NATION

PASSWORD

If you could give advice to a new player...

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Lolzieristan
Minister

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lolzieristan » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:00 pm

Make a backstory for your nation. Find some other nations and make a map together. As one of the stickies says, magically starting your war at their border is a form of god-moding...but how will you know if you even share a border if you don't even have a map? I've seen plenty of pretty good RPers hurt by the fact that their country seems to be drifting through space...
Honestly, if you want to TG me, I'm willing to do an RP with new people if they're willing to learn and don't mind constructive criticism.
So yeah. When you find a good RPing region, get to know your nation and the nations it coexists with, and develop your writing skills, you'll love this site.
Sometimes I'm reading through military threads here, and I stop and think "What the hell is wrong with all of us?" But then I get on Facebook, and realize I'd rather be insane than an idiot.
04/17/13: Got my wish, it seems, in terms of major depressive disorder. I'm sorry to everyone for any inactivity, it's...well, hard.

Charles Buckingham 2
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Charles Buckingham 2 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:44 pm

Don't use things like "U" instead of You. Many people on this site has grammer pet pieves including myself :D
MY RP NATION IS OCTOVIA
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.26
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--

Hurgovakia wrote:
TheFall wrote:
"TO ARGENTINA, THE MOTHERLAND!" yelled Rick Perry as he fired back at the liberals.
Conflicts
Conspiracy to War viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135820
The Stanian War viewtopic.php?f=5&t=155334
Treaties and other agreements
Treaty of Zephyr viewtopic.php?f=4&t=143418

Kagetora
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Kagetora » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:57 pm

Charles Buckingham 2 wrote:Don't use things like "U" instead of You. Many people on this site has grammer pet pieves including myself :D

The irony of this post... "Many people on this site HAVE GRAMMAR pet PEEVES including ME."
If you want help with something, simply send me a telegram. I'll do my best to respond intelligently, and if I can't I'll refer you to someone who can.
Caladan Imperium||Montgomery Broadcasting [EII]

Charles Buckingham 2
Envoy

Founded: May 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Charles Buckingham 2 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:18 pm

Kagetora wrote:
Charles Buckingham 2 wrote:Don't use things like "U" instead of You. Many people on this site has grammer pet pieves including myself :D

The irony of this post... "Many people on this site HAVE GRAMMAR pet PEEVES including ME."

It's late and I'm tired. :shock:
MY RP NATION IS OCTOVIA
Economic Left/Right: 6.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.26
The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.
--George Patton--

Hurgovakia wrote:
TheFall wrote:
"TO ARGENTINA, THE MOTHERLAND!" yelled Rick Perry as he fired back at the liberals.
Conflicts
Conspiracy to War viewtopic.php?f=5&t=135820
The Stanian War viewtopic.php?f=5&t=155334
Treaties and other agreements
Treaty of Zephyr viewtopic.php?f=4&t=143418

United World Order
Senator

Founded: Jun 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby United World Order » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:34 pm

If i could give advice...

Well i can't give much advice since im not perfect like some of the others. But i'l give this advice.

Be creative! Don't be like my non creative non imaginitive self! Please!

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:43 pm

Never be me a year ago.

And if your nation feels failed, a good idea would be to start over.
Now mostly a politik discuss account.

Arkotania
Minister

Founded: Sep 18, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkotania » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:50 pm

Avoid the mods wrath.

Don't take anything personally,ever.

Criticism is awesome. Insults can be ignored.

Do your research before being part of a RP you aren't really knowledgeable in.(I once spent on hour researching biological weapons,chemical weapons and how nuclear weapons could create EMPs and the certain variables required to make it effective. I wasted no time because i actually learned something.)

Don't feel bad if you don't get in.

Put a comment in any political/religious/morale thread and get the hell out(DON'T LOOK BACK!).

And don't forget to make your signature look awesome in some way.

EDIT:Oh and watch out for your grammar. Grammar Nazis are frightening characters.(I better check my grammar now)

P.S:And remember to act crazy if your not crazy. We're all insane here.
Last edited by Arkotania on Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mostly back from a long hiatus from the forums
Arkania 5 wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Matt Ward

No.

Nononononononononono

Gauthier wrote:
Arkotania wrote:
Then your testicles become strange tentacles.

And then you make films in Japan.

Ovisterra wrote:
Oceanic people wrote:where lives are at steak

I try not to point out people's spelling errors all the time, but this one was brilliant.

Nationstatelandsville wrote:
Arkotania wrote:Or maybe NS is also a degraded society.

This. Definitely this.

Neo Arcad wrote:
Qatarab(Arkotania Puppet) wrote:Where's my torch? Time to burn some courts down.

Oh, you crazy Muslim you!

Demphor
Senator

Founded: Jun 03, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Demphor » Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:26 pm

My advice, use the grammar teachers have taught you, if you want to have bad RPs, use a wiki with your friends or such, that's what I did before going onto the forums.

Also, if you want to RP badly, use a wiki and use Wikispaces, it's free and simple.

And, no one liners, no "we deklar woar on Minatons becuz he corup dicatorship" thing, and definitely don't RP their forces to provoke a war in the first place.

There you go, my advice.
Get money out of politics, join Wolf PAC
iiWikiNational Anthem of Demphor
“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?"
~ John Maynard Keynes

Kriegorgrad
Lobbyist

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kriegorgrad » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:41 am

Write a story about human beings/sentient creatures, not statistics.

Edited in response to Bears Armed's more than fair point. :)
Last edited by Kriegorgrad on Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:01 am

Kriegorgrad wrote:Write a story about human beings, not statistics.

The story could be about Ursine beings, instead...

^_^
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Esalonia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Esalonia » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:35 am

Realism first, as always.

1) So, uhhh...if you have a GDP of 100 billion and say you throw in 1.9 trillion to your defense (like I do) then you're absolutely out of your mind. Not even FanT can save you, where you make gold from hay using a gold-spinning machine. Money doesn't come out of nowhere; if it does...look at what happened to Germany post-WW1, printed a lot of deutschmarks just to pay for a debt as said in an armistice-economy collapsed. Oh-and the population. Some people just want to watch the disproportionation of military size to population burn the great RP experience. While some set their populations at a number and others follow the rise of population as stated in their nation overviews, I always play with a mix of both; when the mainland is invaded, I "freeze" the population growth by using the population I last saw in the overview before making the OP in the thread. But when everything is done-POPULATION EXPLOSION. That's why you should only follow one of two, and mixing them would result into a great RP disaster, according to my experience. I advise following the growth of your population in the overview.

2) You can't fight with a terrible cold. That is, unless the person you're fighting with is weaker than you and is not capable of fighting anymore. Look, I've been wanting to ICly turn a player's territory into a protectorate, but I got a cold but he doesn't. I'm dealing with Nazi and Islamic rebels in my nation, and then I thought of annexing a nation militarily, then I realized "NO. Not even with the Supreme Gods of Godmodding up in Mount Olympus of Godmodding". But I'm advising you: do not try to fight with a terrible cold (ICly and OOCly).

3) Ohhh..yeahh...I admit I did this; signup in OOC then my troops appear out of nowhere in IC. Dude, unless you're using teleporters, in MT no. The moment you deploy troops into a nation from your homeland, consider that it will take time for your troops to arrive, and you'll have to pass through Typhoon Yolanda, the ice in the Arctic Circle, and scurvy, hunger, disease, and homesickness lying around in the holds of a transport ship. And 2500 tanks landing in one point is like a massive congregation of sitting dux for a multi-kilometer radius tactical wipeout missile.

Ok. Now for the actual RP gameplay.

4) "I fire nukes! I win!"-style gawdmawds. I admit I did this-sending a barrage of guided 16" rounds then assuming that I destroyed my enemy. Ask Volsvakia-I learned my lesson from him. After all, it takes a lot of scratches to carve something out of wood, eh? You can't assume the effects of an action. If you want to avoid this type of gawdmawd, simply toss a well-thought battle move to one of your co-players in an International Incidents thread, then he will dictate what he lost. That's why most threads have the rule of not dictating others' losses to your attacking troops/defensive line.

5) Last but not the least, NS is just a game. Have fun, not stress. It's where you can have fun, not more stress. While not denying you should think of good moves to do in an RP thread, don't make the stress of thinking of good moves and worrying about the future of your virtual word-based nation seep into your life and destroy you.
Last edited by Esalonia on Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tech level: NS MT
Esalonian Factbook *does not use NS Stats anymore*
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Member of these Multilateral Organizations
Fortitudinem wrote:They're a budding power. Pun intended.

Marquesan wrote:You have a damned fine advanced understanding of interior and exterior ballistics for a fifteen year old.

Gim wrote:

You would be an excellent Filipino Super Junior member. :p

Facebook chat:
Sum frind: okay klng? (Are you okay?)
Me: Yes. I am definitely okay in a mental asylum
Sum frind: ?

A Proud Adherent to the Nordic Model

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents