NATION

PASSWORD

Tiandi Big Discussion Thread

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 21, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Thu May 05, 2016 2:04 am

Creating a basic overview of canon for new players.

Homo sapiens originated in Tiandi roughly 200,000 years ago, on the continent of Miju (African continent). From there, they expanded to colonize all the major landmasses of Tiandi, and had managed to displace and then replace all other human species.

Following the end of the last glacial period c. 12,000 years ago, cereal grasses began to flourish and many humans began to gradually settle down as they began to farm. Some areas domesticated animals and became pastoral societies, although many people remained as hunting-gathering societies. In some areas where food was relatively abundant and easy to obtain, hunting-gathering peoples settled down and established sedentary societies, although retaining their mode of economic production. Sedentary societies and agriculture allowed for the accumulation of wealth, the specialization of labor, and for stratified societies. Large domesticated mammals allowed for a secondary products revolution, but also for the crossover and spread of deadly diseases such as smallpox, measles, and influenza originally not present among humans.

Agriculture developed independently in several areas of the world, such as Cheongju (South American continent), southwestern Uju (North American continent), Jungju (East & Southeast Asian continent), Yoju (Middle Eastern, North/South/Central Asian continent), and some others. Human migration and trade resulted in the diffusion of crops, animals, diseases, technology, and culture, though some areas of the world remained geographically isolated from the rest of it.

Beginning in the 1400s, various countries in Sinju (the East Asian portion of Jungju) began to explore the world and take over various areas in order to secure trade routes and wealth, in competition with other Sinju nations. These states included Jeongmi (Korean), Meisaan (Cantonese/HK/Guangdong), Akitsukuni (Japanese), Nomyokuni (fictional culture, Chinese & Japanese blend), and others (Hokkien, Hakka, Fuzhouese, Shanghainese, Jeju, North Chinese, etc.).

In the 1700s, the industrial revolution began in Jeongmi, and Sinju powers or settler colonies virtually all of Tiandi by the 20th century. These nations significantly altered the political, economic, linguistic, and cultural aspects of these nations. The resources of these nations were siphoned off to Sinju, and goods from Sinju flooded markets in the colonies, resulting in a huge gap in the wealth between the imperial powers and their subjects, and a huge technological and economic boom that has been largely sustained to the present.

The 1930s and 40s saw a massive world war called the Eulhae War, in which nations such as Jeongmi and Meisaan prevailed over Akitsukuni. The heavy destruction wrought upon Sinju resulted in stronger calls for independence among colonies and a large inability to retain them, resulting in the independence of virtually all colonies in the following decades. Although independent, Sinju nations retained a significant amount of control and influence over them through global institutions such as the World Bank, through military interventions, Central (E. Asian & E. Asian cultured) dominated global media, and business ties.

Th largest of these empires was that of Jeongmi's - the global presence of both its empire and its settler colonies meant that Korean has become the lingua franca of the modern world.

In the following decades, non-Sinju nations have been quickly catching up in terms of wealth and power, and Central political, military, and economic dominance have eased somewhat. The current geopolitical situation pits wealthy liberal democracies, led largely by the Sinju Union, against authoritarian capitalist nations somewhat, though ties are heavy and they grow increasingly interconnected through trade, media, and immigration.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Thu May 05, 2016 5:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
LITERALLY UNLIKE ANY OTHER RP REGION & DON'T REPORT THIS SIG
█████████████████▌TIANDI ____________██____██
_______███▌MAP _______________██_____██_████████
█████████████████▌WIKI _______██______██___██____██
_______████ DISCORD ________██████___██____██______█

____████__████ SIGNUP _________██___████___██____
__████_______████_____________██______██__________██
████____________████_______█████████___███████████

Daeseong
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Daeseong » Thu May 05, 2016 11:41 am

First three paragraphs seem superfluous, imo. If they want to learn more about early/classical history, they can join the region and ask/read our iiwikis.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Thu May 05, 2016 7:21 pm

Should we have a separate thread where we display and discuss canon?

For example, we'd have sections describing the main religions of Tiandi, geopolitics, what certain acronyms stand for, explanations of continents' general cultures, etc.

Daeseong
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Daeseong » Thu May 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Arumdaum wrote:Should we have a separate thread where we display and discuss canon?

For example, we'd have sections describing the main religions of Tiandi, geopolitics, what certain acronyms stand for, explanations of continents' general cultures, etc.

If we do something like this, we should use the Tiandi account so we can all contribute.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Fri May 06, 2016 12:42 am

>875 TGs sent so far...

0 apps presented from these nations... :'(

Perhaps new players are more willing open TGs?
Last edited by Arumdaum on Fri May 06, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Toishima
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Toishima » Fri May 06, 2016 4:48 am

No, we don't need a second "canon thread" because that's what the IRC and this thread are for. It's also what the Tiandi IIwiki page could be used for as well, in terms of "displaying".

I've booked out (gotten home) for the week. Will try my hand at making a canon intro thingy for the OP, for your considerations.
Last edited by Toishima on Fri May 06, 2016 4:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Aki. My primary RP nation is Yamatai in Ordis. We are an MT region with an exciting constructed world. Join us. (Non Ordis version of Yamatai here)
GOKIGENYOU~
Singaporean Chinese Weeb who likes food, Japan, food, J-Pop, military stuff and Japanese food.
Ex military. Female. Otaku. Idol Wota. Physically incapable of writing posts shorter than 1,000 words.
This user supports the use of mechs, mecha and other legged machines in PMT and FT settings, and will use them.
Record word count for a single unbroken writing session: 27,154 words
Current flag is my Kami Oshi, Sato Masaki (Info here!).

Rantaune
Lobbyist

Founded: Apr 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Rantaune » Sat May 07, 2016 12:11 pm

We do not need a 'canon discussion thread'

But it would help say, doing small blurbs on major Sinju powers, major non-sinju powers, recent + colonial history on the OP of the application thread. This was voiced by Aki and Dae a page before but I think this is a good idea.
The Republic of Rantaune ― Jumhuriya Rantaune
Sentiasa membuat kebajikan dengan petunjuk Maha Esa

Victoriala
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Sat May 07, 2016 10:58 pm

Has anyone had a map of the colonial powers at its height
THE COMMONWEALTH OF VICTORIALA
Fuck discourse, Memes are the way forward (its inevitable and you know it)
FACTBOOK | LA SOCIÉTÉ | NATIONS | ILLUMINATOR | +
Fucking little island person. 陰 and 陽 but mostly 陰. I draw and do designs.
My NS activity is 90% shitposts. Singy and I fuck each other occasionally.
Equity is True Equality. Pro-Aufklärung, Anti-Gegenaufklärung. [economic: -4.0 social: -4.21]

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun May 08, 2016 3:38 am

Victoriala wrote:Has anyone had a map of the colonial powers at its height

We don't have such a map, and I don't think making such a map would be good; people would just argue over where and how much they want to colonize, and we'd have to adjust it every time someone new joins.

Jeongmi's should be the largest by far, though.

Victoriala
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Sun May 08, 2016 3:49 am

Arumdaum wrote:
Victoriala wrote:Has anyone had a map of the colonial powers at its height

We don't have such a map, and I don't think making such a map would be good; people would just argue over where and how much they want to colonize, and we'd have to adjust it every time someone new joins.

b r u h
Equity is True Equality. Pro-Aufklärung, Anti-Gegenaufklärung. [economic: -4.0 social: -4.21]

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun May 08, 2016 3:58 am

Victoriala wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:We don't have such a map, and I don't think making such a map would be good; people would just argue over where and how much they want to colonize, and we'd have to adjust it every time someone new joins.

b r u h

B)

대정미민국 만세

also for the TGs... I'm just hoping for 1 out of every 10,000 TGs now to be successful

I recommend us posting more here though; it gives us more publicity and allows more people to find out about our region.
Last edited by Arumdaum on Sun May 08, 2016 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun May 08, 2016 8:33 am

I think we should refer to the nations of Sinju and its settler colonies as "Central nations" with "Central culture," in the same way that European nations and its settler colonies such as the US and Australia are referred to as "Western nations" that have "Western culture."

Nations that are not Central can be referred to as Outer, perhaps.

I actually intentionally placed Sinju in the upper central portion of the map, and shaped the rest of the map so that Sinju's central location can be emphasized geographically (e.g. Sinju is right smack in the middle of Yoju and Uju). You can notice that the map is somewhat symmetrical. I also intentionally placed Jeongmi so that the exact center of the upper half of the map would be there. :p

Sinju is seen as the center of not only civilization but the world, and its location near the top of the map shows that it is not only metaphorically but literally above the rest of the world (though obviously it is not at the uppermost extremity of the map).

Sinjucentrism.

Cresadine
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 26, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Sun May 08, 2016 8:46 am

Arumdaum wrote:I think we should refer to the nations of Sinju and its settler colonies as "Central nations" with "Central culture," in the same way that European nations and its settler colonies such as the US and Australia are referred to as "Western nations" that have "Western culture."

I actually intentionally placed Sinju in the upper central portion of the map, and shaped the rest of the map so that Sinju's central location can be emphasized geographically (e.g. Sinju is right smack in the middle of Yoju and Uju). You can notice that the map is somewhat symmetrical. I also intentionally placed Jeongmi so that the exact center of the upper half of the map would be there. :p

Sinju is seen as the center of not only civilization but the world, and its location near the top of the map shows that it is not only metaphorically but literally above the rest of the world (though obviously it is not at the uppermost extremity of the map).

Sinjucentrism.

I agree with this. "Outer nations" seems like a good term to refer to the rest of the world.

If we do create a map showing colonial powers, remember to indicate that Qo'yyen had a colony then lost it to Jeongmi, perhaps by slashing it with the colours of Qo'yyen and Jeongmi.
He forbead þa heortas swylce eac þa baras, swa swiðe he lufode þa headeor swilce he wære heora fæder

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun May 08, 2016 8:57 am

Also, everyone should probably already know this, but not everything on the news thread will always be considered canon for various reasons (e.g. Zhouran).

Cresadine
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Sun May 08, 2016 9:07 am

Arumdaum wrote:Also, everyone should probably already know this, but not everything on the news thread will always be considered canon for various reasons (e.g. Zhouran).

Zhouran?
He forbead þa heortas swylce eac þa baras, swa swiðe he lufode þa headeor swilce he wære heora fæder

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun May 08, 2016 9:08 am

Cresadine wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:Also, everyone should probably already know this, but not everything on the news thread will always be considered canon for various reasons (e.g. Zhouran).

Zhouran?

One of our older regionmates, haha. He's not part of the region anymore, but his posts remain in the news thread. Canon has also changed from when we made earlier posts.

Cresadine
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Cresadine » Sun May 08, 2016 9:09 am

Arumdaum wrote:
Cresadine wrote:Zhouran?

One of our older regionmates, haha. He's not part of the region anymore, but his posts remain in the news thread. Canon has also changed from when we made earlier posts.

Ahh ok.

Daeseong
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Daeseong » Sun May 08, 2016 12:29 pm

Arumdaum wrote:I think we should refer to the nations of Sinju and its settler colonies as "Central nations" with "Central culture," in the same way that European nations and its settler colonies such as the US and Australia are referred to as "Western nations" that have "Western culture."

Sinjucentrism.

I broadly agree. Time to combat vile Centralism, then XD

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun May 08, 2016 11:00 pm

Daeseong wrote:

Sinjucentrism.

o sht

waddup

Tamsien
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Tamsien » Sun May 08, 2016 11:06 pm

Daeseong wrote:

Sinjucentrism.

Note to self, make sure Rantaune does not engage in politically biased conflicts. Or allow Daesong to make use of the tax haven status of Rantaune.

Money speaks, ho ho ho.

Sinjucentrism.

North-South dynamic though...

Sinju vs Jungju rising powers....
The Kingdom of Tamsien―Rajanarapati Tamsien
Hingga ke hujung dunia...
Malaysian living in the Great North―Buddhist―TOTALLY BI―part time weeb―full time Trash™

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun May 08, 2016 11:14 pm

1274 TGs sent so far with 0% success rate.

Are you guys really against sending TGs to new nations? They're much more likely to open them, haha, while refounded nations will generally recognize them as spam.

Tamsien
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Tamsien » Sun May 08, 2016 11:19 pm

Arumdaum wrote:1274 TGs sent so far with 0% success rate.

Are you guys really against sending TGs to new nations? They're much more likely to open them, haha, while refounded nations will generally recognize them as spam.

It's more of compliance, cooperation, and experience if anything. Although you can if you want I guess.
Malaysian living in the Great North―Buddhist―TOTALLY BI―part time weeb―full time Trash™

Arumdaum
Postmaster of the Fleet

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Arumdaum » Sun May 08, 2016 11:24 pm

I don't think Jeongmi will really be at odds with authoritarian capitalist nations so long as they are beholden to the will of capital and do not work against Jeongmian interests.

Despite all our rhetoric, we'd probably have toppled democratic nations we didn't like in the past and replaced them with authoritarian nations who would be relatively more friendly to us, and work together with authoritarian nations.

I think we'd have done things like what the US did in Haiti in the 1990s - overthrow a democratically elected leftist leader with the help of intelligence services, and then later promise to put them back in power with Jeongmian support if they agreed to revise several of their ideas with ones which are more friendly to Jeongmian interests, and then do so in a widely publicized event.

Not only would it achieve our goals of expanding our influence and wealth, but it'd also make us look like upholders and defenders of democracy.

Tiandi has a corrupted heart and core. :^)
Last edited by Arumdaum on Mon May 09, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Victoriala
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Victoriala » Sun May 08, 2016 11:25 pm

Tamsien wrote:
Arumdaum wrote:1274 TGs sent so far with 0% success rate.

It's more of compliance, cooperation, and experience if anything. Although you can if you want I guess.

Shouldn't we be more lax on enforcing stuff here in the region? I think that's the reason why potential colonies membership has been low lately.

Tamsien
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Tamsien » Sun May 08, 2016 11:28 pm

Victoriala wrote:
Tamsien wrote:It's more of compliance, cooperation, and experience if anything. Although you can if you want I guess.

Shouldn't we be more lax on enforcing stuff here in the region? I think that's the reason why potential colonies membership has been low lately.

Yeah.

Test it out maybe?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents