NATION

PASSWORD

The Least Worst System (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:24 am

Shiloam Palace

The Adirans went quiet and quickly opened the folders, with the advisors in particular pouring over the finer details. Ferrain leaned over to Fortner, who then whispered something to Rowan. Something seemed to catch Feng’s eye and he looked thoughtful. Rowan said something briefly to Bailey, who said a couple of words back before thumbing through the folder.

“I think these principles are generally acceptable, although yes, I do have two questions,” Rowan said. “Once an agreement is reached, how will violations of the agreement be handled?”

“And if I could clarify, when you say ‘access to the highest levels of command,’ that means specifically the military chain of command of the border forces? First Army and Army Group West?” he asked.

Fortner spoke up after Rowan received an answer. “Excellencies, I’m thinking about the worst-case scenario, if there’s a complete breakdown in the process and the Imperium rearms the border, overtly or in secret. The observers are deceived or expelled, talks on the commission are in bad faith. If that happens, war is likely just around the corner. In the interest of our security, it should be made clear we reserve the right to rearm the border to defend ourselves. It might be implied, but let’s make it explicit. Do you agree?”

While they received an answer, Feng got up and spoke first to Turner, then whispered to Rowan, who gestured to him and apparently gave him permission to speak. “Sir, excellencies, about embargoes, am I correct in understanding that this is intended to reduce embargoes on both sides? How would last year’s FODE embargo be considered under this agreement?”

“Excellencies, what would this new CPO committee consist of, exactly? What powers would it be granted?” Bailey asked.

Camilla hastily stepped in, she could see Olympia was annoyed, and understood why. "I...we do not mean to offend..."

"I think I'm going for a swim," Olympia said casually, getting up and pulling her dress off altogether and heading to the pool. Camilla shrugged and gave Michelle a glance.

“I don’t know what I said—“ Michelle started to say before slapping her forehead. “Oh god, she had an arranged marriage, that’s it. And she had a hard time with it. She probably thinks it’s unfair that I get to…should I say something? What should I say? Or would it just make it worse?”

"Mmm. Olympia likes older gentlemen too. We all talked," Camilla confided, "about what we like of course. What do you like about him? I personally like men who are sporty and make me laugh easily."

"Oh yeah, sense of humor, me too," she said, nodding and pointing. "When we first met, Paul made me laugh like I hadn't in a long time. He's confident, that's something I always look for. I admire his tireless service for our country, first in the military, then in the Assembly, and now the Cabinet. And..." she said with a wry smile and aside glance "I've seen pictures of him in uniform. To be honest, the age gap thing sometimes rears its head. I'm not into older men, like I don't look for that in a guy. But then I hear some of my friends talk about how their guys really never did grow up, and I'm thankful for what I have."

Camilla clearly had a lot on her mind. Michelle listened and periodically made sympathetic faces and sounds showing that she was paying attention. At one point she stood and slipped out of her dress, revealing a black one-piece swimsuit that had laces up the side, a plunging back, and showed just a slight hint of cleavage. She was in good shape, with a bit of tone to her arms, legs, and shoulders, a high bosom, round firm rear, and a healthy tan.

“Our cultures are just so different,” she said, laying down and reaching over for the lotion once Camilla was done with it. She started to rub it on her arms, legs, neck, and shoulders casually. “That’s something Paul didn’t explain so good before we got here. Our ‘duty’ in Adiron…I don’t know what it would be. Civic duty? That’s different though, that’s stuff like ‘get an education, get a career, be an informed voter, defend the country if we’re at war.’ It’s not personal. Closest I can think of is to raise your children right if you do decide to have them. If you raise a real screw-up, you should be ashamed. Still, I don’t know any woman who would say her whole ‘duty’ in life is staying home, having babies, and serving her husband. We like to make our men happy, of course. Raising a family is fulfilling too, but it’s up to us how it happens. That’s not ‘duty’ then, that’s something we want to do.

She leaned in closer to Camilla and whispered “I could never, you know, sleep with anyone I didn’t feel anything for, much less have kids with them. I’d wager there are other women here who feel the same way. She must be a strong person to stick it out and make it work,” she said with a vague gesture in Olympia’s direction. “I’m not sure I could do that, especially if he beat me. I’d never forgive him.”

“But that’s me. I’m a foreigner who probably doesn’t know how anything works here or the whole situation,” she said with a shrug. “I wouldn’t want to say anything to get you into trouble. You had friends who got in trouble? I could see that happening, I have seen it back home, independence has risks, and how could they understand the risks if women here never date, have arranged marriages, and mostly stay at home? They were fresh out of school and took their lives in their hands. But that’s the thing about freedom, you’re your own person but you’re also responsible for what might happen. The good with the bad, so you need to be smart or at least prepared.”

“If you were Adiran I’d just say ‘girl, you go play tennis and don’t let no man tell you different,’” she joked with a sassy tone and a finger in the air. “But it’s different here, and I don’t want to get your parents upset with you. Here’s a question: do you get a say in the match? At the very least I think you should, it’s your life. Then you can find someone who will support you. Or make tennis a condition going in. If the whole marriage is arranged anyway, it should be like a contract.”
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:49 pm

Shiloam Palace

“I think these principles are generally acceptable, although yes, I do have two questions,” Rowan said. “Once an agreement is reached, how will violations of the agreement be handled?”

“And if I could clarify, when you say ‘access to the highest levels of command,’ that means specifically the military chain of command of the border forces? First Army and Army Group West?” he asked.

King Elijah replied, "First--an advisory and formal request to cease the violation. The signatories from the CPO must be prepared to enforce such a request as well. As the Greeks agreed to support menelaus, so the CPO musts act, and this must be agreed to, by both parties.

"Second, you ask about highest levels of command. I mean First Army and Army Group West, but also up to the cabinet of Adiron and the Curia of Arbites."

Fortner spoke up after Rowan received an answer. “Excellencies, I’m thinking about the worst-case scenario, if there’s a complete breakdown in the process and the Imperium rearms the border, overtly or in secret. The observers are deceived or expelled, talks on the commission are in bad faith. If that happens, war is likely just around the corner. In the interest of our security, it should be made clear we reserve the right to rearm the border to defend ourselves. It might be implied, but let’s make it explicit. Do you agree?”

"Once the degree of a complete break down is defined--by either party--then yes, in the interest of each nation," said Nicanor.

While they received an answer, Feng got up and spoke first to Turner, then whispered to Rowan, who gestured to him and apparently gave him permission to speak. “Sir, excellencies, about embargoes, am I correct in understanding that this is intended to reduce embargoes on both sides? How would last year’s FODE embargo be considered under this agreement?”

"Last year's FODE embargo would be considered a violation of the agreement under these circumstances," said Hosidius Geta, looking first politely at Feng then smiling at Turner before returning to his notes.

“Excellencies, what would this new CPO committee consist of, exactly? What powers would it be granted?” Bailey asked.

"It would have, essentially, the right to guide policy for the observers, heads of mission and military commanders of the CPO commission," said Hosidius Geta. "Essentially it would be made up of representatives of all but the belligerents--Adiron and Arbites--although they would be privy to its minutes and discussions. The committee would have to consist of the following representatives and staff: diplomatic personnel, economists, legal advisers, and military personnel, ideally one member representing each element. They would receive reports from the CPO and from each nation--Arbites and Adiron--and would have the right to receive intelligence concerning the borders and the no fly zone. They would make, ultimately, recommendations at each stage of negotiations following a mediation process, and then supervise the ratification of agreements."

“I don’t know what I said—“ Michelle started to say before slapping her forehead. “Oh god, she had an arranged marriage, that’s it. And she had a hard time with it. She probably thinks it’s unfair that I get to…should I say something? What should I say? Or would it just make it worse?”

"I would not pursue it if I were you," advised Camilla, who began to sit up and tied her long hair in a flowing ponytail.

"Oh yeah, sense of humor, me too," she said, nodding and pointing. "When we first met, Paul made me laugh like I hadn't in a long time. He's confident, that's something I always look for. I admire his tireless service for our country, first in the military, then in the Assembly, and now the Cabinet. And..." she said with a wry smile and aside glance "I've seen pictures of him in uniform. To be honest, the age gap thing sometimes rears its head. I'm not into older men, like I don't look for that in a guy. But then I hear some of my friends talk about how their guys really never did grow up, and I'm thankful for what I have."

"He is a fine looking man," agreed Camilla. "Oh, I wanted to ask: do you go to a lot of events like this with him, parties for your council, I mean cabinet, and political things? And he's elected, right, or is he an appointed official?"

“Our cultures are just so different,” she said, laying down and reaching over for the lotion once Camilla was done with it. She started to rub it on her arms, legs, neck, and shoulders casually. “That’s something Paul didn’t explain so good before we got here. Our ‘duty’ in Adiron…I don’t know what it would be. Civic duty? That’s different though, that’s stuff like ‘get an education, get a career, be an informed voter, defend the country if we’re at war.’ It’s not personal. Closest I can think of is to raise your children right if you do decide to have them. If you raise a real screw-up, you should be ashamed. Still, I don’t know any woman who would say her whole ‘duty’ in life is staying home, having babies, and serving her husband. We like to make our men happy, of course. Raising a family is fulfilling too, but it’s up to us how it happens. That’s not ‘duty’ then, that’s something we want to do.

"It sounds pretty loose," said Camilla with a smile. "You can just do whatever you want I guess..."
She glanced at Michele. "What a pretty bathing suit! We should go for a swim in a bit. I love that you Adirans wear clothes to swim, it's cute." she slipped out of her dress, revealing an athletic body, lean legged and slim, with a nearly perfect light olive-biscuit tan. "You would be quite celebrated here, me, I'm so skinny that I think only my title and family name makes people want to court me at all..."

She leaned in closer to Camilla and whispered “I could never, you know, sleep with anyone I didn’t feel anything for, much less have kids with them. I’d wager there are other women here who feel the same way. She must be a strong person to stick it out and make it work,” she said with a vague gesture in Olympia’s direction. “I’m not sure I could do that, especially if he beat me. I’d never forgive him.”

Camilla blushed. "What you mean you follow your lusts all the time with men you like, well I gues those three?" she shook her head. "My gosh, that would never do! I mean, if I only played tennis or prayed when I felt like it, i would be as decadent as a Terician. And beatings, what do you mean? Weren't you spanked as a girl?"

“But that’s me. I’m a foreigner who probably doesn’t know how anything works here or the whole situation,” she said with a shrug. “I wouldn’t want to say anything to get you into trouble. You had friends who got in trouble? I could see that happening, I have seen it back home, independence has risks, and how could they understand the risks if women here never date, have arranged marriages, and mostly stay at home? They were fresh out of school and took their lives in their hands. But that’s the thing about freedom, you’re your own person but you’re also responsible for what might happen. The good with the bad, so you need to be smart or at least prepared.”

"One of them went to Ghant, and they let women do whatever they want there, and when she cae back, she acted wild and got caught. The other...kind of the same. They both got married off and it's hard on them, married to much older men, admittedly men of good rank but...of no family at all," Camilla shuddered. "Imagine being married off to a middle aged bureaucrat or a general from a Haranese desert clan. A smart girl lets herself be courted by a man she at least admires and likes..."

“If you were Adiran I’d just say ‘girl, you go play tennis and don’t let no man tell you different,’” she joked with a sassy tone and a finger in the air. “But it’s different here, and I don’t want to get your parents upset with you. Here’s a question: do you get a say in the match? At the very least I think you should, it’s your life. Then you can find someone who will support you. Or make tennis a condition going in. If the whole marriage is arranged anyway, it should be like a contract.”

Camilla looked at her sadly. "I get a say, but you know, as Princess Jocasta says, a woman should not protest too much, for like a soldier she has her duty. If I married Prince Lucas he would support my tennis career, but my parents are dubious, and that is because the King is dubious. He doesn't want too many Ghantish marriages. I think he wants a closer connection with some of our aristocratic families. If that is the case, then a tentative promise with the Unwerth family is what is on the table. Last I saw Malachi Unwerth he was being a silly fool at a party, drunk and falling into a potted fern after doing a ridiculous dance with his sister and others. it was funny but...stupid..." she smiled. "I don't know, maybe he's grown up a lot since he went overseas. He's in Delvian States now."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:04 pm

Shiloam Palace

King Elijah replied, "First--an advisory and formal request to cease the violation. The signatories from the CPO must be prepared to enforce such a request as well. As the Greeks agreed to support menelaus, so the CPO musts act, and this must be agreed to, by both parties.

"Second, you ask about highest levels of command. I mean First Army and Army Group West, but also up to the cabinet of Adiron and the Curia of Arbites."

“If you would permit me one follow-up, sir, what is the enforcement mechanism in the event of chronic or major violations? Will there be some form of penalty?” Rowan asked.

“As to access to the Cabinet, my Chief of Staff will need a more precise definition of ‘access’ if your people could provide that to him,” Rowan said, motioning to Ober. Ober had been watching Elijah rather passively since he had mentioned the Cabinet.

"It would have, essentially, the right to guide policy for the observers, heads of mission and military commanders of the CPO commission," said Hosidius Geta. "Essentially it would be made up of representatives of all but the belligerents--Adiron and Arbites--although they would be privy to its minutes and discussions. The committee would have to consist of the following representatives and staff: diplomatic personnel, economists, legal advisers, and military personnel, ideally one member representing each element. They would receive reports from the CPO and from each nation--Arbites and Adiron--and would have the right to receive intelligence concerning the borders and the no fly zone. They would make, ultimately, recommendations at each stage of negotiations following a mediation process, and then supervise the ratification of agreements."

Rowan glanced to either side of him, getting a nod from Bailey and no sign of disapproval from Fortner or Pendergast. The staff started to whisper among themselves, then all appeared to relay something to Ober. Rowan glanced back at him, who shook his head lightly in reply.

Placing his hands on the table, the President said “I hope that it is understood by all parties that this is to be an ongoing process with evolving concerns, that we expect impartiality on the part of all mediating parties, and that points of momentary contention are not grounds to abandon or sabotage the entire process. There must be good faith. History may look back on today as a momentous one, but only if we successfully and diligently carry out the difficult task ahead of us. With all of this in mind, the general principles of this agreement are acceptable to us as proposed. Let us move forward towards a better future for Ceti.”

Pendergast’s smile seemed somehow amused at this speech.

“Now, I did not want to derail the central topic of this discussion earlier, but questions do remain about what exactly it is your government intends to do with this corner of Arcologia, especially militarily,” Rowan said. “I do not wish to take up much time, but briefly, will the Edomite military presence in the Union be maintained at current levels or change over time? Will we be sufficiently appraised? Because this alone would affect everything from Adiran air traffic to economic development for the Confederates.”

“I’m curious as to the exact terms of this protectorate status, as well. What aspects of Union government policy have been delegated to New Edom?” Bailey asked. “I ask because I would like to know in what instances the State Department will still need to go through Valinda.”

"We wouldn’t have to worry so much, however, if New Edom agrees to the absolute right of Adiron to support its allies in Arcologia, militarily, economically, and otherwise. It would continue to stabilize the area, after all," Rowan pointed out rather bluntly.

"He is a fine looking man," agreed Camilla. "Oh, I wanted to ask: do you go to a lot of events like this with him, parties for your council, I mean cabinet, and political things? And he's elected, right, or is he an appointed official?"

“Not usually, no. When he was in the Assembly I didn’t usually go with him to all his fundraisers. The last one I went to was the Inaugural Ball,” she explained. She looked off in the distance a moment. It suddenly struck her that she had actually accompanied Fortner to every major state function he’d attended since his appointment. There had only been two, the Ball and this one, but still. ‘Am I going to go to all of these?’

“Paul was appointed to his current post,” Michelle explained, snapping out of it. “Before Rowan won though, he ran for and was elected to the Assembly. Someone now needs to fill his seat in the Assembly.”

She glanced at Michele. "What a pretty bathing suit! We should go for a swim in a bit. I love that you Adirans wear clothes to swim, it's cute."

She slipped out of her dress, revealing an athletic body, lean legged and slim, with a nearly perfect light olive-biscuit tan. "You would be quite celebrated here, me, I'm so skinny that I think only my title and family name makes people want to court me at all..."

“Oh, thanks, I got it at this place in Puerto Rojas. If you go to the beach there, look for Bart’s,” she said, glancing between her and Olympia. “And I just realized I’m going to be the only one wearing one…”

“Oh, no, no, don’t be silly,” Michelle said reassuringly. “You look great, you could be a model!”

She realized what she’d said about being skinny. “And not like one of those starving Terician runway models either, I mean like a model model—er, you know what I mean?” At this point Michelle was blushing and just said “You look good, really you do. Don’t put yourself down.”

Camilla blushed. "What you mean you follow your lusts all the time with men you like, well I gues those three?" she shook her head. "My gosh, that would never do! I mean, if I only played tennis or prayed when I felt like it, i would be as decadent as a Terician. And beatings, what do you mean? Weren't you spanked as a girl?"

Michelle opened her mouth to say something and stopped. She started again and hesitated again, before finally her expression softened. She put her hand on hers and concluded “Camilla, honey, I think you’re a nice person, I’m sure we can be friends, but I think we come from very different places. Very, very different. I just ask that you believe me when I say I’m not a slut.”

Camilla looked at her sadly. "I get a say, but you know, as Princess Jocasta says, a woman should not protest too much, for like a soldier she has her duty. If I married Prince Lucas he would support my tennis career, but my parents are dubious, and that is because the King is dubious. He doesn't want too many Ghantish marriages. I think he wants a closer connection with some of our aristocratic families. If that is the case, then a tentative promise with the Unwerth family is what is on the table. Last I saw Malachi Unwerth he was being a silly fool at a party, drunk and falling into a potted fern after doing a ridiculous dance with his sister and others. it was funny but...stupid..." she smiled. "I don't know, maybe he's grown up a lot since he went overseas. He's in Delvian States now."

Michelle made a face and said “Uh, this other guy, he’s not a drunk, is he? I mean your parents wouldn’t want to have one in the family I would think.”

She looked at Camilla and said “Real talk a second, I’ve known and heard about soldiers who were troublemakers as kids, and sometimes they clean up but sometimes they don’t. With some of them the discipline only lasts as long as they’re in the service, and without the routine and the structure of the Army, they go to pieces. Or the stuff they see, it can really mess them up. I would find out, I don’t know how, but I would.”

“But I don’t know him, and I don’t know how on earth it all works. I wish I could offer you more than that,” she said before glancing at the pool.

“Come on, this is getting heavy, let’s go for a swim,” she said, before glancing down and then around the pool area, looking for people apparently. “You know what, I don’t think anyone’s walking through here, and I feel a little out of place.” She slipped one strap of her suit off then the other, then somewhat haltingly pulled it down, first to her waist, then to her ankles, revealing well-defined tan lines. “All right, let’s jump in,” she said, still shyly adjusting and covering herself a bit.

The moment she stood up and walked to the pool, however, the door swung open and the First Lady came out in a sundress. She looked up in surprise, meeting Michelle’s equally surprised expression. Leslie managed to stammer “Oh! Well…when in Rome, right?”

Michelle laughed nervously as she stood to one side, rubbed her neck in a way that her arm covered her chest, and nearly crossed her legs. “Heh heh, yeah, well, you know…”

“Don’t mind me,” Leslie said, looking mostly at the pool and then digging around in a bag. “I’ll be back in just a bit, looks like I forgot the sunblock.” With that she turned around and went back through the door.

Michelle’s nervous smile vanished, her face flamed, and she mouthed ‘OH MY GOD…’ Jumping in the pool she wondered if she’d get lucky and drown.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:36 pm

Shiloam Palace

“If you would permit me one follow-up, sir, what is the enforcement mechanism in the event of chronic or major violations? Will there be some form of penalty?” Rowan asked.

"The main purpose," replied King Elijah, "Is to end the violation. The CPO would insist on, for instance, a withdawal of an aerial reconnaissance in such a case, or the halt and retreat of the advance of a mechanized convoy. "As for a penalty, no, that would be most inappropriate unless there were serious casualties, in which case perhaps payment for funerals, injuries and damages to property, but I would suggest that should only take place if international observers attached to the CPO were present."

“As to access to the Cabinet, my Chief of Staff will need a more precise definition of ‘access’ if your people could provide that to him,” Rowan said, motioning to Ober. Ober had been watching Elijah rather passively since he had mentioned the Cabinet.

Lalery muttered in Baran to Ashdod, "Now I'm imagining Shrai and Chacano people bunking with them, walking in and opening the fridge."

Ashdod hid a snicker beneath a cough, and murmured in the same language, "What the hell does he think it means? He really is a niggling lawyer."

"I believe my King means that their approach to cabinet would be streamlined, some manner of ready access through the phone or other forms of messaging so that they don't have to go through three layers of aides before they reach someone. In case there is something of concern. I should hardly think that the idea is for them to barge in on your cabinet meetings."

Placing his hands on the table, the President said “I hope that it is understood by all parties that this is to be an ongoing process with evolving concerns, that we expect impartiality on the part of all mediating parties, and that points of momentary contention are not grounds to abandon or sabotage the entire process. There must be good faith. History may look back on today as a momentous one, but only if we successfully and diligently carry out the difficult task ahead of us. With all of this in mind, the general principles of this agreement are acceptable to us as proposed. Let us move forward towards a better future for Ceti.”

Pendergast’s smile seemed somehow amused at this speech.

King Elijah looked at him laconically and then gave a brief nod. Prince Enoch cleared his throat and looked at Nicanor, who said, "I think, on behalf of the King and all of us, we are pleased to hear this, Mr. President."

“Now, I did not want to derail the central topic of this discussion earlier, but questions do remain about what exactly it is your government intends to do with this corner of Arcologia, especially militarily,” Rowan said. “I do not wish to take up much time, but briefly, will the Edomite military presence in the Union be maintained at current levels or change over time? Will we be sufficiently apprised? Because this alone would affect everything from Adiran air traffic to economic development for the Confederates.”

"New edomite military involvement in Arcologia will continue to be benevolent and helpful to Ceti as a whole," replied General Nicanor. "For now, present levels. If the level of crisis were to change, we might have to send more forces. If it becomes less serious, we will probably withdraw ground forces in particular."

“I’m curious as to the exact terms of this protectorate status, as well. What aspects of Union government policy have been delegated to New Edom?” Bailey asked. “I ask because I would like to know in what instances the State Department will still need to go through Valinda.”[/i]

"Foreign policy and defense policy have been delegated, as you say, to New Edom," said Geta with a sile.

""Therefore while you could speak through Valinda, it would be perhaps more efficient to speak to our Head of Mission there or to Fineberg directly," Nicanor chimed in.

"We wouldn’t have to worry so much, however, if New Edom agrees to the absolute right of Adiron to support its allies in Arcologia, militarily, economically, and otherwise. It would continue to stabilize the area, after all," Rowan pointed out rather bluntly.

King Elijah looked at him, saw his bluntness and raised it. "You should support your allies, and we will support ours. I wouldn't have it any other way."

Camilla was relieved that Michelle drew them back to present realities, and she agreed,

"We have different lives, but we can be friendly, it was lovely talking about things, but you're right, the day is too nice to be serious all the time!"

As she got up and walked to the pool, she glanced over, and saw Michelle stripping.

Olympia was padding over to the diving board for another dive and she said, "finally, I thought you two were going to talk forever! Let's have some fun!"

"Wow, nice tanlines," exclaimed Camilla. "Papa and Mama won't let me have them..." she ran to the edge of the pool and had jumped in just as the First Lady came out.

The First Lady's flustered departure had the two young Edomites briefly shrugging at one another, this was hardly the first time such a thing had happened, but then they were giggling and splashing one another, and then Michelle in turn. "Come on in!" called Camilla. "Let's cool off a bit, then tennis later! Is this the first time you haven't worn your pretty suit?"

From an upper window, Count Matthias Beroth and Count Evol-Merodach were both watching curiously.

"My, Fortner's mistress has everything where it should be," mused Beroth. "And lovely tanlines."

"Look at the President's wife scuttling off," laughed Evol-Merodach. "Well I heard she's a nice lady, the Queen got on well with her."

"The Queen is a saint, but hardly a judge of character, my friend," said Beroth. He checked his watch. "They shold be finishing up. We should be down there in case the King needs us."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:16 pm

Shiloam Palace

"The main purpose," replied King Elijah, "Is to end the violation. The CPO would insist on, for instance, a withdawal of an aerial reconnaissance in such a case, or the halt and retreat of the advance of a mechanized convoy. "As for a penalty, no, that would be most inappropriate unless there were serious casualties, in which case perhaps payment for funerals, injuries and damages to property, but I would suggest that should only take place if international observers attached to the CPO were present."

“Very well, sir, that answers my question,” Rowan replied. “I think given the scope of the mission and the need to respect national sovereignty, that is an appropriate procedure.”

Ferrain seemed less convinced. He whispered to Martin “We are staking this all on good faith, then? If the Imperium rearms and ignores the CPO, the CPO will not be able to physically stop them.”

Martin countered “How would they physically stop them? We ask them to do that and we’ll end up with a demilitarized zone and a lot of foreign troops. Actually, they’d need a peacekeeping force the size of First Army or something. The CPO couldn’t come up with that many boots.”

Ferrain pursed his lips and sat back in his chair.

"I believe my King means that their approach to cabinet would be streamlined, some manner of ready access through the phone or other forms of messaging so that they don't have to go through three layers of aides before they reach someone. In case there is something of concern. I should hardly think that the idea is for them to barge in on your cabinet meetings."

“I bet they’d like that though,” Snyder whispered to Cruise, who smirked.

“Yeah, that’s doable,” Ober replied to Geta before sitting back in his chair, clearly assuming that would be enough of a response.

King Elijah looked at him, saw his bluntness and raised it. "You should support your allies, and we will support ours. I wouldn't have it any other way."

Pendergast raised his eyebrows at this and glanced over at Rowan. Bailey frowned, and Fortner seemed to pause in what he was doing. Rowan paid this no mind and without missing a beat said “Well of course. The pirates, human traffickers, and warlords of southern Ceti are standing in the way of progress there, after all. Does anyone have anything further?”

None of the Adirans did, so Rowan continued. “In that case, on behalf of the Adiran people, Your Majesties, Excellencies, I would like to thank you all for your government’s diligent work in developing this plan. I now see for myself now why President DeGroot and Secretary Deol engaged with New Edom the way they did. Adiron for its part will honor its commitments in the interest of peace and—hopefully—a brighter future where liberty and prosperity are within reach for all Cornellians,” Rowan concluded.

At the pool, Michelle was trying to push from her mind the fact that she had flashed the First Lady of Adiron. She allowed herself to just get lost in the small talk, fooling around in the water. Once again she hit a bit of culture clash; she was perplexed at the compliments on her tan lines, but this time instead of inquiring she just rolled with it. She knew the kind of trouble she would stir up by inquiring here.

A few minutes later, to Michelle’s surprise and further discomfort, the First Lady returned in a one-piece bathing suit of her own, more conservative than Michelle’s. “Hello! Avert your eyes everyone, pale old lady coming through!” she said jokingly as she walked through and stretched out on a chaise. She made no hint or mention at all of what had happened minutes prior. While the younger women chatted away, with Leslie jumping in occasionally, she applied some lotion to her skin, rolled onto her stomach, then peeled off the top half of her bathing suit to the waist. Compared to the others, Leslie’s skin wasn’t as tight, there were odd blemishes and the usual sagging, and there were the telltale signs of having two children a while ago, but her arms, shoulders, and thighs all seemed to have some muscle definition, and her proportions were still fine if a bit soft. She was also almost entirely pale apart from her forearms.

Martha Pendergast had just finished a manicure and was going out to get some sun. She didn’t make it as far as Leslie had, spotting pale flesh through the door. Stopping in her tracks, she stared just a moment until she realized what she was seeing and turned on her heel, shaking her head. None of those at the pool area would have so much as spotted her.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:49 pm

Shiloam Palace

“Very well, sir, that answers my question,” Rowan replied. “I think given the scope of the mission and the need to respect national sovereignty, that is an appropriate procedure.”

Pendergast raised his eyebrows at this and glanced over at Rowan. Bailey frowned, and Fortner seemed to pause in what he was doing. Rowan paid this no mind and without missing a beat said “Well of course. The pirates, human traffickers, and warlords of southern Ceti are standing in the way of progress there, after all. Does anyone have anything further?”

None of the Adirans did, so Rowan continued. “In that case, on behalf of the Adiran people, Your Majesties, Excellencies, I would like to thank you all for your government’s diligent work in developing this plan. I now see for myself now why President DeGroot and Secretary Deol engaged with New Edom the way they did. Adiron for its part will honor its commitments in the interest of peace and—hopefully—a brighter future where liberty and prosperity are within reach for all Cornellians,” Rowan concluded.

"Very good everyone, we have accomplished something here today, something we may all be proud of. New Edom will forward this agreement to the Imperium, and will do our utmost to encourage them to accept the agreements and clauses, and then to work out the further details with the help of our CPO partners. We will also take this to the CPO and further our agreement there. Ladies and gentlemen: thank you for all your hard work."

The King inclined his head politely to the Adirans. "Now: let us jointly sign these agreements. These of course are not yet treaties, but are agreements to make it clear that we will stand by them when we address the Imperium and the CPO, and then...we shall all take a breather before your formal departure, unless, of course, there is anything further."

Captain Peleg produced a formal set of papers, with copies for each government, and fountain pens to sign them with.

Mara yawned prettily and smiled. "Oh, are we done?" she asked brightly. "Do you mind if I go to the pool?"

"Yes," said the King curtly. "We need you to co-sign this, as we are Co-Monarchs."

"Oh, sure," said Mara.

At the pool, Michelle was trying to push from her mind the fact that she had flashed the First Lady of Adiron. She allowed herself to just get lost in the small talk, fooling around in the water. Once again she hit a bit of culture clash; she was perplexed at the compliments on her tan lines, but this time instead of inquiring she just rolled with it. She knew the kind of trouble she would stir up by inquiring here.

A few minutes later, to Michelle’s surprise and further discomfort, the First Lady returned in a one-piece bathing suit of her own, more conservative than Michelle’s. “Hello! Avert your eyes everyone, pale old lady coming through!” she said jokingly as she walked through and stretched out on a chaise. She made no hint or mention at all of what had happened minutes prior. While the younger women chatted away, with Leslie jumping in occasionally, she applied some lotion to her skin, rolled onto her stomach, then peeled off the top half of her bathing suit to the waist. Compared to the others, Leslie’s skin wasn’t as tight, there were odd blemishes and the usual sagging, and there were the telltale signs of having two children a while ago, but her arms, shoulders, and thighs all seemed to have some muscle definition, and her proportions were still fine if a bit soft. She was also almost entirely pale apart from her forearms.

"Oh gosh, Mrs. Rowan, please don't mind us," said Olympia politely. "I hope that you're having a nice day, I know it's a bit boring for all of us...you look really nice."

With that, they continued their play, enjoying diving and swimming, before finally climbing out, slippery and supple, and flung themselves onto towels.

Camilla smoothed oil on her body, luxuriously rubbing it into her skin. When she finished, she picked up a tube of sun block, SPF 35. Carefully, she squeezed a small amount into her palm. She took a little more and covered the small amount of it on her backside; then spread more over the other parts, mostly where straps of dress or her hems or sleeves would make her paler.

"They'll probably be done soon," said Olympia, lying on her back and checking her phone. "In about maybe half an hour or less..."

"Enough time to relax..." sighed Camilla.

Martha Pendergast had just finished a manicure and was going out to get some sun. She didn’t make it as far as Leslie had, spotting pale flesh through the door. Stopping in her tracks, she stared just a moment until she realized what she was seeing and turned on her heel, shaking her head. None of those at the pool area would have so much as spotted her.

The only person who spotted Martha Pendergrast was Tegan, who was walking Precious, who bowed to her deeply. Precious barked at her.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:35 pm

Shiloam Palace

Rowan took a moment to look the agreement over and make sure everything was to his satisfaction. He leaned over to Fortner and pointed at something, whispering something in English, then glanced over at Bailey, who finished reading and looked at him expectantly. As Ferrain received a copy he read it quickly and looked up at Elijah then at Nicanor.

Ober sent a note over to Enoch and reminded him that they had previously discussed taking an official photograph of the signing as it took place. The photographer was not press, he was a member of Ober’s staff. Apparently they didn’t want this picture to be overly posed or staged, just a few snapshots of the actual event. At some point later on in the summit both delegations would pose for a group shot. The note also reminded Enoch that Rowan still had yet to present his gift for Elijah. The Adirans had felt that just after these main talks might be appropriate, but the Edomites would have had their own ideas.

Eventually the President reached for the pen and put his best signature on it, marking what could be a turning point in Ceti. If it was expected that the other Cabinet members sign as well, they would do so. Once all the necessary signatures were in place, the Adirans waited expectantly for Elijah and Mara to rise and dismiss them.

Martha quickly inclined her head to Tegan and went in the opposite direction.

Michelle largely forgot about her current state of dress until it was time to get out of the pool. The First Lady was on her stomach facing away from them, but she noticed an open window a few stories up.

Climbing out of the pool, skin shiny and hair dripping, she walked back to the chaise and started to pull her suit back on, adjusting it here and there. “Forgot, I didn’t put any sunblock on before I took it off,” she said to the girls with a shrug before stretching back out again languidly.

Eventually Leslie checked her phone and said “Oh, time flies.” Pulling the top of her swimsuit on while keeping covered up, she said “I think they’re probably done by now. If I had to guess, someone’s coming to get us soon. It was nice to soak up some vitamin D though,” she said with a smile to the others.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:02 pm

Shiloam Palace

There was a pause in activities; due to the fact that everyone had been sitting, or in the case of the consorts, wandering the palace lounging, being given tours of the galleries, gardens, pool and the like, there was about half an hour to change, refresh oneself (shit and polish up, as Lalery would say privately) and then regather. For this, it had been advised through Prince Enoch to Ober, people should put on formal clothing (or some approximation) though full dress was hardly necessary. The King would wear a standard parade dress uniform (or "Class A" as Adirans might say) as would others, or three piece suits would be satisfactory.

During this time, there were a few discrete moments to confirm agreements, mostly between staff, such as that of Queen Mara's with Amy Bailey's, Unwerth with Fortner's, Enoch Tubal-Cain's with Ober's. Lalery alluded, to Cruise, while telling him a dirty joke about a best friend, that he intended to visit Novitera in a few weeks' time to discuss banking reform in light of the economic troubles of the Region.

The signing of the agreement therefore looked casual and yet both staff photographers were encouraged to make it look smart, official, effective. People could make of it what they would. There was another buffet set up, but it was also clear that people could drift about and start getting ready to go. A schedule existed for the precise time of departure, but the Edomites did not want to rush their guests away. While lesser staff bustled to get luggage and other effects aboard, this could be done. It would also make the President's gift more of a friendly than a state affair sort of thing, so that each great man could save face if the gift was not liked in some way.

Queen Mara would give Leslie Rowan a hug and tell her, "I feel such a kindred spirit with you, we must get together again. It was so lovely spending time with you. I want to see some of your paintings, and talk about our families again, you have blessed us so much with your presence."

She also said to Amy Bailey, "We will talk lots. Mr. Geta will of course handle regular foreign affairs matters, but we will talk lots about the humanitarian mission which Christ has granted us,' crossing herself, she then kissed her cheeks. "May God grant you a safe flight home, dear Mrs. Bailey!"

The King observed to Rowan, "You are off to a good start, my dear Mr. President, and I hope the rest of your term is successful. It will make a good impression on the world, that we have met responsibly and emonstrated that responsible governments can guide this region towards peaceful resolution. Thank you for being so excellent a guest."

To Ober, he said simply with a quiet smile, "I hope you enjoy the rifle, Mr. Ober."

Hosidius Geta smiled benignly and said various words of friendliness to Adiran officials, but saved a special one for Turner. "I am doubly charmed to have met you, my dear Miss Turner, and if you would like to find a discrete place to show me your charms, I will give you my rating of them as you have clearly been hinting. I have tried to hold off, but you are too seductive for me. But I will understand if you are a bit shy, for you must know that a man such as myself is an expert and could surpass Argus for seeing how short of perfection the view is. But do not fret though, I wish only to be kind to you. You have done such marvelous work for us and your people, that you should be richly rewarded..."

"Mr. Pendergrast," Count Lalery approached, introducing his wife, Princess Caroline of Ghant, to Martha, "I think we have two of the best looking women here honouring our arms, hey? Mrs. Pendergrast, I shudder to imagine you at 18, for even now you'd launch a war to steal your charms in the old days. Lucky we live now, right? Ladies, why don't you let us talk a moment?"

Regardless of what Martha did he shooed Caroline away with a gentle swat on the behind and said to Pendergrast, "Listen, you and me seem like the only sane men at the table other than our heads of state, of whom we must speak as though sacred of course...but we have barely spoken of the ground on which al civilization must be built: stuff. I don't want an unnecessary squabble over Arcologia, just fair competition, right? How do you feel about our respective offices being in touch over this? I have the feeling, looking at your handsome face, that you have a plan of some kind in mind..."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am

Shiloam Palace

The Adirans were all suitably dressed, all of them with the exception of Ferrain wearing three piece suits and dresses. Most of them lightly snacked on the buffet, coming and going. The wives all changed out of their bathing suits and other beach wear.

Cruise laughed at Lalery’s joke, and about the Novitera visit he mostly said “The Noviterans’ plan for the crash is mostly just to bend over and take it. Any sensible relief measure might as well be communism to them. Meanwhile we’re all stuck waiting for them to bounce back before we’re at a hundred percent again.”

The King observed to Rowan, "You are off to a good start, my dear Mr. President, and I hope the rest of your term is successful. It will make a good impression on the world, that we have met responsibly and emonstrated that responsible governments can guide this region towards peaceful resolution. Thank you for being so excellent a guest."

To Ober, he said simply with a quiet smile, "I hope you enjoy the rifle, Mr. Ober."

Ober bowed to Elijah; he’d actually practiced that morning with Turner’s help and seemed to do it right. “Absolutely, thanks again, Your Majesty. Can’t wait to have some fun with it down at the range.”

“And I thank you for your gracious hospitality to all of us. I wish for you the best of health and success in all things,” Rowan said with a nod.

“By the way, sir, I have something I’ve been meaning to show you,” he said, pulling a small box out of his inner coat pocket and handing it to Elijah. Sitting on red felt was a somewhat faded and lightly worn gold medal, attached to a black and white silk ribbon which had a couple of small patches carefully mended. On one side was a picture of a griffon triumphantly standing over a broken Cornellian eagle standard. An old picture of Betharan Palace was on one side in the background. On the other was Old Cetan President Kohl, who had been in office during the fall of the Cornellian Empire and had authorized Ceti’s expedition to support Edomite independence.

“There are not many of these left. It’s a service medal awarded to Old Cetan troops, Marines mostly, who fought alongside Queen Adah the Liberator’s forces,” he would explain if Elijah didn’t already appear to know what it was. “This one belonged to a Cetan captain named Robert Winter. His grandson Bill served with my father during the Civil War, where they became good comrades in arms. Bill was killed in action near Midhurst, and he left this medal to my father. Naturally, my father could never sell it, not even to a museum, but he always wanted it put to some kind of appropriate use, more than sitting in his study, as he would say.”

“He often spoke of Adiron regaining Old Ceti’s lost prestige, reforging ties to the wider world. The medal symbolizes what could be accomplished when Cetans and Edomites worked together in friendship and cooperation. I hope you will accept it in that spirit.”

Queen Mara would give Leslie Rowan a hug and tell her, "I feel such a kindred spirit with you, we must get together again. It was so lovely spending time with you. I want to see some of your paintings, and talk about our families again, you have blessed us so much with your presence."

“Aw, thank you,” the First Lady said to Mara with a bright smile, returning the hug. “It was very nice to meet you, ma’am. I hope we can keep in touch somehow, you can tell me when Josias takes his first steps! I do hope one day you can come to Adiron. Everybody likes you there, I bet you’d get a big old warm welcome!”

She also said to Amy Bailey, "We will talk lots. Mr. Geta will of course handle regular foreign affairs matters, but we will talk lots about the humanitarian mission which Christ has granted us,' crossing herself, she then kissed her cheeks. "May God grant you a safe flight home, dear Mrs. Bailey!"

“I’m greatly looking forward to working with you, Your Majesty,” Bailey said with a more subdued smile. “I think this kind of work needs someone like you who can empathize with those suffering. Anne will keep in touch through Colonel Horvath.”

Hosidius Geta smiled benignly and said various words of friendliness to Adiran officials, but saved a special one for Turner. "I am doubly charmed to have met you, my dear Miss Turner, and if you would like to find a discrete place to show me your charms, I will give you my rating of them as you have clearly been hinting. I have tried to hold off, but you are too seductive for me. But I will understand if you are a bit shy, for you must know that a man such as myself is an expert and could surpass Argus for seeing how short of perfection the view is. But do not fret though, I wish only to be kind to you. You have done such marvelous work for us and your people, that you should be richly rewarded..."

Turner for her part was distracted. She was wearing a dark blue sundress with a v-neck, and felt a pit in her stomach as she noticed Snyder talking to Ober, both of them looking in her direction. At a couple of key points while Geta was speaking, she was glancing off their way. She heard most of what Geta was saying, but not all of it, and between the translation and her lack of attention she missed his clear intent. “Oh, yes, I did want to talk to you about some things, as long as we have the time. Why don’t you lead the way?” she replied, perhaps surprisingly casually to Geta based on her previous reactions.

"Mr. Pendergrast," Count Lalery approached, introducing his wife, Princess Caroline of Ghant, to Martha, "I think we have two of the best looking women here honouring our arms, hey? Mrs. Pendergrast, I shudder to imagine you at 18, for even now you'd launch a war to steal your charms in the old days. Lucky we live now, right? Ladies, why don't you let us talk a moment?"

“Oh, Excellency, you’ll make an old woman blush,” Martha said, despite the fact that she wasn’t blushing. She then joked to Caroline “I understand what you must see in him.”

“Careful, Excellency, I saw her first,” Pendergast said with a grin, hooking his arm around Martha’s waist. With a nod and a brief rub of Martha’s thigh, Pendergast similarly dismissed her, who quickly segued into asking Caroline about Lalery, the wedding, her children, how she was adjusting to New Edom from Ghant.

Regardless of what Martha did he shooed Caroline away with a gentle swat on the behind and said to Pendergrast, "Listen, you and me seem like the only sane men at the table other than our heads of state, of whom we must speak as though sacred of course...but we have barely spoken of the ground on which al civilization must be built: stuff. I don't want an unnecessary squabble over Arcologia, just fair competition, right? How do you feel about our respective offices being in touch over this? I have the feeling, looking at your handsome face, that you have a plan of some kind in mind..."

Pendergast studied Lalery a moment as the ladies left. “Well, Excellency, you strike me as a resourceful and vigorous man who’s used both his status and his own abilities to get things done. I’d like to think of myself as the same sort of man. Given that we are each other’s counterparts, I think it’s only natural that we keep in touch, yes.”

“I’ve naturally had to consider many details that the President can’t necessarily devote his energy to. You may have noticed that over the course of these talks, the President did not have to hem and haw on the funding. The diplomatic and political ramifications, maybe, but not the funding,” he said, raising a hand.

“Because as you say, stuff—capital—is what makes the world really go round. That’s because capital is real. Capital is what will really stabilize Arcologia, and it’s what the Arcologians themselves are most concerned with. Will Secretary Bailey’s strong principles and committee do anything for the Confederates? That I can’t say. The rail line from Cerina to Cataran? Absolutely. The sea lanes in the Ura Sea? Absolutely.”
Last edited by Hittanryan on Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:01 pm

Shiloam Palace

Cruise laughed at Lalery’s joke, and about the Novitera visit he mostly said “The Noviterans’ plan for the crash is mostly just to bend over and take it. Any sensible relief measure might as well be communism to them. Meanwhile we’re all stuck waiting for them to bounce back before we’re at a hundred percent again.”

"Maybe," said Lalery. "We'll see what we can get out of our plutocratic friends, eh? You've done good work here, Mr. Cruise. And we must of course do our best, as rational people, to avoid economic crisis. But I thought I'd keep you abreast of things. Do enjoy the food, it's just going to go to the capybaras otherwise," he said with a wink as he headed off to talk to Pendergrast.

“By the way, sir, I have something I’ve been meaning to show you,” he said, pulling a small box out of his inner coat pocket and handing it to Elijah. Sitting on red felt was a somewhat faded and lightly worn gold medal, attached to a black and white silk ribbon which had a couple of small patches carefully mended. On one side was a picture of a griffon triumphantly standing over a broken Cornellian eagle standard. An old picture of Betharan Palace was on one side in the background. On the other was Old Cetan President Kohl, who had been in office during the fall of the Cornellian Empire and had authorized Ceti’s expedition to support Edomite independence.

“There are not many of these left. It’s a service medal awarded to Old Cetan troops, Marines mostly, who fought alongside Queen Adah the Liberator’s forces,” he would explain if Elijah didn’t already appear to know what it was. “This one belonged to a Cetan captain named Robert Winter. His grandson Bill served with my father during the Civil War, where they became good comrades in arms. Bill was killed in action near Midhurst, and he left this medal to my father. Naturally, my father could never sell it, not even to a museum, but he always wanted it put to some kind of appropriate use, more than sitting in his study, as he would say.”

“He often spoke of Adiron regaining Old Ceti’s lost prestige, reforging ties to the wider world. The medal symbolizes what could be accomplished when Cetans and Edomites worked together in friendship and cooperation. I hope you will accept it in that spirit.”

This caused a bit of a pause. People became hushed and respectful, and Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain stood near the King, the men in uniform stood at attention.

"Clever boy," murmured Lalery before he left Cruise, "Clever boy, your President. Though I understand this also matters to him a great deal as well. He may succeed where DeGroot could not."

King Elijah accepted the medal and said, "Mr. President, for this great gift, I thank you. The Cetian people and New Edomite people, do have old ties of friendship. I am grateful for this, and will keep this in honour. You show, with this gift, that you are a man of your word, and admirable to lead your people."

He inclined his head in respect.

Turner for her part was distracted. She was wearing a dark blue sundress with a v-neck, and felt a pit in her stomach as she noticed Snyder talking to Ober, both of them looking in her direction. At a couple of key points while Geta was speaking, she was glancing off their way. She heard most of what Geta was saying, but not all of it, and between the translation and her lack of attention she missed his clear intent. “Oh, yes, I did want to talk to you about some things, as long as we have the time. Why don’t you lead the way?” she replied, perhaps surprisingly casually to Geta based on her previous reactions.

Geta took her by the elbow. "Let us go to the White Garden." This was actually a garden which was sectioned and decorated with marble works and statuary--fountains, benches, and statues. These statues were mostly of saints and martyrs, apostles and other biblical heroes. However it was also surrounded with willows, lavender, ferns, fig trees, lemon trees.

"Now, my dear Miss Turner, what did you want to talk to me about?" he asked her. "And by the way, please, let's make you comfortable for this conversation, no restraint," he said, gesturing at her chest.

“Oh, Excellency, you’ll make an old woman blush,” Martha said, despite the fact that she wasn’t blushing. She then joked to Caroline “I understand what you must see in him.”

“Careful, Excellency, I saw her first,” Pendergast said with a grin, hooking his arm around Martha’s waist. With a nod and a brief rub of Martha’s thigh, Pendergast similarly dismissed her, who quickly segued into asking Caroline about Lalery, the wedding, her children, how she was adjusting to New Edom from Ghant.

[i]Regardless of what Martha did he shooed Caroline away with a gentle swat on the behind and said to Pendergrast, "Listen, you and me seem like the only sane men at the table other than our heads of state, of whom we must speak as though sacred of course...but we have barely spoken of the ground on which al civilization must be built: stuff. I don't want an unnecessary squabble over Arcologia, just fair competition, right? How do you feel about our respective offices being in touch over this? I have the feeling, looking at your handsome face, that you have a plan of some kind in mind..."

Pendergast studied Lalery a moment as the ladies left. “Well, Excellency, you strike me as a resourceful and vigorous man who’s used both his status and his own abilities to get things done. I’d like to think of myself as the same sort of man. Given that we are each other’s counterparts, I think it’s only natural that we keep in touch, yes.”

“I’ve naturally had to consider many details that the President can’t necessarily devote his energy to. You may have noticed that over the course of these talks, the President did not have to hem and haw on the funding. The diplomatic and political ramifications, maybe, but not the funding,” he said, raising a hand.

“Because as you say, stuff—capital—is what makes the world really go round. That’s because capital is real. Capital is what will really stabilize Arcologia, and it’s what the Arcologians themselves are most concerned with. Will Secretary Bailey’s strong principles and committee do anything for the Confederates? That I can’t say. The rail line from Cerina to Cataran? Absolutely. The sea lanes in the Ura Sea? Absolutely.”[/i]

Lalery nodded. "Mr. Secretary, I propose that if we focus on the sea lane and rail line planning that he other things will flow after that. Your Secretary of State may not quite agree, but her humanistic ideas cannot exist without that. A rail line will bring civilization to our shared zones of control in Arcologia as will improving sea lanes around the Ura Sea. What I suggest is that you and I use our offices to facilitate talks between appropriate contractors."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:27 pm

Shiloam Palace

This caused a bit of a pause. People became hushed and respectful, and Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain stood near the King, the men in uniform stood at attention.

"Clever boy," murmured Lalery before he left Cruise, "Clever boy, your President. Though I understand this also matters to him a great deal as well. He may succeed where DeGroot could not."

King Elijah accepted the medal and said, "Mr. President, for this great gift, I thank you. The Cetian people and New Edomite people, do have old ties of friendship. I am grateful for this, and will keep this in honour. You show, with this gift, that you are a man of your word, and admirable to lead your people."

He inclined his head in respect.

“The President can come across as a bit dry, but I wouldn’t let that fool you,” Cruise tried to say to Lalery with a straight face as he left. Of course Rowan was dry. Talk show hosts had already pegged his caricature that way.

Rowan inclined his head in turn. People near him may have caught a hint of a fleeting smile. “I’m glad you like it, sir. After getting to know you the past couple of days, I knew you would be the kind of man to fully appreciate it,” he replied.

This was actually a garden which was sectioned and decorated with marble works and statuary--fountains, benches, and statues. These statues were mostly of saints and martyrs, apostles and other biblical heroes. However it was also surrounded with willows, lavender, ferns, fig trees, lemon trees. "Now, my dear Miss Turner, what did you want to talk to me about?" he asked her.

Turner actually stopped in her tracks as she saw the garden. “Oh it’s beautiful…” she said, a bit dazzled for a second.

Snapping out of it, she replied to Geta quickly. “What happened last night, between you and the Secretary of State, the President’s staff feels it was too much culture clash all at once. They are embarrassed by what happened, but we anticipate this won’t be the last frank conversation we have as we move forward.”

She looked at Geta with puppy dog eyes. “Excellency, I need to understand how to strike a balance. My government needs a way to ask yours for information without it immediately breeding mutual distrust and resentment. They’re expecting me to do that for them.”

"And by the way, please, let's make you comfortable for this conversation, no restraint," he said, gesturing at her chest.

Turner’s face immediately fell, looking puzzled at first. “I…what?” Her face suddenly flamed and she cried out “Foreign Minister! Really?!

Lalery nodded. "Mr. Secretary, I propose that if we focus on the sea lane and rail line planning that he other things will flow after that. Your Secretary of State may not quite agree, but her humanistic ideas cannot exist without that. A rail line will bring civilization to our shared zones of control in Arcologia as will improving sea lanes around the Ura Sea. What I suggest is that you and I use our offices to facilitate talks between appropriate contractors."

At the mention of Bailey, Pendergast almost involuntarily chuckled and shook his head. “Yes, I think that would be the best thing for South Ceti.”

“Now I wonder—privately, purely hypothetically—what a man such as yourself thinks of New Edom’s land use laws in this day and age? I realize the landed nobility is a sacred institution, steeped in tradition, but barring all foreigners from owning any property could be considered a serious barrier to foreign investment. Imagine the possibilities if those barriers were to be relaxed, not even eliminated entirely.”

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:51 pm

Shiloam Palace

The meetings were starting to break up; the Adirans would have a chance to have a breather, get changed, and prepare for the last photographs before departure and the farewell ceremony.

Lalery fought an urge to roll his eyes and spit on the floor at Pendergrast's words. "Let's do this instead," he said gruffly. "Let's work on reducing duties and tariffs, let's work on making migration of labour easier, let's work on better infrastructure to support movement of goods and services. Recognition of respective trade laws, movable property laws, insurance and all that sort of thing. Then the land issue will move naturally. Mr. Secretary, I can send you the transcripts from the Chamber, it's one of the fiercest debates, is property laws. Hel, it determines whether someone calls you a patriot or a damned internationalist Jewish banker. The other stuff...you have to deal with it like offering a child a new thing to eat. They snivel and whine about how they never tried it before. Imagine the child is one of ours from Northern Bara, and they know how to use a knife, a sharpened stick or a pistol, and then you want to give them a good smack on the rump and make them try it? No. You entice them first. Get them to realize that eating a little nib here and there is good. But if you say outright "this is something you cannot even imagine eating, it's totally weird but you should try it" of course they rebel. So baby steps, Mr. Secretary."

Geta was listening to Turner talk about the culture clash issue, and then it seemed to hit her what he had said. He sighed inwardly, crushed ad saddened. He had come to understand what Prince Enoch loved about Adiran women, and had thought this was his chance. It was not. He was stuck with the occasional assignations, the dull and easy going Lara who had little will of her own, and probably a rather prudish wife who would just want to host dinner parties and put up with his urge to breed. It grieved him enough that he had to force his sorrow down and replace it with proper amiability. It was his duty.

He put up a hand, and said kindly, "I'm sorry, perhaps I misunderstood you. You see, I thought you were self conscious about your lovely mammaries and I wanted you to feel at ease. I also thought you were flirting with me. There we are, culture clash! Well these things happen. Much as I would love to, of course I will not force my attentions on a nice young lady like you. Though I sigh with regret, you are beautiful and naturally I want you.

"So, as you see, culture clash is difficult. Your Secretary Bailey is a kindly person, I believe, but she is al but a Marxist and thinks honour means being compassionate, and it has nothing to do with that. Hoour is about a person's reputation and good name. For example, I could suggest that because you misread some of my remarks that you are a teasing little slut but I am going to instead go with your reputation and your courtesies thus far and presume that I misunderstood and that it would be unfair to either insult you or place demands on you. What i am choosing to do is honour you...by seeing you as a virtuous woman who did not understand how you may have misled me. I in turn accept that I misread you as well. What is more important, I am sure we both agree, is that we serve our country and our governments' policies. I hope that makes sense."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:27 am

Shiloam Palace

Pendergast was nodding in agreement with Lalery as he finished speaking. “Excellency, when I said hypothetically, I meant it. Of course you’re not going to change an ancient institution overnight, and I wouldn’t even suggest it publicly. I simply wanted to know your personal opinion as one of the men who knows this system best. If baby steps is the way forward, then baby steps it is.”

“So you want to establish a modern financial system in New Edom while continuing infrastructure development and reducing trade barriers. A lot of that will take capital investment. Even in recession, Adiron certainly has the capital, and now’s the time to buy. As long as I can point to real, material returns on Adiran investment in New Edom, I think it’s just a matter of momentum, really. If New Edom’s bonds are good and markets continue to grow, you can’t keep a good capitalist down.” Pendergast said, before clicking his tongue and pausing as though he had just thought of something.

“But we’ve got debates in our Assembly too. The President’s got such a slim majority, you know. You and I both know the benefits of trade between our nations, but some of the far left, they only see what they want to see. Bailey, for example, would want to see improvements in human rights before encouraging investment here. However, it seemed obvious to me that we can use this Commission to throw carrots to the left while the grownups are talking.”

In the garden, Turner’s face was still red, and her brow furrowed when Geta mentioned what he could have suggested she was. “All right, I accept your apology, Excellency.” She was worried that she was about to lose her chance, however, and with some effort appeared to calm down. “And I really am sorry if I led you on in any way. By what I thought to be Edomite standards, I didn’t think I was dressed or acting provocatively. Apparently I have a lot to learn about the religious and cultural significance of Edenism. By Adiran standards, you were…how do I put this?”

“I suppose in New Edom people admire the human body more openly than in Adiron. So at times you were a perfect gentleman, but the ogling and some of the comments would be completely lecherous in Adiron where it’s normal here. So I’m going to chalk that up to culture clash too, like you said.”

“Reputation and honor are not entirely alien to us, Excellency, believe it or not. We’re just starting from very different places. Secretary Bailey believes that Adiron’s honor requires a commitment to values the nation was founded on. We may not have a monarchy dating back centuries or one single religion which we all follow devoutly, but we do still have values, even if they must seem vague or too idealistic to you. If we turn a blind eye towards human rights abuses, for instance, she and many other Adirans think they’re doing a disservice to Adirans who sacrificed for our values. Our reputation would suffer too, if we talk about our principles but never follow through on them. Imagine if New Edom only talked and did nothing to stand up for Christianity in the region?”

“I suppose what I need to know is how to put that in a way that makes any sense to the King, or to you, or to other members of your government, or even to the average Edomite?”

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:19 pm

Shiloam Palace

“So you want to establish a modern financial system in New Edom while continuing infrastructure development and reducing trade barriers. A lot of that will take capital investment. Even in recession, Adiron certainly has the capital, and now’s the time to buy. As long as I can point to real, material returns on Adiran investment in New Edom, I think it’s just a matter of momentum, really. If New Edom’s bonds are good and markets continue to grow, you can’t keep a good capitalist down.” Pendergast said, before clicking his tongue and pausing as though he had just thought of something.

"Indeed..." Lalery blew cigar smoke out of the side of the mouth. "Well, Mr. Pendergrast, if you'd be kind enough to facilitate meetings with major investors, I will facilitate my own part of it. One of the challenges we are going to face are worries in our own industries about change. This is understandable, I think. The NPC is going to be among those who are worried of course, because of the principle resources we have so depended on. So they must be sweetened, naturally."

“But we’ve got debates in our Assembly too. The President’s got such a slim majority, you know. You and I both know the benefits of trade between our nations, but some of the far left, they only see what they want to see. Bailey, for example, would want to see improvements in human rights before encouraging investment here. However, it seemed obvious to me that we can use this Commission to throw carrots to the left while the grownups are talking.”

Lalery raised his eyebrows. "I have nothing against human rights. But we must let the Commission do its work. Tell me, does Bailey like to fuck like the dog?"

Meanwhile, with Turner: “All right, I accept your apology, Excellency.” She was worried that she was about to lose her chance, however, and with some effort appeared to calm down. “And I really am sorry if I led you on in any way. By what I thought to be Edomite standards, I didn’t think I was dressed or acting provocatively. Apparently I have a lot to learn about the religious and cultural significance of Edenism. By Adiran standards, you were…how do I put this?”

“I suppose in New Edom people admire the human body more openly than in Adiron. So at times you were a perfect gentleman, but the ogling and some of the comments would be completely lecherous in Adiron where it’s normal here. So I’m going to chalk that up to culture clash too, like you said.”

"It is! The glory of it all! The body is the Temple of God!" cried Geta. "If you visited our beaches, if you went among our country people as our Queen has done, you would be happier than when clothed. After all, clothing can be judged against that of another based on the most arbitrary of conditions, but a health body is a body made in God's image! And what could be more beautiful than the font of food and drink, the glorious cushioning of infancy? Is it not written that a man must be comforted by his wife's breasts?"

“Reputation and honor are not entirely alien to us, Excellency, believe it or not. We’re just starting from very different places. Secretary Bailey believes that Adiron’s honor requires a commitment to values the nation was founded on. We may not have a monarchy dating back centuries or one single religion which we all follow devoutly, but we do still have values, even if they must seem vague or too idealistic to you. If we turn a blind eye towards human rights abuses, for instance, she and many other Adirans think they’re doing a disservice to Adirans who sacrificed for our values. Our reputation would suffer too, if we talk about our principles but never follow through on them. Imagine if New Edom only talked and did nothing to stand up for Christianity in the region?”

“I suppose what I need to know is how to put that in a way that makes any sense to the King, or to you, or to other members of your government, or even to the average Edomite?”

"I don't understand," said Geta flatly. "Your people have no commitment to the Arvo. They have not made promises, exchanged gifts or received homage. The Union is our responsibility. That it is so great a concern seems to have nothing to do with your people. Why do they not concern themselves with the Arvo who are in your spheres of influence?"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:09 pm

Shiloam Palace

"Indeed..." Lalery blew cigar smoke out of the side of the mouth. "Well, Mr. Pendergrast, if you'd be kind enough to facilitate meetings with major investors, I will facilitate my own part of it. One of the challenges we are going to face are worries in our own industries about change. This is understandable, I think. The NPC is going to be among those who are worried of course, because of the principle resources we have so depended on. So they must be sweetened, naturally."

“I’ll tug on a few threads, Excellency. Why don’t you give me an idea of what they’re worried about and just how sweet we’re talking, and then I can give our people some idea of what they’re looking at? Not here, of course, lot of figures. Send it my way when we’re wrapped up here,” he said with a smile, patting him on the shoulder.

Lalery raised his eyebrows. "I have nothing against human rights. But we must let the Commission do its work. Tell me, does Bailey like to fuck like the dog?"

This actually seemed to catch Pendergast off-guard. He laughed out loud before quietly saying “Doubt it, Excellency. Dead fish or demands to be on top, my guess. But you’ve stumped me: where are you going with this?”

"I don't understand," said Geta flatly. "Your people have no commitment to the Arvo. They have not made promises, exchanged gifts or received homage. The Union is our responsibility. That it is so great a concern seems to have nothing to do with your people. Why do they not concern themselves with the Arvo who are in your spheres of influence?"

“I’m sorry you feel that way, Excellency,” Turner said blandly. “I was hoping that we were coming closer to understanding our governments’ respective concerns, so I could help smooth things over with you. If we cannot understand each other, that’s going to be a continued source of difficulty, I’m afraid. Let’s hope the commission will satisfy Secretary Bailey.”

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:50 pm

Central Arvo Nation
Arcologia

Another village was burning. Less of it, this time, was the Rangers’ doing. The latest intelligence was right; Arvo on the mainland were consolidating their strength. Villages were harvesting whatever they could early and then taking everything they could to the south somewhere, burning their fields behind them as they went. Strangely, the warriors weren’t fighting back. Mok Ukkadis had apparently directed them to abandon the villages and only defend the villagers and the supplies. Although this ran counter to the Arvo’s habit of stubborn last stands, it was effective: the last two attacks by the Rangers had been too late.

This one wasn’t, though.

For whatever reason, likely human ones, this village was late. Normally the evacuations moved under the cover of the jungle canopy, but here the Rangers’ drones found that the villagers were just starting to move their supplies. When the Rangers attacked, the Arvo’s warriors fought and tried to protect their supply column, with several teams of MANPADS dispersed around the area and a rearguard covering the supplies. Because the “supply column” was simply a number of villagers and slaves on foot, however, it moved so slow that the Rangers’ gunships had time to simply flush and kill the MANPADS and escort while one platoon cut the villagers off.

The captive villagers and slaves had been brought back to the village and were now standing in a line, hands bound and legs hobbled. Latson was holding up a picture of Dr. Cresswell and speaking. Dakan was translating for the crowd somewhat imperfectly. "We want this woman. She is one of our people. Mok Ukkadis took her from Virden. That is why we are taking terrible vengeance upon your villages and warriors. Return what is ours. Step forward those who know anything, and you shall be rewarded. Hide anything, and we will know, and you shall be taken."

A younger Arvo woman looked up at the picture and her eyes started to widen. She tried to look down but it was too late, Dakan pointed her out. "This one, Captain. She knows something."

"All right, separate her," Latson says with a wave. The woman's eyes darted around in panic as one of Latson's men start taking her away. She was saying something in Arvo. Latson was watching her carefully, and realized she was calling out to one woman in particular, looking right at her. A woman in her late twenties or early thirties was gritting her teeth and looking tense. Her chin and nose were the same shape.

Latson nudged Dakan. “What’s she saying?”

“Prayer to the ancestors, vowing not to disgrace her family or the People, says she’ll kill herself to keep the Other Men’s seed from bearing fruit within her,” the Folau man said as though listing off groceries.

“She’s yelling to that one,” Latson said, pointing. “Torres, Carillo, take her too.”

Two rangers nodded and walked brusquely over to the other woman. Upon reaching her, she spit in Torres’ face. Shaking it off, he went to put her in an arm lock and she started thrashing. As Carillo approached to subdue her she wrenched around and nearly bit his hand, instead getting a mouthful of his BDU.

There was a quick blur of motion, and suddenly the woman was gasping for air and doubled over. Torres hoisted her over his shoulder.

The first girl was seen crying out to the incapacitated woman who resisted.

Latson asked Dakan. "Sister?"

"Mother," Dakan said.

Latson's expression was unchanged, but she grunted "Huh."

The girl was taken to a hut that had escaped the fires. Inside was a table and two stools, one occupied by the girl and the other by an intelligence officer. “This war will not last forever. We will let your people practice your ways, as long as you do not attack our people. When that happens, you will go free,” the officer was saying to the girl across the table. She had been sitting silently, looking sullen and defiant at both the officer and Dakan, who was translating.

“If you help us, we can give you anything you want for your village, within reason. Food, seeds, livestock, radios, batteries, fuel, rifles, almost anything. It will be a rich dowry, you could get a good husband, maybe a clan leader.”

The girl seemed to stir a second, but then shook her head and closed her eyes. The officer looked at her disappointedly and sighed, before getting up and going to the door of the hut. Dakan was left behind to watch her with his unsettling stare.

“I think we’re close, I think she might like the bait,” the officer said to Latson, who was waiting outside. “We got the carrot, now we need the stick.”

Latson entered the hut with a nod to Dakan. “Miss, I’m the commanding officer of the Rangers. I’ve been leading the campaign here. Against all of your villages,” she proclaimed. Hate and fear were in the girl’s eyes, but she watched Latson nonetheless as she dragged the chair noisily across the floor. “I’d just assume let you go. After all, you’re nobody, especially if you won’t help us. Your mother though, she greatly insulted one of my warriors,” Latson said.

The girl looked up, looking worried.

“I can’t let that kind of insult go, I demand satisfaction,” Latson said, staring her down. “I could turn your mother over to the warrior she attacked and have her serve him as compensation.

The girl finally spoke in her tongue. She stammered a moment, but still managed a harsh whisper. Dakan translated “She says her mother will never serve. She will go to the ancestors first.”

Latson nodded and pursed her lips. Just then a helicopter flew overhead. Latson pointed upward towards the noise. “Miss, before we showed up, did you ever see one of those?”

Dakan translated. The girl looked away.

“That’s only a taste of our power. If we can defeat your warriors, we can keep your mother in line,” Latson said coldly. The girl made the mistake of making eye contact, then seemed to shrink.

“It would be fair, but it’s not what I really want. What I really want is for you to tell me about this woman. If you do, you’ll be rewarded as the Major said and you’ll stay with your mother. No one else will know you helped us, either.”

The girl started to talk, slowly, hesitantly. She gave her name as Nel, said she had seen the woman as part of a slave and supply caravan moving through only three days ago. At the time she’d been assigned to inspect and give a bit of water to all of them. She remembered Cresswell because she was paler and somehow softer in body than the others, like she was a clan leader’s wife or something who didn’t have to work the fields. Nel was sure she matched the photo. You don’t see a slave like that every day, she was presumably valuable. Accompanying the caravan were a number of warriors who weren’t from her village.

“Where was she going?”

Nel opened her mouth, but stopped herself.

“Where?” Latson pressed.

The intelligence officer said “Nel, we have a deal.”

But Nel was shaking her head, not in disagreement but in confusion. She said something which Dakan translated as “Says she does not know. Now that she thinks on it, the warriors never told her where she was going either. They were going on the south trail, and were to follow the warriors, that’s what she knows.”

“Think harder,” Latson said, glaring at her.

Nel looked terrified and started to plead. Dakan simply translated it as “She does not know, she does not know.”

Latson frowned and clicked her teeth. “Which way was this woman going?” she eventually asked.

“South," Nel replied through Dakan.

“Was she injured? Sick?” Latson asked.

Nel replied and Dakan said “She looked like a slave. On two feet and walking. Fearful of her master, didn’t need to switch her.”

Latson gave Nel a rather hateful look. Nel cringed and seemed to expect some kind of blow, but it didn’t come. Instead Latson sent Nel and her mother back to the group to be moved to a POW camp. A few others were asked some additional general questions, including confirming that a slave caravan went through three days ago, the number of slaves, and which way they were going. They were able to corroborate enough of Nel's story that Latson sent a report back to her superiors that they had picked up the trail. Cresswell was still alive and being moved to some kind of fortified position being established by the Arvo further south. She wanted aerial reconnaissance and planned reconnaissance in force to the south.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 2:57 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:55 am

To: Foreign Minister Simon Alvarado
Subject: Anti-piracy
Encryption: Moderate

Foreign Minister,

I believe this would have been the first official communiqué between our governments if not for the unfortunate events which have unfolded in Gavinium and Ashab recently. With respect to Ayacan issues, I first wish to inform you that our embassy has confirmed that no conscription has been instituted in San Carlo. Our ambassador met with Carlano officials who assured us that the exercises will be coming to an end within a matter of days. If this does not happen, please do not hesitate to contact us again and we will inquire further.

The main subject of this letter has to do with events farther afield: piracy in the Lesser Diols. While anti-piracy defensive systems aboard ships have become increasingly effective and sophisticated, such as those on the MV Tempestia, we’re aware that many smaller vessels and companies operating in and around the Ura Sea cannot afford them. Vice Admiral Franklin has made great progress in reducing piracy, but as the recent attack on the Tempestia demonstrated, one task force simply cannot be everywhere at once. Adiron is therefore seeking additional partners in reducing piracy in the Ura Sea.

Our goal is for there to be zero successful attacks and fewer than ten attempted attacks annually. We must make piracy unprofitable and dangerous enough that desperate south Cetans do not consider it a viable source of income. We invite Gran Chaco to play a part in this for the benefit of all international trade in Cornellia. If your government is at all interested, I propose that a meeting be set up to discuss the particulars.

Gran Chaco’s armed forces have a reputation for effectiveness and professionalism, and your government does have a direct interest in Arcologia through Valcarlos. Furthermore, we already find ourselves working together in Gavinium. My government greatly hopes that this could be the start of increased cooperation between Adiron and Gran Chaco in general.

Sincerely,
Amy Bailey
Secretary of State
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:40 pm

2nd Airborne Infantry Regiment (Prince Uriah's Own Fusliers)
Saeva Insula,
The Lesser Diols

There was a crowded bar in Adiron A skinny dark haired lightly tanned brunette in a dress was talking to a big nosed man at a bar.

"With who?" the woman said.

The big nosed homely man replied, "That’s a good question. I stopped asking it years ago. It’s better
that way."

The Brunette had a sympathetic but interested look. "That’s...terrible."

" No," the man said sadly, "It’s my fault really, for having such frizzy hair, and such an ugly nose.

The woman smiled and played with her hair. "I think you have a cute nose."

The man perked up slightly. "Really? Thanks. My wife says I spend too much time at work. Too much time
providing for her... And her shopping addiction... and crack.

The woman pursed her lips and shook her head. "Why don’t you just leave her?"

Privates Cephas, Laish, Crispus, Hakkoz, and Jahmai were watching the film on a Slick-6 plugged into an old TV they had found on a pirated houseboat they were using as their billet with the rest of their squad. Hakkoz had rigged it up. Mostly what they had managed to get him to pirate were packages of films and they had no idea what they were about so they just watched them in order. They liked these ones where rich Adirans and Noviterans swanned around complaining about how small their cars were, how their wives were lazy whores, how their bosses actually made them lift a few papers now and then. They were hilarious. Everyone in those countries was a gentleman, apparently, but without honour or faith. This sort of Adiran one was common--an ugly, foolish, cowardly man somehow manages to achieve the love of beautiful skinny overly made up pampered women. They also liked the ones from Novitera about men in sleek cars stealing lots of money or shooting lots of people and destroying property for no reason. it was all a good escape from real life.

Every day was tiresome--trying to keep your socks and underwear clean and dry, have a half decent feed, keep your equipment well cleaned and oiled. Sergeant Ithiel would give living hell to a soldier who had an untidy pack or webbing, and anyway it was shameful. You had to keep things up properly; it was disgraceful to malinger or let your comrades down. They had to fight flies, hordes of stingless bees trying to feed on their sweat, leeches, chiggers, mosquitoes and ants. There was labour to do as well, preparing airfields helping the engineers with the grunt work, moving prisoners onto freighters, filling sandbags, digging latrines and graves.

And then there were the other times. One day, while out with a larger patrol they entered a village where several naked female bodies lay spread on the ground. The boys could tell that they were some years older than him. But that didn't make the sight any easier. Each of them looked as though they had succumbed to the weight of many men, and the pools of blood between their legs was testament to that. But in that same village, a man lay strapped to a table.

"Fucking savages," spat Ithiel with grim cold fury. "They're around somewhere near, they didn't finish this poor bastard. They're our men. Fan out in echelon by sections from center to left."

A further two miles through the valley and at another small village, almost totally demolished, they encountered only token resistance, and soon individual Arvo were retreating from the few standing houses. They were firing wild sporadic bursts as they ran away, and one of the Airborne clutched at his throat, with a hand that was already spouting red through his fingers.

"Told you to keep your head down you stupid asshole," muttered Ithiel. "Call in the horse..."

Later, the troops would bitterly complain about that, but at the time they simply responded; Hakkoz was on the manpack radio calling in the attack helicopter to rain down its gatling gun around the fleeing Arvo; rocket pods and mortars tiangulated on their position.

Private Cephas did not gossip about the women in the movie. He could not help but think of the empty bloody holes where the men had been mutilated by the Arvo. And that they had not taken any prisoners that day.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:49 pm

To: Director of Foreign Affairs Mitchell Thromright
Subject: Ura Sea

Director,

I hope this message finds you well. Adiron was as surprised as anyone to learn of the brazen attack on the MV Tempestia. We hope that the crew is recovering from their harrowing experience in the Ura Sea, and I’m sure we are all thankful for the effectiveness of the Tempestia’s defenses. The MV Cora Nevis illustrates the sort of tragedy which can befall a ship once boarded.

Anti-piracy defensive systems aboard ships have become increasingly effective and sophisticated, yet they cannot be expected to solve the problem on their own. The Tempestia and its owners were fortunate, as many smaller vessels and companies operating in and around the Ura Sea cannot afford the same technology. Vice Admiral Franklin has made great progress in reducing piracy, but as the recent attack on the Tempestia demonstrated, one task force simply cannot be everywhere at once. Task Force 52 did apprehend the gang which attacked the Tempestia, but it was unable to prevent the attack in the first place. Lives are still at risk to Arcologian piracy.

In light of the attack on a Valdian vessel and following talks with other regional powers, Adiron is seeking additional partners in reducing piracy in the Ura Sea. Our goal is zero successful boardings and less than ten attempted attacks annually. We must render piracy unprofitable to those desperate enough to consider it a viable source of income. We invite Valdiu to play a part in ensuring that the Tempestia and Cora Nevis attacks never happen again.

Island nations like Valdiu rely heavily on international trade, including with Adiron. It is vital to the regional economy that nations take steps to protect shipping. If this interests your government at all, we hope a meeting can be arranged through our embassies to discuss the particular details.

Sincerely,
Amy Bailey
Secretary of State
Last edited by Hittanryan on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Valdiu
Minister

Founded: Jun 25, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Valdiu » Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:18 pm

REPUBLIC OF VALDIU
Onward Audaciously

DIRECTORY OF FOREIGN AFFAIRS

ENCRYPTION: | MAXIMUM | HIGH | MEDIUM | [LOW] | NONE |

ADDRESSED TO:
Adiran Secretary of State Amy Bailey

SUBJECT:
RE: Ura Sea

Madame Secretary,

We thank you for your concern about the well-being of our citizens. Rest assured, the injuries sustained by the crew were minor, and they were returned to Valdiu safely.

The Defense Committee of the Republic of Valdiu convened shortly after the attack on the M/V Tempestia and agreed that a policy of intervention against piracy would be beneficial to Valdiu and the world at large; unfortunately, bureaucratic processes and the handling other pertinent issues slowed preparations for the deployment of Merit-class destroyers to the Ura Sea. However, such delays did not weaken our resolve to end the threat of piracy so that all may benefit.

I'm happy to, on behalf of the Republic of Valdiu, accept your invitation to aid in the destruction of piracy in the Ura Sea. We cordially invite Adiran diplomats to convene in Prevale to discuss, or we may go to New Laconia at your convenience. May this be the beginning of a fruitful partnership.

~Mitchell Thromright
Secretary of Foreign Affairs
Director of the Embassy
mthromright@valdiu.vld

Republic of Valdiu
Onward Audaciously
Questions? Comments? Contact: public.inquiry@valdiu.vld
Contact the President: president@valdiu.vld

All objects, symbols, and formats contained herein this communique are copyright © 2003-2018 Republic of Valdiu. All rights reserved.
Last edited by Valdiu on Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
| [0] | [1] | [2] | [3] | [4] | [5] | [6] | [7] |
[Mobilization Underway]
Population: 32,263,671
Military size: ~350,000, T3R: 2.7/1
The Republic of Valdiu
16-year old and social democrat
Jazz trombonist, cynic and student journalist
I enjoy CS:GO.
I hate the idea that someone out there hates me. I even hate that Al-Qaeda hates me. I think if they got to know me they wouldn’t hate me.

President Alexander Sterling | Vice President Aaron Victoria | Director of Foreign Affairs Mitchell Thromright

-
Currently Playing | Mr. Rogers 2020

Republica De Gran Chaco
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 29, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Republica De Gran Chaco » Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:24 pm

To: Secretary of State Amy Bailey
Subject: Anti-Piracy

Secretary Bailey,

We thank you for your prompt response to our inquiry regarding San Carlo. It is comforting to know that they are standing down, though the whole timing of this exercise has been less than ideal.

As for the matter of anti-piracy patrols. We agree that piracy is a scourge, and we would love to see it wiped from this earth. We already run our own patrols around Valcarlos, but it is expensive for us, and our navy is a small one. We would be more than willing to meet with you to find out what role we would be able to play in such a noble undertaking.

Simón Alvarado,
Minister of Foreign Affairs, Gran Chaco
كان التيز سمين

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:15 pm

Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain's House,
Fineberg, New Edom

Soundtrack

A number of the Royal Master of Offices' guests, a number female, all minimally clothed, all playing and splashing and having fun (or otherwise splayed languidly over towels and chairs) and a number of men of the highest rank of his inner circle were enjoying the pleasantly warm day, in a pool area surrounded by deck chairs, a wet bar, sun umbrellas and with discreetly mute or deaf servants (that is to say only those men or women who could be utterly relied upon) present.

Blowing off steam after hours of planning and policy making was, General John Ashdod reflected, a fine thing to do at Prince Enoch's 'town house' which took up most of a city block and was of course well guarded as all such places were in the Edomite capital. You had to pass a cordon of armed guards and barricades to get through, and so only the best people could go. And when he arrived, only the most comme il faut were there. Only the most 'modern' wives or proper women, and only the mistresses known to be welcome discreetly present.

But such decadence! He grinned as he was invited to go to one of the spare bedrooms and change into swimming trunks! Showing off his rather hairy but compactly strong physique was a daring thing to do. If anyone truly zealous caught them all the government would probably collapse. For he counted more than one Council Minister present--Geta of course, was drawn like a moth to the flame at the words 'bathing suit party'.

As he came down to the glass doors that led to the patio, he recognized others. Geta's mistress-private secretary, Lara. Instead of a conventional top, she wore a pair of star-shaped pasties that, despite their best effort to cover her, came up short. The pasties were by no means small, but they looked miniature stuck on the midsections, like fruit stickers on watermelons. On the bottom, she wore a baby blue thong, which I only knew because of the thin string around her tiny waist--the rest of the thong was swallowed completely by the surrounding flesh which bounced and jounced, as laughing, she chased another woman with a water gun. The other woman, wearing two hearts above and one heart below, the back end barely flossing behind, was Ashdod's own mistress, Principessa, of part Terician and part Cornellian background, who was laughing and trying to spray water from her own gun back.

Not far off, dancing together almost romantically, were the mistresses of General Daniels and Prince Enoch, themselves also in small bikinis, unselfconsciously wriggling curvaceous hips and shaking voluptuous upper torsos. Ashdod almost laughed to himself as he imagined Geta barely knowing where to focus his gaze.

Prince Enoch, who looked splendidly olive tanned, athletic and charming, put an arm around Ashdod as he came out. "hello my friend. I hope you will relax and enjoy yourself."

"Thank you my friend. The drinks, the food, the ladies...so splendid." Ashdod enthused. "I was expecting a trip to Victory Gentleman's Club but you as usual exceed yourself."

"How could we not celebrate? Things are going so well." Prince Enoch smiled at him. "At the King's behest I had a letter written to Ambassador Redstone. Not inviting him to this of course. Something more appropriate."

"Of course," said Ashdod.

"Not that I am malevolent," he said, watching his mistress slow dancing with her friend with a warm smile. "I love many things Adiran."

To: Ambassador Redstone of Adiron
Subject: Dinner
Encryption: Hand Delivered in Sealed Packet

My dear Mr. Redstone,

It has been too long since I have had the personal pleasure of your company, and wondered if you would be kind enough to attend a small dinner I am having at my residence this evening. It will be formal casual, and will be a light supper as of course all of us are working very hard.

I have the honour to be,
Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:11 am

From Kingdom of the Light

Government Office
New Laconia, Adiron

Being on the other side of the region, Adiron was several hours ahead of Gavinium. At the time of the initial strike, the Assembly had not yet convened for the day. In the morning hours the President called an emergency staff meeting with Snyder and Ferrain just as the first drones entered Gavinian airspace.

Snyder looked dumbstruck. “George, have you lost your mind?!” Snyder hissed, forgetting the usual courtesy. “You attacked Gavinium without a declaration of war! Fuck me…why wasn’t I told?!”

“Calm down, Mrs. Snyder,” Ferrain said. “We could not wait any longer. The other co-belligerents have already begun naval and amphibious operations, if we waited any longer the risk to our own forces—”

“Yeah, great, Guy, go spout off your jarhead talk to the Assembly, to the press, god damn!” she said, thoroughly unimpressed.

Ferrain bristled at this but Rowan intervened. “Dana, Guy is right about one thing,” he said. “A fast, opening surprise attack has the best chance of bringing down Lucian’s regime quickly with minimal loss of life on both sides. It also prevents an Imperial ally from dominating Gavinium’s fate alone.”

“But you can’t just do this on your own! It’s…bare minimum it’s on the grey side of legal,” she said. “And we’re going to catch absolute hell for it if it gets out.”

“Gets out?” Rowan asked. “We’re not hiding anything. We’re going to call an emergency session of the Assembly immediately. I need you to take our communications and turn it into a convincing argument that will get us the votes we need.”

“No, listen, George I’m your advisor, you don’t need to do the routine with me. You need…did you attack them alone?” Snyder said, eyes flashing.

“No, there is a coalition consisting of the Noviterans, Chacanos, and apparently the Edomites who have all already commenced an attack on the Gavinian coast. They have declared war already along with the Shrailleeni, who are not yet in theater,” Ferrain explained.

“And we’re part of that coalition?” Snyder asked, raising her eyebrows.

“We still need to establish a direct line to New Edom, but Secretary Bailey agreed that for the sake of the Gavinian people, we ought to work together,” Ferrain explained.

“Argh…all right, give me a moment to think of a way to salvage this…” Snyder said, massaging her temples. “Tell me what you’ve done, everything. We’ll need to get the votes together quick. You’ll need to talk to Eddings, send Bailey to talk to her people.”

Eddings’ reaction was rather predictable. He’d been sipping the tea he’d been offered, but now he put it down and ignored it for the rest of the meeting. As Rowan spoke he started shaking his head and exclaimed “Mr. President, war? We can’t just vote on this, we need to discuss it! There have to be alternatives!”

“Mr. Eddings, I agree with you entirely,” Rowan said, holding a hand up. “In an ideal world there would be alternatives. The coalition, especially the Shrailleeni, have apparently exhausted their diplomatic options. A mere condemnation by the Shrailleeni was enough to get their assets seized and put their people in grave danger. We have no idea how Lucian will react to further provocations or even basic diplomacy. It could put our own people at risk. Messages have even been sent to Gavinian forces appealing to their sense of patriotism and justice. Some individual Gavinian troops have surrendered, but Lucian himself apparently has no intention of negotiating. This is our last resort, and our only chance to aid the people of Gavinium.”

“But what do you want to do? Invade?” Eddings asked, still looking incredulous.

“As part of a coalition, yes,” Rowan replied. “It’s a humanitarian intervention against a rogue regime. We want to reestablish good governance in Gavinium following an illegal coup d’etat.”

“This could kill…thousands, tens of thousands,” the Green leader said, a haunted look in his eye.

“If it’s drawn out, if it’s drawn out,” Rowan said, raising a hand as though he was trying to calm down a spooked horse. “Nobody elected Lucian. He murdered his predecessor. Maximian was popular. By working with Gavinian expats, other nations, and the Gavinian people themselves we want to settle this quickly and decisively.”

“How? Do you have a plan?”

“We do,” Rowan said. “We’re going to use our fleet in Behatza to achieve air superiority over Gavinium, then deploy an expeditionary force alongside the coalition.”

“Troops on the ground! Mr. President, I’ll be frank, I don’t know if my caucus is going to agree,” Eddings said, shaking his head once again.

“I understand completely the reservations. Secretary Bailey felt the same way, but when confronted with the facts, she realized we are looking at a major humanitarian crisis otherwise,” Rowan said.

Eddings looked unconvinced, so he continued. “That said, I really do think it would be best for your party if they backed this. If you don’t, well, that’s the end of my government, isn’t it? Our coalition is dissolved and it’ll mean new elections. John Pendergast will run again and likely win the leadership. There will be no place in his government for people like Bailey and Bluford—and that assumes our side even wins.”

“Yes, I’m aware of all of that. That’s why I’m still here,” Eddings said, setting his jaw. “But the question my caucus is going to ask is if this crisis in Gavinium is really worth Adiron entering into a war? There is no other way?”

“The Shrailleeni Empire, New Edom, and Gran Chaco have already declared war. Their forces are already moving,” Rowan said before looking briefly dejected. “It’s regrettable, but there is going to be a war in Gavinium whether Adiron joins it or not. We can either be a part of this effort and have a seat at the table, or we can stand by and potentially let human rights go largely ignored by the other powers involved.”

“I know that, Mr. President. But you’ve seen my caucus. They are tired of being rolled by your party into interventions. They dealt with that with DeGroot, they’re tired of it,” Eddings protested.

Rowan nodded and chewed his lip a moment. “All right. Who are you worried about?”

“Sara Paquin and her people. You know who’s with her, of course,” Eddings said.

“How could I forget?” Rowan said with a brief smile. “Listen, Secretaries Bailey and Bluford have both been made aware of everything. They’re going to be meeting with Chairwoman Swan and other members of the left’s caucus. Sara and her people should be there. Plus Sara would be infuriated if she knew what Lucian is doing to feminists, I promise you. I’ve seen it.”

“Why, what is he doing?” Eddings asked, frowning.

“Well, it’s gritty, but this was taken by someone in our embassy,” Rowan said as he thumbed through his folder and slid it across the table.

Eddings’ eyes widened as he parsed what he was looking at. “No…”

“I’m afraid so,” Rowan said grimly before looking at him intently. “Merrill, we have to stop this man. We can do it, I know we can.”

“And, if I’m still President when this is all said and done, the next part of the stimulus will include billions of additional funding for ESS initiatives. Renewable energy, sustainability, all of it. That means green jobs right when we need them the most. Your party suffered at the polls for not focusing enough on bread-and-butter issues. This will give you something you can point to. Your party won’t get any of that with Pendergast, and Saito will cut what’s already there.”

It was a cold morning outside as Adiron’s top lawmakers filed into the National Assembly in clumps. The usual office chatter was gone, replaced by tense whispers. Some were oblivious and trying to figure it out. Others had a good idea. A few whispers of “Gavinium” could be heard in the Opposition as MAs started to take their seats.

Once everyone was seated, the main doors to the chamber opened and President Rowan walked up to the front of the room. He made a few cursory greetings to MAs on his way, but nothing related to what he was about to say, and he didn’t break stride.

Upon reaching the podium he looked up at the legislature that had put him in his current position, looking briefly at faces of allies and rivals alike, then cleared his throat and spoke clearly and methodically. “Ladies and Gentlemen of the Assembly, the Shrailleeni Empire has been attacked. By decree, Lucian of Gavinium has seized the assets of Shrailleeni nationals and practitioners of the Leenic faith. Those people now have nothing and we have no idea what will happen to them. It is entirely likely that this is an extension of the very public purge of feminists carried out by Lucian. Make no mistake, this is an atrocity in the making,”

“The Shrailleeni Empire helped Adiron in our time of need, at the height of the Palisades Crisis. They continue to aid us there as part of the CPO.”

“On top of that, Lucian’s regime is lawless. In contrast to King Maximian, Lucian rules by fiat. In one stroke he has destroyed Gavinium’s financial sector. Adiran capital is in full flight out of Gavinian banks, costing investors billions. Lucian’s seizure of Shrailleeni assets was in response to nothing more than a public condemnation. This is an act of collective punishment that violates every norm of diplomacy we know. He is in the process of outlawing political opposition and purging minorities from his country. And finally, frankly, he personally assassinated Maximian in an act more befitting the medieval era. Lucian’s is a rogue regime.”

“An international coalition has formed to support the Shrailleen and reestablish rule of law in Gavinium. The first steps have been taken to forming a Gavinian government-in-exile. I have directed the State Department to contact this coalition and the Committee for National Liberation with the intention of supporting their cause.”

“However, as of now, so far as we know, open hostilities have broken out between coalition and Gavinian forces in the northern Delphic Sea,” Rowan said gravely. A chorus of whispers went out across the Assembly, the loudest being in the Opposition.

“This brings me to why I called this session. The Shrailleeni Empire has appealed to us for aid. In response to this and in solidarity with their coalition, I propose a motion for a declaration of war on Gavinium Magnus.”

The chamber erupted into a buzz of conversation, shouts, and attempts by the Speaker to restore order. Tom Alvarado sat up straight after looking rather listless. Holly Lemay looked pale and glanced around at the others.

“I knew it! More DeGroot interventionism!” crowed Liberal Larry Tsai. Saito was frowning and shaking his head. Rowan ignored this.

Saito said rather proudly “President Rowan, I can safely say that the Opposition does not see how this is in Adiron’s national interest. You are embarking on the same kind of military adventure as your predecessor while we are in a recession and while your government is still fitfully trying to deescalate tensions here in Ceti. Furthermore, you are about to rush into this with no plan.”

“This crisis has been unfolding for some time, Mr. Saito. Recall that Lucian’s reign began with his assassination of King Maximian, followed by the dismembering and distribution of various body parts around the region. Our people reasonably anticipated trouble and have been planning contingencies this entire time,” Rowan said calmly. “Our objective is the removal of Lucian and establishment of a government which will be bound by the rule of law rather than the whims of a single man. A government that will respect the rights and freedoms of its people as King Maximian did.”

“How long will that take?” Saito jabbed.

“Given the weight of the international coalition bearing down on Gavinium, we expect it to last a matter of weeks,” Rowan replied.

“Based on what intelligence?” Saito countered.

“This is based on the combined efforts of the State Department, War Department, the entire Adiran intelligence community, and our prospective coalition partners. It’s reliable,” Rowan replied.

Saito got a gleam in his eye. “We’ve all heard of short wars turning into long ones despite having accurate intelligence at the outset. How many billions do you intend to take out of the pockets of Adiran taxpayers who already yearn for relief? How many Adiran lives are you prepared to sacrifice after you ran a campaign promising peace? No, the Opposition will not be responsible for what happens here, and we hope that there enough sane voices in the government to block this adventure, Mr. President.” There was applause and words of fierce agreement from the Opposition caucus.

“And I hope you, Mr. Saito, have an explanation for why you saw fit to abandon both the people of Gavinium and our friends in the Shrailleeni Empire. What good will Adiron’s word be if we stand up for neither our principles nor our friends?” Rowan asked, with the government applauding in rebuttal to Saito.

“A nice bit of theater, Mr. President, although your remarks are not quite as cutting as your predecessor maybe,” Saito said rather dismissively. “The fact remains that you are ready to declare war on a whim. There was no impetus for Adiron to involve itself in a Belisarian dynastic squabble.

At this, Rowan raised a sheet of paper. “Mr. Saito, I have here in my hand a direct appeal for our support by Foreign Minister Zattem Resbruck of the Shrailleeni Empire. Excerpts will be made available to the entire Assembly—although matters concerning the national security of both our nations will be redacted.”

He then raised two packets. “Here I have two reports from Treasury Secretary Pendergast. One is on the Meridian Bankruptcy, saying just how close a call it was. A full-blown investor panic in the financial sector was narrowly avoided after a company worth $450 billion found itself in trouble. Second is a report on the state of Gavinium’s financial market. The Adiran and Noviteran financial sectors have effectively made a run on the Gavinian banking sector after witnessing Lucian’s willingness to interfere directly in his nation’s economy. Losses to Adiran investors are expected to be at least as much as the Meridian bankruptcy, likely more. Furthermore, Gavinium’s financial sector is only one of many that Adirans are invested in. Lucian’s reckless policy decisions, made abruptly and by fiat, risks our entire economy in this climate.”

“There is our own naval base just across the Vorin Strait. Immediately following the assassination of King Maximian, Lucian apparently sent communiqués across the region indiscriminately seeking foreign recognition,” he said, glancing around the room. “He offered anything to anyone, including basing rights, defensive pacts, trade deals, it seems all he cared about was that his rule be legitimized by some foreign power. We never know what Lucian will do next, but his erratic actions do ultimately threaten Adiran national security.”

“Finally, there is the plight of the Gavinian people. Some of you have already seen the perversions of justice inflicted upon the nation by Lucian. Show trials and gruesome public executions of political opponents, ranging from Maximian loyalists to feminists to religious minorities. This was once a peaceful nation, physically and financially secure. It will be again, if Adiron has anything to say about it.”

Saito folded his arms. The motion went up for a vote. The Speaker called each MA by name. Tom Alvarado and other SDP MAs winced as they heard a couple of Greens defect. Rowan was watching the Opposition like a hawk as they voted, occasionally glancing at Saito’s confident face. Not one defection from the Opposition.

There weren’t enough defections from the Government, however. Along roughly partisan lines, the motion to declare war passed 305-295. It was not what Rowan wanted, but it was what he needed right now. Adiron was now officially at war with Gavinium.

To: Foreign Minister Zattem Resbruck
Subject: Gavinium
Encryption: Hand-delivered by diplomatic courier

Your Excellency,

I hope this letter finds you in good spirits and health in spite of these troubled times. Gavinium has weighed upon my mind and the President’s since Lucian took power. The manner by which he deposed King Maximian was barbaric and disgraceful, and it seems it was an indication of things to come. We could not in good conscience stand by and let him abuse your people.

When I presented your letter to the President, it had an immediate effect. My government had been considering the possibility of direct intervention vs. economic and diplomatic pressure, but it is increasingly unclear that Lucian cares a whit for his people or his country. Your appeal for our support was what made up his mind, declaring that the friendship between our nations demanded it.

Furthermore many of my colleagues were very much moved by the plight of the Shrailleeni peoples in Gavinium. Such wanton persecution must ultimately pose the question of “who’s next?”

You may have seen through the news already, but the Assembly has just voted to declare war in solidarity with your coalition. The vote was tense; we were not entirely sure if it would pass, otherwise we would have contacted you sooner. Our naval forces in Behatza are being committed to carry out reconnaissance and strike at key military airfields. An expeditionary force is being organized as well. In the interests of prosecuting the war and avoiding miscommunications or accidents, we wish to coordinate with your forces, including intelligence sharing, military planning, and preparing for our ultimate goal following the end of hostilities. We are similarly contacting the other coalition members.

It is tragic that it has come to this, but we hope that through international cooperation we can restore the rights and freedoms of the Gavinian people.

Sincerely,
Amy Bailey
Secretary of State

To: Foreign Minister Hosidius Geta
Subject: Gavinium
Encryption: Hand-delivered by diplomatic courier

Your Excellency,

I write to you now to inform you that my government intends to intervene in Gavinium Magnus to remove Lucian from power. The Assembly has just voted for a declaration of war on Lucian’s regime. Lucian’s acts include regicide and political repression, and they have done possibly irreparable damage to regional financial markets. His regime is clearly unstable, but it hinges on Lucian himself. If he can be deposed, we believe it is possible to restore a functioning government in short order.

We were very much moved by the plight of the Shrailleeni peoples in Gavinium. Such wanton persecution must ultimately pose the question of “who’s next?” Ambassador Redstone also spoke admiringly of New Edom’s resolve on display at Count Sharra’s villa. He appreciates, as I do, your government being so forthcoming with its intentions.

We did not inform you earlier because our government was in deliberations about our response and because of operational security. If you saw the political drama in the Assembly, you can see we were not certain we had the votes for a full declaration of war. Now that the measure has passed, we are committed to your coalition. Naval forces from Behatza have moved across the Vorin Strait to northern Gavinian waters, and our tentative plans involve reconnaissance and strikes on key military airfields. An expeditionary force is being organized as well. In the interests of prosecuting the war and avoiding miscommunications or accidents, we wish to coordinate with your forces, including intelligence sharing, military planning, and preparing for our ultimate goal following the end of hostilities. We are similarly contacting the other coalition members.

It is tragic that it has come to this, but we hope that through international cooperation we can restore the rights and freedoms of the Gavinian people.

Sincerely,
Amy Bailey
Secretary of State

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:12 am

From Kingdom of the Light

National Assembly
New Laconia

The National Assembly was flooded with calls, from committee chairs all the way down to freshmen like Holly Lemay. There were calls which were broadly supportive of ousting a loony who ruined their stock portfolio but they just wanted more information. Holly was able to handle these no problem.

She got her first taste of public outcry with a man identifying himself as a Mr. Hyland, a real estate agent in her district. “Assemblywoman, you voted to declare war on Gavinium, just out of the blue. Can you explain why wasn’t there more diplomacy?”

Her advisors Steph Pauli and Justin Hoover had put talking points in front of her. “Well, that’s a fair question. We really didn’t think we could negotiate with him after what he did to the Shrailleen. I’ve seen the reports, the things he’s done. This Lucian is a really bad guy.”

“Really? You and the rest of your party had time to read the reports before voting in this emergency session of the Assembly?” the man said, utterly unconvinced.

“…yes,” Holly said, looking up at Pauli.

They heard something like a snort on the other end of the line. “And really, the region is full of bad guys that pose a worse threat than Gavinium. Why this one?”

She shuffled her papers quietly and tried to affect her Assembly persona. “Mr. Hyland, I happen to agree with the President. Lucian is a rogue monarch who is wrecking his own country and threatening Adiran national interests, both in security and the economy.”

“So in response to that, your party wants to spread us out all over creation when the threat’s right here at home in Ceti, and spend however many billions on a war? I’d love to hear you explain that one to me,” he said.

Holly looked at Pauli, who dragged a finger across her throat. This wasn’t going anywhere. Guy was probably a Liberal looking for a good soundbite.

“Listen, Mr. Hyland, I think I gotta go,” she said, and hung up.

Pauli stood there stunned. Hoover nearly jumped and stared at her wide-eyed. “What—what the hell was that?”

“I thought you said to hang up?” Holly asked Pauli innocently.

“Yeah, hang up, but don’t just hang up!” Pauli said. “You know, wind down, agree to disagree, repeat your position, then politely say there are other constituents concerned about the same issue, offer a callback if he’d like. Never just hang up on a constituent!”

The next constituent was sobbing into the receiver. “Ms. Lemay my son is not answering the phone!” she said before breaking down again. “He’s a student studying abroad in Gavinium City They’re saying…he’s in danger, they’re monitoring the Internet, closing down communications. I have no idea what’s going to happen!” She then sobbed loudly.

Holly was now in tears herself, but Pauli was shaking her head, waving at her to say something. “Ma’am, Tess? Can I call you Tess? It’s okay, I’m going to help…”

“Assemblywoman, what can you do? If there’s a war, my son…oh god!” she said.

Holly was looking increasingly upset and was silently pleading Pauli for help. She had no idea what she could do. Pauli awkwardly ambled around the desk and whispered something in Holly’s ear. She looked confused, then said “The embassy in Gavinium City is trying to help people. I can see if I can call them. He might be there,” she said.

Pauli looked at her abruptly and shook her head, mouthing ‘Won’t get through.’ Tess on the phone and said hopefully “Really? Adirans are safe at the embassy? His name is Henry Rodriguez.”

“Uh, I mean, I can try to contact them, but it might not get through. The embassy is closed,” Holly explained hesitantly.

“What? You said they’re helping,” Tess said, the fear quickly flooding back.

“Well I mean they’re closed, but the ambassador’s still there,” Holly tried to say.

“They’re trapped? Oh god they’re trapped!” Pauli and Hoover both had pained expressions on their face as she started bawling again.

Holly covered the receiver and sobbed as well. “Ohmigosh, why did we do this?!” she said, staring at Pauli.

Government Office
New Laconia

DEMOCRACY YES, EMPIRE NO

NO WAR FOR THE BANKS

I CAN’T AFFORD A LOBBYIST

RETURN TO DIPLOMACY

BOSSES AND BANKS LOVE OUR ENDLESS WARS

ROWAN LIED

Those were the sorts of slogans on picket signs which dotted the photos and videos of the ensuing antiwar protests. ANBC showed a speaker wearing a fleece jacket and jeans speaking into a microphone. “This war is only being waged for the benefit of the one percent!” There were cheers from the crowd. “A few bankers at Newell-Nolan panic and lose some money, and suddenly we’re at war! That mortgage policy the bankers didn’t like was reversed! And it was mortgage forgiveness, to help the people! But god forbid anyone suggest real financial reform, even with millions out of work because of the greed of the one percent!

“No, we have to kowtow to our masters on Terranova Street. So instead of bothering to negotiate or talk to Gavinium at all, the President immediately decided to jump on some kind of bandwagon with the Edomites, Noviterans, and Chacanos to attack and carve up a sovereign state!”

“Knew this would happen,” Dana Snyder grumbled, muting the TV.

“What a crock. DeGroot declared war against New Othman when Targan went off his meds,” Cruise said, crunching on a handful of potato chip crumbs from a largely empty bag.

“You think that’s gonna occur to dumbasses who say ‘meat is murder’?” Snyder said bitterly. “These kinds of people have been fired up since the Palisades Crisis. They were protesting under DeGroot. I don’t know if the Imps invaded again if they’d even want to fight back.”

Ferrain stared at Snyder. “That’s insane. How could anyone think that?”

“They think more diplomacy is always possible, that more dialogue will necessarily avoid war,” Snyder said.

Ferrain snorted. “Nonsense.”

“Yeah, well, that nonsense is gonna be sand in our crotch,” she said, glaring at the former brigadier and jabbing a finger at him. “You’re gonna include me in these defense powwows from now on.”

Ferrain bristled a bit. “That’s need to know.”

“Yeah, and I know things that you need to know,” she said pointedly.

“These protests are loud but they’re small. Only a few hundred people in the capital and in Puerto Rojas. Besides, what are you talking about Eddings, anyway? He voted in favor of the war,” Ferrain replied.

Snyder threw up her hands. “God, you don’t even know, do you? Do you? It never occurred to you?”

“What?”

“We had the Greens by the balls. They just lost a bunch of seats. We co-opted the left through Bluford. They fucked with us during the—stop making that face—the election. We had leverage; they couldn’t risk the coalition. We were gonna string ‘em along for at least a couple of years make them kiss our ring, get our agenda passed, then start throwing them a couple of bones.”

“Instead you and Paul took all of my plans and stuck ‘em in a fire all over Gavinium. Fuckin’ Gavinium! Now we can’t muscle Eddings. Greens love their stupid activists. He’s going to say his constituents are demanding action and point to ANBC over there. You watch. Meanwhile, there will be no deals with Saito. He’ll see we’re weak and he’ll be circling like a buzzard. You military jocks have created a potential crisis for this government. That means you’re going to give me access from now on,” Snyder said, pointing at Ferrain again.

“We will need to discuss that,” Ferrain said stiffly. “And I wonder if you have considered the political impact of steadily allowing New Edom to close in around us. Peace deal or no, they intend to support their allies, our enemies. I for one remain skeptical of a permanent military presence in Arcologia and believe they intended to make a statement by deliberately declaring the Union a protectorate while we were there. Furthermore, previous governments were lax about western Belisaria. New Edom was already in the Delvian States, now they’ll be in Gavinium. Who’s next? Vorindun? Garza? If we lose control of the Vorin Strait, we might as well close Behatza tomorrow.”

“All right all right,” Cruise said, holding up a pudgy hand. “What good is this doing, huh? Can we focus? What are we gonna do about these damn protestors? We got a line? How about DeGroot’s line from New Othman? Bringing down a tyrant, defending democracy, all that?”

“We’re not defending democracy, Gavinium isn’t one,” Martin corrected him. Cruise looked at him irritably but Martin hadn’t looked up from his phone. “Plus the injured party who appealed to us for help is the Shrailleeni Empire.”

“Well we can’t tell the truth and say we’re racing the Edomites to the capital just so they can’t take Gavinium over all by themselves,” Snyder said.

“Not when you put it that way,” Ferrain conceded, “but surely we can allude to what will happen if left solely to the Edomites? People in several parties, even the Opposition, are wary of Edomite expansionism, rightfully so in my opinion.”

“And we just went on a big old state visit with lots of photo ops with them,” Snyder pointed out. “That state visit where we relied on them to fix our problems in Ceti. Remember that one? We were all there? No, we’ll look like morons if we do that. Besides, you’re going to try to talk geopolitical balance of power to those idiots in the street who don’t know what a mortgage is?”

“You are the political advisor,” Ferrain said curtly.

“We gotta keep it simple. Tug on people’s heartstrings,” Snyder said. “Get as much photo and video of Lucian’s abuses as we can, get the sob stories into print. We add in the more complex stuff, Behatza, the financial sector, the Shrailleeni letter, almost like an afterthought.”

“But that’s the important part…” Ferrain started to say.

Snyder thumped her chest. “Me political advisor! Got it? Now where do we start?”

“The ambassador never made it out of the embassy in Gavinium City,” Martin said abruptly. “He might have some accounts.”

“I’m sure as the military advances they will find evidence of Lucian’s crimes,” Ferrain said. “Admiral Henriksen is already cooperating with Gavinian defectors. I’m sure there’s a reason they’ve turned on their usurper king.”

“Good, then talk to Paul and get some correspondents embedded with them. We don’t want to miss it if Gavinians throw flowers at our troops as they roll through, or the tearful expressions of gratitude about how we saved their lives from a dictator. Then that plays right next to those protestors say it isn’t worth it and that war is always wrong.”

Holly Lemay looked like she’d been struck dumb. “What?”

“I’m going to Gavinium,” her boyfriend Chris Olsen repeated. “They’re taking correspondents, a buddy of mine just said. I need to reply quick.”

“But…the war! You could die over there!” she exclaimed.

“Holly, we covered a war together before, and this time I’ll be with Adirans the whole time. It won’t be like Harbourtown,” he said.

“Why though?”

He hesitated a moment, scratching his head. “I didn’t want to tell you, you’ve been busy, but…I’ve honestly been going stir crazy these last couple months just covering politics here. It feels like I’m not doing anything with the election over, and people know I’m dating you. They think I’ve taken a side. My sources on the real stories are drying up.”

“You’re the only reason I haven’t left sooner, but Holly, I gotta get out again now that this is happening,” he said, looking at her earnestly.

This wasn’t the first time it occurred to Holly that she really wasn’t a journalist, that whatever motivated Chris wasn’t something she felt, but it certainly stung. “You just gotta…get out. So what, that’s it?”

“What do you mean, that’s it?”

“I just think it’s interesting that you need to get out. Get away, get away from a perfectly good job, get away from, you know, peace, get away from me now that I can’t go with you…”

“Now wait just a damn minute,” Chris said, his expression hardening. “I’m not playing this game. You chose to run and move on from journalism. I knew it was going to mean time apart, but you didn’t want to hear about the details, you wanted to do this and you expected my support. So I supported you the whole way because you mean a lot to me. Seeing how you and I used to work together, for what I thought were the same reasons, you know why I need to go.”

“You know, maybe I don’t. What I thought is that you want the truth, for the truth to get out and translate into positive change. But you can do that anywhere. What I’m seeing in the Assembly is that there’s so much going on in our country right now,” Holly replied, spreading her hands and raising her voice.

“So you could stay here and be content with that, but for some reason you just want to get away. And you’re doing it right when I can’t go with you?” Holly concluded, narrowing her eyes.

“This has nothing to do with you or us,” Chris said firmly.

“Last time you rushed off to Plainterre, I thought I’d never see you again.” she said angrily. “I think it has something to do with me.”

“Well, you did vote for this war,” Chris pointed out.

Holly blinked. “What…but…“ she trailed off. The words didn’t seem to come.

“I’m not going to sit here and argue this forever, Holly,” Chris said, looking her in the eye. “I supported you when you ran for office. I’m asking that you do the same.”

Leaving home on less than ideal terms, Chris Olsen boarded a flight to Novitera as an embedded reporter with the Tenth Airborne. They couldn’t guarantee any way into Gavinium just yet, but by the time he landed he hoped there would be more information. At the very least he'd try to meet this Colonel Crook or his PAO.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:48 am

To: Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain
Subject: Dinner
Encryption: Hand Delivered in Sealed Packet

Your Excellency,

I happily accept your invitation. It has been entirely too long, the last time we had a chance to meet privately like this was aboard your yacht some months ago.

Regards,
David Redstone
Ambassador to New Edom

To: Acting President Thomas Lalery
Subject: Succession
Encryption: Hand-delivered through diplomatic courier, eyes only

Your Excellency,

I hope you don’t think we’ve forgotten about you or events in New Edom. We were of course grieved to learn that President Nicanor’s health has started to fail to such an extent. The question now is if he will recover enough to resume his duties in the foreseeable future, and where we go from here.

Regards,
Paul Fortner
Secretary of War
Last edited by Hittanryan on Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents