NATION

PASSWORD

The Least Worst System (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:40 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

"I'm afraid your Ministry of Health must be misinformed, and I'm not sure how you can be considered to be treating LGBT individuals with compassion when they are effectively disenfranchised and imprisoned if they are outed," Bailey remarked. "It's little better than your allies in the Imperium, really."

Prince Enoch raised his eyebrows. "Well, they are criminals and enemies of the state in some cases, so we treat them as compassionately as such persons may be. For example excessive flogging, whipping, deprivation of food and water, are all forbidden I assure you. But flogging itself? Soldiers in our army and sailors in our Navy are often punished by beating. A few few blows never ruined anyone's life, Madame Secretary."

Enoch seemed determined to end the more conceptual discussion, and by the look on Bailey's face it wasn't clear she was. "That is correct, we practice religious tolerance in spite of those who mean us harm. We don't sacrifice religious liberty for security."

The debate, however, was at an end. "I was told that there are human rights watchdog groups within the Chamber of Deputies. I would speak with them about LGBT rights as well as the Arvo, but I would like to know more about this group before the visit. As you say, your government as a whole considers LGBT individuals to be sinners and deviants. Does this watchdog group feel the same way? Have they expressed any concerns about the treatment of LGBT groups as a whole or merely the extrajudicial nature of some of the punishments just recently?"

"The Special Investigations Unit naturally views LBGT as criminals, but criminals must be treated in a humanitarian way." he explained. "Currently they are busy gathering evidence. Also, between you and me, the Ministry of Police has been uncovering some evidence that the source of support for the assassination of Hesperinus and Ephraim were not associated with LTBG groups in New Edom. However naturally the government is concerned with the secret nature of these groups. This is...all a bit of a tangle."

"I think with respect to both mob violence and government arrests, in addition to the King and Queen, the Ministers of Police and Justice should be present when this matter is discussed, unless one is more relevant than the other," she explained. "I intend to begin the discussion by presenting relevant evidence as well as establishing its credibility, and follow that up with questions to the ministers. I hope to be able to suggest or at least discuss possible changes to the way this investigation is being handled. I don't think, or at least I hope not, that it is your government's intention to be carrying out a witch hunt."

"Do you have any suggestions as to who else should be invited or how such a discussion ought to be structured instead?"

"Let's see: the Committee for Human Rights in the Chamber of Deputies, the Ministries of Police and Justice, the Ministry of Health, and an audience with Their Majesties...I think that should do it, about, of course I will expedite meetings and communications with other agencies as needs must. Where's that waiter?"
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 10, 2011
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:44 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

"The Special Investigations Unit naturally views LBGT as criminals, but criminals must be treated in a humanitarian way." he explained. "Currently they are busy gathering evidence. Also, between you and me, the Ministry of Police has been uncovering some evidence that the source of support for the assassination of Hesperinus and Ephraim were not associated with LTBG groups in New Edom. However naturally the government is concerned with the secret nature of these groups. This is...all a bit of a tangle."

This surprised Bailey. She thought that Enoch had intended to continue feeding her the standard Edomite government line. He'd said he wasn't interested in debate, after all. Why tell her this? She paused just as she was taking a sip of her dwindling glass and studied him.

"That is most surprising, Excellency," she said. "We all saw Homofront apparently claim responsibility, and your government has been most unwavering in its conviction. I know you said between you and me, but I think the President ought to be informed of this before the visit as well, don't you?"

After that she had a few other questions. "So what does this mean, exactly? If this wasn't Homofront or Edomite LGBT groups, then who else is suspected? Can the Minister or perhaps the Committee discuss this matter at the visit or are they not at liberty to do so?"

Once Enoch had replied one way or the other, she concluded by asking "What does your government intend to do if LGBT groups are exonerated of, as you put it, crimes against the state?"

"Let's see: the Committee for Human Rights in the Chamber of Deputies, the Ministries of Police and Justice, the Ministry of Health, and an audience with Their Majesties...I think that should do it, about, of course I will expedite meetings and communications with other agencies as needs must. Where's that waiter?"

"Thank you, I appreciate that very much," Bailey said amiably, having finished off the last of her plate and her wine by now. "This is never an easy thing, but nothing ever gets done by resting on one's laurels and clinging to old ways for their own sake. I think you, Count Lalery, and others who agree with you can understand that."

As if on cue the waiter arrived to take orders for their entrees, bringing any political discussion to a halt.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In-character name of the nation is "Adiron," because I like the name better.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:22 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

This surprised Bailey. She thought that Enoch had intended to continue feeding her the standard Edomite government line. He'd said he wasn't interested in debate, after all. Why tell her this? She paused just as she was taking a sip of her dwindling glass and studied him.

"That is most surprising, Excellency," she said. "We all saw Homofront apparently claim responsibility, and your government has been most unwavering in its conviction. I know you said between you and me, but I think the President ought to be informed of this before the visit as well, don't you?"

"Now now, Madame Secretary, I did not say that Homofront were not responsible. I merely said that the LGBT groups that have been under investigation may not be responsible according to the Ministry of Police," Enoch said, putting up a hand. "Homofront has vowed to continue attacks on our country and on our officials, and has urged our Queen in particular to meet their demands. Probably because they mistake her compassion for weakness."

After that she had a few other questions. "So what does this mean, exactly? If this wasn't Edomite LGBT groups, then who else is suspected? Can the Minister or perhaps the Committee discuss this matter at the visit or are they not at liberty to do so?"

Prince Enoch clucked his tongue. "This is hardly the best setting for this discussion," he said reprovingly. "I would like to recommend that it be set for discussion during the Visit, would you not agree?"

Once Enoch had replied one way or the other, she concluded by asking "What does your government intend to do if LGBT groups are exonerated of, as you put it, crimes against the state?"

"Well, naturally it depends on what other laws have been broken. The army officers who were arrested, for example, are guilty of having broken their oaths of office, and of spreading homosexuality, so they'll at the very least be cashiered. Some of the homosexuals and lesbians are only guilty of homosexual thought. I think there are a few cases where they had literature associated with encouragement of homosexual activity. That is illegal, but not a capital crime if you follow me."

However she seemed appreciative of the meetings he promised to help set up. "Thank you, I appreciate that very much," Bailey said amiably, having finished off the last of her plate and her wine by now. "This is never an easy thing, but nothing ever gets done by resting on one's laurels and clinging to old ways for their own sake. I think you, Count Lalery, and others who agree with you can understand that."

As if on cue the waiter arrived to take their order.

Prince Enoch smiled. "I would like to have filet mignon, medium rare, with sauteed mushrooms, grilled shrimp, and a baked potato with sour cream, chives and shredded cheese. A very Cetian meal, eh?" he beamed. "And I will have this Rameau '77 to drink with that. What about you, Madame Secretary? all this talk has given me an appetite."
Last edited by New Edom on Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:38 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

Prince Enoch clucked his tongue. "This is hardly the best setting for this discussion," he said reprovingly. "I would like to recommend that it be set for discussion during the Visit, would you not agree?"

Bailey couldn't help but feel like she was being teased. Why had Enoch brought the matter up at all? There had to be some reason for it. She conceded "Very well, we shall discuss it further during the visit. If we're going to do that though, I think the President ought to be brought up to date before the visit, at least as much as you've told me."

As if on cue the waiter arrived to take their order.

Prince Enoch smiled. "I would like to have filet mignon, medium rare, with sauteed mushrooms, grilled shrimp, and a baked potato with sour cream, chives and shredded cheese. A very Cetian meal, eh?" he beamed. "And I will have this Rameau '77 to drink with that. What about you, Madame Secretary? all this talk has given me an appetite."

"Very good, Excellency. When in Rome, eh?" the waiter joked.

"Oh, I think I'll have the seafood linguini and to drink..." she turned to the sommelier and asked "what would you recommend? Should I stick with what I've been drinking?"

"The saffron will overpower it, I think, Madame Secretary," the sommelier said. He had a faint Lazodirian accent. "A good Garzan rioja tinto, we have a 2001 Gran Reserva."

Bailey's expression was rather blank. "I'm sure it's fine, but I'm not feeling adventurous tonight. What about pinot grigio?"

The sommelier's expression didn't change, but he took a moment to respond. "I'm sure we can find something suitable."

"Thank you," Bailey said to the servers with a smile as they bustled out.

"Now, while I have you here and we're generally agreed on discussing human rights at the visit, I wonder if we might also briefly plan to discuss the matter of Arvo prisoners of war," Bailey said. "The Noviterans on Isla Sanctum have reported refugees fleeing the Diols in the hundreds if not thousands. Their eyewitness accounts corroborate the claim that Edomite forces are attempting to wipe out indigenous ways of life beyond the scope of anti-piracy operations. The Imperium and the Union also remain determined to deny Adiran press access to the area, preventing us from verifying your own government's claims on the status of prisoners. I'm sure you can see how some might assume the worst under these circumstances."

"Now's not the time to debate the truth of this. As you say you are here to plan and facilitate the talks, so what would you say to discussing this matter during the visit?" she asked.

Once he had replied to this, Bailey finally stopped talking shop for a moment, her gaze not quite as sharp. "So, Excellency, I gave you an earful of my life story earlier. What about yourself? How did you come to be named Royal Master of Offices after your military career?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:04 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

Bailey couldn't help but feel like she was being teased. Why had Enoch brought the matter up at all? There had to be some reason for it. She conceded "Very well, we shall discuss it further during the visit. If we're going to do that though, I think the President ought to be brought up to date before the visit, at least as much as you've told me."

"Naturally, that is of course what I agree you ought to do," said Prince Enoch. And that was why he brought it up, after all.

"Very good, Excellency. When in Rome, eh?" the waiter joked.

"Indeed," said Prince Enoch, feeling generally in a good mood.

"Oh, I think I'll have the seafood linguini and to drink..." she turned to the sommelier and asked "what would you recommend? Should I stick with what I've been drinking?"

"The saffron will overpower it, I think, Madame Secretary," the sommelier said. He had a faint Lazodirian accent. "A good Garzan rioja tinto, we have a 2001 Gran Reserva."

Bailey's expression was rather blank. "I'm sure it's fine, but I'm not feeling adventurous tonight. What about pinot grigio?"

Christ save us, thought Enoch, but he kept a bland smile on his face. He felt sorry for the sommelier. First his own eccentricity about the Riesling. Now this.

The sommelier's expression didn't change, but he took a moment to respond. "I'm sure we can find something suitable."

"Thank you," Bailey said to the servers with a smile as they bustled out.

Prince Enoch nodded his thanks and returned his attention to her.

"Now, while I have you here and we're generally agreed on discussing human rights at the visit, I wonder if we might also briefly plan to discuss the matter of Arvo prisoners of war," Bailey said. "The Noviterans on Isla Sanctum have reported refugees fleeing the Diols in the hundreds if not thousands. Their eyewitness accounts corroborate the claim that Edomite forces are attempting to wipe out indigenous ways of life beyond the scope of anti-piracy operations. The Imperium and the Union also remain determined to deny Adiran press access to the area, preventing us from verifying your own government's claims on the status of prisoners. I'm sure you can see how some might assume the worst under these circumstances."

"Now's not the time to debate the truth of this. As you say you are here to plan and facilitate the talks, so what would you say to discussing this matter during the visit?" she asked.

"Well, naturally I see the dilemma from your point of view, Madame Secretary," said Prince Enoch. "I can see how some might take things the wrong way, and of course you must answer to your electorate. So what I propose is this: that we include the...human rights issues pertaining particularly to the issue of the Arvo, Diols and so on, at that part of the talks which will focus on general regional security in the Ura Sea. There will be an initial discussion of the subjects which are being presented on the first day, and so we can have a little clarification of the terms we are discussing then, the particulars after, and any necessary scheduling of further discussion following that, is that acceptable?"

Once he had replied to this, Bailey finally stopped talking shop for a moment, her gaze not quite as sharp. "So, Excellency, I gave you an earful of my life story earlier. What about yourself? How did you come to be named Royal Master of Offices after your military career?"

"By accident," said Prince Enoch with a smile. "Jalcanaius Fostus had been Master of Offices previously, but he died in that stadium collapse with Perrin Pahath-Moab and the others. Such a great tragedy. Some of our greatest men died in that crash, and of course a number of other persons too. Anyway, Queen Mara was in a great state of shock and grief, and as we are cousins by marriage, well..." Prince Enoch could not help but have a warmth creep into his voice, "We were childhood friends as well. Some of us stepped into key offices to help her. Initially nothing official, but gradually duties crept up on me until I realized that I was pretty much doing the job. By the time the 3rd Civil War swung round, it was decided to make it official." And then he nearly went grey worrying about a missing queen. Fun times.

"My father, poor fellow, was Royal Master of Offices before he was Finance Minister and later President of the Council." He sipped his wine. "I'm sure you know, poor father was killed by the Damocleans with King James."
Last edited by New Edom on Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:58 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

"Well, naturally I see the dilemma from your point of view, Madame Secretary," said Prince Enoch. "I can see how some might take things the wrong way, and of course you must answer to your electorate. So what I propose is this: that we include the...human rights issues pertaining particularly to the issue of the Arvo, Diols and so on, at that part of the talks which will focus on general regional security in the Ura Sea. There will be an initial discussion of the subjects which are being presented on the first day, and so we can have a little clarification of the terms we are discussing then, the particulars after, and any necessary scheduling of further discussion following that, is that acceptable?"

"Yes, that is acceptable as long as there will be sufficient time," Bailey agreed.

"By accident," said Prince Enoch with a smile. "Jalcanaius Fostus had been Master of Offices previously, but he died in that stadium collapse with Perrin Pahath-Moab and the others. Such a great tragedy. Some of our greatest men died in that crash, and of course a number of other persons too. Anyway, Queen Mara was in a great state of shock and grief, and as we are cousins by marriage, well..." Prince Enoch could not help but have a warmth creep into his voice, "We were childhood friends as well. Some of us stepped into key offices to help her. Initially nothing official, but gradually duties crept up on me until I realized that I was pretty much doing the job. By the time the 3rd Civil War swung round, it was decided to make it official." And then he nearly went grey worrying about a missing queen. Fun times.

"My father, poor fellow, was Royal Master of Offices before he was Finance Minister and later President of the Council." He sipped his wine. "I'm sure you know, poor father was killed by the Damocleans with King James."

"New Edom has not lacked for tragedy in the 21st century, certainly. For what it's worth I am sorry about what happened to your father," Bailey said sympathetically. "The communists in Damoclea brought much terror and grief in the short time they were in power. Lyscania is still recovering from the atrocities committed by Damoclean forces as I understand it."

"You may not have sought the office out, but you've kept at it ever since. Do you enjoy it?"

"And how is the Queen doing generally, if you don't mind my asking? I know there were those reports flying around during the civil war about her state," she asked after that.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:27 pm

Northern Arvo Nation

From beneath the brush on a hilltop, the warrior squinted through his battered binoculars into the sky, blue mottled with scattered puffy grey-bottomed clouds. His younger partner was messing with his rifle as he tended to do, carving a fresh mark into the stock obliviously. The first warrior glared back at him, shouted a couple of harsh words which only got a dismissive grunt. This was too much, and the older warrior darted back and nearly pulled him to his feet by the scruff of his neck. After a few harsh words, the younger man scrambled back through the brush and retrieved a shoulder-launched missile while the older warrior pushed the brush to one side again.

If he didn't have some of the sharpest eyes in the village he might not have caught it. It was a dark, angular shape racing across the sky, a helicopter he hadn't seen before with the Confederates. It wasn't going towards the village, through the favor of fortune or the Ancestors, but it might circle back around.

The younger man rushed forward with the missile tube and raised it to the sky, following where the observer was pointing. As the missile's guidance system kicked in it began making an electronic tone. After a moment, the tone changed and the observer made a chopping motion with his hand. There was smoke and fire as the missile streaked towards its target.

Soundtrack

Before the missile team had time to celebrate or do much of anything else, explosions rippled across the hilltop. The missile's target, an Adiran Apache, banked away and began dropping flares almost immediately after its radar warning receiver started squawking. The Arvo missile spiraled off while the lead aircraft's wingman roared past the hill. They had taken the bait and paid for it. Another pair of Apaches made a similar gambit farther west, finding nothing.

Arvo in the nearby village were grabbing weapons, going for rifles, submachine guns, machetes, and knives. Specialist Leroux and his company, meanwhile, were in Black Hawks racing towards them just above the treetops. The Apaches cleared their avenue of approach from the north and were circling around to their LZs to clear them out. Something smacked the outside of the helicopter, a lucky shot most likely.

Eventually Leroux got the signal and checked his gear one last time as the helo started to rear back. The doors slid open and one by one the Rangers grabbed the rope and slid down into an orchard. Baskets of mangoes had been left behind, a fire had started some distance away. Overhead there was nothing but the sounds of helicopter blades and some machine gun fire from the Apaches.

Ahead of him was a village in chaos. Black smoke and flame was rising from a technical that looked like it had been smashed by a giant. Before he could take in any more of the sights, Leroux was greeted with the supersonic crack of bullets flying by, and they went to ground. Reid fired a few bursts from his LMG and the fire seemed to stop.

"Tagged him," Reid said dispassionately.

"Come on, move up to the objective," Caesar said with a gesture of his rifle.

Moving up there were bodies in the street running through the center of the village; armed men apparently the victims of one of the gunships. Helicopter blades still chopped through the air above them while gunfire seemed to surround them. There was a sharp explosion in the jungle not far away.

"Contact, twenty meters, ten o'clock," Caesar said. There was a group of warriors moving through the village making a fighting retreat, firing at another squad.

He started to give an order. "All right, Leroux, put a 203 at the back of that hut when they come around--"

"Wait, there's civilians in there," Gullett snapped. "One looks different, pale, woman, maybe twenty years old, dark hair...I think we might have our aid worker," Gullett said. He was watching a powerful and slightly older warrior shoving her forward with one hand and hip-firing an AK with the other.

Caesar signaled back to his squad leader. "Staff Sergeant, we might have our package here."

Maloy was looking through the sight of his rifle and did a double take. In his usual raspy voice he said "Got reports of the Arvo starting to kill captives upon contact with us. Bounding overwatch, let's get up there now."

They did so quickly and efficiently, moving from cover to cover, hut to hut, tree to tree trying to keep up with the less meticulous and far less careful Arvo. At one point a woman carrying a baby in a pouch rushed out in front of them from behind a corner and screamed, running off in another direction.

"Forget her! Priority's the captives!" Leroux heard Caesar say.

They saw the Arvo stop not far ahead, but from this angle the captives were right behind the warriors. Stray shots might hit them. Maloy ordered that they reposition to either side of them before engaging, since the warriors didn't seem to have noticed that they were being followed yet.

"Sarge they're lining 'em up, propping 'em up..." Gullett said worryingly.

Caesar tried to reply "We're not in position yet..."

He was interrupted by a gunshot from ahead of them. Gullett said "Shit! They shot her!"

"All right, engage hostiles, watch your fire!" Caesar said.

"Going for another one," Gullett said, raising his rifle and taking aim. The older warrior was casually moving towards the paler woman he'd seen earlier and raising his rifle towards her head. Gullett took the first shot of the squad, two in the chest, one in the head.

"Bang out!" Caesar yelled as he hurled a flashbang into the group just as a hail of bullets tore into the jungle around them. With one sharp pop the Arvo were disoriented, and the two squads quickly and efficiently cut down each of the warriors in turn.

The captive who'd been shot was already dead, the top of her skull blown off. Those remaining were gagged, their hands bound, wearing little more than scraps of cloth around their waists, and sobbing in utter terror. Leroux was setting up a perimeter when he noticed Gullett checking the woman he'd thought was the aid worker.

"Dr. Cresswell? Helen Cresswell?" he was asking.

The woman stared at him with red, puffy, unknowing eyes. "It's not her," Caesar said.

After the village fell, the Rangers once again had to deal with captives of their own, overwhelmingly women and children. However one squad secured a rare prize: a warrior who hadn't had time to go out in a blaze of glory. He'd been a sentry lost in the confusion when he stumbled into some of the Rangers in the brush. After a brief scuffle, a gunshot, and a superficial knife wound to one of the Rangers, they managed to knock him out, disarm him and tie him up.

Captain Latson was giving a radio report when the man was carried up to her on a stretcher stripped mostly to his skin, revealing intricate dark tattoos across both shoulders when he was set down and propped up against a tree. He'd been shot in the leg and the wound had only been superficially dressed. Accompanying Latson was a Folau interpreter named Dakan who wore body armor but no BDU, some feathers sticking out from beneath his helmet. Seeing the warrior, Dakan smiled, revealing a wide grin of dark yellow teeth. He gave a rather cruel sounding chuckle and asked a sarcastic-sounding question to the Arvo. The warrior spit on the ground at Dakan's feet.

"Dakan," Latson said, holding up a hand. Dakan inclined his head and deferred to the Ranger. "The usual questions, though I'm pretty sure I know the answers by now."

Dakan asked him where the remaining captives were. The warrior said he didn't know or care, other villages maybe. He asked him if they would attack the Confederates again. The warrior said he did not know. He asked him how many of Mok Ukkadis' men remained. The warrior glared at Latson and proclaimed 'tens of tens of us remain, and for each of them who join the ancestors, ten more will take their place.'

Latson had heard all this at the last village. It was rather frustrating trying to get intel out of Arvo. "Dakan, tell him that he's seen what we can do. Mok Ukkadis can't stop us. Ask him why his leaders won't negotiate."

Dakan did so, then replied in accented English "Says we're Other Men--foreigners, enemies. Says Other Men drove them out of their southern villages, that they know not honor or the ancestors."

"Yeah, yeah, I know, I know," Latson replied irritably. "Tell him to go to the next village over with a message: until we get those captives back--no, until their leaders negotiate, that we're going to keep coming for them and we're not going to stop until they come to the table."

The Arvo man said something in return after the translation. It became clear he was protesting.

"Says he will not go," Dakan summarized.

"Then tell him he's dead weight. He can't walk away? That means he's dead," she threatened.

Dakan relayed this and the warrior laughed, bearing his teeth at Latson before grimacing painfully. Looking back at Latson, Dakan said "He is dead either way. If he goes to a village, he will be known as a coward. They will kill him if we don't."

"He didn't surrender, the boys snuck up on him, captured and disarmed him," Latson pointed out.

"Doesn't matter. He failed as a sentry and his village fell to Other Men. That means he is expected to take his own life for failing himself, his clan, and his ancestors. As soon as we release him, he probably intends to do just that," Dakan replied.

"For fuck's sake," Latson muttered. "Get him on medevac and go find one of the women to do this instead." In this, she was more successful, managing to convince a frightened, bewildered Arvo woman to do as she asked. They couldn't just burn villages to make themselves feel better, after all. It had to accomplish something.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:21 am, edited 3 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

"New Edom has not lacked for tragedy in the 21st century, certainly. For what it's worth I am sorry about what happened to your father," Bailey said sympathetically. "The communists in Damoclea brought much terror and grief in the short time they were in power. Lyscania is still recovering from the atrocities committed by Damoclean forces as I understand it."

"Thank you very much. Yes, they were beasts and brutes," said Prince Enoch, cutting into his meat. "For example refugees, farm families and townsfolk in the path of the Damoclean army were murdered, raped and pressed into servitude, without regard to sex or age. In the hill country they even slaughtered and left to rot the livestock they found, the bastards. However their house was built on sand, and it fell to ourselves and our allies. This is why Perrin was and Nicanor is so admired, you see--they avenged our country's loss, came to the defense of our ally, Lyscania, and brought Damoclea under our heel."

"You may not have sought the office out, but you've kept at it ever since. Do you enjoy it?"

Enoch laughed. "Enjoy is not quite the word, Madame Secretary, it's duty and I do it to the best of my ability. What I enjoy is sailing, more than anything, but I would hardly be doing my duty to the family name by being a professional sailor or something. I'm sure it's the same with you regardless...do you have any pleasures in life beyond work?"

"And how is the Queen doing generally, if you don't mind my asking? I know there were those reports flying around during the civil war about her state," she asked after that.

"The Queen is doing very well, thank you, as is little Prince Josias. She is very pleased with recent progress to the agriculture reform act, in particular paired up with our cubesat programs and dirigible transport program. Recently she returned from a pilgrimage, less arduous than before of course, to Hillel where she met with the Prophet and prayers were said for the nation and for victims of terrorism." He smiled warmly as before. "The Queen is wonderful."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:16 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

Their entrees arrived while they continued. Enoch's filet mignon was juicy and tender, pink in the middle, while Bailey's seafood pasta had a rich, flavorful aroma. Bailey twirled the linguini around her fork and ate rather meticulously, no slurping or dangling threads anywhere.

Enoch laughed. "Enjoy is not quite the word, Madame Secretary, it's duty and I do it to the best of my ability. What I enjoy is sailing, more than anything, but I would hardly be doing my duty to the family name by being a professional sailor or something. I'm sure it's the same with you regardless...do you have any pleasures in life beyond work?"

"Well once upon a time I was out on the water a lot myself. Swimming, canoeing, and if my knee permitted it I might even be able to get up on water skis still. Not as much time for all that lately though, so I keep myself busy with painting," she explained.

"The Queen is doing very well, thank you, as is little Prince Josias. She is very pleased with recent progress to the agriculture reform act, in particular paired up with our cubesat programs and dirigible transport program. Recently she returned from a pilgrimage, less arduous than before of course, to Hillel where she met with the Prophet and prayers were said for the nation and for victims of terrorism." He smiled warmly as before. "The Queen is wonderful."

Bailey couldn't help but notice Enoch get almost wistful as he mentioned the Queen. "Her heart's in the right place. If only every monarch could be so devoted to their people. So you're still very close then? It must've been hard when she was in Harbourtown."

After Enoch replied and she had sampled her wine adequately, Bailey pontificated on another point. "I know the opinion many in the supposed "Old World" hold of us Cetans. Too loud, too direct, all business, no culture, no history. I'm sure I myself have already transgressed tonight. I can't imagine the President's Chief of Staff faring much better either, knowing him," she half-joked.

"If you'll forgive my curiosity, what might an Edomite aristocrat like Count Lalery see in a place like Adiron? Economic growth, political stability, and peaceful transitions of government, I imagine."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:19 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

"Well once upon a time I was out on the water a lot myself. Swimming, canoeing, and if my knee permitted it I might even be able to get up on water skis still. Not as much time for all that lately though, so I keep myself busy with painting," she explained.

"How interesting. What sort of things do you paint? Houses?" teased Prince Enoch. He was curious about the knee as well but felt it was not the right time to ask her about it. He liked the way she ate.

Bailey couldn't help but notice Enoch get almost wistful as he mentioned the Queen. "Her heart's in the right place. If only every monarch could be so devoted to their people. So you're still very close then? It must've been hard when she was in Harbourtown."

"It was. People were constantly worried for her. We are close. As I said, we grew up together. But...we have never not known war since our young adulthood. Several times we have been woken in the middle of the night, rushed to a helicopter or vehicle and taken away and could hear the sounds of combat advancing towards where we had been. And a couple of times I was the fellow doing the rousing and evacuating. In our 2nd Civil War, Perrin, myself, the King, Count Lalery, were all involved in planning our retreat from Fineberg on the part of the family. The Queen was still Princess Mara. She was upset and angry about it. There were thousands of Monarchists left behind, and we had to negotiate for their withdrawal as well. You probably remember since Isidium became more involved with our country at that time, mostly around Glasstower."

Mara shivered against him in her nightgown as the helicopter rose from the landing pad and moved off in the night sky. Flashes like matches being lit flared constantly beneath them, just a couple of klicks from the royal estate. Faint thumps could be heard. Mara saying in his ear, "It's all like a bad dream. When will it ever stop?" The escorting helicopters swirling below them, flashes of tracers blazing towards the ground.

Maybe they were all mad.

He blinked. Bailey was still there. "We all loved to sing and dance together, when we were young. We still do it sometimes. Classical stuff, show tunes, you name it. We used to joke that if we lost the war we'd become some sort of traveling act." he grinned.

After Enoch replied and she had sampled her wine adequately, Bailey pontificated on another point. "I know the opinion many in the supposed "Old World" hold of us Cetans. Too loud, too direct, all business, no culture, no history. I'm sure I myself have already transgressed tonight. I can't imagine the President's Chief of Staff faring much better either, knowing him," she half-joked.

Prince Enoch chuckled. "I'm sure your people have your stereotypes about us. Takes too long to get to the point, hides purpose behind courtesy, too hung up on who's who, how can such nice people be so warlike...am I close?"

"If you'll forgive my curiosity, what might an Edomite aristocrat like Count Lalery see in a place like Adiron? Economic growth, political stability, and peaceful transitions of government, I imagine."

"That has a great deal to do with it. Obviously it has to work differently for us, there are major cultural differences as you say," said Prince Enoch. "But I'll be frank as I can imitating the President's Chief of Staff. Count Lalery is like a farmer who wants to have his farm pay. He is looking around to see what is working, what might work in our particular environment and circumstances and has...what I would call a remarkably unprejudiced mind when it comes to such things."
Last edited by New Edom on Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:44 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

"How interesting. What sort of things do you paint? Houses?" teased Prince Enoch. He was curious about the knee as well but felt it was not the right time to ask her about it. He liked the way she ate.

"Oh, aren't you funny," Bailey chided back with a grin, "although years ago I did actually end up painting a kitchen in my first place. I mean the walls were taxi cab yellow, I had to. Thankfully now I just get a canvas and paint whatever springs to mind."

"It was. People were constantly worried for her. We are close. As I said, we grew up together. But...we have never not known war since our young adulthood. Several times we have been woken in the middle of the night, rushed to a helicopter or vehicle and taken away and could hear the sounds of combat advancing towards where we had been. And a couple of times I was the fellow doing the rousing and evacuating. In our 2nd Civil War, Perrin, myself, the King, Count Lalery, were all involved in planning our retreat from Fineberg on the part of the family. The Queen was still Princess Mara. She was upset and angry about it. There were thousands of Monarchists left behind, and we had to negotiate for their withdrawal as well. You probably remember since Isidium became more involved with our country at that time, mostly around Glasstower."

Mara shivered against him in her nightgown as the helicopter rose from the landing pad and moved off in the night sky. Flashes like matches being lit flared constantly beneath them, just a couple of klicks from the royal estate. Faint thumps could be heard. Mara saying in his ear, "It's all like a bad dream. When will it ever stop?" The escorting helicopters swirling below them, flashes of tracers blazing towards the ground.

Maybe they were all mad.

"This election, the youngest voters can't remember a time when Adiron wasn't at war or under the threat of it. I don't know what that'll mean for our republic..." she said a bit sadly.

But Enoch wasn't at the table anymore. She did what she thought was the polite thing and pretended not to notice, taking a sip of wine and another bite of her food. He seemed to come back relatively quickly.

He blinked. Bailey was still there. "We all loved to sing and dance together, when we were young. We still do it sometimes. Classical stuff, show tunes, you name it. We used to joke that if we lost the war we'd become some sort of traveling act." he grinned.

"And I'm sure you'd have made a brilliant duo act, though I imagine you'd also miss your country," Bailey offered. She was about halfway through her meal, having finished most of the scallops first. "Alas, instead you've both had great responsibilities thrust upon you, with many lives depending on it. I do understand, I'm still trying to adjust to that reality myself. You and the Queen were lucky to have one another for support."

"That has a great deal to do with it. Obviously it has to work differently for us, there are major cultural differences as you say," said Prince Enoch. "But I'll be frank as I can imitating the President's Chief of Staff. Count Lalery is like a farmer who wants to have his farm pay. He is looking around to see what is working, what might work in our particular environment and circumstances and has...what I would call a remarkably unprejudiced mind when it comes to such things."

"Unprejudiced..." Bailey said, as though mulling the word over. "I wonder if you'll indulge me a quote as we finish up here, Excellency?"

If Enoch agreed, Bailey set her fork down retrieved her phone, scanned it for a moment, then began. "The worth of a State, in the long run, is the worth of the individuals composing it; and a State which postpones the interests of their mental expansion and elevation to a little more of administrative skill, or of that semblance of it which practice gives, in the details of business; a State which dwarfs its men, in order that they may be more docile instruments in its hands even for beneficial purposes—will find that with small men no great thing can really be accomplished; and that the perfection of machinery to which it has sacrificed everything will in the end avail it nothing, for want of the vital power which, in order that the machine might work more smoothly, it has preferred to banish."

"What is your opinion on that, Excellency? And what do you think Count Lalery and President Nicanor would make of it?" Bailey asked, studying him.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:35 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

"Oh, aren't you funny," Bailey chided back with a grin, "although years ago I did actually end up painting a kitchen in my first place. I mean the walls were taxi cab yellow, I had to. Thankfully now I just get a canvas and paint whatever springs to mind."

"Nothing worse than yellow walls," said Prince Enoch with a solemn expression. "What style do you paint in though? What sort of subjects do you paint, I mean surely you don't just paint your morning newspaper or something."

"And I'm sure you'd have made a brilliant duo act, though I imagine you'd also miss your country," Bailey offered. She was about halfway through her meal, having finished most of the scallops first. "Alas, instead you've both had great responsibilities thrust upon you, with many lives depending on it. I do understand, I'm still trying to adjust to that reality myself. You and the Queen were lucky to have one another for support."

"Very kind of you to say," said Prince Enoch, who had quite recovered. "And what might you have been without duty thrust upon yu? A painter, a teacher? I can see you as a teacher, somehow."

"Unprejudiced..." Bailey said, as though mulling the word over. "I wonder if you'll indulge me a quote as we finish up here, Excellency?"

If Enoch agreed, Bailey set her fork down retrieved her phone, scanned it for a moment, then began. "The worth of a State, in the long run, is the worth of the individuals composing it; and a State which postpones the interests of their mental expansion and elevation to a little more of administrative skill, or of that semblance of it which practice gives, in the details of business; a State which dwarfs its men, in order that they may be more docile instruments in its hands even for beneficial purposes—will find that with small men no great thing can really be accomplished; and that the perfection of machinery to which it has sacrificed everything will in the end avail it nothing, for want of the vital power which, in order that the machine might work more smoothly, it has preferred to banish."

"What is your opinion on that, Excellency? And what do you think Count Lalery and President Nicanor would make of it?" Bailey asked, studying him.

The quote sounded oddly familiar, and he felt a specter, a nudge from his later school days or something but could not quite place it. Perhaps it was the tone of the quote? At any rate, he chuckled. "Neither man is a philosopher, or what you'd call one. General Nicanor...President Nicanor...would probably say something that there is none righteous, yea none vaunted nor holy before God. He would quote his favourite part of the Bible, which is the First Epistle to the Corinthians, which he is fond of quoting, and would say something like: "The wisdom of man is nothing to the foolishness of God, and the strength of man is nothing to the weakness of God. For you see your calling, brethren, how not many mighty, not many wise are chosen. But God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the mighty. And base things of the world, and foolish things of the world has God chosen, yes, and things that are not, to bring to nought things that are, that no flesh may glory in His presence..." Count Lalery would probably just agree with it. For he is a vital man, Madame Secretary, as you will see when you meet him. They are both mighty men of our nation. You see before you but a languid flower of a fellow who faciliates meetings. They are great men of vision." One way or another, he thought. But he could hardly say so...

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:34 pm

Bateaux Brasserie

"Nothing worse than yellow walls," said Prince Enoch with a solemn expression. "What style do you paint in though? What sort of subjects do you paint, I mean surely you don't just paint your morning newspaper or something."

"I don't limit myself to landscapes and still lifes. Sometimes the painting has a life of its own. Other times painting's more about self-discovery..." Bailey started to say, but quickly seemed to lose Enoch and stopped herself. "That must sound awfully pretentious. In brief, lately I've been doing a lot of abstract expressionism. A good way to unwind and vent rather than trying to capture the same bowls of fruit everyone has already seen."

"Very kind of you to say," said Prince Enoch, who had quite recovered. "And what might you have been without duty thrust upon you? A painter, a teacher? I can see you as a teacher, somehow."

"Well, if I wasn't Secretary of State, I'd still be in the Assembly. Given how your career has gone, though, I can hardly claim to have been catapulted unexpectedly into public life as you have. It was entirely my decision to accept the ambassadorship and run for office. I imagine I might still be with Isidium otherwise," Bailey said as she started to finish her plate. "I suppose you must think me like a teacher though, given how much lecturing I've done tonight."

The quote sounded oddly familiar, and he felt a specter, a nudge from his later school days or something but could not quite place it. Perhaps it was the tone of the quote? At any rate, he chuckled. "Neither man is a philosopher, or what you'd call one. General Nicanor...President Nicanor...would probably say something that there is none righteous, yea none vaunted nor holy before God. He would quote his favourite part of the Bible, which is the First Epistle to the Corinthians, which he is fond of quoting, and would say something like: "The wisdom of man is nothing to the foolishness of God, and the strength of man is nothing to the weakness of God. For you see your calling, brethren, how not many mighty, not many wise are chosen. But God has chosen the weak things of the world to confound the mighty. And base things of the world, and foolish things of the world has God chosen, yes, and things that are not, to bring to nought things that are, that no flesh may glory in His presence..." Count Lalery would probably just agree with it. For he is a vital man, Madame Secretary, as you will see when you meet him. They are both mighty men of our nation. You see before you but a languid flower of a fellow who faciliates meetings. They are great men of vision." One way or another, he thought. But he could hardly say so...

Bailey considered what Enoch said about Nicanor. In some ways it confirmed some of the fears about him, but this was just philosophical banter, hardly proof positive. She concluded by saying "I see, well as you say I will meet them for myself soon enough."

By this point they had both finished their meals and had been conversing back and forth when the waiter returned. "Would either of you care for dessert, or something to drink perhaps?"

"Oh, nothing for me, thank you," Bailey replied. The waiter looked at Enoch expectantly as the busboy moved to clear their plates.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:52 am

Bateaux Brasserie

The evening had, in Enoch's view, gone well. He had gotten a good measure of what some might regard as the most potentially awkward member of the Adiran government delegations, in his own measure rather than that of Ramoth who tended to dismiss the lot of them as barbarians. He would later report that Bailey was rather determined, ideological, intelligent and perceptive. However she was not a fanatic, as some reputed her to be; she was simply rather single minded and strong willed on the subject of human rights and clearly felt it to be the most important focus of her job. Since she would be the primary foreign affairs advisor, this was key.

He had smiled and nodded at her mentioning of her subjects for painting, but it had not just been a social question. He had wanted to know about the woman's attitudes towards life, and it was clear that non professional life for her was hobbies and pleasant breaks. She was no workaholic but clearly saw her political work not merely as ambition but a vocation.

When the check arrived, Enoch knew it would probably be preferable for her if they split the bill, but offered anyway to see what she would do if he treated her. If she did not accept he amiably accepted her words rather than spend time arguing and joking about it as he might have done back home. Refusing dessert.

"Madame Secretary, I have had a most enjoyable and enlightening evening, and I look forward to meeting you again in New Edom. Thank you very much for what you have done to help prepare for the visit. It has been an honour to meet you."

Once she had replied, after stopping at the embassy to make a report, he made his way back to the hotel. He called his wife and spoke to her for about half an hour before lying back in his bed, thinking of Jess, Mara, and sailing. He drifted off to sleep.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Thu Jul 20, 2017 1:25 am

Padan-Aran
Bara Province
New Edom

New Edomite Air Force escorts had met the Adiran flight coming in, greeted them and had led them to Padan-Aran; they flew off in a salute formation as the Adiran transport began to land. On the tarmac, as the stairs were wheeled up to the plane by National Air Force ground crews, a band was assembled with gleaming brass, woodwinds and percussion; Royal Cavalry Guardsmen in white tunics, dark trousers tucked into riding boots, silver frogging on their tunics, grey wolf shakos with tall stiff Griffon feathers in them stood at attention with a glittering row of bayonets above their shoulders. Beyond could be seen the small attractive city with the wooded hills surrounding it.

The national anthem was played with flourish and excellence, having been played before, as the honour guard presented arms and the Edomites saluted or put themselves in a respectful posture. Queen Mara smiled and seemed glad.

They all stood together; household servants in paneled chitons that showed a shapely or muscular bare flanks and legs on one side stood with umbrellas at the read in case it started to rain again. (a savage burst of bug killers that morning made it very pleasant though not far from the airport were drenched fields) Wearing a beautiful Haranese weave patterned tunic dress and high sandals, gold chains made of beaten coins (the same worn by Queen Adah the Liberator in 1865) Queen Mara stood, dark hair flowing softly to her supple upper arms and bare shoulders, beside her advisers. Count Merodach in a dark blue court uniform; Count Lalery in the white dress uniform of his regiment, the same that was on parade. Countess Merodach and other ladies in waiting arrayed nearby as well. And on either side of the Lalerys stood King Elijah IV, the tallest man present though not abnormally so, his long face serious, his large eyes melancholy, wearing a full dress naval uniform with gold braid, decorations, sword and cap; Prince Enoch Tubal-Cain in a similar uniform, though the former was a Vice-Admiral, the latter a Commander. And on this rarest of occasions, General Nicanor, in a white uniform with gold buttons, dark trousers and riding boots with certain members of the Council like Foreign Minister Hosidius Geta, Police Minister John Ashdod were present along with personal staff. Little Prince Josias, if asked, was with grandmother Queen Dowager Rebecca. Count Emil Sharra was in Fineberg with the Justice Minister, acting as heads of government. Princess Jocasta was also not present.

King Elijah IV and Queen Mara both welcomed the President and First Lady, and thanked them for coming. Two small children, a boy and girl, each presented the First Couple with a bouquet of flowers which were orchids and lilies.

Shiloam Palace was a rather simply decorated place; its décor spoke more of warmth, comfort, air, light and space than it did of antiquity. The colors within were warm blues and light oranges, creams and tans, neat geometric carpets, simple heirlooms on display, little sense of clutter. The wing devoted to the Adirans had its own courtyard and garden, with geometric hedges, flower gardens, and fountains. One of the main things felt, no doubt, would be quiet and peace. However the Adiran staff would be aware that surrounding the city and indeed within it was a strong military presence. The strikes, the concerns about Homofront, the recession, the ETC mobs, were all held at bay. In the rooms allotted to the Adirans, there was an airy freshness, with large comfortable beds, walk in washrooms, large wardrobes, portraits of Edomite landscapes, and telephones which on a button push connected to the Palace switchboard. This could provide room service at certain times, or call for staff assistance or connection to a VIP. The President and cabinet had larger rooms which had their own sitting areas, writing desks, a small private living room area with a television set. Things were not perfect; now and then they might see a servant chasing Mara's Pommeranian, or see a naked servant down a service corridor carrying a cleaning tray.

Following the greetings and formal welcome, the principals of the negotiation were able to meet a short time later in a dining hall in the Palace. This dining hall had a number of large comfortable arm chairs that had good embroidered cushions and backs and were a good balance of comfort and straightness.

The Adirans had had a chance to get some refreshments, change, relax a short time, and then were ushered to this dining room which would act as the meeting room. The fine polished table had place settings at it, and there were jugs of chilled water and glasses, bowls of sliced lemons, and note paper had been made available. There were seats along the wall for aides and staff. Queen Mara had excused herself for this part of the meetings and offered to spend time talking to the wives of anyone present--certainly Princess Desiree, Countess Merodach and Countess Camilla Sharra were all present) and giving them a tour of the Palace.

King Elijah began by explaining, "I would like to propose that we should go round the table and present the main issues, and then establish clearly how we are going to deal with the agenda, to make sure we are on the same page. Naturally we are not here to debate or argue, but rather how to discuss how to carry out the mutual plans we may have...I hope," he gave Rowan a rare smile. "The primary issue, naturally, is the cease fire between your country and the Imperium. As I understand it, the extradition proposal, the territorial boundary issues are the main hold ups to being able to proceed, and there is a lack of dialogue between your government and that of the Imperium. Perhaps we could hear from you, Mr. President, and your people, on this issue, and what your government has determined to be the best policy."

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 pm

The Flight Over

Generally the preparations for the visit were all focused on the policy issues and strategy, although at one point the day before their departure the President's staff did discuss the dress code. Formality was necessary, Ober explained, to get the Queen to show up clothed. Not everyone was necessarily enthusiastic about this. "Three piece suits? And I gotta wear a dress? What is this, the 1940s?" Snyder griped.

"Don't recall heads of state going nude back then," Feng quipped.

Martin opened his mouth apparently ready to give an example, but Cruise cut him off. "Not only that it's gonna be hot as hell over there. We wear wool and we'll be sweating like whores in church."

"I don't suppose you have experience with that?" Feng joked.

"No comment," Cruise replied with a grin.

Both of them suddenly caught a disapproving look from Rowan and decided not to press it any further. "Three piece suits are fine," Rowan said. "If anything we'll still look too casual. The Edomites are all going to be in dress uniform. None of us will, unless...Guy?" Rowan looked over at Ferrain.

Without missing a beat and reciting from memory, Ferrain said "Regulation 23-4 states that the uniform may not be worn during or in connection with the furtherance of political activities, private employment or commercial interests, when an inference of official sponsorship for the activity or interest could be drawn. That is why when I've spoken to the press on your behalf or appeared with you at rallies, I wore a suit, no medals. The Secretary of War is another story; he was a colonel but he now holds political office, therefore barring him from wearing the uniform in any public appearances..."

Rowan looked dismayed or annoyed, it was hard to tell. "However," Ferrain added, "this is a state visit, an official function of government, and will involve an appropriate ceremony. I was in uniform at your inauguration as you recall."

"Very good," Rowan had concluded.

Rowan continued to be kept up to date on current issues before and during his flight to New Edom. Just after they boarded, Fortner stopped next to Rowan on the way to his seat. "Mr. President, update on Grasshopper," he said, referring to the Rangers' operation against the Arvo. Rowan nodded.

"We still don't have Dr. Cresswell, but they're finding as they move south, there are more and more women captives," Fortner explained. "The northern villages only had male slaves. Military intelligence said those villages were smaller, they probably wanted the extra labor for crops."

"So what does that mean?" Rowan asked.

"Hopefully, tentatively, it means we're getting close," Fortner said.

"Let's hope," Rowan said. Fortner was about to move on when Rowan said "Wait. The men we rescued, they were being worked half to death, some were found in critical condition, apparently some others had already died in captivity. What about the women?"

Fortner grimaced, then said "Lucky ones had it better than the men, they get put to work as servants, cooks, or minding kids. They tended to be older."

He seemed to hesitate, so Rowan prompted him. "And the unlucky ones? The younger ones?"

Fortner shook his head. "Sent to do manual labor same as the men or forced into concubinage."

"I see," Rowan said grimly, at which point he noticed Pendergast getting on the plane with his wife. "We'll talk more later, Paul."

Several hours into the flight, Ferrain made his way up to Rowan. Ferrain was in the Army's dress uniform, which was a very dark green and had a relatively clean look. "Something you ought to see, I think, Mr. President, from the AIS."

Rowan had been resting his eyes and studied Ferrain. "About what?"

"Protests in the Imperium," he explained.

Rowan took Ferrain's phone and saw swelling but largely peaceful marches in streets surrounded by Gothic architecture. "Where was this?"

"Rhodinia, Illiers, Ironworks Bay," he explained.

"And where is this footage from?"

"Not state media," Ferrain said obliquely.

"Very well, what is it all about?"

"Appears to be the economy, the stock market crash. Unemployment is up in manufacturing, the largest sector of their economy. If you look closely, though, Mr. President, you'll see these marches are being led by clergy," Ferrain said.

Rowan rewinded some of the footage before glancing back up at Ferrain. He asked "What does this mean?"

"It means things aren't as serene across the border as the Curia would have everyone believe. Their economy seems to have been affected badly by the stock market crash," Ferrain said.

"Right. Any indication what this could be building towards?" Rowan asked.

"Apparently the protestors and their leaders are voicing anti-foreign sentiments, talking about being exploited by heathens and such," Ferrain explained. "It's the strongest public opposition we've ever seen to the Curia's economic policy, and for some reason the Curia has not quashed it yet. No one knows why."

"Any ideas?" Rowan asked.

"The AIS is not certain of anything yet. They could be trying to avoid embarrassment or, perhaps, these clergy have some assurances from higher up. Perhaps this is part of a plan somehow and they're waiting for something before going public in state media," Ferrain explained.

"Do the Edomites know?"

"They must. They have consulates all over the Imperium, including the cities that saw major protests," Ferrain explained.

"All right, keep this close to the chest for now. Good work, Guy," Rowan said, handing back his phone.

"Thank you sir," Ferrain said, departing as abruptly as he'd arrived.

Padan-Aran

Once on approach to Padan-Aran, Ober gave everyone a brief reminder of the day's itinerary and security protocols. He was joined by Gwen Turner, a cultural attache and interpreter from the State Department, who give the Adirans a refresher on etiquette along with a who's who of their Edomite counterparts. Turner was an attractive woman in her thirties with raven hair cut in a bob, big brown eyes, full lips, a tanned olive skin tone, and hints of a fine figure despite wearing a relatively conservative blue sundress. She had been given the unenviable task of making sure the Adiran delegation got everyone's titles and forms of address right and followed Enoch's advice on etiquette.

Rowan and Snyder spent the final approach discussing proposals and plan B's for the coming talks. Eventually they finished, Snyder left, and Rowan started talking to the First Lady, who was largely fixated on the view out the window. Ober and Cruise had just had umbrellas moved up to the front of the aircraft in case of rain on the tarmac. Ferrain was fussing with his uniform, while Feng was feeling a bit unfocused since he had to leave his habit at home. Bailey had donned her reading glasses and was reading a book, wearing a light formal business dress, the sort of which she'd been photographed in many times while she was in San Carlo. Fortner was fiddling with a deck of cards; after a little while his girlfriend Michelle started urging him to stop. Pendergast was studying some papers while his wife rested her eyes.

Waiting on the tarmac was a sizable assembly of the Adiran press, cameras ready and possibly chafing with Edomite security protocols. The plane touched down smoothly and taxied up to the steps. Some lower-level staff were first off the plane, including a pair of sunglass-wearing, dark-suited Secret Service bodyguards, one of whom waited at the foot of the stairs while the other reconnoitered with his Edomite counterpart off to one side. Of the official Adiran delegation, however, Rowan was the first off the plane accompanied by the First Lady.

The President likely lacked the Edomites' idea of a commanding presence. Although he had reasonably broad shoulders he didn't have an athletic build, while his beard and mustache might give him something of a goatish appearance in their eyes. He also wasn't in uniform but a dark, well-tailored single-breasted three piece suit with a red silk tie. Walking alongside him was the First Lady, who was wearing a light-colored formal sundress and was seen to take in the sight of the place a bit at the top of the stairs. The two of them accepted the bouquets, Leslie very briefly gushing over them, until the President presented himself before the King. Rowan bowed and allowed both him and the Queen to speak first before voicing hopes for the talks' success and also introducing his wife. Leslie was quick to ask Mara about Josias and generally seemed friendly and animated. In short order they were either introduced or Rowan would have introduced himself to President Nicanor and the ministers present. Rowan offered congratulations to Nicanor on his appointment as President, praise for Lalery's labor and financial reforms, and expressed hope to Geta that they would finish the work he helped start at the Oxbow.

Quickly following Rowan were the other members of his Cabinet and staff. Ferrain was the only Adiran in uniform there, being a retired brigadier general. Pendergast looked confident as ever next to his wife Martha, standing taller and looking a bit more substantial than Rowan himself; if the Edomites knew suits at all they might realize that his was more expensive. Fortner and Michelle made an odd couple owing to their age difference, but perhaps not to their hosts. Snyder had begrudgingly agreed to wear a formal dress like the rest of the women there, settling on a simple but stylish dark blue affair. The Cabinet members followed Rowan's lead, making brief introductions mostly to the Edomite ministers present unless the King addressed them specifically.

The Adirans moved into their wing of the palace relatively quickly, thanking their hosts and a few of them commenting on what seemed to them like lavish accommodations. Snyder stopped Cruise from ordering room service right before they went into their first meeting. Ober looked like a bull in a china shop. The First Lady in particular seemed fascinated with the decor and was eager to take a look around guided by the Queen. She tried to avoid being too familiar with Mara and the other ladies-in-waiting but sometimes her nature got the better of her, at one point asking if she could snap a few pictures of one of the gardens. If permitted, and if she wasn't holding them up too much, she seemed to take her time and enjoy it, taking shots from different angles.

Finally after weeks of planning and buildup, Rowan and his people sat down at a table across from the Edomite government. Rowan was seen to study the room casually, not gawking but more as someone might read a book while enjoying a glass of ice water with a lemon wedge. Bailey seemed rather prim in manners but accepted refreshments. Pendergast seemed to be in or at least acting like he was in his element, relaxed and cheerful looking after his brief break. Fortner was likely the chattiest of the Cabinet Secretaries, striking up small talk if anyone was willing. Of Rowan's staff, Snyder, Ober, and Ferrain looked alert and focused, opening up notepads as soon as they sat down, while Cruise, Feng, and Martin took their time a bit more and made sure to get some water.

After that the King began. Rowan was seen to give Elijah his undivided attention, his hands folded on the table in front of him. "Well, sir, our preferred policy is not vastly complicated on this central issue, it is likely the details and execution which will add complexity, as always," Rowan said, returning Elijah's smile. "The Curia has made it clear that they will not agree to extradition. Despite the fact that we only learned of this position through an abrupt press release, we are willing to accept an internal inquest into the terrorism charges as long as we can have satisfactory oversight over the proceedings. However, by the conclusion of these talks we must then take other steps towards more peaceful borders in Adiron and Arcologia; borders which are not threatened by invasion or terrorism. Whatever the details, that must be the ultimate goal of our discussion on the border, would all of you agree?"

Waiting for a reply, Rowan would have continued. "Now, not to get too far into the details, but I intend to pursue, roughly, the new proposed peace terms which I ran on in my campaign. I think it would be remiss of me to my supporters and the Adiran public if we did not at least start there."

Fortner spoke up after receiving a look from Rowan. "The President is referring to border force reductions. We have drawn up proposed plans on how we might put these terms into place, which we can go over with a fine-toothed comb when we reach this topic tomorrow."
Last edited by Hittanryan on Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:59 pm

Shiloam Palace
Padan-Aran, Bara Province
New Edom

Geta was daydreaming about Gwen Turner. She was too full, she was aching for relief, and needed a man who seemed just right to relieve her. She was embarrassed by this, and he calmed her. Adiran milk was delicious, and exotic, and had rare qualities he needed to add to his daily intake. He rested a hand under his chin and had a faint smile on his face. He had been friendly and welcoming to her, and singled her out for thanks for helping facilitate the Visit so splendidly. Geta wore a three piece linen suit. By contrast to the Adirans, several--the King, Prince Enoch, Nicanor, Ashdod, Unwerth, wore uniforms. Lalery and Geta were the only ones of ministerial rank wearing suits. Among the staff present were Count Matthias Beroth, Lieutenant Count Alexander Domris, Father Melchizedek, Captain Hadoram Peleg, Most Holy Elder Brother Malachi (who for this occasion wore a priestly black robe), and Deputy Justice Minister Misabel.

"Very well. Border reductions," said General Nicanor, glancing at Fortner with shrewd eyes buried in wrinkled folds like those of an elephant. "And I presume you and your government have numbers, schedules and locations to propose? And that this is not a settling of the border dispute but rather simply to reduce the likelihood of conflict while negotiations are going on?"

While the Adirans answered, the Edomites began to make themselves comfortable. Several--Lalery, Nicanor, Ashdod--began to take out cigarette or cigarillo cases, but Prince Enoch frowned and shook his head, eyes darting to the King, who could not smoke due to his health regimen, and chagrined, people put them away. King Elijah affected not to notice, but sat leaned back in his chair. Lalery, irritated at the reminder, got up and sat in a window embrasure. General Ashdod poured himself more lemon water and keenly watched his opposite numbers with his large brown eyes. Nicanor let his broad hands drum idly on his big belly.

Following the reply, King Elijah in slow tones reminded his ministers and advisors that this meeting was not intended to solve any problems, but simply to make the discussions to follow clear. "I am particularly concerned about the issue of piracy around Arcologia. It commands an important route for nautical commerce and fisheries, and yet pirates and savages continue to attack shipping, scientific efforts and coastal communities. It is one of the most important parts of this conference to me, and I hope, Mr. President, that you and your people have come prepared to discuss it thoroughly. I have drawn up a plan for response with the help of my people which I believe will be worthwhile. It will involve the following: the establishment of a stronger regional anti-piracy treaty, the establishment of a regional anti-piracy force in the area to reduce the costs of operation for Adiron, Novitera and New Edom, and a general plan for providing that security to commercial shipping, scientific operations and coastal communities in that part of the region. It will also involve cooperation between the treaty signing powers' law and port enforcement to make piracy unprofitable."

"Make the other lazy bastards in the Region pay for some of the security we're trying to provide, right?" said Count Lalery from the window. Elizabeth Corbulo smiled like she was trying to suppress a physical reaction. There were a few chuckles from around the table.

"Must you perch there like a Goblin Monkey?" Nicanor remarked.

"I told you I hate those chairs," Lalery responded.

"I don't care about the chairs," said the King irritably. "Count Lalery is quite right. The rest of the Region will allow us to keep up the cost of maintaining war footing levels of operation for two carrier groups and ground operations in that part of the Region as long as we let them. Yet their commerce and other operations in the region depend on security as much as ours."

"What's the next item on the agenda?" intervened Prince Enoch languidly as though asking what was for dessert. For no reason apparent to anyone, he smiled at Snyder.

Queen Mara was delighted to welcome the ladies. Also present with her were the young, slim, athletic Countess Camilla Sharra, who was very polite, quiet and courteous, Mrs. Olympia Hesperinus, beautiful and raven haired and a bit sad, the Ghantish borne Countess Alazne Domris, who was very refined and glamourous, Princess Desiree Tubal-Cain, and Countess Melisande Merodach. The mostly young ladies wore sundresses for the most part and seemed friendly, very polite to the Adiran wives and sweethearts, and invited them on a tour of the grounds. They were introduced to pets such as Precious, the black Pommeranian, to a Lesser Griffon called Ajax, who seemed actually rather friendly. The bird was about the size of a Cassowary but had a larger beak and shorter neck, and was mostly white with a black crest, breast and wingtips. Ajax seemed to enjoy strolling around the gardens with a sort of avian dignity, but would approach for treats and fawning. Ajax was a particular pet of the whole family really, Mara explained.

The nursery creche had everything--a shallow pool with a deeper end closed off by a gate for children to learn to swim in, play pens, a little medical station, and entertainment center, but it was noticed that Edomite nannies did more reading to children than letting them watch television. Apparently the little ones were allowed a couple of hours of it a day and would be encouraged to play outside, play with toys or puzzles and the like, and of course would be taught to swim, ride, play a sport and do things like dancing and music. Josias was far too young for all of this, but was at the age when he stumbled around like a drunk and babbled. He recognized Mara as "Mama" and lurched towards her, gabbling like a little lunatic. Mara crouched down easily without any effort and let him come to her. "Hello little man!" she cried. "Who's being a big boy! No, no, be nice to Precious!" she added as he punched Precious in the face. Precious growled and snapped and had to be pulled aside by Tegan, Mara's maid. "Daw! Daw!" cried the little Prince.

Mara encouraged the taking of pictures of the grounds. "Enjoy, and enjoy," she said. Mara showed the guests her vegetable garden as well, which included a large hydroponics lab, and she explained how the system worked, how it created an artificial environment in which invertebrates and fish helped with the growing of plants. "It is truly revolutionizing what I call 'food freedom' in the country," she said with her dazzling smile, "And so each block will one day be producing a hundred pounds of food a day, maybe more for larger operations. By this means, people will become less depenednt on the international market for food production. I think this will be one of the ways in which food freedom helps the environment too. If governments did more of this, it would actually accomplish what many scientists hope will reduce the petroleum footprint."
Last edited by New Edom on Sat Jul 22, 2017 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Padan-Aran

Fortner sat to Rowan's right, Bailey to his left, and Pendergast on Fortner's right. Since the affairs they were discussing didn't concern Treasury so much, Pendergast was seen to lean back in his chair as the Edomites started to make themselves comfortable, although he did keep one hand on the table with a pen and some scratch paper. Fortner replied to Nicanor about force reductions, genially saying "Yes, of course, Excellency. I knew if we were to discuss the measure here we'd need a full proposal to hand."

He paused a moment as Lalery got up, unsure what the Finance Minister was doing until he leaned near the window. The other Adirans noticed but didn't seem to pay it any mind. He concluded what he'd been saying before. "I have to confess..." he said, clicking his tongue, "...that may have held this visit up just a bit, and, well, buck stops with me there, but it is a key issue."

"It certainly is," Rowan agreed, closing that subject as Elijah spoke about piracy.

Of the staff, Ober was listening intently and taking notes; at one point while Fortner was talking he whispered something to Rowan, who very briefly replied and waved him away. When the Edomites started to take out cigarette cases, Cruise was seen to reach into the inner pocket of his suit as well, only to stop as he saw them reversing course. Snyder was taking notes similar to Ober and had to adjust her dress more than once with some irritation. Feng and Martin both looked thoughtful, Martin occasionally tapping at his phone in his lap while Feng sat more serenely with his fingers steepled. Ferrain sat straight-backed with a neutral expression, having doffed his cap.

"Make the other lazy bastards in the Region pay for some of the security we're trying to provide, right?" said Count Lalery from the window. Elizabeth Corbulo smiled like she was trying to suppress a physical reaction. There were a few chuckles from around the table.

"Must you perch there like a Goblin Monkey?" Nicanor remarked.

"I told you I hate those chairs," Lalery responded.

"I don't care about the chairs," said the King irritably. "Count Lalery is quite right. The rest of the Region will allow us to keep up the cost of maintaining war footing levels of operation for two carrier groups and ground operations in that part of the Region as long as we let them. Yet their commerce and other operations in the region depend on security as much as ours."

At Lalery's joke, both Ober and Snyder seemed to have oddly identical reactions; their eyebrows raised, their lips pursed, and they nodded in agreement. It got a chuckle and a smirk out of Cruise, a rather prim glance out of Bailey, and a slight smile out of Fortner.

The Adirans then watched the exchange between Lalery and Nicanor, too polite to say anything. Rowan followed the two men with his eyes before glancing back at Elijah, who then brought the meeting to heel.

Seemingly thinking nothing of the exchange, Rowan spoke first in response to Elijah. "Considering the strategic importance of shipping in and around the Ura Sea, I'm inclined to agree on all points. I'm looking forward to seeing what you propose in greater detail, and I concur that it's not exactly reasonable that three nations alone should bear the full expense, risk, and responsibility of defending that area permanently."

"We do have some thoughts on how to improve security in the area on our end. We should talk about the details of that when...I believe we're discussing Arcologia tonight?" Fortner asked, raising a finger as though a note ought to be made of it. "Our general idea is that it's not the severity but the certainty of punishment that will, as you say sir, make piracy unprofitable," he said, motioning to Elijah. "For example, improved patrols and reconnaissance would help detect and defend against unconventional coastal raids and piracy. We'd prefer the southerners to stand on their own two feet, but if not..." He shrugged.

Bailey then spoke for the first time. "While we're on the subject I think we should also discuss the possible expansion of the CPO mission in Isla Sanctum as well. It already exists, it has the general approval of local governments already, and the CPO can provide the framework for a multinational mission. It just needs stronger support and backing."

"What's the next item on the agenda?" intervened Prince Enoch languidly as though asking what was for dessert. For no reason apparent to anyone, he smiled at Snyder.

"Perhaps a natural segue into general security in Arcologia, Excellency?" Bailey suggested, addressing Enoch directly. Snyder noticed Enoch's smile and returned it briefly with what might have seemed a hawklike gaze, although she didn't intend it that way.

The First Lady had been informed before attending that Hesperinius' wife would be present. She had gotten her bewilderment at the age difference out of the way back in New Laconia. Upon being introduced to Olympia, she offered her condolences. "Your Excellency, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's terrible, just terrible," she said sadly. Unless the Countess spoke on it further, however, she didn't dwell on it.

Martha Pendergast was generally quieter and a bit less engaged, although she seemed to wear a more or less permanent smile. When they were introduced to the pets, Leslie Rowan was petting Mara's dog and approached Ajax with interest and fascination. "Is it all right to pet him? Does he like that? Or should I just feed him?" Martha, on the other hand, seemed a bit nervous around the griffon and didn't seem to shower any particular affection on Precious. She seemed to prefer small talk.

When they were brought to the nursery, Leslie made the most fuss over the young Prince, although she didn't take liberties. When Josias socked Precious the First Lady said something like "Aw--oh, oh, uh oh..." After they were separated, she said to Mara "Reminds me of my oldest. Our dog back then would 'baby-proof' himself when he came crawling towards him, tuck all his legs under himself. Hank was a bit of a bruiser at that age..."

Fortner's girlfriend Michelle felt more or less out of her depth and so largely followed along. When it came to the aquaponics however, Michelle perked up and seemed more knowledgeable on it than the other two women. "I've heard of this...it's kind of like the green roofs and rooftop gardens they're pushing in cities back home," she explained, leaning over part of the lab and studying it with some interest. "But the rooftop gardens won't feed a whole block, nothing like this if it's scaled up. They're more about promoting healthier diets by making produce more affordable in the cities."

"And the green roofs don't really produce food. They filter rainwater, reduce runoff, keep cities cooler, but they're mostly really hardy grasses, low-maintenance. I just hope with the economy they can keep it up..." Michelle at this point realized she'd been going on at some length, and Leslie and Martha were looking at her quizzically. "What? There was a municipal ballot initiative on subsidies for green roofs this election cycle, I helped out there."

"Well it seems like an excellent idea, ma'am," Leslie said brightly to Mara. "Imagine if everyone in Fineberg could have fresh, local, affordable, sustainable food. You can end hunger and everybody would have a bit more money in their pockets, right?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:10 pm

Padan-Aran

Seemingly thinking nothing of the exchange, Rowan spoke first in response to Elijah. "Considering the strategic importance of shipping in and around the Ura Sea, I'm inclined to agree on all points. I'm looking forward to seeing what you propose in greater detail, and I concur that it's not exactly reasonable that three nations alone should bear the full expense, risk, and responsibility of defending that area permanently."

There were nodding heads and a few thumps on the table in response to this from the Edomites. Lalery did so as well. "A lot of expense, risk and responsibility, Mr. President, indeed."

"We do have some thoughts on how to improve security in the area on our end. We should talk about the details of that when...I believe we're discussing Arcologia tonight?" Fortner asked, raising a finger as though a note ought to be made of it. "Our general idea is that it's not the severity but the certainty of punishment that will, as you say sir, make piracy unprofitable," he said, motioning to Elijah. "For example, improved patrols and reconnaissance would help detect and defend against unconventional coastal raids and piracy. We'd prefer the southerners to stand on their own two feet, but if not..." He shrugged.

"We shall look forward to hearing them tonight, sir," said Unwerth. "As you say, consistency is equally important with severity."

"That's not what he said," muttered Geta in Baran.

Bailey then spoke for the first time. "While we're on the subject I think we should also discuss the possible expansion of the CPO mission in Isla Sanctum as well. It already exists, it has the general approval of local governments already, and the CPO can provide the framework for a multinational mission. It just needs stronger support and backing."

The New Edomites were a little quiet in response to this remark, but Geta said, "I think I'm inclined to agree, sir," he looked at Elijah, "But with this caveat: that we discuss the likelihood of support of such a mission by other members, bearing in mind there are two other large missions going on right now on the Othmani-Lazodirian border and of course between the border area that is...er...in contention now. It may be a matter of priority."

"We will put that on the table, sir?" offered Nicanor, glancing at Elijah also. The King curtly nodded.

"Perhaps a natural segue into general security in Arcologia, Excellency?" Bailey suggested, addressing Enoch directly. Snyder noticed Enoch's smile and returned it briefly with what might have seemed a hawklike gaze, although she didn't intend it that way.

Prince Enoch was smiling because he was imagining the effect of suggesting to Snyder that the removal of her clothing altogether would make her more comfortable. "Yes, that seems wise," suggested Prince Enoch. "Madame Secretary."

"And since Arcologia has a lot to do with control of resources, both human and material in the Region, yes," said Lalery. "And that brings us as well to FODE. Our government and yours are each tasked with doing our best for our own nations, but of course no country is an island even if it's Tericio." Lalery paused as some of the Edomites chuckled. "Economically, that is. Some banker farts in Avantine and suddenly we have 5000 layoffs in Nass. You all know what I mean," he bowed slightly to Rowan and Elijah with surprising grace for such a strong built man. "We don't want to roll over anyone with our oil power, contrary to the opinions of some. Mr. President, Mr. Secretary," he looked at Pendergrast, "We have been doing alright, but New Edom wants to propose a more formal agreement on how to achieve principles of fairness and balance to protect our commerce, energy sources and maintenance of natural and manufactured resources. Included in this, I hope, will be talk of how to handle the recession in general."

"And there are already talks between Tericio and Novitera, speaking of," added Ashdod. He was not able to smoke so he was popping mints into his mouth every now and then. "Discrete ones, at this stage. Feelers."

The First Lady had been informed before attending that Hesperinius' wife would be present. She had gotten her bewilderment at the age difference out of the way back in New Laconia. Upon being introduced to Olympia, she offered her condolences. "Your Excellency, I'm so sorry for your loss. It's terrible, just terrible," she said sadly.

Olympia's eyes swam, but she looked gratefully at Leslie Rowan. "Thank you, that's awfully kind of you Mrs. Rowan. I cannot believe he is gone still. It is hard, you know, to marry a man so much older, and it was difficult at first but I came to value him so much. I still have my children, and that is a comfort. And Her Majesty has been so kind."

"How could we not be?" Mara protested. "And you know, the general was such an influence on our family. He was like an uncle not of blood, and he was like a father to Enoch and Thomas. Especially after their own fathers had died."

Martha Pendergast was generally quieter and a bit less engaged, although she seemed to wear a more or less permanent smile. When they were introduced to the pets, Leslie Rowan was petting Mara's dog and approached Ajax with interest and fascination. "Is it all right to pet him? Does he like that? Or should I just feed him?" Martha, on the other hand, seemed a bit nervous around the griffon and didn't seem to shower any particular affection on Precious. She seemed to prefer small talk.

Precious did a few tricks on command, standing on his hind legs, dancing in a little circle and jumping around at Mara's orders. He liked the attention. Ajax was more regal and wary, and Mara advised Leslie on how to approach the flightless predator. "He likes having his neck and back stroked gently," Mara explained, "But you should let him get to know you first. It's surprising how if you raise them from a chick they respond so readily. The funny thing is, Ajax doesn't like other Griffins at all, he will chase them away if he sees them. I'm not sure if he's jealous or just sees himself as a kind of person."

When they were brought to the nursery, Leslie made the most fuss over the young Prince, although she didn't take liberties. When Josias socked Precious the First Lady said something like "Aw--oh, oh, uh oh..." After they were separated, she said to Mara "Reminds me of my oldest. Our dog back then would 'baby-proof' himself when he came crawling towards him, tuck all his legs under himself. Hank was a bit of a bruiser at that age..."

"Oh dear," said Mara. "Well boys will be boys! Would we have it any other way? But they must be taught to be gentlemen, mustn't they?" Josias had begun to cry angrily as he was put in a time out, his face flushing and eyes leaking fat tears. "Sorry, little one, but it's for your own good," Mara said.

Fortner's girlfriend Michelle felt more or less out of her depth and so largely followed along. When it came to the aquaponics however, Michelle perked up and seemed more knowledgeable on it than the other two women. "I've heard of this...it's kind of like the green roofs and rooftop gardens they're pushing in cities back home," she explained, leaning over part of the lab and studying it with some interest. "But the rooftop gardens won't feed a whole block, nothing like this if it's scaled up. They're more about promoting healthier diets by making produce more affordable in the cities."

"And the green roofs don't really produce food. They filter rainwater, reduce runoff, keep cities cooler, but they're mostly really hardy grasses, low-maintenance. I just hope with the economy they can keep it up..." Michelle at this point realized she'd been going on at some length, and Leslie and Martha were looking at her quizzically. "What? There was a municipal ballot initiative on subsidies for green roofs this election cycle, I helped out there."

"Oh yes, it's quite different," said Mara brightly. "Those such as you've got back home are for energy saving and environmental improvement, which is fine of course for that purpose, but these are to provide food as well as having a low impact. If you think about it, it also lowers the carbon footprint, lowers cost of maintaining transportation, communication systems, it is truly a revolutionary idea. The problem is implementing it fully, but of course we have an easier way of it than you; we have so many people struggling to make a decent living they can be brought to a job center and taught to make it all work, given the work for their part of the neighborhood, and all people need to do is register. Then in four weeks they start getting their food deliveries depending on their contributions, and really, the contributions are not that much. There are other problems, as well. But aren't there always?"

"Well it seems like an excellent idea, ma'am," Leslie said brightly to Mara. "Imagine if everyone in Fineberg could have fresh, local, affordable, sustainable food. You can end hunger and everybody would have a bit more money in their pockets, right?"

"If they wear pockets," said Olympia slyly at which the Edomite ladies laughed.

"True, though pockets are overrated," Mara said. "I'm really happiest when the most I have on my person is a shoulder bag and sandals, clothing...but forgive me, you are not Edenists. However I have often felt so close to our peasants and Edenist people when I live like they do, and many of them are comforted by that, that I live as the old rulers did, simply. What would you like to see next?"

"You're very lovely," murmured Princess Desiree to Michelle. "Are you Mr. Fortner's mistress? I must say I am impressed by the natural beauty your people show in your attractive ladies."
Last edited by New Edom on Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Padan-Aran

Before the meeting progressed much past Lalery's remarks, Bailey held up a hand. "With all due respect, Excellency, we seem to have glossed over Arcologia entirely just there. There's also the matter of the Arvo in particular," Bailey said with a slight smile to Lalery. Snyder, Cruise, and Martin were seen to look up and watch Bailey. "Their circumstances are different from the average pirate. We should therefore be sure to discuss what we expect out of negotiations with the Arvo Nation, including territorial claims and the status of prisoners on all sides of the conflict." Rowan's staff were seen to relax a bit after this, Martin glancing back at his phone, the others turning their attention back to the conversation as a whole.

"I'm in general agreement with you, Secretary, but furthermore," Rowan added with a rather cold expression, "there must not be a repeat of Virden, or Stone Harbor, for that matter. We hope--and cautiously have some reason to believe--that the Arvo will open negotiations reasonably soon, but I think we should discuss contingencies in the event that they do not. Given the Arvo's history, I don't think it's premature to consider that possibility. Now, as you were saying about the economy..."

Pendergast had been listening, by this point resting his chin on his hand languidly. "If Secretary Bailey wishes to continue the discussion on Arcologia any further, reopening the shipping lanes through the Greater Diols might stimulate the economy down south..." Pendergast chided with a grin.

"No, it seems we've moved on, Secretary," Bailey replied a bit coolly.

"Anyway, Excellency, I'm glad to hear New Edom continues to value the trade between our nations. I want to assure all of you that we're certainly not following some fool notion of 'self-sufficiency' like the Urdnots," Pendergast joked, mostly addressing Lalery but also making gestures to the room as a whole. He seemed to be putting on something of a performance. "We all benefit and profit from trade, of course, and I think we ought to recognize that trade can help keep our heads above water in this storm. We've seen in past panics where governments think the safest option is to shut all the gates to the castle, let no one in who might compete, just to be safe. But really what that is, is a siege, self-imposed. To drop all the metaphors, protectionism in uncertain times usually causes trade wars and prices hikes when people can least afford them. That, I think, is our worst-case scenario, one we ought to talk about preventing, or else this recession could turn into a depression."

"And as far as oil goes," Rowan said, taking the initiative from Pendergast, "energy security is vital to all nations. The recent crisis has driven that home in the minds of the Adiran people. In my campaign I said that all options are on the table, and I meant it. One of the problems in our energy market is that FODE created a great deal of uncertainty. Secretary General Reyes' term may be up, but the Imperium is still part of FODE, and they've shown themselves willing to put politics before business. There are lingering fears which a more formal agreement, Excellency, might be just the solution," he said, looking at Lalery. "We shall have to discuss it further, along with our domestic policy responses to the recession in general."

"Old money meets new, huh?" Pendergast commented on Ashdod's remark about the Noviterans in Tericio. "Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall on that office, though. If I know the Noviterans, I'd bet they're looking to get somebody to buy their treasury bonds, and Tericio's not the worst place to look," he speculated.

"Oh yes, it's quite different," said Mara brightly. "Those such as you've got back home are for energy saving and environmental improvement, which is fine of course for that purpose, but these are to provide food as well as having a low impact. If you think about it, it also lowers the carbon footprint, lowers cost of maintaining transportation, communication systems, it is truly a revolutionary idea. The problem is implementing it fully, but of course we have an easier way of it than you; we have so many people struggling to make a decent living they can be brought to a job center and taught to make it all work, given the work for their part of the neighborhood, and all people need to do is register. Then in four weeks they start getting their food deliveries depending on their contributions, and really, the contributions are not that much. There are other problems, as well. But aren't there always?"

"Always something, ma'am. Maintenance and water use were two issues that kept coming up at home. For the green roofs to make them more affordable they wanted plants that'll survive just fine in whatever climate they're in, on however much rain they get naturally," Michelle explained with obvious interest. "It's hard to explain sometimes how much it's worth it in the end. So how much maintenance does it usually need? Will you need to hire a lot of people?"

"If they wear pockets," said Olympia slyly at which the Edomite ladies laughed.

"True, though pockets are overrated," Mara said. "I'm really happiest when the most I have on my person is a shoulder bag and sandals, clothing...but forgive me, you are not Edenists. However I have often felt so close to our peasants and Edenist people when I live like they do, and many of them are comforted by that, that I live as the old rulers did, simply. What would you like to see next?"

Leslie and Michelle laughed at Olympia's joke. Martha's eyes widened a bit in surprise but did manage to affect a smile. "Well I think you've been doing just great, ma'am, following your beliefs and setting a good example," Leslie said to Mara with a smile. "You know, I'd like to see the living room. It feels like I'm still trying to get things set in our new home..." She would have talked about decorating 1 Sierra for a bit unless someone changed the subject. Martha complemented some of the ladies in waiting about their dresses, asking where they got them, if they'd been specially tailored.

"You're very lovely," murmured Princess Desiree to Michelle. "Are you Mr. Fortner's mistress? I must say I am impressed by the natural beauty your people show in your attractive ladies."

"Oh, thank you..." Michelle started to reply, only to flush at Desiree's next words. "Mistress? I, um, no, I'm his girlfriend," she stammered, flustered and seemingly rather appalled at the notion.
Last edited by Hittanryan on Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:29 pm

Padan-Aran

Before the meeting progressed much past Lalery's remarks, Bailey held up a hand. "With all due respect, Excellency, we seem to have glossed over Arcologia entirely just there. There's also the matter of the Arvo in particular," Bailey said with a slight smile to Lalery. Snyder, Cruise, and Martin were seen to look up and watch Bailey. "Their circumstances are different from the average pirate. We should therefore be sure to discuss what we expect out of negotiations with the Arvo Nation, including territorial claims and the status of prisoners on all sides of the conflict." Rowan's staff were seen to relax a bit after this, Martin glancing back at his phone, the others turning their attention back to the conversation as a whole.

"Negotiate with the Arvo?" said Nicanor heavily. "The Arvo will fight till they realize they are destroyed, that's the sort of folk they are. WE must cut 'em up, show them that their actions are futile, then they will surrender and talk terms. Until then, they'll skin anyone sent to them alive. Look how they treat their prisoners."

"Even in the face of overwhelming odds against them in the counterattack of the 18th at Stone Harbor," said General Unwerth, "They refused to surrender. It actually came to hand to hand fighting a few times. We can thank the Christ that the Edomite soldier is trained excellently in such hand to hand combat and melee combat." There were enthusiastic thumps on the table at this, though Lalery kept his hands in his pockets and the King frowned at this enthusiasm.

Geta had heard all this before. He was lost in a dream again, though aware of the conversation. He was thinking of Gwen Turner. Pink, red, or brown? Each delightful in their way. The shape, the scent, the touch, all important. He delighted in imagining helping her overcome some shyness, as many women had, about the various shapes and textures of the font of life...

"What?"

"I said," Nicanor rumbled, staring at him, "What are your thoughts on rules of engagement as pertains to possible peace talks concerning Arcologia?"

"Oh yes indeed," said Geta, with a bright smile, "And that should be on the agenda. Yes. That is how it should be." He began to write something on a notepad. "Of course, the principle negotiations will involve us, the Imperium, Adiron, and the CPO naturally. The natives will have to take the crumbs they merit."

"Let's leave that for now. We were talking about economic issues," said Lalery, cutting the air with a blunt hand.

"I'm in general agreement with you, Secretary, but furthermore," Rowan added with a rather cold expression, "there must not be a repeat of Virden, or Stone Harbor, for that matter. We hope--and cautiously have some reason to believe--that the Arvo will open negotiations reasonably soon, but I think we should discuss contingencies in the event that they do not. Given the Arvo's history, I don't think it's premature to consider that possibility. Now, as you were saying about the economy..."

Pendergast had been listening, by this point resting his chin on his hand languidly. "If Secretary Bailey wishes to continue the discussion on Arcologia any further, reopening the shipping lanes through the Greater Diols might stimulate the economy down south..." Pendergast chided with a grin.

"No, it seems we've moved on, Secretary," Bailey replied a bit coolly.

"Anyway, Excellency, I'm glad to hear New Edom continues to value the trade between our nations. I want to assure all of you that we're certainly not following some fool notion of 'self-sufficiency' like the Urdnots," Pendergast joked, mostly addressing Lalery but also making gestures to the room as a whole. He seemed to be putting on something of a performance. "We all benefit and profit from trade, of course, and I think we ought to recognize that trade can help keep our heads above water in this storm. We've seen in past panics where governments think the safest option is to shut all the gates to the castle, let no one in who might compete, just to be safe. But really what that is, is a siege, self-imposed. To drop all the metaphors, protectionism in uncertain times usually causes trade wars and prices hikes when people can least afford them. That, I think, is our worst-case scenario, one we ought to talk about preventing, or else this recession could turn into a depression."

"We can put that on the table too. What we will want to talk about mostly is a means by which negotiations can happen more quickly concerning oil and resources," Count Lalery said. "A kind of regional forum or regular meeting by those responsible nations who can help regulate trade and finance so that we can avoid unnecessary snarls. Competition yes, trade wars less so. Better for everyone even when we want knives in one another's bowels, right?"

"And as far as oil goes," Rowan said, taking the initiative from Pendergast, "energy security is vital to all nations. The recent crisis has driven that home in the minds of the Adiran people. In my campaign I said that all options are on the table, and I meant it. One of the problems in our energy market is that FODE created a great deal of uncertainty. Secretary General Reyes' term may be up, but the Imperium is still part of FODE, and they've shown themselves willing to put politics before business. There are lingering fears which a more formal agreement, Excellency, might be just the solution," he said, looking at Lalery. "We shall have to discuss it further, along with our domestic policy responses to the recession in general."

"FODE created uncertainty yes, and where it was merited to do so," said Nicanor courteously. "It is easy to complain about protectionism, but an unstable economy for your people means a long line at the gas pump. For us it meant people not being able to feed their children." There were a few rumbles of agreement.

"Yes it's different," said Lalery. "Who cares? Let's focus on the matter at hand."

"I hope it is clear that we must support our allies, but we want to do so in such a way as makes peace more possible," said Nicanor, ignoring him. "So such an agreement, Mr. President, should be discussed towards that end."

Pendergrast's remarks about Tericio broke a bit of the tension. "Old money meets new, huh?" Pendergast commented on Ashdod's remark about the Noviterans in Tericio. "Wouldn't mind being a fly on the wall on that office, though. If I know the Noviterans, I'd bet they're looking to get somebody to buy their treasury bonds, and Tericio's not the worst place to look," he speculated.

"Tericians are just Noviterans who know which fork to use," said Lalery with a short laugh. "Other than bankers, financiers and technocrats the place is a wasteland of decadence. Everyone half out of their minds on drugs, sell their own right arms for a good investment plan, and all the women are whores."

"There are ladies present," said King Elijah curtly. "Please moderate your remarks. Master of Offices, please sum up."

"Sir," said Prince Enoch, hiding laughter at Lalery. It was true of course. His pretty Delia had leaned in and whispered to him, handing him her electronic notepad. Enoch read from it, skimming over some unnecessary details. "First: discussion about timetables and numbers for border reductions between the Imperium and Adiron towards the aim of improving conditions for peace negotiations. Second: discussion of nautical security in the Ura Sea and Lesser Diols, with the possibility of inclusion of the CPO or other government forces to reduce logistical and operational obligations on the part of our two nations. Third: discussion of rules of engagement and negotiations concerning Arcologia, specifically with regard to hostilities with the Arvo. Finally, discussion of how to improve economic negotiations concerning FODE. Did I leave anything out?" he asked amiably.

"Always something, ma'am. Maintenance and water use were two issues that kept coming up at home. For the green roofs to make them more affordable they wanted plants that'll survive just fine in whatever climate they're in, on however much rain they get naturally," Michelle explained with obvious interest. "It's hard to explain sometimes how much it's worth it in the end. So how much maintenance does it usually need? Will you need to hire a lot of people?"

"Yes, it will take maintenance," Mara explained, "You need actually to have a lab for each neighborhood, really, that can take samples for ph, algae, bacteria, protozoa and other potential problems. For example one thing we had a problem with, still do really, is snail eggs. We have an invasive species of snail that not only outbreed some of our natural invertebrates, but they eat the others out of house and home. Soon all a pond might have are these green snails and algae, and they can live in stagnant water, in fact they seem to prefer it and instinctively create those conditions."

Leslie and Michelle laughed at Olympia's joke. Martha's eyes widened a bit in surprise but did manage to affect a smile. "Well I think you've been doing just great, ma'am, following your beliefs and setting a good example," Leslie said to Mara with a smile. "You know, I'd like to see the living room. It feels like I'm still trying to get things set in our new home..." She would have talked about decorating 1 Sierra for a bit unless someone changed the subject. Martha complemented some of the ladies in waiting about their dresses, asking where they got them, if they'd been specially tailored.

Mara said, "You're so nice! Well sure you can, but...it's not exactly a living room. What we have is a music room, a couple of sitting rooms, an entertainment room, a library, and a ballroom...any of those strike your fancy?"

"Oh, we took Olympia shopping in Tericio," explained Countess Sharra. "My gosh, all that glass and metal, it's like shopping in a sort of glass tower. Anyway it's nice to get out there now and then, you know, and get a bit of a break."

"I apologize for my ladies, they suffer the sin of vanity," said Mara with a not unkind glance at them. "They love getting their hair done and shopping for dresses and shoes and things like that. I cannot break them of the habit, because I am too gentle hearted. My sister would have had you all sent to a penal battalion by now."

"If you did that, you'd come with us out of pity," said Olympia Hesperinus. They all laughed.

"Oh, thank you..." Michelle started to reply, only to flush at Desiree's next words. "Mistress? I, um, no, I'm his girlfriend," she stammered, flustered and seemingly rather appalled at the notion.

"Oh, you're not lovers then?" Princess Desiree said. "Well it's nice that he brought a friend. New Edomite men don't tend to make friends with women. They tend to see them as wives, family, sweethearts, that sort of thing, though they're getting more used to the idea of them as colleagues. we should join the others. What is it you do, my dear? Something involving botany?"

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:37 pm

Padan-Aran

"FODE created uncertainty yes, and where it was merited to do so," said Nicanor courteously. "It is easy to complain about protectionism, but an unstable economy for your people means a long line at the gas pump. For us it meant people not being able to feed their children." There were a few rumbles of agreement.

"Yes it's different," said Lalery. "Who cares? Let's focus on the matter at hand."

"I hope it is clear that we must support our allies, but we want to do so in such a way as makes peace more possible," said Nicanor, ignoring him. "So such an agreement, Mr. President, should be discussed towards that end."

Nicanor's remarks about FODE's uncertainty being merited and Adiron's economic hardships seemed to get something of a reaction from some of the Adirans. Snyder looked up at Nicanor and studied him thoughtfully. Feng and Martin whispered back and forth to each other for a moment until Lalery spoke, at which point he seemed to catch their attention.

For his part, Rowan made eye contact with Nicanor. There was no menace in Rowan's gaze, not that a man such as Nicanor could likely be intimidated by an Adiran like Rowan, anyway. Instead there was simply a cold curiosity.

The President's expression had returned to neutral amicability by the time he replied. "Naturally we hope that any agreement we reach here will make peace more possible for the sake of all parties involved."

"Tericians are just Noviterans who know which fork to use," said Lalery with a short laugh. "Other than bankers, financiers and technocrats the place is a wasteland of decadence. Everyone half out of their minds on drugs, sell their own right arms for a good investment plan, and all the women are whores."

"There are ladies present," said King Elijah curtly. "Please moderate your remarks. Master of Offices, please sum up."

Cruise nodded approvingly at Lalery's remark, though it wasn't clear if he was agreeing with Lalery or if it sounded like his kind of place. Pendergast grinned and glanced over at Fortner, who largely did the same. It looked like Pendergast was inhaling as though to respond amiably when Elijah rebuked Lalery, prompting Pendergast to raise his eyebrows and hush up. Rowan's expression was neutral. Of the ladies actually in the room, Snyder didn't react at all. Bailey sat up a bit primly, not looking at Lalery. Turner looked to be mostly stifling a somewhat embarrassed giggle, managing to turn it into a pleasant smile, likely to Geta's delight.

Bailey had frowned at Nicanor and Geta's words on Arcologia. Looking troubled, she clearly had more to say on the matter and likely would have if Rowan hadn't intervened.

Once Enoch finished his summary, Bailey spoke up once more. "That's everything we've discussed so far, although there should be one more item on the itinerary, Excellency: the subject of human rights," she asserted, looking at Enoch.

Mara said, "You're so nice! Well sure you can, but...it's not exactly a living room. What we have is a music room, a couple of sitting rooms, an entertainment room, a library, and a ballroom...any of those strike your fancy?"

"Oh, well, maybe the ballroom? I'm trying to figure out if I can do anything with the one back home and I couldn't tell you where to start..." Leslie replied to Mara.

"Ah, Tericio. We visited Tericio last year, in fact, I got these shoes there," Martha was saying to Countess Sharra

"What? A penal battalion? Why?" Leslie asked innocently. "Oh, what's the harm in cutting loose at least once in a while?" she said with a sympathetic look towards the two ladies.

Michelle had finished her talk with Mara before moving on and being approached by Desiree. "Well, no, we're more than just friends, we're, you know, dating," she tried to explain, perhaps futilely. "Anyway, yes I did take some ecology and bio courses in undergrad, but I majored in PoliSci. I'm in law school now, no such thing as electives anymore."

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:03 pm

Padan-Aran

Count Lalery winked at Pendergrast during the settling down from his joke. Geta was pleased by Turner's blush; it was like a dream coming true. However he maintained a decorous mien due to the King's disapproval. The King treated every meeting like it was a briefing.

The King looked up sharply at the mention of human rights. Prince Enoch leaned in and whispered, "We discussed it sir, about what Secretary Bailey raised concerns about."

"Yes." The King said. "Human rights. We are a Christian nation. It was well written that 'And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.'" Elijah smiled faintly. "A small scriptural joke."

The Edomites all chuckled fondly with every appearance of enjoyment of the joke, either because they found it so or because what the boss finds funny is funny.

King Elijah glanced at Bailey with his rare, genuine smile, which transformed that long melancholy face into a kindly one. "Of course in context that is to say:

When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:

And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats:

And he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.

Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:

Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me.

Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink?

When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?

Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?

And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

For I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink:

I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not.

Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee?

Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me.

And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

"So we must be mindful of these injunctions. But, Secretary Bailey, we are but poor sinners, trying to learn the ways of the Lord. I have made this part of my own work: to remove those obstacles that prevent people from seeing the Kingdom of Heaven in the veriest speck. To that end my wife and myself have laboured to establish agrarian reforms, democratic reforms, to be more merciful towards our criminals, to provide more education without risking people's immortal souls, to cooperate more with our neighbors, faithful or heathen."

There were loud thumps on the table from many present, even Lalery nodded vigorously.

So I am resolved to do.I will be pleased to continue to work with Isidum, with the CPO and other altruistic organizations." King Elijah looked directly at Bailey with his kindly smile. "Does that answer your concern, Secretary Bailey?"

Queen Mara laughed. "You know, I just mean my sister is a lot more strict than I am. Everything for her must be comme il faut. She's a lot more tough than me, she takes a lot more after our great-grandfather, Solomon III. Just look at one of his pictures sometime, you'll feel like straightening up and being a good girl just at the sight of him, whether he's thirty or seventy."

She began to lead them to the ballroom. "We use the ballroom sometimes for actual balls and events, and actually Mama had it redone when she was younger because the floors were getting worn down. She had this real artist come from Rome, he layered the floor with four layers of packing and support in the old fashioned way. I'm sure you'll love it, Mrs. Rowan."

"Not you," she added to Ajax as they went in through one of the patio doors, a servant bowing and opening the door for them. Ajax fluffed his feathers and walked away slowly, regally.

As they headed down a sandy wall painted hallway passing icons in alcoves to dark complexioned saints, they could hear music coming from the ballroom. It had a tropical saxophone wailing sound to it. It was from Novitera's rough past, and a bit risque for New Edom, perhaps, in the implicaiton of the lyrics, but only a bit, for it was of a style no longer popular save for the nostalgic for the most part.

"Oh my gosh, they're practicing!" Mara exclaimed. without thinking, to the ladies in waitings' giggling surprise she naturally began to sway to the music as they came into the room, which had an upper gallery looking over a wooden paneled floor in geometic patterns, pillars surrounding it in a neo-classical manner, and a vaulted ceiling for acoustics. There was a stage as well as a musicians' pit, where the band was performing. Two of the palace staff, in dinner jackets, were sitting on chairs listening to the band. They got up and bowed politely and Mara nodded and gestured to them to relax.

"Throw off your glasses, give 'em a wink to all the flappers and the mobbing Gallows Street rat finks..." Mara sang a bit. "Well they're in tune and playing well...sorry about that," she said to Leslie, Martha and Michelle. "I just love music! So this is the ballroom, it's good for about 200, that's it...

Hittanryan
Powerbroker

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Hittanryan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:39 pm

Shiloam Palace

Rowan and Bailey both smiled, but more as a response to the laughs around them; it was clear the joke had gone over their head whatever it was. Pendergast and Fortner both gave a dutiful chuckle, joining in even though neither understood the joke any better than the others. Most of the staff just looked puzzled, Ober glancing around the room, Snyder blinking rapidly, Martin pausing and looking upwards as he tried to figure it out, Feng looking over at the stone-faced Ferrain.

While Elijah spoke, Bailey was listening intently, occasionally glancing at the other Edomites in the room. The other Adirans listened politely. Once Elijah had finished and the Edomites had thumped their approvals, she replied.

So I am resolved to do.I will be pleased to continue to work with Isidum, with the CPO and other altruistic organizations." King Elijah looked directly at Bailey with his kindly smile. "Does that answer your concern, Secretary Bailey?"

"It does, sir, and I am heartened to know that your government will seek to continue the progress of recent years," Bailey said, returning Elijah's smile. "Based on the policies which you mentioned it is clear, I think, that you and Her Majesty the Queen seek to live and rule in imitation of Christ as best as you are able. According to the Biblical principles which you just recited so well, in addition to others, human life has intrinsic value. So long as you govern according to that principle, then I'm convinced that we can find common ground on the issue of human rights."

"It sounds like we're in agreement then: we can discuss this in greater detail following the other four items on the agenda."

Leslie was tapping her foot to the rhythm, and although they couldn't hear her over the band she was humming along with the tune. "Oh it reminds me of classic movies. It's like jazz, or no, not jazz, more like swing. You like to dance?" she asked Mara while also looking around with some fascination at the decor.

With a bit of an impish smile she added "George couldn't dance to save his life when I first met him. But eventually I got him to the point where he didn't have to count."

Martha smiled politely and watched the band. She commented to the group "He reminds me of someone we saw...actually it was in San Crispiano. We were there years ago and I never set foot in a casino."

Michelle joked to the ladies in waiting "So what kind of dancing do you do to a song like this?"

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:32 am

Shiloam Palace Estate

Whoever Rowan or his staff agreed to designate for the trip to the Capybara farm were to be bundled into land rovers and driven there, which was just a ten minute drive from the Palace itself. People were advised to change into suitable clothing, which meant clothing that one could move in easily, which they did not mind getting dirty, and ideally rubber boots, hats and of course sun screen. Other staff or cabinet of course could remain at the Palace.

It was clear that no one from the Council of Ministers was going. The King and Queen were accompanied by Captain Peleg, Colonel Horvath, Countess Sharra, Countess Hesperinus and of course security and drivers. The King had changed into a bush jacket, sturdy trousers and knee high rubber boots and wore a military style forage cap. Precious was left behind but two lean brown hunting hounds accompanied the two Royals in their land rover. Rowan and Leslie were invited to accompany them.

Prince Enoch had spoken to Ober in private, and advised, "The King will want to show the farm and get a reaction, but after that he'll be open to discussions in private with the President and First Lady, as will the Queen. It's an opportunity for that, you see." He had begun to wonder if Ober grasped this but felt the opportunity should not be missed. "Also they can both be briefly free of cabinet or council and talk frankly if they should wish."

The drive gave a glimpse of the lake and the ancient palace near it where the last ceremonies of the royal birthdays would take place. Beyond that, before them, lay a flood plain with some built up embanked roads. The area was vivid with reddish brown moving bodies in scattered groups, about a thousand of them. Here and there among them flocks of birds moved--shiny cowbirds or egrets, swifts and storks. Some of these would catch a ride on a larger capybara's back from time to time. Others waded in the rivulets and pools, looking for invertebrates, catfish or amphibians.

On the way, Mara chatted amiably, talking excitedly about how proud she was of this farming effort. "It's very economical and environmentally sound. The only thing is that like most larger animals they don't breed very often. Gestation is about 159 days, you see, and then it takes months for them to grow to full size. However they can get up to 90 pounds, which is pretty good. They also have litters rather than single young like sheep. I'm afraid we still can't beat the pig for litter size or meat yield, but since these are grass feeders there's that to balance it out..."

"Listen!" she said when they came to a halt. "Hear that?"

Indeed, one could hear the chorus of the capybara. Whistles, grunts, squeaks, barks and an odd purring sound from the younger ones was heard almost constantly. Now and then a pair of males would threat display or squabble if the harems strayed too close. The males were obviously bigger, looking almost twice the size of females. All had the odd serene expression fo the capybara.

"Fine animals, eh?" said the King. "We had a bit of a problem with some disease before but we have a good lab at the university focusing on that. We're trying to figure out if it is a natural way of lowering population or if it's something foreign. I've got my eye on the big fellow over there..." he pointed out a huge male with about fourteen females and more than sixty young of various sorts around him. "He's one of my best breeders. You see those youngsters watching? They're going to come into season soon and they'll be challenging him. Now and then..." he smiled as two began to fight and another joined in, the young males rearing up and slapping at one another with webbed feet, baring big incisor teeth. "Practice makes perfect, eh? What do you think of arm life, Mr. President?"

The Palace

Most of the Council of Ministers repaired to the adjoining room to the little dining hall where the buffet had been freshened and began to fill their plates. They immediately began gossiping and chatting about things, engaging the Adirans if they chose to join in. They spoke of football, children, music, sports, and expressed interest in the food and drink itself. A number of the staff however relayed out of the room to check messages in a hallway. This was called 'taking a smoke' as the Adirans would discover, though the higher ranking officials seemed to smoke freely enough without the King present, lighting cigars, cigarillos and cigarettes.

Lalery was speaking with Ashdod, Enoch, Geta and Unwerth in a little group as they had gathered around one of the buffet tables. They were selecting shrimp with the heads still on, ("Special dispensation, dig in," Unwerth said gleefully.) stuffed tomatoes and peppers, delicate pastries stuffed with spinach and cheese, lightly grilled tuna and salmon on toasted pita wedges with herb seasonings, diced lightly grilled yam and fruit. Lalery told a joke, and was expressive about it, using his hands, different inflections, and even distracted Geta from discreetly checking out Gwen Turner.

"There was a Haranese guy riding through the desert on his camel. He had been traveling so long that he felt the need to have sex. Obviously there were no women in the desert so the man turned to his camel. He tried to position himself to have sex with his camel but the camel ran away. The man ran to catch up to the camel and got back on and started to ride again. Soon he was feeling the urge to have sex again so once again he turned to his camel. The camel refused by running away. So he caught up to it again and go on it again. Finally after riding the camel through the whole desert the Haranese came to a road. There was a broken down car with three gorgeous women in it wearing flimsy sundresses, a blonde, a brunette and a redhead. He went up to them and asked the women if they needed any help. The redhead girl said, looking at him pleadingly, with her big blue eyes, says ,"If you fix our car we will do anything you want."

The Haranese guy says, "Really? Anything?"

"The girls chorus "Yes!"

He says, "ANYTHING I want?" they start blowing kisses, running their hands down their bodies, posing for him. "Yes, yes, anything!" they cry out.

So the Haranese guy luckily knew a thing or two about cars and fixed it in a flash. When he finished are three girls asked, "So...what can we do for you?" After thinking for a short while he replied,"Could you hold my camel?" The Edomites burst out laughing even though they'd heard it before.

Prince Enoch went and sat at the piano in the room and began to play casually. He sang and as he was playing the ladies who had not gone along with the farm visit strolled in. Princess Desiree looked on fondly and admiringly but did not embarrass her husband and approach, but she hoped the song was for her as he sang:

Somewhere there's another land
different from this world below,
far more mercifully planned
than the cruel place we know.
Innocence and peace are there--
all is good that is desired.
Faces there are always fair;
love grows never old nor tired.

We shall never find that lovely
land of might-have-been.
I can never be your king nor
you can be my queen.
Days may pass and years may pass
and seas may lie between--
We shall never find that lovely
land of might-have-been.

Sometimes on the rarest nights
comes the vision calm and clear,
gleaming with unearthly lights
on our path of doubt and fear.
Winds from that far land are blown, whispering with secret breath--
hope that plays a tune alone,
love that conquers pain and death.

Shall we ever find that lovely
land of might-have-been?
Will I ever be your king or you
at last my queen?
Days may pass and years may pass
and seas may lie between--
Shall we ever find that lovely
land of might-have-been?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents