NATION

PASSWORD

If you could give advice to a new player...

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Techno-Soviet
Senator

Founded: Jan 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Techno-Soviet » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:48 am

* If your feel your skills are lacking, don't be afraid to ask for help, but don't let others force 'help' down your throat, or try to get you to succumb to peer pressure. This is the Internet, there is no peer pressure here.

* Have fun.
Last edited by Techno-Soviet on Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
[align=center]Economic Tyranny/Libertarian: 6.38
Social Libertarian/Tyranny: -3.33

Sapiency
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapiency » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:47 am

Techno-Soviet wrote:
    * If your feel your skills are lacking, don't be afraid to ask for help, but don't let others force 'help' down your throat, or try to get you to succumb to peer pressure. This is the Internet, there is no peer pressure here.

* Have fun.

I think you said that last one wrong.

*Have fun, be called a noob, have stats and your nation's 'population' thrown at you, then go to Future Tech and feel much better about yourself.

*Or go to General, where you will be completely free of molestation.
Last edited by Sapiency on Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Interstellar Aretecratic Union of Sapiency

Storm on his mother finding him out mid-coitus
<Storm_> She found me... mid-rut.
<Storm_> She asked me "What are you doing?"
<Storm_> And probably because I was suicidal I said 'I think this position is known as the doggy style'
Well, I don't see anything wrong with calling Jolt/OMAC a bunch of assholes that apply oral suction to diseased genitalia. -Reppy
Or the "THE SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME LIBERAL PANSY GAYFEST COMMUNIST LOVE HOUR", because you know that's what Faux News will do if you make them. -Dontgonearthere

The Great Lord Tiger
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Lord Tiger » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:12 am

Sapiency wrote:
Techno-Soviet wrote:

* Have fun.

I think you said that last one wrong.

*Have fun, be called a noob, have stats and your nation's 'population' thrown at you, then go to Future Tech and feel much better about yourself.

*Or go to General, where you will be completely free of molestation.

You play with the wrong people, then.

Or else you're doing something wrong (100000 tanks when your population is only 10X that? Spare me.)

While older players can usually pass off alts as having more than their 'official' listing (due to the fact that they can be trusted to RP correctly), newer players are often held to the limits imposed by the NS system, simply because it forces you to roleplay on a smaller scale and/or not be able to shrug off losses. You get used to losing and, along the way, learn to RP the RIGHT way.
All my II/RP information:
JOLT VETERAN

Member of: League of Armed Neutrality & Inter-Galactic Security Council

Immortal Lands of the Great Lord Tiger - "Imglot" | Imglot Fleet Warning Level (IFWAL): 1|2|3|4|5
Imglot Factbook | Terrestrial Military | Stellar Military | Forces
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.74
I just about the same as Romano Prodi, according to the international chart

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:18 pm

1) Let someone else say "read the stickies." Sure II by and large has the quality standards of a Chinese sweatshop, but I look on my "lol stickies nub" days with great embarrassment, and really most of the people who say that instead of letting bad RPers get b& through their own spammish dumbassery is other bad RPers who really need to get b& due to their spammish dumbassery.

2) That being said, aspire above the sweatshop.
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Hiaku
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hiaku » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Satirius wrote:1) Let someone else say "read the stickies." Sure II by and large has the quality standards of a Chinese sweatshop, but I look on my "lol stickies nub" days with great embarrassment, and really most of the people who say that instead of letting bad RPers get b& through their own spammish dumbassery is other bad RPers who really need to get b& due to their spammish dumbassery.

2) That being said, aspire above the sweatshop.

dont use execive formatting ie: wtf are you talking about satirus
and dont be afraid to ask for help for the first 2 months i didn't know how to use a sig
Set 50 years after today
Ifreann wrote:Islam ran over my dog once. I tried to take the license plate number, but apparently anthropomorphic personifications of religions have the forethought to take their plates off before they go joyriding.

Lunatic Goofballs wrote:God is Bi. He's inside all of us. :shock:

T i g e r wrote:
Yootopia wrote:Wank.

What is wank?

Satirius
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Also, there's a spellcheck built into the posting area, which gives you options on correct word spellings when you right-click it.

Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Thu Jun 10, 2010 2:05 am

Advice for n00bs? Oh God...

1. Read the stickies. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO annoying when some new nation starts one of those "I declare war on everyone" threads.

2. When trying to purchase military equipment in GE&T, use the calculators. Also, read the ENTIRE design post. A lot of the questions that I get are from people who couldn't be arsed to read beyond the first paragraph of a design post. Don't be like them.

3. Never be afraid to ask for help. Some people might be dickish to people who ask for help, but the good RPers will at least try to help you, if they have the RL time in which to do so, or they'll refer you to someone who they think can help you.

4. Talk to good RPers, and see if they would be willing to mentor you.

5. If you have any interest in designing your own equipment, join the NSDraftroom. I really don't care if people call NSD a bunch of self-serving POS's, they are there to help. Just don't go down the GWO route, and do something that is not realistic, like double barreled tanks. Your equipment will get a lot more respect when it has gone through NSD. Period.

6. Lay low the first couple of weeks or so, and try to establish who the good RPers are. The group at NSD are all good RPers, for example. Better than the average bad RPer, at any rate.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

The Great Lord Tiger
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 25, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Great Lord Tiger » Thu Jun 10, 2010 11:33 am

Lamoni wrote:snip

Advertise moar.
All my II/RP information:
JOLT VETERAN

Member of: League of Armed Neutrality & Inter-Galactic Security Council

Immortal Lands of the Great Lord Tiger - "Imglot" | Imglot Fleet Warning Level (IFWAL): 1|2|3|4|5
Imglot Factbook | Terrestrial Military | Stellar Military | Forces
My political compass
Economic Left/Right: 0.25
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 3.74
I just about the same as Romano Prodi, according to the international chart

Third Spanish States
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 09, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Third Spanish States » Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:07 pm

Always check the population, military information(usually in its signature's Factbook, Wikistates or NSWiki) and alliances of a NS that posted that thread about killing muslims, Jews, furries, smurfs or whatever before declaring war on them. If you don't, you might end digging your NationState's grave.

Going blindly "I DECLAER WAR" is plain suicide, specially for younger NSes.

This was probably posted before, but considering the way things are going, it didn't work.
Last edited by Third Spanish States on Thu Jun 10, 2010 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PMT Factbook.
Honoro Sacrificium e Libertas : The Mindset, Jaredcohenia, New-Lexington, Binaria, Varejao, Hogsweat, Franberry, ChevyRocks, Izistan, Ulanpataar, North-Point, The Mindset, Vault 10, Rosbaningrad, Sharfghotten, Tyrandis, South Sharfgotten, Jeuna, Satirius, Zukariaa, Midlauthia et New Nicksyllvania.
Izistan wrote:Third Spanish States is a well known far-right activist so his attempts at humor can only be expected.

Umbagar wrote:%*$#! I put a crack in my screen thanks to the awesome "place fist here" sign. >:(

Lhazastan wrote:if all you want to do is run around being the big badass of a community, not only are you pathetic, but you are a bad RPer

Saxon Germany wrote:[...]you're practically a professional troll, TSS.[...]

The Grand World Order
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 03, 2007
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby The Grand World Order » Thu Jun 10, 2010 10:24 pm

Lamoni wrote: Just don't go down the GWO route, and do something that is not realistic, like double barreled tanks.

Not anymore. I ditched that a while ago, actually. Opted for a 152mm cannon instead (at DL's advice.)

But yeah... I really advise not just making things cause "odam it loks kol in dis video game!!!!" or TV shows or what have you.
United States Marine Corps Non-Commissioned Officer turned Private Military Contractor
Basque American
NS's only post-apoc, neo-western, cassette-punk, conspiracy-laden, pseudo-mystic Fascist UN-clone utopia
Peace sells, but who's buying? | Right is the new punk
A Better Class of Fascist
Got Discord? Add me at griff1337
Economic Left/Right: 4.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 8.13
Amerikians: That sir, is one Epic Tank.
Altamirus: Behold the fascist God of War.
Aelosia: Shiiiiit, you are hot. More pics, I demand.

Israelite Nation
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Israelite Nation » Fri Jun 11, 2010 6:31 am

help

Anemos Major
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Anemos Major » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:26 am

Israelite Nation wrote:help

A note to everyone; one-word posts are not appreciated. Try and flesh out the things you write a little more than you usually would.
Don't take a picture from wikipedia, copy a factbox and sell that on the Global Economics forum. It's obvious, it's poor quality, and it won't do you any good.
Think about what you do before you do it. I've seen people launch frontal daylight attacks with bombers at low altitude, and it's rather dull to watch.
Don't buy anything from Satirius. He'll exploit you for all it's worth (actually, take a look at his bullpup design).

Zimbaltor
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Zimbaltor » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:24 pm

Ok im a new member and all this advice is helpful, but if i where an older member i would give this advice to a newer member.

Deal with issues as wisely as possible! it will effect a lot of things that have to do with your nation in the future

Sapiency
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapiency » Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Zimbaltor wrote:Ok im a new member and all this advice is helpful, but if i where an older member i would give this advice to a newer member.

Deal with issues as wisely as possible! it will effect a lot of things that have to do with your nation in the future

No.

In RP terms, your nation class doesn't mean shit.
The Interstellar Aretecratic Union of Sapiency

Storm on his mother finding him out mid-coitus
<Storm_> She found me... mid-rut.
<Storm_> She asked me "What are you doing?"
<Storm_> And probably because I was suicidal I said 'I think this position is known as the doggy style'
Well, I don't see anything wrong with calling Jolt/OMAC a bunch of assholes that apply oral suction to diseased genitalia. -Reppy
Or the "THE SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME LIBERAL PANSY GAYFEST COMMUNIST LOVE HOUR", because you know that's what Faux News will do if you make them. -Dontgonearthere

Satirius
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:24 am

Anemos Major wrote:
Israelite Nation wrote:help

A note to everyone; one-word posts are not appreciated. Try and flesh out the things you write a little more than you usually would.
Don't take a picture from wikipedia, copy a factbox and sell that on the Global Economics forum. It's obvious, it's poor quality, and it won't do you any good.
Think about what you do before you do it. I've seen people launch frontal daylight attacks with bombers at low altitude, and it's rather dull to watch.
Don't buy anything from Satirius. He'll exploit you for all it's worth (actually, take a look at his bullpup design).

I'll also tell you to do crack

Travellerius
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Travellerius » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:09 am

OK fellow newbies I've created a sort of group thing called SNOM (small nations organized military) for if you feel militarily helpless and unable to act as you like for lack of population/military size. Go to this link to check it out and sign up, the more who join the more efficient it will be. http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=56214&p=2383252#p2383252
I am the proud founder of SNOM
Hectanor
Impaleen
Sucrati
Stalin rules
Horsefish
Basorik
Hawksworth Nations
Infjyhndeng (not a joke,it is a real nation)
Koenigzberg
Newivory
Uberskill
Knubknub
Bellca
Rechnarg
Strangereal
Dino-lover Nation
Strangereal
Kwewu
Tzek
Northern Bavungria
Subas India
Kairavamori
Accountants N Lawyers
Sharfghotten
DaWoad
Don-Valentino
Great Nepal
Manahakatouki
New Immortallia
Blademasters765
Silver beach
Alexdrianda
San Pellegrino Romana
Joesavi
New Bern99
Kaputer
Palmerozi
Shabarik
Khytenna
Tretskivucia
Jurgenty
Medyum
Unicario
Underium
Scario
The Saladin

Factbook of Travellerius

Marin Luther King said: "peace could last forever"... He was shot.

Satirius
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:16 am

The only problem I see with that is that you break 50 million pretty damned fast. For example, it only takes six months to get to a billion. That's about 167 million people a month. You'll break 50 million in less than two weeks.

Travellerius
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Travellerius » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:07 pm

The idea is that you are a "member" (full protection and decision making) then you become a "sponsor" (ability to influence SNOM and use in certain circumstances in exchange for help and resources) after you break 50mil
I am the proud founder of SNOM
Hectanor
Impaleen
Sucrati
Stalin rules
Horsefish
Basorik
Hawksworth Nations
Infjyhndeng (not a joke,it is a real nation)
Koenigzberg
Newivory
Uberskill
Knubknub
Bellca
Rechnarg
Strangereal
Dino-lover Nation
Strangereal
Kwewu
Tzek
Northern Bavungria
Subas India
Kairavamori
Accountants N Lawyers
Sharfghotten
DaWoad
Don-Valentino
Great Nepal
Manahakatouki
New Immortallia
Blademasters765
Silver beach
Alexdrianda
San Pellegrino Romana
Joesavi
New Bern99
Kaputer
Palmerozi
Shabarik
Khytenna
Tretskivucia
Jurgenty
Medyum
Unicario
Underium
Scario
The Saladin

Factbook of Travellerius

Marin Luther King said: "peace could last forever"... He was shot.

Bored Mei
Bureaucrat

Founded: May 28, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bored Mei » Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:17 pm

The advice I would give a newbie? Find a region you'll like to stay in and you'll have a great time.

Hegstoria
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 08, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hegstoria » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:40 am

The city is Capital. The building is capitol. It's a pet peeve of mine, and it drives me nuts when people use the wrong one, it's like 1st grade stuff.
"Quotation is a serviceable substitute for wit."-Oscar Wilde

Defcon 5: Pax Hegstoriana
Defcon 4: Ehh, things are pretty good, but a bit heated
Defcon 3: War seems near, but not at the moment, and far from the mind
Defcon 2: Get a helmet
Defcon 1: Put on said helmet

Colonies: South-West Hegstodia, The Hegstoria Rhodesian Confederacy(3 independent colonies), Fuair

Major Leaders: President Jonathan F. Shepherd, Vice President Francis P. Sinclair, Minister of the Interior Samuel D. Lisbon, Minister of the Armed Forces General Stanley C. McAlister

Map: -currently under a redesign-

Size: 7,825,600 km^2

Life Expectancy: 84.59 years Courtesy of Unibot

Alliances: Skyguard Defense Network

embassy program

Jeuna
Ambassador

Founded: May 21, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Jeuna » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:48 am

Plan what you're going to do a day or two before you post. This isn't IRC, so no one's expecting an immediate answer.

If it helps, draw a terrain map, or ask for one. Or, if you're better at reading or listening (not making judgements here; I'm terrible at learning this way for example), figure out the terrain in your head, or, again, ask for a description.
In memoriam; unjustly deleted: Hogsweat, Jaredcohenia, North Point, Franberry, Sharfghotten, Rosbaningrad, Tyrandis
Do not trust in oppression, nor vainly hope in robbery. Ps 62:10
Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from a completely ad-hoc plot device. - David Langford
Factbook | Diplomacy
BUT THIS IS NS

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Make sure to describe your setting with as many senses and using as many details as possible. For example, RPing is much better when instead of entering "a base full of dudes with AKs", your military enters "a dark and menacing steel-walled base, teeming with bloodthirsty enemy soldiers wielding AK-47s." And also, please just don't post one or two sentences in an RP; there is nearly always enough to write about to do at least one paragraph.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

The Ben Boys
Senator

Founded: Apr 16, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ben Boys » Fri Jul 02, 2010 9:37 am

THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ADVICE ANYONE WILL GET

I notice a lot, maybe every one on nationstates (including yours truly), are always so rash and do things the easy way like insulting one another during a debate, and try to solve problems the same way, example: http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8497, this was when I was stupid in my early days.
And then your passive about it, and check this out, (2nd page) http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=54133&p=2560495#p2560495 and everything goes fine, and at the very least don't be an asshole like I was.

"Both Religion and science require a belief in God. For believers, God is in the beginning, and for physicists He is at the end of all considerations"-Max Planck

Packers Nation

Vortiaganica
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Vortiaganica » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:53 am

Note: My nation is large (2 BILLION people) but I've never actually tried RPing, but do want to.

I've got a few questions:

1. I've seen a lot of FT and MT, but apparently there is a lot more than that. (I spent some time looking at the Economics forum)

How does FT and MT and all that actually work in RP?

Does you nation keep a seperate 'version' of itself for MT RP and FT RP and everything else?

2. How can I work out my GDP etc.

I've checked it out on some of the calculators around (15 trillion) but apparently those are supposed to be rough estimates. (if you are planning to base your RP nation on your NS one, which I would prefer to do)

How rough would you say those estimates are?

3. How active is the RP community and this point in time?

I last checked the forums a fair while ago (but didn't join) and remember thinking 'Wow, this is active'. It might be my memory, but it doesn't seem *as active* as it was, say, a few months ago.
The Grim Reaper in Disguise

Ladarehius
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ladarehius » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:18 pm

join the region Empirial States 8) 8) :) 8)

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents