NATION

PASSWORD

The Least Worst System (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu May 26, 2016 1:23 am

The New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia

The embassy was a villa style building, set behind an automatic wide gate with plenty of covered parking spaces. The main entrance, following going through a chemical and x ray detector, led to divided three ways--an upstairs winding stairway that led to some exectuvie offices and to the residential area, a wing devoted to offices and public affairs issues, and the other area being the kitchen, the ballroom and the larger dining room for banquets. As they came in a string quartet was playing a piece of music which was one of several selections that Ramoth had decided was appropriate to the occasion after he agreed music of a martial character would not be considered appropriate.

Arriving guests would find that there were sentries on duty in full dress with cherry red tunics, black trousers and boots, wolf fur shakos with tall stiff black feathers, who would neatly present arms or salute as necessary. Junior embassy officials in formal dress would usher people in the right direction, show them to washrooms (which were exceptionally clean), and lead them to the main ballroom which had been set up with a great many chairs. There was also a raised stage normally used by a band, and some chairs there and a podium with mircophones.

There was a buffet set up in the adjoining room, attended by several beautiful young women painted gorgeously in the hotel's colours, which included the following.
Green Tea and Lychee Seared Scallops
Roasted Red Pepper and Goats Cheese Mousse served on a Parmesan Crisp
Teriyaki Beef Tenderloin Skewers
Chicken Satay Skewers
Vegetarian Stuffed Samosas: Freshly made bundles with a Mango Chutney Dipping Sauce
Jerk Spiced Chicken served on a Plantain Chip, with Mango Chutney
Goats Cheese and Grape Truffles: Red grape wrapped in goats cheese and sprinkled with Pistachio dust
Wild Mushroom Phyllo Bundles
5 Spice Salmon Skewers with Hoison Glaze
Red Pepper and Artichoke Dip served with lightly toasted bagel chips
Classic Garlic Hummus: Chick Pea Dip served with freshly toasted & seasoned pita chips
Fresh Tomato and Cilantro Salsa served with Tri Colour Tortilla Chips
Smoked Salmon and Cream Cheese Pate with Crostini

Gourmet coffee, mint tea with honey, carbonated water (with fruit juice or without) spring water were also available. The embassy's butler, one hand behind his back, was doing a final inspection, now and then picking up a piece of silverware to surprise a nearby server, or tested the tempreature of one of the hot or cold items before wiping it off with a pice of alcohol soaked tissue. He had the stern air of a general doing a parade inspection.

It was explained that the officials would arrive shrortly and that each would explain their position, answering some questions in advance which had already been mailed to them, and that following that there would be a Q&A. Identification as to what government, NGO and press organization the guests represented had to be given. They were advised that they could enjoy the buffet and mingle until it was announced that the conference would begin.

Among the officials present were Mr. Gideon Maale-akrabbim, the Economic Affairs Adviser, who was in a wheelchair and had burn scars on one cheek like a fine reddish web, a young fair haired woman with dark blue eyes wearing a parade dress uniform with her kepi under her arm who was wandering around the buffet table looking over the butler's shoulder, and greeted and embraced a raven haired slim fair skinned woman in a parade dress air force uniform, and Mr. Caleb Ahitophel moving gracefully like a hippopotamus through a little crowd of servers and officials, nodding benevolent and sighing with pleasure at the sight of the buffet. But poor Mister Josias Vopshi, the Press Adviser, sat in a washroom by himself and sighed and wept for shame.
Last edited by New Edom on Thu May 26, 2016 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu May 26, 2016 5:27 pm

New Edomite Embassy, Embassy Row
New Laconia, Adiron

The government was still reeling from the upheaval within the SDP. Outside the Edomite embassy there were picketers and press being held back from the road by a police cordon. Although the embargoes on the Imperium remained one of the main focuses, it was rapidly being joined by concerns over human rights in general. The signs had messages like "STOP ETHNIC CLEANSING" "WOMEN'S RIGHTS = HUMAN RIGHTS" "FAIR TRADE OR BUST" and "WHERE'S THE BEEF?"

It reached a point where DeGroot had to call in Cabinet Secretaries to figure out who to send to the embassy. Deol volunteered to attend, to demonstrate that the government was still fully committed to the peace process and to good relations with New Edom in spite of the controversy. Li balked at that. "Yes, Secretary, you'd better get over there pronto. You've been summoned by the Edomites, after all. In fact, you'd better go too, Mr. President. Don't keep 'em waiting," Li remarked harshly.

"Oh yes, very good. Let's give the protestors another chance to say we don't give a shit," DeGroot retorted, folding his arms.

"That's not it at all. They're sick of bending over backwards for Fineberg," Li said before looking pointedly at Deol. "Which is what you've been pushing on this government since 2013. They see the Secretary of State rushing over to their embassy at the first sign of trouble, and those 'In Bed with New Edom' cartoons are going to feature more than just that Alvarado kid."

"This is hardly the first sign of trouble," Deol said. "And I'm surprised you're so adamant about a government that has so badly bruised your ego all this time."

"I'm doing my job as a Cabinet Secretary: looking out for the Adiran national interest as opposed to Fineberg's," Li explained archly.

"Both of you, cut the foreplay. You're not in the gimp closet now," DeGroot interrupted. "Send Undersecretary Paulsen to the embassy." In spite of further debate, that decision ended up being made final.

Undersecretary of State for Acheron Affairs Neil Paulsen was a tall, lanky, middle aged man with a trimmed full beard and short dark hair. Sticking out in a crowd about a head taller than everyone else, he seemed to wear a perpetual slight grin. He had been one of the two Adiran delegates to the somewhat rocky but ultimately successful peace talks over Peregrino held in Callaban. He was told this was a sensitive matter, so upon entering his first instinct was to look for the Press Advisor. Making small talk with everyone along the way while approaching the buffet table, he got all the way there and assembled a plate with a few of the dips and chips. Halfway through his plate, he finally approached one of the uniformed women. "Good afternoon, Miss. Compliments to your caterers, by the way," he said, holding up his plate. "My name is Neil Paulsen, Undersecretary for Acheron Affairs. Would you be able to point me in the direction of Josias Vopshi, the embassy's Press Advisor?"

Green Assemblywoman Martha Rutherford was sent to represent her party, having been recently appointed to the Energy Committee and eager to get her name out there. She was a pear-shaped, long-nosed middle aged woman who wore her hair in the same bun for twenty years with minimal makeup. The Edomites might have remembered that she had been critical of FODE and was a strong proponent of renewable energy. She took flak during the oil crisis for hinting that the FODE embargo might be good for Adiron in the long run by allowing green energy to compete. Though she hadn't been present at a protest yet like Paquin, she supported their demands like the rest of her party and was critical of the Eskura project. Whatever other issues, she actually seemed pleased at the healthy spread the Edomites put out. She and her staff grabbed plates before going to mingle.

The representatives from the SCTF stood out for arriving in traditional ceremonial attire, which had been explained as such to the Edomites. Three tribes were officially represented, the Arvo, Garda, and Folau. Mok Akadin was the Arvo delegate, arriving bare-chested but wearing fairly respectable khaki pants and sandals. His torso and shaved head was covered with dark tattoos, all of them abstract ancestral symbols. In between the tattoos were ridged ritual scars and dots, along with one puckered well-healed bullet wound in his shoulder. Chief Detra was the Folau leader, who had a few more vibrant tattoos on his arms, a feather mantle draped around his neck with red macaw feathers outlining the edges, and a number of bone adornments on his weathered face and through his topknot. Like Mok Akadin he was wearing pants with sandals. A thin stripe on Detra's stomach appeared to be painted red, while his back was bare. Third was the Garda Chief Roika, who wore a simple but rather elaborately adorned robe. Many of the adornments were animals, including two megalania running up the sides, an eagle in the center on his chest, a spider totem around his neck, a pair of herons on his shoulders, and several others arranged somewhat randomly. He had long black hair, a wizened appearance, and owing to a limp had a walking stick. Not a cane, but an actual sturdy stick that looked hacked from a tree. The three tribal leaders walked up to the buffet and seemed to hesitate, unsure what some of it was, occasionally asking questions to each of their interpreters or guides but eventually settling on a few items.

From the ACSW, Valerie Ko and the press advisor Pete Danforth arrived both wearing suits. Ko had rather deliberately chosen not to wear a skirt. Upon entering she seemed to notice the women in uniform first, but she was quickly dismayed when she saw body-painted young women doing the serving. She then quickly reminded herself not to allow herself to be buttered up by the greetings. No matter how good hosts they were, it didn't change their policies and attitudes. Ultimately she did make her way to the buffet though, taking a small plate of scallops before scanning the crowd for Olsen.

The press was represented as well. The Adir Almanack was a Green-leaning publication that had frequently pitted itself against corporate interests, including Thorco. They sent Joshua Lunsford, who by appearances and manner defied the Green stereotype by being almost an almost entirely clean-cut somewhat athletic man not entirely dissimilar to Olsen. Maybe if someone got very close to him, within an inch, they might detect a hint of a pungent smell. The only other hint was that after checking in he hit the buffet right away, taking a couple of samosas, salmon, and chips with several dips. He quickly came across Ahitophel. "Mr. Ahitophel, Your Excellency," he said in a friendly, affable way, bowing a bit loosely. "Josh Lunsford, Adir Almanack. I understand you're with the NPC."

Maria Withers arrived looking rather flinty-eyed. The reporter for the New Laconia Times maintained that she never once flirted or acted seductively towards any Edomite military personnel down in Hesperinius' HQ, least of all the general himself. Withers said she was wearing capris because she was in the middle of the desert in Arcologia, the same way the men with her were wearing shorts. Her supporters were adamant that wearing supposedly tight capris was not and would never be an invitation to feel someone up. Records of the Haggith Affair were being rehashed, including the claims of the now-cashiered defendants claiming that Haggith dressing a certain way brought the sexual harassment upon herself. Today she was dressed rather modestly in a woman's suit. Despite wearing slacks, however, they still couldn't quite hide the shape of her rather broad hips and the curve of her bottom.

Chris Olsen and Holly Lemay represented ANBC. Chris was in a suit, which to those who knew him would have looked out of place. Holly was wearing a black fitted skirt with a modest, free-flowing blouse and high heels that clacked on the floor with each step. Her arm was entwined with his until they reached security. Once they got through to the main hall, Holly snapped a few pictures, trying to account for a who's who. Chris suggested "You might want to check with our hosts."

"Well they know who I am, right?" Holly asked, snapping another as she did so.

"Yeah, but you remember what happened on the train to Carnmag," Chris reminded her.

"Oh I know better now," she said matter-of-factly. "But this is a press event."

In doing so, Holly drew attention to herself. Ko saw Olsen first and then spotted the pretty young woman snapping pictures next to him. 'Our goodwill ambassador, ladies and gentlemen...' she thought a bit wryly. Swallowing her pride, she approached Holly with a smile and said "Miss Lemay?"

"Hi," she said in a friendly way, abruptly putting the phone away. Chris was trying to place Ko.

"My name is Valerie Ko, Executive Director for the ACSW," she said, extending a handshake.

"Oh, nice to meet you," Holly said, returning it without thinking too much.

"And you must be Chris Olsen," Ko said, smiling at him. "I've always admired what you do, putting yourself in harm's way to get the truth out."

"Just doing my job, Miss...Ko?" he replied.

"Well, you're a braver man than I, Mr. Olsen, but in a lot of ways our jobs are similar," Valerie said. "We're after the truth as well, in New Edom. You saw our statement?"

"Right, condemning the state of women's rights in New Edom and calling for the CPO to investigate," Chris replied rather drily. Holly looked up at him and then back to Val.

'Hmph,' Ko thought, pivoting slightly. "It was more of a reminder that these issues aren't going away even with the elections, regrettably. Anyway, Miss Lemay, we've all seen your work over in New Edom and the Chairwoman was impressed. You helped bring cultural awareness of New Edom to millions of Adirans," she lied convincingly. "How would you like to do that again?"

"What do you mean?" Holly asked.

"You are a known quantity over in New Edom from your work during the Civil War. You've shown a genuine interest and curiosity regarding their culture. And we think you would be trusted as a neutral party. The ACSW wants to offer you the position as goodwill ambassador for the investigation if it gets underway," she said, managing to say it all with a straight face.

"Wait, me?!" Holly asked incredulously.

"Take your time, don't answer right now. After all, we still have to see if they'll even allow it," Ko said, before fishing a business card out of a pocket. "But if they do, and you'd like to keep helping New Edom, give me a call. Anyway, it was very nice meeting both of you. I hope to see you again soon," she concluded with a bright smile before leaving to get a drink from the buffet. She saw Holly look down at the business card and then back at Chris. 'All right, that's one job down,' Ko thought. Behind her Holly stuffed the business card away somewhere and pointed at the buffet excitedly to Chris, dragging him along.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Thu May 26, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu May 26, 2016 7:32 pm

The New Edomite Embassy

"I am Caleb Ahitophel," replied that worthy. "Yes indeed. Director for Trade Operations, at your service. I was asked to come in to speak of some of our economic developments," he said, replying to the bow tiha slightly smaller one as he dated his eyes to the salmon skewers. "Now this looks rather amusing...a culinary homage to your country, eh? And rightly so...rather a cross roads...and I shall partake in that vein of course,' he said, nearly using tongs, skewers, forks and when needs be his large olive skinned fingers to pick up what he needed arranging them on his plate with the agility of a skilled Tetris player. "General Ramoth is reputed to be a good host and set a fine table. Ah!" he raised a joyous hand. "Magno chutney! Now I had it of excellent quality in the Chorus Isles, if I may say one of the most beautiful parts of the Region, have you been there?"

Not far off Neil Paulsen had bowed and greeted the two uniformed women. They both turned from having been discreetly observing the tribal leaders as they snacked lightly between talk in Baran.

"Commander Heep," said the raven haired one.

"Lieutenant-Colonel Wendt," said the fair haired.

Both bowed. "I think you might find the good press secretary in the gentlmen's powder room, second floor," said Wendt politely. "It's an honour to meet you, sir. You did very good work on the CPO matter of Peregrino. You're something of Mr. Secretary Deol's expert on these matters are you not?"

A young waitress, painted like titer lillies on blue water, with shoulder length very wavy-curly dark brown hair, with matching brown eyes and a warm smile to all who had been arriving as she circulating with glasses of fizzy water chilled with lemon or lime. Her breasts were very firm and conical in shape . Her waist was trim, and she was slim hipped for all the Edomite deal of hour glass beauty. She offered Maria, then Ko and then Chris and Holly each a tall frost rimmed flute of fizzy water and lime with a smile before moving on to others.

Pagiel Camon came through the crowd walkign briskly, saying "Excuse me...excuse me..." where required and came up to the stage where he spoke into a microphone. "Ladies and gentlemen, if you would please move towards your seats, the conference will begin in just a few minutes, thank you all so much for coming."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu May 26, 2016 9:47 pm

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

A few more people made their way into the embassy before things got rolling. More members of the press, a few more politicians with bones to pick, and a group of uniformed Army and Navy officers arrived. The vast majority at least sampled some of the buffet or took a drink. Some were distracted by the essentially naked young women serving them.

"No, I've never been to Chorus, Your Excellency," Joshua replied to Ahitophel before they concluded. "But I've been down south to Rizal, got some good surfing down there. Oh, don't forget to try one of these," he said casually, pointing to one of the items on his plate. "Have you been over here a lot?"

When Paulsen was told the Press Advisor was indisposed, he didn't grasp that he'd been banished. "I see. I suppose I'll have to find him some other time, then. It is a pleasure to meet both of you," he said, before joking to Wendt "I think that's the nicest career assessment I've ever heard."

He then addressed Heep. "By the way, Commander, despite the running commentary in the press the general consensus among the military and the State Department is that your handling of that incident in the Palisades was entirely fair. The military was quick to point out that it is a difficult situation with a certain degree of ambiguity. Rest assured that the work you and General Hesperinius are doing is appreciated by those who understand what's at stake the most."

"Oh thanks," Holly said to her server with a smile, inclining her head a bit. Turning back to Chris she said "So what do you think about what she said? You never answered."

"I think...it's all for publicity," Chris said, chewing a bit thoughtfully.

"Hmm?" Holly said, confused.

"You keep forgetting people know who you are," he said with a grin that faded quickly. "I think they want to use you to get a higher profile."

"I don't know..."

"Put it this way: Are you part of the ACSW?"

"No," Holly said.

"Ever plugged them anywhere?"

"No..."

"Signed anything?"

"No," she said.

"Ever donated to them?"

"No."

"So why'd they pick you?"

"Hmm," she said, nibbling a bit on her lip.

"Some of this could blow over anyway," he said as Camon called the crowd in. The rest of the politicians and activists had spent the time mingling a bit, giving some brief introductions. Rutherford introduced herself to Ahitophel but didn't speak about business, she ran out of time. Ko casually said hello to Heep and Wendt at the buffet table. Of the SCTF reps, Detra the Folau seemed the most accustomed to everything despite having some of the more ornate tribal decorations. Mok Akadin and Roika by contrast left some food on their plates, though Roika did so deliberately to show that he had been provided ample hospitality.

The Adirans filtered into the seating area, looking for their names while continuing to nibble a bit on their food. The SCTF interpreters, who were dressed in suits, briefly paused to point the way for the chiefs. Paulsen and his aides were seated near the front, as were the tribal leaders and Assemblywoman Rutherford, who had only made small talk and hadn't said anything to Paulsen. The press and activist groups were behind them. Journalists had notepads or recording devices at the ready, eagerly awaiting for the Edomites to clear things up, add to the confusion, or dig themselves deeper into the hole.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu May 26, 2016 10:44 pm

The New Edomite Embassy

"Thank you very much," said Heep with a slight smile. She had lightly freckled fair skin, an upturned nose and a raven bob, her body slim in contrast to Wendt's svelte pear shape.

"I have not been there," Ahitophel was saying, "But yes these shrimp look plump as a well fed merchant's tum, as my old dad used to say..."

As they were talking however, a soldier of the embassy's honour guard had arrived and a brief fanfare struck up to get everyone's attention. Then "Ladies and gentlemen, please rise for His Excellency the Ambassador,"

General Ramoth, a dark haired balding man with a short neat moustache and dark eyes, wearing a high collared parade dress uniform with medals on, kepi under his arm, marched briskly between the rows of chairs accompanied by General Zadok Hespereinus, dressed similarly, grim and hirsute, rough featured, with the more presentable Admiral Daniel Esarhaddon in navy blue. The New Edomites present one and all (the waitresses had made themselves scarce, the butler closed the door to the adjoining room with the buffet) bowed or came to attention as appropriate.

They marched neatly and briskly up onto the stage. Camon whispered to Ramoth who nodded curtly, and Ramoth, eyeing the crowd with an unreadable sharp gaze sweeping over the room, resting here and there without seming pattern, though he distinctly gave a courteous nod each to Paulsen and to Ahitophel, who waddled after them and joined them on the stage, chair creaking sadly beneath him as he sat neatly, finally said curtly, "Please be seated.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I am Major-General Nathan Ramtoh, the Ambassador appointed by Their Majesties. I have been the ambassador here since 2015. During that time I have I hope enjoyed the hospitality of the Government of Adiron," he paused to bow to Paulsen, "and I feel we have conducted ourselves well. During my time here we have negotiated the de-militarization of the Jedorian-Edomite border, began a successful mediation of peace in Ashab, have formed an anti-piracy treaty in particular concerning the Ura Sea, and have begun a peace process concerning the territorial boundary dispute between the Imperium of Arbites and the Republic of Adiron.

"Adiron is a major trading partner of New Edom now. We have gun oil development in Ghant, a development which will mutually benefit the National Pteroleum Corporation, Thorco and the Ghantish people, particularly in Eskura, wher there is a lack of fuel to meet the needs of the people during cold winters. The flow of natural gas will heat homes and untimatelly free up local industry to begin improving the lives of people in the area.

"Two years ago we began our initial involvement in exploring the causes of piracy, drug smuggling and genral chaotic violence in the Union of South Ceti, and last year initially the 18th Mounted Light Infantry and later the Light Division as well as a naval expeditionary force were sent to the Union of South Ceti to deal with a force of rogue mercenaries who had been attempting to seize control of the area of Cabazon Beach as well as incursions of Arvo tribesmen. The Arvo," he looked sternly at Mok, then back at his notes to which he only occasionally referred, "Have for some time been raiding coastal communities which they would raid for supplies, killing most men and old people if they could and taking some men to work as slaves while women were taken for forced concubinage. Refusal to negotiate, take prisoners or consider alternatives has required us to use the full miltiary measures necessary to bring the Arvo in the Leser Diols to either an understanding that our victory is inevitable or if need be to remove all dependents..." he flipped hte page of his notes, "Destroying a way of life which we must conclude is heathen, hostile and uncivilized. Admiral Esarhaddon will be glad to answer questions regarding this"

"Now: there are concerns by some here about the details of a number of areas of Edomite government policy. It is natural that you are concerned. This is how this will work. I will field general political questions concerning our national policy. Mr. Ahitophel will field any questions particular to the National Petroleum Corporation. General Hesperinus will field questions regarding operations of our land and air forces--possibly delegating to others--and Admiral Esarhadon will deal with matters related to our operations in the Lesser Diols. We will take one question for each of these men for now, and then after the answers momre may be asked."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri May 27, 2016 11:14 pm

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

Mok Akadin met Esarhaddon's stare directly, narrowing his eyes defiantly. By the end Akadin's expression had turned to one of anger and indignation, and he whispered harshly to two of the others. Roika seemed equally concerned, while the Folau Detra seemed to be trying to convince them of something.

Rising to his feet and pointing to Admiral Esarhaddon, Mok Akadin's interpreter tried to keep up as the Arvo leader made a rather passionate defense. "Admiral, you made no effort to communicate with the villages you bombed. They were attacked without warning. "

"For decades we have been starved, bombed, and boxed into a corner surrounded by enemies. Our men give their lives in the face of annihilation. Your nation was very recently attacked without warning by the Damocleans, who sought to destroy your way of life, indiscriminately killing your people. You fought back, you sacrificed. Why shouldn't we?"

"Since you have not answered the Federation's questions, we ask you again: where is the evidence that the people you bombed were pirates? What are you doing with our women and children?" The crowd stirred, a number of activists looking at Esarhaddon accusingly, hushed words spreading through the attendees. Paulsen glanced back and forth from Esarhaddon to Akadin, watching the response intently.

The Green MA Martha Rutherford rose next, fielding a question for the NPC rep. "Mr. Ahitophel, you spoke briefly about the supposed benefits the Eskura oilfield will bring to the indigenous peoples of northern Ghant. However, I feel your analysis is somewhat lacking, as it fails to account for the harmonious relationship which exists between those peoples and the environment," she said.

"Just as with natural ecosystems, it would take very little to disrupt the equilibrium that these people maintain with nature. Given that it is impossible for a project of this size and scope not to have significant environmental impacts, how exactly will your company and its partners protect the northern Ghantish peoples' traditional way of life?" she asked, waiting politely for an answer.

Sensing the direction the conference seemed to be heading, Paulsen stood up next. "Admiral Esarhaddon, or General Hesperinius, for the past several years the Ura Sea, indeed, many of Arcologia's coastal waters have been some of the most dangerous to merchant shipping, fishing fleets, and recreational vessels in the region. Piracy and human trafficking remain serious problems in the area."

"Given New Edom's now rather extensive military activities in Arcologia, can you comment on any positive developments you have observed in the Union of South Ceti since your arrival?" he asked, looking back and forth between the two officers. Mok Akadin grumbled something to his interpreter before glowering at Paulsen.

Chris Olsen was the next to field a question, Holly looking up at him, apparently unsure what he was going to say. "Ambassador, as you are well aware the proposed lifting of the embargo with the Imperium has created a great deal of controversy here in Adiron. A protest movement has arose arguing that such a measure would not only entail giving into threats of military force by Magus Civitas, but would compromise Adiron's fundamental stance on human rights and surrender its national honor. There also remain grave concerns over trading with a nation that remains hostile to the Republic, particularly one which maintains a major military presence on our eastern border."

"Given that your government has so far acted as the chief arbitrator of the peace agreement, how does it plan on addressing these concerns, and how does your government respond to the charges made by the protest movement?" he asked.

Valerie Ko sat and watched the conference unfold, taking notes apparently by typing on a tablet. She was tapping away at more than just notes, as she was also exchanging discreet messages with Maria Withers who was sitting in another section. Eventually Ko calmly stood and fielded a question to Ramoth. "Ambassador, New Edom was recently the subject of a human rights report by Esperance International, which is publicly available and I won't go into at this time. My main question relates to your government's response to that report, which categorically stated that it would not accept any recommendations which advocated a feminist approach to women's issues."

"What exactly does that mean? If New Edom has rejected Esperance International's recommendations, what is being done to address the relevant women's rights issues instead?"

Maria Withers waited with her arms folded and legs crossed for the answer to Ko's question before standing and staring Hesperinius down. "General, the Haggith Affair revealed a number of disturbing implications regarding gender politics in the Edomite military culture. No regulations or training appeared to exist regarding sexual harassment; the three defendants were sentenced on fraternization charges. Even officers called as witnesses did not recognize that Lieutenant Haggith's treatment by her superiors constituted harassment."

"My question, then, is simply what reforms on harassment policy have been carried out in the Edomite military since the Haggith Affair two years ago?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat May 28, 2016 2:45 am

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

Mok Akadin met Esarhaddon's stare directly, narrowing his eyes defiantly. By the end Akadin's expression had turned to one of anger and indignation, and he whispered harshly to two of the others. Roika seemed equally concerned, while the Folau Detra seemed to be trying to convince them of something.

Rising to his feet and pointing to Admiral Esarhaddon, Mok Akadin's interpreter tried to keep up as the Arvo leader made a rather passionate defense. "Admiral, you made no effort to communicate with the villages you bombed. They were attacked without warning. "

"For decades we have been starved, bombed, and boxed into a corner surrounded by enemies. Our men give their lives in the face of annihilation. Your nation was very recently attacked without warning by the Damocleans, who sought to destroy your way of life, indiscriminately killing your people. You fought back, you sacrificed. Why shouldn't we?"

"Since you have not answered the Federation's questions, we ask you again: where is the evidence that the people you bombed were pirates? What are you doing with our women and children?" The crowd stirred, a number of activists looking at Esarhaddon accusingly, hushed words spreading through the attendees. Paulsen glanced back and forth from Esarhaddon to Akadin, watching the response intently.

Admiral Daniel Esarhaddon was a handsome, striking distsinguished looking man, richly olive tanned with salt and pepper short hair and fitting his uniform well into his late forties. He met the Arvo representative's gaze evenly when their eyes met. When eh responded to Akadin, eh put his icrophone before him and said, "Mok Akadin: your question is a highly relevant one. Why did we bomb the Arvo villages we bombed, and why did we kill the men there and evacuate the women and children?

"We did so because the MV Cora Nevis and two Confederate fishing boats had been attacked from those villages. Using an S-100 Shiebel Camcopter drone the NENS Samson plotted a trajectory of approach to the nearest possible areas of habitation using the likely fuel reserves and found that those two villages were the most likely. Clan markings were the same, and there were no other suitable habitations within the range of the boat sthat had attacked the Cora Nevis. The attackers had used rigid hulled inflatable boats to seize the fishing boats and then used them as a platform from which to attack the container ship." As he explained this, two officers from his staff had put up a screen and projected images on it showing camera imagery as well as virtual maps. "The Arvo leader was identified by the name of Mok turonin, and was killed by Adiran marines who stormed the Cora Nevis."

"it is a known fact that your people have consistently refused surrender and refused negotiations, and approaching any of your habitations results in being fired on by anti-ship missiles. A number of surface to air missiles, portable launchers, Silkworm anti ship missiles and AT-4 anti tank missiles were found in the villages my fleet has attacked so far.

"As to the women and children, they are being transported to the Union of South Ceti where they will be fed, housed, and taught useful skills to make it possible for them to be rehabilitated into the population if possible. If not we will contact Esperance International to find out if they can resttle elsewhere as long as they are peaceful."

The Green MA Martha Rutherford rose next, fielding a question for the NPC rep. "Mr. Ahitophel, you spoke briefly about the supposed benefits the Eskura oilfield will bring to the indigenous peoples of northern Ghant. However, I feel your analysis is somewhat lacking, as it fails to account for the harmonious relationship which exists between those peoples and the environment," she said.

"Just as with natural ecosystems, it would take very little to disrupt the equilibrium that these people maintain with nature. Given that it is impossible for a project of this size and scope not to have significant environmental impacts, how exactly will your company and its partners protect the northern Ghantish peoples' traditional way of life?" she asked, waiting politely for an answer.

Caleb Ahitophel sipped his water and said, "Ah yes, well we are happy to say that there will be a marvelous impact, in that people will have good jobs and will be improved in theri education. Did you know many rural Ghantar cannot even read, and that some of the people there don't have shoes to wear during the warmer months? Did you know that some of them cannot even bathe during the winter because it is too difficult to heat water? So their old way of life of course will be gone, but a better one will be achieved. Change I fear is inevitable However, oen solution we do have is this: we have two dirigibles, but they are heavily deployed in our own developing areas. If we had a third up in Ghant, why, we would reduce our need to build more roads and clear cut more forests enormously. That is something your government or Adiran companies devoted to green solutions ight help with. As for our own efforts, we intend to build a natural gas pipeline to reduce burn off and also we intend to make sur we do a heavy amoutn of tree replanting to make sure we do not reduce the area to a wasteland. That's something even Ghantish peasants are qualified to do."

Sensing the direction the conference seemed to be heading, Paulsen stood up next. "Admiral Esarhaddon, or General Hesperinius, for the past several years the Ura Sea, indeed, many of Arcologia's coastal waters have been some of the most dangerous to merchant shipping, fishing fleets, and recreational vessels in the region. Piracy and human trafficking remain serious problems in the area."

"Given New Edom's now rather extensive military activities in Arcologia, can you comment on any positive developments you have observed in the Union of South Ceti since your arrival?" he asked, looking back and forth between the two officers. Mok Akadin grumbled something to his interpreter before glowering at Paulsen.

"New Edom has made significant inroads in halting corruption in government in the Union," said Hesperinus in his perhaps surprisingly cultivated sounding voice. "We have helped fund citizens groups which provide trustworthy local police forces, we have partnered with Callabanese companies to help provide local political awareness and education, provide means by which locals can grow their own food through aquaponics, and have encouraged local business initiative to help people get out of the rut of being trapped in growing cash crops and working as virtual slaves in ines. And we have bought out the slave ownining mining interests and developed better labour practices there. Overall, we have cut down enormously on human trafficking in the Union of South Ceti."

Chris Olsen was the next to field a question, Holly looking up at him, apparently unsure what he was going to say. "Ambassador, as you are well aware the proposed lifting of the embargo with the Imperium has created a great deal of controversy here in Adiron. A protest movement has arose arguing that such a measure would not only entail giving into threats of military force by Magus Civitas, but would compromise Adiron's fundamental stance on human rights and surrender its national honor. There also remain grave concerns over trading with a nation that remains hostile to the Republic, particularly one which maintains a major military presence on our eastern border."

"Given that your government has so far acted as the chief arbitrator of the peace agreement, how does it plan on addressing these concerns, and how does your government respond to the charges made by the protest movement?" he asked.

Ambassador Ramoth said, "Thank you, Mr. Olsen. Pray observe, if you will, our record. How we have abided in peace in Peregrino in Dengali, in Ashab, with Jedoria, at every hand we show mercy where it is required, and show a love of peace wher requried. It is our nation's wish to have peace between Arbites and Adiron. We wish to trade with both nations and deal with both nations. Arbites is our ally, but Adiron has ben a good neighbor in every respect, however much our cultures differ, we intend to honour that. If one thing is known in this region it is this: King Elijah IV and Queen Mara the I are people of their word." There was a rumble and mutter of approval from the Edomties there.

Valerie Ko sat and watched the conference unfold, taking notes apparently by typing on a tablet. She was tapping away at more than just notes, as she was also exchanging discreet messages with Maria Withers who was sitting in another section. Eventually Ko calmly stood and fielded a question to Ramoth. "Ambassador, New Edom was recently the subject of a human rights report by Esperance International, which is publicly available and I won't go into at this time. My main question relates to your government's response to that report, which categorically stated that it would not accept any recommendations which advocated a feminist approach to women's issues."

"What exactly does that mean? If New Edom has rejected Esperance International's recommendations, what is being done to address the relevant women's rights issues instead?"

Ramoth looked at her with a slight frown and nodded to Camon, who leaned in and whispered briefly, and Ramoth said, "Miss Ko, I will make sure my officials obtain the exact wording of our documentation with Esperance International with you. However I will sum it up now. Essentially we are very concerned with women's rights, but not in a feminist context. We see feminism as a concept used by communist totalitarian and matriarchal totalitarian states to bring down our government and our nation, and will not tolerate it. Women's rights are another matter, and we are carefuly considering the advancement of them through the Morality Act. The Morality Act makes ample provision for this examination, and Esperance International is cooperating with that vision for our country. I would like to point out that in the last fifty years New Edomite government, military, business and education have increasingly invited women to participate in organizations provided that they can qualify according to existing standards."

Maria Withers waited with her arms folded and legs crossed for the answer to Ko's question before standing and staring Hesperinius down. "General, the Haggith Affair revealed a number of disturbing implications regarding gender politics in the Edomite military culture. No regulations or training appeared to exist regarding sexual harassment; the three defendants were sentenced on fraternization charges. Even officers called as witnesses did not recognize that Lieutenant Haggith's treatment by her superiors constituted harassment."

"My question, then, is simply what reforms on harassment policy have been carried out in the Edomite military since the Haggith Affair two years ago?"

Hesperinus smiled. "And what, dear lady, sort of training would that be? The Haggith Affair, as you call it, was a case involving a junior officer who was subjected to repeated dishonourable behaviour by superior officers, which is satisfactorily dealt with according to our military code of justice according to the review of our Jduge Advocate General at the time. Or would you have preferred some more grisly end for the officers who behaved inappropriately? I assure you a sentence in a penal battalion is hardly a walk in the park."
Last edited by New Edom on Sat May 28, 2016 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat May 28, 2016 11:33 pm

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

Akadin stood stony-eyed in the face of Esarhaddon's intelligence, which other members of the audience watched with interest, a few glances shooting back at Akadin. When he was allowed to speak again he nearly scoffed at Mok Turonin's name. "Turonin? This was your culprit? The man was a fanatic and a criminal in parts of the nation. He disregarded his own elders, seeking blind vengeance on all foreigners for the crimes committed against his ancestors. He declared he would not relent until he was killed in battle, which has now come to pass. If all Arvo were like him, we would have been reduced to ash decades ago. So, after Turonin and his entire warband was killed, you then decided to wipe out the entire nearest village as well, just for good measure?"

"This demonstrates why military aircraft are attacked by the villages' defenders. Every time military aircraft have appeared in our skies without warning, they are either carrying out an attack or an attack has followed. You would not accept this in New Edom, why should we? Especially considering you kidnap our women and children to convert them instead of returning them to other Arvo lands. It is New Ceti's Relocation Act all over again." The crowd once again stirred at the invocation of a notorious native removal policy which was a significant cause of the 1930s South Cetan Famine.

At the end of Akadin and Esarhaddon's exchange, Chief Roika rose a bit creakily to field a question to both Esarhaddon and Ramoth. The Folau Detra put a hand on Roika's arm briefly, but the Garda shrugged it off as he spoke. "Admiral, or Ambassador, I am Roika of the Garda. The Union of South Ceti has waged a campaign of military conquest against my people, which would complete the Imperial invasion of thirty years ago during the Civil War. Your government is providing assistance to the Union in the form of military aid, and you are allied to the nation which currently occupies the large majority of ancestral Garda lands in the Natapoc Basin. You earlier said New Edom would destroy the Arvo. Can you give any reason why the many tribal peoples of South Ceti should not fear New Edom's presence in the Ura?"

Rutherford whispered maybe two words to her aide and then turned back to Ahitophel. "Although the dirigible idea is an interesting one and I'm glad you have considered alternatives, perhaps I didn't hear you correctly, your Excellency. You said change is inevitable?" she asked. Once he confirmed it, she continued. "You spoke about the purported economic benefits of the project, but these peoples have been living and surviving in northern Ghant for hundreds of years. They have their own cultural heritage, their own accumulated knowledge and traditions which could be lost to future generations if modern society makes inroads. Can you address that?"

Once Rutherford indicated she was satisfied with Ahitophel's response, Joshua Lundsford spoke next, still polishing off his plate. "Mr. Ahitophel, the NPC's record has been criticized by environmental groups in the past. They fear that accidents and pollution which take place on NPC's watch will irreparably harm the otherwise pristine natural environment in Eskura. However, they're also aware that the project is taking place in Ghant, where a strong Green Party is part of the government and strong environmental regulations are in place. At what stage is your company currently at in the Ghantish environmental review process, and how is it going so far?"

Olsen took notes and pressed on despite catching a somewhat cold look from Holly. "That's encouraging, Ambassador. I have one further question related to the peace process. If Adiron were to propose additional terms on the Imperium, would New Edom work to uphold them in the interests of a more lasting peace? Suppose, for example, we use one of the protestors' demands: that restoring trade be made contingent on significant human rights reforms by the Curia? What about mutual reductions of border forces, similar to the Edomite-Jedorian border earlier this year?"

Ko took notes as Ramoth spoke, and when he was done she spoke again. "Ambassador, a follow up, if I may. Your government has pursued detente with Deadora and is currently allied with the Shrailleen Empire. Your three nations even founded one of the region's most successful economic organizations. Obviously there have been terrorist threats from communists such as the Anarchists and Damocleans, and Homofront is an extremist group which has threatened Adiron as well, but is feminism truly still the thin end of the wedge?"

Withers remained visibly unamused throughout Hesperinius' reply. "I have no doubt that New Edom is capable of handing out gruesome punishments. However, my question was about policy, not the fates of the accused. Does this mean, General, that there have been no significant changes in harassment policy in the past two years?"

Paulsen was satisfied with Ramoth's answer and thanked him for his time. However, he realized he needed to defuse the situation a bit further. The Edomites may have noticed him look over in the direction of the SCTF delegation, with Chief Detra of the Folau returning the look dispassionately.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun May 29, 2016 5:39 pm

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

Akadin stood stony-eyed in the face of Esarhaddon's intelligence, which other members of the audience watched with interest, a few glances shooting back at Akadin. When he was allowed to speak again he nearly scoffed at Mok Turonin's name. "Turonin? This was your culprit? The man was a fanatic and a criminal in parts of the nation. He disregarded his own elders, seeking blind vengeance on all foreigners for the crimes committed against his ancestors. He declared he would not relent until he was killed in battle, which has now come to pass. If all Arvo were like him, we would have been reduced to ash decades ago. So, after Turonin and his entire warband was killed, you then decided to wipe out the entire nearest village as well, just for good measure?"

"This demonstrates why military aircraft are attacked by the villages' defenders. Every time military aircraft have appeared in our skies without warning, they are either carrying out an attack or an attack has followed. You would not accept this in New Edom, why should we? Especially considering you kidnap our women and children to convert them instead of returning them to other Arvo lands. It is New Ceti's Relocation Act all over again." The crowd once again stirred at the invocation of a notorious native removal policy which was a significant cause of the 1930s South Cetan Famine.

Admiral Esarhaddon said gravely, "Indeed we would not. We do not expect it of you either. We are at war. When our forces arrived, Arvo warriors had stormed Stone Harbor, where they began to kill every man they found opposing them, carrying the women off to sexual servitude where they would be repeatedly raped into submission before either remaiing as forced concubines or else sold to drug lords or pirates. The same fate awaited the prisoners of the Persephone. It is clear by this that your people are enemies of our allies, the Unio of South Ceti, and also of our situational allies in the Ura Sea, the Republic of Adiron, and therefore we will continue to make war upon your people until you surrender. The Allied States of New Edom always offers honourable terms for dealing with nations that have acted against us when they do. Think hard on this: if you want your women and children back, surrender. You will have them."

At the end of Akadin and Esarhaddon's exchange, Chief Roika rose a bit creakily to field a question to both Esarhaddon and Ramoth. The Folau Detra put a hand on Roika's arm briefly, but the Garda shrugged it off as he spoke. "Admiral, or Ambassador, I am Roika of the Garda. The Union of South Ceti has waged a campaign of military conquest against my people, which would complete the Imperial invasion of thirty years ago during the Civil War. Your government is providing assistance to the Union in the form of military aid, and you are allied to the nation which currently occupies the large majority of ancestral Garda lands in the Natapoc Basin. You earlier said New Edom would destroy the Arvo. Can you give any reason why the many tribal peoples of South Ceti should not fear New Edom's presence in the Ura?"

"Indeed, there are contentions. However we may be a hard folk but we are also fair and honourable. If you are fair with us, we will be fair to you. I urge all the tribes in our area of authority, which we consider for the time being to be the Ura Sea and the Diols, to make treaties with us, and you wil be treated honourably. We will offer the record of all such dealings to you and confirmation. King Elijah IV and Queen Mara I are people of their word, would rather die than break it. it is not given easily, but when given, unbreakable. Our covenant would be written in the blood of this honour, so do I swear, I Daniel Esarhaddon, Admiral, by the bull slain by the King's blade."

Rutherford whispered maybe two words to her aide and then turned back to Ahitophel. "Although the dirigible idea is an interesting one and I'm glad you have considered alternatives, perhaps I didn't hear you correctly, your Excellency. You said change is inevitable?" she asked. Once he confirmed it, she continued. "You spoke about the purported economic benefits of the project, but these peoples have been living and surviving in northern Ghant for hundreds of years. They have their own cultural heritage, their own accumulated knowledge and traditions which could be lost to future generations if modern society makes inroads. Can you address that?"

Caleb Ahitophel smiled in a friendly cheerful way. He patted his big tummy with something like affection. "Oh that's not up to us, my dear lady, that is up to the Ghantish authorities in the aera, with whom we are in a good relationship. Why only recently King Inigo was down to Ghish for a lovely party where at the invitation of our Princess Ava, who is betrothed to Prince Alexander of House Gentry, they danced and sang and made merry the whole night. King Inigo was very satisfied with the promises made to him by Count Lalery, and he is well known to be a strong advocate of the Old Ways, as they call them, and is a great champion of his people. it will be up to him to be their advocate along with other local leaders, and we will work closely with them. We would not have it any other way."

Once Rutherford indicated she was satisfied with Ahitophel's response, Joshua Lundsford spoke next, still polishing off his plate. "Mr. Ahitophel, the NPC's record has been criticized by environmental groups in the past. They fear that accidents and pollution which take place on NPC's watch will irreparably harm the otherwise pristine natural environment in Eskura. However, they're also aware that the project is taking place in Ghant, where a strong Green Party is part of the government and strong environmental regulations are in place. At what stage is your company currently at in the Ghantish environmental review process, and how is it going so far?"

Caleb Ahitophel said, "Oh we have the go ahead from the government. It's going very well. A whole fleet of trucks have gone up to Eskura to begin the good work." he raised a broad hand and spread his fingers. "The black gold will flow; the cities will be filled with lights."

Olsen took notes and pressed on despite catching a somewhat cold look from Holly. "That's encouraging, Ambassador. I have one further question related to the peace process. If Adiron were to propose additional terms on the Imperium, would New Edom work to uphold them in the interests of a more lasting peace? Suppose, for example, we use one of the protestors' demands: that restoring trade be made contingent on significant human rights reforms by the Curia? What about mutual reductions of border forces, similar to the Edomite-Jedorian border earlier this year?"

"Human rights are not our concern at this juncture, Mr. Olsen. That is a matter for the OCS or the CPO or various NGOs. No. Our duty is to make sure that mediation takes place, and by God's grace we shall do so. If a reduction of forces is the best way, we shall make sure of that. The CPO thus far has been laggard, and there may be reasons for that which are acceptable." His expression showed his contempt for that notion. "I am authorized to say that if need be Dr. Aphek, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, wil lead a mission to Arbites to help act as a go between for a lasting peace. Only a deliberate act of war by your country against Arbites would end our devotion to the cause of peace."

Ko took notes as Ramoth spoke, and when he was done she spoke again. "Ambassador, a follow up, if I may. Your government has pursued detente with Deadora and is currently allied with the Shrailleen Empire. Your three nations even founded one of the region's most successful economic organizations. Obviously there have been terrorist threats from communists such as the Anarchists and Damocleans, and Homofront is an extremist group which has threatened Adiron as well, but is feminism truly still the thin end of the wedge?"

"Deadora, Miss Ko, is held back by its agreements with our country. But our peace with Deadora is an uneasy one. there are still tense patrols acros our borders on Magna Lacuna and northeastern Haran; we still have a division of Dengali to deal with. Men in Deadora are treated like chattel. They are inherently hostile to Christianity. And Gloria Regis has broken their treaties with us and is a platform for anti-Christian dictatorial nations which support feminism. Yes." his dark eyes bored into hers. "It is a hostile ideology which we deal with honourably but do not trust."

Withers remained visibly unamused throughout Hesperinius' reply. "I have no doubt that New Edom is capable of handing out gruesome punishments. However, my question was about policy, not the fates of the accused. Does this mean, General, that there have been no significant changes in harassment policy in the past two years?"

Hesperinus said calmly, "Of course not."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon May 30, 2016 12:48 pm

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

Esarhaddon's seeming willingness to keep the civilians as hostages and his referring to the Ura Sea and the Diols as areas under "Edomite authority." sent a ripple through the crowd. A number of those present shook their heads disapprovingly, and Mok Akadin concluded the exchange with a rather stark declaration. "We will never surrender if it means giving up our honor and our way of life. Surrendering to you would mean the loss of our nation and subjugation of our people to your King. If you will wage war to punish all Arvo for the actions of a few, then all Arvo will wage war upon you in turn."

However, Chief Detra of the Folau pulled Roika down after his exchange and then was seen to say a few words to both of his companions, his interpreter translating for him. When Detra rose to speak, the interpreter stayed seated. Apparently the Folau leader only needed his interpreter to translate with the other tribal leaders, as he spoke fluent English. "Admiral, I believe you when you say you have a difficult task. We and the Confederates have battled piracy for many months now. In this we hope you succeed in your mission."

He then motioned to Akadin. "My colleagues' people are strongly concerned that their cultures will be destroyed by New Edom in retaliation for the actions of a few radicals. If as you say treaties would be respected then compromise should be possible. However, you must understand that the peoples of South Ceti will be wary, as Outlanders have made treaties with us before and broken nearly all of them. In this current matter, is a middle ground possible between total surrender and a war of annihilation? Could we begin by establishing communications between your forces and local communities? Perhaps it could be arranged for the civilians to be returned to more peaceful Arvo lands? If not, would it at least be possible for our organization to send observers to these camps to ensure humane and equitable treatment of the captives?"

Paulsen intervened alongside Detra, who glanced over in his direction before sitting. "South Ceti is not the only area where New Edom has had lasting contact with indigenous peoples. Ambassador, perhaps you could explain how your government has managed relations with the Elwe despite the clear cultural differences and admittedly lingering tensions?"

Lundsford was a bit confused by Ahitophel's announcement that boots were already being put to the ground. Rutherford was similarly seen mumbling to her aide. "That's...surprising, Your Excellency," Josh said. "When were the environmental impact surveys completed? They haven't been made public by the Ghantish EPA. Were there hearings?"

Ko calmly listened to Ramoth's talk about Deadora. She looked as though she had heard it many times before. "Ambassador, gender politics in Deadora are not representative of Western feminism but rather reflect Nadirii tribal culture and its totalitarian government. Feminism is about equality. Thrallism very clearly isn't. Does your government truly believe Adiran feminists want to turn our country, or yours, into Deadora?"

To Hesperinius Withers was straightforward. "So to clarify, you're saying there have been reforms? What were they?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue May 31, 2016 12:56 am

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

Esarhaddon's seeming willingness to keep the civilians as hostages and his referring to the Ura Sea and the Diols as areas under "Edomite authority." sent a ripple through the crowd. A number of those present shook their heads disapprovingly, and Mok Akadin concluded the exchange with a rather stark declaration. "We will never surrender if it means giving up our honor and our way of life. Surrendering to you would mean the loss of our nation and subjugation of our people to your King. If you will wage war to punish all Arvo for the actions of a few, then all Arvo will wage war upon you in turn."

The New Edomites stiffened a bit, and Esarhaddon's eyes narrowed. "We do not seek this, but we will not hesitate to finish it."

However, Chief Detra of the Folau pulled Roika down after his exchange and then was seen to say a few words to both of his companions, his interpreter translating for him. When Detra rose to speak, the interpreter stayed seated. Apparently the Folau leader only needed his interpreter to translate with the other tribal leaders, as he spoke fluent English. "Admiral, I believe you when you say you have a difficult task. We and the Confederates have battled piracy for many months now. In this we hope you succeed in your mission."

He then motioned to Akadin. "My colleagues' people are strongly concerned that their cultures will be destroyed by New Edom in retaliation for the actions of a few radicals. If as you say treaties would be respected then compromise should be possible. However, you must understand that the peoples of South Ceti will be wary, as Outlanders have made treaties with us before and broken nearly all of them. In this current matter, is a middle ground possible between total surrender and a war of annihilation? Could we begin by establishing communications between your forces and local communities? Perhaps it could be arranged for the civilians to be returned to more peaceful Arvo lands? If not, would it at least be possible for our organization to send observers to these camps to ensure humane and equitable treatment of the captives?"

Ramoth spoke up. "Yes. When we say surrender we do not mean unconditional surrender. What we mean is cease the attacks on the Union and the Confederation and civilian shipping in the area, do not provoke attacks, and we can discuss fair territorial boundaries and agreements on sovereign territory. We do not wish to conquer the Arvo Nation unless we have no other choice."

Paulsen intervened alongside Detra, who glanced over in his direction before sitting. "South Ceti is not the only area where New Edom has had lasting contact with indigenous peoples. Ambassador, perhaps you could explain how your government has managed relations with the Elwe despite the clear cultural differences and admittedly lingering tensions?"

"We had generations of war against the Elwe, and after they were conquered by Queen Adah and her successors, they continued to rebel and struggle for their independence. However after the 3rd Elwe Uprising, foreign NGOs were invited in to help mediate and there has been a general agreement which improved Elwe rights and provided for indigenous domestic government with national oversight. Thus far it has worked well. The Elwe have presentatives in our national legislature."

Lundsford was a bit confused by Ahitophel's announcement that boots were already being put to the ground. Rutherford was similarly seen mumbling to her aide. "That's...surprising, Your Excellency," Josh said. "When were the environmental impact surveys completed? They haven't been made public by the Ghantish EPA. Were there hearings?"

"Well, the Ghantish government said that they would take the responsibility. Our own assessment said that as far as we concerned, we are satisfied that we will have a project that reduces environmental impact.

"We employed a Callabanese firm called Impact Reduction International, which is a nonprofit organization, Impact Reduction International analyzes the potential environmental and social impacts of large development projects in less industrialized countries. This organization has no commercial interest in any of the best practices technologies discussed in this paper. Thus, the authors declared no competing interests because they did not feel that his affiliation might be perceived as interfering with the full and objective presentation of the research.

"In addition, a review of environmental impact studies and post-project reports reveals that best practice would result in reduced forest loss during the exploration seismic phase. Generally we find that the reduction of road and rail use by preferencde for dirigible transport will have a hugely beneficial effect. We will be suing the best means available through bidding of contracts for waste management companies that will help remove waste rather than have it pollute water tables."

Ko calmly listened to Ramoth's talk about Deadora. She looked as though she had heard it many times before. "Ambassador, gender politics in Deadora are not representative of Western feminism but rather reflect Nadirii tribal culture and its totalitarian government. Feminism is about equality. Thrallism very clearly isn't. Does your government truly believe Adiran feminists want to turn our country, or yours, into Deadora?"

Ramoth said, "The New Edomite government supports women advancing through merit. A best example of this is the armed forces. In the armed forces, women can challenge existing standards that formerly held women back and if they excel, will rise in rank and prove themselves worthy. This is true in other areas of enterprise. Feminism, with its doctrines which atack the virtue of family and patriotism, is unacceptable. Our government is working with Esperance International to help make sure there is transparency about this government policy."

To Hesperinius Withers was straightforward. "So to clarify, you're saying there have been reforms? What were they?"

"We have not made any. There is no need. Government policy agreed with the findings in the Haggith case because the actions taken by senior officers against a junior officer were held to be ungentlemanly and not in the best interests of the service."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue May 31, 2016 11:13 pm

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

Detra thanked Ramoth for his explanation. Before he had even sat down Akadin was speaking rather harshly to Roika, with his interpreter translating. Detra looked like he was trying to defuse the conversation as he joined in with their whispers.

Lundsford coughed a bit, having scribbled down a series of notes. "So, Your Excellency, under Adiran environmental law, applications and related materials are made publicly available. Since Thorco is an Adiran company, the studies will be made available for viewing online prior to the start of any real construction, correct?"

Rutherford rose once more after that. "If I could just clarify, Mr. Ahitophel, has the Ghantish EPA given you expressed permission to begin construction right away?"

"Feminism also supports women advancing on their own merits, Ambassador," Ko explained calmly. "Does your government acknowledge that there is a difference between advocating for matriarchy and working to end entrenched prejudices against otherwise capable women?"

Withers narrowed her eyes at Hesperinius as he spoke. "So after the Haggith Affair your government determined that there are no problems with women in the military? I would remind you that the accused maintained that they had done nothing inappropriate or even unusual despite having made sexual advances towards Lieutenant Haggith and retaliated when they were rejected. Have there been any inquiries into the scope of this problem? If not, how can anyone claim with any certainty that the issue is limited to a few bad apples, especially if a culture exists which discourages reporting harassment?"

Chris Olsen decided to field another one to Ramoth. "Ambassador, your government recently passed significant labor reforms. Given that Adiron and New Edom are significant trading partners, how does your government anticipate the reforms will affect our bilateral trade?"

Once Ramoth answered that, he added a follow-up. "What does your government think about the assessments made by a number of economists that the combination of Edomite labor reform and the end of the embargoes could drive Adiran companies to offshore to the Imperium en masse?" Holly didn't seem to think much of the first question, but when Chris was sitting back down she was staring at him with a sort of neutral expression.

Paulsen was next, his game by now clear to those who weren't on his side. "Ambassador, as you can see there are a great deal of questions being asked by Adirans across the political spectrum. However, the state visit by King Elijah and if possible Queen Mara is scheduled. Given the importance of these many issues to the Adiran people, would His Majesty or Her Majesty be willing to discuss them in the course of the official meetings?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue May 31, 2016 11:48 pm

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

Lundsford coughed a bit, having scribbled down a series of notes. "So, Your Excellency, under Adiran environmental law, applications and related materials are made publicly available. Since Thorco is an Adiran company, the studies will be made available for viewing online prior to the start of any real construction, correct?"

Ahitophel raised his eyebrows. This had never come up in any of the meetings. He would later have his secretary send a somewhat polite but by Baran standards query to Jessica McKay wondering why this had not come up in their discussions. "Well, I'm afraid that you will have to ask Thorco that, Mr. Lundsford. It would be most inappropriate for me to speak on their behalf."

Rutherford rose once more after that. "If I could just clarify, Mr. Ahitophel, has the Ghantish EPA given you expressed permission to begin construction right away?"

"Oh, did we need that?" said Ahitophel. "Well, you know what they say: it's better to ask forgiveness than beg permission."

"Feminism also supports women advancing on their own merits, Ambassador," Ko explained calmly. "Does your government acknowledge that there is a difference between advocating for matriarchy and working to end entrenched prejudices against otherwise capable women?"

Ramoth said to Ko, "Miss Ko, are you saying you would feel more comfortable with our government policy if there was a label on it? Or do you have some specific concern you wish to address? I am not a philosopher or a sociologist."

Withers narrowed her eyes at Hesperinius as he spoke. "So after the Haggith Affair your government determined that there are no problems with women in the military? I would remind you that the accused maintained that they had done nothing inappropriate or even unusual despite having made sexual advances towards Lieutenant Haggith and retaliated when they were rejected. Have there been any inquiries into the scope of this problem? If not, how can anyone claim with any certainty that the issue is limited to a few bad apples, especially if a culture exists which discourages reporting harassment?"

General Hesperinus replied calmly, "The Judge-Advocate-General is an officer of excellent experience, superb training, comes from a good family, is considered a wise man, and is of sound character. He has inherited a system and a position which is devoted towards a uniform code of justice. Above all things though--our first priority must be that this code of justice is uniform. I am sure you will agree that what is most important in a soldier's life is consistency, fairness, and purpose in authority. Now it may seem to you that Lieutenant Haggith was an innocent and that the mere fact that her harassment ook place was shocking. I do not agree. Whether lieutenant Haggith did anything or not is neither here nor there. What you feminists fail to understand is that a woman should, by a real code of justice, be able to be judged a whore and yet be treated justly. What justice is there in only those who are innocent being treated well? None at all." He looked at her pointedly. "A woman who indiscreetly flaunts her body to be seductive is a woman who is a seductress. But in my opinion, far worse is a woman who does so out of ignorance, like a foolish youthful girl who dresses in fancy jewelry and expensive silks merely imitating out of childlike misunderstanding what she has seen a grown woman do. All men around her see is what she displays. She therefore lies to herself as well as to men, and is a fool.

"Haggith was reprimanded but given no punishment. The men were sent to a penal battalion. Yet your concern is only for her. I find that truly remarkable. Lieutenant Haggith however performed very well in action just a few months ago, leading a convoy of supplies to a forward operations base in spite of great risk to her own life. She's grown up, proven to be a useful officer in Their Majesties' service. That should be the principle thing that matters.

"I care not a fig whose rump was touched, Miss. What I care about is that my young officers shold be trained to carry out their duties to the best of their ability under the most trying circumstances. Major Bishan and the others failed in their part of their duty in such a way that it contributed to a loss of esprit de corps and a loss of morale in a transport battalion vital to the interests of the service. Lieutenant Haggith on the other hand proved to wilt under pressure, and her fitnes for duty was in question. She went beyond that," he said, eyes gleaming. "She had the courage after all in spite of a harsh hazing to carry out her duties. Do you honestly think that if someone cannot put up with a pat on the buttocks that they'll be able to face having orders shouted at them in the field or having to deal with the enemy and the stress of action, making decisions under the most trying circumstances as an officer must? No!" his voice raised like a trumpet a moment. "No. our regimental system trains good officers. And some of those are women I have been proud to serve with. If you want to see what the Edomite Army is made of, young lady, show you are equal to any man. Followin the footsteps of people like Miss LeMay and Mr. Olsen over there. They are respected among us. Come with us where the Griffon feathers grow on ground soaked in the blood of our enemies...and I will respect your questions then."

Chris Olsen decided to field another one to Ramoth. "Ambassador, your government recently passed significant labor reforms. Given that Adiron and New Edom are significant trading partners, how does your government anticipate the reforms will affect our bilateral trade?"

Ramoth said gravely, "There must be a balance, Mr. olsen. I do not have an easy set of answers but one thing we can assure you of, we hope that your people will be able to adapt well, and we will work with your leadership to achieve that. That is one of the foremost questions in the minds of our Council of Ministers as the summit meeting is prepared for: how will all parties be satisfied with the peace in economic terms?"

Once Ramoth answered that, he added a follow-up. "What does your government think about the assessments made by a number of economists that the combination of Edomite labor reform and the end of the embargoes could drive Adiran companies to offshore to the Imperium en masse?" Holly didn't seem to think much of the first question, but when Chris was sitting back down she was staring at him with a sort of neutral expression.

"I am wary of speaking on behalf of your government, so I can only speak on behalf of my own," remplied Ramoth. "Our government has worked with business and industry to make sure of the following things:
First: that New Edomite citizens can with some work and devotion feed themselves without being dependent entirely on a wage to do so.
Second; that modern communication systems and transport remain cheap, readily available and efficient
Third: that our support of capitalism makes certain that small business opportuniites are encouraed to flourish.
Fourth: that certain natural resources and industries remain protected by the government.
We recommend similar policies."

Paulsen was next, his game by now clear to those who weren't on his side. "Ambassador, as you can see there are a great deal of questions being asked by Adirans across the political spectrum. However, the state visit by King Elijah and if possible Queen Mara is scheduled. Given the importance of these many issues to the Adiran people, would His Majesty or Her Majesty be willing to discuss them in the course of the official meetings?"

"Yes, the King and Queen intend to discuss these issues in person if the Queen is able to travel, otherwise the king wil do so and the Queen will do her best to communicate from New Edom proper," replied Ramoth.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:45 am

New Edomite Embassy
New Laconia, Adiron

A number of the Green activists looked shocked, but others went to their phones and notepads, furiously scribbling or tapping away. If the Ghantish Greens didn't know about this already, they would now. Lundsford and Rutherford both thanked Ahitophel politely and took their seats once more. By now Lundsford had just finished polishing off his plate.

Ko shook her head in reply to Ramoth's comment about labels. "In that case, I simply wish to know if your government would be open to the inquiry my organization recently called for. After all, Esperance International recently conducted its own." After he replied, she concluded "I have nothing further, Ambassador, thank you."

The crowd seemed quick to jot down notes as Hesperinius replied. Some of the activists seemed outraged by his comments on women. Others, including some of the Adiran officers, appeared to grasp what he said about fairness in justice and the expectations of duty. The press for the most part was just hoping to get everything down. Holly was whispering to Chris when the Edomite general mentioned them by name. He looked up, briefly making eye contact, while she seemed a bit more like a deer caught in the headlights. Others in the crowd looked over towards them, including a rather resentful Maria Withers. When Hesperinius finished, she smiled thinly and said "Thank you for that...fascinating insight, General."

"While I think the Adiran people would be very pleased to see the Queen here in the capital and I think many in government look forward to meeting her, we understand that Her Majesty's health and wellbeing must of course take priority, especially while she is expecting," Paulsen said. "In any event, His Majesty the King will be here. I believe the planners are still working out the exact details. Do you know, Ambassador, if the Royal Family has agreed to hold a press conference similar to this one?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:15 am

The New Edomite Embassy

After the conference was over, the embassy officials divided into two groups. Mr. Pagiel Camon circulated the room and made pleasantries along with Caleb Ahitophel and the junior officers as the last of the buffet was devoured and the drinks drunk, and politelyu lingered to help usher people out without making it seem too rushed. That would have been unthinkably trude.

The Ambassador stood near the exit to the ballroom and bowed or shook hands as people departed, saying "Thank you veru much for attending, it was very pleasurable to have your company. However he resisted any attempt to speak more personally neatly by asking for their card or to have name and number written down by some means, as attentive junior officials were present to make sure that this happened.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Jun 02, 2016 5:16 pm

Cicero
New Laconia, Adiron

Tom Alvarado was bunkered down as the first scandal of his political career got underway. He had given rise to the line that the government was literally in bed with the Edomites. The latest political cartoon featured caricatures of him sleeping with Mara side by side with a picture of Deol in bed with Elijah. Gossip columnists wanted to know how she was, and speculated that Mara had become so religious out of guilt. More serious political commentators were a bigger threat, as they knew Tom had been one of the envoys to New Edom during the Palisades Crisis. After all, Tom himself had been quick to tout that as one of his achievements. By now even rivals within the SDP were questioning how objective he really was on New Edom.

To top it all off, Sarah was finally here in New Laconia. Before he could have just taken her out to dinner and spent time with her and no one would have been the wiser. Now that he was under the microscope, the press would actually go to the trouble to dig up who she was. They would quickly realize she was Edomite military just from the press conference. Furthermore, now Tom was going to have to explain to her that he had slept with the Queen of the Allied States. That would be an awkward conversation with any Edomite officer, much less his girlfriend.

Just as he was looking over some polls and skimming yet another article on the subject, Al entered his office. "Uh, Tom? The Whip wants to have a drink with you."

Tom froze and blinked. "A drink? Did he say anything else?"

"No. What does that mean?" Al asked.

"I have no idea," Tom replied. "He didn't say anything else? How did he sound?"

"No and...it was an email," Al said.

Making his way down to Cicero in a cab, Tom had visions of this being a consolation. Government was in enough hot water already, they might have to make an example. He managed to reach the back of the darkened bar with only one sidelong glance being thrown his way from a patron he didn't recognize. In one of the bar's secluded rooms he found Cullen sampling a Scotch on the rocks. One had been poured for Tom as well and had been placed across the table from him. Tom was reluctant to enjoy it, found his mouth going dry.

"Mr. Alvarado, have a seat," Cullen said calmly with a motion of his hand. Tom did so while Cullen took another sip of his drink. "Half Moon, '65. You have good taste for someone so young."

Tom had to wonder how Cullen had found out about his drink of choice. "Thank you, sir," was all he could manage, lapsing back into military jargon briefly.

"But taste and judgment are two different things," Cullen said rather sternly. "And it's your judgment that's at the heart of this matter. You know what I'm referring to."

"I do, sir," Tom said stiffly.

"However long ago it was, it has added to the government's New Edom problem. The President wants it dealt with," Cullen explained.

Tom swallowed. "How?"

"You look nervous. You haven't touched your drink yet, Mr. Alvarado," Cullen pointed out. Tom took a sort of mechanical sip before Cullen continued. "Some said it's a clear-cut case. Your little fling entered the public interest when you became a negotiator with New Edom. Now it's embarrassing the government and should be treated accordingly."

Tom winced. Cullen then continued "However, other factors were pointed out. At the time you hadn't entered public service and the Queen was still a princess expected to be married off," Cullen explained. "There's also the fact that you happened to pick one of the good Edomites. Received the 2016 Ismos Peace Prize. Renowned for charity work. Devoted to her people and country to the point of risking her life."

At that Cullen's long face broke into a slight smile, unusual for him. "You didn't know it at the time but you happened to sleep with the single most popular Edomite leader in Adiran history. I was encouraged to get the full story from you before acting. So, what happened between you two?"

Struggling to remember, Tom took another sip of his drink. "Well, we met in a bar at the World Assembly. Started off just joking around, dancing, drinking, talking. We had chemistry. It got more serious...more or less the way the media said." Cullen frowned and Tom quickly added "But it was more than a one night stand. We saw each other for a few months until she left the WA. "

"So there was actually a relationship?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.

"We knew it probably wouldn't last, what with her responsibilities. I stopped seeing her after she got engaged to that Nord prince. Then once their civil war resumed you know the rest. But we had a lot of fun together. She's free-spirited, compassionate, smart too, a lot smarter than people gave her credit for. She's an amazing woman, really."

"You still care for her," Cullen pointed out, steepling his fingers.

"A lot of people here were surprised when Mara stepped up. Not me," he replied. "I knew how much she cared about her people. I knew how much she loved her father. I wish I could have done something for her while she was hurting," he said sadly, before bitterly adding "Mad Queen...bunch of bullshit by that completely inexperienced stuck-up Heir."

Cullen listened, brow still furrowed. "If this is the truth, and if the Queen won't dispute it, then that's what you're going to say."

"What do you mean?"

"You'll come clean," Cullen said. "Explain your relationship as you just did, that it was more than base lust. Say that it's in the past and that you've both grown since then. Wrap the whole thing up by saying you have the utmost respect and admiration for the queen and wish her the best."

"But...publicly admitting it? What's that going to do to me?" Tom asked.

Cullen's expression hardened. "Mr. Alvarado, the party has many things it needs to deal with right now. You don't want to be one of them, not in an election year." He seemed to lighten up upon seeing Tom's reaction. " You've done well for yourself and served the government well so far. That's why I did not agree with those who simply wanted to throw you to the wolves. The party will support you as long as you support the party."

"I...all right," Tom said. "But how do we know this won't do even more damage to the government?"

Cullen took another sip and then exhaled deeply. "We could perhaps do a few polls, figure out which way the wind's blowing. However, the President would very much appreciate if this was handled right away."

"The President?" Tom asked dumbly, raising his eyebrows.

"He felt an immediate response would seem more sincere, less calculated. Hearing the full story from you, I'm inclined to agree. If you handle this well, then I'll make sure you have nothing to worry about with the party list," Cullen assured him.

Arbites
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Arbites » Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:40 pm

Chambers of the Curia
Magus Civitas

With the Curia still divided the senior Cardinals attempted to rein in their rogue junior members. The Council of Guardians was comprised of the ten most senior sitting Cardinals, and represented the power of the Old Guard. Although they were formally trained as clergy, most of the Council also served as Masters of the various Orders which comprised the Imperial government. This made them the equivalents of Cabinet Ministers in other nations. The Council as a whole also had the power to vet candidates for the Curia.

By now it was clear that certain things had been overlooked in the vetting process. Since the 1990s and especially since the conflict with Adiron began, the Council's main criteria for appointing new Cardinals had been loyalty and works of faith. The Curia must be incorruptible, or so the thinking went. However, the Council also firmly believed that the interests of the Curia and the Emperor were necessarily one and the same. The younger Cardinals were proving this false, having now emerged as being even more idealistic and zealous than their forebears. Cardinals Urban and Meyer had emerged as the leading figures of these so-called Puritans, who had come to believe the Imperium had compromised its underlying beliefs and principles to pursue worldly ambitions.

After the spectacle in the Curia Chambers itself over Engel, whose days of prayer had continued to Ebern's distress, the Council decided this needed to be dealt with more discreetly. Cardinals Urban, Meyer, and Crouch were invited to a meeting with Robertson, Dawes, and Long. Almost immediately Urban once more spoke against the peace, this time citing the domestic opposition in Adiron. "The heretics want to refuse our terms. They will be looking for a dodge, some trick which limits trade without an embargo."

"Our allies will not allow that to happen," Dawes replied.

"Can our allies control the Adiran masses?" Urban asked. "We've seen the news stories on that rabble in the streets. They're calling for boycotts on firms which do business with our manufacturers. You can be sure their government will do nothing to prevent that."

"The rabble you're referring to represents a far-left fringe," Robertson said. "The majority will take no action, not when they see prices on manufactured goods fall. Eventually the leftists will run out of energy and support."

"Unless our terms are rejected, in which case we will have squandered the strategic initiative and the lives of thousands of faithful soldiers for no material gain," Cardinal Crouch said bitterly.

"Then what would you have us do, Brothers?" Robertson replied impatiently.

"Simple, we make it clear that the peace terms be accepted in total or not at all," Urban said. "We must be assured that their desire for peace is genuine, which means those in the Adiran government who speak openly of rejecting our terms must be silenced. To those bands of miscreants on the streets, we speak simply: if their government gives into their demands, we shall have war once more."

"I am not convinced they will give into open threats," Dawes pointed out.

"Besides, this controversy is in fact a positive development," Robertson added. "You realize that this is coming from within DeGroot's party, right? This could be what shatters his coalition and brings down his government at last. It is in our interests to deepen this rift."

"Their greed will be their undoing in this," Cardinal Long pointed out. "They are self-serving at heart, with no underlying unity of purpose unless threatened directly. Those who wish to reap the benefits of trade shall turn on the socialists."

"And Mr. Saito will be more amenable to free trade," Robertson added.

"Yes, yes, the trade, the trade, always the trade," Crouch griped. "The trade whereby we put loyal Imperial subjects under the yoke of heretics and heathens."

"And which sustains our ability to carry out His will," Dawes amended.

"To carry out His will requires only faith," Meyer said, echoing something Robertson once told him.

"Had our crusaders of old neither shields nor swords? Do our armies march today without rifles nor provisions?" Long asked rhetorically.

The material arguments did not seem to convince the Puritans. Decisions regarding the peace had been delayed for too long. Ultimately the Old Guard had to develop a compromise in which some of the Puritans' desires were aired but first to their Edomite mediators instead of to the Adirans directly. Ambassador Lee conveyed a message to Foreign Minister Aphek's office, likely passing through Undersecretary Corbulo's hands first.

To: Office of Foreign Minister Paul Aphek
Subject: Gloria Regis
Encryption: Hand-delivered through diplomatic courier, eyes-only

Greetings, Foreign Minister, we hope you are enjoying this lovely Summer Solstice season. Your ministry's recent triumphs in Akai, Vozgarnor, and Ahara are to be congratulated, securing respect for New Edom's interests while broadening her influence abroad. Although the Adirans evidently lack the resolve for it, Admiral Esarhaddon's work in the Diols has been entirely necessary if South Ceti is ever to see peace again. I understand President Tolstoy has already commended him, and my government is determining what honors will be most appropriate as well. Similarly General Tauber has spoken nothing but praise of General Hesperinius' operations in the Palisades, despite the petty complaints from New Laconia.

Your government's role in brokering the peace cannot be understated, and the Curia remains grateful for New Edom's steadfast devotion to its honor and to rule of law in general. This brings me to the main purpose of this communication. A number of Cardinals have voiced concerns about recent events in Adiron. They believe the recent spate of unrest, backed by sitting members of the ruling coalition no less, indicates that Adiron may not be committed to the terms as offered. A number of activists and groups furthermore appear to not respect your government's position as mediator in this arrangement.

These same Cardinals further point out that we are submitting to an investigation imposed upon us by the Adirans, and have relinquished gains taken through great sacrifice and expense by the Order of His Sword. It would be intolerable for Adiron to offer nothing in return, as the rioters are demanding. If their government truly seeks peace, then they must dismiss and, ideally, discipline those who threaten the peace process.

As our trusted ally and the sole mediator of the current conflict, we hope that you will convey this to New Laconia in the manner in which your government deems most appropriate.

By His will,
Ambassador Lee
He who stands with me shall be my brother

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jun 04, 2016 2:57 pm

The New Edomite Embassy

Lieutenant Sarah Wendt yawned, as, jetlaged, she got sorted in her new position. She had not been able to get hold of Tom when she was reassigned, and then found herself without acess to communications due to flight information blackout in Delvian States. And so it was only after she had gotten to Adiron that she read about Tom alvarado in the news and blinked at it. How the hell did they know? She felt suddenly clammy sweat down her neck and wondered if the Ambassador knew as well. With a sinking heart, she realized she had to tell him--and before she contacted Tom again.

Everything in my career is going great...and my personal life is always shit she felt strongly. However it had been good to briefly see joanna Heep again before the Flight Operations Commander had to go back to the Palisades. It had been Heep who warned her about Tom. A certain someone you met during a tour of inspection back home has been named in the papers connected with two Edomite women-one famous, one not. Gues which one she was?

She picked up the phone. "Lieutenant-Colonel Wendt here. yes, how do you do, I'd like to see the Ambasador at the earliest opportunity, I think it's important that he receive a report from me. Thank you so very much."

Her office was nice. Rather clean, cold but efficient. She di not need luxuries. It was adjacent to the offices of the Cultural Attache, the Security Commander and the Communications Attache.

'Ah, yes, Wendt,' Colonel Uriah Banak, the Cultural Attache from the Ministry of Police said. 'Do sit down. We're just about to start.' And he indicated an empty chair next to a youngish brown-haired woman wearing a geometrically patterned mini-dress and knee-high boots. 'This is Lieutenant-Colonel Sarah Wendt, Military Attache, from the Intelligence Corps, so she's a braniac we're told, everyone. Was on General Romain's IX Corps staff till recently. You've been around, haven't you?"

Banak was a big man, going to seed like a once magnificent building. The rich Adiran food and sedentary life were probably getting to him. He had broad shoulders and a large impressive head, craggy face and big hands. he reminded her unpleasantly of General Barak, and the names were even similar.

"Vivian Alexander," said the young woman beside her. "Communications Attache. I mostly focus on..." she smiled. "Communications. Intergovernmental, everything not done by the Press Adviser. A lot of work obviously about the Visit." The Visit was what they wer calling the Summit. Up close she was not that young, perhaps in her mid thirties.

The Security Commander was Captain Thaddeus Rehoboam, from the Halberdier Guards, and was very polite and succinct. She noticed he kept stealing glances at Vivian Alexander. Wendt couldn't blame him, to an Edomite the clothes wer very provocative, as much as if she was wearing lingerie. However it was apparently normal in Adiron to show your body off in such ways--women bizarrely wore suit jackets and blouses and showed most of their legs, or wore cloth from head to toe but showed the shape of their buttocks or bosoms in a teasing way. it was as baffling as nudity was to non-Edomites, Wendt knew.

"An update on the requests of the Palace." Banak said. "Mr. Camon would like us to go over it carefully. First--coordination of security, particularly with regard to Homofront. We are to find out what the Adirans are doing about any Homofront cells or affiliate groups that could be lurking here. As we all know, Adiron is a very lax nation when it comes to LGBT extremism. Next: possible provocateurs from our allies. It is not inconceivable but we are to handle this very discreetly. Your office and mine, colonel, are to take point on this. Third, coordination of security of communications and movements..."

When later the meeing broke up she was informed that the Ambassador would see her.

God. She took a deep breath and went to the office and came in, removing her cap and bowing as he was bareheaded.

'Ah Wendt, very good," he said, glancing up at her. "You come well recommended. Both Generals Romain and Barak talk of your good service, even a recommenddation from Genral Nicanor. I have not had a chance to welcome you properly."

"Sir, perhaps before you do," she said seizing an opening, "I need to tell you something. I will fully understand if it is displeasing to you." she took a deep breath. "A few months ago...gosh nearly a year...I had an affair in New Edom. An Adiran. His name was Tom Alvarado, and he is a member of the Adiran national Assembly."

Ramoth looked at her with sharp gaze. "The man mentioned in the news who apparently slept with the Queen?"

"Yes sir," she said, feeling a hollowness in her stomach. She waited.

"Are you still having an affair with this man?" he said to her flatly.

She felt her face heat up. "We've been corresponding."

"Good God," he sighed. "At least he's not married or engaged. What is the matter with you, Wendt, are you wicked? Can you not control your loins? I realize you are a woman, but one would hope an officer of your experience..."

"I probably am, sir," she said bluntly, feeling she had nothing to lose. "I have however sacrificed my entire life for the Army, and I probably cannot mary. Divorce rates are ridiculously high for women in the service. We might as well be nuns, though we take no oath to do so. i am aware that it breaks the Morality Act. however I did it because I was lonely and attracted to him."

Ramoth pursed his lips. "I see. well you did the right thing in telling me. You young officers...if it's not gambling, fighting secret duels, shooting prisoners on the sly or fraternizing with common soldiers it's chasing whores..or whoring yourself. Well, you are to stop this relationship at once, is that clear?"

A shock went through it. "Stop it, sir? Am I not allowed to pursue personal relationships?" Wendt said, irritated at the squeak in her voice.

Ramoth tapped his pen on the table. "No, that's not fair is it? But you are to not sneak around. You are to openly date this man or not se him at all. I do not like the idea of my officers...getting into bed on the sly with people they are not married to. It is one thing for common soldiers...and I can tolerate my officers going to a brothel or mistress discreetly."

"Then isn't this the same?" Wendt asked.

Ramoth shook his head. "No. To be blunt, Wendt, it's different for a man. Not fair, but there it is. If men must bear the brunt of most combat roles, women must bear this: they can get pregnant. I've seen this before. The woman thinks the man loves her, and finds herself high and dry and with a growing belly because they didn't think. Now you take it from someone who has seen a lot in teh Army and in the diplomatic service too. Date this man openly or drop it. Is that clear?"

Wendt sucked in her breath. "Yes sir."

Ramoth then finally smiled. "I'm glad to see you have some feet of clay, however. Intelligence Corps, and a war record putting some of us to shame. Welcome to my operation, Colonel. Make an honest man of this Adiran and make the Armhy proud. Get to work on the Visit and coordingating with Imperium Intelligence."

"Sir!"

Wendt put on her cap and left, relieved. Ramoth had the reputation of being a fair man, if a hard one, and she had the odd feeling it might be the best command she had served under yet.

When she had a moment, she contacted Tom again and left him a message. "Hi Tom, it's me. I've been trying to get through to you but it's been one thing after another. I'd love to get together for a drink, because I'm in New Laconia. I have a new job and I woudl lo to tell you all about it..."

To: Ambassador Jacob Lee
Subject: Adiron
Encryption: Hand Delivered in Sealed Diplomatic Pouch

Dear Ambassador,

May our alliance continue to prosper and mutually bless both our nations. I hope you and your family are doing well. The Heir wishes me to convey her hopes that your wife in particular is happy and adjusting well, and would like to invite her to a small garden party for the wives and women of some of our allied embassies.

The events in Adiron are regrettable, and as King Elijah prepares to travel to Adiron to resolve the issue of the peace, we are also concerned for the security of the Visit. So we share the Curia's concerns indeed.

Please rest assured that I have forwarded these concerns to our ambassador, General Nathan Ramoth, and given him clear instructions to deal with the matter to the best of his ability. He has already begun holding a press conference and will no doubt follow up on the matter.

I have the honour to be
Dr. Paul Aphek
Minister of Foreign Affairs

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:23 pm

Bubbling Crude
Adiron and Ghant

The embassy press conference raised more questions than it answered to many of the protest groups, including the Greens. Thorco was pressed hard on its lack of transparency, with Green activists arguing it had jammed the project through and dodged the Adiran environmental review process. However, the company deflected it and assured NPC that it didn't apply to them. As far as Jessica McKay had been told, and as far as she had told her contacts at the NPC, there was no real legal basis to subject an entirely foreign project to the full extent of Adiran law simply because a number of services had been contracted to an Adiran company. Although Lundsford may have surprised Ahitophel with his query, Thorco through Jess assured him that their legal standing was so weak that Thorco hadn't even considered it a legitimate enough challenge to warn NPC about. To that effect Thorco released a public statement:

'Thorco has submitted its applications to relevant Adiran environmental regulators insofar as our company's specific role in the Eskura development is concerned. However, our legal consultants are in unanimous agreement that the fact that we have partnered with the New Edom National Petroleum Corporation, the principal leaseholder, does not give the DEC jurisdiction over an NPC operation on Ghantish soil. There is furthermore no legal basis for the claim by certain activists that the NPC's partnership with Thorco subjects it to Adiran transparency law. The responsibility of environmental review in Eskura is the sole purview of Ghantish regulatory agencies, which have been satisfied with the studies carried out by qualified experts employed by reputable international firms.'

This didn't stop Green activists from trying to pressure Adiran regulators, and they used Freedom of Information laws to acquire Thorco's applications. They were disappointed to find that Thorco's involvement was largely limited to services, including design, engineering, and maintenance. NPC and its affiliates would be the ones manufacturing the equipment, installing infrastructure, and handling the transport of oil.

What the embassy press conference and Thorco's statement did was put the Ghantish EPA in the spotlight. Sara Paquin, the outspoken Green MA, accused Nymun's government of trying to jam the project through under everyone's noses. "They were seeing dollar signs and they rubber stamped it. Now the Edomites say they're ready to start work any day. Ghantish Greens need to take a long hard look at what their government is doing and think about whether or not it really represents them."

The Ghantish Green groups were given support but didn't escape admonishment privately. Jasmine Bennet was a chief strategist for the Center for Biodiversity and had a blunt phone call with Bordari himself. "Look, I've got donors calling us up literally asking what the hell you're doing up there. They're asking how your government managed to shove this through the EPA, how it got through with no public hearings, and how it all went so fast. Frankly I don't have a good answer for them. What you and Rebo need to do is send this damned thing back to the EPA, this time with full public scrutiny, or they're gonna bull-rush us and before we know it the damage up there is already done. We've got people like Paquin in the Assembly over here trying to help, but this thing is on your soil, we can't stop it without you. Nymun needs the Greens; they gotta be willing to get tough with him on this."

Meanwhile, protest organizations tried doing outreach to activists in Ghant itself. They might have to stage protests at the project site itself. They were aware of the risks of trying to interfere in Northern Ghant with New Edom, but it wasn't meant to be a long-term strategy, just a delaying tactic until they could get the EPA to recall the project for further review. The most dedicated Adiran activists began contacting Ghantish Green protest groups and looking for transport up to Eskura. Urged to bring winter clothing and camping gear just in case, they would work to physically block access routes, often with their own bodies, to slow the construction enough for the Greens to pressure the EPA. That assumed they could get there in time...
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:09 am

Political Capital

As far as New Edom was concerned, concerns raised by the Esperance International report compounded the questions which arose from the embassy press conference. This triggered a new round of hand-wringing, speculation, and lengthy debate.

"Look, since the second phase of their civil war we've been helping prop the Edomite government up," Carmen Fletcher argued on Political Capital, taking a sip of tea. They had just finished a lengthy discussion on the Imperium. "Pahath-Moab opened the country up to foreign investment to rebuild, and Adiran firms answered the call. Isidium has sunk millions into its relief efforts over there. Why should we keep helping them if all they do in return is back the Imperium and resist all efforts to bring about reform in their country?

"That's quid pro quo, not humanitarianism," Kevin Koch pointed out.

"Altruism doesn't mean you have to abandon all expectations of the other party. If we sent aid to Arcologia and all of it was embezzled you'd reconsider, right?" Neil Zimmerman said.

"Well, yeah, if the aid was misappropriated," Koch said, rather dismissively. "It hasn't in New Edom. We know Isidium is running camps, food kitchens, clinics, and schools."

"You're missing the point: we don't give aid to nations where it doesn't do any good," Zimmerman replied, gesturing.

Fletcher continued. "We've been providing aid with the understanding that it reduces poverty and ignorance, which I would argue not only contributed to New Edom's internal turmoil, but also represent two of the biggest obstacles to alleviating New Edom's human rights problems."

"The Edomite government says it always deals fairly, what about with us? We're propping them up, what's in it for us?" Zimmerman half-interrupted, drawing a glance from Fletcher. "They apparently can't even discuss their relationship with the Imperium. They resist and evade attempts to improve human rights. And instead of focusing on internal improvements the government is expanding its military presence throughout the region, aggressively staking claims on foreign mineral rights, and demonstrating contempt for indigenous cultures who get in their way. So what good is it doing?"

"The peace settlement, that's what," Koch said bluntly. "We would be at war without them. Do you think we can just flip a switch? Meaningful reform takes time. It's not going to come all at once."

"I understand that, but the government seems to be actively fighting against the desired outcome," Fletcher said, managing to interject once more. "Let's use recent events as an example. When Homofront carried out a terrorist attack, the Edomite public is told by the media, clergy, and even some government officials that they should fear and revile all gays, justifying a crackdown. Ever since the Damocleans attacked, the Edomite public has been told to fear and revile all leftists, even the moderates who condemned the attacks. In the press conference their Ambassador said that even moderate feminists might as well be Deadorans. Meanwhile, you still have Edomite government figures who dismiss human rights concerns by claiming they're attacks on Edomite culture."

"That kind of rhetoric resonates with people who are impoverished, disengaged, fearful for their safety or livelihoods, and haven't been taught to think critically," she continued. "It's easier for a government to justify human rights abuses and war in those circumstances. Development aid will ideally combat that, which it has to a degree, but the government still seems intent on limiting the free exchange of ideas. It is a conservative government that is trying to maintain the status quo, even where the status quo is in the wrong."

"What about the elections? What about the labor reform that's supposedly going to help close down sweatshops and allow for unions?" Koch asked.

"Reforms have been made in some areas. That doesn't mean they can't work on others as well," Zimmerman said.

"All right, fine, what do you want us to do about it?" Koch said, changing tack. "The report's recommendations to the international community are, in my view, a bit light on real substance. In particular, it lacks a real plan of action since it fails to explain what it means by 'gentle diplomatic pressure,' which is its first recommendation for the international community."

"They're not diplomats, they're a non-profit," Zimmerman said. "They don't have access to confidential information at the State Department or other foreign ministries."

"So what do we do?" Koch pressed.

"In our case, I think we need to reexamine this visit by the King," Zimmerman explained. "For example, despite having a majority in their legislature recommending that the Morality Act be repealed, the monarchy refused. I think it's fair to say that the buck stops with them. If New Edom is resistant to human rights progress, ultimately it's the monarchy's responsibility. Is that who we want to come to our capital to direct foreign policy in Ceti?"

"You want to risk the peace negotiations for that?" Koch asked incredulously. "You can debate whether or not it's right to seek national unity on legislation, but you have to consider what's at stake here."

"The Ambassador gave his word that New Edom was committed to the process. We should take him at his word. If he breaks it over a snub, maybe they're not the right mediators for the job," Zimmerman replied. The debate shifted back to the Imperium after that.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Jun 08, 2016 4:28 pm

An Open Letter to the International Community

The Isidium Foundation would like to begin by commending the work done by Esperance International's New Edom Bureau, which we have long considered a partner working towards the same goal of improving the lives of the Edomite people. New Edom still faces many challenges which are greater than any single organization can handle on its own. Human rights, as outlined by Esperance's recent report, remains one of those challenges.

It is true, as confirmed by remarks by government officials, that New Edom has declared certain political parties illegal, banned their ideologies, and jailed their adherents. Foundation staff have even received anonymous corroborating reports that under the Pahath-Moab government or perhaps earlier, political prisoners have been subjected to psychological torture and degradation at Stonehaven Prison. LGBT individuals, while not subjected to as harsh conditions, are discriminated against by Edomite law and have been victims of mob violence prior to recent advances.

It is also true, as confirmed by remarks by government and military officials, that women's rights are limited. Abortion is illegal even in cases of rape or incest, contraception is unavailable to the vast majority of Edomite women, no formal legislation or regulations exist on workplace sexual harassment, comprehensive sexual education is unavailable throughout most of the country, and a combination of strong cultural pressures and a lack of family leave have historically had the effect of forcing women out of the workforce.

The Foundation does not dispute the above findings as reported by Esperance International. However, the Foundation has been operating in New Edom since shortly after General Pahath-Moab came to power. The Mission to Glasstower was planned and undertaken in the immediate aftermath of the second phase of the Edomite Civil War. Our operations expanded to include schools and clinics throughout the country. We continued through the outbreak of fighting last year, at which point we were called upon to expand our mission and establish another major refugee camp at Harbourtown. At each point, the Foundation carried out fact-finding studies to determine the issues facing the Edomite people in question. The Foundation therefore believes it is important to recognize the broader context in which some of the lingering issues raised by Esperance International are taking place.

On the subject of the Morality Act, the report appears to have some misconceptions on the structure of the Edomite government. The current Edomite constitution, drafted during the conclusion of the Civil War, is based primarily upon the Lazodirian constitutional monarchy. The Chamber of Deputies is not, strictly speaking, New Edom's legislative branch of government or at least does not comprise the entirety of that branch. Legally it is actually an advisory body to the monarchy and the Council of Ministers, both of which are expected to act on the Chamber's advice but still retain some independence.

While a ten percent plurality may seem a commanding majority even in this context, one must consider that Biblical law forms the underpinning for all Edomite civil and criminal law. Replacing this legal code entirely would be equivalent to amending or even rewriting an entire national constitution, which in many democratic nations requires that special conditions be fulfilled beyond a simple majority vote in the legislature, often based upon broad, bipartisan consensus. The monarchy has stated that such consensus has not been achieved; the Chamber remains sharply divided on this measure of national importance which would require a massive undertaking on the part of the Edomite government. Therefore the monarchy has asked that this consensus be established through revisions to the bill established through compromise and negotiation.

Similarly, the Pahath-Moab's policy of Gay Reeducation no doubt conjures images in Adiron of the Imperium's concentration camps, where LGBT individuals are subjected to psychological torture carried out by the Inquisition. However, when the Foundation raised its own concerns of the practice in New Edom, we discovered that context was critical to understanding the reasoning behind it. However misguided the science behind conversion therapy, the policy was intended as a legal means of combating extralegal persecution of LGBT individuals, which was common throughout New Edom as late as 2013.

This persecution at its most extreme took the form of mob justice, in which vigilantes lynched suspected homosexuals in accordance with Old Testament law. Those who weren't lynched were ostracized, facing discrimination in the workplace, housing, and virtually all other areas of life. This discrimination even extended to those who were merely suspected of having a different sexual orientation. Reeducation by contrast offered LGBT individuals a means of reintegrating into a society that is still very religious and would otherwise view them with suspicion or even outright hatred.

It is important to acknowledge additional areas of real progress which were not mentioned in the Esperance report. Having been in Harbourtown and Hillel during the fighting last year, the Foundation has had access to thousands of refugee accounts on the ground. These accounts indicate that the role of the monarchy in establishing a peace cannot be overstated. In his capacity as Regent, Elijah Shalmaneser's policies called for the honorable treatment of Theocratic Republic prisoners and supporters and explicitly forbade reprisals on the ETC and civilian populations. This made meaningful negotiations between the Monarchy and the Free Congress possible for the first time since the initial outbreak of the Civil War in the early 2010's, and is the reason the Theocratic Republic could accept Elijah as King. Queen Mara's personal involvement in Harbourtown demonstrated the monarchy's commitment to all Edomite people, and the talks she began in Hillel at considerable personal risk established both the peace and government which continue to this day.

Furthermore, whatever other issues occurred under General Pahath-Moab, it must be recognized that his government laid the groundwork for democracy in New Edom. Conducting a number of test elections at the local level, the Federal Elections Committee was able to identify issues New Edom was likely to face during elections at the national level and propose effective solutions to them which would later be implemented successfully by the current government. The fact that there was an existing plan in place was what made elections possible so quickly despite the turmoil of the civil war. It is also worth noting that King Elijah IV served as Chairman of the Committee at this time.

The Foundation recognizes that Esperance's recommendations are only that, and was not seeking to impose policy changes from the top down. Just as both the Isidium Foundation and Esperance International seek to hire and buy locally in our host countries, however, we believe that engagement rather than confrontation with governments like New Edom is key. If a government which has shown improvement in some areas still maintains policies which violate human rights, we must seek to understand the context under which those policies were enacted and develop viable alternatives. The current Edomite government is, as was stated in the Esperance report, likely to be responsive to concerns about human rights.

What the Foundation therefore proposes is the formation of a new Special Committee in the Cornellian Peace Organization dedicated to human rights. This body would have the power to conduct investigations and studies in member states in response to violations of human rights as outlined in various treaties or charters, including the New Prospect Convention, UDHR, or the various Cornellian humanitarian accords. If violations are found, the government in question should be made aware of the findings and given a chance to address them prior to the publishing of a report. If the resources required to address these issues are unavailable, then the Committee would have the means to petition development and relief organizations such as the Legion Foundation, Esperance International, and the Foundation to procure the necessary resources. If a good faith effort to rectify the reported human rights violations is not made, or the government in question is insufficiently transparent, then this will be noted in the final report which will make recommendations to the international community.

The human rights records of many nations of the former Cornellian Empire are checkered. In nations such as the Imperium, Urdnotia, Hostillia, Ahara, and Deadora human rights are virtually nonexistent. In others such as New Edom, Jedoria, the Shrailleen Empire, and Rome they are uneven. Millions suffer for it. This is not a problem one person or one nation can solve alone. The Foundation therefore calls upon the international community to back the creation of the CPO Committee on Human Rights. We extend this call to governments, organizations, companies, and public figures to support the hard work of promoting justice and compassion in a world that too often lacks both.

Sally Haldeman,
Chairwoman, Isidium Overseas Division
Last edited by Hittanryan on Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:50 pm

Puerto Rojas State University
Puerto Rojas, Adiron

Jim Navarette was in a large lecture hall, packed full. Every seat was occupied with others sitting on the steps or standing in the back. Other lecture halls on campus were similarly full, and A/V people had set up a live video feed. ANBC had a crew in the back as well. Groups on campus had managed to get some higher-profile speakers. There was chatter all around him, some excited, some outraged, the volume in the room becoming almost deafening as it filled, until the door opened and the room broke into applause. It was the first speaker, Scott Conway, a veteran of the First Burnt Hills War who had lost his leg above the knee to a rocket attack in Aldrich. He was wearing pants so they couldn't see his prosthetic, but he had an uneven gait to him and approached stairs rather gingerly. Wearing a suit and tie, with a trimmed full beard but a neat haircut, he waved to the crowd with a smile briefly. Since being discharged from the military he had gone to law school and rose to prominence as an SDP political activist. Some thought he would run for office, but he hadn't, by his own admission preferring to instead "hold New Laconia's feet to the fire."

He illustrated just what he meant by that with his opening line as his smile faded and he began. "Let me just cut to the chase here. A lot of politicians are very careful in their language when talking about what's happening. I'm not going to be. We're facing a major threat and our politicians won't acknowledge it. On the one hand you have the Edomites. Aren't they so charming and sophisticated?" he said, mockingly. "They've held elections and their Queen is a saint. Both may be true. It's also true that they now have a military presence in Ceti, and they're allied with the Imperium. An entire Army division is in Arcologia which, if the talks fail, could threaten us next. If both Tauber and Hesperinius drive west in the Palisades, that's two divisions against our one. An Edomite fleet is in the Diols, supporting the Union, bombing the Arvo whether or not they deserve it, and they could easily turn that on the Confederation or on Eos."

"And they're expanding. Always expanding. Marry off a disposable noble, then demand concessions. In that press conference they claimed the Ura Sea as an area 'under their authority.' They have a network of treaties now which demand recognition of Edomite claims on mineral rights throughout the region. When their Ambassador was asked, he said human rights are not New Edom's concern. But then you have Deol and DeGroot, saying 'we can't criticize them, because they've held elections and their Queen is a saint.'"

If New Edom is the face, then you have the Imperium as the heel. If at any point the Edomites take a step too far, they've got Robertson willing to send them cannon fodder to bail them out. And the Edomites are trying to rehabilitate them. The Imperium attacked us! Brazenly, openly, and we're just going to act as if nothing happened? Status quo ante bellum--no, even worse, they're demanding we let a bunch of greedy suits ship our jobs over there and that we have to give them the Palisades. Who the hell are they to demand concessions from the nation that they attacked without provocation?" The crowd broke into applause, giving shouts of approval which he had to wait to subside.

"They wanted the Palisades to bypass Anderson on the border and drive to the coast," he said, before pointing downwards. "Right here, they wanted to attack us right here in Puerto Rojas. They wanted to destroy us. And they're a bunch of liars, completely unresponsive to diplomacy. Even while Tauber was invading the Palisades their ambassador lied to our face. If there even is an investigation into the terrorism charges they'll just offer up a patsy. So we shouldn't even be thinking about trade deals when they are so obviously a danger to the whole country. If we ever want real peace, we have to get Imperial troops off the border. As long as an entire army group is sitting there poised to invade Plainterre on a moment's notice, this is gonna happen again. They will gleefully, jumping and skipping, break any treaty we negotiate now if that army stays on the border and they perceive some kind of opportunity."

"As long as the Imperium gives us no reason to trust them, as long as peace is only temporary at best, then we shouldn't concede a single goddamned thing to them," he declared. "Cornellia has only a few islands of democracy spread out and scattered across three continents. And none of them offer any real challenge to human rights violations. They know they can get away with it."

"Before the elections roll around, we need to tell DeGroot and the rest of our party that enough is enough. Soon you'll all start getting phone calls, emails, and letters, conducting polls and asking for campaign contributions. That's when we the voters can make a difference. The petition for the Liberty and Sustainability Pledge just got its 2 millionth signature. The Isidium Foundation just called for the establishment of a CPO Special Committee on Human Rights. But it's up to us to press them on it. Talking about human rights offends governments that violate them. It's not easy to start these sorts of conversations because nations like the Imperium don't even want to talk and nations like New Edom will dodge and evade inquiries while accusing us of attacking their culture. We have to let New Laconia know that we care about this, or before long we won't recognize ourselves as Social Democrats anymore."

"So, PRSU, are you on board?" Conway concluded, having allowed his voice to rise.

The lecture hall shouted a resounding "YES!"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:47 pm

The New Edomite Embassy

"General, what do you think of the situation with the fellow Conway?" asked Mr. Camon.

"I don't care," said Ramoth coldly. "I want to know why the Adirans are dragging their feet about the Visit. That's the key thing. Why can't they make up their minds?"

Camon thought about this a moment. "To avoid civil war. Same as us."

"Pardon?" said Ramoth, looking at him sternly.

"Well sir, their system is full of fail safes to prevent what hapened in their history--constant violent clashes for power, constant economic strife--from hapenign again. In such a sytem, things turn slowly, and change happens lowly, because of all the checks and balances and interests that are openly acknowledged. By acknowledging them, and by having constant negotiation and voting, they prevent outright violence while the status quo is maintained by a disinterested civil service."

"How disinterested is it?" asked Ramoth.

Camon waved a hand. "Naturally, their bureaucrats believe that what they are doing is good for the country, and it is their duty to convince their political masters of that. and then there are the appointed satff of the elected officials, whose flags are nailed to their poltical masters' masts. Then military and business interests. And of course due to their social system, these things blend a great deal. .Unlike with us, where NGOs are there to fulfill functions, theirs are a means by which resources are harnessed. And so, Your Excellency...this cannot happen quickly. Right now I am sure the President's people are trying to get the temperature of the bath."

"What bath?" Ramoth said. "Oh yes, I see. How odd, what a strange analogy...but yes I take your point." Ramoth pondered. "And so this man Conolly is just..."

"Conway," said Camon.

"Conway," said Ramoth with a tone of don't interrupt me again, will you, "Is just a kind of safety valve?"

"Yes sir. I recommend a general press relief commending his service and stating that because of our respect for such men and women, we are working hard to gain the peace."

Ramoth tapped his fingers. "Yes. We are. Though it is not unlike the myth of Sisyphus. Very well. Release it. By the way, also forward this to the President's office; the Queen will definitely not be coming. The King deifnitely will."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:44 pm

ACSW Headquarters
New Laconia, Adiron

After the Foundation's statement there was communication between the ACSW and Isidium. Dorothy Benitez was on the phone with Sally Haldeman. Dorothy was walking around the room shuffling papers and had Haldeman on speaker phone while Ko looked on, while Haldeman was calmly sitting at her desk. "I don't understand what you mean," Haldeman was saying. "A human rights committee would necessarily deal with women's rights as well."

Ko shook her head disapprovingly at Benitez. "I appreciate that, Mrs. Haldeman, can I call you Sally?

"You may," she said a bit hesitantly to Benitez.

"But in so many countries it is women in particular who suffer from a very specific set of issues. In our experience it is always women's issues that get shunted aside in the context of broader human rights abuses," she explained.

"In what way?" Haldeman asked, confused.

"Take the worst-case scenarios, the Imperium, Urdnotia, and Hostillia. We bring up, say, the lack of access to domestic violence shelters, we get a general response of 'Who cares? They do much worse.' Conversely, we bring up issues in nations like New Edom, we're met with 'Why focus on them when the Imperium and Hostillia are worse?' Women's rights always seem to take a backseat to other concerns when they're lumped together. There's a real fear that if we don't have our own committee, we'll get lost in the shuffle." Benitez looked over at Ko and got a nod of approval.

There was a pause on the other end of the line. Haldeman finally said "With all due respect, Ms. Benitez, from what I've seen of the ACSW's approach, you're not likely to get anywhere that way. Your people found out at the press conference what the Edomite government thinks of feminism and your organization. You're starting from a position with no access. The Foundation has been in New Edom for years. We know the struggles Edomite women face. We want to help, and I know the Council does too. We need to do it right."

Dorothy looked pointedly at Ko and motioned to the phone as if to say 'I told you so.' Ko only furrowed her brow. "You make a good point. Well, we'd certainly welcome any advice or input you have given your organization's experience. What would you suggest?"

"Outreach. Understand things from the Edomite perspective. Trying to impose from the top down an Adiran understanding of human rights and women's rights on a culture so different from ours is destined to fail. We should be seeking out our Edomite counterparts and work with them," Haldeman said.

"Well, that's fine for the Foundation. You have Edomite domestic relief agencies and such. We have no counterparts in New Edom. Feminism is banned, after all," Benitez replied, looking at Ko.

"Perhaps not identical, but the Intellectual Party has advocated secularizing Edomite law. They advocate for women's rights and LGBT rights as far as the law allows. The Peace and Harmony Party, the largest party in the Chamber of Deputies, even voted in favor of changing or dismantling the Morality Act, and has made some cautious remarks on women's rights. There are clearly a substantial number of Edomites who care about your issues. Have you contacted any of their affiliated groups?"

Benitez now looked at Ko. "Well, as far as I know...no."

"Then you really have no access," Haldeman pointed out. 'And we likely won't get it on our own, either, not now,' Benitez thought as she glanced at Ko.

"Again, I see your point. I think I'm going to have to have a frank discussion with my chief strategists on this matter. When is a good time to call you back, or would you prefer an email?" Haldeman gave her a time for a phone call. Benitez saw Ko shaking her head and only glared at her in response.

Adiran human rights organizations and journalists began to contact Deputies in both parties, particularly those who had risked their necks in the Morality Act debates. Some wanted to know if they would vote in favor of recommending to the Council of Ministers to comply with the proposed CPO Committee. Others were looking for connections to Edomite human rights groups, so that they could coordinate activism on both sides of the pond and gain a better understanding of what it would take to affect change in New Edom.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:19 am

The Lesser Diols

No one could call a Blackfly Drone a handsome vehicle. Like its namesake it wa a bulbous headed vehicle with wings and a long but unappealing body. However it could get the job done. The primary tool used by the Blackfly was the AN/APY Hawk II radar which was in the bubble like instrument protection on the aircraft, which the new Edomite operators called "the Pimple". This radar used what the Commoners called "Synthetic Aperture Radar (SAR)", but the New Edomites called it "The Angel Eye".

As though it were alive, the Angel Eye scanned the ground as the Blackfly rushed through the air, over green fields of cane and rice, groves of mango, mangrove marsh and tall grasses. The Angel Eye was a sensor on the bottom of the aircraft. A ground shifting target mode enabled this radar generates a situational awareness map of the scanned area and so moving targets could also be tracked by it and the information fed to its HQ.

Aboard NENS Glasstower, Commander Joanna Heep bent over nad peered at a console that Junior Lieutenant David Haggai had called her to. "there, Commander...we've been picking up a regular set of images that I think we've successfully matched to the supply convoy pattern."

"Cane trucks," said Commander Heep, nodding, her nostrils flaring. "That's probably it then. A good disguise."

On the last arcology of the Lesser Diols' main island, finding the source of the Arvo supply chain was the big challenge. It was becoming clear that they were using the civilian population--if the Arvo could be said to have such a thing--as shields for their assymetrical warfare. But now the

The Arvo had not yet offered any reasonable idea of surrender nor had they even suggested any points of negotiation so far. Heep was barely aware of this though. She had her orders and they were good. Once she had reproted to Admiral Esarhadon, the drones began selecting targets in the villages their aerial intelligence had coordinated with the Arcology Militia's proposed targets.

Heep stretched from her chair and yawned. It had been 12 hours since she had been supervising the UAV RECON drones. "Well done, team," she said to the unit. "I'm going to make a report."

She stood up and walked out of the hangar bay, her raven hair swayed as the wind from the ship's HVAC hit it, her slender elegant body attracts attention from any guy that she walked past.

She wanted to be bright eyed for the action that was to come, when she would be directing the air operations.

It began with the jamming attack with Lieutenant Aaron Gore putting the Veil of the Temple over the enemy's ability to detect their approach. Along with a distraction as the Arcology's Militia pushed into the Cane Country, they did not see the low horizon rush of helicopter and hovercraft borne 94th Infantry soldiers. By the time they did it was too late.

"Request Harpoon strike at point 566223," Colonel Thisbe's Forward Observer barked his orders on his satellite communication gear, "Fire!"

The missile attacks and the big gun attacks from the Samson thundered and the ground shook and smoked with the fire as from Heaven. For as was done with Sodom and Gomorrah, so was done to the Arvo here on the island of the UCB. Great showers of dirt, trees, huts and rocks flew into the air in huge clouds and fires began to spread.

The cane fields and mango groves burned. Villages that had stood for hundreds of years were now ripped asunder in an ecstasy of fire, a storm of war falling upon them. The New Edomites moved forward, cold and patient, and as reeling Arvo came out of the smoke, confused and angry liek bewildered bees, they were shot down in pairs, in tens, and singly. Every New Edomite position was a fortress which they held until the long range weapons did their work.

The 94th, made up mostly of Damocleans, followed up the attack, moving through the ashen landscape with rifles, machineguns, grenade launchers and radios at the ready.

As scouts reported enemy activity, machine guns burst into life. At the same time theyheard the distinctive "woomf" of the mortars firing, and then the distinctive scream of an artillery shell coming overhead. The Arvo would not give up easily.

The field nurse had volunteered for this job, they were running short of Medics and she couldn't bear to stand by as the wounded and damaged bodies came in with only a lick and a promise. Besides, they had an overage of nurses, and the hospital orderlies were laughing at seeing Women Officers doing blood work alongside them. She and her orderly buddy, had egged each other on until they both volunteered to fly with the Medevacs. She knew that with a bit more skill, some of the Ahabs (those who died when they'd hit the ground) could be brought in alive. However, she wasn't prepared for the realities of bullets splatting into the bird's hulls and the possibilities of going down in the middle of a firefight. Beyond that, there were the ripped up bodies from close explosions, the missing legs and arms from anti-personnel mines and she thanked God that she wasn't in body recovery, she'd heard stories of picking up half-bodies or severed heads, or just a hand or a foot. This was bad enough, with so many beyond anyone's help but loaded on because they were still alive.

Two days later a new smoke was added: a black greasy smoke that hung like vaporous raven's wings over the land as the pyres were stacked with Arvo bodies. Hymns were sung in voices high and low in thanksgiving as the Damoclean soldiers worked. They looked with shining eyes at Edomite Naval Officers and staff from Hesperinus' headquarters who came to see, throwing out their chests, saluting happily. And to their great joy, it was said later that Princes Jocasta, their Colonel-in-Chief, wept (beautifully of course) to hear their singing and see the signs of their great victory, Colonel Thisbe, that Damoclean warrior of many kills, wept too to hear this and could barely hold her pen straight to write the words of thanks.

This God—how perfect are his deeds!
How dependable his words!
He is like a shield
for all who seek his protection.

The Lord alone is God;
God alone is our defense.

He is the God who makes me strong,
who makes my pathway safe.

He makes me sure-footed as a deer;
he keeps me safe on the mountains.

He trains me for battle,
so that I can use the strongest weapons.

O Lord, you protect me and save me;
your care has made me great,
and your power has kept me safe.

You have kept me from being captured,
and I have never fallen.

I pursue my enemies and catch them;
I do not stop until I destroy them.

I strike them down, and they cannot rise;
they lie defeated before me.

You give me strength for the battle
and victory over my enemies.

You make my enemies run from me;
I destroy those who hate me.

They cry for help, but no one saves them;
they call to the Lord, but he does not answer.

I crush them, so that they become like dust
which the wind blows away.
I trample on them like mud in the streets.

You saved me from a rebellious people
and made me ruler over the nations;
people I did not know have now become my subjects.

Foreigners bow before me;
when they hear me, they obey.

They lose their courage
and come trembling from their fortresses.

The Lord lives! Praise my defender!
Proclaim the greatness of the God who saves me.

This was what Tim Stanton reported: the gallant Edomite soldiers (including the 1100 Damocleans who had fought to take the place, and proven themselves once again) had risked all to liberate the Diols and the Ura Sea from the Arvo Scourge.

"At great cost to our own soldiers' and sailors' lives, we have pushed onto the UCB Arcology and have liberated it from the Arvo slavers and pirates. I am surrounded right now by jubilant voices and faces in the Arcology as they are receiving news of the victory in the field..a victory hard earned but well worth it...for the peace which will now reign in this part of hte Diols. For NENN, I'm Tim Stanton."

"And so," said the Prophet Samuel Under, "We give praise, and thank the LORD, King of all Kings, God of gods, for ELIJAH, thy servant, who has become the Father of the Waters of Cornellia, for none can withstand his fire, none can halt his ships so long as his righteousness remains."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents