NATION

PASSWORD

OOC: Casualties And How To Take Them

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ozymos
Minister

Founded: Oct 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:05 pm

Esternial wrote:Okay, follow me on this:
My nation focuses on military and police. (Which explain for the lack of civil rights)

My Defence budget: $120,767,102,329.50
budget/20 million = $6038.35

SO. How would I go on calculating my available forces?

Well, my expertise is not in that area, so someone else is likely to give you a better answer.
"Through adversity, to the stars!"
The Intersystems Alliance
Liu Xiu | Excalibur Squadron

Yafor 2
Envoy

Founded: Dec 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Yafor 2 » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:08 pm

This topic is already covered in "The Art of Losing", in parts of "The Ultimate Guide to War" and in particular, in this great thread by Krieg. Logistics are covered in Macabee's "Logistics: War and Peace", and strategy is found in "The Art of NS War" as a whole, as well as certain sections of this thread (specialized strategies such as defeating a numerically superior enemy, sea landings, etc). Nothing new in this guide and, to be honest, while it's a worthy effort, it's pretty wordy (no need for a three-paragraph wikipedia quote, for example, and that Lynion thing seems totally disconnected and unrelated). The other guides already address this subject well (expecially Krieg's).

Euro: the links in your thread at the top don't work; you need to fix them to "forums.joltonline.com", not "forums2.jolt.co.uk".
Last edited by Yafor 2 on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Ozymos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:13 pm

Yafor 2 wrote:This topic is already covered in "The Art of Losing", in parts of "The Ultimate Guide to War" and in particular, in this great thread by Krieg. Logistics are covered in Macabee's "Logistics: War and Peace", and strategy is found in "The Art of NS War" as a whole, as well as certain sections of this thread (specialized strategies such as defeating a numerically superior enemy, sea landings, etc). Nothing new in this guide and, to be honest, while it's a worthy effort, it's pretty wordy (no need for a three-paragraph wikipedia quote, for example, and that RP does not need to be quoted in its entirety, as another). The other guides already address this subject well (expecially Krieg's).

Euro: the links in your thread at the top don't work; you need to fix them to "forums.joltonline.com", not "forums2.jolt.co.uk".

I am well aware of these facts - I did point out that in the post. However, since the amount of new players who actually look at the current stickies is very low (at best) I didn't really think they'd be bothering to go to Jolt to read the old stickies there.

If Euro wants to take this down, that's his choice.

DaWoad
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 05, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby DaWoad » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:20 pm

My nation focuses on military and police. (Which explain for the lack of civil rights)

you have a millitary budget 6 000 times the size of your population?
Official Nation States Trainer
Factbook:http://nationstates.wikia.com/wiki/User:Dawoad
Alliances:The Hegemony, The GDF, SCUTUM

Supporter of making [citation needed] the official NSG way to say "source?"

Bavin
Negotiator

Founded: May 11, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Bavin » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:21 pm

Its an unwritten rule that peacetime military forces are around .5% to 1.5% of your population. You could go higher, but the higher you go, the worse they- and your economy- get.
The Earth is a very small stage in a vast cosmic arena. Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that, in glory and triumph, they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot. Think of the endless cruelties visited by the inhabitants of one corner of this pixel on the scarcely distinguishable inhabitants of some other corner, how frequent their misunderstandings, how eager they are to kill one another, how fervent their hatreds.- Carl Sagan

Questers
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:21 pm

http://forums.joltonline.com/showthread.php?t=428384 This is clearly better, it already exists, but isn't pinned. Shame on you Euro!
Restore the Crown

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 pm

Bavin wrote:

Its an unwritten rule that peacetime military forces are around .5% to 1.5% of your population. You could go higher, but the higher you go, the worse they- and your economy- get.
I've not heard of this unwritten rule. That's because it doesn't exist. The whole point of irregulars is that they don't detract anywhere near as much as regulars from your economy.
Restore the Crown

Ozymos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:40 pm

Questers wrote:http://forums.joltonline.com/showthread.php?t=428384 This is clearly better, it already exists, but isn't pinned. Shame on you Euro!

Fine, i'll ask Euro to get rid of it. Someone will need to repost that here though, because the new players aren't going to go to another site to view the old stickies.

Esternial
Retired Moderator

Founded: May 09, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Esternial » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 pm

budget/14250000 (5%) = $8474.8

why 5%? -> If I take the laws I recently passed in account, I'd get 5%
Teenage dads are enlisted in the army, seeing as we have alot of those lately...
+ All weapons are property of the army (weapons are banned in Esternial)

@ DaWoad
285million population
120,767,102,329.50 budget
Last edited by Esternial on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Euroslavia
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Euroslavia » Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:44 pm

Questers wrote:http://forums.joltonline.com/showthread.php?t=428384 This is clearly better, it already exists, but isn't pinned. Shame on you Euro!

Then by all means, re-post it on here. I already have enough on my plate right now. You know, a little help from the regular forumers would be amazing rather than depending on me to re-post everything and organize it.

All I see are complaints about how certain threads weren't brought over from Jolt. Mainly from people I wouldn't expect it from. It's pretty disappointing that plenty of people would rather complain than lift a finger to actually do something about it.
Last edited by Euroslavia on Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

BRAVE ENOUGH

Solm
Senator

Founded: Jul 23, 2008
Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:01 pm

Euroslavia wrote:

Then by all means, re-post it on here. I already have enough on my plate right now. You know, a little help from the regular forumers would be amazing rather than depending on me to re-post everything and organize it.

All I see are complaints about how certain threads weren't brought over from Jolt. Mainly from people I wouldn't expect it from. It's pretty disappointing that plenty of people would rather complain than lift a finger to actually do something about it.

I can re-post it here if everyone wants, but I don't see that big of a need for it.

Retired: ns .hellodot. solm @ gmail .dot. com

Ozymos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Solm wrote:I can re-post it here if everyone wants, but I don't see that big of a need for it.

I'd appreciate that Solm. I've obviously ruffled the veteran's feathers with this.

Solm
Senator

Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:13 pm

Ozymos wrote:
Solm wrote:I can re-post it here if everyone wants, but I don't see that big of a need for it.

I'd appreciate that Solm. I've obviously ruffled the veteran's feathers with this.

Sure Thing, shall it just be in this thread or in a whole new thread?

Ozymos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:14 pm

Solm wrote:
Ozymos wrote:

New thread, I think.

Solm
Senator

Corporate Bordello

Postby Solm » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:31 pm

Ozymos wrote:
Solm wrote:
Ozymos wrote:

New thread, I think.

Reposted Here, still fixing some things up, but it's reposted there.

Ozymos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:33 pm

Solm wrote:Reposted Here, still fixing some things up, but it's reposted there.

Top notch mate, thanks.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:32 pm

Euroslavia wrote:

Calm down, I wasn't actually casting shame on you.

Oh, and, what an honour it is to be a pompous elitist
Last edited by Questers on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Franberry
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 09, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Franberry » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:41 pm

Questers wrote:Oh, and, what an honour it is to be a pompous elitist

It's terribly good fun!
Death is better, a milder fate than tyranny.
-Aeschylus

Izistan
Envoy

Founded: Nov 29, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Izistan » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:43 pm

~resist the NSMafia~
306 all tha way yo, reppen fer mi home boyz thro it up

Ozymos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:45 pm

Questers wrote:Calm down, I wasn't actually casting shame on you.

Oh, and, what an honour it is to be a pompous elitist

Questers, you've got Krieg's thread here. Let this one die.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 pm

Now now, don't be bitter about it.
Last edited by Questers on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Ozymos
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ozymos » Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:49 pm

Questers wrote:Now now, don't be bitter about it.

I thought you'd read my sig? As far as i'm concerned, my mission is accomplished - II has a sticky on casualties.
Last edited by Ozymos on Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jubu Jubu Jabu
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Aug 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Jubu Jubu Jabu » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:06 pm

Malcastrineze wrote:One thing I'd like to say when it comes to FT warships: Bigger is not always better. In fact, it's entirely possible that the smaller ship might actually be much more advanced than the larger one, due to the fact that as technology advances, it gets smaller. So you could have somebody's 9,001 kilometer super-dreadnought-of-doom getting its ass kicked by somebody's little fifty meter cruiser because it's so much more advanced. It's less about the size of the ship, or even the power relative to population (if you go by that rule) then it is about the technology you put on it.

Other than that, great job! I think it's especially true in FT that people try to avoid taking casualties with one piece of technology or another. Point is, it's not a war if stuff doesn't get blown up and people don't die.

In FT ship combat, I like to take a page or two out of the MMO Eve. Sure, you have an awesome battleship with big ass laser cannons and anti-ship cruise missiles, but your large guns have an extremely hard time tracking my little frigate orbiting around you at top speed. Meaning, unless you have fighters or tech to slow me down, 95% of your shots are missing and my less powerful, smaller guns are, yes, doing far less damage per hit, but are continually widdling away at your shields/hull/infrastructure...

One thing I like when entering ship to ship combat is when both sides declare what size and class their ship is along with armament, anything not previously mentioned, shenanigans can be called on, as sensors usually pick up on those kinds of things.

But it all depends on the situation and the RP, as long as it's fair, both winning and losing are usually good experiences.
Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:
NationStates 2: DEFCON 'WE'RE SCREWED'! Sequel to the amazingly popular NationStates. Prepare to fire your 'I.G.N.O.R.E.' cannons as this docu-drama explores the ins and outs of Roleplaying warfare. It's Lefties vs. Righties as the gloves have finally come off, exposing your little nerd fingers to the brutality of a keyboard, and wasting your puny brain away on topics like, How do you make being hit in the balls hurt less?!

Solar Communes
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solar Communes » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:14 pm

Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:top speed.

There is no top speed in a gravity and friction-less environment unless you arbitrarily impose one in your spacecrafts*

*With the exception of the speed of light, or the speed where the kinetic energy of hitting cosmic dust is greater than what your spacecraft can endure.
Last edited by Solar Communes on Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ж
Space Anarchist Miscegenated Black&White Viking Vampire Shapeshifting Pirates in Space.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, North Point, Varejao, Ulanpataar, Sharfghotten, Franberry, Tyrandis, Rosbaningrad, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania: All unjustly deleted. 09/27 Nevar Forget.
Abandon Humanity, one step at a time | Suffer not the Yiffster. Join ANTIFA: The Anti-furry Alliance
Solar Communes Wiki | World of Dustpeople(Species Factbook) | Documentary on Solarian Diplomacy with Aliens
Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:18 pm

Solar Communes wrote:
Jubu Jubu Jabu wrote:top speed.

There is no top speed in a gravity and friction-less environment unless you arbitrarily impose one in your spacecrafts*

*With the exception of the speed of light, or the speed where the kinetic energy of hitting cosmic dust is greater than what your spacecraft can endure.

This, there are only rates of acceleration in space.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents