NATION

PASSWORD

A Rough in the Diamonds [Semi-open, MT]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Stoklomolvi
Minister

Founded: May 02, 2007
New York Times Democracy

A Rough in the Diamonds [Semi-open, MT]

Postby Stoklomolvi » Tue Jan 26, 2010 1:09 am

[If you are not from Lisosia or Tarquinia, you may only post non-one-liner commentary in this thread. If you are from either region, ask any of the current participants for permission to join; otherwise, you must follow the above restriction. Currently involved are Kagetora, Leistung, Oseato, and Stoklomolvi.]

Image[float=right]

Domestic News - Economic Crisis

Image Comment (79514302)
Image Recommend (44078236)
Image E-mail
Image Share
Image Print
Image Reprints & permissions[/float]

Collapse of largest Stoklomolvi diamond mine launches country into crisis
Diamond-backed Stoklomolvi currency wavering as diamond supply vanishes

[float=right]Image[/float]The largest diamond mine in Stoklomolvi, located in the Siberian region in northern Stoklomolvi, collapsed three days ago after a shaft support collapsed due to an unknown cause. Working in the affected region of the mine at the time included over two thousand miners, one thousand of whom have been marked as missing and the remainder marked as wounded. Authorities are currently looking into the matter, and it is hoped that the miners will be found as soon as possible. It is likely that the mine was sabotaged; three espionage agents were captured within a day of each other a month prior, and each one was armed with a high explosive charge that they were apparently going to place in the mine. The information was extracted after several hours of psychological torture before the suspects were executed. The saboteurs were of, unsurprisingly, Siberian origin, as it is well-known that the Siberian Natives would take whatever steps necessary to topple the Stoklomolvi state.

Catastrophe looms over the horizon

As the national currency of Stoklomolvi, the stoklomov, is diamond-backed, the destruction of the largest source of diamonds would cause massive economic instability should the national stockpile of diamonds run out. While the seven million tonne reserve is not likely to exhaust itself any time soon, the possibility remains, and a new source of diamonds must be found as soon as possible lest some unfortunate circumstance suddenly drain the diamond reserve and plunge Stoklomolvi into a new definition of economic depression. The Stoklomolvi government has balanced several options.

One, wear it out, and simply rely on the current stock of diamonds until a new diamond mine can be constructed. This is the riskiest strategy, as there is no safety net for Stoklomolvi to fall back on and the reserve of diamonds may exhaust itself at any time. Few have supported this option at its conception in the National People's Congress.

Two, find a new source, and build new smaller diamond mines to supplement the current tiny diamond income until a larger, more stable source can be found. This idea has gained vociferous support.

Three, switch to the gold standard. This idea has virtually no support.

Following a poll conducted by the SCNA of the Stoklomolvi people, almost ninety five percent [95%] voted in favour of finding a new source. Currently, the options available are to invade a small country or colonise a diamond-rich area. Neither is too appealing to the rather moderate government, but to the jingoistic population many have advocated an invasion of Xin Han for its treacherous secession during one of the early civil wars in Stoklomolvi history. The government has found the diamond sources in Xin Han to be dubious at best.

Worst possible crisis in the history of modern Stoklomolvi

Even after the Third Stoklo-Kagetorian War, the economy of Stoklomolvi was still growing and industrialising, whereas now the rate of growth is beginning to slow and may eventually diminish to zero. It is currently uncertain as to what degree the economic crisis resulting from the diamond shortage would entail. Experts have stated that the shortage "may cause massive inflation if not checked, and thus demolish the Stoklomolvi industrial sector and by extension the entire country." Sensationalism surrounding the issue has been discouraged by the government, with the official line being that "Panic will only exacerbate the situation and will help nobody."

So far, the Stoklomolvi government has artificially begun to steady the exchange rate of the stoklomov by modifying the number of banknotes existing in circulation. As this can only last for so long, a new source is needed desperately, and the people have begun staging rallies in support of "an invasion to protect the welfare of over five billion people." Jingoism runs rampant amongst the population.

More on this issue as the information updates.

Copyright 2015 Stoklomolvi Central News Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.scna.gov.scf/articles/273015894/
© 2015 Stoklomolvi Central News Agency
Demonym: Stoklomolvi
Stoklomolvi Liaoist Federation
Factbook -- Interpol -- Liaoism (old) -- News Agency (old) -- Commerce Comissariat -- Minyang
Defensive Preparedness: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Nuclear Launch Protocol: А | Б | В | Г | Д
Leader: Commissar Vladimir Mikhailovich Stuyonovich

Leistung
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leistung » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:50 am

Kassel, Östland
Federal Parliament Building

Though it was winter in Östland, the temperature still remained a balmy seventy degrees Fahrenheit, and the midday sun baked the assembled members of Parliament as they took their seats in the chamber. The Chief Minister of the Leistungi Union member-state banged his gavel on the podium once, and then twice in a seemly futile attempt to quiet the room of irate MPs.

“Please, ladies and gentlemen,” he said into the microphone, his voice carrying over the chamber’s sound system. “If you would take your seats, we are ready to commence this session of Parliament.” With a few last grumbles the men and women sat, eyes fixed on Chief Minister Klein and ears on alert for any sounds of the apparently malfunctioning air conditioning system. “Thank you.”

“I hold in my hand a publication of the Stoklomolvi Central News Agency.” He held up the newspaper, emblazoned with the seal of the publisher. “By now I am quite certain that I do not need to explain its contents, but for the official record I will summarize it briefly. Within, it outlines the possibility of a Stoklomolvi invasion of a diamond-rich area; such areas are quite rare in Lisosia, and considering both our own proximity to a Stoklomolvi colony and Östland’s immense number of diamond mines, I believe we have good reason to call this meeting of Parliament.”

“With all due respect, Chief Minister, are we to take an article in a Stoklomolvi newspaper as a concrete piece of evidence?” one of the MPs chimed in, drawing the nods of the other Parliament members. “Before we begin calling up the militia, shouldn’t we at least independently verify that the Stoklomolvi government is indeed making moves toward Östland?”

“Sir,” Klein began, adjusting the microphone. “The Bundesheer maintains a presence in Östland consisting of roughly three hundred thousand men. Our militia, were it perfect, could call upon, at most, four hundred thousand. I have just received a phone call from Chancellor Ritter in Leistung who assures me that at least one and a half million Stoklomolvi soldiers, if not more, are stationed in Novaya Zemlya. Sir, these sorts of deployments are not made to ‘ensure domestic tranquility’, or frankly for any other reason other than total war.” There was silence from the Parliament chamber.

“It is for that reason that I ask this Parliament to approve the immediate mobilization of the Östland Militia in response to threats, both direct and indirect, from the Stoklomolvi government and in preparation for a possible military strike on our homeland. I furthermore make a motion to appeal to the Leistungi government in Falkenberg to reestablish diplomatic relations with the Oseaton Federation.” There was an immediate uproar in the chamber, and half of the seats seemed to simply vanish behind a mass of bodies, all of which had risen to shake their fists at the man standing at the podium.

“Gentlemen, please!” he exclaimed, banging his gavel. “There are half a million Oseaton soldiers in Transkooraveld*! We must leave ideology at the door if we hope to prevail against a Stoklomolvi invasion – I do not ask for the honorable members of Parliament to vote for a motion commending Oseaton strides for black political rights in Transkooraveld – only for them to realize that we cannot bear the brunt of an offensive by ourselves. The Oseaton Army bled with us against Tynemouth. Perhaps they will be willing to do the same in defense of a greater cause.” The MPs took their seats again, though several remained seething, texting their aides furiously in an attempt to quickly gauge public opinion.

“We will now take an early vote. All in favor of mobilization of all militia units in Östland?” There was a resounding chorus of ayes, and the Chief Minister tallied the votes quickly. “The motion passes with eighty nine in favor, six opposed, two abstains, and three absentee abstains. All in favor of petitioning the Chancellor to reestablish diplomatic relations with the Oseaton Federation?”

The number of red cards held up quadrupled, and then some. Klein noted the results in the log. “The motion passes with fifty two in favor, forty nine opposed, and three absentee abstains.”

TO: Office of Consul Colton of the Oseaton Federation
FROM: Office of the Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Leistung

Dear Madam,

I am sure you noted that my office declined a telephone call to yours in the wake of my electoral victory over Chancellor Ziegler. It is indeed representative of our two nations’ relationship that we would invade a nation as allies and yet never once make an attempt to reestablish diplomatic ties in the wake of our ambassador’s departure from Austerbeck during the Darfolk Crisis.

Though apologies have been made officially on both sides, to say that resentment remains would be an understatement of colossal proportions. I do not seek another apology, nor do I expect you would accept one from me. Oseato and Leistung will never be the closest of allies, and it would be foolish of my government or yours to assume anything else.

There is, however, a thread that binds us, and it is on this basis that I now appeal to your office. It seems increasingly likely that tensions between Stoklomolvi and Leistung will boil over into open conflict following the decision of the Chief Minister of Östland not to drop the diamond embargo on Stoklomolvi. Should the forces of Stoklomolvi invade and occupy Östland, the delicate balance of power that has allowed democracy and freedom to thrive in Pretoria will be forever destroyed. It is the wish of the Östlander government and of my own foreign ministry in Falkenberg that Leistung be allowed to reopen an embassy in Austerbeck. In exchange, the Federation will be allowed to open embassies in the capitals of every Leistungi Union member-state.

This agreement is underscored by a much more important one, however. I would ask that in the event of a Stoklomolvi or similarly authoritarian attack on the Lisosian holdings of either Leistung or Oseato, the other party be asked to come immediately to the defense of the attacked. In this way, our two nations would allow the continuation of a free and democratic Pretoria for future generations of Oseatons and Leistungis to enjoy.

What I ask is a tall order, certainly. However, with the backing of the Bundestag, the people of Leistung, and the assembled governments of the Leistungi Union, I must ask that your government consider it. There is truly a higher cause to defend in Pretoria.

Sincerely,
Ludwig Ritter
Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Leistung

*OOC: Guess who spelled that right on the first try, Oseato.
Last edited by Leistung on Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
République vertoise
Republic of Vertou

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:06 am

Vladistov Kremlin, Vladistov
0143 hours, General Stoklomolvi Time
Light snowfall, 264.42 Kelvin

26 January 2015
"The Curtains Rise"

Winter in Stoklomolvi was, this year, far warmer than it usually was. While most years the residents of Vladistov would need to wear thick greatcoats to stay warm, this year they shed their coats and simply wore wind-breakers and jackets. There was not much to complain about, as the snow was light and fluffy and the rain was mostly mist. Inside the Kremlin in the centre of the city, warmth radiated from every open window, as heaters had been turned on for the meetings taking place. In the central building of the Vladistov Kremlin, the Commissar of Stoklomolvi Vladimir Stuyonovich and several of his subordinates sat around a large, round table. In front of every man and woman present was a small cup of tea and a set of documents. Once everyone was seated, an eerie silence descended upon the room, and was broken only by the Commissar standing and calmly opening the meeting.

"Comrades, Stoklomolvi is on the brink of financial disaster. The largest diamond mine in the country has suddenly collapsed on itself, and experts have estimated that we only have around one decade left at most before hyperinflation seizes the country by the head and destroys it from the inside out. Finance Commissar Mikhail, not to be confused with our father, has all of the information on the current crisis and on current projections."

Mikhail nodded, and stood. "As the Commissar stated, our country has been kicked off a cliff into an extremely deep financial crisis. We are attempting to lodge ourselves into any crevasse we can find in the side, and we may have found one; one filled to the brim with mud and slop. As the national currency, the stoklomov, runs on the diamond standard as all of you know, we have kept its value stable by keeping the national diamond stockpile stable. Once the diamond supply exhausts itself in ten years, which is inevitably the case due to an outflow of diamonds in industrial production, the exchange rate will plummet, leading to horrible, horrible consequences. The ensuing hyperinflation will consume the Stoklomolvi economy and our once burgeoning Liaoist economic system will vanish.

"An example of hyperinflation can be seen very plainly in the economic crisis of 1892, during which the Third Empire failed to plan for its exhaustion of its silver supply during the Stoklo-Siberian War. A loaf of bread, a single loaf, comrades, costed seven hundred eighty five quintillion stoklomovs. Modern analysts suspect that the imperial treasury only contained several tonnes of silver by the end of the century, down from millions upon millions of tonnes. The only reason that there was any recovery was because of massive government intervention. The imperial government forcibly began burning banknotes and melting down silver utensils, and even considered melting down precious cultural artefacts in palaces to create valuable material to back their failing currency. It was only after 1915 when the government issued a new currency after equalising the value of said currency, at the time called the 'emergency stoklomov,' to a large oil field in the north-western regions did the hyper-inflationary period end. The old stoklomov was scrapped entirely and rendered worthless as a new one was created. It is estimated that the overall gross domestic product of the country fell by sixty two per cent, from around five hundred million international dollars to only one hundred ninety million.

"We cannot have hyperinflation occur again, comrades. Such an occurrence will result in our deaths and the destruction of the Stoklomolvi state."

Silence. After around a minute of people uncomfortably fidgeting in their chairs, the Commissar rose.

"It is imperative that we act, and quickly. To start, we must reconstruct our diamond mine and begin decreasing domestic consumption of diamonds. Our economy will take a hit, but we will recover. We must recover. The people of Zaze, Honshui, Korean Union, Soviet Republik, Estainia, and several other nations are sheltered by the Stoklomolvi nuclear umbrella. If we collapse, I am almost completely certain that some rampaging imperialist nation will stomp over and crush each of our comrades. Knowing that we have a gigantic responsibility upon us, we canno-"

"Apologies for interrupting, sir," interjected Defence Commissar Li Zhangyuan [李张袁], " but would it not be more prudent to quickly stabilise the economy with an invasion? After all, the Leistungi colony of Östland possesses huge numbers of diamond reserves and mines. If we blitz across the border from Novaya Zemlya into Östland and pillage their diamond stockpiles, we would have an estimated extra two decades to construct a new mine. Our intelligence reports that the Leistungis maintain in Östland only around three hundred thousand men. In Novaya Zemlya, we have one million seven hundred thousand infantry, two hundred thousand being regulars and the remainder being colonials. There is no possible way we could lose a brisk little war against the Leistungis; we hold the absolute armour and artillery numerical advantage."

The commissars murmured amongst each other. The plan was extremely bold, and would likely garner hugely negative repercussions from the international community. Then again, the international community already hated Stoklomolvi, so chances are the reaction would be no different from the normal condemnations. The Commissar smirked, nodded his head, and raised his arm.

"All in favour of such a strategy, say I."

Several commissars present replied in the affirmative. Vladimir sighed. "This idea is foolhardy at best. We cannot infringe upon another nation's national sovereignty in such a manner. It would be against our honour to do so."

Zhang Yixian [张逸仙], the other Finance Commissar, replied, "Our honour right now, sir, rests on the demand that we defend our people from this economic crisis. As my co-worker has stated, such an economic crisis will destroy our country; weigh the needs of over six billion nearing seven billion against the needs of a few million, and the scale of such an action emerges. Which is more important? It is quite obvious th-"

"Nonsense!" Oleg Mikhailovich Stuyonovich, Labour Commissar, remarked, hands in the air, "Our people have braved far worse. If 1892 tells us anything it is that the Stelimovs, the Han, the Russians, and everyone in our country are united in the face of danger. I agree with the Commissar. We cannot surrender our honour in obeying all international agreements by marchi-"

"It is because of the 1892 crisis that agricultural production virtually ground to a halt and caused minor famines across the country! If it is impossible for us to last more than a decade on current diamond reserves, we must invade," Agriculture Commissar Pyotr Stuyonovich replied. "Our people's well-being depends on how well-fed they are. If our people are starving, then we can simply forget about protecting our allies and comrades across the seas. We must act now."

The table squabbled for a good ten minutes, and Vladimir placed his face in the palms of his hands as the volume slowly increased. "Invade! Honour! Integrity! Comrades! Labour!" Eventually, he could not bear the arguing.

"Silence!" And the room became silent.

"We have two sides. One argues for an invasion of Östland, the other argues against it. We shall now vote. All in favour of an invasion, press the left button beneath the table. Oppose, right button."

On the screen behind Vladimir was projected the result. Seven in favour, five in opposition. Vladimir voted in the opposition after the fact, raising the number to six.

"As it has become clear that this body demands an invasion, as does over ninety five percent of the Stoklomolvi population, I have but one choice: recommend an invasion to the National People's Congress, which will undoubtedly and swiftly sign any bill I produce. Comrades, we march to war once more!"

Everyone rose and applauded, only dying down after around ten minutes.
Last edited by Stoklomolvi on Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Factbook -- Interpol -- Liaoism (old) -- News Agency (old) -- Commerce Comissariat -- Minyang

Oseato
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Oseato » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:09 pm

To: Chancellor Ritter| From: Office of the Consul of the Oseaton Federasie | Sub: Reestablishment of Diplomatic Relations | Encryption: None

Dear sir,

I guess this would be the appropriate time to congratulate you on your victory over Herr Ziegler, though it is terribly unfortunate that this was not conveyed sooner through the proper diplomatic channels. The wish to reestablish formal diplomatic relations is plainly one that both the Federal Republic and the Federasie share. As such I will be most willing to instruct the appropriate ministers in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs to contact the appropriate representatives of your government and the governments of the other Union states. Naturally we would welcome the reopening of your embassy in Austerbeck, and invite you to establish diplomatic missions in the free state of Transkooraveld in order to work more closely together in Lisosia.

With the threat of the foreign tyranny ever constant in the Lisosian region, the agreement you have proposed is most acceptable to my government. The goal of common security in Pretoria, and Lisosia of a whole, is an important issue which must transcend our past disagreements. I pledge the fullest support of the Oseaton military to defend Leistungi holdings against authoritarian attack, and would naturally welcome any return assistance.

I hope this agreement is not necessary, for the peace and prosperity of both our nations, however I fear that it is only a matter of time before some tyrannic despot takes the opportunity to change the current balance of power in Lisosia. You have my solemn promise of support.

With Sincerity,
Andrea Colton
Consul of the Oseaton Federasie
République morivaine
La Resistance

"If world opinion is too feeble or egoistical to do justice to a martyred people, and if our voices also are too weak, I hope that Hungary’s resistance will endure until the counter-revolutionary State collapses everywhere in the East under the weight of its lies and contradictions."

Albert Camus, The Blood of The Hungarians, 1957

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:37 pm

Vladistov Municipality, Stoklomolvi
1024 hours, General Stoklomolvi Time
Moderate snowfall, 259.22 Kelvin

27 January 2015
"Setting the Board"

Commissar Vladimir sat in his sedan, driving to the Kremlin, all the while watching the scene occurring outside. Apparently, an immigrant youth from Oseato had stolen a loaf of bread, and the baker from whom he stole was furiously shaking the boy and cursing profusely at him. The commotion had garnered the attention of a nearby policeman, who walked over and began arguing with the baker. At the height of the argument, the boy was attempting to slip away when the baker smashed in his face with his knee and hit his head with a dough roller. Around twenty people had gathered, by which point the boy, bleeding on the ground, was crying and trying to crawl away. The policeman grabbed the baker's hand, yelling something about camaraderie and equality, when the baker threw up his arms and walked inside. Vladimir parked his car on the side of the avenue and walked over, joining the crowd as the policeman arrested the boy. Desperately, the boy attempted to wrestle free and run, prompting the policeman to plant his boot into the boy's face and grind him into the pavement before removing his pistol and shooting him behind the ear. The crowd dispersed shortly afterwards.

Vladimir couldn't help but shake his head, and the policeman told him to leave. Vladimir shrugged, adjusted his cap, walked back to his car, and drove off. Through his rear-view mirror, he spotted the policeman shooting the boy again and throwing him into a rubbish bin, snow covering the corpse.

1053 hours, GST
Heavy snowfall, 255.95 Kelvin

"Morning, sir," greeted Foreign Affairs Commissar Sergei Stuyonovich. "Send the message now?"

Vladimir simply nodded and continued through the doors of the first building.

"I'll be right on that."

Sergei scurried off, and Vladimir walked out the back. Ahead was his residence; a monumentally tall building made out of stone and wood, built some five hundred years ago by his ancestors to serve as the royal palace. Inside, he climbed the stairs to his office, walked inside, and sat at his desk. Outside, snow was falling at a steady rate, and the entire courtyard was blanketed with a layer of fluffy snow.

The pieces were falling into place. Every preparation had been made for a blitz invasion of Leistung, and the plans for the later fortifications had been completed. Operation Kapusta was almost complete. All that needed to be done was the casus belli, which was almost finished, and the request to Kagetora, which owed Stoklomolvi for the Stoklo-Kagetorian War that ended with a monumental Kagetorian defeat. As he mused about his options, his phone rang, and one the other side was Sergei.

"Send it in," Vladimir spoke into the speaker, "and wait for their response."

"Aye, sir."

He hung up. Should he mobilise the western armies? Perhaps.

REFERENCE:[float=right]27 JANUARY 2015[/float]

Encryption: 3072 bit encryption
Office of the Shogun
Daibakufu of Kagetora
To: Shogun Tokugawa Ienara
Subject: Article Seventeen

It is time for Kagetora to honour its treaty and come to our aid. The Leistungis and the Oseatons mobilise for war against us, Tokugawa Ienara. Our intelligence reports dictate as such. Thus, we call upon Article Seventeen of the Treaty of Shimonoseki signed at the end of the Stoklo-Kagetorian War, and use one of the two mandatory mutual defence clauses for this war. Should Kagetora refuse to honour its treaty, we will take measures to ensure that it does. We sincerely hope that Kagetora will help us; doing so would strengthen already extremely weak Stoklo-Kagetorian relations.

1429 hours, GST
Blizzard, 251.53 Kelvin

"Ready for publication, sir!"

"Excellent. Inform the Commissar that we're ready."

"Aye, sir!"

The call went through to the Commissar's office, and there Vladimir set down his newspaper and picked up. "You've been granted authorisation."

The next day, the following article would appear.

Image[float=right]

International News - Lisosia

Image Comment (14201)
Image Recommend (3286)
Image E-mail
Image Share
Image Print
Image Reprints & permissions[/float]

Government of Novaya Zemlya declares police action against Östland
Stoklomolvi central government displeased by the initiative from autonomous Novaya Zemlya

[float=left]Image[/float]The government of Novaya Zemlya, an ethnic Mwavi state, recently published findings from its "All Across Africa" [AAA] ethnicity investigation. Many pieces of previously unknown data were discovered in the northern horn of Africa, and invaluable insight into the living habits and daily routines of the Mabagankondekua and Nǃxovimbusoguramharab peoples in southern Africa were revealed to the people of the world. However, one piece of information was reported by the Mwavi investigation prompted much outcry and public outrage amongst the people of Novaya Zemlya. The origin of this particular report was Östland, a Leistungi colonial possession directly to the west of Novaya Zemlya.

"Brutal killings and oppression of our people"

A rapid survey conducted of the population of Novaya Zemlya revealed that 98% of the surveyed people called for immediate diplomatic reprimands of Leistung's conduct in Lisosian Africa, and that Leistung would be required to apologise for the affront to Mwavi people across the world. 58% demanded economic sanctions and punishments against Leistung for the actions, and a 24% called for war against Leistung. The report itself simply included a two-page document on Leistungi racism and attempted genocides against the Mwavi people living in Östland.

"They have committed brutal killings and oppression of our people," stated one irate ethnic Mwavi citizen living in western Novaya Zemlya. "They must be punished for their wrongdoings, and they must learn that they cannot impose their unjust will upon innocent civilians who seek no more than to live freely."

Stoklomolvi government officials have urged for calm, stating that the report "probably did not include all information and left out some crucial details that may place the Leistungi actions under a different light."

However, the government of Novaya Zemlya, acting under the guiding principles of the Nǃxovimbusoguramharab ethnic codes that call for all members of the Mwavi people to be protected equally, has pressed for diplomatic action. An unnamed government representative said at a press conference, "We of Novaya Zemlya are a peaceful people. We do not want war, but we want Leistung to issue a public apology for what it has done to our people and call for Leistung to open its gates to further investigation."

Dogma of hate

In the tropical rainforest that covers much of the country, random interviews conducted revealed a general sentiment of anger and resentment towards the Leistungis. When asked why, the most common response was pamphlets had told them about oppression of the Mwavi people in Östland. The central government in Stoklomolvi labelled the message conveyed in the pamphlets as a "dogma of hate," and urged the government of Novaya Zemlya to increase its anti-jingoism efforts. While much affirmation was granted, a lockdown of the local congress due to an impasse between anti-military and jingoist party lines destroyed all legislative movement.

No change in the stance of the government was stated, as the official position of Novaya Zemlya towards Leistungi ethnic oppression was still one of "peace and cooperation." More information will be revealed as the situation develops.

Copyright 2015 Stoklomolvi Central News Agency. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
URL: http://www.scna.gov.scf/articles/27483109/
© 2015 Stoklomolvi Central News Agency

Novaya Zemlya - Order of Battle

People's Liberation Army Novaya Zemlya Garrison - 290,000
- 9142nd Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9143rd Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9144th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9148th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9437th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9446th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9447th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9448th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9449th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9450th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9451st Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9473rd Infantry Division - 10,000
- 9485th Infantry Division - 10,000
- 1821st Artillery Division - 10,000
- 1831st Artillery Division - 10,000
- 1832nd Artillery Division - 10,000
- 1854th Artillery Division - 10,000
- 2734th Armour Division - 20,000
- 2735th Armour Division - 20,000
- 2736th Armour Division - 20,000
- 2737th Armour Division - 20,000
- 2849th Armour Division - 20,000
- 2873rd Armour Division - 20,000

- 12,240 Type 5 MBT
- 1,220 BTR-90 IFA
- 1,950 Ural-4320 trucks
- 590 Type 16 self-propelled mortar
- 530 2S19 Msta self-propelled artillery
- 1,470 BM-30 MLRS
- 1,810 9K22 Tunguska SPAAG

People's Liberation Army Air Force Novaya Zemlya Detachment - 30,000
- 4810th Interceptor Squadron - 10,000
- 4811th Interceptor Squadron - 10,000
- 4812th Interceptor Squadron - 10,000

- 135 Sukhoi Su-37

Novaya Zemlya Colonial Army - 1,420,000
- 5th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 6th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 7th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 8th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 9th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 10th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 11th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 12th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 13th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 14th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 15th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 16th Novaya Zemlya Corps - 50,000
- 2nd Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 3rd Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 5th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 6th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 7th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 8th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 9th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 10th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 11th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 17th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 18th Novaya Zemlya Artillery Corps - 50,000
- 3rd Novaya Zemlya Armour Corps - 50,000
- 5th Novaya Zemlya Armour Corps - 50,000
- 6th Novaya Zemlya Armour Corps - 50,000
- 7th Novaya Zemlya Armour Corps - 50,000
- 8th Novaya Zemlya Armour Corps - 50,000
- Novaya Zemlya Headquarters Division - 20,000

- 29,740 Type 88 MBT
- 980 BTR-90 IFA
- 4,550 BTR-80 APC
- 6,190 2S19 Msta self-propelled artillery
- 640 BM-30 Smerch MLRS
- 1,440 Type 16 self-propelled mortars
- 18,020 Ural-4320 trucks
- 5,240 9K22 Tunguska SPAAG

Kagetora
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagetora » Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:39 pm

影虎の大幕府

To: Commissar Vladimir Mikhailovich Stuyonovich, Commissar Sergei Mikhailovich Stuyonovich
Subject: Re: Article Seventeen
Encryption: 3072-bit

It is very surprising to me that you would come to my nation for defensive aid in a conflict such as this. It would appear to me that your military could easily overpower both the Leistungi and Oseatons. However, as I neither believe we could overcome Stoklomolvi, or wish to attempt such a war, I shall dispatch Kagetorian assets from Ryukyu and Tanshuu immediately.

If you want help with something, simply send me a telegram. I'll do my best to respond intelligently, and if I can't I'll refer you to someone who can.
Caladan Imperium||Montgomery Broadcasting [EII]

Oseato
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oseato » Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:57 am

Your source for Oseaton and Tarquinian news.

Ministry of Defense announces exercises in Lisosia

Suidpoort - A Ministry of Defense spokesman in the Transkooraveldi capital of Suidpoort announced that the Oseaton Fourth Fleet has begun sortieing from it's berths in Noordgrenstad in order to take part in Lisosian wide exercise of Oseaton military forces. Generaal Metje, commander of all Oseaton forces in Lisosia, was not at the press conference and is said to be out in the field preparing for the coming field maneuvers. The exercise is suppose to test the readiness of Oseaton forces to react to any possible hostile moves on short notice. Many have postulated that this move is in response to the sluggish response of the armed forces to the Leistungi colonization of key atolls in western Lisosia.

"The exercise is a regularly scheduled readiness test designed to merely to keep our military forces at peak conditions" said the Defense spokesman when asked for the official reasoning for the deployment. Some military analysts have questioned the timing and wisdom of the excercise, mere days following the announcement of the formal re-opening of relations between the Federasie and the Federal Republic of Leistungi. Many believe that this move will only strain the rebuilding of the relationship between the two former combatants. While many questions remain, what is certain is that the military will be active in the Lisosian theatre for the coming days.

Carrier leaving the port of Noordgrenstad in Lisosia.

Languages: [Afrikaans] | [English] | [German]
République morivaine
La Resistance

"If world opinion is too feeble or egoistical to do justice to a martyred people, and if our voices also are too weak, I hope that Hungary’s resistance will endure until the counter-revolutionary State collapses everywhere in the East under the weight of its lies and contradictions."

Stoklomolvi
Minister

New York Times Democracy

Postby Stoklomolvi » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:19 am

Fort N'Djamena
2358 hours, Novaya Zemlya Time

Clear, 273.15 Kelvin

1 February 2015
"The Hammer Falls"

General Qi Linqin [祁林檎], commander of the Novaya Zemlya Colonial Army, adjusted his combination cap as he stared across the black field. There was nothing in front of him; nothing but sand and frigid air for as far as he could see. Behind him, the tanks rumbled as the men finalised their preparations. Trucks and self-propelled artillery quietly stood by in the dark. In the rear, infantry milled about as the invasion took place. He looked forward again. After pulling out his field glasses, he could see the faint outline of a celebrating village, fireworks exploding above the town. His first target was set.

Checking his map of eastern Östland compiled by Stoklomolvi intelligence agents three days prior, Qi realised three facts. One, the village was not a Mwavi but a white-dominated town; two, the mayor of the town was a known hater of Mwavi people; three, he had been arrested in Novaya Zemlya once for "disturbing the peace." While Qi was not Mwavi himself, and was in fact an ethnic Stelimov from the south-east in the mainland, he knew that if he were Mwavi he would have been compelled to do one thing. Qi checked his watch. 0000 hours.

"Forward, comrades!"

With that, the cries of over a million soldiers resonated through the air. Tanks filed out neatly in huge rows, and trucks weaved in and out of the rear. Artillery fired off their shells once, and charged forward behind the tanks and trucks. Infantrymen ran after the front-line motorised, and General Qi sighed. As every soldier in the colonial military was of the Mwavi ethnicity, he knew that the village would end up torched. He did not truly have a choice, seeing as to how he was chosen by the Mwavi government in Novaya Zemlya as commander of the colonial military not as much for his strategical knowledge but for his willingness to follow orders. The government stated simply, "No quarter."

In the village, the celebration of the recent economic prosperity brought to the town by the completion of the tourist hotel was abruptly halted when an artillery shell ripped apart the top floors of the hotel. The entire city was illuminated by artillery explosions flattening houses and indiscriminately killing civilians. Screams of almost two thousand innocent civilians could be heard from the insides of tanks a few hundred metres away, with the mayor himself obliterated by the first artillery shell to hit the village. The Mwavis there knew that the invasion was coming, and fled the village two hours prior to the invasion. Soon after the initial barrage, the village was enveloped by the ranks of Mwavi soldiers. Fleeing white Leistungi citizens were cut down by irate Mwavi troops, who simply despised the Leistungis for supposedly oppressed their comrades.

Tanks fired their shells into the wooden buildings of the village, igniting scores of houses at a time. Mwavi infantry who disembarked their trucks lobbed torches and molotov cocktails at buildings and people. Flaming Leistungis were ran over by tanks and artillery disembowelled the mayor's house. One particular Leistungi held up a sign, crudely painted onto a slab of concrete with blood, that stated, "Stop the indiscriminate killing!" in German. He was shot by a Mwavi soldier in the head, which was found sitting in a ditch. Another Leistungi stood in front of a column of Type 5 tanks, attempting to stop them from advancing. He was ignored and crushed beneath the treads, his mangled corpse discovered hanging from a tree. Yet another stood atop the statue that was located in the village centre. He was not shot, but crushed by that very statue when a tank fired a shell into the base, his body found decapitated in the village well. Innocent civilians, male and female, were brutally executed by machete-wielding Mwavis alongside the road leading into the village. Every civilian who attempted to escape was shot. The tourist hotel that took so many months to complete rested on the earth in pieces. Chaos reigned in the village until morning, after the last of the infantrymen left the city. Not a single one of the one thousand, nine hundred fifty three white residents of the village survived.

General Qi, in the comfort of his forward command post established in the village a few hours later, received the reports that the People's Liberation Army Novaya Zemlya Garrison Intelligence Division gave him. He could say nothing.

Leistung
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Leistung » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:32 pm

Kaiserslautern, Leistung
Pier 05

“Hey Claus!” The voice was coarse, but Soldat Guisan had already seen the distinctive bent nose of Soldat Amsel, and he gave him a wave at the sound of his name. Amsel returned the greeting with a lewd gesture.

“As I was about to say, Claus,” Amsel begun, closing the distance between the two men with a few long strides. A few soldiers muttered words of discontent as they were shoved aside, but they quickly moved on, occupied with the mundane excitement of boarding the troop transport. “You owe me five marks from the last time we were in Lisosia. Don’t think I’ve forgotten.”

“Oh of course not – though you know the entire company still has to collect from that Oseaton platoon,” Guisan quipped, his eyes moving back to his half-open pack. He loaded another chocolate bar into the only inch of free space he had before zipping it back up. “And as I recall, a burly white fellow owes me his first born child.”

“And as I recall,” Amsel replied dryly. “That ‘burly white fellow’ thought you were his wife.”

“Oseaton women must have beards, then.”

“And this surprises you?” Amsel asked, smirking.

Guisan returned the grin and slung his pack over his shoulder. “Let’s go, then, Erich. To think they might leave without us – we ought to be more like our Oseaton brothers and revel at the chance to kill a few blecks, eh?”

Kassel, Östland
Leistungi Expeditionary Force Headquarters

Korpskommandant Keller swatted a fly off his cheek. Though his hand moved swiftly, his eyes never left the field maps arrayed before him, the locations of advancing Stoklomolvi divisions in red and the rather feeble blue lines representing Leistungi lines of defense. There were quite a few more red lines than blue.

“The 45th Panzerdivision has reported a breakthrough in sector seven, Korpskommandant.” The voice was that of his aide, but the identity of the speaker barely had time to process in his before he issued his order. He moved a blue token back a few inches and drew a new line.

“Instruct the 45th to attempt a breakout from the south. The 9th Panzerdivision will advance from the north to meet them, and the two divisions will then resume holding actions fifteen kilometers back. Remaining divisions will retreat 15 kilometers to match their movement.” The aide nodded and dictated the commands to the men below them in the field through his radio.

Keller gave a deep sigh as he placed Stoklomolvi flags closer to Kassel. Reinforcements leaving Kaiserslautern and Hafenstadt in Haven would take a month at the earliest to arrive – until then, the few number of men the Bundesheer had under its command and the Östlander militia would have to hold back a tide of men which seemed to stretch from the border all the way back to Stoklomolvi.

TO: Office of Consul Colton of the Oseaton Federation
FROM: Office of the Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Leistung

Dear Madam,

Early this morning it was reported to my office by the Chief Minister of Östland that nearly a million Stoklomolvi soldiers had, without warning and without prior provocation, crossed the border into that state. A border village was immediately destroyed, with no known survivors.

As such, it would appear that the Stoklomolvi goal in this conflict is not the acquisition of resources, as one might at first suspect, but rather the extermination of our race and our way of life from Lisosia. The communist menace has long lain dormant, but with this one fell swoop has reemerged as a threat which must be dealt with.

Though our two nation’s have never seen eye-to-eye, there have been times in the past when we have taken up arms together against a greater evil. This invasion is that evil. On behalf of the innocent people of Östland I implore you for aid. Our forces in the country cannot hold out indefinitely, and with each passing day their situation becomes more dire.

Our hopes and prayers are with you.

Sincerely,
Ludwig Ritter
Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Leistung
République vertoise
Republic of Vertou

Oseato
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Oseato » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:44 pm

City Center, West North Shields
Transkooraveld Free State, Lisosia

The sight was certainly a strange one for the citizens of the divided city of North Shields. Usually traffic from the Oseaton zone of occupation to the Leistungi zone was highly restricted by the a myriad of checkpoints and border guards. Mere weeks before, Oseaton tanks had squared off with their Leistungi counterparts in a battle of nerves before both sides backed down and went about harassing each other at another point along the long and well documented border. As many onlookers openly gawked, armored vehicles of the Oseaton Tenth Tenkdivisie rushed past the mutual border check points, even being actively waved through by the Östlander border police, who would have shot at them only a mere 24 hours ago.

Similar scenes of disbelief were witnessed all along the border as the full might of the Oseaton war machine in Transkooraveld began it's journey into Östland to stave off the red tide. Lariats 1A1L's and IFV's were loaded upon flatbed train cars and sent on their way to the front, troops piled into passenger trains and trucks headed east. Their trip was viewed with mixed emotions, Oseatons in North Shields, as well as a few Leistungis and Östlanders waved to the trains and trucks as they began their journey, but many citizens of former Tynemouth, and numerous Östlanders greeted the trains with nothing but scorn. Clearly not everyone on either side was happy with the arrangement, but holding back the communist thread took precedence over the mutual distrust between the the two nations.

Kolonel Constan Kruger, commander of 3rd Brigade 28th Tenkdivisie, was also in the divided city that day as his tanks traveled through the city by train. As they headed toward the front, Kruger was doing everything possible to read up upon the operating tactics not only of the People's Liberation Army, but also studying the brief Leistungi campaign in Tynemouth in order to gain a better understanding of "friend" and foe. Many soldiers in the Leër held nothing but respect for their Leistungi counterparts, although it was generally hidden by an outwardly hostile attitude shown by many more. As the train moved through the city, Kruger hoped he'd have the opportunity to meet some of the Leistungi officers when they made it to the front. It would certainly help to meet the men they would be fighting alongside for a second time.
Last edited by Oseato on Thu Sep 09, 2010 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
République morivaine
La Resistance

Kagetora
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagetora » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:07 pm

A million soldiers. Over a million soldiers had started the war in Africa in the Stoklomolvi invasion of Leistung, and the Kagetorian military was expected to help the cause. If not for the outrage that had happened over half a century before, the Shogunate wouldn't have to do anything in this conflict other than ensure the security of Tangoku, the colony that supplied about half of Kagetora's food.

A few days earlier, only a few hours after the initial telegram from the communist devils, several fleets of the Kagetorian Naval Armed Forces from Ryukyu and Tangoku had been ordered to rendezvous south of Willmanian waters before setting on a northerly course. All told, the fleet included over 100 warships and nearly 200 auxiliaries. 6 aircraft carriers and an equal number of battleships formed the backbone of the force, with dozens of destroyers, subs, and cruisers forming the body.

The invasion and subsequent response of the Oseatons and Leistungi had made Kagetorian news, and if Kagetora was going to take part in this war, then the elimination of enemy fallback points would be a high priority.

Occurring right on the heels of the release of the ships of war was the deployment of extra maritime patrols, concentrating along the narrow strait of international waters that sat between the territories of Roten, and to the north along the naval border Tangoku shared with Willman. Wolfpacks and Sub-hunters were scheduled to begin escorting cargo ships laden with food for the homeland in a week's time. Winning the war meant nothing if the population was starved to death.

But even that wasn't all. 800,000 men, along with their tanks, APCs, helicopters, artillery, and all manner of equipment were being called up and deployed from the Kagetorian homeland and its colonies to Tangoku and even Novaya Zemlya. It would be the first time in centuries Kagetorians had peacefully stepped upon the shores of Stoklomolvi territory.
If you want help with something, simply send me a telegram. I'll do my best to respond intelligently, and if I can't I'll refer you to someone who can.
Caladan Imperium||Montgomery Broadcasting [EII]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents