members:

Levi Ahokas
- CO of the Fool's Hope
- Human male, 36
- former Jaeger Captain in Principality Space Corps
- Wanted for desertion, dereliction of duty, acts of piracy

Samuel "Luk" Lukander
- XO of Fool's Hope
- Human male, 51
- former Jaeger Warrant Officer in Principality Space Corps
- Wanted for desertion, dereliction of duty, resisting arrest, two counts of murder, acts of piracy

A pirate crew would be perfect.

Accepted.

Khornate Worshippers
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 31, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Khornate Worshippers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:29 pm

Having watched Event Horizon, may I say how good it is we finally got a full 40k RP going?

If its possible, I'm going to use this as a bit of plot in my overall scheme of things (ie, my side splitting into Chaos and Loyalists), which means that while some of my people go insane, can I still control them?
FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

Hey, Dash, why do they call it a hacksaw? It doesn't hack, that's what I was doing with the knife!
Da orkz is da best.
A new member of the Allied Independent States, and NATO.
#QVMV

Vorlon Prime
Attaché

Founded: May 21, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Vorlon Prime » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:34 pm

Axis Nova wrote:Blah, I was considering having a Hyperion stumble across this, but they have a crew almost ten times the size limit.

Well, as he says, it's the people you send on it. Though you could always go the whole hog and use an Explorer ship. >.>

Personally, I'm thinking of a small time cargo crew (think Firefly) crew with a Vorlon 'passenger' in there on his own mission that becomes irrelevant as fecal matter impacts the rotory impellers. As time goes on, he'd exert more resources to try and save the people he's with.

UWS: Is it acceptable for one character to have a second (automated light warship) vessel standing by to be summoned, say, half an hour's FTL away while the characters turn up in something barely spaceworthy?

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:42 pm

Vorlon Prime wrote:
Axis Nova wrote:Blah, I was considering having a Hyperion stumble across this, but they have a crew almost ten times the size limit.

Well, as he says, it's the people you send on it. Though you could always go the whole hog and use an Explorer ship. >.>

Personally, I'm thinking of a small time cargo crew (think Firefly) crew with a Vorlon 'passenger' in there on his own mission that becomes irrelevant as fecal matter impacts the rotory impellers. As time goes on, he'd exert more resources to try and save the people he's with.

UWS: Is it acceptable for one character to have a second (automated light warship) vessel standing by to be summoned, say, half an hour's FTL away while the characters turn up in something barely spaceworthy?

thats possible. Just don't flood the nova with people.

Northern Rangeria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Northern Rangeria » Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:44 pm

Vorlon Prime wrote:

May I just say 'Bravo' on that use of polite synonyms to the well-known phrase? Personally I prefer to express it as bovine by-product making contact with the oscillating unit.

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:38 pm

Alright, I think we have enough people. I'm going to open an IC thread.

Khornate Worshippers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Khornate Worshippers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:44 pm

So am I allowed in?
FOR MAN WITHOUT EXPENSIVE SUIT, BIG BLACK MERCEDES, AND MASSIVE YACHT, BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN IS FOR PRETENDING OF BE RICH LIKE BLACK GANGSTER OF AMERICAN CITY WITH GOLD CHAINS OF LOW QUALITY AND JEWELS OF COLORED GLASS. WHEN YOU EXPLAIN USE OF BELGIAN FIVE SEVEN PISTOL IS ONLY FOR SHOOT MAN WITH BULLET VEST WITH CARTRIDGE ILLEGAL TO CIVILIAN, THIS MAN HAS NUCLEAR RAGE. WHOLE IDENTITY OF THIS MAN IS SPENT IN PRETEND PISTOL SHOWS HE IS RICH. IS VERY AMUSE.

Hey, Dash, why do they call it a hacksaw? It doesn't hack, that's what I was doing with the knife!
Da orkz is da best.
#QVMV

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:48 pm

I'm afraid I don't quite see the connect between 40K and Event Horizon. And yes, you can still control your crazy guys, to a point.

Khornate Worshippers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Khornate Worshippers » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:51 pm

Event Horizon is the one where a ship goes to Hell, isn't it? Its just like the Warp.

Da orkz is da best.
#QVMV

Unified Western States
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Unified Western States » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:53 pm

Yes, i guess so. Alright, you can join. I'll just watch and see how this plays out.

Cotenshire
Bureaucrat

Founded: Sep 02, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Cotenshire » Fri Jan 29, 2010 8:09 pm

May I join? I would bring two androids in an unarmed 20m shuttle.

The Ularn
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 18, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ularn » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:40 am

Uh guys, I'm not sure that UWS intended this to be a fleet war RP. Shooting at each other this early might spoil it.

Also, just going to point out now that starting a firefight right on the edge of Ularn space is probably not the smartest of ideas. I know I was only sending a corvette, but if explosions start happening on my doorstep then expect the heavies to show up. TNF1's already on shaky diplomatic grounds with us and aside from which you already have a bit of an idea of what our heavier ships can do. In short, start a fight here and you will all lose.
Many Worlds; One Ring!
FACTBOOK
PUPPET OF BARRETTSTIA

Khornate Worshippers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Khornate Worshippers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:46 am

Its what my admiral would have thought, though.

* ship is sending a distress signal
* Second ship there, warship, weaponry consistent with damage done to ship we're trying to rescue
* This warship is the attacker. Kill it, and we'll have peace.

Da orkz is da best.
#QVMV

The New Federation 1
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Federation 1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:48 am

For the Record.
He fired on me, and your ship will have seen that.
The Enterprise will promptly defeat it's aggressor and then continue it's rescue mission on the Nova as if nothing had happened. Besides Ularn, Robins a completely different type of officers to the Buracrats your guys met.

Khornate Worshippers
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Khornate Worshippers » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:53 am

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Your ship will easily kill mine?

Your ship is the approximately 0.6km one, isn't it?

Mine is 4km, mate. You don't have the weaponry to equal mine, let alone beat it.

Da orkz is da best.
#QVMV

The New Federation 1
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby The New Federation 1 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:57 am

THe Soveriegn Class ships shields have a Cacacity of 5,737,500 TeraJoules
One Volly by yourship was only 20 Terajoules

My Calculations tell me that my shields alone can hold up against your vollies for 286,875 times. Also, the Soverign class ship is smaller and much faster,. THe Phaser arrays total output is 100,000 Terra Watts in one attack, i also have Photons capable of 70+ Isotone detonations as well as Photons capable of fourty.

Size and number of weapons isn't the issue. It's quality.
Last edited by The New Federation 1 on Sat Jan 30, 2010 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents