NATION

PASSWORD

If you could give advice to a new player...

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Zykorinov
Minister

Founded: Nov 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Zykorinov » Sat May 08, 2010 7:38 pm

I would give the advice:

1: "Why are you here?"
If a legitimate response is received, I would move on to...
2: "Please use correct, and mature, grammar, capitalization, punctuation, and make sure to spell your words correctly, kids. Oh, and milk builds strong bones!
i̛̺̯̝̥̗̬̲'̢̺͎͎̏ͪ̏ͪ̓m͚̠̑̊ͥͯͣ ̩͍͈̓͂͂̿a̛̬̞̗̻̱͎̙̔ ̱̮̜͗ͫfͬ́ͭ̽͏̤͍̟̤͖̼a̯͇ͣ̒̃͐̈́m͖̞̘̉̍ͦ͆ͯoͯ̆͗ͫ̽͏̰̻̜̬̲̞̺u͂ͪ̎ͥ̿̅̾̕ṣ͕͇̭ͩ͂͠ ̠̟͗̃̾͋ͩͅs̢͎̻̟̙͖̖̬ͪ̏̈̅t̝̮̥̳̭͍̥ͦ͊ǫ̪̥̾̿̏̾ͩͩ̅r̼͖̘̤̈͗̈́m̡̼͎̦̙̜̜ͪͫ̆̃̅ͩẗ̢̠͍́͗ͥ̈rͣ̾̌͏͎̤̣͉̮̹͙o̖̞͕͌o͖̯͙̝̺̔ͥ̓̽̒͑͝p͆e̙͌̍ͧͨr̵͇̳̲̼͎͛ͭͦͧ͛ͦͣ

Dimoniquid
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 10, 2009
Psychotic Dictatorship

Postby Dimoniquid » Sun May 09, 2010 3:27 am

Don't get into any wars just yet. If you want to train, ask an experienced player, or an NS Trainer, and work on things you're not so good at. (E.G. Character RPs, FT, etc.)

Russkya
Bureaucrat

Founded: Oct 26, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Russkya » Sun May 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Read. A lot. If you don't enjoy reading you're playing the wrong game: Go do something else.

This is a text based roleplay game. You're going to be reading and you're going to be writing a lot. You need to be proeficient at both and the best way to do that is to read authors you like. Note their style of writing and mimic - MIMIC, NOT COPY - it. I'd suggest historical fictions, science fictions if that's your bag, etc.

The next thing, once you've decided how to present it - and these two steps usually happen simultaneously for me at least - is content. Do note that your characters are not invincible, they are probably not "l33t snipers" and for the love of all that is holy do try to avoid stereotyping your characters.

And if you're not proeficient in the use of modern English and its common grammatical rules, don't bother playing. Go do something else, you'll enjoy it more.
-- Posting infrequently. The PSR is undergoing massive revisions and is laden with other commitments. Will return soon with just as much frank military efficiency as before.--

Auman
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Tue May 11, 2010 6:13 am

One of the things I've learned over the years is that if you're going to build an alliance, start with a small core of good friends that you've met on the game or even real life friends that play with you. Opening your alliance to just anyone in an open thread is the best way to deep six your organization because damn near everyone posts in an open alliance thread. The advice I'm giving is to be picky and methodical in your entrant process.

The other thing is avoid canon like the plague and be creative. You might end up a few years down the road looking to publish your work or turn it into some other form of marketable intellectual property and end up realizing your dictator is Master Chief.
IBNFTW local 8492

Satirius
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Satirius » Tue May 11, 2010 7:31 am

No matter how dickish they might seem, #d means well.
ODECON | Pact of the Bros | Your Typical International Incidents Alliance
Satirius on WS, note this is for better RPers than you

Franberry - Sharfghotten - Rosbaningrad - Tyrandis - Jeuna
Unjustly Deleted by Unjust Tyranny, and I Don't Think I Need to Mention What I Mean by Tyranny

Utopian Collaborations
Political Columnist

Founded: May 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Utopian Collaborations » Wed May 12, 2010 6:26 pm

Be sensible, don't overdo things, gain exceptional grammar and vocabulary, and don't start out with "dud i r awsum so i deklare war on al of u".

Noitamiiced
Secretary

Founded: May 10, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Noitamiiced » Wed May 12, 2010 6:30 pm

dont piss off the mods!

karvoco
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 30, 2008
Ex-Nation

drpk

Postby karvoco » Wed May 12, 2010 7:48 pm

gain as may alliances as possible
dnt goin the w a

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Wed May 12, 2010 8:02 pm

karvoco wrote:gain as may alliances as possible
dnt goin the w a

*What?*
4/11/11

Sapiency
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sapiency » Wed May 12, 2010 11:42 pm

Hornopolis wrote:
dnt goin the w a

*What?*

"Be in as many alliances as possible."
"Do not join the World Assembly."
The Interstellar Aretecratic Union of Sapiency

Storm on his mother finding him out mid-coitus
<Storm_> She found me... mid-rut.
<Storm_> She asked me "What are you doing?"
<Storm_> And probably because I was suicidal I said 'I think this position is known as the doggy style'
Well, I don't see anything wrong with calling Jolt/OMAC a bunch of assholes that apply oral suction to diseased genitalia. -Reppy
Or the "THE SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME LIBERAL PANSY GAYFEST COMMUNIST LOVE HOUR", because you know that's what Faux News will do if you make them. -Dontgonearthere

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Thu May 13, 2010 12:55 am

Sapiency wrote:
Hornopolis wrote:
dnt goin the w a

*What?*

Both of those are terrible pieces of advice.

Being in many alliances will cause loyalty issues and clusterfucks. Joining the WA or not joining the WA means nothing, in the end, so it's not even worth discussing.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Saurea
Diplomat

Founded: May 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurea » Thu May 13, 2010 9:28 am

Advice? Hmm...

Don't resort to using nuclear weapons. Nukes are a pathetic "easy mode" solution for solving problems used by people without the skill or the wherewithal to do it themselves that only end with either you being completely ignored, being gang-stomped into the ground, or a combination of the two.
"Faith is Our Shield"
We are currently re-building this nation's history and canon. Please stand by.
Current Military Standing: Condition Zero; Peace Time

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Thu May 13, 2010 9:31 am

dnt goin the w a

I prime example of n00bish reasoning that has infected the (International Incidents) forum as of late.

No grammar, or punctuation. A lack of understanding how alliances work, and how the WA works. Not understanding the way the WA works leads to arguments when interacting with WA nations, eventually devolving into "U CANNA DOO THA, CUZ U R IN TEH WA!!1 ZOMG TEH LOL ZORS!!1!". Not understanding the way alliances work leads to possibly good IC storylines being trashed becase, suddenly, everyone friend and their fifty-odd cousins are showing up from some international genital waving.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Strathy
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 14, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strathy » Sat May 15, 2010 2:24 pm

Before RP'ing, aswell as reading the mannuals, read other threads, read through things other people have written, don't just launch in, it usually ends in ridicule.
The United Kingdom of Strathy and the Strathan Realms |Þe Ríaƺiŋ Aoniƺtit off Straðye ā þe Straðicſh Lændes | Rìoghachd Aonaichte Srathaidh is Dúthaichan Srathaidhnach
Fortune Favours the Audacious
Factbook

Monarch: His Majesty Seumas I MacPhadraig Uitail, King of Strathy, Emperor of the Strathan Realms
Prime Minister: The Right Honourable Sir Arthur Whitegrave KC KStr. MP (Democratic Labour)

This is nation does not reflect my views except for when it does. Left leaning Scot, pro-independence, twenty-something student/academic trying desperately to avoid the real world
Pro - Not being a right dick
Anti - Being a right dick

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Sat May 15, 2010 4:20 pm

It is better to use historical sources of inspiration than popular media. This helps you avoid falling into the "Flavor of the week". I know a guy that had a nation based on Robotech, Halo, Killzone and a crap load of other canon I can't remember right now. I had to stop him when I read a thread where Breetai was discussing strategic theory with Master Chief. Seriously... Don't utilize canon sources.
IBNFTW local 8492

Hornopolis
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Hornopolis » Sat May 15, 2010 6:29 pm

Auman wrote:It is better to use historical sources of inspiration than popular media. This helps you avoid falling into the "Flavor of the week". I know a guy that had a nation based on Robotech, Halo, Killzone and a crap load of other canon I can't remember right now. I had to stop him when I read a thread where Breetai was discussing strategic theory with Master Chief. Seriously... Don't utilize canon sources.

*Auman, its up to the players what they want to for a nation. I don't see the reason why they can't utilize canon sources for their nations. Can you explain why they can't?*
4/11/11

Kriania
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Kriania » Sun May 16, 2010 5:51 pm

Dont godmod, dont say you will conquer the world because you wont, respect your other nation, dont make random thread, dont act like your better than everyone because you are not, and dont declare war on everyone
Start a embassy in Kriania today: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=38986
Army 2,000,000
Navy 500,000
Airforce, 200,000
Spec Op: 20,000
Kriania is currently in a state of civil war: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39459
K-S Uranium Sales Store Front Conglomerate: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39972

Auman
Minister

Father Knows Best State

Postby Auman » Mon May 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Hornopolis wrote:
Auman wrote:It is better to use historical sources of inspiration than popular media. This helps you avoid falling into the "Flavor of the week". I know a guy that had a nation based on Robotech, Halo, Killzone and a crap load of other canon I can't remember right now. I had to stop him when I read a thread where Breetai was discussing strategic theory with Master Chief. Seriously... Don't utilize canon sources.

*Auman, its up to the players what they want to for a nation. I don't see the reason why they can't utilize canon sources for their nations. Can you explain why they can't?*

Never said they couldn't, just said it is best. In the sense that it is best to use original content when creating a work of fiction as that content will belong to you, as your intellectual property. Also, it is my opinion that it is better to leave other people's intellectual property out of your own works because it simply does not belong to you. This is of course my opinion, which is shared by others in the game. Go ahead and use any of the sources I mentioned earlier, I just don't have to like it if I don't want to. In closing, using original content is best because it is yours, it belongs to you and some players will respect you more for contributing an original piece of work to Nationstates.
IBNFTW local 8492

Po0oh
Spokesperson

Founded: May 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Po0oh » Fri May 21, 2010 4:50 pm

Steal a couple cars, go to jail once in your life. Have a phase where you try to have sex with as many girls possible in one week. Then beat that record. Throw a couple college ragers that attract police helicopters. Lastly, stop giving a fuck about school, your bedtime, and everything else for that matter. Respect NOTHING.

Then do a metaphorical life 180, the creativity needed to inspire the above incidents will follow you in your future endeavors.

Seldom do any RP'ers switch from 1st person to 3rd Person to Omniscent narration points of view. If you can do all three, every RP'er here can suck your fat one.
Last edited by Po0oh on Fri May 21, 2010 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Apaduckadagwengo
Envoy

Founded: Feb 26, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Apaduckadagwengo » Tue May 25, 2010 3:58 pm

Don't threaten to kill people when OOC, seriously...I've had my fair few like the recently banned Vungary. 8)

I'm going to find you and burn you alive you biatch
LCpl Ethan Edward West

Sungai Pusat
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sungai Pusat » Fri May 28, 2010 5:27 am

Never godmod ever in an RP, unless it is purely for fun. :lol:
Now mostly a politik discuss account.

Sapiency
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapiency » Fri May 28, 2010 11:21 pm

Sungai Pusat wrote:Never godmod ever in an RP, unless it is purely for fun. :lol:

You would know about that. :p

<Storm_> And probably because I was suicidal I said 'I think this position is known as the doggy style'
Well, I don't see anything wrong with calling Jolt/OMAC a bunch of assholes that apply oral suction to diseased genitalia. -Reppy
Or the "THE SUPER HAPPY FUNTIME LIBERAL PANSY GAYFEST COMMUNIST LOVE HOUR", because you know that's what Faux News will do if you make them. -Dontgonearthere

Sapiency
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Sapiency » Fri May 28, 2010 11:23 pm

Santheres wrote:
Sapiency wrote:
Hornopolis wrote:
dnt goin the w a

*What?*

Both of those are terrible pieces of advice.

Being in many alliances will cause loyalty issues and clusterfucks. Joining the WA or not joining the WA means nothing, in the end, so it's not even worth discussing.

Perhaps he means "Have as many allies as possible."

Sol-Kar
Minister

Founded: Jan 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Sol-Kar » Sat Jun 05, 2010 5:03 pm

Do not make bigoted posts like "beleive in god or I will kill you"

and please, have correct grammar.

Oh, and read the stickies!

Augarundus
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 22, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Augarundus » Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:57 pm

Make a better post than

"He walked off the plane with a gun."
Libertarian Purity Test Score: 160
Capitalism is always the answer. Whenever there's a problem in capitalism, you just need some more capitalism. If the solution isn't capitalism, then it's not really a problem. If your capitalism gets damaged, you just need to throw some capitalism on it and get on with your life.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents