NATION

PASSWORD

Tales from Greater Dienstad (short stories only)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Abetton
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 05, 2021
Father Knows Best State

Postby Abetton » Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:16 pm

TITLE: A Day With a Princess
AUTHOR: Abetton

Typing and hammering away at her keyboard, young author Sorisana Valbalar, in the deep throws of writing her next masterpiece? Okay maybe that's going a bit far, of course her books were popular, but most critics said they were pulpy, derivative, simple, etc. Well it really didn't matter because they were popular among younger readers and thus Sori was laughing all the way to the bank. Eh sort of. She honestly was quite serious, a bit stoic, not by choice, just more how she developed. Her gift with the written word is how she really communicated best but steadily day by day, she found her voice outside the pages of her books and into the real world. Well anyway, "Save" She said "Good, another chapter done!" She stretched and threw herself onto the bed, she thought it was still the middle of the night but checking her phone and wow, it was actually 8:18 in the morning? She'd been writing all night it seemed, when did she wake up? She honestly wasn't sure herself. Her large room was always dark, always quite, always still, the heavy drapes blocking out the sunlight, you'd think she was a vampire from her novels or something. A knock at the door with the entering (Without actually being told to come in) of her editor, one Miss Kathryn Hale. "Morning, Sorisana, I heard you finally stopped typing so figured it was a good time to enter."

"Don't tell me you've been out there all night, have you?"

"No, no, I only got here about 15 minutes ago. Glad to see you getting going early this morning, that's my little go-getter."

"Actually, I've been typing since last night. I tried to sleep but I just had a great plot in my head I had to get it out somehow."

"Ooh so I guess you're still working then on your manuscript for Annora huh?" Annora being her next book, a fresh new tale about another one of her many fantasy princesses that inhabited her vast world she created. "Oh that? No this was back to Ashlan's journey to the Forbidden Island. Annora is done." Sori gestured to the USB drive sitting on her desk, fancily labeled with Annora on it.

"Already? You only started that two months ago."

"Read it and I''ll make the changes you want. What can I say, the inspiration struck me since talking with that one actress when I went to Kyrenaia."

"You never cease to surprise me, Sorisana. You'll have my notes and feedback then next week. Meantime, I have something else I wanted to talk to you about."

Sorisana sat up seeing Kathryn scan the room a bit and then ask her, "Now that I think about it...Where is that cute little assistant of yours?"

"Oh, I sent Dani and her mom on a trip together to Sauville. Can you believe her mother, Madame Corisan has never been?"

"Maybe a bit but maybe it's not that surprising, from what you've told me about your assistant and her mom about living here in the rural mountains working horses I guess I'm not that surprised..."

She trailed off a second because suddenly Sori's eyes glazed over as she was looking away, clearly lost in thought "Hey, hey!"

"Ah, sorry. You just gave me a new idea is all." Sorisana often spaced out because her mind was always sparking some kind of new idea. Not every idea she had would ever turn into a full novel or short story or really anything but sometimes they could find their way into scenes within her current line of work.

"I'm glad your mind is always ticking, Sorisana but ahem, let me get back to the point, I actually didn't come to pick anything up this time, rather I had a request for you. Seems you have a personal invite from Castle Lieke."

Hearing that Sorisana could only think, Ugh no more parties, they were exhausting and mentally draining more than fun. She wouldn't say that out loud, it is part of her job though to go mix and mingle with people. It's not like she hated people or anyone, her mind and development as a person is just different from most. Honestly, people were sure she would grow up to be mute.

"I appreciate an invitation from His Majesty but I really should work more and I do have school..." She had that as an excuse at least. She assumed the King because she had been summoned a few times before usually to help promote this or that related to the fine arts or culture to the youth of the Kingdom and often because she was the easiest to get on short notice. Again her works may be popular but hardly held as works of great art.

"Oh it's not from His Highness the King, or really any of the Royal Family, It's from a chamberlain in service to the Princess Chrysanthe asking if you might have an audience with the young Princess."

Sorisana practically leapt from one end of her bed to the other, "To deny such a request is paramount to treason and punishable by my head!"

"Eh, I think that's an overreaction..." Kathryn chuckled awkwardly

"Thus I shall go." Sorisana shed off her nightgown quickly dressing into a nice red dress and doing up her own hair.

"That easy? A second ago you were ready to weasel out of an engagement now you want to go?" Kathryn could hardly believe her eyes at the speed of a girl who probably didn't sleep more than a couple hours move like she did. As Sorisana paced around getting herself dressed and ready to go, not even knowing it was the same day but even if it wasn't why wait?

"One on one, I'm better at, compared to large parties. Besides I heard Her Young Highness likes my work at least. And I've always wanted to meet the Youngest Princess." She honestly wanted to meet the Prince and Princess too.

"Well I'm sure she's eager to meet you so I suppose that's a yes from you."

"It's a yes. Set it up, I'll do it."

"Well, great. It's actually tomorrow, I imagine you'd want to sleep first..."

"I'll sleep on the train ride down to Sauville and out to Lampsea. Would it be much to arrange a horse carriage to take me there?"

"That's a bit much, Sorisana, I'm sure a car is easier to arrange."

"If you say so, a car is fine."

"I truly do think you were born in the wrong time." Kathryn shook her head "Anyway, all right I'll take you to the station and by the time you arrive in Sauville it'll be set up. Do sleep, okay, you should look your best."

"Yes ma'am." Sorisana replied.

"I'll also inform your mother of your trip. Do call her, I know you probably don't think it but she does actually care about you." Kathryn a mother herself can relate, raising kids is tough but raising someone like Sorisana is probably tougher.

A long train ride later went by in a flash. Sorisana had a luxury coach to herself and she spent it mostly sleeping as she promised, the rhythmic motion of the train made it easy to rest for her, not prone to motion sickness but she did wonder how she'd do at sea. She had to find out sometime but today would not be this day. Being awoken by a rail worker telling her they've arrived in Sauville. Grabbing her bag, Sorisana stepped down to the platform, greeted by the driver sent by the company and the next leg of her journey began. Castle Liek, is actually based on Lampsea Island, it's a very small island just off the coast, a couple hours by car. It doesn't just have the castle but a whole town as well with ordinary people living their lives in it, nothing compared to the metropolis Sauville is now but it's so quaint and picturesque it's charm is irresistible. The drive pleasant weaving through the streets of Sauville, over the Sola Bridge to the forests of the island, through the town itself and finally to the castle. Nestled so inland of the island you'd forget you were on an island itself. The song and dance of passing security checks and gates was done and out to greet Sorisana was the lady's Chamberlain herself, Margaret Wayne, a fairly young woman in her 20s, long black hair, piercing blue eyes, dolled in the cutest pretty black and white maid dress. Anywhere else in the world, she might look like she's on her way to a costume party rather than work but Abetton is not most places.

"Miss Valbalar." She greeted with a bright smile "Thank you so much for coming. I hope this isn't a terrible bother given this is an unoffical call."

"Unoffical you say?"

"Y-yes...I'm sorry did your Publisher not tell you that?"

"I am afraid she did not. She told me Her Young Royal Highness asked for an audience with me."

"Oh I am sorry. There may be a slight miscommunication. It was not her Highness that called you here but me."

Sorisana was more confused than annoyed. Does that mean this maid asked for her and not The Princess? Far be it from her to deny a willing fan a chance to meet but she did book signings and press tours around Sauville often it wouldn't be hard to just see her there. "This is more of a surprise for My Lady. She has been ill last several days and feeling pretty lonely at that. She had to miss out on a school trip because of her health and I was hoping to do something to raise her spirits."

Sorisana smiled "I see. There is no issue I find that commendable. I still wish to meet Her and I hope I can help a little bit."

"Ah delightful, thank you so much! Please do follow me." Leading Sorisana inside Margaret lead her through a few fancy doors, halls and up some stairs. "Miss Valbalar is this your first time in Castle Liek?"

"Yes it is. I have visited Castle Sauville." Not that amazing really, Castle Savuille is a tourist attraction now a days, hasn't functioned as the main home of the Royal Family for years now.

"Ah yes I've been there too, It truly is amazing isn't it. For all the trials our great nation has gone through it has stood as the one hallmark of our country. I guess quite a bit like the castles and monuments in your books too."

Their idle chatter continued as they made way around the grounds as Margaret explained, "I am not quite sure Her Highness is awake yet but she should be coming around soon. At least I will have to check her temperature and give her medicine soon. Allow me to please have you walk around. after all it must have been such a long trip down you must want to stretch your legs" Sorisana couldn't deny that much at least it was nice to walk around and see the castle. Nothing beat getting to see things with her own two eyes to better write about them. Just before the maid and author arrived at the Princess's bedchambers, she was actually quite awake and out of bed. Her morning was spent playing some video games before changing to playing with her stuffed animals. Now she was pretending to be a Military Commander addressing her troops, one day she hoped she'd get to do this for real like her father, mother, grandparents before her, like her older brother and older sister for now she was still the frail little girl hoping to get big and strong and hoping her imagination for now could do that.

As the Princess in her gown marched up and down the length of her stuffed toys laid out before her she spoke with a confident firm tone, "Men, Women. We've marched a long ways. But we still have more to go. I realize this isn't an easy trek. But remember who we are fighting for. They are counting on us to bring about a new order of things. To guard our ways of trade..." All buzz words she'd pick up from listening to her father or mother talk business of the kingdom even if she didn't fully understand everything about it. A knock at her door made her jump back into bed as Margaret entered. "Good morning, Milady." She wished the Princess opening the drapes poperly "I hope you slept well."

"Mhm. I did." Chrys replied. Sitting up, even though just a moment she was up and Margaret could see that given the animals were all neatly aligned in a long row but she let it be. Taking a few moments to check her temperature and give her medicine "Well your fever is down and still down so that's great news there. But I've got something better for you. A special guest for you"

Chrys was curious who could it be but her eyes went wide when it was none other than Sorisana Valbalar! "N-no way! Miss Margaret did you arrange this?"

"I sure did, Milady. I thought you would like it."

Squealing with delight Chrys gave her maid a hug and then ran to greet Sorisana. "It's really you! I just love all your books I'm so excited."

"I-I am flattered you do, Your Highness. I hope though I am not disturbing you so early just after waking from your sleep."

Chrys whispered "To tell you the truth I've been up since 7 this morning."

"I heard that." Margaret replied with a sing song voice and a smile

"Eeeeh"

"As long as you are rested, Milady it is fine but remember to rest."

"Yes Ma'am."

"Well I will be spending the day with you, Your Highness," Sorisana said "So anything you'd like to do I shall do"

"The-then you will talk with me about your books?"

"Of course, that's what I am here for after all."

"My Papa - that is I mean My Father the King, just this one time, he met someone famous he really liked and he told him he had no interest talking about that with him."

"I assure you Highness, I want nothing more than to talk about my work with someone like you. I imagine Miss Margaret here has breakfast ready for you, will you share with me?"

"Ah I'd love to! We can have breakfast in the garden together! Will you go and wait for me there while I get dressed? Have some tea while you wait!"

"Very well I shall be there." With the help of another maid Sorisana was guided to the gardens to patiently wait for her companion to join her. It wasn't too long before the Princess did dressed in a very nice looking dress she was. "I don't always dress this fancy except for special occasions." Chrys explained "And this is a special occasion!" The next few hours between eating and tea was a all out discussion with young Princess Chrysanthe. No matter what question or absurd thought Sorisana could find a way to indulge even if there was an aspect Sorisana hadn't intended to have any deeper meaning than she wrote it she could praise the Princess "See that is creative thinking!" Sorisana praised, "I hadn't even considered it like that, you truly have the mind of a young author."

"What? Me, ah nooo I don't think so. I did uh..." Chys blushed looking away. "Well I do write some fan fiction. It's silly I know especially when you write it..."

"May I read some?"

"Y-you'd want to read it? But it's no good. I hardly get any reads online as it is."

"Perhaps, but being no good does not mean it's without merit. It just means it has room to grow more." Back in her room Princess Chysanthe did show Sorisana her work. Sori honest but gentle "They are good. You do capture my little witches very well."

"You really think so?"

"I do. But perhaps you could try this..." She gave her a few simple tips to spice and punch up the writing "Like I said, no writing is without merit only room for growth. And you can grow as big as you want with more at it. Like the take the scene where Lobita is running away from the Cerberus. You have a scary dream where you are running away from something?"

"yeah!"

"Did you see what it was?"

"Well no, I just sort of knew the monster was there. And I remember feeling scared and wanting to cry in the dream and when I woke up."

"Exactly so. Sometimes it's not what you see but the senses it gives you. Rather than hanging all the prose on the creature, get into Lobita's head. After all, Lobita is your character. She is our vessel to how we see this story. It's not a textbook where being informative is the most important point, the point is your audience feels what she feels or understands why she feels that."

"Y-yeah! I get that! Yeah I'll do that."

A few more reads and tips later Sorisana did ask "My Lady, this one I really do like. I'd love to add it to one of my chapters of Princess Ashlan's adventures. Would you be against me taking your story for my use?"

"I....I!" This was such a fantasy itself, a dream come true, who'd a thought an author would ever want to take something their fan made. But Sorisana was not most authors. "I'd be so honored, Miss Sorisana!"

"I'd be delighted to credit you too."

But Chrys surprisingly shook her head. "No no. I don't want the credit for this. One day I will write my own great story that people will love all on my own. You taught me a whole lot about writing just today than I usually get in my classes."

"I wouldn't feel write about not giving you proper credit, Highness."

"Mmm then how about a code name. My name means Golden Flower, so how about dedicated to golden flower. We both know what it will mean and it can be our special secret."

Smiling Sorisana nodded "That sounds reasonable."

The next few hours weren't spent cooped up but getting to see more the castle itself, and even getting to go out in town. Again Chrysanthe had to change to something a bit more practacle to be a little less conspicuous. The only one with them was Margaret and she assured she was more than capable of protecting the young princess. Not exactly masters of disguise but not standing out to draw a lot of attention than needed. A beautiful day in the port town, getting to see a few sights, see the ocean. Chrys so wanted to go for a swim but Margaret insisted against it "Not without your doctor's okay, Princess."

Chrysanthe sighed a bit "Yes ma'am."

"Must be tough to be sick so often, huh?" Sorisana asked

"It is. I miss a lot of fun things, like my whole class went on the ferry to Sauville. They get to go to the theater, the opera house, Parliament, fun stores. I'm stuck here because I got sick again."

She wish she knew how to console her, Sorisana had her own issues she dealt with but she felt a kinship, the Princess has a weak body, Sorisana has a weak mind, so to speak. "You know when I was your age...I didn't speak at all." This is a half truth she did but she had a terrible speech impediment which made her embarrassed so she kept quite and in the solace of her books and writing. "Folks thought I'd just grow up to be silent and dumb. But I showed them didn't I? Right now you are small and your body is weak but I know you will grow up to be big and strong too. Because our minds are strong already. A strong mind can lead to a strong body" Was that true? She had no idea but she wanted to assure the young Princess and Chrys smiling seemed to take the words to heart as she polished off a vanilla ice cream cone. A Tranquil moment of enjoying the sight of the shimmering ocean and the boats upon her ended at the castle yet again with a photo being taken. informal with the exchanging of a few phones to snap pics from different angels and perspectives. It was nice not having it to be a big press event or so much fuss just like being with friends and taking pictures. "It is late and I must be going now." Sorisana regretted that she had to part but she was right she did have school to go back to next day and it was a long trip home.

"I understand" Chys agreed. "Thank you for coming to me, you really did cheer me up today!"

"I am glad I could do so." With that their day had come to an end, Sorisana returned to her home and Chrys went about her life as the Princess and a little girl trying her best to take things one day at a time. Her biggest joy though came just a month later when she picked up a new book from Sorisana, just published. On the front page there was a "quote" so to speak. A golden flower shines like a lantern, deep on the island in a sea of stardust. attributed to "Anonymous." Critics read it as someone with no grasp of poetry, some wondered if it was a Katasean Haiku, devoted readers felt this was some clever foreshadowing of things to come, and some readers figured it was cryptic phrase to sound fancy without meaning anything. But the Princess knew and it made her smile. She wouldn't tell anyone about it, it was her own special secret she'd keep to herself and her diary and stuffed animals. As she curled up in bed reading her latest book, she spoke aloud "That golden flower is me, Mr. Fuzz" She said to her giant stuffed bear next to her. "But that's our secret so shhh" She said with a smile and a wink putting her fingers to her shushing expression.

Previous

Return to International Incidents